6.3

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Mullin is very to the point - she does not sugar coat. She gives you the results and the percentage of chance things can go the way you want them to. She never says no - but will always give you the probability of a positive wether you want to hear it or not. She is very cautious and does not get overly excited...She is fact and reality based and won't fill you up with dreams and maybes. She also does not take risks her goal is to give you one healthy baby at a time.
There are busy hours [at North Shore] so be sure to ask if it is a busy time when making your appointment - Mornings are typically a packed office. If you are going the route of donor eggs - their in house donor pool is not that big so go into that with a you can't be too choosy mindset unless you are willing to pay the extra expenses of going to an egg bank or hiring your own donor both of which can get quite costly as you will need to pay for them to go through the clinics approval process...Everyone in the office will know your name and will give you a big greeting when you arrive. The receptionist knows where everyone is in their cycle and the nurses are all fantastic. They listen and care...The nurses are fabulous at both offices - Mineola and Manhassat. They are caring and supportive and very comforting during a very difficult process. They are not the best communicators and sometimes forget to inform the rest of team about an appointment or a request you made so be sure to write down everything you discuss with them and which nurse you are talking with.
How was your experience with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be sure to go there with an open mind and be prepared to hear things that might go against what you dream of. She is fact and reality based and won't fill you up with dreams and maybes. She also does not take risks her goal is to give you one healthy baby at a time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the protocols Christine Mullin used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
My first cycles were IUI cycles - We were prescribed injectables (Menapur and Gonal-f). The rational for using the injectables was to get me to create as many follicles as possible due to my advanced maternal age. Although I did create follicles both of these cycles were negatives. My recent cycle was a donor egg transfer. I was prescribed oral meds - Estrace and some antibiotics. Then after the transfer, I am continuing with Estrace and Progesterone in Oil injections for about 10 weeks. We are currently pregnant and awaiting our 8 week sonogram.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
The clinic is clean and calming. There are busy hours so be sure to ask if it is a busy time when making your appointment - Mornings are typically a packed office. If you are going the route of donor eggs - their in house donor pool is not that big so go into that with a you can't be too choosy mindset unless you are willing to pay the extra expenses of going to an egg bank or hiring your own donor both of which can get quite costly as you will need to pay for them to go through the clinics approval process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
All office visits went through insurance as well as my IUI cycles so I was only responsible for the co-pay. But my donor cycle was not covered under insurance at all. We were responsible for the entire cycle which when all was said and done it cost us about $32,000. We were the sole recipients of the eggs - so if you did a shared cycle it would be a bit less expensive.
Describe Christine Mullin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Dr Mullin only believes in a single embryo transfer. She feels it is safer. Unless you are under age 35 and specifically request a multi embryo transfer but be prepared to hear all the risks of multi births and how it increases your chance of miscarriage.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr Hershlag was very cold in his consultation appointments. He didn't seem very compassionate or understanding to me. This was the first fertility doctor I had ever gone to and I expected him to be more positive and sensitive in his approach. I also wasn't given detailed information as to the process of this whole thing. He passed me off to the nurses to give me instructions and even then I was left googling info on my own because this was so new to me and I didn't understand everything involved. I just felt like he never had time for me
Scheduling appointments [at North shore Long Island Jewish] were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr Herslag was very cold in his consultation appointments. He didn't seem very compassionate or understanding to me. This was the first fertility doctor I had ever gone to and I expected him to be more positive and sensitive in his approach. I also wasn't given detailed information as to the process of this whole thing. He passed me off to the nurses to give me instructions and even then I was left googling info on my own because this was so new to me and I didn't understand everything involved. I just felt like he never had time for me
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He never runs on time and you can expect to wait up to an hour or more in the waiting room
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
It was extremely hard to get an appointment that worked with my work schedule. The office was very business like. No one knew your name at the front desk and I would wait anywhere from 1 to 2 hours in the waiting room for my appointment because the doctor was always running late. Dr Herslag did not give me all the information. He would pass me off onto a nurse to give me info. I felt like he was indifferent and cold
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We never got that far for real treatments. I saw him about 4 times maybe 5. I did genetic testing blood work with them and the lab list my records after weeks of me calling to find out the results. They even had to take more blood to finish some of the genetic testings. And the lab they sent the blood work to billed my via email and I didn't know it wasn't covered as part of the office visit copay. He also sent me to the hospital to do that test to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. And I went to an outside lab for a 3 hour glucose blood work test. After all these testings he wanted to start immediately with IVF but I wanted to try IUI first. He said fine but he won't do more than 2 or 3 IUI treatments. I just didn't feel comfortable at all with him.
