Genetic counseling: Offered
Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

7.1

PCOS, Other
When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he [Dr. Jain] remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. ... Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him.
The office [Northwestern Med] has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has always been supportive of my interest in trying supplementary treatment outside of just the RE world (i.e. supplements, Naturopath, acupuncture). He has been very flexible with doing things on our timeline and not his or the clinics. He has given us his honest medical opinion for treatment based on our clinical presentation. I have never felt like he was forcing us into doing certain treatments (i.e. going right to IVF after my miscarriage). He has been clear and direct with us and explained all the medical language he was using. One issue I had was when I was 3 days after my D&C when I was in significant pain due to additional clots passing. Another doctor in the clinic performed my surgery so she was the one who I saw when I went into the clinic to figure out what was going on. After, it all subsided and i passed all the tissue I heard from my nurse who I work with but I did not hear from Dr. Jain himself about the issues after my surgery.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Come in with questions. If you do your research before you will be able to get even more out of your appointment than you have to begin with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jain has very personable with my husband and I since our first appointment. When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. He has been very kind and compassionate since the first time we met him. I never felt like he was rushing us through our appointments with him. He was very patient with us. Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him. I have felt like he completely understands this is more than just a typical medical issue that you would see your primary doctor for. He understands that infertility is more than just physical issue in the body and it is almost highly emotional and mental.
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have done 6 IUI's up to this date. Dr. Jain's rationale for performing IUI's was because my main issue with irregular cycles due to mild PCOS. I had no other abnormal test results that indicated a more severe treatment was needed (i.e. IVF). He also had me immediately start taking 25 mcg of Synthroid to balance out my thyroid. For the IUI's, I took 5 mg of letrozole and then used the ovidrel trigger shot for each cycle. On the second IUI, my uterine lining wasn't thickening as it should have been so they put me on 10 mg of Estradiol. This was the cycle I got pregnant! I had an early miscarriage for unknown cause (genetic test showed the baby was chromosomal normal). For the following 3 IUI's, Dr. Jain had me taking 20 mg progesterone suppositories following the IUI to help assist with implantation. Throughout this process I have had to increase my Synthroid dose. After my 5th IUI (4th failed), we decided to take a break from treatments and see a Naturopath doctor. After a few months of diet change and additional testing/treatments suggested by the Naturopath we returned to Dr. Jain to discuss next treatment options. He went talked us through what IVF would look like and the pros and cons for our situation. He also talked about the pros and cons of continuing with IUI's. He was very supportive and willing to continue with IUI's because we had success. After that appointment, we decided to try more IUI's. We had our 6th IUI in March 2020 with the same treatment protocol listed above. We had set a plan with Dr. Jain for what we would do different if I got a positive pregnancy test. This included taking blood thinners to help maintain the pregnancy. Unfortunately, I did not get pregnant from that cycle. We are currently in a holding pattern right now due to COVID-19 and have not been able to start another IUI. Our plan is to try two more IUI's and see if either is successful before discussing other options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
My nurse Joyce has been amazing. She has been an amazing communicator since the first day I met her. She will quickly return my messages through the online chart or phone call. When I was in significant pain following my D&C she was the one who got in me into the clinic to see the doctor who performed my surgery. She has been so kind and compassionate with me as well. She is the one who called me to tell me the results of the genetic test of my baby following my miscarriage. She was the one who told me the baby I lost was a boy. I could hear the sadness in her voice as she told me all this. I did not feel like she was just making another call with results to the patients. I would also like to state that all the nurses who performed my IUI's have been amazing during the procedures. They have been completely understanding of what is going on with us. They are extremely knowledgeable. When I first decided to do IUI's I thought it would be the doctor doing them. But when I found out it was the nurses I was a little hesitant because I didn't know what the norm was in a large clinic. After my first experience with the nurse performing my IUI I no longer was unsure. They have been so professional and competent and great cheerleaders every time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
A weakness of my clinic is the size. The office has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance did not cover any procedures. It is $709 per IUI. My Ovidrel injections cost $92. We paid co-pays per our insurance for all other appointments.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
During the process of my first IUI the doctor reading my mid-cycle ultrasound and bloodwork told me I had likely ovulated already and potentially missed the chance to do the IUI. This was NOT my doctor. This was a doctor different from Dr. Jain. When we finally spoke with Dr. Jain corrected that doctor and told me I had not ovulated and we had not missed our chance for the IUI. Again, the issue was with another doctor in the clinic and also not Dr. Jain. This was unfortunately the doctor who told me I had miscarried. At that time, I did not feel like she had given us a lot of compassion or had a lot of emotion for what we were going through.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

