Genetic counseling: Offered
Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Medicine to a friend?

I would definitely recommend the Northwestern Fertility Clinic. Given that they’re part of the Northwestern network of hospitals, it gives me faith that I am working with top notch care givers in a top notch institution. The appointments are usually very well run and efficient. The only drawback is that since they’re such a large clinic, there is little room for flexibility. If you are unable to make it to a monitoring appointment betweem the ascribed times, you will have to wait until the next day.
Investor
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Jain listened to our concerns from our previous two IVF cycles and adjusted our protocol to help achieve our desired results (i.e. no OHSS) for our third cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana M. Sullivan, RN)
My primary nurse, Dana Sullivan, RN, could not be a better caregiver. I have work with three different REs (the first two retired) and she has been my one constant. Dana is kind and companionate and the one that I’ve talked to when I had a positive beta and a negative beta. She also sought me out at the clinic after my miscarriage to give her condolences. She is great at what she does.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine?
We were initially introduced to Dr. Jain during our third embryo transfer. He was kind and careful during that procedure. I ended up becoming pregnant but lost the baby nine weeks later. As an aside, it turns out that the baby had a severe case of down syndrome. In between the embryo transfer and our miscarriage, our doctor had retired and it was recommended that we meet with Dr. Jain for our follow-up appointment. Despite being a large clinic, Dr. Jain remembered performing our embryo transfer and gave his condolences several times given that we lost the baby from that transfer. We decided to move forward with Dr. Jain for our third, and hopefully last, IVF cycle. We just had our egg retrieval two day’s ago, but so far Dr. Jain has been extremely sympathetic to our situation, needs and wishes and has done whatever was in his ability to set us up for a good outcome. Most importantly, he listens to what we have to say.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine?
I would tell a perspective patient that they most likely won’t see Dr. Jain often but know that he is working behind the scenes and will monitor your case and implement your wishes however he can. So please speak up. Dr. Jain is there to listen and craft a plan with your assistance.
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
I am prone to OHSS. After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs. He put me on 75 units of Menopur and 125 units of Follistim. After five days, he reduced my Follistim dose to 100 units and we discontinued my stims after 8 days. The doctor who performed my egg retrieval, Dr. Boots, ended up getting 16 eggs of which 11 fertilized. We are much happier with this modest amount.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic down monitoring within a two hour window each morning during the early hours (6:45 to 7:45, I believe). While this doesn’t always jive with our schedule, especially with a little one at home that needs to be dropped off at daycare, once we get to the clinic, monitoring appointments usually run very smoothly. I am usually in and out within twenty minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine.
We are lucky in that our insurance covers the procedures related to IVF. We only have to pay for medications and genetic testing. That being said, we asked Dr. Jain to send in the request for medications in December even though we weren’t doing IVF until February because we had already spent our deductible in 2018 and the medications would be free (we’ll take our small wins where we can). Dr. Jain complied but failed to order enough Follistim to cover a minimum of 8 days. What we had only covered 7 days. We had to purchase more Follistim in February because we were 75 units short and it cost us $1.5k. We will also have to pay for genetic testing, which will likely cost around $5k.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
The fertility clinic as a whole has a very strict one embryo transfer policy. I’m not sure what circumstances would make the doctors change this protocol. Perhaps if the patient is over 40 and did not test their embryos they would be more willing to transfer more than one.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine.

At the end of our 6 IUI/medicated rounds, we decided we were unhappy overall with the care provided from northwestern and decided to switch facilities. When I contacted northwestern about obtaining results from certain procedures or labs, they gave me a hard time. Sent me to medical records who in turn said they didn’t have record of certain results and then I ultimately got sent back to the office and the nurse was able to email it to me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths: they’re apart of a major hospital working on the forefront of medicine. The team of doctors and nurses are very intelligent and worked hard to get a job at the office. Labwork, US, retrieval’s, etc are all performed on location. The communication via MyChart is very easy to use and they respond to your questions within 24 hours. The office waiting room sometimes has snacks available for the patients. Weaknesses: overalll feeling of being “just a number”. Long wait times/ unorganized format for drawing bloodwork & US, unfriendly front desk staff, and felt like a very “sterile” environment. It was also very hard for me to get ahold of medical records that I needed when I transferred doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Pavone for my initial consultation. She performed an US and blood work, and diagnosed me with PCOS based on the results. She told me at our initial meeting that she treats PCOS with 3 rounds of medicated timed intercourse and 3 rounds of medicated IUI. I never saw her again to discuss why the process may not be working or even to change my medication dosage. I felt like it was just a standard “ok you have PCOS this is the plan” but not necessarily a plan for me and my body. Also, The office felt very sterile. When you came in for a morning appointment, women were corralled in the hallway waiting to check in- and a women behind a computer shouted “NEXT” and then when you approached the desk she just said “NAME.” Felt very “DMV”- like. Also, each time I came in for an US , the nurse or technician wouldn’t remember why I was there- even though it should be on my chart. They would say things like “is this an US before IVF?” When it would just be my mid cycle scan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: It was a primary nursing team- Anitra, Syrena, and a few others whom I didnt work with frequently.)
I really enjoyed having a primary nursing team, I felt that it helped narrow down the amount of people I was communicating with. They were very responsive to my emails and I talked to them 99% of the time over my Physician. Anitra was especially compassionate and I felt like she advocated for my care.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr Pavone is a very professional women. She spent time with me during my consult and listened to me explain my history and gave my husband and I a plan. She was knowledgeable and polite but was not warm and fuzzy. I only met her once, so I can’t really say how my experience as her patient was since I only spent one hour of my 6 month treatment course with her. I would ask questions through my nurses to her and they would be the communicators of her information. Other than the initial visit, I never felt like my condition (PCOS) was explained to me. I didn’t know why I was ovulating each month, had normal labs, responded to the medication, but wasn’t getting pregnant. No one took the time to explain that to me and when I asked they’d say “the body just sometimes doesn’t take.” Which is fine, but why?! What happens to my eggs in particular? During my IUIs I asked for a change in the planned course of medication dosage and I got shut down. Meanwhile, midcycle, I wasn’t responding to my letrozole and they decided on cycle day 20 to increase my dose and restart the whole process (just like I had suggested on cycle day 1). I feel that if Dr. Pavone saw me in the office as she walked by, she wouldn’t even know if I was her patient. Again, I didn’t have an in-depth treatment course with her- I wasn’t to the point of IVF so maybe I just wasn’t a serious enough case to be seen by a doctor, but I just felt slightly ignored and neglected and I don’t think any patient would like to feel that way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
Be your own advocate and fight for yourself and your body. Ask for meetings and speak up with lots of questions. if your plan isn’t working, don’t just keep going along with it without knowing why.
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
In regards to treatment strategies, Dr. Pavone, after diagnosing me with PCOS, decided that trialing three rounds of medicated timed intercourse followed by medicated IUIs would suite my diagnosis well. None of them were successful and we did not change the course for any of the cycles even though I asked to change medication dosage.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine.
My care was 100% covered since my insurance it with the same hospital.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
Non applicable.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine.

2017 - 2019
Communication breakdowns are a regular occurrence [at Northwestern Medicine]. Also had a couple snafus between the nurses and front desk/appointment booking...Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call... I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I don’t recommend NW to friends. I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care. They rotate around each day and it became very clear that other docs besides mine didn’t know what was going on with me. Be prepared for advocate for yourself. The on-call doc for my first retrieval mistakenly did not adjust my meds down correctly so I got overstimulated. And for my final retrieval, another doctor prescribed Ovidrel trigger even though I was close to overstimulating again. This was resolved by me getting in the middle of my doctor and the other doctor on call to advocate for myself. Their financial counselors are kind of terrible- pay very close attention to your bills because they make mistakes on their billing. And they are a zero balance clinic so prepare yourself for ultimatums coming from nurses before being able to proceed with protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
The clinic is very much like a cattle call- the sheer volume of patients moving through their office each day is staggering. My care was managed by whoever was on call that day.
90% of my contact with the nurses was through MyChart where my questions would get answered by whomever was there at the time. I could never tell if they were sharing notes. Consistency of care is a major problem. Some nurses are kind, some are helpful, some are neither.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Robins is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
Don’t use him if you need comforting care.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor. The protocol for my first 2 retrievals was Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being frozen for PGS/PGD testing. Only had 3 transferable after testing.
Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine.
I have insurance coverage for some of it but paid $40 copay per visit (these REALLY add up), $895 per retrieval for cryopreservation, plus my coinsurance costs. Total of about $4,500 for 3 retrievals and 2 transfers spanning 2 calendar years. Not counting parking costs!
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
They wouldn’t transfer more than one.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine.

14 Eggs Frozen
nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff [at Northwestern Medicine] were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind...When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening...I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me...Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings.
14 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings. Amazing view of the city and an environment that put you at ease through very nerve wrecking appointments. Free coffee and snakcks Very friendly receptionists. I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me. The nurses were kind and explained every step and would always call me back quickly if I had a medication question. My Egg freezing went very smoothly and I had excellent and things went exactly as my primary doctor and nurses said that it would.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Eve Feinberg is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process. I cannot remember all of the names of those who touched my care, but nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind. Dr. Feinberg personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way. When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and Kelsey and Dr. Lawson, Dr Pavon)
Very kind and communicative daily about next steps
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
You will be in great hands!
First come first serve. If you got there super early it was in and out and a little longer but after a few visits I knew what to expect!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine.
$5800 out of pocket for fees and meds that my insurance did not cover
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful...is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I think being a patient of Dr. Feinberg's is enough of a reason to be a patient of Northwestern FRM. Northwestern is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors. I had one of their older, been there for a million years, male (now retired) Doctor perform our egg retrieval on our second IVF round. He walked past me, introduced himself to my husband, told him all about the procedure, and then walked out of the recovery room without acknowledging me while I sat on the table in a cap and gown waiting to go into surgery with him. The new Doctors do not operate in that archaic and disrespectful manner. Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful.
Dr. Feinberg is so kind hearted, extremely knowledgeable, and has an excellent bedside manner. She remembered details about our personal lives, always called us by our preferred names/nicknames, and was the first Reproductive Endocrinologist to really explain to me what the process would be like and what I could expect---she has actually gone through infertility treatments herself, so she has personal experience. She is our first female Reproductive Endocrinologist and the only Reproductive Endocrinologist we've seen who did not boist or lead with ego. She was kind, extremely professional, and told us exactly what we needed to know to make educated decisions.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Feinberg. She is exactly who I want and need in our corner while we fight to have our first child. I only wish we found her sooner. It would have made our first 6 rounds kinder and perhaps more successful.
Call her immediately.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
I am a 43 year old intended mother who has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has had 6 miscarriages, 5 of the 6 miscarriages were through trying naturally. We saw Dr. Feinberg for our last two IVF rounds using my own eggs. We are beginning IVF rounds with her using donor eggs. (We have done 8 rounds of infertility treatments to date, though only two have been with her.)
Our insurance helped with the cost substantially.

