Genetic counseling: Offered
Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

7.1

PCOS, Other
When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he [Dr. Jain] remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. ... Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him.
The office [Northwestern Med] has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has always been supportive of my interest in trying supplementary treatment outside of just the RE world (i.e. supplements, Naturopath, acupuncture). He has been very flexible with doing things on our timeline and not his or the clinics. He has given us his honest medical opinion for treatment based on our clinical presentation. I have never felt like he was forcing us into doing certain treatments (i.e. going right to IVF after my miscarriage). He has been clear and direct with us and explained all the medical language he was using. One issue I had was when I was 3 days after my D&C when I was in significant pain due to additional clots passing. Another doctor in the clinic performed my surgery so she was the one who I saw when I went into the clinic to figure out what was going on. After, it all subsided and i passed all the tissue I heard from my nurse who I work with but I did not hear from Dr. Jain himself about the issues after my surgery.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Come in with questions. If you do your research before you will be able to get even more out of your appointment than you have to begin with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jain has very personable with my husband and I since our first appointment. When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. He has been very kind and compassionate since the first time we met him. I never felt like he was rushing us through our appointments with him. He was very patient with us. Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him. I have felt like he completely understands this is more than just a typical medical issue that you would see your primary doctor for. He understands that infertility is more than just physical issue in the body and it is almost highly emotional and mental.
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have done 6 IUI's up to this date. Dr. Jain's rationale for performing IUI's was because my main issue with irregular cycles due to mild PCOS. I had no other abnormal test results that indicated a more severe treatment was needed (i.e. IVF). He also had me immediately start taking 25 mcg of Synthroid to balance out my thyroid. For the IUI's, I took 5 mg of letrozole and then used the ovidrel trigger shot for each cycle. On the second IUI, my uterine lining wasn't thickening as it should have been so they put me on 10 mg of Estradiol. This was the cycle I got pregnant! I had an early miscarriage for unknown cause (genetic test showed the baby was chromosomal normal). For the following 3 IUI's, Dr. Jain had me taking 20 mg progesterone suppositories following the IUI to help assist with implantation. Throughout this process I have had to increase my Synthroid dose. After my 5th IUI (4th failed), we decided to take a break from treatments and see a Naturopath doctor. After a few months of diet change and additional testing/treatments suggested by the Naturopath we returned to Dr. Jain to discuss next treatment options. He went talked us through what IVF would look like and the pros and cons for our situation. He also talked about the pros and cons of continuing with IUI's. He was very supportive and willing to continue with IUI's because we had success. After that appointment, we decided to try more IUI's. We had our 6th IUI in March 2020 with the same treatment protocol listed above. We had set a plan with Dr. Jain for what we would do different if I got a positive pregnancy test. This included taking blood thinners to help maintain the pregnancy. Unfortunately, I did not get pregnant from that cycle. We are currently in a holding pattern right now due to COVID-19 and have not been able to start another IUI. Our plan is to try two more IUI's and see if either is successful before discussing other options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
My nurse Joyce has been amazing. She has been an amazing communicator since the first day I met her. She will quickly return my messages through the online chart or phone call. When I was in significant pain following my D&C she was the one who got in me into the clinic to see the doctor who performed my surgery. She has been so kind and compassionate with me as well. She is the one who called me to tell me the results of the genetic test of my baby following my miscarriage. She was the one who told me the baby I lost was a boy. I could hear the sadness in her voice as she told me all this. I did not feel like she was just making another call with results to the patients. I would also like to state that all the nurses who performed my IUI's have been amazing during the procedures. They have been completely understanding of what is going on with us. They are extremely knowledgeable. When I first decided to do IUI's I thought it would be the doctor doing them. But when I found out it was the nurses I was a little hesitant because I didn't know what the norm was in a large clinic. After my first experience with the nurse performing my IUI I no longer was unsure. They have been so professional and competent and great cheerleaders every time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
A weakness of my clinic is the size. The office has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance did not cover any procedures. It is $709 per IUI. My Ovidrel injections cost $92. We paid co-pays per our insurance for all other appointments.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
During the process of my first IUI the doctor reading my mid-cycle ultrasound and bloodwork told me I had likely ovulated already and potentially missed the chance to do the IUI. This was NOT my doctor. This was a doctor different from Dr. Jain. When we finally spoke with Dr. Jain corrected that doctor and told me I had not ovulated and we had not missed our chance for the IUI. Again, the issue was with another doctor in the clinic and also not Dr. Jain. This was unfortunately the doctor who told me I had miscarried. At that time, I did not feel like she had given us a lot of compassion or had a lot of emotion for what we were going through.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

