660 1st Avenue
212.263.8990
109 West 27th St
212.263.8999

2013, Successful
Dr. Fino was very nice, took a lot of time with us listening. Seemed very intelligent and knowledgeable. Gave us all our options... Understand that you won't see her every time you come in for visits (and there will be a lot of them). But that she is aware of what's going on and is monitoring everything.
I definitely felt like I was treated as an individual [at NYU Fertility]. I understand how some people think it can feel like a factory when you are getting monitored and during the numerous appointments...Understand that you won't see [Dr. Fino] every time you come in for visits (and there will be a lot of them)... Someone was always available to speak with on the phone whenever I had questions.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I definitely felt like I was treated as an individual. I understand how some people think it can feel like a factory when you are getting monitored and during the numerous appointments. But I would rather get in and out fast since I had to go some many times. Everyone was always nice and friendly and personable during my many many monitoring appointments. Dr. Fino was very nice and gentle and honest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
2007 - 2011, Successful
[NYU was a] smooth running team. the worked well together and got you in and out quickly in the morning...Nursing Staff were compassionate and a pleasure to deal with...I really liked him [Dr. James Grifo] and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful...Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I really liked him and was very knowledgeable. He followed up when the IUI wasn't working and did further testing to find out if I wasn't having a problem. Since I was okay we moved into IVF. The first time was successful
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
To be upfront about everything and clear on your history. Be prepared it is group of Doctor's so he may not be the one performing your extractions and implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Since I did not really meet with him much it took away for the personal touch
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
sorry I do not remember anymore.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
they were compassionate and a pleasure to deal with.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
there were set monitoring hours and would make sure to go early to beat any waits.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
don't remember
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
He did not provide an feedback on that. I only had 2 good embryos so we went with both of them.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Licciardi is a great mix of blunt and delicate. He really takes the time to get to know you. He has been very helpful through the process. His nurses are also wonderful. We're not done yet but we plan to continue with him...He took the time to meet my husband and I and really learn about us and our process...Get to know his nurses...Chlomid, IUI and Letrazol
Get to know his [Dr. Licciardi's] nurses [at NYU]...[They are] Wonderful and very helpful...I'm confident in the science and success rates of the clinic. However, it mostly operates a lot like a factory. There are often long lines and long waits for all the processes. It's not a great feeling clinic...Dr. Licciardi is a great mix of blunt and delicate. He really takes the time to get to know you. He has been very helpful through the process. His nurses are also wonderful. We're not done yet but we plan to continue with him.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Get to know his nurses
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Chlomid, IUI and Letrazol
Wonderful and very helpful
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Frederick Licciardi

2013 - 2014, Successful
He [Dr david Keefe] is warm and relatable, making me feel comfortable while remaining professional. I trusted him implicitly and am so glad we did. I only actually met with him once or twice - his team is amazing...The team at NYU fertility is amazing. They felt like family. I was always seen promptly and felt I received the best care...Insurance covered my care. I think one round of IVF would have been upwards of $25k
How was your experience with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is warm and relatable, making me feel comfortable while remaining professional. I trusted him implicitly and am so glad we did. I only actually met with him once or twice - his team is amazing
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Talk open and honestly and listen. Come with questions and a thorough knowledge of your own medical history
Describe the protocols David Keefe used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Don't remember
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
David Keefe
2014, Successful
Although, he [Dr. Alan Berkeley] is not super warm and fuzzy, I have a beautiful 2 year old and am 20 months pregnant with my second. I appreciated his matter of fact style and is incredibly smart. I trust his judgement and would recommend!... even with the high volume of patients, I always felt supported and that I could get my questions answered. I would recommend getting there by 6:45. I was out by 7:30 the latest with bloodeork and ultrasound.
The nursing staff at NYU were all wonderful and very supportive and responsive. They were very comforting as well. I was very satisfied with the nursing staff,.... even with the high volume of patients, I always felt supported and that I could get my questions answered. I would recommend getting there by 6:45. I was out by 7:30 the latest with bloodeork and ultrasound.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Although, he is not super warm and fuzzy, I have a beautiful 2 year old and am 20 months pregnant with my second. I appreciated his matter of fact style and is incredibly smart. I trust his judgement and would recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Contact his assistant if you need anything. She is very responsive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Alan Berkeley
2014, Successful
Dr. Keefe is warm, takes time to establish bedside manner and tells great and relevant anecdotes....Listen to his stories. They seem longwinded but are designed to reassure you as a patient.
[The NYU Fertility clinic is] efficient, clean and functional...Monitoring from 7-9 AM. Pleasant enough waiting area....[The staff is] very professional, educated and direct. They are efficient and well-trained...They failed to bill me several times for embryo storage. When I called several times to inquire, I was neither given a bill nor reassurance about the status of my embryos.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Keefe at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Very professional, educated and direct. They are efficient and well-trained.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Efficient, clean and functional.
Monitoring from 7-9 AM. Pleasant enough waiting area.
David Keefe
2014, Unknown Success
Dr. Park is not necessarily warm & fuzzy (which i was okay with). Very kind, good bedside manner. Thorough with her details.
NYU is a very busy office, getting an appointment was very tough...There was some confusion a few times in terms of what tests were needed and where they needed to happen.
How was your experience with Joonhee Park at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
very kind, good bedside manner. thorough with her details.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joonhee Park at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
not necessarily warm & fuzzy (which i was okay with)-- but could find that to be not for everyone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joonhee Park at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
very busy office, getting an appointment was very tough. I also had to call several times once I had a miscarriage to understand what I had to do next since Dr. Park was away. Staff was kind was in the office (nurses)-- but there was some confusion a few times in terms of what tests were needed and where they needed to happen
front desk staff was horrible.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
dr. park was great-- her front desk staff was difficult, rude and showed zero compassion.
Joonhee Park

2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. James Grifo] provided me and my partner with benefit and risk followed by all the numbers and statistics so we can make our own decision. But when we were lost he was there to give us his advise...Don't expect to see him every visit, but he will be there for you when you need explanation or guidance...He listens to all our needs...I felt we're cared about.
