6.8

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
... he [Dr. Scholl] is very traditional and is not willing to customize individual treatment plans for my body. I asked him about less aggressive ivf and he completely ruled it out and said he believes its a waste of time and that the traditional ivf treatment would be more beneficial. I just do not believe in the one size fits all treatment model. My treatment needs to be individualized to my needs. I have suffered a miscarriage at 20 weeks( pre term labor) and at 6( heterotopic miscarriage-blighted ovum and an ectopic pregnancy) leading to the loss of my left fallopian tube.
I wish they [Northwell Health] acted as though they knew why you were coming to receive services. We as patients are putting our trust or lives our life savings into the hands of these providers. The least you would expect to compassion. ... I felt more like a number at times when i I would have my visits. Majority were with the NP snd rarely saw provider. I felt that my treatment was not tailored to my lab results.it was more of a one size fits all model.
How was your experience with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
With age comes knowledge which he has but he is very traditional and is not willing to customize individual treatment plans for my body. I asked him about less aggressive ivf and he completely ruled it out and said he believes its a waste of time and that the traditional ivf treatment would be more beneficial. I just do not believe in the one size fits all treatment model. My treatment needs to be individualized to my needs. I have suffered a miscarriage at 20 weeks( pre term labor) and at 6( heterotopic miscarriage-blighted ovum and an ectopic pregnancy) leading to the loss of my left fallopian tube.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be prepared with questions and provide input in your treatment plan
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the protocols Gerald Scholl used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
I did 3 rounds of clomid. 1st was with clomid 5 days and iui with insemination, 2nd and 3rd were clomid with intercourse with partner. 3rd resulted with twin pregnancies but miscarried at 6 weeks
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Busy and never really had time to speak about treatment plan. Everything seemed rushed
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Large pool of providers to select from however you feel more like a number than a person. I wish they acted as though they knew why you were coming to receive services. We as patients are putting our trust or lives our life savings into the hands of these providers. The least you would expect to compassion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
$40 copayment every vist. Sometimes 3 times a week appointments. IUI cost about 6k but insurance covered. My ivf i would have to pay 20% of cost
Describe Gerald Scholl's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I would select single embryo transfer due my history of cervical of incompetence.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Had to keep calling about my lab results. Didn't catch my ectopic pregnancy earlier with played a role in my losing afallopian tube.
Gerald Scholl

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Noyes is intelligent, has a lot of expertise and experience and is very kind. I have no doubt that she is a skilled doctor and truly cares about her patients. However, ultimately the care provided under her supervision was not something I would recommend to anyone. I have never felt so confused and poorly informed, and have never met with such barriers to information. Even simple things were not explained. It was needlessly stressful...
While the nurses and staff [at Northwell Health] were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low...The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Your care will primarily be provided by people other than Dr. Noyes. If you would like to speak to her directly, you will have to wait to a month. If a doctor says that you should speak to her, you'll have to explain that to her assistant because information is not communicated from doctors to staff (or vice versa), and so you'll be the party responsible for trying to explain something you may barely understand yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
While the nurses and staff were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low. I don't expect a lot in terms of communication, but this was a dehumanizing and demoralizing experience. The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Rationale or medication options were never discussed.
They just took my blood and advised me to watch a video on how to do injections.
This clinic felt chaotic, rushed and disorganized. The patient coordinator all but disappeared. Every time I was told that someone would contact me, it did not occur. There is a disconnect where it seems that staff and doctors don't communicate or are unsure as to how to initiate treatment, so it was a battle to even get to the first appointment. And even after it was scheduled, I was unsure what the appointment was for or what the protocol would be. I am still trying to sort out billing issues - the coordinator said that she contacted the labs, but they seemed to be surprised and said that they never heard from her. And after months I'm being billed as self-pay despite having insurance. This was a truly dark and depressing experience, and I have never walked away feeling so negatively about any medical provider.
2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I would tell any person coming into this clinic [that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly. ... When my partner left his sperm sample, the Laboratory was to analyze and store his sample. Instead the lab analyzed and threw out his sample by mistake. We did not know this until the day before retrieval. Because of my partner work schedule (he works for MTA) he just could not get off to come with me the next morning to produce sperm while the doctor was retrieving my eggs. Which is why I would tell anyone coming in that they should stay on top of the lab.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Cohen strengths is the way he approaches his patient’s. He’s very caring and careful with his words in describing an outcome that may not occur. When I first sat down with Dr. Cohen he first explained to me why the human body preforms the way it does. And that no amount of medicine or modern technology can change that. With that said, he laid out for the reason why it would be extremely hard for a women my age to get pregnant naturally with my own eggs. He told me this information in a way as if he was letting me down easy and not to have high expectations. He was not rough by saying, “you too old to get pregnant”. He did recommend using donor eggs, but at the same time he did not force it or say to me that this was my ONLY option.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
With the number of years he has in this profession, I would tell them to consider all of his advice and follow it. And understand, that’s he’s trying to help you get pregnant and not discourage you from starting a family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He treated me with kid gloves. As an expert in this filed he told me delicately that because of my age the expectations will not be good. But at the same time he was very encouraging because of my AMH levels which is high for a women of my age.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Usually in a women my age, my AMH would be low and my FHS would be high. But because my levels were good, Dr. Cohen was more excited than I was to start treatment. This encouragement from him made me feel more enthusiastic about starting fertility treatment regardless of my age. On my first round of treatment, Dr. Cohen had me on 300 iu of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur per day. He did this for about 12 days (I can’t remember the exact number of days). Again his rational for this protocol was because my AMH levels where 1.1. He was able to retrieve 13 eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Very informative and walked me through each progress step by step. Called me every night to see how I was doing on the medication. She was concerned about any side effects. She was also very encouraging because my of AMH levels.
I would tell any person coming into this clinic that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
You could go in between the hours of 7 to 11 for monitoring, but I always made sure I have an appointment for 7:00 am. One time, I was not able to get an appointment until 7:30 am. I did this so that I could ensure I would get seen and leave the clinic by a certain time because I still had to go to work. If you did not have an appointment, you had to wait but was still seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Since my insurance only cover 80% of treatment my co-payment was $4,000. My insurance does not cover fertility medication, which $8,000.00
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Because of poor egg quality, we were not able to transfer any embryos.
Manhasset
[Dr. Maxwell was] Very thorough in her explanations, and made sure we understood all risks, pros, and cons. Was very easy to get ahold of and would walk through options so that we could make the best informed decision for ourselves...took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid...recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful...
medical secretary [at Northwell Health] has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number...what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff....
How was your experience with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask any questions you have even if you think they’re stupid. Dr. Maxwell took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She spoke with me and my husband and made sure that we were comfortable with all the steps and treatments and would call to check in while going through various cycles.
Describe the protocols Susan McClelland Maxwell used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We tried 3 rounds of ovulation induction which did not result in pregnancy. From there we are now doing IVF stimulation. Dr. Maxwell recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful. We plan to do the egg retrieval sometime in the next few weeks and a transfer shortly after.
Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number.
We saw a previous doctor at this clinic that is no longer there and the clinic seemed (along with the doctor) very disorganized and you very much felt like a number. Since transitioning to Dr. Maxwell, this has not been our experience and my husband and I have both commented on what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Most of our treatments were covered by insurance but the billing coordinator was very available to discuss costs, billing due dates and options. Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary also made sure that we recurved all the financial information needed from the billing coordinator and helped us get in touch with her when needed.
Describe Susan McClelland Maxwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We have discussed with Dr. Maxwell and we will try single transfer first and potential multiple (2) in later transfers if the first are unsuccessful. I am still on the “younger” side so Dr. Maxwell does not want to start with multiple embryo transfer, but indicated if I was over 37 we would start with multiple embryo transfer.
Susan McClelland Maxwell
New York City

