7.1

2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2016 - 2017, 15 Eggs Frozen
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process...I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success... I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients... I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.
Chicago

I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
2017, Unknown Success
She is a wonderful dr. Being that she also has gone though infertility she can related to her patients. She is a good listener and always has a plan of how to move forward. She treated me on the spot for one of my apts. that was not even scheduled.... Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding.
The nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine] is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!... Amazing facility! Super clean and the technology is all up to date! There is never more than 3 people in the waiting room, you truly feel like a patient and not just a number here!
Ask her anything and she will have an answer or get you one, she's great!
Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding. The office she works at has state of the art equipment. I never have felt rushed or confused working with her, she made a plan and I am currently under treatment!
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I had been treated at a different dr for over a year and was not getting any results that were helpful. Dr. Fineburg was positive that she could get more then 8 /9 eggs retrieved (at my prior dr office in which only 4 out of both cycles made it and none resulted in pregnancy) and she did! I got 22 in which 8 made it. I did a fresh transfer and still was not pregnant. I am currently waiting on my ERA results to see if my implanting window needs to be adjusted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura W.)
The nursing staff is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!
$900 for ERA $1,500 for hystroscope $1,600 for retrieval
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is a conversation we had together and Dr. Fineburg listen and ultimately let my husband and I choose.
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
Chicago
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim [with Dr. Eve Feinberg] . We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal...She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.
Chicago
She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Just to go to her in the first place!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, typically we've used max doses of gonadotropins and I've actually responded fairly well for what would be expected. I've also tried DHEA, Co-Q 10, various other supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture - have pretty much tried it all. Dr. Pavone always discussed these with me and most importantly went over the benefits and risks.
I felt that the IVF Coordinators [at Northwestern Medicine's Fertility Clinic] could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday...The new office space and lab are amazing - very state of the art. I like that they are open 7 days a week and that there is a doctor always on call for any emergent need. The monitoring runs smoothly and quickly.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and knows that data behind the most recent theories in fertility care. In being on this road for as long as we have, unfortunately, I've done a lot of reading and gotten A LOT of 'advice' from people who really think they understand fertility better than specialists. No matter what crazy thing I brought to Dr. Pavone, she always took time to discuss peer-reviewed literature and why something made sense or didn't make sense.
She has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of our fertility care to both me and my husband and returned my calls promptly when she could (i.e. wasn't in the operating room or seeing other patients in clinic).
I felt that the IVF Coordinators could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I felt like this clinic is a well-oiled machine in the mornings. There are certainly some patients who complain a lot about having to do any waiting but I felt that if you got there somewhat early, you would get in and out in good time.
Fortunately, our insurance has covered all of our procedures. We've only had to pay copays for procedures and medications.
Chicago

She [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone] was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, an
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone], but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
She was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, and one appointment after to check-in before she released us to an OBGYN. This was through 4 rounds of IVF, so it seemed like we didn't really know her or she us.
She is blunt, expect that. Come with questions if you care about the intricate details of your treatment.
She was very cold and didn't have a good bedside manner. At one point, I thought I had miscarried and went into the office for a checkup. We heard the heartbeat, but didn't know what it was - my husband had to ask to confirm that all looked OK, and she replied with a short, "yes". I started crying, and she didn't acknowledge it. It just seemed a bit callous and not the right response. I would have expected her to tell us as soon as she knew everything looked OK, and possibly to offer some reassuring words (or at least a tissue). In previous meetings, she had also been very short. She answered our questions, but seemed distant. I just figured that's how it was, until I met some of the other doctors who were way more understanding and empathetic (through appointments for embryo transfers and retrievals...it is just done by the doctor in the office that day, not necessarily your own doctor).
I don't remember.
The nursing staff was fine. Because of the way they were set up, you didn't really get to know any of them. They required only phone conversations or messages - no email. They also each worked on different days...so of the 3 nurses, one worked M,W,F and one worked T,W,Th, etc. It was hard to remember which worked when and each had separate lines, so if you needed to reach someone that day, it was annoying because if I called one that wasn't working that day, I would just have to call back and leave a message for another. They were responsive though and and usually called back within 4 hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor, but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
It was kind of like a cattle call, but I actually liked how efficient it was.
My insurance paid for it.
She told us about SET and seemed to want us to choose that. We didn't, and she didn't seem to care. Although she didn't really seem to care about us, so it isn't that surprising.
At any clinic, during the 1.5 years I was attending regularly, I would expect some random things to happen. Overall, the care was good and the "issues" weren't really big issues that affected my treatment in anyway.
Chicago