Though [NYU Langone Fertility Center] operation doesn't allow us to see our doctor every time, I felt we're cared about...your concerns will be answered with all the data and statistics they have collected...wonderful team of nurses. I cannot write enough great things about them. They are skilled professionals as well as just wonderful people...the earlier you go, the shorter the wait time was.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
At the first consultation, he provided me and my partner with benefit and risk followed by all the numbers and statistics so we can make our own decision. But when we were lost he was there to give us his advise.
He listens to all our needs from the beginning. Though NYU's operation doesn't allow us to see our doctor every time, I felt we're cared about. When we had to cancel the transfer cycle just two days before the procedure when ASRM announced their guideline to strongly recommend all patients to postpone the transfer, he was there for us to make the decision.
Retrieval: I began with Gonal F and Menopur, and when the day approaches he prescribed one more medichine to prevent me from ovulating too soon. Followed by HCG trigger shot. He recommended taking Selenium supplement, and eat more walnuts and 70g protein a day.
NYU 1st ave have a wonderful team of nurses. I cannot write enough great things about them. They are skilled professionals as well as just wonderful people.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are the leading clinic for IVF, especially PGS and PGD, in the industry. You don't see your doctor every time, but your concerns will be answered with all the data and statistics they have collected.
Between 7am and 9am, the earlier you go, the shorter the wait time was. later time on Saturdays was much more crowded than weekdays.
Insurance covered most of it including PGS. Co-pay was about 2000.
He strictly recommends eSET.
NY - 1st Ave

The initial consultation with Dr. Fino was great and we left feeling optimistic about the next steps. Given that we received zero communication during the following three IUI's and the Dr wasn't present for any of the procedures...my wife was prescribed Clomid to assist in ovulating multiple eggs. In 2 of 3 cycles, the drug had no effect and only one egg was produced and in 1 of the cycles, two follicles developed
[NYU Langone Fertility Center is] a well-oiled machine, modern, clean, and efficient and seams to accommodate for many procedures every hour based on the number of people coming and going. The issue is, it feels more like a machine than an intimate clinic. However, for busy professionals who need to get in and out with minimal fuss, this might be the perfect option...Initial consultation plus scan $760. Each IUI round $1045
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
The initial consultation with Dr. Fino was great and we left feeling optimistic about the next steps. Given that we received zero communication during the following three IUI's and the Dr wasn't present for any of the procedures, we moved onto a new clinic with a more personal approach. NYU is clearing pushing patients through the system en-masse which may be perfectly fine for some individuals.
Follow up and insist on speaking with the Dr. You are unlikely to hear from Dr. Fino if you simply wait to be contacted
We received one initial consultation from Dr. Fino. After undergoing 3 IUI's we received zero follow up's from the Dr. Since this was our first experience with fertility Dr's, we just assumed this was the norm. Trying to contact the Dr was impossible, as you are consistently blocked by the assisting staff.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
From memory, my wife was prescribed Clomid to assist in ovulating multiple eggs. In 2 of 3 cycles, the drug had no effect and only one egg was produced and in 1 of the cycles, two follicles developed. Had the Dr been monitoring the results, I assume another drug may have been prescribed to assist.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It's a well-oiled machine, modern, clean, and efficient and seams to accommodate for many procedures every hour based on the number of people coming and going. The issue is, it feels more like a machine than an intimate clinic. However, for busy professionals who need to get in and out with minimal fuss, this might be the perfect option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Initial consultation plus scan $760. Each IUI round $1045

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Fino spends enough time with a patient and had all my questions answered...I absolutely trust this doctor, I also know my chances due to my age and I think we are on the same page. I am exploring all of my options and open to everything she suggests. She also always listens to what I have to say or suggest as well....
the nurses army [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] is great, very experienced. well oiled machine. But the patient always must be proactive...Weakness - is always crowded...out of pocket: IUI medicated - around 5K. medication for IVF - around 5K, 15,5K cycle with PGD testing. All pre IVF tests and surgery (75-100k)...Dr. Fino spends enough time with a patient and had all my questions answered.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
educate yourself as much as you can before hand in order to ask questions. It helps
Dr. Fino spends enough time with a patient and had all my questions answered.
I always had max dosage due to DOR, my first cycle was cancelled and we did IUI instead, my second cycle was good (6 follicles, 6 eggs, 3 embryos)
the nurses army is great, very experienced. well oiled machine. But the patient always must be proactive
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
this is the best clinic, if you have a health insurance which covers IVF - go there without doubts but do research your doctor and make sure you are comfortable with your choice. My friend recommended this clinic. Weakness - is always crowded but that also means they have a lot of experience
you have to come during monitoring hours and if you come early - you leave early.
out of pocket: IUI medicated - around 5K. medication for IVF - around 5K, 15,5K cycle with PGD testing. All pre IVF tests and surgery (75-100k) were covered by insurance, IUI and IVF were denied.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
single embryo with generic testing, frozen cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
was at the surgery, department but was solved when I called to clarify
NY - 1st Ave
He [Dr. James Grifo] always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments... was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
They are very busy [at NYU] , but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important...I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
Trust him. Even if you don’t like what he has to say, trust that he will do everything he can to get you a baby.
He always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments.
Follistem, Menipour, clomid, trigger shot
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very busy, but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important. The lab is one of the best in the city. Know that this is important. I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
It was covered under my insurance. I only had to pay for PGS testing. Once I was pregnant I had to pay for the sonograms.
NY - 1st Ave
It [NYU] is a busy clinic and you don't see your doctor every visit, but she checked in frequently and made all of my plans. NYU is a reputable clinic with good outcomes so I felt the business was worth the while...It was well run, a few days I had to wait longer than others, the staff was always apologetic...Dr. DeVore always heard me out and listened to my thoughts/feelings/questions. It was a very collaborative experience. She checked in on me frequently during my treatment and made sure to ask me about life outside of fertility. She was thoughtful, supportive, and down to earth. I feel so grateful to have found her...Ask your questions, she will answer all of them thoroughly and thoughtfully...She advocated for single embryo transfer
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask your questions, she will answer all of them thoroughly and thoughtfully.
