7.1

2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

Investor
Dr. Jain listened to our concerns from our previous two IVF cycles and adjusted our protocol to help achieve our desired results (i.e. no OHSS) for our third cycle.... After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs.
I would definitely recommend the Northwestern Fertility Clinic. Given that they’re part of the Northwestern network of hospitals, it gives me faith that I am working with top notch care givers in a top notch institution. The appointments are usually very well run and efficient. The only drawback is that since they’re such a large clinic, there is little room for flexibility. If you are unable to make it to a monitoring appointment betweem the ascribed times, you will have to wait until the next day.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
We were initially introduced to Dr. Jain during our third embryo transfer. He was kind and careful during that procedure. I ended up becoming pregnant but lost the baby nine weeks later. As an aside, it turns out that the baby had a severe case of down syndrome. In between the embryo transfer and our miscarriage, our doctor had retired and it was recommended that we meet with Dr. Jain for our follow-up appointment. Despite being a large clinic, Dr. Jain remembered performing our embryo transfer and gave his condolences several times given that we lost the baby from that transfer. We decided to move forward with Dr. Jain for our third, and hopefully last, IVF cycle. We just had our egg retrieval two day’s ago, but so far Dr. Jain has been extremely sympathetic to our situation, needs and wishes and has done whatever was in his ability to set us up for a good outcome. Most importantly, he listens to what we have to say.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I would tell a perspective patient that they most likely won’t see Dr. Jain often but know that he is working behind the scenes and will monitor your case and implement your wishes however he can. So please speak up. Dr. Jain is there to listen and craft a plan with your assistance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I am prone to OHSS. After my second retrieval, in which they harvested 29 eggs, my husband and I told Dr. Jain that we didn’t want to go that route again. Dr. Jain said that more eggs out better but felt for us and did what he could so that I wouldn’t produce an over abundance of eggs. He put me on 75 units of Menopur and 125 units of Follistim. After five days, he reduced my Follistim dose to 100 units and we discontinued my stims after 8 days. The doctor who performed my egg retrieval, Dr. Boots, ended up getting 16 eggs of which 11 fertilized. We are much happier with this modest amount.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana M. Sullivan, RN)
My primary nurse, Dana Sullivan, RN, could not be a better caregiver. I have work with three different REs (the first two retired) and she has been my one constant. Dana is kind and companionate and the one that I’ve talked to when I had a positive beta and a negative beta. She also sought me out at the clinic after my miscarriage to give her condolences. She is great at what she does.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic down monitoring within a two hour window each morning during the early hours (6:45 to 7:45, I believe). While this doesn’t always jive with our schedule, especially with a little one at home that needs to be dropped off at daycare, once we get to the clinic, monitoring appointments usually run very smoothly. I am usually in and out within twenty minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We are lucky in that our insurance covers the procedures related to IVF. We only have to pay for medications and genetic testing. That being said, we asked Dr. Jain to send in the request for medications in December even though we weren’t doing IVF until February because we had already spent our deductible in 2018 and the medications would be free (we’ll take our small wins where we can). Dr. Jain complied but failed to order enough Follistim to cover a minimum of 8 days. What we had only covered 7 days. We had to purchase more Follistim in February because we were 75 units short and it cost us $1.5k. We will also have to pay for genetic testing, which will likely cost around $5k.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The fertility clinic as a whole has a very strict one embryo transfer policy. I’m not sure what circumstances would make the doctors change this protocol. Perhaps if the patient is over 40 and did not test their embryos they would be more willing to transfer more than one.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have had the clinic fail to order the right dose of stim medications causing me to spend an addition $1.5k for just a one day dose (100 units) of Follistim. The clinic has also failed on more than one occasion to refill my Synthroid prescription despite my requests and they have sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy. That being said, these are minor errors in the grand scheme of things. They have never made a critical error.
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. ... She cowers behind her nursing staff [Northwestern Medicine] to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. ... Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. ... Standard IVF protocol
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. ... This is a very poorly run clinic [Northwestern Medicine]. ... [Monitoring appointments] It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting. ... the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste. ... No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. She says it is for the safety for mother and baby, but with Northwestern's cost of $5000 per frozen transfer, there is a financial incentive for you to fail so that she can make more money on subsequent transfers. She cowers behind her nursing staff to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. I had a different doctor for both the egg retrieval and fresh transfer. All that waiting for her did was delay our ability to start treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't wait to see her, because you really won't be seeing her. Take the first available appointment unless you feel like waiting another 6 months (or longer) to actually start treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The clinic is a factory farm. You are not special. They don't care about you. You will have several nurses provide you information and several doctors will participate in your care. Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. You will see who is on call that day.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Standard IVF protocol, with a month of estrogen priming to start. 5 day fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. They only communicate via email via mychart.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very poorly run clinic. Expect to spend at least an hour in the waiting room for every early morning monitoring appointment...even if you come at the very beginning of the window. No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process. If anything, they are predatory and will only increase the emotional stress of the experience. An example of this was that the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste.
It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$10,000 for out of pocket IVF, plus additional costs for all medicines. $5,000 for frozen transfer
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She will only do a single embryo transfer unless you have very unfavorable characteristics (ie advanced maternal age and poor embryo quality).
I had a non-viable pregnancy (my HCG was not doubling), but yet the clinic nurse wanted me to continue progesterone injections and additional HCG testing appointments, saying there was a possibility it was a "lab error". The reality is that a non-doubling HCG is indicative of a non-viable pregnancy. This clinic only prolonged the agony of my loss by giving false hope and subjecting me to additional non-essential invasive procedures.
Chicago