Dr. Jain listened to our concerns from our previous two IVF cycles and adjusted our protocol to help achieve our desired results (i.e. no OHSS) for our third cycle.... After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs.
I would definitely recommend the Northwestern Fertility Clinic. Given that they’re part of the Northwestern network of hospitals, it gives me faith that I am working with top notch care givers in a top notch institution. The appointments are usually very well run and efficient. The only drawback is that since they’re such a large clinic, there is little room for flexibility. If you are unable to make it to a monitoring appointment betweem the ascribed times, you will have to wait until the next day.
Investor
We were initially introduced to Dr. Jain during our third embryo transfer. He was kind and careful during that procedure. I ended up becoming pregnant but lost the baby nine weeks later. As an aside, it turns out that the baby had a severe case of down syndrome. In between the embryo transfer and our miscarriage, our doctor had retired and it was recommended that we meet with Dr. Jain for our follow-up appointment. Despite being a large clinic, Dr. Jain remembered performing our embryo transfer and gave his condolences several times given that we lost the baby from that transfer. We decided to move forward with Dr. Jain for our third, and hopefully last, IVF cycle. We just had our egg retrieval two day’s ago, but so far Dr. Jain has been extremely sympathetic to our situation, needs and wishes and has done whatever was in his ability to set us up for a good outcome. Most importantly, he listens to what we have to say.
I would tell a perspective patient that they most likely won’t see Dr. Jain often but know that he is working behind the scenes and will monitor your case and implement your wishes however he can. So please speak up. Dr. Jain is there to listen and craft a plan with your assistance.
I am prone to OHSS. After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs. He put me on 75 units of Menopur and 125 units of Follistim. After five days, he reduced my Follistim dose to 100 units and we discontinued my stims after 8 days. The doctor who performed my egg retrieval, Dr. Boots, ended up getting 16 eggs of which 11 fertilized. We are much happier with this modest amount.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana M. Sullivan, RN)
My primary nurse, Dana Sullivan, RN, could not be a better caregiver. I have work with three different REs (the first two retired) and she has been my one constant. Dana is kind and companionate and the one that I’ve talked to when I had a positive beta and a negative beta. She also sought me out at the clinic after my miscarriage to give her condolences. She is great at what she does.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic down monitoring within a two hour window each morning during the early hours (6:45 to 7:45, I believe). While this doesn’t always jive with our schedule, especially with a little one at home that needs to be dropped off at daycare, once we get to the clinic, monitoring appointments usually run very smoothly. I am usually in and out within twenty minutes.
We are lucky in that our insurance covers the procedures related to IVF. We only have to pay for medications and genetic testing. That being said, we asked Dr. Jain to send in the request for medications in December even though we weren’t doing IVF until February because we had already spent our deductible in 2018 and the medications would be free (we’ll take our small wins where we can). Dr. Jain complied but failed to order enough Follistim to cover a minimum of 8 days. What we had only covered 7 days. We had to purchase more Follistim in February because we were 75 units short and it cost us $1.5k. We will also have to pay for genetic testing, which will likely cost around $5k.
The fertility clinic as a whole has a very strict one embryo transfer policy. I’m not sure what circumstances would make the doctors change this protocol. Perhaps if the patient is over 40 and did not test their embryos they would be more willing to transfer more than one.
I have had the clinic fail to order the right dose of stim medications causing me to spend an addition $1.5k for just a one day dose (100 units) of Follistim. The clinic has also failed on more than one occasion to refill my Synthroid prescription despite my requests and they have sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy. That being said, these are minor errors in the grand scheme of things. They have never made a critical error.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Eve [Feinberg] truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. ... I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through.
I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments. ... I felt the nurses were top notch and extremely knowledgeable. I communicated with them almost daily through the patient portal and their responses were always warm and timely.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Eve truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. Eve went through my records from my previous clinic thoroughly and found numerous errors they made in medication dosing, which she guessed was having an adverse affect on the quality of our embryos. She adjusted my medications and carefully monitored me during the stimulation cycle, and after a failed first cycle adjusted further. She called me herself to let me know that that first cycle would probably not result in pregnancy and I appreciated her honesty. She said we would do things differently the next cycle. She got it right. We were successful on our second round after a short three months of active treatment, versus a year and half at my previous clinic. The only regret I have in all of this is not going to her in the first place.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions and voice any concerns you have - she will listen to you. Call today because she books up months in advance!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Eve Feinberg was the third RE I saw during my two year battle with infertility. I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through. She called me multiple times throughout my treatment and was always accessible via phone or email - much more than any other doctor I worked with during treatment. She also called me personally with positive pregnancy test results and was reassuring in my concerns of another miscarriage. Eve went through IVF herself, and I found her extremely relatable and sympathetic to the entire process. For those saying that they never saw her and worked mostly with the nurses, that is how all fertility clinics are set up, so you need to expect that no matter where you are being treated. Ultimately, she is the one overseeing your care and treating you, but only expect to see your actual doctor a few times during your treatment. That's pretty standard.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
After three miscarriages, Eve suggested an estrogen priming cycle before my first egg retrieval with her to increase the number of egg-containing follicles. She also lowered my injectable medication doses after seeing that they wreaked havoc on my embryos at my previous clinic. In addition, she added in human growth hormone to improve egg quality. That cycle did not work, but we started the next cycle immediately following my period instead of waiting an entire month to start again (like my previous doctor did). She suspected the dosing she had me on was not enough. She then increased the doses on my injectables and kept the growth hormone protocol. I produced 10 eggs that round, which is the most I had ever had. She also put me on an immune protocol after my embryos were transferred to suppress my system in case it was attacking the pregnancies. She put me on prednisone, Pepcid AC, Claritin, and baby aspirin. It seemed to do the trick because I became pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Fertility clinics are all very similar, and it helps to know this going in. Yes, the monitoring appointments feel like a cattle call, and yes, sometimes you need to wait to be seen. This is par for the course. I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't know offhand but my insurance covers most of my treatment. Our costs were minimal compared to most people, and the most we paid besides medication costs was the fee to freeze and store our leftover embryos which is $1200.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I know Eve feels strongly that eSET is the way to go in younger patients, but with my history of repeated pregnancy loss she agreed that transferring two embryos would yield the best results (despite the risks that come with a multiple pregnancy). That being said, she really takes into account your personal situation to make decisions like that.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Pavone is a very professional women. She spent time with me during my consult and listened to me explain my history and gave my husband and I a plan. She was knowledgeable and polite but was not warm and fuzzy. I only met her once, so I can’t really say how my experience as her patient was since I only spent one hour of my 6 month treatment course with her. I would ask questions through my nurses to her and they would be the communicators of her information. Other than the initial visit, I never felt like my condition (PCOS) was explained to me. I didn’t know why I was ovulating each month, had normal labs, responded to the medication, but wasn’t getting pregnant. No one took the time to explain that to me and when I asked they’d say “the body just sometimes doesn’t take.” Which is fine, but why?! What happens to my eggs in particular? During my IUIs I asked for a change in the planned course of medication dosage and I got shut down. Meanwhile, midcycle, I wasn’t responding to my letrozole and they decided on cycle day 20 to increase my dose and restart the whole process (just like I had suggested on cycle day 1). I feel that if Dr. Pavone saw me in the office as she walked by, she wouldn’t even know if I was her patient. Again, I didn’t have an in-depth treatment course with her- I wasn’t to the point of IVF so maybe I just wasn’t a serious enough case to be seen by a doctor, but I just felt slightly ignored and neglected and I don’t think any patient would like to feel that way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be your own advocate and fight for yourself and your body. Ask for meetings and speak up with lots of questions. if your plan isn’t working, don’t just keep going along with it without knowing why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Pavone for my initial consultation. She performed an US and blood work, and diagnosed me with PCOS based on the results. She told me at our initial meeting that she treats PCOS with 3 rounds of medicated timed intercourse and 3 rounds of medicated IUI. I never saw her again to discuss why the process may not be working or even to change my medication dosage. I felt like it was just a standard “ok you have PCOS this is the plan” but not necessarily a plan for me and my body. Also, The office felt very sterile. When you came in for a morning appointment, women were corralled in the hallway waiting to check in- and a women behind a computer shouted “NEXT” and then when you approached the desk she just said “NAME.” Felt very “DMV”- like. Also, each time I came in for an US , the nurse or technician wouldn’t remember why I was there- even though it should be on my chart. They would say things like “is this an US before IVF?” When it would just be my mid cycle scan.
