NYU

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Brooklyn
161 Madison Avenue
212-779-8576
355 West 52nd Street
212-263-0040
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU to a friend?
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff [at NYU]...Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc...They [nurses] are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is big, there are always people in the waiting room. If you want a boutique experience this is not for you. Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU?
Nurses know my name, as does Dr. Grifo, all are patient, kind, attentive and in tune with my particular case.
I love these women! They are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is all about numbers. He is extremely smart, continues to do research and I find him to be candid and honest with me. After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster. I find him open to working with other doctors (even when he doesn't agree with their ideology), he is willing to try different things than what his normal protocol allows for. He is open to my suggestions and patiently answers pages and pages worth of prepared questions I have presented him with after doing my own research. In dealing with autoimmune issues he has been particularly accommodating and his ongoing work on Chronic Endometritis has been extremely informative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU?
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
First retrieval cycle we did 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur. I had 13 eggs, 11 fertilized with ICSI. Did a fresh transfer and PGS tested the balance. Got 2 PGS normal embryos and 1 Mosaic. After failed fresh transfer we did an endometrial biopsy that was positive for Chronic Endometritis. Took months to treat that, once it cleared I did two frozen transfers that both resulted in chemical pregnancies. The first frozen transfer was done with Estrace and an autoimmune protocol that included Prednisone, Plaquenil and IVIG. The second FET was a natural cycle transfer with autoimmune protocol as well. This current retrieval cycle I am doing 300 Follistim, 150 Menopur and Letrozol.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
A lot of women in the waiting room, if you show up at the very end of monitoring hours you will wait for sure. But once you put your name into the system that you arrived, you will be called in turn (usually within 20 minutes at the very longest) and from there it is a well oiled machine. You get to know all the doctors and PA's that are doing the sonograms and you know all the nurses drawing blood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
For a self-pay full cycle, with PGS testing, transfer and medications the OVERALL cost (everything included) is approximately $24,000.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
Dr. Grifo does not endorse multiple embryo transfer but is willing to do so at the patient's request or insistence.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day [at NYU], you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic...Most of them [nurses] are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU fertility is a renowned for their in-vitro success rates. However, from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day, you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
During the 3 cycles, only once was the treatment adjusted when i had poor response to the fertility drugs. i showed better results then. Not further tests were done to understand if there was another condition other than the obvious factor of age. Later, found by another doctor on the first visit, it was discovered i had a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing lots of issues. this was discovered by simply checking my prolactin levels. I am told by other doctors this should have been checked.
During your cycles at NYU you will see a slew amount of nurses. Most of them are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time. for example: 1) i asked via email what to do with my leftover lupron? and why i had an unused medication called vivelle and what were those for? to that i was left a voicemail that said lupron expires in 30 days. 2) i was told once by one nurse during a cycle, i am confused by your protocol not sure what to do. 3) during the beginning of one of my IVF i realized i had a lot of medication left over from cancelled cycle. i requested that the nurse only provides a prescription for what i needed. but again since nobody is really following your chart she said she could not do that and would leave me on my voice mail the amount she requested to the pharmacy so i can cross reference with my inventory. Then, i called the pharmacy myself to reduce the count of each medication. it is important to call out that fertility medications like Menapure or Gonal can quickly add up to a bill of 5k to 10k depending of the amount. so for me it was really stressful and careless to have gone about it in this manner.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Doctor Brooke is warm and i believe a great physician but i think the NYU set up is not conducive to spending time with any of their patients. Communication is hard since you have to go through a portal or an email. Answers most always come via a nurse and that nurse will be a different person every time. This combined with perhaps a complex case, makes a recipe for a lot of confusion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Do tons of research and have a lot of questions prepared. I would suggest for anybody to visit an endocrinologist first prior to starting any fertility treatments. I would also suggest to ask if there will be a lead nurse on your case.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
the 3 rounds went pretty much the same. Gonal F + Menapure was always on the list with the same dosage indicated. the one time i showed better results was when Lupron was added for few days.
NY - 1st Ave
the initial consultation [at NYU] was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees...We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost...Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do. Coordinators nurses and billing staff is very responsive. I have not been able to reach my doctor ever again after meeting him initially for consultation. He didn’t reply my email where I explained what has and hasn’t happened the 5 months since we initially met with him and followed his treatment protocol. We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Keefe at NYU?
The NYU offices are very busy. I have met Dr. Keefe once with my partner and never saw him again. Nurse Carol has been my primary contact and caregiver. After 3 clomid treatments and 2 IUIs , we have not been successful yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
Nurse Carol is the best thing in this place. She is thorough , professional, no nonsense, detailed and good communicator. Always immediately calls back with answers. Really like her
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU?
He was compassionate but After the initial half hour consultation there were no follow ups. I would have appreciated a closer relationship with my doctor, especially having gone through 3 unsuccessful cycles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Keefe at NYU?
Stay connected closely. Ask questions. Be in touch
Describe the protocols David Keefe used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
Clomid x2 a day- day 3-7 Ovidrel day 13
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Keefe at NYU.
My doctorDoes not take my insurance so the initial consultation was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees around $3000 plus the medication is From $2000 -$8000.
David Keefe
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
They [nurses at NYU] are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way...The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
Describe your experience with NYU.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
NY - 1st Ave
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They [NYU] will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before...the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs...The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Not a state-of-the art clinic. Success rates, doctors, equipment were what mattered to me, but if you are looking for premium waiting rooms, 1:1 attention from your doctor during the full length of treatment, immediate responses to follow up calls, this may not be the clinic for you. The academic association of this clinic warrants a team approach, so you will have to trust the team of doctors' best practices, proven protocols, years of research and published papers. The few star doctors of the clinic will be there for you if you really need them. But you will need to be a very patient patient. In FC NYU there are great embryologists, so if you fear your age is determining a lower quality of your eggs, you want that team looking at your embryos and performing biopsies. You also want to go for the PGS testing lab they recommend and trust their interpretation of results. One thing I absolutely loathed about this clinic was the billing department. Staff sitting there is misinformed, inefficient, insecure, and unprofessional. Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. Every time I know I have to deal with them, my adrenaline is through the roof. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide better "client services" training and make measurable improvements ASAP!
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before. Also, sitting in a packed waiting room and having your name called among other 10 names, definitely feels like a manufacturing plant scale... The 1:1 interactions are great (with with exception of billing), but everything else around it is of inhumane scale.
The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great. And when you have to call for questions, the message service is tremendously impersonal, but efficient. Nurses will call you back in a couple of hours, and leave very unambiguous voice mails. They are great. A few of them are more talkative and will give you invaluable tips (that should probably be part of orientation), such as: 1) if you are doing PGS, what is the best possible way to optimize timing (brith control pills); 2) if you are using the Gonal F or Follastim pens, don't throw them away if they are not completely finished as you can get a full day worth of dosage in it, or even combine it with a brand new cartridge, representing hundreds of dollars of savings in the end; 3) don't buy all drugs at once, get supplies worth a few days, because you never know how quickly your body will respond to drugs, and you might get stuck with a ton of expensive drugs you can't return.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Spotting Grifo in the clinic is like spotting a celebrity. You see him once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number compounding that average, that median, and keep you on your tip toes secretly hoping for the moment he will pull you aside and say "look, I followed your case day by day, I know a lot about you now, and you are not part of this statistic anymore... you are you and this is what I think!" It's not going to happen, but emotionally I'm in that phase now, as I wait for for my 2nd IVF cycle yet (I'm banking after 1 PGS-tested euploid embryo already frozen). The retrieval is performed by the doctor in attendance that day, so if Grifo is there 1 out of 5 days, your chances of seeing him are 20%. I just went through the embryo transfer course from Fertility IQ and am now freaking out about the performance variances across different doctors within the same clinic. Looking forward to touching base with Grifo to know his POV on this.
Try to take your emotions out of the equation as much as possible. Convince yourself you are making the best possible choice by enduring IVF: 1) you are maximizing your chances, 2) you are controlling the outcome (if you are doing PGS you are screening the best quality embryos in advance, and you are lowering your miscarriage chances to lower rates than mother nature), 3) you are taking an expensive, emotionally tolling, short-cut to starting a family, if time is of the essence for you. Personally, IVF me dread every evening of treatment, but I took one day at a time, and even tried to enjoy the fact that I was taking control over my destiny (vs. years worth of trying, especially if you are retrieving a high number of eggs per cycle --imagine the monthly disappointments, or even mourning a miscarriage (which happened to be in the recent past). Grifo is a matter-of-the-fact person, so if you are able to rationalize all the facts above, he is the doctor for you. He can be personable, funny, and charmingly smart.
Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Lupron + HCG triggers. My body responded very well to drug stimulation, and all along, doses of Gonal F and Menopur were being adjusted by doctors so my follicles had time to mature appropriately. Cetrotide was taken to prevent early ovulation, and my triggers consisted of 2 days of Lupron and 1 day of HCG, at 36 and 24hrs prior to retrieval. Triggers are to be shot at specific times, so that generates a little anxiety, especially if you have to excuse yourself from a client meeting for a few minutes :( My 1st cycle produced 20+ eggs and 2nd cycle 20+ eggs again. Quality is very different from quantity, so if you can, PGS will give you a good reality check and ensure a lower miscarriage/bad surprises rate. I don't have final results yet as I'm still waiting on 2nd cycle results (1st one yielded 1 euploid embryo that is currently frozen).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Efficient well-oiled machine. Nurses are very personable despite the scale of the clinic. Well-mannered, up beat, rain or shine, as early as 7.30 on a holiday. They are GREAT!
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
Depends. If insurance covers, the value per IVF cycle charged is lower (about $7,500), if you are paying OOP the iVF cycle is about $10,200. Retrieval anesthesia, cryo, transfer, PGS costs, drugs are all separate. I don't have all the info yet because of insurance processing delays, but if you are doing all OOP, costs are as follow (approx. total $: 24,000) - $15,300 retrieval + cryo + PGS - $1,000 retrieval anesthesia - $2,500 PGS lab testing (minimum fee, pending # of biopsied embryos) - $5,000 drugs Insurance scam I leaned about after many hours on the phone amidst my full time job: my Express Scripts insurance drug coverage gives me a lifetime max coverage of $4,000. If I process through insurance 1 pen of Gonal F 900 units, the cost is of $1,900. If I pay OOP, the cost is of $850 through the same pharmacy. So.... with my insurance I was hoping to cover at least 80% of the drugs I needed for 1 cylce, and with 2 pens of Gonal F (approx. 10% of the drugs I actually needed) my life time max was done! Appalling... specially when you read Australian blogs in which women go through 10 cycles of IVF for free...
Not discussed with Grifo yet, but my philosophy is to take as little drugs as possible, especially after the recent bombarding I did to my body, and the fact that I have no issues ovulating and a well functioning endometrium.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave.... For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
NY - 1st Ave
[NYU] There are many nurses and they all seem somewhat confused and overworked. The issue is their phone system. You can't call anyone directly. You have to always leave a message and they call you back. I really dislike this...Once they forgot to call in my trigger shot prescription and it arrived late....Biggest issue is you can't get anyone on the phone...I felt like just a number in all honesty...
Describe your experience with NYU.
Biggest issue is you can't get anyone on the phone. They have an answering service where you leave a message and they call you back at their leisure and what's convenient for them. I'm sorry, but for the money they make they could hire an actual receptionist that works for the doctor.
I feel like a number because she doesn't call me to check in and see how I'm doing. She's very quick and always feels like she's in a hurry during appointments.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
I felt like she had hesitation when I asked if any of the fertility treatments were linked to causing cancer. Once she told me no, other times she would say "well you wouldn't want to do 10 cycles"! And it left me feeling very uneasy and unclear. I also somewhat felt like a lot of her recommendations were a shot in the dark guess rather than specific to me and my needs. She also hasn't followed up with me in months. I feel like she only wants to push IVF because it's most profitable for her. Another reason why I felt like just a number in all honesty.
Ask questions and demand clear answers. She has a way of talking in circles. She wants to tell you what she wants to tell you. Not necessarily what you want to know.
From day one she wanted me to do IVF. However after my persistence, She put me on clomid for an IUI and it sped up my cycle too quickly and I missed the iui opportunity (because I ovulated on like day 5!). So we lost 2 months because of this. Then she switched me to letrizole which made my cycle a normal 30 days but still no luck with the iui.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
Co pay only at this time. Insurance covered everything else.
Describe Brooke Hodes-Wertz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
She is pushy for just implanting 1 embryo at a time. She herself has twins (from doing IVF) so I can only assume it's because she wants the potential for more money. However I was told I would have final say and could implant a max of 2 embryos.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with NYU.
This has been my only experience with a fertility clinic so i don't have anything to compare it to. NYU I think is one of the larger 'factory' types of fertility clinics. And, at times I did feel that. But, that said, they do have a pretty well-oiled efficient system and I felt confident I was in good hands and that if my cycle was cancelled at any point it would not have been due to human error or balls dropped. Also, in spite of the assembly line feel at times, most of the staff (medical and administrative) I encountered were friendly and had a personality and tried to make a human connection for that brief encounter. Overall, I was impressed that everyone clearly had a sense of and respect for the difficulty & expense of this process. This was reflected in the tone of the facility and the care at each turn.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
A few aspects of my specific situation (which also then changed from first visit in 2015 to 2017/18) made the decision to try IVF a personal challenge to work through. She actively and patiently listened to me with each visit over the several year period before deciding to try it. Without trying to sway me either way, she offered her honest input - both the statistics/facts but also (and more importantly) her experience and observations as someone who has worked with many women though this decision and process.
Overall i think they are too overloaded. They do very well given this, but I think it can at times compromise their focus and care. I have found them primarily to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and understanding of the trial the IVF experience is. But I did sometimes feel shuttled through an assembly line at times. At times they seemed as grumpy as we were to be there at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
She might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result; however, she clearly cares about her work, her patients and helping them make a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at NYU?
Don't expect warm & fuzzy, but you'll get so much more that this.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
I am just about to have my retrieval (tomorrow) so unclear yet how things will go in terms of a successful cycle or not. This is my first IVF cycle but in talking with others, I think what I was on was very typical. Menopur 300, gonal-f 300 - daily for 8 days w/ antagonist Centrotide last 3-4 (?) days. Ovadril trigger shot. I am old to be trying this (45) but my hormones and all that can be tested leading up to this indicated it was still a possibility, though a long shot (Dr Noyes was clear about this but also not hopeless).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It was well orchestrated for sure. I was never there for longer than felt appropriate for what needed to happen that visit. It was not perfect (first couple times, it wasn't clear who I was seeing for the ultra sounds (a doctor, my doctor, a tech?) or what they were looking for with the first couple visits) but I advocated for myself and if asked for more info immediately got it & the nurse realized she had been too quick.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU.
it is the same as far as i know for all the docs at nyu... nyu cycle is 11,700 because I'm doing PGS (PGS is another 2-3,000 i think it is ...plus the outside lab fees)...there are other fees too. If I make it to transfer that will be 2,000 i think
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
Her policy I assume is that of NYU's, which is single only - they wont do multiples. Higher risk of multiple pregnancies compromising heath and development of each other. I'd be a single mom if this works...so twins was not something I was eager to get out of this anyway.
NY - 1st Ave
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart.... I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it [NYU - 1st Ave] is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen.
Describe your experience with NYU.
I believe this is a top rated clinic in the U.S. for a reason. I've had several friends have success with this practice, and I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen. That said, all of the staff have treated me with courtesy and care and I have never been made to feel like a number - despite clearly knowing that I am one of a large number of patients.
I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires to "get this done as quickly as possible." She takes the time to listen to me and always answers my full list of questions. When I miscarried, she was sympathetic, but remains positive about the likelihood of me successfully carrying to term in the future. Additionally, her assistant Alyssa is a pleasure to work with and helps me squeeze into see her or speak with her when I have questions. I have never felt like a number or like I was on a conveyor belt at her practice.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart. They've helped keep me positive about this process and frequently done a good job at answering questions before I even think to ask them.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
I like a straightforward doctor, which Dr. Noyes is. That doesn't mean she lacks compassion, just that like me, she gets to the point and I feel confident that she understands my situation and is committed to helping me get the results I want. While I am only about a third of the way through my overall fertility plan, my interactions with her so far have made me feel heard and given me hope that this process will be successful. Dr. Noyes has created a plan that perfectly aligns with the desires I shared with her, and as we've hit bumps in the road (like a miscarriage after success with my first IUI treatment), she's been compassionate and adjusted our plan accordingly.