I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement...She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond.
When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse [at Norhtwestern Medicine] had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business...They [nurses] were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person...I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!!
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Lia Bernardi was always great in person and on the phone. I spoke with her a total of two times in two years. Once at the initial meeting, once on the phone after miscarriage. She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond. Also I had to point out that my thyroid was high and only then did they put on meds for that. Nice person, not a great doctor/patient experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Look carefully at all tests and each patients results/past. Interact more with patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It is very much a fertility factory here. I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement. When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Went for FET with an embryo from an embryo retrieved at another clinic out of state. Wanted to transfer in state so found them. They transferred and it was not a success. I requested Dr. Bernardi be the one to transfer- she agreed. The dr. that showed up at the transfer was NOT Dr. Bernardi and at that point I had no choice but to do the transfer as the embryo was thawed. It failed. Then we went to IUI as I had previously gotten pregnant with iui. First stimmed iui I became pregnant. I then was shuffled between two dr.'s as Dr. Bernardi went on maternity. The pregnancy was ectopic. Given methotrexate (3x) to dissolve pregnancy. Also had an empty sac. This was expelled and I ended up being admitted to ER for excessive bleeding. Horrible times. A few months pass. We decide to do iui again. First iui failed. Second they stimmed me too hard and I feel the cycle should have been cancelled as I triggered on day 6. It failed, not surprised. This current cycle I am doing a natural cycle (I asked for this). We'll see. I am planning on going elsewhere after this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- they do a lot of procedures here and have the monitoring down. You will be with every other infertile woman in the city but it doesn't take too long. Weaknesses- not super compassionate, feels like a factory. Never felt they looked at ME- rather what normally works/is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
a lot for the fet. Each iui ends up being about 1700$
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not applicable
I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!! This was when my normal dr. was on maternity leave. My thyroid levels were off and I had to point this out! I had to request every follow up tsh test as well. My estrogen/lining was too low and I had to tell them this, "my lining seems too thin- perhaps I should have estrogen." then they said, "yes, you're right- I'll send a prescription." I wanted them to notice these things and fix them- not me. At times felt like I was my own doctor and they just performed the tests.
Chicago

I think he [Dr. Robins] was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
Location was a little rough. Middle of Chicago and traffic. Parking wasn’t ideal. Parking garage and you had to pay each visit. It was prorated though. The clinic was also nice that you could discuss needs with the receptionist and not have the whole office hear. Plenty of receptionists and all know where to transfer you for any of your needs or questions.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think he was very knowledgeable and was up to speed on statistics. Answered questions on increase of likelihood of cancer from fertility treatments. I don’t think he took time to explain the advantages of doing IVF over IUI for a woman my age. I was new to the whole fertility thing. I would have chosen IVF over IUI if I had been shown the statistics on this website.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. Ask about all treatment options. Ask specifically about your situation and the treatments available. What the statistics are for your age and different treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I think they have the process down like clockwork. But I think they didn’t spend enough time on the statistics with me on conceiving at my age. Once I said what procedures I was thinking, there wasn’t any additional information given which would have been helpful at my age.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
He used clomid for my IUI. I was told I respond very well to fertility drugs. Although I wasn’t sure what results they were looking at that made that determination.
Very professional. Had the whole process down like clockwork. Nothing I would change except for maybe a personal call every once in a while. Everything is automated.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Cost was covered by insurance except for copay.
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They strongly supported eSET.

2019, 14 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Eve Feinberg] personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way...is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process...is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process
nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff [at Northwestern Medicine] were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind...When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening...I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me...Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings.
Dr. Feinberg is so good at explaining the process and what to expect. She did not make me feel silly for wanting to freeze my eggs at 25 for social reasons where many doctors might. She helped keep my mental and physical status intact during the process
You will be in great hands!
Dr. Eve Feinberg is not only a professional, but she made me feel at peace during my process. I cannot remember all of the names of those who touched my care, but nurses Kelsey and Rachel, Dr Angela Lawson, and the front desk staff were all wonderful and supportive. Everyone was so kind. Dr. Feinberg personally called me or sent mychart messages every step of the way. When I had questions, no one ever made me feel dumb and took the time to explain what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and Kelsey and Dr. Lawson, Dr Pavon)
Very kind and communicative daily about next steps
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clean space, top floor of one of the newer buildings. Amazing view of the city and an environment that put you at ease through very nerve wrecking appointments. Free coffee and snakcks Very friendly receptionists. I enjoyed their IVF bootcamp and meeting with the psychologist to review the mental effects that IVF and egg freezing would have on me. The nurses were kind and explained every step and would always call me back quickly if I had a medication question. My Egg freezing went very smoothly and I had excellent and things went exactly as my primary doctor and nurses said that it would.
First come first serve. If you got there super early it was in and out and a little longer but after a few visits I knew what to expect!
$5800 out of pocket for fees and meds that my insurance did not cover

