7.1

2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2019 - 2021, Successful
Although my journey was complicated, Dr Jain never gave up on me. After each appointment, we would change the treatment protocol and explore additional testing if needed...He monitored me closely to make sure I didn’t develop OHSS. We ended up with 29 eggs and 13 embryos from that one cycle! FET - due to my risk of OHSS, all of my transfers were frozen...Always starts with one tested/untested embryo. If first transfer fails, will consider 2 untested embryos if patient understands the risks. If embryos are tested, then single embryo transfers only.
The clinic [Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] is honestly top notch. They have all the latest technology and the doctors stay up to date with all the latest data. Monitoring appointments can be done at the Oak Brook and Highland Park locations, but all procedures are done downtown. The nurse practitioners have appointments in the suburbs, but the physicians typically stay downtown....
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Jain invests deeply in the care of his patients. Although my journey was complicated, Dr Jain never gave up on me. After each appointment, we would change the treatment protocol and explore additional testing if needed. I did a lot of research myself and felt very comfortable asking him questions to share my wants and needs. Dr Jain had no problem adjusting the treatment plan to what I felt most comfortable with. During each appointment, I never felt rushed. He would also send MyChart messages very late at night as he is catching up on his charting. It showed that I was not just a number to him, and that he genuinely cared about me as his patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Come prepared to ask questions! If you’re up for it (or in the healthcare field), do your own research and ask Dr Jain what he thinks about certain tests, labs, or procedures. Knowledge is power, so take your time during the appointment to make sure all questions are answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Jain always spent SO much time with me explaining the treatment plan and altering the treatment plan to fit my wants and needs too
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IUI - letrozole alone, and letrozole with clomid. Unfortunately all were unsuccessful. IVF - low doses of GonalF and Menopur since I made a lot of eggs. He monitored me closely to make sure I didn’t develop OHSS. We ended up with 29 eggs and 13 embryos from that one cycle! FET - due to my risk of OHSS, all of my transfers were frozen. First transfer was a medicated transfer with estradiol and IM progesterone - which failed. I ended up fainting with the IM progesterone once, so we avoided it for the next transfers. Second transfer was a modified natural cycle with letrozole and Ovidrel - but unfortunately ended in an ectopic. Third transfer was another modified natural cycle and currently pregnant! (We did genetic testing of embryos and ERA test prior to the third transfer)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kait)
Kait is an absolute Angel! She was my biggest support system through my entire journey. She always replied to my concerns and got me answers to my questions. She would personally call me to explain in greater detail after test results. She is the BEST nurse.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is honestly top notch. They have all the latest technology and the doctors stay up to date with all the latest data. Monitoring appointments can be done at the Oak Brook and Highland Park locations, but all procedures are done downtown. The nurse practitioners have appointments in the suburbs, but the physicians typically stay downtown.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance thankfully covered IVF, so I just had to pay my out of pocket max for the year which was $3500. I never had any issues with the billing department. Embryo testing was not covered, so that was an additional $5000. Also, the ERA and ReceptivaDx testing is not covered by any insurance, so that was an extra $1500 out of pocket. In total: $10,000
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2021, Unsuccessful
My husband and I were advised to complete genetic testing of our embryos and paid for the service. Genetic testing never occurred. After the fact, Dr. Boots indicated my embryos were too fragile; however, this was never told to myself or my husband until the mistake was made. Since it did not occur, we were required to re-open an emotional wound and try for the embryo transfer which ultimately was unsuccessful....
Cattle call, had to get there [Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] super early, wait in line...Make sure everything is written down and you have a copy...we were advised and paid for our embryos to be tested and this did not occur. All would have been avoided if protocol had been followed. Nowhere in my records does indicate my embryos were not to be genetically tested...I did not receive payment until I found out my embryos were not genetically tested and seeked reimbursement
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure she writes everything down for you and you have a copy. Do not trust her word.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Make sure everything is written down and you have a copy. They do not stick to their word. As mentioned, we were advised and paid for our embryos to be tested and this did not occur. All would have been avoided if protocol had been followed. Nowhere in my records does indicate my embryos were not to be genetically tested, Northwestern chose to blame it on COVID and being behind on reimbursing me on payments made. I did not receive payment until I found out my embryos were not genetically tested and seeked reimbursement. If you try a different fertility, you will immediately see where NW falls short. Save your stress and visit a clinic which cares about its patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Cattle call, had to get there super early, wait in line. COVID hit and they started scheduling appointments which made it easier. Would not be allowed to get lab work at the clinic if I was getting blood draw only which was ridiculous.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IVF - $10K out of pocket plus drugs, FET - $5K out of pocket plus drugs, bloodwork and monitoring. Genetic testing was between $2-3K which never happened. Billing there is a nightmare.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My embryos were suppose to be genetically tested and they were not. My husband and I had to go through the process of a FET because of this error. The emotional toll and additional financial burden was not a concern to Northwestern.