If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you. If you need someone to hand-hold you every step of the way, she might not be... but I've found her to be a caring and comforting doctor.
Other, Unexplained
There is many nurses and workers at facility [NYU - W 52nd]. They won't remember you. They do their part. So you just show and tell your problems and they will try to fix them. There is no comfort or friendly atmosphere. If you don't want close relationship with doctor or nurse and just focusing on issues, this clinic is the best for you....There were nurses that I see at visit. But I don't know them well and they don't know me well either.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
There is many nurses and workers at facility. They won't remember you. They do their part. So you just show and tell your problems and they will try to fix them. There is no comfort or friendly atmosphere. If you don't want close relationship with doctor or nurse and just focusing on issues, this clinic is the best for you.
I don't say it's her fault. But Because of big fertility center like NYU, I didn't feel connected with doctor. She pretty much gives you straightforward answer. There is no hesitation.
There were nurses that I see at visit. But I don't know them well and they don't know me well either. Most of them are well trained nurses. But because there are so many patients. Again they are doing their best. But you feel like you are on assembly line.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
I liked her because she doesn't show any emotion. She tell you what she thinks right directly. But I felt that she didn't give me numerous options. "It's only one thing that you should do is this" something like that. She is not bad person, she is good person but not friendly person. She tells me what's happening and what's going to happen to me without comfort. If you want just get to the business without emotional support then she is right for you.
I believe she is experienced doctor with knowledge. But you have to ask her. She is not gonna tell you 1 to 10. I think you should write down what you want to ask before visit. She is not gonna tell you extra info unless you ask.
She told me I might have PCOS. But not quite sure. I've tried letrozole 2.5mg for first IUI. Then increased dose to 7.5mg at 4th IUI till 6th. I 've tried clomid one time. I have unexplained infertility. So her strategy was normal treatment that increase dose of letrozole.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
It's NYU. I think it was expensive. But most of insurance will cover. Website of NYU says The self-pay fee for an initial consultation with physician is approximately $500. The cost of an IVF cycle using fresh eggs, without genetic testing, starts at $12,650.
I was not there yet. But I think she would transfer one or two embryos. She didn't want me to have multiple babies.
Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological, Other, Unexplained
The NYU nursing staff is like my family. They all know me by name, are upbeat friendly faces to see every morning monitoring. Can't say enough about this staff. Really love them.... Well oiled machine. Check in at computers up front and wait to be called. Blood taken first then sent to room for the ultrasound. I always get there early and am in and out in no time.
Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is extremely large so you have to proactively manage your care and be your own advocate. Do your research so you're prepared with your questions when you talk to your doctor or the staff. I keep a binder with all of my lab results, protocols, Insurance forms, Financial forms, general info etc. I have found absolutely everyone on this staff to be responsive and fabulous.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
NYU is a large fertility clinic and well oiled machine. At first I felt like a number until I learned how to operate within the system. It's difficult to have direct access to your Doctor, which is understandable given the volume of patients they say day in and day out. However, any time I leave messages with Dr. Fino's assistant for Dr. Fino I get an immediate response. They went above and beyond for me several times. Dr. Masbou who is a fellow that works with Dr. Fino is super responsive and accessible by email as well. The staff at NYU has come to feel like family and they are very responsive and well organized.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
Dr. Fino is exceptionally knowledgable, practical and compassionate. She spends at least 20 minutes with me every call we have and thoroughly answers all of my questions. She's also exceptionally open to hearing what research I have done or approaches I would like to consider. I appreciate that after my first failed transfer of a PGS tested embryo she gave me information on a reproductive immunologist to further explore additional options.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
Don't be discouraged by the fact that you don't see her very often or that you can't get immediate access to her. She is exceptionally responsive and thorough and if you schedule a call you will get all the time you want/need with her. She's been fantastic and I trust her completely.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
IUI protocol: letrozal (for PCOS) First Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide First Transfer Cycle: Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc First cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 750 mg Metformin, 600 mg CoQ10, 800 mg Folic Acid, 2,000 mg Vitamin D3 After failed transfer Dr. Fino performed a saline sonogram to look for fibroids and/or endometriosis and an endometrial biopsy. The biopsy found Endometritis. Husband and I were treated with strong course of 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks. Second Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide. During this retrieval Dr. Masbou performed a follow up endometrial biopsy or scratch to both confirm Endometritis was cleared and at the recommendation of Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist). Second Transfer Cycle: Includes protocols from Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist as well). Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc, Baby Aspirin (81 mg), Lovenox (0.6mL), Intralipid 20% Second cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 1500 mg Metformin, VitaCare (prescribed prenatal), 600 mg CoQ10, 1.4 mg Folic Acid (Metanx), 4,000 mg Vitamin D3, Fem-Dophilus pro-biotic, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate, Prednisone (15 mg per day), Synthroid (25 mg)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU.
Our first cycle was completely covered by United Healthcare with the exception of PGS testing. The first cycle totaled approximately $21,000. Our second cycle (retrieval, PGS testing and transfer) have been completely covered by Progeny.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
NYU recommends single embryo transfer for PGS tested embryos. We discussed all of the risks.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
After your initial consultation with your Doctor [at NYU], you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick...The nursing staff is extraordinary at the NYU langone practice. They would always provide clear instructions about my medication and injections. I always received a return phone call, if I had questions. They were so kind during my morning monitoring. I have been spoiled by their treatment!
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with NYU.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor, you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick.
Dr Hodes-Wertz knows how to balance giving blunt diagnosis with warm bedside manner. She has never rushed me and has always spent time to listen to my concerns. I did not feel judged for any of my questions. Dr. Hodes-Wertz is both professional, talented, confident in her practice and kind.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Dr. Hodes-Wertz is very kind and patient. She is also very smart and professional. This balance is very comforting as a patient, especially when dealing with a sensitivity of fertility. Dr. Hodes-Wertz took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments. She never made me feel judged for asking many questions about the diagnosis and treatment. I felt comfortable moving forward with a Salpingectomy because she made me feel comfortable and confident about the surgery and outcome. After getting pregnant from my first cycle of IVF and later experiencing a Pprom, Dr. Hodes-Wertz provided treatment that my OB did not offer such as an Endometrial Biopsy. I am currently in my second IVF cycle with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I have a very hopeful outlook on a successful pregnancy due to her care.
Don't be afraid to ask her any questions. She is very patient and kind. She will provide straightforward diagnosis, but she is very kind, professional and confident in all of her treatments.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz found that I had a blocked tube and suggested a Salpingectomy in order to avoid complications with getting pregnant. She performed the surgery and I recovered so quickly that I was able to be up and about the next day. She also suggested genetic and PGS testing, which I carried through with and gave me peace of mind when I got pregnant and also when I had a PProm because I could rule out genetic factors from being the cause.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
I was happy with the monitoring appointments as they were from 7am to 9am and easy and quick to get to before work.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz's approach to recommend both PGS and single embryo transfer made me feel safe and confident in my pregnancy.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Hava is the best - she manages his office [NYU-Madison Ave] and is also the head nurse. Go through Hava for everything and just listen to Hava.... The office is dated and doesn't have the newest aesthetics, but with that said Dr. Essig has been doing this for many years and that comes with lots of experience. Again, he will not start you on the most aggressive treatment and will design a treatment best for your own body that's the most natural for your needs.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with NYU.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Essig at NYU?
Dr. Essig is patient, kind and caring as a doctor. He is always available via cell phone or text, outside of typical office hours. He's come in several times on weekends to assist with my fertility needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Hava)
Hava is the best - she manages his office and is also the head nurse. Go through Hava for everything and just listen to Hava.
How was your experience with Mitchell Essig at NYU?
Dr. Essig doesn't use a super aggressive approach out the door for helping with your fertility issues. If you're looking for lots of hands-on, starting slow and figuring out the right recipe that will work - he's your guy. It's not a big fertility clinic and is a small office with him as the only doctor, so you need to decide if that's the right fit for what you're looking for.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Essig at NYU?
If you're looking for the fastest, most aggressive treatment, he might not be the right fit for you. He is very good at what he does, he's been in the business for many years and he's not just out to get your money for the most aggressive and expensive treatment. The fertility clinics do a more aggressive approach so you need to decide what works best for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Essig at NYU.
His price was a bit less expensive a couple of years ago, but his prices are less expensive than most of the clinics.
Mitchell Essig
NY - Madison Ave
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [NYU] is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate...Great nursing staff. Always helpful, compassionate and informative. Only issue with 1 nurse over the 10-15 we saw over a 5 month period.... It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate.
She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU?
kara was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible.
Feel free to ask as many questions as possible. Note however that there is always a lot of information, but you will have multiple opportunities to go over everything at each step.
She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval. The issue we had was a shortage of eggs, so she was realistic and didnt want to waste our time and money. During the second retrieval she changed one of the meds and our result was not as good, so she quickly changed course for the third retrieval and our result was better. She also advised to do a frozen transfer as the technology was such that it would increase the genetic screening and increase our chances for an ultimate live birth. She also said she highly recommended only a single transfer as we did a frozen transfer and there was no need to to do multiples as we already know the embryo is viable, rather than the 40-50% chance of a viable embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It was somewhere in between. It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU.
About $20,000 -25,000 per retrieval all in (including meds) and $5,000 for the transfer. This is probably too simplistic as it was a very complicated process.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
She definitely pushed for eSET as we did a frozen transfer and the embryo was already tested and viable. It got us out of the 40-50% viability with a fresh transfer. Also we were very clear we did not want twins.
NY - 1st Ave
All the staff in that office [NYU Langone] treated us like we were machines. They gave us tons of papers with information, and they kept mentioning dates and enumerate steps of procedures in the most impersonal way I can possibly describe....It was clean. But being there felt very impersonal, and all the staff were pretty bad communicators. We were guided to at least 4 different desks, where different nurses and admin staff talked to us about different parts of the procedures, and none of them seemed to care about or even realize that I was so overwhelmed I was about to break down in tears.
Describe your experience with NYU.
It was clean. But being there felt very impersonal, and all the staff were pretty bad communicators. We were guided to at least 4 different desks, where different nurses and admin staff talked to us about different parts of the procedures, and none of them seemed to care about or even realize that I was so overwhelmed I was about to break down in tears. They have no good internal processes, and it ends up being quite upsetting to just even be there.
Dr. Griffo barely reviewed my file before meeting with me. He and his staff talked about numbers and procedures like I was a machine. I have met with other doctors, this was my worst experience.
All the staff in that office treated us like we were machines. They gave us tons of papers with information, and they kept mentioning dates and enumerate steps of procedures in the most impersonal way I can possibly describe.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
My husband and I went to Dr. Grifo for an initial consultation. He spoke to us for about an hour without focusing on our case - he just kept referring to statistics, graphs, and numbers. We told him that we had a fertility doctor who had already done all the standard tests on us, but that we had decided to also meet with him to be confident that we were comfortable with our decision. We couldn't have been clearer that we were there to gather information. He then proceeded to show me to a room and asked me to put on a robe so that he would examine me. Not understanding at all why this would be part of an initial consultation, and even though I asked him repeatedly about it, in an effort to do everything I could to have a baby, I ended up submitting myself to an ultrasound and a swab. I was confused, felt completely taken advantage of, and left that place feeling like a machine. A few weeks later, I received a bill, as my insurance was not covering the tests he did on me that day, something I have no doubt he knew. So I ended up having to pay for those completely unnecessary tests that I had never asked for.
Do NOT chose him as your doctor.
32 Eggs Frozen
NYU is an egg freezing machine that kinda feels like a MedSpa.There, I did not always see my doctor for ultrasounds throughout the process, but whoever was on staff, and all of the doctors I had were very nice and talked me through what they were seeing on my ultrasound as well as how much longer they thought I had in the process...I liked the West Side location for blood and ultrasound much better because there was never any wait like there can be on the East and you can go right before 9am (not so early as the East side) and be out by 9:15am. I found it more efficient, faster and easier for me since I live on the West side.
32 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with NYU.
The nurses as well are very nice and knowledgable. They are friendly, yet do there best to get you in and out as quickly as possible. They definitely have their process down to a T.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Dr. Hodes has an excellent bed side manner because she replies promptly, listens fully to concerns and takes the time to explain her answers. She never seemed overly worried and was honest and transparent about things like the risk of engaging in exercise throughout the process. I don't think Dr. Hodes could have done anything better at all really. I recommend my friends to her. On the doctors, maybe what specifically made her bedside manner so good. How did she adjust the protocol from the first to the second treatment. Did she air on the side of conservatism or do you think she was pretty aggressive. Anything she could do differently that would make her better.
Utilize the west side clinic.
In my first cycle, I was on the cusp of having retrieval a day sooner or later. Dr. Hodes opted for later and thus 3 of the 20 eggs I got were "over baked"; however, 3 were still under baked. In the second cycle, I was ready for retrieval two days sooner than the first, so I got less hormones and a better result of freeing 18 eggs out of 23 retrieved. I am not sure if my body just produced better the second time, or Dr. Hodes used her learnings from the first time to make the second time more efficient.
NY - W 52nd
My experience at NYU was pleasant. Wait times were not long and the clinic was not super crowded. The nurses have a good eye as they were able to catch things my previous RE didn't catch. They are all very patient even when I called many times...The nurses and other staff are very caring and patient. They return phone calls and emails promptly. When I needed a copy of my records emailed to me they had it done very quickly.
Middle Eastern, Other
Describe your experience with NYU.
It is a smaller clinic less doctors. The nurses really care and return phone calls/ and emails Promptly
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carole and Andrea )
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward and says it like it is. He is very into his statistics and its all about the numbers. He provides you with the different options for you to make the decision. To me he basically admitted that he has no idea why I am not conceiving and said its a luck game. He even said "If you tried naturally for 5 years you would probably get pregnant". He said if I want to rush he would do IVF(which is costly) but then also suggested I try 3 letrizole IUI cycle after having 3 failed clomid IUI cycles. With Dr. Grifo I tried 1 letrizole cycle which unfortunately failed. I suggested to try an injectable IUI cycle as I wanted to try something new; however, he did not agree with that and said that he would want to do IVF instead of injectables. I did not understand from him or his nurses why it is a problem to try injectables before IVF. Also I have an autoimmune condition; however, he does not believe it affects my infertility; however, he was open to me being on certain medications such as blood thinners if needed during a cycle. But they would have to be prescribed by another Dr. such as hematologist, rheumatologist , RI. Right now I put a hold on treatment as i am moving apartments, i am looking into a Dr. who will try an injectable IUI
Dr. Grifo may come off as cold and standoffish; however, you should not be afraid to ask any questions. I would encourage to ask as many questions as possible and pick his very knowledgeable brain. Be your own advocate!
I did 1 Letrizole IUI cycle with ovadril, I produced 2 follicles 1 large the other smaller. Unfortunately it resulted in a negative pregnancy test. He used Letrizole to try something different because I had 3 failed clomid IUI. He also re-tested my platelet count because they appeared to be slightly below the norm. I was very happy they caught the low platelet count because when I was at RMA they missed it. His nurses were reviewing my records from RMA and noticed this low platelet count. I went to a hematologist and turned out to be the platelets were not such a big issue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
My IUI was covered by insurance; however, I had to pay for the Ovardril approximately $75 and ultra sounds were applied to my deductible which was about a total of $198
I did not do embryo transfers but in my initial consult Dr. Grifo strongly disagrees with transferring more than one embryo.
2014 - 2017
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
None, Unexplained
The staff at the clinic [NYU] are friendly and upbeat and are generally good about being efficient. They are great about calling roughly when they say they will. Not as much personal attention as I would like...I did have a few things go not-so-smoothly, like being told to take the wrong dose of medication or given the wrong instructions post-procedure...Be prepared to show up closer to 6:45 a.m. if you want to get in and out of monitoring fast.
2014 - 2017
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
None, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
The staff at the clinic are friendly and upbeat and are generally good about being efficient. They are great about calling roughly when they say they will. Not as much personal attention as I would like because I have multiple health issues. If you are considering IUI, there is one nurse who i think is much better at it than the others but that might just be a personal preference. Be prepared to show up closer to 6:45 a.m. if you want to get in and out of monitoring fast. If you come later, definitely longer waits, especially if you need an ultrasound, too. Definitely be proactive and make sure to communicate with your doctor as much as you are comfortable doing. You must be proactive. I have not been to other clinics so I don't know how this one compares.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
Dr. Licciardi was great about calling me back when I requested a phone call, but he didn't always seem to know who I was or where I was or in what kind of cycle. As a result, I think I was addressing one concern while he was talking about something else, that I didn't even know related to me. When we had actual appointments, he was attentive at those times. Once, I ran into him on my way out after an IUI under his care/protocol, and he didn't wish me good luck or even smile; I thought this was a little odd, but then realized he was probably very busy and/or preoccupied.
