7.1

2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I am a 43 year old intended mother who has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has had 6 miscarriages, 5 of the 6 miscarriages were through trying naturally. We saw Dr. Feinberg for our last two IVF rounds using my own eggs. We are beginning IVF rounds with her using donor eggs. (We have done 8 rounds of infertility treatments to date, though only two have been with her.)
Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful...is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Feinberg. She is exactly who I want and need in our corner while we fight to have our first child. I only wish we found her sooner. It would have made our first 6 rounds kinder and perhaps more successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Call her immediately.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg is so kind hearted, extremely knowledgeable, and has an excellent bedside manner. She remembered details about our personal lives, always called us by our preferred names/nicknames, and was the first Reproductive Endocrinologist to really explain to me what the process would be like and what I could expect---she has actually gone through infertility treatments herself, so she has personal experience. She is our first female Reproductive Endocrinologist and the only Reproductive Endocrinologist we've seen who did not boist or lead with ego. She was kind, extremely professional, and told us exactly what we needed to know to make educated decisions.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I think being a patient of Dr. Feinberg's is enough of a reason to be a patient of Northwestern FRM. Northwestern is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors. I had one of their older, been there for a million years, male (now retired) Doctor perform our egg retrieval on our second IVF round. He walked past me, introduced himself to my husband, told him all about the procedure, and then walked out of the recovery room without acknowledging me while I sat on the table in a cap and gown waiting to go into surgery with him. The new Doctors do not operate in that archaic and disrespectful manner. Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance helped with the cost substantially.
Chicago

I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement...She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond.
When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse [at Norhtwestern Medicine] had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business...They [nurses] were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person...I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!!
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Lia Bernardi was always great in person and on the phone. I spoke with her a total of two times in two years. Once at the initial meeting, once on the phone after miscarriage. She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond. Also I had to point out that my thyroid was high and only then did they put on meds for that. Nice person, not a great doctor/patient experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Look carefully at all tests and each patients results/past. Interact more with patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It is very much a fertility factory here. I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement. When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Went for FET with an embryo from an embryo retrieved at another clinic out of state. Wanted to transfer in state so found them. They transferred and it was not a success. I requested Dr. Bernardi be the one to transfer- she agreed. The dr. that showed up at the transfer was NOT Dr. Bernardi and at that point I had no choice but to do the transfer as the embryo was thawed. It failed. Then we went to IUI as I had previously gotten pregnant with iui. First stimmed iui I became pregnant. I then was shuffled between two dr.'s as Dr. Bernardi went on maternity. The pregnancy was ectopic. Given methotrexate (3x) to dissolve pregnancy. Also had an empty sac. This was expelled and I ended up being admitted to ER for excessive bleeding. Horrible times. A few months pass. We decide to do iui again. First iui failed. Second they stimmed me too hard and I feel the cycle should have been cancelled as I triggered on day 6. It failed, not surprised. This current cycle I am doing a natural cycle (I asked for this). We'll see. I am planning on going elsewhere after this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- they do a lot of procedures here and have the monitoring down. You will be with every other infertile woman in the city but it doesn't take too long. Weaknesses- not super compassionate, feels like a factory. Never felt they looked at ME- rather what normally works/is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
a lot for the fet. Each iui ends up being about 1700$
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not applicable
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!! This was when my normal dr. was on maternity leave. My thyroid levels were off and I had to point this out! I had to request every follow up tsh test as well. My estrogen/lining was too low and I had to tell them this, "my lining seems too thin- perhaps I should have estrogen." then they said, "yes, you're right- I'll send a prescription." I wanted them to notice these things and fix them- not me. At times felt like I was my own doctor and they just performed the tests.
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. ... She cowers behind her nursing staff [Northwestern Medicine] to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. ... Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. ... Standard IVF protocol
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. ... This is a very poorly run clinic [Northwestern Medicine]. ... [Monitoring appointments] It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting. ... the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste. ... No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process.
Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. She says it is for the safety for mother and baby, but with Northwestern's cost of $5000 per frozen transfer, there is a financial incentive for you to fail so that she can make more money on subsequent transfers. She cowers behind her nursing staff to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. I had a different doctor for both the egg retrieval and fresh transfer. All that waiting for her did was delay our ability to start treatment.
Don't wait to see her, because you really won't be seeing her. Take the first available appointment unless you feel like waiting another 6 months (or longer) to actually start treatment.
The clinic is a factory farm. You are not special. They don't care about you. You will have several nurses provide you information and several doctors will participate in your care. Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. You will see who is on call that day.
Standard IVF protocol, with a month of estrogen priming to start. 5 day fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. They only communicate via email via mychart.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very poorly run clinic. Expect to spend at least an hour in the waiting room for every early morning monitoring appointment...even if you come at the very beginning of the window. No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process. If anything, they are predatory and will only increase the emotional stress of the experience. An example of this was that the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting.
$10,000 for out of pocket IVF, plus additional costs for all medicines. $5,000 for frozen transfer
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She will only do a single embryo transfer unless you have very unfavorable characteristics (ie advanced maternal age and poor embryo quality).
I had a non-viable pregnancy (my HCG was not doubling), but yet the clinic nurse wanted me to continue progesterone injections and additional HCG testing appointments, saying there was a possibility it was a "lab error". The reality is that a non-doubling HCG is indicative of a non-viable pregnancy. This clinic only prolonged the agony of my loss by giving false hope and subjecting me to additional non-essential invasive procedures.
Chicago

Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints!...is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.
Chicago

She [Dr. Lia Bernardi] was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages....She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles....She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that...
Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.
We initially saw a different doctor at the clinic. When my husband's semen analysis results came back abnormal, the nurse communicated with us via MyChart message. I felt this was inappropriate considering the results were abnormal. I wrote back multiple times saying I want the doctor to call us, but apparently the doctor refused and said we need to come in for an appointment. Her schedule was full when I called, which was so stressful. Eventually she overbooked us and met with us. I had to pay a $50 copay for the visit when she could've just called. My husband and I were extremely worried about what these results meant, but during appointment she said his results were only "mildly abnormal" and not too worrisome. She could have spared us so much stress by just calling right away. We switched doctors after that.
Chicago

After my canceled cycle she [Dr. Christina Boots] made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far... I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures...I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer.
My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.
Chicago

She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
[Monitoring hours at Northwestern Medicine are] different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour...Our IUI self-pay package cost $709 Our IVF with PGD (FET) cost $12,000 + meds cost of ~$6000 + genetic testing with Natera $6400
She is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
It is a long wait to get an appointment, but worth it! Also, she has 2 offices, downtown and Highland Park. The HP office is lower key - less crowded and more time with her.
She is kind, forthright, caring
We started with IUI since I had previously had a successful pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. I produced 1 follicle on clomid the first round and then she increased my dosage for another round, when I produced 2 follicles and became pregnant. Unfortunately genetic testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality and we had to terminate the pregnancy. Meanwhile we had also received information from our genetic screening that we are both carriers for a genetic disease. Dr Feinberg suggested changing course and we are currently doing IVF with ICSI and PGD. We did stimulation with 300 units of Gonal-F (increased to 375) and 75 units of Menopur (increased to 150), with Cetrotide and an Ovidrel trigger. This produced 13 follicles, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Dr Feinberg told us she will adjust if future cycles are necessary since these were not the results she had hoped for. She explained her choices were based on my previous ability to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Leah and Kelsey)
The nurses have been very responsive on my chart (online patient portal) and wonderful in person
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is fine, not great. There is some difficulty with communication between the two offices, though most patients just go to one. It can take a long time to get through to someone and get a call back since it is such a busy practice. For monitoring, waits are long.
This is different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour.
Dr Feinberg told us she does single embryo transfer and we are happy with this as we do not want multiples.
I tried to order meds from an online pharmacy to cut costs. It proved difficult to do this and I’m not sure if his is because it was not their in house pharmacy or on their list of suggestions, or if it was all on the pharmacy. I ended up spending more money to order through Northwestern for simplicity but the miscommunication caused a great deal of stress
Chicago

The nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with...The biggest thing I wish I had known before I started with this clinic was that doctors aren't actual present for any cycle ultrasounds. All ultrasounds leading up to a transfer are done by staff. This was different from the level of care I had at my previous clinic and therefore was unexpected for me. Overall, Northwestern is fast and efficient, but I felt the staff as a whole could be a little friendlier. I had issues contacting the financial coordinators and getting my embryos transferred from my previous clinic.
When we first went for our consultation with Dr. Bernardi, she seemed incredibly friendly and knowledgable and like she would be a good doctor to work with. When it was time to start our cycle though I didn't hear from her at all, working only with nurses. When I requested for her to call, she elected instead to send me a message a day later informing me she was going on maternity leave and good luck. So essentially, she did not tell me she was going on maternity leave until the last moment, when she certainly could have told me sooner and made alternative arrangements for my care. In addition, she could not take the time to speak with me over the phone and discuss certain procedures and answer my questions. It was very disappointing.
Ask a lot of questions and be persistent if you actually want to speak on the phone with her. Although ultimately I would recommend a different doctor at Northwestern.
I received no personalized care or consideration from Dr. Bernardi. I genuinely felt that my cycle did not matter to her.
We used oral estrogen tablets, injectable progesterone, and progesterone suppositories.
The nurses were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$5,000 for an embryo transfer, plus the cost of medication, plus copay expenses for workup appointments.
When we had our initial consultation and I told her in our last cycle we had only done a single embryo, she asked why and thought we could do two embryos. That was the extent of her comments or explanation about the subject.
Chicago

Dr Feinberg is wonderful. She is so warm and caring with a great bedside manner. I feel like I really matter to her as a patient and she hears my concerns....I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5
it was very easy to get an appointment They [Northwestern Med] were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!...I was told that a specific diagnosis code would be used to bill my insurance. When the claims started coming through, they were all denied because the clinic used a different code than what they told me they were going to use.
Even though our first round of IVF with Dr Feinberg failed, we still trust her and the process and will not give up. We felt so well taken care of by her. She answers all my questions no matter how silly they may seem. When we talk to her, we feel as if she is more of a friend than a doctor.
She is determined to get you pregnant and will not give up!
I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5 and explained to us the reason she would transfer two instead of one. I liked how she mixed it up because we were afraid of doing the same thing as previous cycles and expecting different results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
Laura was very good about always getting back to me within an hour or two of me sending an email. She was very clear in her instructions and always follows through.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Unlike the other clinics I have been to, it was very easy to get an appointment They were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!
Compared to other clinics, the costs with Dr Feinberg were significantly lower. They really want to make it affordable to everyone as they know it doesn't always work on the first try and you might have to do more than one round. My insurance has an infertility max that had already been met, so we knew we were going to be self pay. We were pleasantly surprised that the financial advisor said our blood tests and ultrasounds would be covered, as well as some of the drugs, so we went with the lower priced package.
She said if it was her, she would transfer 2 but still gave us the choice to make on our own. We valued her advice and transferred two.
Chicago

I like that she [Dr. Eve Feinberg] has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed...She knows her stuff, so you will be in good hands. However, be ready to be a Northwestern patient, in more ways than a Feinberg patient.
I interact mostly with the nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine]. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions...delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy...There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
I like that she has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed.
They see A LOT of patients. I don't always feel like I have personal care, but I always feel like I receive great care. I work more closely with the nurse staff for sure and haven't had much direct contact with my doctor herself at all.
Cycle 1: Microdose Lupron Flare - used based on my test results and miscarriage history alone. I turned out to be overstimulated by this protocol and we were all pleasantly surprised that they were able to retrieve 14 eggs, 5 of which became blastocysts. However, none tested as PGS normal, so we decided to cycle again, as my doctor believes it is a numbers game and we had a good chance to get a normal in the next round. Cycle 2: Antagonist - started low dose and increased slightly. I wanted to stim lower and slower, if at all possible after not feeling very good during the first cycle. She was open to this for sure. My AFC this round was significantly lower though, and we retrieved only 7 eggs, 3 of which became blastocysts and 1 tested as PGS normal. She suggested we try to get at least one more PGS normal embryo before attempting any transfers though. Cycle 3: Long Lupron - we changed it up again to see how I would respond. I was on highest doses and was a slow responder. We did retrieve 13 eggs, but only 1 grew to blastocyst and we are currently awaiting PGS testing results (and we will then decide to either attempt a frozen transfer or retrieve again).
I interact mostly with the nursing staff. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good location in downtown Chicago, connected to Northwestern Hospital, and linked to all Northwestern doctors/services where I see most of my other physicans. Their lab is new and top notch. They do not do "batch cycles" but rather let you start on your cycle. That means they are open 7 days a week and holidays for appointments and procedures. The only thing to be aware of is they run FRM similarly to the OB practice - you may not see your doctor on the day of your procedure but instead the doctor who is scheduled to do procedures on that day.
Usually it was fast and super easy. There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Most have been covered by insurance so far. Before treatment for any new cycle, I do have to pay a lab deposit for biopsy, freezing and storage.
Nothing too serious, but just delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy.
Chicago