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor...is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing...I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being froze
Dr. Robins is straightforward and gave me his cell number which I appreciated. However, I still found it difficult to get in touch with him and trying to contact him through the nurses or MyChart was pointless. He is not warm or compassionate. Can be a little bit patronizing.
Don’t use him if you need comforting care.
The clinic is very much like a cattle call- the sheer volume of patients moving through their office each day is staggering. My care was managed by whoever was on call that day.
I had 3 retrievals at the clinic - 2 were conducted by Dr. Robins and one was by another doctor. The protocol for my first 2 retrievals was Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. I used Ovidrel to trigger for my first retrieval and got overstimulated, which was awful. 12 embryos retrieved. For the 2nd retrieval, same stim meds, but with Lupron trigger. I think I had 10 retrieved (can’t remember exactly). For the 3rd retrieval, I used an estrogen priming protocol the the same stim meds with a Lupron trigger. I think I had 11 retrieved (can’t remember). Ended up with 2-3 per retrieval after Day 5-6 that ended up being frozen for PGS/PGD testing. Only had 3 transferable after testing.
90% of my contact with the nurses was through MyChart where my questions would get answered by whomever was there at the time. I could never tell if they were sharing notes. Consistency of care is a major problem. Some nurses are kind, some are helpful, some are neither.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t recommend NW to friends. I think they are good at their protocols and their system works for many women. But unfortunately, if you have a unique issue, they don’t have a way to deal with you outside of their system. This is due to your primary doctor not being the one to consistently make the decisions for your care. They rotate around each day and it became very clear that other docs besides mine didn’t know what was going on with me. Be prepared for advocate for yourself. The on-call doc for my first retrieval mistakenly did not adjust my meds down correctly so I got overstimulated. And for my final retrieval, another doctor prescribed Ovidrel trigger even though I was close to overstimulating again. This was resolved by me getting in the middle of my doctor and the other doctor on call to advocate for myself. Their financial counselors are kind of terrible- pay very close attention to your bills because they make mistakes on their billing. And they are a zero balance clinic so prepare yourself for ultimatums coming from nurses before being able to proceed with protocols.
Monitoring occurs from 7-7:45 am and it is a cattle call.
have insurance coverage for some of it but paid $40 copay per visit (these REALLY add up), $895 per retrieval for cryopreservation, plus my coinsurance costs. Total of about $4,500 for 3 retrievals and 2 transfers spanning 2 calendar years. Not counting parking costs!
They wouldn’t transfer more than one.
Communication breakdowns are a regular occurrence. Also had a couple snafus between the nurses and front desk/appointment booking.
Chicago

So far he [Dr. Jain] is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible...I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?...Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger...1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn...
all options should be available at all locations [of Northwestern Medicine]. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown...Everyone’s hands are in the chart. With the primary location being downtown, I feel like the dictate the plan. I had nurses communicating with me that I have never met nor spoken to. All communication is computer chart based.
So far he is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible.
Be prepared to not see a MD during your IUI. I was completely caught off guard. Be prepared to travel down town for monitoring and procedures, I was under the impression everything could be done in Oakbrook.
Dr Jain made me feel good, he explained things. However I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?
Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger. Letrozole works better with those with a history of PCOS. 1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
If you’re going to promote numerous locations... all options should be available at all locations. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown.
Last I have heard... my insurance covers 5 IUI’s and 4 IVF procedures.
1-2 with a 3 day. 1 with a 5 day.
Initially I was going to go on birth control prior to my first cycle start. Order was never called in. I was advised by the doctor himself when a procedure would take place, it took 3 days for someone to finally get back to me to say oops sorry nope. Abnormalities were noted on previous ultrasounds but proceeded with cycles regardless.
Chicago

Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. ... The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
Some of the US techs [At Northwestern Medicine] are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim was honest and candid about our options. She explained the results of our infertility evaluation in detail. When IUI did not work and we decided to go forward with IVF, she spent a large amount of time answering all our questions and reviewing the steps, risks in detail. She was very knowledgeable, drawing from medical literature/data, and transparent about our options and chances. The only thing that made me unsettled (and perhaps this is a reflection of my current stress/anxiety as we are still undergoing fertility treatment) is that I felt that we should have discussed IVF as a more serious option earlier when I had a better chance of success (I.e. was younger). Even though it was a span of a year, I felt that my chances of fertility success declined over that period based on my repeat testing/evaluations and that doing IUI first was a waste of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and opinions up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kim candidly talked me through options, even when those changed given my results from various treatments. She looked through my testing and explained the various options in detail.
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For my IUIs, we used 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days, triggered with Ovidrel. I did produce 2 follicles each time. For my first IVF cycle, we started with Follistim at 300 mg and Menopur at 75 units for 3 days which is the standard start IVF regimen for the clinic from what I understand. I was then increased to Menopur 150 units along with the same dose of Follistim for 5 days. Despite the increase, my cycle ended up getting converted to IUI because of poor response (only 2 follicles).
Excellent nurses all around. Responsive to messages, detailed, helpful. Some had more difficulty with my IUI than others, but they sought out help.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a beautiful space, comfortable, efficient. Some of the US techs are more detail-oriented than others. Monitoring hours are early in AM which is helpful. There is still quite a wait for getting procedures done even if you show up on time--my IUIs typically went an actual 2 hours later than the set appointment time (even if you take into account the 45 minute sperm processing time).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have fertility benefits which covered my IUIs and medications thus far. I do have a copay for labs, US, office visits which have equaled out to about $500-$800 thus far.
Describe Helen Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We have yet to make it to transfer. But our plan is for PGS testing and transfer of 1 embryo.
Chicago