Very hit or miss. Some excellent nurses. Some not so excellent nurses. It seems in the five years that I've been a patient at NYU that things have gotten more like a factory and there is just a huge volume of patients, more than there was when I was first there. For the most part, everyone is cheerful and upbeat, but they don't all have the same level of experience and I was given misinformation at least once. Also came away from blood taking very bruised once or twice. Had to ice and it wasn't when I was having daily blood tests. On the plus side, if you do get to know one of the nurses, sometimes you can get that person's direct line if you want their opinion. Nurse's take of picture was sometimes different than my doctor's so it was confusing at times.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
I think Dr. Licciardi is a very caring doctor and has a lot of patients and I appreciated his attention during our appointments but wish I had called him more often during actual treatments to see how he would have responded. As I wrote earlier, he does always call back within a reasonable amount of time but doesn't always seem to know why I would be calling and he would answer questions that I think are significant pretty quickly, so that I wondered if he was considering all of my own unique information or just answering generally what he would tell a patient in a similar situation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
He is very honest and up-front. Be in touch with him a lot if you want actual feedback re your protocol. Don't rely only on the nurses. He will not oversee your actual case but if you want him to check something, he will. I think in all of our cycles I only saw him in the ultrasound room once during morning monitoring periods.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
For the egg freezing/retrieval I think he went to highest dose on everything because of my age and other health issues. I was at first freezing eggs as a single woman (with my first doctor, not Licciardi) then embryos with partner for future use (with Licciardi) and eventually thawed the eggs I'd frozen with another doctor (now working with Licciardi) to make those into embryos and did 2 cycles of FET using the eggs from my youngest age. He had me on progesterone shots for one FET cycle, with estradiol pills, even though my cycle is very regular; I was never sure why. And I was on progesterone suppositories for the second FET cycle, no estradiol. I don't remember the egg freezing exactly as it was a few years ago but it was some combination of Gonal-F and Follistim and ovidrel. I know I didn't do the medication that you have to mix together at home when i did the cycle for freezing with him. I'm not really sure of his rationale for the egg freezing -- I guess it's the usual protocol he starts with then adjusts if it doesn't work? For the FET I also didn't know why we were using estradiol when estrogen always normal and I ovulate on my own. Second cycle of FET we tried suppositories because of the pain at my injection site. Also would only transfer one embryo at a time because he said was big risk in having multiples and did NOT recommend PGD or any other biopsy pre implantation. I think he said because egg quality was good. I did have an IUI with letrozole days 3-7 (was supposed to be days 5-9 but there was a miscommunication re what day my period actually started). Also used trigger shot in the morning about 27 hours before IUI. I got pregnant but miscarried around 9 weeks (I had been transferred to OB after heartbeat.) Went back for another IUI two months after miscarriage; not successful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It went relatively smoothly when I was able to be there by 6:45 a.m. Hours don't start till 7 a.m. but like everything in NYC, people get there early and start to line up. When I really needed some sleep and went in a little later, different story. Also, the nurses would ask me for my allergies and what medications I was taking each time even though it was in the computer. I started carrying a list. I think all they cared about was latex but if you have a long list of allergies that you yourself can't remember, it's frustrating to have to recite it every other day. Then sometimes the doctor would make a change of protocol and I wouldn't know why or know that I needed to have my partner there with me for consent forms. It sometimes went flawlessly, other times, not at all so.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU.
First round, years ago, all out of pocket and nearly $20,000 for an egg retrieval and embryo creation (for freezing). Then the clinic went in network and my 2 FET's were covered by insurance but I reached my lifetime maximum fertility benefit with the 2 FET cycles and everything is out of pocket. I haven't gotten the bill for the IUI but looks as if it will cost a couple thousand because of all the morning monitoring. (I never get the home ovulation test kits to work right for me so I chose to have monitoring done at the clinic and I required a lot during the cycle post-miscarriage.)
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
For me, he definitely was set on single embryo transfer and would not even discuss allowing me to have more than one embryo transferred. He would not budge.
NY - 1st Ave
Embryology lab [at NYU] messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. They charged us for the entire amount during the second retrieval only for us to chase them down to say they were in-network with our insurance provider. Nurse failed to call in a couple prescriptions, so we had to follow up on a couple of occasions.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Different parts of the clinic could get on the same page about protocols. Seems like the patient coordinator and nursing staff weren't always communicating the same things - for example, when I can start my FET cycle while waiting my PGS results - patient coordinator said no, nurses said yes - that caused confusion. Some of the preliminary lab test (infectious disease panel bloodwork) fell through the cracks so I had to re-do them. Embryology lab messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. One thing I wished NYU Fertility could have provided is some type of counseling prior to the process and during the process. I'm not talking about psychological support - because they had that, and frankly, we found unhelpful. What I'm talking about is someone who was willing to walk us through what to expect in terms of the various decisions we would have to make, how to think through how many rounds, whether and how to make the tough decision on transferring mosaic embryos, how to manage pregnancy loss, when to call it quits, and someone we can provide feedback to directly (and not just some on-line survey after every procedure), etc. Not just what to expect from a medical perspective, but the impact IvF, FET and mosaic transfers may have emotionally, financially, etc. Someone who acts as an advocate for the patient. At this time, the nurse, patient coordinator, genetic counselor combined fill that role in limited capacities. But as patient, we had to seek that out and connect the dots ourselves. Perhaps this is a resource beyond the clinic's capacity, but that would have been helpful.
I dealt mostly with the nurses and fellows. Some of them were very nurturing, caring, and competent. Others were less so. Depends on who I got. Dr. Berkeley is a very matter-of-fact, analytical doctor. He gives you the straight answers and instill confidence in you that he's competent, experienced and knowledgeable. That is the primary reason why we went with Dr. Berkeley for all of our IvF rounds. His communication skills and bedside manners weren't always as consistent or strong. But we knew that going into the journey not to expect any hand holding of any kind from Dr. Berkeley.
Nurses overall were pretty good. They communicated instructions pretty well and were generally good about returning calls. A couple nurses in particular were outstanding - they were not only competent at their jobs, but patient with listening to and answering all questions, compassionate and caring, which went above and beyond. Sandra, Nicky, and Lavina, were a few of the exceptional nurses; they were really kind, and I appreciated their compassion throughout the process.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley was great in the initial consultation. He was also great at reviewing the probabilities of women my age being able to conceive using my own eggs. He is very knowledgeable and experienced in this field, so we trusted him completely. He knows what he's doing. The only critical feedback I would give Berkeley to date is communicating better with the patient 1) he didn't mention during the initial consultation how many rounds of ovulation induction and retrieval this might take, especially for someone in my age group. 2) Each failed cycle, we would have appreciated a sit-down face-to-face meeting rather than a follow-up phone call. Since the initial consult and the first retrieval, I haven't really met with Berkeley, other than the occasional ultrasound during morning monitoring. Depending on the schedule, I was able to see other doctors at the clinic during morning monitoring, retrievals, transfers, and other procedures. Those other doctors, during my short and limited interactions, especially Grifo and Hodes-Wertz, exhibited greater empathy and compassion, which I viewed as a plus.
Go into your initial consultation fully organized and prepared with any prior lab work, medical history, genetic testing all relevant to fertility. Also, make sure that you get clarity on exactly what blood tests and exams you'll need done or updated prior to starting any cycle; infectious disease panel, day 2-3 labs, semen analysis, mammogram, etc. Also, know that you as patient will have to be the proactive one. You'll have to make tough decisions on how many rounds of IvF you can handle, whether to transfer mosaic embryos (if that is all you have), how many transfers you're wiling to go through, and when to call it quits. I understand why NYU Fertility doesn't proactively nudge you in either direction because they are first and foremost a clinic (not a research lab). But likewise, don't expect any proactive outreachor guidance on whether to continue (unless explicitly advised otherwise) either.
For the first three ovulation inductions, he prescribed 225 Follistim or Gonal F, 150 Menopur, and Ganirelex. For my trigger shot, I had to take 2 Ovidrels. For the fourth ovulation induction, I had the same protocol, except he also added clomid. For the one frozen embryo transfer, I was on estrace, medrol, progesterone in oil injections.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Morning monitoring was open without appointments between 7 AM and 9 AM. For the most part, that seemed fair and reasonable. NYU was good about not having to bring you in unnecessarily. One advice to future patients is if you're going in only for blood work, see if you can move up the queue, because I often waited a long time unnecessarily just to give one vile of blood. You get mixed in with the rest of the patients waiting for ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
Each IvF cycle for Phase 1 - that includes ovulation induction, morning monitoring, egg retrieval (not including Anesthesia), biopsy of up to 6 embryos (for PGS purposes), cryopreservation of embryos and transportation costs to reprogenetics lab was $15,150, out of pocket. The Phase 2 - which is the frozen embryo transfer as part of this IvF cycle was $2000 out of pocket. After our second IvF cycle, NYU began to accept our insurance, which helped with bringing down our costs. However, our insurance did not cover biopsy, shipping/handling of samples. Reprogenetics, the lab that performs the PGS tests, had their own fees, which were all out of pocket. We were charged $1000 base fee, plus $250 per embryo.
I was strongly advised by Dr. Berkeley, given my age, to do PGS and aim for a single embryo transfer.
9 Eggs Frozen
It [NYU Fertility] is a busy clinic. It's like the DMV. Take a number and you will be called. Packed to the gills!...Autumn is awesome. She is very compassionate, patient and sweet. I really like her as my coordinator...10k for the procedure/labs/sonograms (all those included under the number), about 10k for all the meds(depending on how your body responds to her treatment plan with meds can make cheaper or more expensive), 1200-1400 for anesthesiologist for egg retrieval
9 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with NYU.
It is a busy clinic. It's like the DMV. Take a number and you will be called. Packed to the gills!
She was very candid about her own personal life. She made me feel like she could relate to my plight of being a physician, busy, hard working and having not met the right man yet. She was very forthright about her own struggles as a female physician. I felt like she understood me and didn't judge me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Autumn Arroyo)
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
I felt she showed compassion on my initial visits. My first retrieval yielded 7 eggs. My second only 2. When I came out of moderate sedation, i was very tearful that only 2 eggs had been retrieved. In their make shift PACU she seemed rushed and didn't really console me. I guess she was busy, but it did put me off a bit with her. I also didn't feel like she really adjusted my hormone dosages the second time to yield more eggs. I felt like she kept the same protocol sh had for my first retrieval. I wish she would have altered it and maybe I would have gotten more eggs.
She is very open with sharing her own personal stories, but she isn't warm and fuzzy. If you are looking for warm and fuzzy, you won't get that from her.
She used Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelex
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
A cattle call. So many women there waiting for labs and sono. Very busy!
NY - 1st Ave
Overall, the nurses [at NYU] were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring....I went about an hour into the monitoring hours, after the morning rush but before the latecomers. I don't think I waited more than 15 minutes any morning. Very efficient.... NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself.
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is top center. It may have been overwhelming for us if it was the first stop on our fertility journey. By the time we got to NYU, we were reassured to be in a place with top doctors and labs, and were fine with not having the amenities of a concierge practice. If you are just starting out and using NYU it may be more challenging, though I would still recommend them. We had a consult in another top clinic, and we found NYU to be a lot more caring and small-feel despite its prominence.
The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear. His caring demeanor continued throughout our treatment. When he spoke with us, he explained his recommendations and patiently answered our many questions.
We dealt with many nurses and there was only one we didn't care for. Overall, the nurses were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring. Again, NYU is a large clinic and it is important when dealing with so many different people that you are your own advocate and make sure the nurse you are speaking with is aware of the full picture.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout. We were not from NY, and Dr. Licciardi worked with us, to enable us to do part of our cycle with my local Dr. Dr. Licciardi does lecture around the world so he is not always in the office, but even when traveling his staff can usually reach him,
Ask questions. He offers the information the average person wants to hear, but if you are like me and want to understand all the details, ask him to elaborate. He will, and he will explain it clearly until you are satisfied. Also, you can't separate him from the NYU, the clinic that he practices in - NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself. However, we were happy with almost all the nurses and staff there and always knew we could go directly to Dr. Licciardi with questions or concerns.
We had MF (low sperm count) and FF (PCOS). We came to Dr. Licciardi after having done a surgery for MF, monitored cycles and IUIs and having had one miscarrigae. We knew we wanted to move on to IVF. Dr. Licciardi recommended a basic IVF protocol - gonal-f, PIO, ganirelix, doxycycline, ovidrel trigger - as our medical presentation made us good candidates for a basic cycle. Thankfully, he was right. We were able to transfer 1 fresh embryo, and froze 5 all of which were BB or above. We failed the fresh cycle - I believe my body was just too traumatized from all the meds of the cycle. We took a month break and came back for a FET, which was successful.
12,600 for IVF cycle + 3000 for ICSI + 1000(?) for embryo storage
From what I understand, Dr. Licciardi feels strongly that it is safer to transfer one embryo, and rarely recommends transferring multiple. We discussed this at length with him prior to our FET, and ultimately trusted his judgment and transferred one.
NY - 1st Ave
The clinic [NYU] is well organized however, because it is big, there are sometimes miscommunications especially between the medical team and accountability. I would advise to take the time to sit down with one of the accountants to discuss with them the financial side of the treatment and have them fully inquire about your medical coverage. I wish I had a better understanding of my coverage when I started. I think I would have made slightly different medical decisions...The clinic welcomes a lot of patients per day and, while everyone is friendly, they don't have time to get personal. The nurses are your primary interlocutors so they do know you better and they do their best to listen to your worries but sometimes it felt like they did not have the time nor the energy to sooth your worries and anxieties.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is well organized however, because it is big, there are sometimes miscommunications especially between the medical team and accountability. I would advise to take the time to sit down with one of the accountants to discuss with them the financial side of the treatment and have them fully inquire about your medical coverage. I wish I had a better understanding of my coverage when I started. I think I would have made slightly different medical decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carole)
The nurses and the nursing staff have to deal with a lot of patient. While they try their best to have time for each patient, it is not always easy. I remember being really upset after my second Clomid cycle did not work and I discovered I had 2 cyctes and the nurse not being very compassionate about it... like she did not know what to do. I am sure it was not the first time, a woman cried in their office. I was surprised to see how they poorly dealt with it.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley is not an easy man to reach but when you have an appointment with him, he takes all the time you need to explain every details of the treatment options and answers patiently all your questions. He never made me feel like my questions were stupid or like I am wasting his time. He is compassionate and understanding.
Don't hesitate to ask for an appointment with him and don't hesitate to ask questions. He likes to share his knowledge. If you have an urgent question on your treatment, I would go through the nurse though.
Because I am an SMC, I had to do 6 natural IUIs before my insurance would kick in. After that I started with medicalized IUIs. I took Clomid from Day 4 to 8 twice but had serious side effect. I therefore refused to take it again and asked for another option. I am now taking Letrozol from day 4 to 8 and Ovridel to trigger the ovulation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
Around $500 for a natural cycle IUI and I think around $1200 for an IUI with monitoring and medication
NY - 1st Ave
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds...The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind...Despite the size and being part of an academic institution, I never felt like a number at NYU. My treatments were so customized and the Drs and nurses so personal, I felt like they really knew me. The technology was also great; iPads to sign in quickly, online secure emails and online videos to help w/ injections.
Describe your experience with NYU.
From the initial visit, it was clear Dr. Grifo was different. He was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure; can you even imagine a pioneer of IVF feeling like this, let alone admitting it? He made me and my husband feel hopeful, but again he utilized data to explain his beliefs and confidence. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily (this was certainly not the case at the prior clinic where we went through three, unsuccessful egg retrievals. The nurses were supremely confident, down to earth and competent. Furthermore, I felt like they were rooting for me and knew me. The Dr who performed the transfer (not Grifo) was incredible; she was realistic, yet optimistic and spoke to me like a real human (not just #7 transfer today).
