Magdy Milad

Highland Park, IL 60035
Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

Dr. Barnes did not seem interested in actually seeing me as a patient or making sure that I was taken care of. I only saw him for the initial consultation and then once I was finally pregnant (before miscarrying). Once he determined that I was likely miscarrying and could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, he fell off the radar and left me hanging without confirming if I did or did not have a tubal pregnancy... I would be prepared to see very little of him.
I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic [Northwestern Medicine] called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic...The nursing staff was great at this facility...The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I am unsure of how Dr. Barnes is as an IVF doctor, but if you are going to see him for anything less, I would be prepared to see very little of him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I was doing timed intercourse with letrozole to induce ovulation. I rarely ever saw Dr. Barnes. I only saw him for my initial visit and once I was pregnant and ready to go in for an ultrasound. When I did go in for an ultrasound and it was determined that he could not see anything on the ultrasound, he told me I could have a tubal pregnancy and that they would call with more information the next day. I did not hear from them for days, despite my trying to contact them on my own. I was worried that if it was tubal, I was at risk of my fallopian tube bursting and losing it. Only when I had my OBGYN get in touch with the office did they ask for me to come in for another ultrasound, but Dr. Barnes did not see me - another Dr. in the office did. This is when they told me they did not think it was a tubal pregnancy, but I did, in fact, miscarry for the 2nd time. I felt like, because I was not an IVF patient but rather on the timed intercourse/medicated cycle, I was not worth his time.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
In my initial consultation, Dr. Barnes' assistant doctor diagnosed me with PCOS based on my ultrasound. (I had gone a significant amount of time without menstruating). I then met with Dr. Barnes and he determined that I should start on letrozole to encourage follicle growth, then once I had sufficient follicles, I would take a trigger shot to induce ovulation. I was able to get pregnant twice, but miscarried both times. I do believe that the treatment strategy was effective an appropriate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Neive Hanak)
The nursing staff was great at this facility. Without them, this place would seem like nothing but a baby-mill.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy, it almost seemed like a baby-mill.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I'm not sure if it was the doctor's fault or the clinic's fault, but when I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic.
Chicago

She [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone] was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, an
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone], but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, and one appointment after to check-in before she released us to an OBGYN. This was through 4 rounds of IVF, so it seemed like we didn't really know her or she us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She is blunt, expect that. Come with questions if you care about the intricate details of your treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was very cold and didn't have a good bedside manner. At one point, I thought I had miscarried and went into the office for a checkup. We heard the heartbeat, but didn't know what it was - my husband had to ask to confirm that all looked OK, and she replied with a short, "yes". I started crying, and she didn't acknowledge it. It just seemed a bit callous and not the right response. I would have expected her to tell us as soon as she knew everything looked OK, and possibly to offer some reassuring words (or at least a tissue). In previous meetings, she had also been very short. She answered our questions, but seemed distant. I just figured that's how it was, until I met some of the other doctors who were way more understanding and empathetic (through appointments for embryo transfers and retrievals...it is just done by the doctor in the office that day, not necessarily your own doctor).
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I don't remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff was fine. Because of the way they were set up, you didn't really get to know any of them. They required only phone conversations or messages - no email. They also each worked on different days...so of the 3 nurses, one worked M,W,F and one worked T,W,Th, etc. It was hard to remember which worked when and each had separate lines, so if you needed to reach someone that day, it was annoying because if I called one that wasn't working that day, I would just have to call back and leave a message for another. They were responsive though and and usually called back within 4 hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor, but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was kind of like a cattle call, but I actually liked how efficient it was.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance paid for it.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She told us about SET and seemed to want us to choose that. We didn't, and she didn't seem to care. Although she didn't really seem to care about us, so it isn't that surprising.
At any clinic, during the 1.5 years I was attending regularly, I would expect some random things to happen. Overall, the care was good and the "issues" weren't really big issues that affected my treatment in anyway.
Chicago

I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses.... I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols... For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days....
The nursing staff [Northwestern Med] was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI....Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends....The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff....Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself.
Dr. Barnes was great for our initial and IVF consults. He answered our questions clearly (and there were a lot!) and was prompt with follow-up questions I sent through the patient portal. I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols, but ultimately I think we would have ended up doing IVF anyway.
Advocate for yourself! Ask questions and make sure you are clear on answers.
I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses. There are a lot of patients at this clinic, which can make you feel like a number, especially during early morning monitoring appointments. However, all of my nurses were wonderful about communicating with me directly and responding to my questions quickly.
For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days. On day 15 I added 10 units of Lupron, which I stayed on through my stimulation phase. I began 150 units of Follistim and 150 units of Menopur on day 2 of my cycle. From there I stayed on the same dose for 13 days, along with the 10 units of Follistim. On day 13 I decreased the Lupron to 5 units and added the Ovidrel trigger. Egg retrieval was scheduled for day 15. 12 eggs were retrieved, with 11 being mature. 8 fertilized normally with ICSI. On day 3 we went in for transfer and still had 8 growing. We transferred two 8-cell embryos and on day 6 two were still growing and were then frozen. I tested positive 7 days after my transfer and had my beta 10 days post transfer. A week and a half after my positive beta I went in for an ultrasound where we saw one gestational sac; a week later we saw one fetus and the heartbeat. Our daughter was born in February 2017 at full term.