It was odd. The nursing staff always seemed busy and running around. They would give me printed paperwork with information rather than sit down and talk to me
Scheduling appointments were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I pretty much had the insurance copay only. I never did an IUI or IVF treatment with dr Herslag's office but it would have been out of pocket expense for me because insurance wasn't covering it
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
The big thing for me was the genetic lab work. They lost my results and it took them over a month to figure out that the lab requested more blood to finish running tests so I had to go back and give blood. Then this lab billed me through personal email which I don't check often. They never sent a bill in the mail or called. Only sent an email. I didn't even know this lab work wasn't covered under the copay at the doctors office. The doctors office itself was really bad with giving information especially if you were new to all of this. I left confused and unsure of what was happening or what I was supposed to do next. It seemed rushed always when I was with the doctor and nurses.
Avner Hershlag
Mineola

Dr. Mullin spent a lot of time with me and always answered all of my questions...She explained everything in detail and gave me realistic expectations. She always made me feel hopeful. I appreciate that her approach is not aggressive and she is a doctor who likes to try the least invasive procedures first and works her way up to more Invasive treatment like ivf...tell her your concerns and ask her for her honest opinion because she’ll give it to you.
I only had an interaction with one nurse {at Northwell Health] and I found her to be the least friendly of the office. She was blunt and to the point and didn’t seem to show as much companion as other staff...For my medication I spent around $175 and my IUI was $350...Small clinic with one doctor even though she is part of a large practice. This allows you to feel like a person as opposed to a number. Everyone knows your name and the staff remembers you. Everyone is very friendly and I felt comfortable there.
I found Dr. Mullin to be warm and companionate but also very to the point which I appreciated it. She explained everything in detail and gave me realistic expectations. She always made me feel hopeful. I appreciate that her approach is not aggressive and she is a doctor who likes to try the least invasive procedures first and works her way up to more Invasive treatment like ivf.
To be honest with her and ask as many questions as you have. Tell her your concerns and ask her for her honest opinion because she’ll give it to you.
Dr. Mullin spent a lot of time with me and always answered all of my questions. I felt like I was a person and not a number. Her staff would greet me by name and always remembered who I was.
She did monitoring with blood and ultrasound, prescribed letrozole and a trigger shot of hcg in preparation of IUI.
I only had an interaction with one nurse and I found her to be the least friendly of the office. She was blunt and to the point and didn’t seem to show as much companion as other staff.
My insurance only covers office visits and consultations, not procedures. For my medication I spent around $175 and my IUI was $350.
2018 - 2021, Successful
Dr Mullin explained things clearly, had amazing bedside manner and was always present for my treatment. She was more than a doctor, she was someone who truly cared about me having a family. She is a true professional who I recommend to anyone needing help with building their family...Dr Mullin’s office was caring, compassionate and took as much/little time as needed...After one failed embryo transfer I begged Dr Mullin to transfer two embryos next, I was 30 with unexplained infertility. Dr Mullin explained that she wouldn’t put me in a high risk situation (twins) that I didn’t need to be in, and that I’d thank her one day. She was right, I now have three beautiful children, all single transfers.
They [Northwell Health] are an extremely busy practice, but this is something I look for when selecting doctors. This may turn off some, but I want to see the doctor that so many are trusting their fertility with. They always make time for all their patients, no matter how busy they are...Trust Dr Mullin and her office. Although Dr Mullin is very busy, her eyes are everywhere and her team is excellent...I now have three beautiful children
They are an extremely busy practice, but this is something I look for when selecting doctors. This may turn off some, but I want to see the doctor that so many are trusting their fertility with. They always make time for all their patients, no matter how busy they are.
