7.1

2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2013 - 2017, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Barnes] was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us...we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages...I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive.
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.
Chicago
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.
Chicago
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim [with Dr. Eve Feinberg] . We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal...She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
2017, Unknown Success
She is a wonderful dr. Being that she also has gone though infertility she can related to her patients. She is a good listener and always has a plan of how to move forward. She treated me on the spot for one of my apts. that was not even scheduled.... Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding.
The nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine] is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!... Amazing facility! Super clean and the technology is all up to date! There is never more than 3 people in the waiting room, you truly feel like a patient and not just a number here!
Ask her anything and she will have an answer or get you one, she's great!
Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding. The office she works at has state of the art equipment. I never have felt rushed or confused working with her, she made a plan and I am currently under treatment!
I had been treated at a different dr for over a year and was not getting any results that were helpful. Dr. Fineburg was positive that she could get more then 8 /9 eggs retrieved (at my prior dr office in which only 4 out of both cycles made it and none resulted in pregnancy) and she did! I got 22 in which 8 made it. I did a fresh transfer and still was not pregnant. I am currently waiting on my ERA results to see if my implanting window needs to be adjusted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura W.)
The nursing staff is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!
$900 for ERA $1,500 for hystroscope $1,600 for retrieval
This is a conversation we had together and Dr. Fineburg listen and ultimately let my husband and I choose.
Chicago

I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses.... I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols... For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days....
The nursing staff [Northwestern Med] was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI....Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends....The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff....Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself.
Dr. Barnes was great for our initial and IVF consults. He answered our questions clearly (and there were a lot!) and was prompt with follow-up questions I sent through the patient portal. I wish he'd talked with us more during our failed IUIs to see if we could change the protocols, but ultimately I think we would have ended up doing IVF anyway.
Advocate for yourself! Ask questions and make sure you are clear on answers.
I saw Dr. Barnes for our initial consult, IVF consult, egg retrieval, and then early pregnancy ultrasounds. He was great about answering my questions, even if I sent them through the portal. My monitoring visits were managed by sonographers, lab staff, and nurses. There are a lot of patients at this clinic, which can make you feel like a number, especially during early morning monitoring appointments. However, all of my nurses were wonderful about communicating with me directly and responding to my questions quickly.
For our IUIs we used clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. The first month we did 50mg of clomid on days 3-7, the second 100mg days 5-9, an the third 100mg days 3-7. Once we decided to move to IVF I started birth control for 21 days. On day 15 I added 10 units of Lupron, which I stayed on through my stimulation phase. I began 150 units of Follistim and 150 units of Menopur on day 2 of my cycle. From there I stayed on the same dose for 13 days, along with the 10 units of Follistim. On day 13 I decreased the Lupron to 5 units and added the Ovidrel trigger. Egg retrieval was scheduled for day 15. 12 eggs were retrieved, with 11 being mature. 8 fertilized normally with ICSI. On day 3 we went in for transfer and still had 8 growing. We transferred two 8-cell embryos and on day 6 two were still growing and were then frozen. I tested positive 7 days after my transfer and had my beta 10 days post transfer. A week and a half after my positive beta I went in for an ultrasound where we saw one gestational sac; a week later we saw one fetus and the heartbeat. Our daughter was born in February 2017 at full term.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff was phenomenal, with the exception of one nurse. The IVF nurses were significantly more responsive and compassionate than the nurses who just handle IUI.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Academic institution, good results, high quality, seamless process (runs like a well-oiled machine). The front desk staff is incredible, as well as the lab staff. They're always cheery and friendly, which is helpful during a stressful time. Weakness: Due to the large number of patients they see, it's easy to feel like "just a number" if you don't advocate for yourself. The early morning monitoring appointments are great for working women, but it can sometimes feel like you're being shuffled from lab to ultrasound and then waiting for a nurse to meet with you or contact you (for IVF they would call me later that morning). Above all, advocate for yourself. Do not be afraid to ask questions or push for a specific protocol if you think it will help.
Monitoring appointments take place between 7-7:45AM on weekdays and 8-8:30AM on weekends. Only once was there a line out the door in the five months I worked with this clinic. The other mornings it was a breeze to check in, wait to be called for lab/ultrasound, meet with nurse (for IUI only), and then make a new appointment or head to work to wait for more information pending lab results (IVF). It's a well oiled machine.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think our meds were around $2700 (with insurance) and most of our procedures were covered by insurance. In the end I think we spent around $2K toward procedures, including embryo freezing, which was not covered by my insurance.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Barnes pushed SET and advised against transferring multiple embryos. We felt more comfortable with two and we were OK with the possibility of multiples. He was out of the office the day of the transfer and his chief, Dr. Jared Robins, did our transfer with one of the fellows (Dr. Okeigwe). Dr. Robins suggested transferring two embryos based on quality and my age. Be advised that Dr. Barnes will try to push you toward SET.