2018 - 2020, Successful
When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he [Dr. Jain] remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. ... Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him.
The office [Northwestern Med] has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes
He has always been supportive of my interest in trying supplementary treatment outside of just the RE world (i.e. supplements, Naturopath, acupuncture). He has been very flexible with doing things on our timeline and not his or the clinics. He has given us his honest medical opinion for treatment based on our clinical presentation. I have never felt like he was forcing us into doing certain treatments (i.e. going right to IVF after my miscarriage). He has been clear and direct with us and explained all the medical language he was using. One issue I had was when I was 3 days after my D&C when I was in significant pain due to additional clots passing. Another doctor in the clinic performed my surgery so she was the one who I saw when I went into the clinic to figure out what was going on. After, it all subsided and i passed all the tissue I heard from my nurse who I work with but I did not hear from Dr. Jain himself about the issues after my surgery.
Come in with questions. If you do your research before you will be able to get even more out of your appointment than you have to begin with.
Dr. Jain has very personable with my husband and I since our first appointment. When we have had follow ups with him or phone calls I can tell he remembers us and he remembers details from my different cycles. He has personally reached out and called me/us to answer my questions and talk through my symptoms during cycles. He has been very kind and compassionate since the first time we met him. I never felt like he was rushing us through our appointments with him. He was very patient with us. Especially, when we met with him following my miscarriage. At that appointment I had a long list of questions and he sat with us and answered every single one before we left. He has always had a great level of compassion towards us and why we are there to see him. I have felt like he completely understands this is more than just a typical medical issue that you would see your primary doctor for. He understands that infertility is more than just physical issue in the body and it is almost highly emotional and mental.
I have done 6 IUI's up to this date. Dr. Jain's rationale for performing IUI's was because my main issue with irregular cycles due to mild PCOS. I had no other abnormal test results that indicated a more severe treatment was needed (i.e. IVF). He also had me immediately start taking 25 mcg of Synthroid to balance out my thyroid. For the IUI's, I took 5 mg of letrozole and then used the ovidrel trigger shot for each cycle. On the second IUI, my uterine lining wasn't thickening as it should have been so they put me on 10 mg of Estradiol. This was the cycle I got pregnant! I had an early miscarriage for unknown cause (genetic test showed the baby was chromosomal normal). For the following 3 IUI's, Dr. Jain had me taking 20 mg progesterone suppositories following the IUI to help assist with implantation. Throughout this process I have had to increase my Synthroid dose. After my 5th IUI (4th failed), we decided to take a break from treatments and see a Naturopath doctor. After a few months of diet change and additional testing/treatments suggested by the Naturopath we returned to Dr. Jain to discuss next treatment options. He went talked us through what IVF would look like and the pros and cons for our situation. He also talked about the pros and cons of continuing with IUI's. He was very supportive and willing to continue with IUI's because we had success. After that appointment, we decided to try more IUI's. We had our 6th IUI in March 2020 with the same treatment protocol listed above. We had set a plan with Dr. Jain for what we would do different if I got a positive pregnancy test. This included taking blood thinners to help maintain the pregnancy. Unfortunately, I did not get pregnant from that cycle. We are currently in a holding pattern right now due to COVID-19 and have not been able to start another IUI. Our plan is to try two more IUI's and see if either is successful before discussing other options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
My nurse Joyce has been amazing. She has been an amazing communicator since the first day I met her. She will quickly return my messages through the online chart or phone call. When I was in significant pain following my D&C she was the one who got in me into the clinic to see the doctor who performed my surgery. She has been so kind and compassionate with me as well. She is the one who called me to tell me the results of the genetic test of my baby following my miscarriage. She was the one who told me the baby I lost was a boy. I could hear the sadness in her voice as she told me all this. I did not feel like she was just making another call with results to the patients. I would also like to state that all the nurses who performed my IUI's have been amazing during the procedures. They have been completely understanding of what is going on with us. They are extremely knowledgeable. When I first decided to do IUI's I thought it would be the doctor doing them. But when I found out it was the nurses I was a little hesitant because I didn't know what the norm was in a large clinic. After my first experience with the nurse performing my IUI I no longer was unsure. They have been so professional and competent and great cheerleaders every time.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
A weakness of my clinic is the size. The office has a lot of patients and it is difficult to get consultation appointments with the RE's. The clinic has great clerical staff. They learn your names, they greet you with friendly hellos even at 6:30 am and they always wish me good luck whenever i have scheduled an IUI. The clinic is very efficient during morning monitoring times. Unless, there is a significant amount of people (i.e. after a holiday weekend) I am almost always in and out of there in 30 minutes.
Our insurance did not cover any procedures. It is $709 per IUI. My Ovidrel injections cost $92. We paid co-pays per our insurance for all other appointments.
During the process of my first IUI the doctor reading my mid-cycle ultrasound and bloodwork told me I had likely ovulated already and potentially missed the chance to do the IUI. This was NOT my doctor. This was a doctor different from Dr. Jain. When we finally spoke with Dr. Jain corrected that doctor and told me I had not ovulated and we had not missed our chance for the IUI. Again, the issue was with another doctor in the clinic and also not Dr. Jain. This was unfortunately the doctor who told me I had miscarried. At that time, I did not feel like she had given us a lot of compassion or had a lot of emotion for what we were going through.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Investor
Dr. Jain is more than happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions. It’s difficult to see Dr.Jain outside of the scheduled consultations given the size of the clinic...is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything...One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor...Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks...Monitoring appointments were quick and easy! Results and any changes to protocol were provided later in the day via secure email.
Dr. Jain is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything. That being said, it is my understanding that he is one of the best doctors at Northwestern and in the area in general.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor
I respond very well to the meds and create a lot of eggs. I am always on the lowest doses of Menopur and Follistim. My problem is that I don’t produce high quality embryos so after three rounds we only produced two PGS tested Day 6 embryos. One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana Sullivan )
Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks. She also is happy to celebrate any small victories with me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is one of the best in the area but is very large and any appointments are scheduled far in advance. Also expect to see a different doctor for each medical appointment. The nurses are the patients main points of contact.
We’re luck that insurance covers the medical procedures associated with IVF. We have to pay out of pocket for medications (approximately $7k) and genetic testing (approximately $3k) per round of IVF.
I’m happy to do eSETs but understand that transferring two Day 3 embryos, given my history of poor quality embryos, was the right choice.

