159 East 53rd St
109 West 27th St

Dr. Fino is exceptionally knowledgable, practical and compassionate. She spends at least 20 minutes with me every call we have and thoroughly answers all of my questions. She's also exceptionally open to hearing what research I have done or approaches I would like to consider. I appreciate that after my first failed transfer of a PGS tested embryo she gave me information on a reproductive immunologist to further explore additional options.
The NYU nursing staff is like my family. They all know me by name, are upbeat friendly faces to see every morning monitoring. Can't say enough about this staff. Really love them.... Well oiled machine. Check in at computers up front and wait to be called. Blood taken first then sent to room for the ultrasound. I always get there early and am in and out in no time.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't be discouraged by the fact that you don't see her very often or that you can't get immediate access to her. She is exceptionally responsive and thorough and if you schedule a call you will get all the time you want/need with her. She's been fantastic and I trust her completely.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
NYU is a large fertility clinic and well oiled machine. At first I felt like a number until I learned how to operate within the system. It's difficult to have direct access to your Doctor, which is understandable given the volume of patients they say day in and day out. However, any time I leave messages with Dr. Fino's assistant for Dr. Fino I get an immediate response. They went above and beyond for me several times. Dr. Masbou who is a fellow that works with Dr. Fino is super responsive and accessible by email as well. The staff at NYU has come to feel like family and they are very responsive and well organized.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI protocol: letrozal (for PCOS) First Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide First Transfer Cycle: Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc First cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 750 mg Metformin, 600 mg CoQ10, 800 mg Folic Acid, 2,000 mg Vitamin D3 After failed transfer Dr. Fino performed a saline sonogram to look for fibroids and/or endometriosis and an endometrial biopsy. The biopsy found Endometritis. Husband and I were treated with strong course of 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks. Second Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide. During this retrieval Dr. Masbou performed a follow up endometrial biopsy or scratch to both confirm Endometritis was cleared and at the recommendation of Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist). Second Transfer Cycle: Includes protocols from Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist as well). Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc, Baby Aspirin (81 mg), Lovenox (0.6mL), Intralipid 20% Second cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 1500 mg Metformin, VitaCare (prescribed prenatal), 600 mg CoQ10, 1.4 mg Folic Acid (Metanx), 4,000 mg Vitamin D3, Fem-Dophilus pro-biotic, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate, Prednisone (15 mg per day), Synthroid (25 mg)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is extremely large so you have to proactively manage your care and be your own advocate. Do your research so you're prepared with your questions when you talk to your doctor or the staff. I keep a binder with all of my lab results, protocols, Insurance forms, Financial forms, general info etc. I have found absolutely everyone on this staff to be responsive and fabulous.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Our first cycle was completely covered by United Healthcare with the exception of PGS testing. The first cycle totaled approximately $21,000. Our second cycle (retrieval, PGS testing and transfer) have been completely covered by Progeny.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU recommends single embryo transfer for PGS tested embryos. We discussed all of the risks.
NY - 53rd Street

I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires...If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart.... I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it [NYU - 1st Ave] is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I like a straightforward doctor, which Dr. Noyes is. That doesn't mean she lacks compassion, just that like me, she gets to the point and I feel confident that she understands my situation and is committed to helping me get the results I want. While I am only about a third of the way through my overall fertility plan, my interactions with her so far have made me feel heard and given me hope that this process will be successful. Dr. Noyes has created a plan that perfectly aligns with the desires I shared with her, and as we've hit bumps in the road (like a miscarriage after success with my first IUI treatment), she's been compassionate and adjusted our plan accordingly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you. If you need someone to hand-hold you every step of the way, she might not be... but I've found her to be a caring and comforting doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires to "get this done as quickly as possible." She takes the time to listen to me and always answers my full list of questions. When I miscarried, she was sympathetic, but remains positive about the likelihood of me successfully carrying to term in the future. Additionally, her assistant Alyssa is a pleasure to work with and helps me squeeze into see her or speak with her when I have questions. I have never felt like a number or like I was on a conveyor belt at her practice.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart. They've helped keep me positive about this process and frequently done a good job at answering questions before I even think to ask them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I believe this is a top rated clinic in the U.S. for a reason. I've had several friends have success with this practice, and I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen. That said, all of the staff have treated me with courtesy and care and I have never been made to feel like a number - despite clearly knowing that I am one of a large number of patients.
Nicole Noyes

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Noyes] might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result;
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result; however, she clearly cares about her work, her patients and helping them make a baby.
Don't expect warm & fuzzy, but you'll get so much more that this.
A few aspects of my specific situation (which also then changed from first visit in 2015 to 2017/18) made the decision to try IVF a personal challenge to work through. She actively and patiently listened to me with each visit over the several year period before deciding to try it. Without trying to sway me either way, she offered her honest input - both the statistics/facts but also (and more importantly) her experience and observations as someone who has worked with many women though this decision and process.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am just about to have my retrieval (tomorrow) so unclear yet how things will go in terms of a successful cycle or not. This is my first IVF cycle but in talking with others, I think what I was on was very typical. Menopur 300, gonal-f 300 - daily for 8 days w/ antagonist Centrotide last 3-4 (?) days. Ovadril trigger shot. I am old to be trying this (45) but my hormones and all that can be tested leading up to this indicated it was still a possibility, though a long shot (Dr Noyes was clear about this but also not hopeless).