8 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Other, Unexplained
When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse [at Norhtwestern Medicine] had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business...They [nurses] were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person...I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!!
8 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths- they do a lot of procedures here and have the monitoring down. You will be with every other infertile woman in the city but it doesn't take too long. Weaknesses- not super compassionate, feels like a factory. Never felt they looked at ME- rather what normally works/is.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
It is very much a fertility factory here. I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement. When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business.
They were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
Lia Bernardi was always great in person and on the phone. I spoke with her a total of two times in two years. Once at the initial meeting, once on the phone after miscarriage. She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond. Also I had to point out that my thyroid was high and only then did they put on meds for that. Nice person, not a great doctor/patient experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
Look carefully at all tests and each patients results/past. Interact more with patient.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
Went for FET with an embryo from an embryo retrieved at another clinic out of state. Wanted to transfer in state so found them. They transferred and it was not a success. I requested Dr. Bernardi be the one to transfer- she agreed. The dr. that showed up at the transfer was NOT Dr. Bernardi and at that point I had no choice but to do the transfer as the embryo was thawed. It failed. Then we went to IUI as I had previously gotten pregnant with iui. First stimmed iui I became pregnant. I then was shuffled between two dr.'s as Dr. Bernardi went on maternity. The pregnancy was ectopic. Given methotrexate (3x) to dissolve pregnancy. Also had an empty sac. This was expelled and I ended up being admitted to ER for excessive bleeding. Horrible times. A few months pass. We decide to do iui again. First iui failed. Second they stimmed me too hard and I feel the cycle should have been cancelled as I triggered on day 6. It failed, not surprised. This current cycle I am doing a natural cycle (I asked for this). We'll see. I am planning on going elsewhere after this cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine.
a lot for the fet. Each iui ends up being about 1700$
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
Not applicable
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine.

Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. ... This is a very poorly run clinic [Northwestern Medicine]. ... [Monitoring appointments] It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting. ... the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste. ... No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
This is a very poorly run clinic. Expect to spend at least an hour in the waiting room for every early morning monitoring appointment...even if you come at the very beginning of the window. No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process. If anything, they are predatory and will only increase the emotional stress of the experience. An example of this was that the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste.
The clinic is a factory farm. You are not special. They don't care about you. You will have several nurses provide you information and several doctors will participate in your care. Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. You will see who is on call that day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. They only communicate via email via mychart.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. She says it is for the safety for mother and baby, but with Northwestern's cost of $5000 per frozen transfer, there is a financial incentive for you to fail so that she can make more money on subsequent transfers. She cowers behind her nursing staff to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. I had a different doctor for both the egg retrieval and fresh transfer. All that waiting for her did was delay our ability to start treatment.
Don't wait to see her, because you really won't be seeing her. Take the first available appointment unless you feel like waiting another 6 months (or longer) to actually start treatment.
Standard IVF protocol, with a month of estrogen priming to start. 5 day fresh transfer.
It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting.
$10,000 for out of pocket IVF, plus additional costs for all medicines. $5,000 for frozen transfer
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
She will only do a single embryo transfer unless you have very unfavorable characteristics (ie advanced maternal age and poor embryo quality).
Chicago

Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.

IVF, Donor Eggs
I was pushed off to nurses that often addressed me incorrectly, and just seemed like a lot of unhappy people working there [Northwestern Med]. ... Accounts lost my payments affected my treatment. I double paid to keep progress and was refunded eventually without a sorry. Sperm lab (or nurse) failed to tell my husband that he had to have cleared sperm three days before sample given
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Everybody is mean and grumpy and unhappy. I use my middle name and every visit I was called by the wrong name despite file notes on every visit to the contrary. And rude looks of staff that they were never told. Accounts lost my payments affected my treatment. I double paid to keep progress and was refunded eventually without a sorry. Sperm lab (or nurse) failed to tell my husband that he had to have cleared sperm three days before sample given Got shouted down by weird little lab staff when I said we had to walk, clear sperm and return in 3 days. By then eggs thawed and no hope. Was constantly shouted to do frozen sorry sample $450 verses a fresh sample cost of $150... I won that one and refused frozen But who needs the hassle??
Eve is too busy and not supported by a team that operates with efficiency at NW. I was pushed off to nurses that often addressed me incorrectly, and just seemed like a lot of unhappy people working there. One nurse left the practice and other was ok but overwhelmed. Mostly I got the sense Eve was TIRED and I was just another person that she was nice to if I happen to be seated in front of her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: katie ( she left ) )
Required a mountain of effort to get her to respond to a call or an email I hit resend 3 days in a row to get 1 reply She sent wrong medication to the pharmacy (old meds that DR had discontinued and upon refill time guess what showed up? Yup- the wrong ones) She told me by eggs were moving and wait for notice. Six weeks later I asked where they were and she said “oh, they didn’t move” and no explanation was forthcoming They lost an $1800 payment I made in a computer migration... I had to spend countless hours with agrivation to force them to find it. In the end I made the payment AGAIN and then they found it and refunded me. What a mess
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Eve is a nice person that seems disinterested in some level. I feel like she needs to work part time or maybe decide if she wants to be less involved in the political fertility scene. Her issues could be resolved by just saying NO new patients until she has handled well the ones she has. Once I was told to wait over 6 weeks for an appointment and that appointment was nothing except me having to sign a few documents and I was so upset. They were burning my months of fertility because they couldn’t find 3 minutes for me to scratch my name on a document. For me that was when I should have left and gone elsewhere. My donor eggs were really crap and only 1 worked as a 3 day transfer and Eve didn’t do the transfer (of course too busy) so I wwantwd a 5 day Blast and they put in a ‘Hail mary’ and of course the embryo miscarried. Many times Eve promised to call the egg bank and enquire if any other eggs of the donor had worked and I reminded her several times and she blew it off. After she had PROMISED. She seems to me to say ‘hello’ and then disappear and then jump in later when a heartbeat was there and act like it was the direct result of her interactions when it was not.
Just don’t bother/waste time and money like it did for half an effort from Eve and NW. Find somebody younger, more hungry and more enthusiastic because that will go a long way. You need a partner in this long haul race.
Very standard. Anybody would have done it. 1- do a hysteroscopy to check issues 1b if issues fix 2 get on BC to stop cycle 3 order the eggs frozen 4 take estrogen to make lining and take progesterone shots and vag tablets 5 check lining 6 thaw eggs 7 add husband sperm 8 grow eggs (watch them grow badly and nobody care) 9 throw in one nasty looking egg on day 3 - all other eggs deformed. Note** eggs provided by supposed AA++ donor (LOL and $17K later) only provider allowed By Eve to be used. 10 watch embryo take and then watch it fall out 13-14 weeks later End
$6000 IVF $17,000 A+++ frozen egg lot that failed totally $3000 hysteroscooy $2000 incedental appointments
She only wanted one embryo and then the lady that out in embryo said to me “how many am I putting in?” Shouldn’t Eve have told her what to do??? Am I to second guess at that moment on the table?
Chicago

Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.

Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
[Monitoring hours at Northwestern Medicine are] different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour...Our IUI self-pay package cost $709 Our IVF with PGD (FET) cost $12,000 + meds cost of ~$6000 + genetic testing with Natera $6400
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
This is fine, not great. There is some difficulty with communication between the two offices, though most patients just go to one. It can take a long time to get through to someone and get a call back since it is such a busy practice. For monitoring, waits are long.
She is kind, forthright, caring
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Leah and Kelsey)
The nurses have been very responsive on my chart (online patient portal) and wonderful in person
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
She is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
It is a long wait to get an appointment, but worth it! Also, she has 2 offices, downtown and Highland Park. The HP office is lower key - less crowded and more time with her.
We started with IUI since I had previously had a successful pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. I produced 1 follicle on clomid the first round and then she increased my dosage for another round, when I produced 2 follicles and became pregnant. Unfortunately genetic testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality and we had to terminate the pregnancy. Meanwhile we had also received information from our genetic screening that we are both carriers for a genetic disease. Dr Feinberg suggested changing course and we are currently doing IVF with ICSI and PGD. We did stimulation with 300 units of Gonal-F (increased to 375) and 75 units of Menopur (increased to 150), with Cetrotide and an Ovidrel trigger. This produced 13 follicles, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Dr Feinberg told us she will adjust if future cycles are necessary since these were not the results she had hoped for. She explained her choices were based on my previous ability to conceive.
This is different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour.
Dr Feinberg told us she does single embryo transfer and we are happy with this as we do not want multiples.
Chicago

The nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with...The biggest thing I wish I had known before I started with this clinic was that doctors aren't actual present for any cycle ultrasounds. All ultrasounds leading up to a transfer are done by staff. This was different from the level of care I had at my previous clinic and therefore was unexpected for me. Overall, Northwestern is fast and efficient, but I felt the staff as a whole could be a little friendlier. I had issues contacting the financial coordinators and getting my embryos transferred from my previous clinic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I received no personalized care or consideration from Dr. Bernardi. I genuinely felt that my cycle did not matter to her.
The nurses were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
When we first went for our consultation with Dr. Bernardi, she seemed incredibly friendly and knowledgable and like she would be a good doctor to work with. When it was time to start our cycle though I didn't hear from her at all, working only with nurses. When I requested for her to call, she elected instead to send me a message a day later informing me she was going on maternity leave and good luck. So essentially, she did not tell me she was going on maternity leave until the last moment, when she certainly could have told me sooner and made alternative arrangements for my care. In addition, she could not take the time to speak with me over the phone and discuss certain procedures and answer my questions. It was very disappointing.
Ask a lot of questions and be persistent if you actually want to speak on the phone with her. Although ultimately I would recommend a different doctor at Northwestern.
We used oral estrogen tablets, injectable progesterone, and progesterone suppositories.
$5,000 for an embryo transfer, plus the cost of medication, plus copay expenses for workup appointments.
When we had our initial consultation and I told her in our last cycle we had only done a single embryo, she asked why and thought we could do two embryos. That was the extent of her comments or explanation about the subject.
Chicago

it was very easy to get an appointment They [Northwestern Med] were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!...I was told that a specific diagnosis code would be used to bill my insurance. When the claims started coming through, they were all denied because the clinic used a different code than what they told me they were going to use.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Unlike the other clinics I have been to, it was very easy to get an appointment They were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!
Dr Feinberg is wonderful. She is so warm and caring with a great bedside manner. I feel like I really matter to her as a patient and she hears my concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
Laura was very good about always getting back to me within an hour or two of me sending an email. She was very clear in her instructions and always follows through.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Even though our first round of IVF with Dr Feinberg failed, we still trust her and the process and will not give up. We felt so well taken care of by her. She answers all my questions no matter how silly they may seem. When we talk to her, we feel as if she is more of a friend than a doctor.
She is determined to get you pregnant and will not give up!
I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5 and explained to us the reason she would transfer two instead of one. I liked how she mixed it up because we were afraid of doing the same thing as previous cycles and expecting different results.
Compared to other clinics, the costs with Dr Feinberg were significantly lower. They really want to make it affordable to everyone as they know it doesn't always work on the first try and you might have to do more than one round. My insurance has an infertility max that had already been met, so we knew we were going to be self pay. We were pleasantly surprised that the financial advisor said our blood tests and ultrasounds would be covered, as well as some of the drugs, so we went with the lower priced package.
She said if it was her, she would transfer 2 but still gave us the choice to make on our own. We valued her advice and transferred two.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
I interact mostly with the nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine]. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions...delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy...There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Good location in downtown Chicago, connected to Northwestern Hospital, and linked to all Northwestern doctors/services where I see most of my other physicans. Their lab is new and top notch. They do not do "batch cycles" but rather let you start on your cycle. That means they are open 7 days a week and holidays for appointments and procedures. The only thing to be aware of is they run FRM similarly to the OB practice - you may not see your doctor on the day of your procedure but instead the doctor who is scheduled to do procedures on that day.
They see A LOT of patients. I don't always feel like I have personal care, but I always feel like I receive great care. I work more closely with the nurse staff for sure and haven't had much direct contact with my doctor herself at all.
I interact mostly with the nursing staff. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
I like that she has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed.
She knows her stuff, so you will be in good hands. However, be ready to be a Northwestern patient, in more ways than a Feinberg patient.
Cycle 1: Microdose Lupron Flare - used based on my test results and miscarriage history alone. I turned out to be overstimulated by this protocol and we were all pleasantly surprised that they were able to retrieve 14 eggs, 5 of which became blastocysts. However, none tested as PGS normal, so we decided to cycle again, as my doctor believes it is a numbers game and we had a good chance to get a normal in the next round. Cycle 2: Antagonist - started low dose and increased slightly. I wanted to stim lower and slower, if at all possible after not feeling very good during the first cycle. She was open to this for sure. My AFC this round was significantly lower though, and we retrieved only 7 eggs, 3 of which became blastocysts and 1 tested as PGS normal. She suggested we try to get at least one more PGS normal embryo before attempting any transfers though. Cycle 3: Long Lupron - we changed it up again to see how I would respond. I was on highest doses and was a slow responder. We did retrieve 13 eggs, but only 1 grew to blastocyst and we are currently awaiting PGS testing results (and we will then decide to either attempt a frozen transfer or retrieve again).
Usually it was fast and super easy. There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Most have been covered by insurance so far. Before treatment for any new cycle, I do have to pay a lab deposit for biopsy, freezing and storage.
Chicago

Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid &lt;$800

2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her [Dr. Feinberg] and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.... we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate... She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out.
2014 - 2018
Latino, Other
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Under FCI, I was more in touch with Dr Feinberg. With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer. Once we realized my health was in jeopardy, we were scared, lost and helpless. We didn’t know which way to turn - we went from trying to create a life to saving my own. She put us in contact with NorthShore and oversaw the process until I was diagnosed and placed with the right oncologist. She’s been with us every step of the way and hasn’t given up on the original reason our paths crossed years ago, to help us become the parents we’ve been fighting so hard to become.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery. She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out. This has been the hardest journey of our lives. We’re lucky to have crossed paths so many years ago.
Have faith, because she believes in you and your dreams wholeheartedly.
I had a hysteroscopy and 1 cycle of IUI before they found the cancer. Since then, we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate
Ranges due to insurance
N/a - not there yet

1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic itself feels well organized considering the volume of patients they serve. At times I felt like it was a cattle call with the other women who were coming in for their routine early morning blood work and ultrasound appointments, but that comes with the territory when your'e working with a large clinic. Most of the time they got me in and out within 30 minutes for my morning appointments. Additionally, the clinic itself is a beautiful space, and the views overlooking lake michigan with soft music playing definitely make the experience more pleasant.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Northwestern Fertility Clinic is a large practice, which means you deal with lots of different people throughout the process, from multiple nurses, to schedulers, to financial advisors, to psychologists, to doctors who are on call the day of your procedures. It is not guaranteed your doctor will perform your retrievals or transfers. Overall, I had a positive experience with NFC, and with Dr. Barnes. I am in the midst of my treatments still, so I am not able to speak to my results yet... that is still to be determined! Also, in the midst of my treatment, and after several appointments with Dr. Barnes, I received a letter from Northwestern letting me know that he was retiring. So, in the midst of my treatments, I was left without a doctor and had to switch to a different doctor in the practice. My husband and I were surprised that this was never mentioned to us during multiple appointments with Barnes or with the nurses. It seemed like something they should tell us, so we could've started the process with a different doctor verses being caught off guard. This was my biggest critique of working with the NW Fertility clinic thus far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is now retired from Northwestern Fertility Clinic.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
I took 300 units of Folistim and 150 units of Menopur for 5 days, and then started a daily shot of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Day 10 I took my trigger shot and went in 36 hours later for my ET. 7 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized. I also thawed my 18 frozen eggs, 11 which fertilized. Overall, 15 eggs fertilzed and we are now waiting for our results on day 5 blastocyst stage, after which the remaining blastocysts will be biopsied and sent for PGD testing.
Morning appointments were an open window from 6:45-7:45am. Some mornings the wait was longer than others. My shortest appointment time was around 20 minutes, and my longest was 45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine.
Luckily my insurance covers this process.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
My doctor strongly steered us toward eSET, although I had my heart set on transferring 2 embryos. He explained that due to complications from multiples, the best practice now is to recommend an eSET.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine.

2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.

15 Eggs Frozen
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
15 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine.
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.

5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] out of pocket (roughly $18,000)...Northwestern has great facilities both in the city and in Highland Park. Only Dr. Feinberg sees patients in Highland Park, so the office is pretty quiet, which is nice. The downtown office is busier and a few of the blood draw and ultrasound techs are not friendly, and a little friendliness goes a long way when you are getting poked in the arm and during a transvaginal ultrasound...I got to know Laura [nurse] after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
My husband and I had periodic appointments with Dr. Feinberg at Northwestern at various points in treatment. We felt that she provided thorough information (and I ask a lot of questions) and spent good time with us. Her nurse that we worked with (Laura) was good about follow-through. I felt that our treatment plan was customized to us and not just a one-size-fits-all approach.
I got to know Laura after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg. Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success. I know Dr. Feinberg also works with women who want to freeze their eggs, and I've referred a few friends to her who are interested in this option. I've sought complementary treatment from many other professionals (acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, therapists) and all of them consistently say that Dr. Feinberg is the best. I'm hopeful that we will have success with donor eggs in the next few months with her.
Dr. Feinberg books up far in advance, so I recommend making a follow up appointment around when you know your next cycle will end, so you can meet with her to discuss a plan if pregnancy does not occur.
We did protocols for diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), using estrogen pill or patch priming and then microdose lupron. She gave me the highest dose of Menopur and Follistim, but I only produced a few eggs at 2 retrievals. We tried for a third round of IVF, but I wasn't responding, so we converted to IUI. Dr. Feinberg made it clear that IVF/IUI are not necessarily the best treatment for DOR, and trying on our own was a fine option and that treatment may not be help. I appreciated this perspective.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle out of pocket (roughly $18,000), In 2017 our round of IVF and a few IUIs were covered by insurance- thank god! It's ridiculously expensive.
For our first transfer, we only had one egg to transfer. For the second transfer, we had 2 and we transferred both. Looking back, I think we should have frozen them and transferred one at a time in following months after my body had calmed down a bit. I was ok with possibly having twins, but with the perspective I have now, transferring one at a time is best for the baby and the mother. Dr. Feinberg has written about this here: http://garnetnews.com/2017/03/12/twins-not-necessarily-double-blessing/
Chicago

