7.1

Oakbrook Terrace
2 Trans Am Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

While I like Dr. Kazer, there are many physicians at this practice, and so decisions regarding my treatment plan have not always been made by him. I'm not confident that they reviewed my chart prior to making their recommendations...Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it...He has a dry sense of humor...Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has a dry sense of humor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far we are doing medicated IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff here is terrible. They are cold and frankly, don't seem particularly knowledgable. On multiple occasions, I've received incorrect information from them. Furthermore, I understand that people are allowed to get pregnant, but I think it's particularly insensitive to have a pregnant nurse interacting with infertility patients.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I've been really disappointed in this clinic overall. Everything feels disorganized. I've had issues with the check-in desk, the financial coordinators have provided incorrect information, and I don't find the nursing staff warm or knowledgable. Many times, the ultrasound techs don't even introduce themselves. Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary. I don't need someone to tell me this is going to be a stressful experience. Based upon my experiences, I don't think I will continue to seek treatment here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IUI's are $585 Parking is $11 Psych Consult was $375 HSG was $1092 Each ultrasound is $286 Each day of labs are $$251
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
unknown
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They booked me for an egg freezing procedure on the day I was there for my HSG. My financial counselor never called
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.

2015 - 2017, Successful
[Dr. Jared Robins was] willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available...we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test...he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility.
monitoring [at Northwestern Medicine] was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call... we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
How was your experience with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I felt like Dr. Robins was accessible, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. he answered all our questions and never made us feel like they were stupid questions. he was genuinely excited for our success when it occurred and did all our post-implantation ultrasounds before we graduated to the regular OB. shared data in frank, accessible ways and made me feel confident that his goal was the same as ours. When asked about things like acupuncture, he said "look, we want you to get pregnant as soon as possible. if there was any evidence that anything improves those odds, we'd make (strongly advise, provide in the clinic) you do it - of course because we want you to be successful, but also because our success as a practice relies on our success rates, so we're going to do whatever it takes for our own self-interest as well." that made me feel really confident that he was being open and honest with us, as well as knowing that we were both invested in our success. It's great for a doctor to want you to be happy, but I liked knowing that he felt like he had a professional stake in it as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
don't be afraid to ask all your questions - he'll give you the research behind why he's choosing a certain protocol
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jared Robins at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
willing to answer all questions, encouraged me to call his cell phone if he wasn't available. was very thoughtful and careful during transfer. laughed at my jokes :)
Describe the protocols Jared Robins used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I was 34 at the time and we had male factor, with no indications/diagnosis that I should have any trouble. we did 5 total IUIs, 3 unmedicated and 2 on clomid. I wish he'd recommended just going to IVF earlier. none resulted in a positive pregnancy test. for the retrieval cycle, he used a long lupron protocol, which is his standard for a presumably healthy woman under 35. I used lupron, menopur, and follistim, at lower doses than a friend of mine who had diminished ovarian reserve but was also on the long lupron protocol. he did ICSI for the embryos, because of the low sperm count and motility. 13 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 5 embryos (grade 1, which was the best) fresh transfer of a single embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test frozen transfer of a single embryo (after sitting out a cycle to get my estrogen down) resulted in a live birth.
monitoring was between 7-8:30. you were given a timeslot, but then were called to phlebotomy and ultrasound probably in the order of arrival, but not everyone arrived at once. weekends were more of a cattle call
Describe Jared Robins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to my age and the quality of our embryos, since multiple pregnancies are riskier for both mom and babies. he told me "statistically, the embryos you have are going to be the number of babies they are going to be. if you transfer them in multiples vs single, it just speeds up the answer, but doesn't change it"
Jared Robins

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success...Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] out of pocket (roughly $18,000)...Northwestern has great facilities both in the city and in Highland Park. Only Dr. Feinberg sees patients in Highland Park, so the office is pretty quiet, which is nice. The downtown office is busier and a few of the blood draw and ultrasound techs are not friendly, and a little friendliness goes a long way when you are getting poked in the arm and during a transvaginal ultrasound...I got to know Laura [nurse] after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg is an excellent fertility doctor, and has gone through IVF herself, so she has a strong understanding of the process herself. I felt that her recommendations for treatment made sense and were realistic. After a few attempts at IVF and IUI, she recommended using donor eggs, which is the option we are currently pursuing. She let us take our time to get there, and was clear that this was absolutely our decision. She was patient with us as we got other opinions and wasn't pushy until we got to the place where we felt that we had exhausted all other options and were ready to move to donor egg. Dr. Feinberg reviews all donors and emphasized that she is picky about choosing a donor, so we have the best chance for success. I know Dr. Feinberg also works with women who want to freeze their eggs, and I've referred a few friends to her who are interested in this option. I've sought complementary treatment from many other professionals (acupuncturists, chiropractors, massage therapists, therapists) and all of them consistently say that Dr. Feinberg is the best. I'm hopeful that we will have success with donor eggs in the next few months with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg books up far in advance, so I recommend making a follow up appointment around when you know your next cycle will end, so you can meet with her to discuss a plan if pregnancy does not occur.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
My husband and I had periodic appointments with Dr. Feinberg at Northwestern at various points in treatment. We felt that she provided thorough information (and I ask a lot of questions) and spent good time with us. Her nurse that we worked with (Laura) was good about follow-through. I felt that our treatment plan was customized to us and not just a one-size-fits-all approach.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did protocols for diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), using estrogen pill or patch priming and then microdose lupron. She gave me the highest dose of Menopur and Follistim, but I only produced a few eggs at 2 retrievals. We tried for a third round of IVF, but I wasn't responding, so we converted to IUI. Dr. Feinberg made it clear that IVF/IUI are not necessarily the best treatment for DOR, and trying on our own was a fine option and that treatment may not be help. I appreciated this perspective.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura Weppler)
I got to know Laura after working with her for about a year. She was protective of Dr. Feinberg and if I had a question that Laura couldn't answer I would ask her to ask Dr. Feinberg. Sometimes I got an answer from the doctor, sometimes Laura said we had to make an appointment with the doctor, which was frustrating. I felt that she was on top of everything and didn't make any mistakes with my meds/appointments/instructions, which made me feel confident.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
In 2016, we did an IVF cycle out of pocket (roughly $18,000), In 2017 our round of IVF and a few IUIs were covered by insurance- thank god! It's ridiculously expensive.