Overall i think they are too overloaded. They do very well given this, but I think it can at times compromise their focus and care. I have found them primarily to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and understanding of the trial the IVF experience is. But I did sometimes feel shuttled through an assembly line at times. At times they seemed as grumpy as we were to be there at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This has been my only experience with a fertility clinic so i don't have anything to compare it to. NYU I think is one of the larger 'factory' types of fertility clinics. And, at times I did feel that. But, that said, they do have a pretty well-oiled efficient system and I felt confident I was in good hands and that if my cycle was cancelled at any point it would not have been due to human error or balls dropped. Also, in spite of the assembly line feel at times, most of the staff (medical and administrative) I encountered were friendly and had a personality and tried to make a human connection for that brief encounter. Overall, I was impressed that everyone clearly had a sense of and respect for the difficulty & expense of this process. This was reflected in the tone of the facility and the care at each turn.
It was well orchestrated for sure. I was never there for longer than felt appropriate for what needed to happen that visit. It was not perfect (first couple times, it wasn't clear who I was seeing for the ultra sounds (a doctor, my doctor, a tech?) or what they were looking for with the first couple visits) but I advocated for myself and if asked for more info immediately got it & the nurse realized she had been too quick.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
it is the same as far as i know for all the docs at nyu... nyu cycle is 11,700 because I'm doing PGS (PGS is another 2-3,000 i think it is ...plus the outside lab fees)...there are other fees too. If I make it to transfer that will be 2,000 i think
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Her policy I assume is that of NYU's, which is single only - they wont do multiples. Higher risk of multiple pregnancies compromising heath and development of each other. I'd be a single mom if this works...so twins was not something I was eager to get out of this anyway.
Nicole Noyes

IUI With Other Docs
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment.... Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave.... For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
NY - 53rd Street

She [Dr. Goldman] also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey...smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results.
They [nurses at NYU] are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way...The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
Kara Goldman
NY - 53rd Street

Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. ... With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. ... There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours. ... NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. ... All of the nurses were amazing as they were very friendly and educational. I specifically spoke to Andrea almost every time and she was a fresh breath of air.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. She's a great doctor and I felt so comfortable and safe under her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you have ---she will make time for you and answer them. I always felt bad taking her time during my morning monitoring appointments as she had dozens of patients to see but she always insisted that I asked all my questions as she'd rather answer them in person.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. She shared personal information that was relatable and helped me feel comfortable under her care. There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I don't have anything negative to say about this clinic. It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
$14,500 for ER/Fresh Transfer ICSI + monitoring $1500 for embryo freezing $3600 + fees for PGS testing $2-8K for meds
Describe Brooke Hodes-Wertz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. I asked Dr. Hodes on her opinion and she was very honest and explained the rationale behind it which is ultimately for the patient to give birth to a healthy baby. With multiple embryo transfer the pregnancy is at higher risk and does not increase the chances of a live birth. I know that the clinic would consider multiple embryo transfers depending on the patients prognosis and history but they treat that case by case. Dr. Hodes also went through IVF and had twins and she shared that information with me explaining how much harder her pregnancy and postpartum was with the twins vs. singleton. I really appreciate her honesty and sharing her own personal experience . Going through fertility could be lonely and having a doctor that understands not only the medical part but emotional is very helpful and beneficial to fertility treatment.

2018, 21 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[NYU] provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process....Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for....The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Fino was very thorough and professional. She patiently explained the whole process to me including risks and benefits in great detail. I took down notes during my consultation, and by the end, I had a whole page of notes. The most important thing was that she got me an amazing result for my egg retrieval. I was 37 yo, and she managed to retrieve 23 and freeze 21! I was thrilled! I was expecting about half the number of eggs given my age. On top of that, I had requested no anesthesia to save on the cost of an anesthesiologist. Basically Dr. Fino just worked with me throughout the procedure. If it was too painful, she would pause and then continue when I was ready. Even with the pausing, she worked fast and was done in 15-20min. I'm still amazed that she retrieved that many eggs and with no anesthesia!
Bring pen and paper with you because Dr. Fino can give you a ton of information and advice! The clinic will give you booklets and written instructions, but she can you answer your specific questions very thoroughly and in detail!
Dr. Fino was excellent clinically and had a compassionate bedside manner. She was warm and friendly and answered all my questions patiently.
I used gonadal F, menopur and ovidrel for the egg retrieval and freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is one of the oldest IVF clinics in the country and has a lot of experience with IVF. It is very well organized. It provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process. In fact, you cannot proceed with treatment unless you attend the orientation session, so they are very committed to educating you as a patient and informing you of all the risks and benefits. Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for. The price was worth it considering they got me an excellent result.
Monitoring appointments were first come, first serve from 7am to 10am. The earlier you went, the faster you could be seen. I personally liked the flexibility of having a walk-in appointment over making an appointment for a specific time.
NY - 53rd Street
Dr Hodes-Wertz knows how to balance giving blunt diagnosis with warm bedside manner. She has never rushed me and has always spent time to listen to my concerns. I did not feel judged for any of my questions. Dr. Hodes-Wertz is both professional, talented, confident in her practice and kind...took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor [at NYU], you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick...The nursing staff is extraordinary at the NYU langone practice. They would always provide clear instructions about my medication and injections. I always received a return phone call, if I had questions. They were so kind during my morning monitoring. I have been spoiled by their treatment!
Dr. Hodes-Wertz is very kind and patient. She is also very smart and professional. This balance is very comforting as a patient, especially when dealing with a sensitivity of fertility. Dr. Hodes-Wertz took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments. She never made me feel judged for asking many questions about the diagnosis and treatment. I felt comfortable moving forward with a Salpingectomy because she made me feel comfortable and confident about the surgery and outcome. After getting pregnant from my first cycle of IVF and later experiencing a Pprom, Dr. Hodes-Wertz provided treatment that my OB did not offer such as an Endometrial Biopsy. I am currently in my second IVF cycle with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I have a very hopeful outlook on a successful pregnancy due to her care.