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
In regards to treatment strategies, Dr. Pavone, after diagnosing me with PCOS, decided that trialing three rounds of medicated timed intercourse followed by medicated IUIs would suite my diagnosis well. None of them were successful and we did not change the course for any of the cycles even though I asked to change medication dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: It was a primary nursing team- Anitra, Syrena, and a few others whom I didnt work with frequently.)
I really enjoyed having a primary nursing team, I felt that it helped narrow down the amount of people I was communicating with. They were very responsive to my emails and I talked to them 99% of the time over my Physician. Anitra was especially compassionate and I felt like she advocated for my care.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: they’re apart of a major hospital working on the forefront of medicine. The team of doctors and nurses are very intelligent and worked hard to get a job at the office. Labwork, US, retrieval’s, etc are all performed on location. The communication via MyChart is very easy to use and they respond to your questions within 24 hours. The office waiting room sometimes has snacks available for the patients. Weaknesses: overalll feeling of being “just a number”. Long wait times/ unorganized format for drawing bloodwork & US, unfriendly front desk staff, and felt like a very “sterile” environment. It was also very hard for me to get ahold of medical records that I needed when I transferred doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My care was 100% covered since my insurance it with the same hospital.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Non applicable.
At the end of our 6 IUI/medicated rounds, we decided we were unhappy overall with the care provided from northwestern and decided to switch facilities. When I contacted northwestern about obtaining results from certain procedures or labs, they gave me a hard time. Sent me to medical records who in turn said they didn’t have record of certain results and then I ultimately got sent back to the office and the nurse was able to email it to me. I was confused as to why she couldn’t do that for me in the first place instead of giving me the run around. This wasted time and created unnecessary stress on myself and my husband. Also, I needed a certain cycle to be submitted to insurance so that I could get my IVF covered. I left multiple messages with the northwestern care team asking them to submit the information to insurance and got no response for weeks. When I finally got a response, I was told my primary financial coordinator had left the practice “months ago.” While this is fine that someone leaves a job position, it is not fine that my messages were still being sent and taken but no one was responding. I don’t understand how you leave a job and don’t let your patients know who they should contact now that you’ve left. Not only was I unhappy with the care while I was there, but now they’re ruining my chances with my new clinic. I ended up going to medical records myself and making my own copies for my new facility.
Mary Ellen Pavone
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2020
The Northwestern Medicine Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Clinic is great! They are knowledgeable, kind, patient, and provide hope. They have made this process less scary and eased our anxiety along the way. One drawback would be the wait time for scheduling appointments with your doctor. ... The monitoring appointments were convenient and occurred before work hours. The process was efficient and smoothly ran.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman has been amazing during our infertility journey. We met her for a consultation the day after my 40th birthday. She has been informative, comforting, and encouraging. She has been thorough in presenting us with all our options, making sure we understand next steps and available to answer questions that arise along the way. Most recently after our stimulation process did not produce the results we were hoping for, she scheduled a telehealth appointment (due to COVID-19) to check-in with us to ensure we were okay. She gives us hope that they process will eventually work!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Any prospective patient would be in great hands with Dr. Goldman. I would recommend scheduling in advance as she is often booked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman took the time to explain our options (IUI, IVF) and answered our many questions during our consultation and subsequent appointments. She has been comforting while providing us with realistic and sensitive information. She has been able to ease our anxieties during this whole process and has given us hope for a child(ren).
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We completed two IUI cycles. I was prescribed Clomid for 5 days and then an Ovidrel injection. Neither IUI cycle resulted in pregnancy. We have gone through one round of egg stimulation and retrieval thus far. We have not been able to do another cycle of stimulation nor transfer due to the COVID 19 emergency. Due to my age, I was prescribed high doses of stimulation medications to retrieve as many eggs as possible. ( Gonal F 300 units/day; Menopur 150 units/day; Ganirelix 250 mg; Ovidrel 250 mg as the trigger shot). The egg stimulation resulted in 12 eggs retrieved. 10 of the eggs fertilized and we had 4 embryos created. Due to my age, genetic testing was recommended. After the genetic testing was complete, we have 1 healthy embryo for eventual transfer.
The nursing staff are warm, compassionate, and uplifting. They have been responsive to any and all questions presented to them.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance coverage for fertility medications is a $10,000 lifetime allotment and 10% out of pocket copay. I went through this allotment very fast and the copay amount was pretty high. The Northwestern Medicine Specialty Pharmacy was willing to work with me and my insurance to maximize the most insurance coverage and less the out of pocket expense. The clinic has a $2,095 payment for embryo storage that is due before the stimulation process can begin. We spent just over $3500 for medication copays, medications, and genetic testing. Thus in total our out of pocket cost for the egg stimulation/retrieval is over $5,600. We will have to pay out of pocket for any further medication associated with the embryo transfer and if we would like to pursue another round of egg stimulation/retrieval. Unfortunately, we were informed that there is no financial assistance available for us during this process through Northwester Medicine nor EMD Serrano as we do not qualify financially :(
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Goldman recommended a single embryo transfer to ensure the likelihood of a successful, healthy pregnancy.
Kara Goldman
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. ... She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist. ... She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!) ...
NW [Northwestern Medicine] does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment. ... The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi made us feel instantly at ease. She explained things thoroughly and answered our millions of questions with kindness and expertise. She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and be your own advocate. If you have multiple losses, seek out a reputable Reproductive Immunologist to work with Dr. Bernardi. If you have unexplained infertility, insist upon the ReceptivaDX to test for the biomarker for endometriosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!)
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Bernardi did every test (except for ones related to immunology). Based on my AMH, it was determined that have diminished ovarian reserve. Therefore she did not want to over suppress my ovaries. My standard treatment for medicated cycles was: 350 Gonal F Trigger: 250 Ovidrel When that didn't produce more than 2 follicles, we tried Menopur and Estrogen priming but got poorer results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana our Nurse is like family! She is there for us at any time and we really feel that she is rooting for us. She is so quick to get back to us and is so compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a very large clinic so expect a cattle call kind of office. Sometimes there is standing room only in the waiting area. The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Thankfully, our insurance covered everything except the ReceptivaDX test. NW does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible. ... She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team [at Northwestern Medicine] isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely. ... She [Dr. Goldman] believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!
2019 - 2020
Dr. Goldman is amazing. She cares deeply for her patients, and really makes you feel like you are on this journey together. She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
Ask as many questions as you want, and if you don't understand something ask for clarification. Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible.
Dr. Goldman has amazing bed side manner, she always looks you in the eye, speaks to you with kindness and directness, and is always very prepared for your appointments. When I had a miscarriage, she was the one to tell me and I will never forget the kindness and compassion she showed me on that horrible day.
I had two IUIs with clomid and tigger shot, one ending in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. She got me in the very next day the day before Thanksgiving for a D&C. Then, we tried two more IUIs with Clomid and trigger shot, both ending in a negative pregnancy. We are going to start IVF as soon as the coronoavirus settles down.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kait)
Amazing!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely.
She believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!
Kara Goldman

Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The location [Northwestern Medicine] is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. ... [Nursing staff] Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything.
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Boots was welcoming from the first appointment and very comfortable, I didn't feel rushed in my decision like my two previous doctors, she was very compassionate and made my husband feel included also. My husband has mentioned that he feels very happy with her and feels like we can come out with a baby of our own at the end of our journey. Dr. Boots suggest numerous options and explained every single step and recommended us for grants and she also is great at following up. For a military family always getting stationed in different places, I highly recommend Dr. Boots so far throughout our journey. I'll even go as far as after we have our child and in a few year if we are stationed somewhere else, we will come back to her as she is the most efficient and professional doctor we had so far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I would tell my friends or anybody looking to start a family with help that you will feel welcomed and don't worry about being rushed with your appointment like most doctors will. She will explain everything even draw out diagrams to help further explain various examples and/or situations. She looks at all angles and will assist you in coming up with a plan. As a military family, we appreciate her so much as our schedule is never routine. She will work around your schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She took her time in explaining the process and tests that we would have to do. Dr. Boots was very compassionate and heard and answered every question we had. She didn't rush us and took her time.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Boots first went through our situation, took time to understand our story, as we seen clinics in Guam and San Diego with no success, then she explained and present diagrams of all options, after getting an HSG test and a sonohysterogram, I was diagnosed with tube blockage and will have surgery to get my tube removed and with that Dr. Boots explained IVF will be one of the only options left. So she explained the procedure and set us up with a financial counselor to explain the process. Within, our first two visits we had a game plan with the route we were going to go without the financial plan yet. We are still waiting on the results.
Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything. All of the staff will greet you and care to you and they even remember specifics as in family members, for example, I just adopted my sister-in-law while in Guam before I transferred to my new duty station and the fact they remember and asked how she is doing is awesome and makes us feel welcomed. They always thank my husband for his service in the military and he appreciates that as well.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The location is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. I am sure they deal with some difficult patients at one time or another yet you can tell their cohesiveness helps them function as one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Since we are in the military, Tricare allows us to see her and get certain services completed but does not cover IVF or IUI so she recommended various grants and yet the visits, bloodwork, and other procedures were covered by insurance.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots explained the cost and differences between the single and multiple embryo process. She went step by step and explained the different processes.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