monitoring [at Northwestern Medicine] was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call... we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available. was very thoughtful and careful during transfer. laughed at my jokes :)
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
I felt like Dr. Robins was accessible, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. he answered all our questions and never made us feel like they were stupid questions. he was genuinely excited for our success when it occurred and did all our post-implantation ultrasounds before we graduated to the regular OB. shared data in frank, accessible ways and made me feel confident that his goal was the same as ours. When asked about things like acupuncture, he said "look, we want you to get pregnant as soon as possible. if there was any evidence that anything improves those odds, we'd make (strongly advise, provide in the clinic) you do it - of course because we want you to be successful, but also because our success as a practice relies on our success rates, so we're going to do whatever it takes for our own self-interest as well." that made me feel really confident that he was being open and honest with us, as well as knowing that we were both invested in our success. It's great for a doctor to want you to be happy, but I liked knowing that he felt like he had a professional stake in it as well.
don't be afraid to ask all your questions - he'll give you the research behind why he's choosing a certain protocol
I was 34 at the time and we had male factor, with no indications/diagnosis that I should have any trouble. we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test. for the retrieval cycle, he used a long lupron protocol, which is his standard for a presumably healthy woman under 35. I used lupron, menopur, and follistim, at lower doses than a friend of mine who had diminished ovarian reserve but was also on the long lupron protocol. he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility. 13 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 5 embryos (grade 1, which was the best) fresh transfer of a single embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test frozen transfer of a single embryo (after sitting out a cycle to get my estrogen down) resulted in a live birth.
monitoring was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to my age and the quality of our embryos, since multiple pregnancies are riskier for both mom and babies. he told me "statistically, the embryos you have are going to be the number of babies they are going to be. if you transfer them in multiples vs single, it just speeds up the answer, but doesn't change it"
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.

Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I've been really disappointed in this clinic overall. Everything feels disorganized. I've had issues with the check-in desk, the financial coordinators have provided incorrect information, and I don't find the nursing staff warm or knowledgable. Many times, the ultrasound techs don't even introduce themselves. Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary. I don't need someone to tell me this is going to be a stressful experience. Based upon my experiences, I don't think I will continue to seek treatment here.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it
The nursing staff here is terrible. They are cold and frankly, don't seem particularly knowledgable. On multiple occasions, I've received incorrect information from them. Furthermore, I understand that people are allowed to get pregnant, but I think it's particularly insensitive to have a pregnant nurse interacting with infertility patients.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
While I like Dr. Kazer, there are many physicians at this practice, and so decisions regarding my treatment plan have not always been made by him. I'm not confident that they reviewed my chart prior to making their recommendations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
He has a dry sense of humor
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
So far we are doing medicated IUI cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine.
IUI's are $585 Parking is $11 Psych Consult was $375 HSG was $1092 Each ultrasound is $286 Each day of labs are $$251
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
unknown
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine.

While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.
Chicago

Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
How was your experience with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
Just to go to her in the first place!
Describe the protocols Christina E Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Describe Christina E Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine.

2013 - 2017
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.
Chicago

I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up.

1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.

2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Medicine.

3 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine] is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!... Amazing facility! Super clean and the technology is all up to date! There is never more than 3 people in the waiting room, you truly feel like a patient and not just a number here!
3 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding. The office she works at has state of the art equipment. I never have felt rushed or confused working with her, she made a plan and I am currently under treatment!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura W.)
The nursing staff is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
She is a wonderful dr. Being that she also has gone though infertility she can related to her patients. She is a good listener and always has a plan of how to move forward. She treated me on the spot for one of my apts. that was not even scheduled.
Ask her anything and she will have an answer or get you one, she's great!
I had been treated at a different dr for over a year and was not getting any results that were helpful. Dr. Fineburg was positive that she could get more then 8 /9 eggs retrieved (at my prior dr office in which only 4 out of both cycles made it and none resulted in pregnancy) and she did! I got 22 in which 8 made it. I did a fresh transfer and still was not pregnant. I am currently waiting on my ERA results to see if my implanting window needs to be adjusted.
$900 for ERA $1,500 for hystroscope $1,600 for retrieval
This is a conversation we had together and Dr. Fineburg listen and ultimately let my husband and I choose.
Chicago

The nursing staff [Northwestern Med] was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI....Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends....The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff....Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strengths: Academic institution, good results, high quality, seamless process (runs like a well-oiled machine). The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff. They're always cheery and friendly, which is helpful during a stressful time. Weakness: Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself. The early morning monitoring appointments are great for working women, but it can sometimes feel like you're being shuffled from lab to ultrasound and then waiting for a nurse to meet with you or contact you (for IVF they would call me later that morning). Above all, advocate for yourself. Do not be afraid to ask questions or push for a specific protocol if you think it will help.
I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses. There are a lot of patients at this clinic, which can make you feel like a number, especially during early morning monitoring appointments. However, all of my nurses were wonderful about communicating with me directly and responding to my questions quickly.
The nursing staff was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Barnes was great for our initial and IVF consults. He answered our questions clearly (and there were a lot!) and was prompt with follow-up questions I sent through the patient portal. I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols, but ultimately I think we would have ended up doing IVF anyway.
Advocate for yourself! Ask questions and make sure you are clear on answers.
For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days. On day 15 I added 10 units of Lupron, which I stayed on through my stimulation phase. I began 150 units of Follistim and 150 units of Menopur on day 2 of my cycle. From there I stayed on the same dose for 13 days, along with the 10 units of Follistim. On day 13 I decreased the Lupron to 5 units and added the Ovidrel trigger. Egg retrieval was scheduled for day 15. 12 eggs were retrieved, with 11 being mature. 8 fertilized normally with ICSI. On day 3 we went in for transfer and still had 8 growing. We transferred two 8-cell embryos and on day 6 two were still growing and were then frozen. I tested positive 7 days after my transfer and had my beta 10 days post transfer. A week and a half after my positive beta I went in for an ultrasound where we saw one gestational sac; a week later we saw one fetus and the heartbeat. Our daughter was born in February 2017 at full term.
Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends. Only once was there a line out the door in the five months I worked with this clinic. The other mornings it was a breeze to check in, wait to be called for lab/ultrasound, meet with nurse (for IUI only), and then make a new appointment or head to work to wait for more information pending lab results (IVF). It's a well oiled machine.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think our meds were around $2700 (with insurance) and most of our procedures were covered by insurance. In the end I think we spent around $2K toward procedures, including embryo freezing, which was not covered by my insurance.
Dr. Barnes pushed SET and advised against transferring multiple embryos. We felt more comfortable with two and we were OK with the possibility of multiples. He was out of the office the day of the transfer and his chief, Dr. Jared Robins, did our transfer with one of the fellows (Dr. Okeigwe). Dr. Robins suggested transferring two embryos based on quality and my age. Be advised that Dr. Barnes will try to push you toward SET.
Chicago

There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone], but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor, but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
She was very cold and didn't have a good bedside manner. At one point, I thought I had miscarried and went into the office for a checkup. We heard the heartbeat, but didn't know what it was - my husband had to ask to confirm that all looked OK, and she replied with a short, "yes". I started crying, and she didn't acknowledge it. It just seemed a bit callous and not the right response. I would have expected her to tell us as soon as she knew everything looked OK, and possibly to offer some reassuring words (or at least a tissue). In previous meetings, she had also been very short. She answered our questions, but seemed distant. I just figured that's how it was, until I met some of the other doctors who were way more understanding and empathetic (through appointments for embryo transfers and retrievals...it is just done by the doctor in the office that day, not necessarily your own doctor).
The nursing staff was fine. Because of the way they were set up, you didn't really get to know any of them. They required only phone conversations or messages - no email. They also each worked on different days...so of the 3 nurses, one worked M,W,F and one worked T,W,Th, etc. It was hard to remember which worked when and each had separate lines, so if you needed to reach someone that day, it was annoying because if I called one that wasn't working that day, I would just have to call back and leave a message for another. They were responsive though and and usually called back within 4 hours.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
She was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, and one appointment after to check-in before she released us to an OBGYN. This was through 4 rounds of IVF, so it seemed like we didn't really know her or she us.
She is blunt, expect that. Come with questions if you care about the intricate details of your treatment.
I don't remember.
It was kind of like a cattle call, but I actually liked how efficient it was.
My insurance paid for it.
She told us about SET and seemed to want us to choose that. We didn't, and she didn't seem to care. Although she didn't really seem to care about us, so it isn't that surprising.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic [Northwestern Medicine] called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic...The nursing staff was great at this facility...The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy, it almost seemed like a baby-mill.
I was doing timed intercourse with letrozole to induce ovulation. I rarely ever saw Dr. Barnes. I only saw him for my initial visit and once I was pregnant and ready to go in for an ultrasound. When I did go in for an ultrasound and it was determined that he could not see anything on the ultrasound, he told me I could have a tubal pregnancy and that they would call with more information the next day. I did not hear from them for days, despite my trying to contact them on my own. I was worried that if it was tubal, I was at risk of my fallopian tube bursting and losing it. Only when I had my OBGYN get in touch with the office did they ask for me to come in for another ultrasound, but Dr. Barnes did not see me - another Dr. in the office did. This is when they told me they did not think it was a tubal pregnancy, but I did, in fact, miscarry for the 2nd time. I felt like, because I was not an IVF patient but rather on the timed intercourse/medicated cycle, I was not worth his time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Neive Hanak)
The nursing staff was great at this facility. Without them, this place would seem like nothing but a baby-mill.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Barnes did not seem interested in actually seeing me as a patient or making sure that I was taken care of. I only saw him for the initial consultation and then once I was finally pregnant (before miscarrying). Once he determined that I was likely miscarrying and could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, he fell off the radar and left me hanging without confirming if I did or did not have a tubal pregnancy.
I am unsure of how Dr. Barnes is as an IVF doctor, but if you are going to see him for anything less, I would be prepared to see very little of him.
In my initial consultation, Dr. Barnes' assistant doctor diagnosed me with PCOS based on my ultrasound. (I had gone a significant amount of time without menstruating). I then met with Dr. Barnes and he determined that I should start on letrozole to encourage follicle growth, then once I had sufficient follicles, I would take a trigger shot to induce ovulation. I was able to get pregnant twice, but miscarried both times. I do believe that the treatment strategy was effective an appropriate.