Don't be afraid to ask her any questions. She is very patient and kind. She will provide straightforward diagnosis, but she is very kind, professional and confident in all of her treatments.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz found that I had a blocked tube and suggested a Salpingectomy in order to avoid complications with getting pregnant. She performed the surgery and I recovered so quickly that I was able to be up and about the next day. She also suggested genetic and PGS testing, which I carried through with and gave me peace of mind when I got pregnant and also when I had a PProm because I could rule out genetic factors from being the cause.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor, you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick.
I was happy with the monitoring appointments as they were from 7am to 9am and easy and quick to get to before work.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz's approach to recommend both PGS and single embryo transfer made me feel safe and confident in my pregnancy.
NY - Westside
We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses)...You're one-on-one time with her may be limited so always be prepared with questions. That being said, it's not difficult to reach a nurse or another doctor in the practice that can help you along the way.
There are a LOT of people doing morning monitoring at NYU Fertility right now. If you arrive at the tail end of a particularly busy day (9am, as opposed to coming closer to 7am) you could be there for 45 minutes. But the staff and operations there are generally very efficient and have everything down to a science...their costs are comparable to NYC average...Mary is the main point of contact for many of the IVF patients and she is incredible. All of the onsite nurses and professional and reliable.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
There is nothing constructive to say about Dr Fino. She is a great communicator, pays attention to every detail in our paperwork/conversations and is extremely compassionate. We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses).
Dr Fino, Nurse Mary and the entire staff at NYU are fantastic. When you speak with them, you feel like you're the only patient in the world. That being said, NYU is a machine and the volume of people entrusting their fertility services can be overwhelming. In more boutique centers we visited, you can easily call or email your doctor. At NYU, you can hopefully schedule a call with them within a week.
We had completed an unsuccessful IUI with my wife's OBGYN and, given her age (almost 41) decided to move straight into IVF. With Dr Fino we timed my wife's cycle, started with the injection therapy, and did a retrieval. We are waiting to see how many viable embryos there are after day 5/6. Then the plan is to do PGS (at an outside lab) and frozen embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At the end of the day, we chose the bustling, busy operation that is NYU Fertility over a more boutique, personalized experience because of numbers. They are exceptional against the national average in terms of FET, live births, and single births. We knew what to expect and, while it would be great to be able to call/email our doctor anytime, we have been satisfied with our decision based on results so far.
We are fortunately covered for 3 cycles of IVF through insurance (but not PGS testing). From what it looks like, their costs are comparable to NYC average.
NY - 53rd Street

The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear....Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout.
Overall, the nurses [at NYU] were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring....I went about an hour into the monitoring hours, after the morning rush but before the latecomers. I don't think I waited more than 15 minutes any morning. Very efficient.... NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout. We were not from NY, and Dr. Licciardi worked with us, to enable us to do part of our cycle with my local Dr. Dr. Licciardi does lecture around the world so he is not always in the office, but even when traveling his staff can usually reach him,
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask questions. He offers the information the average person wants to hear, but if you are like me and want to understand all the details, ask him to elaborate. He will, and he will explain it clearly until you are satisfied. Also, you can't separate him from the NYU, the clinic that he practices in - NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself. However, we were happy with almost all the nurses and staff there and always knew we could go directly to Dr. Licciardi with questions or concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear. His caring demeanor continued throughout our treatment. When he spoke with us, he explained his recommendations and patiently answered our many questions.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We had MF (low sperm count) and FF (PCOS). We came to Dr. Licciardi after having done a surgery for MF, monitored cycles and IUIs and having had one miscarrigae. We knew we wanted to move on to IVF. Dr. Licciardi recommended a basic IVF protocol - gonal-f, PIO, ganirelix, doxycycline, ovidrel trigger - as our medical presentation made us good candidates for a basic cycle. Thankfully, he was right. We were able to transfer 1 fresh embryo, and froze 5 all of which were BB or above. We failed the fresh cycle - I believe my body was just too traumatized from all the meds of the cycle. We took a month break and came back for a FET, which was successful.
We dealt with many nurses and there was only one we didn't care for. Overall, the nurses were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring. Again, NYU is a large clinic and it is important when dealing with so many different people that you are your own advocate and make sure the nurse you are speaking with is aware of the full picture.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is top center. It may have been overwhelming for us if it was the first stop on our fertility journey. By the time we got to NYU, we were reassured to be in a place with top doctors and labs, and were fine with not having the amenities of a concierge practice. If you are just starting out and using NYU it may be more challenging, though I would still recommend them. We had a consult in another top clinic, and we found NYU to be a lot more caring and small-feel despite its prominence.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
12,600 for IVF cycle + 3000 for ICSI + 1000(?) for embryo storage
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
From what I understand, Dr. Licciardi feels strongly that it is safer to transfer one embryo, and rarely recommends transferring multiple. We discussed this at length with him prior to our FET, and ultimately trusted his judgment and transferred one.

2017, 32 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Hodes has an excellent bed side manner because she replies promptly, listens fully to concerns and takes the time to explain her answers. She never seemed overly worried and was honest and transparent about things like the risk of engaging in exercise throughout the process. I don't think Dr. Hodes could have done anything better at all really. I recommend my friends to her. On the doctors, maybe what specifically made her bedside manner so good. How did she adjust the protocol from the first to the second treatment. Did she air on the side of conservatism or do you think she was pretty aggressive. Anything she could do differently that would make her better.
