7.1

Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

Although I’ve only met with her [Dr. Feinberg] twice during my iui process, I still felt like she was watching my progress and called me when I was a bit frustrated with my progress. She has always been good at getting back to me through her nurses. Overall I feel like I’m in great care throughout my fertility process, and continuing on to ivf later this month. ... 1st iui - ovidrel trigger shot 2nd iui- no trigger shot 3rd scheduled iui - cancelled due to overstimulation from 50mg clomid 3rd Iui - ovidrel trigger shot
Efficient, but sometimes i do feel like just a number. Informative staff [Northwestern Med]. Fairly quick to respond to questions. Feels like a well oiled machine. Sometimes confusing processes. Starting ivf and they called in my prescription before my ivf boot camp meeting. ... Had me go in for baseline iui when I was doing a non medicated iui. Which i found out wasn’t needed.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Although I’ve only met with her twice during my iui process, I still felt like she was watching my progress and called me when I was a bit frustrated with my progress. She has always been good at getting back to me through her nurses. Overall I feel like I’m in great care throughout my fertility process, and continuing on to ivf later this month.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Understand that you may rarely see her, but that she’s well aware of your process through her awesome team.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She talked to me like a person. Seems caring and explains thing clearly.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire Smith )
Love Claire! She’s so caring and quick to respond!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient, but sometimes i do feel like just a number. Informative staff. Fairly quick to respond to questions. Feels like a well oiled machine. Sometimes confusing processes. Starting ivf and they called in my prescription before my ivf boot camp meeting.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not yet. I’m open to multiple as twins don’t scare me.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Feinberg] was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available. ... She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. ...
The only weakness I can think of is that they [Northwestern Medicine] only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though. ... nurses were incredibly responsive not only in person, but also on the patient portal. very attentive and compassionate as well. ... IUIs were about $1000 each including actual procedure, medications and blood work. Cost of single IVF is planned to be about $15,000
She was encourageing and empathetic to our situation and is always telling us not to quit. We had always left feeling reassured that no matter what course of action we take, we'll eventually get a positive result. Very considerate and was an expert on the topic.
Do as much research up-front and prepared with all of your questions when meeting with the doctor
She was very kind and considerate of our situation. She made sure that we felt as confertable as possible, answered any questions we had made herself available.
She started us out on timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUIs, followed by IVF- all cycles with Letrozole/Femara protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The only weakness I can think of is that they only perform a certain a ount of IVF's per month (quality control, I assume), which has put our "trying" on hold from December-March. Everything else at that facility is prety great though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Chicago

Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. ... Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. ... She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time ... She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with ... Dr Kim came in and powered through the consultation. It felt very scientific, blunt, and impersonal ...
Nice clinic [Northwestern Medicine] but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit ... [nursing staff] Nice and compassionate ... Very expensive. We were shocked by the consultation fee when we have excellent insurance
How was your experience with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Kim was nice but felt she didn’t take the time to get to know us on a personal level. She powered through results, never stopping to ask what we thought or felt comfortable with. She pushed IVF and wanted to get treatment started right after the consultation. It felt somewhat pushy and sales-like during a really hard time
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Kim knows seems to know her stuff. She did not show compassion and getting to know us as a couple and what treatment plans we felt comfortable with
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Helen Kim used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF with ICSI
Nice and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Nice clinic but will continue to research others in the area. Seemed more like a business where they pushed IVF heavily. Initial consultation appointment was very expensive. We decided not to go back as it didn’t feel like the right fit
Describe the costs associated with your care under Helen Kim at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Helen Kim
Chicago
Be very up front with what you want to be considered [with Dr. Jared Robins]. If you want full hormone panels regularly you will need to ask up front. If you want to look into complimentary efforts such as diet, acupuncture, supplements you'll need to enlist a separate provider for that...he is very warm, knowledgeable and personable. Over the 8 months of treatment I haven only met with Dr. Robins initially, and then again to proceed with IUI about 4 months in...Progesterone suppositories were advised right away, though no underlying need had been identified. Clomid was then prescribed but not much in the way of a heads up on how it would impact my cycle. The team that prepped in the week leading up to the IUI were extremely helpful. I did an IUI cycle without Clomid, just the trigger shot, as I'm wary of further messing with my cycle.
Be very up front with what you want to be considered [at Northwestern Medicine]. If you want full hormone panels regularly you will need to ask up front. If you want to look into complimentary efforts such as diet, acupuncture, supplements you'll need to enlist a separate provider for that... boasts strong result rates but the practice is so full that there isn't much individualized care...Progesterone suppositories were advised right away, though no underlying need had been identified. Clomid was then prescribed but not much in the way of a heads up on how it would impact my cycle. The team that prepped in the week leading up to the IUI were extremely helpful. I did an IUI cycle without Clomid, just the trigger shot, as I'm wary of further messing with my cycle.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I'm not sure whether portal care is the norm for infertility treatment. If it is not, then I would recommend another practice. Northwestern boasts strong result rates but the practice is so full that there isn't much individualized care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be very up front with what you want to be considered. If you want full hormone panels regularly you will need to ask up front. If you want to look into complimentary efforts such as diet, acupuncture, supplements you'll need to enlist a separate provider for that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The two visits I have had with Dr. Robins he is very warm, knowledgeable and personable. Over the 8 months of treatment I haven only met with Dr. Robins initially, and then again to proceed with IUI about 4 months in. The nursing team at Northwestern Fertility Specialists are helpful and personable but nearly all exchanges are through the online portal. The practice is extremely busy and full so there aren't many opportunities for in person visits, though great when they do happen, the majority of care and interaction happens through the patient portal.
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The practice is a well oiled machine. They get so many women in and out in a very efficient amount of time. The practice is well staffed, lots of rooms, always sure to process women in the early mornings very quickly for blood and ultrasounds - regularly in under 30 minutes.
Jared Robins
She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is wonderful and warm - she remembered us personally, our journey, and always kept our specific goals as the focus...We loved her. She is extremely skilled and communicates well. I got OHSS, and she was calm and handled it in a way that kept me from panicking. We had a wonderful experience, even though IVF was hard, and she was always available for a visit or call when I needed...Ask questions when you have them - she’ll answer them!...always felt warmly welcomed. Plus, they really run on time!...with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)
Claire [nurse at Northwestern Medicine] was so wonderful, reassuring, and enthusiastic. The entire nursing staff was fantastic (with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)...Melissa often didn’t seem to know what was going on and provided bad information that conflicted with what others said or conflicted with my chart relating to embryo freezing process, medications, and post-retrieval care...Organized, quiet, clean, friendly desk staff, easy scheduling, not a crazy waiting room, easy parking. The only downside of being treated in the suburbs is having to go into the city for weekend monitoring, which is a very different experience, and for retrievals themselves. But we lived our clinic and always felt warmly welcomed. Plus, they really run on time!
Ask questions when you have them - she’ll answer them!
She is wonderful and warm - she remembered us personally, our journey, and always kept our specific goals as the focus
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire!)
Claire was so wonderful, reassuring, and enthusiastic. The entire nursing staff was fantastic (with one exception: Melissa, a nurse practitioner who often spoke before thinking or being fully aware of a situation, which led to more than one stressful situation)
Insurance covered my care
Chicago

He [Dr. Jain] conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. ... Since we had already been trying to conceive for a year, had 5 months of clomid and one failed IUI without a positive pregnancy test he laid out a game plan to switch to letrozole for three months before discussing IVF.
This clinic [Northwestern Medicine] operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. We also have an IVF consultation scheduled for next month if needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Personable staff and pleasant communication
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.
Chicago

Doctor Jared was awesome I felt 100% comfortable with him and my treatment plans. He went over all my test results with me & my partner.he explain the treatment we would do like first I start on the clomid pill then do ultrasounds & blood draws to track my hormones. ... I felt like a human, he answered all my question & concerns ...
My nursing staff was amazing [at Northwestern Medicine], Claire the RN Nurse answered all my questions soon as possible. She explain & answered my questions about my treatment plan also testing had to do. ... They have amazing compassion towards their patients. I haven’t seen anything of their weakness. They are good on about patients treatments, & response very quickly about questions that the patients have.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and do retest on anything that doesn’t sound right.
I felt like a human, he answered all my question & concerns
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire )
My nursing staff was amazing, Claire the RN Nurse answered all my questions soon as possible. She explain & answered my questions about my treatment plan also testing had to do.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered everything except my medications & IUI procedure so we decided to do clomid with the injection with time intercourses
Jared Robins
Chicago