2013 - 2016
[Northwestern Med] Strengths-early morning hours, efficient, beautiful location, prompt responses. Weaknesses- expensive parking (even with discount), not a lot of individual attention, didn't feel as if they knew me or my story at all. Overall I have had a good experience, but not exceptional. It may be different when going through IVF...They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated...
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
There wasn't a lot of one on one attention to our particular story. It felt like, 'well this is how we do things so let's try it.' There wasn't a lot of investigating the why.
They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated. The downside was that it was often clear that they didn't review my chart before seeing me and needed me to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my treatment. There was no continuity of care as I saw a new RN almost each time. I didn't feel like they knew me or my story.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
He was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us.
Come with lots of questions ready.
We have unexplained infertility and got pregnant the first IUI + 50 mg clomid + trigger shot cycle. When we returned 3 years later, we tried this again twice. Then after no success, we tried same protocol with 100 mg clomid (to increase the follicles) for 2 more times. No luck so far. We are currently deciding whether or not to do one final IUI or proceed to IVF.
Covered by insurance, so I am not sure of the costs (paid deductible).
Chicago

I felt that the IVF Coordinators [at Northwestern Medicine's Fertility Clinic] could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday...The new office space and lab are amazing - very state of the art. I like that they are open 7 days a week and that there is a doctor always on call for any emergent need. The monitoring runs smoothly and quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
She has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of our fertility care to both me and my husband and returned my calls promptly when she could (i.e. wasn't in the operating room or seeing other patients in clinic).
I felt that the IVF Coordinators could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and knows that data behind the most recent theories in fertility care. In being on this road for as long as we have, unfortunately, I've done a lot of reading and gotten A LOT of 'advice' from people who really think they understand fertility better than specialists. No matter what crazy thing I brought to Dr. Pavone, she always took time to discuss peer-reviewed literature and why something made sense or didn't make sense.
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, typically we've used max doses of gonadotropins and I've actually responded fairly well for what would be expected. I've also tried DHEA, Co-Q 10, various other supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture - have pretty much tried it all. Dr. Pavone always discussed these with me and most importantly went over the benefits and risks.
I felt like this clinic is a well-oiled machine in the mornings. There are certainly some patients who complain a lot about having to do any waiting but I felt that if you got there somewhat early, you would get in and out in good time.
Fortunately, our insurance has covered all of our procedures. We've only had to pay copays for procedures and medications.
Chicago

Northwestern has a beautiful new office and seem to have a smooth operation to get people in and out. However, they don't treat anyone as individuals, just as another woman coming in and out. They seem to have a 1 size fits all mentality and just try the same plan on everyone based on a study. They do not go above and beyond in any way. Whether its new treatment options, showing support or getting more insight into why pregnancy is not successful. I have a feeling they show more interest in IVF cases. If you are just starting out on your journey, don't come here first.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I had to remind the doctor and nurses of my case, my test results each time we talked. I felt like when I didn't, they gave me generic answers or "studies show" answers.
At NW, you don't have one or two nurses. You deal with whoever is on staff at that time. The nurses work with all the doctors and I saw about 4-5 different nurses over the course of my time. Some of the nurses are better than others. Catherine and Neieve were pretty good -- they showed compassion and explained my situation. Jeannette (I think) was awful. She always seemed rushed, she never knew the specifics of my case and she was not compassionate whatsoever. I dreaded seeing her there on the days I had an ultrasound. The primary form of communication is via MyChart messages. This seems great but the nurses don't answer any questions with detail.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and does everything by the book. I met her during my initial visit and then did not see her again, however, we did speak on the phone. Dr. Pavone seems to be socially awkward. Like she wants to say something but then censors herself and reverts to only using clinical language to answer a question. She does not think outside of the box and would only consider one approach with my case. When I had asked for additional bloodwork or supplements to take her response was "sure, if you want to". I really just wanted her opinion based on her experience rather than what a study said. She may have too many patients or just not enough experience.
Do your own research and don't expect her to find creative solutions. Always ask to talk to her over the phone -- she is very short over email.
During my first appointment, Dr. Pavone quickly diagnosed me with PCOS based on one ultrasound and 3 long cycles. This diagnosis took me by surprise as I have never had any hormonal issues. She quickly moved forward with her plan. 3 cycles of letrozole (better for women with PCOS) and timed intercourse, 3 cycles of letrozole and IUI, and if those were unsuccessful, move on to IVF. I ended up doing 5 rounds of letrzole and timed intercourse because I missed ovulation (I ovulated before day 14) twice. Despite not ever trying IUI, she said she would advise only one cycle of IUI then moving to IVF. At this point, being only 30 and feeling like it was moving too quickly, I sought out a 2nd opinion.
Insurance covered just about everything. For 10+ ultrasounds, HSG test, 10+ bloodwork panels, I've paid about $150.
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strengths - well located, clean and gorgeous. Excellent nursing and doctor staff. Weaknesses - dealt with some billing errors which were slow to be corrected, sometimes waiting room staff could be a little ornery (which I can hardly blame them for, dealing with 10s to 100s of anxious ladies a day)....The way the clinic is run, you will not see Dr. Robins too often, but he is overseeing your care. He is blunt but honest and will work to get you the results you desire. He has a huge knowledge base and always makes you feel as if you are in good hands.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Felt like he cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner.
The nurses were fabulous. They were compassionate and kind and prompt with responding. They never let questions go unanswered. It was a bit harder to get a hold of the IVF nurse, though I think she was extremely busy, and she always got in touch within a reasonable amount of time.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
I felt Dr. Robins was very candid and honest with me, which I appreciated. He felt our prognosis was good, which made me feel hopeful. Though I did not see him as often as I saw other providers in his clinic, he always responded to calls promptly when I wanted to speak with him and made me feel cared for.
First did workup, established that I had PCOS and my husband had a low sperm count. Once we had these results, immediately started me on femara for ovulation regulation, and started IUIs to increase the chances of husband's sperm getting to egg. Unfortunately we had no pregnancies after 3 IUIs. Once we had tried IUI 3 times we advanced to IVF (which Dr. Robins said we would likely need from the get-go, though he was pleased w/ my response to femara and my husbands counts so he felt several trials of IUI were appropriate). For IVF I was started on Menopur and Cetrotide, which I responded well to. Used ovidrel once the eggs were ready. Also as Dr. Robins predicted, I responded very well to low doses of these medications. We became pregnant with a single embryo fresh transfer at 5 days. We still have 3 frozen embryos in the clinic.
It was a bit of a cattle call experience, though there are so many u/s techs that generally the wait was pretty short.
Costs were minimal, was largely covered by insurance, with copays. Overall I think we spent under $2000 (several things werent covered, ie embryo freezing)
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
[Northwest Fertility] is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
Dr. Robins was my third dr. He was my second dr at Northwestern. He looked at my history and thought outside of the box to Taylor a protocol that worked for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb And Joyce )
My original nurse left the clinic in May of 2015. The other nurse I felt comfortable with is compassionate and is helpful most times.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work. He returns my calls and welcomes me to call him on his cell phone. I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
Be clear and direct because he can ramble off his thoughts when answering your questions and the you leave the coversation feeling like you never got an answer
My main issue was scar tissue in the uterine cavity and developing a thick uterine lining. Dr. Robins put me on Lupron and estrogen patches leading up to transfer and the results were good each cycle.
Donor cycle was roughly $16,000 IUI was covered by insurance. Frozen embryo transfers were between $5-$6k hysteroscopies laparoscopy HSG MRI were all covered by insurance.
Chicago