3 IUI, 6 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Jain is more than happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions. It’s difficult to see Dr.Jain outside of the scheduled consultations given the size of the clinic...is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything...One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor...Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks...Monitoring appointments were quick and easy! Results and any changes to protocol were provided later in the day via secure email.
Investor
3 IUI, 6 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Jain is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything. That being said, it is my understanding that he is one of the best doctors at Northwestern and in the area in general.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor
I respond very well to the meds and create a lot of eggs. I am always on the lowest doses of Menopur and Follistim. My problem is that I don’t produce high quality embryos so after three rounds we only produced two PGS tested Day 6 embryos. One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana Sullivan )
Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks. She also is happy to celebrate any small victories with me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is one of the best in the area but is very large and any appointments are scheduled far in advance. Also expect to see a different doctor for each medical appointment. The nurses are the patients main points of contact.
We’re luck that insurance covers the medical procedures associated with IVF. We have to pay out of pocket for medications (approximately $7k) and genetic testing (approximately $3k) per round of IVF.
I’m happy to do eSETs but understand that transferring two Day 3 embryos, given my history of poor quality embryos, was the right choice.

2020
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles...I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time...She seemed very intelligent and professional. I liked her personality and bedside manner. She was very nice. However, they definitely don't prioritize IUI patients which I get. But the whole experience with 2 IUI cycles, I just felt like I was ushered through. I thought I wouldn't be someone who needed my hand held through the process, but left feeling like their process was cold and impersonal.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I did not respond...so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
2020
The clinic is busy, you probably won't talk to her more than once or twice. She is smart and I am sure she's a great doctor. It didn't work out for me. I decided I needed a smaller clinic with a more personal experience.
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles. They always emailed updates and results, did not call. I don't feel like I got to know any staff and they certainly didn't get to know me. I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time.
I had 2 IUI cycles with Letrozole.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a big clinic with a lot of patients. Impersonal experience with my IUI cycles, but im sure they put more into IVF patients. Very updated, nice facilities. I switched clinics to start IVF, because it would have been a 3 to 5 month wait with a lot of hurdles. I felt like I had to do a ton of administrative work to move things along. I decided I wanted to go with a smaller clinic with a more personal experience. I have already had my egg retrieval with the new clinic before Northwestern would have even been about to get me in for a consult and start booking the pre-ivf appointments
I was upset with my 2nd IUI. I did not respond to the low dose of leyrozile, so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately...For our second cycle, I went on a low carb diet for 3 months prior to stimming. I also started taking 600mg CoQ10 daily. My husband had a TESE procedure so that we could use sperm with less DNA fragmentation and stress to fertilize our eggs. I also added in HGH... I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news...Costs are on par with national averages
While I do like Dr. Feinberg a lot, I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
Be prepared to not see her during treatment. Though if you ask for an email to be forwarded directly to her, she responds promptly.
Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire S.)
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: part of top rated hospital; all doctors we have worked with have seemed very knowledgeable in the field Weaknesses: Because this is such a coveted clinic, however, you do sometimes feel like a number - especially during early morning monitoring appointments.
If you live a little further away from the clinic in the city there are satellite clinics in the suburbs that take appointments for monitoring.
Costs are on par with national averages
Dr. Fienberg specifically told me not to start taking DHEA and during the end of my first cycle (with my first nurse) I had asked if there were any additional supplements I could be taking and my nurse told me to start taking DHEA and if I had not questioned the conflicting information I may have ruined my cycle.