My insurance covered 80%, I paid 20%. Dr Mullin’s team understood my insurance and all the details, I had no issues.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Mullin] very approachable, and makes you feel like a person. She always spends time answering my questions, and going through everything. I felt there were certain interventions that could have been done sooner, but I trust the process. ... Husband was sent to urologist after 2 cycles of IUI. We felt that since we had slight known male factor we should have been sent sooner.
Strengths: everyone [ North Shore] I have met is very nice, and competent. Weakness: IUIs are done at a separate office, so I’ve had different providers within the clinic do our IUIs. Each person was just as nice as the last. ... I was told my FSH was elevated one day, it felt like someone has missed telling me that. Although she didn’t seem very concerned, it was concerning to me. ...
She’s very approachable, and makes you feel like a person. She always spends time answering my questions, and going through everything. I felt there were certain interventions that could have been done sooner, but I trust the process.
Come with questions
She’s very nice, and thorough.
IUI with letrazole: for timed ovulation/ IUI. Husband was sent to urologist after 2 cycles of IUI. We felt that since we had slight known male factor we should have been sent sooner. That’s our only real concern.
Everyone is really compassionate and makes you feel like they’re rooting for you!
Strengths: everyone I have met is very nice, and competent. Weakness: IUIs are done at a separate office, so I’ve had different providers within the clinic do our IUIs. Each person was just as nice as the last.
IUI is covered by insurance.
I believe she only does single embryo.
Mineola
[Dr. Christine Mullin] is very knowledgeable, friendly and compassionate. She gave me hope that I could make my dream of becoming a mother true. She explained every detail of the procedures I would have to go through and I left her office believing it was possible...took the time to explained the reason of my infertility
Office staff [at Northwell Health are] very friendly and knowledgeable about insurance coverage and patient responsibility...Beautiful, clean office located in a medical building. Accessible by bus and train with plenty of parking spaces...consult visit $525 Water sonogram $560 Biopsy $ 665 Office visit $ 125
Dr. Mullin is very knowledgeable, friendly and compassionate. She gave me hope that I could make my dream of becoming a mother true. She explained every detail of the procedures I would have to go through and I left her office believing it was possible.
Do not loose hope.
Dr. Christine Mullin took the time to explained the reason of my infertility, what to expect and how could she will be able to help me.
Metformin to regulate hormones.
Beautiful, clean office located in a medical building. Accessible by bus and train with plenty of parking spaces. Office staff very friendly and knowledgeable about insurance coverage and patient responsibility.
consult visit $525 Water sonogram $560 Biopsy $ 665 Office visit $ 125

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Noyes is intelligent, has a lot of expertise and experience and is very kind. I have no doubt that she is a skilled doctor and truly cares about her patients. However, ultimately the care provided under her supervision was not something I would recommend to anyone. I have never felt so confused and poorly informed, and have never met with such barriers to information. Even simple things were not explained. It was needlessly stressful...
While the nurses and staff [at Northwell Health] were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low...The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Your care will primarily be provided by people other than Dr. Noyes. If you would like to speak to her directly, you will have to wait to a month. If a doctor says that you should speak to her, you'll have to explain that to her assistant because information is not communicated from doctors to staff (or vice versa), and so you'll be the party responsible for trying to explain something you may barely understand yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
While the nurses and staff were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low. I don't expect a lot in terms of communication, but this was a dehumanizing and demoralizing experience. The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Rationale or medication options were never discussed.
They just took my blood and advised me to watch a video on how to do injections.
This clinic felt chaotic, rushed and disorganized. The patient coordinator all but disappeared. Every time I was told that someone would contact me, it did not occur. There is a disconnect where it seems that staff and doctors don't communicate or are unsure as to how to initiate treatment, so it was a battle to even get to the first appointment. And even after it was scheduled, I was unsure what the appointment was for or what the protocol would be. I am still trying to sort out billing issues - the coordinator said that she contacted the labs, but they seemed to be surprised and said that they never heard from her. And after months I'm being billed as self-pay despite having insurance. This was a truly dark and depressing experience, and I have never walked away feeling so negatively about any medical provider.