I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses.... I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols... For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days....
The nursing staff [Northwestern Med] was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI....Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends....The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff....Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barnes was great for our initial and IVF consults. He answered our questions clearly (and there were a lot!) and was prompt with follow-up questions I sent through the patient portal. I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols, but ultimately I think we would have ended up doing IVF anyway.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Advocate for yourself! Ask questions and make sure you are clear on answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses. There are a lot of patients at this clinic, which can make you feel like a number, especially during early morning monitoring appointments. However, all of my nurses were wonderful about communicating with me directly and responding to my questions quickly.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days. On day 15 I added 10 units of Lupron, which I stayed on through my stimulation phase. I began 150 units of Follistim and 150 units of Menopur on day 2 of my cycle. From there I stayed on the same dose for 13 days, along with the 10 units of Follistim. On day 13 I decreased the Lupron to 5 units and added the Ovidrel trigger. Egg retrieval was scheduled for day 15. 12 eggs were retrieved, with 11 being mature. 8 fertilized normally with ICSI. On day 3 we went in for transfer and still had 8 growing. We transferred two 8-cell embryos and on day 6 two were still growing and were then frozen. I tested positive 7 days after my transfer and had my beta 10 days post transfer. A week and a half after my positive beta I went in for an ultrasound where we saw one gestational sac; a week later we saw one fetus and the heartbeat. Our daughter was born in February 2017 at full term.
The nursing staff was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Academic institution, good results, high quality, seamless process (runs like a well-oiled machine). The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff. They're always cheery and friendly, which is helpful during a stressful time. Weakness: Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself. The early morning monitoring appointments are great for working women, but it can sometimes feel like you're being shuffled from lab to ultrasound and then waiting for a nurse to meet with you or contact you (for IVF they would call me later that morning). Above all, advocate for yourself. Do not be afraid to ask questions or push for a specific protocol if you think it will help.
Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends. Only once was there a line out the door in the five months I worked with this clinic. The other mornings it was a breeze to check in, wait to be called for lab/ultrasound, meet with nurse (for IUI only), and then make a new appointment or head to work to wait for more information pending lab results (IVF). It's a well oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think our meds were around $2700 (with insurance) and most of our procedures were covered by insurance. In the end I think we spent around $2K toward procedures, including embryo freezing, which was not covered by my insurance.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Barnes pushed SET and advised against transferring multiple embryos. We felt more comfortable with two and we were OK with the possibility of multiples. He was out of the office the day of the transfer and his chief, Dr. Jared Robins, did our transfer with one of the fellows (Dr. Okeigwe). Dr. Robins suggested transferring two embryos based on quality and my age. Be advised that Dr. Barnes will try to push you toward SET.
Randall Barnes
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work....I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
[Northwest Fertility] is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work. He returns my calls and welcomes me to call him on his cell phone. I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be clear and direct because he can ramble off his thoughts when answering your questions and the you leave the coversation feeling like you never got an answer
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Robins was my third dr. He was my second dr at Northwestern. He looked at my history and thought outside of the box to Taylor a protocol that worked for me.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My main issue was scar tissue in the uterine cavity and developing a thick uterine lining. Dr. Robins put me on Lupron and estrogen patches leading up to transfer and the results were good each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb And Joyce )
My original nurse left the clinic in May of 2015. The other nurse I felt comfortable with is compassionate and is helpful most times.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Donor cycle was roughly $16,000 IUI was covered by insurance. Frozen embryo transfers were between $5-$6k hysteroscopies laparoscopy HSG MRI were all covered by insurance.
During a cycle for frozen embryo transfer. I was with Dr. Madgy Milad. I have a known history for early ovulation and Dr. Milad failed to acknowledge that fact. My cycle had to be canceled.
Chicago
Felt like he [Dr. Jared Robins] cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner...First did workup, established that I had PCOS and my husband had a low sperm count. Once we had these results, immediately started me on femara for ovulation regulation, and started IUIs to increase the chances of husband's sperm getting to egg. Unfortunately we had no pregnancies after 3 IUIs. Once we had tried IUI 3 times we advanced to IVF (which Dr. Robins said we would likely need from the get-go, though he was pleased w/ my response to femara and my husbands counts so he felt several trials of IUI were appropriate). For IVF I was started on Menopur and Cetrotide, which I responded well to. Used ovidrel once the eggs were ready. Also as Dr. Robins predicted, I responded very well to low doses of these medications. We became pregnant with a single embryo fresh transfer at 5 days. We still have 3 frozen embryos in the clinic.
[Northwestern's] Strengths - well located, clean and gorgeous. Excellent nursing and doctor staff. Weaknesses - dealt with some billing errors which were slow to be corrected, sometimes waiting room staff could be a little ornery (which I can hardly blame them for, dealing with 10s to 100s of anxious ladies a day)....The way the clinic is run, you will not see Dr. Robins too often, but he is overseeing your care. He is blunt but honest and will work to get you the results you desire. He has a huge knowledge base and always makes you feel as if you are in good hands.
I felt Dr. Robins was very candid and honest with me, which I appreciated. He felt our prognosis was good, which made me feel hopeful. Though I did not see him as often as I saw other providers in his clinic, he always responded to calls promptly when I wanted to speak with him and made me feel cared for.
Felt like he cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner.
The nurses were fabulous. They were compassionate and kind and prompt with responding. They never let questions go unanswered. It was a bit harder to get a hold of the IVF nurse, though I think she was extremely busy, and she always got in touch within a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was a bit of a cattle call experience, though there are so many u/s techs that generally the wait was pretty short.
Costs were minimal, was largely covered by insurance, with copays. Overall I think we spent under $2000 (several things werent covered, ie embryo freezing)
On several occasions nurses forgot to put in orders for labs, prescriptions and appointments, but these were quickly corrected once I or a lab tech noticed the mistake. All were easily rectified. No treatments were ever cancelled or messed up due to one of these small errors.
2005 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me...Dr. Kazer was kind and compassionate. He was upfront with all information clearly set objectives. He was confident and professional while maintaining a good bedside manner. He always returned phone calls and called with test results himself...I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work...The nurses were so friendly. With the multiple visits, they were always so friendly and kind. They seemed like friends by the time the process was over...We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make an appointment with him. He knows his profession and is an amazing doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me. I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
With my son, we used clomid first to stimulate growth. We then moved on to IUI. Again we used clomid and injections to release the eggs. We had 3 IUI resulting in 1 single successful pregnancy. When I went back to see Dr. Kazer to conceive again, we went directly to IUI. Clomid and an injection to release eggs. After one failed IUI, we began the IVF process. I cannot remember the drug names. I used some hormonal injections to grow eggs. We did the retrieval and progesterone shots following. I had 2 single transfers of embryos and then transferred 2 embryos resulting in multiple(twin) pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work.
It was very efficient. Hours of availability made the process easier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered most everything. We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kazer gave me the choice for the eSET and then recommended the multiple embryo transfer when the 2 eSET were unsuccessful
Ralph Kazer