NYU is an egg freezing machine that kinda feels like a MedSpa.There, I did not always see my doctor for ultrasounds throughout the process, but whoever was on staff, and all of the doctors I had were very nice and talked me through what they were seeing on my ultrasound as well as how much longer they thought I had in the process...I liked the West Side location for blood and ultrasound much better because there was never any wait like there can be on the East and you can go right before 9am (not so early as the East side) and be out by 9:15am. I found it more efficient, faster and easier for me since I live on the West side.
Utilize the west side clinic.
In my first cycle, I was on the cusp of having retrieval a day sooner or later. Dr. Hodes opted for later and thus 3 of the 20 eggs I got were "over baked"; however, 3 were still under baked. In the second cycle, I was ready for retrieval two days sooner than the first, so I got less hormones and a better result of freeing 18 eggs out of 23 retrieved. I am not sure if my body just produced better the second time, or Dr. Hodes used her learnings from the first time to make the second time more efficient.
The nurses as well are very nice and knowledgable. They are friendly, yet do there best to get you in and out as quickly as possible. They definitely have their process down to a T.
NY - Westside

kara [Goldman] was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible...She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona...She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval
The clinic [NYU] is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate...Great nursing staff. Always helpful, compassionate and informative. Only issue with 1 nurse over the 10-15 we saw over a 5 month period.... It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
kara was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible.
Feel free to ask as many questions as possible. Note however that there is always a lot of information, but you will have multiple opportunities to go over everything at each step.
She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona
She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval. The issue we had was a shortage of eggs, so she was realistic and didnt want to waste our time and money. During the second retrieval she changed one of the meds and our result was not as good, so she quickly changed course for the third retrieval and our result was better. She also advised to do a frozen transfer as the technology was such that it would increase the genetic screening and increase our chances for an ultimate live birth. She also said she highly recommended only a single transfer as we did a frozen transfer and there was no need to to do multiples as we already know the embryo is viable, rather than the 40-50% chance of a viable embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate.
It was somewhere in between. It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
About $20,000 -25,000 per retrieval all in (including meds) and $5,000 for the transfer. This is probably too simplistic as it was a very complicated process.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
She definitely pushed for eSET as we did a frozen transfer and the embryo was already tested and viable. It got us out of the 40-50% viability with a fresh transfer. Also we were very clear we did not want twins.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There was one point where they called the Pharmacy late and given the time sensitivity of some of the medications this added some stress.
Kara Goldman
NY - 53rd Street
Be prepared to work with her team more than her [Dr. Hodes-Wertz]...I came to Dr. Hodes-Wertz with PCOS. I was not ovulating and my parter had sub-optimal sperm. I was put on a dosage of Letrozole. The first dosage wasn't enough, but an increased dosage got me ovulating. We were able to use a washed sample of my partner's sperm to do IUI. The whole process was very quick and efficient - only 3.5 weeks from my first visit with Dr. Hodes until the IUI. The IUI was successful and I am now 7 weeks pregnant with twins!
They [NYU] are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant...I was seen in 2 different offices. The smaller west side office on W 52nd Street was wonderful. The team is small and very friendly. When I called or came in to the office they knew exactly who I was. I also had to go to the main NYU Fertility center on 1st Ave for blood work and ultrasounds. At the main facility I was just a number. They are incredibly efficient and move people through quickly, but it means that each time I saw different people and to them I was just a name on a piece of paper.
I only saw Dr. Hodes-Wertz 3 times during my treatment, but found her to be very informative with good bedside manner. After our first meeting with her we felt very confident that she knew what she was doing and we were in good hands.
Be prepared to work with her team more than her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
The NYU Fertility Center nursing staff is amazing. After each visit I received a follow up call within 24 hours with test results and instructions on next steps. They were all very warm, informative, and efficient over the phone. I talked to nurses more regularly than seeing them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz accepted my insurance so I had minimal out of pocket costs. Most of my co-pays were for bloodwork and tests.
NY - Westside
He [Dr. Grifo] was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure.. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds...The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind...Despite the size and being part of an academic institution, I never felt like a number at NYU. My treatments were so customized and the Drs and nurses so personal, I felt like they really knew me. The technology was also great; iPads to sign in quickly, online secure emails and online videos to help w/ injections.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Grifo was transparent from the get go about our chances of success. He used data regularly to supplement his commentary. He was so, so human and made us feel like heroes for undertaking IVF, as opposed to failures who couldn't conceive. He shared his own story of infertility and all of the associated feelings. I felt so comfortable from that first visit; I was depressed, angry and confused, and Dr Grifo was understanding of each of these emotions and offered suggestions to help. He never made me feel like just a number. He was patient in person and by phone, always answering our questions and personalizing his advice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Go sooner rather than later.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
From the initial visit, it was clear Dr. Grifo was different. He was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure; can you even imagine a pioneer of IVF feeling like this, let alone admitting it? He made me and my husband feel hopeful, but again he utilized data to explain his beliefs and confidence. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily (this was certainly not the case at the prior clinic where we went through three, unsuccessful egg retrievals. The nurses were supremely confident, down to earth and competent. Furthermore, I felt like they were rooting for me and knew me. The Dr who performed the transfer (not Grifo) was incredible; she was realistic, yet optimistic and spoke to me like a real human (not just #7 transfer today).
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
While at first my protocol looked similar to the prior clinic we'd used for 3 rounds of eggs retrievals (all unsuccessful), I quickly saw that NYU was different. The nurses and Drs were constantly evaluating and tweaking my dosage. I took clomid pills, menapur injections, ganerilex injections and double trigger shots. For the transfer there was vaginal and oral estogren pills, as well as other injections. I produced 21 eggs for retrieval, 3 survived until day 5 and 2 tested normal w/ PGS. We transferred 1 embryo and I'm due to have a baby in less than 6 weeks.