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I don't remember
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It is a busy clinic and you don't see your doctor every visit, but she checked in frequently and made all of my plans. NYU is a reputable clinic with good outcomes so I felt the business was worth the while.
Describe Shannon DeVore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
She advocated for single embryo transfer

2019, 5 Eggs Frozen
I would talk with dr Fino but someone else would perform the surgery. That left me feeling a bit concerned. She was very thorough and had me do several exams and screenings to ensure that I had optimal conditions for conception... it was very hard getting an appointment with Dr. Fino. sometimes I had a phone call scheduled and she called at an odd time or did not call.
[NYU was ]organized in terms of sending you to billing and taking blood. it was very hard getting an appointment with Dr. Fino. sometimes I had a phone call scheduled and she called at an odd time or did not call.... I had a few mix ups on scheduled appointments... No follow up, had to call several times to move to next stage in process... I would talk with dr Fino but someone else would perform the surgery.
be patient
No follow up, had to call several times to move to next stage in process
Well oiled machine
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I had a few mix ups on scheduled appointments
NY - 1st Ave

Talk to him [Dr. Grifo] about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications... Great patient care, vet knowledgeable, and personable. Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time... Even though they [NYU] have lots of patients the level of care is individual.
Very experienced staff [NYU], well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center... Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Talk to him about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications
Great patient care
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Very experienced staff, well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center
NY - 1st Ave

Dr. DeVore is warm, empathic and is clearly passionate about the work she does...She is an excellent physician and exceeded my expectations in terms of results. It was also very apparent to me that she goes above and beyond for all of her patients based on my observations of her and her equally excellent team...produced results (i.e., # of embryos that were normal based on preimplantation genetic testing) that exceeded my expectations. I felt very comfortable asking questions as I was always met with prompt and clear answers.
Every nurse [at NYU Fertility Center] I interacted with was extremely knowledgeable, approachable and helpful. The majority of nurses I interacted with were not aware that I am a physician and went above and beyond in terms of being accommodating with my hectic schedule and ensuring that they were able to get in touch with me to communicate results, next steps, etc., All of the nursing staff were very warm and friendly, despite being quite busy...Efficient, well-oiled machine
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I am a female physician and plan to recommend her to my friends who are also physicians. She is an excellent physician and exceeded my expectations in terms of results. It was also very apparent to me that she goes above and beyond for all of her patients based on my observations of her and her equally excellent team.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore is warm, empathic and is clearly passionate about the work she does. Not surprisingly, this passion translates to excellent results, which exceeded my expectations.
Every nurse I interacted with was extremely knowledgeable, approachable and helpful. The majority of nurses I interacted with were not aware that I am a physician and went above and beyond in terms of being accommodating with my hectic schedule and ensuring that they were able to get in touch with me to communicate results, next steps, etc., All of the nursing staff were very warm and friendly, despite being quite busy.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. DeVore and her team were excellent communicators and most importantly, produced results (i.e., # of embryos that were normal based on preimplantation genetic testing) that exceeded my expectations. I felt very comfortable asking questions as I was always met with prompt and clear answers.
Efficient, well-oiled machine
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Her team was upfront and clear about out of pocket costs.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. DeVore was exactly what I was looking for in a fertility doctor. She always took the time to explain everything to me. She was honest but compassionate when there was not so good news, and she always had a plan for the next step, which I appreciated. She was able to get me pregnant on my third round of IUI, but we had already set up the process for IVF in case the IUI didn't work. I'm so grateful to her for getting me pregnant, but also for her knowledge and approachable bedside manner.
We did one round of IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], and then the next round of IUI with Clomid and a trigger shot, which resulted in a pregnancy...All of the nurses were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and organized...I found the clinic to e very organized and well run. The open hours for labs/US could get crowded and you might wait for 15-20 minutes, but this was the same as the practice where I was seen first, so I wasn't surprised.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She will listen to what your hopes are and will be honest with you in coming up with your treatment plan. I very much appreciated her honest opinion and help in managing my expectations.
Dr. DeVore took the time to explain every detail of infertility with me, as well as every step along the way and exactly what the plan would be.
We did one round of IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot, and then the next round of IUI with Clomid and a trigger shot, which resulted in a pregnancy.
All of the nurses were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance almost completely covered my treatment. There were a few bills for ultrasounds and IUI, but overall less than $200 I would guess.
NY - 1st Ave
I felt completely safe and always hopeful in her [Dr. DeVore's] expertise and knowledge. I knew she was always assessing my progress, adapting the treatment as we went to ensure it worked best for me and the results showed. I had no doubt she would do everything in her power to help me get to the end result I wanted...She gave me the emotional support I needed but also told it to me straight...[we] discussed the approach for the embryo transfer and I felt very informed going into it
At the start it can feel overwhelming with the amount of information and documents to get signed. But NYU was incredibly organized and efficient with my time, guiding me through the process. I found the NYU app a really useful tool to keep me informed of appointments and billing etc and it was used effectively by the NYU team...I have nothing but positive words to saying about the full nursing staff. They went over and above in their care of me, it felt incredibly personal. They took the time to get to know me and understand my individual journey. I knew I could call them anytime with any question and they would be there for me
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I have so much love and respect when it comes to Shannon DeVore. I cannot speak highly enough of her. I feel incredibly lucky she ended up being my fertility doctor. Not only am I now pregnant but she managed to make the entire journey positive. She is outstanding at her job. I felt completely safe and always hopeful in her expertise and knowledge. I knew she was always assessing my progress, adapting the treatment as we went to ensure it worked best for me and the results showed. I had no doubt she would do everything in her power to help me get to the end result I wanted. Shannon DeVore is also a wonderful human being. She kept me afloat during the treatment. She lifted me up when I lost faith, she provide emotional support during difficult times, and she gave me the right amount of encouragement to continue when I thought hope was lost. She is open, honest and to the point - all essential in your fertility journey when you need to know where you stand.