3 IUI, IVF
I think he [Dr. Robins] was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
Location was a little rough. Middle of Chicago and traffic. Parking wasn’t ideal. Parking garage and you had to pay each visit. It was prorated though. The clinic was also nice that you could discuss needs with the receptionist and not have the whole office hear. Plenty of receptionists and all know where to transfer you for any of your needs or questions.
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think he was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. Ask about all treatment options. Ask specifically about your situation and the treatments available. What the statistics are for your age and different treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think they have the process down like clockwork. But I think they didn’t spend enough time on the statistics with me on conceiving at my age. Once I said what procedures I was thinking, there wasn’t any additional information given which would have been helpful at my age.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
He used clomid for my IUI. I was told I respond very well to fertility drugs. Although I wasn’t sure what results they were looking at that made that determination.
Very professional. Had the whole process down like clockwork. Nothing I would change except for maybe a personal call every once in a while. Everything is automated.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Cost was covered by insurance except for copay.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They strongly supported eSET.
Jared Robins
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

IUI, 1 IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I do think when I came to him [Dr. Jain] expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
I just wish I understood more about how these day 6 embryos with good "grades" widdled down to ZERO healthy ones? ... They [nurses at Northwestern Medicine] were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
European, Other
IUI, 1 IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I do think when I came to him expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
Maybe get a second opinion before going with him if you have any concerns like I did.
I felt like a human because Dr. Jain was really empathetic when hearing I had experienced a stillbirth at 39 weeks when I was 37 years old, as well that surrounding that stillbirth both before and after I had experienced miscarriages. This said, he gave me a lot of hope that my own eggs at 40 were still healthy and that we'd be successful and we left totally gutted when 2 of our embryos were sent off to genetic testing and neither were healthy. He called and I could feel he was actually sad for us, and wanted to help. He asked if we wanted to try again and at that point since insurance didn't cover any of what I did, our credit cards were maxed and we left drained.
stimulation medication,(Gonal -F or Follistim) 225 units & Menopur 75 units tand every night within approximately one hour of your chosen time. Ganirelix/Cetrotide was weaved in at somepoint.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana and Alexandra )
They were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths are communication, I was never in the dark about my test results, my follicle count, my numbers, etc. I think they were very communicative. That said I wish because I was honest that we were going out of pocket and we've been through 4 heartbreaks already they would have fast tracked me to egg donor or embryo adoption. It made me think they wanted me to be there for a couple of rounds and tries and we just couldnt because we didnt have the money.
$10,000 down payment for 1 cycle this was not including meds, and certain labs like the genetic labs for my husband and myself and then the genetic testing on the embryos was also separate. All in we spent $20,000
Chicago

[Dr. Christina Boots] Recommended single [embry transfer] due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me..I had a really personal experience...I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!...We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
My primary nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine...Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick...Beautiful clinic. Amazing location. Pretty efficient morning monitoring hours and convenient hours. Your doctor may not always be the one doing your procedures and it’s good to know that ahead of time. They will try, though!
Dr. Boots was so wonderful. She made me feel comfortable from the beginning. She answered all my questions, even when I came with long typed out lists. She was compassionate even when I was kist starting out and only doing the ovulation induction meds. I always felt like she cared about me, at each stage. She walked me through every step of the process every time I met with her and explained things until I felt comfortable. My body threw us a lot of curveballs and she had multiple ideas and solutions every time. We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared to your appointments! Don’t be afraid to keep asking about something if you don’t understand it. Even if you read about something online or heard about it from a friend, she will help explain and never makes you feel silly for asking.
I had a really personal experience with Dr. Boots. I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!
Letrozole & Clomid for timed intercourse/IUI. GonalF Menopur Ganirelix Omnitrope Estrogen Progesterone Lovenox for IVF. For frozen embryo transfers, we tried estrogen pills, then patches and then injections and on our last round we stimmed my ovaries with GonalF and Menopur to create my own estrogen and mimic a fresh cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel & Alex)
My primary nurses were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient machine, first come first serve. Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick.
Insurance covered.
Recommended single due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me. She supported my decision completely. We ended up going with two.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me. ... Dr. Kim is very no nonsense. She's doesn't come off as the most compassionate person, but she knows her stuff. She's very black and white. I appreciate it because I don't need someone to sugar coat things, but other people may not appreciate her abrupt style.
As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they [Northwestern Medicine] really get you in and out as quickly as possible. ... The receptionists are always really friendly. ... They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant. ... The nurses are GREAT!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She's going to tell you like it is, whether you want to hear it or not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern in general sees a lot of patients, so it feel like a lot of the time you're one of many. But each time I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I've done 2 IUIs with Dr. Kim. Both were 100 mg of Clomid with monitoring and Ovidrel trigger shot. My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment, and since I'm older, with unexplained fertility, she advised 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I've only had the consult for IVF with her to date.
The nurses are GREAT! They are the ones you communicate with the most, so they are really responsive and easy to talk to and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern sees a lot of patients. A lot of people will mention the "cattle call" feel of it. I didn't feel that way. As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they really get you in and out as quickly as possible. The waits aren't long at all, even on the weekends. And that they do that 7 days a week. The receptionists are always really friendly. The clinic itself is good.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance doesn't cover anything, so it's all out of pocket. They will bill insurance, but most is not covered. IUIs are $700. The self-pay for IVF is $10,000, which doesn't include meds and PGS testing. They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In my consult, she's told me about multiple transfer vs. single and has told me the risks and the odds, based on my age.
I self-pay and no one told me that I had to pay for the IUI up front. It's not an insignificant amount of money and to be told that as you're getting ready for the procedure was jarring. I wish they would be more upfront with those kinds of things. I also had lost paperwork on one monitoring ultrasound and ended up waiting a lot longer than normal. But once I spoke up, I was taken right back and told if it ever happens again in the future, to speak up sooner.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