For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians... [Dr. Feinberg] was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list... For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!!
Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid &lt;$800
2014 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer.... Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery.
With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her [Dr. Feinberg] and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.... we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate... She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out.
Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery. She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out. This has been the hardest journey of our lives. We’re lucky to have crossed paths so many years ago.
Have faith, because she believes in you and your dreams wholeheartedly.
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer. Once we realized my health was in jeopardy, we were scared, lost and helpless. We didn’t know which way to turn - we went from trying to create a life to saving my own. She put us in contact with NorthShore and oversaw the process until I was diagnosed and placed with the right oncologist. She’s been with us every step of the way and hasn’t given up on the original reason our paths crossed years ago, to help us become the parents we’ve been fighting so hard to become.
I had a hysteroscopy and 1 cycle of IUI before they found the cancer. Since then, we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Under FCI, I was more in touch with Dr Feinberg. With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.
Ranges due to insurance
N/a - not there yet
Chicago
[Under Dr. Randall Barnes] I took 300 units of Folistim and 150 units of Menopur for 5 days, and then started a daily shot of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Day 10 I took my trigger shot and went in 36 hours later for my ET. 7 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized. I also thawed my 18 frozen eggs, 11 which fertilized. Overall, 15 eggs fertilzed and we are now waiting for our results on day 5 blastocyst stage, after which the remaining blastocysts will be biopsied and sent for PGD testing.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern Fertility Clinic is a large practice, which means you deal with lots of different people throughout the process, from multiple nurses, to schedulers, to financial advisors, to psychologists, to doctors who are on call the day of your procedures. It is not guaranteed your doctor will perform your retrievals or transfers. Overall, I had a positive experience with NFC, and with Dr. Barnes. I am in the midst of my treatments still, so I am not able to speak to my results yet... that is still to be determined! Also, in the midst of my treatment, and after several appointments with Dr. Barnes, I received a letter from Northwestern letting me know that he was retiring. So, in the midst of my treatments, I was left without a doctor and had to switch to a different doctor in the practice. My husband and I were surprised that this was never mentioned to us during multiple appointments with Barnes or with the nurses. It seemed like something they should tell us, so we could've started the process with a different doctor verses being caught off guard. This was my biggest critique of working with the NW Fertility clinic thus far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is now retired from Northwestern Fertility Clinic.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic itself feels well organized considering the volume of patients they serve. At times I felt like it was a cattle call with the other women who were coming in for their routine early morning blood work and ultrasound appointments, but that comes with the territory when your'e working with a large clinic. Most of the time they got me in and out within 30 minutes for my morning appointments. Additionally, the clinic itself is a beautiful space, and the views overlooking lake michigan with soft music playing definitely make the experience more pleasant.
Morning appointments were an open window from 6:45-7:45am. Some mornings the wait was longer than others. My shortest appointment time was around 20 minutes, and my longest was 45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Luckily my insurance covers this process.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor strongly steered us toward eSET, although I had my heart set on transferring 2 embryos. He explained that due to complications from multiples, the best practice now is to recommend an eSET.
The two things that went wrong were: - No one told us that Dr. Barnes was retiring, and we ended up starting the process with him, only to be informed by letter that he was retiring. So, for part of my process I had no assigned physician. - I received information from one nurse that I couldn't start my IVF cycle because our PGD test wasn't ready. After reaching out to try to get in touch with my regular nurse and telling her we wanted to get started anyways, our regular nurse let us know that we could in fact get started. So there was around a 2 day window of a lot of dissapointment when we heard back from the first nurse that we couldn't get started, when in fact we could.
Chicago