I felt as if he [Dr. Matthew Cohen] cared for my husband and I needs . He was very helpful as a male doctor . He was understandable due to insurance purpose and he gave us alternative that helped us out. Dr. Cohen made me feel like a human because he didn’t judge me for my age , or my condition...is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator.
The nursing staff [at Northwell Health-FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish] was friendly , they greeted me in a polite way . They all need my name and all had smiles on there face as if they want to be there...they always called me for my appointments. Friendly, the hours of operation was reasonable...Matthew Cohen is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator.
Matthew Cohen is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator. He gave me hope that one day I will have a family of my own . He said it will happen and I believe him . He a good doctor . As I stated , after my first miscarriage he told me not to feel discourage that the treatment worked and it will work again.
Have faith with Dr. Matthew, Have Faith with yourself . Dr. Cohen will make you feel comfortable, keep in mind that he is not god , but he’s here to help.
Being one of Dr. Cohen patient was a different feeling, due to the fact that he’s a male and I’m a female he made me feel comfortable. I felt as if he cared for my husband and I needs . He was very helpful as a male doctor . He was understandable due to insurance purpose and he gave us alternative that helped us out. Dr. Cohen made me feel like a human because he didn’t judge me for my age , or my condition . I felt welcome due to the fact that everyone that came to clinic was going through the same thing I was going through . When I experience my first miscarriage he told me to have hope and since I got pregnant that time, it will happen again . I would recommend Dr. Cohen to any female who wants to feel like a human .
Dr. Cohen put me on Letrozole 2.5mg starting day 3-7 . I would than come in on day 10 or 12 to check my follicles , if I’m good to start procedures he will than have me schedule and day to come in . (I’ve done iui ). So my partner would come in at 7am give him sample and start the procedure at 9-10am . After that process there’s a two week wait . After the two weeks , I would than come in for a pregnancy test . If negative and I get a period I would do process all over . However if it is positive, I would have to come back in for blood sample to see if my numbers go up than my pregnancy is successful. If my numbers go down than I’m experiencing a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Doreen)
The nursing staff was friendly , they greeted me in a polite way . They all need my name and all had smiles on there face as if they want to be there .
The fertility clinic that I’ve went to strength was that, they always called me for my appointments. Friendly, the hours of operation was reasonable . To my knowledge, I wouldn’t say that the clinic had a weakness .
Not sure

2020, Consult
He [Dr. Cohen] explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again. ... He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
The clinics [Northwell Health] strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences. ... There were many different types of coats associated with this.
He explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again.
Ask questions.
He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
They were very helpful.
The clinics strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences.
There were many different types of coats associated with this.
Manhasset