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For our first transfer, we only had one egg to transfer. For the second transfer, we had 2 and we transferred both. Looking back, I think we should have frozen them and transferred one at a time in following months after my body had calmed down a bit. I was ok with possibly having twins, but with the perspective I have now, transferring one at a time is best for the baby and the mother. Dr. Feinberg has written about this here: http://garnetnews.com/2017/03/12/twins-not-necessarily-double-blessing/

2016 - 2017, 15 Eggs Frozen
I felt that Dr. Feinberg was interested in getting to know me as a person and in understanding what my goals were in the process...I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success... I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients... I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book...Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal.
I went through two rounds of egg freezing (for "social reasons") and worked with Dr. Feinberg for both - the first was disappointing and the second a success. There is more below but I would heartily recommend Dr. Feinberg to others; she is a fine physician who is kind, thoughtful, and truly cares about her patients. The first round I felt like a cog in the wheel of the clinic (which has more to do with the clinic than Dr. Feinberg) and didn't feel I understood how things were progressing until the retrieval when I was informed that I only had a handful of possible eggs to retrieve (this conversation happened to be with the MD on rotation/doing procedures that day). While the nurse had been in touch with me after each of my morning blood draws/ultrasounds, I wasn't informed of the details of my progress (but also didn't know what I should be asking). I learned that I certainly needed to be far more well-informed, a stronger advocate for myself and, in response, brought these concerns to Dr. Feinberg in our follow-up meeting. She was kind, human, thoughtful, and generous in response. She heard me out and owned that things should not have transpired as they did - while they cannot guarantee any specific outcome, they can keep patients informed along the way so that patients can make informed decisions about their care. In response, Dr. Feinberg went to bat for me and the hospital subsidized a second round. I chose to work with Dr. Feinberg again and had a very good experience. Communication was fluid and consistent, the med regimen was tweaked, and the results were much improved. I was lucky to have Dr. Feinberg on rotation the day of my retrieval and we were able to celebrate a happy ending to a tough journey. She is lovely!
I think this may have more to do with the clinic set-up than Dr. Feinberg but do your homework and be the polite albeit squeaky wheel so that you get the grease. While Dr. Feinberg is excellent at explaining things in plain english, the clinic is set up in a way that directs your communication towards the nursing staff rather than the physician. I had Dr. Feinberg's email and knew I could get in touch with her as needed but didn't know enough about what information was important the first time around to do so.
Every individual I worked with at the clinic was excellent but they have such a high number of patients that the process feels somewhat impersonal. I don't think there are other local options that don't run into this issue so I wouldn't recommend making a decision based upon it.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, high-tech, comfortable, and the staff are friendly and kind. It's factory of sorts but that comes with the territory/high patient numbers. The people that work there seem content and happy to be at work which goes a long way in my book.
Due to freezing eggs for "social reasons," this was fully out of pocket for me. The most useful people in terms of saving money were the Walgreens as well and in-house Northwestern pharmacists.
Chicago

I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.
Chicago

I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses [Northwestern Medicine].
However, my main reason for not returning [to Northwestern] is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses.
Advocate for yourself. If the protocol doesn't work the first or second time, ask her (or the nurses) to switch it up.
The only time you see the doctor is at the initial consult. Other than that, you are one of hundreds of patients that rotate through for cyclework.