Chicago

She [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone] was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, an
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor [Dr. Mary Ellen Pavone], but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was not at all compassionate and didn't care about me as a person or my situation. However, she got us the results we wanted. She answered our questions, but sometimes it felt like we were annoying her by asking questions. We took it upon ourselves to understand our situation and I will say that she was willing to answer our questions. We also didn't really see her often - I can only remember 2 appointments before we got pregnant, and one appointment after to check-in before she released us to an OBGYN. This was through 4 rounds of IVF, so it seemed like we didn't really know her or she us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She is blunt, expect that. Come with questions if you care about the intricate details of your treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was very cold and didn't have a good bedside manner. At one point, I thought I had miscarried and went into the office for a checkup. We heard the heartbeat, but didn't know what it was - my husband had to ask to confirm that all looked OK, and she replied with a short, "yes". I started crying, and she didn't acknowledge it. It just seemed a bit callous and not the right response. I would have expected her to tell us as soon as she knew everything looked OK, and possibly to offer some reassuring words (or at least a tissue). In previous meetings, she had also been very short. She answered our questions, but seemed distant. I just figured that's how it was, until I met some of the other doctors who were way more understanding and empathetic (through appointments for embryo transfers and retrievals...it is just done by the doctor in the office that day, not necessarily your own doctor).
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I don't remember.
The nursing staff was fine. Because of the way they were set up, you didn't really get to know any of them. They required only phone conversations or messages - no email. They also each worked on different days...so of the 3 nurses, one worked M,W,F and one worked T,W,Th, etc. It was hard to remember which worked when and each had separate lines, so if you needed to reach someone that day, it was annoying because if I called one that wasn't working that day, I would just have to call back and leave a message for another. They were responsive though and and usually called back within 4 hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
There are a lot of people who go to northwestern, so they have the system down pat. I wouldn't recommend my doctor, but I thought the system was efficient for the most part, the receptionists were nice, the phlebotomist was awesome, the ultrasound technicians were so lovely. Also, the hours that you went in for monitoring were 7-7:30am on weekdays, which meant I could get to work on time which was clutch. It didn't mess with my schedule which I appreciated (other than making me wake up early, which was not a big deal).
It was kind of like a cattle call, but I actually liked how efficient it was.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance paid for it.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She told us about SET and seemed to want us to choose that. We didn't, and she didn't seem to care. Although she didn't really seem to care about us, so it isn't that surprising.
At any clinic, during the 1.5 years I was attending regularly, I would expect some random things to happen. Overall, the care was good and the "issues" weren't really big issues that affected my treatment in anyway.
Chicago

Dr. Barnes did not seem interested in actually seeing me as a patient or making sure that I was taken care of. I only saw him for the initial consultation and then once I was finally pregnant (before miscarrying). Once he determined that I was likely miscarrying and could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, he fell off the radar and left me hanging without confirming if I did or did not have a tubal pregnancy... I would be prepared to see very little of him.
I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic [Northwestern Medicine] called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic...The nursing staff was great at this facility...The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy
I am unsure of how Dr. Barnes is as an IVF doctor, but if you are going to see him for anything less, I would be prepared to see very little of him.
I was doing timed intercourse with letrozole to induce ovulation. I rarely ever saw Dr. Barnes. I only saw him for my initial visit and once I was pregnant and ready to go in for an ultrasound. When I did go in for an ultrasound and it was determined that he could not see anything on the ultrasound, he told me I could have a tubal pregnancy and that they would call with more information the next day. I did not hear from them for days, despite my trying to contact them on my own. I was worried that if it was tubal, I was at risk of my fallopian tube bursting and losing it. Only when I had my OBGYN get in touch with the office did they ask for me to come in for another ultrasound, but Dr. Barnes did not see me - another Dr. in the office did. This is when they told me they did not think it was a tubal pregnancy, but I did, in fact, miscarry for the 2nd time. I felt like, because I was not an IVF patient but rather on the timed intercourse/medicated cycle, I was not worth his time.
In my initial consultation, Dr. Barnes' assistant doctor diagnosed me with PCOS based on my ultrasound. (I had gone a significant amount of time without menstruating). I then met with Dr. Barnes and he determined that I should start on letrozole to encourage follicle growth, then once I had sufficient follicles, I would take a trigger shot to induce ovulation. I was able to get pregnant twice, but miscarried both times. I do believe that the treatment strategy was effective an appropriate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Neive Hanak)
The nursing staff was great at this facility. Without them, this place would seem like nothing but a baby-mill.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy, it almost seemed like a baby-mill.
I'm not sure if it was the doctor's fault or the clinic's fault, but when I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Kazer] was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us...
[Northwestern Med] Strengths-early morning hours, efficient, beautiful location, prompt responses. Weaknesses- expensive parking (even with discount), not a lot of individual attention, didn't feel as if they knew me or my story at all. Overall I have had a good experience, but not exceptional. It may be different when going through IVF...They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated...
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Come with lots of questions ready.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
There wasn't a lot of one on one attention to our particular story. It felt like, 'well this is how we do things so let's try it.' There wasn't a lot of investigating the why.
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have unexplained infertility and got pregnant the first IUI + 50 mg clomid + trigger shot cycle. When we returned 3 years later, we tried this again twice. Then after no success, we tried same protocol with 100 mg clomid (to increase the follicles) for 2 more times. No luck so far. We are currently deciding whether or not to do one final IUI or proceed to IVF.
