660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629
109 West 27th St
212-263-0040

Treated 2019 - 2020
she [Dr. DeVore] had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did!...I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation...I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan)...NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
As a patient, I had an exceptional experience with Dr. DeVore and cannot recommend her highly enough. She is by far the best doctor I have ever been to. There are a few things that really stand out: I always felt like Dr. DeVore cared about me personally -- she respected my personal values and my comfort zone, and she made recommendations that were tailored specifically to me. She is compassionate but also fully candid and honest. She never sugar coated any of the facts, and just as importantly, gave me ALL the information that I needed to feel comfortable about the decisions that we were making. She is extremely thorough in her analysis and detail oriented. I felt empowered and fully understood the process and next steps. After every appointment, I would walk out of the room, feeling like we made the right decisions. Not everything we tried worked out in the beginning, but the decision-making process and information was so clear and upfront, that we were able to pivot as needed. The entire IUI/IVF process can be extremely complicated, so this piece was HUGE. Dr. DeVore always went the extra mile. In December, Dr. DeVore let me know that in Jan 2020, there'd be a new law which meant that some New York companies would need to provide full coverage for IVF treatment. Dr. DeVore did extra research on this, guided me through the process, and even helped me follow up with billing (and insurance) to make sure we had the information needed. She even wrote a personal letter to our insurance company to ensure everything was organized and in order before starting IVF. This was HUGE and such a stress relief as the process can typically feel very overwhelming given the potential costs. I really felt like Dr. DeVore cared. I know she has a busy schedule and tons of patients, but you would never know. Dr. DeVore gave her FULL attention and dedication to me at every appointment. Even if I had questions outside of appointments, she would get back to me right away too! I've never experienced that level of personal care and can't thank her enough!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
If you're going to see Dr. DeVore, you made the right choice! Best doctor at NYU
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Shannon DeVore made me feel so comfortable throughout the process. I always felt like she listened to me and understood my personal needs. Her recommendations were specific to my personal medical situation as well as my needs and life. She was caring and compassionate every step of the way. She took the time needed to answer all my questions and never rushed through. And, she was extremely thorough with her answers. I wanted to understand EVERY step of the process, every risk, and every potential scenario. Shannon was so patient and not only answered my questions immediately, but also gave me the level of depth that I needed so that I felt fully comfortable. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated Dr. DeVore's care, dedication and personal attention!
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
One of my biggest issues was the timing of ovulation as my cycles varied widely month by month. We started out by monitoring my cycles and doing a trigger shot. The first cycle, we learned that my follicles were not growing big enough by the time I ovulated, so for the next cycle, Shannon gave me Clomid to help with the follicle process. Although my body reacted well to Clomid, the first IUI was unsuccessful. The next month, I tried Clomid again but this time my body had a strange reaction to the medication and I had really bad cramps post ovulation. As a result, Shannon decided to pivot and put me on Letrazole instead. I really appreciated this pivot because I knew that Shannon was listening to me and not pushing me down a path (Clomid) that I wasn't comfortable with. In addition, that next month was Christmas and I already had plans to travel and see my family. She knew this was important to me so rather than doing a timed IUI (and having me cancel my plans), I took Letrazole and had sex normally (using ovulation sticks). When this didn't work, the next month, she suggested we try Letrazole + IUI again and simultaneously prepare to start IVF. She was extra careful and thoughtful about monitoring me during this time as she knew my ovulation could be pretty erratic. 4-5 days after my period, she had me come in for morning monitoring and found out I was surging. She told me right away, and then cleared her calendar so that we could do the IUI that afternoon instead of waiting another day. I probably talked to her 3 times on the phone that day to make the decision to do IUI right then -- and I'm so grateful I did! At the same time, we were also preparing to potentially start IVF. Shannon spent so much time walking us through the process, explaining the medications, and the most cost effective solutions. She mapped out every step and scenario (we had so many questions!!). And then... in a crazy turn of events, the DAY BEFORE we were supposed to start IVF, I found out that I was pregnant! While we never went down the IVF path, I would have felt 100% comfortable if we did. In the first 7 weeks of pregnancy, she monitored me to ensure everything was going smoothly and even was there to show me the first heart beat!
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The NYU staff was very thorough an organized about calling me with results immediately, booking me for follow up appointments, ensuring our billing was sorted and organizing our insurance paperwork. It was never a problem to get in quickly for morning monitoring (I never waited over 5-10 min). And, they nurses were always friendly --- i felt like we knew each other after 6 months! In addition, we took a 3 hour, in-person course on IVF. I was kicking and screaming going into it because it meant I needed to miss a couple hours of work... but wow, it is so necessary. I highly recommend that everyone take this course before going down the IVF path
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At NYU, the staff is very organized and thorough. Billing and insurance with NYU was a breeze (and honestly, it's always been a painpoint for me at other clinics). I felt that the facilities were clean, very well managed, and they ran a really tight operation. I would recommend booking your actual appointments well in advance so that you are organized and can plan accordingly. Secondly, I would recommend going to morning monitoring by 8am as it'll take 2-5 min to get in. At around 8:30 or 9am, it can take 15 - 20 min (which isn't bad, but it's helpful to plan). Lastly, I would do your homework on insurance! NYU is really good about making sure you have the information needed so make sure you listen/learn and follow up so that there are no surprises. The nurses always guided me to check with insurance on specific things (and in fact, called my insurance to confirm on my behalf many times too)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Fully covered by insurance except for $25 co-pays each visit (thank goodness!)
Investment Banker
Dr. Grifo does a great job about running through the statistical odds of pregnancy success while also maintaining a level of compassion / acted as a quasi therapist during my treatments. He is well respected in the industry and I feel comfortable in his care. ... Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk.
This clinic [NYU] has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Stay organized and don’t be afraid to speak up if you want to try something and ask for his honest opinion on it. While doctors can do their best to give their most educated advice, they are not psychics and part of figuring out which treatment to move forward with is in part a personal choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk. The office itself is run like a very well oiled machine. Morning monitoring makes you feel like a number - but at the same time I am thankful they are efficient and I am in and out of there in the mornings before work.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We have done 4 IUI cycles which included clomid for 5 days, a ovidrel trigger shot and a IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was always so nice and friendly. Sometimes can be a bit unorganized but only on minor things.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This clinic has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
All IUI costs were covered by insurance
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr. grifo strongly urges for a single embryo transfer
Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Hodes was kind when she had to deliver bad news, but it was hard to get her on the phone. I felt I had to advocate for / educate myself on a lot of the procedures and ways to supplement fertility. ... 1st transfer- natural cycle- did not work. She suggested Receptiva, it was a very mild positive result so then she had me take Lupron, which made me feel extremely depressed and I would never want to take it again. My second transfer was a medicated cycle and was not successful. My next transfer has been put on hold for COVID-19, but we would have tried using baby asprin/blood thinners/mild steroids.
