5.9

Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Boots] did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
The clinic employees are always friendly and warm. The hours were helpful being that you could come in before work when it was convenient for you. The clinic separated non-pregnant patients from pregnant patients and I always appreciated that because seeing a pregnant person during my infertility struggles was difficult. ... Nurse Kelsey always called to deliver news, and even when it was bad, She was straight to the point, and she was compassionate. Kelsey always gave clear directions through my chart and quickly responded to questions.
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Boots was a wonderful, caring doctor. From our first visit she made us feel comfortable and made us feel heard. She used diagrams to help explain the process and answered all the questions we had. Our journey felt slow at times and not everything worked successfully, but Dr Boots was available to answer questions, always called to talk through solutions, and helped me understand next steps.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Boots would only do a single embryo transfer for my age category given that I had previously become pregnant.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Eve Feinberg is one of the most caring and realistic doctors I have ever had. She is very smart and knowledgeable and will work with you throughout your entire fertility journey.I really feel like I am an important patient, even though I know she has hundreds... Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
My only complaint with this clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.... Danielle has been an excellent nurse and very accommodating to any requests or questions I've had. She is always compassionate and smart and has been with me since the beginning.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has been a great resource for me. Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Call as soon as you know you want to see a fertility specialist as she sometimes has a waiting list.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only complaint with this clinic is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.
Chicago

Dr Robins has all of the FACTS! He is super knowledgeable and can answer all my questions well. That's what most of our discussions were about, facts of the tests, results, and next steps. I feel confident in what he tells us. If you are looking for special, tender care, Dr Robins may not be it for you. I need facts and look at things analytically, so I think it is a good match...Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!...I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole...recommend single embryo transfer if we start IVF in February...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole [at Northwestern Medicine]...All of the nurses at NW are very nice and caring. What I appreciate the most is there super fast responses to questions sent in the portal...They keep things on time! I never have to wait too long. The front desk staff and phone staff are always patient and very kind. There is an awesome view of the lake from the clinic, which some days is a nice stress reliever. Coffee, water, tea and snacks are available as well...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Robins recommend single embryo transfer if we start IVF in February
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Feinberg] was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available. ... She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. ...
The only weakness I can think of is that they [Northwestern Medicine] only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though. ... nurses were incredibly responsive not only in person, but also on the patient portal. very attentive and compassionate as well. ... IUIs were about $1000 each including actual procedure, medications and blood work. Cost of single IVF is planned to be about $15,000
She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. Very considerate and was an expert on the topic.
Do as much research up-front and prepared with all of your questions when meeting with the doctor
She was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
She started us out on timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUIs, followed by IVF- all cycles with Letrozole/Femara protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The only weakness I can think of is that they only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Surrogacy With Other Docs
She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is wonderful and warm - she remembered us personally, our journey, and always kept our specific goals as the focus...We loved her. She is extremely skilled and communicates well. I got OHSS, and she was calm and handled it in a way that kept me from panicking. We had a wonderful experience, even though IVF was hard, and she was always available for a visit or call when I needed...Ask questions when you have them - she’ll answer them!...always felt warmly welcomed. Plus, they really run on time!...with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)
Claire [nurse at Northwestern Medicine] was so wonderful, reassuring, and enthusiastic. The entire nursing staff was fantastic (with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)...Melissa often didn’t seem to know what was going on and provided bad information that conflicted with what others said or conflicted with my chart relating to embryo freezing process, medications, and post-retrieval care...Organized, quiet, clean, friendly desk staff, easy scheduling, not a crazy waiting room, easy parking. The only downside of being treated in the suburbs is having to go into the city for weekend monitoring, which is a very different experience, and for retrievals themselves. But we lived our clinic and always felt warmly welcomed. Plus, they really run on time!
Ask questions when you have them - she’ll answer them!
She is wonderful and warm - she remembered us personally, our journey, and always kept our specific goals as the focus
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire!)
Claire was so wonderful, reassuring, and enthusiastic. The entire nursing staff was fantastic (with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)
Insurance covered my care
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Chicago

Doctor Jared was awesome I felt 100% comfortable with him and my treatment plans. He went over all my test results with me & my partner.he explain the treatment we would do like first I start on the clomid pill then do ultrasounds & blood draws to track my hormones. ... I felt like a human, he answered all my question & concerns ...
My nursing staff was amazing [at Northwestern Medicine], Claire the RN Nurse answered all my questions soon as possible. She explain & answered my questions about my treatment plan also testing had to do. ... They have amazing compassion towards their patients. I haven’t seen anything of their weakness. They are good on about patients treatments, & response very quickly about questions that the patients have.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and do retest on anything that doesn’t sound right.
I felt like a human, he answered all my question & concerns
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire )
My nursing staff was amazing, Claire the RN Nurse answered all my questions soon as possible. She explain & answered my questions about my treatment plan also testing had to do.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered everything except my medications & IUI procedure so we decided to do clomid with the injection with time intercourses
Chicago