When my fiancé left his sample, someone [Northwell Health] failed to tell the lab that his sample was to be screened and stored. The sample was only screened but not stored and it was thrown out ... This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. ... The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am.
Dr. Cohen was very blunt when I first sat down with him. He explained to me why it would be almost impossible to use my own eggs for a women my age. He made it seem like it was not my fault, it’s just Mother Nature. He also explained that science has not gotten to the point of reversing ageing and/or diminished ovarian reserve. But he was very hopeful in explaining to me that I could carry a pregnancy with donor eggs. And regardless of the fact that they are donor eggs that this would be my child. So I am grateful for explaining to me in great detail why it would be difficult to use my own eggs do to ageing. I was not going to entertain the thought of using donor eggs, but after speaking with Dr. Cohen I did reconsider and started to research donor eggs more.
Listen to everything that he tells you first, but you start asking question. And to also be patient.
They were very caring and spoke to me like a human being and not a number. For instance, at every visit they made sure that I was up to date on my yearly mammogram, obg-yn visit, physical and even dental. They stressed how important all this was before undergoing IVF. Dr. Cohen was even concerned about the previous surgeries that I had years ago. My nurse always called me to check up on me to see how I was doing.
After doing my labs on day 2 of my cycle, Dr. Cohen was very hopeful (but still apprehensive) about using my own eggs. He explained to me that for someone my age, my AMH and FSH are not good but not bad either. He was the one who then encouraged me to try a round of IVF using my own eggs. So he started me on 150 of Menopur and 300 of Gonal F every night for the first 4 nights. Then after that, he only increased the Menopur to 225 per night until time for retrieval. Cetrotide was also used to control onvulation as well as Noveral for the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic RN)
Vahida has been great. She has been reassuring me that based on my labs I should have a successful egg retrieval which I did have. In fact she encouraged me to wait until after transfer before considering donor egg. She was very hopeful that I would have a good outcome based on my numbers. Sometimes the nursing staff forget to following up with me and I am on hold for an excessive length of time. But when I do get to speak with them, they are very very thorough.
This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. If you are considering using this clinic. please make your appointment right away as it takes a long time to get an appointment.
The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am. So I liked how they run their morning hours.
All my co payments totaled $6,000.00. This includes clinic co payments and medication.
We have not gotten to a transfer day yet as we are going to do another round of IVF. So was have not discussed that as of yet. But we have discussed genetic testing on the embryos.
When my fiancé left his sample, someone failed to tell the lab that his sample was to be screened and stored. The sample was only screened but not stored and it was thrown out and no one notified me or my fiancé.

2010 - 2019, Consult
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks...I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment...The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed.
During my egg freezing in 2010, Dr. Noyes was warm and compassionate. I had no idea what to expect - I was 24, facing a serious cancer diagnosis, had never considered my fertility, and was simultaneously preparing for (and then recovering from) a bilateral mastectomy and preparing for chemotherapy. Dr. Noyes was reassuring and had a very good understanding of how to fit my treatments together. I had a condom break while preparing for egg retrieval (i.e. a time when I would be hyper-fertile) and Dr. Noyes handled it thoughtfully and sensitively, creatively suggesting an IUD which would be able to block any implantation without compromising my one chance at egg retrieval, and provide me with birth control during the 5-10 years I would need to be on cancer treatment.
Unfortunately, I would have to advise a prospective patient not to work with Dr. Noyes due to the terrible experience I had with her new clinic at Northwell.
In 2010, due to a cancer diagnosis, I froze my eggs with Dr. Noyes while she was at NYU. Now, nearly 10 years later and having lost my ovaries, these are the only eggs I have and my only chance to have a child. Dr. Noyes has since moved to Northwell - Lenox Hill, so I reached out to schedule an appointment. The admin staff told me that Dr. Noyes "likes to take extra care with her cancer patients," which made me feel great, but the "care" truly stopped there. I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment. Her admin could only schedule one for three weeks out - no problem, I understand that she's busy. The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed. The admin tried to pass the buck to someone else in the office, but did become apologetic when I reminded him that it was him I had spoken with to schedule initially. He said he would try to squeeze me in for an appointment the following Monday. I rearranged my schedule to make that time work. That Monday, the admin called to tell me they hadn't gotten my records from NYU yet, so I couldn't have the appointment. I was shocked -- they had a month to do this, and there should be very well-established channels given that Dr. Noyes just moved over in January of this year. The admin told me he could reschedule me for the following day at 3:30. I, again, rearranged my schedule to accommodate, but told him I had an appointment at 4:30 I could not move, and would need to be in transit by 4PM, but my husband and I would both rearrange our schedules so we could be in the car together to continue the appointment if it was longer than a half hour. The next day, I received a call from the admin at 3:30 telling me that Dr. Noyes was running late, but he would call me at 4 to tell me how things were going. At 4:07, he called and told me that she'd be on the line "soon." At 4:15, he came back on the line to tell me that the cost of the appointment would be $75. I was livid - reminding him that he had my credit card already, and that at this point I only had fifteen minutes to speak with Dr. Noyes. He put me back on hold, and at 4:24, I hung up the phone, since a five-minute consult would have been useless. No one from Northwell or Dr. Noyes' office has contacted me since to apologize or offer an appointment, and it has now been another week. I had a great experience with Dr. Noyes in 2010 at NYU, and wish her well on her new endeavors, but cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks.
In 2010, due to a cancer diagnosis, I froze my eggs with Dr. Noyes while she was at NYU. Now, nearly 10 years later and having lost my ovaries, these are the only eggs I have and my only chance to have a child. Dr. Noyes has since moved to Northwell - Lenox Hill, so I reached out to schedule an appointment. The admin staff told me that Dr. Noyes "likes to take extra care with her cancer patients," which made me feel great, but the "care" truly stopped there. I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment. Her admin could only schedule one for three weeks out - no problem, I understand that she's busy. The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed. The admin tried to pass the buck to someone else in the office, but did become apologetic when I reminded him that it was him I had spoken with to schedule initially. He said he would try to squeeze me in for an appointment the following Monday. I rearranged my schedule to make that time work. That Monday, the admin called to tell me they hadn't gotten my records from NYU yet, so I couldn't have the appointment. I was shocked -- they had a month to do this, and there should be very well-established channels given that Dr. Noyes just moved over in January of this year. The admin told me he could reschedule me for the following day at 3:30. I, again, rearranged my schedule to accommodate, but told him I had an appointment at 4:30 I could not move, and would need to be in transit by 4PM, but my husband and I would both rearrange our schedules so we could be in the car together to continue the appointment if it was longer than a half hour. The next day, I received a call from the admin at 3:30 telling me that Dr. Noyes was running late, but he would call me at 4 to tell me how things were going. At 4:07, he called and told me that she'd be on the line "soon." At 4:15, he came back on the line to tell me that the cost of the appointment would be $75. I was livid - reminding him that he had my credit card already, and that at this point I only had fifteen minutes to speak with Dr. Noyes. He put me back on hold, and at 4:24, I hung up the phone, since a five minute consult would have been useless. No one from Northwell or Dr. Noyes' office has contacted me since to apologize or offer an appointment, and it has now been another week. I had a great experience with Dr. Noyes in 2010 at NYU, and wish her well on her new endeavors, but cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
At one point, I was told my consultation would be $125 (with my insurance), then was later told it would be $75, but that due to clinical errors, the coordinator would "cover it" (whatever that means). However, I was never able to actually be seen by Dr. Noyes despite spending hours of time over 6 weeks on hold with her admin staff. I'm still holding my breath to see if they'll send me a bill anyway.