Dr. Jain listened to our concerns from our previous two IVF cycles and adjusted our protocol to help achieve our desired results (i.e. no OHSS) for our third cycle.... After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs.
I would definitely recommend the Northwestern Fertility Clinic. Given that they’re part of the Northwestern network of hospitals, it gives me faith that I am working with top notch care givers in a top notch institution. The appointments are usually very well run and efficient. The only drawback is that since they’re such a large clinic, there is little room for flexibility. If you are unable to make it to a monitoring appointment betweem the ascribed times, you will have to wait until the next day.
Investor
We were initially introduced to Dr. Jain during our third embryo transfer. He was kind and careful during that procedure. I ended up becoming pregnant but lost the baby nine weeks later. As an aside, it turns out that the baby had a severe case of down syndrome. In between the embryo transfer and our miscarriage, our doctor had retired and it was recommended that we meet with Dr. Jain for our follow-up appointment. Despite being a large clinic, Dr. Jain remembered performing our embryo transfer and gave his condolences several times given that we lost the baby from that transfer. We decided to move forward with Dr. Jain for our third, and hopefully last, IVF cycle. We just had our egg retrieval two day’s ago, but so far Dr. Jain has been extremely sympathetic to our situation, needs and wishes and has done whatever was in his ability to set us up for a good outcome. Most importantly, he listens to what we have to say.
I would tell a perspective patient that they most likely won’t see Dr. Jain often but know that he is working behind the scenes and will monitor your case and implement your wishes however he can. So please speak up. Dr. Jain is there to listen and craft a plan with your assistance.
I am prone to OHSS. After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs. He put me on 75 units of Menopur and 125 units of Follistim. After five days, he reduced my Follistim dose to 100 units and we discontinued my stims after 8 days. The doctor who performed my egg retrieval, Dr. Boots, ended up getting 16 eggs of which 11 fertilized. We are much happier with this modest amount.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana M. Sullivan, RN)
My primary nurse, Dana Sullivan, RN, could not be a better caregiver. I have work with three different REs (the first two retired) and she has been my one constant. Dana is kind and companionate and the one that I’ve talked to when I had a positive beta and a negative beta. She also sought me out at the clinic after my miscarriage to give her condolences. She is great at what she does.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic down monitoring within a two hour window each morning during the early hours (6:45 to 7:45, I believe). While this doesn’t always jive with our schedule, especially with a little one at home that needs to be dropped off at daycare, once we get to the clinic, monitoring appointments usually run very smoothly. I am usually in and out within twenty minutes.
We are lucky in that our insurance covers the procedures related to IVF. We only have to pay for medications and genetic testing. That being said, we asked Dr. Jain to send in the request for medications in December even though we weren’t doing IVF until February because we had already spent our deductible in 2018 and the medications would be free (we’ll take our small wins where we can). Dr. Jain complied but failed to order enough Follistim to cover a minimum of 8 days. What we had only covered 7 days. We had to purchase more Follistim in February because we were 75 units short and it cost us $1.5k. We will also have to pay for genetic testing, which will likely cost around $5k.
The fertility clinic as a whole has a very strict one embryo transfer policy. I’m not sure what circumstances would make the doctors change this protocol. Perhaps if the patient is over 40 and did not test their embryos they would be more willing to transfer more than one.
I have had the clinic fail to order the right dose of stim medications causing me to spend an addition $1.5k for just a one day dose (100 units) of Follistim. The clinic has also failed on more than one occasion to refill my Synthroid prescription despite my requests and they have sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy. That being said, these are minor errors in the grand scheme of things. They have never made a critical error.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Eve [Feinberg] truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. ... I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through.
I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments. ... I felt the nurses were top notch and extremely knowledgeable. I communicated with them almost daily through the patient portal and their responses were always warm and timely.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Eve truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. Eve went through my records from my previous clinic thoroughly and found numerous errors they made in medication dosing, which she guessed was having an adverse affect on the quality of our embryos. She adjusted my medications and carefully monitored me during the stimulation cycle, and after a failed first cycle adjusted further. She called me herself to let me know that that first cycle would probably not result in pregnancy and I appreciated her honesty. She said we would do things differently the next cycle. She got it right. We were successful on our second round after a short three months of active treatment, versus a year and half at my previous clinic. The only regret I have in all of this is not going to her in the first place.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions and voice any concerns you have - she will listen to you. Call today because she books up months in advance!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Eve Feinberg was the third RE I saw during my two year battle with infertility. I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through. She called me multiple times throughout my treatment and was always accessible via phone or email - much more than any other doctor I worked with during treatment. She also called me personally with positive pregnancy test results and was reassuring in my concerns of another miscarriage. Eve went through IVF herself, and I found her extremely relatable and sympathetic to the entire process. For those saying that they never saw her and worked mostly with the nurses, that is how all fertility clinics are set up, so you need to expect that no matter where you are being treated. Ultimately, she is the one overseeing your care and treating you, but only expect to see your actual doctor a few times during your treatment. That's pretty standard.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
After three miscarriages, Eve suggested an estrogen priming cycle before my first egg retrieval with her to increase the number of egg-containing follicles. She also lowered my injectable medication doses after seeing that they wreaked havoc on my embryos at my previous clinic. In addition, she added in human growth hormone to improve egg quality. That cycle did not work, but we started the next cycle immediately following my period instead of waiting an entire month to start again (like my previous doctor did). She suspected the dosing she had me on was not enough. She then increased the doses on my injectables and kept the growth hormone protocol. I produced 10 eggs that round, which is the most I had ever had. She also put me on an immune protocol after my embryos were transferred to suppress my system in case it was attacking the pregnancies. She put me on prednisone, Pepcid AC, Claritin, and baby aspirin. It seemed to do the trick because I became pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Fertility clinics are all very similar, and it helps to know this going in. Yes, the monitoring appointments feel like a cattle call, and yes, sometimes you need to wait to be seen. This is par for the course. I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't know offhand but my insurance covers most of my treatment. Our costs were minimal compared to most people, and the most we paid besides medication costs was the fee to freeze and store our leftover embryos which is $1200.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I know Eve feels strongly that eSET is the way to go in younger patients, but with my history of repeated pregnancy loss she agreed that transferring two embryos would yield the best results (despite the risks that come with a multiple pregnancy). That being said, she really takes into account your personal situation to make decisions like that.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Pavone is a very professional women. She spent time with me during my consult and listened to me explain my history and gave my husband and I a plan. She was knowledgeable and polite but was not warm and fuzzy. I only met her once, so I can’t really say how my experience as her patient was since I only spent one hour of my 6 month treatment course with her. I would ask questions through my nurses to her and they would be the communicators of her information. Other than the initial visit, I never felt like my condition (PCOS) was explained to me. I didn’t know why I was ovulating each month, had normal labs, responded to the medication, but wasn’t getting pregnant. No one took the time to explain that to me and when I asked they’d say “the body just sometimes doesn’t take.” Which is fine, but why?! What happens to my eggs in particular? During my IUIs I asked for a change in the planned course of medication dosage and I got shut down. Meanwhile, midcycle, I wasn’t responding to my letrozole and they decided on cycle day 20 to increase my dose and restart the whole process (just like I had suggested on cycle day 1). I feel that if Dr. Pavone saw me in the office as she walked by, she wouldn’t even know if I was her patient. Again, I didn’t have an in-depth treatment course with her- I wasn’t to the point of IVF so maybe I just wasn’t a serious enough case to be seen by a doctor, but I just felt slightly ignored and neglected and I don’t think any patient would like to feel that way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be your own advocate and fight for yourself and your body. Ask for meetings and speak up with lots of questions. if your plan isn’t working, don’t just keep going along with it without knowing why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Pavone for my initial consultation. She performed an US and blood work, and diagnosed me with PCOS based on the results. She told me at our initial meeting that she treats PCOS with 3 rounds of medicated timed intercourse and 3 rounds of medicated IUI. I never saw her again to discuss why the process may not be working or even to change my medication dosage. I felt like it was just a standard “ok you have PCOS this is the plan” but not necessarily a plan for me and my body. Also, The office felt very sterile. When you came in for a morning appointment, women were corralled in the hallway waiting to check in- and a women behind a computer shouted “NEXT” and then when you approached the desk she just said “NAME.” Felt very “DMV”- like. Also, each time I came in for an US , the nurse or technician wouldn’t remember why I was there- even though it should be on my chart. They would say things like “is this an US before IVF?” When it would just be my mid cycle scan.
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
In regards to treatment strategies, Dr. Pavone, after diagnosing me with PCOS, decided that trialing three rounds of medicated timed intercourse followed by medicated IUIs would suite my diagnosis well. None of them were successful and we did not change the course for any of the cycles even though I asked to change medication dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: It was a primary nursing team- Anitra, Syrena, and a few others whom I didnt work with frequently.)
I really enjoyed having a primary nursing team, I felt that it helped narrow down the amount of people I was communicating with. They were very responsive to my emails and I talked to them 99% of the time over my Physician. Anitra was especially compassionate and I felt like she advocated for my care.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: they’re apart of a major hospital working on the forefront of medicine. The team of doctors and nurses are very intelligent and worked hard to get a job at the office. Labwork, US, retrieval’s, etc are all performed on location. The communication via MyChart is very easy to use and they respond to your questions within 24 hours. The office waiting room sometimes has snacks available for the patients. Weaknesses: overalll feeling of being “just a number”. Long wait times/ unorganized format for drawing bloodwork & US, unfriendly front desk staff, and felt like a very “sterile” environment. It was also very hard for me to get ahold of medical records that I needed when I transferred doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My care was 100% covered since my insurance it with the same hospital.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Non applicable.
At the end of our 6 IUI/medicated rounds, we decided we were unhappy overall with the care provided from northwestern and decided to switch facilities. When I contacted northwestern about obtaining results from certain procedures or labs, they gave me a hard time. Sent me to medical records who in turn said they didn’t have record of certain results and then I ultimately got sent back to the office and the nurse was able to email it to me. I was confused as to why she couldn’t do that for me in the first place instead of giving me the run around. This wasted time and created unnecessary stress on myself and my husband. Also, I needed a certain cycle to be submitted to insurance so that I could get my IVF covered. I left multiple messages with the northwestern care team asking them to submit the information to insurance and got no response for weeks. When I finally got a response, I was told my primary financial coordinator had left the practice “months ago.” While this is fine that someone leaves a job position, it is not fine that my messages were still being sent and taken but no one was responding. I don’t understand how you leave a job and don’t let your patients know who they should contact now that you’ve left. Not only was I unhappy with the care while I was there, but now they’re ruining my chances with my new clinic. I ended up going to medical records myself and making my own copies for my new facility.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2020
The Northwestern Medicine Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Clinic is great! They are knowledgeable, kind, patient, and provide hope. They have made this process less scary and eased our anxiety along the way. One drawback would be the wait time for scheduling appointments with your doctor. ... The monitoring appointments were convenient and occurred before work hours. The process was efficient and smoothly ran.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman has been amazing during our infertility journey. We met her for a consultation the day after my 40th birthday. She has been informative, comforting, and encouraging. She has been thorough in presenting us with all our options, making sure we understand next steps and available to answer questions that arise along the way. Most recently after our stimulation process did not produce the results we were hoping for, she scheduled a telehealth appointment (due to COVID-19) to check-in with us to ensure we were okay. She gives us hope that they process will eventually work!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Any prospective patient would be in great hands with Dr. Goldman. I would recommend scheduling in advance as she is often booked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman took the time to explain our options (IUI, IVF) and answered our many questions during our consultation and subsequent appointments. She has been comforting while providing us with realistic and sensitive information. She has been able to ease our anxieties during this whole process and has given us hope for a child(ren).
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We completed two IUI cycles. I was prescribed Clomid for 5 days and then an Ovidrel injection. Neither IUI cycle resulted in pregnancy. We have gone through one round of egg stimulation and retrieval thus far. We have not been able to do another cycle of stimulation nor transfer due to the COVID 19 emergency. Due to my age, I was prescribed high doses of stimulation medications to retrieve as many eggs as possible. ( Gonal F 300 units/day; Menopur 150 units/day; Ganirelix 250 mg; Ovidrel 250 mg as the trigger shot). The egg stimulation resulted in 12 eggs retrieved. 10 of the eggs fertilized and we had 4 embryos created. Due to my age, genetic testing was recommended. After the genetic testing was complete, we have 1 healthy embryo for eventual transfer.
The nursing staff are warm, compassionate, and uplifting. They have been responsive to any and all questions presented to them.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance coverage for fertility medications is a $10,000 lifetime allotment and 10% out of pocket copay. I went through this allotment very fast and the copay amount was pretty high. The Northwestern Medicine Specialty Pharmacy was willing to work with me and my insurance to maximize the most insurance coverage and less the out of pocket expense. The clinic has a $2,095 payment for embryo storage that is due before the stimulation process can begin. We spent just over $3500 for medication copays, medications, and genetic testing. Thus in total our out of pocket cost for the egg stimulation/retrieval is over $5,600. We will have to pay out of pocket for any further medication associated with the embryo transfer and if we would like to pursue another round of egg stimulation/retrieval. Unfortunately, we were informed that there is no financial assistance available for us during this process through Northwester Medicine nor EMD Serrano as we do not qualify financially :(
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Goldman recommended a single embryo transfer to ensure the likelihood of a successful, healthy pregnancy.
Kara Goldman
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. ... She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist. ... She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!) ...
NW [Northwestern Medicine] does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment. ... The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi made us feel instantly at ease. She explained things thoroughly and answered our millions of questions with kindness and expertise. She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and be your own advocate. If you have multiple losses, seek out a reputable Reproductive Immunologist to work with Dr. Bernardi. If you have unexplained infertility, insist upon the ReceptivaDX to test for the biomarker for endometriosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!)
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Bernardi did every test (except for ones related to immunology). Based on my AMH, it was determined that have diminished ovarian reserve. Therefore she did not want to over suppress my ovaries. My standard treatment for medicated cycles was: 350 Gonal F Trigger: 250 Ovidrel When that didn't produce more than 2 follicles, we tried Menopur and Estrogen priming but got poorer results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana our Nurse is like family! She is there for us at any time and we really feel that she is rooting for us. She is so quick to get back to us and is so compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a very large clinic so expect a cattle call kind of office. Sometimes there is standing room only in the waiting area. The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Thankfully, our insurance covered everything except the ReceptivaDX test. NW does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible. ... She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team [at Northwestern Medicine] isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely. ... She [Dr. Goldman] believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!
2019 - 2020
Dr. Goldman is amazing. She cares deeply for her patients, and really makes you feel like you are on this journey together. She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
Ask as many questions as you want, and if you don't understand something ask for clarification. Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible.
Dr. Goldman has amazing bed side manner, she always looks you in the eye, speaks to you with kindness and directness, and is always very prepared for your appointments. When I had a miscarriage, she was the one to tell me and I will never forget the kindness and compassion she showed me on that horrible day.
I had two IUIs with clomid and tigger shot, one ending in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. She got me in the very next day the day before Thanksgiving for a D&C. Then, we tried two more IUIs with Clomid and trigger shot, both ending in a negative pregnancy. We are going to start IVF as soon as the coronoavirus settles down.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kait)
Amazing!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely.
She believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!
Kara Goldman