Femara 5mg and Ovidrel trigger shot. Femara is supposed to be better than clomid especially with PCOS. Since I don't ovulate on my own, the trigger shot was there to ensure I did - if it did it's job. I unfortunately don't know if it worked because we never checked my levels after doing the trigger. After 6 cycles of timed intercourse, an IUI was ordered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was great. Always responded within hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a herding facility. Get in, get out, get paid. Most of the workers were very nice. However, my main reason for not returning is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
280 per ultrasound 1200 for IUI
IUI mix up - see previous section
Chicago

After several months of inconclusive testing, she [Dr. Pavone] suggested IUI...I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses...After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
The nurses and US techs [at Northwestern Medicine] are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only
This review covers my experience with NW RE and Fertility Division from May 2017 -- Dec. 2017. It has taken me over a year to come to terms with my experience and feel comfortable sharing it as a warning for others. We first met with Dr. Pavone in May after two years of TTC; she was great and mild mannered but straight forward. She required months worth of tests before she would make a recommendation on any treatment moving forward. After several months of inconclusive testing, she suggested IUI. We started IUI in Sept. I never met with or heard from Dr. Pavone again. From there on out, I was passed from Nurse to ultra sound tech. The US techs are only available for a short period on weekday and weekend mornings (about 1.5 hours). There is no other time to be seen unless you raise a stink -- which by my third IUI, I was having to do. The nurses and US techs are all very angry and unhappy -- likely because overall the practice treats patients much like a fast food restaurant treats its patrons. My experience was already a poor one, and having nurses perform IUIs was starting to solidify my doubt in the practice. With no word from any doctor, I begrudgingly scheduled my third IUI and let the nurse performing the task know that I had had a difficult and painful experience with the first two. An IUI should take about 10 mins but after 40 mins of the nurse trying without success, she asked a doctor to come in and try. A man I had never met came in and roughly attempted to complete the IUI for another 30 mins, growing increasingly frustrated as I writhed in pain. It took so long that my husband had to leave to go back to work; the nurse had to hold my hand and try to calm me due to the pain. Finally, without discussing anything with me, the man opened a drawer, pulled out a pair of what looked like long scissors, and used them to hold/pry/clip open my cervix in order to fit the IUI inside. I bled for several days after this experience. After two months with no period, negative pregnancy tests and terrible, debilitating symptoms, I sought the help of my OBGYN who shared that I had severe damage to my cervix such that I was no longer able to have a period without a surgery. Meanwhile, I called the practice to meet with my doctor and discuss what had happened -- only to learn that Dr. Pavone had had a baby and was out on maternity leave. No one had ever told me she was pregnant and worse -- I had not seen her in so long that it hadn't been obvious that she was pregnant at all. The practice never bothered to follow up with a backup plan for a new doctor in her place. To say that this was a terrible and traumatizing experience is just scraping what I went through. And I would still be leaving a one star review even if the male doctor had not damaged my cervix so badly. Overall, there are way better practices that you can go to outside of Northwestern that will treat you like a human and not a number, that will respect you as a woman with rights to her body, and who will look after your individual case. Good luck to you in your fertility journey.
Please find another doctor and another practice. You are wasting your precious money, time and efforts here.
I only met with Dr. Pavone once. After my second failed IUI, something that was traumatic and ended with physical damage resulting in a needed surgery, I called the office to learn that Dr. Pavone was out on maternity leave. It had been so long since I had met or even seen her, I had no idea that she was pregnant. No one informed me and there was no back-up doctor identified. The office never followed up to give me a new doctor -- I was not even a number to them.
Dr. Pavone required lots of testing, all of which were normal so I was determined to be unexplained fertility. She required 3 IUIs before she would do IVF. She did not perform the IUI, did not review anything after my bloodwork. In fact after she set the initial plan, I never heard from her again and was left in the hands of a bunch of angry and frustrated nurses.
There are so many nurses that it varied. However the Ultra Sound techs were horrible. I had one nurse that was so horrified by my IUI experience that she held my hand while I cried and wrote a letter to my doctor to share how bad my experience was. I did not get a response from my doctor.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The benefit is sitting under Northwestern medicine and sharing MyChart but that is where the pros end. This place is constantly FULL to the brim with hopeful parents-to-be. There is no sitting room. You are less than a number here, you are a drive-through customer. The receptionists are organized and thoughtful. The nursing staff are miserable. Limited windows for critical things like US, bloodwork, long long wait times.
Insurance covered
I had a male doctor who was not part of my care plan physically tear my cervix with scissors to perform an IUI without my consent. As a result, I had to have surgery and have a damaged cervix as a result. This damage has impacted IVF (successful with another practice) and natural birth.

2017, Consult
Overall, the [Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] clinic is very clean and modern in look and feel. The clinic's doctors span the range of personalities - with some having very good bedside manners and others who are more direct/blunt. All of my doctors were affiliated with Northwestern (primary care, obgyn, fertility, etc.) so all of my scheduled tests and appointments were listed together in the system. I missed an IUI cycle (month) because a nurse at this facility conducted the wrong type of blood draw. It was a careless mistake that cost me a month in my pursuit of conception.
Dr. Kazer told my on two occasions that given my age (41), that having a child would be a long shot. He advised against IUI in favor of going straight to IVF given my age and "average fertility". To me, it seemed that he was concerned with his "hit rate" or number of successful pregnancies and that he wasn't that interested in facilitating a "geriatric" pregnancy. He was too blunt, and his bedside manner was off-putting. I requested a new doctor, started IUI and got pregnant on the very first try despite Dr. Kazer's misguided prognostication. If you are looking for someone who is uber direct and blunt, Dr. Kazer may be the doctor for you. He was not for me.