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Mullin] entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Some [nurses at Northwell Health] know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there...Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best...The Northwell Mineola office is peaceful. The Manhasset office can be a zoo. I thankfully only had to go there on weekends for monitoring and for procedures (however, specifically for procedures, the nurses at Manhasset are incredible).
How was your experience with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I was a rare case. Got pregnant with my first-ever FET but then miscarried, despite the embryo being PGS normal. Dr. Mullin fought with me to try and figure out the best course of action after that and ultimately, after many biopsies and tests, she found what potentially was the issue. I don't know if many other doctors would have gone to the lengths she did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be your own advocate. Doctors have A LOT of patients - not their fault, just the nature of medicine these days. But it's up to you to bring your thoughts and opinions to the table. Dr. Mullin never shunned anything I had to say and worked with me every step of the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Mullin really took the time to get to know my husband and I. She entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Describe the protocols Christine Mullin used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Diagnosed "lean PCOS." Tried 4 IUIs (with Clomid), all BFN. Moved on to IVF. First retrieval was pretty (BCP + low dose meds given PCOS). Yielded a large # of eggs, but there were signs of poor egg quality. Transferred 1 of my 2 PGS normal embryos, BFP, miscarried at 6 weeks. Waited a few months to do another retrieval, during which she put me on Metformin and I started taking Acai pills. Prior to starting the injections, she also changed the protocol slightly and added estrogen priming. 2nd retrieval MUCH better and ended up with 5 healthy embryos. After a failed second FET, we decided to do the ReceptivaDX biopsy, as she suspected silent endometriosis. Biopsy confirmed extremely high levels of inflammation. Protocol was Depot Lupron for 2 months. Went straight into my third FET, which resulted in my current pregnancy.
Some know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there. At the end of the day, though, Dr. Mullin was always reachable, and every time I called in with a question, the nurse(s) would either put me on hold to ask Dr. Mullin directly, or Dr. Mullin called me back herself later that day. Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best.
Mineola
I haven't had much time spent with Dr. Mullin herself. Her visits are short and not a lot of information is provided. Her bedside manner makes me feel as though i'm a number...I never feel as though i'm getting the full story from her, and that's when I actually see her. Only when I had a bad experience, did she show compassion and see me a few visits in a row. I'm confident she's good at what she does and will get me pregnant - i'm just not 100% on board with how she does it.
The clinic [Northwell Health- Mineola] is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
Ask many questions.
The nursing staff is excellent, specifically the NP Mary Jane and RN Joan. They take their time when speaking with you, always ask questions, and make you feel as though you matter. They have been my contacts from day one, i feel more comfortable with them then I do with the Dr.
The clinic is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
$50 copay, $3500 for IVF cycle
I wasn't given the correct information on side effects and ended up in the hospital
Mineola
IUI with donor sperm as a single mom. She [Dr. Noyes] perscriped chlomid for the second cycle to increase chance, which made sense. Based on factors like my age, insurance coverage and financial concerns, Dr. Noyes helped me determine a treatment course including 4-6 rounds of IUI with and then will consider IVF...is straight and to the point. She listens well and adapted care to my particular needs. The nurses at her clinic are great, they are caring, warm, and treat me like person. They are very good at staying in touch and remembering details about me - both those relevant to treatment and personal details. Doctor Nps
Great nursing staff [at Northwell Health]. Good compotent doctors. However you dont always see your doctor at every monitoring/scan, some times another doctor is on duty. The billing/insurance department is a little less helpful. They are satisfactory and do their job, but are not as good communicators (curt answers without warmth or detailed explanations - you have to be assertive and ask a lot of questions)...They are wonderful. They are warm, fun, professional, very organized, they stay in good touch and give clear instructions, with compassion. Highly competent team.
Dr. Noyes is no nonesense, which I appreciate. She is clear and frank. She listened well to my goals, concerns and questions and adapted treatment accordingly. She was helpful in thinking through options that were best for my lifestyle, budget, insurance, age etc. She inspired confidence.
Advice for seeing any doctor - take time before going in to your appointments to organize your thoughts and list out your questions, then make sure to go through them systematically with the doctor.
Dr. Noyes is straight and to the point. She listens well and adapted care to my particular needs. The nurses at her clinic are great, they are caring, warm, and treat me like person. They are very good at staying in touch and remembering details about me - both those relevant to treatment and personal details.
IUI with donor sperm as a single mom. She perscriped chlomid for the second cycle to increase chance, which made sense. Based on factors like my age, insurance coverage and financial concerns, Dr. Noyes helped me determine a treatment course including 4-6 rounds of IUI with and then will consider IVF.
Great nursing staff. Good compotent doctors. However you dont always see your doctor at every monitoring/scan, some times another doctor is on duty. The billing/insurance department is a little less helpful. They are satisfactory and do their job, but are not as good communicators (curt answers without warmth or detailed explanations - you have to be assertive and ask a lot of questions).
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Bay Shore
2017 - 2019, Successful
[Dr. Mary Rausch] was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way...has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with. Nurse
The Clinic [Northwell Health] was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time...nursing staff was excellent...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with.
How was your experience with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was an excellent doctor that has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Have patience going through the ivf process. Know that it will be financially and physically stressful, but the results are worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Mary Rausch used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Kathy g)
Northwell fertility nursing staff was excellent
The Clinic was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I hit my insurance out of pocket max so I am unsure what the true cost was
Describe Mary Rausch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Dr rausch recommended single embryo transfer which I am very happy with.
Manhasset
He [Dr. Hershlag] was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
I highly recommend this clinic. The only thing that did seem to bother me at times was the length of time I had to wait. He was always booked with patients (even though that is a great sign) because he is very well known. The place was always very clean and everyone was very helpful. ... [Nursing Staff] Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He is a very compassionate doctor who will make you feel comfortable and assure you that you will end up with a family of your own.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He made me feel very comfortable and he was very friendly and spoke using words I understood.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
He told me to keep track of my sleeping patterns because I wake up in the middle of the night with hot flashes due to my very high hcg levels. This would help to control the amount of estrogen I needed to be on to control them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Marie Elise Marella)
Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
My co payments from my insurance were 50 dollars a visit. Donor egg costs range from anywhere between 12,000 to 40,000 depending on if we use frozen or fresh eggs.
Describe Avner Hershlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
He told us that he would only transfer one embryo at a time. Said doing multiple transfers can very well wind up with multiples and he does not recommend that because there is a higher risk of complications.
Manhasset