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds. I have to be at work by 8am and going to NYU on the East side would've been very stressful. The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr Grifo was transparent from the get go about our chances of success. He used data regularly to supplement his commentary. He was so, so human and made us feel like heroes for undertaking IVF, as opposed to failures who couldn't conceive. He shared his own story of infertility and all of the associated feelings. I felt so comfortable from that first visit; I was depressed, angry and confused, and Dr Grifo was understanding of each of these emotions and offered suggestions to help. He never made me feel like just a number. He was patient in person and by phone, always answering our questions and personalizing his advice.
Go sooner rather than later.
While at first my protocol looked similar to the prior clinic we'd used for 3 rounds of eggs retrievals (all unsuccessful), I quickly saw that NYU was different. The nurses and Drs were constantly evaluating and tweaking my dosage. I took clomid pills, menapur injections, ganerilex injections and double trigger shots. For the transfer there was vaginal and oral estogren pills, as well as other injections. I produced 21 eggs for retrieval, 3 survived until day 5 and 2 tested normal w/ PGS. We transferred 1 embryo and I'm due to have a baby in less than 6 weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
Dr Grifo did not accept my primary insurance (Cigna) but did take my secondary (UHC). Many things were covered, but this was our fourth egg retrieval in 1 calendar year so we didn't have a lot of coverage left. Out of pocket was ICSI and PGS, and they charged you in advance and refunded the difference (if fewer embryos made/tested).
We had 2 PGS tested embryos at the end of the retrieval and asked Dr Grifo his thoughts on transferring both. He strongly preferred transferring one, saying odds for pregnancy wouldn't increase w/ 2 and given my age (39) why risk both taking and having an even higher risk pregnancy. His rationale was, would you be more upset to not have a 3rd child or lose both and not get the 2nd you've been trying for all this time.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
They [NYU] are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant...I was seen in 2 different offices. The smaller west side office on W 52nd Street was wonderful. The team is small and very friendly. When I called or came in to the office they knew exactly who I was. I also had to go to the main NYU Fertility center on 1st Ave for blood work and ultrasounds. At the main facility I was just a number. They are incredibly efficient and move people through quickly, but it means that each time I saw different people and to them I was just a name on a piece of paper.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with NYU.
They are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
The NYU Fertility Center nursing staff is amazing. After each visit I received a follow up call within 24 hours with test results and instructions on next steps. They were all very warm, informative, and efficient over the phone. I talked to nurses more regularly than seeing them.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
I only saw Dr. Hodes-Wertz 3 times during my treatment, but found her to be very informative with good bedside manner. After our first meeting with her we felt very confident that she knew what she was doing and we were in good hands.
Be prepared to work with her team more than her.
I came to Dr. Hodes-Wertz with PCOS. I was not ovulating and my parter had sub-optimal sperm. I was put on a dosage of Letrozole. The first dosage wasn't enough, but an increased dosage got me ovulating. We were able to use a washed sample of my partner's sperm to do IUI. The whole process was very quick and efficient - only 3.5 weeks from my first visit with Dr. Hodes until the IUI. The IUI was successful and I am now 7 weeks pregnant with twins!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz accepted my insurance so I had minimal out of pocket costs. Most of my co-pays were for bloodwork and tests.
NY - W 52nd
I thought that the clinic [NYU] felt like a total factory...you will not have a personal relationship with your doctor- it is a big place and you will be thrown into the system- you will deal with a different person each time that you go in...I had some doctors who were cold and not helpful and did not explain things to me and made me feel dumb about questions or scheduling etc...the phone system sucked, it took me weeks to schedule a phone appointment.
Describe your experience with NYU.
I thought that the clinic felt like a total factory- I think that if you want to go in and get IVF then thats what they do- thats what they are comfortable doing. That said you will not have a personal relationship with your doctor- it is a big place and you will be thrown into the system- you will deal with a different person each time that you go in- if your ok with that then you should go for it- that sort of attitude was not for me- I had some doctors who were cold and not helpful and did not explain things to me and made me feel dumb about questions or scheduling etc. My actual doctor on the other hand was great when I could arrange a time to meet wither her ( they did not encourage in person but rather phone calls) I was never able to email her directly only thru her assistant which I found insulting and found that other friends of mine did not have that experience at other clinics. Their phone system was bonkers and it was rare to have a person at the clinic pick up the phone instead you have to go thru this long phone system and call center to leave a message- then when they would finally leave a message it would be from a non working number that you could not call back and then would have to call the service again and wait another 3 hours-
When I actually talked to Dr.Fino she was great on the phone and respected my approach to getting pregnant. That said it was difficult to reach her, the phone system sucked, it took me weeks to schedule a phone appointment. And it felt like a system that was not humanly compassionate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
I dont remember who was who- but the people taking blood where nice- main nurse that I worked with was super responsible in returning phone calls and calling in results-
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
As a patient I met her once- after that I was thrown into the NYU system. I can't really rate her as I was her patient because I hardly ever dealt with her at all- when I would finally be able to pin her down on the phone I had good clear candid conversations with her- I think she was clear and understood my perspective and honored that- but I did not get any sort of follow up from her and no human communication- even when I got pregnant-
Be extremely persistent in regards to communication- she will not follow up it is really on you to make extra phone calls and demand calls back and time to talk to her about issues you may have
I only wanted to use IUI as my insurance would not cover anything else- so she helped facilitate that and believed that there were quite a few options with in the IUI cycle that may work for me- so if Clomid wasn't working we could go down a different road in the IUI system. I felt this was really helpful and I really appreciated that she did not push IVF which I was opposed to
$1k
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Other
[NYU runs] Like a factory; limited interaction with doctors. Not for those who need their hand held. However, well oiled machine that seems to be working well...Rarely had the same one [nurse] twice; however, all were kind and intelligent. Always received a call back promptly from a nurse when I left a voicemail with the clinic...[monitoring appts] 7-9am. If you get there early, you should be seen within 15-30 minutes. Restrictive hours, though....$15.5k for cycle with PGS, $3k for meds and $5k for PGS
Investor
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with NYU.
When I spoke directly with Doctor Fino (after my first cycle ended and I received my PGS results), I found her to be helpful, understanding and willing to go into as much detail as I needed. I felt more like a number during the cycle itself, going into the clinic and seeing a different doctor each time and receiving a call from a different nurse each time. I found it difficult to get in touch with Doctor Fino without scheduling a call a week out.
Rarely had the same one twice; however, all were kind and intelligent. Always received a call back promptly from a nurse when I left a voicemail with the clinic.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
My interaction with her was limited other than determining a plan of action pre- and post-cycle. I never doubted her abilities, but did not have direct contact with her during the course of treatment to explain why certain decisions around timing and hormone levels were being made.
Understand that you will not see her directly or be able to access her directly during cycles, but rest assured that the clinic is a well oiled machine.
First time was typically 300 Follistim and 150 Menapur. For this current cycle, starting an estrogen patch a week before beginning injections to stabilize my estrogen levels and hopefully generate eggs that are more consistent (14 eggs retrieved last time, but many were too mature or too young).
$15.5k for cycle with PGS, $3k for meds and $5k for PGS
Strongly encouraged to do single.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The nursing staff [at NYU] was very efficient and compassionate. My only complaint is there is no direct phone number to reach them at, you always have to leave a message and they will call you back... I found the monitoring hours (early morning) totally manageable. Weekends were more crowded, but sometimes I was seen right away...To check in during morning monitoring hours, you check in at a computer. I actually like this set-up, but some people think its impersonal. I did not mind and actually thought it was quite efficient.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with NYU.
When my husband and I met with Dr. Grifo, we had been trying to conceive for over 2 years. We had had several miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, and failed FETs. We were completely heartbroken and full of despair. Dr. Grifo was immediately empathetic, but realistic. He does not have the "God" complex that I found other IVF doctors had. He is incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. HIs staff was very professional as well.
The nursing staff was very efficient and compassionate. My only complaint is there is no direct phone number to reach them at, you always have to leave a message and they will call you back.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo's strengths: his success rate, his expertise, his compassion. The only weakness is that it's hard to get in touch with him directly and sometimes his assistant does not respond for a few days.
Ask as many questions as you need to. Tell him how important it is for you that HE himself monitors your daily appointments. Listen to his advice, whether good or bad. He does not say things just to be nice, if he thinks you are progressively positiviely, you are!
I cannot recall the medications I took, but I did do an endometrial scratch and we did do PGS.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
My job and home schedule is flexible. I found the monitoring hours (early morning) totally manageable. Weekends were more crowded, but sometimes I was seen right away. I was fine with it.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
NYU is a large clinic, and I know that many people feel like they're just a number. My attitude is the clinic is large for a reason - it's one of the best clinics in the area, perhaps the country. I typically visited the 52nd St location, which is much smaller, and I was able to get to know the staff there. When I visited the main location on 1st Ave, it was definitely busy, but it's run like a well-oiled machine...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with NYU.
Dr. Hodes had to delivery very bad news to me, but she did so in the kindest, most professional manner. Despite the bad news and possibly poor prognosis, she came up with a treatment plan that accounted for my unique circumstances. Throughout the course of my treatment, Dr. Hodes continued to communicate with me throughout the course of my treatment. After our first IVF cycle failed, she took the time to speak with us about what happened and how we would adjust our plan for the next cycle. I felt like she truly cared about me as a person.
I did not really get to know any one nurse particularly well. NYU is a large practice so there are many nurses on staff. I communicated with many nurses, and I found just about all of them to be compassionate and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Dr. Hodes was by my side during the lowest point of my life, and I don't know how I would have gotten through that time without her. She was honest with the chances of success, but she never wavered in her commitment to my case. I was not an "easy" case and the odds for success were not in my favor, but I felt safe and cared for in Dr. Hodes' care. She always took the time to explain things to me and answer all of my questions.
I would caution prospective patients not to be turned off my the fact tha tDr. Hodes is not as I experienced as some of the other REs at NYU. It is true that she has not been practicing for decades, but what she lacks in experience, she makes up for in knowledge, compassion, and commitment to her patients. I never questioned that I was in extremely capable hands.
Diagnosis: diminished ovarian reserve plus both tubes removed 1st cycle: Agonist (300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur + Cetrotide) - 7 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 0 fertilized 2nd cycle: Agonist (300 Gonal F, 300 Menopur+ Clomid + Cetrotide) + ICSI - 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred on day 5 - resulted in singleton pregnancy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
Insurance covered almost everything for me (most of medication cost plus $25K lifetime max for treatment). I think a single IVF cycle runs about $12,500 (plus additional costs - e.g., ICSI, biopsy for PGS).
NY - W 52nd
A round of IVF [at NYC] was $18,500. Since we had a lot of embryos and did PGS testing and an FET, that added on about $10k more in cost...The clinic treats you a little like a number – which was to be expected at a large clinic like that...The nursing staff was proficient and experienced. They did not seem particularly compassionate or personal. More just about business and trying to be efficient, which was ok with me, because there were a lot of people to get through in the mornings. It would have been nice if they'd introduced themselves when they called your name or drew your blood.
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is a world-class facility. I personally don't care if it feels like a farm or you're treated as a number – they have a lot of people to get through, and all I care about is that they're effective and successful, which they are. I would recommend anyone to NYU.
Dr. Licciardi treated us like humans, but we only met with him once and only spoke on the phone a few times regarding results after that. The clinic treats you a little like a number – which was to be expected at a large clinic like that, so it did not bother me.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
We found Dr. Licciardi to be smart, experienced and to the point. I would recommend him without hesitation, but perhaps not to someone who wants a doctor to be extremely warm and compassionate and hold their hand throughout the process. I wouldn't say that Dr. L was NOT warm or compassionate, but I also wouldn't call him a warm & fuzzy doctor. That was not important to us – we only wanted a doctor who was very experienced with a track record of success – so we were very happy with him.
Ask blunt questions and expect him to be straightforward with you.
I don't remember specific medications or dosages. We stared the regular way (I believe I had a gonal F pen), but I reacted strongly to the meds and needed to be seen daily for monitoring and given the antagonist drugs fairly soon in my cycle (I believe it was Ganirelix).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
There were a lot of people, but it ran like a well-oiled machine. You could go anytime between 7 and 9am, which was nice for some flexibility, but the later you got there, the longer the wait would be. If you arrived during the first half hour, there was basically no wait.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU.
A round of IVF was $18,500. Since we had a lot of embryos and did PGS testing and an FET, that added on about $10k more in cost.
The NYU practice strongly recommends a single transfer, especially with PGS embryos. You would have to override their recommendation to transfer multiple embryos.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids
The [NYU Fertility] location is a bit of a pain - all the way on 1st Ave - but otherwise great. A large waiting room that is usually pretty empty. The staff is lovely and it's all well organized. Because it is part of NYU all the outside testing and procedures are done within a few blocks and there is no added time to schedule things, get test back, etc.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with NYU.
The location is a bit of a pain - all the way on 1st Ave - but otherwise great. A large waiting room that is usually pretty empty. The staff is lovely and it's all well organized. Because it is part of NYU all the outside testing and procedures are done within a few blocks and there is no added time to schedule things, get test back, etc.
I knew from the moment I called to make my first appointment that I would like the practice. They were thorough and helpful and remembered me (and my multiple phone calls) when I came in.
Patient and kind, and funny - which always helps.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
I really like Dr. Berkley. I had seem Dr. Stein at RMA before and found him to be on the cold side and he jumped right to IVF as my only option. Dr. Berkley on the other hand was compationate and thorough. Spent almost an hour chatting with me about all of my options and recommended that we explore several less invasive (and less expensive) options first. He explained a great deal about infertility and made the whole process easier to understand. he spoke to me like a person and his equal and never made me fell silly about even my most basic questions. He ordered tests that were needs and did In face uncover some medical issues I didn't even know about - specially scars tissue in uterus from a D&C. I would recommend him to everyone.
Ask all of your questions. He is so thorough and knowledgeable and speaks to you in way that makes it easy to understand. So be sure to bring a list!
At my initial visit he did an internal ultrasound and took blood to determine egg quantity and quality. He then had me do the X-ray of my uterus which showed scar tissue. I then had a Hysteroscopy to have it removed. I am now starting clomid and IUI
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
IUI is covered by my insurance and so far I have only had deductible charges. They are high, but that is because of my insurance. But they are very upfront about costs before any tests or procedures
2011 - 2015
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
The nursing staff [at NYU - 1st Ave] was good and was responsive to calls...The clinicians have a lot of experience and know their stuff. But if you are looking for a place where you receive emotional support, this may not be the place for you. I did not need it as I had no issues. I froze my eggs.... I will say that Dr Noyes assistant, Jarlin, is really nice and caring... For one IFV cycle, one icsi and one implementation cost me about $22,000. In addition, I paid another $3,000 for PGS testing.
2011 - 2015
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinicians have a lot of experience and know their stuff. But if you are looking for a place where you receive emotional support, this may not be the place for you. I did not need it as I had no issues. I froze my eggs. I had twenty seven eggs in one cycle. When I wanted to get pregnant, I was successful on the first try. I will say that Dr Noyes assistant, Jarlin, is really nice and caring.
I was very lucky and had a successful egg cycle and transfer. Dr Noyes was on target, predicting that she would be able to get over 20 eggs in a cycle and they retrieved 27 eggs. She was very practical and helpful in determining how to proceed when I decided to conceive. She is a good diagnostician. She is also blunt, funny and a little wacky. But if you are struggling and need a bit of hand hand holding, I am not sure Dr. Noyes is the doctor for you.
The nursing staff was good and was responsive to calls.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
Dr Noyes is a competent doctor and is a good diagnostician. She was on target with her predictions. Her demeanor is not for everyone. She is blunt and some people take offense at her bluntness. I appreciated it and had no fertility issues (I froze and when I was ready I conceived) so it worked for me. But I am not sure if I were looking for hand holding that she would be the first doctor to whom I would go.
She is skilled doctor and knows her stuff. But do not expect a warm and fuzzy doctor.
I had one cycle and folistom was the primary medicine used. My trigger shot was changed at the end to Lupron to avoid overstimulation.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
You had to go in between 7-9;00 am in the morning. I suppose if I had an issue, I could have asked for a special appointment. But I did not have occasion to.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU.
My exams before the egg freezing cycle and before I decided to get pregnant were covered as were my visits after I became pregnant. My medications for the freezing cycle and for pregnancy were covered. The rest was not. For one IFV cycle, one icsi and one implementation cost me about $22,000. In addition, I paid another $3,000 for PGS testing.
