Genetic counseling: Offered
212-263-7629
NY - Westside
109 West 27th St
212-263-0040
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU Langone Fertility Center to a friend?

2019 - 2020
she [Dr. DeVore] had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did!...I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation...I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan)...NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
As a patient, I had an exceptional experience with Dr. DeVore and cannot recommend her highly enough. She is by far the best doctor I have ever been to. There are a few things that really stand out: I always felt like Dr. DeVore cared about me personally -- she respected my personal values and my comfort zone, and she made recommendations that were tailored specifically to me. She is compassionate but also fully candid and honest. She never sugar coated any of the facts, and just as importantly, gave me ALL the information that I needed to feel comfortable about the decisions that we were making. She is extremely thorough in her analysis and detail oriented. I felt empowered and fully understood the process and next steps. After every appointment, I would walk out of the room, feeling like we made the right decisions. Not everything we tried worked out in the beginning, but the decision-making process and information was so clear and upfront, that we were able to pivot as needed. The entire IUI/IVF process can be extremely complicated, so this piece was HUGE. Dr. DeVore always went the extra mile. In December, Dr. DeVore let me know that in Jan 2020, there'd be a new law which meant that some New York companies would need to provide full coverage for IVF treatment. Dr. DeVore did extra research on this, guided me through the process, and even helped me follow up with billing (and insurance) to make sure we had the information needed. She even wrote a personal letter to our insurance company to ensure everything was organized and in order before starting IVF. This was HUGE and such a stress relief as the process can typically feel very overwhelming given the potential costs. I really felt like Dr. DeVore cared. I know she has a busy schedule and tons of patients, but you would never know. Dr. DeVore gave her FULL attention and dedication to me at every appointment. Even if I had questions outside of appointments, she would get back to me right away too! I've never experienced that level of personal care and can't thank her enough!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
If you're going to see Dr. DeVore, you made the right choice! Best doctor at NYU
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Shannon DeVore made me feel so comfortable throughout the process. I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers. I wanted to understand EVERY step of the process, every risk, and every potential scenario. Shannon was so patient and not only answered my questions immediately, but also gave me the level of depth that I needed so that I felt fully comfortable. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated Dr. DeVore's care, dedication and personal attention!
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
One of my biggest issues was the timing of ovulation as my cycles varied widely month by month. We started out by monitoring my cycles and doing a trigger shot. The first cycle, we learned that my follicles were not growing big enough by the time I ovulated, so for the next cycle, Shannon gave me Clomid to help with the follicle process. Although my body reacted well to Clomid, the first IUI was unsuccessful. The next month, I tried Clomid again but this time my body had a strange reaction to the medication and I had really bad cramps post ovulation. As a result, Shannon decided to pivot and put me on Letrazole instead. I really appreciated this pivot because I knew that Shannon was listening to me and not pushing me down a path (Clomid) that I wasn't comfortable with. In addition, that next month was Christmas and I already had plans to travel and see my family. She knew this was important to me so rather than doing a timed IUI (and having me cancel my plans), I took Letrazole and had sex normally (using ovulation sticks). When this didn't work, the next month, she suggested we try Letrazole + IUI again and simultaneously prepare to start IVF. She was extra careful and thoughtful about monitoring me during this time as she knew my ovulation could be pretty erratic. 4-5 days after my period, she had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did! At the same time, we were also preparing to potentially start IVF. Shannon spent so much time walking us through the process, explaining the medications, and the most cost effective solutions. She mapped out every step and scenario (we had so many questions!!). And then... in a crazy turn of events, the DAY BEFORE we were supposed to start IVF, I found out that I was pregnant! While we never went down the IVF path, I would have felt 100% comfortable if we did. In the first 7 weeks of pregnancy, she monitored me to ensure everything was going smoothly and even was there to show me the first heart beat!
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The NYU staff was very thorough an organized about calling me with results immediately, booking me for follow up appointments, ensuring our billing was sorted and organizing our insurance paperwork. It was never a problem to get in quickly for morning monitoring (I never waited over 5-10 min). And, they nurses were always friendly --- i felt like we knew each other after 6 months! In addition, we took a 3 hour, in-person course on IVF. I was kicking and screaming going into it because it meant I needed to miss a couple hours of work... but wow, it is so necessary. I highly recommend that everyone take this course before going down the IVF path
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation. I would recommend booking your actual appointments well in advance so that you are organized and can plan accordingly. Secondly, I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan). Lastly, I would do your homework on insurance! NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Fully covered by insurance except for $25 co-pays each visit (thank goodness!)
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2013 - 2018
14 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Keefe is kind, warm and compassionate, and takes time to explain and answer questions in great detail. I've only seen hime twice, both times for consultation. My only negative is that I wish I would see him more throughout the process. I only saw him for initial consultations. The rest of the time you deal mainly with the nurse coordinator and other doctors and technicians...He's not the doctor to see if you want personalized, individual attention from your doctor at every stage during the IVF process. I feel very confident with the level of care that I'm receiving and his oversight over my care, but there isn't much face time with Dr. Keefe. Their practice is so highly respected and has high success rates, that it's worth it to me.
NYU is one of the leaders in IVF and has perfected the process. They know what they're doing and I highly trust them. The downside is that they've operationalized the process so much that the experience often feels like a factory. I'd love to see greater personalization and more guided interaction...I wasted 4 months trying to get someone to help me get started...the process wasn't nearly as seamless as I had hoped it would be
2013 - 2018
14 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Keefe is extremely empathetic and passionate about what he does. He takes the time to make sure you're comfortable with the information.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After I confirmed with Dr. Keefe that I was ready to move forward with IVF, the process wasn't nearly as seamless as I had hoped it would be. I wasn't assigned a nurse coordinator and spent the next few months calling, asking questions trying to figure out the process. Finally I was put in touch with a nurse who put me in touch with a nurse coordinator. Now that that's happened, it's much better. But I wasted 4 months trying to get someone to help me get started.
David Keefe
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he [Dr. James Grifo] is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster.
