Ohio Reproductive Medicine

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
4830 Knightsbridge Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43214
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ohio Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Sally [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] is one of the most caring and understanding nurse that I have ever met. I don't know if it's because of her experience...A nurse made me order extra medications that I didn't need and that cost me a lot of money and the clinic would no even apologized or do anything about it.... When they mess up for any reason, they try to pin it on you the patient. The billing department needs to be checked for the occurrence of error and over charging patients because no one is taking the time to do proper calculation and contacting insurance companies in a timely manner.
Black or African-American, Other
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Their strength is because they are close to where I live and the only one my insurance covers. Weakness, the IVF nurses treats you like a number and do not take the time to explain things to you. When they mess up for any reason, they try to pin it on you the patient. The billing department needs to be checked for the occurrence of error and over charging patients because no one is taking the time to do proper calculation and contacting insurance companies in a timely manner. Also, ORM leaders should take a look into who sits at the front desk and who answers calls attitude. For God's sake, this is a clinic not a baby buying business market.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I do have a connection and a history with Dr. Londra herself and she has always treated me like a human being and not a number. Some of the nurses (not Sally) on the other hand, at one point treated me like a number and acted very rude and working in healthcare and seeing myself at the other end was not a good feeling at all. Fertility is such an emotionally and financially devastating journey that if a nurse is rude does not help but worsen matters. I only hope they know the reason and vision behind what they do as fertility nurses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Sally)
Sally is one of the most caring and understanding nurse that I have ever met. I don't know if it's because of her experience. She is the best nurse ORM could ask for, trust me
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Londra is very passionate about what she does and she is extremely careful in raising your hopes up (at least for me). Even though sometimes it's not what you'd like to hear, but she will let you know your exact chances and explain further if necessary. I think too that she is sometimes too careful which can be good and bad too.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Mae sure you ask questions if you don't understand or are not sure about anything during your appointment with her before you leave. She will answer any question question you have to the best of her knowledge and if you have any doubt, be sure to let her know.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Even though my insurance paid for part of it, it was still expensive.
Describe Laura Londra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Oh yes, she did. she would not transfer ore than one embryo which my partner and I were really against it.
Columbus
The clinic [ORM] does not have a care coordinator. It does not feel like you have a go to person who knows you and everything about your care. If you have insurance needs for prior authorization or help with appeals for coverage there is not anyone well versed in the process who helps to guide you. The billing process in unclear because you show up and they tell you how much you owe, you have to ask for them to send you a statement outlining charges. The office staff is nice
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic does not have a care coordinator. It does not feel like you have a go to person who knows you and everything about your care. If you have insurance needs for prior authorization or help with appeals for coverage there is not anyone well versed in the process who helps to guide you. The billing process in unclear because you show up and they tell you how much you owe, you have to ask for them to send you a statement outlining charges. The office staff is nice and they do try to make the process seem less daunting. But you cannot help but feel like there is a little impersonal slant to the way they provide care giving rise to feeling like one of many who are paying a lot of money without a lot of guidance. I actually think that if they added a care coordinator or designated a single person to communicate about care then it would alleviate most of the weaknesses that I appreciated at this office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
It really feels like you are one of many paying customers just being ushered through the process by the office. I have tried to engage with conversation regarding next steps and I communicated by desire to move from IUD to IVF and never received any real counseling regarding why or why not the move should be made.
There is an online patient portal and of course a phone line for the nurses. Initially the portal was active for communication with the nurses but then they became unavailable online. Therefore, you had to call leave a message and then wait for a callback. I sometimes felt like they had not reviewed my chart to know where I was in the process and it lead to a lot of repetition on my part.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I really like Dr Schmidt. He was knowledgeable and had good bedside manner. He seemed genuinely interested in helping us to achieve pregnancy. He recommended moving to different medications when it was necessary. I did occasionally feel there was a canned response to how they deal with patients in a protocolized way and not individualized care
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Research your options and have baseline knowledge before your appointment so that you can readily participate in your care.
Describe the protocols Grant Schmidt used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We used letrozole for 5/6 of the cycles for ovulation induction. We started at 5 mg then increased to 7.5 mg for 3 cycles and then we increased up to 10 mg. For the last cycle we used Gonal F injections. 3/6 cycles were successful in producing a dominant follicle. We used 5000 units of HCG to cause ovulation. We had insemination 36 hours following HCG injection. We did not achieve pregnancy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance has stipulations on infertility coverage that have to be met before benefits are active. We paid for our 6 cycles out of pocket except for the letrozole. Ultrasound visits were ~$180, IUI was ~$275, Estrogen lab during a cycle ~$43. Medications were separate, we paid ~$100 for hcg injection, Gonal F was $1900 for the amount I needed, donor sperm was out of pocket as well
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Very clean, staff [at Ohio Reproductive Med- Columbus] are all friendly, did not take very long to get an appointment. A weakness would be sometimes it is hard to reach nursing staff by phone, and I don't like the recurring payment system in the sperm bank. It used to be month to month payment system which I preferred.... First I did Clomid with timed intercourse. Produced some follicles that matured appropriately but was unsuccessful. Next tried Menopur, Femara, and Bravelle for an attempt at egg retrieval but it was cancelled twice due to poor response.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Very clean, staff are all friendly, did not take very long to get an appointment. A weakness would be sometimes it is hard to reach nursing staff by phone, and I don't like the recurring payment system in the sperm bank. It used to be month to month payment system which I preferred.