Eve [Feinberg] truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. ... I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through.
I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments. ... I felt the nurses were top notch and extremely knowledgeable. I communicated with them almost daily through the patient portal and their responses were always warm and timely.
Eve truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. Eve went through my records from my previous clinic thoroughly and found numerous errors they made in medication dosing, which she guessed was having an adverse affect on the quality of our embryos. She adjusted my medications and carefully monitored me during the stimulation cycle, and after a failed first cycle adjusted further. She called me herself to let me know that that first cycle would probably not result in pregnancy and I appreciated her honesty. She said we would do things differently the next cycle. She got it right. We were successful on our second round after a short three months of active treatment, versus a year and half at my previous clinic. The only regret I have in all of this is not going to her in the first place.
Ask questions and voice any concerns you have - she will listen to you. Call today because she books up months in advance!
Eve Feinberg was the third RE I saw during my two year battle with infertility. I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through. She called me multiple times throughout my treatment and was always accessible via phone or email - much more than any other doctor I worked with during treatment. She also called me personally with positive pregnancy test results and was reassuring in my concerns of another miscarriage. Eve went through IVF herself, and I found her extremely relatable and sympathetic to the entire process. For those saying that they never saw her and worked mostly with the nurses, that is how all fertility clinics are set up, so you need to expect that no matter where you are being treated. Ultimately, she is the one overseeing your care and treating you, but only expect to see your actual doctor a few times during your treatment. That's pretty standard.
After three miscarriages, Eve suggested an estrogen priming cycle before my first egg retrieval with her to increase the number of egg-containing follicles. She also lowered my injectable medication doses after seeing that they wreaked havoc on my embryos at my previous clinic. In addition, she added in human growth hormone to improve egg quality. That cycle did not work, but we started the next cycle immediately following my period instead of waiting an entire month to start again (like my previous doctor did). She suspected the dosing she had me on was not enough. She then increased the doses on my injectables and kept the growth hormone protocol. I produced 10 eggs that round, which is the most I had ever had. She also put me on an immune protocol after my embryos were transferred to suppress my system in case it was attacking the pregnancies. She put me on prednisone, Pepcid AC, Claritin, and baby aspirin. It seemed to do the trick because I became pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Fertility clinics are all very similar, and it helps to know this going in. Yes, the monitoring appointments feel like a cattle call, and yes, sometimes you need to wait to be seen. This is par for the course. I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments.
I don't know offhand but my insurance covers most of my treatment. Our costs were minimal compared to most people, and the most we paid besides medication costs was the fee to freeze and store our leftover embryos which is $1200.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I know Eve feels strongly that eSET is the way to go in younger patients, but with my history of repeated pregnancy loss she agreed that transferring two embryos would yield the best results (despite the risks that come with a multiple pregnancy). That being said, she really takes into account your personal situation to make decisions like that.
Chicago

Dr Feinberg is wonderful. She is so warm and caring with a great bedside manner. I feel like I really matter to her as a patient and she hears my concerns....I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5
it was very easy to get an appointment They [Northwestern Med] were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!...I was told that a specific diagnosis code would be used to bill my insurance. When the claims started coming through, they were all denied because the clinic used a different code than what they told me they were going to use.
Even though our first round of IVF with Dr Feinberg failed, we still trust her and the process and will not give up. We felt so well taken care of by her. She answers all my questions no matter how silly they may seem. When we talk to her, we feel as if she is more of a friend than a doctor.
She is determined to get you pregnant and will not give up!
I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5 and explained to us the reason she would transfer two instead of one. I liked how she mixed it up because we were afraid of doing the same thing as previous cycles and expecting different results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
Laura was very good about always getting back to me within an hour or two of me sending an email. She was very clear in her instructions and always follows through.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Unlike the other clinics I have been to, it was very easy to get an appointment They were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!
Compared to other clinics, the costs with Dr Feinberg were significantly lower. They really want to make it affordable to everyone as they know it doesn't always work on the first try and you might have to do more than one round. My insurance has an infertility max that had already been met, so we knew we were going to be self pay. We were pleasantly surprised that the financial advisor said our blood tests and ultrasounds would be covered, as well as some of the drugs, so we went with the lower priced package.
She said if it was her, she would transfer 2 but still gave us the choice to make on our own. We valued her advice and transferred two.
Chicago