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff [at NYU]...Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc...They [nurses] are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo is all about numbers. He is extremely smart, continues to do research and I find him to be candid and honest with me. After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster. I find him open to working with other doctors (even when he doesn't agree with their ideology), he is willing to try different things than what his normal protocol allows for. He is open to my suggestions and patiently answers pages and pages worth of prepared questions I have presented him with after doing my own research. In dealing with autoimmune issues he has been particularly accommodating and his ongoing work on Chronic Endometritis has been extremely informative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Nurses know my name, as does Dr. Grifo, all are patient, kind, attentive and in tune with my particular case.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
First retrieval cycle we did 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur. I had 13 eggs, 11 fertilized with ICSI. Did a fresh transfer and PGS tested the balance. Got 2 PGS normal embryos and 1 Mosaic. After failed fresh transfer we did an endometrial biopsy that was positive for Chronic Endometritis. Took months to treat that, once it cleared I did two frozen transfers that both resulted in chemical pregnancies. The first frozen transfer was done with Estrace and an autoimmune protocol that included Prednisone, Plaquenil and IVIG. The second FET was a natural cycle transfer with autoimmune protocol as well. This current retrieval cycle I am doing 300 Follistim, 150 Menopur and Letrozol.
I love these women! They are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is big, there are always people in the waiting room. If you want a boutique experience this is not for you. Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
A lot of women in the waiting room, if you show up at the very end of monitoring hours you will wait for sure. But once you put your name into the system that you arrived, you will be called in turn (usually within 20 minutes at the very longest) and from there it is a well oiled machine. You get to know all the doctors and PA's that are doing the sonograms and you know all the nurses drawing blood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
For a self-pay full cycle, with PGS testing, transfer and medications the OVERALL cost (everything included) is approximately $24,000.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. Grifo does not endorse multiple embryo transfer but is willing to do so at the patient's request or insistence.

2020
We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles [with Dr. DeVore] and then IVF if IUI's were not successful...treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments...She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners.
the clinic [NYU Langone Fertility Center] is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment...team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
$500K+
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Devore is a caring and excellent professional. She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners. Dr. Devore's assistant Christine is also great. she was very receptive and promptly answered all our questions. When we had questions for the doctor she would quickly convey the message to the doctor and we'd receive a call back shortly from the team with an answer. The NYU langone Fertility center staff was also great. everyone was courteous and prompt. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be seen. Overall we had a great experience and we'd go back to Dr. Devore and her team to help us conceive again. Highly recommend them to anyone having difficulty getting pregnant.
understand the procedure recommended, the medication prescribed and ask lots of questions if additional clarity is required.
Dr. Devore treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments. She recommended we undergo 3 IUI treatments and then IVF is IUI unsuccessful.Her team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles and then IVF if IUI's were not successful. We prepared for and got through the first IUI cycle and 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. As soon as I tested positive I went to the office to get a blood test confirmation. The team also measured my HCG level. A week later I went for another blood test and my HCG level was measured again. The 2 weeks later I was scheduled for the first ultrasound at 6 weeks and 5 days. we heard the heartbeat and saw our baby for the very first time. Dr. Devore confirmed all my measurement look great and she recommended a list of OB's to start seeing for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
Carol and the entire team were great, receptive and great communicators.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
the clinic is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment.
doctor's fees, ultrasound fees, blood test fees and facility fees
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
a day before the IUI we went in for an ultrasound to ensure I was ready. the nurse/doctor who performed the ultrasound told me I am ready for the procedure the next day. A few hours later Dr. Devore called to clarify that I was not ready and that we'll need to take hormones one more day and then come back for an ultrasound to confirm readiness.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Devore is one of the most thoughtful and kind doctors and people I've ever met. After losing our daughter at 2 days old (born full term), my husband and I suffered infertility for over a year caused by complications at delivery. Upon meeting us, Dr. Devore was well read on our case and immediately empathetic and sensitive to the many emotions we were feeling. She continued to be this amazing throughout the course of our treatment. We've met many doctors but none as special as her.
The nursing staff [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork...The clinic is clean, organized, friendly, empathetic, knowledgeable and flexible. They were also very responsive and easy to get a hold of. If I could not see Dr. Devore, the other attending doctor was always up to speed on my situation.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
My husband and I tragically lost our daughter who was born full term at 2 days old. I then suffered complications caused by placenta accreta which caused infertility for almost 2 years. Upon meeting Dr. DeVore, she was incredibly empathetic, kind, sensitive and she developed a plan of action. The thought of more surgeries or beginning fertility treatments after our loss was incomprehensible to me. But Dr. DeVore helped me through it both physically and emotionally. I had two hysteroscopys to remove scar tissue and then we began fertility pills and IUI. We ultimately decided to do IVF and Dr. DeVore was amazing and kept us informed and comfortable every step of the way. We now have many healthy embroys and have decided to use a gestational carrier due to health concerns for me to carry another pregnancy. We believe we will have healthy children and we don't think that would have been possible without Dr. DeVore. She has become one of the most special people in our lives.
Trust her because she cares and has put a lot of thought into her plans.
Dr. Devore monitored me very closely and often had me come in more than normal just to make sure my blood/hormone levels and ultrasounds were on track. She made adjustments when necessary. The biggest concern was getting my lining thicker so each month she would try a different method so that she had 'data points.' It also gave her a good idea of what my dosages should be for IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork.

4 IUI, IVF
Dr. Grifo does a great job about running through the statistical odds of pregnancy success while also maintaining a level of compassion / acted as a quasi therapist during my treatments. He is well respected in the industry and I feel comfortable in his care. ... Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk.
This clinic [NYU] has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
Investment Banker
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Stay organized and don’t be afraid to speak up if you want to try something and ask for his honest opinion on it. While doctors can do their best to give their most educated advice, they are not psychics and part of figuring out which treatment to move forward with is in part a personal choice.
Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk. The office itself is run like a very well oiled machine. Morning monitoring makes you feel like a number - but at the same time I am thankful they are efficient and I am in and out of there in the mornings before work.
We have done 4 IUI cycles which included clomid for 5 days, a ovidrel trigger shot and a IUI.