After several months of inconclusive testing, she [Dr. Pavone] suggested IUI...I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses...After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
The nurses and US techs [at Northwestern Medicine] are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
This review covers my experience with NW RE and Fertility Division from May 2017 -- Dec. 2017. It has taken me over a year to come to terms with my experience and feel comfortable sharing it as a warning for others. We first met with Dr. Pavone in May after two years of TTC; she was great and mild mannered but straight forward. She required months worth of tests before she would make a recommendation on any treatment moving forward. After several months of inconclusive testing, she suggested IUI. We started IUI in Sept. I never met with or heard from Dr. Pavone again. From there on out, I was passed from Nurse to ultra sound tech. The US techs are only available for a short period on weekday and weekend mornings (about 1.5 hours). There is no other time to be seen unless you raise a stink -- which by my third IUI, I was having to do. The nurses and US techs are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only to learn that Dr. Pavone had had a baby and was out on maternity leave. No one had ever told me she was pregnant and worse -- I had not seen her in so long that it hadn't been obvious that she was pregnant at all. The practice never bothered to follow up with a backup plan for a new doctor in her place. To say that this was a terrible and traumatizing experience is just scraping what I went through. And I would still be leaving a one star review even if the male doctor had not damaged my cervix so badly. Overall, there are way better practices that you can go to outside of Northwestern that will treat you like a human and not a number, that will respect you as a woman with rights to her body, and who will look after your individual case. Good luck to you in your fertility journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Please find another doctor and another practice. You are wasting your precious money, time and efforts here.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only met with Dr. Pavone once. After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Pavone required lots of testing, all of which were normal so I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses.
There are so many nurses that it varied. However the Ultra Sound techs were horrible. I had one nurse that was so horrified by my IUI experience that she held my hand while I cried and wrote a letter to my doctor to share how bad my experience was. I did not get a response from my doctor.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The benefit is sitting under Northwestern medicine and sharing MyChart but that is where the pros end. This place is constantly FULL to the brim with hopeful parents-to-be. There is no sitting room. You are less than a number here, you are a drive-through customer. The receptionists are organized and thoughtful. The nursing staff are miserable. Limited windows for critical things like US, bloodwork, long long wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Insurance covered
I had a male doctor who was not part of my care plan physically tear my cervix with scissors to perform an IUI without my consent. As a result, I had to have surgery and have a damaged cervix as a result. This damage has impacted IVF (successful with another practice) and natural birth.
Chicago

I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses [Northwestern Medicine].
However, my main reason for not returning [to Northwestern] is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses.
Advocate for yourself. If the protocol doesn't work the first or second time, ask her (or the nurses) to switch it up.
The only time you see the doctor is at the initial consult. Other than that, you are one of hundreds of patients that rotate through for cyclework.
Femara 5mg and Ovidrel trigger shot. Femara is supposed to be better than clomid especially with PCOS. Since I don't ovulate on my own, the trigger shot was there to ensure I did - if it did it's job. I unfortunately don't know if it worked because we never checked my levels after doing the trigger. After 6 cycles of timed intercourse, an IUI was ordered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was great. Always responded within hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a herding facility. Get in, get out, get paid. Most of the workers were very nice. However, my main reason for not returning is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
280 per ultrasound 1200 for IUI
IUI mix up - see previous section
Chicago

I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.

2016 - 2017, 15 Eggs Frozen
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process...I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success... I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients... I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success...Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] out of pocket (roughly $18,000)...Northwestern has great facilities both in the city and in Highland Park. Only Dr. Feinberg sees patients in Highland Park, so the office is pretty quiet, which is nice. The downtown office is busier and a few of the blood draw and ultrasound techs are not friendly, and a little friendliness goes a long way when you are getting poked in the arm and during a transvaginal ultrasound...I got to know Laura [nurse] after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg. Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success. I know Dr. Feinberg also works with women who want to freeze their eggs, and I've referred a few friends to her who are interested in this option. I've sought complementary treatment from many other professionals (acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, therapists) and all of them consistently say that Dr. Feinberg is the best. I'm hopeful that we will have success with donor eggs in the next few months with her.
Dr. Feinberg books up far in advance, so I recommend making a follow up appointment around when you know your next cycle will end, so you can meet with her to discuss a plan if pregnancy does not occur.
My husband and I had periodic appointments with Dr. Feinberg at Northwestern at various points in treatment. We felt that she provided thorough information (and I ask a lot of questions) and spent good time with us. Her nurse that we worked with (Laura) was good about follow-through. I felt that our treatment plan was customized to us and not just a one-size-fits-all approach.
We did protocols for diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), using estrogen pill or patch priming and then microdose lupron. She gave me the highest dose of Menopur and Follistim, but I only produced a few eggs at 2 retrievals. We tried for a third round of IVF, but I wasn't responding, so we converted to IUI. Dr. Feinberg made it clear that IVF/IUI are not necessarily the best treatment for DOR, and trying on our own was a fine option and that treatment may not be help. I appreciated this perspective.
I got to know Laura after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle out of pocket (roughly $18,000), In 2017 our round of IVF and a few IUIs were covered by insurance- thank god! It's ridiculously expensive.
For our first transfer, we only had one egg to transfer. For the second transfer, we had 2 and we transferred both. Looking back, I think we should have frozen them and transferred one at a time in following months after my body had calmed down a bit. I was ok with possibly having twins, but with the perspective I have now, transferring one at a time is best for the baby and the mother. Dr. Feinberg has written about this here: http://garnetnews.com/2017/03/12/twins-not-necessarily-double-blessing/