When I wanted to speak to a doctor [at NYU] about COVID-19 instead of calling a nurse copied and pasted a NY Times article that was not relevant. ... Some of the nurses were amazing- kind and informative. Others seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and one even tried to tell me I didn't know what kind of cycle I was having! Really hit or miss depending on who you get
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be prepared that you won't receive a lot of attention.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It was very difficult to get a hold of Dr. Hodes. Most often, I would get a call from one of the nurses instead. Due to the number of patients they deal with it's very hard to find time.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Some of the nurses were amazing- kind and informative. Others seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and one even tried to tell me I didn't know what kind of cycle I was having! Really hit or miss depending on who you get.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is usually clean. They are usually organized, except during the busy times were things can get backed up. New patients coming for morning monitoring should try to arrive at 7am or even a bit before if possible. Once you get to 8am things start to get busy and there can be some bottlenecking.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I always took a cab so I would arrive by 7am on the dot in order to not have to wait so long that I would be late to work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I have requested callbacks that I never received. When I started a medicated FET cycle I called the clinic to discuss my prescriptions/insurance and a nurse insisted I was doing a natural cycle and did not need the Rx (I did). When I wanted to speak to a doctor about COVID-19 instead of calling a nurse copied and pasted a NY Times article that was not relevant.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Wertz is blunt, she provides accurate information and explains things clearly, giving me options to choose. I like that. ... Dr. Wertz is direct and clear, she provides options and leaves it up to me to decide. I like it, because with unexplained infertility there is no one answer, no one solution and personal instincts and statistical numbers are the only two things to rely on. I had a polyp removal with Dr. Wertz, she mastered it perfectly. She didn't give me false illusions that this will solve my problem and it didn't.
Human error may always happen and it's normal. I rarely have to wait too long [at NYU], my insurance approval processes and billing is handled well. I had no surprises or miscommunications so far. ... The IVF coordinator I got in touch with is rarely available, never picks up and appears overwhelmed. But the good thing is that all of them have access to information and know what's going on.
Dr. Wertz is direct and clear, she provides options and leaves it up to me to decide. I like it, because with unexplained infertility there is no one answer, no one solution and personal instincts and statistical numbers are the only two things to rely on. I had a polyp removal with Dr. Wertz, she mastered it perfectly. She didn't give me false illusions that this will solve my problem and it didn't. I had 3 IUIs and, again, I new the numbers and understood that chances are not very high. Even though I did have hopes, still my heart didn't break when this didn't work. I appreciated doctor's manner and support during this time, it helped me stay strong and avoid emotional rollercoaster.
Prepare to listen and make decisions. You come to doctor for a solution, not for compassion.
I, personally, am not very sensitive or sentimental about my infertility and don't expect (and actually dislike) compassion or pity from a medical staff. I like to overcome difficulties with a sense of humor and stay realistic and optimistic. Dr. Wertz is blunt, she provides accurate information and explains things clearly, giving me options to choose. I like that.
My IVF treatment should start after the pandemic, hopefully, so I have nothing to say on that front. I did 3 IUIs and too Clomid. I responded well to it and had 2-4 eggs each cycle. I decided to cancel 4 egg cycle, even though the doctor didn't insist on cancelling. I didn't want to take the risk.
I absolutely love Dr. Wertz's assistant Sarnia. She's the best! Organized, on top of everything, just a great person and professional. Otherwise, there're a lot of nurses in a process, sometimes it seems as too much. I can't remember everyone's name and phone and duty. The IVF coordinator I got in touch with is rarely available, never picks up and appears overwhelmed. But the good thing is that all of them have access to information and know what's going on.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I didn't go through full IVF process yet, due to pandemic, but overall it seems to be organized. Human error may always happen and it's normal. I rarely have to wait too long, my insurance approval processes and billing is handled well. I had no surprises or miscommunications so far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance covered IUI and I had to pay copays for ultrasound and insemination itself, $50 each. So in total I paid $300 for 3 cycles of IUI. IVF should also be covered, however genetic screening is not covered and will cost me over $4000 (up to 10 embryos, I may get reimbursement if less than 10), plus $300 for each embryo tested in a lab. I also decided to freeze good embryos, for future use, so this will be additional $7000 or more. I won't be surprised if any other charges will come up.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I have thyroid issues and a thyroid test got lost in translation somehow. As we were at the beginning of pandemic at that time, I simply ordered one from Quest Diagnostics near my house, so no big deal. The results were abnormal so I started taking my medication as usual and should be fine by the start of IVF. I consider it's a minor issue.

Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Devore is one of the most thoughtful and kind doctors and people I've ever met. After losing our daughter at 2 days old (born full term), my husband and I suffered infertility for over a year caused by complications at delivery. Upon meeting us, Dr. Devore was well read on our case and immediately empathetic and sensitive to the many emotions we were feeling. She continued to be this amazing throughout the course of our treatment. We've met many doctors but none as special as her.
The nursing staff [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork...The clinic is clean, organized, friendly, empathetic, knowledgeable and flexible. They were also very responsive and easy to get a hold of. If I could not see Dr. Devore, the other attending doctor was always up to speed on my situation.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
My husband and I tragically lost our daughter who was born full term at 2 days old. I then suffered complications caused by placenta accreta which caused infertility for almost 2 years. Upon meeting Dr. DeVore, she was incredibly empathetic, kind, sensitive and she developed a plan of action. The thought of more surgeries or beginning fertility treatments after our loss was incomprehensible to me. But Dr. DeVore helped me through it both physically and emotionally. I had two hysteroscopys to remove scar tissue and then we began fertility pills and IUI. We ultimately decided to do IVF and Dr. DeVore was amazing and kept us informed and comfortable every step of the way. We now have many healthy embroys and have decided to use a gestational carrier due to health concerns for me to carry another pregnancy. We believe we will have healthy children and we don't think that would have been possible without Dr. DeVore. She has become one of the most special people in our lives.
Trust her because she cares and has put a lot of thought into her plans.
Dr. Devore monitored me very closely and often had me come in more than normal just to make sure my blood/hormone levels and ultrasounds were on track. She made adjustments when necessary. The biggest concern was getting my lining thicker so each month she would try a different method so that she had 'data points.' It also gave her a good idea of what my dosages should be for IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork.

Treated 2019 - 2020
If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process...When I was her patient, I felt like I was receiving the highest quality care with the best possible bedside manner. I fully trust her and would highly recommend anyone I know to her. She advocated for me, consulted other doctors when necessary, and really thought outside the box to try and help us be successful. Everyone deserves a doctor like Dr. DeVore.
Pros [at NYU Langone Fertility Center]: great Drs like Dr. Devore and Dr. Fino; because it's smaller than other practices you have a higher likelihood of being able to see your doctor more regularly than other clinics. Cons: nurses can lack empathy, in part because they are so busy...IUI, MRI (adenomyosis), Receptiva (endometriosis)...cannot recommend Dr. DeVore highly enough. Dr. DeVore has ruined me for other doctors - she is smart, thoughtful, detailed, and incredibly caring. At each step of our journey together, I felt like I had a partner in her who was thinking about my case as much as I was - she never made me feel rushed, she answered (and anticipated) my questions and concerns, and made sure I understood all of the details - because she knew it would help put my mind at ease. If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process - Dr. DeVore is it!
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was my doctor through one of my IUI cycles. When I was her patient, I felt like I was receiving the highest quality care with the best possible bedside manner. I fully trust her and would highly recommend anyone I know to her. She advocated for me, consulted other doctors when necessary, and really thought outside the box to try and help us be successful. Everyone deserves a doctor like Dr. DeVore.
Even if you think you've explored all of the options - go see her. She'll surprise you with her ability and interest in looking at your case from all sides and with open mind, an honest opinion, and research to back it up. Really - she's wonderful.
