Genetic counseling: Offered
660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629
109 West 27th St
212-263-0040
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU Langone Fertility Center to a friend?

2019 - 2020
she [Dr. DeVore] had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did!...I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation...I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan)...NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
As a patient, I had an exceptional experience with Dr. DeVore and cannot recommend her highly enough. She is by far the best doctor I have ever been to. There are a few things that really stand out: I always felt like Dr. DeVore cared about me personally -- she respected my personal values and my comfort zone, and she made recommendations that were tailored specifically to me. She is compassionate but also fully candid and honest. She never sugar coated any of the facts, and just as importantly, gave me ALL the information that I needed to feel comfortable about the decisions that we were making. She is extremely thorough in her analysis and detail oriented. I felt empowered and fully understood the process and next steps. After every appointment, I would walk out of the room, feeling like we made the right decisions. Not everything we tried worked out in the beginning, but the decision-making process and information was so clear and upfront, that we were able to pivot as needed. The entire IUI/IVF process can be extremely complicated, so this piece was HUGE. Dr. DeVore always went the extra mile. In December, Dr. DeVore let me know that in Jan 2020, there'd be a new law which meant that some New York companies would need to provide full coverage for IVF treatment. Dr. DeVore did extra research on this, guided me through the process, and even helped me follow up with billing (and insurance) to make sure we had the information needed. She even wrote a personal letter to our insurance company to ensure everything was organized and in order before starting IVF. This was HUGE and such a stress relief as the process can typically feel very overwhelming given the potential costs. I really felt like Dr. DeVore cared. I know she has a busy schedule and tons of patients, but you would never know. Dr. DeVore gave her FULL attention and dedication to me at every appointment. Even if I had questions outside of appointments, she would get back to me right away too! I've never experienced that level of personal care and can't thank her enough!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
If you're going to see Dr. DeVore, you made the right choice! Best doctor at NYU
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Shannon DeVore made me feel so comfortable throughout the process. I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers. I wanted to understand EVERY step of the process, every risk, and every potential scenario. Shannon was so patient and not only answered my questions immediately, but also gave me the level of depth that I needed so that I felt fully comfortable. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated Dr. DeVore's care, dedication and personal attention!
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
One of my biggest issues was the timing of ovulation as my cycles varied widely month by month. We started out by monitoring my cycles and doing a trigger shot. The first cycle, we learned that my follicles were not growing big enough by the time I ovulated, so for the next cycle, Shannon gave me Clomid to help with the follicle process. Although my body reacted well to Clomid, the first IUI was unsuccessful. The next month, I tried Clomid again but this time my body had a strange reaction to the medication and I had really bad cramps post ovulation. As a result, Shannon decided to pivot and put me on Letrazole instead. I really appreciated this pivot because I knew that Shannon was listening to me and not pushing me down a path (Clomid) that I wasn't comfortable with. In addition, that next month was Christmas and I already had plans to travel and see my family. She knew this was important to me so rather than doing a timed IUI (and having me cancel my plans), I took Letrazole and had sex normally (using ovulation sticks). When this didn't work, the next month, she suggested we try Letrazole + IUI again and simultaneously prepare to start IVF. She was extra careful and thoughtful about monitoring me during this time as she knew my ovulation could be pretty erratic. 4-5 days after my period, she had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did! At the same time, we were also preparing to potentially start IVF. Shannon spent so much time walking us through the process, explaining the medications, and the most cost effective solutions. She mapped out every step and scenario (we had so many questions!!). And then... in a crazy turn of events, the DAY BEFORE we were supposed to start IVF, I found out that I was pregnant! While we never went down the IVF path, I would have felt 100% comfortable if we did. In the first 7 weeks of pregnancy, she monitored me to ensure everything was going smoothly and even was there to show me the first heart beat!
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The NYU staff was very thorough an organized about calling me with results immediately, booking me for follow up appointments, ensuring our billing was sorted and organizing our insurance paperwork. It was never a problem to get in quickly for morning monitoring (I never waited over 5-10 min). And, they nurses were always friendly --- i felt like we knew each other after 6 months! In addition, we took a 3 hour, in-person course on IVF. I was kicking and screaming going into it because it meant I needed to miss a couple hours of work... but wow, it is so necessary. I highly recommend that everyone take this course before going down the IVF path
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation. I would recommend booking your actual appointments well in advance so that you are organized and can plan accordingly. Secondly, I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan). Lastly, I would do your homework on insurance! NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Fully covered by insurance except for $25 co-pays each visit (thank goodness!)
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2013 - 2018
14 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Keefe is kind, warm and compassionate, and takes time to explain and answer questions in great detail. I've only seen hime twice, both times for consultation. My only negative is that I wish I would see him more throughout the process. I only saw him for initial consultations. The rest of the time you deal mainly with the nurse coordinator and other doctors and technicians...He's not the doctor to see if you want personalized, individual attention from your doctor at every stage during the IVF process. I feel very confident with the level of care that I'm receiving and his oversight over my care, but there isn't much face time with Dr. Keefe. Their practice is so highly respected and has high success rates, that it's worth it to me.
NYU is one of the leaders in IVF and has perfected the process. They know what they're doing and I highly trust them. The downside is that they've operationalized the process so much that the experience often feels like a factory. I'd love to see greater personalization and more guided interaction...I wasted 4 months trying to get someone to help me get started...the process wasn't nearly as seamless as I had hoped it would be
2013 - 2018
14 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Keefe is extremely empathetic and passionate about what he does. He takes the time to make sure you're comfortable with the information.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After I confirmed with Dr. Keefe that I was ready to move forward with IVF, the process wasn't nearly as seamless as I had hoped it would be. I wasn't assigned a nurse coordinator and spent the next few months calling, asking questions trying to figure out the process. Finally I was put in touch with a nurse who put me in touch with a nurse coordinator. Now that that's happened, it's much better. But I wasted 4 months trying to get someone to help me get started.
David Keefe
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he [Dr. James Grifo] is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster.
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff [at NYU]...Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc...They [nurses] are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo is all about numbers. He is extremely smart, continues to do research and I find him to be candid and honest with me. After three transfers and no successful pregnancy, he is not only encouraging me to continue but ensures me that this process will result in a baby it is just a matter of time and numbers (at some point it will work). He understands how frustrating that is and is constantly encouraging me and letting me know how well I'm doing despite the anxiety, fear, pain, discomfort and hormonal roller coaster. I find him open to working with other doctors (even when he doesn't agree with their ideology), he is willing to try different things than what his normal protocol allows for. He is open to my suggestions and patiently answers pages and pages worth of prepared questions I have presented him with after doing my own research. In dealing with autoimmune issues he has been particularly accommodating and his ongoing work on Chronic Endometritis has been extremely informative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the office or the staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Nurses know my name, as does Dr. Grifo, all are patient, kind, attentive and in tune with my particular case.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
First retrieval cycle we did 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur. I had 13 eggs, 11 fertilized with ICSI. Did a fresh transfer and PGS tested the balance. Got 2 PGS normal embryos and 1 Mosaic. After failed fresh transfer we did an endometrial biopsy that was positive for Chronic Endometritis. Took months to treat that, once it cleared I did two frozen transfers that both resulted in chemical pregnancies. The first frozen transfer was done with Estrace and an autoimmune protocol that included Prednisone, Plaquenil and IVIG. The second FET was a natural cycle transfer with autoimmune protocol as well. This current retrieval cycle I am doing 300 Follistim, 150 Menopur and Letrozol.
I love these women! They are exceptional, all of them. Caring, kind, compassionate and HUMAN. They know me by name and are all cheering me on.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is big, there are always people in the waiting room. If you want a boutique experience this is not for you. Despite its size, it is extremely well run. Signing in at the computer is arguably the only time I felt like a "number." I have never experienced a mishap or mistake on behalf of the clinic or a missed call etc.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
A lot of women in the waiting room, if you show up at the very end of monitoring hours you will wait for sure. But once you put your name into the system that you arrived, you will be called in turn (usually within 20 minutes at the very longest) and from there it is a well oiled machine. You get to know all the doctors and PA's that are doing the sonograms and you know all the nurses drawing blood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
For a self-pay full cycle, with PGS testing, transfer and medications the OVERALL cost (everything included) is approximately $24,000.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. Grifo does not endorse multiple embryo transfer but is willing to do so at the patient's request or insistence.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process...When I was her patient, I felt like I was receiving the highest quality care with the best possible bedside manner. I fully trust her and would highly recommend anyone I know to her. She advocated for me, consulted other doctors when necessary, and really thought outside the box to try and help us be successful. Everyone deserves a doctor like Dr. DeVore.
Pros [at NYU Langone Fertility Center]: great Drs like Dr. Devore and Dr. Fino; because it's smaller than other practices you have a higher likelihood of being able to see your doctor more regularly than other clinics. Cons: nurses can lack empathy, in part because they are so busy...IUI, MRI (adenomyosis), Receptiva (endometriosis)...cannot recommend Dr. DeVore highly enough. Dr. DeVore has ruined me for other doctors - she is smart, thoughtful, detailed, and incredibly caring. At each step of our journey together, I felt like I had a partner in her who was thinking about my case as much as I was - she never made me feel rushed, she answered (and anticipated) my questions and concerns, and made sure I understood all of the details - because she knew it would help put my mind at ease. If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process - Dr. DeVore is it!
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was my doctor through one of my IUI cycles. When I was her patient, I felt like I was receiving the highest quality care with the best possible bedside manner. I fully trust her and would highly recommend anyone I know to her. She advocated for me, consulted other doctors when necessary, and really thought outside the box to try and help us be successful. Everyone deserves a doctor like Dr. DeVore.
Even if you think you've explored all of the options - go see her. She'll surprise you with her ability and interest in looking at your case from all sides and with open mind, an honest opinion, and research to back it up. Really - she's wonderful.
I cannot recommend Dr. DeVore highly enough. Dr. DeVore has ruined me for other doctors - she is smart, thoughtful, detailed, and incredibly caring. At each step of our journey together, I felt like I had a partner in her who was thinking about my case as much as I was - she never made me feel rushed, she answered (and anticipated) my questions and concerns, and made sure I understood all of the details - because she knew it would help put my mind at ease. If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process - Dr. DeVore is it!
IUI, MRI (adenomyosis), Receptiva (endometriosis)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Pros: great Drs like Dr. Devore and Dr. Fino; because it's smaller than other practices you have a higher likelihood of being able to see your doctor more regularly than other clinics. Cons: nurses can lack empathy, in part because they are so busy.
Describe Shannon DeVore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
We haven't done IVF with Dr. DeVore

2019 - 2020
Dr. Wertz is blunt, she provides accurate information and explains things clearly, giving me options to choose. I like that. ... Dr. Wertz is direct and clear, she provides options and leaves it up to me to decide. I like it, because with unexplained infertility there is no one answer, no one solution and personal instincts and statistical numbers are the only two things to rely on. I had a polyp removal with Dr. Wertz, she mastered it perfectly. She didn't give me false illusions that this will solve my problem and it didn't.
Human error may always happen and it's normal. I rarely have to wait too long [at NYU], my insurance approval processes and billing is handled well. I had no surprises or miscommunications so far. ... The IVF coordinator I got in touch with is rarely available, never picks up and appears overwhelmed. But the good thing is that all of them have access to information and know what's going on.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Wertz is direct and clear, she provides options and leaves it up to me to decide. I like it, because with unexplained infertility there is no one answer, no one solution and personal instincts and statistical numbers are the only two things to rely on. I had a polyp removal with Dr. Wertz, she mastered it perfectly. She didn't give me false illusions that this will solve my problem and it didn't. I had 3 IUIs and, again, I new the numbers and understood that chances are not very high. Even though I did have hopes, still my heart didn't break when this didn't work. I appreciated doctor's manner and support during this time, it helped me stay strong and avoid emotional rollercoaster.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Prepare to listen and make decisions. You come to doctor for a solution, not for compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I, personally, am not very sensitive or sentimental about my infertility and don't expect (and actually dislike) compassion or pity from a medical staff. I like to overcome difficulties with a sense of humor and stay realistic and optimistic. Dr. Wertz is blunt, she provides accurate information and explains things clearly, giving me options to choose. I like that.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
My IVF treatment should start after the pandemic, hopefully, so I have nothing to say on that front. I did 3 IUIs and too Clomid. I responded well to it and had 2-4 eggs each cycle. I decided to cancel 4 egg cycle, even though the doctor didn't insist on cancelling. I didn't want to take the risk.
I absolutely love Dr. Wertz's assistant Sarnia. She's the best! Organized, on top of everything, just a great person and professional. Otherwise, there're a lot of nurses in a process, sometimes it seems as too much. I can't remember everyone's name and phone and duty. The IVF coordinator I got in touch with is rarely available, never picks up and appears overwhelmed. But the good thing is that all of them have access to information and know what's going on.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I didn't go through full IVF process yet, due to pandemic, but overall it seems to be organized. Human error may always happen and it's normal. I rarely have to wait too long, my insurance approval processes and billing is handled well. I had no surprises or miscommunications so far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance covered IUI and I had to pay copays for ultrasound and insemination itself, $50 each. So in total I paid $300 for 3 cycles of IUI. IVF should also be covered, however genetic screening is not covered and will cost me over $4000 (up to 10 embryos, I may get reimbursement if less than 10), plus $300 for each embryo tested in a lab. I also decided to freeze good embryos, for future use, so this will be additional $7000 or more. I won't be surprised if any other charges will come up.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I have thyroid issues and a thyroid test got lost in translation somehow. As we were at the beginning of pandemic at that time, I simply ordered one from Quest Diagnostics near my house, so no big deal. The results were abnormal so I started taking my medication as usual and should be fine by the start of IVF. I consider it's a minor issue.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2018 - 2020
Dr. Hodes was kind when she had to deliver bad news, but it was hard to get her on the phone. I felt I had to advocate for / educate myself on a lot of the procedures and ways to supplement fertility. ... 1st transfer- natural cycle- did not work. She suggested Receptiva, it was a very mild positive result so then she had me take Lupron, which made me feel extremely depressed and I would never want to take it again. My second transfer was a medicated cycle and was not successful. My next transfer has been put on hold for COVID-19, but we would have tried using baby asprin/blood thinners/mild steroids.
When I wanted to speak to a doctor [at NYU] about COVID-19 instead of calling a nurse copied and pasted a NY Times article that was not relevant. ... Some of the nurses were amazing- kind and informative. Others seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and one even tried to tell me I didn't know what kind of cycle I was having! Really hit or miss depending on who you get
2018 - 2020
Be prepared that you won't receive a lot of attention.
It was very difficult to get a hold of Dr. Hodes. Most often, I would get a call from one of the nurses instead. Due to the number of patients they deal with it's very hard to find time.
Some of the nurses were amazing- kind and informative. Others seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and one even tried to tell me I didn't know what kind of cycle I was having! Really hit or miss depending on who you get.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is usually clean. They are usually organized, except during the busy times were things can get backed up. New patients coming for morning monitoring should try to arrive at 7am or even a bit before if possible. Once you get to 8am things start to get busy and there can be some bottlenecking.
I always took a cab so I would arrive by 7am on the dot in order to not have to wait so long that I would be late to work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I have requested callbacks that I never received. When I started a medicated FET cycle I called the clinic to discuss my prescriptions/insurance and a nurse insisted I was doing a natural cycle and did not need the Rx (I did). When I wanted to speak to a doctor about COVID-19 instead of calling a nurse copied and pasted a NY Times article that was not relevant.