How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Pavone is a very professional women. She spent time with me during my consult and listened to me explain my history and gave my husband and I a plan. She was knowledgeable and polite but was not warm and fuzzy. I only met her once, so I can’t really say how my experience as her patient was since I only spent one hour of my 6 month treatment course with her. I would ask questions through my nurses to her and they would be the communicators of her information. Other than the initial visit, I never felt like my condition (PCOS) was explained to me. I didn’t know why I was ovulating each month, had normal labs, responded to the medication, but wasn’t getting pregnant. No one took the time to explain that to me and when I asked they’d say “the body just sometimes doesn’t take.” Which is fine, but why?! What happens to my eggs in particular? During my IUIs I asked for a change in the planned course of medication dosage and I got shut down. Meanwhile, midcycle, I wasn’t responding to my letrozole and they decided on cycle day 20 to increase my dose and restart the whole process (just like I had suggested on cycle day 1). I feel that if Dr. Pavone saw me in the office as she walked by, she wouldn’t even know if I was her patient. Again, I didn’t have an in-depth treatment course with her- I wasn’t to the point of IVF so maybe I just wasn’t a serious enough case to be seen by a doctor, but I just felt slightly ignored and neglected and I don’t think any patient would like to feel that way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be your own advocate and fight for yourself and your body. Ask for meetings and speak up with lots of questions. if your plan isn’t working, don’t just keep going along with it without knowing why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Pavone for my initial consultation. She performed an US and blood work, and diagnosed me with PCOS based on the results. She told me at our initial meeting that she treats PCOS with 3 rounds of medicated timed intercourse and 3 rounds of medicated IUI. I never saw her again to discuss why the process may not be working or even to change my medication dosage. I felt like it was just a standard “ok you have PCOS this is the plan” but not necessarily a plan for me and my body. Also, The office felt very sterile. When you came in for a morning appointment, women were corralled in the hallway waiting to check in- and a women behind a computer shouted “NEXT” and then when you approached the desk she just said “NAME.” Felt very “DMV”- like. Also, each time I came in for an US , the nurse or technician wouldn’t remember why I was there- even though it should be on my chart. They would say things like “is this an US before IVF?” When it would just be my mid cycle scan.
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
In regards to treatment strategies, Dr. Pavone, after diagnosing me with PCOS, decided that trialing three rounds of medicated timed intercourse followed by medicated IUIs would suite my diagnosis well. None of them were successful and we did not change the course for any of the cycles even though I asked to change medication dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: It was a primary nursing team- Anitra, Syrena, and a few others whom I didnt work with frequently.)
I really enjoyed having a primary nursing team, I felt that it helped narrow down the amount of people I was communicating with. They were very responsive to my emails and I talked to them 99% of the time over my Physician. Anitra was especially compassionate and I felt like she advocated for my care.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: they’re apart of a major hospital working on the forefront of medicine. The team of doctors and nurses are very intelligent and worked hard to get a job at the office. Labwork, US, retrieval’s, etc are all performed on location. The communication via MyChart is very easy to use and they respond to your questions within 24 hours. The office waiting room sometimes has snacks available for the patients. Weaknesses: overalll feeling of being “just a number”. Long wait times/ unorganized format for drawing bloodwork & US, unfriendly front desk staff, and felt like a very “sterile” environment. It was also very hard for me to get ahold of medical records that I needed when I transferred doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My care was 100% covered since my insurance it with the same hospital.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Non applicable.
At the end of our 6 IUI/medicated rounds, we decided we were unhappy overall with the care provided from northwestern and decided to switch facilities. When I contacted northwestern about obtaining results from certain procedures or labs, they gave me a hard time. Sent me to medical records who in turn said they didn’t have record of certain results and then I ultimately got sent back to the office and the nurse was able to email it to me. I was confused as to why she couldn’t do that for me in the first place instead of giving me the run around. This wasted time and created unnecessary stress on myself and my husband. Also, I needed a certain cycle to be submitted to insurance so that I could get my IVF covered. I left multiple messages with the northwestern care team asking them to submit the information to insurance and got no response for weeks. When I finally got a response, I was told my primary financial coordinator had left the practice “months ago.” While this is fine that someone leaves a job position, it is not fine that my messages were still being sent and taken but no one was responding. I don’t understand how you leave a job and don’t let your patients know who they should contact now that you’ve left. Not only was I unhappy with the care while I was there, but now they’re ruining my chances with my new clinic. I ended up going to medical records myself and making my own copies for my new facility.
Mary Ellen Pavone
Chicago