They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated. The downside was that it was often clear that they didn't review my chart before seeing me and needed me to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my treatment. There was no continuity of care as I saw a new RN almost each time. I didn't feel like they knew me or my story.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Covered by insurance, so I am not sure of the costs (paid deductible).

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, typically we've used max doses of gonadotropins and I've actually responded fairly well for what would be expected. I've also tried DHEA, Co-Q 10, various other supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture - have pretty much tried it all. Dr. Pavone always discussed these with me and most importantly went over the benefits and risks.
I felt that the IVF Coordinators [at Northwestern Medicine's Fertility Clinic] could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday...The new office space and lab are amazing - very state of the art. I like that they are open 7 days a week and that there is a doctor always on call for any emergent need. The monitoring runs smoothly and quickly.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and knows that data behind the most recent theories in fertility care. In being on this road for as long as we have, unfortunately, I've done a lot of reading and gotten A LOT of 'advice' from people who really think they understand fertility better than specialists. No matter what crazy thing I brought to Dr. Pavone, she always took time to discuss peer-reviewed literature and why something made sense or didn't make sense.
She has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of our fertility care to both me and my husband and returned my calls promptly when she could (i.e. wasn't in the operating room or seeing other patients in clinic).
I felt that the IVF Coordinators could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I felt like this clinic is a well-oiled machine in the mornings. There are certainly some patients who complain a lot about having to do any waiting but I felt that if you got there somewhat early, you would get in and out in good time.
Fortunately, our insurance has covered all of our procedures. We've only had to pay copays for procedures and medications.
Chicago

Northwestern has a beautiful new office and seem to have a smooth operation to get people in and out. However, they don't treat anyone as individuals, just as another woman coming in and out. They seem to have a 1 size fits all mentality and just try the same plan on everyone based on a study. They do not go above and beyond in any way. Whether its new treatment options, showing support or getting more insight into why pregnancy is not successful. I have a feeling they show more interest in IVF cases. If you are just starting out on your journey, don't come here first.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and does everything by the book. I met her during my initial visit and then did not see her again, however, we did speak on the phone. Dr. Pavone seems to be socially awkward. Like she wants to say something but then censors herself and reverts to only using clinical language to answer a question. She does not think outside of the box and would only consider one approach with my case. When I had asked for additional bloodwork or supplements to take her response was "sure, if you want to". I really just wanted her opinion based on her experience rather than what a study said. She may have too many patients or just not enough experience.
Do your own research and don't expect her to find creative solutions. Always ask to talk to her over the phone -- she is very short over email.
I had to remind the doctor and nurses of my case, my test results each time we talked. I felt like when I didn't, they gave me generic answers or "studies show" answers.
During my first appointment, Dr. Pavone quickly diagnosed me with PCOS based on one ultrasound and 3 long cycles. This diagnosis took me by surprise as I have never had any hormonal issues. She quickly moved forward with her plan. 3 cycles of letrozole (better for women with PCOS) and timed intercourse, 3 cycles of letrozole and IUI, and if those were unsuccessful, move on to IVF. I ended up doing 5 rounds of letrzole and timed intercourse because I missed ovulation (I ovulated before day 14) twice. Despite not ever trying IUI, she said she would advise only one cycle of IUI then moving to IVF. At this point, being only 30 and feeling like it was moving too quickly, I sought out a 2nd opinion.
At NW, you don't have one or two nurses. You deal with whoever is on staff at that time. The nurses work with all the doctors and I saw about 4-5 different nurses over the course of my time. Some of the nurses are better than others. Catherine and Neieve were pretty good -- they showed compassion and explained my situation. Jeannette (I think) was awful. She always seemed rushed, she never knew the specifics of my case and she was not compassionate whatsoever. I dreaded seeing her there on the days I had an ultrasound. The primary form of communication is via MyChart messages. This seems great but the nurses don't answer any questions with detail.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Insurance covered just about everything. For 10+ ultrasounds, HSG test, 10+ bloodwork panels, I've paid about $150.
Chicago
Felt like he [Dr. Jared Robins] cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner...First did workup, established that I had PCOS and my husband had a low sperm count. Once we had these results, immediately started me on femara for ovulation regulation, and started IUIs to increase the chances of husband's sperm getting to egg. Unfortunately we had no pregnancies after 3 IUIs. Once we had tried IUI 3 times we advanced to IVF (which Dr. Robins said we would likely need from the get-go, though he was pleased w/ my response to femara and my husbands counts so he felt several trials of IUI were appropriate). For IVF I was started on Menopur and Cetrotide, which I responded well to. Used ovidrel once the eggs were ready. Also as Dr. Robins predicted, I responded very well to low doses of these medications. We became pregnant with a single embryo fresh transfer at 5 days. We still have 3 frozen embryos in the clinic.