Nicole Noyes
New York City
[Dr. Maxwell was] Very thorough in her explanations, and made sure we understood all risks, pros, and cons. Was very easy to get ahold of and would walk through options so that we could make the best informed decision for ourselves...took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid...recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful...
medical secretary [at Northwell Health] has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number...what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff....
How was your experience with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask any questions you have even if you think they’re stupid. Dr. Maxwell took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She spoke with me and my husband and made sure that we were comfortable with all the steps and treatments and would call to check in while going through various cycles.
Describe the protocols Susan McClelland Maxwell used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We tried 3 rounds of ovulation induction which did not result in pregnancy. From there we are now doing IVF stimulation. Dr. Maxwell recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful. We plan to do the egg retrieval sometime in the next few weeks and a transfer shortly after.
Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number.
We saw a previous doctor at this clinic that is no longer there and the clinic seemed (along with the doctor) very disorganized and you very much felt like a number. Since transitioning to Dr. Maxwell, this has not been our experience and my husband and I have both commented on what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Most of our treatments were covered by insurance but the billing coordinator was very available to discuss costs, billing due dates and options. Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary also made sure that we recurved all the financial information needed from the billing coordinator and helped us get in touch with her when needed.
Describe Susan McClelland Maxwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We have discussed with Dr. Maxwell and we will try single transfer first and potential multiple (2) in later transfers if the first are unsuccessful. I am still on the “younger” side so Dr. Maxwell does not want to start with multiple embryo transfer, but indicated if I was over 37 we would start with multiple embryo transfer.
Susan McClelland Maxwell

2019, 5 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had ... Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers. ... He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The clinic [Northwell Health] is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time. ... The monitoring was efficient and smooth. The technician was very gently and kind, which goes a long way.
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The nurses were compassionate, comforting and encouraging.
The clinic is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Copays
Tomer Singer

2022, Successful
Dr. Chang was wonderful, very sweet. She listened to all my concerns and needs. She read all my files, years worth of information. Agreed to things I wanted to do, and didn’t force a protocol on me that I wasn’t comfortable with. Always available to talk, even called or emailed to check up on me. She is absolutely by far one of the best doctors I have had, I have been to 5 others, and only 1 other was as good as her...
It is not a a big clinic [Northwell Health], so you don’t feel like just a number like other bigger clinics. You are seen pretty quickly, you do not have to wait and everything is run smoothly. It is clean, nice and organized...All [nurses] were wonderful and caring! Always available to talk about anything and everything...Morning monitoring was 7-. They are very efficient, and accommodating if you are late they don’t turn you away like other clinics I have been at...
How was your experience with Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Use her! She has your best interest at heart!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She took the time to get to know me, read all of my files which are years worth of information. Cared about what I wanted, followed up with me on multiple occasions when I was not expecting it. She is kind and warm and am so glad To have had her as my doctor.
All were wonderful and caring! Always available to talk about anything and everything!
It is not a a big clinic, so you don’t feel like just a number like other bigger clinics. You are seen pretty quickly, you do not have to wait and everything is run smoothly. It is clean, nice and organized.
Sydney Chang
New York City
Dr. Singer is a great doctor, straight forward and pleasant at the same time. He worked with our situation and provided support even when the outcome wasn't what we hoped for...made sure I was always comfortable and well informed and had the support needed during the process...always available and caring...supportive and helpful during and after the treatment.
Northwell is a very welcoming environment, their offices are clean and the staff is professional while at the same time courteous. We had all our questions answered in a clear concise way, and never felt like we had to chase pertinent information. There were, however, a few times when we felt like the front desk staff and the nurses were not fully communicative with one another, and that there were some discrepancies as to what our scheduling and timetable would look like, which seemed to come from a high volume of patients.
Dr. Singer is a great doctor, straight forward and pleasant at the same time. He worked with our situation and provided support even when the outcome wasn't what we hoped for. The nurses at his office were great and very helpful. Everyone was supportive and helpful during and after the treatment.
Dr. Singer and his team were always available and caring. They made sure I was always comfortable and well informed and had the support needed during the process.
