7.1

Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Investor
Dr. Jain is more than happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions. It’s difficult to see Dr.Jain outside of the scheduled consultations given the size of the clinic...is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything...One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor...Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks...Monitoring appointments were quick and easy! Results and any changes to protocol were provided later in the day via secure email.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jain is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything. That being said, it is my understanding that he is one of the best doctors at Northwestern and in the area in general.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Please be sure to advocate for yourself. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I respond very well to the meds and create a lot of eggs. I am always on the lowest doses of Menopur and Follistim. My problem is that I don’t produce high quality embryos so after three rounds we only produced two PGS tested Day 6 embryos. One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana Sullivan )
Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks. She also is happy to celebrate any small victories with me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is one of the best in the area but is very large and any appointments are scheduled far in advance. Also expect to see a different doctor for each medical appointment. The nurses are the patients main points of contact.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We’re luck that insurance covers the medical procedures associated with IVF. We have to pay out of pocket for medications (approximately $7k) and genetic testing (approximately $3k) per round of IVF.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I’m happy to do eSETs but understand that transferring two Day 3 embryos, given my history of poor quality embryos, was the right choice.

2020, Unknown Success
The very first time I met him [Dr. Jain]...He was confident that I would not need IVF and with 4 IUI (3 being negative and 1 being a chemical pregnancy). After our 2nd telemed meeting we are now doing IVF...He does take the time to listen to you...he basically told me to go on a Plant based diet, lose weight, cut sugar out, and stop eating meat because its bad food....
I just felt everytime I walked into the office [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] I was just another $ instead of a person...Strengths: Fast and sufficient. Answer your questions in a timely manner. Multiple sites your able to go to. Weakness: Only downtown location is open on the weekends, appointments are far out so you have to take what you can get, if you normally go to a specific site be aware if its booked you have to go to another site, getting your period on the weekend is the worst because monday is there busiest days.
I've only met Dr. Jain twice never in person only telemed because of Covid. The very first time I met him to my partner and I he seemed cocky he basically told me to go on a Plant based diet, lose weight, cut sugar out, and stop eating meat because its bad food. He was confident that I would not need IVF and with 4 IUI (3 being negative and 1 being a chemical pregnancy). After our 2nd telemed meeting we are now doing IVF. Which is not only time consuming but is very expensive. I will say I cut dairy out of my diet and did lose 28 pounds. Never had natural periods until I lost all that weight the last 5 months my periods have been coming by themselfs and timid. He does take the time to listen to you and it is very overstimulating the amount of information that is received and what your body really goes through! You are mentally and physically drained.
Be prepared- this experience is very long and becomes overwhelming for you and your partner. It consumes your life from the blood draws, semen samples, ultrasounds, and appointments. You pretty much work around their availability and I've personally have missed a lot of work just to attend these appointments. *Do your researches make notes and DO NOT be afraid to ask Questions.
I just felt everytime I walked into the office I was just another $ instead of a person. My first time doing an IUI/ ultrasound nobody explained to me I needed to undress and I stayed in the room unsure what to do and nervous. Finally, when the tech came in she was unhappy that I was not on the table ready to go. I had a chemical pregnancy and I just feel like my world just shattered they didn't offer services/ therapy anything to get me through my worst nightmare just an apology.
My partner and I decided to do 2 timid intercourses and 2 IUI. But, the protocols were similar. Timid intercourse: Notify the clinic of day 1 of period. Day 3 of period schedule you for bloodwork and ultrasound. Based on your bloodwork and ultrasound they send you a message letting you know to start taking Letrozole 5mg once a day for 5 days. Return for bloodwork and ultrasound and based on your results the nursing staff will tell you when to give the trigger shot usually 24 hrs last between 9pm-10pm. The nursing staff gave specific instructions for the timid intercourse usually the next three days. Wait 2 weeks and take a pregnancy test. The IUI:Notify the clinic of day 1 of period. Day 3 of period schedule you for bloodwork and ultrasound. Based on your bloodwork and ultrasound they send you a message letting you know to start taking Letrozole 5mg once a day for 5 days. Return for bloodwork and ultrasound and based on your results the nursing staff will tell you when to give the trigger shot usually 24 hrs last between 9pm-10pm. The nursing staff reaches out to scheduling to set you a time for your partner and yourself to go in the IUI procedure (Usually 2-3 days after trigger shot).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: For the most they were in great communication with me letting me know the next steps if I had any questions they were quick to respond. Weakness: I do not like how many people have access to my information I felt like I was getting different answerings which made it confusing.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Make sure you try to have the best deductible because the cost quickly add up. The trigger shot is through Northwestern Speciality Pharmacy and you have to special order that shot and it was $20.00. The ultrasounds and bloodwork after I met my deductible were free essentially but prior the blood work was roughly $10-$30 and ultrasound was $30-$50
No comments this process was explained thoroughly to me and I understood why he is transferring one embryo instead of multiples.
Oakbrook Terrace
2020, Unsuccessful
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles...I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time...She seemed very intelligent and professional. I liked her personality and bedside manner. She was very nice. However, they definitely don't prioritize IUI patients which I get. But the whole experience with 2 IUI cycles, I just felt like I was ushered through. I thought I wouldn't be someone who needed my hand held through the process, but left feeling like their process was cold and impersonal.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I did not respond...so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The clinic is busy, you probably won't talk to her more than once or twice. She is smart and I am sure she's a great doctor. It didn't work out for me. I decided I needed a smaller clinic with a more personal experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles. They always emailed updates and results, did not call. I don't feel like I got to know any staff and they certainly didn't get to know me. I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I had 2 IUI cycles with Letrozole.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a big clinic with a lot of patients. Impersonal experience with my IUI cycles, but im sure they put more into IVF patients. Very updated, nice facilities. I switched clinics to start IVF, because it would have been a 3 to 5 month wait with a lot of hurdles. I felt like I had to do a ton of administrative work to move things along. I decided I wanted to go with a smaller clinic with a more personal experience. I have already had my egg retrieval with the new clinic before Northwestern would have even been about to get me in for a consult and start booking the pre-ivf appointments
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI. I did not respond to the low dose of leyrozile, so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
Chicago