I cannot recommend Dr. DeVore highly enough. Dr. DeVore has ruined me for other doctors - she is smart, thoughtful, detailed, and incredibly caring. At each step of our journey together, I felt like I had a partner in her who was thinking about my case as much as I was - she never made me feel rushed, she answered (and anticipated) my questions and concerns, and made sure I understood all of the details - because she knew it would help put my mind at ease. If you want a doctor who will personalize your care, think outside the box, and truly support you through this process - Dr. DeVore is it!
IUI, MRI (adenomyosis), Receptiva (endometriosis)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Pros: great Drs like Dr. Devore and Dr. Fino; because it's smaller than other practices you have a higher likelihood of being able to see your doctor more regularly than other clinics. Cons: nurses can lack empathy, in part because they are so busy.
Describe Shannon DeVore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
We haven't done IVF with Dr. DeVore
Treated 2020
My injection protocol did not change too much over the course of my cycle; my body responded just as Dr. DeVore had predicted and we were able to retrieve 12 eggs on the 13th day...She was very focused, articulate and compassionate in our in-person interactions. In addition to her medical pedigree and level of consummate care, I thought she was refreshingly honest and very positive and encouraging. It was a joy to work with her and her team at NYU.
At NYU, your first cycle is currently $9200 which includes the first year of cryostorage (billed at $1000/yr thereafter). Eggs are retrieved and stored onsite; they never leave the building unless you file paperwork for an elective transfer...As a patient, even if you are working with an excellent provider, you must be an advocate for yourself to ensure you are not lost in the shuffle. You will meet and speak with so many nurses, administrative professionals, billing representatives et. al. along the way and there is a bound to be at least one individual whose communication style does not align with yours or who seems a bit stressed or rushed that day. Know that you are in control and that you can always call the Main Office number to request a nurse or admin callback. Whenever I asked for clarification
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was the second endocrinologist whom I interviewed for an elective egg freezing cycle as a single woman. I wanted to take the time to research and to vet my options before embarking on an emotional and physically challenging process with a significant financial investment attached. I liked her immediately and I found her to be very grounded, refreshing and reassuring. We discussed NYU's clinical success rate of autologous live births (resulting from the donor's own eggs) and the pros and cons of other practices. She outlined the process, expectations and next steps for me with great efficiency and clarity and she fully introduced me to her Patient Coordinator and billing team for separate consultations onsite before I left so I had enough information in hand to commit to the practice. I also appreciated that Dr. DeVore is approximately my age and, as such, I felt that I was confiding in a peer who never talked down to me nor judged me. I felt such warmth and presence from her. As a patient, I felt that I had an empathetic cheerleader who was encouraging me while also expertly piloting my medical journey. On our first consultation, she accurately predicted the number of eggs which were ultimately retrieved. When I saw her for 2 of my 5 morning monitoring sessions, she was spot on with her predictions for my prescription adjustments and the days I would ultimately wind up administering my trigger shots and scheduling retrieval. Dr. DeVore continuously managed my expectations. As with any busy clinic, NYU has its share of administrative hiccups. For one of my morning monitoring sessions, the RN accidentally released me after taking bloodwork but before Dr. DeVore was able to see me for my scheduled ultrasound. By the time I had exited the elevator and was standing outside on the sidewalk , Dr. DeVore called me personally to profusely apologize for the miscommunication and to ask if I was able to pop upstairs again to meet with her. It was not a major grievance to me at all, but I appreciated that she accepted accountability and graciously apologized again in person, admitting that it was NYU's fault and not on me as the patient. Dr. DeVore is a class act!
Meet with her. You will really love her, and I hope you too benefit from her level of care, expertise and compassion.
Dr. DeVore is a dream. She was very focused, articulate and compassionate in our in-person interactions. In addition to her medical pedigree and level of consummate care, I thought she was refreshingly honest and very positive and encouraging. It was a joy to work with her and her team at NYU.
I had a pretty straightforward stims process: 300IU Follistim and 150IU Menopur daily before Ganirelix was introduced followed by Ovidrel and Lupron for the triggers. My cycle spanned 13 days which included 6 blood draws, 4 ultrasounds and a COVID-19 nasal swab test which is mandatory for all NYU procedures requiring anesthesia. My injection protocol did not change too much over the course of my cycle; my body responded just as Dr. DeVore had predicted and we were able to retrieve 12 eggs on the 13th day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimown Peters, Patient Coordinator)
I elected to freeze my eggs during the COVID-19 quarantine in NYC which was a naturally inconvenient (and perhaps anxiety-riddled) time for all involved. This added in some complications to the process i.e. morning monitoring sessions were scheduled (not drop-in); partners and escorts were prohibited from waiting rooms; patients were required to complete COVID-19 nasal swab tests within 5 days of surgery; and patient orientation was a WebEx webinar in lieu of an in-person forum. In spite of these complications, I really enjoyed the entire NYU Langone team including Kimown Peters, my Patient Coordinator; Haley Penny, the Health Educator and licensed social worker who led a socially distant virtual patient orientation (in lieu of a more intimate and traditional in-person orientation); Jean-Ann McKiernan, the RN who explained trigger shots to me; and Taylor and Alyssa, two of the RNs at the main East side location who administered expert and personable care.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Off all of the fertility centers located in NYC, NYU Langone has the longest history and thus some of the best longitudinal data and success rates. On the recommendation of my friends who have also relied on assisted reproductive technology, I took my time to thoroughly research, vet and interview multiple practitioners and clinics. An acquaintance recommended NYU Langone to me because, like me, she went through an elective egg freezing process as a single woman (years before she met her now-husband). I appreciated that she had a positive experience as a single woman navigating the process. It may be important to note that NYU practices a "doctor of the day" rotation when it comes to morning monitoring and to surgical procedures. Dr. Devore oversaw my medical protocol and she reviewed my results daily but I met with her in person 3 times (1 consultation, 2 ultrasounds). NYU has 8 doctors on staff and I met 3 others across the NoMad satellite and East side main locations. I enjoyed all 4 of the doctors whom I met and I always felt that I was receiving expert care. NYU is a bit of a beast. As a patient, even if you are working with an excellent provider, you must be an advocate for yourself to ensure you are not lost in the shuffle. You will meet and speak with so many nurses, administrative professionals, billing representatives et. al. along the way and there is a bound to be at least one individual whose communication style does not align with yours or who seems a bit stressed or rushed that day. Know that you are in control and that you can always call the Main Office number to request a nurse or admin callback. Whenever I asked for clarification or more help, someone always passed the message along and I received a prompt callback. You are already so brave for going through this process...don't be ashamed to be assertive, too!
Under my Aetna insurance, I was largely a self-pay patient. Insurance helped to defray my initial consultation ($50 specialist copay) and bloodwork costs but the cycle, anesthesia administration and prescriptions were 100% out-of-pocket. At NYU, your first cycle is currently $9200 which includes the first year of cryostorage (billed at $1000/yr thereafter). Eggs are retrieved and stored onsite; they never leave the building unless you file paperwork for an elective transfer. Anesthesia is an additional $1050, billed separately. I applied for a ReUnite Assist discount (a simple online application) and I received a 20% discount off Follistim and Ganirelix within 24 hours. Even then, out-of-pocket, my prescriptions amounted to nearly $5700. All in, factoring some additional copays to other doctors and fees for elective genetic carrier screening testing, my total investment has been $16k+ before the cost of annual cryostorage and (perhaps) eventual IVF is factored in. It has been a significant financial investment but I am happy with the outcome and the level of care administered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
(See my above notes...I think that admin mistakes are bound to happen at a clinic of this size, but they never detrimentally impacted my treatment.)