Tomer Singer

2021, Successful
Dr. Chang’s fantastic bedside manner-she made me feel comfortable discussing any concern I had...I reacted very well to the fertility hormones and Dr. Chang was very quick to respond to any needed changes based on my bloodwork...She was with us from day one of our infertility and continued to be responsive and incredibly helpful long after we had finished treatment...
It is a great clinic [Northwell Health] that offers thorough, individualized care. Pay careful attention to their protocols and directions as they led to great results for us! I felt comfortable walking in the door at Northwell as I knew I would be under incredible care-whichever doctor I was seeing that day...The nursing staff and Hannah were incredible-so compassionate and thorough in their care!...
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Chang-she is incredible and made our dreams come true: a baby girl on the way! She was with us from day one of our infertility and continued to be responsive and incredibly helpful long after we had finished treatment!! I would recommend her to anyone in need of a trustworthy, kind, and thorough doctor.
Trust Dr. Chang-she definitely knows what she’s doing!
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Chang’s fantastic bedside manner-she made me feel comfortable discussing any concern I had. She is truly the best!
Describe the protocols Sydney Chang used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
It is a great clinic that offers thorough, individualized care. Pay careful attention to their protocols and directions as they led to great results for us! I felt comfortable walking in the door at Northwell as I knew I would be under incredible care-whichever doctor I was seeing that day!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We had excellent insurance that worked well with the doctor’s office
Describe Sydney Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
She used science to determine that based on my age and health, one embryo was appropriate and I’m glad we did!
Sydney Chang

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Partnering with [Dr. Gabe San Roman] on our journey has made me feel more comfortable throughout the process...When I would ask about details I would always get informational responses but did find I would need to ask...always tweaking our protocol slightly with each step in hopes to give us our family. One sticky point for him is acupuncture - it is not something he believes in...so if you are looking for him to confirm its benefits you won't find it from him - he very much focuses on the pure science of infertility treatment.
the entire team [at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)] knows me which makes me feel like I am not a number...occasionally there are communication breakdowns between the Doctor/NPs and the nurses which can create frustration - but they are always solved...[nurse] is straight forward but with compassion and empathy at the same time - a tough balance to strike but she does it effortlessly.
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Partnering with Dr. SR on our journey has made me feel more comfortable throughout the process. I am a very detail-oriented person and by default I think Dr. SR tries to keep the details out unless you seek them. For some the details can be stressful but for me, the more details the better I feel. When I would ask about details I would always get informational responses but did find I would need to ask. I think it is his way of "protecting" patients as they go through this but I value the detail and thoroughness. My journey has been long and we still do not have a baby yet but Dr. SR has made us feel comfortable about not giving up and always tweaking our protocol slightly with each step in hopes to give us our family. One sticky point for him is acupuncture - it is not something he believes in...so if you are looking for him to confirm its benefits you won't find it from him - he very much focuses on the pure science of infertility treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. SR will make you feel wonderful and hopeful it's one of his best features and he knows his field extremely well (why I have continued to see him as my specialist) - but if you want clarity and want to understand why different courses of action may be taken or changed, don't hesitate to ask - he will provide any details you want - just ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. San Roman and his NPs (Jenn and Dawn) all make you feel like you are a person, that you are heard, and if you are asking for details will provide any information you are seeking. Bedside manner of Dr. SR is amazing and it helps take the stress level of the journey down a lot.
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
IVF Retrieval 1: menopur and gonal-f for 8 nights; cetrotide for the last couple mornings of the stim cycle. (14 retrieved, 14 mature and 100% fertilized, 6 made it to day 5, 2 made it through PGS testing) Transfer 1: Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Positive pregnancy with strong HCG levels resulted but ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks Transfer 2: Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Nonviable pregnancy resulted with minimal HCG level IVF Retrieval 2: menopur and gonal-f for 8 nights; cetrotide for the last couple mornings of the stim cycle. (13 retrieved, 10 mature and 8 fertilized, 7 made it to day 5, 3 made it through PGS testing) Transfer 3: (2 embryos) Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Medrol prior to transfer and prednizone after; Nonviable pregnancy resulted with minimal HCG level Transfer 4: went with natural cycle; Medrol prior to transfer and prednizone after; negative result
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenn Barocas)
Jenn B has been great throughout this process. She is straight forward but with compassion and empathy at the same time - a tough balance to strike but she does it effortlessly. I always get honest information, thorough information and know that she has my/my husband's best interests in mind. She was exceptionally helpful to my husband and I as we discussed possibly stopping our journey to start a family and I appreciate the additional time she took for us several times (she did not tell us what to do but helped us process through our thoughts). My husband and I are going to start retrieval round #3 in the coming weeks.