Eve [Feinberg] truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. ... I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through.
I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments. ... I felt the nurses were top notch and extremely knowledgeable. I communicated with them almost daily through the patient portal and their responses were always warm and timely.
Eve truly listened to my husband and I, validated our concerns, and made us feel like partners in the treatment plan versus merely patients. With five failed embryo transfers and three miscarriages under my belt, I was extremely apprehensive and nervous about starting over. Eve went through my records from my previous clinic thoroughly and found numerous errors they made in medication dosing, which she guessed was having an adverse affect on the quality of our embryos. She adjusted my medications and carefully monitored me during the stimulation cycle, and after a failed first cycle adjusted further. She called me herself to let me know that that first cycle would probably not result in pregnancy and I appreciated her honesty. She said we would do things differently the next cycle. She got it right. We were successful on our second round after a short three months of active treatment, versus a year and half at my previous clinic. The only regret I have in all of this is not going to her in the first place.
Ask questions and voice any concerns you have - she will listen to you. Call today because she books up months in advance!
Eve Feinberg was the third RE I saw during my two year battle with infertility. I felt that she made it her personal mission to get to the root of what was causing my recurrent miscarriages while my previous doctor chalked it up to "bad luck" and did not seem to empathize with what I was going through. She called me multiple times throughout my treatment and was always accessible via phone or email - much more than any other doctor I worked with during treatment. She also called me personally with positive pregnancy test results and was reassuring in my concerns of another miscarriage. Eve went through IVF herself, and I found her extremely relatable and sympathetic to the entire process. For those saying that they never saw her and worked mostly with the nurses, that is how all fertility clinics are set up, so you need to expect that no matter where you are being treated. Ultimately, she is the one overseeing your care and treating you, but only expect to see your actual doctor a few times during your treatment. That's pretty standard.
After three miscarriages, Eve suggested an estrogen priming cycle before my first egg retrieval with her to increase the number of egg-containing follicles. She also lowered my injectable medication doses after seeing that they wreaked havoc on my embryos at my previous clinic. In addition, she added in human growth hormone to improve egg quality. That cycle did not work, but we started the next cycle immediately following my period instead of waiting an entire month to start again (like my previous doctor did). She suspected the dosing she had me on was not enough. She then increased the doses on my injectables and kept the growth hormone protocol. I produced 10 eggs that round, which is the most I had ever had. She also put me on an immune protocol after my embryos were transferred to suppress my system in case it was attacking the pregnancies. She put me on prednisone, Pepcid AC, Claritin, and baby aspirin. It seemed to do the trick because I became pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Fertility clinics are all very similar, and it helps to know this going in. Yes, the monitoring appointments feel like a cattle call, and yes, sometimes you need to wait to be seen. This is par for the course. I can say that I came to NWF from a much larger clinic and their process for morning monitoring was much more organized and the staff was MUCH friendlier. A smile goes a long way when you are going through something as stressful as fertility treatments.
I don't know offhand but my insurance covers most of my treatment. Our costs were minimal compared to most people, and the most we paid besides medication costs was the fee to freeze and store our leftover embryos which is $1200.
I know Eve feels strongly that eSET is the way to go in younger patients, but with my history of repeated pregnancy loss she agreed that transferring two embryos would yield the best results (despite the risks that come with a multiple pregnancy). That being said, she really takes into account your personal situation to make decisions like that.
Chicago

For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians... [Dr. Feinberg] was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list... For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!!
Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid &lt;$800
Chicago