The nursing staff was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Academic institution, good results, high quality, seamless process (runs like a well-oiled machine). The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff. They're always cheery and friendly, which is helpful during a stressful time. Weakness: Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself. The early morning monitoring appointments are great for working women, but it can sometimes feel like you're being shuffled from lab to ultrasound and then waiting for a nurse to meet with you or contact you (for IVF they would call me later that morning). Above all, advocate for yourself. Do not be afraid to ask questions or push for a specific protocol if you think it will help.
Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends. Only once was there a line out the door in the five months I worked with this clinic. The other mornings it was a breeze to check in, wait to be called for lab/ultrasound, meet with nurse (for IUI only), and then make a new appointment or head to work to wait for more information pending lab results (IVF). It's a well oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think our meds were around $2700 (with insurance) and most of our procedures were covered by insurance. In the end I think we spent around $2K toward procedures, including embryo freezing, which was not covered by my insurance.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Barnes pushed SET and advised against transferring multiple embryos. We felt more comfortable with two and we were OK with the possibility of multiples. He was out of the office the day of the transfer and his chief, Dr. Jared Robins, did our transfer with one of the fellows (Dr. Okeigwe). Dr. Robins suggested transferring two embryos based on quality and my age. Be advised that Dr. Barnes will try to push you toward SET.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work....I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
[Northwest Fertility] is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work. He returns my calls and welcomes me to call him on his cell phone. I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be clear and direct because he can ramble off his thoughts when answering your questions and the you leave the coversation feeling like you never got an answer
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Robins was my third dr. He was my second dr at Northwestern. He looked at my history and thought outside of the box to Taylor a protocol that worked for me.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My main issue was scar tissue in the uterine cavity and developing a thick uterine lining. Dr. Robins put me on Lupron and estrogen patches leading up to transfer and the results were good each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb And Joyce )
My original nurse left the clinic in May of 2015. The other nurse I felt comfortable with is compassionate and is helpful most times.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Donor cycle was roughly $16,000 IUI was covered by insurance. Frozen embryo transfers were between $5-$6k hysteroscopies laparoscopy HSG MRI were all covered by insurance.
During a cycle for frozen embryo transfer. I was with Dr. Madgy Milad. I have a known history for early ovulation and Dr. Milad failed to acknowledge that fact. My cycle had to be canceled.
Jared Robins
Chicago
Felt like he [Dr. Jared Robins] cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner...First did workup, established that I had PCOS and my husband had a low sperm count. Once we had these results, immediately started me on femara for ovulation regulation, and started IUIs to increase the chances of husband's sperm getting to egg. Unfortunately we had no pregnancies after 3 IUIs. Once we had tried IUI 3 times we advanced to IVF (which Dr. Robins said we would likely need from the get-go, though he was pleased w/ my response to femara and my husbands counts so he felt several trials of IUI were appropriate). For IVF I was started on Menopur and Cetrotide, which I responded well to. Used ovidrel once the eggs were ready. Also as Dr. Robins predicted, I responded very well to low doses of these medications. We became pregnant with a single embryo fresh transfer at 5 days. We still have 3 frozen embryos in the clinic.
[Northwestern's] Strengths - well located, clean and gorgeous. Excellent nursing and doctor staff. Weaknesses - dealt with some billing errors which were slow to be corrected, sometimes waiting room staff could be a little ornery (which I can hardly blame them for, dealing with 10s to 100s of anxious ladies a day)....The way the clinic is run, you will not see Dr. Robins too often, but he is overseeing your care. He is blunt but honest and will work to get you the results you desire. He has a huge knowledge base and always makes you feel as if you are in good hands.
I felt Dr. Robins was very candid and honest with me, which I appreciated. He felt our prognosis was good, which made me feel hopeful. Though I did not see him as often as I saw other providers in his clinic, he always responded to calls promptly when I wanted to speak with him and made me feel cared for.
Felt like he cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner.
The nurses were fabulous. They were compassionate and kind and prompt with responding. They never let questions go unanswered. It was a bit harder to get a hold of the IVF nurse, though I think she was extremely busy, and she always got in touch within a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was a bit of a cattle call experience, though there are so many u/s techs that generally the wait was pretty short.
Costs were minimal, was largely covered by insurance, with copays. Overall I think we spent under $2000 (several things werent covered, ie embryo freezing)
On several occasions nurses forgot to put in orders for labs, prescriptions and appointments, but these were quickly corrected once I or a lab tech noticed the mistake. All were easily rectified. No treatments were ever cancelled or messed up due to one of these small errors.