Treated 2020
We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles [with Dr. DeVore] and then IVF if IUI's were not successful...treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments...She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners.
the clinic [NYU Langone Fertility Center] is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment...team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Devore is a caring and excellent professional. She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners. Dr. Devore's assistant Christine is also great. she was very receptive and promptly answered all our questions. When we had questions for the doctor she would quickly convey the message to the doctor and we'd receive a call back shortly from the team with an answer. The NYU langone Fertility center staff was also great. everyone was courteous and prompt. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be seen. Overall we had a great experience and we'd go back to Dr. Devore and her team to help us conceive again. Highly recommend them to anyone having difficulty getting pregnant.
understand the procedure recommended, the medication prescribed and ask lots of questions if additional clarity is required.
Dr. Devore treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments. She recommended we undergo 3 IUI treatments and then IVF is IUI unsuccessful.Her team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles and then IVF if IUI's were not successful. We prepared for and got through the first IUI cycle and 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. As soon as I tested positive I went to the office to get a blood test confirmation. The team also measured my HCG level. A week later I went for another blood test and my HCG level was measured again. The 2 weeks later I was scheduled for the first ultrasound at 6 weeks and 5 days. we heard the heartbeat and saw our baby for the very first time. Dr. Devore confirmed all my measurement look great and she recommended a list of OB's to start seeing for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
Carol and the entire team were great, receptive and great communicators.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
the clinic is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment.
doctor's fees, ultrasound fees, blood test fees and facility fees
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
a day before the IUI we went in for an ultrasound to ensure I was ready. the nurse/doctor who performed the ultrasound told me I am ready for the procedure the next day. A few hours later Dr. Devore called to clarify that I was not ready and that we'll need to take hormones one more day and then come back for an ultrasound to confirm readiness.
Treated 2020
My treatment [with Dr. Devore] was an IUI with Clomid. I previously completed an IVF cycle at another clinic where I was on the maximum dose of meds. I was a poor responder with only one egg retrieved...Dr. Devore suggested we try the IUI and Clomid because poor responders can sometimes do well with a lighter protocol. That was the case for me and I’m currently 10 and a half weeks pregnant thanks to Dr. Devore’s guidance.
I really appreciated how experienced and patient the nurses were at NYU. They took time to answer questions without making me feel rushed or silly for asking them. When I had concerns or was nervous about something, they helped me be less cowries. I also received calls back quickly. I did not have this experience at the fertility clinic where I was a patient. The nurse who did my IUI has 25 years of experience and I’m sure that contributed to the success of the procedure!
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
After a frustrating experience with another fertility clinic, we are very lucky that we found Dr. Devore. She took the time to listen to my past experiences and evaluated what would be best for my goals based on past fertility treatments. She took time to think through all options rather than prescribing one of the standard IVF protocols. I really appreciate that she took time to call me with updates and to explain processes.
Dr. Devore takes the time to evaluate your individual needs and is very thoughtful about what protocol would be best for your situation. She took time to look at my medical records and history closely and was very collaborative about determining next steps together.
My treatment was an IUI with Clomid. I previously completed an IVF cycle at another clinic where I was on the maximum dose of meds. I was a poor responder with only one egg retrieved. That egg made it to six days, but was a poor quality blastocyst. In the month I was planning to wait before another IVF cycle, Dr. Devore suggested we try the IUI and Clomid because poor responders can sometimes do well with a lighter protocol. That was the case for me and I’m currently 10 and a half weeks pregnant thanks to Dr. Devore’s guidance.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The team at NYU is collaborative and professional. The front desk staff always made me feel welcomed and supported. I think the value is good for the service compared to other clinics of a similar level.
I had to pay out of pocket for my IUI and the associated monitoring. It was about $3,000 combined. I believe the IUI alone was $500.
Treated 2020
she [Dr. Brooke Hodes-Wertz] was nonjudgmental when I shared some things with her. She is truly a total package of knowledge, honesty and warm spirit...She was very honest with me given my age and findings, but she was extremely encouraging and compassionate. At one point, I got a little emotional and she stopped the consultation to ask what was coming up for me at that very moment and when I explained why I was emotional, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words
She [medical secretary] called me the day after I requested an appointment and spoke with me for over an hour to give me information, answer any and all questions and just truly taking the time to put me at ease. I felt like I knew her forever. It was definitely the great start that I needed. She even took the time to check up on me before my appointment just to make sure I was ok. Next is Ydelis Santana, Senior Medical Assistant. On the day of my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I also had to do a basic exam and have more blood drawn. She could tell I was nervous during my exam. Without me saying a word to her, she began giving me kind words and calming me down. I definitely appreciated her compassion in that moment. Then Kimown Peters, Coordinator. Like, Sarnia, by the end of our time together in
Dr. Hodes-Wertz was truly amazing. First and foremost, she is extremely personable. She genuinely took an interest in me before even starting the reason for the visit. Once the appointment started, she was extremely communicative and thorough about test results and how to proceed. She was very thorough in what she felt are my best options. She was very honest about everything given my age and findings while being extremely optimistic. She was also very kind and compassionate. When I became emotional at one point, she stopped the consultation to ask me what was coming up for me in that moment and when I explained, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words. She definitely renewed my faith in becoming mother. She is truly the total package of knowledge, honesty and heart.
Just relax because you'll be in great hands with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and her entire staff.
It was my first meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I must say she was amazing. She was very honest with me given my age and findings, but she was extremely encouraging and compassionate. At one point, I got a little emotional and she stopped the consultation to ask what was coming up for me at that very moment and when I explained why I was emotional, she gave me very inspiring and encouraging words. And I super appreciate that she was nonjudgmental when I shared some things with her. She is truly a total package of knowledge, honesty and warm spirit.
This was only my first meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz to go over the results of my blood work and how to proceed. No treatment strategies or protocols have been administered at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarnia Skippings and Kimown Peters)
I can't say enough amazing things about Dr. Hodes-Wertz entire staff. From the receptionists to the nurses; EVERYONE is amazing!! Firstly, Sarnia Skippings, Dr. Hodes-Wertz's Sr. Medical Secretary...such an angel. She was my first point of contact. She called me the day after I requested an appointment and spoke with me for over an hour to give me information, answer any and all questions and just truly taking the time to put me at ease. I felt like I knew her forever. It was definitely the great start that I needed. She even took the time to check up on me before my appointment just to make sure I was ok. Next is Ydelis Santana, Senior Medical Assistant. On the day of my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I also had to do a basic exam and have more blood drawn. She could tell I was nervous during my exam. Without me saying a word to her, she began giving me kind words and calming me down. I definitely appreciated her compassion in that moment. Then Kimown Peters, Coordinator. Like, Sarnia, by the end of our time together in office after my meeting with Dr. Hodes-Wertz, I felt like I knew her forever. She was extremely kind and compassionate. I especially appreciated the laughs that we shared. She gave me a lot of information on the what to expect with the next steps and didn't make me feel pressured to make any on the spot decisions. She and Sarnia have a very keen knack for making you feel very welcomed and at ease. I came encounter with other staff members that I, unfortunately, forgot their names or didn't get their names, but every single person in Dr. Hodes-Wertz's office truly makes for a Dream Team staff.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I honestly can't think of any weaknesses. Dr. Hodes-Wertz and her staff are thorough communicators and very kind. The clinic is extremely top knotch from the space to the cleanliness to the equipment. Even the waiting area was set up for social distancing with clear markings on where to sit and not to sit. Before you can even go into the waiting area, they take your temperature with a forehead thermometer to ensure there are no fevers. Both my initial blood work appointment and my actual appointment with Dr. Hodes-Wertz were prompt; no waiting. To date, from the start, my experience has been stellar.