I think my doctor's approach was dead on. She recommended PGS and after the results, she recommended a single embryo transfer. Given the problems, I have seen with twins, particularly with older women-I would highly recommend this approach.
IVF, Donor Eggs
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with NYU.
There is no question that NYU is a busy practice, but their focus is on billing patients (you check into billing before you are seen every single time you go to the office), not on patient care. The nurse didn't call in my prescriptions before my cycle. I had one physician whose name I can't remember who was counting my follicles during my first and only stim cycle. It was a disaster. While she read my ultrasound results, I asked innocently, "Is that bad?" and she answered flippantly, "Well, it's not good." As well, it took over 1 year and 4 months to hear back from the donor egg program. Although I really liked my physician, you rarely see or speak to your main physician. This is common with most fertility practices. What is not common? NYU's lack of basic patient care.
We really like Dr. Berkeley (he's knowledgeable, and has a great bedside manner) but the staff at NYU is a disaster. Before every appointment we had to check into billing before being seen. We felt as if we were treated like cattle at every appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Shelley Lee)
Once it became clear that I would not be able to conceive on my own, we were transferred to the donor egg program. We never spoke to Autumn Arroyo, who we were told was the donor egg program coordinator. Instead, we had a meeting with a psychologist, Shelley Lee. During our mandatory meeting, Dr. Lee repeatedly mispronounced my family's country of origin. She said, given my ethnic heritage it would take at least 6 months to find a donor for me. We waited 6 months, and didn't hear from NYU's program. After waiting 8 months, I made an appointment with another fertility clinic. I finally heard from Dr. Lee 1 year and 4 months after our appointment. During that time period, I became pregnant on my own, had a miscarriage, and found another donor at much more organized and caring program. (They even found a donor who shared my Caribbean heritage.) My new team displayed a kindness, and sympathy that I didn't receive under NYU's care. 1 year and 4 months when you are desperately trying to conceive is inexcusably long. Fortunately, I found another clinic that treated me as an individual and not a case file.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Again, Dr. Berkeley is a fantastic physician, but NYU's program is simply awful. After a failed cycle, we were told our only hope was a donor egg cycle. It took 1 year and 4 months before we heard from the donor program. By that time, we had switched clinics.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Some days it was like a factory in there [NYU]. Unless you had the same nurse drawing your blood each morning or saw the same doctor every morning you were a number. It wasn't until I had complications with the IVF that I became a human...When my husband and I were given all of the information about Tammy specific treatment it was reviewed by a nurse in a room with other couples. I saw dr liccardi infrequently during treatment. He did not do my transfer or retreval.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Some days it was like a factory in there. Unless you had the same nurse drawing your blood each morning or saw the same doctor every morning you were a number. It wasn't until I had complications with the IVF that I became a human
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
I ended up hospitalized with severe OHSS but was able to maintain a healthy pregnancy.... I saw Dr Liccardi when I first went to the clinic and spoke to him numerous times before my course of treatment. When my husband and I were given all of the information about Tammy specific treatment it was reviewed by a nurse in a room with other couples. I saw dr liccardi infrequently during treatment. He did not do my transfer or retreval. He did however play a more active role in my care once I was full of fluid- and eventually hospitalized. ... this should never have happened.
He is a great doctor but demand more personalized care. Do your homework and ask all the questions you need. Be sure that your comfortable with your course of treatment
I decided to do IVF w dr liccardi after trying clomid pills for many months with my Obgyn. Dr liccardi felt strongly that an IUI or IVF cycle would work very well for me. We went with IVF (insurance covered one round) my treatment included the HCG trigger shot. (Looking back- This should not have been part of my treatment) treatment was fine. I was a "chicken with 18 eggs" as one of the doctors told me. Retreval was a breeze. When it came to transfer I told the current doctor I was feeling incredibly bloated, uncomfortable etc... he told me since I had no weight gain it was normal since 18 eggs were remove. I proceeded with the transfer. Shortly after (a day or two)I found myself short of breathe and when I lied down it felt as if I was drowning..... turns out I was pregnant but I also had OHSS. I was hospitalized for a few nights. I had a lung tap, multiple stomach drains in dr liccardi office, another ER visit w another. Lung tap and yet another stomach drain. I gained a ton of weight due to fluids. Somehow I was able to maintain the pregnancy and today I have a healthy boy
Frederick Licciardi
Somewhere in the range of $15,000 for IVF with ICSA. and Around $5000 for transferring of eggs after...[NYU] strengths: cutting edge medicine, staff that could never be outdone, environment that is comforting weaknesses: unfortunately they are located on a busy side of Manhattan so the outside atmosphere is hustle and bustle, and the total opposite of the inside... this is in no way a reflection on the clinic/staff.... just a reality to the future patients that go there that you need a plan for parking for monitoring and other time consuming visits.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Both my wife and I had been through a cycle before that was unsuccessful. Dr. Berkley was able to answer questions that were difficult ones to answer with a sense of care, compassion and knowledge like he has been down this road before and knows what to expect.
Efficient, respectful and caring to us every morning (and they were EARLY mornings!) They were ready to get the best job done at ~6:45am every day we were there and were attentive to our emotional needs as well.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley knows what he is doing. He is a veteran that is VERY up to date on the latest protocols and procedures. His office is equipped with all that he would ever need to stay on top of current trends and successful procedures. But more important than that, his bedside manner gives you confidence that you have somebody in your corner to even the odds when you feel like everything is against you.
Only go to Dr. Berkeley when you are absolutely ready to commit yourself to doing whatever it would take to have children. He will help until he absolutely can't and than some!
I really can't remember the details of the protocols, but having come from another "specialist" in fertility medicine, his protocol was radically more aggressive and did involve more of a hormone therapy approach that was sure to bring results. He stayed on top of our case and was always available within the day to get back to us with any questions we had for him. The end result was after one unsuccessful implantation (second in total of trying to conceive) we now have a beautiful child who keeps us on our toes (thank G-d).
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Nursing staff was great... Always called back right away with answers to my questions and very thorough and efficient during morning monitoring....they do rely on the fellows a lot though. During my IUIs, I was only monitored once by an attending and during IVF monitoring, I'd say it was 50/50. But the fellows took more time with me and were more thorough in answering my questions.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Well oiled machine. Excellent doctors and nursing staff. The only area that I wouldn't rate a 10 is the billing staff. Had to follow up when I had questions about insurance, etc.
Dr Grifo was empathic and kind in his bedside manner and approach. He was available to speak to us when necessary, happened to be the attending when we had our retrieval and made himself available to us to do our transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU.
Nursing staff was great. Team oriented but my nurse was he one I called with specific questions. Always called back right away with answers to my questions and very thorough and efficient during morning monitoring.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
We loved Dr Grifo. He was upfront with us and extremely empathetic abut our case. He knows what he is doing and is confident in his approach, which turned out to be the right one for us-- we got pregnant on the first try. He made sure we were fully educated every step of the way. He was understanding and supportive of my anxieties in the operating room at the hospital and during treatments at the fertility center.
He's a busy doctor. It's not always easy to speak to him right away, but he will see you or set up time to talk to you if you are willing to wait a week or so. When I had a question that was easily answered by email, he answered through his assistant quickly. But when I needed treatment, he was right on it. When I needed minor surgery, he scheduled me for surgery two days after diagnosis and he did the surgery himself.
Gonadotropin antagonist protocol using Gonal F, Menopour and Ganirelix with a Lupron trigger mixed with A small amount of HCG. 22 eggs retrieved, 16 embryos created, 11 at day 6. 3 PGS normal. One transfered. Positive.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Extremely efficient. The only time I had to wait longer than 5 minutes was the day after a big snowstorm. Otherwise, i was always in and out within 15-20 minutes. they do rely on the fellows a lot though. During my IUIs, I was only monitored once by an attending and during IVF monitoring, I'd say it was 50/50. But the fellows took more time with me and were more thorough in answering my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
With in-network insurance, IVF plus frozen transfer was around 10 and PGS was about 2-3k additional. (Not including the PGS lab)
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
NYU is huge and you have to be proactive at times to get the communication you need. But the doctors and resources are tremendous... Monitoring is an efficient cattle-call. I loved being in and out before work. When I moved out of the area and traveled in for a cycle they accommodated me during non-monitoring hours when it was mor convenient for me.
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
Dr. Fino takes the time to really explain things and spoke to me like I was an intelligent grown-up. I felt like a partner in my own treatment. She was also open to considering ideas I had researched myself, which was wonderful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Nancy McGoff)
The donor nurses are great (at least as of Fall 2015).
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
Dr. Fino is an extremely intelligent and humane doctor who is well-versed in the latest research. She is collaborative and not paternalistic. At NYU you definitely don't see your doctor every visit but I always knew she was looking out for me. Dr. Fino let me try IVF with my own eggs three times even though my results were always atrocious (bad eggs). When I switched to donor eggs my donor had her best cycle ever and I'm on my second successful pregnancy from that cycle.
If you have a question that the nurses can't answer, don't be afraid to call Dr. Fino's office directly.
3 different IVF protocols with some additional adjustments to see if we could make my eggs work -- there was one we didn't try but by that time I was over it and wanted to move on to donor eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU.
I can't remember the exact price of the cycles but they are pretty upfront about the costs.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The billing department [at NYU Fertility] was extremely transparent and professional. The nursing team was extremely kind and available for questions and follow-up when needed. The office was very well organized and I never felt forgotten or overlooked.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The billing department was extremely transparent and professional. The nursing team was extremely kind and available for questions and follow-up when needed. The office was very well organized and I never felt forgotten or overlooked. My doctor was kind and caring, took his time during examinations and consultations and was always available for questions. He was honest and practical, and did not push more serious interventions before I was ready for them.
They were friendly! Such a difference from my last clinic and so important as you see them every morning.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
I came to Dr. Grifo after having a bad experience at another, very highly renowned practice in NYC. I felt like a number in that office, from the way the billing office and office managers dealt with me, to the nurses whom I saw each morning and even my own doctor. I felt that my doctor had a terrible bedside manner and moved me very quickly through the process with little regard to my feelings or what I was ready for. When I came to Dr. Grifo, I was upset and confused, and he very clearly communicated to me my situation, how difficult it is for anyone (not just the 'infertile') to get pregnant, and how it is important to give it time, but also to be smart about it and maximize your chances for a healthy pregnancy, using all of the available data that we have. My other doctor had seen me through one chemical pregnancy, one frozen embryo transfer which failed, and suggested that I seek surrogacy options immediately. I felt as though she was speaking more to her numbers than me as a patient, and a person.
Make an appointment as early as possible! It can take a few months to get a new patient appointment.
Day 2 starter - Follistim (start w 300 units) / menopur (start w 150 units) with daily blood tests and ultrasound HCG ovulation trigger The first cycle with Dr. Grifo was a success.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Visit windows were 7 - 9 am, so convenient for me. If you needed to get in quickly, you could arrive before 7 am and be seen very soon. Not too crowded, efficient process.
10 - 15k
6 Eggs Frozen
[NYU Fertility] staff was very professional and attentive, very keen for detail and always took care of any issues and addressed any concerns right away. I was surprises to learn that my phone calls can be answered so quickly...I never had to wait for longer than few minutes to be seem, despite the large volume of patients treated by this facility. I have ben seen by different Providers during my monitoring cycle, yet the communication between all staff was superb.
6 Eggs Frozen
I was impressed with efficiency and attention to detail from all the staff, superb communication between every level of care, Doctors, Nurse, Secretarial staff. My issues were always addressed very promptly, everyone placed a great afford to make me feel that I was taken care of. All staff was unbelievablely helpful and supportive. Unfortunately, I expected much better outcomes - (more eggs to be retrieved) All the labs looked great, however it turned out that many of the follicles were empty/or filled with fluid instead of mature eggs. Besides the costly price, I would definately use same facility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Shantel)
Compared to all other staff, nurses, care coordinators, My Care-coordinator-Shantel did not impressed me with her care. It was someone difficult to get through to her, get her call returned or my questions answered prompt. Whenever answered, was dry and cold with responses. However, other staff quickly covered, stepped in and addressed all my issues. If I could not get a hold of Shantel, someone else helped me right away regardless of the complexity of issues.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Experience was very satisfactory. Staff was very professional and attentive, very keen for detail and always took care of any issues and addressed any concerns right away. I was surprises to learn that my phone calls can be answered so quickly. Very efficient communication between staff, any issue or questions raised with one staff, always been addressed and responded by appropriate party without initiating same concern twice. I was very impressed with the efficiency and precision NYU Firtility clinic ran. I never had to wait for longer than few minutes to be seem, despite the large volume of patients treated by this facility. I have ben seen by different Providers during my monitoring cycle, yet the communication between all staff was superb. They knew exactly where we left off and where to pick-up and where to go next. Very impressed. No regrets. Only wish it would be cheaper procedure. My results were not as great as I expected, however in the process I found out that I have a medical condition that would make it hard for me to conceive naturally and egg Freezing was a great decision on my part. Hopefully some day it will be worth all the expenses.
I don't think I can think of any at this time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
IT ran very efficiently and quick. Due to my work, I was the one frequently being tardy for my blood work and US-monitoring, yet I never felt uncomfortable for creating inconvenience to the rest of staff. Always been treated kindly, with respect and well taken care of. Not once anyone made me feel guilty for running late, yet I never had to wait for more then few minutes to be seen.
NY - 1st Ave
NYU is affiliated with a teaching hospital and presumably has a commensurate lab, so that provides comfort. But it is impersonal. Impersonal is ok for the dentist's office, but not a fertility clinic...I mostly dealt with Carol or Andrea and wasn't assigned a specific nurse. At NYU, nurses are really the only point people available to patients on a predictable basis. All calls are returned by a nurse (not a doctor), and in fact, a nurse did my actual IUI.
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is affiliated with a teaching hospital and presumably has a commensurate lab, so that provides comfort. But it is impersonal. Impersonal is ok for the dentist's office, but not a fertility clinic. I wound up leaving to go to a smaller, more personalized clinic where my treatment felt more tailored and where I had a name.
NYU's clinic is crowded. I met Dr. Berkeley at my consult when he "became" my doctor. But I never saw him again or heard from him again throughout my cycle.
I mostly dealt with Carol or Andrea and wasn't assigned a specific nurse. At NYU, nurses are really the only point people available to patients on a predictable basis. All calls are returned by a nurse (not a doctor), and in fact, a nurse did my actual IUI. The nurses were generally pleasant but when my short-lived pregnancy turned out not to be viable, I thought they could have done better. The nurse who called me to inform me that my HCG levels were declining was a nurse I had never met or spoken to before, and she let me know via voicemail about my declining HCG level and that I should come back on in several days for bloodwork and an ultrasound. I reached out to Evelyn Arroyo (I think she's Dr. Berkeley's assistant) about this (which required me to go behind the system a bit) and said I'd like to speak to a doctor about this - particularly Dr. Fino since she has seen me for the past 2 times. I did not receive a call back from either Dr. Fino or Dr. Berkeley.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley clearly has good credentials and a prestigious post at a well-known university fertility clinic. I thought he was professional the one (!) time I got to meet him (at my consult). I was taken aback by the fact I did not hear from him again until after my missed miscarriage/D&C at 6 weeks. My tissue from the D&C had been tested, and it was triploidy, which he explained to me over the phone. I advised him that Dr. Noyes, who had seen me during this very brief pregnancy mentioned during a monitoring appointment (as it began to become clearer that this was a missed miscarriage) that I had a uterine fibroid and had been incredulous as to why no one had pointed this out to me before. While my fibroid didn't cause the triploidy, of course (which he pointed out), I felt that missing such a thing at my initial consult the month before (which included an initial ultrasound) was pretty inexcusable.
If you choose to go this route, find a way to beat the system so you can speak to the Dr himself, instead of dealing only with the "doctor of the day" or nurses.
Dr. Berkeley put me on Clomid after doing comprehensive bloodwork (which included genetic testing). I then triggered with Ovidrel and had an IUI. At 6 weeks, I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage and had a D&C with embryo testing at the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
My IUI protocol and treatment were covered under insurance. I had copays.
No experience with Dr. Berkeley on this
NY - 1st Ave
[NYU] Strengths: their medicine is top notch...They have experience with so many various cases so they are extremely knowledgeable and have top of the line recourses. Weskness: they are not personable. In order to speak to someone you have to leave a message with a call center and they will call you back. The lines for monitoring are long and the IVF coordinators and billing have attitudes.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: their medicine is top notch. It's NYU they have laboratory resources that is bar none. They have experience with so many various cases so they are extremely knowledgeable and have top of the line recourses. Weskness: they are not personable. In order to speak to someone you have to leave a message with a call center and they will call you back. The lines for monitoring are long and the IVF coordinators and billing have attitudes.
