Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
6405 France Avenue Suite W400
Edina, Minnesota 55435
952-920-2730
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility to a friend?
2 doctors
3 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
While the nurses [at OGI] who did the insemination are good, we did have one IUI where my husband's sperm showed zero motility... and they told us that when I called to say I had my period and needed to schedule the next IUI. Had they told us that after running his sample, we would have asked to submit another sample, not bothered with the IUI that month, or just gone home and had sex. It was incredibly frustrating that they didn't think about telling us that information ahead of time.
3 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
OGI is big, with lots of options for doctors, and consistently rated one of the best clinics in the state. For my annual exam and endometriosis diagnosis, it was great. For IUI's, so-so. They do not do IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joy Hasseler at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
Dr. Hasseler is very knowledgeable on the basics of infertility. While she is my primary care Gyno, I felt on a few occasions that my questions might be unexpected or a slowing her down from other patients.
My biggest criticism of OGI is the nursing staff at the Maple Grove office. I've been a patient in Edina for years, but the MG office is different. They don't communicate the next steps in IUI very well, you always have to ask or just know what you need to do next. While the nurses who did the insemination are good, we did have one IUI where my husband's sperm showed zero motility... and they told us that when I called to say I had my period and needed to schedule the next IUI. Had they told us that after running his sample, we would have asked to submit another sample, not bothered with the IUI that month, or just gone home and had sex. It was incredibly frustrating that they didn't think about telling us that information ahead of time. After that, we asked what his results were before even going in for the insemination appointment. I also had an HCG test there after my first IVF FET that was the worst blood draw I've ever had. First, they dind't have the orders and wanted to do a FSH test on me instead. Second, I've never had a problem with getting blood drawn, but the first nurse couldn't get the needle in my vein at all. She tried my other arm and same problem. A second nurse struggled as well and was ready to go back to the first arm before she finally was able to get the blood drawn.
What specific things went wrong at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
How was your experience with Joy Hasseler at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
She is knowledgeable and understanding of infertility. I believe she is very skilled, and when she did my endometriosis surgery, I felt like she was very thorough and wanted to get answers. Again, I just had a few times where I felt like I was just another patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joy Hasseler at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
She knows her stuff, but she might not always be warm or the most caring doctor.
Describe the protocols Joy Hasseler used in your cycles at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility and their degree of success.
We did 4 IUI's with Dr. Hasseler. For IUI you get a baseline on day three, and come back in fro another Follicle Ultrasound on day 12 to check lining and eggs. I presented "textbook" cycles and was able to do a trigger shot on day 12, and come in on day 14 for the insemination for each cycle we completed. First IUI I only used clomid for days 3-7. The second IUI was clomid plus estradiol 1/day . They explained they wanted to make the lining more "sticky" with the estradiol. The third was clomid, plus estradiol 2/day and vaginally and I developed a cyst. The fourth was clomid plus estradiol 2/day vaginally, I did not develop a cyst this time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joy Hasseler at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
We initially had to pay out of pocket for IUIs, and it was around $1,000 total. When we changed insurance, they covered up to three IUIs and it dropped to about $200-$400.
Describe Joy Hasseler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
Joy Hasseler
Male Factor, Other
Once Dr. Marcus had his plan in place, the nurses [Obgyn&Infertility] really managed your experience and they seemed almost as invested in my journey as I was....We really got to know each other. And then some of the same nurses did my ultrasounds for my daughter in utero.... I was able to stay with this clinic from infertility to delivering my baby. It was a phenomenal experience. Everyone I encountered was a positive experience.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
You really understand your plan, and all the nurses, whoever you talk to, understands your plan and works with you to get pregnant, stay pregnant and deliver a health baby. Yes, I was able to stay with this clinic from infertility to delivering my baby. It was a phenomenal experience. Everyone I encountered was a positive experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Philip Marcus at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
When meeting with Dr. Marcus, he would take so much time to listen to my concerns and describe to me the treatment and path we were moving towards and everything that needed to happen. I felt so taken care of.