4 IUI, IVF
Dr. Grifo does a great job about running through the statistical odds of pregnancy success while also maintaining a level of compassion / acted as a quasi therapist during my treatments. He is well respected in the industry and I feel comfortable in his care. ... Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk.
This clinic [NYU] has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
Investment Banker
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Stay organized and don’t be afraid to speak up if you want to try something and ask for his honest opinion on it. While doctors can do their best to give their most educated advice, they are not psychics and part of figuring out which treatment to move forward with is in part a personal choice.
Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk. The office itself is run like a very well oiled machine. Morning monitoring makes you feel like a number - but at the same time I am thankful they are efficient and I am in and out of there in the mornings before work.
We have done 4 IUI cycles which included clomid for 5 days, a ovidrel trigger shot and a IUI.
The nursing staff was always so nice and friendly. Sometimes can be a bit unorganized but only on minor things.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This clinic has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
All IUI costs were covered by insurance
Dr. grifo strongly urges for a single embryo transfer
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2020
Undergoing fertility treatment during a global pandemic brought on all kinds of additional questions, concerns, and complications. Dr. DeVore went above and beyond to make sure I was informed, comfortable, and aware of my options. She considered not only my physcial health, but also remembered the information I shared about my career stressors...was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
2020
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
Be honest and communicative about what you're hoping to achieve as a result of the treatments.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship, the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was prepared ahead of time, knowing that I wouldn't always see my doctor. Nonetheless, that can be jarring for those who don't expect that. Every doctor I saw was extremely attentive, prepared, and willing to answer questions and provide additional context if I requested it. The facilities are very pleasant and clean. When I returned for my second cycle, it felt like I was returning to a comfortable place where I'd be taken care of and that was very assuring for me.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring)...Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive...Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine...I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again...I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day.
European, East Asian
$500K+
Investor
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I would recommend Dr Licciardi to someone with a simple case. For someone with a more complex case or poorer prognosis, needing more customized care, I would NOT recommend him at all. I changed doctors after my cancelled retrieval and I am extremely happy I did so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be ready to advocate for yourself and do not expect to be guided at all. Ask a thousand questions if you do get the chance to speak with him (different protocols, what could they adjust, what levels are they looking for and on what basis will they adjust doses) - don’t expect any of this information to be volunteered as you may never actually see Dr L in person again after your first visit. He doesn’t always answer calls, but he DOES respond to emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring), and I felt like I got conflicting information and levels of care from different doctors and fellows over the course of each cycle. Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI cycle - Letrozole (one follicle, no pregnancy) IVF cycle - “mild” dose antagonist protocol with estrogen prime - protocol: estrogen patch + ganirelix prime; 150 iu follistim + clomid, ganirelix (17 days of stims), ovidrel trigger - result: cancelled cycle, recruited one follicle, still intended to retrieve (DOR, poor prognosis) but ovulated after trigger / shortly before retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive (once I could not reach my nurse because she was in the OR but they share files and my problem was solved by another nurse right away). Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: organized, high volume, solid nursing staff, once you learn to navigate the clinic they are very responsive, good for cookie-cutter cases Weaknesses: you’ll never see your doctor, you’ll get conflicting information from attending a and fellows (several doctors openly questioned my protocol), you will NOT receive personalized care. Also because they are so big, there’s not a lot of flexibility around scheduling (need to check a lot of boxes, little leeway). For me this didn’t work - my ovarian reserve is very low and my antral count varies month to month. I need to optimize my cycles around my body and not the clinic’s calendar, so switched to a smaller clinic with better results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
IUI and IVF were covered by insurance, meds were out of pocket (~$5000), biopsy for PGS was ~$4,600 out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
1) When scheduling my first IVF cycle, miscommunication between my doctor and coordinator meant that I never actually got on the official calendar. I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again. 2) I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day. It took me several hours to reach anyone and still never received a medical explanation for why my estrogen dropped right before the retrieval. 3) I paid upfront for PGS testing (biopsy) but retrieved zero eggs. I have spent months trying to get that cost refunded since there were no embryos to biopsy. I have still not gotten an answer from the billing dept.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The doctor [Dr. Frederick Licciardi] and his research is top notch...First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle...He felt very comfortable going with one each time [Eset Approach]. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age...I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The morning clinic [NYU] is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced...They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Licciardi is great. I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The doctor and his research is top notch. You have to be prepared mentally to deal with the NYU clinic - which is a whole other story.
We talked about common interests beyond having babies - like skiing. For me this is important - it's like a sales call, let's talk about something for a minute or two that isn't this crazy expensive stressful situation that we are really here to discuss.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the paperwork - but I could supply this later. (First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle)
The morning clinic is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It's NYU - and they have a great track record at getting the results that I wanted. I would recommend them for the work, but not the decor. Also the location is not easy to get to in the morning. I did hear that they might be opening more locations for bloodwork.
$4500/IVF
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
He felt very comfortable going with one each time. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional...is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient...34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses...From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands...They have a very strong team of capable nurses at NYU. They were all very professional and kind. They answered all of my questions and were problem solvers when it came to making sure you had the medications you need. Cherie had a lot of insight into where to go to get medications and ways to save money on certain medications by applying for grants & discount programs. The nurses before and after my egg retrieval and FET were very kind and professional as well.
European, Middle Eastern
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you can and know your medical history so you get the most out of your time with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional. From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was on a gonadotropin PGS/PGD Protocol. I started with Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 for the first 6 days. On the 7th day I was instructed to add Cetrotide in the morning in addition to Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 at night. On day 11, I took the Cetrotide injection in the morning and the trigger shot that night which was a combination of Ovidrel and Lupron. Retrieval day was a day later and 34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing. I did not have many side effects during the stimulation cycle except that my lower abdomen felt very sore on both sides. I was extremely bloated 2 days after the egg retrieval and definitely had to take it easy. I felt completely back to normal 2 weeks after retrieval.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses. I felt like I was in good hands and when going through IVF, you have to be able to trust the fertility clinic you have chosen. I never doubted my decision to go with NYU and I'm happy with the outcome I had with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance provided 20K in fertility benefits that is all going towards my IVF cycle at NYU. PGD & PGS testing from Natera costs 6K. I have paid around 3K to NYU so far. I had a copay for many of the medications so I ended up paying $350 for the medications needed during my gonadotropin protocol. I opted to do a natural cycle for my FET and was prescribed Crinone (Progesterone gel). The cost of those with insurance was $90 for a box of 15. I had to buy 4 boxes for a total of $360.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My frozen embryos were PGD & PGS tested. NYU informed me that they only do eSET for my circumstance. That is what I wanted as well.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval.... I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared
[NYU] is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior.
20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory. . I think Dr. Licciardi wanted to manage my expectations because he told me to expect 10-14 eggs, but 22 were retrieved and 20 mature eggs were frozen (age 36). What this actually means I really don't know because Dr. Licciardi made it clear that there are no guarantees.
He is not going to hold your hand during the process but you will get excellent results.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. All of the doctors are highly skilled with decades of experience so you will always be in great hands. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory.
We started out with 150 Gonal F in the morning and 75 Menapur at night and then we decreased Gonal F dosage by the end of week one. Total cycle lasted 10 days. Results were 22 eggs retrieved. 20 frozen (but 2 were not fully mature but they froze them anyway).
You may see the same nurses during blood work, but often they are different. I never encountered any nursing staff who were rude or unkind. Nurses on retrieval day were very sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There should be more preparation for administering the injections. There was an orientation but I forgot everything by the time it was time to start the cycle. It is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior. Still not sure what the actual answer is for that question.
$6900 for egg freezing and storage for one year. 1,000 for anesthesia. I received a discount because it was medically necessary for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted the option to donate my eggs if I wanted. There were certain requirements that had to be met ahead of time. I wasn’t given the correct timeline for that so I do not have option to donate my eggs if I wanted to do so. It’s not the end of the world and probably will need all the eggs.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2017 - 2019
3 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward with his communication. He is blunt when delivering statistics and probabilities. However, he has his own story of infertility with his wife and children and he has compassion for what his patients are going through. He is invested in figuring out why things aren't working and provides comfort and hope when needed. He is extremely knowledgeable and respected in this industry.
My embryo [at NYU] was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it.... I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle
2017 - 2019
3 IVF, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Have all of your questions prepared before seeing him or getting him on the phone. He's willing to spend time with you answering them, but is quick and succinct, so be prepared. He is not overly warm, but after completing several cycles with him, I can attest he is a compassionate doctor. He's not the doctor you go to for a close Dr./Patient relationship. You go to him for his expertise and experience.
Dr Grifo appeared genuinely invested in our success and showed sympathy when things did not work out time after time. He would spend as much time on the phone as we needed, answering questions, suggesting further tests, providing condolences, etc.
I did a cycle at RMA where I was on 150 of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur. Dr. Grifo studied my results and ordered me to double that protocol and do 300 of each. He also added Clomid to my protocol. These changes helped me produce more eggs.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It used to be painful to call the clinic. You got the answering service each time, even during business hours, but they have changed it recently. Someone actually answers the call and they try to get someone on the line that can help you real time. The wait times can be long during monitoring hours, but I've been to RMA as well and it's bad everywhere. Get there early. They move through monitoring quickly.
Often long waits, but the clinic was very efficient getting people in and out as quick as possible.
$20K+
He prefers to only transfer one PGS tested embryo. He says there are too many risks to the mother and baby with Multiples. I don't know if he would agree to transfer multiple. I did not press him on this because his argument makes a lot of sense.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My embryo was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it. I was really upset, given I did not have many embryos. However, I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle given one of our precious embryos was destroyed. These things can happen, and clinic handled the mishap very well.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Grifo was very encouraging throughout our process. He was mindful of both the emotional and physical demand of IVF. He was sure to communicate how none of this was our fault, talked us through each step of the process, and reassured us when things didn't go as planned.... When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps.
They [NYU] are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was recommended to us by a very close family friend. After starting our journey with another doctor, when IVF became the best next step, we had to switch for insurance purposes. Our first visit with Dr. Grifo was comprehensive and very informative. He asked us a tone of questions, talked us through the science of the process in ways that we could understand and was sure to create space and time for any questions that we might have. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and were eager to get started. Throughout my treatment, I was fortunate to visit the clinic on his "days" which always made me feel better. He was always very thorough and would talk us through the implications of anything that was going on, offering encouragement and support. When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps. He assured us it wasn't our fault and that there was hope in terms of next steps both traditional and more innovative, and even offered ideas based on his latest research. He suggested further testing to help inform the course of action. I saw him for a biopsy, which was uncomfortable, but I always appreciated how Dr. Grifo would talk me through the procedure to help pacify any fears or discomfort. Lastly, we were very fortunate that Dr. Grifo was able to transfer our second embryo, which was successful! It was so great to have him there, and provide us with the confidence and calm that we needed. He told us it was his birthday, and that he had a good feeling about it! When we saw him at one of the first ultra sounds after being pregnant, it was clear how thrilled he was for us. He expressed his joy and confidence in us as parents, and allowed us to hear the heart beat as many times as we wanted! We simply could not have done this without him and we are so thankful for his knowledge and expertise.
To be patient, and to understand that as much as you'd like to see Dr. Grifo every time you are there, there are doctors of the day for a reason. Trust that he is very informed of your journey, and is always available if you want to schedule a call or email.
We used a series of injections to stimulate egg production/growth. I was then monitored regularly to ensure the right dose/frequency and monitor progress. These injections included daily doses of gonal, a few of lupron, and then an ovulation stimulator to ensure ovulation occurred. I was also put on estragen to help encourage a healthy uterine lining for the transfer. During the retrieval process, we retrieved 28 eggs, however, the nurse suggested we use ICSI, to help ensure fertilization given my husbands sperm numbers, were just slightly under the amount they wanted. After the transfer, I was put on progesterone and estrogen to help support the pregnancy. When our first transfer failed, Dr. Grifo suggested a biopsy of my uterine lining to test for bacteria which could have influenced the transfer. It came back negative so he told us to move forward with another transfer. This time around, Dr. Grifo suggested that we might want to try something different just for our peace of mind. So we tried a natural cycle without the use of estrogen and just the use of letrazole. However, after my first visit, Dr. Grifo didn't really like that I wasn't progressing and decided to put me back on the same cycle we tried before as it seemed to work better. It did, and that is what got us to our second transfer with Dr. Grifo! After that transfer, he put me back on the progesterone shots and estrogen, however, after I told him that the shots were making me really sore, he offered my progesterone inserts to help alleviate some of the shots.
The nursing staff was very knowledgable, encouraging, kind and patient. They were very thorough when calling with results and directions. I appreciated they also help talked me through the emotional implications of all of this.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
I provided some of my thoughts on a previous question.
I fortunately had good insurance which covered most of the costs of our first cycle with frozen embryo transfer. We did however, have to pay out of pocket for the PGS testing, about $7000, and then we had to pay out of pocket for the second transfer as it put us over my lifetime max. That was $4000.
Dr. Grifo shared his concerns about transferring one PGS normal embryo at a time. Given our embryos were normal, he was pretty adamant about his thoughts on transferring one at a time to reduce risks. However, he ultimately said that he'd do whatever we wanted.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Hodes is blunt but warm. She did seem to be quite rushed each time my partner and I met with her and I ended up scheduling a second consultation with her because I left my first appointment feeling overwhelmed and confused.... I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Hodes started our first cycle with timed intercourse and a low dose of Letrozole. I did not respond to the Letrozole at all (even when the dosage was raised) or to Clomid during out next cycle.
European, East Asian
I would do some baseline research before attending your first appointment and come ready with a list of detailed questions.
While most of my time was spent with the nursing staff, I felt that Dr. Hodes made time to answer all of my questions -- including setting up a second consultation to make sure I was totally comfortable while deciding between IUI and IVF.
I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Hodes started our first cycle with timed intercourse and a low dose of Letrozole. I did not respond to the Letrozole at all (even when the dosage was raised) or to Clomid during out next cycle. At that point, Dr. Hodes recommend my partner and I move straight to IVF. I was hesitant about this choice for many reasons and after meeting with Dr. Hodes for another consultation, she agreed to let us try IUI with a very low dose of Gonal-F injectables. (Dr. Hodes kept me at a low dose due to concerns about OHSS.) I responded well to the Gonal-F and did not over produce. We completed one IUI but unfortunately the cycle was not successful. My partner and I have decided to begin IVF next month rather than trying another IUI.
The entire nursing staff at NYU is well-informed, compassionate, and efficient. They reassured me and answered all of my questions. I had many issues with my insurance coverage and offered me many tips on the best ways to save on things like lab work and medication coverage. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to get anyone on the phone during business hours.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a giant, well-oiled machine and it's hard not to feel like a number. That said, their lab is excellent and success rates for IVF are slightly higher here than at other clinics. I would recommend going to the location on West 52nd street as much as possible and staying away from the 1st Avenue location when you can. If you have any kind of insurance coverage it's best to read all of the billing paperwork thoroughly and keep copies of everything. I was incorrectly told that I did not have coverage hit up for $500 per visit by the head of billing even when I explained otherwise. This person told me my claims had been denied and that I didn't understand my own coverage . I found out later that she was not filing any of out claims with insurance. Eventually, I was able to get my insurance provider to send her an email explicitly stating that I was covered and my money was refunded. I want to assume that this issue was not a reflection of the institution as a whole but I did get the sense the NYU tries to make its patients pay out of pocket as much as possible.
My insurance covered my appointments until I received an official diagnosis of infertility. Blood work and ultrasound visits (which happen roughly 2 times a week) are $500 and out IUI was close to $4,500 including medications, monitoring, and the actual procedure
Describe Brooke Hodes-Wertz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nurses failed to give me information regarding a specific drug protocol via phone despite numerous attempts by me to get in touch. Eventually we were able to remedy the issue.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF.... The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns.
This [NYU] is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible.
Dr Licciardi has great bedside manner and very personable. He seemed interested in getting to know us as a couple and he explained our test results to us in ways we could understand. He was thorough in all the tests he recommended and always told us his expert opinion, not just what we wanted to hear. He also listened to me and my concerns while going through IUI and I felt that we came up with my fertility plan together, which helped make me feel more involved and in control. Dr Licciardi never pushed IVF on us even though he believes that will be our best route, but knowing we weren’t ready and wanted to give IUI a shot, he was supportive and helped us to try and make that happen. After 4 failed attempts we decided to take a break and I started acupuncture. He was supportive and even encouraged it. We will be starting IVF in May. The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns. My two friends have had success with Dr Licciardi so I’m hopeful and excited to see what happens.
Be upfront about your ideas and plans for treatment and email him with any questions or concerns, you’ll get the quickest reply.
Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF. He also called to follow up with me after failed IUIs and is quick to answer any questions I have over email, which is super convenient.
All of my tests came back great, however my husband had slightly low motility. We wanted to start slow so our first cycle we tried natural IUI which Dr Licciardi was very supportive of since I have no discovered issues ovulating. After that failed we moved to Chlomid, followed by two more rounds using injectables. After 4 failed rounds I decided to see an acupuncturist and get my body and mind back in shape I order to start IVF. My cycles are on the shorter side which may be causing an issue with implantation. My acupuncturist and I are working together to correct that and it’s working! I’ll be starting IVF in May with a protocol of 150 Gonal F and 150 menopur to start.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kamini)
Every single nurse or coordinator I have dealt with has been amazing. They are friendly, remember your name, comforting and knowledgeable. They always make me feel that they care and are here to help. They are responsive and informative. I am very happy with the team of nurses!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible. They answer all of my questions and never make me feel like a bother.
Our clinic does not do multiple embryo transfers and they explained the risks very clearly. My husband and I are on board.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
One of the nurses called with my 3rd IUI result and advised me I was pregnant, however, she read my estrogen levels instead of progesterone and realized it right away. She was so apologetic and says that has never happened in 18 years since she’s been a nurse. It was disappointing but I understood people make mistakes and we are all human. Dr Licciardi called me immediately after to make sure I was okay. I actually enjoyed those 5 seconds of thinking I was pregnant. :)