[Northwestern's] Strengths - well located, clean and gorgeous. Excellent nursing and doctor staff. Weaknesses - dealt with some billing errors which were slow to be corrected, sometimes waiting room staff could be a little ornery (which I can hardly blame them for, dealing with 10s to 100s of anxious ladies a day)....The way the clinic is run, you will not see Dr. Robins too often, but he is overseeing your care. He is blunt but honest and will work to get you the results you desire. He has a huge knowledge base and always makes you feel as if you are in good hands.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I felt Dr. Robins was very candid and honest with me, which I appreciated. He felt our prognosis was good, which made me feel hopeful. Though I did not see him as often as I saw other providers in his clinic, he always responded to calls promptly when I wanted to speak with him and made me feel cared for.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Felt like he cared. Was very personable. Returned calls in a timely manner.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
The nurses were fabulous. They were compassionate and kind and prompt with responding. They never let questions go unanswered. It was a bit harder to get a hold of the IVF nurse, though I think she was extremely busy, and she always got in touch within a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was a bit of a cattle call experience, though there are so many u/s techs that generally the wait was pretty short.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Costs were minimal, was largely covered by insurance, with copays. Overall I think we spent under $2000 (several things werent covered, ie embryo freezing)
On several occasions nurses forgot to put in orders for labs, prescriptions and appointments, but these were quickly corrected once I or a lab tech noticed the mistake. All were easily rectified. No treatments were ever cancelled or messed up due to one of these small errors.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work....I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
[Northwest Fertility] is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
Dr. Robins is very knowledgable and blunt with his opinions. He only uses methods that have a lot of supportive data, which is ok but also seems rigid when what we have tried did not work. He returns my calls and welcomes me to call him on his cell phone. I wish he was more decisive with what approach to take instead of me having to do my own research and then ask him if we can try different methods. I want Dr. Robins to be more of a leader in my care and not be closed off to other methods as long as there is no harm to myself or my pregnancy.
Be clear and direct because he can ramble off his thoughts when answering your questions and the you leave the coversation feeling like you never got an answer
Dr. Robins was my third dr. He was my second dr at Northwestern. He looked at my history and thought outside of the box to Taylor a protocol that worked for me.
My main issue was scar tissue in the uterine cavity and developing a thick uterine lining. Dr. Robins put me on Lupron and estrogen patches leading up to transfer and the results were good each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Deb And Joyce )
My original nurse left the clinic in May of 2015. The other nurse I felt comfortable with is compassionate and is helpful most times.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice and had a brand new office. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The phlebotomists are warm and make you feel comfortable. The ultrasound techs are ok. But since I've been with Dr. Robins he has performed all of my scans. The embryologists are very knowledgeable and have always returned my calls to discuss my frozen embryos. The billing rep Jenni is reliable and helpful and friendly. The clinic psychologist is very respectful and knowledgable about infertility treatment.
Donor cycle was roughly $16,000 IUI was covered by insurance. Frozen embryo transfers were between $5-$6k hysteroscopies laparoscopy HSG MRI were all covered by insurance.
During a cycle for frozen embryo transfer. I was with Dr. Madgy Milad. I have a known history for early ovulation and Dr. Milad failed to acknowledge that fact. My cycle had to be canceled.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr Pavone] was open to trying knew things, up to a point, but we finally had to move on when she refused to try any other protocols and was convinced we should be moving onto DE (donor egg). I have DOR and was responding poorly to her protocols----she tried EPP with high doses of follistim/menopur and threw in ganirelix at the end, and when two rounds of that yielded very low follicles, she then tried clomid, followed by follistim/menopur/ganirelix when I commented on how I seemed to respond much better to clomid than I did all the expensive injectables. I did better on the clomid, but still not that great,
It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication....One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
I actually liked Dr. Pavone initially quite a bit and found her good at accepting suggestions and letting me pursue some more testing that a second opinion doctor had given me when we weren't making progress. She was open to trying knew things, up to a point, but we finally had to move on when she refused to try any other protocols and was convinced we should be moving onto DE (donor egg). I have DOR and was responding poorly to her protocols----she tried EPP with high doses of follistim/menopur and threw in ganirelix at the end, and when two rounds of that yielded very low follicles, she then tried clomid, followed by follistim/menopur/ganirelix when I commented on how I seemed to respond much better to clomid than I did all the expensive injectables. I did better on the clomid, but still not that great, yet she wouldn't try anything else, not even a micro-dose lupron protocol. If we wanted to proceed with her, it would have to be with the clomid protocol, which could only be done a few times due to limits on clomid exposure, and even then, she was pushing us to consider DE or adoption, which we had told her wasn't an option for us at this time. I do think that compared to the other docs at NW, she's one of the best and she's the most liberal (besides Dr. Marsh) and aggressive. She just gave up on my quicker than I think she should have, especially since I am only 37 (young for IVF, I keep being told).
Be proactive and keep doing your own research. She is not going to give lots of suggestions or think outside the box for you, but is open to trying things if you want to (ie, she let me have a laparoscopy after my 3rd failed attempt at ER when I asked about it and also did a huge panel of immunology testing at my request even though I hadn't had recurring miscarriages---I wanted testing b/c I wanted information preemptively in case it could prevent a miscarriage should we ever get pregnant).