Once Dr. Marcus had his plan in place, the nurses really managed your experience and they seemed almost as invested in my journey as I was. especially for me with polycystic ovaries, I had to go in and do ultrasounds almost every day when I was in injectable meds. We really got to know each other. And then some of the same nurses did my ultrasounds for my daughter in utero.
How was your experience with Philip Marcus at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
Dr. Marcus knows what he's doing, he may be a bit arrogant and talks a lot, but he really does know what he's doing and if says he'll get you pregnant, I have learned to believe him. He said I would be pregnant within 3 successful cycles and voila, I was pregnant within 3 successful cycles and now have my beautiful baby daughter (it took 8 months to get three successful cycles due to not knowing how my body would react to the meds). I have recommended two close friends go see him. He is the best of the best in the Twin Cities. My sister in law saw him and she had to do IVF, and while his clinic doesn't perform them, he told her to go right to IVF instead of leading her down the wrong path so his clinic could financially benefit. He is extremely trustworthy and up front.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Philip Marcus at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility?
You sometimes have to wait a long time to see him when you have an appointment, but it's because he takes so much time with his patients. and you so appreciate it when you are on the receiving end. Look around the ego, he's the best.
Describe the protocols Philip Marcus used in your cycles at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility and their degree of success.
I was 28-29 years old throughout what I described below. After some initial ultrasounds and testing in April and May of 2016, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries (PO) and my husband (age 29-30 throughout this period of time) was diagnosed with a bit of male factor infertility. Important to note, I was not diagnosed with PCOS. Only Polycystic Ovaries. I didn't have the other signs that would lead to a PCOS diagnosis. So the best path forward was to use medications to get my ovaries to grow mature follicles and ovulate and then do an IUI to ensure the best sperm could reach hopefully a viable egg. I swear I have the most stubborn polycystic ovaries. We initially tried Letrozole and I was able to grow 1 mature follicle for my first cycle, ovulate with Ovidrel and do an IUI. It did not result in a pregnancy. We tried two more Letrozole cycles that both ended up being cancelled. I didn't grow a mature follicle with Letrozole again. So we decided to move on to injectables. I did a laparoscopy first to ensure I didn't have other issues with my lady parts. Everything looked perfect. I just had PO. Our first cycle of injectable meds was cancelled. With having PO and using injectable meds for the first time, Dr. Marcus and team had to be conservative and start the med dosage low, since you never know how your body will react. It can be a delicate balance because your docs don't want you to overstimulate which can land you in the hospital. So for that first cycle of injectables, I was unable to grow a mature follicle. The first cycle for me was a good lessons learned cycle... the doctors were able to understand how my body reacts to these meds and course correct. For my second injectable cycle, we started with 75 Menopur days 3-7 and added incremental follistim days 8-15 (ended at 125iu) on top of the Menopur. With daily ultrasounds and monitoring closely, I grew 3 mature follicles and triggered all 3 mature follicles via Ovidrel and completed an IUI. Two weeks later, I took a positive pregnancy test. 9 months later I delivered a healthy, beautiful baby girl who is turning 6 months old as I write this. We have so much more joy and love in our life than I ever thought possible. Now, we are beginning to wrap our minds around the fact that we will be dealing with our infertility again in the future, probably within the next year to hopefully try for another baby and provide our daughter a sibling. While I know I have a pretty good story compared to others, having a child within 5 assisted cycles, at the time, it was extremely emotionally painful and hard. I was a mess and looking at that process again gives me a bit of PTSD, but realizing I'm up for the battle again soon.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Philip Marcus at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
Most of my appointments with Dr. Marcus were covered by insurance. What cost the most money (when I ran out of my annual infertility allowance of $2,000) was the almost daily ultrasounds for each cycle ($300 each ultrasound out of pocket) and then the injectable meds - probably cost about $1,500 each cycle.
Describe Philip Marcus's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Obstetrics Gynecology & Infertility.
Not applicable to me