This doctor [Dr. Hershlag] was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.... He is extremely knowledgeable and consise. I think he could improve in the areas of empathy and support post disappointing news. I think he is a great doctor, I personally needed someone with more hand holding skills. It’s a trying time and you need to feel fully supported.... I had experienced 2 miscarriages and over a year of trying prior to seeking treatment for a fertility clinic. We began with Mutilple tests for my husband and I, followed by IUI’s. We suffered two more miscarriages and are now beginning IVF.
The staff [Northwell Health] is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.... The nursing staff is amazing. They always took the time to sit with me and further explain any information we didn’t understand after meeting with the doctors. They’re at times hard to initially contact via phone, but promptly return phone calls the same day.... One time my progesterone prescription was not promptly called in. However this was additionally an insurance issue.
Ask lots of questions.
The clinic is great and I’m continuing my tx there. However I do believe working in this field for many years, staff becomes desensitized to the emotional toll infertility and loss has on humans and couples. This doctor was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.
The staff is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.
Manhasset

Dr. San Roman is very warm and goes to great lengths to make you feel comfortable. However, sometimes his well-meaning jokes miss the mark—for example joking that you are ruining his statistics. ... I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office [Northwell Health], the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. San Roman is very warm and took the time to explain procedures to us. He is very busy as the only doctor operating out of the office so more often than not, we met with the nurse practitioner and not the doctor. I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Advocate for yourself—do your own research and press him to consider other protocols when the basic protocol does not work for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
The nursing staff is very good. They showed compassion at all stages of treatment.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office, the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
It was an efficient-well oiled machine— you got an appointment time which staggered patients, but the wait times could still get quite long
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Dr. San Roman was unwilling to transfer multiple embryos because we did PGS testing.
Smithtown