NYU unfortunately has an enormous amount of patients. So there were so many of us that I felt we were just another patient, esspecially trying to make apts, calling the facility or coming in for monitoring. But when we were able to see or speak to the dr we felt like humans because dr Berkley took the time to go through all the details with us in person and also over the phone. He made us feel like we were his top priority. He Didn't rush us, he repeated things if we didn't understand. He joked with us so that felt very personable.
There are a lot of them. Most were extraordinary. Some were great. Others were not. Luckely I dealt with wonderful nurses but occasionally I had a bad one.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr Berkley is a funny guy with great bed side manner. He went through a rigorous initial consultation with us.making sure we covered all details. He is also a brilliant dr. He is well experienced and knew exactly what should be done. He also pushed the limits to maximize results. His short comings is that he is so busy that it could take a long time to set up apts or get return calls. Also his medicine is pretty conventional he didn't discuss any naturopathic options
Come with all your questions he will take the time to go through them. Be prepared for a long waiting time for the apt though
This was several years ago so I don't remember fully. Dr Berkley wanted to use an aggressive approach since I had a failed cycle which did not produce many eggs though I have a high egg reserve with a different dr. I was on menupur and Folistim I over stimulated so they had to do an HCG trigger. I produced 28 eggs. He told me he was going to be aggressive since I had a failed cycle previously so I knew what to expect. What I didn't know was that because of that the embryos had to be frozen and I could not do a fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It was a window of time. If you get there early it's quick but if you get there late you'll be waiting a long time. It was first come first serve so some patients got competitive and catty
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
For a full IVF cycle with ICSI and initial freezing it was approximately $15,000. That was 3 years ago.
Dr Berkeley promotes single embryo transfer. However when we transferred the first embryo it didn't take. Since we did not do PGD testing He recommended that we transfer 2 embryos the next time. It became a successful single birth. The next transfer he recommends we transfer 2 again he said statistically non PGD tested embryos will have a 50% success rate. So the statistics are in your favor when transferring 2. Knowing that I asked him why we didn't transferred 2 the first time as well. we only made 5 embryos so there would always be 1 odd one out and he didn't advise to transfer 3. The first one transferred was the best quality embryo so statistically it had a highest chance of success as it was.
NY - 1st Ave
[NYU Fertility was a] totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain...A little crowded in the waiting room - but just because their team is the best and had big write ups in recent news. I saw FIVE friends in the waiting room during the course of my treatment. That was weird. The clinic clean and efficient. Definitely knew what they were doing but it was always packed.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Dr Grifo is a nice guy but VERY blunt. I am a journalist so I appreciated that candor. He is very statistical in his analysis and doesn't mince words. I was 38 about to turn 39 and he was really honest with me that I might not get great results. To my delight, I got 19 perfect eggs, and a 20th that was a little premature. Even he was a little surprised I think. I will say that when he called me to go over the results, he was way more optimistic and said 20 was a terrific number. That was great. The guy is just honest, but I know some women don't like that approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Francis Hooper)
Loved her. She gave me her email and always emailed right back. There were some problems on the weekend - as you know egg retrieval is a two-week procedure - so I was always a little freaked when I couldn't get through but someone always called right back.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Please see previous description. During the procedure it felt like a mill - there were back to back appointments - I felt that I received great treatment.
You're an adult. He will treat you like one. You can get compassion from your husband and your friends... Grifo will give you numbers, data, statistics. He'll also temper your expectations which I appreciated. Then when I received 20 eggs, it was like Christmas.
Honestly, I was SO focused on this, but since it was 2 years ago, I'd prefer not to. I really don't recall. I do think I was overstimulated given my age. I really truly don't think I needed all the drugs they gave me. They were very surprised that I produced so many eggs mid-way through and reduced my dosage of stims. I could barely walk my ovaries were so full! Seriously. It was brutal as was the recovery.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain.
15K?
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
They [nurses at NYU] were very helpful, but also very busy in the mornings. The donor egg staff were very professional but very warm as the process went on. The lead nurses on the regular staff were very kind to me and I appreciated it...Dr. Licciardi found the right balance of understanding/sympathy and honesty when I was unsuccessful and couldn't help but cry. He also gave me a chance at IVF with my own eggs after honestly telling me that he would not recommend it, and he had a positive attitude throughout the process. Finally, the nurse staff were very supportive of me during the various processes I went through.
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with NYU.
I really like the no appointment, two-hour window in the morning for the blood draws. But sometimes there are problems/back-ups and you never know when you will have one of those mornings when everyone shows up at the same time and you have to wait quite a while. So be prepared to wait and perhaps be late for work if that is where you are going next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU.
They were very helpful, but also very busy in the mornings. The donor egg staff were very professional but very warm as the process went on. The lead nurses on the regular staff were very kind to me and I appreciated it.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
I partially answered this with the "number or person" question. Dr. Licciardi was very upbeat with my initial assessment and FSH levels, and quickly got me started on testing and polyp removal to make my chances as high as possible (I had never tried to get pregnant and was doing this with donor sperm). When my FSH levels subsequently elevated, he was sympathetic but to the point that I might get lucky with IUI and he would support that for 2 or 3 cycles. I think some women might have taken that as uncaring, but I felt like he was only being honest and not judging me nor did he want to mislead me. When I failed at IUI but my FSH and estrogen had improved I met with him regarding IVF. He was not in favor of it, but said we could try and then he had a positive, supportive attitude throughout that process. When it failed and I cried, saying I felt stupid for trying at my age (I was at that point 44 years old), he told me I shouldn't feel bad at all about that and he seemed quite genuine with his supportive comments. I commented that I had a family member interested in donating eggs and he was very positive about it. Overall, I think he is neither mushy-concerned nor cold about his assessments. He seems genuinely interested in his patients and in helping them. And when I pushed a little to do something he did not recommend, he quickly took my side. This was important because I think being very downbeat about the process or feeling like your doctor is annoyed or unsupportive because you don't agree with him can make it all too hard. I never had that kind of negative experience with him. But he also was honest and "to the point" about the process at each stage, which might seem uncaring to some women. I am not the kind of person who pushes hard to get my way, and I think that had a positive effect on my interactions with him. I do not know if that aspect of my personality may have hurt my chances, such as when I only had 2 follicles with my IVF cycle (at a high level of hormone treatments) and he said we needed to convert the cycle to IUI. I now feel pretty confident he made the right call.
The patient should expect honesty, but understand he and the clinic are trying to get good numbers. He will recommend what he thinks gives you the best chance of success at having a baby, especially considering most of us have limited resources and usually can't do more than two IVF cycles with our insurance. As a patient, you want to pull out all the stops. I think that dynamic goes on with all the doctors. But I do believe he really believes in his work and wants to help.
It's been quiet a while and don't remember a lot of details. He recommended IUI cycles with HG injections to time the injections. With IVF he went high on the hormones, which I think was right given my age. He also said with IVF that they won't do retrievals unless there are at least three follicles. I only had two so he recommended I stop the medications and just to HG injection with IUI. With the donor egg cycle, we synchronized our cycles with birth control pills and then went to estrogen pills and progesterone shots daily. I don't know the rest of the protocols for the egg donor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU.
I don't remember much. I think the first IVF cycle was maybe $10k or $12k before insurance. The frozen embryo cycle was less than $5k. Frozen embryo cost $1,200 plus another $1k annually for storage. IUI was much cheaper
Since I used a younger donor and told him I couldn't handle having twins, he was very supportive of doing just a single embryo transfer. It worked out great for me.
2013
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Very modern. From signing in to leaving from blood work it was never more then 30 minutes. Everything is at the facility from counseling, bloodwork, sonos and transfer. Cant think of any weaknesses...Anytime I called before and during cycle Amber always called me back same day. She explained things to me 100 times and told me what to expect. The nurses for bloodwork were great and the wait time was never long. Day of transfer the nurse who talked me thru it was amazing and so positive and caring.
2013
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with NYU.
He was always there for sonos. Very kind and encouraging.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Amber I think)
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
First consult he was kind, encouraging and listened. He explained everything and made a plan that workedfor me. On important appointments, for sonos and pregnancy tests he was present. Always asked how I was doing and made the visit very personal. He was genuinely happy for me when we got the positive results.
I feel he has your personal best interest in mind when working with you
First my issue was not getting pregnant, it was having a healthy baby. I have a chromosome translocation which leads to miscarriage or fetus death. It was a hard pill to swallow when I had to turn to using donor eggs. He never made me feel like I was alone. Once I chose a donor from a private agency they did ALL the work for me. I just showed up for blood testing during cycle. I cant remember what injectable I used to sync our cycles. But Week prior to transfer I injected progesterone oil I think so embryo will have better chance to stick. Day of transfer went so smoothly and contined the oil injections a few more days. This IVF resulted in a positive pregancy. I have a gorgeous baby girl who is now 2 1/2 years old. We are choosing not to tell our child and family about using donor egg. I have a 9 year old daughter using my own eggs.
Including using private donor. This cucle cost us around $30,000
2011 - 2013
Loved the nursing staff [at NYU]. Personable and very experienced. They are who you will see most often...This is a busy, first rate clinic. I felt I was in excellent hands and loved knowing the entire team and best-in-class equipment and procedures were dedicated to round the clock care. Like any NYC practice, you will need to be your own advocate and ask questions if you missed something, but I felt very well cared for.
2011 - 2013
Describe your experience with NYU.
Long initial consultation, he let me chose when to start treatment and what course to follow
Loved the nursing staff. Personable and very experienced. They are who you will see most often. There were two main nurse coordinators during my treatment and they were excellent with the many many follow up phone calls after each blood draw. They would leave messages on my voicemail (at my request) with very specific instructions and then would work hard to get back to me quickly if I needed to ask additional questions.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
I chose Dr. Licciardi based on the very thorough way he explains everything and his detailed approach. He may be more "scientific" than some patients prefer it I knew I was in good hands. The nurses in the practice are very hands on and knowledgeable.
Trust his approach and go to him if you are comfortable with a top notch Doctor in a very busy practice. You may not get a ton of 1:1 attention but you will get great care.
Clomid and IUI for several years of unexplained infertility prior to seeing him. He prepared me well that it would likely not work and we would need to move to injections but surprise, it worked!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU.
My insurance covered a portion (up to $5k per year I think). I covered the rest.
2010 - 2011
13 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
The clinic [NYU - 1st Ave] gets good results which is the most important thing. However, it does feel like a factory with so many people going in and out of the clinic and meeting different doctors and different nurses each time you visit the clinic...The clinic was open between 7am and 9am which made it very convenient with work. For the most part, the wait was about 15 minutes. The clinic ran fairly smoothly...I did not have a care coordinator but Wana was very involved in my care. She was helpful at instructing me about how to do the injections. Also, she assisted me when I ran out of medicine and needed to expedite orders the pharmacy.
2010 - 2011
13 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic gets good results which is the most important thing. However, it does feel like a factory with so many people going in and out of the clinic and meeting different doctors and different nurses each time you visit the clinic.
Dr. Noyes took a lengthy amount of time with me at my initial consultation. She explained things very clearly and took time with me as I was overwhelmed by the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Wana)
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
She is a guru in the field and has special expertise around protecting women like myself who are also undergoing treatment for breast cancer. It was disappointing to me that I only saw Dr. Noyes though at the initial consultation and then at the egg retrievals.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy but a very experienced doctor who will get you good results.
I do not remember the entire regiment of medicine I took but I did take the follicle stimulating hormone Gonal F my first round and then switched to a different stimulating medicine the second round in an effort to produce more eggs; although, I produced about the same amount. I was also on Femara to protect me as I had hormone related breast cancer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU.
I received financial assistance from Live Strong so each cycle was discounted. My cost per cycle was $6750.
2009 - 2010
33 Eggs Frozen
The nurses [at NYU- 1st Ave] were amazing. I was coming in from Westchester and needed to get back to work in Westchester by 8:30 am, so I would get to monitoring at 6:30 am. They did their best to take me back first each morning, which was a huge relief...
2009 - 2010
33 Eggs Frozen
The nurses were amazing. I was coming in from Westchester and needed to get back to work in Westchester by 8:30 am, so I would get to monitoring at 6:30 am. They did their best to take me back first each morning, which was a huge relief.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
Our initial meeting with her lasted almost an hour. She spent a lot of time asking me questions about myself, family, job, education, social life etc. She really wanted to know who should could be working with. She made me feel like I was doing the right thing, and that I was light years ahead of my counterparts. It was obvious from this meeting that Dr. Noyes's compassion and bedside manner matched my needs. Once my cycles started I did not see Dr. Noyes very often. I saw her an average of 2 times per cycle, and Dr. Noyes did not do either of my two retrievals.
Be ready to have complete strangers give you internal ultrasounds at 7:05 am. If you this bothers you, than NYU, Cornell, or any big time center, is not the place. Talk to the person in the finance office that deals with medications and insurance. I was able to get my medication covered through Aenta Speciality Pharmacy. Aetna themselves did not tell me this, one of the patient coordinators at NYU told me to go through Aenta Speciality Pharmacy. The medications are brutal but you just need to power through it with your eye on the end result. Write everything down the doctors and nurses tell you during monitoring and nightly calls. Stay organized by inputting your medication doses and timing on the calendar on your phone. Keep track of your medication supplies daily, and check with the doctors/nurse weekly to be sure you have the correct supplies and enough medication to complete your cycle. Never give up. After having my first cycle cancelled I was devastated. I pushed through and ended up with 34 eggs...
Round 1: Non-Lupron Cycle (10/27/09-11/4/09) - Cycle Cancelled 10/27/09: Nothing 10/28/09: Blood work and Ultrasound- saw Dr. Noyes: 450 Follistim pm 10/29/09: 225 Follistim am & 225 Follistim am 10/30/09: 225 Follistim am & 225 Follistim am 10/31/09: Blood work and Ultrasound - did not see Dr. Noyes, saw a fellow: 450 Follistim pm 11/01/09: 450 Follistim pm 11/02/09: Blood work and Ultrasound - did not see Dr. Noyes, saw a fellow, only 4 eggs, was told by fellow that these were disappointing results. The fellow was also about 8 months pregnant, so that did not help the situation. Antagon injected at NYU, 450 Follistim pm 11/03/09: Antagon am & 450 Follistim pm 11/04/09: Blood work and Ultrasound- saw Dr. Noyes, only 2 eggs, cycle cancelled. HcG shot taken at home Round 2: Lupron Cycle (11/11/09-12/10/09) - 12 eggs 11/11/09-11/22/09 - .1 injection of Lupron 11/23/09 - Blood work and Ultrasound - did not see Dr. Noyes, saw a fellow, possibility of cysts 11/23/09 - 11/27/09 - .5 Lupron 11/25/09 - Blood work and Ultrasound - saw Dr. Noyes, possibility of cysts so may delay start 11/28/09 - ok'd to start - .5 Lupron, 450 Follistim, 150 Menpur 11/29/09 - .5 Lupron & 450 Follistim am, 150 Menpur pm 11/30/09 - .5 Lupron & 450 Follistim am, 150 Menpur pm 12/01/09 - Blood work - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/02/09 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/03/09 - Blood work and Ultrasound - did not see Dr. Noyes, 9 eggs, .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/04/09 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/05/09 - Blood work and Ultrasound - did not see Dr. Noyes, 9 eggs, .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/06/09 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/07/09 - Blood work and Ultrasound - saw Dr. Noyes, 9 eggs, .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 12/08/09 - Blood work 0- HcG shot at 11pm 12/09/09 - nothing 12/10/09 - retrieval - 12 eggs Round 3: Lupron Cycle (01/08/10-02/20/10) - 22 eggs ( I didn't seem to write down when I saw Dr. Noyes at morning monitoring) 01/08/10 - 1/26/10 -Blood work and Ultrasounds every 3 days. Progesterone levels were low, ovulation was delayed, and there was a cyst on my ovary. 01/27/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - saw Dr. Noyes - got the ok to start as ovulation had occurred. 01/28/ - 02/05/10 - .1 Lupron until period 02/05/10 - Day 1 of cycle. Called NYU to let them know that I had gotten my period and did not receive a call back 02/06/10 - continued the .1 of Lupron. Did not hear from NYU all day. Called at 5:30pm, got a call back at 7pm from a doctor I had never met. 02/07/10 - .1 Lupron 02/08/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - ok'd to officially start stims - .1 of Lupron in the am, .5 Lupron, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur in the pm 02/09/10 - .5 Lupron & 450 Follistim am, and 150 Menpur pm 02/10/10 - .5 Lupron & 450 Follistim am, and 150 Menpur pm 02/11/10 - Blood work - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/12/10 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/13/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/14/10 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/15/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/16/10 - .5 Lupron am, 450 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/17/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - .5 Lupron am, 150 Follistim & 150 Menpur pm 02/18/10 - Blood work and Ultrasound - .5 Lupron am, 11pm HcG 02/19/10 - Blood work 02/20/10 - Retrieval - 22 eggs
10k for Each egg retrieval and close to 2k for meds each round
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Strengths [of NYU - 1st Ave clinic]: top talent, eminent research and treating physicians, deep bench, efficient protocols. Weaknesses: big place, big staff, standardization can make certain aspects of treatment feel cookie-cutter. Also, they were constantly asking for money up front. I know the process is expensive, and I know insurance often doesn't cover it, or doesn't cover much, but sometimes I felt like NYU was more interested in my wallet than my womb...