Jared Robins
Chicago

He [Dr. Barnes] seems a little shy so I had trouble talking to him at times, especially after the miscarriage. He is very competent and knowledgeable...This was not Dr. Barnes fault, but I did my first IUI with his office. I didn't know what to expect, so after the insemination they told me to wait for 10 minutes on the table. I thought they would let me know when 10 minutes was up and I didn't have a watch or a phone. No one came in so after 45 minutes I got up still not really sure how much time had passed. Northwestern is a really busy clinic so I did feel like a number sometimes...
They [Northwestern Med] know what they are doing and have a strong process. They see a lot of patients so you won't always get the personal attention you might want...I like the nursing staff but wish I had a primary nurse through the whole process. I interacted with a lot of different nurses there...Make sure you ask lots of questions and understand every fully during all procedures. Get support from a therapist or a support group from the beginning of your fertility treatments! I wish the doctors and staff had talked to me about this from my first appointment...
Dr. Barnes is a nice man, but I have always preferred female doctors. It was hard to get an appointment and he was the only one available when I could come in. He seems a little shy so I had trouble talking to him at times, especially after the miscarriage. He is very competent and knowledgeable.
I did one IUI with him with 50 mg of Clomid.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They know what they are doing and have a strong process. They see a lot of patients so you won't always get the personal attention you might want.
Insurance covered almost all of it luckily.
Chicago
I spent much more time with the nurses than with Dr. Barnes, but I felt like he was always friendly and helpful and knew what he was talking about. He laid out short- and long-term plans for treatment, so I knew what to expect...I believe I took letrazole with a shot each time- the plan was to do this for 3 cycles and then continue but with IUI added. We got pregnant the third time around.
It really was just that sometimes the nurses [at Northwestern] didn't know where I was at in a cycle or gave me conflicting information about say, how many treatments I had left until I moved on to IUI. We were always able to sort it out through MyChart though...The clinic was really beautiful and serene, and there was an order to it that made me feel like they had done this many times before (in a good way).
You might get pregnant sooner than you expect!
Sometimes nurses didn't seem to know where I was at on the schedule
They were incredibly sweet and kind, but I found that sometimes they gave information that conflicted with what Dr. Barnes or other nurses had said.
I don't remember
It really was just that sometimes the nurses didn't know where I was at in a cycle or gave me conflicting information about say, how many treatments I had left until I moved on to IUI. We were always able to sort it out through MyChart though.
Chicago
[Dr. Confino is...] Extremely warm and kind. when things were not clear he made sure to call me himself and spent 45 minutes on the phone with me...Dr Confino is one of the warmest and kindest doctors. He is very personable and has a hilarious sense of humor. During difficult times it was such an asset to have a doctor like him...
My only criticism of the [Northwestern Med] clinic which I told them as well was that I felt like I felll through the cracks one weekend. You don't have a nurse who is reviewing your file and is in charge of you. . They said they were working towards a system like that...Be assertive and ask questions as you are seen by the nurses routinely and they don't always explain the whole picture...
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
My only criticism of the clinic which I told them as well was that I felt like I felll through the cracks one weekend. You don't have a nurse who is reviewing your file and is in charge of you. . They said they were working towards a system like that
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr Pavone] was open to trying knew things, up to a point, but we finally had to move on when she refused to try any other protocols and was convinced we should be moving onto DE (donor egg). I have DOR and was responding poorly to her protocols----she tried EPP with high doses of follistim/menopur and threw in ganirelix at the end, and when two rounds of that yielded very low follicles, she then tried clomid, followed by follistim/menopur/ganirelix when I commented on how I seemed to respond much better to clomid than I did all the expensive injectables. I did better on the clomid, but still not that great,
It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication....One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
I actually liked Dr. Pavone initially quite a bit and found her good at accepting suggestions and letting me pursue some more testing that a second opinion doctor had given me when we weren't making progress. She was open to trying knew things, up to a point, but we finally had to move on when she refused to try any other protocols and was convinced we should be moving onto DE (donor egg). I have DOR and was responding poorly to her protocols----she tried EPP with high doses of follistim/menopur and threw in ganirelix at the end, and when two rounds of that yielded very low follicles, she then tried clomid, followed by follistim/menopur/ganirelix when I commented on how I seemed to respond much better to clomid than I did all the expensive injectables. I did better on the clomid, but still not that great, yet she wouldn't try anything else, not even a micro-dose lupron protocol. If we wanted to proceed with her, it would have to be with the clomid protocol, which could only be done a few times due to limits on clomid exposure, and even then, she was pushing us to consider DE or adoption, which we had told her wasn't an option for us at this time. I do think that compared to the other docs at NW, she's one of the best and she's the most liberal (besides Dr. Marsh) and aggressive. She just gave up on my quicker than I think she should have, especially since I am only 37 (young for IVF, I keep being told).
Be proactive and keep doing your own research. She is not going to give lots of suggestions or think outside the box for you, but is open to trying things if you want to (ie, she let me have a laparoscopy after my 3rd failed attempt at ER when I asked about it and also did a huge panel of immunology testing at my request even though I hadn't had recurring miscarriages---I wanted testing b/c I wanted information preemptively in case it could prevent a miscarriage should we ever get pregnant).
