Mental health counseling is not offered
Mental health counseling is not offered

1750 SW Harbor Way
Portland, OR 97201
503-766-2168

[Dr. Stoelk] was willing to do whatever I wanted as far as number of embryos to transfer. He advised strongly to transfer 1 but was open to whatever I felt comfortable with...He never had a nurse with him during visits, so if your partner isn’t with you be prepared for that. I felt that as a doctor he follows older practices that he is comfortable with without a lot of wiggle room
The [Northwest Fertility Center] clinical nurse gave me her personal number and has always been there to answer any and all questions. She is extremely kind and compassionate and supportive...we retrieved 11 eggs which was discouraging as I had hoped for more. 9 were mature and 8 fertilized. All 8 made it to blasts...$350 consult fee $500 preliminary labs and scan $18,000 Ivf treatment and medications $175
How was your experience with Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
When I first saw Dr Stoelk I got the feeling that he just wanted money and to be in complete control. I felt he knew how to navigate the situation to his desired outcome. I chose to come back to his office because I read a number of reviews praising him and his success rates. I wanted success. I always felt he expected me to have my questions prepared or he wouldn’t address them. I never got pictures from ultrasounds or appointments except my transfer photo of my embryo. I felt disconnected from him as a doctor. He never had a nurse with him during visits, so if your partner isn’t with you be prepared for that. I felt that as a doctor he follows older practices that he is comfortable with without a lot of wiggle room. My entire treatment felt very generic and my appointments sparse in contrast to other woman’s experiences. During my FET I was only seen 1 time before the transfer and it felt like my transfer was later in my cycle than others as well. During my miscarriage I have felt a lack of compassion and been directed to call with my next period to set up another cycle without reviewing what could have gone wrong or running any additional testing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
Try to run your own ship. You need him to help you along the way, but if you want your desired outcome you need to be strong and vocal and ask the questions. Many infertile woman lean on faith, but we also expect our doctors to do right by us faith aside. He is a faith based clinic and I fear that at times can remove the push to be attentive because it’s easy for the doctor to say “it’s in God’s hands not mine”.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
I felt there was always a line. During my egg retrieval it felt like herding cattle. There was also more and more charges that weren’t addressed when I inquired about total costs. We never reviewed my personal case and possible changes. I was told to call on my next period after my MC and never discussed the reasons why I lost a PGS embryo. I felt like a paycheck more than a human. He never remembered who I was or my case so he reviewed my chart with me each visit and repeated the same general information. There was no personal or emotional connection to me or my story.
Describe the protocols Eugene Stoelk used in your cycles at Northwest Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We used menopure, gonal-F and ganarelix. I was given a predicted amount of meds prior to cycle and when I ran out Dr advised me to just use what was left and it should be fine. He never reviewed with my what protocol or why but I trusted his judgment and success based on others reviews. I gave him full control. I was very disappointed to only show 6 follicles before triggering but he said my left ovary didn’t cooperate. In the end we retrieved 11 eggs which was discouraging as I had hoped for more. 9 were mature and 8 fertilized. All 8 made it to blasts which shocked the doctor as he had advised me on day 1 that not all fertilized eggs would become embryos. We elected to pgs test to reduce the risk of miscarriage. Only 2 were normal. My FET of pgs normal embryo ended in a loss.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwest Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Tina )
The front office staff isn’t very social or friendly. It’s a small office so there aren’t many nurses. 1 front office, 1 lab tech, 1 clinical nurse. They all share responsibility but also have their positions. The clinical nurse gave me her personal number and has always been there to answer any and all questions. She is extremely kind and compassionate and supportive. I don’t know how I would have gotten through this experience without her support.
Describe your experience with Northwest Fertility Center.
The clinic is very small. There is only 2 patient rooms which can result in a long wait. The room where retrieval’s and transfers are done is small and not sterile. It is not an operating room like in many clinics. It is a very quaint clinic but definitely different than I anticipated after seeing others experiences. There is no gowns or hair nets. It’s drop your pants and get into position. Because of limited rooms sometimes the wait can be extended.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center.
$350 consult fee $500 preliminary labs and scan $18,000 Ivf treatment and medications $175 additional medication stims $110 Semen Analysis $2300 pgs testing $ 110 medication for fet (progesterone) $ 100 for BC and estrace for Fet Fet medications and monitoring until week 8-12 ( estimated $2000 and up) - $300 per ultrasound - $110 per lab draw - $110 for 10 days of PIO injections
Describe Eugene Stoelk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwest Fertility Center.
Doc was willing to do whatever I wanted as far as number of embryos to transfer. He advised strongly to transfer 1 but was open to whatever I felt comfortable with. We decided 1 just in case something went wrong which it did.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwest Fertility Center.
I was billed incorrectly but when I noticed the issue and called the financial assistant immediately rectified the situation and I was happy after that.
Portland