2020
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The location [Northwestern Medicine] is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. ... [Nursing staff] Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything.
2020
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Boots was welcoming from the first appointment and very comfortable, I didn't feel rushed in my decision like my two previous doctors, she was very compassionate and made my husband feel included also. My husband has mentioned that he feels very happy with her and feels like we can come out with a baby of our own at the end of our journey. Dr. Boots suggest numerous options and explained every single step and recommended us for grants and she also is great at following up. For a military family always getting stationed in different places, I highly recommend Dr. Boots so far throughout our journey. I'll even go as far as after we have our child and in a few year if we are stationed somewhere else, we will come back to her as she is the most efficient and professional doctor we had so far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I would tell my friends or anybody looking to start a family with help that you will feel welcomed and don't worry about being rushed with your appointment like most doctors will. She will explain everything even draw out diagrams to help further explain various examples and/or situations. She looks at all angles and will assist you in coming up with a plan. As a military family, we appreciate her so much as our schedule is never routine. She will work around your schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She took her time in explaining the process and tests that we would have to do. Dr. Boots was very compassionate and heard and answered every question we had. She didn't rush us and took her time.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Boots first went through our situation, took time to understand our story, as we seen clinics in Guam and San Diego with no success, then she explained and present diagrams of all options, after getting an HSG test and a sonohysterogram, I was diagnosed with tube blockage and will have surgery to get my tube removed and with that Dr. Boots explained IVF will be one of the only options left. So she explained the procedure and set us up with a financial counselor to explain the process. Within, our first two visits we had a game plan with the route we were going to go without the financial plan yet. We are still waiting on the results.
Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything. All of the staff will greet you and care to you and they even remember specifics as in family members, for example, I just adopted my sister-in-law while in Guam before I transferred to my new duty station and the fact they remember and asked how she is doing is awesome and makes us feel welcomed. They always thank my husband for his service in the military and he appreciates that as well.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The location is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. I am sure they deal with some difficult patients at one time or another yet you can tell their cohesiveness helps them function as one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Since we are in the military, Tricare allows us to see her and get certain services completed but does not cover IVF or IUI so she recommended various grants and yet the visits, bloodwork, and other procedures were covered by insurance.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots explained the cost and differences between the single and multiple embryo process. She went step by step and explained the different processes.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately...For our second cycle, I went on a low carb diet for 3 months prior to stimming. I also started taking 600mg CoQ10 daily. My husband had a TESE procedure so that we could use sperm with less DNA fragmentation and stress to fertilize our eggs. I also added in HGH... I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news...Costs are on par with national averages
While I do like Dr. Feinberg a lot, I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
Be prepared to not see her during treatment. Though if you ask for an email to be forwarded directly to her, she responds promptly.
Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire S.)
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: part of top rated hospital; all doctors we have worked with have seemed very knowledgeable in the field Weaknesses: Because this is such a coveted clinic, however, you do sometimes feel like a number - especially during early morning monitoring appointments.
If you live a little further away from the clinic in the city there are satellite clinics in the suburbs that take appointments for monitoring.
Costs are on par with national averages
Dr. Fienberg specifically told me not to start taking DHEA and during the end of my first cycle (with my first nurse) I had asked if there were any additional supplements I could be taking and my nurse told me to start taking DHEA and if I had not questioned the conflicting information I may have ruined my cycle.