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Grifo has a call with me each step of the way, good or bad, to explain what is going on, to answer questions, to discuss next steps and create a plan of action. He uses his own personal experiences to relate to you, and shows empathy and compassion... He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They [NYU] are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.... Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is just wonderful. I had an experience with one other doctor as a consult and another for treatments, Dr. Grifo was the first to treat me like a human. He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable. He also shared tips outside of the treatment protocol to help give us the best chances possible.
Go to him!! And trust him and his experience and judgement.
Dr Grifo learned from my past protocol with someone else that I needed an adjustment to my protocols. In addition to menopur and gonal F we added Clomid. In my prior cycle with another dr just menopur and gonal f resulted in a cancelled cycle. Dr. Grifo adding the clomid resulted in retrieving 5 eggs, which was more than even when I did a stimulation round several years ago when I was younger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful. They are efficient and compassionate.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.
I felt this was a very efficient process. Obviously there was some waiting on some days, but nothing significant.
Medications out of pocket were about 7K, insurance covered IVF I beleive the cost was about 8K, PGS testing was $5,100 upfront for related costs but receive refund for embryos not able to be tested

2016 - 2019
Dr Fino is great. We did not see her every visit as the clinic's schedule rotated. Certain doctors did certain procedures on specific days. But our consultations and appointments with her were always great. She took time to listen to our concerns and fully explain things. It was never rushed.... NYU prefers and indeed recommends single embryo transfer, especially if you opt for PGS, due to the risks associated with a multiples pregnancy.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number [at NYU] because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.... Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Book earlier than you think. They are very busy and it can take a while to get an initial appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It's a little of both at NYU. They have A LOT of patients and a very well-run and well-organized system. I can see how people would easily feel like a number but the staff is so friendly and caring and compassionate that I always personally felt like a human, even if I was just one of many women getting shuffled through the morning monitoring process. They always had a smile and asked how I was doing.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Honestly can't remember the specifics...
Friendly and well organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.
Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this. It would be crowded but I always arrived before 7 and was one of the first patients to be seen. I actually appreciated the set up of a morning monitoring window because I could get in and out before starting my workday and get my results/instructions before the end of the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
On par with other NYC facilities but to be honest, I can't remember exactly.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
21 Eggs Frozen
[NYU] provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process....Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for....The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
21 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Fino was very thorough and professional. She patiently explained the whole process to me including risks and benefits in great detail. I took down notes during my consultation, and by the end, I had a whole page of notes. The most important thing was that she got me an amazing result for my egg retrieval. I was 37 yo, and she managed to retrieve 23 and freeze 21! I was thrilled! I was expecting about half the number of eggs given my age. On top of that, I had requested no anesthesia to save on the cost of an anesthesiologist. Basically Dr. Fino just worked with me throughout the procedure. If it was too painful, she would pause and then continue when I was ready. Even with the pausing, she worked fast and was done in 15-20min. I'm still amazed that she retrieved that many eggs and with no anesthesia!
Bring pen and paper with you because Dr. Fino can give you a ton of information and advice! The clinic will give you booklets and written instructions, but she can you answer your specific questions very thoroughly and in detail!
Dr. Fino was excellent clinically and had a compassionate bedside manner. She was warm and friendly and answered all my questions patiently.
I used gonadal F, menopur and ovidrel for the egg retrieval and freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is one of the oldest IVF clinics in the country and has a lot of experience with IVF. It is very well organized. It provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process. In fact, you cannot proceed with treatment unless you attend the orientation session, so they are very committed to educating you as a patient and informing you of all the risks and benefits. Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for. The price was worth it considering they got me an excellent result.
Monitoring appointments were first come, first serve from 7am to 10am. The earlier you went, the faster you could be seen. I personally liked the flexibility of having a walk-in appointment over making an appointment for a specific time.
+ Read more- Read less

Perhaps upon further tries it would become a more tailored, personal process [with Dr. Grifo] but we won't try there again - felt factory-like...In person the conversations were frank and direct. Upon failure of the procedure my husband and I asked to revisit what went wrong / what could be done differently. During that visit it felt like he was reviewing the details for the very first time and hadn't prepared for the discussion - like the center was indeed a factory without much tailoring or specific patient focus or analysis.
They won't transfer multiple [embryos] - against policy [at NYU]...despite having to "pay upfront" . . . I'm still getting bills a year later . .. . all in probably $40k with medicines...Very busy with lots of people coming in and out; nevertheless relatively well organized and answers were fairly timely. DId have a couple of issues with assigned nurse not being very communicative. Felt old/tired in terms of layout and cleanliness and technology...
Investor
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Our takeaway was that had ICSI been performed at the outset we would have had a successful experience. We were told NYU waits 24 hours to determine whether it's necessary "to save costs" - at $40k / IVF pop I'm pretty much all in already . . . trying to do everything possible to achieve a successful outcome and wish I'd been educated further upfront and been allowed to make my own cost/benefit analysis. Instead, we were left with "try again and go ahead and do ICSI upfront, sure" or "go somewhere else" or "give up" - not ideal choices but then again nothing about this process is ideal. Punchline - I liked Dr. Grifo but didn't think he "dug in" the first round to maximize its success so couldn't recommend him to anyone. Perhaps upon further tries it would become a more tailored, personal process but we won't try there again - felt factory-like.
Ask him if he does his best the first try to maximize results or does a one-size-fits-all approach the first time assuming you'll have to do multiple rounds and at that point he starts to focus on tailoring approaches.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They won't transfer multiple - against policy.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I was diagnosed with a full thickness intramural fibroid that was pushing into the uterine cavity, preventing me from conceiving. Dr. Fino initially recommended that she remove the portion of the fibroid pushing into the cavity via a hysterscopic myomectomy. After my first surgery with her, she suggested we go back in and clean the cavity one more time ... Dr. Fino's bedside manner is lukewarm and she's pretty much, in and out. She exhibits no real compassion and, I feel as though, she is money hungry. ...
Be prepared to meet other doctors, other than your own, throughout your visits. The clinic [NYU] is run like a factory, as most fertility clinics are, so don't be alarmed. The office opens pretty early which is nice for working individuals. ... I would have appreciated her [Dr. Fino] referring me to someone who knew how to properly manage and remove intramural fibroids; instead of performing procedures that put my uterus at risk for scaring.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I was diagnosed with a full thickness intramural fibroid that was pushing into the uterine cavity, preventing me from conceiving. Dr. Fino initially recommended that she remove the portion of the fibroid pushing into the cavity via a hysterscopic myomectomy. After my first surgery with her, she suggested we go back in and clean the cavity one more time before proceeding with IVF. I agreed. However, I should have followed my gut. The remaining fibroid continued to be a problem and Dr. Fino continued to suggest 2-3 more hysterscopic myomectomies. In this day and age, women successfully have lap procedures to remove fibroids before conceiving. I do not think that Dr. Fino had my best interest at heart. I sought a second opinion with a fibroid specialist who removed the remaining fibroid via robotic myomectomy. I healed well, transferred my care to RMA and am now 9 weeks pregnant after a successful IVF cycle. I am so happy that I listened to my gut. I would have appreciated her referring me to someone who knew how to properly manage and remove intramural fibroids; instead of performing procedures that put my uterus at risk for scaring. She is money hungry and that's the bottom line.
Listen to your gut
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Be prepared to meet other doctors, other than your own, throughout your visits. The clinic is run like a factory, as most fertility clinics are, so don't be alarmed. The office opens pretty early which is nice for working individuals.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. ... With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. ... There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours. ... NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. ... All of the nurses were amazing as they were very friendly and educational. I specifically spoke to Andrea almost every time and she was a fresh breath of air.
With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. She's a great doctor and I felt so comfortable and safe under her care.
Ask as many questions as you have ---she will make time for you and answer them. I always felt bad taking her time during my morning monitoring appointments as she had dozens of patients to see but she always insisted that I asked all my questions as she'd rather answer them in person.
Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. She shared personal information that was relatable and helped me feel comfortable under her care. There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I don't have anything negative to say about this clinic. It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours.
$14,500 for ER/Fresh Transfer ICSI + monitoring $1500 for embryo freezing $3600 + fees for PGS testing $2-8K for meds
NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. I asked Dr. Hodes on her opinion and she was very honest and explained the rationale behind it which is ultimately for the patient to give birth to a healthy baby. With multiple embryo transfer the pregnancy is at higher risk and does not increase the chances of a live birth. I know that the clinic would consider multiple embryo transfers depending on the patients prognosis and history but they treat that case by case. Dr. Hodes also went through IVF and had twins and she shared that information with me explaining how much harder her pregnancy and postpartum was with the twins vs. singleton. I really appreciate her honesty and sharing her own personal experience . Going through fertility could be lonely and having a doctor that understands not only the medical part but emotional is very helpful and beneficial to fertility treatment.
+ Read more- Read less