Choose Shannon DeVore as your fertility doctor. Best thing you can do.
Shannon DeVore could not have made me feel more human or more listened to during my IVF journey. She was outstanding in her care of me - I felt like she completely understand everything I was going through. She gave me the emotional support I needed but also told it to me straight - our relationship was built on honesty and transparency. And in doing so she gave me the motivation to carry on when times were tough.
I have nothing but positive words to saying about the full nursing staff. They went over and above in their care of me, it felt incredibly personal. They took the time to get to know me and understand my individual journey. I knew I could call them anytime with any question and they would be there for me. I definitely cried on them multiply times and they showed me compassion and love. I thought they were outstanding.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was impressed with NYU Fertility from the get go. At the start it can feel overwhelming with the amount of information and documents to get signed. But NYU was incredibly organized and efficient with my time, guiding me through the process. I found the NYU app a really useful tool to keep me informed of appointments and billing etc and it was used effectively by the NYU team. It felt like a seamless operation which I hugely appreciated.
I found the monitoring appointments a well oiled machine. Especially if you choose an early morning slot, which worked out well for me, as there was hardly ever a queue. They really tried to move you through as fast as you can and once you were in the rhythm of them, understanding the need to go between 7-10am, then it worked really well.
I don't want to answer this as it is so specific to my fertility treatment so its not comparable.
Shannon DeVore and I discussed the approach for the embryo transfer and I felt very informed going into it. Again it was a very open dialogue throughout the process and I was very clear on why we were moving forward with the approach we choose.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Devore set realistic expectations for us and continued to tailor our treatment plan based on the results we were getting...Dr. Devore was listening to us and giving us personalized care based on our situation (not the "standards")...She is hands on, and is very easy to get in touch with. She was always the one to call us with results...she was the only doctor who made an effort to read our entire medical record and then setup a follow up call with us where she tailored her recomendations based on our history...
NYU is a very well run and organized clinic. The scheduling for appointments was very easy. All appointments ran on time. I was always in and out of the office quickly and without stress. There are two locations you can visit for monitoring during the week which makes things convenient...All the nurses are extremely friendly and supportive....
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Devore is the best doctor I have ever had the privilege of seeing. She is compassionate and forward thinking and always had us feeling supported and listened to. After having a failed IVF cycle along with three failed embryo transfers at a previous clinic, we were starting to lose hope. Dr. Devore set realistic expectations for us and continued to tailor our treatment plan based on the results we were getting which we believe made all the difference! We did one round of IVF under her care and were successful with our first embryo transfer.
If you want a doctor who is dedicated to her patients then this is the doctor for you! She is hands on, and is very easy to get in touch with. She was always the one to call us with results (compared to some other clinics where the nurses will call), and we always heard from her the same day the results came in! There was even a time I was not able to answer my phone and she proactively called my husband on a Sunday afternoon to share results we had been waiting for. She is truly an exceptional doctor.
After using two previous fertility doctors and having a failed IVF cycle (with three failed embryo transfers) we decided to interview new clinics/doctors in search of more personalized care. We met with 4 other doctors/clinics and the moment we met with Dr. Devore we knew we were in the right hands. After our initial consult, she was the only doctor who made an effort to read our entire medical record and then setup a follow up call with us where she tailored her recomendations based on our history. At other clinics we felt as if we were just another number going through the same exact protocol as everyone else. I always felt that Dr. Devore was listening to us and giving us personalized care based on our situation (not the "standards").
After having a failed IVF cycle/three failed embryo transfers at our last clinic we were determined to setup our next cycle for success. Dr. Devore recomended PGS testing our embryos, and performing an ERA/uterine biopsy prior to transfer which I think made all the difference. She was also always thinking one step ahead. Our embryos were not the best quality so she also recommended that we transfer two at the same time (which is not the norm, and most doctors are hesitant to do). We were successful with our very first embryo transfer under her care which resulted in one healthy singleton baby.
All the nurses are extremely friendly and supportive.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr Devore allowed us to transfer two embryos based on our prior history, and the quality of our embryos. The transfer of two embryos resulted in one singleton birth.

2021, Successful
Dr. Blakemore always had a smile on her face, never made you feel rushed, always was honest and answered your questions to the best of her ability. I never felt like I was on a time limit, or that she wasn't available if I needed her. Twice I had to call with questions, and twice Dr. Blakemore HERSELF called me back almost right away to answer the questions and calm my nerves when my nerves needed to be calmed...I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr. Blakemore insisted we do only one...
The nursing team [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] always reached out when you needed them and always gave detailed information. You never felt rushed and sometimes they even listened to me vent. They showed compassion and kindness from day one and did whatever they could to assist you and your doctor in getting you the care and information you need...I usually waited 10-15 min for an ultrasound after blood work which isn't bad. Occasionally on very very busy days, I had to wait 30 minutes and maybe once or twice more but in total, you were essentially in and out in an hour...