The nursing staff was always so nice and friendly. Sometimes can be a bit unorganized but only on minor things.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This clinic has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
All IUI costs were covered by insurance
Dr. grifo strongly urges for a single embryo transfer
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2020
Undergoing fertility treatment during a global pandemic brought on all kinds of additional questions, concerns, and complications. Dr. DeVore went above and beyond to make sure I was informed, comfortable, and aware of my options. She considered not only my physcial health, but also remembered the information I shared about my career stressors...was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
Be honest and communicative about what you're hoping to achieve as a result of the treatments.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship, the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was prepared ahead of time, knowing that I wouldn't always see my doctor. Nonetheless, that can be jarring for those who don't expect that. Every doctor I saw was extremely attentive, prepared, and willing to answer questions and provide additional context if I requested it. The facilities are very pleasant and clean. When I returned for my second cycle, it felt like I was returning to a comfortable place where I'd be taken care of and that was very assuring for me.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring)...Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive...Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine...I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again...I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day.
European, East Asian
$500K+
Investor
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I would recommend Dr Licciardi to someone with a simple case. For someone with a more complex case or poorer prognosis, needing more customized care, I would NOT recommend him at all. I changed doctors after my cancelled retrieval and I am extremely happy I did so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be ready to advocate for yourself and do not expect to be guided at all. Ask a thousand questions if you do get the chance to speak with him (different protocols, what could they adjust, what levels are they looking for and on what basis will they adjust doses) - don’t expect any of this information to be volunteered as you may never actually see Dr L in person again after your first visit. He doesn’t always answer calls, but he DOES respond to emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring), and I felt like I got conflicting information and levels of care from different doctors and fellows over the course of each cycle. Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI cycle - Letrozole (one follicle, no pregnancy) IVF cycle - “mild” dose antagonist protocol with estrogen prime - protocol: estrogen patch + ganirelix prime; 150 iu follistim + clomid, ganirelix (17 days of stims), ovidrel trigger - result: cancelled cycle, recruited one follicle, still intended to retrieve (DOR, poor prognosis) but ovulated after trigger / shortly before retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive (once I could not reach my nurse because she was in the OR but they share files and my problem was solved by another nurse right away). Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: organized, high volume, solid nursing staff, once you learn to navigate the clinic they are very responsive, good for cookie-cutter cases Weaknesses: you’ll never see your doctor, you’ll get conflicting information from attending a and fellows (several doctors openly questioned my protocol), you will NOT receive personalized care. Also because they are so big, there’s not a lot of flexibility around scheduling (need to check a lot of boxes, little leeway). For me this didn’t work - my ovarian reserve is very low and my antral count varies month to month. I need to optimize my cycles around my body and not the clinic’s calendar, so switched to a smaller clinic with better results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
IUI and IVF were covered by insurance, meds were out of pocket (~$5000), biopsy for PGS was ~$4,600 out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
1) When scheduling my first IVF cycle, miscommunication between my doctor and coordinator meant that I never actually got on the official calendar. I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again. 2) I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day. It took me several hours to reach anyone and still never received a medical explanation for why my estrogen dropped right before the retrieval. 3) I paid upfront for PGS testing (biopsy) but retrieved zero eggs. I have spent months trying to get that cost refunded since there were no embryos to biopsy. I have still not gotten an answer from the billing dept.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The doctor [Dr. Frederick Licciardi] and his research is top notch...First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle...He felt very comfortable going with one each time [Eset Approach]. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age...I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The morning clinic [NYU] is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced...They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Licciardi is great. I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The doctor and his research is top notch. You have to be prepared mentally to deal with the NYU clinic - which is a whole other story.
We talked about common interests beyond having babies - like skiing. For me this is important - it's like a sales call, let's talk about something for a minute or two that isn't this crazy expensive stressful situation that we are really here to discuss.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the paperwork - but I could supply this later. (First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle)
The morning clinic is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It's NYU - and they have a great track record at getting the results that I wanted. I would recommend them for the work, but not the decor. Also the location is not easy to get to in the morning. I did hear that they might be opening more locations for bloodwork.
$4500/IVF
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
He felt very comfortable going with one each time. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional...is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient...34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses...From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands...They have a very strong team of capable nurses at NYU. They were all very professional and kind. They answered all of my questions and were problem solvers when it came to making sure you had the medications you need. Cherie had a lot of insight into where to go to get medications and ways to save money on certain medications by applying for grants & discount programs. The nurses before and after my egg retrieval and FET were very kind and professional as well.
European, Middle Eastern
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you can and know your medical history so you get the most out of your time with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional. From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was on a gonadotropin PGS/PGD Protocol. I started with Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 for the first 6 days. On the 7th day I was instructed to add Cetrotide in the morning in addition to Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 at night. On day 11, I took the Cetrotide injection in the morning and the trigger shot that night which was a combination of Ovidrel and Lupron. Retrieval day was a day later and 34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing. I did not have many side effects during the stimulation cycle except that my lower abdomen felt very sore on both sides. I was extremely bloated 2 days after the egg retrieval and definitely had to take it easy. I felt completely back to normal 2 weeks after retrieval.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses. I felt like I was in good hands and when going through IVF, you have to be able to trust the fertility clinic you have chosen. I never doubted my decision to go with NYU and I'm happy with the outcome I had with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance provided 20K in fertility benefits that is all going towards my IVF cycle at NYU. PGD & PGS testing from Natera costs 6K. I have paid around 3K to NYU so far. I had a copay for many of the medications so I ended up paying $350 for the medications needed during my gonadotropin protocol. I opted to do a natural cycle for my FET and was prescribed Crinone (Progesterone gel). The cost of those with insurance was $90 for a box of 15. I had to buy 4 boxes for a total of $360.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My frozen embryos were PGD & PGS tested. NYU informed me that they only do eSET for my circumstance. That is what I wanted as well.
Alan Berkeley
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval.... I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared
[NYU] is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior.
20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory. . I think Dr. Licciardi wanted to manage my expectations because he told me to expect 10-14 eggs, but 22 were retrieved and 20 mature eggs were frozen (age 36). What this actually means I really don't know because Dr. Licciardi made it clear that there are no guarantees.
He is not going to hold your hand during the process but you will get excellent results.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. All of the doctors are highly skilled with decades of experience so you will always be in great hands. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory.