Most of the staff is great. I think by nature of the fertility process itself being stressful, sometimes certain people rub you the wrong way through no fault of their own. Strengths: the entire team knows me which makes me feel like I am not a number Weaknesses: occasionally there are communication breakdowns between the Doctor/NPs and the nurses which can create frustration - but they are always solved.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
If paying out of pocket and from comparing costs to friends seeing other doctors, Dr. SR's costs were slightly higher.
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
As we did PGS testing on all of our day 5 embryos Dr. SR preferred to transfer only 1 embryo. After we had two transfers that did not amount to the birth of a child, he did let us transfer 2 PGS-tested embryos on our third transfer.
There was a time (about a year ago) where I sought a second opinion just for a sanity check and my requests to have my records copied/shared were not completed. It seems to be quite a production to get your own medical records which is frustrating.
Smithtown

Dr. San Roman understands that I am the type of patient that wants to fully understand the biology and the science of what’s going on. He takes the time to teach me, even draws diagrams while we chat to help me visualize. He is patient and actively listens when I speak...I delayed asking for a more aggressive course of action and regret that I didn’t speak up sooner because they responded so amazingly
[The staff at Northwell Health] are so accommodating, all of my appointments work with my schedule. They have even made special exceptions and taken me on a Saturday...Nancy who handles billing is so knowledgeable and helpful...When I had a negative experience during a visit to an affiliate location, Dr. San Roman and his team responded immediately to address my concerns and followed up with me after
Dr. San Roman understands that I am the type of patient that wants to fully understand the biology and the science of what’s going on. He takes the time to teach me, even draws diagrams while we chat to help me visualize. He is patient and actively listens when I speak. When I had a negative experience during a visit to an affiliate location, Dr. San Roman and his team responded immediately to address my concerns and followed up with me after. Even months later, during a routine visit, I was asked about that experience and if I have seen improvement, which I had.
Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. I delayed asking for a more aggressive course of action and regret that I didn’t speak up sooner because they responded so amazingly.
Everyone from the nurses, doctors, NPs and secretaries know my name, ask about my dogs, are kind, understand what I am going through and are sympathetic and share success stories to keep my spirits listed. Most recently they’ve set up video calls to check in with patients during the COVID-19 crisis. They’ve been amazingly supportive, honest and realistic.
First Dr. San Roman prescribed Femara to boost egg production. I started with two pills a day for 5 days and over time he increased doses to 4 pills per day. 4 pills seems to have the best results, producing 4 follicles this past cycle. Out of the 11 cult leader we have gone through with Dr. San Roman I have used ovidrel 4xs and novarel 1x to trigger ovulation as ovulation prediction tests were not working. I have also undergone 3 IUIs with unfortunate negative pregnancy results.
The nurses ensure a clean, safe, happy environment. They communicate well, are kind and sympathetic. When I call with questions or to get a prescription refill, they are responsive and act quickly. Once when I was traveling for work and forgot my medication at home, I called and they prescribed my meds to a pharmacy where I was within an hour of my call.
They are so accommodating, all of my appointments work with my schedule. They have even made special exceptions and taken me on a Saturday when I had a crazy work schedule. Nancy who handles billing is so knowledgeable and helpful! This is the cleanest Drs office I’ve ever been to!
I pay a $50 copay each visit (2-3per month) My insurance only partially covered bloodwork and sonograms so I pay an additional $75 for each visit. I pay out of pocket for for IUI, $350 per cycle. Trigger shots are approx $150 per cycle and femara medication is less then $20 per cycle.