3 IUI, IVF
I think he [Dr. Robins] was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
Location was a little rough. Middle of Chicago and traffic. Parking wasn’t ideal. Parking garage and you had to pay each visit. It was prorated though. The clinic was also nice that you could discuss needs with the receptionist and not have the whole office hear. Plenty of receptionists and all know where to transfer you for any of your needs or questions.
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think he was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. Ask about all treatment options. Ask specifically about your situation and the treatments available. What the statistics are for your age and different treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think they have the process down like clockwork. But I think they didn’t spend enough time on the statistics with me on conceiving at my age. Once I said what procedures I was thinking, there wasn’t any additional information given which would have been helpful at my age.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
He used clomid for my IUI. I was told I respond very well to fertility drugs. Although I wasn’t sure what results they were looking at that made that determination.
Very professional. Had the whole process down like clockwork. Nothing I would change except for maybe a personal call every once in a while. Everything is automated.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Cost was covered by insurance except for copay.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They strongly supported eSET.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

IUI, 1 IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I do think when I came to him [Dr. Jain] expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
I just wish I understood more about how these day 6 embryos with good "grades" widdled down to ZERO healthy ones? ... They [nurses at Northwestern Medicine] were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
European, Other
IUI, 1 IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I do think when I came to him expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
Maybe get a second opinion before going with him if you have any concerns like I did.
I felt like a human because Dr. Jain was really empathetic when hearing I had experienced a stillbirth at 39 weeks when I was 37 years old, as well that surrounding that stillbirth both before and after I had experienced miscarriages. This said, he gave me a lot of hope that my own eggs at 40 were still healthy and that we'd be successful and we left totally gutted when 2 of our embryos were sent off to genetic testing and neither were healthy. He called and I could feel he was actually sad for us, and wanted to help. He asked if we wanted to try again and at that point since insurance didn't cover any of what I did, our credit cards were maxed and we left drained.
stimulation medication,(Gonal -F or Follistim) 225 units & Menopur 75 units tand every night within approximately one hour of your chosen time. Ganirelix/Cetrotide was weaved in at somepoint.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana and Alexandra )
They were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths are communication, I was never in the dark about my test results, my follicle count, my numbers, etc. I think they were very communicative. That said I wish because I was honest that we were going out of pocket and we've been through 4 heartbreaks already they would have fast tracked me to egg donor or embryo adoption. It made me think they wanted me to be there for a couple of rounds and tries and we just couldnt because we didnt have the money.
$10,000 down payment for 1 cycle this was not including meds, and certain labs like the genetic labs for my husband and myself and then the genetic testing on the embryos was also separate. All in we spent $20,000
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr. Christina Boots] Recommended single [embry transfer] due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me..I had a really personal experience...I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!...We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
My primary nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine...Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick...Beautiful clinic. Amazing location. Pretty efficient morning monitoring hours and convenient hours. Your doctor may not always be the one doing your procedures and it’s good to know that ahead of time. They will try, though!
Dr. Boots was so wonderful. She made me feel comfortable from the beginning. She answered all my questions, even when I came with long typed out lists. She was compassionate even when I was kist starting out and only doing the ovulation induction meds. I always felt like she cared about me, at each stage. She walked me through every step of the process every time I met with her and explained things until I felt comfortable. My body threw us a lot of curveballs and she had multiple ideas and solutions every time. We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared to your appointments! Don’t be afraid to keep asking about something if you don’t understand it. Even if you read about something online or heard about it from a friend, she will help explain and never makes you feel silly for asking.
I had a really personal experience with Dr. Boots. I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!
Letrozole & Clomid for timed intercourse/IUI. GonalF Menopur Ganirelix Omnitrope Estrogen Progesterone Lovenox for IVF. For frozen embryo transfers, we tried estrogen pills, then patches and then injections and on our last round we stimmed my ovaries with GonalF and Menopur to create my own estrogen and mimic a fresh cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel & Alex)
My primary nurses were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient machine, first come first serve. Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick.
Insurance covered.
Recommended single due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me. She supported my decision completely. We ended up going with two.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me. ... Dr. Kim is very no nonsense. She's doesn't come off as the most compassionate person, but she knows her stuff. She's very black and white. I appreciate it because I don't need someone to sugar coat things, but other people may not appreciate her abrupt style.
As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they [Northwestern Medicine] really get you in and out as quickly as possible. ... The receptionists are always really friendly. ... They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant. ... The nurses are GREAT!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She's going to tell you like it is, whether you want to hear it or not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern in general sees a lot of patients, so it feel like a lot of the time you're one of many. But each time I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I've done 2 IUIs with Dr. Kim. Both were 100 mg of Clomid with monitoring and Ovidrel trigger shot. My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment, and since I'm older, with unexplained fertility, she advised 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I've only had the consult for IVF with her to date.
The nurses are GREAT! They are the ones you communicate with the most, so they are really responsive and easy to talk to and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern sees a lot of patients. A lot of people will mention the "cattle call" feel of it. I didn't feel that way. As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they really get you in and out as quickly as possible. The waits aren't long at all, even on the weekends. And that they do that 7 days a week. The receptionists are always really friendly. The clinic itself is good.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance doesn't cover anything, so it's all out of pocket. They will bill insurance, but most is not covered. IUIs are $700. The self-pay for IVF is $10,000, which doesn't include meds and PGS testing. They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In my consult, she's told me about multiple transfer vs. single and has told me the risks and the odds, based on my age.
I self-pay and no one told me that I had to pay for the IUI up front. It's not an insignificant amount of money and to be told that as you're getting ready for the procedure was jarring. I wish they would be more upfront with those kinds of things. I also had lost paperwork on one monitoring ultrasound and ended up waiting a lot longer than normal. But once I spoke up, I was taken right back and told if it ever happens again in the future, to speak up sooner.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

I did not see Dr Jain too often, just twice. Once for initial fertility consult when be advised us his plan for IUI before IVF. We met again for an IVF consultation.i thought he was quite thorough and provided hope for our case ... We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. ... I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Good online portal [at Northwestern Medicine] for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month
Most likely will be interacting with the nurses more
The receptionist, nurses, and Dr Jain knew my name and were friendly. They took their time to answer all my questions
We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. Once my cycle started I would come in for a baseline ultrasound to check if there were any cysts or abnormalities. If all was cleared, I would take clomid for 5 days and come back for a mid cycle ultrasound to get blood work done. If estrogen levels and follicle size were mature, I would be instructed to do an ovidrel shot before coming into doing an IUI cycle. I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: alexa)
I saw multiple nurses for baseline ultrasound, mid cycle ultrasound, blood draws, and IUI procedures, however, nurse Alexa was the main communicator. I did not encounter anyone I felt uncomfortable with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good online portal for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month.
With insurance, each IUI cycle was about $600. Ovidrel injection is $92 each x 5 attempts. IVF meds were $2,000 after insurance. The IVF procedure would cost about $5,000.
None
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. ... It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. ... I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. ... My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question. ... Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process.
Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. She made my husband and I feel very at ease during each of our meetings and explained things in terms that we could both understand. I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Do your research before seeking consultation so you can have an educated conversation with the doctor. She does a good thing of explaining things, but you'll be in a better position to understand them and grapple with any emotional what ifs prior to the meeting if you are your own advocate. She will help you along the way.
Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. We did labs that day and an ultrasound that confirmed her suspicion that I have PCOS. She gave me a good understanding that we would have to do some preliminary tests before we started a treatment course. The doctor was present in my HSG and lent words of affirmation via mychart during monitored cycles with timed intercourse. I am still in this method of treatment and may advance to IUI if we don't have luck this month. She is approachable and hopeful in her approach. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernardi.
It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. I had no issues with that so the suggested method of treatment was to recruit follicles with Femara and trigger with Ovidrel while doing monitored cycles. I am currently on my third month in a two week wait. This protocol is managed by a nurse through the mychart system to set up early morning monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process. It could seem to one, that it's a baby factory due to the location in downtown Chicago - they are very busy - but they are what I believe to be, the best.
After insurance, I have minimal costs for my monitored cycles with letrozole and ovirdrel. However, if I decide to do an IUI, that would be approximately $720 out of pocket for the procedure itself. IVF is uncovered by my insurance and costs $10,000 per round made by check.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not Applicable to me
+ Read more- Read less