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.
Chicago

Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. ... View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps. ... She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks. ...
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university [Northwestern Medicine], staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them. ... The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal.
Dr. Kim has a kind demeanor, and is very straightforward with facts and statistics. She was upfront about the benefits and drawbacks of trying IUI, and answered all of my questions. I felt like she listened to me, and cared about trying to help us get pregnant. I personally appreciate a scientific approach, which she is how she speaks.
Make sure you have thought through your fertility journey ahead of time because she will ask you a lot of questions (i.e. timing, OPKs, tests you've had, history, etc). View Dr. Kim as a problem solver who will analyze your journey and try to help you with next steps.
Dr. Kim's consultation with myself and my husband was very thorough and rooted in facts, which I appreciate. She has a kind manner, but is very straightforward about the science behind fertility. I have only tried one cycle of IUI with Dr. Kim, and the only time I've seen her was at my consultation. I understand that this is how Northwestern's clinic works, but it does make the overall experience less personal.
My husband and I had a complete fertility work-up (HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, SA, etc) and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Kim recommended a few cycles of medicated IUI. She said it could help with some problem they haven't been able to identify. She let us know it had about a 9% success rate per cycle, but on our own we likely only had 3% chance per cycle. I took Clomid (50 mg) for 5 days with monitoring. When I had a follicle large enough (mine was 23 mm) I took an HCG trigger shot, and did an IUI 36 hours later. My husband produced a sample of 11 million post-wash, which is considered great. Unfortunately, my IUI was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff is all very nice and were quick to answer any questions I had via the online portal. A nurse performed the IUI. She was very thorough in making sure I checked over the info on the sample and explained my husband's pre- and post-wash numbers to us. She was very kind and explained every step of the process as she was doing it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Well respected hospital/university, staff is very knowledgeable, efficient office practices. Weaknesses: Not super personal - your doctor is there to oversee your progress, but there's not much face-to-face with them.
My insurance covers fertility treatments. I had already met my deductible going through my fertility testing. For the IUI I paid approximately $40, labs about $30, Clomid was $10, HCG shot (generic) was $30.
Chicago

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.
Chicago

[Dr. Christina Boots] Recommended single [embry transfer] due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me..I had a really personal experience...I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!...We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
My primary nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine...Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick...Beautiful clinic. Amazing location. Pretty efficient morning monitoring hours and convenient hours. Your doctor may not always be the one doing your procedures and it’s good to know that ahead of time. They will try, though!
Dr. Boots was so wonderful. She made me feel comfortable from the beginning. She answered all my questions, even when I came with long typed out lists. She was compassionate even when I was kist starting out and only doing the ovulation induction meds. I always felt like she cared about me, at each stage. She walked me through every step of the process every time I met with her and explained things until I felt comfortable. My body threw us a lot of curveballs and she had multiple ideas and solutions every time. We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared to your appointments! Don’t be afraid to keep asking about something if you don’t understand it. Even if you read about something online or heard about it from a friend, she will help explain and never makes you feel silly for asking.
I had a really personal experience with Dr. Boots. I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!
Letrozole & Clomid for timed intercourse/IUI. GonalF Menopur Ganirelix Omnitrope Estrogen Progesterone Lovenox for IVF. For frozen embryo transfers, we tried estrogen pills, then patches and then injections and on our last round we stimmed my ovaries with GonalF and Menopur to create my own estrogen and mimic a fresh cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel & Alex)
My primary nurses were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient machine, first come first serve. Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick.
Insurance covered.
Recommended single due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me. She supported my decision completely. We ended up going with two.
Chicago