2003 - 2010, Successful
He [Dr Edmond Confino] took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Loved that [Norwthestern Fertility] was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins...As a strength for me was [Dr Confino's] complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
As a strength for me was his complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask how many Confino babies there are - so many.... If you don't like direct, use another doctor. If you are mater a fact he's a super fit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Describe the protocols Edmond Confino used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with oral meds to stimulate ovulation results. We quickly detected a cyst on an ovary that was going to be drained. Upon consult with another doctor there was concern of cancer. It was removed via laperscopic surgery when Stage 4 endometrious was discovered. That accelerated treatment after healing into IVF. One IVF process was successful for a couple weeks before miscarriage. We then took time under medical process to suppress my system (mini-menopause) so we might have a better shot at the next round of IVF. That healing and suppressing journey added time. From there we tried one more time on IVF and just could not produce viable eggs that could sustain. This far into the journey we were open to the idea of egg donation. We interviewed two companies and begin that new journey. Our first donor was rejected by the clinic on the day of extraction because she admitted to smoking. We were heart broken and had to start over. We would have used her eggs but the clinic has strict expectations. Our next donor and implantation was success - 2 in and 2 out.
I became very familiar with my care coordinator/nurse. She had to deliver bad news to me on several occasions. She was available, called when she said and was compassionate when the news was bad and excited for me when it was moving in the right direction.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Loved that is was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins.
It was handled very efficiently in my opinion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Don't really recall. It was very expensive and by the time we hit the 3rd round we were at the ceiling of our coverage. They enabled me to turn in my unused meds as a credit towards the donor process.
Chicago

My husband and I are people that like to just get to the point, Dr. Robins was always incredibly informative and was to the point without seeming like he was insensitive to our situation. He had confidence in what he was doing that gave us peace of mind. ... I am in the medical field, and he never spoke to me like I didn't understand what was going on. He never made us feel like he was in a rush (even if he was). He answered every single question with us that we had and always takes his time to make sure we felt prepared for the next steps.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time. ... They [nurses] are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
Trust the process, knowing that you are in good hands.
We have only had a plethora of testing done at this point, we have not yet moved forward with IVF cycles at this point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
They are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time.
All I can remember is IVF is approximately 10,000 out of pocket- not including medications.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He firmly believes in only transferring one embryo to avoid complications.
Chicago