Be prepared to leave discouraged if you are an older patient
Not applicable
I cannot recall
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Overall, the clinic is very clean and modern in look and feel. The clinic's doctors span the range of personalities - with some having very good bedside manners and others who are more direct/blunt. All of my doctors were affiliated with Northwestern (primary care, obgyn, fertility, etc.) so all of my scheduled tests and appointments were listed together in the system. I missed an IUI cycle (month) because a nurse at this facility conducted the wrong type of blood draw. It was a careless mistake that cost me a month in my pursuit of conception.
2017, Unknown Success
She is a wonderful dr. Being that she also has gone though infertility she can related to her patients. She is a good listener and always has a plan of how to move forward. She treated me on the spot for one of my apts. that was not even scheduled.... Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding.
The nursing staff [at Northwestern Medicine] is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!... Amazing facility! Super clean and the technology is all up to date! There is never more than 3 people in the waiting room, you truly feel like a patient and not just a number here!
Ask her anything and she will have an answer or get you one, she's great!
Eve sat with my husband and I at the table and took her time. She has wonderful bedside manner and her team of nurses are outstanding. The office she works at has state of the art equipment. I never have felt rushed or confused working with her, she made a plan and I am currently under treatment!
I had been treated at a different dr for over a year and was not getting any results that were helpful. Dr. Fineburg was positive that she could get more then 8 /9 eggs retrieved (at my prior dr office in which only 4 out of both cycles made it and none resulted in pregnancy) and she did! I got 22 in which 8 made it. I did a fresh transfer and still was not pregnant. I am currently waiting on my ERA results to see if my implanting window needs to be adjusted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Laura W.)
The nursing staff is AMAZING and so caring! They have an email portal and get back to you right away. Communication among the nurses is very important and they are truly wonderful!
$900 for ERA $1,500 for hystroscope $1,600 for retrieval
This is a conversation we had together and Dr. Fineburg listen and ultimately let my husband and I choose.
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators [at Northwestern]. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding...The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform.
How was your experience with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I originally sought out Dr. Milad because of his experience in gynecological surgery, specifically fibroids. It was through this experience that we learned of our infertility issues. He did extensive diagnostic testing and then met with my husband and me to go over all of the results and explain their implications and our options. We always felt that we were in the driver's seat. Dr. Milad recommended we do IVF right away, but we weren't ready so we pursued IUI's and chlomid. Dr. Milad did an amazing job on my open myomectomy when I finally had to have one, and then oversaw every cycle of IVF. Before each cycle and after we would discuss what went well and what we thought should be changed. He entertained my many questions, and personally responded to my messages. When we thought we may be having immunological issues, Dr. Milad laid out the scientific evidence on treatment options - including nonconventional options that had some scientific support (the endometrial scratch, acupuncture, baby aspirin, etc.) After our miscarriage, Dr. Milad met with us to not only discuss options, but console us. My husband and I trust him implicitly, and really feel as if he cares about us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Patients that desire significant information on the treatment plans and options would be an excellent fit for Dr. Milad. if you need gynecological surgery - he is the best in the midwest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Milad has been our partner through a multi-year infertility struggle. He clearly explains test results and his recommendations. He lays out options in a way that is easy to understand and explains the science/evidence around risks and opportunities with treatment choices. Dr. Milad is kind, compassionate, and patient. He was very responsive to my many, many questions and was willing to think outside of the box when we got into later stages of IVF.
Describe the protocols Magdy Milad used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF #1 - 300 gonal f/150 menopur - 7 retrieved/6 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 7-cell 3-day embies - BFN, none to freeze IVF #2 - 225 gonal f/150 menopur - 20 retrieved/11 mature/10 fertilized with ICSI/transferred two 10-cell embies on day 3 - froze 5 blasts, M/C FET #1 - transferred one 5-day blast - BFN FET #2 - had scratch done, baby aspirin - transferred two 5-day blasts - BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Anitra and Amy)
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing coordinators. When I first entered the program, and I didn't understand the process as well, communications did seem abrupt. But over the months we've worked together, they are outstanding. I receive blood work results and treatment steps in a timely fashion on scan/appointment days. At anytime I can send questions to the nursing team and they respond usually same-day, if not the next day. They are compassionate and kind. They know our case well, and express genuine concern for how things are going.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a newer IVF program, with a state-of-the-art lab. The office location is convenient for downtown Chicago, and is open 7 days a week. The doctors rotate, meaning that your doctor will not always be reviewing your case and adjusting your protocol. Different doctors will do your retrievals and transfers, but the main POC for big treatment decisions will be done by your doctor and your doctor is always available throughout to respond to questions via their online platform. All the doctors were fine except for Dr. Pavone, who was terrible. The latest fertility stats are from 2015, and Northwestern is ranked #7 in the Chicago-land area with 38% of all fresh transfers resulting in a live birth. the numbers apparently drastically improved in 2016 because of the lab, but of course that's something to consider. Scheduling is easy, wait times are minimal, and nurses and doctors are accessible.