She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
[Monitoring hours at Northwestern Medicine are] different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour...Our IUI self-pay package cost $709 Our IVF with PGD (FET) cost $12,000 + meds cost of ~$6000 + genetic testing with Natera $6400
She is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
It is a long wait to get an appointment, but worth it! Also, she has 2 offices, downtown and Highland Park. The HP office is lower key - less crowded and more time with her.
She is kind, forthright, caring
We started with IUI since I had previously had a successful pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. I produced 1 follicle on clomid the first round and then she increased my dosage for another round, when I produced 2 follicles and became pregnant. Unfortunately genetic testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality and we had to terminate the pregnancy. Meanwhile we had also received information from our genetic screening that we are both carriers for a genetic disease. Dr Feinberg suggested changing course and we are currently doing IVF with ICSI and PGD. We did stimulation with 300 units of Gonal-F (increased to 375) and 75 units of Menopur (increased to 150), with Cetrotide and an Ovidrel trigger. This produced 13 follicles, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Dr Feinberg told us she will adjust if future cycles are necessary since these were not the results she had hoped for. She explained her choices were based on my previous ability to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Leah and Kelsey)
The nurses have been very responsive on my chart (online patient portal) and wonderful in person
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is fine, not great. There is some difficulty with communication between the two offices, though most patients just go to one. It can take a long time to get through to someone and get a call back since it is such a busy practice. For monitoring, waits are long.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour.
Dr Feinberg told us she does single embryo transfer and we are happy with this as we do not want multiples.
I tried to order meds from an online pharmacy to cut costs. It proved difficult to do this and I’m not sure if his is because it was not their in house pharmacy or on their list of suggestions, or if it was all on the pharmacy. I ended up spending more money to order through Northwestern for simplicity but the miscommunication caused a great deal of stress
Chicago

After my canceled cycle she [Dr. Christina Boots] made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far... I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures...I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer.
My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.
Chicago
[Under Dr. Randall Barnes] I took 300 units of Folistim and 150 units of Menopur for 5 days, and then started a daily shot of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Day 10 I took my trigger shot and went in 36 hours later for my ET. 7 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized. I also thawed my 18 frozen eggs, 11 which fertilized. Overall, 15 eggs fertilzed and we are now waiting for our results on day 5 blastocyst stage, after which the remaining blastocysts will be biopsied and sent for PGD testing.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern Fertility Clinic is a large practice, which means you deal with lots of different people throughout the process, from multiple nurses, to schedulers, to financial advisors, to psychologists, to doctors who are on call the day of your procedures. It is not guaranteed your doctor will perform your retrievals or transfers. Overall, I had a positive experience with NFC, and with Dr. Barnes. I am in the midst of my treatments still, so I am not able to speak to my results yet... that is still to be determined! Also, in the midst of my treatment, and after several appointments with Dr. Barnes, I received a letter from Northwestern letting me know that he was retiring. So, in the midst of my treatments, I was left without a doctor and had to switch to a different doctor in the practice. My husband and I were surprised that this was never mentioned to us during multiple appointments with Barnes or with the nurses. It seemed like something they should tell us, so we could've started the process with a different doctor verses being caught off guard. This was my biggest critique of working with the NW Fertility clinic thus far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is now retired from Northwestern Fertility Clinic.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic itself feels well organized considering the volume of patients they serve. At times I felt like it was a cattle call with the other women who were coming in for their routine early morning blood work and ultrasound appointments, but that comes with the territory when your'e working with a large clinic. Most of the time they got me in and out within 30 minutes for my morning appointments. Additionally, the clinic itself is a beautiful space, and the views overlooking lake michigan with soft music playing definitely make the experience more pleasant.
Morning appointments were an open window from 6:45-7:45am. Some mornings the wait was longer than others. My shortest appointment time was around 20 minutes, and my longest was 45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Luckily my insurance covers this process.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor strongly steered us toward eSET, although I had my heart set on transferring 2 embryos. He explained that due to complications from multiples, the best practice now is to recommend an eSET.
The two things that went wrong were: - No one told us that Dr. Barnes was retiring, and we ended up starting the process with him, only to be informed by letter that he was retiring. So, for part of my process I had no assigned physician. - I received information from one nurse that I couldn't start my IVF cycle because our PGD test wasn't ready. After reaching out to try to get in touch with my regular nurse and telling her we wanted to get started anyways, our regular nurse let us know that we could in fact get started. So there was around a 2 day window of a lot of dissapointment when we heard back from the first nurse that we couldn't get started, when in fact we could.
Randall Barnes
2014 - 2018, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer.... Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery.
With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her [Dr. Feinberg] and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.... we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate... She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out.
Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery. She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out. This has been the hardest journey of our lives. We’re lucky to have crossed paths so many years ago.
Have faith, because she believes in you and your dreams wholeheartedly.
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer. Once we realized my health was in jeopardy, we were scared, lost and helpless. We didn’t know which way to turn - we went from trying to create a life to saving my own. She put us in contact with NorthShore and oversaw the process until I was diagnosed and placed with the right oncologist. She’s been with us every step of the way and hasn’t given up on the original reason our paths crossed years ago, to help us become the parents we’ve been fighting so hard to become.
I had a hysteroscopy and 1 cycle of IUI before they found the cancer. Since then, we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Under FCI, I was more in touch with Dr Feinberg. With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.
Ranges due to insurance
N/a - not there yet
Chicago