I would consider these negative experiences to be extremely minor. Once I arrived for an appointment that had been scheduled for a different day but I had called and rescheduled. When I arrived they did not see me on their calendar. They still took me in with minimal wait time. One other time my prescription was not called in, I called and they put it right through and I got my medication on the day I needed it.
Smithtown
Dr. San Roman makes you feel comfortable with him from the beginning but I believe he thought that I would be an easy case and a year later we don’t have any new information that could help in conceiving, although we’ve had several failures...wasn’t as aggressive as I thought we needed to be from the beginning...thought that I would be very easy so he started off slow.
The nurse practitioners [at Northwell Health-Smithtown] do get involved and take on your journey when you express that you are frustrated and feeling down. The office has a very pleasant atmosphere although they often run late with appointments...Most times the nurses were compassionate and offered help when needed. Unfortunately, they could only help with so much.
Be persistent and make sure that protocols are being looked At even when they seem to be working.
The nurses and nurse practitioners definitely build a relationship with you. Dr. San Roman is personable and makes you feel comfortable but in my opinion wasn’t as aggressive as I thought we needed to be from the beginning.
He thought that I would be very easy so he started off slow. My first cycle I was prescribed low dose letrozole and a trigger with iui which resulted in one large egg. The second iui they prescribed an increase in letrozole with the trigger and two eggs were produced. Round 3 was the same letrozole but natural ovulation with 2 eggs and the 4th on was the same letrozole, natural ovulation with 3 eggs. The 4th round resulted in a positive pregnancy test with a d & c at week 9 because the embryo did not grow. Genetic testing revealed there was an issue with chromosome 4
The nurse practitioners do get involved and take on your journey when you express that you are frustrated and feeling down. The office has a very pleasant atmosphere although they often run late with appointments
Much of it was covered under my insurance besides about 9,000 for the ivf cycle and the copays of 50 or 30 per visit
There was a time where a prescription should have been called in and it wasn’t. When I called the next day they said they were having an issue with their system. Luckily I had an extra day before I was to start the medication.
Smithtown

Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s... The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they [Northwell Health] set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.... At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time
Again his bedside matter was amazing, he remembers you by name and interests not just by face. Always welcoming. I wish I only saw him and no one else. The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row and getting the same response. Nothing more nothing less. I was up for change to try anything. But when you don’t see only him and bounce around thru the clinic I feel like it’s hard to meet goals.
Try to communicate exactly what your goals and expectations are.
Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s.. but he is nothing short of wonderful.
Treatment protocol, 3 day of cycle , sonogram. Started a round of drugs, came back for monitoring twice. Triggered and went in for IUIs. Got 0 results and repeated the same medication atleast more then three times in a row, upped the dosage once . I feel like personally after the third time and getting the same failed result something somewhere should have been changed.
At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time she became very cold and not so friendly. I almost felt like she hadn’t seen any success or moving forward with me, and I was almost like a waste of her time.
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.
Everything was covered I paid for medication and copays. Ivf I was told was covered but turned out it was not
2015 - 2018, Successful
We [with Dr. Gabe San Roman] started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take.
[Northwell Health-Smithtown's] Strengths- Clean, great staff, free coffee and snacks, early morning and weekend hours, affordable with insurance, blood work drawn on site. Weakness- no afternoon or evening hours, sometimes crowded and long waits.... They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional
Dr. Gabe is sincere and authentic. He is personable and open as a doctor. He has a good sense of humor and also knows when to be serious and get down to business. He adjusts his approach based on the patient’s needs. I always felt heard and respected. He walked through options and concerns with me and we decided on courses of action together.
Be honest and assertive with what you want. It’s your health and family on the line, not the doctor’s.
Dr. Gave knew our names, likes and interests, and made time to meet with me and my partner. He always made time to small talk at each appointment and made information easy to understand. He also personally made calls about results with very sensitive information.
We started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take. I suggest transferring 2. Dr Gabe talked to us about risks such as twins and even higher order multiples. He thought transferring 2 was a good move since we had been trying for years, and we agreed with this plan and transferred 2 eggs, which resulted in our beautiful baby girls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Everyone knew my health and history. They were compassionate and seemed genuinely interest in my pregnancy journey.