2020, Unknown Success
The location [Northwestern Medicine] is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. ... [Nursing staff] Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything.
Dr. Boots was welcoming from the first appointment and very comfortable, I didn't feel rushed in my decision like my two previous doctors, she was very compassionate and made my husband feel included also. My husband has mentioned that he feels very happy with her and feels like we can come out with a baby of our own at the end of our journey. Dr. Boots suggest numerous options and explained every single step and recommended us for grants and she also is great at following up. For a military family always getting stationed in different places, I highly recommend Dr. Boots so far throughout our journey. I'll even go as far as after we have our child and in a few year if we are stationed somewhere else, we will come back to her as she is the most efficient and professional doctor we had so far.
I would tell my friends or anybody looking to start a family with help that you will feel welcomed and don't worry about being rushed with your appointment like most doctors will. She will explain everything even draw out diagrams to help further explain various examples and/or situations. She looks at all angles and will assist you in coming up with a plan. As a military family, we appreciate her so much as our schedule is never routine. She will work around your schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She took her time in explaining the process and tests that we would have to do. Dr. Boots was very compassionate and heard and answered every question we had. She didn't rush us and took her time.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Boots first went through our situation, took time to understand our story, as we seen clinics in Guam and San Diego with no success, then she explained and present diagrams of all options, after getting an HSG test and a sonohysterogram, I was diagnosed with tube blockage and will have surgery to get my tube removed and with that Dr. Boots explained IVF will be one of the only options left. So she explained the procedure and set us up with a financial counselor to explain the process. Within, our first two visits we had a game plan with the route we were going to go without the financial plan yet. We are still waiting on the results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything. All of the staff will greet you and care to you and they even remember specifics as in family members, for example, I just adopted my sister-in-law while in Guam before I transferred to my new duty station and the fact they remember and asked how she is doing is awesome and makes us feel welcomed. They always thank my husband for his service in the military and he appreciates that as well.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The location is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. I am sure they deal with some difficult patients at one time or another yet you can tell their cohesiveness helps them function as one.
Since we are in the military, Tricare allows us to see her and get certain services completed but does not cover IVF or IUI so she recommended various grants and yet the visits, bloodwork, and other procedures were covered by insurance.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots explained the cost and differences between the single and multiple embryo process. She went step by step and explained the different processes.
Chicago

Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible. ... She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team [at Northwestern Medicine] isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely. ... She [Dr. Goldman] believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman is amazing. She cares deeply for her patients, and really makes you feel like you are on this journey together. She is positive, but doesn't sugar coat the situation you are in dealing with infertility but she provides you with hope. I feel safe in her care and I trust her to take care of me throughout this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask as many questions as you want, and if you don't understand something ask for clarification. Dr. Goldman never made me feel rushed or embarrassed to ask questions, she understands this is a sensitive journey and she wants you to be as comfortable as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Goldman has amazing bed side manner, she always looks you in the eye, speaks to you with kindness and directness, and is always very prepared for your appointments. When I had a miscarriage, she was the one to tell me and I will never forget the kindness and compassion she showed me on that horrible day.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I had two IUIs with clomid and tigger shot, one ending in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. She got me in the very next day the day before Thanksgiving for a D&C. Then, we tried two more IUIs with Clomid and trigger shot, both ending in a negative pregnancy. We are going to start IVF as soon as the coronoavirus settles down.
Amazing!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Advocate for yourself and your appointments that are needed when scheduling. The scheduling team isn't always the same as the nursing staff so be sure to clarify what you need to schedule to ensure that it gets taken care of. They are all organized and timely.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She believes you should only transfer one embryo because it's the safest option for me, and I trust this and want this as well!

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. ... She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist. ... She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!) ...
NW [Northwestern Medicine] does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment. ... The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi made us feel instantly at ease. She explained things thoroughly and answered our millions of questions with kindness and expertise. She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and be your own advocate. If you have multiple losses, seek out a reputable Reproductive Immunologist to work with Dr. Bernardi. If you have unexplained infertility, insist upon the ReceptivaDX to test for the biomarker for endometriosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!)
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Bernardi did every test (except for ones related to immunology). Based on my AMH, it was determined that have diminished ovarian reserve. Therefore she did not want to over suppress my ovaries. My standard treatment for medicated cycles was: 350 Gonal F Trigger: 250 Ovidrel When that didn't produce more than 2 follicles, we tried Menopur and Estrogen priming but got poorer results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana our Nurse is like family! She is there for us at any time and we really feel that she is rooting for us. She is so quick to get back to us and is so compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a very large clinic so expect a cattle call kind of office. Sometimes there is standing room only in the waiting area. The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Thankfully, our insurance covered everything except the ReceptivaDX test. NW does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment.
Chicago