I like that she [Dr. Eve Feinberg] has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed...She knows her stuff, so you will be in good hands. However, be ready to be a Northwestern patient, in more ways than a Feinberg patient.
I interact mostly with the nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine]. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions...delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy...There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
I like that she has personal experience with IVF and is super knowledgeable. However, I've met with her in person only twice, before receiving any IVF treatment. I have only spoken with her on the telephone or emails since. I like that she is definitely open to changing protocols, but she doesn't always give me all the details so that I feel totally informed.
They see A LOT of patients. I don't always feel like I have personal care, but I always feel like I receive great care. I work more closely with the nurse staff for sure and haven't had much direct contact with my doctor herself at all.
Cycle 1: Microdose Lupron Flare - used based on my test results and miscarriage history alone. I turned out to be overstimulated by this protocol and we were all pleasantly surprised that they were able to retrieve 14 eggs, 5 of which became blastocysts. However, none tested as PGS normal, so we decided to cycle again, as my doctor believes it is a numbers game and we had a good chance to get a normal in the next round. Cycle 2: Antagonist - started low dose and increased slightly. I wanted to stim lower and slower, if at all possible after not feeling very good during the first cycle. She was open to this for sure. My AFC this round was significantly lower though, and we retrieved only 7 eggs, 3 of which became blastocysts and 1 tested as PGS normal. She suggested we try to get at least one more PGS normal embryo before attempting any transfers though. Cycle 3: Long Lupron - we changed it up again to see how I would respond. I was on highest doses and was a slow responder. We did retrieve 13 eggs, but only 1 grew to blastocyst and we are currently awaiting PGS testing results (and we will then decide to either attempt a frozen transfer or retrieve again).
I interact mostly with the nursing staff. They are super responsive via email and always willing to get answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Good location in downtown Chicago, connected to Northwestern Hospital, and linked to all Northwestern doctors/services where I see most of my other physicans. Their lab is new and top notch. They do not do "batch cycles" but rather let you start on your cycle. That means they are open 7 days a week and holidays for appointments and procedures. The only thing to be aware of is they run FRM similarly to the OB practice - you may not see your doctor on the day of your procedure but instead the doctor who is scheduled to do procedures on that day.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Usually it was fast and super easy. There were only about 2 or 3 times where I had a longer wait and the office was packed with women waiting. Those were few and far between.
Most have been covered by insurance so far. Before treatment for any new cycle, I do have to pay a lab deposit for biopsy, freezing and storage.
Nothing too serious, but just delays with the NW Pharmacy staff submitting my prescriptions. I had to stay on top of them almost as much as my prescription drug specialty pharmacy.
Chicago

Dr Feinberg is wonderful. She is so warm and caring with a great bedside manner. I feel like I really matter to her as a patient and she hears my concerns....I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5
it was very easy to get an appointment They [Northwestern Med] were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!...I was told that a specific diagnosis code would be used to bill my insurance. When the claims started coming through, they were all denied because the clinic used a different code than what they told me they were going to use.
Even though our first round of IVF with Dr Feinberg failed, we still trust her and the process and will not give up. We felt so well taken care of by her. She answers all my questions no matter how silly they may seem. When we talk to her, we feel as if she is more of a friend than a doctor.
She is determined to get you pregnant and will not give up!
I was happy that Dr Feinberg changed my protocol from my last retrieval with a different clinic. I was on less medications and in return I felt better physically and mentally. I also found it refreshing that she suggested a day 3 transfer instead of what I have done in the past, a day 5 and explained to us the reason she would transfer two instead of one. I liked how she mixed it up because we were afraid of doing the same thing as previous cycles and expecting different results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
Laura was very good about always getting back to me within an hour or two of me sending an email. She was very clear in her instructions and always follows through.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Unlike the other clinics I have been to, it was very easy to get an appointment They were very accommodating to my schedule. I always feel like I was walking into a spa instead of walking in to a doctor's office. It is so tranquil and peaceful. The front desk receptionists are wonderful, especially Laurel at the Highland Park office!
Compared to other clinics, the costs with Dr Feinberg were significantly lower. They really want to make it affordable to everyone as they know it doesn't always work on the first try and you might have to do more than one round. My insurance has an infertility max that had already been met, so we knew we were going to be self pay. We were pleasantly surprised that the financial advisor said our blood tests and ultrasounds would be covered, as well as some of the drugs, so we went with the lower priced package.
She said if it was her, she would transfer 2 but still gave us the choice to make on our own. We valued her advice and transferred two.
Chicago

The nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with...The biggest thing I wish I had known before I started with this clinic was that doctors aren't actual present for any cycle ultrasounds. All ultrasounds leading up to a transfer are done by staff. This was different from the level of care I had at my previous clinic and therefore was unexpected for me. Overall, Northwestern is fast and efficient, but I felt the staff as a whole could be a little friendlier. I had issues contacting the financial coordinators and getting my embryos transferred from my previous clinic.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
When we first went for our consultation with Dr. Bernardi, she seemed incredibly friendly and knowledgable and like she would be a good doctor to work with. When it was time to start our cycle though I didn't hear from her at all, working only with nurses. When I requested for her to call, she elected instead to send me a message a day later informing me she was going on maternity leave and good luck. So essentially, she did not tell me she was going on maternity leave until the last moment, when she certainly could have told me sooner and made alternative arrangements for my care. In addition, she could not take the time to speak with me over the phone and discuss certain procedures and answer my questions. It was very disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask a lot of questions and be persistent if you actually want to speak on the phone with her. Although ultimately I would recommend a different doctor at Northwestern.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I received no personalized care or consideration from Dr. Bernardi. I genuinely felt that my cycle did not matter to her.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We used oral estrogen tablets, injectable progesterone, and progesterone suppositories.
The nurses were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$5,000 for an embryo transfer, plus the cost of medication, plus copay expenses for workup appointments.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
When we had our initial consultation and I told her in our last cycle we had only done a single embryo, she asked why and thought we could do two embryos. That was the extent of her comments or explanation about the subject.
Chicago