We started out with 150 Gonal F in the morning and 75 Menapur at night and then we decreased Gonal F dosage by the end of week one. Total cycle lasted 10 days. Results were 22 eggs retrieved. 20 frozen (but 2 were not fully mature but they froze them anyway).
You may see the same nurses during blood work, but often they are different. I never encountered any nursing staff who were rude or unkind. Nurses on retrieval day were very sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There should be more preparation for administering the injections. There was an orientation but I forgot everything by the time it was time to start the cycle. It is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior. Still not sure what the actual answer is for that question.
$6900 for egg freezing and storage for one year. 1,000 for anesthesia. I received a discount because it was medically necessary for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted the option to donate my eggs if I wanted. There were certain requirements that had to be met ahead of time. I wasn’t given the correct timeline for that so I do not have option to donate my eggs if I wanted to do so. It’s not the end of the world and probably will need all the eggs.
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2017 - 2019
3 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward with his communication. He is blunt when delivering statistics and probabilities. However, he has his own story of infertility with his wife and children and he has compassion for what his patients are going through. He is invested in figuring out why things aren't working and provides comfort and hope when needed. He is extremely knowledgeable and respected in this industry.
My embryo [at NYU] was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it.... I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle
2017 - 2019
3 IVF, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Have all of your questions prepared before seeing him or getting him on the phone. He's willing to spend time with you answering them, but is quick and succinct, so be prepared. He is not overly warm, but after completing several cycles with him, I can attest he is a compassionate doctor. He's not the doctor you go to for a close Dr./Patient relationship. You go to him for his expertise and experience.
Dr Grifo appeared genuinely invested in our success and showed sympathy when things did not work out time after time. He would spend as much time on the phone as we needed, answering questions, suggesting further tests, providing condolences, etc.
I did a cycle at RMA where I was on 150 of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur. Dr. Grifo studied my results and ordered me to double that protocol and do 300 of each. He also added Clomid to my protocol. These changes helped me produce more eggs.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It used to be painful to call the clinic. You got the answering service each time, even during business hours, but they have changed it recently. Someone actually answers the call and they try to get someone on the line that can help you real time. The wait times can be long during monitoring hours, but I've been to RMA as well and it's bad everywhere. Get there early. They move through monitoring quickly.
Often long waits, but the clinic was very efficient getting people in and out as quick as possible.
$20K+
He prefers to only transfer one PGS tested embryo. He says there are too many risks to the mother and baby with Multiples. I don't know if he would agree to transfer multiple. I did not press him on this because his argument makes a lot of sense.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My embryo was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it. I was really upset, given I did not have many embryos. However, I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle given one of our precious embryos was destroyed. These things can happen, and clinic handled the mishap very well.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Grifo was very encouraging throughout our process. He was mindful of both the emotional and physical demand of IVF. He was sure to communicate how none of this was our fault, talked us through each step of the process, and reassured us when things didn't go as planned.... When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps.
They [NYU] are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was recommended to us by a very close family friend. After starting our journey with another doctor, when IVF became the best next step, we had to switch for insurance purposes. Our first visit with Dr. Grifo was comprehensive and very informative. He asked us a tone of questions, talked us through the science of the process in ways that we could understand and was sure to create space and time for any questions that we might have. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and were eager to get started. Throughout my treatment, I was fortunate to visit the clinic on his "days" which always made me feel better. He was always very thorough and would talk us through the implications of anything that was going on, offering encouragement and support. When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps. He assured us it wasn't our fault and that there was hope in terms of next steps both traditional and more innovative, and even offered ideas based on his latest research. He suggested further testing to help inform the course of action. I saw him for a biopsy, which was uncomfortable, but I always appreciated how Dr. Grifo would talk me through the procedure to help pacify any fears or discomfort. Lastly, we were very fortunate that Dr. Grifo was able to transfer our second embryo, which was successful! It was so great to have him there, and provide us with the confidence and calm that we needed. He told us it was his birthday, and that he had a good feeling about it! When we saw him at one of the first ultra sounds after being pregnant, it was clear how thrilled he was for us. He expressed his joy and confidence in us as parents, and allowed us to hear the heart beat as many times as we wanted! We simply could not have done this without him and we are so thankful for his knowledge and expertise.
To be patient, and to understand that as much as you'd like to see Dr. Grifo every time you are there, there are doctors of the day for a reason. Trust that he is very informed of your journey, and is always available if you want to schedule a call or email.
We used a series of injections to stimulate egg production/growth. I was then monitored regularly to ensure the right dose/frequency and monitor progress. These injections included daily doses of gonal, a few of lupron, and then an ovulation stimulator to ensure ovulation occurred. I was also put on estragen to help encourage a healthy uterine lining for the transfer. During the retrieval process, we retrieved 28 eggs, however, the nurse suggested we use ICSI, to help ensure fertilization given my husbands sperm numbers, were just slightly under the amount they wanted. After the transfer, I was put on progesterone and estrogen to help support the pregnancy. When our first transfer failed, Dr. Grifo suggested a biopsy of my uterine lining to test for bacteria which could have influenced the transfer. It came back negative so he told us to move forward with another transfer. This time around, Dr. Grifo suggested that we might want to try something different just for our peace of mind. So we tried a natural cycle without the use of estrogen and just the use of letrazole. However, after my first visit, Dr. Grifo didn't really like that I wasn't progressing and decided to put me back on the same cycle we tried before as it seemed to work better. It did, and that is what got us to our second transfer with Dr. Grifo! After that transfer, he put me back on the progesterone shots and estrogen, however, after I told him that the shots were making me really sore, he offered my progesterone inserts to help alleviate some of the shots.
The nursing staff was very knowledgable, encouraging, kind and patient. They were very thorough when calling with results and directions. I appreciated they also help talked me through the emotional implications of all of this.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
I provided some of my thoughts on a previous question.
I fortunately had good insurance which covered most of the costs of our first cycle with frozen embryo transfer. We did however, have to pay out of pocket for the PGS testing, about $7000, and then we had to pay out of pocket for the second transfer as it put us over my lifetime max. That was $4000.
Dr. Grifo shared his concerns about transferring one PGS normal embryo at a time. Given our embryos were normal, he was pretty adamant about his thoughts on transferring one at a time to reduce risks. However, he ultimately said that he'd do whatever we wanted.