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds. I have to be at work by 8am and going to NYU on the East side would've been very stressful. The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr Grifo did not accept my primary insurance (Cigna) but did take my secondary (UHC). Many things were covered, but this was our fourth egg retrieval in 1 calendar year so we didn't have a lot of coverage left. Out of pocket was ICSI and PGS, and they charged you in advance and refunded the difference (if fewer embryos made/tested).
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
We had 2 PGS tested embryos at the end of the retrieval and asked Dr Grifo his thoughts on transferring both. He strongly preferred transferring one, saying odds for pregnancy wouldn't increase w/ 2 and given my age (39) why risk both taking and having an even higher risk pregnancy. His rationale was, would you be more upset to not have a 3rd child or lose both and not get the 2nd you've been trying for all this time.
NY - 53rd Street

Throughout the course of my treatment, Dr. Hodes continued to communicate with me throughout the course of my treatment. After our first IVF cycle failed, she took the time to speak with us about what happened and how we would adjust our plan for the next cycle. I felt like she truly cared about me as a person...Dr. Hodes was by my side during the lowest point of my life, and I don't know how I would have gotten through that time without her. She was honest with the chances of success, but she never wavered in her commitment to my case. I was not an "easy" case and the odds for success were not in my favor, but I felt safe and cared for in Dr. Hodes' care. She always took the time to explain things to me and answer all of my questions...
NYU is a large clinic, and I know that many people feel like they're just a number. My attitude is the clinic is large for a reason - it's one of the best clinics in the area, perhaps the country. I typically visited the 52nd St location, which is much smaller, and I was able to get to know the staff there. When I visited the main location on 1st Ave, it was definitely busy, but it's run like a well-oiled machine...
I would caution prospective patients not to be turned off my the fact tha tDr. Hodes is not as I experienced as some of the other REs at NYU. It is true that she has not been practicing for decades, but what she lacks in experience, she makes up for in knowledge, compassion, and commitment to her patients. I never questioned that I was in extremely capable hands.
Dr. Hodes had to delivery very bad news to me, but she did so in the kindest, most professional manner. Despite the bad news and possibly poor prognosis, she came up with a treatment plan that accounted for my unique circumstances. Throughout the course of my treatment, Dr. Hodes continued to communicate with me throughout the course of my treatment. After our first IVF cycle failed, she took the time to speak with us about what happened and how we would adjust our plan for the next cycle. I felt like she truly cared about me as a person.
Diagnosis: diminished ovarian reserve plus both tubes removed 1st cycle: Agonist (300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur + Cetrotide) - 7 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 0 fertilized 2nd cycle: Agonist (300 Gonal F, 300 Menopur+ Clomid + Cetrotide) + ICSI - 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred on day 5 - resulted in singleton pregnancy
I did not really get to know any one nurse particularly well. NYU is a large practice so there are many nurses on staff. I communicated with many nurses, and I found just about all of them to be compassionate and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Insurance covered almost everything for me (most of medication cost plus $25K lifetime max for treatment). I think a single IVF cycle runs about $12,500 (plus additional costs - e.g., ICSI, biopsy for PGS).

2014 - 2016, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I did do an endometrial scratch and we did do PGS [with Dr. Grifo]...Dr. Grifo's strengths: his success rate, his expertise, his compassion. The only weakness is that it's hard to get in touch with him directly and sometimes his assistant does not respond for a few days...Dr. Grifo was immediately empathetic, but realistic. He does not have the "God" complex that I found other IVF doctors had. He is incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. HIs staff was very professional as well.
The nursing staff [at NYU] was very efficient and compassionate. My only complaint is there is no direct phone number to reach them at, you always have to leave a message and they will call you back... I found the monitoring hours (early morning) totally manageable. Weekends were more crowded, but sometimes I was seen right away...To check in during morning monitoring hours, you check in at a computer. I actually like this set-up, but some people think its impersonal. I did not mind and actually thought it was quite efficient.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you need to. Tell him how important it is for you that HE himself monitors your daily appointments. Listen to his advice, whether good or bad. He does not say things just to be nice, if he thinks you are progressively positiviely, you are!
When my husband and I met with Dr. Grifo, we had been trying to conceive for over 2 years. We had had several miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, and failed FETs. We were completely heartbroken and full of despair. Dr. Grifo was immediately empathetic, but realistic. He does not have the "God" complex that I found other IVF doctors had. He is incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. HIs staff was very professional as well.
I cannot recall the medications I took, but I did do an endometrial scratch and we did do PGS.
The nursing staff was very efficient and compassionate. My only complaint is there is no direct phone number to reach them at, you always have to leave a message and they will call you back.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My job and home schedule is flexible. I found the monitoring hours (early morning) totally manageable. Weekends were more crowded, but sometimes I was seen right away. I was fine with it.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Berkley on the other hand was compassionate and thorough. Spent almost an hour chatting with me about all of my options and recommended that we explore several less invasive (and less expensive) options first....He ordered tests that were needs and did In face uncover some medical issues I didn't even know about - specially scars tissue in uterus from a D&C. I would recommend him to everyone.
The [NYU Fertility] location is a bit of a pain - all the way on 1st Ave - but otherwise great. A large waiting room that is usually pretty empty. The staff is lovely and it's all well organized. Because it is part of NYU all the outside testing and procedures are done within a few blocks and there is no added time to schedule things, get test back, etc.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I really like Dr. Berkley. I had seem Dr. Stein at RMA before and found him to be on the cold side and he jumped right to IVF as my only option. Dr. Berkley on the other hand was compationate and thorough. Spent almost an hour chatting with me about all of my options and recommended that we explore several less invasive (and less expensive) options first. He explained a great deal about infertility and made the whole process easier to understand. he spoke to me like a person and his equal and never made me fell silly about even my most basic questions. He ordered tests that were needs and did In face uncover some medical issues I didn't even know about - specially scars tissue in uterus from a D&C. I would recommend him to everyone.