I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. ... Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. ... He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends.
My only real complaint is that they [Northwestern Medicine] continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. ... All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Dr. Jain is very personable. I felt comfortable meeting him and enjoyed our discussions. He seemed to understand my goals and was very open to helping me as a single mother by choice. I was a bit disappointed that he did not seem to review the very lengthy intake paperwork I had to complete before my first appointment. Not sure why patients are made to complete it if it will not be reviewed by their doctor.
Make sure you know your goals and what you would like your treatment to look like. He is open to trying different medications if you have concerns about any he recommends. Be prepared with questions as he does not volunteer much information unless you bring it up.
I had two appointments with Dr. Jain, my initial consultation and a follow up to set my treatment plan based on test results. My in person meetings with Dr. Jain have been great. He is very personable. Since my 2nd visit, I have only had contact with the nursing staff and have not had any communication with Dr. Jain. I assume I could request appointments with him, but since I am paying out of pocket for my treatment and each visit with him is $400+, I am content to give a few more IUIs a try before discussing next steps.
I have no known fertility problems, other than those common for a women in her mid 30s. I sought RE treatment as I am trying to become pregnant without the involvement of a male partner, by using donor sperm. He recommended medicated IUIs (low doses of Clomid/Letrozole at same time and Ovidrel trigger shot to time the IUI better). I asked to skip the Clomid initially due to my concerns about the side effects, but we did add it back into my treatment plan for IUI #3. My first two IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests and I am currently in the TWW for IUI #3. I was a bit disappointed to find out he had me trigger with my first IUI when my follicle was quite small still (18mm) and my lining was very thin as it felt like we probably had the timing off for that one. Since then, I've been more proactive in my care and have pushed back when I felt the timing wasn't right.
I've worked with several different nurses on Dr. Jain's team. Some have been great, taking time to get to know the details of why I am seeking treatment and being very responsive to any questions I had (all questions are communicated through MyChart messaging system). One of the nurses was much slower to respond (it seemed like she would wait until the end of the day to review/respond to messages) or would forget to upload my labs to the patient portal unless I sent a request for the results. She also always included language about my partner in her communications, even though she would know I was seeking treatment on my own if she took the time to review my records. All 3 of my IUIs have been performed by the nursing staff. They have handled them professionally and with my comfort in mind.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only real complaint is that they continue to send my prescription to the wrong pharmacy, even though I have asked for them to update their records 3 times. Other than that, the check in staff, lab staff, and financial coordinators are all very friendly. The clinic space is very nice, with views out to Lake Michigan and beverages and snacks available, if needed. They have a main waiting area and a smaller waiting area for those who are having procedures that day. The smaller waiting area can be a bit cramped and could do with some additional seating. I also think it is kind of odd that the embryology lab never shows me the donor sperm vials. I write down the number of the donor on a form when I arrive and then just have to trust that that is the vial they are thawing. I would feel more comfortable if I saw the actual vial at the time they being the thaw.
The clinic costs for each IUI were about $1,200 each cycle ($315/monitoring visit x 2 visits, $584 for each IUI). Medications were an additional $120 per visit, with the Ovidrel shot being available for $92 at the hospital pharmacy. My insurance did not cover any of the costs.
Chicago

Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. ... It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. ... I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. ... My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question. ... Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process.
Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. She made my husband and I feel very at ease during each of our meetings and explained things in terms that we could both understand. I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Do your research before seeking consultation so you can have an educated conversation with the doctor. She does a good thing of explaining things, but you'll be in a better position to understand them and grapple with any emotional what ifs prior to the meeting if you are your own advocate. She will help you along the way.
Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. We did labs that day and an ultrasound that confirmed her suspicion that I have PCOS. She gave me a good understanding that we would have to do some preliminary tests before we started a treatment course. The doctor was present in my HSG and lent words of affirmation via mychart during monitored cycles with timed intercourse. I am still in this method of treatment and may advance to IUI if we don't have luck this month. She is approachable and hopeful in her approach. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernardi.
It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. I had no issues with that so the suggested method of treatment was to recruit follicles with Femara and trigger with Ovidrel while doing monitored cycles. I am currently on my third month in a two week wait. This protocol is managed by a nurse through the mychart system to set up early morning monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process. It could seem to one, that it's a baby factory due to the location in downtown Chicago - they are very busy - but they are what I believe to be, the best.
After insurance, I have minimal costs for my monitored cycles with letrozole and ovirdrel. However, if I decide to do an IUI, that would be approximately $720 out of pocket for the procedure itself. IVF is uncovered by my insurance and costs $10,000 per round made by check.
Not Applicable to me
Chicago

I did not see Dr Jain too often, just twice. Once for initial fertility consult when be advised us his plan for IUI before IVF. We met again for an IVF consultation.i thought he was quite thorough and provided hope for our case ... We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. ... I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Good online portal [at Northwestern Medicine] for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month
Most likely will be interacting with the nurses more
The receptionist, nurses, and Dr Jain knew my name and were friendly. They took their time to answer all my questions
We started with provera to induce a period as I have anonvary (spelling?) Cycles. Once my cycle started I would come in for a baseline ultrasound to check if there were any cysts or abnormalities. If all was cleared, I would take clomid for 5 days and come back for a mid cycle ultrasound to get blood work done. If estrogen levels and follicle size were mature, I would be instructed to do an ovidrel shot before coming into doing an IUI cycle. I have not started IVF yet but Dr Jain informed me of the risk of OHSS
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: alexa)
I saw multiple nurses for baseline ultrasound, mid cycle ultrasound, blood draws, and IUI procedures, however, nurse Alexa was the main communicator. I did not encounter anyone I felt uncomfortable with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good online portal for payment and communication. It would be nice if we could have me,my partner on the same communication threads but it is only set up for one patient and the nurse or doctor. It is quite popular so there could be a wait. Getting an appt can take a while. Parking rates add up when you have to go to the clinic several times a month.
With insurance, each IUI cycle was about $600. Ovidrel injection is $92 each x 5 attempts. IVF meds were $2,000 after insurance. The IVF procedure would cost about $5,000.
None
Chicago