Anyone knows that fertility treatment is expensive. There is just no way around it. So I'm not surprised by the list of costs that were outlined for me. Given I have friends who have gone through this or similar, I walked in knowing what to expect.
Treated 2020
Dr. DeVore treated me with kindness and compassion throughout every step of my fertility journey. She listened and never made me feel like my concerns or anxieties were invalid or not worthy of her time. She is truly one of the first physicians that I ever felt really listened to me...Fertility treatment is hard and it takes time and a lot of tears to get a place of joy. I couldn't have asked for a more compassionate, caring, and intelligent doctor to be paired with on this journey. There aren't enough words to describe my gratitude to Dr. DeVore.
I would have likely benefited from more of an introduction to the clinics services as a whole [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], ie. who to call for what kind of question, but I quickly figured out how things worked. I had a couple of upsetting experiences seeing other doctors during morning monitoring, but with the amount of appointments I had, those were very much the exception. Overall, the clinic's strengths far outweigh its minimal weaknesses.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
When my fertility journey began at NYU I was given an appointment with Dr. DeVore, in part because she had availability at the time I requested. It was only minutes into my first appointment with Dr. DeVore that I got the feeling that I was assigned to the doctor who I was meant to be on this journey with. Fertility treatment is hard and it takes time and a lot of tears to get a place of joy. I couldn't have asked for a more compassionate, caring, and intelligent doctor to be paired with on this journey. There aren't enough words to describe my gratitude to Dr. DeVore.
Know that there are moments of this journey that can be harder than others, but TRUST that you're in the greatest hands possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra Kostyra)
Aleks was incredibly thorough. If she wasn't available to respond to questions, someone else on her team would follow-up. She never made me feel like I had a "dumb" question and was always willing to explain different aspects of my protocol that I was unsure of.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The team at NYU seems to have their practice down to a science. Just one visit during morning monitoring can show you just how many moving pieces there are how many patients the clinic is working with at any given time. Some mornings were a breeze, but the majority I spent significantly longer in the lobby waiting than I would have liked, despite set arrival times. That part can get quite frustrating, but it always seemed like the team was doing their best to try to manage. I would have likely benefited from more of an introduction to the clinics services as a whole, ie. who to call for what kind of question, but I quickly figured out how things worked. I had a couple of upsetting experiences seeing other doctors during morning monitoring, but with the amount of appointments I had, those were very much the exception. Overall, the clinic's strengths far outweigh its minimal weaknesses.
None of my donor related expenses were covered - ie. anything related to donor egg and sperm. In addition to those expenses, PGS testing, copays, etc. - my final cost was approximately $30,000
Investor
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring)...Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive...Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine...I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again...I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I would recommend Dr Licciardi to someone with a simple case. For someone with a more complex case or poorer prognosis, needing more customized care, I would NOT recommend him at all. I changed doctors after my cancelled retrieval and I am extremely happy I did so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be ready to advocate for yourself and do not expect to be guided at all. Ask a thousand questions if you do get the chance to speak with him (different protocols, what could they adjust, what levels are they looking for and on what basis will they adjust doses) - don’t expect any of this information to be volunteered as you may never actually see Dr L in person again after your first visit. He doesn’t always answer calls, but he DOES respond to emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring), and I felt like I got conflicting information and levels of care from different doctors and fellows over the course of each cycle. Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI cycle - Letrozole (one follicle, no pregnancy) IVF cycle - “mild” dose antagonist protocol with estrogen prime - protocol: estrogen patch + ganirelix prime; 150 iu follistim + clomid, ganirelix (17 days of stims), ovidrel trigger - result: cancelled cycle, recruited one follicle, still intended to retrieve (DOR, poor prognosis) but ovulated after trigger / shortly before retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive (once I could not reach my nurse because she was in the OR but they share files and my problem was solved by another nurse right away). Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: organized, high volume, solid nursing staff, once you learn to navigate the clinic they are very responsive, good for cookie-cutter cases Weaknesses: you’ll never see your doctor, you’ll get conflicting information from attending a and fellows (several doctors openly questioned my protocol), you will NOT receive personalized care. Also because they are so big, there’s not a lot of flexibility around scheduling (need to check a lot of boxes, little leeway). For me this didn’t work - my ovarian reserve is very low and my antral count varies month to month. I need to optimize my cycles around my body and not the clinic’s calendar, so switched to a smaller clinic with better results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
IUI and IVF were covered by insurance, meds were out of pocket (~$5000), biopsy for PGS was ~$4,600 out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
1) When scheduling my first IVF cycle, miscommunication between my doctor and coordinator meant that I never actually got on the official calendar. I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again. 2) I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day. It took me several hours to reach anyone and still never received a medical explanation for why my estrogen dropped right before the retrieval. 3) I paid upfront for PGS testing (biopsy) but retrieved zero eggs. I have spent months trying to get that cost refunded since there were no embryos to biopsy. I have still not gotten an answer from the billing dept.
Treated 2020
Undergoing fertility treatment during a global pandemic brought on all kinds of additional questions, concerns, and complications. Dr. DeVore went above and beyond to make sure I was informed, comfortable, and aware of my options. She considered not only my physcial health, but also remembered the information I shared about my career stressors...was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
Be honest and communicative about what you're hoping to achieve as a result of the treatments.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship, the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was prepared ahead of time, knowing that I wouldn't always see my doctor. Nonetheless, that can be jarring for those who don't expect that. Every doctor I saw was extremely attentive, prepared, and willing to answer questions and provide additional context if I requested it. The facilities are very pleasant and clean. When I returned for my second cycle, it felt like I was returning to a comfortable place where I'd be taken care of and that was very assuring for me.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. DeVore was exactly what I was looking for in a fertility doctor. She always took the time to explain everything to me. She was honest but compassionate when there was not so good news, and she always had a plan for the next step, which I appreciated. She was able to get me pregnant on my third round of IUI, but we had already set up the process for IVF in case the IUI didn't work. I'm so grateful to her for getting me pregnant, but also for her knowledge and approachable bedside manner.
We did one round of IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], and then the next round of IUI with Clomid and a trigger shot, which resulted in a pregnancy...All of the nurses were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and organized...I found the clinic to e very organized and well run. The open hours for labs/US could get crowded and you might wait for 15-20 minutes, but this was the same as the practice where I was seen first, so I wasn't surprised.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She will listen to what your hopes are and will be honest with you in coming up with your treatment plan. I very much appreciated her honest opinion and help in managing my expectations.
Dr. DeVore took the time to explain every detail of infertility with me, as well as every step along the way and exactly what the plan would be.
We did one round of IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot, and then the next round of IUI with Clomid and a trigger shot, which resulted in a pregnancy.