How was your experience with Jennifer Blakemore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I was lucky enough to become pregnant under the care of Dr. Blakemore. After 2 and a half years trying to conceive. I came from another practice with many issues so my first consultation with her, I had reservations about trusting someone else with my fertility treatments, especially after feeling so ignored at my previous clinic. From the first day meeting with her, she really helps you feel relaxed, calm and shared her own personal journey with me which helped break down some of my walls. She was thorough with everything she explained to both me and my husband and let us know she was always available if we needed her. Dr. Blakemore wasn't kidding. She seemingly works every single day, and has even called me back herself on numerous occasions to answer questions for me. You can see the passion she has in all that she does - she's beaming with it. She's excited everyday to come to work and help people conceive children. It's hard not to be excited when your doctor is so excited and positive and happy to be there. She helps you see the positive and continue moving forward even when setbacks seem huge. She supports you in your decisions and explains risks and benefits. I felt like she became my friend while I was there - my own personal cheerleader cheering me on. As a doctor, she's incredible and she absolutely amazing at what she does. If you need protocol adjusted, she adjusts it. She knows what works. Our second retrieval was 3x as successful as our first BECAUSE of Jennifer Blakemore. This woman will one day be in the hall of fame for science or something because she does so much research and cares about what she does, shes either going to discover something magical - I don't know. She's up to date on the latest information. I literally could go on and on and on about how marvelous I think she is as a person and as a doctor. She would always inform me where she would be so I knew where to schedule my appointment so I could be seen by her. She's incredibly hands on. Again, this is her passion and as a patient, you feel like your success is her passion - her goal. I wish all my doctors were as incredible as Dr. Blakemore. Tears were shed when I finally was lucky enough to graduate the fertility clinic because she was so caring, compassionate, kind, dedicated - just amazing. Words cannot describe. If you're looking for a fertility doctor, you would be VERY lucky to have the chance to work with Dr. Blakemore. It was the ultimate privilege for myself and my husband and I truly believe that without her, we wouldn't be pregnant right now. She made me a better person through this process. I owe her everything and cannot thank her enough.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Blakemore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I don't feel like you need any advice from me other than to trust Dr. Blakemore. She knows what she's talking about. If you listen to her, you will be in the best hands around!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Blakemore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Although there are many patients in this clinic, the staff works as a team to make you feel special and make you feel like you're the only patient in the facility. From the way the nurses checked you in, took your blood work and answered questions to the face to face appointments with Dr. Blakemore. Dr. Blakemore always had a smile on her face, never made you feel rushed, always was honest and answered your questions to the best of her ability. I never felt like I was on a time limit, or that she wasn't available if I needed her. Twice I had to call with questions, and twice Dr. Blakemore HERSELF called me back almost right away to answer the questions and calm my nerves when my nerves needed to be calmed. I feel like she cares about each of her patients and takes her job seriously. It's not a job for her. It's a passion and she has a team around her who help support that.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Blakemore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
For IUI, we used Clomid and Ovidrel. For both retrievals, we used Clomid. For my first retrieval, we used Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel and Cetritide. On my second and final retrieval, we used Gonal F, Lupron, and HCG. There may have been more but I can't remember. The change from the first to second retrieval helped us get better quality eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
From day one, Dr. Blakemore's assistant Shenetta helped me stay focused, stay calm and answered every single one of my questions - and there were a lot. The nursing team always reached out when you needed them and always gave detailed information. You never felt rushed and sometimes they even listened to me vent. They showed compassion and kindness from day one and did whatever they could to assist you and your doctor in getting you the care and information you need. Couldn't be happier with the team!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I have no complaints at all about this clinic, aside from one appointment (which just happened to be bad luck because so many people were there lol - not in the clinics control), the appointment wait times are very reasonable (15 minutes, sometimes less than 5 minutes). The staff is kind, compassionate, caring. My only negative experience was that I am disabled and needed to use the elevator to get to the second floor and the girl at the front desk was not educated on disabilities and it was a very complicated process, where I loudly had to basically plead my case to convince her I was disabled enough for her liking to be able to use the elevator. Aside from that, everyone was amazing.
Morning monitoring was an interesting experience because while I have no complaints, there is a certain feeling of a cattle call, but very minor. It doesn't change my perception of this clinic, because it also runs as a well oiled machine. You come in, they call you back, take your blood work and then you wait in another area to be called for your ultrasound. Each time you delt with a staff member, it was very individualized, but I would have liked going from blood work, to an US room instead of another waiting area, however I understand why they do it this way. The quicker they get your blood work in, the quicker they call you with the results. The blood work takes a few minutes while ultrasounds take more time. It can feel frustrating at first, but you get the hang of it. I think theres just this feeling of being at a fertility clinic where you just want to get in, get the info and get on with your life because you don't want to become "the fertility girl" so the waiting can seem worse than it is. I usually waited 10-15 min for an ultrasound after blood work which isn't bad. Occasionally on very very busy days, I had to wait 30 minutes and maybe once or twice more but in total, you were essentially in and out in an hour - give or take 20 minutes - which I didn't mind because I got to see my doctor each time so it was blood work, ultrasound and speaking to my doctor which felt worth it to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Blakemore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
We were lucky to have insurance so we had copays since our deductible was met and then just the cost of the PGT testing. I know this is not the standard practice so we feel very lucky that this was our experience.
Describe Jennifer Blakemore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr. Blakemore insisted we do only one. I wasn't pleased then because I was so nervous it was going to fail, but I trusted her, because she gave me the information I needed to understand that one was the way to go. If we failed on our first transfer, we could discuss two in the future. I was very concerned with running out of insurance benefits, but in the end I am VERY happy I listed to Dr. Blakemore because I am pregnant and to me, that is a success!
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Blakemore explained the entire process from the start to the end. She made sure we understood all the risks, benefits, and alternatives of each procedure. She frequently asked if we had any questions throughout each encounter. She made us feel empowered by letting us chose educated decisions regarding our treatments...She was very thorough during our fertility work-up/evaluation...
The nursing staff [at NYU Langone] we absolutely detailed and organized. They were very knowledgeable. Also very kind and patient which is important...Ease of access (1st ave and west side). Entire team was wonderful. Not exactly weakness, but sometimes you will have different nurse and providers for some appointments (not a weakness again, each staff is well updated with your case and history)...
Dr. Jennifer Blakemore is truly a gem of a physician! She is an intelligent doctor with an absolutely wonderful heart. My husband and I are very grateful to Dr. Blakemore and her team for helping us build a family. She made us feel that we belonged to the right place the moment from time of our initial consultation. She was very thorough during our fertility work-up/evaluation. She made sure that my husband and I understood each process and progression of each treatment. I felt truly comfortable and at ease during each procedure. She was always on top of my test results especially during my daily monitoring for my retrievals. She gave us a true sense of hope in this complex world of infertility. We will be forever grateful to her care. We strongly recommend Dr. Blakemore for any future fertility patients.
Always ask questions! She would love to answer them!