She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
[Monitoring hours at Northwestern Medicine are] different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour...Our IUI self-pay package cost $709 Our IVF with PGD (FET) cost $12,000 + meds cost of ~$6000 + genetic testing with Natera $6400
She is really open and honest, explaining her thinking at each step. She has also been deeply caring when things have been difficult or unexpected. I have real trust that she knows what she’s doing and wants the best outcomes for us, not just for herself. She shares stories of other patients (anonymously of course!) in a way that helps us keep things in perspective
It is a long wait to get an appointment, but worth it! Also, she has 2 offices, downtown and Highland Park. The HP office is lower key - less crowded and more time with her.
She is kind, forthright, caring
We started with IUI since I had previously had a successful pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. I produced 1 follicle on clomid the first round and then she increased my dosage for another round, when I produced 2 follicles and became pregnant. Unfortunately genetic testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality and we had to terminate the pregnancy. Meanwhile we had also received information from our genetic screening that we are both carriers for a genetic disease. Dr Feinberg suggested changing course and we are currently doing IVF with ICSI and PGD. We did stimulation with 300 units of Gonal-F (increased to 375) and 75 units of Menopur (increased to 150), with Cetrotide and an Ovidrel trigger. This produced 13 follicles, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Dr Feinberg told us she will adjust if future cycles are necessary since these were not the results she had hoped for. She explained her choices were based on my previous ability to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Leah and Kelsey)
The nurses have been very responsive on my chart (online patient portal) and wonderful in person
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is fine, not great. There is some difficulty with communication between the two offices, though most patients just go to one. It can take a long time to get through to someone and get a call back since it is such a busy practice. For monitoring, waits are long.
This is different for Highland Park and downtown. Downtown is a lot of people waiting to be called, and I would expect to be there for at least an hour if not more. Highland Park is a set appointment time and moves very quickly - in and out in half an hour.
Dr Feinberg told us she does single embryo transfer and we are happy with this as we do not want multiples.
I tried to order meds from an online pharmacy to cut costs. It proved difficult to do this and I’m not sure if his is because it was not their in house pharmacy or on their list of suggestions, or if it was all on the pharmacy. I ended up spending more money to order through Northwestern for simplicity but the miscommunication caused a great deal of stress
Chicago

After my canceled cycle she [Dr. Christina Boots] made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far... I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures...I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer.
My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.
Chicago

She [Dr. Lia Bernardi] was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages....She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles....She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that...
Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.
We initially saw a different doctor at the clinic. When my husband's semen analysis results came back abnormal, the nurse communicated with us via MyChart message. I felt this was inappropriate considering the results were abnormal. I wrote back multiple times saying I want the doctor to call us, but apparently the doctor refused and said we need to come in for an appointment. Her schedule was full when I called, which was so stressful. Eventually she overbooked us and met with us. I had to pay a $50 copay for the visit when she could've just called. My husband and I were extremely worried about what these results meant, but during appointment she said his results were only "mildly abnormal" and not too worrisome. She could have spared us so much stress by just calling right away. We switched doctors after that.
Chicago

Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints!...is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.
Chicago
[Under Dr. Randall Barnes] I took 300 units of Folistim and 150 units of Menopur for 5 days, and then started a daily shot of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Day 10 I took my trigger shot and went in 36 hours later for my ET. 7 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized. I also thawed my 18 frozen eggs, 11 which fertilized. Overall, 15 eggs fertilzed and we are now waiting for our results on day 5 blastocyst stage, after which the remaining blastocysts will be biopsied and sent for PGD testing.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Northwestern Fertility Clinic is a large practice, which means you deal with lots of different people throughout the process, from multiple nurses, to schedulers, to financial advisors, to psychologists, to doctors who are on call the day of your procedures. It is not guaranteed your doctor will perform your retrievals or transfers. Overall, I had a positive experience with NFC, and with Dr. Barnes. I am in the midst of my treatments still, so I am not able to speak to my results yet... that is still to be determined! Also, in the midst of my treatment, and after several appointments with Dr. Barnes, I received a letter from Northwestern letting me know that he was retiring. So, in the midst of my treatments, I was left without a doctor and had to switch to a different doctor in the practice. My husband and I were surprised that this was never mentioned to us during multiple appointments with Barnes or with the nurses. It seemed like something they should tell us, so we could've started the process with a different doctor verses being caught off guard. This was my biggest critique of working with the NW Fertility clinic thus far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barnes is now retired from Northwestern Fertility Clinic.
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic itself feels well organized considering the volume of patients they serve. At times I felt like it was a cattle call with the other women who were coming in for their routine early morning blood work and ultrasound appointments, but that comes with the territory when your'e working with a large clinic. Most of the time they got me in and out within 30 minutes for my morning appointments. Additionally, the clinic itself is a beautiful space, and the views overlooking lake michigan with soft music playing definitely make the experience more pleasant.
Morning appointments were an open window from 6:45-7:45am. Some mornings the wait was longer than others. My shortest appointment time was around 20 minutes, and my longest was 45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Luckily my insurance covers this process.
Describe Randall Barnes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor strongly steered us toward eSET, although I had my heart set on transferring 2 embryos. He explained that due to complications from multiples, the best practice now is to recommend an eSET.
The two things that went wrong were: - No one told us that Dr. Barnes was retiring, and we ended up starting the process with him, only to be informed by letter that he was retiring. So, for part of my process I had no assigned physician. - I received information from one nurse that I couldn't start my IVF cycle because our PGD test wasn't ready. After reaching out to try to get in touch with my regular nurse and telling her we wanted to get started anyways, our regular nurse let us know that we could in fact get started. So there was around a 2 day window of a lot of dissapointment when we heard back from the first nurse that we couldn't get started, when in fact we could.
Randall Barnes
2014 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer.... Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery.
With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her [Dr. Feinberg] and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.... we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate... She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out.
Her care and drive is evident in everything she does and touches. She isn’t just a doctor, she is our angel and our hero for so many reason. When we learned of my health issues she personally looked into every option to potentially save my fertility, from preserving my ovary tissue, to trying IVF before my surgery, to talking to my oncologist on my fertility options before and after surgery. She’s stood by our side through all the ups and downs, and instilled hope every time we felt we were down and out. This has been the hardest journey of our lives. We’re lucky to have crossed paths so many years ago.
Have faith, because she believes in you and your dreams wholeheartedly.
Dr. Feinberg saved my life. If we weren’t going through the process of trying to conceive, Dr. Feinberg never would have found the cancer. Once we realized my health was in jeopardy, we were scared, lost and helpless. We didn’t know which way to turn - we went from trying to create a life to saving my own. She put us in contact with NorthShore and oversaw the process until I was diagnosed and placed with the right oncologist. She’s been with us every step of the way and hasn’t given up on the original reason our paths crossed years ago, to help us become the parents we’ve been fighting so hard to become.
I had a hysteroscopy and 1 cycle of IUI before they found the cancer. Since then, we tested known egg downer my sister and my cousin. My cousin was the match. We created 5 embryos and are now at beginning stages of surrogacy with a known surrogate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Under FCI, I was more in touch with Dr Feinberg. With NorthWestern, I’m less in touch with her and more with her team. Which is ok, but I’d rather be in contact with her more. Facilities are amazing and well run.
Ranges due to insurance
N/a - not there yet
Chicago

Dr Eve [Feinberg] takes time out to explain all the details and customizes the treatment plan according to your body.... You need to go in with your own set of questions but she does not rush the appointment and will make sure to answer every question. She has good bedside manners. I felt confident about her treatment and protocol.... I did a low dose ivf stimulation cycle and retrieved 21 eggs. Both my fet’s resulted in a pregnancy though the first one ended in a miscarriage.
Northwestern medicine is a great clinic. They have a downtown location as well as one in highland park. They have easy scheduling. I almost always went to the highland park location. There are hardly any wait times. The facility is clean and the staff is super friendly.... The staff at northwestern medicine is absolutely lovely. They are caring and compassionate. They make the experience truly less painful.
Do your own research and go in with a list of questions.
Dr Eve takes time out to explain all the details and customizes the treatment plan according to your body.
Since I was diagnosed as unexplained, I was given the option to wait and watch or start my treatment right away and I decided with the latter. We did 3 iui’s Before moving on to ivf. The iuis did not result in a positive test. Then I did a low dose ivf stimulation cycle and retrieved 21 eggs. Both my fet’s resulted in a pregnancy though the first one ended in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My doc did not recommend putting in more than one embryo as I was young and had a good chance of success. That eSet worked for both my transfers.
Eve Feinberg