Dr Bernardi always remembered everything about my case and was so compassionate. She would frequently call me if something came up and didn’t only rely on her nurses to share sensitive information. I always feel completely taken care of when I meet with her or talk to her and know she’s doing everything in her power to help me have a successful pregnancy.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. ... I had 100% insurance coverage for everything except PGS testing which ended up being about $4000 total
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you get her as your doctor!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Bernardi is the most caring and compassionate doctor I’ve ever had. She always takes the time to make me feel like she’s a partner in this with me and my husband.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- they are at the cutting edge of all new treatments so I always feel confident in their suggestions or advice. They are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. While I absolutely love Dr Bernardi I haven’t loved the other doctors in the practice and wish she could be the one doing everything for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We are only doing single embryo transfers
Lia Bernardi
2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Boots] did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
The clinic employees are always friendly and warm. The hours were helpful being that you could come in before work when it was convenient for you. The clinic separated non-pregnant patients from pregnant patients and I always appreciated that because seeing a pregnant person during my infertility struggles was difficult. ... Nurse Kelsey always called to deliver news, and even when it was bad, She was straight to the point, and she was compassionate. Kelsey always gave clear directions through my chart and quickly responded to questions.
Dr Boots was a wonderful, caring doctor. From our first visit she made us feel comfortable and made us feel heard. She used diagrams to help explain the process and answered all the questions we had. Our journey felt slow at times and not everything worked successfully, but Dr Boots was available to answer questions, always called to talk through solutions, and helped me understand next steps.
She did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Boots would only do a single embryo transfer for my age category given that I had previously become pregnant.
Chicago

We tried several different strategies over the course of our treatment. I felt like Dr. Feinberg did a good job of adjusting the strategy to our situation over time. ... Dr. Feinberg did a very good job explaining everything as we went through the process. She was great at being available for in-person consultations or phone calls when things weren't going well, and took the time to make sure all our questions were answered.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated. ... Monitoring occurred in the very early morning ... I loved our primary nurse, Kelsey. She was SO quick to respond and available, and was an excellent point person for our care.
Trust her, she knows what she's doing. :)
I think Dr. Feinberg did a good job of being present emotionally when the situation called for it. The clinic is very efficiently run, which may make some feel like they are being treated like a number, but I really appreciated the efficiency.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated.
Monitoring occurred in the very early morning, which was tough on me, but they were very efficient and well-run.
I was lucky, my costs were covered by my husband's insurance.
Dr. Feinberg had some opinions to offer on this topic, but in our case was very open to what we wanted, which was single embryo transfers.
2015 - 2017, Successful
I have had great experiences with Dr Robins. He is both blunt and kind. I appreciate that he explains everything in detail and his advice is grounded in scientific evidence. He was so supportive and always reachable. He paitently, thoughtfully and thoroughly answered all my questions. Plus he was always reachable, even if it meant he had to call us back at 9pm from his cell phone at a conference!
They [Northwestern Medicine] are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice...From the front desk staff to the technicians to the nurses, the team is kind and efficient. I never felt like a number even though the practice is extremely busy all the time...
Don't be afraid to ask questions
He always knew all the details of my specific case when we spoke -- without needing to stare at my chart. He always personally called back when I left messages and never rushes me off the phone (or out of the room). It felt like he's even keep the conversation going intentionally so I could have time to remember and ask all my questions
I don't recall the specifics. We did two fresh IVF cycles, the second resulting in a pregnancy. We just came back for a frozen cycle using PIO, Endometrin and Estrace, and I am currently pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Staci)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice
They strongly encourage eSET when appropriate for the patient and explain the medical rationale behind it.