We tried several different strategies over the course of our treatment. I felt like Dr. Feinberg did a good job of adjusting the strategy to our situation over time. ... Dr. Feinberg did a very good job explaining everything as we went through the process. She was great at being available for in-person consultations or phone calls when things weren't going well, and took the time to make sure all our questions were answered.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated. ... Monitoring occurred in the very early morning ... I loved our primary nurse, Kelsey. She was SO quick to respond and available, and was an excellent point person for our care.
Trust her, she knows what she's doing. :)
I think Dr. Feinberg did a good job of being present emotionally when the situation called for it. The clinic is very efficiently run, which may make some feel like they are being treated like a number, but I really appreciated the efficiency.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated.
Monitoring occurred in the very early morning, which was tough on me, but they were very efficient and well-run.
I was lucky, my costs were covered by my husband's insurance.
Dr. Feinberg had some opinions to offer on this topic, but in our case was very open to what we wanted, which was single embryo transfers.
Chicago
He [Dr. Jain] was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion...I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one... I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well...It felt very personal, like family...[Nursing staff] Great experience took there time with me very understanding and showed concerns, answered questions quickly all around just nice...he [Dr. Jain] send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
This is a long process and you have to be mentally prepared
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It felt very personal, like family
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one, I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered everything OOP less then 5k
Tarun Jain
Chicago

I had to go through two Ivf cycles [with Dr. Feinberg], both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app. Maybe if I have had to see her more often, I would've been more confident. Anyway, she treated me with compassion. She is a good doctor, knowing what she has to do. And I would recommend her to my friends.
NW is probably the biggest hospital/ clinic in Chicago area, and all the staff is high level. Every time I've been there during the last year, I received good and warm experience. The staff was always nice, and all the procedures I've undergone were delicate and less stressful...I had to go through two Ivf cycles [with Dr. Feinberg], both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app.
I chose dr. Feinberg because of a friend who rescued to have two successful pregnancies with IVF treatment. I had to go through two Ivf cycles, both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app. Maybe if I have had to see her more often, I would've been more confident. Anyway, she treated me with compassion. She is a good doctor, knowing what she has to do. And I would recommend her to my friends.
Ask as many questions as you need. Get all the tests done.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My healt insurance covered the expenses

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else...Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.
Ralph Kazer
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.
Lia Bernardi

2015 - 2017, Successful
[Dr. Jared Robins was] willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available...we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test...he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility.
monitoring [at Northwestern Medicine] was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call... we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
I felt like Dr. Robins was accessible, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. he answered all our questions and never made us feel like they were stupid questions. he was genuinely excited for our success when it occurred and did all our post-implantation ultrasounds before we graduated to the regular OB. shared data in frank, accessible ways and made me feel confident that his goal was the same as ours. When asked about things like acupuncture, he said "look, we want you to get pregnant as soon as possible. if there was any evidence that anything improves those odds, we'd make (strongly advise, provide in the clinic) you do it - of course because we want you to be successful, but also because our success as a practice relies on our success rates, so we're going to do whatever it takes for our own self-interest as well." that made me feel really confident that he was being open and honest with us, as well as knowing that we were both invested in our success. It's great for a doctor to want you to be happy, but I liked knowing that he felt like he had a professional stake in it as well.
don't be afraid to ask all your questions - he'll give you the research behind why he's choosing a certain protocol
willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available. was very thoughtful and careful during transfer. laughed at my jokes :)
I was 34 at the time and we had male factor, with no indications/diagnosis that I should have any trouble. we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test. for the retrieval cycle, he used a long lupron protocol, which is his standard for a presumably healthy woman under 35. I used lupron, menopur, and follistim, at lower doses than a friend of mine who had diminished ovarian reserve but was also on the long lupron protocol. he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility. 13 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 5 embryos (grade 1, which was the best) fresh transfer of a single embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test frozen transfer of a single embryo (after sitting out a cycle to get my estrogen down) resulted in a live birth.
monitoring was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to my age and the quality of our embryos, since multiple pregnancies are riskier for both mom and babies. he told me "statistically, the embryos you have are going to be the number of babies they are going to be. if you transfer them in multiples vs single, it just speeds up the answer, but doesn't change it"