They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional.
Ok glad we tried one the first time and that dr. Gabe spoke to us about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and life with multiples.
2015 - 2018, Successful
dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office [North Shore] when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up...the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
in my experience, dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized
be wary of the nurse practitioner's running the show...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...after going through a total of 2 ivf cycles and 4 failed transfers with pgs tested embryos, there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
I was definitely treated like a human...everyone in the office is very friendly and ends up getting to know you, especially after 2 cycles
my first stim cycle, I was placed on 1 vial of menopur and 150 of follistum, but ended up doubling that dose 3 days in...stimmed for 14 days and got 8 eggs, 7 mature. My second stim cycle, I was placed on 2 menopur and 450 follistum and stimmed for 7 days and ended up with 7 eggs. I was told when I went for a second opinion that my second cycle was an incredibly high dose especially for someone with a high ovarian reserve. We also ran into a few bumps in the road with our transfers. Our second frozen transfer was rushed, ended up with a beta of 18, but my lining wasn't responding as well as it had in the past...that ended up being a chemical. The second ivf cycle with a fresh transfer, I was told to be on progesterone 2 times a day before the transfer by the nurse, then the dr said once a day...but discontinued everything due to high progesterone levels, in which my level went from over 100 to 50 then to 2...which was never going to sustain anything....
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up. I have also had instances where they aren't looking at your numbers as trends but instead just one value and making decisions that are incorrect based on that...during one of my transfers, I was told to stop taking progesterone...my levels went from over 100 to 50 to 2 in the course of 4 days...no one thought to look at the trend, instead she just saw the 50 and still advised me to stay off the med. They never review your chart before they speak to you...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time....everyone always says hi the issue is that the dr or the nurses never seem to remember your story...even if they were to take 2 min before they see you to review your chart, it would be helpful, this doesn't ever seem to be the case
each stim cycle was around 15,000 an additional 4,000 for pgs testing and then an additional 350/embryo at the lab...also 500 for anesthesia for retrieval stim meds were not included in the 15,000
he's preference is to transfer 1 embryo if they are pgs tested
disorganization I explained details earlier
Smithtown

Dr. San Roman is very warm and goes to great lengths to make you feel comfortable. However, sometimes his well-meaning jokes miss the mark—for example joking that you are ruining his statistics. ... I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office [Northwell Health], the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
Dr. San Roman is very warm and took the time to explain procedures to us. He is very busy as the only doctor operating out of the office so more often than not, we met with the nurse practitioner and not the doctor. I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
Advocate for yourself—do your own research and press him to consider other protocols when the basic protocol does not work for you.
The nursing staff is very good. They showed compassion at all stages of treatment.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office, the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
It was an efficient-well oiled machine— you got an appointment time which staggered patients, but the wait times could still get quite long
Dr. San Roman was unwilling to transfer multiple embryos because we did PGS testing.
Smithtown
I felt like he [Dr. Gabe San Roman] was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.... During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic.
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number [at North Shore-Smithtown]. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. ... I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!.. Clomid 100mg 1 round- bad reaction to clomid. Switched to Femera with Ovidrel trigger.
I felt like he was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.
Make sure you book your consultation 3 months in advance because there is a waitlist lol!
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic. I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!
Amazing! So nice!
Gabe San Roman
Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him. He takes the time to get to know his patients. He was referred to me by a friend who had much success and had a baby girl with his help. I would would recommend him wholeheartedly to couples trying to conceive.... He was very meticulous with how and when to take the medication and well as the the rest of the process.
Everyone [North Shore] was super sweet and compassionate.... It wasn’t as expensive as I expected it to be, especially since we paid out of pocket.... I don’t have anything negative to say about the clinic except for the fact that it is a bit far for us. We are in Brooklyn so traveling to Long Island can be taxing and can be a bit of an inconvenience.... Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him.
Do not give up and stay positive!
He was patient, kind and everyone was amazing at the office.
Everyone was super sweet and compassionate.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success...
CLEANLINESS. This [North Shore Long Island Jewish - Smithtown] office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule...
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.