NY - 1st Ave

Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF.... The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns.
This [NYU] is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible.
Dr Licciardi has great bedside manner and very personable. He seemed interested in getting to know us as a couple and he explained our test results to us in ways we could understand. He was thorough in all the tests he recommended and always told us his expert opinion, not just what we wanted to hear. He also listened to me and my concerns while going through IUI and I felt that we came up with my fertility plan together, which helped make me feel more involved and in control. Dr Licciardi never pushed IVF on us even though he believes that will be our best route, but knowing we weren’t ready and wanted to give IUI a shot, he was supportive and helped us to try and make that happen. After 4 failed attempts we decided to take a break and I started acupuncture. He was supportive and even encouraged it. We will be starting IVF in May. The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns. My two friends have had success with Dr Licciardi so I’m hopeful and excited to see what happens.
Be upfront about your ideas and plans for treatment and email him with any questions or concerns, you’ll get the quickest reply.
Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF. He also called to follow up with me after failed IUIs and is quick to answer any questions I have over email, which is super convenient.
All of my tests came back great, however my husband had slightly low motility. We wanted to start slow so our first cycle we tried natural IUI which Dr Licciardi was very supportive of since I have no discovered issues ovulating. After that failed we moved to Chlomid, followed by two more rounds using injectables. After 4 failed rounds I decided to see an acupuncturist and get my body and mind back in shape I order to start IVF. My cycles are on the shorter side which may be causing an issue with implantation. My acupuncturist and I are working together to correct that and it’s working! I’ll be starting IVF in May with a protocol of 150 Gonal F and 150 menopur to start.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kamini)
Every single nurse or coordinator I have dealt with has been amazing. They are friendly, remember your name, comforting and knowledgeable. They always make me feel that they care and are here to help. They are responsive and informative. I am very happy with the team of nurses!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible. They answer all of my questions and never make me feel like a bother.
Our clinic does not do multiple embryo transfers and they explained the risks very clearly. My husband and I are on board.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
One of the nurses called with my 3rd IUI result and advised me I was pregnant, however, she read my estrogen levels instead of progesterone and realized it right away. She was so apologetic and says that has never happened in 18 years since she’s been a nurse. It was disappointing but I understood people make mistakes and we are all human. Dr Licciardi called me immediately after to make sure I was okay. I actually enjoyed those 5 seconds of thinking I was pregnant. :)

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Grifo has a call with me each step of the way, good or bad, to explain what is going on, to answer questions, to discuss next steps and create a plan of action. He uses his own personal experiences to relate to you, and shows empathy and compassion... He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They [NYU] are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.... Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is just wonderful. I had an experience with one other doctor as a consult and another for treatments, Dr. Grifo was the first to treat me like a human. He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable. He also shared tips outside of the treatment protocol to help give us the best chances possible.
Go to him!! And trust him and his experience and judgement.
Dr Grifo learned from my past protocol with someone else that I needed an adjustment to my protocols. In addition to menopur and gonal F we added Clomid. In my prior cycle with another dr just menopur and gonal f resulted in a cancelled cycle. Dr. Grifo adding the clomid resulted in retrieving 5 eggs, which was more than even when I did a stimulation round several years ago when I was younger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful. They are efficient and compassionate.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.
I felt this was a very efficient process. Obviously there was some waiting on some days, but nothing significant.
Medications out of pocket were about 7K, insurance covered IVF I beleive the cost was about 8K, PGS testing was $5,100 upfront for related costs but receive refund for embryos not able to be tested

2016 - 2019
Dr Fino is great. We did not see her every visit as the clinic's schedule rotated. Certain doctors did certain procedures on specific days. But our consultations and appointments with her were always great. She took time to listen to our concerns and fully explain things. It was never rushed.... NYU prefers and indeed recommends single embryo transfer, especially if you opt for PGS, due to the risks associated with a multiples pregnancy.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number [at NYU] because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.... Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Book earlier than you think. They are very busy and it can take a while to get an initial appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It's a little of both at NYU. They have A LOT of patients and a very well-run and well-organized system. I can see how people would easily feel like a number but the staff is so friendly and caring and compassionate that I always personally felt like a human, even if I was just one of many women getting shuffled through the morning monitoring process. They always had a smile and asked how I was doing.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Honestly can't remember the specifics...
Friendly and well organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.
Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this. It would be crowded but I always arrived before 7 and was one of the first patients to be seen. I actually appreciated the set up of a morning monitoring window because I could get in and out before starting my workday and get my results/instructions before the end of the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
On par with other NYC facilities but to be honest, I can't remember exactly.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
21 Eggs Frozen
[NYU] provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process....Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for....The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
21 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Fino was very thorough and professional. She patiently explained the whole process to me including risks and benefits in great detail. I took down notes during my consultation, and by the end, I had a whole page of notes. The most important thing was that she got me an amazing result for my egg retrieval. I was 37 yo, and she managed to retrieve 23 and freeze 21! I was thrilled! I was expecting about half the number of eggs given my age. On top of that, I had requested no anesthesia to save on the cost of an anesthesiologist. Basically Dr. Fino just worked with me throughout the procedure. If it was too painful, she would pause and then continue when I was ready. Even with the pausing, she worked fast and was done in 15-20min. I'm still amazed that she retrieved that many eggs and with no anesthesia!
Bring pen and paper with you because Dr. Fino can give you a ton of information and advice! The clinic will give you booklets and written instructions, but she can you answer your specific questions very thoroughly and in detail!
Dr. Fino was excellent clinically and had a compassionate bedside manner. She was warm and friendly and answered all my questions patiently.
I used gonadal F, menopur and ovidrel for the egg retrieval and freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is one of the oldest IVF clinics in the country and has a lot of experience with IVF. It is very well organized. It provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process. In fact, you cannot proceed with treatment unless you attend the orientation session, so they are very committed to educating you as a patient and informing you of all the risks and benefits. Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for. The price was worth it considering they got me an excellent result.
Monitoring appointments were first come, first serve from 7am to 10am. The earlier you went, the faster you could be seen. I personally liked the flexibility of having a walk-in appointment over making an appointment for a specific time.