Ask all of your questions. He is so thorough and knowledgeable and speaks to you in way that makes it easy to understand. So be sure to bring a list!
I knew from the moment I called to make my first appointment that I would like the practice. They were thorough and helpful and remembered me (and my multiple phone calls) when I came in.
At my initial visit he did an internal ultrasound and took blood to determine egg quantity and quality. He then had me do the X-ray of my uterus which showed scar tissue. I then had a Hysteroscopy to have it removed. I am now starting clomid and IUI
Patient and kind, and funny - which always helps.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The location is a bit of a pain - all the way on 1st Ave - but otherwise great. A large waiting room that is usually pretty empty. The staff is lovely and it's all well organized. Because it is part of NYU all the outside testing and procedures are done within a few blocks and there is no added time to schedule things, get test back, etc.
IUI is covered by my insurance and so far I have only had deductible charges. They are high, but that is because of my insurance. But they are very upfront about costs before any tests or procedures
NY - 53rd Street
I reacted strongly to the meds [with Dr. Frederick Licciardi] and needed to be seen daily for monitoring and given the antagonist drugs fairly soon in my cycle (I believe it was Ganirelix)...expect him to be straightforward with you...Dr. Licciardi treated us like humans, but we only met with him once and only spoke on the phone a few times regarding results after that.
A round of IVF [at NYC] was $18,500. Since we had a lot of embryos and did PGS testing and an FET, that added on about $10k more in cost...The clinic treats you a little like a number – which was to be expected at a large clinic like that...The nursing staff was proficient and experienced. They did not seem particularly compassionate or personal. More just about business and trying to be efficient, which was ok with me, because there were a lot of people to get through in the mornings. It would have been nice if they'd introduced themselves when they called your name or drew your blood.
We found Dr. Licciardi to be smart, experienced and to the point. I would recommend him without hesitation, but perhaps not to someone who wants a doctor to be extremely warm and compassionate and hold their hand throughout the process. I wouldn't say that Dr. L was NOT warm or compassionate, but I also wouldn't call him a warm & fuzzy doctor. That was not important to us – we only wanted a doctor who was very experienced with a track record of success – so we were very happy with him.
Ask blunt questions and expect him to be straightforward with you.
Dr. Licciardi treated us like humans, but we only met with him once and only spoke on the phone a few times regarding results after that. The clinic treats you a little like a number – which was to be expected at a large clinic like that, so it did not bother me.
I don't remember specific medications or dosages. We stared the regular way (I believe I had a gonal F pen), but I reacted strongly to the meds and needed to be seen daily for monitoring and given the antagonist drugs fairly soon in my cycle (I believe it was Ganirelix).
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a world-class facility. I personally don't care if it feels like a farm or you're treated as a number – they have a lot of people to get through, and all I care about is that they're effective and successful, which they are. I would recommend anyone to NYU.
There were a lot of people, but it ran like a well-oiled machine. You could go anytime between 7 and 9am, which was nice for some flexibility, but the later you got there, the longer the wait would be. If you arrived during the first half hour, there was basically no wait.
A round of IVF was $18,500. Since we had a lot of embryos and did PGS testing and an FET, that added on about $10k more in cost.
The NYU practice strongly recommends a single transfer, especially with PGS embryos. You would have to override their recommendation to transfer multiple embryos.
2015, 6 Eggs Frozen
My issues were always addressed very promptly...Only wish it would be cheaper procedure. My results were not as great as I expected, however in the process I found out that I have a medical condition that would make it hard for me to conceive naturally.
[NYU Fertility] staff was very professional and attentive, very keen for detail and always took care of any issues and addressed any concerns right away. I was surprises to learn that my phone calls can be answered so quickly...I never had to wait for longer than few minutes to be seem, despite the large volume of patients treated by this facility. I have ben seen by different Providers during my monitoring cycle, yet the communication between all staff was superb.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Experience was very satisfactory. Staff was very professional and attentive, very keen for detail and always took care of any issues and addressed any concerns right away. I was surprises to learn that my phone calls can be answered so quickly. Very efficient communication between staff, any issue or questions raised with one staff, always been addressed and responded by appropriate party without initiating same concern twice. I was very impressed with the efficiency and precision NYU Firtility clinic ran. I never had to wait for longer than few minutes to be seem, despite the large volume of patients treated by this facility. I have ben seen by different Providers during my monitoring cycle, yet the communication between all staff was superb. They knew exactly where we left off and where to pick-up and where to go next. Very impressed. No regrets. Only wish it would be cheaper procedure. My results were not as great as I expected, however in the process I found out that I have a medical condition that would make it hard for me to conceive naturally and egg Freezing was a great decision on my part. Hopefully some day it will be worth all the expenses.
I don't think I can think of any at this time.
I was impressed with efficiency and attention to detail from all the staff, superb communication between every level of care, Doctors, Nurse, Secretarial staff. My issues were always addressed very promptly, everyone placed a great afford to make me feel that I was taken care of. All staff was unbelievablely helpful and supportive. Unfortunately, I expected much better outcomes - (more eggs to be retrieved) All the labs looked great, however it turned out that many of the follicles were empty/or filled with fluid instead of mature eggs. Besides the costly price, I would definately use same facility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shantel)
Compared to all other staff, nurses, care coordinators, My Care-coordinator-Shantel did not impressed me with her care. It was someone difficult to get through to her, get her call returned or my questions answered prompt. Whenever answered, was dry and cold with responses. However, other staff quickly covered, stepped in and addressed all my issues. If I could not get a hold of Shantel, someone else helped me right away regardless of the complexity of issues.