I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me. ... Dr. Kim is very no nonsense. She's doesn't come off as the most compassionate person, but she knows her stuff. She's very black and white. I appreciate it because I don't need someone to sugar coat things, but other people may not appreciate her abrupt style.
As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they [Northwestern Medicine] really get you in and out as quickly as possible. ... The receptionists are always really friendly. ... They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant. ... The nurses are GREAT!
She's going to tell you like it is, whether you want to hear it or not.
Northwestern in general sees a lot of patients, so it feel like a lot of the time you're one of many. But each time I've met with Dr. Kim (only 3 times, I mostly deal with her nurses), she's had to refresh her memory on my case in front of me. I know she sees a lot of people, but it would be nice if she did that before coming in the room to see me.
I've done 2 IUIs with Dr. Kim. Both were 100 mg of Clomid with monitoring and Ovidrel trigger shot. My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment, and since I'm older, with unexplained fertility, she advised 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I've only had the consult for IVF with her to date.
The nurses are GREAT! They are the ones you communicate with the most, so they are really responsive and easy to talk to and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern sees a lot of patients. A lot of people will mention the "cattle call" feel of it. I didn't feel that way. As someone with an office job, I appreciated the early monitoring hours for ultrasounds and blood work. And they really get you in and out as quickly as possible. The waits aren't long at all, even on the weekends. And that they do that 7 days a week. The receptionists are always really friendly. The clinic itself is good.
My insurance doesn't cover anything, so it's all out of pocket. They will bill insurance, but most is not covered. IUIs are $700. The self-pay for IVF is $10,000, which doesn't include meds and PGS testing. They are very upfront on all the costs when you meet with the financial consultant.
In my consult, she's told me about multiple transfer vs. single and has told me the risks and the odds, based on my age.
I self-pay and no one told me that I had to pay for the IUI up front. It's not an insignificant amount of money and to be told that as you're getting ready for the procedure was jarring. I wish they would be more upfront with those kinds of things. I also had lost paperwork on one monitoring ultrasound and ended up waiting a lot longer than normal. But once I spoke up, I was taken right back and told if it ever happens again in the future, to speak up sooner.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I am a 43 year old intended mother who has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has had 6 miscarriages, 5 of the 6 miscarriages were through trying naturally. We saw Dr. Feinberg for our last two IVF rounds using my own eggs. We are beginning IVF rounds with her using donor eggs. (We have done 8 rounds of infertility treatments to date, though only two have been with her.)
Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful...is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors.
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Feinberg. She is exactly who I want and need in our corner while we fight to have our first child. I only wish we found her sooner. It would have made our first 6 rounds kinder and perhaps more successful.
Call her immediately.
Dr. Feinberg is so kind hearted, extremely knowledgeable, and has an excellent bedside manner. She remembered details about our personal lives, always called us by our preferred names/nicknames, and was the first Reproductive Endocrinologist to really explain to me what the process would be like and what I could expect---she has actually gone through infertility treatments herself, so she has personal experience. She is our first female Reproductive Endocrinologist and the only Reproductive Endocrinologist we've seen who did not boist or lead with ego. She was kind, extremely professional, and told us exactly what we needed to know to make educated decisions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I think being a patient of Dr. Feinberg's is enough of a reason to be a patient of Northwestern FRM. Northwestern is a large clinic and it is easy to feel lost there if you don't have a strong relationship with your Doctor. However, two things I think they do VERY well: require a Psychology consult with one of their in-house Psychologists before and after IVF rounds (we found it to be so incredibly helpful and Northwestern was the first clinic we worked with to suggest emotional support during treatment could be needed---yes, it was and is) and building a younger, more inclusive, heavily female, science-based, knowledgeable team of Doctors. I had one of their older, been there for a million years, male (now retired) Doctor perform our egg retrieval on our second IVF round. He walked past me, introduced himself to my husband, told him all about the procedure, and then walked out of the recovery room without acknowledging me while I sat on the table in a cap and gown waiting to go into surgery with him. The new Doctors do not operate in that archaic and disrespectful manner. Northwestern FRM has done a fantastic job of building a kinder, gentler, more female patient-friendly medical team. And I'm grateful.
Our insurance helped with the cost substantially.
Chicago