Dr. Rausch is extraordinarily compassionate. She demonstrated sensitivity towards my situation and history of miscarriage.... She is the most compassionate doctor I have come across. I genuinely feel that she has my best interests at heart. She took the time to thoroughly explain my test results and the IVF procedure. She is extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy. Above all, I felt that she truly cares about her patients.
Strength [of Northwell Health]: I was able to get an appointment right away, even as a new patient Weakness: inability to contact front desk and most times, you must leave a voicemail. It is difficult to get someone on the phone. The phone is not answered at all on weekends.... Doreen was extremely compassionate. She took the time to ease my anxiety and explain procedures in detail.
Be prepared with all of your questions. She will take the necessary time to answer all each question thoroughly and honestly.
IVF, which was converted to IUI due to only 2 follicles teaching the desired measurements. I was on 300 mL of Menopur and 300 mL of Gonal-f, in addition to 0.25 mg of Cetrotide. I was also administered Clomid for 5 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Doreen )
Strength: I was able to get an appointment right away, even as a new patient Weakness: inability to contact front desk and most times, you must leave a voicemail. It is difficult to get someone on the phone. The phone is not answered at all on weekends.
$7,000 copay for IVF (Emblem Health)
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Mullin] very approachable, and makes you feel like a person. She always spends time answering my questions, and going through everything. I felt there were certain interventions that could have been done sooner, but I trust the process. ... Husband was sent to urologist after 2 cycles of IUI. We felt that since we had slight known male factor we should have been sent sooner.
Strengths: everyone [ North Shore] I have met is very nice, and competent. Weakness: IUIs are done at a separate office, so I’ve had different providers within the clinic do our IUIs. Each person was just as nice as the last. ... I was told my FSH was elevated one day, it felt like someone has missed telling me that. Although she didn’t seem very concerned, it was concerning to me. ...
She’s very approachable, and makes you feel like a person. She always spends time answering my questions, and going through everything. I felt there were certain interventions that could have been done sooner, but I trust the process.
Come with questions
She’s very nice, and thorough.
IUI with letrazole: for timed ovulation/ IUI. Husband was sent to urologist after 2 cycles of IUI. We felt that since we had slight known male factor we should have been sent sooner. That’s our only real concern.
Everyone is really compassionate and makes you feel like they’re rooting for you!
Strengths: everyone I have met is very nice, and competent. Weakness: IUIs are done at a separate office, so I’ve had different providers within the clinic do our IUIs. Each person was just as nice as the last.
IUI is covered by insurance.
Describe Christine Mullin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I believe she only does single embryo.

2019, 5 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had ... Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers. ... He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The clinic [Northwell Health] is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time. ... The monitoring was efficient and smooth. The technician was very gently and kind, which goes a long way.
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The nurses were compassionate, comforting and encouraging.
The clinic is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Copays
New York City
Dr. Cohen is knowledgeable and has many years of experience. He does not give you false hope and he cares. He is patient and is always available to answer questions. He gives you a well thought out plan to achieve your intense goals. ... Dr Cohen makes you feel like a human. He is very caring and understanding ... Everyone is friendly and easy to get in touch.
Everyone [at Northwell Health] is friendly and easy to get in touch. Appointments are easy to make. Sometimes there is a long wait depending on the day. Parking is easy. There is valet parking. The clinic is clean and the waiting room is comfortable. ... The only whole staff is amazing from the Nurse Practitioner, Doreen to Dr. Cohen’s nurse, Vahida. They also showed concern and was always around for support and to answer questions.
Be patient. And write down all your questions. Don’t be afraid to raise any concerns or questions you have
Dr Cohen makes you feel like a human. He is very caring and understanding
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida RN)
Everyone is friendly and easy to get in touch. Appointments are easy to make. Sometimes there is a long wait depending on the day. Parking is easy. There is valet parking. The clinic is clean and the waiting room is comfortable.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He's [Dr. Hershlag] kind, compassionate and knows what he's doing. We didn't get off to the best start, but he grew on us. We waited almost 2 hours our first time and he didn't even apologize. I was also in denial about my infertility. Once I started my first cycle I felt more like I belonged there....He likes to give hugs to all his patients...Cycle 1 was birth control protocol with 300 follostim and 150 menopur, garinelix and hcg trigger. 11 egg retrieved all mature, 7 fertilized, 6 blasts, 1 pgs tested normal embryo. Cycle 2 was microdose lupron and the above meds. Estrogen was high so stopped lupron.
Calling the main number is annoying, but once your assigned a nurse you get a direct number. I also have the financial adviser and patient liaison for my doctor on speed dial. Everyone is super friendly. Once you start cycling you get to meet everyone...My nurse [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
He's kind, compassionate and knows what he's doing. We didn't get off to the best start, but he grew on us. We waited almost 2 hours our first time and he didn't even apologize. I was also in denial about my infertility. Once I started my first cycle I felt more like I belonged there.
Stick with it, it might not work the first couple of times. He grew on me.
He likes to give hugs to all his patients
Cycle 1 was birth control protocol with 300 follostim and 150 menopur, garinelix and hcg trigger. 11 egg retrieved all mature, 7 fertilized, 6 blasts, 1 pgs tested normal embryo. Cycle 2 was microdose lupron and the above meds. Estrogen was high so stopped lupron. 13 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts and 2 pgs tested normal embryos. 2 FET's with PIO IM shots, doxy, medrol and estrace. No pregnancy so far. I'm 43 . ***PS- I'm in the Warriors Facebook group, not sure where I'm supposed to put that in this survey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny Cutolo)
My nurse was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
Those were the easiest appointment to schedule. Usually no wait. They pretty much have that down in the morning.
my insurance had a 25k max which almost lasted 2 cycles
Since we did PGS he suggested 1 and we only wanted one at a time. First cycle we only had one anyway
Manhasset