IT ran very efficiently and quick. Due to my work, I was the one frequently being tardy for my blood work and US-monitoring, yet I never felt uncomfortable for creating inconvenience to the rest of staff. Always been treated kindly, with respect and well taken care of. Not once anyone made me feel guilty for running late, yet I never had to wait for more then few minutes to be seen.
2013 - 2015, Successful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
My doctor [Dr. Grifo] was kind and caring, took his time during examinations and consultations and was always available for questions. He was honest and practical, and did not push more serious interventions before I was ready for them.
The billing department [at NYU Fertility] was extremely transparent and professional. The nursing team was extremely kind and available for questions and follow-up when needed. The office was very well organized and I never felt forgotten or overlooked.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I came to Dr. Grifo after having a bad experience at another, very highly renowned practice in NYC. I felt like a number in that office, from the way the billing office and office managers dealt with me, to the nurses whom I saw each morning and even my own doctor. I felt that my doctor had a terrible bedside manner and moved me very quickly through the process with little regard to my feelings or what I was ready for. When I came to Dr. Grifo, I was upset and confused, and he very clearly communicated to me my situation, how difficult it is for anyone (not just the 'infertile') to get pregnant, and how it is important to give it time, but also to be smart about it and maximize your chances for a healthy pregnancy, using all of the available data that we have. My other doctor had seen me through one chemical pregnancy, one frozen embryo transfer which failed, and suggested that I seek surrogacy options immediately. I felt as though she was speaking more to her numbers than me as a patient, and a person.
Make an appointment as early as possible! It can take a few months to get a new patient appointment.
The billing department was extremely transparent and professional. The nursing team was extremely kind and available for questions and follow-up when needed. The office was very well organized and I never felt forgotten or overlooked. My doctor was kind and caring, took his time during examinations and consultations and was always available for questions. He was honest and practical, and did not push more serious interventions before I was ready for them.
Day 2 starter - Follistim (start w 300 units) / menopur (start w 150 units) with daily blood tests and ultrasound HCG ovulation trigger The first cycle with Dr. Grifo was a success.
They were friendly! Such a difference from my last clinic and so important as you see them every morning.
Visit windows were 7 - 9 am, so convenient for me. If you needed to get in quickly, you could arrive before 7 am and be seen very soon. Not too crowded, efficient process.
10 - 15k
2012 - 2015, Successful
NYU is huge and you have to be proactive at times to get the communication you need. But the doctors and resources are tremendous... Monitoring is an efficient cattle-call. I loved being in and out before work. When I moved out of the area and traveled in for a cycle they accommodated me during non-monitoring hours when it was mor convenient for me.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Fino is an extremely intelligent and humane doctor who is well-versed in the latest research. She is collaborative and not paternalistic. At NYU you definitely don't see your doctor every visit but I always knew she was looking out for me. Dr. Fino let me try IVF with my own eggs three times even though my results were always atrocious (bad eggs). When I switched to donor eggs my donor had her best cycle ever and I'm on my second successful pregnancy from that cycle.
If you have a question that the nurses can't answer, don't be afraid to call Dr. Fino's office directly.
Dr. Fino takes the time to really explain things and spoke to me like I was an intelligent grown-up. I felt like a partner in my own treatment. She was also open to considering ideas I had researched myself, which was wonderful.
3 different IVF protocols with some additional adjustments to see if we could make my eggs work -- there was one we didn't try but by that time I was over it and wanted to move on to donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy McGoff)
The donor nurses are great (at least as of Fall 2015).
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I can't remember the exact price of the cycles but they are pretty upfront about the costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There might have been once or twice that I had to remind a nurse again to phone in a prescription or refill.
2014 - 2015, Successful
Nursing staff was great... Always called back right away with answers to my questions and very thorough and efficient during morning monitoring....they do rely on the fellows a lot though. During my IUIs, I was only monitored once by an attending and during IVF monitoring, I'd say it was 50/50. But the fellows took more time with me and were more thorough in answering my questions.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
We loved Dr Grifo. He was upfront with us and extremely empathetic abut our case. He knows what he is doing and is confident in his approach, which turned out to be the right one for us-- we got pregnant on the first try. He made sure we were fully educated every step of the way. He was understanding and supportive of my anxieties in the operating room at the hospital and during treatments at the fertility center.
He's a busy doctor. It's not always easy to speak to him right away, but he will see you or set up time to talk to you if you are willing to wait a week or so. When I had a question that was easily answered by email, he answered through his assistant quickly. But when I needed treatment, he was right on it. When I needed minor surgery, he scheduled me for surgery two days after diagnosis and he did the surgery himself.
Dr Grifo was empathic and kind in his bedside manner and approach. He was available to speak to us when necessary, happened to be the attending when we had our retrieval and made himself available to us to do our transfer.
Gonadotropin antagonist protocol using Gonal F, Menopour and Ganirelix with a Lupron trigger mixed with A small amount of HCG. 22 eggs retrieved, 16 embryos created, 11 at day 6. 3 PGS normal. One transfered. Positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Nursing staff was great. Team oriented but my nurse was he one I called with specific questions. Always called back right away with answers to my questions and very thorough and efficient during morning monitoring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Well oiled machine. Excellent doctors and nursing staff. The only area that I wouldn't rate a 10 is the billing staff. Had to follow up when I had questions about insurance, etc.