The Northwestern Medicine Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Clinic is great! They are knowledgeable, kind, patient, and provide hope. They have made this process less scary and eased our anxiety along the way. One drawback would be the wait time for scheduling appointments with your doctor. ... The monitoring appointments were convenient and occurred before work hours. The process was efficient and smoothly ran.
Dr. Goldman has been amazing during our infertility journey. We met her for a consultation the day after my 40th birthday. She has been informative, comforting, and encouraging. She has been thorough in presenting us with all our options, making sure we understand next steps and available to answer questions that arise along the way. Most recently after our stimulation process did not produce the results we were hoping for, she scheduled a telehealth appointment (due to COVID-19) to check-in with us to ensure we were okay. She gives us hope that they process will eventually work!
Any prospective patient would be in great hands with Dr. Goldman. I would recommend scheduling in advance as she is often booked.
Dr. Goldman took the time to explain our options (IUI, IVF) and answered our many questions during our consultation and subsequent appointments. She has been comforting while providing us with realistic and sensitive information. She has been able to ease our anxieties during this whole process and has given us hope for a child(ren).
We completed two IUI cycles. I was prescribed Clomid for 5 days and then an Ovidrel injection. Neither IUI cycle resulted in pregnancy. We have gone through one round of egg stimulation and retrieval thus far. We have not been able to do another cycle of stimulation nor transfer due to the COVID 19 emergency. Due to my age, I was prescribed high doses of stimulation medications to retrieve as many eggs as possible. ( Gonal F 300 units/day; Menopur 150 units/day; Ganirelix 250 mg; Ovidrel 250 mg as the trigger shot). The egg stimulation resulted in 12 eggs retrieved. 10 of the eggs fertilized and we had 4 embryos created. Due to my age, genetic testing was recommended. After the genetic testing was complete, we have 1 healthy embryo for eventual transfer.
The nursing staff are warm, compassionate, and uplifting. They have been responsive to any and all questions presented to them.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance coverage for fertility medications is a $10,000 lifetime allotment and 10% out of pocket copay. I went through this allotment very fast and the copay amount was pretty high. The Northwestern Medicine Specialty Pharmacy was willing to work with me and my insurance to maximize the most insurance coverage and less the out of pocket expense. The clinic has a $2,095 payment for embryo storage that is due before the stimulation process can begin. We spent just over $3500 for medication copays, medications, and genetic testing. Thus in total our out of pocket cost for the egg stimulation/retrieval is over $5,600. We will have to pay out of pocket for any further medication associated with the embryo transfer and if we would like to pursue another round of egg stimulation/retrieval. Unfortunately, we were informed that there is no financial assistance available for us during this process through Northwester Medicine nor EMD Serrano as we do not qualify financially :(
Dr. Goldman recommended a single embryo transfer to ensure the likelihood of a successful, healthy pregnancy.
Chicago

Krista and Dana are Dr. Jain's nurses [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] and they are simply the best. Like most fertility clinics, your primary communication is with the nurses. Whenever i had a question and sent them a message on my chart, within seconds, I had a detailed response from both of them. Dr. Jain is very popular and when I needed to get in last minute to do another round of IVF, Dana and Krista worked their magic to get me in. When I was waiting for my 3rd round of beta results, Dana messaged me on my chart as soon as she got in. They are simply the best.
Dr. Jain gave the biggest gift he could possibly give us, our miracle baby boy. I was getting treatment at FCI prior to seeing Dr. Jain and I felt like I was just treated like a number and not a person. When I started seeing Dr. Jain in January 2020 after a recommendation by my sister n law who was in her 40s and had a very successful 1st cycle of IVF by Dr. Jain, I was blown away at the difference in care with him. Dr. Jain has the best amazing bedside manner. He is a good listener and is very compassionate. You can tell that he is rooting for you. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. Anytime I had questions, it was always very easy to set up a consultation with him. I felt very involved in my care and he was very receptive to my ideas as well. He would change my protocol as needed with each round. I already knew that we have a male factor issue and a poor egg quality issue and even with the odds against us, he made my dream come true. We are having our baby boy in July 2021 and it is all because of Dr. Jain. You would be foolish to look elsewhere. I have recommended him to some of my co-workers and they now pregnant too. Look no further than Dr. Jain for your fertility needs. He is a miracle worker.
nothing, please stay exactly the same. I can't wait to start my next round of IVF with him in January 2022.
micro dose lupron protocol with follistim is the protocol that got me pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: dana and krista )
Krista and Dana are Dr. Jain's nurses and they are simply the best. Like most fertility clinics, your primary communication is with the nurses. Whenever i had a question and sent them a message on my chart, within seconds, I had a detailed response from both of them. Dr. Jain is very popular and when I needed to get in last minute to do another round of IVF, Dana and Krista worked their magic to get me in. When I was waiting for my 3rd round of beta results, Dana messaged me on my chart as soon as she got in. They are simply the best.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is hands down the best fertility clinic in the chicagoland area. Look no further than Dr. Jain at northwestern fertility. The hospital is so clean and nice. The IVF egg retrieval and transfer procedures are done downtown and you have a beautiful view of downtown Chicago. All the rooms are so clean and spacious.
not sure, insurance covered everything