It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication. While monitoring, when you get your ultrasounds at Northwestern, the US techs are NOT allowed to discussed the ultrasound with you at all, so you have to awkwardly have your vagina probed by someone when you're dying to know if your follicles are progressing or not, but instead, you have to wait about 5-6 hours for a nurse who has never met you to give you your update. That part is very dehumanizing. Dr. Pavone, however, was more humane and if I had a question for her, she would attempt to answer it, although her written communication skills are very frustrating. and it often felt like she hadn't even read or comprehended my questions. Via phone or in person, she was much better, though, and I was satisfied with her answers. One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
for IUIs---clomid CDs 2-6 and then ovidrel trigger, used ultrasound monitoring. IVFs---1st and 2nd attempts, did estrogen priming then started follistim/menopur once menses started, then added in ganirelix towards the end. Pavone felt this was the best approach for women with DOR. Both of these cycles yielded very low follicle development; 2 mature eggs the first round, and then the second was converted to IUI (and only then b/c I insisted I wasn't wasting an insurance-covered ER on 1-2 follicles). First round had nothing to transfer. Obviously BFNs both those rounds 3rd and 4th IVF attempts: clomid 150mg CD 2-5, then added on follistim/menopur/saizen/ganirelix. Better follicle recruitment, 3rd round poor egg quality, but 4th round, finally with 3 perfect embryos to transfer. For the 4th attempt, it should be noted that I had started to use a ton of antioxidant supplements recommended by a 2nd opinion RE and had also started seeing a chinese medicine practitioner and was using chinese herbs and acupuncture weekly). BFNs both those rounds. Pavone like the response to clomid and didn't want to change anything up if we proceeded with her.
There was a high turnover with the nursing staff---some of them were great, but then I also had a couple who clearly didn't know how ovulation and the hormones were related (ie, checking progesterone the day of ovulation isn't actually going to show you anything b/c it won't have risen by then, but the nurse insisted on doing it anyways). One nurse clearly was in a bad mood when doing my IUI (they do all the IUIs at Northwestern---not the docs) which was really awkward. Half the time, they didn't know why I was there and I'd have to tell them, since they didn't seem to keep notes in the charts. Also, you have to play phone tag all the time b/c they never actually answer the phone, so you have to leave a message to call back and then hope you are able to answer it when they do.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
it's a new clinic, so it's state of the art and has a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. The phlebotomists are friendly and so are the US techs, but you are not allowed to ask the techs anything about what they see on the US (also, you are not allowed to see the US screen when they're doing your US---how awkward!). It does run pretty smoothly, though, and you can be out of there by 7:30a if you have to go in for monitoring. It can feel a little like a cattle call, though, b/c women start lining up in the hallway before it opens and you are standing in line with a bunch of women whose hormones are raging and you're all pissed that you're waiting. I think if they just opened the doors and let people come sit in the waiting room, it would feel more civilized.
See earlier comment about the clinic. Monitoring hours are 7a-7:45 M-F and 8a-8:30 on Sat/Sun. If you weren't there before 7 and standing in line, it could take up to an hour to get out, but it's faster than trying to get monitoring done at FCI.
IUIs were about $1200 each with the ultrasounds, meds, and actual insemination. IVFs were covered under insurance once I changed plans, but would've been 8-9K for the package, not including medicine costs. Office visits were $250-350 and the labs were expensive, too, since they were through Northwestern.
I had to use a specific pharmacy for my fertility meds, but when I was getting Saizen (human growth hormone), the nurse insisted on calling it into the local Healey Pharmacy....long story short, I ended up having to pay $850 for the medicine b/c it wasn't sent to the right pharmacy and I didn't have time to get the other pharmacy the rx. For the most part, the clinic is run well and I've never worried about them having significant screw ups.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She did not have a warm bedside manner. She did not meet with us often. Even after setbacks or bad news we had to request conference calls. She went on maternity leave and we had no idea we had been transferred to another doctor....It was often hard to reach someone. The nurses did not use email. One cycle had to be postponed due to a miscommunication with my hormones.
We were frustrated with the miscommunication around my hormone treatments causing my cycle to be cancelled. We were also disappointed when we were not informed Dr. Pavone went on maternity leave and we were assigned a new doctor. We left this clinic after that.
You have to be a good self-advocate in order to gett all of your questions answered. Don't look for a lot of support with the emotional piece of fertility.
We were often told about the clinic's motivation to increase their success rates. That seemed more important than treating us as humans with feelings.
We did pgd and pgs, which we got the sense she preferred we didn't do. When we didn't get a lot of embryos on our first cycle we tested our embryos on day 3 rather than day 5, which in retrospect is not what we would do now. That cycle was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb Longtin)
It was pretty efficient. I always made sure to get there early so I could be seen the soonest. The techs were always very nice.
My insurance covered most costs.