All of the nurses were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance almost completely covered my treatment. There were a few bills for ultrasounds and IUI, but overall less than $200 I would guess.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Grifo has a call with me each step of the way, good or bad, to explain what is going on, to answer questions, to discuss next steps and create a plan of action. He uses his own personal experiences to relate to you, and shows empathy and compassion... He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They [NYU] are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.... Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is just wonderful. I had an experience with one other doctor as a consult and another for treatments, Dr. Grifo was the first to treat me like a human. He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable. He also shared tips outside of the treatment protocol to help give us the best chances possible.
Go to him!! And trust him and his experience and judgement.
Dr Grifo learned from my past protocol with someone else that I needed an adjustment to my protocols. In addition to menopur and gonal F we added Clomid. In my prior cycle with another dr just menopur and gonal f resulted in a cancelled cycle. Dr. Grifo adding the clomid resulted in retrieving 5 eggs, which was more than even when I did a stimulation round several years ago when I was younger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful. They are efficient and compassionate.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.
I felt this was a very efficient process. Obviously there was some waiting on some days, but nothing significant.
Medications out of pocket were about 7K, insurance covered IVF I beleive the cost was about 8K, PGS testing was $5,100 upfront for related costs but receive refund for embryos not able to be tested
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF.... The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns.
This [NYU] is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible.
Dr Licciardi has great bedside manner and very personable. He seemed interested in getting to know us as a couple and he explained our test results to us in ways we could understand. He was thorough in all the tests he recommended and always told us his expert opinion, not just what we wanted to hear. He also listened to me and my concerns while going through IUI and I felt that we came up with my fertility plan together, which helped make me feel more involved and in control. Dr Licciardi never pushed IVF on us even though he believes that will be our best route, but knowing we weren’t ready and wanted to give IUI a shot, he was supportive and helped us to try and make that happen. After 4 failed attempts we decided to take a break and I started acupuncture. He was supportive and even encouraged it. We will be starting IVF in May. The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns. My two friends have had success with Dr Licciardi so I’m hopeful and excited to see what happens.
Be upfront about your ideas and plans for treatment and email him with any questions or concerns, you’ll get the quickest reply.
Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF. He also called to follow up with me after failed IUIs and is quick to answer any questions I have over email, which is super convenient.
All of my tests came back great, however my husband had slightly low motility. We wanted to start slow so our first cycle we tried natural IUI which Dr Licciardi was very supportive of since I have no discovered issues ovulating. After that failed we moved to Chlomid, followed by two more rounds using injectables. After 4 failed rounds I decided to see an acupuncturist and get my body and mind back in shape I order to start IVF. My cycles are on the shorter side which may be causing an issue with implantation. My acupuncturist and I are working together to correct that and it’s working! I’ll be starting IVF in May with a protocol of 150 Gonal F and 150 menopur to start.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kamini)
Every single nurse or coordinator I have dealt with has been amazing. They are friendly, remember your name, comforting and knowledgeable. They always make me feel that they care and are here to help. They are responsive and informative. I am very happy with the team of nurses!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible. They answer all of my questions and never make me feel like a bother.
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Our clinic does not do multiple embryo transfers and they explained the risks very clearly. My husband and I are on board.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
One of the nurses called with my 3rd IUI result and advised me I was pregnant, however, she read my estrogen levels instead of progesterone and realized it right away. She was so apologetic and says that has never happened in 18 years since she’s been a nurse. It was disappointing but I understood people make mistakes and we are all human. Dr Licciardi called me immediately after to make sure I was okay. I actually enjoyed those 5 seconds of thinking I was pregnant. :)
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Hodes is blunt but warm. She did seem to be quite rushed each time my partner and I met with her and I ended up scheduling a second consultation with her because I left my first appointment feeling overwhelmed and confused.... I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Hodes started our first cycle with timed intercourse and a low dose of Letrozole. I did not respond to the Letrozole at all (even when the dosage was raised) or to Clomid during out next cycle.
I would do some baseline research before attending your first appointment and come ready with a list of detailed questions.
While most of my time was spent with the nursing staff, I felt that Dr. Hodes made time to answer all of my questions -- including setting up a second consultation to make sure I was totally comfortable while deciding between IUI and IVF.
I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Hodes started our first cycle with timed intercourse and a low dose of Letrozole. I did not respond to the Letrozole at all (even when the dosage was raised) or to Clomid during out next cycle. At that point, Dr. Hodes recommend my partner and I move straight to IVF. I was hesitant about this choice for many reasons and after meeting with Dr. Hodes for another consultation, she agreed to let us try IUI with a very low dose of Gonal-F injectables. (Dr. Hodes kept me at a low dose due to concerns about OHSS.) I responded well to the Gonal-F and did not over produce. We completed one IUI but unfortunately the cycle was not successful. My partner and I have decided to begin IVF next month rather than trying another IUI.
The entire nursing staff at NYU is well-informed, compassionate, and efficient. They reassured me and answered all of my questions. I had many issues with my insurance coverage and offered me many tips on the best ways to save on things like lab work and medication coverage. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to get anyone on the phone during business hours.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a giant, well-oiled machine and it's hard not to feel like a number. That said, their lab is excellent and success rates for IVF are slightly higher here than at other clinics. I would recommend going to the location on West 52nd street as much as possible and staying away from the 1st Avenue location when you can. If you have any kind of insurance coverage it's best to read all of the billing paperwork thoroughly and keep copies of everything. I was incorrectly told that I did not have coverage hit up for $500 per visit by the head of billing even when I explained otherwise. This person told me my claims had been denied and that I didn't understand my own coverage . I found out later that she was not filing any of out claims with insurance. Eventually, I was able to get my insurance provider to send her an email explicitly stating that I was covered and my money was refunded. I want to assume that this issue was not a reflection of the institution as a whole but I did get the sense the NYU tries to make its patients pay out of pocket as much as possible.
My insurance covered my appointments until I received an official diagnosis of infertility. Blood work and ultrasound visits (which happen roughly 2 times a week) are $500 and out IUI was close to $4,500 including medications, monitoring, and the actual procedure
Describe Brooke Hodes-Wertz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nurses failed to give me information regarding a specific drug protocol via phone despite numerous attempts by me to get in touch. Eventually we were able to remedy the issue.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Grifo was very encouraging throughout our process. He was mindful of both the emotional and physical demand of IVF. He was sure to communicate how none of this was our fault, talked us through each step of the process, and reassured us when things didn't go as planned.... When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps.
They [NYU] are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was recommended to us by a very close family friend. After starting our journey with another doctor, when IVF became the best next step, we had to switch for insurance purposes. Our first visit with Dr. Grifo was comprehensive and very informative. He asked us a tone of questions, talked us through the science of the process in ways that we could understand and was sure to create space and time for any questions that we might have. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and were eager to get started. Throughout my treatment, I was fortunate to visit the clinic on his "days" which always made me feel better. He was always very thorough and would talk us through the implications of anything that was going on, offering encouragement and support. When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps. He assured us it wasn't our fault and that there was hope in terms of next steps both traditional and more innovative, and even offered ideas based on his latest research. He suggested further testing to help inform the course of action. I saw him for a biopsy, which was uncomfortable, but I always appreciated how Dr. Grifo would talk me through the procedure to help pacify any fears or discomfort. Lastly, we were very fortunate that Dr. Grifo was able to transfer our second embryo, which was successful! It was so great to have him there, and provide us with the confidence and calm that we needed. He told us it was his birthday, and that he had a good feeling about it! When we saw him at one of the first ultra sounds after being pregnant, it was clear how thrilled he was for us. He expressed his joy and confidence in us as parents, and allowed us to hear the heart beat as many times as we wanted! We simply could not have done this without him and we are so thankful for his knowledge and expertise.