It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication....One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
it's a new clinic, so it's state of the art and has a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. The phlebotomists are friendly and so are the US techs, but you are not allowed to ask the techs anything about what they see on the US (also, you are not allowed to see the US screen when they're doing your US---how awkward!). It does run pretty smoothly, though, and you can be out of there by 7:30a if you have to go in for monitoring. It can feel a little like a cattle call, though, b/c women start lining up in the hallway before it opens and you are standing in line with a bunch of women whose hormones are raging and you're all pissed that you're waiting. I think if they just opened the doors and let people come sit in the waiting room, it would feel more civilized.
It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication. While monitoring, when you get your ultrasounds at Northwestern, the US techs are NOT allowed to discussed the ultrasound with you at all, so you have to awkwardly have your vagina probed by someone when you're dying to know if your follicles are progressing or not, but instead, you have to wait about 5-6 hours for a nurse who has never met you to give you your update. That part is very dehumanizing. Dr. Pavone, however, was more humane and if I had a question for her, she would attempt to answer it, although her written communication skills are very frustrating. and it often felt like she hadn't even read or comprehended my questions. Via phone or in person, she was much better, though, and I was satisfied with her answers. One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
There was a high turnover with the nursing staff---some of them were great, but then I also had a couple who clearly didn't know how ovulation and the hormones were related (ie, checking progesterone the day of ovulation isn't actually going to show you anything b/c it won't have risen by then, but the nurse insisted on doing it anyways). One nurse clearly was in a bad mood when doing my IUI (they do all the IUIs at Northwestern---not the docs) which was really awkward. Half the time, they didn't know why I was there and I'd have to tell them, since they didn't seem to keep notes in the charts. Also, you have to play phone tag all the time b/c they never actually answer the phone, so you have to leave a message to call back and then hope you are able to answer it when they do.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
I actually liked Dr. Pavone initially quite a bit and found her good at accepting suggestions and letting me pursue some more testing that a second opinion doctor had given me when we weren't making progress. She was open to trying knew things, up to a point, but we finally had to move on when she refused to try any other protocols and was convinced we should be moving onto DE (donor egg). I have DOR and was responding poorly to her protocols----she tried EPP with high doses of follistim/menopur and threw in ganirelix at the end, and when two rounds of that yielded very low follicles, she then tried clomid, followed by follistim/menopur/ganirelix when I commented on how I seemed to respond much better to clomid than I did all the expensive injectables. I did better on the clomid, but still not that great, yet she wouldn't try anything else, not even a micro-dose lupron protocol. If we wanted to proceed with her, it would have to be with the clomid protocol, which could only be done a few times due to limits on clomid exposure, and even then, she was pushing us to consider DE or adoption, which we had told her wasn't an option for us at this time. I do think that compared to the other docs at NW, she's one of the best and she's the most liberal (besides Dr. Marsh) and aggressive. She just gave up on my quicker than I think she should have, especially since I am only 37 (young for IVF, I keep being told).
Be proactive and keep doing your own research. She is not going to give lots of suggestions or think outside the box for you, but is open to trying things if you want to (ie, she let me have a laparoscopy after my 3rd failed attempt at ER when I asked about it and also did a huge panel of immunology testing at my request even though I hadn't had recurring miscarriages---I wanted testing b/c I wanted information preemptively in case it could prevent a miscarriage should we ever get pregnant).
for IUIs---clomid CDs 2-6 and then ovidrel trigger, used ultrasound monitoring. IVFs---1st and 2nd attempts, did estrogen priming then started follistim/menopur once menses started, then added in ganirelix towards the end. Pavone felt this was the best approach for women with DOR. Both of these cycles yielded very low follicle development; 2 mature eggs the first round, and then the second was converted to IUI (and only then b/c I insisted I wasn't wasting an insurance-covered ER on 1-2 follicles). First round had nothing to transfer. Obviously BFNs both those rounds 3rd and 4th IVF attempts: clomid 150mg CD 2-5, then added on follistim/menopur/saizen/ganirelix. Better follicle recruitment, 3rd round poor egg quality, but 4th round, finally with 3 perfect embryos to transfer. For the 4th attempt, it should be noted that I had started to use a ton of antioxidant supplements recommended by a 2nd opinion RE and had also started seeing a chinese medicine practitioner and was using chinese herbs and acupuncture weekly). BFNs both those rounds. Pavone like the response to clomid and didn't want to change anything up if we proceeded with her.
See earlier comment about the clinic. Monitoring hours are 7a-7:45 M-F and 8a-8:30 on Sat/Sun. If you weren't there before 7 and standing in line, it could take up to an hour to get out, but it's faster than trying to get monitoring done at FCI.
IUIs were about $1200 each with the ultrasounds, meds, and actual insemination. IVFs were covered under insurance once I changed plans, but would've been 8-9K for the package, not including medicine costs. Office visits were $250-350 and the labs were expensive, too, since they were through Northwestern.

Anovulation, Unexplained
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse [at Northwest Medicine] named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
Her clinic staff never remembered me, Dr pavone did not remember my name, look me in the eye or care about me.
The nurses treated patients like a herd of cattle trying to rush us through. They acted like I was bothering them when I called. They even forgot about me in a waiting room for 4 hours.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
I was referred to Dr. Pavone by a co-worker who had a good experience with her. I unfortunately did not have a single positive interaction with her and regret not switching doctors sooner. I understand that infertility is a very indepth and complicated area of medicine to practice. I respect doctors that can be blunt and straightforward, but also appreciate empathy and heartfelt support. Dr. Pavone acted like a robot at each appointment. She never asked how I was feeling or asked for my opinion. Because I suffered from eating disorders in the past, I felt that Dr. Pavone blamed me for my infertility problems. While they may have contributed to it, I went into early menopause at 25 and that was unrelated to any previous issue I had. Dr. Pavone did do an HSG to check for issues but should have also checked my uterus with a hysteroscopy, but she didn’t. Because of that, I had three unsuccessful medicated IUI’s that never could have worked because of polyps and scar tissue on my uterus. I believe Dr. Pavone was quick to write off many of my symptoms and didn’t look into things as much as she should have. She decided on a route of treatment very quickly and didn’t seem to take my opinions or that of previous doctors into account. I was a poor responder to my first round of medication. She upped my Menopur dosage so much and so quickly that I suffered from ovarian hyper stimulation. I called her office for days saying I was in a lot of pain and she said it was normal and brushed off my complaints. I finally told a nurse I needed to be seen and they said they would try to squeeze me in. I ended up waiting for 4 hours in the waiting room before they remembered I was there. Dr. Pavone was not apologetic about my wait. Once she realized how swollen my ovaries were, she did apologize but didn’t change my dosage.
I would never recommend that anyone work with Dr. Pavone. However, if they decided to, I would recommend that they act as a strong advocate for themselves. I wish I had stood up to Dr. Pavone and fought for myself. Dr. Pavone is very quick to make judgements and is not very open to other opinions. She does not care about her patients on an emotional level, so someone who needs a caring doctor should not work with Dr. Pavone.
She did 3 medicated IUIs and upped my dosage each time. She never did a scan of my uterus. Had she done so, she would have known that polyps and scar tissue blocked an embryo from implanting
Chicago

The clinic is poorly run. Too few nurses, too many patients, and no means of effective communication. Direct phone numbers and emails of nurses and doctors are not provided. Good luck getting through to anyone. When you get a negative result or your period, be prepared to not know what is going to happen next month in terms of any adjustments to medications or your protocol. You have to track them down to find out, but again, good luck getting through.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine?
I had no point of contact and I always got different nurses who didn't remember me or know my case.
You are just a number and they are overworked and stressed out. They made me feel bad for being anxious and worried. They seemed annoyed by my questions.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Medicine?
How was your experience with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Marsh is friendly and seemed very knowledgeable, but the appointments felt rushed. My biggest issue with her was there no protocol in place for what to do when I got a negative pregnancy test. It was me who had to call the clinic frantic that my period had started and I didn't know what meds to take for the upcoming month.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine?
Be prepared to never be able to reach her. You can only directly call the 2 gatekeepers (receptionists) whose sole function is to take a message to pass it on to a nurse. Get ready to have your phone with you at all times so when the nurse calls you back 48 hours later you answer. If you don't answer, you have to start the process all over again of first calling the gatekeepers. The one time I asked for Dr Marsh specifically it took her 2 weeks to call me back because she was in Italy, but the staff never let me know there would be a delay.
Describe the protocols Erica Marsh used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 3 months of IUIs with chomid or femara. She suggested doing 3 months of IUIs before IVF mainly because insurance requires it. She admitted if chlomid doesn't work in the first few months it probably won't work. She was very knowledgeable. Were going to move on to IVF but I switched before then because Northwestern had a low success rate for IVF for women aged 38-39.
Erica Marsh
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours)... You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
The NW office is EXTREMLY busy. You are given a number for every appointment in order to get labs and ultrasound. I saw Dr Barnes maybe 3 tiems during my care, though if he was available and in the office, I was able to request a visit. The nurses, particularly Amy, were kind and sensitivie. The IVF nurses on the other hand were impossible to get in touch with. I would leave messages and not get a call back for days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joan)
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours). These are hormonal sensitive women these nurses are dealing with on an everyday basis. You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr Barnes is incredibly warm as a person, though is bedside manner is a bit old school. I felt that once I had 1 failed cycle, my protocol was not changed prior to my second cycle. In between my 2 cycles, he discovered I had anemia. Anemia is perhaps the FIRST thing that should be tested for anytime you give blood so it was frustrating that it took an entire IVF cycle to discover this. Due to the anemia, Dr Branes wanted to do further testing to rule out internal bleeding since I showed no signs of anemia. This resulted in a colonoscopy and endoscopy which both came back clear. From there, Dr Barnes didnt have any other explanations as to why my first cycle failed so we moved forward with my second cycle - which also resulted in an early miscarriage. After 2 failed cycles I decided to move on to another clinic. We transfered our 1 frozen embryo when we left.
Be your own advocate. This would be my advice with any Dr, but especially with doctors at NW who barely know your name let alone your case.
I started my protocol with 3 months of timed intercourse on Clomid. Each month resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I then moved onto IUI. The first 3 cycles were on Clomid. Each resulted in a negative test. Each month on Clomid Dr Barnes bumped up my dosage, yet I only had 1 or 2 viable follicles each month. After 3 cycles of IUI on Clomid and little reaction, Dr Barnes put me on Femara. We did 2 cycles on Femara, both resulting in a negative pregnancy test. Dr Barnes wanted me to do a 6th cycle of IUI, but we insisted we move to IVF. We did our first round of IVF which resulted in 2 quality embryos. My husband and I had decided in advance of our fresh transfer that we wanted to put 2 embryos in, however at NW their Dr's rotate and on the day of my transfer, a Dr Kazer was on rotation. He came into the room prior to transfer to confirm we had 2 viable embryos and when we let him know we wanted to transfer both, he basically used his scare tactics to force us into only putting in 1 embryo. I feel like this is a result of both his bedside manner, and the fact that NW does not like multiple pregnancies and look down upon transferring more than one embryo. We felt almost bullied and defeated and when I got pregnant, then quickly had a miscarriage, we regretted not following our hearts and transferring two. During our second IVF cycle, we insisted they allow us to transfer two. Again, Dr Barnes was not the Dr that did the procedure. This time it was Dr Robins who also tried to convince us to transfer one, but we stuck to our guns and transferred 2. Dr Robins is also a fan of 3-day transfers which did not sit right with me, but at the time of transfer, being hormonal and vulnerable, unfortunately you often listen to the Drs as opposed to following your gut.
Cattle call with numbers
IVF was $10k per cycle. IUI was $700. This was the out of pocket (cash) cost.