Extremely efficient. The only time I had to wait longer than 5 minutes was the day after a big snowstorm. Otherwise, i was always in and out within 15-20 minutes. they do rely on the fellows a lot though. During my IUIs, I was only monitored once by an attending and during IVF monitoring, I'd say it was 50/50. But the fellows took more time with me and were more thorough in answering my questions.
With in-network insurance, IVF plus frozen transfer was around 10 and PGS was about 2-3k additional. (Not including the PGS lab)
2014 - 2015, Successful
Only go to Dr. Berkeley when you are absolutely ready to commit yourself to doing whatever it would take to have children. He will help until he absolutely can't and than some!...Both my wife and I had been through a cycle before that was unsuccessful. Dr. Berkley was able to answer questions that were difficult ones to answer with a sense of care, compassion and knowledge like he has been down this road before and knows what to expect.
Somewhere in the range of $15,000 for IVF with ICSA. and Around $5000 for transferring of eggs after...[NYU] strengths: cutting edge medicine, staff that could never be outdone, environment that is comforting weaknesses: unfortunately they are located on a busy side of Manhattan so the outside atmosphere is hustle and bustle, and the total opposite of the inside... this is in no way a reflection on the clinic/staff.... just a reality to the future patients that go there that you need a plan for parking for monitoring and other time consuming visits.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Berkeley knows what he is doing. He is a veteran that is VERY up to date on the latest protocols and procedures. His office is equipped with all that he would ever need to stay on top of current trends and successful procedures. But more important than that, his bedside manner gives you confidence that you have somebody in your corner to even the odds when you feel like everything is against you.
I really can't remember the details of the protocols, but having come from another "specialist" in fertility medicine, his protocol was radically more aggressive and did involve more of a hormone therapy approach that was sure to bring results. He stayed on top of our case and was always available within the day to get back to us with any questions we had for him. The end result was after one unsuccessful implantation (second in total of trying to conceive) we now have a beautiful child who keeps us on our toes (thank G-d).
Efficient, respectful and caring to us every morning (and they were EARLY mornings!) They were ready to get the best job done at ~6:45am every day we were there and were attentive to our emotional needs as well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
one time the clinic did not call at their usual time of around 12pm/1pm. We had to call them that day. It wasn't a big deal at all, it was just results for that day's bloodwork while monitoring. When you get used to excellent work, its hard to get anything less. The staff was MORE than apologetic and it never happened again afterwards.
2014, Successful
Dr Grifo is a nice guy but VERY blunt. I am a journalist so I appreciated that candor. He is very statistical in his analysis and doesn't mince words. I was 38 about to turn 39 and he was really honest with me that I might not get great results. To my delight, I got 19 perfect eggs, and a 20th that was a little premature. Even he was a little surprised I think. I will say that when he called me to go over the results, he was way more optimistic and said 20 was a terrific number. That was great. The guy is just honest, but I know some women don't like that approach.
[NYU Fertility was a] totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain...A little crowded in the waiting room - but just because their team is the best and had big write ups in recent news. I saw FIVE friends in the waiting room during the course of my treatment. That was weird. The clinic clean and efficient. Definitely knew what they were doing but it was always packed.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Please see previous description. During the procedure it felt like a mill - there were back to back appointments - I felt that I received great treatment.
You're an adult. He will treat you like one. You can get compassion from your husband and your friends... Grifo will give you numbers, data, statistics. He'll also temper your expectations which I appreciated. Then when I received 20 eggs, it was like Christmas.
Honestly, I was SO focused on this, but since it was 2 years ago, I'd prefer not to. I really don't recall. I do think I was overstimulated given my age. I really truly don't think I needed all the drugs they gave me. They were very surprised that I produced so many eggs mid-way through and reduced my dosage of stims. I could barely walk my ovaries were so full! Seriously. It was brutal as was the recovery.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Francis Hooper)
Loved her. She gave me her email and always emailed right back. There were some problems on the weekend - as you know egg retrieval is a two-week procedure - so I was always a little freaked when I couldn't get through but someone always called right back.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Totally well-oiled machine but definitely packed. Never had a problem though and nurses were great at blood taking which is a huge pain.
15K?

2011 - 2013, Successful
Long initial consultation, he let me chose when to start treatment and what course to follow...I chose Dr. Licciardi based on the very thorough way he explains everything and his detailed approach. He may be more "scientific" than some patients prefer it I knew I was in good hands. The nurses in the practice are very hands on and knowledgeable.
Loved the nursing staff [at NYU]. Personable and very experienced. They are who you will see most often...This is a busy, first rate clinic. I felt I was in excellent hands and loved knowing the entire team and best-in-class equipment and procedures were dedicated to round the clock care. Like any NYC practice, you will need to be your own advocate and ask questions if you missed something, but I felt very well cared for.
Trust his approach and go to him if you are comfortable with a top notch Doctor in a very busy practice. You may not get a ton of 1:1 attention but you will get great care.
Clomid and IUI for several years of unexplained infertility prior to seeing him. He prepared me well that it would likely not work and we would need to move to injections but surprise, it worked!
Loved the nursing staff. Personable and very experienced. They are who you will see most often. There were two main nurse coordinators during my treatment and they were excellent with the many many follow up phone calls after each blood draw. They would leave messages on my voicemail (at my request) with very specific instructions and then would work hard to get back to me quickly if I needed to ask additional questions.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance covered a portion (up to $5k per year I think). I covered the rest.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After a successful pregnancy was confirmed, I had to go in person to get my records to pass onto my OB. The file wasn't ready so I had to return the next day. It was inconvenient.