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: top talent, eminent research and treating physicians, deep bench, efficient protocols. Weaknesses: big place, big staff, standardization can make certain aspects of treatment feel cookie-cutter. Also, they were constantly asking for money up front. I know the process is expensive, and I know insurance often doesn't cover it, or doesn't cover much, but sometimes I felt like NYU was more interested in my wallet than my womb.
Dr. Noyes treated me like a human being. Sometimes I felt like a bit of a number while waiting to see her and while interacting with others at NYU. it is a big place.
The nurses were generally efficient and competent, and most were also friendly. But it is a big staff and you did not always gets someone you felt simpatico with.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
I saw Dr. Noyes a long time ago -- 1999-2000. I was 42 years old and had failed a number of IUI and IVC rounds with injectable hormones, as well as two previous donor egg attempts at a different clinic. Dr. Noyes was straightforward, candid, warm but a bit brisk (I am OK with that), and made it clear that she would give you as much or as little detail as you wanted. She told me at the first visit that she thought she could get me pregnant "one way or another," and she did. She originally planned to go straight to a donor egg cycle, but while waiting for a donor I unexpectedly got pregnant the old fashioned way (courtesy of my husband) for about ten minutes, until I had an early miscarriage. Still, that was enough evidence to prompt Dr. Noyes to suggest one more cycle using my own eggs. We tried that, but it did not work. Next, a donor became available and we had a long talk about how many embryos to implant. I wanted to be aggressive, in light of my age and history. Dr. Noyes eventually agreed to 4, with all kinds of contingency plans if I ended up with too many. As it turned out, one took. Dr. Noyes discharged me from the fertility clinic at 3 months but sent a lovely note when my first daughter was born. Somewhat amazingly, I got pregnant again -- also the old-fashioned way -- when daughter #1 was 6 months old. Even though Dr. Noyes had nothing to do with that (except, perhaps, in the karmic sphere) and she sent another lovely note when my second daughter was born. Both girls are now in high school.
Don't be shy. She responds well to questions: ask them.
See above. I don't remember any of the names of the drugs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU.
Don't recall the details. It was a lot, and most was not covered by insurance.
NY - 1st Ave
NYU Fertility’s nursing staff is well organized. The blood and ultrasound monitoring queues are efficiently run.... Call administrators provided incorrect information regarding hours of operation. I drove and hour on Christmas eve morning only to find out the office was closed despite being told the day before that the clinic was open. The on call doctor was available through phone and was able to direct me to Columbia to complete bloodwork.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Call administrators provided incorrect information regarding hours of operation. I drove and hour on Christmas eve morning only to find out the office was closed despite being told the day before that the clinic was open. The on call doctor was available through phone and was able to direct me to Columbia to complete bloodwork. It was a hectic couple of hours.
Dr. Licciardi contacted me following both failed IUI’s. He follows up to check in to see how I am feeling following the failed attempt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Andrea & Carol)
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
During the consultation Dr. Licciardi was very personable and thorough in reviewing the IUI and IVf statistics with my husband and I. He was available following my unsuccessful cycles for any questions or concerns I have.
Ask questions because he is available and willing to explain.
1- Gonal F with Ovidrel for 1st IUI cycle. Gonal F was chosen over clomid bc my body had previously grown cysts with Clomid. Chemical Pregnancy. Ended having to take another Ovidrel 3 weeks post IUI to help remove cyst. 2 - Gonal F. I ended up ovulating before actually taking the Ovidrel. IUI was canceled. 3 - Switched to Menopur for follicle growth and began using cetrotide to delay ovulation.Ovidrel. No success with IUI. 4 - Menopur and will start cetrotride soon.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU.
$35 copays and $100 per IUI. Medications averages around $195 per cycle.
NY - 1st Ave
I found the office [NYU - 1st Ave] itself to be very impersonal, difficult to connect with the same person, difficult to navigate with long hold times and often having to talk to the answering service. I also found the group orientation very impersonal and also not as private as I would like ...there are no guarantees of which doctor will see you for appointments which was not a good fit for me...Nurses were kind and helpful, but I did not like not having a point person/primary nurse
Describe your experience with NYU.
Nice facility. Compassionate staff but can feel a bit like a factory with many many patients and fairly impersonal process. Monitoring hours are 7-9 am, and if you arrive close to 9 am it could take a very long time. May see a different doctor at every visit.
Dr Fino is wonderful and has great bedside manner and explains things very clearly. She made me very comfortable, and I planned to continue to work with her. However, I found the office itself to be very impersonal, difficult to connect with the same person, difficult to navigate with long hold times and often having to talk to the answering service. I also found the group orientation very impersonal and also not as private as I would like which is why I switched clinics.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
Warm bedside manner. Takes her time during initial consultation. Difficult to get a hold of in between visits. No guarantees you would see her for follow-up visits due to the structure of the clinic which involves seeing any IVF doctor who is doing monitoring or procedures on the day you need to come in.
She is a wonderful doctor, and I would have been happy to work with her, but at NYU there are no guarantees of which doctor will see you for appointments which was not a good fit for me.
I had a cycle of timed intercourse during which I took Ovidrel as trigger shot and then took Progesterone for two weeks after, but not successful.
minimal co-pays
NYU recommends eSET
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
[NYU] Strengths - they have experience and see a high volume of patients so probably know each and every possible case or explanation. Weaknesses - very little doctor content, feels like a factory, nurses and billing are impossible to get on the phone. You will call 4 times, and every time they will say you will hear a response in by end of day, and you do not. It gets extremely frustrating on top of everything else that goes along with this process.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
Dr. Fino is very nice and has good bedside manner.
Nursing staff are better in person. It's impossible to get them on the phone. Much better off stalking them in person.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
I think Dr. Fino is very kind and explains all of your options well. However, in my 9 months of treatment, I only saw her twice. She does seem very busy nonetheless so your time with her is limited.
Lower expectations of doctor facetime/contact. Doctor is difficult to get ahold of by phone.
I was on 9 cycles of Letrozole with no changes in treatment over the course of that time. In addition, I had one surgery to remove a polyp that she thought might improve my chances.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU.
IUI cycles top to bottom are about $1500-2000 per month depending on the monitoring costs. As I move onto frozen transfer IVF, it is estimated it would cost about $18k top to bottom.
NY - 1st Ave
Ugly, inconvenient offices. Billing is on top of things when they want your money but not so much when you have questions or need a refund. The monitoring works like clockwork... I liked the nurses who did my monitoring. They were great. The nurses during and after egg retrieval were horrible...She's [Dr. Brooke Hodes-Wertz] the right doctor for me. She's just the right mix of facts and optimism. I didn't see her often, though, and sometimes I didn't know what the next step in the process was. (Though in her defense things didn't go according to plan)...We did 3 rounds of IUI with clomid that were unsuccessful. Then we moved on the IVF with Follistim, Cetrotide, Menapur, and Ovudrel. With our AMH and stats, we were expected to produce 0-1 embryos per cycle. We got 5, and 3 were normal post PGS. So we only had to do one round.
Describe your experience with NYU.
She's very straight forward. My situation wasn't great but she wasn't overly apologetic about it - she told me the facts and gave me a plan. It helped keep me hopeful and not focused on my bad stats.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
She's the right doctor for me. She's just the right mix of facts and optimism. I didn't see her often, though, and sometimes I didn't know what the next step in the process was. (Though in her defense things didn't go according to plan).
Be proactive. If you want to see her or talk to her, make the appointment. If you have questions, ask.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Pretty efficient. No complaints except that all the monitoring is annoying.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
I have excellent insurance so all we paid for was the PGS testing and the cost to biopsy in addition to th cryo fees to freeze the blastocysts
Haven't done that yet. But we'll only do 1.
NY - 1st Ave
Sometimes feels a bit overwhelming when you walk in and see a large waiting room filled with people [at NYU]. But it moves smoothly and they're prompt to see you, call w bloodwork/medication info and they make everything as easy as possible.... It's a big place and initially you can feel like you could get lost in the shuffle. But they all have a smile on their faces, they are happy to see you, answer your questions and are kind & loving during the monitoring process and retrieval.
European, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with NYU.
Sometimes feels a bit overwhelming when you walk in and see a large waiting room filled with people. But it moves smoothly and they're prompt to see you, call w bloodwork/medication info and they make everything as easy as possible.
Dr Fino is kind and compassionate, she has been very reassuring throughout the entire process. She is very smart and good at explaining the medical information so we could understand. She did not rush us in our initial meeting. We had an interesting scenario where we were forced into fertility preservation because of a newly diagnosed cancer, on top of our infertility struggle.
They are extremely kind...it's a big place and initially you can feel like you could get lost in the shuffle. But they all have a smile on their faces, they are happy to see you, answer your questions and are kind & loving during the monitoring process and retrieval.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
Dr Fino is knowledgable and kind. She is realistic but also supportive and encouraging during a time that can feel hopeless and frustrating. She wants what's best for you and you can feel that she is completely behind you.
To ask a lot of questions because she will answer you honestly, not sugar coating, but also not making you feel helpless.
Menopur + Gonal F, trigger was Ovridel and Lupron
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Rather efficient...not terrible waiting times, to be expected.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU.
I have UHC/Progyny insurance and it's amazing.
NY - 1st Ave
He's [Dr. James Grifo] extremely knowledgeable. He's honest. He always told me all the pros and cons to each option and there was never any pressure. He pretty much lets you decide how you want to go. And he has an excellent personal manner. I definitely would recommend him to a friend...It's [NYU Fertility] very efficient and well run. It's busy and very popular. It can be somewhat factory like. Honestly, there is just no other efficient way to get that many people through the process. However, they always gave me the time I needed.
Describe your experience with NYU.
It's very efficient and well run. It's busy and very popular. It can be somewhat factory like. Honestly, there is just no other efficient way to get that many people through the process. However, they always gave me the time I needed.
Dr. Grifo is very nice. He was always very pleasant and personable. He is a very caring physican.
The nursing staff is very efficient and nice. They generally got me in and out quickly in the mornings and had a good bedside manner. If I had a question, I generally got a timely call back. The one thing I would say is that the practice is very busy, so sometimes you have to be a little aggressive to make sure you get a call back or get taken care of quickly. However, I never felt like they weren't trying to give me a good experience. It's just hard with so many patients. The quality of the care was always great though.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
He's extremely knowledgeable. He's honest. He always told me all the pros and cons to each option and there was never any pressure. He pretty much lets you decide how you want to go. And he has an excellent personal manner. I definitely would recommend him to a friend.
Make your appointment ASAP. The wait for a first appointment is like 2 months.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
My workup was paid for by insurance. My IUI was supposed to be covered by insurance but the insurance said my numbers were low, and they refused to cover IUI without drugs, so I paid for it myself rather than use drugs I didn't think I needed. I got pregnant on the first try. :)
2003 - 2010
The facility, I felt, was private and the nurses took care of you. The billing was the billing, who likes to hand over $10K, but the billing staff was pleasant and provided me with what I needed....[The nurses were] a multitude of ages and personalities. All competent, all caring. Some were better at explanations and follow through, but I did not have any negative experiences. I also liked to talk to them and show an interest in their own lives, they knew so much about me, I felt they would like someone to show an interest in what was happening in their lives.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Had direct contact with her and discussed the treatment failures, she felt the disappointment I experienced as well.
A multitude of ages and personalities. All competent, all caring. Some were better at explanations and follow through, but I did not have any negative experiences. I also liked to talk to them and show an interest in their own lives, they knew so much about me, I felt they would like someone to show an interest in what was happening in their lives.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU?
She is smart, and tells it like it is. I appreciated her sense of humor. I didn't ask alot of questions, because I didn't feel the need to. I'm not a doctor, but I am smart, and I trusted her expertise. If you are older, she indicates that will work against you. She did follow up with me.
Be prepared that she will be honest. She is not going to sugar coat your chances.
I was prescribed the usual IVF protocols and each cycle produced eggs and embryos, but for some reason there was a failure to implant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Depended on the day, I was taken in the order I got there. Sometimes there was a line, sometimes not. I tried to get there early and get in and out.
$8K per cycle
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
It [NYU] isike any other clinic in that you need to get there early for monitoring. Results come back quickly. My only complaint is the billing department. One doesn’t know what the other one is doing and you have to call several times to resolve any issues...The nurses at the clinic were exceptional and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience...Aleksandra was a god send! She entertained my craziness and made me feel so comfortable.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with NYU.
It isike any other clinic in that you need to get there early for monitoring. Results come back quickly. My only complaint is the billing department. One doesn’t know what the other one is doing and you have to call several times to resolve any issues.
I appreciated that Dr Licciardi took the time to explain everything to me and contact me throughout the cycle. The nurses at the clinic were exceptional and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra )
Aleksandra was a god send! She entertained my craziness and made me feel so comfortable. Even after I left their care, she emailed me just to see how I am progressing w my pregnancy.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
He was patient and explained everything in a way that I could understand. I never felt like a number or a statistic. He was knowledgeable and compassionate. He called me during the cycles and afterwards to discuss next steps or to congratulate when cycle took.
Have your questions ready and be open to any course of action proposed.
My first cycle he utilized clomid and other meds in order to help with the stimulation. When that cycle failed (it was my second) he suggested donor eggs. The donor egg cycle worked.
He goes for single embryo transfer initially.
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
i felt more like a number at the clinic [NYU -] than a patient. the staff was sweet but you felt like they were trying to get everyone in and out in a timely manor. they would call your name, take your blood, get examined by the dr on call and you would be out before you blinked an eye...all the nurses were very kind....Kara Goldman had amazing bed side manor. she would explain why things were happening, give us her professional opinion
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with NYU.
i felt more like a number at the clinic than a patient. the staff was sweet but you felt like they were trying to get everyone in and out in a timely manor. they would call your name, take your blood, get examined by the dr on call and you would be out before you blinked an eye.
Kara Goldman had amazing bed side manor. she would explain why things were happening, give us her professional opinion, and offer us our options. she remembered who we were every time we came in and provided us with a safe environment.
all the nurses were very kind.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU?
I thought Kara Goldman did a great job. she was forth coming and explained everything in full detail. she would explains things multiple times if needed. she always seemed to care about her job and the patient.
trust her
not everything goes as planned. i needed to adjust the hormones and trust that Dr Goldman was tweaking the medications in order to get better results each time. i had to take a month off between the 2nd and 3rd retrieval.
all in i spent around $85,000 -$90,000 including medication and acupuncture
i didnt want multiples and Dr Goldman felt that transferring one embryo was more safe than transferring 2
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
NYU was a pretty seamless, easy operation for me. The doctors were reachable, monitoring easy... even billing was pretty straight-forward. What I didn't like was the very safe approach, and the wait for ultrasounds....The nurses were responsive when called -- always returned phone calls and gave directions clearly. During morning monitoring were pretty aloof, but did the job and got patients in and out of bloodwork quickly. Ultrasounds took quite a bit longer (I'm sure that was more about the doctors than the nurses).
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
Dr. Licciardi was recommended to us by my OB/GYN. He was very sympathetic to our specific challenges, and at first I felt in great hands. But after many months of poor results, I never felt like he went above and beyond for us, or was willing to try new, different, or outside-of-the-box ideas/treatments.