It's complicated. The clinic definitely treats you like a number; the nurses do all the callbacks and all the communication. While monitoring, when you get your ultrasounds at Northwestern, the US techs are NOT allowed to discussed the ultrasound with you at all, so you have to awkwardly have your vagina probed by someone when you're dying to know if your follicles are progressing or not, but instead, you have to wait about 5-6 hours for a nurse who has never met you to give you your update. That part is very dehumanizing. Dr. Pavone, however, was more humane and if I had a question for her, she would attempt to answer it, although her written communication skills are very frustrating. and it often felt like she hadn't even read or comprehended my questions. Via phone or in person, she was much better, though, and I was satisfied with her answers. One thing about using any doctor at Northwestern is that your procedures will be done by whoever is on call and not actually your doctor, so you may have strangers doing your egg retrievals or transfers.
for IUIs---clomid CDs 2-6 and then ovidrel trigger, used ultrasound monitoring. IVFs---1st and 2nd attempts, did estrogen priming then started follistim/menopur once menses started, then added in ganirelix towards the end. Pavone felt this was the best approach for women with DOR. Both of these cycles yielded very low follicle development; 2 mature eggs the first round, and then the second was converted to IUI (and only then b/c I insisted I wasn't wasting an insurance-covered ER on 1-2 follicles). First round had nothing to transfer. Obviously BFNs both those rounds 3rd and 4th IVF attempts: clomid 150mg CD 2-5, then added on follistim/menopur/saizen/ganirelix. Better follicle recruitment, 3rd round poor egg quality, but 4th round, finally with 3 perfect embryos to transfer. For the 4th attempt, it should be noted that I had started to use a ton of antioxidant supplements recommended by a 2nd opinion RE and had also started seeing a chinese medicine practitioner and was using chinese herbs and acupuncture weekly). BFNs both those rounds. Pavone like the response to clomid and didn't want to change anything up if we proceeded with her.
There was a high turnover with the nursing staff---some of them were great, but then I also had a couple who clearly didn't know how ovulation and the hormones were related (ie, checking progesterone the day of ovulation isn't actually going to show you anything b/c it won't have risen by then, but the nurse insisted on doing it anyways). One nurse clearly was in a bad mood when doing my IUI (they do all the IUIs at Northwestern---not the docs) which was really awkward. Half the time, they didn't know why I was there and I'd have to tell them, since they didn't seem to keep notes in the charts. Also, you have to play phone tag all the time b/c they never actually answer the phone, so you have to leave a message to call back and then hope you are able to answer it when they do.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
it's a new clinic, so it's state of the art and has a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. The phlebotomists are friendly and so are the US techs, but you are not allowed to ask the techs anything about what they see on the US (also, you are not allowed to see the US screen when they're doing your US---how awkward!). It does run pretty smoothly, though, and you can be out of there by 7:30a if you have to go in for monitoring. It can feel a little like a cattle call, though, b/c women start lining up in the hallway before it opens and you are standing in line with a bunch of women whose hormones are raging and you're all pissed that you're waiting. I think if they just opened the doors and let people come sit in the waiting room, it would feel more civilized.
See earlier comment about the clinic. Monitoring hours are 7a-7:45 M-F and 8a-8:30 on Sat/Sun. If you weren't there before 7 and standing in line, it could take up to an hour to get out, but it's faster than trying to get monitoring done at FCI.
IUIs were about $1200 each with the ultrasounds, meds, and actual insemination. IVFs were covered under insurance once I changed plans, but would've been 8-9K for the package, not including medicine costs. Office visits were $250-350 and the labs were expensive, too, since they were through Northwestern.
I had to use a specific pharmacy for my fertility meds, but when I was getting Saizen (human growth hormone), the nurse insisted on calling it into the local Healey Pharmacy....long story short, I ended up having to pay $850 for the medicine b/c it wasn't sent to the right pharmacy and I didn't have time to get the other pharmacy the rx. For the most part, the clinic is run well and I've never worried about them having significant screw ups.

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse [at Northwest Medicine] named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
I was referred to Dr. Pavone by a co-worker who had a good experience with her. I unfortunately did not have a single positive interaction with her and regret not switching doctors sooner. I understand that infertility is a very indepth and complicated area of medicine to practice. I respect doctors that can be blunt and straightforward, but also appreciate empathy and heartfelt support. Dr. Pavone acted like a robot at each appointment. She never asked how I was feeling or asked for my opinion. Because I suffered from eating disorders in the past, I felt that Dr. Pavone blamed me for my infertility problems. While they may have contributed to it, I went into early menopause at 25 and that was unrelated to any previous issue I had. Dr. Pavone did do an HSG to check for issues but should have also checked my uterus with a hysteroscopy, but she didn’t. Because of that, I had three unsuccessful medicated IUI’s that never could have worked because of polyps and scar tissue on my uterus. I believe Dr. Pavone was quick to write off many of my symptoms and didn’t look into things as much as she should have. She decided on a route of treatment very quickly and didn’t seem to take my opinions or that of previous doctors into account. I was a poor responder to my first round of medication. She upped my Menopur dosage so much and so quickly that I suffered from ovarian hyper stimulation. I called her office for days saying I was in a lot of pain and she said it was normal and brushed off my complaints. I finally told a nurse I needed to be seen and they said they would try to squeeze me in. I ended up waiting for 4 hours in the waiting room before they remembered I was there. Dr. Pavone was not apologetic about my wait. Once she realized how swollen my ovaries were, she did apologize but didn’t change my dosage.