2005 - 2011
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work...The nurses were so friendly. With the multiple visits, they were always so friendly and kind. They seemed like friends by the time the process was over...We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
2005 - 2011
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work.
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me. I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Kazer was kind and compassionate. He was upfront with all information clearly set objectives. He was confident and professional while maintaining a good bedside manner. He always returned phone calls and called with test results himself.
Make an appointment with him. He knows his profession and is an amazing doctor.
With my son, we used clomid first to stimulate growth. We then moved on to IUI. Again we used clomid and injections to release the eggs. We had 3 IUI resulting in 1 single successful pregnancy. When I went back to see Dr. Kazer to conceive again, we went directly to IUI. Clomid and an injection to release eggs. After one failed IUI, we began the IVF process. I cannot remember the drug names. I used some hormonal injections to grow eggs. We did the retrieval and progesterone shots following. I had 2 single transfers of embryos and then transferred 2 embryos resulting in multiple(twin) pregnancy.
It was very efficient. Hours of availability made the process easier.
My insurance covered most everything. We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Dr. Kazer gave me the choice for the eSET and then recommended the multiple embryo transfer when the 2 eSET were unsuccessful

2003 - 2010
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Loved that [Norwthestern Fertility] was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins...As a strength for me was [Dr Confino's] complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
2003 - 2010
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Loved that is was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine?
He took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine.
I became very familiar with my care coordinator/nurse. She had to deliver bad news to me on several occasions. She was available, called when she said and was compassionate when the news was bad and excited for me when it was moving in the right direction.
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine?
As a strength for me was his complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine?
Ask how many Confino babies there are - so many.... If you don't like direct, use another doctor. If you are mater a fact he's a super fit.
Describe the protocols Edmond Confino used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with oral meds to stimulate ovulation results. We quickly detected a cyst on an ovary that was going to be drained. Upon consult with another doctor there was concern of cancer. It was removed via laperscopic surgery when Stage 4 endometrious was discovered. That accelerated treatment after healing into IVF. One IVF process was successful for a couple weeks before miscarriage. We then took time under medical process to suppress my system (mini-menopause) so we might have a better shot at the next round of IVF. That healing and suppressing journey added time. From there we tried one more time on IVF and just could not produce viable eggs that could sustain. This far into the journey we were open to the idea of egg donation. We interviewed two companies and begin that new journey. Our first donor was rejected by the clinic on the day of extraction because she admitted to smoking. We were heart broken and had to start over. We would have used her eggs but the clinic has strict expectations. Our next donor and implantation was success - 2 in and 2 out.
It was handled very efficiently in my opinion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine.
Don't really recall. It was very expensive and by the time we hit the 3rd round we were at the ceiling of our coverage. They enabled me to turn in my unused meds as a credit towards the donor process.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine.

Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
How was your experience with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.
Chicago

The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated. ... Monitoring occurred in the very early morning ... I loved our primary nurse, Kelsey. She was SO quick to respond and available, and was an excellent point person for our care.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated.
I think Dr. Feinberg did a good job of being present emotionally when the situation called for it. The clinic is very efficiently run, which may make some feel like they are being treated like a number, but I really appreciated the efficiency.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel)
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg did a very good job explaining everything as we went through the process. She was great at being available for in-person consultations or phone calls when things weren't going well, and took the time to make sure all our questions were answered.
Trust her, she knows what she's doing. :)
We tried several different strategies over the course of our treatment. I felt like Dr. Feinberg did a good job of adjusting the strategy to our situation over time.
Monitoring occurred in the very early morning, which was tough on me, but they were very efficient and well-run.
I was lucky, my costs were covered by my husband's insurance.
Dr. Feinberg had some opinions to offer on this topic, but in our case was very open to what we wanted, which was single embryo transfers.
Chicago

My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
How was your experience with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.
Chicago

They [Northwestern Medicine] are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice...From the front desk staff to the technicians to the nurses, the team is kind and efficient. I never felt like a number even though the practice is extremely busy all the time...
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
They are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice
He always knew all the details of my specific case when we spoke -- without needing to stare at my chart. He always personally called back when I left messages and never rushes me off the phone (or out of the room). It felt like he's even keep the conversation going intentionally so I could have time to remember and ask all my questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Staci)
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Medicine?
I have had great experiences with Dr Robins. He is both blunt and kind. I appreciate that he explains everything in detail and his advice is grounded in scientific evidence. He was so supportive and always reachable. He paitently, thoughtfully and thoroughly answered all my questions. Plus he was always reachable, even if it meant he had to call us back at 9pm from his cell phone at a conference!
Don't be afraid to ask questions
I don't recall the specifics. We did two fresh IVF cycles, the second resulting in a pregnancy. We just came back for a frozen cycle using PIO, Endometrin and Estrace, and I am currently pregnant.
They strongly encourage eSET when appropriate for the patient and explain the medical rationale behind it.
Chicago

They [Northwestern Med] know what they are doing and have a strong process. They see a lot of patients so you won't always get the personal attention you might want...I like the nursing staff but wish I had a primary nurse through the whole process. I interacted with a lot of different nurses there...Make sure you ask lots of questions and understand every fully during all procedures. Get support from a therapist or a support group from the beginning of your fertility treatments! I wish the doctors and staff had talked to me about this from my first appointment...
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
They know what they are doing and have a strong process. They see a lot of patients so you won't always get the personal attention you might want.
This was not Dr. Barnes fault, but I did my first IUI with his office. I didn't know what to expect, so after the insemination they told me to wait for 10 minutes on the table. I thought they would let me know when 10 minutes was up and I didn't have a watch or a phone. No one came in so after 45 minutes I got up still not really sure how much time had passed. Northwestern is a really busy clinic so I did feel like a number sometimes.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is a nice man, but I have always preferred female doctors. It was hard to get an appointment and he was the only one available when I could come in. He seems a little shy so I had trouble talking to him at times, especially after the miscarriage. He is very competent and knowledgeable.
I did one IUI with him with 50 mg of Clomid.
Insurance covered almost all of it luckily.
Chicago

All staff at NM [Northwestern Medicine] were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!...I think the clinic is great! It was easy to schedule all tests and procedures. They were really flexible with timing. I could see results pretty fast on my online account (which was great as well.)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good. He called personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I don't remember her name)
All staff at NM were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine?
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good/comfortable. He would call personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.) He was positive/optimistic but at the same time tried to be realistic.
Talk to your doctor; tell him your preference; work together as a team...
I had some blood work done first; then they checked my tubes and uterus to make sure I didn't have any issues there. I wanted to try first anything possible without hormones/drugs. So Doctor understood and worked with me. We did our first IUI without any hormones and it worked from the first time.
I don't remember plus my health insurance covers most of it

2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
She [nurse at Northwestern] seemed very busy, wasn't great at walking us through protocols and would be very curt with me when I had questions. I was kind of afraid to contact her, because she was not very compassionate or helpful....Cattle call, but I assume most clinics are like that. The second clinic we changed to was the same....I would look elsewhere and seek a RE that is more flexible and finding out what is wrong and treating those issues. I felt a lot of my concerns weren't addressed or looked into. Once I went to a new RE that was willing to look into possible immune issues and endo and treat them I had a successful ICSI cycle.
2012 - 2013
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
She was very kind and had a good bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany?)
She seemed very busy, wasn't great at walking us through protocols and would be very curt with me when I had questions. I was kind of afraid to contact her, because she was not very compassionate or helpful.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
Kind and has good bedside manner, but not willing to change protocol or try new things. Did not want to look into endometriosis as a possibility for our troubles (which I had suspected I had since age 11), said my husbands morphology and motility were fine (wasted our time with 3 IUIs) when another clinic said otherwise and did not want to work with a reproductive immunologist. I ended up leaving her and finding out I did indeed have immunological disorders and stage III endometriosis. Went on to have a successful ICSI cycle with a new clinic after 3 failed IUIs and 1 failed ICSI cycle at Northwestern. I also was told I could get up right after our fresh transfer at Northwestern and didn't need to wait. Dr. Pavone never once performed any of my IUIs, egg retrieval or transfer.
Chicago

Great practice [Northwestern Medicine], still working out the kinks in the oak brook office. Still working on treatments, I don’t believe they have weekend hours yet. You have to be ready to go downtown... which can be super inconvenient. But in the end hopefully worth it. ... Most of my interaction with the nurses is via MyChart. The nurse who has done the 3 iui’s was Strictly about business. The teams communication via mychart has been great, they respond super fast and make the responses personable.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Great practice , still working out the kinks in the oak brook office. Still working on treatments, I don’t believe they have weekend hours yet. You have to be ready to go downtown... which can be super inconvenient. But in the end hopefully worth it.
Even with my knowledge base, he took the time to explain everything to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine?
He’s very kind. Took the time to explain the process. He gathered information in great detail of both my husband and I. So far so good, looking forward to a Positive outcome. I’ve already referred a coworker to him.
Be prepared to discuss your whole history so he can get the full clinical picture.
With PCOS, there’s numerous issues with fertility. We bypassed clomid and went straight to letrozole with iui as this has the best outcomes with iui with PCOS and my age.
Initially went through a financial counselor, with my insurance 5-6 rounds of iui are covered. Then 4 rounds of ivf.
Oakbrook Terrace

2016 - 2019
My only complaint with this clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.... Danielle has been an excellent nurse and very accommodating to any requests or questions I've had. She is always compassionate and smart and has been with me since the beginning.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
My only complaint with this clinic is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.
Eve Feinberg is one of the most caring and realistic doctors I have ever had. She is very smart and knowledgeable and will work with you throughout your entire fertility journey.I really feel like I am an important patient, even though I know she has hundreds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has been a great resource for me. Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
Call as soon as you know you want to see a fertility specialist as she sometimes has a waiting list.