Produced 8 follicles, 5 mature [with Dr. Hodes-Wertz]. Fantastic results for someone with amh of .008...suggested we do pgs testing due to high FSH (when first tested 16 but then dropped) she said it was the best option for us since we were running out of time. Since all embryos will be PGS tested, NYU supports single embryo transfer...was very honest on our first meeting. I was expecting her to turn me down with my numbers but she explained age is the underlying factor and we still had a chance. She did express that we were quickly running out of time and needed to jump straight to IVF.
NYU made me feel like a person to the best of their ability. The west side is a smaller office...All the of the nurses I dealt with were genuially happy to see my cycle progressing well... The nurses line is an answering service, you leave a message and they get back to you same day. They are friendly when coming in for appointments. On the day of retrieval everyone was very positive. It gave a good feeling.
Dr. Hodes was very honest on our first meeting. I was expecting her to turn me down with my numbers but she explained age is the underlying factor and we still had a chance. She did express that we were quickly running out of time and needed to jump straight to IVF. I was not immediately made aware that I should try and bank eggs.... I found this out at a later appointment. To which she also said I’d probably need a few cycles until we were successful. She gave honest expectations but was never hard about it. I feel she truly cares for the success of my cycle and was excited when we started. I was lucky to see her for all of my week day appointments and she even did my egg retrieval. After receiving the results from genetic testing I requested a call with her in which I heard back in 2 hours. She assured me I can set up a call whenever I need to answer any questions.
Ask as many questions as you’d like. She will answer them all. But also do some research on your own so you have questions to ask. She is the expert, use her !
The entire process of IVF has to be somewhat assembly line like or it would never work with the amount of patients. NYU made me feel like a person to the best of their ability. The west side is a smaller office. Dr. Hodes secretary always answered my emails in a timely fashion. She knew who I was everytime I walked in. All the of the nurses I dealt with were genuially happy to see my cycle progressing well.
150 menupur 300 gonal Ovidrel to suppress Lupron trigger shot (2 to trigger) Everyday this was the protocol there was no adjustments. Produced 8 follicles, 5 mature. Fantastic results for someone with amh of .008
The nursing staff is very knowledgeable when calling with questions. The nurses line is an answering service, you leave a message and they get back to you same day. They are friendly when coming in for appointments. On the day of retrieval everyone was very positive. It gave a good feeling.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Make sure you educate yourself. The more you know the more you can ask and understand what you can be doing to help in anyway. Google can be scary but it can also can be used to educate and ask. The lab closes twice a year end of July and beginning of December. This was really upsetting as no one told me this and I had my consult beginning of July. I found out when the coordinator called to schedule tests and classes...I have short cycles and missed two cycles due to the closure. Between end of August and December is only 4 cycles. For someone with “not a lot of time” this was devastating. But you have to learn to just roll with it- ivf is a long hard journey, any thing can get thrown off any day.
Covered by insurance. Out of pocket $3,600 PGS testing
Dr. Hodes suggested we do pgs testing due to high FSH (when first tested 16 but then dropped) she said it was the best option for us since we were running out of time. Since all embryos will be PGS tested, NYU supports single embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After egg retrieval I was told the incorrect number of eggs that matured/attempted to fertilize. Partner had to give 2 semen samples day of retrieval. First one was extremely low, there is no explanation why.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
During the 3 cycles [with Dr. Hodes], only once was the treatment adjusted when i had poor response to the fertility drugs. i showed better results then. Not further tests were done to understand if there was another condition other than the obvious factor of age. Later, found by another doctor on the first visit, it was discovered i had a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing lots of issues. this was discovered by simply checking my prolactin levels. I am told by other doctors this should have been checked.
from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day [at NYU], you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic...Most of them [nurses] are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Doctor Brooke is warm and i believe a great physician but i think the NYU set up is not conducive to spending time with any of their patients. Communication is hard since you have to go through a portal or an email. Answers most always come via a nurse and that nurse will be a different person every time. This combined with perhaps a complex case, makes a recipe for a lot of confusion.
Do tons of research and have a lot of questions prepared. I would suggest for anybody to visit an endocrinologist first prior to starting any fertility treatments. I would also suggest to ask if there will be a lead nurse on your case.
During the 3 cycles, only once was the treatment adjusted when i had poor response to the fertility drugs. i showed better results then. Not further tests were done to understand if there was another condition other than the obvious factor of age. Later, found by another doctor on the first visit, it was discovered i had a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing lots of issues. this was discovered by simply checking my prolactin levels. I am told by other doctors this should have been checked.
the 3 rounds went pretty much the same. Gonal F + Menapure was always on the list with the same dosage indicated. the one time i showed better results was when Lupron was added for few days.
During your cycles at NYU you will see a slew amount of nurses. Most of them are nice and warm but the issue here is that there is nobody really following your case, nor they have the time. for example: 1) i asked via email what to do with my leftover lupron? and why i had an unused medication called vivelle and what were those for? to that i was left a voicemail that said lupron expires in 30 days. 2) i was told once by one nurse during a cycle, i am confused by your protocol not sure what to do. 3) during the beginning of one of my IVF i realized i had a lot of medication left over from cancelled cycle. i requested that the nurse only provides a prescription for what i needed. but again since nobody is really following your chart she said she could not do that and would leave me on my voice mail the amount she requested to the pharmacy so i can cross reference with my inventory. Then, i called the pharmacy myself to reduce the count of each medication. it is important to call out that fertility medications like Menapure or Gonal can quickly add up to a bill of 5k to 10k depending of the amount. so for me it was really stressful and careless to have gone about it in this manner.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU fertility is a renowned for their in-vitro success rates. However, from the computer check in, to the check ups done by whichever doctor in practice available that day, you will begin to understand that if your case is slightly out of the norm and needs a bit of one on one, that you must go to another clinic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
we are not entirely sure if genetic testing results for my partner were lost or simply never performed. we only found this out when we tried obtaining them to move on to another clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

I have met Dr. Keefe once with my partner and never saw him again. Nurse Carol has been my primary contact and caregiver. After 3 clomid treatments and 2 IUIs , we have not been successful yet...I would have appreciated a closer relationship with my doctor, especially having gone through 3 unsuccessful cycles...He didn’t reply my email where I explained what has and hasn’t happened the 5 months since we initially met with him and followed his treatment protocol. We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost.
the initial consultation [at NYU] was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees...We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost...Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do.
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He was compassionate but After the initial half hour consultation there were no follow ups. I would have appreciated a closer relationship with my doctor, especially having gone through 3 unsuccessful cycles.
Stay connected closely. Ask questions. Be in touch
The NYU offices are very busy. I have met Dr. Keefe once with my partner and never saw him again. Nurse Carol has been my primary contact and caregiver. After 3 clomid treatments and 2 IUIs , we have not been successful yet.
Describe the protocols David Keefe used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Clomid x2 a day- day 3-7 Ovidrel day 13
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
Nurse Carol is the best thing in this place. She is thorough , professional, no nonsense, detailed and good communicator. Always immediately calls back with answers. Really like her
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Gets very busy- some days feels like a factory. Check in is automated so it goes fast and smooth. What I really had trouble with that they take limited insurance. And won’t help you with submitting claims to The insurance company which most other doctors will do. Coordinators nurses and billing staff is very responsive. I have not been able to reach my doctor ever again after meeting him initially for consultation. He didn’t reply my email where I explained what has and hasn’t happened the 5 months since we initially met with him and followed his treatment protocol. We are in the process of moving forward with IVF after IUIs and I haven’t been able to get a hold of my doctor to get a roadmap for treatment so I can prepare for cost.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My doctorDoes not take my insurance so the initial consultation was $500 and the cost of each IUI is around $1000-$1500 and the cost of IVF is $17,000 plus outside lab genetic testing fees around $3000 plus the medication is From $2000 -$8000.
David Keefe

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Goldman] also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey...smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results.
They [nurses at NYU] are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way...The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
Kara Goldman
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

You see him [Dr. Grifo] once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They [NYU] will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before...the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs...The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Spotting Grifo in the clinic is like spotting a celebrity. You see him once in a while in the corridors, and if you are lucky, he'll see you for 1 ultrasound out of 15. When you catch him, in your first appointment or a consultation call post PGS results, he is indeed a star. He will give you his full attention, the full truth, and will be blunt about your chances, which I appreciate, but I can see some women not being a fan of. He knows his numbers inside out, which is great, but that in itself can make you feel like another number compounding that average, that median, and keep you on your tip toes secretly hoping for the moment he will pull you aside and say "look, I followed your case day by day, I know a lot about you now, and you are not part of this statistic anymore... you are you and this is what I think!" It's not going to happen, but emotionally I'm in that phase now, as I wait for for my 2nd IVF cycle yet (I'm banking after 1 PGS-tested euploid embryo already frozen). The retrieval is performed by the doctor in attendance that day, so if Grifo is there 1 out of 5 days, your chances of seeing him are 20%. I just went through the embryo transfer course from Fertility IQ and am now freaking out about the performance variances across different doctors within the same clinic. Looking forward to touching base with Grifo to know his POV on this.
Try to take your emotions out of the equation as much as possible. Convince yourself you are making the best possible choice by enduring IVF: 1) you are maximizing your chances, 2) you are controlling the outcome (if you are doing PGS you are screening the best quality embryos in advance, and you are lowering your miscarriage chances to lower rates than mother nature), 3) you are taking an expensive, emotionally tolling, short-cut to starting a family, if time is of the essence for you. Personally, IVF me dread every evening of treatment, but I took one day at a time, and even tried to enjoy the fact that I was taking control over my destiny (vs. years worth of trying, especially if you are retrieving a high number of eggs per cycle --imagine the monthly disappointments, or even mourning a miscarriage (which happened to be in the recent past). Grifo is a matter-of-the-fact person, so if you are able to rationalize all the facts above, he is the doctor for you. He can be personable, funny, and charmingly smart.
You feel like a human when you are seen by the team of doctors and nurses, but once you need a follow up call with one of the doctors or nurses, the answering system is efficient, but does make you feel like just another number. They will call you back, but it's often someone you've never spoken to before. Also, sitting in a packed waiting room and having your name called among other 10 names, definitely feels like a manufacturing plant scale... The 1:1 interactions are great (with with exception of billing), but everything else around it is of inhumane scale.
Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Lupron + HCG triggers. My body responded very well to drug stimulation, and all along, doses of Gonal F and Menopur were being adjusted by doctors so my follicles had time to mature appropriately. Cetrotide was taken to prevent early ovulation, and my triggers consisted of 2 days of Lupron and 1 day of HCG, at 36 and 24hrs prior to retrieval. Triggers are to be shot at specific times, so that generates a little anxiety, especially if you have to excuse yourself from a client meeting for a few minutes :( My 1st cycle produced 20+ eggs and 2nd cycle 20+ eggs again. Quality is very different from quantity, so if you can, PGS will give you a good reality check and ensure a lower miscarriage/bad surprises rate. I don't have final results yet as I'm still waiting on 2nd cycle results (1st one yielded 1 euploid embryo that is currently frozen).
The FC NYU is a well-oiled machine. 1:1 interactions with nurses are great. And when you have to call for questions, the message service is tremendously impersonal, but efficient. Nurses will call you back in a couple of hours, and leave very unambiguous voice mails. They are great. A few of them are more talkative and will give you invaluable tips (that should probably be part of orientation), such as: 1) if you are doing PGS, what is the best possible way to optimize timing (brith control pills); 2) if you are using the Gonal F or Follastim pens, don't throw them away if they are not completely finished as you can get a full day worth of dosage in it, or even combine it with a brand new cartridge, representing hundreds of dollars of savings in the end; 3) don't buy all drugs at once, get supplies worth a few days, because you never know how quickly your body will respond to drugs, and you might get stuck with a ton of expensive drugs you can't return.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Not a state-of-the art clinic. Success rates, doctors, equipment were what mattered to me, but if you are looking for premium waiting rooms, 1:1 attention from your doctor during the full length of treatment, immediate responses to follow up calls, this may not be the clinic for you. The academic association of this clinic warrants a team approach, so you will have to trust the team of doctors' best practices, proven protocols, years of research and published papers. The few star doctors of the clinic will be there for you if you really need them. But you will need to be a very patient patient. In FC NYU there are great embryologists, so if you fear your age is determining a lower quality of your eggs, you want that team looking at your embryos and performing biopsies. You also want to go for the PGS testing lab they recommend and trust their interpretation of results. One thing I absolutely loathed about this clinic was the billing department. Staff sitting there is misinformed, inefficient, insecure, and unprofessional. Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. Every time I know I have to deal with them, my adrenaline is through the roof. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide better "client services" training and make measurable improvements ASAP!
Efficient well-oiled machine. Nurses are very personable despite the scale of the clinic. Well-mannered, up beat, rain or shine, as early as 7.30 on a holiday. They are GREAT!
Depends. If insurance covers, the value per IVF cycle charged is lower (about $7,500), if you are paying OOP the iVF cycle is about $10,200. Retrieval anesthesia, cryo, transfer, PGS costs, drugs are all separate. I don't have all the info yet because of insurance processing delays, but if you are doing all OOP, costs are as follow (approx. total $: 24,000) - $15,300 retrieval + cryo + PGS - $1,000 retrieval anesthesia - $2,500 PGS lab testing (minimum fee, pending # of biopsied embryos) - $5,000 drugs Insurance scam I leaned about after many hours on the phone amidst my full time job: my Express Scripts insurance drug coverage gives me a lifetime max coverage of $4,000. If I process through insurance 1 pen of Gonal F 900 units, the cost is of $1,900. If I pay OOP, the cost is of $850 through the same pharmacy. So.... with my insurance I was hoping to cover at least 80% of the drugs I needed for 1 cylce, and with 2 pens of Gonal F (approx. 10% of the drugs I actually needed) my life time max was done! Appalling... specially when you read Australian blogs in which women go through 10 cycles of IVF for free...
Not discussed with Grifo yet, but my philosophy is to take as little drugs as possible, especially after the recent bombarding I did to my body, and the fact that I have no issues ovulating and a well functioning endometrium.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Billing: Even if you consider that dealing with any insurance is a dreadful process, the billing team should be 200% better at their jobs. A few real life examples: 1) on day 2 of your cycle, you have to make the payment for the full treatment, already considering what your insurance will and will not cover. I got the initial information about the PGS test price during my first visit with Grifo months ago, but when I went to actually pay for the test, the billing department surprised me by saying that the lab costs were separate and could amount to almost the same price you pay for the biopsy in FC. No one ever told us that biopsy in FC and analysis in a lab are 2 separate costs, that are almost as equally costly. End result: by surprise, we spent 60% more for a test we were initially misinformed was going to cost "only" $3,600 (it's not covered by insurance). 2) on day 2 of my 2nd cycle I was the one to bring up the fact that my insurance was not going to cover my 2nd full cycle (they have a life time max that covers about 1.5 IVF cycles). The person from billing had already charged my new PGS $3,600 and forgot to check my coverage, so I had to bring it up myself. Once she started digging, she repeatedly stood up to ask for more info from her supervisors, and every time came back with a different number. A total nightmare. That day, I spent over $3,000, and all the "documentation" I got was a poorly hand-written post-it (front and back), a copy of my credit card receipt, and a verbal statement "there is no way for us to know how much your insurance has actually covered at this point, so at some point we can refund you in case you paid in excess, but I can give you this post-it with the itemized list of expenses". WHAT?!?!?!?!? I definitely expected to get better financial information from a billing department, specially since everything else in the clinic seems to be a large scale highly-functioning well-run BUSINESS. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide feedback + improvements ASAP - billing lady on 03/22/2018 at approx 9.30am. 3) on day 2 as I was making the payment for another cycle, I asked yet another billing lady for itemization of services and wanted to confirm that the price for the cryopreservation was already taken care of (specially if you are nervous you have 1 single good embryo in the freezer, you want to make sure the contractual/financial part is in good standing). Her answer "I don't have time for this now, I should not get into any details with you, look, there are other patients waiting, I'm alone here this Saturday, whereas there are 30 nurses here today. Are you going to make this $8,200 payment now on your card? We need to move on". WHAT?!?!?!??! I'm giving you almost $10,000 and you can't give me the time of day to answer a financial question? Well, she did give me another post-it I guess. I have no idea what was formalized into the system as paid or unpaid. I guess I still need to be open for surprises. FC, please reassess billing staff + provide feedback + improvements ASAP - billing lady on 03/24/2018 at approx 8.30am.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment.... Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave.... For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
+ Read more- Read less