I would never recommend that anyone work with Dr. Pavone. However, if they decided to, I would recommend that they act as a strong advocate for themselves. I wish I had stood up to Dr. Pavone and fought for myself. Dr. Pavone is very quick to make judgements and is not very open to other opinions. She does not care about her patients on an emotional level, so someone who needs a caring doctor should not work with Dr. Pavone.
Her clinic staff never remembered me, Dr pavone did not remember my name, look me in the eye or care about me.
She did 3 medicated IUIs and upped my dosage each time. She never did a scan of my uterus. Had she done so, she would have known that polyps and scar tissue blocked an embryo from implanting
The nurses treated patients like a herd of cattle trying to rush us through. They acted like I was bothering them when I called. They even forgot about me in a waiting room for 4 hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was surprised to learn that Dr. Pavone did not do the insemination herself for each of my 3 IUI’s. A nurse named Elaine did each insemination. She was knowledgeable but I would have liked the chance to speak to Dr. Pavone to explain what was happening and what I could expect. For labs and ultrasounds, I often waited more than 45 minutes in a room full of women. The nurses who I worked with were nice, but I always felt like just a number to them. Many times, no one called with my results like they were supposed to so I’d have to leave a message and hope that someone called me that afternoon so I knew if I should stay on the same dosage of medication.
The doctor forgot to mention to take off a hormone patch. They failed to listen to problems from my dosage, causing sever ovarion over stimulation. They didn't find uterine polyps and scar tissue.

2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Marsh is friendly and seemed very knowledgeable, but the appointments felt rushed. My biggest issue with her was there no protocol in place for what to do when I got a negative pregnancy test. It was me who had to call the clinic frantic that my period had started and I didn't know what meds to take for the upcoming month.
The clinic is poorly run. Too few nurses, too many patients, and no means of effective communication. Direct phone numbers and emails of nurses and doctors are not provided. Good luck getting through to anyone. When you get a negative result or your period, be prepared to not know what is going to happen next month in terms of any adjustments to medications or your protocol. You have to track them down to find out, but again, good luck getting through.
How was your experience with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be prepared to never be able to reach her. You can only directly call the 2 gatekeepers (receptionists) whose sole function is to take a message to pass it on to a nurse. Get ready to have your phone with you at all times so when the nurse calls you back 48 hours later you answer. If you don't answer, you have to start the process all over again of first calling the gatekeepers. The one time I asked for Dr Marsh specifically it took her 2 weeks to call me back because she was in Italy, but the staff never let me know there would be a delay.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Marsh at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I had no point of contact and I always got different nurses who didn't remember me or know my case.
Describe the protocols Erica Marsh used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 3 months of IUIs with chomid or femara. She suggested doing 3 months of IUIs before IVF mainly because insurance requires it. She admitted if chlomid doesn't work in the first few months it probably won't work. She was very knowledgeable. Were going to move on to IVF but I switched before then because Northwestern had a low success rate for IVF for women aged 38-39.
You are just a number and they are overworked and stressed out. They made me feel bad for being anxious and worried. They seemed annoyed by my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The staff miscommunicated my insurance company's requirements and I was denied coverage for an IUI. The staff refused to continue to help me get my meds approved by my insurance because my insurance company was difficult to deal with. No one called to tell me what next month's treatment protocol would be. I had to rush to try to get the drugs in time because of poor planning by the nurses and staff.
Erica Marsh
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr Barnes is incredibly warm as a person, though is bedside manner is a bit old school. I felt that once I had 1 failed cycle, my protocol was not changed prior to my second cycle... Dr Barnes wanted me to do a 6th cycle of IUI, but we insisted we move to IVF.
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours)... You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
Dr Barnes is incredibly warm as a person, though is bedside manner is a bit old school. I felt that once I had 1 failed cycle, my protocol was not changed prior to my second cycle. In between my 2 cycles, he discovered I had anemia. Anemia is perhaps the FIRST thing that should be tested for anytime you give blood so it was frustrating that it took an entire IVF cycle to discover this. Due to the anemia, Dr Branes wanted to do further testing to rule out internal bleeding since I showed no signs of anemia. This resulted in a colonoscopy and endoscopy which both came back clear. From there, Dr Barnes didnt have any other explanations as to why my first cycle failed so we moved forward with my second cycle - which also resulted in an early miscarriage. After 2 failed cycles I decided to move on to another clinic. We transfered our 1 frozen embryo when we left.
Be your own advocate. This would be my advice with any Dr, but especially with doctors at NW who barely know your name let alone your case.
The NW office is EXTREMLY busy. You are given a number for every appointment in order to get labs and ultrasound. I saw Dr Barnes maybe 3 tiems during my care, though if he was available and in the office, I was able to request a visit. The nurses, particularly Amy, were kind and sensitivie. The IVF nurses on the other hand were impossible to get in touch with. I would leave messages and not get a call back for days.