2015 - 2017, Successful
[Dr. Jared Robins was] willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available...we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test...he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility.
monitoring [at Northwestern Medicine] was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call... we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I felt like Dr. Robins was accessible, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. he answered all our questions and never made us feel like they were stupid questions. he was genuinely excited for our success when it occurred and did all our post-implantation ultrasounds before we graduated to the regular OB. shared data in frank, accessible ways and made me feel confident that his goal was the same as ours. When asked about things like acupuncture, he said "look, we want you to get pregnant as soon as possible. if there was any evidence that anything improves those odds, we'd make (strongly advise, provide in the clinic) you do it - of course because we want you to be successful, but also because our success as a practice relies on our success rates, so we're going to do whatever it takes for our own self-interest as well." that made me feel really confident that he was being open and honest with us, as well as knowing that we were both invested in our success. It's great for a doctor to want you to be happy, but I liked knowing that he felt like he had a professional stake in it as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
don't be afraid to ask all your questions - he'll give you the research behind why he's choosing a certain protocol
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available. was very thoughtful and careful during transfer. laughed at my jokes :)
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I was 34 at the time and we had male factor, with no indications/diagnosis that I should have any trouble. we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test. for the retrieval cycle, he used a long lupron protocol, which is his standard for a presumably healthy woman under 35. I used lupron, menopur, and follistim, at lower doses than a friend of mine who had diminished ovarian reserve but was also on the long lupron protocol. he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility. 13 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 5 embryos (grade 1, which was the best) fresh transfer of a single embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test frozen transfer of a single embryo (after sitting out a cycle to get my estrogen down) resulted in a live birth.
monitoring was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to my age and the quality of our embryos, since multiple pregnancies are riskier for both mom and babies. he told me "statistically, the embryos you have are going to be the number of babies they are going to be. if you transfer them in multiples vs single, it just speeds up the answer, but doesn't change it"
Jared Robins
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.
Chicago

While I like Dr. Kazer, there are many physicians at this practice, and so decisions regarding my treatment plan have not always been made by him. I'm not confident that they reviewed my chart prior to making their recommendations...Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it...He has a dry sense of humor...Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has a dry sense of humor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far we are doing medicated IUI cycles.
The nursing staff here is terrible. They are cold and frankly, don't seem particularly knowledgable. On multiple occasions, I've received incorrect information from them. Furthermore, I understand that people are allowed to get pregnant, but I think it's particularly insensitive to have a pregnant nurse interacting with infertility patients.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I've been really disappointed in this clinic overall. Everything feels disorganized. I've had issues with the check-in desk, the financial coordinators have provided incorrect information, and I don't find the nursing staff warm or knowledgable. Many times, the ultrasound techs don't even introduce themselves. Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary. I don't need someone to tell me this is going to be a stressful experience. Based upon my experiences, I don't think I will continue to seek treatment here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IUI's are $585 Parking is $11 Psych Consult was $375 HSG was $1092 Each ultrasound is $286 Each day of labs are $$251
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
unknown
They booked me for an egg freezing procedure on the day I was there for my HSG. My financial counselor never called

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else...Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.
Chicago
She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
Just to go to her in the first place!
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.
2013 - 2017, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Barnes] was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us...we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages...I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive.
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.
Chicago
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.