2020, Unknown Success
The very first time I met him [Dr. Jain]...He was confident that I would not need IVF and with 4 IUI (3 being negative and 1 being a chemical pregnancy). After our 2nd telemed meeting we are now doing IVF...He does take the time to listen to you...he basically told me to go on a Plant based diet, lose weight, cut sugar out, and stop eating meat because its bad food....
I just felt everytime I walked into the office [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] I was just another $ instead of a person...Strengths: Fast and sufficient. Answer your questions in a timely manner. Multiple sites your able to go to. Weakness: Only downtown location is open on the weekends, appointments are far out so you have to take what you can get, if you normally go to a specific site be aware if its booked you have to go to another site, getting your period on the weekend is the worst because monday is there busiest days.
I've only met Dr. Jain twice never in person only telemed because of Covid. The very first time I met him to my partner and I he seemed cocky he basically told me to go on a Plant based diet, lose weight, cut sugar out, and stop eating meat because its bad food. He was confident that I would not need IVF and with 4 IUI (3 being negative and 1 being a chemical pregnancy). After our 2nd telemed meeting we are now doing IVF. Which is not only time consuming but is very expensive. I will say I cut dairy out of my diet and did lose 28 pounds. Never had natural periods until I lost all that weight the last 5 months my periods have been coming by themselfs and timid. He does take the time to listen to you and it is very overstimulating the amount of information that is received and what your body really goes through! You are mentally and physically drained.
Be prepared- this experience is very long and becomes overwhelming for you and your partner. It consumes your life from the blood draws, semen samples, ultrasounds, and appointments. You pretty much work around their availability and I've personally have missed a lot of work just to attend these appointments. *Do your researches make notes and DO NOT be afraid to ask Questions.
I just felt everytime I walked into the office I was just another $ instead of a person. My first time doing an IUI/ ultrasound nobody explained to me I needed to undress and I stayed in the room unsure what to do and nervous. Finally, when the tech came in she was unhappy that I was not on the table ready to go. I had a chemical pregnancy and I just feel like my world just shattered they didn't offer services/ therapy anything to get me through my worst nightmare just an apology.
My partner and I decided to do 2 timid intercourses and 2 IUI. But, the protocols were similar. Timid intercourse: Notify the clinic of day 1 of period. Day 3 of period schedule you for bloodwork and ultrasound. Based on your bloodwork and ultrasound they send you a message letting you know to start taking Letrozole 5mg once a day for 5 days. Return for bloodwork and ultrasound and based on your results the nursing staff will tell you when to give the trigger shot usually 24 hrs last between 9pm-10pm. The nursing staff gave specific instructions for the timid intercourse usually the next three days. Wait 2 weeks and take a pregnancy test. The IUI:Notify the clinic of day 1 of period. Day 3 of period schedule you for bloodwork and ultrasound. Based on your bloodwork and ultrasound they send you a message letting you know to start taking Letrozole 5mg once a day for 5 days. Return for bloodwork and ultrasound and based on your results the nursing staff will tell you when to give the trigger shot usually 24 hrs last between 9pm-10pm. The nursing staff reaches out to scheduling to set you a time for your partner and yourself to go in the IUI procedure (Usually 2-3 days after trigger shot).
Strengths: For the most they were in great communication with me letting me know the next steps if I had any questions they were quick to respond. Weakness: I do not like how many people have access to my information I felt like I was getting different answerings which made it confusing.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Make sure you try to have the best deductible because the cost quickly add up. The trigger shot is through Northwestern Speciality Pharmacy and you have to special order that shot and it was $20.00. The ultrasounds and bloodwork after I met my deductible were free essentially but prior the blood work was roughly $10-$30 and ultrasound was $30-$50
No comments this process was explained thoroughly to me and I understood why he is transferring one embryo instead of multiples.
2020, Unsuccessful
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles...I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time...She seemed very intelligent and professional. I liked her personality and bedside manner. She was very nice. However, they definitely don't prioritize IUI patients which I get. But the whole experience with 2 IUI cycles, I just felt like I was ushered through. I thought I wouldn't be someone who needed my hand held through the process, but left feeling like their process was cold and impersonal.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I did not respond...so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
The clinic is busy, you probably won't talk to her more than once or twice. She is smart and I am sure she's a great doctor. It didn't work out for me. I decided I needed a smaller clinic with a more personal experience.
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles. They always emailed updates and results, did not call. I don't feel like I got to know any staff and they certainly didn't get to know me. I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time.
I had 2 IUI cycles with Letrozole.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a big clinic with a lot of patients. Impersonal experience with my IUI cycles, but im sure they put more into IVF patients. Very updated, nice facilities. I switched clinics to start IVF, because it would have been a 3 to 5 month wait with a lot of hurdles. I felt like I had to do a ton of administrative work to move things along. I decided I wanted to go with a smaller clinic with a more personal experience. I have already had my egg retrieval with the new clinic before Northwestern would have even been about to get me in for a consult and start booking the pre-ivf appointments
I was upset with my 2nd IUI. I did not respond to the low dose of leyrozile, so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
Chicago