2014, Successful
He [Dr Edmond Confino] was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good/comfortable. He would call personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.) He was positive/optimistic but at the same time tried to be realistic.
All staff at NM [Northwestern Medicine] were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!...I think the clinic is great! It was easy to schedule all tests and procedures. They were really flexible with timing. I could see results pretty fast on my online account (which was great as well.)
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good/comfortable. He would call personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.) He was positive/optimistic but at the same time tried to be realistic.
Talk to your doctor; tell him your preference; work together as a team...
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good. He called personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.)
I had some blood work done first; then they checked my tubes and uterus to make sure I didn't have any issues there. I wanted to try first anything possible without hormones/drugs. So Doctor understood and worked with me. We did our first IUI without any hormones and it worked from the first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I don't remember her name)
All staff at NM were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember plus my health insurance covers most of it
2020, Unknown Success
I think that Dr. Pavone so far has been professional and came with a good plan. The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. ... I think that Dr. Pavone was professional and after consultation with our current situation she came with a good plan. We are eager to start the process of IUI or IVF after Clovis-19 is over.
Quick appointments [at Northwestern Med] for test and results. Very clean and organized. Felt a warm environment. Weakness is that they didn’t communicate to us the results of my husband the second time and we had to call to find out that the results were out ... The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. The nurses are good as well.
I think that Dr. Pavone so far has been professional and came with a good plan. The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. The nurses are good as well. We still didn’t start our fertility treatment due to Covid. The tests so far were done in a proper manner.
Ask as many questions and do search at home to what to expect
We have been prescribed some vitamins for my hubby to increase his sperm motility and concentration. Meanwhile I have been prescribed clomid and a shot when I will start the IUI process
The nurses are very helpful and friendly
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Quick appointments for test and results. Very clean and organized. Felt a warm environment. Weakness is that they didn’t communicate to us the results of my husband the second time and we had to call to find out that the results were out
Around 1k after our insurance
They did not communicate to us that the results of my husband were out and they weren’t out on the app as well
Chicago

Dr Robins has all of the FACTS! He is super knowledgeable and can answer all my questions well. That's what most of our discussions were about, facts of the tests, results, and next steps. I feel confident in what he tells us. If you are looking for special, tender care, Dr Robins may not be it for you. I need facts and look at things analytically, so I think it is a good match...Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!...I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole...recommend single embryo transfer if we start IVF in February...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole [at Northwestern Medicine]...All of the nurses at NW are very nice and caring. What I appreciate the most is there super fast responses to questions sent in the portal...They keep things on time! I never have to wait too long. The front desk staff and phone staff are always patient and very kind. There is an awesome view of the lake from the clinic, which some days is a nice stress reliever. Coffee, water, tea and snacks are available as well...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Dr Robins recommend single embryo transfer if we start IVF in February

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Eve Feinberg is one of the most caring and realistic doctors I have ever had. She is very smart and knowledgeable and will work with you throughout your entire fertility journey.I really feel like I am an important patient, even though I know she has hundreds... Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
My only complaint with this clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.... Danielle has been an excellent nurse and very accommodating to any requests or questions I've had. She is always compassionate and smart and has been with me since the beginning.
Dr. Feinberg has been a great resource for me. Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
Call as soon as you know you want to see a fertility specialist as she sometimes has a waiting list.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only complaint with this clinic is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Feinberg] was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available. ... She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. ...
The only weakness I can think of is that they [Northwestern Medicine] only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though. ... nurses were incredibly responsive not only in person, but also on the patient portal. very attentive and compassionate as well. ... IUIs were about $1000 each including actual procedure, medications and blood work. Cost of single IVF is planned to be about $15,000
She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. Very considerate and was an expert on the topic.
Do as much research up-front and prepared with all of your questions when meeting with the doctor
She was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available.
She started us out on timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUIs, followed by IVF- all cycles with Letrozole/Femara protocol.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The only weakness I can think of is that they only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though.
Chicago
He [Dr. Jain] was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion...I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one... I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well...It felt very personal, like family...[Nursing staff] Great experience took there time with me very understanding and showed concerns, answered questions quickly all around just nice...he [Dr. Jain] send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
This is a long process and you have to be mentally prepared
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It felt very personal, like family
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one, I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered everything OOP less then 5k
Tarun Jain
Chicago

She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is very blunt and doesn’t sugar coat things- which I appreciated. She is also very realistic. She helped to set realistic expectations. Sometimes I wonder if we should have tried an additional cycle before moving to donor eggs but we could never afforded it.... Being DOR- I was pushed pretty hard with drugs. The first try at IVF resulted in 3 follicles so the cycles was converted to IUI. The second try only had two follicles- So we cancelled and did not do an IUI because later discovered a Male Factor. These cancellations saved us a lot of money.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine- Chicago] is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.... Stacey was my favorite- I don’t think she was a nurse but she did most of my appointments. (Saline sonograms, etc)
She is very blunt and doesn’t sugar coat things- which I appreciated. She is also very realistic. She helped to set realistic expectations. Sometimes I wonder if we should have tried an additional cycle before moving to donor eggs but we could never afforded it.
Her calendar fills up very quickly- so book now!
She was very involved in my treatment and really listened to our needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Stacey was amazing!)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.
I believe a full IVF cycle was around 10k-12k, plus meds.
We never reached this point.