We tried several different strategies over the course of our treatment. I felt like Dr. Feinberg did a good job of adjusting the strategy to our situation over time. ... Dr. Feinberg did a very good job explaining everything as we went through the process. She was great at being available for in-person consultations or phone calls when things weren't going well, and took the time to make sure all our questions were answered.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated. ... Monitoring occurred in the very early morning ... I loved our primary nurse, Kelsey. She was SO quick to respond and available, and was an excellent point person for our care.
Trust her, she knows what she's doing. :)
I think Dr. Feinberg did a good job of being present emotionally when the situation called for it. The clinic is very efficiently run, which may make some feel like they are being treated like a number, but I really appreciated the efficiency.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is definitely a structured bureaucracy, so in the beginning, I had to do some strong advocating for myself in order to get on the schedules as needed. But overall, the clinic is run very efficiently and on time, which I always appreciated.
Monitoring occurred in the very early morning, which was tough on me, but they were very efficient and well-run.
I was lucky, my costs were covered by my husband's insurance.
Dr. Feinberg had some opinions to offer on this topic, but in our case was very open to what we wanted, which was single embryo transfers.
Chicago

I only met the dr [Dr. Christina Boots] once or twice witch is normal but I never felt like she was hands on with my care. She also did not call after to discuss my results I had to be proactive with the appointment. It’s hard to rate the dr when we had little contact and poor results...You have to be proactive in your own care. Do not expect hand holding...Agnostic protocol. Gonal F ansmenopure.
Strength [at Northwestern Medicine]- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff...one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
I only met the dr once or twice witch is normal but I never felt like she was hands on with my care. She also did not call after to discuss my results I had to be proactive with the appointment. It’s hard to rate the dr when we had little contact and poor results.
You have to be proactive in your own care. Do not expect hand holding.
Northwestern has one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
Agnostic protocol. Gonal F ansmenopure.
The worst part of Northwestern is the nurses. No continuity of care, a different nurse will call every day and she won’t know your background so it’s constantly starting over. Post op care nurse was so rude I couldn’t wait to leave post retrieval.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff.
Cattle call. They won’t give you results until they call late in the day. Other clinics will tell you while you are on the table.
Insurance paid for most appointments.
We did not transfer the embryo. We froze it for future use.
Chicago
He [Dr. Jain] was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion...I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one... I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well...It felt very personal, like family...[Nursing staff] Great experience took there time with me very understanding and showed concerns, answered questions quickly all around just nice...he [Dr. Jain] send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
He was great he draws pictures to make sure you understand, he send you MyChart messages, 24 hour turnaround time for questions most times it was within hours, he listened to concerns, he’s opened for discussion. Just all around nice practice
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
This is a long process and you have to be mentally prepared
It felt very personal, like family
I didn’t have a baseline, so he started me off with gonal f 300, then I wasn’t moving like he wanted so he increased my med to 450, I was only able to produce 3 follicles, after a couple of days with those 3 he told me to start ganirelix the follicles grew but not big enough so I decided to end the cycle and start another one, I feel confident this time because Dr have a baseline to work with
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was nice open early each and every time, nice friendly faces and staff showed concerns as well they knew your name, they always was willing to help out with questions or concerns anything they would go out there way, they have a coffee and tea area as well
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered everything OOP less then 5k
Chicago

I had to go through two Ivf cycles [with Dr. Feinberg], both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app. Maybe if I have had to see her more often, I would've been more confident. Anyway, she treated me with compassion. She is a good doctor, knowing what she has to do. And I would recommend her to my friends.
NW is probably the biggest hospital/ clinic in Chicago area, and all the staff is high level. Every time I've been there during the last year, I received good and warm experience. The staff was always nice, and all the procedures I've undergone were delicate and less stressful...I had to go through two Ivf cycles [with Dr. Feinberg], both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app.
I chose dr. Feinberg because of a friend who rescued to have two successful pregnancies with IVF treatment. I had to go through two Ivf cycles, both unsuccessful ( because of mine and my husband's complicated fertility issues). I don't know if she did her best. Most of the times, our only way of communication was through an app. Maybe if I have had to see her more often, I would've been more confident. Anyway, she treated me with compassion. She is a good doctor, knowing what she has to do. And I would recommend her to my friends.
Ask as many questions as you need. Get all the tests done.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My healt insurance covered the expenses

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else...Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.
Ralph Kazer