Ovulation induction with Letrozole x 2. IUI with letrozole x1 Egg retrieval FET
The nursing staff we absolutely detailed and organized. They were very knowledgeable. Also very kind and patient which is important!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance paid for majority of our treatments but in overall out-of-pocket costs, we spent about $12,000 for including co-pay, PGT-A, embryo biopsy, and medications.
NY - Westside

Dr. Blakemore had a plan from day one for which specialized lab she wanted to use for testing...We had a pretty unique situation where we were doing IVF for genetic testing only as my husband and I are carriers of the same recessive gene...She is extremely personable, very smart and up to date on the latest with fertility science. She explained everything very clearly to us and I always felt like I knew what was happening and what to expect...
The nursing staff at NYU was all extremely competent and helpful. They always responded to calls quickly the few times that I called after hours and needed help with something...NYU was a perfect choice because I knew they had an in-house genetic counselor. With Dr. Blakemore, you get the best personal care while also getting the perks of a big institution like access to a genetic counselor...NYU has a slide in their standard presentation about why they encourage eSET due to the many health risks of multiples...
Dr. Blakemore is one of the best doctors I have ever had and I would recommend her without reservation to anyone else going through fertility treatment. She is extremely personable, very smart and up to date on the latest with fertility science. She explained everything very clearly to us and I always felt like I knew what was happening and what to expect. We had a pretty unique situation where we were doing IVF for genetic testing only as my husband and I are carriers of the same recessive gene. We also wanted the embryos to be tested for an extremely esoteric de novo mutation that our daughter was born with. Dr. Blakemore had a plan from day one for which specialized lab she wanted to use for testing and everything was seamless with them. She has a wonderful bedside manner, even during the stresses of treatment seeing her always brightened my day and I always felt she had time for any questions I had.
Dr. Blakemore is an amazing doctor who had an extremely personalized care plan from day one that yielded wonderful results for us.
We did an antagonist protocol and prepared for two retrievals since I wanted to have the option of having a number of additional children and at least 25% of any aneuploid embryos would likely inherit both of our recessive genes. The results surpassed everyone's expectations and we got 12 euploid embryos, 7 without our genetic issue. Our first transfer worked and the entire process was relatively seamless (for IVF) and I am now 14 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shenetta and Jean Ann)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
For me, NYU was a perfect choice because I knew they had an in-house genetic counselor. With Dr. Blakemore, you get the best personal care while also getting the perks of a big institution like access to a genetic counselor. We also had Progyny coverage and the other option we were considering Cornell is not covered through that.
I was lucky to have coverage through Progyny through my employer, which my understanding is covers most of this. I haven't yet received any bills but wouldn't be surprised if I had some modest co-pays.
I had no desire to have twins so never asked about this, but recall that NYU has a slide in their standard presentation about why they encourage eSET due to the many health risks of multiples.
NY - Westside

Dr. Blakemore is amazing! She is compassionate, detailed oriented, keeps me updated every step of the way. We discussed realistically what our goals are and made plans accordingly. I never felt lost and always knew she had a plan two steps ahead...Dr. Blakemore and her nurse made an effort to come in early to do my morning monitoring at the NoMad office...Selective single embryo transfer, we transferred day 5 PGS tested embryo
NYU is a very busy center. They are efficient but wait times at the main center can be long in the morning. All the major procedures take place at the main facility. The staff is well coordinated and experienced. I did most of my monitoring at their NoMad office during the week and found it to be much easier. The billing office is a little challenging to get a hold off... it is also an experience facility that is outcome driven and excellent at what they do
Dr. Blakemore is amazing! She is compassionate, detailed oriented, keeps me updated every step of the way. We discussed realistically what our goals are and made plans accordingly. I never felt lost and always knew she had a plan two steps ahead. IVF is not an easy process, full of ups and downs. Somethings are just not within anyone's control, Dr. Blakemore made the process that much easier for us. I am a physician who works very early morning hours, Dr. Blakemore and her nurse made an effort to come in early to do my morning monitoring at the NoMad office. That helped me tremendously, it allowed me to get to the hospital on time and take care of my own patients.
Trust her, be realistically about your goals, and be patient. IVF is difficult road with many ups and down.
NYU is a busy facility that can be overwhelming. The upside is, it is also an experience facility that is outcome driven and excellent at what they do. I got recommendation from a friend that works at the center for Dr. Blakemore. I actually transferred care from another provider in the same practice in the middle of a retrieval process because I felt like I was getting lost in the process. The best decision I have made!
We would like to have 2 kids, so we did multiple rounds of egg retrievals to have couple of PGS tested embryos to account for rate of success with each transfer. While we got a fair number of eggs each round, not many made it day 5, and even less made it through genetic testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shenetta Walker)
We are so thankful for have met Shenetta! She is organized, she came in early to do my blood work for all of my monitoring sessions. She had everything setup before I got there at 6:30am. If I had any question, I knew I could email her and she would get back to me with answers or connect me with the right person.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It was mostly covered by insurance. Out of pocket included storage, genetic testing, and meds.
Selective single embryo transfer, we transferred day 5 PGS tested embryo.