Scans are done in the morning between 630-800am. I found them efficient. The techs are professional and friendly. They aren't suppose to discuss the results, but mine always indicated whether things looked good or if there was an area for concern. If I wanted, instead of waiting for a callback later that day, a nurse would see me immediately after and go over the scan and talk about potential changes to treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Magdy Milad at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
For two fresh cycles, and two frozen embryo transfers, we've probably spent $2K with our insurance, including $1K for the cost of freezing embryos. There is a financial counselor at the office that walks through all coverage points and prices.
Describe Magdy Milad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Milad recommended two, 3-day embryos transferred and advised of trade-offs. He recommended one, 5-day embryo transfer because of his concern around the risks of carrying multiples. It was only after two failed fresh transfers and one failed frozen transfer that her recommended transferring two 5-day embryos.
Magdy Milad
Chicago
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim [with Dr. Eve Feinberg] . We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal...She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question...This clinic is extremely efficient. I really like how they run early morning monitoring because you are not given an appointment. So if you know that you need to get in and out quickly, you just show up 15 minutes before it opens and you are in and out. The staff is so courteous and friendly. The clinic is brand new, clean and beautiful. I have heard that the lab is EVERYTHING and can greatly impact your chance of success. NU is a brand new state of the art lab. I liked that I didn't need to get on the clinic's schedule, they got on my schedule. This is not the case at all clinics--some require you to get on their schedule. However, the flip side to that is that my egg retrievals and HSG were not done by my physician. While, I trusted the capabilities of the other physicians, their bedside manner wasn't as wonderful as Dr. Feinberg. I was able to time my transfer to be performed by Dr. Feinberg. Despite this one downside of NU, I would still highly recommend it over other clinics and doctors we interviewed.
Dr. Feinberg has a wonderful bedside manor. She is the perfect combination of being realistic while staying upbeat and encouraging. She was always available to take our calls when we had questions or wanted to discuss next steps in more detail. She never rushed our conversations. She handled very well mine and my husband's tendencies to need to know all the technical details regarding my treatment and to discuss studies and research that we had done on our own that might have conflicted with her suggestions. I was very confident in her abilities.
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
The whole practice at NU treated me warmly. From the receptionist and phlebotomist to the nurses and Dr. Feinberg, everyone knew my name and treated me kindly. I cannot say enough good things about this practice.
I did two stimulation rounds with menapur and folistim. We froze all resulting 5 day embryos and did PGS testing. The first stimulation round only resulted in 1 mature egg that was not genetically normal. The second stimulation round resulted in 17 mature eggs, 9 of which fertilized, 8 of which made it to day 5 and 5 of which were genetically normal.
Kelsey is amazing. I could not say enough good things about her if I wrote 10 pages of reviews. The NU clinic utilizes MyChart which has secure email functionality. I found this so helpful. I never played phone tag with the nurses and I always heard back within an hour (or much less) with a detailed email answering all of my questions. It made a scary process a lot less intimidating. Kelsey is so upbeat and knowledgable. I trusted all of the information she gave me without question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient. If you go 15 min before the monitoring window, you will be out by 7:20 am. It may take longer if you get there after 7:15 am. It also takes longer if you need to speak to a nurse following your monitoring.
My insurance covered most of the standard IUI and IVF drugs and procedures. However, we paid for egg freezing and PGS testing. I don't recall the amounts.
Not really applicable to us because we did PGS testing and only considered eSET.
Chicago
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.
2013 - 2017, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Barnes] was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us...we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages...I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive.
I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics [at Northwestern Medicine]...The window of [monitoring] hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call...The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare...it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage.
How was your experience with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He was very patient, took time to explain and to sit with us as we processed information he gave us - which we very much appreciated. He was "fatherly" - not a chatter bug, so sometimes communication was overly "clinical" instead of "warm" - but a consummate professional. He made you feel like you were in good hands, which was reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He won't be "warm", but you will feel safe with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I always enjoyed Dr. Barnes "fatherly" manner. Although I sometimes wished he would be more firm in the direction of treatment, but I always trusted that he would effectively communicate with us if we were deciding to try something he didn't believe would be productive. I also appreciated that he treated my wife and I with the utmost care, concern and legitimacy - in other words, he never made us feel like we were "odd" for being a same-sex couple trying to get pregnant and when we switched to trying with my wife's eggs - he was on board!
Describe the protocols Randall Barnes used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My wife and I had tried "at home" for 6 months "turkey baster method" - then we tried IUI's for 6 months, with my eggs. Then we tried 4 IVF cycles with my eggs. Then we tried 3 IVF cycles with my wife's eggs - which resulted in two pregnancies, but two miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elena )
Northwestern's staff has been INCREDIBLE! They are all very attentive and treat patients like family - particularly Trish at the front desk, who is a dream to deal with at all times! Dr. Angela Lawson has also been a god send! She particularly championed us with the insurance/billing department which made a royal mess out of a same sex female couple - it was as if we were the first lesbian couple to EVER use their fertility treatment - that part was EXTREMELY frustrating.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The insurance and billing coordination has been a nightmare. Again, it was as if the clinic had never before dealt with two women partners - they couldn't figure out how to bill, who to bill - and we were in the best case scenario - meaning both of us had wonderful, expansive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage PPO coverage. Everyone else we would recommend a million times over as being wonderful!