I also somewhat felt like a lot of her [Dr. Hodes-Wertz] recommendations were a shot in the dark guess rather than specific to me and my needs. She also hasn't followed up with me in months...From day one she wanted me to do IVF. However after my persistence, She put me on clomid for an IUI and it sped up my cycle too quickly and I missed the iui opportunity...She's very quick and always feels like she's in a hurry during appointments.
[NYU] There are many nurses and they all seem somewhat confused and overworked. The issue is their phone system. You can't call anyone directly. You have to always leave a message and they call you back. I really dislike this...Once they forgot to call in my trigger shot prescription and it arrived late....Biggest issue is you can't get anyone on the phone...I felt like just a number in all honesty...
I felt like she had hesitation when I asked if any of the fertility treatments were linked to causing cancer. Once she told me no, other times she would say "well you wouldn't want to do 10 cycles"! And it left me feeling very uneasy and unclear. I also somewhat felt like a lot of her recommendations were a shot in the dark guess rather than specific to me and my needs. She also hasn't followed up with me in months. I feel like she only wants to push IVF because it's most profitable for her. Another reason why I felt like just a number in all honesty.
Ask questions and demand clear answers. She has a way of talking in circles. She wants to tell you what she wants to tell you. Not necessarily what you want to know.
I feel like a number because she doesn't call me to check in and see how I'm doing. She's very quick and always feels like she's in a hurry during appointments.
From day one she wanted me to do IVF. However after my persistence, She put me on clomid for an IUI and it sped up my cycle too quickly and I missed the iui opportunity (because I ovulated on like day 5!). So we lost 2 months because of this. Then she switched me to letrizole which made my cycle a normal 30 days but still no luck with the iui.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Biggest issue is you can't get anyone on the phone. They have an answering service where you leave a message and they call you back at their leisure and what's convenient for them. I'm sorry, but for the money they make they could hire an actual receptionist that works for the doctor.
Co pay only at this time. Insurance covered everything else.
She is pushy for just implanting 1 embryo at a time. She herself has twins (from doing IVF) so I can only assume it's because she wants the potential for more money. However I was told I would have final say and could implant a max of 2 embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Once they forgot to call in my trigger shot prescription and it arrived late.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Noyes] might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result;
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result; however, she clearly cares about her work, her patients and helping them make a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't expect warm & fuzzy, but you'll get so much more that this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
A few aspects of my specific situation (which also then changed from first visit in 2015 to 2017/18) made the decision to try IVF a personal challenge to work through. She actively and patiently listened to me with each visit over the several year period before deciding to try it. Without trying to sway me either way, she offered her honest input - both the statistics/facts but also (and more importantly) her experience and observations as someone who has worked with many women though this decision and process.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am just about to have my retrieval (tomorrow) so unclear yet how things will go in terms of a successful cycle or not. This is my first IVF cycle but in talking with others, I think what I was on was very typical. Menopur 300, gonal-f 300 - daily for 8 days w/ antagonist Centrotide last 3-4 (?) days. Ovadril trigger shot. I am old to be trying this (45) but my hormones and all that can be tested leading up to this indicated it was still a possibility, though a long shot (Dr Noyes was clear about this but also not hopeless).
Overall i think they are too overloaded. They do very well given this, but I think it can at times compromise their focus and care. I have found them primarily to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and understanding of the trial the IVF experience is. But I did sometimes feel shuttled through an assembly line at times. At times they seemed as grumpy as we were to be there at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This has been my only experience with a fertility clinic so i don't have anything to compare it to. NYU I think is one of the larger 'factory' types of fertility clinics. And, at times I did feel that. But, that said, they do have a pretty well-oiled efficient system and I felt confident I was in good hands and that if my cycle was cancelled at any point it would not have been due to human error or balls dropped. Also, in spite of the assembly line feel at times, most of the staff (medical and administrative) I encountered were friendly and had a personality and tried to make a human connection for that brief encounter. Overall, I was impressed that everyone clearly had a sense of and respect for the difficulty & expense of this process. This was reflected in the tone of the facility and the care at each turn.
It was well orchestrated for sure. I was never there for longer than felt appropriate for what needed to happen that visit. It was not perfect (first couple times, it wasn't clear who I was seeing for the ultra sounds (a doctor, my doctor, a tech?) or what they were looking for with the first couple visits) but I advocated for myself and if asked for more info immediately got it & the nurse realized she had been too quick.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
it is the same as far as i know for all the docs at nyu... nyu cycle is 11,700 because I'm doing PGS (PGS is another 2-3,000 i think it is ...plus the outside lab fees)...there are other fees too. If I make it to transfer that will be 2,000 i think
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Her policy I assume is that of NYU's, which is single only - they wont do multiples. Higher risk of multiple pregnancies compromising heath and development of each other. I'd be a single mom if this works...so twins was not something I was eager to get out of this anyway.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires...If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart.... I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it [NYU - 1st Ave] is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I like a straightforward doctor, which Dr. Noyes is. That doesn't mean she lacks compassion, just that like me, she gets to the point and I feel confident that she understands my situation and is committed to helping me get the results I want. While I am only about a third of the way through my overall fertility plan, my interactions with her so far have made me feel heard and given me hope that this process will be successful. Dr. Noyes has created a plan that perfectly aligns with the desires I shared with her, and as we've hit bumps in the road (like a miscarriage after success with my first IUI treatment), she's been compassionate and adjusted our plan accordingly.
If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you. If you need someone to hand-hold you every step of the way, she might not be... but I've found her to be a caring and comforting doctor.
I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires to "get this done as quickly as possible." She takes the time to listen to me and always answers my full list of questions. When I miscarried, she was sympathetic, but remains positive about the likelihood of me successfully carrying to term in the future. Additionally, her assistant Alyssa is a pleasure to work with and helps me squeeze into see her or speak with her when I have questions. I have never felt like a number or like I was on a conveyor belt at her practice.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart. They've helped keep me positive about this process and frequently done a good job at answering questions before I even think to ask them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I believe this is a top rated clinic in the U.S. for a reason. I've had several friends have success with this practice, and I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen. That said, all of the staff have treated me with courtesy and care and I have never been made to feel like a number - despite clearly knowing that I am one of a large number of patients.

Unexplained, Other
I liked her [Dr. Hodes-Wertz] because she doesn't show any emotion. She tell you what she thinks right directly. But I felt that she didn't give me numerous options. "It's only one thing that you should do is this" something like that....She pretty much gives you straightforward answer. There is no hesitation....If you want just get to the business without emotional support then she is right for you.... she is good person but not friendly person
There is many nurses and workers at facility [NYU - W 52nd]. They won't remember you. They do their part. So you just show and tell your problems and they will try to fix them. There is no comfort or friendly atmosphere. If you don't want close relationship with doctor or nurse and just focusing on issues, this clinic is the best for you....There were nurses that I see at visit. But I don't know them well and they don't know me well either.
Unexplained, Other
I liked her because she doesn't show any emotion. She tell you what she thinks right directly. But I felt that she didn't give me numerous options. "It's only one thing that you should do is this" something like that. She is not bad person, she is good person but not friendly person. She tells me what's happening and what's going to happen to me without comfort. If you want just get to the business without emotional support then she is right for you.
I believe she is experienced doctor with knowledge. But you have to ask her. She is not gonna tell you 1 to 10. I think you should write down what you want to ask before visit. She is not gonna tell you extra info unless you ask.
I don't say it's her fault. But Because of big fertility center like NYU, I didn't feel connected with doctor. She pretty much gives you straightforward answer. There is no hesitation.
She told me I might have PCOS. But not quite sure. I've tried letrozole 2.5mg for first IUI. Then increased dose to 7.5mg at 4th IUI till 6th. I 've tried clomid one time. I have unexplained infertility. So her strategy was normal treatment that increase dose of letrozole.
There were nurses that I see at visit. But I don't know them well and they don't know me well either. Most of them are well trained nurses. But because there are so many patients. Again they are doing their best. But you feel like you are on assembly line.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There is many nurses and workers at facility. They won't remember you. They do their part. So you just show and tell your problems and they will try to fix them. There is no comfort or friendly atmosphere. If you don't want close relationship with doctor or nurse and just focusing on issues, this clinic is the best for you.
It's NYU. I think it was expensive. But most of insurance will cover. Website of NYU says The self-pay fee for an initial consultation with physician is approximately $500. The cost of an IVF cycle using fresh eggs, without genetic testing, starts at $12,650.
I was not there yet. But I think she would transfer one or two embryos. She didn't want me to have multiple babies.

Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Fino is exceptionally knowledgable, practical and compassionate. She spends at least 20 minutes with me every call we have and thoroughly answers all of my questions. She's also exceptionally open to hearing what research I have done or approaches I would like to consider. I appreciate that after my first failed transfer of a PGS tested embryo she gave me information on a reproductive immunologist to further explore additional options.
The NYU nursing staff is like my family. They all know me by name, are upbeat friendly faces to see every morning monitoring. Can't say enough about this staff. Really love them.... Well oiled machine. Check in at computers up front and wait to be called. Blood taken first then sent to room for the ultrasound. I always get there early and am in and out in no time.
Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't be discouraged by the fact that you don't see her very often or that you can't get immediate access to her. She is exceptionally responsive and thorough and if you schedule a call you will get all the time you want/need with her. She's been fantastic and I trust her completely.
NYU is a large fertility clinic and well oiled machine. At first I felt like a number until I learned how to operate within the system. It's difficult to have direct access to your Doctor, which is understandable given the volume of patients they say day in and day out. However, any time I leave messages with Dr. Fino's assistant for Dr. Fino I get an immediate response. They went above and beyond for me several times. Dr. Masbou who is a fellow that works with Dr. Fino is super responsive and accessible by email as well. The staff at NYU has come to feel like family and they are very responsive and well organized.
IUI protocol: letrozal (for PCOS) First Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide First Transfer Cycle: Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc First cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 750 mg Metformin, 600 mg CoQ10, 800 mg Folic Acid, 2,000 mg Vitamin D3 After failed transfer Dr. Fino performed a saline sonogram to look for fibroids and/or endometriosis and an endometrial biopsy. The biopsy found Endometritis. Husband and I were treated with strong course of 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks. Second Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide. During this retrieval Dr. Masbou performed a follow up endometrial biopsy or scratch to both confirm Endometritis was cleared and at the recommendation of Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist). Second Transfer Cycle: Includes protocols from Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist as well). Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc, Baby Aspirin (81 mg), Lovenox (0.6mL), Intralipid 20% Second cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 1500 mg Metformin, VitaCare (prescribed prenatal), 600 mg CoQ10, 1.4 mg Folic Acid (Metanx), 4,000 mg Vitamin D3, Fem-Dophilus pro-biotic, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate, Prednisone (15 mg per day), Synthroid (25 mg)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is extremely large so you have to proactively manage your care and be your own advocate. Do your research so you're prepared with your questions when you talk to your doctor or the staff. I keep a binder with all of my lab results, protocols, Insurance forms, Financial forms, general info etc. I have found absolutely everyone on this staff to be responsive and fabulous.
Our first cycle was completely covered by United Healthcare with the exception of PGS testing. The first cycle totaled approximately $21,000. Our second cycle (retrieval, PGS testing and transfer) have been completely covered by Progeny.
NYU recommends single embryo transfer for PGS tested embryos. We discussed all of the risks.
+ Read more- Read less