2020, Consult
she [Dr. Brooke Hodes-Wertz] was nonjudgmental when I shared some things with her. She is truly a total package of knowledge, honesty and warm spirit...She was very honest with me given my age and findings, but she was extremely encouraging and compassionate. At one point, I got a little emotional and she stopped the consultation to ask what was coming up for me at that very moment and when I explained why I was emotional, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words
She [medical secretary] called me the day after I requested an appointment and spoke with me for over an hour to give me information, answer any and all questions and just truly taking the time to put me at ease. I felt like I knew her forever. It was definitely the great start that I needed. She even took the time to check up on me before my appointment just to make sure I was ok. Next is Ydelis Santana, Senior Medical Assistant. On the day of my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I also had to do a basic exam and have more blood drawn. She could tell I was nervous during my exam. Without me saying a word to her, she began giving me kind words and calming me down. I definitely appreciated her compassion in that moment. Then Kimown Peters, Coordinator. Like, Sarnia, by the end of our time together in
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Hodes-Wertz was truly amazing. First and foremost, she is extremely personable. She genuinely took an interest in me before even starting the reason for the visit. Once the appointment started, she was extremely communicative and thorough about test results and how to proceed. She was very thorough in what she felt are my best options. She was very honest about everything given my age and findings while being extremely optimistic. She was also very kind and compassionate. When I became emotional at one point, she stopped the consultation to ask me what was coming up for me in that moment and when I explained, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words. She definitely renewed my faith in becoming mother. She is truly the total package of knowledge, honesty and heart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Just relax because you'll be in great hands with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and her entire staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It was my first meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I must say she was amazing. She was very honest with me given my age and findings, but she was extremely encouraging and compassionate. At one point, I got a little emotional and she stopped the consultation to ask what was coming up for me at that very moment and when I explained why I was emotional, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words. And I super appreciate that she was nonjudgmental when I shared some things with her. She is truly a total package of knowledge, honesty and warm spirit.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
This was only my first meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz to go over the results of my blood work and how to proceed. No treatment strategies or protocols have been administered at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarnia Skippings and Kimown Peters)
I can't say enough amazing things about Dr. Hodes-Wertz entire staff. From the receptionists to the nurses; EVERYONE is amazing!! Firstly, Sarnia Skippings, Dr. Hodes-Wertz's Sr. Medical Secretary...such an angel. She was my first point of contact. She called me the day after I requested an appointment and spoke with me for over an hour to give me information, answer any and all questions and just truly taking the time to put me at ease. I felt like I knew her forever. It was definitely the great start that I needed. She even took the time to check up on me before my appointment just to make sure I was ok. Next is Ydelis Santana, Senior Medical Assistant. On the day of my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I also had to do a basic exam and have more blood drawn. She could tell I was nervous during my exam. Without me saying a word to her, she began giving me kind words and calming me down. I definitely appreciated her compassion in that moment. Then Kimown Peters, Coordinator. Like, Sarnia, by the end of our time together in office after my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I felt like I knew her forever. She was extremely kind and compassionate. I especially appreciated the laughs that we shared. She gave me a lot of information on the what to expect with the next steps and didn't make me feel pressured to make any on the spot decisions. She and Sarnia have a very keen knack for making you feel very welcomed and at ease. I came encounter with other staff members that I, unfortunately, forgot their names or didn't get their names, but every single person in Dr. Hodes-Wertz's office truly makes for a Dream Team staff.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I honestly can't think of any weaknesses. Dr. Hodes-Wertz and her staff are thorough communicators and very kind. The clinic is extremely top knotch from the space to the cleanliness to the equipment. Even the waiting area was set up for social distancing with clear markings on where to sit and not to sit. Before you can even go into the waiting area, they take your temperature with a forehead thermometer to ensure there are no fevers. Both my initial blood work appointment and my actual appointment with Dr. Hodes-Wertz were prompt; no waiting. To date, from the start, my experience has been stellar.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Anyone knows that fertility treatment is expensive. There is just no way around it. So I'm not surprised by the list of costs that were outlined for me. Given I have friends who have gone through this or similar, I walked in knowing what to expect.
Brooke Hodes-Wertz
NY - Westside

My treatment [with Dr. Devore] was an IUI with Clomid. I previously completed an IVF cycle at another clinic where I was on the maximum dose of meds. I was a poor responder with only one egg retrieved...Dr. Devore suggested we try the IUI and Clomid because poor responders can sometimes do well with a lighter protocol. That was the case for me and I’m currently 10 and a half weeks pregnant thanks to Dr. Devore’s guidance.
I really appreciated how experienced and patient the nurses were at NYU. They took time to answer questions without making me feel rushed or silly for asking them. When I had concerns or was nervous about something, they helped me be less cowries. I also received calls back quickly. I did not have this experience at the fertility clinic where I was a patient. The nurse who did my IUI has 25 years of experience and I’m sure that contributed to the success of the procedure!
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
After a frustrating experience with another fertility clinic, we are very lucky that we found Dr. Devore. She took the time to listen to my past experiences and evaluated what would be best for my goals based on past fertility treatments. She took time to think through all options rather than prescribing one of the standard IVF protocols. I really appreciate that she took time to call me with updates and to explain processes.
Dr. Devore takes the time to evaluate your individual needs and is very thoughtful about what protocol would be best for your situation. She took time to look at my medical records and history closely and was very collaborative about determining next steps together.
My treatment was an IUI with Clomid. I previously completed an IVF cycle at another clinic where I was on the maximum dose of meds. I was a poor responder with only one egg retrieved. That egg made it to six days, but was a poor quality blastocyst. In the month I was planning to wait before another IVF cycle, Dr. Devore suggested we try the IUI and Clomid because poor responders can sometimes do well with a lighter protocol. That was the case for me and I’m currently 10 and a half weeks pregnant thanks to Dr. Devore’s guidance.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The team at NYU is collaborative and professional. The front desk staff always made me feel welcomed and supported. I think the value is good for the service compared to other clinics of a similar level.
I had to pay out of pocket for my IUI and the associated monitoring. It was about $3,000 combined. I believe the IUI alone was $500.
NY - Westside

My injection protocol did not change too much over the course of my cycle; my body responded just as Dr. DeVore had predicted and we were able to retrieve 12 eggs on the 13th day...She was very focused, articulate and compassionate in our in-person interactions. In addition to her medical pedigree and level of consummate care, I thought she was refreshingly honest and very positive and encouraging. It was a joy to work with her and her team at NYU.