NY - 1st Ave

Perhaps upon further tries it would become a more tailored, personal process [with Dr. Grifo] but we won't try there again - felt factory-like...In person the conversations were frank and direct. Upon failure of the procedure my husband and I asked to revisit what went wrong / what could be done differently. During that visit it felt like he was reviewing the details for the very first time and hadn't prepared for the discussion - like the center was indeed a factory without much tailoring or specific patient focus or analysis.
They won't transfer multiple [embryos] - against policy [at NYU]...despite having to "pay upfront" . . . I'm still getting bills a year later . .. . all in probably $40k with medicines...Very busy with lots of people coming in and out; nevertheless relatively well organized and answers were fairly timely. DId have a couple of issues with assigned nurse not being very communicative. Felt old/tired in terms of layout and cleanliness and technology...
Investor
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Our takeaway was that had ICSI been performed at the outset we would have had a successful experience. We were told NYU waits 24 hours to determine whether it's necessary "to save costs" - at $40k / IVF pop I'm pretty much all in already . . . trying to do everything possible to achieve a successful outcome and wish I'd been educated further upfront and been allowed to make my own cost/benefit analysis. Instead, we were left with "try again and go ahead and do ICSI upfront, sure" or "go somewhere else" or "give up" - not ideal choices but then again nothing about this process is ideal. Punchline - I liked Dr. Grifo but didn't think he "dug in" the first round to maximize its success so couldn't recommend him to anyone. Perhaps upon further tries it would become a more tailored, personal process but we won't try there again - felt factory-like.
Ask him if he does his best the first try to maximize results or does a one-size-fits-all approach the first time assuming you'll have to do multiple rounds and at that point he starts to focus on tailoring approaches.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They won't transfer multiple - against policy.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I was diagnosed with a full thickness intramural fibroid that was pushing into the uterine cavity, preventing me from conceiving. Dr. Fino initially recommended that she remove the portion of the fibroid pushing into the cavity via a hysterscopic myomectomy. After my first surgery with her, she suggested we go back in and clean the cavity one more time ... Dr. Fino's bedside manner is lukewarm and she's pretty much, in and out. She exhibits no real compassion and, I feel as though, she is money hungry. ...
Be prepared to meet other doctors, other than your own, throughout your visits. The clinic [NYU] is run like a factory, as most fertility clinics are, so don't be alarmed. The office opens pretty early which is nice for working individuals. ... I would have appreciated her [Dr. Fino] referring me to someone who knew how to properly manage and remove intramural fibroids; instead of performing procedures that put my uterus at risk for scaring.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I was diagnosed with a full thickness intramural fibroid that was pushing into the uterine cavity, preventing me from conceiving. Dr. Fino initially recommended that she remove the portion of the fibroid pushing into the cavity via a hysterscopic myomectomy. After my first surgery with her, she suggested we go back in and clean the cavity one more time before proceeding with IVF. I agreed. However, I should have followed my gut. The remaining fibroid continued to be a problem and Dr. Fino continued to suggest 2-3 more hysterscopic myomectomies. In this day and age, women successfully have lap procedures to remove fibroids before conceiving. I do not think that Dr. Fino had my best interest at heart. I sought a second opinion with a fibroid specialist who removed the remaining fibroid via robotic myomectomy. I healed well, transferred my care to RMA and am now 9 weeks pregnant after a successful IVF cycle. I am so happy that I listened to my gut. I would have appreciated her referring me to someone who knew how to properly manage and remove intramural fibroids; instead of performing procedures that put my uterus at risk for scaring. She is money hungry and that's the bottom line.
Listen to your gut
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Be prepared to meet other doctors, other than your own, throughout your visits. The clinic is run like a factory, as most fertility clinics are, so don't be alarmed. The office opens pretty early which is nice for working individuals.
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
During the 3 cycles [with Dr. Hodes], only once was the treatment adjusted when i had poor response to the fertility drugs. i showed better results then. Not further tests were done to understand if there was another condition other than the obvious factor of age. Later, found by another doctor on the first visit, it was discovered i had a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing lots of issues. this was discovered by simply checking my prolactin levels. I am told by other doctors this should have been checked.
from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day [at NYU], you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic...Most of them [nurses] are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Doctor Brooke is warm and i believe a great physician but i think the NYU set up is not conducive to spending time with any of their patients. Communication is hard since you have to go through a portal or an email. Answers most always come via a nurse and that nurse will be a different person every time. This combined with perhaps a complex case, makes a recipe for a lot of confusion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Do tons of research and have a lot of questions prepared. I would suggest for anybody to visit an endocrinologist first prior to starting any fertility treatments. I would also suggest to ask if there will be a lead nurse on your case.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
During the 3 cycles, only once was the treatment adjusted when i had poor response to the fertility drugs. i showed better results then. Not further tests were done to understand if there was another condition other than the obvious factor of age. Later, found by another doctor on the first visit, it was discovered i had a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing lots of issues. this was discovered by simply checking my prolactin levels. I am told by other doctors this should have been checked.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
the 3 rounds went pretty much the same. Gonal F + Menapure was always on the list with the same dosage indicated. the one time i showed better results was when Lupron was added for few days.
During your cycles at NYU you will see a slew amount of nurses. Most of them are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time. for example: 1) i asked via email what to do with my leftover lupron? and why i had an unused medication called vivelle and what were those for? to that i was left a voicemail that said lupron expires in 30 days. 2) i was told once by one nurse during a cycle, i am confused by your protocol not sure what to do. 3) during the beginning of one of my IVF i realized i had a lot of medication left over from cancelled cycle. i requested that the nurse only provides a prescription for what i needed. but again since nobody is really following your chart she said she could not do that and would leave me on my voice mail the amount she requested to the pharmacy so i can cross reference with my inventory. Then, i called the pharmacy myself to reduce the count of each medication. it is important to call out that fertility medications like Menapure or Gonal can quickly add up to a bill of 5k to 10k depending of the amount. so for me it was really stressful and careless to have gone about it in this manner.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU fertility is a renowned for their in-vitro success rates. However, from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day, you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
we are not entirely sure if genetic testing results for my partner were lost or simply never performed. we only found this out when we tried obtaining them to move on to another clinic.