on at least two occasions I came away from our sessions [with Dr. Eugene Stoelk] not fully informed of what to expect, which led to some disappointing outcomes, and eroded my trust in him. My first month of treatment we were testing my progesterone levels, and I thought we should not be trying to get pregnant during that testing month. However, the Dr. left a voicemail after the test came back with good numbers that he hoped we would see a positive pregnancy test that month...Dr. Stoelk seems unable or unwilling to say the words "sex" or "intercourse." When we talked about the timing of intercourse with my husband for the month he would say I should "be with" or "get with" my husband...This is a medical doctor who is dealing with women's reproductive organs all day long - he should be able to talk about the act that leads to pregnancy in plain language.
She [nurse at Northwest Fertility Center] did not do a good job of fully informing me how to handle the trigger shots, and I ended up panicking that I had done them wrong. When I explained what happened and said I would have liked more clear instructions, she did not do a good job of accepting responsibility or showing any ownership, compassion, or apology. The same thing happened when I did not get clear communication about when to take the pregnancy test, and I ended up with a false positive. Also, none of the nurses washed their hands or wore gloves when taking blood draws, which was concerning to me.
How was your experience with Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
Dr. Stoelk was friendly and knowledgable, and I don't doubt his ability to determine a proper course of treatment. However, on at least two occasions I came away from our sessions not fully informed of what to expect, which led to some disappointing outcomes, and eroded my trust in him. My first month of treatment we were testing my progesterone levels, and I thought we should not be trying to get pregnant during that testing month. However, the Dr. left a voicemail after the test came back with good numbers that he hoped we would see a positive pregnancy test that month. It seems like a small thing, but that was month of trying to get pregnant that we missed for no reason. The next month we used gonadotropin shots and a trigger shot to try to produce more viable eggs. He never told me that I should not test early because there would likely be a false positive. I ended up testing a couple days early and thought I was pregnant, and was then told that it was just the residual hormones from the trigger shot. I was very angry and upset that no one had communicated this to me. Also, Dr. Stoelk seems unable or unwilling to say the words "sex" or "intercourse." When we talked about the timing of intercourse with my husband for the month he would say I should "be with" or "get with" my husband. It was very awkward and strange - it made me feel like I was seeing a Dr. from the 1950's. This is a medical doctor who is dealing with women's reproductive organs all day long - he should be able to talk about the act that leads to pregnancy in plain language.
Don't go - not enough clarity or directness of communication, which leads to confusion, misunderstanding, disappointment, and lack of trust.
Dr. Stoelk's office is small and you see the same people on each visit. Dr. Stoelk does all the examinations and treatments himself.
Dr. Stoelk put me on gonadotropin shots to induce the growth of multiple eggs, monitored by regular ultrasounds, and finished with a trigger shot to trigger ovulation. He said it would not be useful to start with Clomid since I was already ovulating regularly. My issue was low AMH and high FSH, so I needed help jump-starting healthy egg production. We also did not do IUI since I had gotten pregnant from intercourse twice before. I did one cycle of shots with a trigger shot but did not get pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwest Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Chloe)
There was a new nurse named Chloe that handled most of my intakes, blood draws, and medication distribution. She did not do a good job of fully informing me how to handle the trigger shots, and I ended up panicking that I had done them wrong. When I explained what happened and said I would have liked more clear instructions, she did not do a good job of accepting responsibility or showing any ownership, compassion, or apology. The same thing happened when I did not get clear communication about when to take the pregnancy test, and I ended up with a false positive. Also, none of the nurses washed their hands or wore gloves when taking blood draws, which was concerning to me.
Describe your experience with Northwest Fertility Center.
Strengths: Small clinic, intimate setting, direct access to the doctor, easy to make appointments. Weaknesses: Archaic record keeping systems, poor/incomplete communication, felt like seeing a Dr. in the 1950s.
I spent approximately $1750 - it would have been much more, but I had a friend who gave me her unused medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwest Fertility Center.
Already described in previous sections.
Portland

Dr. Stoelk was honest with us about our chances and really felt that we'd have a better chance if she underwent a laparoscopy to clear up endometriosis.... His specialty seems to be endometriosis treatment. My wife underwent laparoscopy to clear this up but this did not improve her fertility or her menstrual pain, both of which should have been improved following this procedure. However, he was very professional in performing this and communicated well with both of us throughout the process
Small clinic [Northwest Fertility Center] in a somewhat older building in the Riverview South Waterfront district. I'd describe the clinic as somewhat cramped with narrow hallways and tiny rooms, including a very small waiting area that can sit maybe 3 couples.... The nurses were pretty fair with us and we appreciated how well and regularly they communicated with Dr. Stoelk and us at the same time. This got everyone on the same page so that we did not hear different things from the doctor and the nursing staff.
How was your experience with Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
If you have endometriosis, he'll want you to undergo laparoscopy
Dr. Stoelk was honest with us about our chances and really felt that we'd have a better chance if she underwent a laparoscopy to clear up endometriosis. He gave us all of the pros and cons to this process.
After laparoscopy to clear up endometriosis, she underwent a cycle of Gonal-F injections with an Oveidrell trigger shot. I had a sperm analysis done that showed that my sperm have normal abundance. After regular intercourse (no intrauterine injection of sperm) this did not result in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwest Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with Northwest Fertility Center.
Small clinic in a somewhat older building in the Riverview South Waterfront district. I'd describe the clinic as somewhat cramped with narrow hallways and tiny rooms, including a very small waiting area that can sit maybe 3 couples.
Gonal-F $1125 Ovidrell $120 Teaching session $200 Office visits $200 Ultrasounds $500 HCG injection $50 Blood draws and testing $310
Portland