2015, Unsuccessful
...he [Dr. Confino] diagnosed me with PCOS, which I thought I had for about a year, and then when I saw another doctor at Northwestern I found I never actually had it...He has a wonderful reputation but due to his accent I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying, especially on the telephone...Make sure his nurse is there so she can repeat anything that you didn't understand...
Northwestern didn't have the long lines in the morning that FCI had, which I know friends described as more of a cattle call. Since they moved to a new office everything had been great...My insurance was very good and covered a good portion of expenses related to IVF...[nurse] Joyce was always compassionate when we received negative results, and remembered my husband and I specifically when a year later we achieved positive results....
he diagnosed me with PCOS, which I thought I had for about a year, and then when I saw another doctor at Northwestern I found I never actually had it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Marsh is friendly and seemed very knowledgeable, but the appointments felt rushed. My biggest issue with her was there no protocol in place for what to do when I got a negative pregnancy test. It was me who had to call the clinic frantic that my period had started and I didn't know what meds to take for the upcoming month.
The clinic is poorly run. Too few nurses, too many patients, and no means of effective communication. Direct phone numbers and emails of nurses and doctors are not provided. Good luck getting through to anyone. When you get a negative result or your period, be prepared to not know what is going to happen next month in terms of any adjustments to medications or your protocol. You have to track them down to find out, but again, good luck getting through.
How was your experience with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be prepared to never be able to reach her. You can only directly call the 2 gatekeepers (receptionists) whose sole function is to take a message to pass it on to a nurse. Get ready to have your phone with you at all times so when the nurse calls you back 48 hours later you answer. If you don't answer, you have to start the process all over again of first calling the gatekeepers. The one time I asked for Dr Marsh specifically it took her 2 weeks to call me back because she was in Italy, but the staff never let me know there would be a delay.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I had no point of contact and I always got different nurses who didn't remember me or know my case.
Describe the protocols Erica Marsh used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 3 months of IUIs with chomid or femara. She suggested doing 3 months of IUIs before IVF mainly because insurance requires it. She admitted if chlomid doesn't work in the first few months it probably won't work. She was very knowledgeable. Were going to move on to IVF but I switched before then because Northwestern had a low success rate for IVF for women aged 38-39.
You are just a number and they are overworked and stressed out. They made me feel bad for being anxious and worried. They seemed annoyed by my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The staff miscommunicated my insurance company's requirements and I was denied coverage for an IUI. The staff refused to continue to help me get my meds approved by my insurance because my insurance company was difficult to deal with. No one called to tell me what next month's treatment protocol would be. I had to rush to try to get the drugs in time because of poor planning by the nurses and staff.
Erica Marsh

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse [at Northwest Medicine] named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
I was referred to Dr. Pavone by a co-worker who had a good experience with her. I unfortunately did not have a single positive interaction with her and regret not switching doctors sooner. I understand that infertility is a very indepth and complicated area of medicine to practice. I respect doctors that can be blunt and straightforward, but also appreciate empathy and heartfelt support. Dr. Pavone acted like a robot at each appointment. She never asked how I was feeling or asked for my opinion. Because I suffered from eating disorders in the past, I felt that Dr. Pavone blamed me for my infertility problems. While they may have contributed to it, I went into early menopause at 25 and that was unrelated to any previous issue I had. Dr. Pavone did do an HSG to check for issues but should have also checked my uterus with a hysteroscopy, but she didn’t. Because of that, I had three unsuccessful medicated IUI’s that never could have worked because of polyps and scar tissue on my uterus. I believe Dr. Pavone was quick to write off many of my symptoms and didn’t look into things as much as she should have. She decided on a route of treatment very quickly and didn’t seem to take my opinions or that of previous doctors into account. I was a poor responder to my first round of medication. She upped my Menopur dosage so much and so quickly that I suffered from ovarian hyper stimulation. I called her office for days saying I was in a lot of pain and she said it was normal and brushed off my complaints. I finally told a nurse I needed to be seen and they said they would try to squeeze me in. I ended up waiting for 4 hours in the waiting room before they remembered I was there. Dr. Pavone was not apologetic about my wait. Once she realized how swollen my ovaries were, she did apologize but didn’t change my dosage.
I would never recommend that anyone work with Dr. Pavone. However, if they decided to, I would recommend that they act as a strong advocate for themselves. I wish I had stood up to Dr. Pavone and fought for myself. Dr. Pavone is very quick to make judgements and is not very open to other opinions. She does not care about her patients on an emotional level, so someone who needs a caring doctor should not work with Dr. Pavone.
Her clinic staff never remembered me, Dr pavone did not remember my name, look me in the eye or care about me.
She did 3 medicated IUIs and upped my dosage each time. She never did a scan of my uterus. Had she done so, she would have known that polyps and scar tissue blocked an embryo from implanting
The nurses treated patients like a herd of cattle trying to rush us through. They acted like I was bothering them when I called. They even forgot about me in a waiting room for 4 hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
The doctor forgot to mention to take off a hormone patch. They failed to listen to problems from my dosage, causing sever ovarion over stimulation. They didn't find uterine polyps and scar tissue.