To be patient, and to understand that as much as you'd like to see Dr. Grifo every time you are there, there are doctors of the day for a reason. Trust that he is very informed of your journey, and is always available if you want to schedule a call or email.
We used a series of injections to stimulate egg production/growth. I was then monitored regularly to ensure the right dose/frequency and monitor progress. These injections included daily doses of gonal, a few of lupron, and then an ovulation stimulator to ensure ovulation occurred. I was also put on estragen to help encourage a healthy uterine lining for the transfer. During the retrieval process, we retrieved 28 eggs, however, the nurse suggested we use ICSI, to help ensure fertilization given my husbands sperm numbers, were just slightly under the amount they wanted. After the transfer, I was put on progesterone and estrogen to help support the pregnancy. When our first transfer failed, Dr. Grifo suggested a biopsy of my uterine lining to test for bacteria which could have influenced the transfer. It came back negative so he told us to move forward with another transfer. This time around, Dr. Grifo suggested that we might want to try something different just for our peace of mind. So we tried a natural cycle without the use of estrogen and just the use of letrazole. However, after my first visit, Dr. Grifo didn't really like that I wasn't progressing and decided to put me back on the same cycle we tried before as it seemed to work better. It did, and that is what got us to our second transfer with Dr. Grifo! After that transfer, he put me back on the progesterone shots and estrogen, however, after I told him that the shots were making me really sore, he offered my progesterone inserts to help alleviate some of the shots.
The nursing staff was very knowledgable, encouraging, kind and patient. They were very thorough when calling with results and directions. I appreciated they also help talked me through the emotional implications of all of this.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
I provided some of my thoughts on a previous question.
I fortunately had good insurance which covered most of the costs of our first cycle with frozen embryo transfer. We did however, have to pay out of pocket for the PGS testing, about $7000, and then we had to pay out of pocket for the second transfer as it put us over my lifetime max. That was $4000.
Dr. Grifo shared his concerns about transferring one PGS normal embryo at a time. Given our embryos were normal, he was pretty adamant about his thoughts on transferring one at a time to reduce risks. However, he ultimately said that he'd do whatever we wanted.
Treated 2017 - 2019
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward with his communication. He is blunt when delivering statistics and probabilities. However, he has his own story of infertility with his wife and children and he has compassion for what his patients are going through. He is invested in figuring out why things aren't working and provides comfort and hope when needed. He is extremely knowledgeable and respected in this industry.
My embryo [at NYU] was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it.... I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Have all of your questions prepared before seeing him or getting him on the phone. He's willing to spend time with you answering them, but is quick and succinct, so be prepared. He is not overly warm, but after completing several cycles with him, I can attest he is a compassionate doctor. He's not the doctor you go to for a close Dr./Patient relationship. You go to him for his expertise and experience.
Dr Grifo appeared genuinely invested in our success and showed sympathy when things did not work out time after time. He would spend as much time on the phone as we needed, answering questions, suggesting further tests, providing condolences, etc.
I did a cycle at RMA where I was on 150 of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur. Dr. Grifo studied my results and ordered me to double that protocol and do 300 of each. He also added Clomid to my protocol. These changes helped me produce more eggs.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It used to be painful to call the clinic. You got the answering service each time, even during business hours, but they have changed it recently. Someone actually answers the call and they try to get someone on the line that can help you real time. The wait times can be long during monitoring hours, but I've been to RMA as well and it's bad everywhere. Get there early. They move through monitoring quickly.
Often long waits, but the clinic was very efficient getting people in and out as quick as possible.
$20K+
He prefers to only transfer one PGS tested embryo. He says there are too many risks to the mother and baby with Multiples. I don't know if he would agree to transfer multiple. I did not press him on this because his argument makes a lot of sense.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My embryo was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it. I was really upset, given I did not have many embryos. However, I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle given one of our precious embryos was destroyed. These things can happen, and clinic handled the mishap very well.
Success w/ Doc 20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval.... I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared
[NYU] is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory. . I think Dr. Licciardi wanted to manage my expectations because he told me to expect 10-14 eggs, but 22 were retrieved and 20 mature eggs were frozen (age 36). What this actually means I really don't know because Dr. Licciardi made it clear that there are no guarantees.
He is not going to hold your hand during the process but you will get excellent results.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. All of the doctors are highly skilled with decades of experience so you will always be in great hands. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory.
We started out with 150 Gonal F in the morning and 75 Menapur at night and then we decreased Gonal F dosage by the end of week one. Total cycle lasted 10 days. Results were 22 eggs retrieved. 20 frozen (but 2 were not fully mature but they froze them anyway).
You may see the same nurses during blood work, but often they are different. I never encountered any nursing staff who were rude or unkind. Nurses on retrieval day were very sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There should be more preparation for administering the injections. There was an orientation but I forgot everything by the time it was time to start the cycle. It is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior. Still not sure what the actual answer is for that question.
$6900 for egg freezing and storage for one year. 1,000 for anesthesia. I received a discount because it was medically necessary for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted the option to donate my eggs if I wanted. There were certain requirements that had to be met ahead of time. I wasn’t given the correct timeline for that so I do not have option to donate my eggs if I wanted to do so. It’s not the end of the world and probably will need all the eggs.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional...is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient...34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses...From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands...They have a very strong team of capable nurses at NYU. They were all very professional and kind. They answered all of my questions and were problem solvers when it came to making sure you had the medications you need. Cherie had a lot of insight into where to go to get medications and ways to save money on certain medications by applying for grants & discount programs. The nurses before and after my egg retrieval and FET were very kind and professional as well.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you can and know your medical history so you get the most out of your time with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional. From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was on a gonadotropin PGS/PGD Protocol. I started with Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 for the first 6 days. On the 7th day I was instructed to add Cetrotide in the morning in addition to Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 at night. On day 11, I took the Cetrotide injection in the morning and the trigger shot that night which was a combination of Ovidrel and Lupron. Retrieval day was a day later and 34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing. I did not have many side effects during the stimulation cycle except that my lower abdomen felt very sore on both sides. I was extremely bloated 2 days after the egg retrieval and definitely had to take it easy. I felt completely back to normal 2 weeks after retrieval.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses. I felt like I was in good hands and when going through IVF, you have to be able to trust the fertility clinic you have chosen. I never doubted my decision to go with NYU and I'm happy with the outcome I had with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance provided 20K in fertility benefits that is all going towards my IVF cycle at NYU. PGD & PGS testing from Natera costs 6K. I have paid around 3K to NYU so far. I had a copay for many of the medications so I ended up paying $350 for the medications needed during my gonadotropin protocol. I opted to do a natural cycle for my FET and was prescribed Crinone (Progesterone gel). The cost of those with insurance was $90 for a box of 15. I had to buy 4 boxes for a total of $360.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My frozen embryos were PGD & PGS tested. NYU informed me that they only do eSET for my circumstance. That is what I wanted as well.
Alan Berkeley

Treated 2018 - 2019
The doctor [Dr. Frederick Licciardi] and his research is top notch...First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle...He felt very comfortable going with one each time [Eset Approach]. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age...I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The morning clinic [NYU] is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced...They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
Dr. Licciardi is great. I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The doctor and his research is top notch. You have to be prepared mentally to deal with the NYU clinic - which is a whole other story.