I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. ... Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. ... He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends.
My only real complaint is that they [Northwestern Medicine] continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. ... All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. I was a bit disappointed that he did not seem to review the very lengthy intake paperwork I had to complete before my first appointment. Not sure why patients are made to complete it if it will not be reviewed by their doctor.
Make sure you know your goals and what you would like your treatment to look like. He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends. Be prepared with questions as he does not volunteer much information unless you bring it up.
I had two appointments with Dr. Jain, my initial consultation and a follow up to set my treatment plan based on test results. My in person meetings with Dr. Jain have been great. He is very personable. Since my 2nd visit, I have only had contact with the nursing staff and have not had any communication with Dr. Jain. I assume I could request appointments with him, but since I am paying out of pocket for my treatment and each visit with him is $400+, I am content to give a few more IUIs a try before discussing next steps.
I have no known fertility problems, other than those common for a women in her mid 30s. I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. He recommended medicated IUIs (low doses of Clomid/Letrozole at same time and Ovidrel trigger shot to time the IUI better). I asked to skip the Clomid initially due to my concerns about the side effects, but we did add it back into my treatment plan for IUI #3. My first two IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests and I am currently in the TWW for IUI #3. I was a bit disappointed to find out he had me trigger with my first IUI when my follicle was quite small still (18mm) and my lining was very thin as it felt like we probably had the timing off for that one. Since then, I've been more proactive in my care and have pushed back when I felt the timing wasn't right.
I've worked with several different nurses on Dr. Jain's team. Some have been great, taking time to get to know the details of why I am seeking treatment and being very responsive to any questions I had (all questions are communicated through MyChart messaging system). One of the nurses was much slower to respond (it seemed like she would wait until the end of the day to review/respond to messages) or would forget to upload my labs to the patient portal unless I sent a request for the results. She also always included language about my partner in her communications, even though she would know I was seeking treatment on my own if she took the time to review my records. All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only real complaint is that they continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. The clinic space is very nice, with views out to Lake Michigan and beverages and snacks available, if needed. They have a main waiting area and a smaller waiting area for those who are having procedures that day. The smaller waiting area can be a bit cramped and could do with some additional seating. I also think it is kind of odd that the embryology lab never shows me the donor sperm vials. I write down the number of the donor on a form when I arrive and then just have to trust that that is the vial they are thawing. I would feel more comfortable if I saw the actual vial at the time they being the thaw.
The clinic costs for each IUI were about $1,200 each cycle ($315/monitoring visit x 2 visits, $584 for each IUI). Medications were an additional $120 per visit, with the Ovidrel shot being available for $92 at the hospital pharmacy. My insurance did not cover any of the costs.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.

Male Factor, PCOS, Other
So far he [Dr. Jain] is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible...I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?...Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger...1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn...
all options should be available at all locations [of Northwestern Medicine]. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown...Everyone’s hands are in the chart. With the primary location being downtown, I feel like the dictate the plan. I had nurses communicating with me that I have never met nor spoken to. All communication is computer chart based.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
So far he is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible.
Be prepared to not see a MD during your IUI. I was completely caught off guard. Be prepared to travel down town for monitoring and procedures, I was under the impression everything could be done in Oakbrook.
Dr Jain made me feel good, he explained things. However I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?
Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger. Letrozole works better with those with a history of PCOS. 1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
If you’re going to promote numerous locations... all options should be available at all locations. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown.
Last I have heard... my insurance covers 5 IUI’s and 4 IVF procedures.
1-2 with a 3 day. 1 with a 5 day.
Initially I was going to go on birth control prior to my first cycle start. Order was never called in. I was advised by the doctor himself when a procedure would take place, it took 3 days for someone to finally get back to me to say oops sorry nope. Abnormalities were noted on previous ultrasounds but proceeded with cycles regardless.

2017 - 2019
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor...is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing...I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being froze
2017 - 2019
Dr. Robins is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing.
Don’t use him if you need comforting care.
The clinic is very much like a cattle call- the sheer volume of patients moving through their office each day is staggering. My care was managed by whoever was on call that day.
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor. The protocol for my first 2 retrievals was Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being frozen for PGS/PGD testing. Only had 3 transferable after testing.
90% of my contact with the nurses was through MyChart where my questions would get answered by whomever was there at the time. I could never tell if they were sharing notes. Consistency of care is a major problem. Some nurses are kind, some are helpful, some are neither.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t recommend NW to friends. I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care. They rotate around each day and it became very clear that other docs besides mine didn’t know what was going on with me. Be prepared for advocate for yourself. The on-call doc for my first retrieval mistakenly did not adjust my meds down correctly so I got overstimulated. And for my final retrieval, another doctor prescribed Ovidrel trigger even though I was close to overstimulating again. This was resolved by me getting in the middle of my doctor and the other doctor on call to advocate for myself. Their financial counselors are kind of terrible- pay very close attention to your bills because they make mistakes on their billing. And they are a zero balance clinic so prepare yourself for ultimatums coming from nurses before being able to proceed with protocols.
Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call.
have insurance coverage for some of it but paid $40 copay per visit (these REALLY add up), $895 per retrieval for cryopreservation, plus my coinsurance costs. Total of about $4,500 for 3 retrievals and 2 transfers spanning 2 calendar years. Not counting parking costs!
They wouldn’t transfer more than one.
Communication breakdowns are a regular occurrence. Also had a couple snafus between the nurses and front desk/appointment booking.

14 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Eve Feinberg] personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way...is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process...is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process
nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff [at Northwestern Medicine] were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind...When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening...I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me...Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings.
14 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Feinberg is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process
You will be in great hands!
Dr. Eve Feinberg is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process. I cannot remember all of the names of those who touched my care, but nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind. Dr. Feinberg personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way. When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and Kelsey and Dr. Lawson, Dr Pavon)
Very kind and communicative daily about next steps
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings. Amazing view of the city and an environment that put you at ease through very nerve wrecking appointments. Free coffee and snakcks Very friendly receptionists. I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me. The nurses were kind and explained every step and would always call me back quickly if I had a medication question. My Egg freezing went very smoothly and I had excellent and things went exactly as my primary doctor and nurses said that it would.
First come first serve. If you got there super early it was in and out and a little longer but after a few visits I knew what to expect!
$5800 out of pocket for fees and meds that my insurance did not cover
+ Read more- Read less

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I am a 43 year old intended mother who has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has had 6 miscarriages, 5 of the 6 miscarriages were through trying naturally. We saw Dr. Feinberg for our last two IVF rounds using my own eggs. We are beginning IVF rounds with her using donor eggs. (We have done 8 rounds of infertility treatments to date, though only two have been with her.)
Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful...is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Feinberg. She is exactly who I want and need in our corner while we fight to have our first child. I only wish we found her sooner. It would have made our first 6 rounds kinder and perhaps more successful.
Call her immediately.
Dr. Feinberg is so kind hearted, extremely knowledgeable, and has an excellent bedside manner. She remembered details about our personal lives, always called us by our preferred names/nicknames, and was the first Reproductive Endocrinologist to really explain to me what the process would be like and what I could expect---she has actually gone through infertility treatments herself, so she has personal experience. She is our first female Reproductive Endocrinologist and the only Reproductive Endocrinologist we've seen who did not boist or lead with ego. She was kind, extremely professional, and told us exactly what we needed to know to make educated decisions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I think being a patient of Dr. Feinberg's is enough of a reason to be a patient of Northwestern FRM. Northwestern is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors. I had one of their older, been there for a million years, male (now retired) Doctor perform our egg retrieval on our second IVF round. He walked past me, introduced himself to my husband, told him all about the procedure, and then walked out of the recovery room without acknowledging me while I sat on the table in a cap and gown waiting to go into surgery with him. The new Doctors do not operate in that archaic and disrespectful manner. Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful.
Our insurance helped with the cost substantially.