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr Barnes is incredibly warm as a person, though is bedside manner is a bit old school. I felt that once I had 1 failed cycle, my protocol was not changed prior to my second cycle... Dr Barnes wanted me to do a 6th cycle of IUI, but we insisted we move to IVF.
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours)... You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
Dr Barnes is incredibly warm as a person, though is bedside manner is a bit old school. I felt that once I had 1 failed cycle, my protocol was not changed prior to my second cycle. In between my 2 cycles, he discovered I had anemia. Anemia is perhaps the FIRST thing that should be tested for anytime you give blood so it was frustrating that it took an entire IVF cycle to discover this. Due to the anemia, Dr Branes wanted to do further testing to rule out internal bleeding since I showed no signs of anemia. This resulted in a colonoscopy and endoscopy which both came back clear. From there, Dr Barnes didnt have any other explanations as to why my first cycle failed so we moved forward with my second cycle - which also resulted in an early miscarriage. After 2 failed cycles I decided to move on to another clinic. We transfered our 1 frozen embryo when we left.
Be your own advocate. This would be my advice with any Dr, but especially with doctors at NW who barely know your name let alone your case.
The NW office is EXTREMLY busy. You are given a number for every appointment in order to get labs and ultrasound. I saw Dr Barnes maybe 3 tiems during my care, though if he was available and in the office, I was able to request a visit. The nurses, particularly Amy, were kind and sensitivie. The IVF nurses on the other hand were impossible to get in touch with. I would leave messages and not get a call back for days.
I started my protocol with 3 months of timed intercourse on Clomid. Each month resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I then moved onto IUI. The first 3 cycles were on Clomid. Each resulted in a negative test. Each month on Clomid Dr Barnes bumped up my dosage, yet I only had 1 or 2 viable follicles each month. After 3 cycles of IUI on Clomid and little reaction, Dr Barnes put me on Femara. We did 2 cycles on Femara, both resulting in a negative pregnancy test. Dr Barnes wanted me to do a 6th cycle of IUI, but we insisted we move to IVF. We did our first round of IVF which resulted in 2 quality embryos. My husband and I had decided in advance of our fresh transfer that we wanted to put 2 embryos in, however at NW their Dr's rotate and on the day of my transfer, a Dr Kazer was on rotation. He came into the room prior to transfer to confirm we had 2 viable embryos and when we let him know we wanted to transfer both, he basically used his scare tactics to force us into only putting in 1 embryo. I feel like this is a result of both his bedside manner, and the fact that NW does not like multiple pregnancies and look down upon transferring more than one embryo. We felt almost bullied and defeated and when I got pregnant, then quickly had a miscarriage, we regretted not following our hearts and transferring two. During our second IVF cycle, we insisted they allow us to transfer two. Again, Dr Barnes was not the Dr that did the procedure. This time it was Dr Robins who also tried to convince us to transfer one, but we stuck to our guns and transferred 2. Dr Robins is also a fan of 3-day transfers which did not sit right with me, but at the time of transfer, being hormonal and vulnerable, unfortunately you often listen to the Drs as opposed to following your gut.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joan)
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours). These are hormonal sensitive women these nurses are dealing with on an everyday basis. You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
Cattle call with numbers
IVF was $10k per cycle. IUI was $700. This was the out of pocket (cash) cost.
My biggest complaint with Northwestern is the bedside manner of the Drs OTHER than Dr Barnes, plus the lack of communication from the nursing staff.

2014, Successful
He [Dr Edmond Confino] was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good/comfortable. He would call personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.) He was positive/optimistic but at the same time tried to be realistic.
All staff at NM [Northwestern Medicine] were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!...I think the clinic is great! It was easy to schedule all tests and procedures. They were really flexible with timing. I could see results pretty fast on my online account (which was great as well.)
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good/comfortable. He would call personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.) He was positive/optimistic but at the same time tried to be realistic.
Talk to your doctor; tell him your preference; work together as a team...
He was really personal, he tried to make jokes and make me feel good. He called personally with some test results. He listened to what I wanted (I wanted to try to do uiu without any drugs at least for the first time.)
Describe the protocols Edmond Confino used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I had some blood work done first; then they checked my tubes and uterus to make sure I didn't have any issues there. I wanted to try first anything possible without hormones/drugs. So Doctor understood and worked with me. We did our first IUI without any hormones and it worked from the first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I don't remember her name)
All staff at NM were great, they were compassion and very helpful with giving all information and test descriptions. They made me feel really comfortable. We also had Dr Molly Moverick on our team (she was working together with Dr Confino). She was great!!!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember plus my health insurance covers most of it
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
I really liked Dr. Marsh, but the majority of the care provided was done by her Fellow or her team of nurses. Once the care plan was established, we had very little contact with her. While I liked her as a person, we were frustrated by her one size fits all approach to inseminations and we were not given the opportunity to adjust my meds based on my results.