I started my protocol with 3 months of timed intercourse on Clomid. Each month resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I then moved onto IUI. The first 3 cycles were on Clomid. Each resulted in a negative test. Each month on Clomid Dr Barnes bumped up my dosage, yet I only had 1 or 2 viable follicles each month. After 3 cycles of IUI on Clomid and little reaction, Dr Barnes put me on Femara. We did 2 cycles on Femara, both resulting in a negative pregnancy test. Dr Barnes wanted me to do a 6th cycle of IUI, but we insisted we move to IVF. We did our first round of IVF which resulted in 2 quality embryos. My husband and I had decided in advance of our fresh transfer that we wanted to put 2 embryos in, however at NW their Dr's rotate and on the day of my transfer, a Dr Kazer was on rotation. He came into the room prior to transfer to confirm we had 2 viable embryos and when we let him know we wanted to transfer both, he basically used his scare tactics to force us into only putting in 1 embryo. I feel like this is a result of both his bedside manner, and the fact that NW does not like multiple pregnancies and look down upon transferring more than one embryo. We felt almost bullied and defeated and when I got pregnant, then quickly had a miscarriage, we regretted not following our hearts and transferring two. During our second IVF cycle, we insisted they allow us to transfer two. Again, Dr Barnes was not the Dr that did the procedure. This time it was Dr Robins who also tried to convince us to transfer one, but we stuck to our guns and transferred 2. Dr Robins is also a fan of 3-day transfers which did not sit right with me, but at the time of transfer, being hormonal and vulnerable, unfortunately you often listen to the Drs as opposed to following your gut.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joan)
The nursing staff is overworked. There is no consistency with care. Voicemails are not returned in a timely manner (48 hours). These are hormonal sensitive women these nurses are dealing with on an everyday basis. You already feel like a number and when you have a pressing questions or matter you would like to discuss, it's very frustrating to have to wait days to hear back.
Cattle call with numbers
IVF was $10k per cycle. IUI was $700. This was the out of pocket (cash) cost.
My biggest complaint with Northwestern is the bedside manner of the Drs OTHER than Dr Barnes, plus the lack of communication from the nursing staff.
2005 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me...Dr. Kazer was kind and compassionate. He was upfront with all information clearly set objectives. He was confident and professional while maintaining a good bedside manner. He always returned phone calls and called with test results himself...I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work...The nurses were so friendly. With the multiple visits, they were always so friendly and kind. They seemed like friends by the time the process was over...We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Make an appointment with him. He knows his profession and is an amazing doctor.
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me. I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
With my son, we used clomid first to stimulate growth. We then moved on to IUI. Again we used clomid and injections to release the eggs. We had 3 IUI resulting in 1 single successful pregnancy. When I went back to see Dr. Kazer to conceive again, we went directly to IUI. Clomid and an injection to release eggs. After one failed IUI, we began the IVF process. I cannot remember the drug names. I used some hormonal injections to grow eggs. We did the retrieval and progesterone shots following. I had 2 single transfers of embryos and then transferred 2 embryos resulting in multiple(twin) pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work.
It was very efficient. Hours of availability made the process easier.
My insurance covered most everything. We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kazer gave me the choice for the eSET and then recommended the multiple embryo transfer when the 2 eSET were unsuccessful

2003 - 2010, Successful
He [Dr Edmond Confino] took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Loved that [Norwthestern Fertility] was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins...As a strength for me was [Dr Confino's] complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
How was your experience with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
As a strength for me was his complete candor. I can see how if you wanted more care that his style may not blend. It was ideal for us. There were times that another doctor did a transfer but at that point I was confident in the full team and saw no issue with using another team member.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask how many Confino babies there are - so many.... If you don't like direct, use another doctor. If you are mater a fact he's a super fit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He took the time at the begin to explain the journey and was willing to move quickly to assisted process given our time trying and age. I adore his candor which included spending time to explain the steps and the odds of success. He was realistic while being optimistic too.
Describe the protocols Edmond Confino used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with oral meds to stimulate ovulation results. We quickly detected a cyst on an ovary that was going to be drained. Upon consult with another doctor there was concern of cancer. It was removed via laperscopic surgery when Stage 4 endometrious was discovered. That accelerated treatment after healing into IVF. One IVF process was successful for a couple weeks before miscarriage. We then took time under medical process to suppress my system (mini-menopause) so we might have a better shot at the next round of IVF. That healing and suppressing journey added time. From there we tried one more time on IVF and just could not produce viable eggs that could sustain. This far into the journey we were open to the idea of egg donation. We interviewed two companies and begin that new journey. Our first donor was rejected by the clinic on the day of extraction because she admitted to smoking. We were heart broken and had to start over. We would have used her eggs but the clinic has strict expectations. Our next donor and implantation was success - 2 in and 2 out.
I became very familiar with my care coordinator/nurse. She had to deliver bad news to me on several occasions. She was available, called when she said and was compassionate when the news was bad and excited for me when it was moving in the right direction.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Loved that is was a larger group with many care members. It was also close to my work so I could go for check ins during lunch or before work. Additionally the weekend hours were great for ultrasound check ins.
It was handled very efficiently in my opinion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edmond Confino at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Don't really recall. It was very expensive and by the time we hit the 3rd round we were at the ceiling of our coverage. They enabled me to turn in my unused meds as a credit towards the donor process.