We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses)...You're one-on-one time with her may be limited so always be prepared with questions. That being said, it's not difficult to reach a nurse or another doctor in the practice that can help you along the way.
There are a LOT of people doing morning monitoring at NYU Fertility right now. If you arrive at the tail end of a particularly busy day (9am, as opposed to coming closer to 7am) you could be there for 45 minutes. But the staff and operations there are generally very efficient and have everything down to a science...their costs are comparable to NYC average...Mary is the main point of contact for many of the IVF patients and she is incredible. All of the onsite nurses and professional and reliable.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
There is nothing constructive to say about Dr Fino. She is a great communicator, pays attention to every detail in our paperwork/conversations and is extremely compassionate. We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses).
Dr Fino, Nurse Mary and the entire staff at NYU are fantastic. When you speak with them, you feel like you're the only patient in the world. That being said, NYU is a machine and the volume of people entrusting their fertility services can be overwhelming. In more boutique centers we visited, you can easily call or email your doctor. At NYU, you can hopefully schedule a call with them within a week.
We had completed an unsuccessful IUI with my wife's OBGYN and, given her age (almost 41) decided to move straight into IVF. With Dr Fino we timed my wife's cycle, started with the injection therapy, and did a retrieval. We are waiting to see how many viable embryos there are after day 5/6. Then the plan is to do PGS (at an outside lab) and frozen embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At the end of the day, we chose the bustling, busy operation that is NYU Fertility over a more boutique, personalized experience because of numbers. They are exceptional against the national average in terms of FET, live births, and single births. We knew what to expect and, while it would be great to be able to call/email our doctor anytime, we have been satisfied with our decision based on results so far.
We are fortunately covered for 3 cycles of IVF through insurance (but not PGS testing). From what it looks like, their costs are comparable to NYC average.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Hodes-Wertz knows how to balance giving blunt diagnosis with warm bedside manner. She has never rushed me and has always spent time to listen to my concerns. I did not feel judged for any of my questions. Dr. Hodes-Wertz is both professional, talented, confident in her practice and kind...took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor [at NYU], you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick...The nursing staff is extraordinary at the NYU langone practice. They would always provide clear instructions about my medication and injections. I always received a return phone call, if I had questions. They were so kind during my morning monitoring. I have been spoiled by their treatment!
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Hodes-Wertz is very kind and patient. She is also very smart and professional. This balance is very comforting as a patient, especially when dealing with a sensitivity of fertility. Dr. Hodes-Wertz took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments. She never made me feel judged for asking many questions about the diagnosis and treatment. I felt comfortable moving forward with a Salpingectomy because she made me feel comfortable and confident about the surgery and outcome. After getting pregnant from my first cycle of IVF and later experiencing a Pprom, Dr. Hodes-Wertz provided treatment that my OB did not offer such as an Endometrial Biopsy. I am currently in my second IVF cycle with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I have a very hopeful outlook on a successful pregnancy due to her care.
Don't be afraid to ask her any questions. She is very patient and kind. She will provide straightforward diagnosis, but she is very kind, professional and confident in all of her treatments.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz found that I had a blocked tube and suggested a Salpingectomy in order to avoid complications with getting pregnant. She performed the surgery and I recovered so quickly that I was able to be up and about the next day. She also suggested genetic and PGS testing, which I carried through with and gave me peace of mind when I got pregnant and also when I had a PProm because I could rule out genetic factors from being the cause.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor, you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick.
I was happy with the monitoring appointments as they were from 7am to 9am and easy and quick to get to before work.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz's approach to recommend both PGS and single embryo transfer made me feel safe and confident in my pregnancy.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Fino is wonderful and has great bedside manner and explains things very clearly. She made me very comfortable... No guarantees you would see her for follow-up visits due to the structure of the clinic which involves seeing any IVF doctor who is doing monitoring or procedures on the day you need to come in....Warm bedside manner. Takes her time during initial consultation. Difficult to get a hold of in between visits....here was some difficulty around communication in terms of whether I needed additional pre-conception testing,
I found the office [NYU - 1st Ave] itself to be very impersonal, difficult to connect with the same person, difficult to navigate with long hold times and often having to talk to the answering service. I also found the group orientation very impersonal and also not as private as I would like ...there are no guarantees of which doctor will see you for appointments which was not a good fit for me...Nurses were kind and helpful, but I did not like not having a point person/primary nurse
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Warm bedside manner. Takes her time during initial consultation. Difficult to get a hold of in between visits. No guarantees you would see her for follow-up visits due to the structure of the clinic which involves seeing any IVF doctor who is doing monitoring or procedures on the day you need to come in.
She is a wonderful doctor, and I would have been happy to work with her, but at NYU there are no guarantees of which doctor will see you for appointments which was not a good fit for me.
Dr Fino is wonderful and has great bedside manner and explains things very clearly. She made me very comfortable, and I planned to continue to work with her. However, I found the office itself to be very impersonal, difficult to connect with the same person, difficult to navigate with long hold times and often having to talk to the answering service. I also found the group orientation very impersonal and also not as private as I would like which is why I switched clinics.
I had a cycle of timed intercourse during which I took Ovidrel as trigger shot and then took Progesterone for two weeks after, but not successful.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Nice facility. Compassionate staff but can feel a bit like a factory with many many patients and fairly impersonal process. Monitoring hours are 7-9 am, and if you arrive close to 9 am it could take a very long time. May see a different doctor at every visit.
minimal co-pays
NYU recommends eSET
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There was some difficulty around communication in terms of whether I needed additional pre-conception testing, and it was difficult to get a clear answer directly from my doctor and this delayed my cycle but only by a few days
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
kara [Goldman] was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible...She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona...She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval
The clinic [NYU] is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate...Great nursing staff. Always helpful, compassionate and informative. Only issue with 1 nurse over the 10-15 we saw over a 5 month period.... It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
kara was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible.
Feel free to ask as many questions as possible. Note however that there is always a lot of information, but you will have multiple opportunities to go over everything at each step.
She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona
She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval. The issue we had was a shortage of eggs, so she was realistic and didnt want to waste our time and money. During the second retrieval she changed one of the meds and our result was not as good, so she quickly changed course for the third retrieval and our result was better. She also advised to do a frozen transfer as the technology was such that it would increase the genetic screening and increase our chances for an ultimate live birth. She also said she highly recommended only a single transfer as we did a frozen transfer and there was no need to to do multiples as we already know the embryo is viable, rather than the 40-50% chance of a viable embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate.
It was somewhere in between. It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
About $20,000 -25,000 per retrieval all in (including meds) and $5,000 for the transfer. This is probably too simplistic as it was a very complicated process.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
She definitely pushed for eSET as we did a frozen transfer and the embryo was already tested and viable. It got us out of the 40-50% viability with a fresh transfer. Also we were very clear we did not want twins.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There was one point where they called the Pharmacy late and given the time sensitivity of some of the medications this added some stress.
Kara Goldman
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Griffo barely reviewed my file before meeting with me. He and his staff [at NY] talked about numbers and procedures like I was a machine...My husband and I went to Dr. Grifo for an initial consultation...He then proceeded to show me to a room and asked me to put on a robe so that he would examine me. Not understanding at all why this would be part of an initial consultation, and even though I asked him repeatedly about it, in an effort to do everything I could to have a baby, I ended up submitting myself to an ultrasound and a swab. I was confused, felt completely taken advantage of, and left that place feeling like a machine
All the staff in that office [NYU Langone] treated us like we were machines. They gave us tons of papers with information, and they kept mentioning dates and enumerate steps of procedures in the most impersonal way I can possibly describe....It was clean. But being there felt very impersonal, and all the staff were pretty bad communicators. We were guided to at least 4 different desks, where different nurses and admin staff talked to us about different parts of the procedures, and none of them seemed to care about or even realize that I was so overwhelmed I was about to break down in tears.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
My husband and I went to Dr. Grifo for an initial consultation. He spoke to us for about an hour without focusing on our case - he just kept referring to statistics, graphs, and numbers. We told him that we had a fertility doctor who had already done all the standard tests on us, but that we had decided to also meet with him to be confident that we were comfortable with our decision. We couldn't have been clearer that we were there to gather information. He then proceeded to show me to a room and asked me to put on a robe so that he would examine me. Not understanding at all why this would be part of an initial consultation, and even though I asked him repeatedly about it, in an effort to do everything I could to have a baby, I ended up submitting myself to an ultrasound and a swab. I was confused, felt completely taken advantage of, and left that place feeling like a machine. A few weeks later, I received a bill, as my insurance was not covering the tests he did on me that day, something I have no doubt he knew. So I ended up having to pay for those completely unnecessary tests that I had never asked for.
Do NOT chose him as your doctor.
Dr. Griffo barely reviewed my file before meeting with me. He and his staff talked about numbers and procedures like I was a machine. I have met with other doctors, this was my worst experience.
All the staff in that office treated us like we were machines. They gave us tons of papers with information, and they kept mentioning dates and enumerate steps of procedures in the most impersonal way I can possibly describe.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It was clean. But being there felt very impersonal, and all the staff were pretty bad communicators. We were guided to at least 4 different desks, where different nurses and admin staff talked to us about different parts of the procedures, and none of them seemed to care about or even realize that I was so overwhelmed I was about to break down in tears. They have no good internal processes, and it ends up being quite upsetting to just even be there.

32 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Hodes has an excellent bed side manner because she replies promptly, listens fully to concerns and takes the time to explain her answers. She never seemed overly worried and was honest and transparent about things like the risk of engaging in exercise throughout the process. I don't think Dr. Hodes could have done anything better at all really. I recommend my friends to her. On the doctors, maybe what specifically made her bedside manner so good. How did she adjust the protocol from the first to the second treatment. Did she air on the side of conservatism or do you think she was pretty aggressive. Anything she could do differently that would make her better.
NYU is an egg freezing machine that kinda feels like a MedSpa.There, I did not always see my doctor for ultrasounds throughout the process, but whoever was on staff, and all of the doctors I had were very nice and talked me through what they were seeing on my ultrasound as well as how much longer they thought I had in the process...I liked the West Side location for blood and ultrasound much better because there was never any wait like there can be on the East and you can go right before 9am (not so early as the East side) and be out by 9:15am. I found it more efficient, faster and easier for me since I live on the West side.
32 Eggs Frozen
Utilize the west side clinic.
In my first cycle, I was on the cusp of having retrieval a day sooner or later. Dr. Hodes opted for later and thus 3 of the 20 eggs I got were "over baked"; however, 3 were still under baked. In the second cycle, I was ready for retrieval two days sooner than the first, so I got less hormones and a better result of freeing 18 eggs out of 23 retrieved. I am not sure if my body just produced better the second time, or Dr. Hodes used her learnings from the first time to make the second time more efficient.
The nurses as well are very nice and knowledgable. They are friendly, yet do there best to get you in and out as quickly as possible. They definitely have their process down to a T.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Grifo may come off as cold and standoffish; however, you should not be afraid to ask any questions. I would encourage to ask as many questions as possible and pick his very knowledgeable brain. Be your own advocate!...Dr. Grifo is very straight forward and says it like it is. He is very into his statistics and its all about the numbers. He provides you with the different options for you to make the decision. To me he basically admitted that he has no idea why I am not conceiving and said its a luck game. He even said "If you tried naturally for 5 years you would probably get pregnant". He said if I want to rush he would do IVF(which is costly) but then also suggested I try 3 letrizole IUI cycle after having 3 failed clomid IUI cycles. With Dr. Grifo I tried 1 letrizole cycle which unfortunately failed. I suggested to try an injectable IUI cycle as I wanted to try something new; however, he did not agree with that and said that he would want to do IVF instead of injectables. I did not understand from him or his nurses why it is a problem to try injectables before IVF. Also I have an autoimmune
My experience at NYU was pleasant. Wait times were not long and the clinic was not super crowded. The nurses have a good eye as they were able to catch things my previous RE didn't catch. They are all very patient even when I called many times...The nurses and other staff are very caring and patient. They return phone calls and emails promptly. When I needed a copy of my records emailed to me they had it done very quickly.
Middle Eastern, Other
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward and says it like it is. He is very into his statistics and its all about the numbers. He provides you with the different options for you to make the decision. To me he basically admitted that he has no idea why I am not conceiving and said its a luck game. He even said "If you tried naturally for 5 years you would probably get pregnant". He said if I want to rush he would do IVF(which is costly) but then also suggested I try 3 letrizole IUI cycle after having 3 failed clomid IUI cycles. With Dr. Grifo I tried 1 letrizole cycle which unfortunately failed. I suggested to try an injectable IUI cycle as I wanted to try something new; however, he did not agree with that and said that he would want to do IVF instead of injectables. I did not understand from him or his nurses why it is a problem to try injectables before IVF. Also I have an autoimmune condition; however, he does not believe it affects my infertility; however, he was open to me being on certain medications such as blood thinners if needed during a cycle. But they would have to be prescribed by another Dr. such as hematologist, rheumatologist , RI. Right now I put a hold on treatment as i am moving apartments, i am looking into a Dr. who will try an injectable IUI
It is a smaller clinic less doctors. The nurses really care and return phone calls/ and emails Promptly
I did 1 Letrizole IUI cycle with ovadril, I produced 2 follicles 1 large the other smaller. Unfortunately it resulted in a negative pregnancy test. He used Letrizole to try something different because I had 3 failed clomid IUI. He also re-tested my platelet count because they appeared to be slightly below the norm. I was very happy they caught the low platelet count because when I was at RMA they missed it. His nurses were reviewing my records from RMA and noticed this low platelet count. I went to a hematologist and turned out to be the platelets were not such a big issue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carole and Andrea )
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My IUI was covered by insurance; however, I had to pay for the Ovardril approximately $75 and ultra sounds were applied to my deductible which was about a total of $198
I did not do embryo transfers but in my initial consult Dr. Grifo strongly disagrees with transferring more than one embryo.