At NYU, your first cycle is currently $9200 which includes the first year of cryostorage (billed at $1000/yr thereafter). Eggs are retrieved and stored onsite; they never leave the building unless you file paperwork for an elective transfer...As a patient, even if you are working with an excellent provider, you must be an advocate for yourself to ensure you are not lost in the shuffle. You will meet and speak with so many nurses, administrative professionals, billing representatives et. al. along the way and there is a bound to be at least one individual whose communication style does not align with yours or who seems a bit stressed or rushed that day. Know that you are in control and that you can always call the Main Office number to request a nurse or admin callback. Whenever I asked for clarification
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was the second endocrinologist whom I interviewed for an elective egg freezing cycle as a single woman. I wanted to take the time to research and to vet my options before embarking on an emotional and physically challenging process with a significant financial investment attached. I liked her immediately and I found her to be very grounded, refreshing and reassuring. We discussed NYU's clinical success rate of autologous live births (resulting from the donor's own eggs) and the pros and cons of other practices. She outlined the process, expectations and next steps for me with great efficiency and clarity and she fully introduced me to her Patient Coordinator and billing team for separate consultations onsite before I left so I had enough information in hand to commit to the practice. I also appreciated that Dr. DeVore is approximately my age and, as such, I felt that I was confiding in a peer who never talked down to me nor judged me. I felt such warmth and presence from her. As a patient, I felt that I had an empathetic cheerleader who was encouraging me while also expertly piloting my medical journey. On our first consultation, she accurately predicted the number of eggs which were ultimately retrieved. When I saw her for 2 of my 5 morning monitoring sessions, she was spot on with her predictions for my prescription adjustments and the days I would ultimately wind up administering my trigger shots and scheduling retrieval. Dr. DeVore continuously managed my expectations. As with any busy clinic, NYU has its share of administrative hiccups. For one of my morning monitoring sessions, the RN accidentally released me after taking bloodwork but before Dr. DeVore was able to see me for my scheduled ultrasound. By the time I had exited the elevator and was standing outside on the sidewalk , Dr. DeVore called me personally to profusely apologize for the miscommunication and to ask if I was able to pop upstairs again to meet with her. It was not a major grievance to me at all, but I appreciated that she accepted accountability and graciously apologized again in person, admitting that it was NYU's fault and not on me as the patient. Dr. DeVore is a class act!
Meet with her. You will really love her, and I hope you too benefit from her level of care, expertise and compassion.
Dr. DeVore is a dream. She was very focused, articulate and compassionate in our in-person interactions. In addition to her medical pedigree and level of consummate care, I thought she was refreshingly honest and very positive and encouraging. It was a joy to work with her and her team at NYU.
I had a pretty straightforward stims process: 300IU Follistim and 150IU Menopur daily before Ganirelix was introduced followed by Ovidrel and Lupron for the triggers. My cycle spanned 13 days which included 6 blood draws, 4 ultrasounds and a COVID-19 nasal swab test which is mandatory for all NYU procedures requiring anesthesia. My injection protocol did not change too much over the course of my cycle; my body responded just as Dr. DeVore had predicted and we were able to retrieve 12 eggs on the 13th day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimown Peters, Patient Coordinator)
I elected to freeze my eggs during the COVID-19 quarantine in NYC which was a naturally inconvenient (and perhaps anxiety-riddled) time for all involved. This added in some complications to the process i.e. morning monitoring sessions were scheduled (not drop-in); partners and escorts were prohibited from waiting rooms; patients were required to complete COVID-19 nasal swab tests within 5 days of surgery; and patient orientation was a WebEx webinar in lieu of an in-person forum. In spite of these complications, I really enjoyed the entire NYU Langone team including Kimown Peters, my Patient Coordinator; Haley Penny, the Health Educator and licensed social worker who led a socially distant virtual patient orientation (in lieu of a more intimate and traditional in-person orientation); Jean-Ann McKiernan, the RN who explained trigger shots to me; and Taylor and Alyssa, two of the RNs at the main East side location who administered expert and personable care.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Off all of the fertility centers located in NYC, NYU Langone has the longest history and thus some of the best longitudinal data and success rates. On the recommendation of my friends who have also relied on assisted reproductive technology, I took my time to thoroughly research, vet and interview multiple practitioners and clinics. An acquaintance recommended NYU Langone to me because, like me, she went through an elective egg freezing process as a single woman (years before she met her now-husband). I appreciated that she had a positive experience as a single woman navigating the process. It may be important to note that NYU practices a "doctor of the day" rotation when it comes to morning monitoring and to surgical procedures. Dr. Devore oversaw my medical protocol and she reviewed my results daily but I met with her in person 3 times (1 consultation, 2 ultrasounds). NYU has 8 doctors on staff and I met 3 others across the NoMad satellite and East side main locations. I enjoyed all 4 of the doctors whom I met and I always felt that I was receiving expert care. NYU is a bit of a beast. As a patient, even if you are working with an excellent provider, you must be an advocate for yourself to ensure you are not lost in the shuffle. You will meet and speak with so many nurses, administrative professionals, billing representatives et. al. along the way and there is a bound to be at least one individual whose communication style does not align with yours or who seems a bit stressed or rushed that day. Know that you are in control and that you can always call the Main Office number to request a nurse or admin callback. Whenever I asked for clarification or more help, someone always passed the message along and I received a prompt callback. You are already so brave for going through this process...don't be ashamed to be assertive, too!
Under my Aetna insurance, I was largely a self-pay patient. Insurance helped to defray my initial consultation ($50 specialist copay) and bloodwork costs but the cycle, anesthesia administration and prescriptions were 100% out-of-pocket. At NYU, your first cycle is currently $9200 which includes the first year of cryostorage (billed at $1000/yr thereafter). Eggs are retrieved and stored onsite; they never leave the building unless you file paperwork for an elective transfer. Anesthesia is an additional $1050, billed separately. I applied for a ReUnite Assist discount (a simple online application) and I received a 20% discount off Follistim and Ganirelix within 24 hours. Even then, out-of-pocket, my prescriptions amounted to nearly $5700. All in, factoring some additional copays to other doctors and fees for elective genetic carrier screening testing, my total investment has been $16k+ before the cost of annual cryostorage and (perhaps) eventual IVF is factored in. It has been a significant financial investment but I am happy with the outcome and the level of care administered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
(See my above notes...I think that admin mistakes are bound to happen at a clinic of this size, but they never detrimentally impacted my treatment.)