We talked about common interests beyond having babies - like skiing. For me this is important - it's like a sales call, let's talk about something for a minute or two that isn't this crazy expensive stressful situation that we are really here to discuss.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the paperwork - but I could supply this later. (First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle)
The morning clinic is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It's NYU - and they have a great track record at getting the results that I wanted. I would recommend them for the work, but not the decor. Also the location is not easy to get to in the morning. I did hear that they might be opening more locations for bloodwork.
$4500/IVF
He felt very comfortable going with one each time. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
NY - 1st Ave
My first appointment with Dr. Hodes was when I got the results of my initial bloodwork...She bluntly told me that my chances of having a healthy live birth were pretty close to zero after showing me a few charts. I had some good things on my side though, such as a good egg reserve, so that was nice, but overall I felt overwhelmed and lonely durng that visit. It was very short and I left and cried my way to the subway. It felt a bit impersonal. Her office is on the West sideand I live in Brooklyn, so I opted to go to the office on the East side on 1st Avenue for my followups. I didn't really see her very much after that since she doesn't rotate in as often at the East side office. My experience at the 1st Ave office was lovely though. Everyone treated me with such care and respect. I ended up seeing Dr. Hodes for follow up after having surgery on my uterus, and that time she was very warm and sweet. She gave me good news about my surgery. Following that, we had a couple phone calls about what the next
The clinic [NYU Langone Fertility Center] is large, clean, and inviting. It's definitley better to go as early as possible if you are doing your bloodwork since it can get very busy in there, but everyone is calm and sitting around reading or on their phones. The longest I've had to wait after getting there closer to the end of the time range for bloodwork is about an hour...Everyone treated me with such care and respect. I ended up seeing Dr. Hodes for follow up after having surgery on my uterus, and that time she was very warm and sweet. She gave me good news about my surgery. Following that, we had a couple phone calls about what the next cycle would entail. She was very thorough, factual, and empowered me to make my decisions as I felt appropriate.
She's blunt and gives your the facts. Who knows how many people she sees in a day, so she's not always as warm as I may have like, but she can be very warm at times too. I really appreciate her not sugar coating things for me and making sure I had the data I needed to make my decisions.
Slow down a little if you can - your patients can sense when you are in a hurry. It's a scary time for a lot of us.
My first appointment with Dr. Hodes was when I got the results of my initial bloodwork. Part of what may have impacted my experience is that my husband had to be out of town that day for work, so I went alone. She bluntly told me that my chances of having a healthy live birth were pretty close to zero after showing me a few charts. I had some good things on my side though, such as a good egg reserve, so that was nice, but overall I felt overwhelmed and lonely durng that visit. It was very short and I left and cried my way to the subway. It felt a bit impersonal. Her office is on the West sideand I live in Brooklyn, so I opted to go to the office on the East side on 1st Avenue for my followups. I didn't really see her very much after that since she doesn't rotate in as often at the East side office. My experience at the 1st Ave office was lovely though. Everyone treated me with such care and respect. I ended up seeing Dr. Hodes for follow up after having surgery on my uterus, and that time she was very warm and sweet. She gave me good news about my surgery. Following that, we had a couple phone calls about what the next cycle would entail. She was very thorough, factual, and empowered me to make my decisions as I felt appropriate.
The overal strategy was to do a round of stims, and then retreival. We were going to freeze any embryos (we decided to genetically test), and then transfer any good embryos. We used Gonal and Menapur for the stims. Everything went very well during that phase, but ultimately the goal was to get as many eggs out since my issue is poor egg quality, so it was a numbers game. Since my chances were very low to have a high quality egg, the more eggs we got, the better our chances to find that good one. I had about 17-18 follicles at the time of retreival. Our of those, 13 eggs were retrieved and 6 embryos were made. Out of those 6 empbryos, 3 made it to Day 5. Unfortunately, none came back normal from the genetic testing. I was supposed to continue cycles and then have surgery on my uterus to correct the septum. Due to my own work and travel challenges, I opted to have the surgery first and have yet to do my second cycle.
The nurses are amazing. They are so compassionate and on their "A" game. Despite having to use a message service to get in contact with them over the phone, they are great with following up in a timely manner and getting you the info you need. Love them!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At the time I did my first cycle, there wasn't a clinic in Brooklyn, so that was a bit of extra hassle - going back and forth so often from Brooklyn to Manhattan. The clinic is large, clean, and inviting. It's definitley better to go as early as possible if you are doing your bloodwork since it can get very busy in there, but everyone is calm and sitting around reading or on their phones. The longest I've had to wait after getting there closer to the end of the time range for bloodwork is about an hour.
These were not a big deal. Imagine a large inviting room with maybe 50 chairs in a nice lounge arrangement. You get in, sign in, and wait for them to call your name.
Before insurance, around $35K. After insurance, around $5K out of pocket.
Treated 2016 - 2019
Dr Fino is great. We did not see her every visit as the clinic's schedule rotated. Certain doctors did certain procedures on specific days. But our consultations and appointments with her were always great. She took time to listen to our concerns and fully explain things. It was never rushed.... NYU prefers and indeed recommends single embryo transfer, especially if you opt for PGS, due to the risks associated with a multiples pregnancy.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number [at NYU] because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.... Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Book earlier than you think. They are very busy and it can take a while to get an initial appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It's a little of both at NYU. They have A LOT of patients and a very well-run and well-organized system. I can see how people would easily feel like a number but the staff is so friendly and caring and compassionate that I always personally felt like a human, even if I was just one of many women getting shuffled through the morning monitoring process. They always had a smile and asked how I was doing.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Honestly can't remember the specifics...
Friendly and well organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.
Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this. It would be crowded but I always arrived before 7 and was one of the first patients to be seen. I actually appreciated the set up of a morning monitoring window because I could get in and out before starting my workday and get my results/instructions before the end of the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
On par with other NYC facilities but to be honest, I can't remember exactly.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Elizabeth Fino
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Grifo] is very hard to reach and you barely ever see him. Having said that, his assistants are incredibly responsive. During our first consultation I felt he had all the time in the works for us and was going to do all he could. He also responded to us on an emotional level in a way that deeply resonated with me - something our previous doctor could not do.... Don’t expect to see him often. If you need to speak, his assistants will give you a small window in which he will call you.
[NYU is] So so busy and not as efficient as RMA. You will wait a long time for monitoring. Nurses are super nice. When you call you don’t get a person - you get a machine. But at least dr grifo has an assistant that is very helpful and responsive.... For the most part, they have great personalities and are very thoughtful and responsive.... [Cost Of Treatment] Between $15-20 for retreival and $2k for transfer... Strongly emphasizes transferring one embryo
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is very hard to reach and you barely ever see him. Having said that, his assistants are incredibly responsive. During our first consultation I felt he had all the time in the works for us and was going to do all he could. He also responded to us on an emotional level in a way that deeply resonated with me - something our previous doctor could not do.
He is the most empathetic doctor I have ever had. During our first consultation, I felt he understood on a complex emotional level what we were going through and what we needed to hear (even if it was tough to say).
High doses of stims- it worked because I got 30 eggs (which is May more than my previous 5 retrievals).
Between $15-20 for retreival and $2k for transfer
Strongly emphasizes transferring one embryo and warns against risk of multiples.