Through the course of our IVF treatment, we only met with Dr. Hershlag twice over a period of 5 months. Often it was a struggle to receive timely and accurate information....Dr. Hershlag was not present for a large majority of our process. During the initial consult he did not take the time to thouroughly explain IUI or other options we could look into. We had recently experienced a miscarriage and I felt this was not investigated enough. After testing my sperm and simply telling us they were an “A plus” he looked to set us up on the IVF schedule. He did not perform any of the sonograms or even the egg retrieval, or even once bother to schedule an appointment to check in.
The nursing staff [at North Shore] constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity...The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. ...It was a packed office and a cattle call...review all billing carefully.
Please don’t expect to communicate or see him for almost all or most of the process.
Through the course of our IVF treatment, we only met with Dr. Hershlag twice over a period of 5 months. Often it was a struggle to receive timely and accurate information. The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. Furthermore, the nurses did not accurately and efficiently communicate our medication needs to the pharmacy, which cost us additional expenses. There is not enough staff to deal with the volume of patients.
I was sent to a urologist to check my prostatitis, given antiobiotics to treat a minor infection, and not checked before sperm donation again to make sure the infection was gone. We were instructed to use follistim, estradiol, progesterone in oil, and HGC shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
The nursing staff constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity.
Terrible communication. No one mentioned the office would be closed for Martin Luther King day, which happened to be a key date for instructions in our process! After investigating this in person I was told someone should have picked up the phone and called you back. No one did. Expect to wait up to two hours if you have a Monday afternoon appointment. Please review all billing carefully.
It was a packed office and a cattle call. In one instance I had to ask a nurse to pull my wife’s chart so they could draw her blood.
PGS testing 300 testing per embryo. They would never give us the exact cost of a cycle. Insurance did cover a decent portion.
One of the biggest struggles was this clinics inability to communicate with CVS special care and give them authorization to ship our medications. My wife and I were constantly on the phone because they called in the wrong doses.
Manhasset

Dr. Hershlag made it knows that he prefers a single embryo transfer but before transfer he asked if we want single or multiple embryo transfer... always gives you a hug when he sees you and makes you feel that your success is very important to him... He makes me feel like I am his only patient, although it’s not always the case. Some visits he will ask a question that makes me feel like he doesn’t remember anything about me and the protocol he put me on. I do however understand that it is a very busy clinic and he can’t remember every detail about everyone unless he checks the chart. I wish he does check it before seeing me so that I don’t feel so confused at times.
Jackie [at Northwell Health] is a great nurse but she is always busy and running around his sometimes she seems to care about you and sometimes she doesn’t. However, every time I need an answer on something I would email her and she would always answer or call back. I never had to wait for more than an hour for her response. She is great at that...After the egg retrieval the embryologist called with number of fertilized eggs and number of embryos but nothing else. How many were natural how many were ICSI’ed we had no clue. Questions were brushed off. We did not learn about our embryo grades after 2 failed transfer when we made an appointment to see Dr. Hershlag so he an explain to us. That was the only problem with this clinic, that part needs to be communicated better.
Dr. Hershlag is a good doctor, no doubt. I feel confident to be under his care and believe in him. He makes me feel like I am his only patient, although it’s not always the case. Some visits he will ask a question that makes me feel like he doesn’t remember anything about me and the protocol he put me on. I do however understand that it is a very busy clinic and he can’t remember every detail about everyone unless he checks the chart. I wish he does check it before seeing me so that I don’t feel so confused at times. When my transfers did not work, he changed protocols each time which made me feel like he is proactive and is trying to achieve my pregnancy. After 2 failed transfers we asked for additional tests so we don’t go to the last embryo transfer blindly but he didn’t seem like he was eager to do it at all. I did not like that. Overall, he is a great doctor and I trust him I just wish the clinic wasn’t that busy so he could spend more time thinking of tests and other protocols that could change the outcome. In the end, I trust him and hope to be successful with him.
Ask questions and do your research. If you don’t understand something ask again. If you feel brushed off ask again. You are doing a major work so any answer that doesn’t explain anything needs to be asked again until you feel comfortable.
Dr. Hershlag always gives you a hug when he sees you and makes you feel that your success is very important to him.
For my IUI, it was Clomid thy was used. For my IVF cycle, it was Gonal F.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jackie Nolan)
Jackie is a great nurse but she is always busy and running around his sometimes she seems to care about you and sometimes she doesn’t. However, every time I need an answer on something I would email her and she would always answer or call back. I never had to wait for more than an hour for her response. She is great at that.
The staff is great and they are super nice to you. They remember you by name and always eager to help. However, it’s a very busy clinic so sometimes you are waiting for more than an hour. I think they are doing their best but it’s just impossible sometimes.
It was great if it wasn’t too busy otherwise you would have to wait a bit. I always made it to work on time though. No complains
My insurance only covered diognostics and IUI, IVf and medication is out of pocket. $17K for cycle, $9K for medication so far, 1st transfer included, 5K per transfer after that, $300 per embryo for PGS.
Manhasset