My husband and I are people that like to just get to the point, Dr. Robins was always incredibly informative and was to the point without seeming like he was insensitive to our situation. He had confidence in what he was doing that gave us peace of mind. ... I am in the medical field, and he never spoke to me like I didn't understand what was going on. He never made us feel like he was in a rush (even if he was). He answered every single question with us that we had and always takes his time to make sure we felt prepared for the next steps.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time. ... They [nurses] are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Trust the process, knowing that you are in good hands.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have only had a plethora of testing done at this point, we have not yet moved forward with IVF cycles at this point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
They are the ones that help me coordinate medication, do the day to day communication on treatment plans. They are prompt in their responses and always helpful.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are highly organized, clean, and prompt. You can always get a hold of someone during office hours, and if they are tied up, they are prompt in a response to you. I can't think of any weaknesses at this time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
All I can remember is IVF is approximately 10,000 out of pocket- not including medications.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He firmly believes in only transferring one embryo to avoid complications.
Chicago

Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She [Dr. Boots] is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse [Northwestern Medicone]. ... 3 medicated IUI cycles using 100mg Clomid x 5 days, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI and progesterone. 3 cycles using 7.5 mg Letrozole x 5 days, timed intercourse, progesterone.
Great hours [at Northwestern Medicine], reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene. ... Nurse in training experience x 3, unsettling for first IUI, lacked confidence and did not relay follow up information
Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse.
Ask for what you need. Ask clarifying questions for better understanding.
The system gets you in and out efficiently. This is great for working people but human connection is lacking as a result. There are occasional disconnects when information sent via messaging vs phone call or in person appointment. The conveniences we appreciate and are lucky to have access too also create disconnect in emotional support and person to person interaction.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Alex or Claire)
Professional, responsive, uses canned responses which is efficient but sometimes not edited or personable.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Great hours, reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene.
Had met deductible when started IUI so most costs covered. Monitoring ultrasounds cost about $300, labs $30-60. Unable to afford IVF not covered by insurance.
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg is one of the foremost doctors in the field. She is knowledgeable and experienced and no nonsense, which I appreciate. Dr. Feinberg is also empathetic, caring, considerate, honest and an excellent communicator. I very much appreciate her approach to treatment. ... We started with Clomid IUI when my saline ultrasound and bloodwork demonstrated positive findings. After disappointing sperm counts and motility, we moved directly into IVF.
Scheduling [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] is a disaster, always. Plan your appointments as soon as you can. The best way to schedule follow up appointments is with the on-site schedulers, as opposed to the 800#. Financial advisors are not particularly friendly and are very blunt. ... They failed to schedule follow up appointments after a failed IUI in Nov. They failed to inform me about next options until I scheduled an appt to do so. They failed to schedule me with the doctor, when I called to schedule with her specifically (they scheduled me for bloodwork only).
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Book early. She's difficult to get an appointment with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was incredibly empathetic, caring, no nonsense and she actually listened to me.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Bethany)
Nurses and lab technicians (ultrasound and phlebotomy) are proficient and also caring and kind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Scheduling is a disaster, always. Plan your appointments as soon as you can. The best way to schedule follow up appointments is with the on-site schedulers, as opposed to the 800#. Financial advisors are not particularly friendly and are very blunt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Insurance will not cover our treatments. IUI was approximately $2000 including medication. IVF is approximately $18,000, including medication.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have not gotten to the point of retrieval yet, as is was cancelled for COVID -19
Highland Park
2020, Unknown Success
I think that Dr. Pavone so far has been professional and came with a good plan. The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. ... I think that Dr. Pavone was professional and after consultation with our current situation she came with a good plan. We are eager to start the process of IUI or IVF after Clovis-19 is over.
Quick appointments [at Northwestern Med] for test and results. Very clean and organized. Felt a warm environment. Weakness is that they didn’t communicate to us the results of my husband the second time and we had to call to find out that the results were out ... The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. The nurses are good as well.
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think that Dr. Pavone so far has been professional and came with a good plan. The waiting for appointments were short and easily we got our tests back within few days. The nurses are good as well. We still didn’t start our fertility treatment due to Covid. The tests so far were done in a proper manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask as many questions and do search at home to what to expect
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have been prescribed some vitamins for my hubby to increase his sperm motility and concentration. Meanwhile I have been prescribed clomid and a shot when I will start the IUI process
The nurses are very helpful and friendly
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Quick appointments for test and results. Very clean and organized. Felt a warm environment. Weakness is that they didn’t communicate to us the results of my husband the second time and we had to call to find out that the results were out
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Around 1k after our insurance
They did not communicate to us that the results of my husband were out and they weren’t out on the app as well
Mary Ellen Pavone