The window of hours was "do-able". It didn't feel like a cattle call - but certainly it was noticeable that a lot of women were having fertility issues - which I found depressing (but I'm sure, some people must find that comforting to know they are not alone). I very much appreciated when they separated the fertility dept. from the obstetrics - talk about depressing, seeing pregnant women, or women pregnant and with kids - as you struggle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Barnes at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I have no independent recollection of how much any procedure cost. We were fortunate enough to have wonderful insurance coverage through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. We had primary and secondary coverage for most of the treatment time.
Chicago
She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Just to go to her in the first place!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.
Christina E. Boots
2015 - 2017, Successful
I have had great experiences with Dr Robins. He is both blunt and kind. I appreciate that he explains everything in detail and his advice is grounded in scientific evidence. He was so supportive and always reachable. He paitently, thoughtfully and thoroughly answered all my questions. Plus he was always reachable, even if it meant he had to call us back at 9pm from his cell phone at a conference!
They [Northwestern Medicine] are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice...From the front desk staff to the technicians to the nurses, the team is kind and efficient. I never felt like a number even though the practice is extremely busy all the time...
Don't be afraid to ask questions
He always knew all the details of my specific case when we spoke -- without needing to stare at my chart. He always personally called back when I left messages and never rushes me off the phone (or out of the room). It felt like he's even keep the conversation going intentionally so I could have time to remember and ask all my questions
I don't recall the specifics. We did two fresh IVF cycles, the second resulting in a pregnancy. We just came back for a frozen cycle using PIO, Endometrin and Estrace, and I am currently pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Staci)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are conservative and make decisions based on scientific evidence. The practice is not afraid to take on hard cases out of concern for their success rates. That's the benefit of a research and teaching hospital based practice
They strongly encourage eSET when appropriate for the patient and explain the medical rationale behind it.
Jared Robins
2017, Unknown Success
If you are looking for empathetic, creative, and warm, Dr. Bernardi is a wonderful fit....She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos....Dr. Bernardi treated me with compassion and empathy unlike any of the other four specialists we met with. She was creative and willing to work in a timeline when a colleague of hers was not.
Northwestern is state of the art but you need to advocate for yourself. You won't get an AFC during your ultrasound but can press the nurse who gives you the results later in the day for this information....When in IVF Bootcamp, the scheduler said she was not tasked with the order, while the nurse swore she sent the order....We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
Dr. Bernardi was recommended to me while I was under the care of one of her colleagues and had some concerns about my care. I met with her and immediately felt at ease. She asked about my reasons for leaving the other physician in attempts to get to know me better as a patient. She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
We did a fresh start (no priming) and higher doses of FSH (300) and LH (150). Ganirelix was added on day 5. I triggered on day 8.
Chicago

She [Dr. Karen Altay] has very limited hours of seeing patients. MWF 8-2pm. This wasn't communicated until we did 2 months of tests...We thought she just saw patients during regular business hours, not the half days. As a result we'll have to look elsewhere for IUIs... Lots of testing but not a lot of results that were discussed...seems as though the dr has a plan towards retirement with reduced working hour
Blood tests [at would be complete and I would receive the results in a web portal but the dr wouldn't call/meet with me until CD 1. I hoped to talk about the results to make a plan right away, but the staff screened me from the dr so I had to wait a couple weeks just to get the results 'read'...Small clinic, nice small staff. Weaknesses: seems as though the dr has a plan towards retirement with reduced working hours...$900 out of pocket each month before starting any service.
How was your experience with Karen Altay at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She has very limited hours of seeing patients. MWF 8-2pm. This wasn't communicated until we did 2 months of tests. I don't think anyone can get pregnant if they don't do IUIs outside of that area. We thought she just saw patients during regular business hours, not the half days. As a result we'll have to look elsewhere for IUIs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karen Altay at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Limited hours, limited chances of getting pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karen Altay at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She was thorough on the medical side of things.
Describe the protocols Karen Altay used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Tests included: FemVue with transvaginal ultrasound, ABO/RH, Prolactin, STD, AmH, Comp Metabolic panel. Lots of testing but not a lot of results that were discussed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Marty)
They were good about keeping in touch and trying to be a good liaison between the dr and myself. Remembered my name and spouse's name.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karen Altay at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We used insurance. $900 out of pocket each month before starting any service.
Blood tests would be complete and I would receive the results in a web portal but the dr wouldn't call/meet with me until CD 1. I hoped to talk about the results to make a plan right away, but the staff screened me from the dr so I had to wait a couple weeks just to get the results 'read'.
Karen Altay
Chicago

She [Dr. Eve Feinberg] is very blunt and doesn’t sugar coat things- which I appreciated. She is also very realistic. She helped to set realistic expectations. Sometimes I wonder if we should have tried an additional cycle before moving to donor eggs but we could never afforded it.... Being DOR- I was pushed pretty hard with drugs. The first try at IVF resulted in 3 follicles so the cycles was converted to IUI. The second try only had two follicles- So we cancelled and did not do an IUI because later discovered a Male Factor. These cancellations saved us a lot of money.