I did not see Dr Jain too often, just twice. Once for initial fertility consult when be advised us his plan for IUI before IVF. We met again for an IVF consultation.i thought he was quite thorough and provided hope for our case ... We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. ... I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Good online portal [at Northwestern Medicine] for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month
Most likely will be interacting with the nurses more
The receptionist, nurses, and Dr Jain knew my name and were friendly. They took their time to answer all my questions
We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. Once my cycle started I would come in for a baseline ultrasound to check if there were any cysts or abnormalities. If all was cleared, I would take clomid for 5 days and come back for a mid cycle ultrasound to get blood work done. If estrogen levels and follicle size were mature, I would be instructed to do an ovidrel shot before coming into doing an IUI cycle. I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: alexa)
I saw multiple nurses for baseline ultrasound, mid cycle ultrasound, blood draws, and IUI procedures, however, nurse Alexa was the main communicator. I did not encounter anyone I felt uncomfortable with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good online portal for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month.
With insurance, each IUI cycle was about $600. Ovidrel injection is $92 each x 5 attempts. IVF meds were $2,000 after insurance. The IVF procedure would cost about $5,000.
None
Chicago

Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. ... It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. ... I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. ... My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question. ... Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process.
Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. She made my husband and I feel very at ease during each of our meetings and explained things in terms that we could both understand. I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Do your research before seeking consultation so you can have an educated conversation with the doctor. She does a good thing of explaining things, but you'll be in a better position to understand them and grapple with any emotional what ifs prior to the meeting if you are your own advocate. She will help you along the way.
Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. We did labs that day and an ultrasound that confirmed her suspicion that I have PCOS. She gave me a good understanding that we would have to do some preliminary tests before we started a treatment course. The doctor was present in my HSG and lent words of affirmation via mychart during monitored cycles with timed intercourse. I am still in this method of treatment and may advance to IUI if we don't have luck this month. She is approachable and hopeful in her approach. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernardi.
It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. I had no issues with that so the suggested method of treatment was to recruit follicles with Femara and trigger with Ovidrel while doing monitored cycles. I am currently on my third month in a two week wait. This protocol is managed by a nurse through the mychart system to set up early morning monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process. It could seem to one, that it's a baby factory due to the location in downtown Chicago - they are very busy - but they are what I believe to be, the best.
After insurance, I have minimal costs for my monitored cycles with letrozole and ovirdrel. However, if I decide to do an IUI, that would be approximately $720 out of pocket for the procedure itself. IVF is uncovered by my insurance and costs $10,000 per round made by check.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not Applicable to me
Chicago