2014 - 2017
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Licciardi was great about calling me back when I requested a phone call, but he didn't always seem to know who I was or where I was or in what kind of cycle...He is very honest and up-front. Be in touch with him a lot if you want actual feedback re your protocol... He will not oversee your actual case but if you want him to check something, he will. I think in all of our cycles I only saw him in the ultrasound room once during morning monitoring periods.
The staff at the clinic [NYU] are friendly and upbeat and are generally good about being efficient. They are great about calling roughly when they say they will. Not as much personal attention as I would like...I did have a few things go not-so-smoothly, like being told to take the wrong dose of medication or given the wrong instructions post-procedure...Be prepared to show up closer to 6:45 a.m. if you want to get in and out of monitoring fast.
2014 - 2017
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
I think Dr. Licciardi is a very caring doctor and has a lot of patients and I appreciated his attention during our appointments but wish I had called him more often during actual treatments to see how he would have responded. As I wrote earlier, he does always call back within a reasonable amount of time but doesn't always seem to know why I would be calling and he would answer questions that I think are significant pretty quickly, so that I wondered if he was considering all of my own unique information or just answering generally what he would tell a patient in a similar situation.
He is very honest and up-front. Be in touch with him a lot if you want actual feedback re your protocol. Don't rely only on the nurses. He will not oversee your actual case but if you want him to check something, he will. I think in all of our cycles I only saw him in the ultrasound room once during morning monitoring periods.
Dr. Licciardi was great about calling me back when I requested a phone call, but he didn't always seem to know who I was or where I was or in what kind of cycle. As a result, I think I was addressing one concern while he was talking about something else, that I didn't even know related to me. When we had actual appointments, he was attentive at those times. Once, I ran into him on my way out after an IUI under his care/protocol, and he didn't wish me good luck or even smile; I thought this was a little odd, but then realized he was probably very busy and/or preoccupied.
For the egg freezing/retrieval I think he went to highest dose on everything because of my age and other health issues. I was at first freezing eggs as a single woman (with my first doctor, not Licciardi) then embryos with partner for future use (with Licciardi) and eventually thawed the eggs I'd frozen with another doctor (now working with Licciardi) to make those into embryos and did 2 cycles of FET using the eggs from my youngest age. He had me on progesterone shots for one FET cycle, with estradiol pills, even though my cycle is very regular; I was never sure why. And I was on progesterone suppositories for the second FET cycle, no estradiol. I don't remember the egg freezing exactly as it was a few years ago but it was some combination of Gonal-F and Follistim and ovidrel. I know I didn't do the medication that you have to mix together at home when i did the cycle for freezing with him. I'm not really sure of his rationale for the egg freezing -- I guess it's the usual protocol he starts with then adjusts if it doesn't work? For the FET I also didn't know why we were using estradiol when estrogen always normal and I ovulate on my own. Second cycle of FET we tried suppositories because of the pain at my injection site. Also would only transfer one embryo at a time because he said was big risk in having multiples and did NOT recommend PGD or any other biopsy pre implantation. I think he said because egg quality was good. I did have an IUI with letrozole days 3-7 (was supposed to be days 5-9 but there was a miscommunication re what day my period actually started). Also used trigger shot in the morning about 27 hours before IUI. I got pregnant but miscarried around 9 weeks (I had been transferred to OB after heartbeat.) Went back for another IUI two months after miscarriage; not successful.
Very hit or miss. Some excellent nurses. Some not so excellent nurses. It seems in the five years that I've been a patient at NYU that things have gotten more like a factory and there is just a huge volume of patients, more than there was when I was first there. For the most part, everyone is cheerful and upbeat, but they don't all have the same level of experience and I was given misinformation at least once. Also came away from blood taking very bruised once or twice. Had to ice and it wasn't when I was having daily blood tests. On the plus side, if you do get to know one of the nurses, sometimes you can get that person's direct line if you want their opinion. Nurse's take of picture was sometimes different than my doctor's so it was confusing at times.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The staff at the clinic are friendly and upbeat and are generally good about being efficient. They are great about calling roughly when they say they will. Not as much personal attention as I would like because I have multiple health issues. If you are considering IUI, there is one nurse who i think is much better at it than the others but that might just be a personal preference. Be prepared to show up closer to 6:45 a.m. if you want to get in and out of monitoring fast. If you come later, definitely longer waits, especially if you need an ultrasound, too. Definitely be proactive and make sure to communicate with your doctor as much as you are comfortable doing. You must be proactive. I have not been to other clinics so I don't know how this one compares.
It went relatively smoothly when I was able to be there by 6:45 a.m. Hours don't start till 7 a.m. but like everything in NYC, people get there early and start to line up. When I really needed some sleep and went in a little later, different story. Also, the nurses would ask me for my allergies and what medications I was taking each time even though it was in the computer. I started carrying a list. I think all they cared about was latex but if you have a long list of allergies that you yourself can't remember, it's frustrating to have to recite it every other day. Then sometimes the doctor would make a change of protocol and I wouldn't know why or know that I needed to have my partner there with me for consent forms. It sometimes went flawlessly, other times, not at all so.
First round, years ago, all out of pocket and nearly $20,000 for an egg retrieval and embryo creation (for freezing). Then the clinic went in network and my 2 FET's were covered by insurance but I reached my lifetime maximum fertility benefit with the 2 FET cycles and everything is out of pocket. I haven't gotten the bill for the IUI but looks as if it will cost a couple thousand because of all the morning monitoring. (I never get the home ovulation test kits to work right for me so I chose to have monitoring done at the clinic and I required a lot during the cycle post-miscarriage.)
For me, he definitely was set on single embryo transfer and would not even discuss allowing me to have more than one embryo transferred. He would not budge.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I did have a few things go not-so-smoothly, like being told to take the wrong dose of medication or given the wrong instructions post-procedure (while I could hear what other patients were being told). When I was given wrong instructions for medications, it meant I had to scramble on a weekend to get extra medications. In one case, re being given instructions post-procedure, I asked the nurse if the instructions she was giving to others applied to me and she said yes, of course. And then gave me instructions but I was otherwise going to have left without those unwritten instructions. I hope since standard they will start writing them down for everyone. This was for an FET. At another FET I was asked to have half-full bladder on arrival; I then had a 1.75 hour wait for procedure (the FET was very late, long after my appointment time), so a nurse told me to empty my bladder when I felt I had to pee. I emptied partially. Then she told me to completely empty bladder. So I did. Then the doctor was ready to do the transfer and couldn't believe I had voided. Big fail, if you ask me. Then as for the IUIs, on the 2nd, I was in so much pain during the procedure and she did it so slowly that I wondered if she knew what she was doing. And in the case when I was actually pregnant, I had a nurse tell me that the beta was super low, barely a positive; but then the doctor told me it was actually a very good number. The nurse performing the IUI that was successful was very good and I would love it if I could always have her perform them.
+ Read more- Read less

Embryology lab [at NYU] messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. They charged us for the entire amount during the second retrieval only for us to chase them down to say they were in-network with our insurance provider. Nurse failed to call in a couple prescriptions, so we had to follow up on a couple of occasions.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Berkeley was great in the initial consultation. He was also great at reviewing the probabilities of women my age being able to conceive using my own eggs. He is very knowledgeable and experienced in this field, so we trusted him completely. He knows what he's doing. The only critical feedback I would give Berkeley to date is communicating better with the patient 1) he didn't mention during the initial consultation how many rounds of ovulation induction and retrieval this might take, especially for someone in my age group. 2) Each failed cycle, we would have appreciated a sit-down face-to-face meeting rather than a follow-up phone call. Since the initial consult and the first retrieval, I haven't really met with Berkeley, other than the occasional ultrasound during morning monitoring. Depending on the schedule, I was able to see other doctors at the clinic during morning monitoring, retrievals, transfers, and other procedures. Those other doctors, during my short and limited interactions, especially Grifo and Hodes-Wertz, exhibited greater empathy and compassion, which I viewed as a plus.
Go into your initial consultation fully organized and prepared with any prior lab work, medical history, genetic testing all relevant to fertility. Also, make sure that you get clarity on exactly what blood tests and exams you'll need done or updated prior to starting any cycle; infectious disease panel, day 2-3 labs, semen analysis, mammogram, etc. Also, know that you as patient will have to be the proactive one. You'll have to make tough decisions on how many rounds of IvF you can handle, whether to transfer mosaic embryos (if that is all you have), how many transfers you're wiling to go through, and when to call it quits. I understand why NYU Fertility doesn't proactively nudge you in either direction because they are first and foremost a clinic (not a research lab). But likewise, don't expect any proactive outreachor guidance on whether to continue (unless explicitly advised otherwise) either.
I dealt mostly with the nurses and fellows. Some of them were very nurturing, caring, and competent. Others were less so. Depends on who I got. Dr. Berkeley is a very matter-of-fact, analytical doctor. He gives you the straight answers and instill confidence in you that he's competent, experienced and knowledgeable. That is the primary reason why we went with Dr. Berkeley for all of our IvF rounds. His communication skills and bedside manners weren't always as consistent or strong. But we knew that going into the journey not to expect any hand holding of any kind from Dr. Berkeley.
For the first three ovulation inductions, he prescribed 225 Follistim or Gonal F, 150 Menopur, and Ganirelex. For my trigger shot, I had to take 2 Ovidrels. For the fourth ovulation induction, I had the same protocol, except he also added clomid. For the one frozen embryo transfer, I was on estrace, medrol, progesterone in oil injections.
Nurses overall were pretty good. They communicated instructions pretty well and were generally good about returning calls. A couple nurses in particular were outstanding - they were not only competent at their jobs, but patient with listening to and answering all questions, compassionate and caring, which went above and beyond. Sandra, Nicky, and Lavina, were a few of the exceptional nurses; they were really kind, and I appreciated their compassion throughout the process.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Different parts of the clinic could get on the same page about protocols. Seems like the patient coordinator and nursing staff weren't always communicating the same things - for example, when I can start my FET cycle while waiting my PGS results - patient coordinator said no, nurses said yes - that caused confusion. Some of the preliminary lab test (infectious disease panel bloodwork) fell through the cracks so I had to re-do them. Embryology lab messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. One thing I wished NYU Fertility could have provided is some type of counseling prior to the process and during the process. I'm not talking about psychological support - because they had that, and frankly, we found unhelpful. What I'm talking about is someone who was willing to walk us through what to expect in terms of the various decisions we would have to make, how to think through how many rounds, whether and how to make the tough decision on transferring mosaic embryos, how to manage pregnancy loss, when to call it quits, and someone we can provide feedback to directly (and not just some on-line survey after every procedure), etc. Not just what to expect from a medical perspective, but the impact IvF, FET and mosaic transfers may have emotionally, financially, etc. Someone who acts as an advocate for the patient. At this time, the nurse, patient coordinator, genetic counselor combined fill that role in limited capacities. But as patient, we had to seek that out and connect the dots ourselves. Perhaps this is a resource beyond the clinic's capacity, but that would have been helpful.
Morning monitoring was open without appointments between 7 AM and 9 AM. For the most part, that seemed fair and reasonable. NYU was good about not having to bring you in unnecessarily. One advice to future patients is if you're going in only for blood work, see if you can move up the queue, because I often waited a long time unnecessarily just to give one vile of blood. You get mixed in with the rest of the patients waiting for ultrasounds.
Each IvF cycle for Phase 1 - that includes ovulation induction, morning monitoring, egg retrieval (not including Anesthesia), biopsy of up to 6 embryos (for PGS purposes), cryopreservation of embryos and transportation costs to reprogenetics lab was $15,150, out of pocket. The Phase 2 - which is the frozen embryo transfer as part of this IvF cycle was $2000 out of pocket. After our second IvF cycle, NYU began to accept our insurance, which helped with bringing down our costs. However, our insurance did not cover biopsy, shipping/handling of samples. Reprogenetics, the lab that performs the PGS tests, had their own fees, which were all out of pocket. We were charged $1000 base fee, plus $250 per embryo.
I was strongly advised by Dr. Berkeley, given my age, to do PGS and aim for a single embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Different parts of the clinic could get on the same page about protocols. Seems like the patient coordinator and nursing staff weren't always communicating the same things to us - for example, when I can start my FET cycle while waiting my PGS results - patient coordinator said no, nurses said yes - that caused confusion. Some of the preliminary lab test (infectious disease panel bloodwork) fell through the cracks so I had to re-do them. Embryology lab messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. They charged us for the entire amount during the second retrieval only for us to chase them down to say they were in-network with our insurance provider. Nurse failed to call in a couple prescriptions, so we had to follow up on a couple of occasions.

9 Eggs Frozen
I felt like she understood me and didn't judge me....When I came out of moderate sedation, i was very tearful that only 2 eggs had been retrieved. In their make shift PACU she [Dr. Nicole Noyes] seemed rushed and didn't really console me. I guess she was busy, but it did put me off a bit with her. I also didn't feel like she really adjusted my hormone dosages the second time to yield more eggs. I felt like she kept the same protocol sh had for my first retrieval. I wish she would have altered it and maybe I would have gotten more eggs.
It [NYU Fertility] is a busy clinic. It's like the DMV. Take a number and you will be called. Packed to the gills!...Autumn is awesome. She is very compassionate, patient and sweet. I really like her as my coordinator...10k for the procedure/labs/sonograms (all those included under the number), about 10k for all the meds(depending on how your body responds to her treatment plan with meds can make cheaper or more expensive), 1200-1400 for anesthesiologist for egg retrieval
9 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I felt she showed compassion on my initial visits. My first retrieval yielded 7 eggs. My second only 2. When I came out of moderate sedation, i was very tearful that only 2 eggs had been retrieved. In their make shift PACU she seemed rushed and didn't really console me. I guess she was busy, but it did put me off a bit with her. I also didn't feel like she really adjusted my hormone dosages the second time to yield more eggs. I felt like she kept the same protocol sh had for my first retrieval. I wish she would have altered it and maybe I would have gotten more eggs.
She is very open with sharing her own personal stories, but she isn't warm and fuzzy. If you are looking for warm and fuzzy, you won't get that from her.
She was very candid about her own personal life. She made me feel like she could relate to my plight of being a physician, busy, hard working and having not met the right man yet. She was very forthright about her own struggles as a female physician. I felt like she understood me and didn't judge me.
She used Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelex
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Autumn Arroyo)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It is a busy clinic. It's like the DMV. Take a number and you will be called. Packed to the gills!
A cattle call. So many women there waiting for labs and sono. Very busy!