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine- Chicago] is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.... Stacey was my favorite- I don’t think she was a nurse but she did most of my appointments. (Saline sonograms, etc)
She is very blunt and doesn’t sugar coat things- which I appreciated. She is also very realistic. She helped to set realistic expectations. Sometimes I wonder if we should have tried an additional cycle before moving to donor eggs but we could never afforded it.
Her calendar fills up very quickly- so book now!
She was very involved in my treatment and really listened to our needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Stacey was amazing!)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice- clean, relatively friendly, etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper than many of the other Chicago clinics. Billing can be frustrating and I kept having to call and reiterate things, but they were going through some staffing changes. Plus, it is super close to public transit since it is downtown.
I believe a full IVF cycle was around 10k-12k, plus meds.
We never reached this point.

2017, Unknown Success
We have only just begin working with Eve [Dr. Feinberg], but she has been patient, informative, and responsive to our inquiries. She also referred us to a urologist to address the male infertility issues and worked closely with the urologist to coordinate care...She took the time to sit down with us and explain answers to questions, as well as being responsive to mychart messages in a timely fashion....
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] is in a busy part of town and parking is expensive, but the office itself is beautiful, all staff are very friendly and professional, and the vibe is overall hopeful...The nurse was also very patient, informative, and responsive to questions/mychart communications promptly...We have only just begin working with Eve [Feinberg] , but she has been patient, informative, and responsive to our inquiries. She also referred us to a urologist to address the male infertility issues and worked closely with the urologist to coordinate care.
We have only just begin working with Eve, but she has been patient, informative, and responsive to our inquiries. She also referred us to a urologist to address the male infertility issues and worked closely with the urologist to coordinate care.
Ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is in a busy part of town and parking is expensive, but the office itself is beautiful, all staff are very friendly and professional, and the vibe is overall hopeful.
our insurance does not cover infertility treatment, so we are in the process of switching coverage to be able to get the treatment
Chicago
Dr. Feinberg was friendly and very upfront with treatment and what could be the cause of my infertility. She wanted to do testing to figure the cause. She listen to my question and give me input of risks.... I felt Dr. Feinberg cared, she did explained but I wish she could have given me more attention.... The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] was clean and very modern with up to date equipment.... They [the nurses] were organized and helpful in making sure your had follow-up appointments....
The clinic [Northwestern Medicine] was clean and very modern with up to date equipment.... They [the nurses] were organized and helpful in making sure your had follow-up appointments.... Dr. Feinberg was friendly and very upfront with treatment and what could be the cause of my infertility. She wanted to do testing to figure the cause. She listen to my question and give me input of risks.... I felt Dr. Feinberg cared, she did explained but I wish she could have given me more attention
Be ready to go hard. She really is understanding.
I used progesterone, estradiol and prenatal vitamins for both FET.
They were organized and helpful in making sure your had follow-up appointments.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was clean and very modern with up to date equipment.
$2000 for out of pocket expenses.
She agreed to transfer 2.
Chicago

Northwestern has a beautiful new office and seem to have a smooth operation to get people in and out. However, they don't treat anyone as individuals, just as another woman coming in and out. They seem to have a 1 size fits all mentality and just try the same plan on everyone based on a study. They do not go above and beyond in any way. Whether its new treatment options, showing support or getting more insight into why pregnancy is not successful. I have a feeling they show more interest in IVF cases. If you are just starting out on your journey, don't come here first.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and does everything by the book. I met her during my initial visit and then did not see her again, however, we did speak on the phone. Dr. Pavone seems to be socially awkward. Like she wants to say something but then censors herself and reverts to only using clinical language to answer a question. She does not think outside of the box and would only consider one approach with my case. When I had asked for additional bloodwork or supplements to take her response was "sure, if you want to". I really just wanted her opinion based on her experience rather than what a study said. She may have too many patients or just not enough experience.
Do your own research and don't expect her to find creative solutions. Always ask to talk to her over the phone -- she is very short over email.
I had to remind the doctor and nurses of my case, my test results each time we talked. I felt like when I didn't, they gave me generic answers or "studies show" answers.
During my first appointment, Dr. Pavone quickly diagnosed me with PCOS based on one ultrasound and 3 long cycles. This diagnosis took me by surprise as I have never had any hormonal issues. She quickly moved forward with her plan. 3 cycles of letrozole (better for women with PCOS) and timed intercourse, 3 cycles of letrozole and IUI, and if those were unsuccessful, move on to IVF. I ended up doing 5 rounds of letrzole and timed intercourse because I missed ovulation (I ovulated before day 14) twice. Despite not ever trying IUI, she said she would advise only one cycle of IUI then moving to IVF. At this point, being only 30 and feeling like it was moving too quickly, I sought out a 2nd opinion.