I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. ... Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. ... He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends.
My only real complaint is that they [Northwestern Medicine] continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. ... All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. I was a bit disappointed that he did not seem to review the very lengthy intake paperwork I had to complete before my first appointment. Not sure why patients are made to complete it if it will not be reviewed by their doctor.
Make sure you know your goals and what you would like your treatment to look like. He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends. Be prepared with questions as he does not volunteer much information unless you bring it up.
I had two appointments with Dr. Jain, my initial consultation and a follow up to set my treatment plan based on test results. My in person meetings with Dr. Jain have been great. He is very personable. Since my 2nd visit, I have only had contact with the nursing staff and have not had any communication with Dr. Jain. I assume I could request appointments with him, but since I am paying out of pocket for my treatment and each visit with him is $400+, I am content to give a few more IUIs a try before discussing next steps.
I have no known fertility problems, other than those common for a women in her mid 30s. I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. He recommended medicated IUIs (low doses of Clomid/Letrozole at same time and Ovidrel trigger shot to time the IUI better). I asked to skip the Clomid initially due to my concerns about the side effects, but we did add it back into my treatment plan for IUI #3. My first two IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests and I am currently in the TWW for IUI #3. I was a bit disappointed to find out he had me trigger with my first IUI when my follicle was quite small still (18mm) and my lining was very thin as it felt like we probably had the timing off for that one. Since then, I've been more proactive in my care and have pushed back when I felt the timing wasn't right.
I've worked with several different nurses on Dr. Jain's team. Some have been great, taking time to get to know the details of why I am seeking treatment and being very responsive to any questions I had (all questions are communicated through MyChart messaging system). One of the nurses was much slower to respond (it seemed like she would wait until the end of the day to review/respond to messages) or would forget to upload my labs to the patient portal unless I sent a request for the results. She also always included language about my partner in her communications, even though she would know I was seeking treatment on my own if she took the time to review my records. All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only real complaint is that they continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. The clinic space is very nice, with views out to Lake Michigan and beverages and snacks available, if needed. They have a main waiting area and a smaller waiting area for those who are having procedures that day. The smaller waiting area can be a bit cramped and could do with some additional seating. I also think it is kind of odd that the embryology lab never shows me the donor sperm vials. I write down the number of the donor on a form when I arrive and then just have to trust that that is the vial they are thawing. I would feel more comfortable if I saw the actual vial at the time they being the thaw.
The clinic costs for each IUI were about $1,200 each cycle ($315/monitoring visit x 2 visits, $584 for each IUI). Medications were an additional $120 per visit, with the Ovidrel shot being available for $92 at the hospital pharmacy. My insurance did not cover any of the costs.
Chicago

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
Chicago

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.

Male Factor, PCOS, Other
So far he [Dr. Jain] is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible...I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?...Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger...1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn...
all options should be available at all locations [of Northwestern Medicine]. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown...Everyone’s hands are in the chart. With the primary location being downtown, I feel like the dictate the plan. I had nurses communicating with me that I have never met nor spoken to. All communication is computer chart based.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
So far he is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible.
Be prepared to not see a MD during your IUI. I was completely caught off guard. Be prepared to travel down town for monitoring and procedures, I was under the impression everything could be done in Oakbrook.
Dr Jain made me feel good, he explained things. However I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?
Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger. Letrozole works better with those with a history of PCOS. 1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
If you’re going to promote numerous locations... all options should be available at all locations. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown.
Last I have heard... my insurance covers 5 IUI’s and 4 IVF procedures.
1-2 with a 3 day. 1 with a 5 day.
Initially I was going to go on birth control prior to my first cycle start. Order was never called in. I was advised by the doctor himself when a procedure would take place, it took 3 days for someone to finally get back to me to say oops sorry nope. Abnormalities were noted on previous ultrasounds but proceeded with cycles regardless.

2017 - 2019
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor...is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing...I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being froze
2017 - 2019
Dr. Robins is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing.
Don’t use him if you need comforting care.
The clinic is very much like a cattle call- the sheer volume of patients moving through their office each day is staggering. My care was managed by whoever was on call that day.
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor. The protocol for my first 2 retrievals was Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being frozen for PGS/PGD testing. Only had 3 transferable after testing.
90% of my contact with the nurses was through MyChart where my questions would get answered by whomever was there at the time. I could never tell if they were sharing notes. Consistency of care is a major problem. Some nurses are kind, some are helpful, some are neither.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t recommend NW to friends. I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care. They rotate around each day and it became very clear that other docs besides mine didn’t know what was going on with me. Be prepared for advocate for yourself. The on-call doc for my first retrieval mistakenly did not adjust my meds down correctly so I got overstimulated. And for my final retrieval, another doctor prescribed Ovidrel trigger even though I was close to overstimulating again. This was resolved by me getting in the middle of my doctor and the other doctor on call to advocate for myself. Their financial counselors are kind of terrible- pay very close attention to your bills because they make mistakes on their billing. And they are a zero balance clinic so prepare yourself for ultimatums coming from nurses before being able to proceed with protocols.
Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call.
have insurance coverage for some of it but paid $40 copay per visit (these REALLY add up), $895 per retrieval for cryopreservation, plus my coinsurance costs. Total of about $4,500 for 3 retrievals and 2 transfers spanning 2 calendar years. Not counting parking costs!
They wouldn’t transfer more than one.
Communication breakdowns are a regular occurrence. Also had a couple snafus between the nurses and front desk/appointment booking.
Jared Robins

14 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Eve Feinberg] personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way...is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process...is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process
nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff [at Northwestern Medicine] were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind...When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening...I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me...Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings.
14 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Feinberg is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process
You will be in great hands!
Dr. Eve Feinberg is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process. I cannot remember all of the names of those who touched my care, but nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind. Dr. Feinberg personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way. When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and Kelsey and Dr. Lawson, Dr Pavon)
Very kind and communicative daily about next steps
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings. Amazing view of the city and an environment that put you at ease through very nerve wrecking appointments. Free coffee and snakcks Very friendly receptionists. I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me. The nurses were kind and explained every step and would always call me back quickly if I had a medication question. My Egg freezing went very smoothly and I had excellent and things went exactly as my primary doctor and nurses said that it would.
First come first serve. If you got there super early it was in and out and a little longer but after a few visits I knew what to expect!
$5800 out of pocket for fees and meds that my insurance did not cover
Chicago

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.