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I think Dr. Fino is very kind and explains all of your options well. However, in my 9 months of treatment, I only saw her twice. She does seem very busy nonetheless so your time with her is limited...was on 9 cycles of Letrozole with no changes in treatment over the course of that time... Doctor is difficult to get ahold of by phone...Dr. Fino is very nice and has good bedside manner...when I had phone appointments with Dr. Fino, she was always at least 45 minutes late...
[NYU] Strengths - they have experience and see a high volume of patients so probably know each and every possible case or explanation. Weaknesses - very little doctor content, feels like a factory, nurses and billing are impossible to get on the phone. You will call 4 times, and every time they will say you will hear a response in by end of day, and you do not. It gets extremely frustrating on top of everything else that goes along with this process.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Lower expectations of doctor facetime/contact. Doctor is difficult to get ahold of by phone.
Dr. Fino is very nice and has good bedside manner.
I was on 9 cycles of Letrozole with no changes in treatment over the course of that time. In addition, I had one surgery to remove a polyp that she thought might improve my chances.
Nursing staff are better in person. It's impossible to get them on the phone. Much better off stalking them in person.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
IUI cycles top to bottom are about $1500-2000 per month depending on the monitoring costs. As I move onto frozen transfer IVF, it is estimated it would cost about $18k top to bottom.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I had many issues that arose where I needed to speak to nurses, or billing, or records, or Dr. Fino's assistant, and they just do not return your phone calls at all. It often requires 4+ messages before someone will call you back. It becomes very frustrating. In addition, when I had phone appointments with Dr. Fino, she was always at least 45 minutes late.
+ Read more- Read less

The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear....Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout.
Overall, the nurses [at NYU] were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring....I went about an hour into the monitoring hours, after the morning rush but before the latecomers. I don't think I waited more than 15 minutes any morning. Very efficient.... NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself.
Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout. We were not from NY, and Dr. Licciardi worked with us, to enable us to do part of our cycle with my local Dr. Dr. Licciardi does lecture around the world so he is not always in the office, but even when traveling his staff can usually reach him,
Ask questions. He offers the information the average person wants to hear, but if you are like me and want to understand all the details, ask him to elaborate. He will, and he will explain it clearly until you are satisfied. Also, you can't separate him from the NYU, the clinic that he practices in - NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself. However, we were happy with almost all the nurses and staff there and always knew we could go directly to Dr. Licciardi with questions or concerns.
The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear. His caring demeanor continued throughout our treatment. When he spoke with us, he explained his recommendations and patiently answered our many questions.
We had MF (low sperm count) and FF (PCOS). We came to Dr. Licciardi after having done a surgery for MF, monitored cycles and IUIs and having had one miscarrigae. We knew we wanted to move on to IVF. Dr. Licciardi recommended a basic IVF protocol - gonal-f, PIO, ganirelix, doxycycline, ovidrel trigger - as our medical presentation made us good candidates for a basic cycle. Thankfully, he was right. We were able to transfer 1 fresh embryo, and froze 5 all of which were BB or above. We failed the fresh cycle - I believe my body was just too traumatized from all the meds of the cycle. We took a month break and came back for a FET, which was successful.
We dealt with many nurses and there was only one we didn't care for. Overall, the nurses were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring. Again, NYU is a large clinic and it is important when dealing with so many different people that you are your own advocate and make sure the nurse you are speaking with is aware of the full picture.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is top center. It may have been overwhelming for us if it was the first stop on our fertility journey. By the time we got to NYU, we were reassured to be in a place with top doctors and labs, and were fine with not having the amenities of a concierge practice. If you are just starting out and using NYU it may be more challenging, though I would still recommend them. We had a consult in another top clinic, and we found NYU to be a lot more caring and small-feel despite its prominence.
12,600 for IVF cycle + 3000 for ICSI + 1000(?) for embryo storage
From what I understand, Dr. Licciardi feels strongly that it is safer to transfer one embryo, and rarely recommends transferring multiple. We discussed this at length with him prior to our FET, and ultimately trusted his judgment and transferred one.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Berkeley is not an easy man to reach but when you have an appointment with him, he takes all the time you need to explain every details of the treatment options and answers patiently all your questions. He never made me feel like my questions were stupid or like I am wasting his time. He is compassionate and understanding...Don't hesitate to ask for an appointment with him and don't hesitate to ask questions. He likes to share his knowledge. If you have an urgent question on your treatment, I would go through the nurse though.
The clinic [NYU] is well organized however, because it is big, there are sometimes miscommunications especially between the medical team and accountability. I would advise to take the time to sit down with one of the accountants to discuss with them the financial side of the treatment and have them fully inquire about your medical coverage. I wish I had a better understanding of my coverage when I started. I think I would have made slightly different medical decisions...The clinic welcomes a lot of patients per day and, while everyone is friendly, they don't have time to get personal. The nurses are your primary interlocutors so they do know you better and they do their best to listen to your worries but sometimes it felt like they did not have the time nor the energy to sooth your worries and anxieties.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Because I am an SMC, I had to do 6 natural IUIs before my insurance would kick in. After that I started with medicalized IUIs. I took Clomid from Day 4 to 8 twice but had serious side effect. I therefore refused to take it again and asked for another option. I am now taking Letrozol from day 4 to 8 and Ovridel to trigger the ovulation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carole)
The nurses and the nursing staff have to deal with a lot of patient. While they try their best to have time for each patient, it is not always easy. I remember being really upset after my second Clomid cycle did not work and I discovered I had 2 cyctes and the nurse not being very compassionate about it... like she did not know what to do. I am sure it was not the first time, a woman cried in their office. I was surprised to see how they poorly dealt with it.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is well organized however, because it is big, there are sometimes miscommunications especially between the medical team and accountability. I would advise to take the time to sit down with one of the accountants to discuss with them the financial side of the treatment and have them fully inquire about your medical coverage. I wish I had a better understanding of my coverage when I started. I think I would have made slightly different medical decisions.
Around $500 for a natural cycle IUI and I think around $1200 for an IUI with monitoring and medication
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Grifo was always kind and compassionate with every conversation. I only met with him in person once, but he was always available for a conference call with my husband and I and we never felt rushed when on the call. I felt like he really understood how tough this process is and how much of an emotional roller-coaster it can be.... He explained the science and numbers but in a compassionate way. He's clearly seen it all and would give advice, but also understands that every experience is individual and personal and deserves that attention.
Dr. Grifo's assistance was extremely nice and helpful! Everyone else [NYU] was nice, as well. The only issue was the wait time for monitoring was often pretty long. Although you may feel like you're just one of too many, once you see someone they are very nice and always answer questions. Billing was helpful, as well.... There were two main nurses I saw who both did the IUI. Both were nice and chatty in a good way as it relaxed me. With one the procedure hurt, with the other not as much, but both were nice and answered questions I had.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I am so happy I saw Dr. Grifo as my first fertility doctor as he was so great at explaining everything. He explained the science and numbers but in a compassionate way. He's clearly seen it all and would give advice, but also understands that every experience is individual and personal and deserves that attention. My only complaint is that I would have preferred to have seen him in person during my iui's
Make sure you request phone calls with him since you won't see him in person (if doing an IUI). But he is very responsive and receptive on the phone.
We did 3 IUIs. Each time I took clomid and went in for monitoring. Trigger shot and then the next day came in for the IUI (done by a nurse). My husband gave a fresh sperm sample.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. Grifo's assistance was extremely nice and helpful! Everyone else was nice, as well. The only issue was the wait time for monitoring was often pretty long. Although you may feel like you're just one of too many, once you see someone they are very nice and always answer questions. Billing was helpful, as well.
My insurance did not cover IUI so I think we paid between 1-2K per cycle
+ Read more- Read less
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Grifo] was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure.. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds...The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind...Despite the size and being part of an academic institution, I never felt like a number at NYU. My treatments were so customized and the Drs and nurses so personal, I felt like they really knew me. The technology was also great; iPads to sign in quickly, online secure emails and online videos to help w/ injections.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Grifo was transparent from the get go about our chances of success. He used data regularly to supplement his commentary. He was so, so human and made us feel like heroes for undertaking IVF, as opposed to failures who couldn't conceive. He shared his own story of infertility and all of the associated feelings. I felt so comfortable from that first visit; I was depressed, angry and confused, and Dr Grifo was understanding of each of these emotions and offered suggestions to help. He never made me feel like just a number. He was patient in person and by phone, always answering our questions and personalizing his advice.
Go sooner rather than later.
From the initial visit, it was clear Dr. Grifo was different. He was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure; can you even imagine a pioneer of IVF feeling like this, let alone admitting it? He made me and my husband feel hopeful, but again he utilized data to explain his beliefs and confidence. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily (this was certainly not the case at the prior clinic where we went through three, unsuccessful egg retrievals. The nurses were supremely confident, down to earth and competent. Furthermore, I felt like they were rooting for me and knew me. The Dr who performed the transfer (not Grifo) was incredible; she was realistic, yet optimistic and spoke to me like a real human (not just #7 transfer today).
While at first my protocol looked similar to the prior clinic we'd used for 3 rounds of eggs retrievals (all unsuccessful), I quickly saw that NYU was different. The nurses and Drs were constantly evaluating and tweaking my dosage. I took clomid pills, menapur injections, ganerilex injections and double trigger shots. For the transfer there was vaginal and oral estogren pills, as well as other injections. I produced 21 eggs for retrieval, 3 survived until day 5 and 2 tested normal w/ PGS. We transferred 1 embryo and I'm due to have a baby in less than 6 weeks.
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds. I have to be at work by 8am and going to NYU on the East side would've been very stressful. The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr Grifo did not accept my primary insurance (Cigna) but did take my secondary (UHC). Many things were covered, but this was our fourth egg retrieval in 1 calendar year so we didn't have a lot of coverage left. Out of pocket was ICSI and PGS, and they charged you in advance and refunded the difference (if fewer embryos made/tested).
We had 2 PGS tested embryos at the end of the retrieval and asked Dr Grifo his thoughts on transferring both. He strongly preferred transferring one, saying odds for pregnancy wouldn't increase w/ 2 and given my age (39) why risk both taking and having an even higher risk pregnancy. His rationale was, would you be more upset to not have a 3rd child or lose both and not get the 2nd you've been trying for all this time.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Be prepared to work with her team more than her [Dr. Hodes-Wertz]...I came to Dr. Hodes-Wertz with PCOS. I was not ovulating and my parter had sub-optimal sperm. I was put on a dosage of Letrozole. The first dosage wasn't enough, but an increased dosage got me ovulating. We were able to use a washed sample of my partner's sperm to do IUI. The whole process was very quick and efficient - only 3.5 weeks from my first visit with Dr. Hodes until the IUI. The IUI was successful and I am now 7 weeks pregnant with twins!
They [NYU] are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant...I was seen in 2 different offices. The smaller west side office on W 52nd Street was wonderful. The team is small and very friendly. When I called or came in to the office they knew exactly who I was. I also had to go to the main NYU Fertility center on 1st Ave for blood work and ultrasounds. At the main facility I was just a number. They are incredibly efficient and move people through quickly, but it means that each time I saw different people and to them I was just a name on a piece of paper.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I only saw Dr. Hodes-Wertz 3 times during my treatment, but found her to be very informative with good bedside manner. After our first meeting with her we felt very confident that she knew what she was doing and we were in good hands.
Be prepared to work with her team more than her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
The NYU Fertility Center nursing staff is amazing. After each visit I received a follow up call within 24 hours with test results and instructions on next steps. They were all very warm, informative, and efficient over the phone. I talked to nurses more regularly than seeing them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz accepted my insurance so I had minimal out of pocket costs. Most of my co-pays were for bloodwork and tests.
+ Read more- Read less

When I actually talked to Dr.Fino she was great on the phone and respected my approach to getting pregnant...As a patient I met her once- after that I was thrown into the NYU system. I can't really rate her as I was her patient because I hardly ever dealt with her at all- when I would finally be able to pin her down on the phone I had good clear candid conversations with her- I think she was clear and understood my perspective and honored that- but I did not get any sort of follow up from her and no human communication- even when I got pregnant-
I thought that the clinic [NYU] felt like a total factory...you will not have a personal relationship with your doctor- it is a big place and you will be thrown into the system- you will deal with a different person each time that you go in...I had some doctors who were cold and not helpful and did not explain things to me and made me feel dumb about questions or scheduling etc...the phone system sucked, it took me weeks to schedule a phone appointment.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be extremely persistent in regards to communication- she will not follow up it is really on you to make extra phone calls and demand calls back and time to talk to her about issues you may have
When I actually talked to Dr.Fino she was great on the phone and respected my approach to getting pregnant. That said it was difficult to reach her, the phone system sucked, it took me weeks to schedule a phone appointment. And it felt like a system that was not humanly compassionate.
I only wanted to use IUI as my insurance would not cover anything else- so she helped facilitate that and believed that there were quite a few options with in the IUI cycle that may work for me- so if Clomid wasn't working we could go down a different road in the IUI system. I felt this was really helpful and I really appreciated that she did not push IVF which I was opposed to
I dont remember who was who- but the people taking blood where nice- main nurse that I worked with was super responsible in returning phone calls and calling in results-
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I thought that the clinic felt like a total factory- I think that if you want to go in and get IVF then thats what they do- thats what they are comfortable doing. That said you will not have a personal relationship with your doctor- it is a big place and you will be thrown into the system- you will deal with a different person each time that you go in- if your ok with that then you should go for it- that sort of attitude was not for me- I had some doctors who were cold and not helpful and did not explain things to me and made me feel dumb about questions or scheduling etc. My actual doctor on the other hand was great when I could arrange a time to meet wither her ( they did not encourage in person but rather phone calls) I was never able to email her directly only thru her assistant which I found insulting and found that other friends of mine did not have that experience at other clinics. Their phone system was bonkers and it was rare to have a person at the clinic pick up the phone instead you have to go thru this long phone system and call center to leave a message- then when they would finally leave a message it would be from a non working number that you could not call back and then would have to call the service again and wait another 3 hours-
$1k