Brooke Hodes-Wertz
NY - 1st Ave

I have met Dr. Keefe once with my partner and never saw him again. Nurse Carol has been my primary contact and caregiver. After 3 clomid treatments and 2 IUIs , we have not been successful yet...I would have appreciated a closer relationship with my doctor, especially having gone through 3 unsuccessful cycles...He didn’t reply my email where I explained what has and hasn’t happened the 5 months since we initially met with him and followed his treatment protocol. We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost.
the initial consultation [at NYU] was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees...We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost...Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do.
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He was compassionate but After the initial half hour consultation there were no follow ups. I would have appreciated a closer relationship with my doctor, especially having gone through 3 unsuccessful cycles.
Stay connected closely. Ask questions. Be in touch
The NYU offices are very busy. I have met Dr. Keefe once with my partner and never saw him again. Nurse Carol has been my primary contact and caregiver. After 3 clomid treatments and 2 IUIs , we have not been successful yet.
Describe the protocols David Keefe used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Clomid x2 a day- day 3-7 Ovidrel day 13
Nurse Carol is the best thing in this place. She is thorough , professional, no nonsense, detailed and good communicator. Always immediately calls back with answers. Really like her
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do. Coordinators nurses and billing staff is very responsive. I have not been able to reach my doctor ever again after meeting him initially for consultation. He didn’t reply my email where I explained what has and hasn’t happened the 5 months since we initially met with him and followed his treatment protocol. We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My doctorDoes not take my insurance so the initial consultation was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees around $3000 plus the medication is From $2000 -$8000.
David Keefe

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Goldman] also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey...smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results.
They [nurses at NYU] are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way...The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
Kara Goldman
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

You see him [Dr. Grifo] once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They [NYU] will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before...the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs...The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Spotting Grifo in the clinic is like spotting a celebrity. You see him once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number compounding that average, that median, and keep you on your tip toes secretly hoping for the moment he will pull you aside and say "look, I followed your case day by day, I know a lot about you now, and you are not part of this statistic anymore... you are you and this is what I think!" It's not going to happen, but emotionally I'm in that phase now, as I wait for for my 2nd IVF cycle yet (I'm banking after 1 PGS-tested euploid embryo already frozen). The retrieval is performed by the doctor in attendance that day, so if Grifo is there 1 out of 5 days, your chances of seeing him are 20%. I just went through the embryo transfer course from Fertility IQ and am now freaking out about the performance variances across different doctors within the same clinic. Looking forward to touching base with Grifo to know his POV on this.
Try to take your emotions out of the equation as much as possible. Convince yourself you are making the best possible choice by enduring IVF: 1) you are maximizing your chances, 2) you are controlling the outcome (if you are doing PGS you are screening the best quality embryos in advance, and you are lowering your miscarriage chances to lower rates than mother nature), 3) you are taking an expensive, emotionally tolling, short-cut to starting a family, if time is of the essence for you. Personally, IVF me dread every evening of treatment, but I took one day at a time, and even tried to enjoy the fact that I was taking control over my destiny (vs. years worth of trying, especially if you are retrieving a high number of eggs per cycle --imagine the monthly disappointments, or even mourning a miscarriage (which happened to be in the recent past). Grifo is a matter-of-the-fact person, so if you are able to rationalize all the facts above, he is the doctor for you. He can be personable, funny, and charmingly smart.
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before. Also, sitting in a packed waiting room and having your name called among other 10 names, definitely feels like a manufacturing plant scale... The 1:1 interactions are great (with with exception of billing), but everything else around it is of inhumane scale.
Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Lupron + HCG triggers. My body responded very well to drug stimulation, and all along, doses of Gonal F and Menopur were being adjusted by doctors so my follicles had time to mature appropriately. Cetrotide was taken to prevent early ovulation, and my triggers consisted of 2 days of Lupron and 1 day of HCG, at 36 and 24hrs prior to retrieval. Triggers are to be shot at specific times, so that generates a little anxiety, especially if you have to excuse yourself from a client meeting for a few minutes :( My 1st cycle produced 20+ eggs and 2nd cycle 20+ eggs again. Quality is very different from quantity, so if you can, PGS will give you a good reality check and ensure a lower miscarriage/bad surprises rate. I don't have final results yet as I'm still waiting on 2nd cycle results (1st one yielded 1 euploid embryo that is currently frozen).
The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great. And when you have to call for questions, the message service is tremendously impersonal, but efficient. Nurses will call you back in a couple of hours, and leave very unambiguous voice mails. They are great. A few of them are more talkative and will give you invaluable tips (that should probably be part of orientation), such as: 1) if you are doing PGS, what is the best possible way to optimize timing (brith control pills); 2) if you are using the Gonal F or Follastim pens, don't throw them away if they are not completely finished as you can get a full day worth of dosage in it, or even combine it with a brand new cartridge, representing hundreds of dollars of savings in the end; 3) don't buy all drugs at once, get supplies worth a few days, because you never know how quickly your body will respond to drugs, and you might get stuck with a ton of expensive drugs you can't return.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Not a state-of-the art clinic. Success rates, doctors, equipment were what mattered to me, but if you are looking for premium waiting rooms, 1:1 attention from your doctor during the full length of treatment, immediate responses to follow up calls, this may not be the clinic for you. The academic association of this clinic warrants a team approach, so you will have to trust the team of doctors' best practices, proven protocols, years of research and published papers. The few star doctors of the clinic will be there for you if you really need them. But you will need to be a very patient patient. In FC NYU there are great embryologists, so if you fear your age is determining a lower quality of your eggs, you want that team looking at your embryos and performing biopsies. You also want to go for the PGS testing lab they recommend and trust their interpretation of results. One thing I absolutely loathed about this clinic was the billing department. Staff sitting there is misinformed, inefficient, insecure, and unprofessional. Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. Every time I know I have to deal with them, my adrenaline is through the roof. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide better "client services" training and make measurable improvements ASAP!
Efficient well-oiled machine. Nurses are very personable despite the scale of the clinic. Well-mannered, up beat, rain or shine, as early as 7.30 on a holiday. They are GREAT!