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success...Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] out of pocket (roughly $18,000)...Northwestern has great facilities both in the city and in Highland Park. Only Dr. Feinberg sees patients in Highland Park, so the office is pretty quiet, which is nice. The downtown office is busier and a few of the blood draw and ultrasound techs are not friendly, and a little friendliness goes a long way when you are getting poked in the arm and during a transvaginal ultrasound...I got to know Laura [nurse] after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg. Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success. I know Dr. Feinberg also works with women who want to freeze their eggs, and I've referred a few friends to her who are interested in this option. I've sought complementary treatment from many other professionals (acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, therapists) and all of them consistently say that Dr. Feinberg is the best. I'm hopeful that we will have success with donor eggs in the next few months with her.
Dr. Feinberg books up far in advance, so I recommend making a follow up appointment around when you know your next cycle will end, so you can meet with her to discuss a plan if pregnancy does not occur.
My husband and I had periodic appointments with Dr. Feinberg at Northwestern at various points in treatment. We felt that she provided thorough information (and I ask a lot of questions) and spent good time with us. Her nurse that we worked with (Laura) was good about follow-through. I felt that our treatment plan was customized to us and not just a one-size-fits-all approach.
We did protocols for diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), using estrogen pill or patch priming and then microdose lupron. She gave me the highest dose of Menopur and Follistim, but I only produced a few eggs at 2 retrievals. We tried for a third round of IVF, but I wasn't responding, so we converted to IUI. Dr. Feinberg made it clear that IVF/IUI are not necessarily the best treatment for DOR, and trying on our own was a fine option and that treatment may not be help. I appreciated this perspective.
I got to know Laura after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle out of pocket (roughly $18,000), In 2017 our round of IVF and a few IUIs were covered by insurance- thank god! It's ridiculously expensive.
For our first transfer, we only had one egg to transfer. For the second transfer, we had 2 and we transferred both. Looking back, I think we should have frozen them and transferred one at a time in following months after my body had calmed down a bit. I was ok with possibly having twins, but with the perspective I have now, transferring one at a time is best for the baby and the mother. Dr. Feinberg has written about this here: http://garnetnews.com/2017/03/12/twins-not-necessarily-double-blessing/

2016 - 2017, 15 Eggs Frozen
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process...I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success... I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients... I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.
Mary Ellen Pavone
2017, Unknown Success
She is a wonderful dr. Being that she also has gone though infertility she can related to her patients. She is a good listener and always has a plan of how to move forward. She treated me on the spot for one of my apts. that was not even scheduled.... Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding.
The nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine] is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!... Amazing facility! Super clean and the technology is all up to date! There is never more than 3 people in the waiting room, you truly feel like a patient and not just a number here!
Ask her anything and she will have an answer or get you one, she's great!
Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding. The office she works at has state of the art equipment. I never have felt rushed or confused working with her, she made a plan and I am currently under treatment!
I had been treated at a different dr for over a year and was not getting any results that were helpful. Dr. Fineburg was positive that she could get more then 8 /9 eggs retrieved (at my prior dr office in which only 4 out of both cycles made it and none resulted in pregnancy) and she did! I got 22 in which 8 made it. I did a fresh transfer and still was not pregnant. I am currently waiting on my ERA results to see if my implanting window needs to be adjusted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura W.)
The nursing staff is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!
$900 for ERA $1,500 for hystroscope $1,600 for retrieval
This is a conversation we had together and Dr. Fineburg listen and ultimately let my husband and I choose.
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
Chicago
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim [with Dr. Eve Feinberg] . We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal...She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.
Chicago
She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
Just to go to her in the first place!
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.