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.
Chicago

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.
Chicago

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
Helen Kim
Chicago

I do think when I came to him [Dr. Jain] expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
I just wish I understood more about how these day 6 embryos with good "grades" widdled down to ZERO healthy ones? ... They [nurses at Northwestern Medicine] were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
I do think when I came to him expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
Maybe get a second opinion before going with him if you have any concerns like I did.
I felt like a human because Dr. Jain was really empathetic when hearing I had experienced a stillbirth at 39 weeks when I was 37 years old, as well that surrounding that stillbirth both before and after I had experienced miscarriages. This said, he gave me a lot of hope that my own eggs at 40 were still healthy and that we'd be successful and we left totally gutted when 2 of our embryos were sent off to genetic testing and neither were healthy. He called and I could feel he was actually sad for us, and wanted to help. He asked if we wanted to try again and at that point since insurance didn't cover any of what I did, our credit cards were maxed and we left drained.
stimulation medication,(Gonal -F or Follistim) 225 units & Menopur 75 units tand every night within approximately one hour of your chosen time. Ganirelix/Cetrotide was weaved in at somepoint.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana and Alexandra )
They were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths are communication, I was never in the dark about my test results, my follicle count, my numbers, etc. I think they were very communicative. That said I wish because I was honest that we were going out of pocket and we've been through 4 heartbreaks already they would have fast tracked me to egg donor or embryo adoption. It made me think they wanted me to be there for a couple of rounds and tries and we just couldnt because we didnt have the money.
$10,000 down payment for 1 cycle this was not including meds, and certain labs like the genetic labs for my husband and myself and then the genetic testing on the embryos was also separate. All in we spent $20,000
Chicago