I had to request multiple times to speak with [Dr. Christina Boots] I tried to schedule a specific time or appointment. But I would only get calls when it was convenient for her. We never actually connected by phone, once my cycle started...A canceled cycle is still upsetting and devastating. A call from the Dr. and to discuss next steps would have been appreciated.
The [Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] clinic is very organized and efficient. It's a well-run system. It feels like a cattle call but the phlebotomists and ultrasound nurses work really well together. Perfect for when you want to go in for monitoring appointments before heading into work. However, it takes 3-4 weeks to be able to see your Dr.
From the beginning, due to my age I felt like they didn't want to treat me and immediately offered the egg donor option. Having been pregnant twice before, and a 1st time IVF patient, being encouraged towards egg donor-ship was startling. I wanted to exhaust all my options before looking into that route. After 2 losses, we were adamant about getting our embryos PGS tested to reduce the chances of another miscarriage. However, on the 10th day of stimulation I received a voicemail from a nurse that my cycle was being canceled due to a low # of follicles and that an IUI was being recommended. That defeats the whole reason why we are doing IVF. After the canceled cycle, the Dr. and I just couldn't connect by phone or appointment. It takes 3-4 weeks to even be able to see the Dr.
Be your own advocate. Ask questions. All of them. And be persistent.
I had to request multiple times to speak with a Dr. I tried to schedule a specific time or appointment. But I would only get calls when it was convenient for her. We never actually connected by phone, once my cycle started. NW seemed to be more concerned with following protocol than understanding a woman's situation. I had to wait over 3-4 weeks to be able to even meet with the Dr.
PRIMING: Day 10 after LH surge: 2 Estradiol Patches - replaced every 2 days Day 12-14 after LH surge: 250 mcg Ganirelix - for 3 days STIMULATION: Day 3 of period/Day 1-3 of Stim: 300 units Follistim/150 units Menopur Day 4-10 of Stim: 450 units Follistim/150 units Menopur Day 11: CANCELED cycle (2 Estradiol patches stayed on entire duration of Day 1-10 of Stimulation)
Staff was wonderful. The training nurse was helpful. But they are like robots and getting answers is like pulling teeth.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very organized and efficient. It's a well-run system. It feels like a cattle call but the phlebotomists and ultrasound nurses work really well together. Perfect for when you want to go in for monitoring appointments before heading into work. However, it takes 3-4 weeks to be able to see your Dr.
I had already reached my insurance out of pocket costs. The visits and medication were covered under my insurance.
A canceled cycle is still upsetting and devastating. A call from the Dr. and to discuss next steps would have been appreciated. I had to call the clinic to find out an update. I received a voicemail from a nurse telling me my cycle was being canceled on the 11th day. When I asked to meet with the Dr. to discuss the next protocol she wasn't available for another 3-4 weeks. ALSO, they failed to trigger me. So I didn't have a period for 3 months since I never ovulated after being stimulated. This set me back 4 more months. That was very negligent and irresponsible of the Dr.
Chicago

I do think when I came to him [Dr. Jain] expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
I just wish I understood more about how these day 6 embryos with good "grades" widdled down to ZERO healthy ones? ... They [nurses at Northwestern Medicine] were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
I do think when I came to him expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
Maybe get a second opinion before going with him if you have any concerns like I did.
I felt like a human because Dr. Jain was really empathetic when hearing I had experienced a stillbirth at 39 weeks when I was 37 years old, as well that surrounding that stillbirth both before and after I had experienced miscarriages. This said, he gave me a lot of hope that my own eggs at 40 were still healthy and that we'd be successful and we left totally gutted when 2 of our embryos were sent off to genetic testing and neither were healthy. He called and I could feel he was actually sad for us, and wanted to help. He asked if we wanted to try again and at that point since insurance didn't cover any of what I did, our credit cards were maxed and we left drained.
stimulation medication,(Gonal -F or Follistim) 225 units & Menopur 75 units tand every night within approximately one hour of your chosen time. Ganirelix/Cetrotide was weaved in at somepoint.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana and Alexandra )
They were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths are communication, I was never in the dark about my test results, my follicle count, my numbers, etc. I think they were very communicative. That said I wish because I was honest that we were going out of pocket and we've been through 4 heartbreaks already they would have fast tracked me to egg donor or embryo adoption. It made me think they wanted me to be there for a couple of rounds and tries and we just couldnt because we didnt have the money.
$10,000 down payment for 1 cycle this was not including meds, and certain labs like the genetic labs for my husband and myself and then the genetic testing on the embryos was also separate. All in we spent $20,000
Chicago

Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately...For our second cycle, I went on a low carb diet for 3 months prior to stimming. I also started taking 600mg CoQ10 daily. My husband had a TESE procedure so that we could use sperm with less DNA fragmentation and stress to fertilize our eggs. I also added in HGH... I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news...Costs are on par with national averages
While I do like Dr. Feinberg a lot, I dont love that I never saw her during active treatment. I know the clinic is quite large and it would be impossible for her to see me every visit. But I never saw her during actual treatment.
Be prepared to not see her during treatment. Though if you ask for an email to be forwarded directly to her, she responds promptly.
Dr. Feinberg is really caring and delivers all news compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire S.)
I switched nurses between my two cycles because I did not have a good rapport with my first nurse. I asked to be switched to Claire because I had previous communication with her and felt she was more compassionate. You don't necessarily always hear from your primary nurse but they are usually the ones to deliver any important instructions or news.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: part of top rated hospital; all doctors we have worked with have seemed very knowledgeable in the field Weaknesses: Because this is such a coveted clinic, however, you do sometimes feel like a number - especially during early morning monitoring appointments.
If you live a little further away from the clinic in the city there are satellite clinics in the suburbs that take appointments for monitoring.
Costs are on par with national averages
Dr. Fienberg specifically told me not to start taking DHEA and during the end of my first cycle (with my first nurse) I had asked if there were any additional supplements I could be taking and my nurse told me to start taking DHEA and if I had not questioned the conflicting information I may have ruined my cycle.
Chicago

Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest ... We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced New Patient Advice
Strengths-the mychart app, getting called back as requested Weaknesses-no education on medications for FET. Only one message saying when to start and stop meds. Was not made aware of time of FET until 2 days prior. Made it very hard to schedule .... Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app. ... She [Dr. Feinberg] highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
We had a pregnancy leading to a miscarriage when we were told pregnancy was not possible by other physicians. We went to her for a third opinion and she informed us that with my condition, she always counsels patients that there is a 5% chance of pregnancy. She then told us to go through with our plans for donor egg and frozen embryo transfer. I felt like she was truthful in her advice and we appreciated her opinion and compassion. She seems very experienced
She will not sugar coat anything.
Dr Feinberg has been extremely personable and honest
Labs, saline ultrasound to see if your uterine lining is prepared, adjust estrace and prometrium doses to have a period, baseline appointment, begin 2 week course of 4mg estrace 2x/day, mid cycle appointment to ensure uterine lining is &gt;7mm thick aNd progesterone indicates no ovulation, 6 day course of PIO injections as well as endometrin vaginal suppositories, doxycycline 2 days before FET and 2 days after. Transfer day 6th day of injections. 8 day wait for blood HCG pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine Gaedele)
Christine was easily reachable by NM MyChart app.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nothing particular to this physician.
She highly recommended single embryo transfer. This was our first attempt.
Chicago

Dr Bernardi always remembered everything about my case and was so compassionate. She would frequently call me if something came up and didn’t only rely on her nurses to share sensitive information. I always feel completely taken care of when I meet with her or talk to her and know she’s doing everything in her power to help me have a successful pregnancy.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. ... I had 100% insurance coverage for everything except PGS testing which ended up being about $4000 total
Make sure you get her as your doctor!
Dr Bernardi is the most caring and compassionate doctor I’ve ever had. She always takes the time to make me feel like she’s a partner in this with me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- they are at the cutting edge of all new treatments so I always feel confident in their suggestions or advice. They are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. While I absolutely love Dr Bernardi I haven’t loved the other doctors in the practice and wish she could be the one doing everything for me.
We are only doing single embryo transfers
2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Boots] did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
The clinic employees are always friendly and warm. The hours were helpful being that you could come in before work when it was convenient for you. The clinic separated non-pregnant patients from pregnant patients and I always appreciated that because seeing a pregnant person during my infertility struggles was difficult. ... Nurse Kelsey always called to deliver news, and even when it was bad, She was straight to the point, and she was compassionate. Kelsey always gave clear directions through my chart and quickly responded to questions.
Dr Boots was a wonderful, caring doctor. From our first visit she made us feel comfortable and made us feel heard. She used diagrams to help explain the process and answered all the questions we had. Our journey felt slow at times and not everything worked successfully, but Dr Boots was available to answer questions, always called to talk through solutions, and helped me understand next steps.
She did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Boots would only do a single embryo transfer for my age category given that I had previously become pregnant.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Eve Feinberg is one of the most caring and realistic doctors I have ever had. She is very smart and knowledgeable and will work with you throughout your entire fertility journey.I really feel like I am an important patient, even though I know she has hundreds... Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
My only complaint with this clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.... Danielle has been an excellent nurse and very accommodating to any requests or questions I've had. She is always compassionate and smart and has been with me since the beginning.
Dr. Feinberg has been a great resource for me. Not only is she my doctor, but I have felt like she is my mentor and confidant during this emotional time of dealing with infertility. Any time there has been a medical setback, she has personally called me to check in and make sure I am doing ok and help construct a plan of action for the future.
Call as soon as you know you want to see a fertility specialist as she sometimes has a waiting list.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My only complaint with this clinic is the weekend ultrasound and bloodwork. Since there are so many people, it takes a long time due to only having a few ultrasound technicians and phlebotomists. I dread going there on the weekends because I know it will take a very long time.
Chicago

Dr Robins has all of the FACTS! He is super knowledgeable and can answer all my questions well. That's what most of our discussions were about, facts of the tests, results, and next steps. I feel confident in what he tells us. If you are looking for special, tender care, Dr Robins may not be it for you. I need facts and look at things analytically, so I think it is a good match...Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!...I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole...recommend single embryo transfer if we start IVF in February...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole [at Northwestern Medicine]...All of the nurses at NW are very nice and caring. What I appreciate the most is there super fast responses to questions sent in the portal...They keep things on time! I never have to wait too long. The front desk staff and phone staff are always patient and very kind. There is an awesome view of the lake from the clinic, which some days is a nice stress reliever. Coffee, water, tea and snacks are available as well...I wonder if my treatment plan is tailored to me or if it is just the process that they make all patients follow.
Go with lots of questions, research on your own too!
I have done 4 IUI with clomid and am currently in my 5th cycle with letrozole