Investor
Dr. Jain listened to our concerns from our previous two IVF cycles and adjusted our protocol to help achieve our desired results (i.e. no OHSS) for our third cycle.... After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs.
I would definitely recommend the Northwestern Fertility Clinic. Given that they’re part of the Northwestern network of hospitals, it gives me faith that I am working with top notch care givers in a top notch institution. The appointments are usually very well run and efficient. The only drawback is that since they’re such a large clinic, there is little room for flexibility. If you are unable to make it to a monitoring appointment betweem the ascribed times, you will have to wait until the next day.
We were initially introduced to Dr. Jain during our third embryo transfer. He was kind and careful during that procedure. I ended up becoming pregnant but lost the baby nine weeks later. As an aside, it turns out that the baby had a severe case of down syndrome. In between the embryo transfer and our miscarriage, our doctor had retired and it was recommended that we meet with Dr. Jain for our follow-up appointment. Despite being a large clinic, Dr. Jain remembered performing our embryo transfer and gave his condolences several times given that we lost the baby from that transfer. We decided to move forward with Dr. Jain for our third, and hopefully last, IVF cycle. We just had our egg retrieval two day’s ago, but so far Dr. Jain has been extremely sympathetic to our situation, needs and wishes and has done whatever was in his ability to set us up for a good outcome. Most importantly, he listens to what we have to say.
I would tell a perspective patient that they most likely won’t see Dr. Jain often but know that he is working behind the scenes and will monitor your case and implement your wishes however he can. So please speak up. Dr. Jain is there to listen and craft a plan with your assistance.
I am prone to OHSS. After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs. He put me on 75 units of Menopur and 125 units of Follistim. After five days, he reduced my Follistim dose to 100 units and we discontinued my stims after 8 days. The doctor who performed my egg retrieval, Dr. Boots, ended up getting 16 eggs of which 11 fertilized. We are much happier with this modest amount.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana M. Sullivan, RN)
My primary nurse, Dana Sullivan, RN, could not be a better caregiver. I have work with three different REs (the first two retired) and she has been my one constant. Dana is kind and companionate and the one that I’ve talked to when I had a positive beta and a negative beta. She also sought me out at the clinic after my miscarriage to give her condolences. She is great at what she does.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic down monitoring within a two hour window each morning during the early hours (6:45 to 7:45, I believe). While this doesn’t always jive with our schedule, especially with a little one at home that needs to be dropped off at daycare, once we get to the clinic, monitoring appointments usually run very smoothly. I am usually in and out within twenty minutes.
We are lucky in that our insurance covers the procedures related to IVF. We only have to pay for medications and genetic testing. That being said, we asked Dr. Jain to send in the request for medications in December even though we weren’t doing IVF until February because we had already spent our deductible in 2018 and the medications would be free (we’ll take our small wins where we can). Dr. Jain complied but failed to order enough Follistim to cover a minimum of 8 days. What we had only covered 7 days. We had to purchase more Follistim in February because we were 75 units short and it cost us $1.5k. We will also have to pay for genetic testing, which will likely cost around $5k.
The fertility clinic as a whole has a very strict one embryo transfer policy. I’m not sure what circumstances would make the doctors change this protocol. Perhaps if the patient is over 40 and did not test their embryos they would be more willing to transfer more than one.
I have had the clinic fail to order the right dose of stim medications causing me to spend an addition $1.5k for just a one day dose (100 units) of Follistim. The clinic has also failed on more than one occasion to refill my Synthroid prescription despite my requests and they have sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy. That being said, these are minor errors in the grand scheme of things. They have never made a critical error.
Chicago

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.

2019, 14 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Eve Feinberg] personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way...is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process...is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process
nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff [at Northwestern Medicine] were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind...When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening...I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me...Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings.
Dr. Feinberg is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process
You will be in great hands!
Dr. Eve Feinberg is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process. I cannot remember all of the names of those who touched my care, but nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind. Dr. Feinberg personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way. When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and Kelsey and Dr. Lawson, Dr Pavon)
Very kind and communicative daily about next steps
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings. Amazing view of the city and an environment that put you at ease through very nerve wrecking appointments. Free coffee and snakcks Very friendly receptionists. I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me. The nurses were kind and explained every step and would always call me back quickly if I had a medication question. My Egg freezing went very smoothly and I had excellent and things went exactly as my primary doctor and nurses said that it would.
First come first serve. If you got there super early it was in and out and a little longer but after a few visits I knew what to expect!
$5800 out of pocket for fees and meds that my insurance did not cover

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor...is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing...I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being froze
Dr. Robins is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing.
Don’t use him if you need comforting care.
The clinic is very much like a cattle call- the sheer volume of patients moving through their office each day is staggering. My care was managed by whoever was on call that day.
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor. The protocol for my first 2 retrievals was Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being frozen for PGS/PGD testing. Only had 3 transferable after testing.
90% of my contact with the nurses was through MyChart where my questions would get answered by whomever was there at the time. I could never tell if they were sharing notes. Consistency of care is a major problem. Some nurses are kind, some are helpful, some are neither.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t recommend NW to friends. I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care. They rotate around each day and it became very clear that other docs besides mine didn’t know what was going on with me. Be prepared for advocate for yourself. The on-call doc for my first retrieval mistakenly did not adjust my meds down correctly so I got overstimulated. And for my final retrieval, another doctor prescribed Ovidrel trigger even though I was close to overstimulating again. This was resolved by me getting in the middle of my doctor and the other doctor on call to advocate for myself. Their financial counselors are kind of terrible- pay very close attention to your bills because they make mistakes on their billing. And they are a zero balance clinic so prepare yourself for ultimatums coming from nurses before being able to proceed with protocols.
Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call.
have insurance coverage for some of it but paid $40 copay per visit (these REALLY add up), $895 per retrieval for cryopreservation, plus my coinsurance costs. Total of about $4,500 for 3 retrievals and 2 transfers spanning 2 calendar years. Not counting parking costs!
They wouldn’t transfer more than one.
Communication breakdowns are a regular occurrence. Also had a couple snafus between the nurses and front desk/appointment booking.
Chicago