8 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Unexplained, Other
I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement...She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond.
When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse [at Norhtwestern Medicine] had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business...They [nurses] were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person...I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!!
8 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Unexplained, Other
Lia Bernardi was always great in person and on the phone. I spoke with her a total of two times in two years. Once at the initial meeting, once on the phone after miscarriage. She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond. Also I had to point out that my thyroid was high and only then did they put on meds for that. Nice person, not a great doctor/patient experience.
Look carefully at all tests and each patients results/past. Interact more with patient.
It is very much a fertility factory here. I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement. When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business.
Went for FET with an embryo from an embryo retrieved at another clinic out of state. Wanted to transfer in state so found them. They transferred and it was not a success. I requested Dr. Bernardi be the one to transfer- she agreed. The dr. that showed up at the transfer was NOT Dr. Bernardi and at that point I had no choice but to do the transfer as the embryo was thawed. It failed. Then we went to IUI as I had previously gotten pregnant with iui. First stimmed iui I became pregnant. I then was shuffled between two dr.'s as Dr. Bernardi went on maternity. The pregnancy was ectopic. Given methotrexate (3x) to dissolve pregnancy. Also had an empty sac. This was expelled and I ended up being admitted to ER for excessive bleeding. Horrible times. A few months pass. We decide to do iui again. First iui failed. Second they stimmed me too hard and I feel the cycle should have been cancelled as I triggered on day 6. It failed, not surprised. This current cycle I am doing a natural cycle (I asked for this). We'll see. I am planning on going elsewhere after this cycle.
They were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- they do a lot of procedures here and have the monitoring down. You will be with every other infertile woman in the city but it doesn't take too long. Weaknesses- not super compassionate, feels like a factory. Never felt they looked at ME- rather what normally works/is.
a lot for the fet. Each iui ends up being about 1700$
Not applicable
I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!! This was when my normal dr. was on maternity leave. My thyroid levels were off and I had to point this out! I had to request every follow up tsh test as well. My estrogen/lining was too low and I had to tell them this, "my lining seems too thin- perhaps I should have estrogen." then they said, "yes, you're right- I'll send a prescription." I wanted them to notice these things and fix them- not me. At times felt like I was my own doctor and they just performed the tests.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. ... She cowers behind her nursing staff [Northwestern Medicine] to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. ... Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. ... Standard IVF protocol
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. ... This is a very poorly run clinic [Northwestern Medicine]. ... [Monitoring appointments] It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting. ... the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste. ... No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process.
Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. She says it is for the safety for mother and baby, but with Northwestern's cost of $5000 per frozen transfer, there is a financial incentive for you to fail so that she can make more money on subsequent transfers. She cowers behind her nursing staff to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. I had a different doctor for both the egg retrieval and fresh transfer. All that waiting for her did was delay our ability to start treatment.
Don't wait to see her, because you really won't be seeing her. Take the first available appointment unless you feel like waiting another 6 months (or longer) to actually start treatment.
The clinic is a factory farm. You are not special. They don't care about you. You will have several nurses provide you information and several doctors will participate in your care. Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. You will see who is on call that day.
Standard IVF protocol, with a month of estrogen priming to start. 5 day fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. They only communicate via email via mychart.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very poorly run clinic. Expect to spend at least an hour in the waiting room for every early morning monitoring appointment...even if you come at the very beginning of the window. No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process. If anything, they are predatory and will only increase the emotional stress of the experience. An example of this was that the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste.
It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting.
$10,000 for out of pocket IVF, plus additional costs for all medicines. $5,000 for frozen transfer
She will only do a single embryo transfer unless you have very unfavorable characteristics (ie advanced maternal age and poor embryo quality).
I had a non-viable pregnancy (my HCG was not doubling), but yet the clinic nurse wanted me to continue progesterone injections and additional HCG testing appointments, saying there was a possibility it was a "lab error". The reality is that a non-doubling HCG is indicative of a non-viable pregnancy. This clinic only prolonged the agony of my loss by giving false hope and subjecting me to additional non-essential invasive procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints!...is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Lia Bernardi] was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages....She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles....She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that...
Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.
We initially saw a different doctor at the clinic. When my husband's semen analysis results came back abnormal, the nurse communicated with us via MyChart message. I felt this was inappropriate considering the results were abnormal. I wrote back multiple times saying I want the doctor to call us, but apparently the doctor refused and said we need to come in for an appointment. Her schedule was full when I called, which was so stressful. Eventually she overbooked us and met with us. I had to pay a $50 copay for the visit when she could've just called. My husband and I were extremely worried about what these results meant, but during appointment she said his results were only "mildly abnormal" and not too worrisome. She could have spared us so much stress by just calling right away. We switched doctors after that.
+ Read more- Read less

After my canceled cycle she [Dr. Christina Boots] made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far... I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures...I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer.
My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
[Monitoring hours at Northwestern Medicine are] different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour...Our IUI self-pay package cost $709 Our IVF with PGD (FET) cost $12,000 + meds cost of ~$6000 + genetic testing with Natera $6400
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained, Other
She is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
It is a long wait to get an appointment, but worth it! Also, she has 2 offices, downtown and Highland Park. The HP office is lower key - less crowded and more time with her.
She is kind, forthright, caring
We started with IUI since I had previously had a successful pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. I produced 1 follicle on clomid the first round and then she increased my dosage for another round, when I produced 2 follicles and became pregnant. Unfortunately genetic testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality and we had to terminate the pregnancy. Meanwhile we had also received information from our genetic screening that we are both carriers for a genetic disease. Dr Feinberg suggested changing course and we are currently doing IVF with ICSI and PGD. We did stimulation with 300 units of Gonal-F (increased to 375) and 75 units of Menopur (increased to 150), with Cetrotide and an Ovidrel trigger. This produced 13 follicles, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Dr Feinberg told us she will adjust if future cycles are necessary since these were not the results she had hoped for. She explained her choices were based on my previous ability to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Leah and Kelsey)
The nurses have been very responsive on my chart (online patient portal) and wonderful in person
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is fine, not great. There is some difficulty with communication between the two offices, though most patients just go to one. It can take a long time to get through to someone and get a call back since it is such a busy practice. For monitoring, waits are long.
This is different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour.
Dr Feinberg told us she does single embryo transfer and we are happy with this as we do not want multiples.
I tried to order meds from an online pharmacy to cut costs. It proved difficult to do this and I’m not sure if his is because it was not their in house pharmacy or on their list of suggestions, or if it was all on the pharmacy. I ended up spending more money to order through Northwestern for simplicity but the miscommunication caused a great deal of stress
+ Read more- Read less

The nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with...The biggest thing I wish I had known before I started with this clinic was that doctors aren't actual present for any cycle ultrasounds. All ultrasounds leading up to a transfer are done by staff. This was different from the level of care I had at my previous clinic and therefore was unexpected for me. Overall, Northwestern is fast and efficient, but I felt the staff as a whole could be a little friendlier. I had issues contacting the financial coordinators and getting my embryos transferred from my previous clinic.
When we first went for our consultation with Dr. Bernardi, she seemed incredibly friendly and knowledgable and like she would be a good doctor to work with. When it was time to start our cycle though I didn't hear from her at all, working only with nurses. When I requested for her to call, she elected instead to send me a message a day later informing me she was going on maternity leave and good luck. So essentially, she did not tell me she was going on maternity leave until the last moment, when she certainly could have told me sooner and made alternative arrangements for my care. In addition, she could not take the time to speak with me over the phone and discuss certain procedures and answer my questions. It was very disappointing.
Ask a lot of questions and be persistent if you actually want to speak on the phone with her. Although ultimately I would recommend a different doctor at Northwestern.
I received no personalized care or consideration from Dr. Bernardi. I genuinely felt that my cycle did not matter to her.
We used oral estrogen tablets, injectable progesterone, and progesterone suppositories.
The nurses were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$5,000 for an embryo transfer, plus the cost of medication, plus copay expenses for workup appointments.
When we had our initial consultation and I told her in our last cycle we had only done a single embryo, she asked why and thought we could do two embryos. That was the extent of her comments or explanation about the subject.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Feinberg is wonderful. She is so warm and caring with a great bedside manner. I feel like I really matter to her as a patient and she hears my concerns....I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5
it was very easy to get an appointment They [Northwestern Med] were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!...I was told that a specific diagnosis code would be used to bill my insurance. When the claims started coming through, they were all denied because the clinic used a different code than what they told me they were going to use.
Even though our first round of IVF with Dr Feinberg failed, we still trust her and the process and will not give up. We felt so well taken care of by her. She answers all my questions no matter how silly they may seem. When we talk to her, we feel as if she is more of a friend than a doctor.
She is determined to get you pregnant and will not give up!
I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5 and explained to us the reason she would transfer two instead of one. I liked how she mixed it up because we were afraid of doing the same thing as previous cycles and expecting different results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
Laura was very good about always getting back to me within an hour or two of me sending an email. She was very clear in her instructions and always follows through.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Unlike the other clinics I have been to, it was very easy to get an appointment They were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!
Compared to other clinics, the costs with Dr Feinberg were significantly lower. They really want to make it affordable to everyone as they know it doesn't always work on the first try and you might have to do more than one round. My insurance has an infertility max that had already been met, so we knew we were going to be self pay. We were pleasantly surprised that the financial advisor said our blood tests and ultrasounds would be covered, as well as some of the drugs, so we went with the lower priced package.
She said if it was her, she would transfer 2 but still gave us the choice to make on our own. We valued her advice and transferred two.

Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I like that she [Dr. Eve Feinberg] has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed...She knows her stuff, so you will be in good hands. However, be ready to be a Northwestern patient, in more ways than a Feinberg patient.
I interact mostly with the nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine]. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions...delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy...There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I like that she has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed.
They see A LOT of patients. I don't always feel like I have personal care, but I always feel like I receive great care. I work more closely with the nurse staff for sure and haven't had much direct contact with my doctor herself at all.
Cycle 1: Microdose Lupron Flare - used based on my test results and miscarriage history alone. I turned out to be overstimulated by this protocol and we were all pleasantly surprised that they were able to retrieve 14 eggs, 5 of which became blastocysts. However, none tested as PGS normal, so we decided to cycle again, as my doctor believes it is a numbers game and we had a good chance to get a normal in the next round. Cycle 2: Antagonist - started low dose and increased slightly. I wanted to stim lower and slower, if at all possible after not feeling very good during the first cycle. She was open to this for sure. My AFC this round was significantly lower though, and we retrieved only 7 eggs, 3 of which became blastocysts and 1 tested as PGS normal. She suggested we try to get at least one more PGS normal embryo before attempting any transfers though. Cycle 3: Long Lupron - we changed it up again to see how I would respond. I was on highest doses and was a slow responder. We did retrieve 13 eggs, but only 1 grew to blastocyst and we are currently awaiting PGS testing results (and we will then decide to either attempt a frozen transfer or retrieve again).
I interact mostly with the nursing staff. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good location in downtown Chicago, connected to Northwestern Hospital, and linked to all Northwestern doctors/services where I see most of my other physicans. Their lab is new and top notch. They do not do "batch cycles" but rather let you start on your cycle. That means they are open 7 days a week and holidays for appointments and procedures. The only thing to be aware of is they run FRM similarly to the OB practice - you may not see your doctor on the day of your procedure but instead the doctor who is scheduled to do procedures on that day.
Usually it was fast and super easy. There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Most have been covered by insurance so far. Before treatment for any new cycle, I do have to pay a lab deposit for biopsy, freezing and storage.
Nothing too serious, but just delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy.
+ Read more- Read less

For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians... [Dr. Feinberg] was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list... For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!!
Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid &lt;$800

2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer.... Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery.
With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her [Dr. Feinberg] and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.... we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate... She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out.
2014 - 2018
Latino, Other
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery. She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out. This has been the hardest journey of our lives. We’re lucky to have crossed paths so many years ago.
Have faith, because she believes in you and your dreams wholeheartedly.
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer. Once we realized my health was in jeopardy, we were scared, lost and helpless. We didn’t know which way to turn - we went from trying to create a life to saving my own. She put us in contact with NorthShore and oversaw the process until I was diagnosed and placed with the right oncologist. She’s been with us every step of the way and hasn’t given up on the original reason our paths crossed years ago, to help us become the parents we’ve been fighting so hard to become.
I had a hysteroscopy and 1 cycle of IUI before they found the cancer. Since then, we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Under FCI, I was more in touch with Dr Feinberg. With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.
Ranges due to insurance
N/a - not there yet

1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
[Under Dr. Randall Barnes] I took 300 units of Folistim and 150 units of Menopur for 5 days, and then started a daily shot of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Day 10 I took my trigger shot and went in 36 hours later for my ET. 7 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized. I also thawed my 18 frozen eggs, 11 which fertilized. Overall, 15 eggs fertilzed and we are now waiting for our results on day 5 blastocyst stage, after which the remaining blastocysts will be biopsied and sent for PGD testing.
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern Fertility Clinic is a large practice, which means you deal with lots of different people throughout the process, from multiple nurses, to schedulers, to financial advisors, to psychologists, to doctors who are on call the day of your procedures. It is not guaranteed your doctor will perform your retrievals or transfers. Overall, I had a positive experience with NFC, and with Dr. Barnes. I am in the midst of my treatments still, so I am not able to speak to my results yet... that is still to be determined! Also, in the midst of my treatment, and after several appointments with Dr. Barnes, I received a letter from Northwestern letting me know that he was retiring. So, in the midst of my treatments, I was left without a doctor and had to switch to a different doctor in the practice. My husband and I were surprised that this was never mentioned to us during multiple appointments with Barnes or with the nurses. It seemed like something they should tell us, so we could've started the process with a different doctor verses being caught off guard. This was my biggest critique of working with the NW Fertility clinic thus far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is now retired from Northwestern Fertility Clinic.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic itself feels well organized considering the volume of patients they serve. At times I felt like it was a cattle call with the other women who were coming in for their routine early morning blood work and ultrasound appointments, but that comes with the territory when your'e working with a large clinic. Most of the time they got me in and out within 30 minutes for my morning appointments. Additionally, the clinic itself is a beautiful space, and the views overlooking lake michigan with soft music playing definitely make the experience more pleasant.
Morning appointments were an open window from 6:45-7:45am. Some mornings the wait was longer than others. My shortest appointment time was around 20 minutes, and my longest was 45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Luckily my insurance covers this process.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor strongly steered us toward eSET, although I had my heart set on transferring 2 embryos. He explained that due to complications from multiples, the best practice now is to recommend an eSET.
The two things that went wrong were: - No one told us that Dr. Barnes was retiring, and we ended up starting the process with him, only to be informed by letter that he was retiring. So, for part of my process I had no assigned physician. - I received information from one nurse that I couldn't start my IVF cycle because our PGD test wasn't ready. After reaching out to try to get in touch with my regular nurse and telling her we wanted to get started anyways, our regular nurse let us know that we could in fact get started. So there was around a 2 day window of a lot of dissapointment when we heard back from the first nurse that we couldn't get started, when in fact we could.
Randall Barnes
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
After several months of inconclusive testing, she [Dr. Pavone] suggested IUI...I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses...After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
The nurses and US techs [at Northwestern Medicine] are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only
Other, Prefer not to answer
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
This review covers my experience with NW RE and Fertility Division from May 2017 -- Dec. 2017. It has taken me over a year to come to terms with my experience and feel comfortable sharing it as a warning for others. We first met with Dr. Pavone in May after two years of TTC; she was great and mild mannered but straight forward. She required months worth of tests before she would make a recommendation on any treatment moving forward. After several months of inconclusive testing, she suggested IUI. We started IUI in Sept. I never met with or heard from Dr. Pavone again. From there on out, I was passed from Nurse to ultra sound tech. The US techs are only available for a short period on weekday and weekend mornings (about 1.5 hours). There is no other time to be seen unless you raise a stink -- which by my third IUI, I was having to do. The nurses and US techs are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only to learn that Dr. Pavone had had a baby and was out on maternity leave. No one had ever told me she was pregnant and worse -- I had not seen her in so long that it hadn't been obvious that she was pregnant at all. The practice never bothered to follow up with a backup plan for a new doctor in her place. To say that this was a terrible and traumatizing experience is just scraping what I went through. And I would still be leaving a one star review even if the male doctor had not damaged my cervix so badly. Overall, there are way better practices that you can go to outside of Northwestern that will treat you like a human and not a number, that will respect you as a woman with rights to her body, and who will look after your individual case. Good luck to you in your fertility journey.
Please find another doctor and another practice. You are wasting your precious money, time and efforts here.
I only met with Dr. Pavone once. After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
Dr. Pavone required lots of testing, all of which were normal so I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses.
There are so many nurses that it varied. However the Ultra Sound techs were horrible. I had one nurse that was so horrified by my IUI experience that she held my hand while I cried and wrote a letter to my doctor to share how bad my experience was. I did not get a response from my doctor.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The benefit is sitting under Northwestern medicine and sharing MyChart but that is where the pros end. This place is constantly FULL to the brim with hopeful parents-to-be. There is no sitting room. You are less than a number here, you are a drive-through customer. The receptionists are organized and thoughtful. The nursing staff are miserable. Limited windows for critical things like US, bloodwork, long long wait times.
Insurance covered
I had a male doctor who was not part of my care plan physically tear my cervix with scissors to perform an IUI without my consent. As a result, I had to have surgery and have a damaged cervix as a result. This damage has impacted IVF (successful with another practice) and natural birth.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses [Northwestern Medicine].
However, my main reason for not returning [to Northwestern] is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses.
Advocate for yourself. If the protocol doesn't work the first or second time, ask her (or the nurses) to switch it up.
The only time you see the doctor is at the initial consult. Other than that, you are one of hundreds of patients that rotate through for cyclework.
Femara 5mg and Ovidrel trigger shot. Femara is supposed to be better than clomid especially with PCOS. Since I don't ovulate on my own, the trigger shot was there to ensure I did - if it did it's job. I unfortunately don't know if it worked because we never checked my levels after doing the trigger. After 6 cycles of timed intercourse, an IUI was ordered.
Kelsey was great. Always responded within hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a herding facility. Get in, get out, get paid. Most of the workers were very nice. However, my main reason for not returning is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
280 per ultrasound 1200 for IUI
IUI mix up - see previous section