When first met he [Dr. Singer] took the time to study all our recordes/results and stated IVF w PGS will help and once we have embryos we will see by the transfer how sevire is the ednomiosis. When we had 2 losses, he said it the edno and blood issues . Recomended Gestational carrier to not loose these hard to create pgs healthy embryos. ... Used Letrozole with a 450 gonal F and 150 menupure which made more eggs and less side effects.
[Monitoring Appointments] You signed in and based on the order people came they were seen without consideration to the appointment time ... Nice renovated clinic [Northwell Health], they try to move paitents quickly in the morning, you only see the doctor if you request if not an image technion does the ultrasound. Sometime mornings are crowded can take up to 2 hours of wait. Prosidures done in Grate neck Northwell clinic, they provide a car service.
When first met he took the time to study all our recordes/results and stated IVF w PGS will help and once we have embryos we will see by the transfer how sevire is the ednomiosis. When we had 2 losses, he said it the edno and blood issues . Recomended Gestational carrier to not loose these hard to create pgs healthy embryos.
For me once beta shows pregnent, the doctor was very discoriging as it was on lower side and was hard to stay positive.
When comung to visit the team is very frendly and know your name and situation.
Describe the protocols Tomer Singer used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Care coordinator and ultrasound technishions were really nice and good, someone from the nursing calls to let you know what to do and when come back but doesnt give more information
Nice renovated clinic, they try to move paitents quickly in the morning, you only see the doctor if you request if not an image technion does the ultrasound. Sometime mornings are crowded can take up to 2 hours of wait. Prosidures done in Grate neck Northwell clinic, they provide a car service.
20k for each IVF cycle, bloodwork and medication not included. If wish PGS it is 2.5K separate.
Describe Tomer Singer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
He prefered multiple at my age and we wanted single, transfer was single.
There was a staff change and that resulted in getting results very late or next day and the overload caused misscomunication and emailing to get things done.
Lenox Hill

Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s... The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they [Northwell Health] set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.... At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time
Again his bedside matter was amazing, he remembers you by name and interests not just by face. Always welcoming. I wish I only saw him and no one else. The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row and getting the same response. Nothing more nothing less. I was up for change to try anything. But when you don’t see only him and bounce around thru the clinic I feel like it’s hard to meet goals.
Try to communicate exactly what your goals and expectations are.
Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s.. but he is nothing short of wonderful.
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Treatment protocol, 3 day of cycle , sonogram. Started a round of drugs, came back for monitoring twice. Triggered and went in for IUIs. Got 0 results and repeated the same medication atleast more then three times in a row, upped the dosage once . I feel like personally after the third time and getting the same failed result something somewhere should have been changed.
At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time she became very cold and not so friendly. I almost felt like she hadn’t seen any success or moving forward with me, and I was almost like a waste of her time.
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Everything was covered I paid for medication and copays. Ivf I was told was covered but turned out it was not

Embryo Freezing
I feel doctor singer is very kind and professional. I think he knows what he is talking about and very educated in all things IvF. He is direct and to the point and views the process as common. Although I like Dr. Singer I feel his bedside manner is lacking. I think he could be more compassionate and make a point to see a patient more than just at scheduled procedures. I met him at my first consultations and then not again until he was needed for my procedure.
The strengths of this clinic [North Shore Long Island Jewish] are the many locations. They have offices, 1 in manhattan, 1 in garden city, and 1 in manhasset. The nurses, andrologist, and sono technicians were all very kind caring and helpful. The nyc clinic is understaffed which makes for very long wait times. Each appointment I’ve waited atleast an hour to be seen. The front desk reception girls are over worked and thus can come off as rude. They are also not fully educated on the procedures and timelines. As a whole the office can feel frantic due to the under staffing which leads to less personal care.
Be prepared to wait for ALL appointments. The scheduling is not very organized and all staff from doctors to billing to reception are overworked.
I felt the nurses, andrologist, and sono technician were caring but over worked so the care was quick and frantic at times. They also seem to be last minute. I feel the front staff was unorganized and at times rude.
I am currently in my first cycle so I am unable to provide results. We will be using my husbands sperm which was retrieved through tese surgery and frozen. I will be taking FSH injections 150 and 150 of HMG. We will then do an egg retrieval and hopefully do a fresh transfer.
Melissa was amazing. She herself went through Ivf so was very understanding and easy to talk to. She was sympathetic and good at communicating next steps. Unfortunately she was over worked and overloaded with patients so the care would have been even better if this were not the case. Regardless she was caring and I really like her.
The strengths of this clinic are the many locations. They have offices, 1 in manhattan, 1 in garden city, and 1 in manhasset. The nurses, andrologist, and sono technicians were all very kind caring and helpful. The nyc clinic is understaffed which makes for very long wait times. Each appointment I’ve waited atleast an hour to be seen. The front desk reception girls are over worked and thus can come off as rude. They are also not fully educated on the procedures and timelines. As a whole the office can feel frantic due to the under staffing which leads to less personal care.
We were partially covered under Aetna insurance. We paid a portion of blood work, sonograms, egg retrieval, and fresh transfer costs. Sperm freezing and unfreezing, sperm storage, and embryo storage were all out of pocket costs which ran us just over $5,000
My doctor was open to both but did not properly educate me on the reasonings.
Some of my paperwork, like a pap from my obgyn was misfiled. The paperwork was later found but after many phone calls. My husbands tese results were never told to me. I have to call the doctor and office 3 times and was told he would let me know a few days later to then be told I need to speak with my husbands doctor after waiting for the results for a week.