He's been doing this a long time and has loads of experience, but if I was to do this all again, I'd have pushed for more aggressive treatment -- or recommendation on alternate measures (donor, GC, etc.).
To my knowledge at NYU, they will not transfer multiple embryos. In my case, we never got that far.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [NYU - W 52nd] can feel like a factory and you're just a number... but all the nurses handled their jobs well. All are very competent. A particular nurse, Imelda, is very kind, compassionate and caring...Monitoring is 7-9 am. I go early so I'm in and out in 20 minutes....Everything was covered by my insurance except PGS....She [Dr. Hodes-Wertz] is very knowledgeable, adjusted my treatments when one is not working, and honest with the results and prognosis.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic can feel like a factory and you're just a number.
She is honest and compassionate. She returns calls or have her secretary call when busy.
The clinic is very busy, but all the nurses handled their jobs well. All are very competent. A particular nurse, Imelda, is very kind, compassionate and caring.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
She is very knowledgeable, adjusted my treatments when one is not working, and honest with the results and prognosis. When I got results that I didn't want to see, she is compassionate, warm and has suggestions for the next round.
Trust her clinical judgment and expertise.
The first IVF was antagonist protocol good for older women. She used minimum amount of medications. The second IVF was also antagonist with increased medications to increase the amount of eggs. However, I had the same results. The third IVF was microdose lupron and had increased amount of eggs and embryos. I chose to do PGS, but sadly, all embryos were abnormal.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Monitoring is 7-9 am. I go early so I'm in and out in 20 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU.
Everything was covered by my insurance except PGS.
She prefers eSET but I never reached transfer so it was never discussed in detail.
NY - W 52nd
I felt that I was only one more woman trying to get pregnant [at NYU]. It almost felt like a factory, we all seam to be following the same treatments and schedule. I was never offered some kind of comfort by the nurses. The doctor was very to the point but a bit cold in my opinion. And has you know all woman that are passing thru a treatment have to be almost warriors not only physically but physiologically.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Good space. In my option a bit bad located. Check in is easy. I wish they had mychart active or a patience portal.
I felt that I was only one more woman trying to get pregnant. It almost felt like a factory, we all seam to be following the same treatments and schedule. I was never offered some kind of comfort by the nurses. The doctor was very to the point but a bit cold in my opinion. And has you know all woman that are passing thru a treatment have to be almost warriors not only physically but physiologically.
They are knowledgeable but quite cold in my option. Felt like I was one more number....
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr Alan is very knowledgeable and he does try to get as much of your background history as possible. He does follow up on you if you call or if you have a question. I would say the weakness is that he follows a protocol and doesn't feel that he ajusts the same to the patience needs
make as many questions as you can so that you get all explain. Try to think of those before hand. Ask for psychological support if you need
NY - 1st Ave
Strengths [of NYU]: Experience, efficiency, availability Weaknesses: Rotating Dr's every time you go in for an apt.... [The nursing staff were] Efficient and always made themselves available for my questions and explaining the next steps of the process.... 17,500 for retrieval. Total after implantation and drugs was close to ~25k... Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: Experience, efficiency, availability Weaknesses: Rotating Dr's every time you go in for an apt.
Made himself accessible for individual phone consultations. Emphasized us knowing about the option of genetic screening, which was important to us.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo provided excellent care and clearly made us aware of the process and managed expectations appropriately. He made himself available for phone consultations during each step of the process.
Ensure to keep track of your own records of hormones, blood tests etc.
Dr. Grifo followed a medium aggressive drug plan for me. I do not recall the exact protocol, but I did not respond as expected and only ended up having one ovary really respond and 3 eggs retrieved. Luckily, we had one healthy blastocyst that resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Very efficient and the Dr's were mostly great to work with.
17,500 for retrieval. Total after implantation and drugs was close to ~25k
I very much agreed with Dr. Grifo's approach of only implanting one embryo and doing genetic testing. He stressed the importance of having a healthy pregnancy - considering the risks to the mother, instead of just focusing on getting pregnant and risking multiples.
31 Eggs Frozen
3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
The nursing staff is phenomenal at NYU...Efficient and not unpleasant, although assembly line...I had mild OHSS post treatment. There are medications that can be given to diminish this (ganirelex or cetrotide for a few days). While the other clinics I have been to were willing to provide that, NYU will not, which makes the recovery time much more prolonged and difficult...
31 Eggs Frozen
Investor
3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with NYU.
Dr. Grifo is incredibly knowledgeable and overall is a great doctor. However, the time taken with me as a patient was higher at other clinics, as was the granularity of answers.
The nursing staff is phenomenal at NYU
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Dr. Grifo is a very knowledgeable doctor. My experience overall with NYU was positive, as far as it went. The process itself was straightforward. However, it was unclear at the end of it whether I had enough eggs to be a true insurance policy. Additionally the hormone dose used was higher than at other clinics, where my results were similar.
Ask his thought process behind the hormone doses he chooses. Also ask his viewpoint on whether eggs or embryos makes more sense, given your age and goals.
300 follistim, 300 menopur, 5 days clomid, ganirelex
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Efficient and not unpleasant, although assembly line
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
$9200 per egg freeze cycle, $1000 for anesthesia. Med costs were separate and above this
2013 - 2016
Endometriosis, Unexplained
[NYU Fertility's] Strengths: extremely well-organized, with cutting-edge knowledge of procedures and expertise. Weaknesses: Sometimes it can be hard to get in touch of nurses by phone....Grifo is a straight-forward communicator, meeting with my husband and I a few times to talk about options and setting up a treatment plan. I felt he was doing evidence-based (rather than anecdote-based) medicine, and I got great results.
2013 - 2016
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with NYU.
Grifo is one of very few doctors who doesn't talk down to his patients, but instead equips them with the information they need to decide on a course of action. I really appreciate that! I suspect this is partly because he is *not* insecure and because he is well-informed (partly due to undertaking research himself).
There is a team of people you deal with. I found them all very nice in person. My one complaint is that they could be difficult to reach by phone. My calls, even during business hours to the nursing staff, often went to the answering service. If you have a busy schedule, it can be easy to miss the call they place back resulting in a lot of frustrating phone tag.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
Take advantage of his expertise, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Very easy, usually a wait of less than 20 minutes.
NY - 1st Ave
Orientation session [at NYU] that you must attend is very informative. Billing is straightforward for the most part, however those on the staff who are responsible for processing pre-authorizations of insurance are not the most responsive always -- you need to be persistent at times to get the information you need....The costs quickly add up; estimate ~$25-30K for first cycle (including PGS, meds, anaesthesia), that doesn't include the $4K per transfer after the initial.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Orientation session that you must attend is very informative. Billing is straightforward for the most part, however those on the staff who are responsible for processing pre-authorizations of insurance are not the most responsive always -- you need to be persistent at times to get the information you need.
Dr. Grifo is a highly professional, honest and caring doctor, who doesn't try to 'sell' you on any fertility services. In the several meetings I have had with him, he has always been very frank yet warm, ready to share with us data from his years of research and work, and also understand how that understanding should be applied to us.
Unexplained fertility on our part, so we tried 4 IUI's (1 natural, 3 with clomid) which all failed. This time around we are doing our first IVF with frozen transfer, and I was put on follistim, menopur and cetrotide with lupron trigger. I was responding very well to the medications (estradiol to ~5,000), so the dosage was taken down over the stimulation period.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
All of the drs and nurses I met in the practice [NYU] were kind and caring. It's easy to become just a number, but the staff makes sure you don't feel that way...There are many other doctors and nurses that you will see on a daily basis once your treatment starts. Each dr in the practice has a specific day when they do transfers, retrievals and other procedures. Which dr you get depends on your cycle and the day of the week. Don't be disappointed- dr Licciardi still knows what's happening to his patients...Hours are between 6-9 the earlier you arrive the quicker. Those that come closer to 9 have a long wait
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Licciardi is amazing! He was always available to answer any questions, concerns etc. All of the drs and nurses I met in the practice were kind and caring. It's easy to become just a number, but the staff makes sure you don't feel that way.
Nurses were very good
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU?
First impression was great. My husband and I felt comfortable within a few minutes of meeting dr Licciardi. He clearly explained all of our options and helped us every step along the way. He was always available to speak with and answer questions, concerns etc...
Dr Licciardi is part of a large practice. He will not be with you every step of the way. There are many other doctors and nurses that you will see on a daily basis once your treatment starts. Each dr in the practice has a specific day when they do transfers, retrievals and other procedures. Which dr you get depends on your cycle and the day of the week. Don't be disappointed- dr Licciardi still knows what's happening to his patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
efficent. Hours are between 6-9 the earlier you arrive the quicker. Those that come closer to 9 have a long wait
Insurance covered it
NY - 1st Ave
I only went to their office (not NYU's big fertility clinic) - it is dated, and seems like it needs a good face-lift, but I honestly appreciated the vibe, it's not pretentious...Rebecca [nurse the office] is fantastic - kind and quick like Caryn. She is on top of it and you can tell a valuable asset to Dr. Selick...
Describe your experience with NYU.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caryn Selick at NYU?
Caryn is a no-nonsense doctor. She will look you right in the eyes and tell you, without sugar-coating life, what you need to do to get what you want out of the fertility process. We initially went to her, hoping to do an IUI cycle, and she quickly (after finishing all testing) referred us to start an IVF cycle with another doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca is fantastic - kind and quick like Caryn. She is on top of it and you can tell a valuable asset to Dr. Selick
How was your experience with Caryn Selick at NYU?
She is forthright, and yet very caring when doing testing that seems invasive. She's real and exudes a motherly vibe (that you can trust)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caryn Selick at NYU?
If seeking IUI's - go to Caryn, she will absolutely help you
Describe the protocols Caryn Selick used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
I mentioned this before - she did a whole run-down of tests with us - and quickly recommended we run to get IVF - I'm not getting any younger! We appreciated her honesty
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caryn Selick at NYU.
Since we did not do any treatments w/ Dr. Selick, we were only billed office visit bills (co-pay) that were covered by our insurance
Caryn Selick
NY - E 30th
10 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Natalie [NYU Fertility nurse] is warm, friendly, a great communicator and very supportive. She always took the time to stop by and say hi when she same I had checked in for blood draws which was completely unnecessary but showed how dedicated she is to her patients. All directions were clear and she helped with pharmacies when prescriptions were delayed. I couldn't have asked for a better nurse.
European, Latino
10 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Every step of the way and even now that I am under the care of an OB, Dr Hodes and her nurse Natalie continue to support me. They are are excited as we are at the outcome of our procedure and we always available during treatments and treated us with great respect and honesty.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Green)
Natalie is warm, friendly, a great communicator and very supportive. She always took the time to stop by and say hi when she same I had checked in for blood draws which was completely unnecessary but showed how dedicated she is to her patients. All directions were clear and she helped with pharmacies when prescriptions were delayed. I couldn't have asked for a better nurse.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU?
Dr Hodes was completely candid from the get go but very confident of a positive outcome. She did everything necessary to prepare me for transfer and adjusted the course if things weren't working, always communicating why and what she was trying to achieve. I felt like I was her only patient!
Give her a chance. She is probably more junior than some of the other doctors within NYU but is very nurturing, honest and ultimately skilled in what she does.
2011 - 2014
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
It [NYU Fertility on 1st Avenue] is a bit like a factory. Lots of doctors. Lots of nurses. Very process oriented...It was mostly a well oiled machine but I did have an emergency once where I was injured and worried about the pregnancy. They saw me immediately and my doctor made sure to see me as well.
2011 - 2014
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with NYU.
It is a bit like a factory. Lots of doctors. Lots of nurses. Very process oriented.
She is a kind doctor who doesn't sugar coat anything but is sensitive enough to treat you well
There are many of them but it was mostly limited to drawing blood and then then a follow up phone call for me. They were all pleasant and helpful.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU?
I found her to be extremely competent and realistic. She also had my best interests at heart and was very "real" about how to proceed. I didn't have many choices because of my situation- but she was very optimistic about my course and everything turned out positive for me. I was very lucky!
With any fertility treatment, there are so many emotions. Try to not get too wrapped up and trust them. Maybe I was lucky because things went according to plan, but there were times I didn't see her and I was ok with that. It didn't bother me but I know it bothered other people. I trusted that things were going according to plan and Dr. Fino did not disappoint.
Egg freeze - $12000 Ivf- $7000 OOP
NY - 1st Ave
The clinic [NYU] was clean which was important . The waiting room was kind of sad, all you see are women with similar issues waiting to be seen. The wait time was rather long too which gives you too much time to think of negative things. One day, while waiting for an appt, I saw what I assumed was a past patient, she had brought in hee baby to introduce to Dr. Keefe and the Receptionist, that made me feel so hopeful.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic was clean which was important . The waiting room was kind of sad, all you see are women with similar issues waiting to be seen. The wait time was rather long too which gives you too much time to think of negative things. One day, while waiting for an appt, I saw what I assumed was a past patient, she had brought in hee baby to introduce to Dr. Keefe and the Receptionist, that made me feel so hopeful.
He always called me by my first name
It sort of felt like a factory, the nurses went by my birth date, not name :(
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU?
He spoke Portuguese, as do I so it helped that we had something in common . What I loved the most is that he described very complicated things in a basic way so that i would understand. Instead of a patient, he made me feel like a WARRIOR!
Expect a long time to get an appt with Dr. Keefe.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Very very early morning monitoring which I hated but it was necessary or id. e late for work all the time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Keefe at NYU.
Since insurance covered the majority, all I had to pay out of pocket was 1k
David Keefe
2012 - 2014
2012 - 2014
I was at Cornell for close to a year with horrible results....felt like a cattle call each morning for monitoring and you never saw the same doctor...it was like starting over each time. When we finally switched to NYU and Dr Berkeley the experience couldn't have been more different. Nurses were so nice and friendly, they remembered your name, doctor was always available and they don't take thousands of patients so the waiting room isn't a zoo. I could always see dr berkley what I needed to and he always promptly returned my calls. I am a fi believer that the positive experience and feeling I had under NYU's care was the differences! I had 4 failed cycles with no answers at Cornell and one cycle later at NYU a beautiful daughter with 9 frozen embryos....resulting in my now 6 month old. Success on both tries with Dr Berkeley!!
They were friendly, and always remembered you. My experience at Cornell was so cold and awful that walking into NYU and the nurses greeting you by name was a welcome surprise!
See previous feedback
Think positively!!
2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Well oiled machine. First come, first served. Between the hours of 7am-9am, cycled you through. [Nurses were] Very kind but wish that they would call you prior to 12pm- sometimes you had to wait for results until 4/5pm.
2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The first meeting with him was very personal. He is a big shot doctor and was on the second to have a successful IVF transfer ever so it was nice to see that he was personal as well. He had his own history with infertility that helped him connect
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
He was very personable and always was around to schedule a call if we had questions. I do think it's important to always read up and be on top of your own care. My thyroid kept spiking and I felt I needed to be on top of it bec no one else was. This may or may not have contributed to infertility as it wasn't that high (3-4 max), but I had read that fertility doctors did need to see it below 2.5 in order for treatment to be effective. So that's my only complaint... But I truly think he is the best.
Always do your own research and be aware of the right questions to ask.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Well oiled machine First come first serve between the hours of 7am-9am Cycled you thru
2009 - 2011
Very efficient and professional [at NYU - NY - 1st Ave] - checkin with iPads, quick and easy - never a long wait. Staff helpful and friendly...Competent and quick to answer questions. Everyone always friendly, even early in the morning when I usually went in...Be prepared for a wait to get an appointment but once you're in, it's all good...
2009 - 2011
Describe your experience with NYU.
Very efficient and professional - checkin with iPads, quick and easy - never a long wait. Staff helpful and friendly.
We were listened to and treated with respect - and it was obvious he loved helping people create families. He shared things about his own life as well.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU?
We got the results we wanted and were always treated compassionately. I had had a previous bad experience with an HST test and he redid it in a much better way and made me feel like it was the other doctor's fault and not mine. At a time when I felt very vulnerable that my body wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, he never made me feel like it was my fault and he always made me feel like we had options.
Be prepared for a wait to get an appointment but once you're in, it's all good.
Both pregnancies -- Clomid (lowest dose) one cycle with monitoring (ultrasound). IUI at the right time and I got pregnant. Very lucky, I know.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU.
I'm sorry - it was a long time ago. I remember they didn't take my insurance so I had to submit by hand, but they always had the paperwork ready for me. It wasn't cheap, but we weren't expecting it to be.