2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.

15 Eggs Frozen
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process...I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success... I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients... I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
15 Eggs Frozen
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.

5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success...Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] out of pocket (roughly $18,000)...Northwestern has great facilities both in the city and in Highland Park. Only Dr. Feinberg sees patients in Highland Park, so the office is pretty quiet, which is nice. The downtown office is busier and a few of the blood draw and ultrasound techs are not friendly, and a little friendliness goes a long way when you are getting poked in the arm and during a transvaginal ultrasound...I got to know Laura [nurse] after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg. Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success. I know Dr. Feinberg also works with women who want to freeze their eggs, and I've referred a few friends to her who are interested in this option. I've sought complementary treatment from many other professionals (acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, therapists) and all of them consistently say that Dr. Feinberg is the best. I'm hopeful that we will have success with donor eggs in the next few months with her.
Dr. Feinberg books up far in advance, so I recommend making a follow up appointment around when you know your next cycle will end, so you can meet with her to discuss a plan if pregnancy does not occur.
My husband and I had periodic appointments with Dr. Feinberg at Northwestern at various points in treatment. We felt that she provided thorough information (and I ask a lot of questions) and spent good time with us. Her nurse that we worked with (Laura) was good about follow-through. I felt that our treatment plan was customized to us and not just a one-size-fits-all approach.
We did protocols for diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), using estrogen pill or patch priming and then microdose lupron. She gave me the highest dose of Menopur and Follistim, but I only produced a few eggs at 2 retrievals. We tried for a third round of IVF, but I wasn't responding, so we converted to IUI. Dr. Feinberg made it clear that IVF/IUI are not necessarily the best treatment for DOR, and trying on our own was a fine option and that treatment may not be help. I appreciated this perspective.
I got to know Laura after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle out of pocket (roughly $18,000), In 2017 our round of IVF and a few IUIs were covered by insurance- thank god! It's ridiculously expensive.
For our first transfer, we only had one egg to transfer. For the second transfer, we had 2 and we transferred both. Looking back, I think we should have frozen them and transferred one at a time in following months after my body had calmed down a bit. I was ok with possibly having twins, but with the perspective I have now, transferring one at a time is best for the baby and the mother. Dr. Feinberg has written about this here: http://garnetnews.com/2017/03/12/twins-not-necessarily-double-blessing/
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr. Jared Robins was] willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available...we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test...he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility.
monitoring [at Northwestern Medicine] was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call... we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
I felt like Dr. Robins was accessible, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. he answered all our questions and never made us feel like they were stupid questions. he was genuinely excited for our success when it occurred and did all our post-implantation ultrasounds before we graduated to the regular OB. shared data in frank, accessible ways and made me feel confident that his goal was the same as ours. When asked about things like acupuncture, he said "look, we want you to get pregnant as soon as possible. if there was any evidence that anything improves those odds, we'd make (strongly advise, provide in the clinic) you do it - of course because we want you to be successful, but also because our success as a practice relies on our success rates, so we're going to do whatever it takes for our own self-interest as well." that made me feel really confident that he was being open and honest with us, as well as knowing that we were both invested in our success. It's great for a doctor to want you to be happy, but I liked knowing that he felt like he had a professional stake in it as well.
don't be afraid to ask all your questions - he'll give you the research behind why he's choosing a certain protocol
willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available. was very thoughtful and careful during transfer. laughed at my jokes :)
I was 34 at the time and we had male factor, with no indications/diagnosis that I should have any trouble. we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test. for the retrieval cycle, he used a long lupron protocol, which is his standard for a presumably healthy woman under 35. I used lupron, menopur, and follistim, at lower doses than a friend of mine who had diminished ovarian reserve but was also on the long lupron protocol. he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility. 13 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 5 embryos (grade 1, which was the best) fresh transfer of a single embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test frozen transfer of a single embryo (after sitting out a cycle to get my estrogen down) resulted in a live birth.
monitoring was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to my age and the quality of our embryos, since multiple pregnancies are riskier for both mom and babies. he told me "statistically, the embryos you have are going to be the number of babies they are going to be. if you transfer them in multiples vs single, it just speeds up the answer, but doesn't change it"
+ Read more- Read less

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.
+ Read more- Read less

While I like Dr. Kazer, there are many physicians at this practice, and so decisions regarding my treatment plan have not always been made by him. I'm not confident that they reviewed my chart prior to making their recommendations...Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it...He has a dry sense of humor...Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has a dry sense of humor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far we are doing medicated IUI cycles.
The nursing staff here is terrible. They are cold and frankly, don't seem particularly knowledgable. On multiple occasions, I've received incorrect information from them. Furthermore, I understand that people are allowed to get pregnant, but I think it's particularly insensitive to have a pregnant nurse interacting with infertility patients.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I've been really disappointed in this clinic overall. Everything feels disorganized. I've had issues with the check-in desk, the financial coordinators have provided incorrect information, and I don't find the nursing staff warm or knowledgable. Many times, the ultrasound techs don't even introduce themselves. Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary. I don't need someone to tell me this is going to be a stressful experience. Based upon my experiences, I don't think I will continue to seek treatment here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IUI's are $585 Parking is $11 Psych Consult was $375 HSG was $1092 Each ultrasound is $286 Each day of labs are $$251
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
unknown
They booked me for an egg freezing procedure on the day I was there for my HSG. My financial counselor never called
Ralph Kazer
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else...Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.
Ralph Kazer
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
Just to go to her in the first place!
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.

2013 - 2017
He [Dr. Barnes] was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us...we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages...I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive.
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
2013 - 2017
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.
Randall Barnes
+ Read more- Read less

I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.

1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim [with Dr. Eve Feinberg] . We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal...She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.

2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.