2016 - 2019
The only weakness I can think of is that they [Northwestern Medicine] only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though. ... nurses were incredibly responsive not only in person, but also on the patient portal. very attentive and compassionate as well. ... IUIs were about $1000 each including actual procedure, medications and blood work. Cost of single IVF is planned to be about $15,000
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The only weakness I can think of is that they only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though.
She was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. Very considerate and was an expert on the topic.
Do as much research up-front and prepared with all of your questions when meeting with the doctor
She started us out on timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUIs, followed by IVF- all cycles with Letrozole/Femara protocol.
Chicago

Northwestern medicine is a great clinic. They have a downtown location as well as one in highland park. They have easy scheduling. I almost always went to the highland park location. There are hardly any wait times. The facility is clean and the staff is super friendly.... The staff at northwestern medicine is absolutely lovely. They are caring and compassionate. They make the experience truly less painful.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Dr Eve takes time out to explain all the details and customizes the treatment plan according to your body.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
You need to go in with your own set of questions but she does not rush the appointment and will make sure to answer every question. She has good bedside manners. I felt confident about her treatment and protocol.
Do your own research and go in with a list of questions.
Since I was diagnosed as unexplained, I was given the option to wait and watch or start my treatment right away and I decided with the latter. We did 3 iui’s Before moving on to ivf. The iuis did not result in a positive test. Then I did a low dose ivf stimulation cycle and retrieved 21 eggs. Both my fet’s resulted in a pregnancy though the first one ended in a miscarriage.
My doc did not recommend putting in more than one embryo as I was young and had a good chance of success. That eSet worked for both my transfers.
Eve Feinberg

Strength [at Northwestern Medicine]- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff...one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Strength- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff.
Northwestern has one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
The worst part of Northwestern is the nurses. No continuity of care, a different nurse will call every day and she won’t know your background so it’s constantly starting over. Post op care nurse was so rude I couldn’t wait to leave post retrieval.
How was your experience with Christina E Boots at Northwestern Medicine?
I only met the dr once or twice witch is normal but I never felt like she was hands on with my care. She also did not call after to discuss my results I had to be proactive with the appointment. It’s hard to rate the dr when we had little contact and poor results.
You have to be proactive in your own care. Do not expect hand holding.
Agnostic protocol. Gonal F ansmenopure.
Cattle call. They won’t give you results until they call late in the day. Other clinics will tell you while you are on the table.
Insurance paid for most appointments.
We did not transfer the embryo. We froze it for future use.
Chicago

The clinic [Northwestern Med] was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well...It felt very personal, like family...[Nursing staff] Great experience took there time with me very understanding and showed concerns, answered questions quickly all around just nice...he [Dr. Jain] send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well
It felt very personal, like family
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Medicine?
He was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
This is a long process and you have to be mentally prepared
I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one, I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
My insurance covered everything OOP less then 5k

1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine- Chicago] is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.... Stacey was my favorite- I don’t think she was a nurse but she did most of my appointments. (Saline sonograms, etc)
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
The clinic is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.
She was very involved in my treatment and really listened to our needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Stacey was amazing!)
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
She is very blunt and doesn’t sugar coat things- which I appreciated. She is also very realistic. She helped to set realistic expectations. Sometimes I wonder if we should have tried an additional cycle before moving to donor eggs but we could never afforded it.
Her calendar fills up very quickly- so book now!
Being DOR- I was pushed pretty hard with drugs. The first try at IVF resulted in 3 follicles so the cycles was converted to IUI. The second try only had two follicles- So we cancelled and did not do an IUI because later discovered a Male Factor. These cancellations saved us a lot of money.
I believe a full IVF cycle was around 10k-12k, plus meds.
We never reached this point.
Chicago

Northwestern is state of the art but you need to advocate for yourself. You won't get an AFC during your ultrasound but can press the nurse who gives you the results later in the day for this information....When in IVF Bootcamp, the scheduler said she was not tasked with the order, while the nurse swore she sent the order....We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
Dr. Bernardi treated me with compassion and empathy unlike any of the other four specialists we met with. She was creative and willing to work in a timeline when a colleague of hers was not.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi was recommended to me while I was under the care of one of her colleagues and had some concerns about my care. I met with her and immediately felt at ease. She asked about my reasons for leaving the other physician in attempts to get to know me better as a patient. She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
If you are looking for empathetic, creative, and warm, Dr. Bernardi is a wonderful fit.
We did a fresh start (no priming) and higher doses of FSH (300) and LH (150). Ganirelix was added on day 5. I triggered on day 8.

1 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing
We were frustrated with the miscommunication around my hormone treatments causing my cycle to be cancelled. We were also disappointed when we were not informed Dr. Pavone went on maternity leave and we were assigned a new doctor. We left this clinic after that.
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing
We were often told about the clinic's motivation to increase their success rates. That seemed more important than treating us as humans with feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb Longtin)
It was often hard to reach someone. The nurses did not use email. One cycle had to be postponed due to a miscommunication with my hormones.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Medicine?
She did not have a warm bedside manner. She did not meet with us often. Even after setbacks or bad news we had to request conference calls. She went on maternity leave and we had no idea we had been transferred to another doctor.
You have to be a good self-advocate in order to gett all of your questions answered. Don't look for a lot of support with the emotional piece of fertility.
We did pgd and pgs, which we got the sense she preferred we didn't do. When we didn't get a lot of embryos on our first cycle we tested our embryos on day 3 rather than day 5, which in retrospect is not what we would do now. That cycle was unsuccessful.
It was pretty efficient. I always made sure to get there early so I could be seen the soonest. The techs were always very nice.
My insurance covered most costs.

PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Clinic was clean and organized. The lab is located within the office making the sperm prep very easy on the insemination day....Costs were very straightforward and through the main Northwestern billing portal....The nursing staff ranged in compassion, skill, and communication. Some of the nurses were amazing and were nice to work with and other nurses seemed annoyed by my existence.
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Medicine?
How was your experience with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine?
I really liked Dr. Marsh, but the majority of the care provided was done by her Fellow or her team of nurses. Once the care plan was established, we had very little contact with her. While I liked her as a person, we were frustrated by her one size fits all approach to inseminations and we were not given the opportunity to adjust my meds based on my results.
Be prepared to work with her whole team, not just her. Ask her to clarify who will be doing the inseminations and ask her about clinic protocols as she was not forthcoming with all of the protocols at the beginning on my treatment.
I did 4 IUI's with donor sperm with Dr. Marsh. I was prescribed clomid for the first three rounds and femera for the last round.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Marsh at Northwestern Medicine.
Erica Marsh
Chicago

Ask questions and be prepared to hear the truth. He [Dr. Edmond Confino] told me that if I was unable to become pregnant in three months that there was a problem. I listened to everything he told me to do and felt comfortable with out three month plan of IUI with and without drugs. I got pregnant at 39 after the first IUI...As a single woman wanting to have a child, he was supportive and nonjudgmental. He explained his plan for my age of 39 and we agreed on a time schedule. I felt he was honest with me and that I was in great hands.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
I am a big fan of Northwestern and think the clinic was well run and would recommend them.
He was very caring and really wonderful. He was very blunt about my age and the likelihood of a pregnancy. I felt like I was in great hands from the start.
I just remember all the nurses being very nice.
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Medicine?
Dr. Confino has been doing this a long time and is very well respected in his field. As a single woman wanting to have a child, he was supportive and nonjudgmental. He explained his plan for my age of 39 and we agreed on a time schedule. I felt he was honest with me and that I was in great hands.
Ask questions and be prepared to hear the truth. He told me that if I was unable to become pregnant in three months that there was a problem. I listened to everything he told me to do and felt comfortable with out three month plan of IUI with and without drugs. I got pregnant at 39 after the first IUI
It was 16 years ago but I do remember a little bit. As I was only allowed to purchase four vials of donor sperm from the donor I selected, I wanted to follow all the rules. The plan was to do one insemination with without drugs, one month with clomid and then two the last month with clomid or another drug. I went in for an ultrasound on day ?, had an injection of profasi and came back a day or two later for the IUI. I went on to have a perfect pregnancy and healthy baby
It was in 2000 but my GUESS is that the consults, ultrasound and IUI were around $4500
Endometriosis, Male Factor
NW is probably the biggest hospital/ clinic in Chicago area, and all the staff is high level. Every time I've been there during the last year, I received good and warm experience. The staff was always nice, and all the procedures I've undergone were delicate and less stressful...I had to go through two Ivf cycles [with Dr. Feinberg], both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Medicine?
I chose dr. Feinberg because of a friend who rescued to have two successful pregnancies with IVF treatment. I had to go through two Ivf cycles, both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app. Maybe if I have had to see her more often, I would've been more confident. Anyway, she treated me with compassion. She is a good doctor, knowing what she has to do. And I would recommend her to my friends.
Ask as many questions as you need. Get all the tests done.
My healt insurance covered the expenses

IUI, Donor Sperm
Blood tests [at would be complete and I would receive the results in a web portal but the dr wouldn't call/meet with me until CD 1. I hoped to talk about the results to make a plan right away, but the staff screened me from the dr so I had to wait a couple weeks just to get the results 'read'...Small clinic, nice small staff. Weaknesses: seems as though the dr has a plan towards retirement with reduced working hours...$900 out of pocket each month before starting any service.
IUI, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Northwestern Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karen Altay at Northwestern Medicine?
She was thorough on the medical side of things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Marty)
They were good about keeping in touch and trying to be a good liaison between the dr and myself. Remembered my name and spouse's name.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Medicine?
How was your experience with Karen Altay at Northwestern Medicine?
She has very limited hours of seeing patients. MWF 8-2pm. This wasn't communicated until we did 2 months of tests. I don't think anyone can get pregnant if they don't do IUIs outside of that area. We thought she just saw patients during regular business hours, not the half days. As a result we'll have to look elsewhere for IUIs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karen Altay at Northwestern Medicine?
Limited hours, limited chances of getting pregnant.
Describe the protocols Karen Altay used in your cycles at Northwestern Medicine and their degree of success.
Tests included: FemVue with transvaginal ultrasound, ABO/RH, Prolactin, STD, AmH, Comp Metabolic panel. Lots of testing but not a lot of results that were discussed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karen Altay at Northwestern Medicine.
We used insurance. $900 out of pocket each month before starting any service.
Karen Altay