At NW, you don't have one or two nurses. You deal with whoever is on staff at that time. The nurses work with all the doctors and I saw about 4-5 different nurses over the course of my time. Some of the nurses are better than others. Catherine and Neieve were pretty good -- they showed compassion and explained my situation. Jeannette (I think) was awful. She always seemed rushed, she never knew the specifics of my case and she was not compassionate whatsoever. I dreaded seeing her there on the days I had an ultrasound. The primary form of communication is via MyChart messages. This seems great but the nurses don't answer any questions with detail.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Insurance covered just about everything. For 10+ ultrasounds, HSG test, 10+ bloodwork panels, I've paid about $150.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, typically we've used max doses of gonadotropins and I've actually responded fairly well for what would be expected. I've also tried DHEA, Co-Q 10, various other supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture - have pretty much tried it all. Dr. Pavone always discussed these with me and most importantly went over the benefits and risks.
I felt that the IVF Coordinators [at Northwestern Medicine's Fertility Clinic] could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday...The new office space and lab are amazing - very state of the art. I like that they are open 7 days a week and that there is a doctor always on call for any emergent need. The monitoring runs smoothly and quickly.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and knows that data behind the most recent theories in fertility care. In being on this road for as long as we have, unfortunately, I've done a lot of reading and gotten A LOT of 'advice' from people who really think they understand fertility better than specialists. No matter what crazy thing I brought to Dr. Pavone, she always took time to discuss peer-reviewed literature and why something made sense or didn't make sense.
She has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of our fertility care to both me and my husband and returned my calls promptly when she could (i.e. wasn't in the operating room or seeing other patients in clinic).
I felt that the IVF Coordinators could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I felt like this clinic is a well-oiled machine in the mornings. There are certainly some patients who complain a lot about having to do any waiting but I felt that if you got there somewhat early, you would get in and out in good time.
Fortunately, our insurance has covered all of our procedures. We've only had to pay copays for procedures and medications.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Kazer] was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us...
[Northwestern Med] Strengths-early morning hours, efficient, beautiful location, prompt responses. Weaknesses- expensive parking (even with discount), not a lot of individual attention, didn't feel as if they knew me or my story at all. Overall I have had a good experience, but not exceptional. It may be different when going through IVF...They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated...
He was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us.
Come with lots of questions ready.
There wasn't a lot of one on one attention to our particular story. It felt like, 'well this is how we do things so let's try it.' There wasn't a lot of investigating the why.
We have unexplained infertility and got pregnant the first IUI + 50 mg clomid + trigger shot cycle. When we returned 3 years later, we tried this again twice. Then after no success, we tried same protocol with 100 mg clomid (to increase the follicles) for 2 more times. No luck so far. We are currently deciding whether or not to do one final IUI or proceed to IVF.
They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated. The downside was that it was often clear that they didn't review my chart before seeing me and needed me to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my treatment. There was no continuity of care as I saw a new RN almost each time. I didn't feel like they knew me or my story.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Covered by insurance, so I am not sure of the costs (paid deductible).
Chicago

Dr. Barnes did not seem interested in actually seeing me as a patient or making sure that I was taken care of. I only saw him for the initial consultation and then once I was finally pregnant (before miscarrying). Once he determined that I was likely miscarrying and could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, he fell off the radar and left me hanging without confirming if I did or did not have a tubal pregnancy... I would be prepared to see very little of him.
I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic [Northwestern Medicine] called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic...The nursing staff was great at this facility...The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy
I am unsure of how Dr. Barnes is as an IVF doctor, but if you are going to see him for anything less, I would be prepared to see very little of him.
I was doing timed intercourse with letrozole to induce ovulation. I rarely ever saw Dr. Barnes. I only saw him for my initial visit and once I was pregnant and ready to go in for an ultrasound. When I did go in for an ultrasound and it was determined that he could not see anything on the ultrasound, he told me I could have a tubal pregnancy and that they would call with more information the next day. I did not hear from them for days, despite my trying to contact them on my own. I was worried that if it was tubal, I was at risk of my fallopian tube bursting and losing it. Only when I had my OBGYN get in touch with the office did they ask for me to come in for another ultrasound, but Dr. Barnes did not see me - another Dr. in the office did. This is when they told me they did not think it was a tubal pregnancy, but I did, in fact, miscarry for the 2nd time. I felt like, because I was not an IVF patient but rather on the timed intercourse/medicated cycle, I was not worth his time.
In my initial consultation, Dr. Barnes' assistant doctor diagnosed me with PCOS based on my ultrasound. (I had gone a significant amount of time without menstruating). I then met with Dr. Barnes and he determined that I should start on letrozole to encourage follicle growth, then once I had sufficient follicles, I would take a trigger shot to induce ovulation. I was able to get pregnant twice, but miscarried both times. I do believe that the treatment strategy was effective an appropriate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Neive Hanak)
The nursing staff was great at this facility. Without them, this place would seem like nothing but a baby-mill.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was very efficient and always had time to take me in. The only problem with their availability was that over the weekends, it was difficult to get in touch with someone if I needed to. One other issue I had was that the office was always so busy, it almost seemed like a baby-mill.
I'm not sure if it was the doctor's fault or the clinic's fault, but when I was told I could potentially have a tubal pregnancy, neither the doctor or the clinic called to follow up - even after I left multiple messages with the clinic.