Clinic was clean and organized. The lab is located within the office making the sperm prep very easy on the insemination day....Costs were very straightforward and through the main Northwestern billing portal....The nursing staff ranged in compassion, skill, and communication. Some of the nurses were amazing and were nice to work with and other nurses seemed annoyed by my existence.
Be prepared to work with her whole team, not just her. Ask her to clarify who will be doing the inseminations and ask her about clinic protocols as she was not forthcoming with all of the protocols at the beginning on my treatment.
I did 4 IUI's with donor sperm with Dr. Marsh. I was prescribed clomid for the first three rounds and femera for the last round.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Erica Marsh

2011 - 2014, Successful
Dr Kazer was hands on and as invested in getting me pregnant as I was. Dr Kazer always took the time to talk to me in person or on the phone about my treatment. While being very upfront with medicine and its statistics he remained a my cheerleader as well. He was always warm, and when he could add humor to the situation he never hesitated.
Dr Kazer [at Northwestern Fertility] was hands on and as invested in getting me pregnant as I was. Dr Kazer always took the time to talk to me in person or on the phone about my treatment. While being very upfront with medicine and its statistics he remained a my cheerleader as well. He was always warm, and when he could add humor to the situation he never hesitated.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Totally trust him. He knows what he is doing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Kazer was very upfront medically while being very caring compassionate and funny.
They always asked you to call them anytime to talk about anything.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[Dr Pavone was] kind and has good bedside manner, but not willing to change protocol or try new things. Did not want to look into endometriosis as a possibility for our troubles (which I had suspected I had since age 11), said my husbands morphology and motility were fine (wasted our time with 3 IUIs) when another clinic said otherwise and did not want to work with a reproductive immunologist. I ended up leaving her and finding out I did indeed have immunological disorders and stage III endometriosis. Went on to have a successful ICSI cycle with a new clinic after 3 failed IUIs and 1 failed ICSI cycle at Northwestern. I also was told I could get up right after our fresh transfer at Northwestern and didn't need to wait. Dr. Pavone never once performed any of my IUIs, egg retrieval or transfer.
She [nurse at Northwestern] seemed very busy, wasn't great at walking us through protocols and would be very curt with me when I had questions. I was kind of afraid to contact her, because she was not very compassionate or helpful....Cattle call, but I assume most clinics are like that. The second clinic we changed to was the same....I would look elsewhere and seek a RE that is more flexible and finding out what is wrong and treating those issues. I felt a lot of my concerns weren't addressed or looked into. Once I went to a new RE that was willing to look into possible immune issues and endo and treat them I had a successful ICSI cycle.
Kind and has good bedside manner, but not willing to change protocol or try new things. Did not want to look into endometriosis as a possibility for our troubles (which I had suspected I had since age 11), said my husbands morphology and motility were fine (wasted our time with 3 IUIs) when another clinic said otherwise and did not want to work with a reproductive immunologist. I ended up leaving her and finding out I did indeed have immunological disorders and stage III endometriosis. Went on to have a successful ICSI cycle with a new clinic after 3 failed IUIs and 1 failed ICSI cycle at Northwestern. I also was told I could get up right after our fresh transfer at Northwestern and didn't need to wait. Dr. Pavone never once performed any of my IUIs, egg retrieval or transfer.
She was very kind and had a good bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany?)
She seemed very busy, wasn't great at walking us through protocols and would be very curt with me when I had questions. I was kind of afraid to contact her, because she was not very compassionate or helpful.
2011 - 2012, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I had a very positive experience with him [Dr. Barnes]. He has a warm demeanor and is knowledgeable. In my opinion, he is very optimistic about treatment (which is a nice-to-have through this process). I did felt like at a certain point when IUI wasn't working, I was leading the process rather than getting answers about next steps...
I don't know if it is still this way [at Northwestern Medicine - Chicago], but when I went through the process, there weren't individual appointment times for monitoring. So people would start to line up in the hallway before the clinic opened (before we all had to go to work). It had a little bit of a cattle call feeling that was stressful...
I had a very positive experience with him. He has a warm demeanor and is knowledgeable. In my opinion, he is very optimistic about treatment (which is a nice-to-have through this process). I did felt like at a certain point when IUI wasn't working, I was leading the process rather than getting answers about next steps.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't know if it is still this way, but when I went through the process, there weren't individual appointment times for monitoring. So people would start to line up in the hallway before the clinic opened (before we all had to go to work). It had a little bit of a cattle call feeling that was stressful.
2011 - 2012, Successful
He [Dr. Ralph Kazer] cares but doesn't sugar coat anything which I like...He is blunt and truthful. He is also caring and compassionate. He lets you know factually how likely pregnancy is and doesn't give any false hopes. I am happy he was my doctor. He was extremely helpful...I had to do injections anf daily blood draws then use progesterone to keep levels high
Ask as many questions as you. Red to feel comfortable about the process
He cares but doesn't sugar coat anything which I like
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very nice clean and helpful staff
2005 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me...Dr. Kazer was kind and compassionate. He was upfront with all information clearly set objectives. He was confident and professional while maintaining a good bedside manner. He always returned phone calls and called with test results himself...I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work...The nurses were so friendly. With the multiple visits, they were always so friendly and kind. They seemed like friends by the time the process was over...We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Make an appointment with him. He knows his profession and is an amazing doctor.