Edmond Confino
Chicago

Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She [Dr. Boots] is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse [Northwestern Medicone]. ... 3 medicated IUI cycles using 100mg Clomid x 5 days, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI and progesterone. 3 cycles using 7.5 mg Letrozole x 5 days, timed intercourse, progesterone.
Great hours [at Northwestern Medicine], reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene. ... Nurse in training experience x 3, unsettling for first IUI, lacked confidence and did not relay follow up information
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask for what you need. Ask clarifying questions for better understanding.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The system gets you in and out efficiently. This is great for working people but human connection is lacking as a result. There are occasional disconnects when information sent via messaging vs phone call or in person appointment. The conveniences we appreciate and are lucky to have access too also create disconnect in emotional support and person to person interaction.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Alex or Claire)
Professional, responsive, uses canned responses which is efficient but sometimes not edited or personable.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Great hours, reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Had met deductible when started IUI so most costs covered. Monitoring ultrasounds cost about $300, labs $30-60. Unable to afford IVF not covered by insurance.
Chicago

My husband and I are people that like to just get to the point, Dr. Robins was always incredibly informative and was to the point without seeming like he was insensitive to our situation. He had confidence in what he was doing that gave us peace of mind. ... I am in the medical field, and he never spoke to me like I didn't understand what was going on. He never made us feel like he was in a rush (even if he was). He answered every single question with us that we had and always takes his time to make sure we felt prepared for the next steps.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time. ... They [nurses] are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
Trust the process, knowing that you are in good hands.
We have only had a plethora of testing done at this point, we have not yet moved forward with IVF cycles at this point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
They are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time.
All I can remember is IVF is approximately 10,000 out of pocket- not including medications.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He firmly believes in only transferring one embryo to avoid complications.
Chicago

Dr Bernardi always remembered everything about my case and was so compassionate. She would frequently call me if something came up and didn’t only rely on her nurses to share sensitive information. I always feel completely taken care of when I meet with her or talk to her and know she’s doing everything in her power to help me have a successful pregnancy.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. ... I had 100% insurance coverage for everything except PGS testing which ended up being about $4000 total
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you get her as your doctor!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Bernardi is the most caring and compassionate doctor I’ve ever had. She always takes the time to make me feel like she’s a partner in this with me and my husband.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- they are at the cutting edge of all new treatments so I always feel confident in their suggestions or advice. They are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. While I absolutely love Dr Bernardi I haven’t loved the other doctors in the practice and wish she could be the one doing everything for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We are only doing single embryo transfers
Lia Bernardi
Chicago

Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest ... We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced New Patient Advice
Strengths-the mychart app, getting called back as requested Weaknesses-no education on medications for FET. Only one message saying when to start and stop meds. Was not made aware of time of FET until 2 days prior. Made it very hard to schedule .... Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app. ... She [Dr. Feinberg] highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
We had a pregnancy leading to a miscarriage when we were told pregnancy was not possible by other physicians. We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced
She will not sugar coat anything.
Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest
Labs, saline ultrasound to see if your uterine lining is prepared, adjust estrace and prometrium doses to have a period, baseline appointment, begin 2 week course of 4mg estrace 2x/day, mid cycle appointment to ensure uterine lining is &gt;7mm thick aNd progesterone indicates no ovulation, 6 day course of PIO injections as well as endometrin vaginal suppositories, doxycycline 2 days before FET and 2 days after. Transfer day 6th day of injections. 8 day wait for blood HCG pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine Gaedele)
Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nothing particular to this physician.
She highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Boots] did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
The clinic employees are always friendly and warm. The hours were helpful being that you could come in before work when it was convenient for you. The clinic separated non-pregnant patients from pregnant patients and I always appreciated that because seeing a pregnant person during my infertility struggles was difficult. ... Nurse Kelsey always called to deliver news, and even when it was bad, She was straight to the point, and she was compassionate. Kelsey always gave clear directions through my chart and quickly responded to questions.
Dr Boots was a wonderful, caring doctor. From our first visit she made us feel comfortable and made us feel heard. She used diagrams to help explain the process and answered all the questions we had. Our journey felt slow at times and not everything worked successfully, but Dr Boots was available to answer questions, always called to talk through solutions, and helped me understand next steps.
She did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Boots would only do a single embryo transfer for my age category given that I had previously become pregnant.
Chicago

We tried several different strategies over the course of our treatment. I felt like Dr. Feinberg did a good job of adjusting the strategy to our situation over time. ... Dr. Feinberg did a very good job explaining everything as we went through the process. She was great at being available for in-person consultations or phone calls when things weren't going well, and took the time to make sure all our questions were answered.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated. ... Monitoring occurred in the very early morning ... I loved our primary nurse, Kelsey. She was SO quick to respond and available, and was an excellent point person for our care.
Trust her, she knows what she's doing. :)
I think Dr. Feinberg did a good job of being present emotionally when the situation called for it. The clinic is very efficiently run, which may make some feel like they are being treated like a number, but I really appreciated the efficiency.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated.
Monitoring occurred in the very early morning, which was tough on me, but they were very efficient and well-run.
I was lucky, my costs were covered by my husband's insurance.
Dr. Feinberg had some opinions to offer on this topic, but in our case was very open to what we wanted, which was single embryo transfers.