Depends. If insurance covers, the value per IVF cycle charged is lower (about $7,500), if you are paying OOP the iVF cycle is about $10,200. Retrieval anesthesia, cryo, transfer, PGS costs, drugs are all separate. I don't have all the info yet because of insurance processing delays, but if you are doing all OOP, costs are as follow (approx. total $: 24,000) - $15,300 retrieval + cryo + PGS - $1,000 retrieval anesthesia - $2,500 PGS lab testing (minimum fee, pending # of biopsied embryos) - $5,000 drugs Insurance scam I leaned about after many hours on the phone amidst my full time job: my Express Scripts insurance drug coverage gives me a lifetime max coverage of $4,000. If I process through insurance 1 pen of Gonal F 900 units, the cost is of $1,900. If I pay OOP, the cost is of $850 through the same pharmacy. So.... with my insurance I was hoping to cover at least 80% of the drugs I needed for 1 cylce, and with 2 pens of Gonal F (approx. 10% of the drugs I actually needed) my life time max was done! Appalling... specially when you read Australian blogs in which women go through 10 cycles of IVF for free...
Not discussed with Grifo yet, but my philosophy is to take as little drugs as possible, especially after the recent bombarding I did to my body, and the fact that I have no issues ovulating and a well functioning endometrium.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Billing: Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. A few real life examples: 1) on day 2 of your cycle, you have to make the payment for the full treatment, already considering what your insurance will and will not cover. I got the initial information about the PGS test price during my first visit with Grifo months ago, but when I went to actually pay for the test, the billing department surprised me by saying that the lab costs were separate and could amount to almost the same price you pay for the biopsy in FC. No one ever told us that biopsy in FC and analysis in a lab are 2 separate costs, that are almost as equally costly. End result: by surprise, we spent 60% more for a test we were initially misinformed was going to cost "only" $3,600 (it's not covered by insurance). 2) on day 2 of my 2nd cycle I was the one to bring up the fact that my insurance was not going to cover my 2nd full cycle (they have a life time max that covers about 1.5 IVF cycles). The person from billing had already charged my new PGS $3,600 and forgot to check my coverage, so I had to bring it up myself. Once she started digging, she repeatedly stood up to ask for more info from her supervisors, and every time came back with a different number. A total nightmare. That day, I spent over $3,000, and all the "documentation" I got was a poorly hand-written post-it (front and back), a copy of my credit card receipt, and a verbal statement "there is no way for us to know how much your insurance has actually covered at this point, so at some point we can refund you in case you paid in excess, but I can give you this post-it with the itemized list of expenses". WHAT?!?!?!?!? I definitely expected to get better financial information from a billing department, specially since everything else in the clinic seems to be a large scale highly-functioning well-run BUSINESS. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide feedback + improvements ASAP - billing lady on 03/22/2018 at approx 9.30am. 3) on day 2 as I was making the payment for another cycle, I asked yet another billing lady for itemization of services and wanted to confirm that the price for the cryopreservation was already taken care of (specially if you are nervous you have 1 single good embryo in the freezer, you want to make sure the contractual/financial part is in good standing). Her answer "I don't have time for this now, I should not get into any details with you, look, there are other patients waiting, I'm alone here this Saturday, whereas there are 30 nurses here today. Are you going to make this $8,200 payment now on your card? We need to move on". WHAT?!?!?!??! I'm giving you almost $10,000 and you can't give me the time of day to answer a financial question? Well, she did give me another post-it I guess. I have no idea what was formalized into the system as paid or unpaid. I guess I still need to be open for surprises. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide feedback + improvements ASAP - billing lady on 03/24/2018 at approx 8.30am.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment.... Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave.... For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
Alan Berkeley

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Noyes] might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result;
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result; however, she clearly cares about her work, her patients and helping them make a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't expect warm & fuzzy, but you'll get so much more that this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
A few aspects of my specific situation (which also then changed from first visit in 2015 to 2017/18) made the decision to try IVF a personal challenge to work through. She actively and patiently listened to me with each visit over the several year period before deciding to try it. Without trying to sway me either way, she offered her honest input - both the statistics/facts but also (and more importantly) her experience and observations as someone who has worked with many women though this decision and process.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am just about to have my retrieval (tomorrow) so unclear yet how things will go in terms of a successful cycle or not. This is my first IVF cycle but in talking with others, I think what I was on was very typical. Menopur 300, gonal-f 300 - daily for 8 days w/ antagonist Centrotide last 3-4 (?) days. Ovadril trigger shot. I am old to be trying this (45) but my hormones and all that can be tested leading up to this indicated it was still a possibility, though a long shot (Dr Noyes was clear about this but also not hopeless).
Overall i think they are too overloaded. They do very well given this, but I think it can at times compromise their focus and care. I have found them primarily to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and understanding of the trial the IVF experience is. But I did sometimes feel shuttled through an assembly line at times. At times they seemed as grumpy as we were to be there at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This has been my only experience with a fertility clinic so i don't have anything to compare it to. NYU I think is one of the larger 'factory' types of fertility clinics. And, at times I did feel that. But, that said, they do have a pretty well-oiled efficient system and I felt confident I was in good hands and that if my cycle was cancelled at any point it would not have been due to human error or balls dropped. Also, in spite of the assembly line feel at times, most of the staff (medical and administrative) I encountered were friendly and had a personality and tried to make a human connection for that brief encounter. Overall, I was impressed that everyone clearly had a sense of and respect for the difficulty & expense of this process. This was reflected in the tone of the facility and the care at each turn.
It was well orchestrated for sure. I was never there for longer than felt appropriate for what needed to happen that visit. It was not perfect (first couple times, it wasn't clear who I was seeing for the ultra sounds (a doctor, my doctor, a tech?) or what they were looking for with the first couple visits) but I advocated for myself and if asked for more info immediately got it & the nurse realized she had been too quick.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
it is the same as far as i know for all the docs at nyu... nyu cycle is 11,700 because I'm doing PGS (PGS is another 2-3,000 i think it is ...plus the outside lab fees)...there are other fees too. If I make it to transfer that will be 2,000 i think
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Her policy I assume is that of NYU's, which is single only - they wont do multiples. Higher risk of multiple pregnancies compromising heath and development of each other. I'd be a single mom if this works...so twins was not something I was eager to get out of this anyway.
Nicole Noyes
NY - 1st Ave

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.