I think he [Dr. Robins] was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
Location was a little rough. Middle of Chicago and traffic. Parking wasn’t ideal. Parking garage and you had to pay each visit. It was prorated though. The clinic was also nice that you could discuss needs with the receptionist and not have the whole office hear. Plenty of receptionists and all know where to transfer you for any of your needs or questions.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think he was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. Ask about all treatment options. Ask specifically about your situation and the treatments available. What the statistics are for your age and different treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think they have the process down like clockwork. But I think they didn’t spend enough time on the statistics with me on conceiving at my age. Once I said what procedures I was thinking, there wasn’t any additional information given which would have been helpful at my age.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
He used clomid for my IUI. I was told I respond very well to fertility drugs. Although I wasn’t sure what results they were looking at that made that determination.
Very professional. Had the whole process down like clockwork. Nothing I would change except for maybe a personal call every once in a while. Everything is automated.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Cost was covered by insurance except for copay.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They strongly supported eSET.
Jared Robins
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately...For our second cycle, I went on a low carb diet for 3 months prior to stimming. I also started taking 600mg CoQ10 daily. My husband had a TESE procedure so that we could use sperm with less DNA fragmentation and stress to fertilize our eggs. I also added in HGH... I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news...Costs are on par with national averages
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
While I do like Dr. Feinberg a lot, I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be prepared to not see her during treatment. Though if you ask for an email to be forwarded directly to her, she responds promptly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire S.)
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: part of top rated hospital; all doctors we have worked with have seemed very knowledgeable in the field Weaknesses: Because this is such a coveted clinic, however, you do sometimes feel like a number - especially during early morning monitoring appointments.
If you live a little further away from the clinic in the city there are satellite clinics in the suburbs that take appointments for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Costs are on par with national averages
Dr. Fienberg specifically told me not to start taking DHEA and during the end of my first cycle (with my first nurse) I had asked if there were any additional supplements I could be taking and my nurse told me to start taking DHEA and if I had not questioned the conflicting information I may have ruined my cycle.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I am a 43 year old intended mother who has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has had 6 miscarriages, 5 of the 6 miscarriages were through trying naturally. We saw Dr. Feinberg for our last two IVF rounds using my own eggs. We are beginning IVF rounds with her using donor eggs. (We have done 8 rounds of infertility treatments to date, though only two have been with her.)
Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful...is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors.
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Feinberg. She is exactly who I want and need in our corner while we fight to have our first child. I only wish we found her sooner. It would have made our first 6 rounds kinder and perhaps more successful.
Call her immediately.
Dr. Feinberg is so kind hearted, extremely knowledgeable, and has an excellent bedside manner. She remembered details about our personal lives, always called us by our preferred names/nicknames, and was the first Reproductive Endocrinologist to really explain to me what the process would be like and what I could expect---she has actually gone through infertility treatments herself, so she has personal experience. She is our first female Reproductive Endocrinologist and the only Reproductive Endocrinologist we've seen who did not boist or lead with ego. She was kind, extremely professional, and told us exactly what we needed to know to make educated decisions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I think being a patient of Dr. Feinberg's is enough of a reason to be a patient of Northwestern FRM. Northwestern is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors. I had one of their older, been there for a million years, male (now retired) Doctor perform our egg retrieval on our second IVF round. He walked past me, introduced himself to my husband, told him all about the procedure, and then walked out of the recovery room without acknowledging me while I sat on the table in a cap and gown waiting to go into surgery with him. The new Doctors do not operate in that archaic and disrespectful manner. Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful.
Our insurance helped with the cost substantially.
Chicago

For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians... [Dr. Feinberg] was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list... For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!!
Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid &lt;$800
Chicago

I like that she [Dr. Eve Feinberg] has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed...She knows her stuff, so you will be in good hands. However, be ready to be a Northwestern patient, in more ways than a Feinberg patient.
I interact mostly with the nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine]. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions...delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy...There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
I like that she has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed.
They see A LOT of patients. I don't always feel like I have personal care, but I always feel like I receive great care. I work more closely with the nurse staff for sure and haven't had much direct contact with my doctor herself at all.
Cycle 1: Microdose Lupron Flare - used based on my test results and miscarriage history alone. I turned out to be overstimulated by this protocol and we were all pleasantly surprised that they were able to retrieve 14 eggs, 5 of which became blastocysts. However, none tested as PGS normal, so we decided to cycle again, as my doctor believes it is a numbers game and we had a good chance to get a normal in the next round. Cycle 2: Antagonist - started low dose and increased slightly. I wanted to stim lower and slower, if at all possible after not feeling very good during the first cycle. She was open to this for sure. My AFC this round was significantly lower though, and we retrieved only 7 eggs, 3 of which became blastocysts and 1 tested as PGS normal. She suggested we try to get at least one more PGS normal embryo before attempting any transfers though. Cycle 3: Long Lupron - we changed it up again to see how I would respond. I was on highest doses and was a slow responder. We did retrieve 13 eggs, but only 1 grew to blastocyst and we are currently awaiting PGS testing results (and we will then decide to either attempt a frozen transfer or retrieve again).
I interact mostly with the nursing staff. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good location in downtown Chicago, connected to Northwestern Hospital, and linked to all Northwestern doctors/services where I see most of my other physicans. Their lab is new and top notch. They do not do "batch cycles" but rather let you start on your cycle. That means they are open 7 days a week and holidays for appointments and procedures. The only thing to be aware of is they run FRM similarly to the OB practice - you may not see your doctor on the day of your procedure but instead the doctor who is scheduled to do procedures on that day.
Usually it was fast and super easy. There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Most have been covered by insurance so far. Before treatment for any new cycle, I do have to pay a lab deposit for biopsy, freezing and storage.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nothing too serious, but just delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy.
Chicago

Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints!...is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Chicago