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me. I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
With my son, we used clomid first to stimulate growth. We then moved on to IUI. Again we used clomid and injections to release the eggs. We had 3 IUI resulting in 1 single successful pregnancy. When I went back to see Dr. Kazer to conceive again, we went directly to IUI. Clomid and an injection to release eggs. After one failed IUI, we began the IVF process. I cannot remember the drug names. I used some hormonal injections to grow eggs. We did the retrieval and progesterone shots following. I had 2 single transfers of embryos and then transferred 2 embryos resulting in multiple(twin) pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work.
It was very efficient. Hours of availability made the process easier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered most everything. We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kazer gave me the choice for the eSET and then recommended the multiple embryo transfer when the 2 eSET were unsuccessful
2010 - 2011, Successful
My friend recommend Dr. Confino after she had been through many fertility treatments. Dr. Confino and staff were wonderful. I could not be happy with my care....Dr. Confino was kind and caring. He is extremely knowledgeable.
My friend recommend Dr. Confino [at Northwestern] after she had been through many fertility treatments. Dr. Confino and staff were wonderful. I could not be happy with my care....Dr. Confino was kind and caring. He is extremely knowledgeable.
Dr. Confino was kind and caring. He is extremely knowleable.
He is very funny. During my egg transfer(I was a little stress out) he made everyone in the room laugh.
They explained everything very well and answered all my questions

2003 - 2010, Successful
He [Dr Edmond Confino] took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Loved that [Norwthestern Fertility] was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins...As a strength for me was [Dr Confino's] complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
As a strength for me was his complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
Ask how many Confino babies there are - so many.... If you don't like direct, use another doctor. If you are mater a fact he's a super fit.
He took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
We started with oral meds to stimulate ovulation results. We quickly detected a cyst on an ovary that was going to be drained. Upon consult with another doctor there was concern of cancer. It was removed via laperscopic surgery when Stage 4 endometrious was discovered. That accelerated treatment after healing into IVF. One IVF process was successful for a couple weeks before miscarriage. We then took time under medical process to suppress my system (mini-menopause) so we might have a better shot at the next round of IVF. That healing and suppressing journey added time. From there we tried one more time on IVF and just could not produce viable eggs that could sustain. This far into the journey we were open to the idea of egg donation. We interviewed two companies and begin that new journey. Our first donor was rejected by the clinic on the day of extraction because she admitted to smoking. We were heart broken and had to start over. We would have used her eggs but the clinic has strict expectations. Our next donor and implantation was success - 2 in and 2 out.
I became very familiar with my care coordinator/nurse. She had to deliver bad news to me on several occasions. She was available, called when she said and was compassionate when the news was bad and excited for me when it was moving in the right direction.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Loved that is was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins.
It was handled very efficiently in my opinion
Don't really recall. It was very expensive and by the time we hit the 3rd round we were at the ceiling of our coverage. They enabled me to turn in my unused meds as a credit towards the donor process.
Chicago
Ask questions and be prepared to hear the truth. He [Dr. Edmond Confino] told me that if I was unable to become pregnant in three months that there was a problem. I listened to everything he told me to do and felt comfortable with out three month plan of IUI with and without drugs. I got pregnant at 39 after the first IUI...As a single woman wanting to have a child, he was supportive and nonjudgmental. He explained his plan for my age of 39 and we agreed on a time schedule. I felt he was honest with me and that I was in great hands.
Dr. Confino has been doing this a long time and is very well respected in his field. As a single woman wanting to have a child, he was supportive and nonjudgmental. He explained his plan for my age of 39 and we agreed on a time schedule. I felt he was honest with me and that I was in great hands.
Ask questions and be prepared to hear the truth. He told me that if I was unable to become pregnant in three months that there was a problem. I listened to everything he told me to do and felt comfortable with out three month plan of IUI with and without drugs. I got pregnant at 39 after the first IUI
He was very caring and really wonderful. He was very blunt about my age and the likelihood of a pregnancy. I felt like I was in great hands from the start.
It was 16 years ago but I do remember a little bit. As I was only allowed to purchase four vials of donor sperm from the donor I selected, I wanted to follow all the rules. The plan was to do one insemination with without drugs, one month with clomid and then two the last month with clomid or another drug. I went in for an ultrasound on day ?, had an injection of profasi and came back a day or two later for the IUI. I went on to have a perfect pregnancy and healthy baby
I just remember all the nurses being very nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I am a big fan of Northwestern and think the clinic was well run and would recommend them.
It was in 2000 but my GUESS is that the consults, ultrasound and IUI were around $4500