So far he [Dr. Jain] is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible...I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?...Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger...1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn...
all options should be available at all locations [of Northwestern Medicine]. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown...Everyone’s hands are in the chart. With the primary location being downtown, I feel like the dictate the plan. I had nurses communicating with me that I have never met nor spoken to. All communication is computer chart based.
So far he is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible.
Be prepared to not see a MD during your IUI. I was completely caught off guard. Be prepared to travel down town for monitoring and procedures, I was under the impression everything could be done in Oakbrook.
Dr Jain made me feel good, he explained things. However I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?
Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger. Letrozole works better with those with a history of PCOS. 1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
If you’re going to promote numerous locations... all options should be available at all locations. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown.
Last I have heard... my insurance covers 5 IUI’s and 4 IVF procedures.
1-2 with a 3 day. 1 with a 5 day.
Initially I was going to go on birth control prior to my first cycle start. Order was never called in. I was advised by the doctor himself when a procedure would take place, it took 3 days for someone to finally get back to me to say oops sorry nope. Abnormalities were noted on previous ultrasounds but proceeded with cycles regardless.
Chicago

Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.
Chicago

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.
Chicago

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
Chicago

I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. ... Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. ... He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends.
My only real complaint is that they [Northwestern Medicine] continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. ... All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. I was a bit disappointed that he did not seem to review the very lengthy intake paperwork I had to complete before my first appointment. Not sure why patients are made to complete it if it will not be reviewed by their doctor.
Make sure you know your goals and what you would like your treatment to look like. He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends. Be prepared with questions as he does not volunteer much information unless you bring it up.
I had two appointments with Dr. Jain, my initial consultation and a follow up to set my treatment plan based on test results. My in person meetings with Dr. Jain have been great. He is very personable. Since my 2nd visit, I have only had contact with the nursing staff and have not had any communication with Dr. Jain. I assume I could request appointments with him, but since I am paying out of pocket for my treatment and each visit with him is $400+, I am content to give a few more IUIs a try before discussing next steps.
I have no known fertility problems, other than those common for a women in her mid 30s. I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. He recommended medicated IUIs (low doses of Clomid/Letrozole at same time and Ovidrel trigger shot to time the IUI better). I asked to skip the Clomid initially due to my concerns about the side effects, but we did add it back into my treatment plan for IUI #3. My first two IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests and I am currently in the TWW for IUI #3. I was a bit disappointed to find out he had me trigger with my first IUI when my follicle was quite small still (18mm) and my lining was very thin as it felt like we probably had the timing off for that one. Since then, I've been more proactive in my care and have pushed back when I felt the timing wasn't right.
I've worked with several different nurses on Dr. Jain's team. Some have been great, taking time to get to know the details of why I am seeking treatment and being very responsive to any questions I had (all questions are communicated through MyChart messaging system). One of the nurses was much slower to respond (it seemed like she would wait until the end of the day to review/respond to messages) or would forget to upload my labs to the patient portal unless I sent a request for the results. She also always included language about my partner in her communications, even though she would know I was seeking treatment on my own if she took the time to review my records. All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only real complaint is that they continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. The clinic space is very nice, with views out to Lake Michigan and beverages and snacks available, if needed. They have a main waiting area and a smaller waiting area for those who are having procedures that day. The smaller waiting area can be a bit cramped and could do with some additional seating. I also think it is kind of odd that the embryology lab never shows me the donor sperm vials. I write down the number of the donor on a form when I arrive and then just have to trust that that is the vial they are thawing. I would feel more comfortable if I saw the actual vial at the time they being the thaw.
The clinic costs for each IUI were about $1,200 each cycle ($315/monitoring visit x 2 visits, $584 for each IUI). Medications were an additional $120 per visit, with the Ovidrel shot being available for $92 at the hospital pharmacy. My insurance did not cover any of the costs.
Chicago

Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. ... It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. ... I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. ... My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question. ... Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process.
Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. She made my husband and I feel very at ease during each of our meetings and explained things in terms that we could both understand. I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Do your research before seeking consultation so you can have an educated conversation with the doctor. She does a good thing of explaining things, but you'll be in a better position to understand them and grapple with any emotional what ifs prior to the meeting if you are your own advocate. She will help you along the way.
Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. We did labs that day and an ultrasound that confirmed her suspicion that I have PCOS. She gave me a good understanding that we would have to do some preliminary tests before we started a treatment course. The doctor was present in my HSG and lent words of affirmation via mychart during monitored cycles with timed intercourse. I am still in this method of treatment and may advance to IUI if we don't have luck this month. She is approachable and hopeful in her approach. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernardi.
It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. I had no issues with that so the suggested method of treatment was to recruit follicles with Femara and trigger with Ovidrel while doing monitored cycles. I am currently on my third month in a two week wait. This protocol is managed by a nurse through the mychart system to set up early morning monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process. It could seem to one, that it's a baby factory due to the location in downtown Chicago - they are very busy - but they are what I believe to be, the best.
After insurance, I have minimal costs for my monitored cycles with letrozole and ovirdrel. However, if I decide to do an IUI, that would be approximately $720 out of pocket for the procedure itself. IVF is uncovered by my insurance and costs $10,000 per round made by check.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not Applicable to me