Dr. Stoelk [at Northwest Fertility Center] was very rude to us any time we asked for anything out of his typical protocol. He does everything old school on paper and nothing in the computer...There is so many things that he did wrong that has traumatized me. Looking back I should have left sooner, but he had our babies (embryos) and I had never done IVF before and he would tell us that everything we were going through was normal. I should have ran. I did not know it wasn’t normal and was made to believe by Dr. Stoelk himself, that it was and that he had dealt with many women like me, according to him. I finally went to another clinic after multiple unsuccessful transfers with him. I later found out that the tools he was using on me during our transfers were only to be used in surgical settings when patients are under anesthesia. Transfers should only take about 10 mins or so, I would be on his chair for well over an hour, with blood leaking out of me and him blaming me and saying my cervixs are tough, using these tools to try to cut and open my cervix’s. The last time he did it to me, I thought he had perforated my bowels, hi
How was your experience with Eugene Stoelk at Northwest Fertility Center?
There is so many things that he did wrong that has traumatized me. Looking back I should have left sooner, but he had our babies (embryos) and I had never done IVF before and he would tell us that everything we were going through was normal. I should have ran. I did not know it wasn’t normal and was made to believe by Dr. Stoelk himself, that it was and that he had dealt with many women like me, according to him. I finally went to another clinic after multiple unsuccessful transfers with him. I later found out that the tools he was using on me during our transfers were only to be used in surgical settings when patients are under anesthesia. Transfers should only take about 10 mins or so, I would be on his chair for well over an hour, with blood leaking out of me and him blaming me and saying my cervixs are tough, using these tools to try to cut and open my cervix’s. The last time he did it to me, I thought he had perforated my bowels, him trying to shove these instruments inside of me to open my canal to get embryos in, sweat dripping down his face and me screaming out in pain. I won’t go much more into details on that because it’s so hard for me to relive. He would then lie to us and say it was a successful transfer and then pray with us. He did this to me on multiple occasions and the last time it was so bad, a few days later a clot the size of my hand cane out of me. I was in so much pain... i of course immediately called him and he told me once again it was normal and that I could come in next day. So I did and when I went in he did ultrasound and said everything was normal and there was nothing he saw in ultrasound. I was still in so much pain a few days later, I finally decided to get a 2nd opinion. I was told by the doctor at urgent care that I had a large hematoma on my cervixs and he was very alarmed by the size and asked me what had happened. I explained to him and he advised me to find a new Fertility Doctor. He said it was not normal and was very concerned. I of course then was very confused and upset and I went back to Dr. Stoelk for another follow up and at this time he said that he thinks I have endometriosis. Long story short he wanted me to go under the knife with him. After this I never went back to him, except to get my remaining babies. Dr. Stoelk had tried to diagnose me with fibroids, endometriosis, scaring off the cervixs, among many other terrible experiences with him. I went to 4 other doctors in Portland, 2 of which are other fertility clinics and they found no such things. Thank God I never went under the knife with him. I took my babies to another Ivf clinic and I was so afraid to do the transfer after what Dr. Stoelk has put me through, and it was like night and day. I didn’t even feel a thing and there were no surgical tools and it was done in a matter of minutes. I couldn’t believe it! I was floored. I’m so grateful to my new clinic, they have been so good to us and have really helped us start to heal from what Dr. Stoelk has put us through. We ended up pregnant with our first transfer at our new clinic. I just worry about other women and the things he might have told them that was normal. I lose sleep thinking of the 5 babies of ours that he didn’t even give a chance to. He lied to us and made me go through the worst pain in my life... and tried to blame me and my body. He is sick and because of him I’m am dealing with a PTSD. I cannot believe the pain and trauma I withstood... looking back, we will do anything for our chances to have a baby. I feel like if I stayed, mine could have cost me my life or permanently damaged for life.
Dr. Stoelk was very rude to us any time we asked for anything out of his typical protocol. He does everything old school on paper and nothing in the computer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwest Fertility Center.
There were times when I was going through the transfers and Dr. Stoelk had to ask the receptionist to come help because he needed more hands because the tools he was using he had to have the 1 nurse there to help him because I was bleeding and the receptionist hold the ultrasound so he could try to transfer the embryos.
We spent close to $20,000