She [Dr. Lia Bernardi] was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages....She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles....She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that...
Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.
We initially saw a different doctor at the clinic. When my husband's semen analysis results came back abnormal, the nurse communicated with us via MyChart message. I felt this was inappropriate considering the results were abnormal. I wrote back multiple times saying I want the doctor to call us, but apparently the doctor refused and said we need to come in for an appointment. Her schedule was full when I called, which was so stressful. Eventually she overbooked us and met with us. I had to pay a $50 copay for the visit when she could've just called. My husband and I were extremely worried about what these results meant, but during appointment she said his results were only "mildly abnormal" and not too worrisome. She could have spared us so much stress by just calling right away. We switched doctors after that.
Chicago
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.
2013 - 2017, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Barnes] was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us...we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages...I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive.
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Kazer] was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us...
[Northwestern Med] Strengths-early morning hours, efficient, beautiful location, prompt responses. Weaknesses- expensive parking (even with discount), not a lot of individual attention, didn't feel as if they knew me or my story at all. Overall I have had a good experience, but not exceptional. It may be different when going through IVF...They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated...
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Come with lots of questions ready.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
There wasn't a lot of one on one attention to our particular story. It felt like, 'well this is how we do things so let's try it.' There wasn't a lot of investigating the why.
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have unexplained infertility and got pregnant the first IUI + 50 mg clomid + trigger shot cycle. When we returned 3 years later, we tried this again twice. Then after no success, we tried same protocol with 100 mg clomid (to increase the follicles) for 2 more times. No luck so far. We are currently deciding whether or not to do one final IUI or proceed to IVF.
They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated. The downside was that it was often clear that they didn't review my chart before seeing me and needed me to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my treatment. There was no continuity of care as I saw a new RN almost each time. I didn't feel like they knew me or my story.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Covered by insurance, so I am not sure of the costs (paid deductible).
Ralph Kazer
Chicago

Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She [Dr. Boots] is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse [Northwestern Medicone]. ... 3 medicated IUI cycles using 100mg Clomid x 5 days, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI and progesterone. 3 cycles using 7.5 mg Letrozole x 5 days, timed intercourse, progesterone.
Great hours [at Northwestern Medicine], reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene. ... Nurse in training experience x 3, unsettling for first IUI, lacked confidence and did not relay follow up information
Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse.
Ask for what you need. Ask clarifying questions for better understanding.
The system gets you in and out efficiently. This is great for working people but human connection is lacking as a result. There are occasional disconnects when information sent via messaging vs phone call or in person appointment. The conveniences we appreciate and are lucky to have access too also create disconnect in emotional support and person to person interaction.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Alex or Claire)
Professional, responsive, uses canned responses which is efficient but sometimes not edited or personable.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Great hours, reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene.
Had met deductible when started IUI so most costs covered. Monitoring ultrasounds cost about $300, labs $30-60. Unable to afford IVF not covered by insurance.
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg is one of the foremost doctors in the field. She is knowledgeable and experienced and no nonsense, which I appreciate. Dr. Feinberg is also empathetic, caring, considerate, honest and an excellent communicator. I very much appreciate her approach to treatment. ... We started with Clomid IUI when my saline ultrasound and bloodwork demonstrated positive findings. After disappointing sperm counts and motility, we moved directly into IVF.
Scheduling [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] is a disaster, always. Plan your appointments as soon as you can. The best way to schedule follow up appointments is with the on-site schedulers, as opposed to the 800#. Financial advisors are not particularly friendly and are very blunt. ... They failed to schedule follow up appointments after a failed IUI in Nov. They failed to inform me about next options until I scheduled an appt to do so. They failed to schedule me with the doctor, when I called to schedule with her specifically (they scheduled me for bloodwork only).
Book early. She's difficult to get an appointment with.
She was incredibly empathetic, caring, no nonsense and she actually listened to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Bethany)
Nurses and lab technicians (ultrasound and phlebotomy) are proficient and also caring and kind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Scheduling is a disaster, always. Plan your appointments as soon as you can. The best way to schedule follow up appointments is with the on-site schedulers, as opposed to the 800#. Financial advisors are not particularly friendly and are very blunt.
Insurance will not cover our treatments. IUI was approximately $2000 including medication. IVF is approximately $18,000, including medication.
I have not gotten to the point of retrieval yet, as is was cancelled for COVID -19
Highland Park

Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest ... We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced New Patient Advice
Strengths-the mychart app, getting called back as requested Weaknesses-no education on medications for FET. Only one message saying when to start and stop meds. Was not made aware of time of FET until 2 days prior. Made it very hard to schedule .... Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app. ... She [Dr. Feinberg] highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
We had a pregnancy leading to a miscarriage when we were told pregnancy was not possible by other physicians. We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced
She will not sugar coat anything.
Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest
Labs, saline ultrasound to see if your uterine lining is prepared, adjust estrace and prometrium doses to have a period, baseline appointment, begin 2 week course of 4mg estrace 2x/day, mid cycle appointment to ensure uterine lining is &gt;7mm thick aNd progesterone indicates no ovulation, 6 day course of PIO injections as well as endometrin vaginal suppositories, doxycycline 2 days before FET and 2 days after. Transfer day 6th day of injections. 8 day wait for blood HCG pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine Gaedele)
Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nothing particular to this physician.
She highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
2017, Unknown Success
If you are looking for empathetic, creative, and warm, Dr. Bernardi is a wonderful fit....She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos....Dr. Bernardi treated me with compassion and empathy unlike any of the other four specialists we met with. She was creative and willing to work in a timeline when a colleague of hers was not.
Northwestern is state of the art but you need to advocate for yourself. You won't get an AFC during your ultrasound but can press the nurse who gives you the results later in the day for this information....When in IVF Bootcamp, the scheduler said she was not tasked with the order, while the nurse swore she sent the order....We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
Dr. Bernardi was recommended to me while I was under the care of one of her colleagues and had some concerns about my care. I met with her and immediately felt at ease. She asked about my reasons for leaving the other physician in attempts to get to know me better as a patient. She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
We did a fresh start (no priming) and higher doses of FSH (300) and LH (150). Ganirelix was added on day 5. I triggered on day 8.
Chicago

Although I’ve only met with her [Dr. Feinberg] twice during my iui process, I still felt like she was watching my progress and called me when I was a bit frustrated with my progress. She has always been good at getting back to me through her nurses. Overall I feel like I’m in great care throughout my fertility process, and continuing on to ivf later this month. ... 1st iui - ovidrel trigger shot 2nd iui- no trigger shot 3rd scheduled iui - cancelled due to overstimulation from 50mg clomid 3rd Iui - ovidrel trigger shot
Efficient, but sometimes i do feel like just a number. Informative staff [Northwestern Med]. Fairly quick to respond to questions. Feels like a well oiled machine. Sometimes confusing processes. Starting ivf and they called in my prescription before my ivf boot camp meeting. ... Had me go in for baseline iui when I was doing a non medicated iui. Which i found out wasn’t needed.
Although I’ve only met with her twice during my iui process, I still felt like she was watching my progress and called me when I was a bit frustrated with my progress. She has always been good at getting back to me through her nurses. Overall I feel like I’m in great care throughout my fertility process, and continuing on to ivf later this month.
Understand that you may rarely see her, but that she’s well aware of your process through her awesome team.
She talked to me like a person. Seems caring and explains thing clearly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire Smith )
Love Claire! She’s so caring and quick to respond!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient, but sometimes i do feel like just a number. Informative staff. Fairly quick to respond to questions. Feels like a well oiled machine. Sometimes confusing processes. Starting ivf and they called in my prescription before my ivf boot camp meeting.
Not yet. I’m open to multiple as twins don’t scare me.
2011 - 2012, Successful
I had a very positive experience with him [Dr. Barnes]. He has a warm demeanor and is knowledgeable. In my opinion, he is very optimistic about treatment (which is a nice-to-have through this process). I did felt like at a certain point when IUI wasn't working, I was leading the process rather than getting answers about next steps...
I don't know if it is still this way [at Northwestern Medicine - Chicago], but when I went through the process, there weren't individual appointment times for monitoring. So people would start to line up in the hallway before the clinic opened (before we all had to go to work). It had a little bit of a cattle call feeling that was stressful...
I had a very positive experience with him. He has a warm demeanor and is knowledgeable. In my opinion, he is very optimistic about treatment (which is a nice-to-have through this process). I did felt like at a certain point when IUI wasn't working, I was leading the process rather than getting answers about next steps.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't know if it is still this way, but when I went through the process, there weren't individual appointment times for monitoring. So people would start to line up in the hallway before the clinic opened (before we all had to go to work). It had a little bit of a cattle call feeling that was stressful.
Chicago

He [Dr. Jain] conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. ... Since we had already been trying to conceive for a year, had 5 months of clomid and one failed IUI without a positive pregnancy test he laid out a game plan to switch to letrozole for three months before discussing IVF.
This clinic [Northwestern Medicine] operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.
He conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. We also have an IVF consultation scheduled for next month if needed.
Personable staff and pleasant communication
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.