Dr. Schmidt always sits down and talks to us and breaks everything down and makes sure we are clear on every thing. He is very kind and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
She was very nice. She wrote out the multiple steps to my medications both on the script and on a seperate piece of paper so I would understand. Very considerate and caring.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I love everything about Dr. Schmidt! He is honest about my diagnosis and my results (good or bad), and doesn't provide false hope or completely kill my dreams like some doctors can do. He explains all of our options so that we can prepare mentally and financially. I have been to other facilities where they give you minimal options and don't allow you much input. I am a nurse and have studied my diagnosis, so I know what options I have. I like that Dr. Schmidt listens to me and works with me instead of just telling me what to do. The only weakness would be that sometimes speaking to nursing staff can not be as timely as I'd like, but since there is the patient portal now I haven't had many issues. Only place I will go for my fertility treatment and I am hopeful that this time around we will be successful!
Write down any questions you may have. He will sit down and answer anything so have them written down so you don't forget anything.
$5000
Describe Grant Schmidt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
No particular approach was preferred or discussed. The goal was just to produce mature follicles and go from there.
Columbus
The practice [Ohio Reproductive Med-Columbus] included multiple doctors and nurses. You will have a primary doctor but depending on when you go in for treatment, IUI or IVF you may see another doctor. All the doctors we encountered were extremely knowledgeable, polite and courteous.... Nancy and Mckenzie answered all of our questions. I called frequently during our treatment process and they were very respectful and followed up with phone calls immediately.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The practice included multiple doctors and nurses. You will have a primary doctor but depending on when you go in for treatment, IUI or IVF you may see another doctor. All the doctors we encountered were extremely knowledgeable, polite and courteous.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams and his nurses were extremely knowledgeable and approachable. They were always respectful and answered all of our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and Mckenzie)
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams approached our situation with care and worked with my partner and I to ensure that all of our questions were answered. After the first few IUI inseminations, resulted in negative pregnancy results. Dr. Williams moved forward with the next course of treatment which included additional testing and using Clomid and the trigger shot. This course of treatment worked for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
You need to make sure you ask all questions to help with your course of treatment. You will need to be patient and if your course of treatment is not progressing properly then you need to follow up with the nurses and the doctor.
Describe the protocols Steven Williams used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did not use treatment strategies until after the first 3 negative results. I had an HSG test completed and we tried a fourth time. This time also resulted in a negative test. The next two treatments included using Clomid and the trigger shot with the 6th time being the lucky number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The costs were straight forward and discussed during the treatment process. Even when we had the HSG test, Nurse Nancy worked with us to get the lowest cost possible.
Columbus
I am allergic to latex and I feel like I have to constantly remind the office [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] not to use the latex covers on the ultrasound wands...ORM does an excellent job providing patients with printout sheets with insurance codes and cost. I always felt like I knew the associated cost of my care...Plenty of availability. I was able to get an appointment as needed and usually offered a few different times and was able to choose my preferred appointment slot. My wait time to see the doctor was also minimal.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Williams is very nice. He is quite personable and made me feel relaxed and at ease in his care. However, Dr. Williams was always missing vital information from my medical records. I am allergic to latex and I always have to remind him to switch to the non-latex wand covers for my ultrasound monitoring. He also did not appear to have reviewed my husband's SA results and I had to remind him in my appointment to please do so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy/ McKinzie)
Both of Dr. Williams' nurses were wonderful to work with. If they sensed it was an emotional visit for me, they showed compassion as they passed me a box of tissues.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams and I did not collaborate or make decisions together well. He is incredibly nice but airs on the conservative side with his treatment recommendation. According to Dr. Williams, I had only been trying to conceive for 12 months and was 31 years old so I should be patient and just keep taking clomid rather than move on to more aggressive treatment. I reminded him that I already tried 5 monitored clomid cycles and that I wanted to add in a low dosage of gonadotropins to produce more follicles and increase my odds of conception, I wanted to add this treatment to a monitored cycle. Dr. Williams explained the risk of multiples and the expense of the drug which I appreciate but ultimately my husband and I wanted to move forward. We were willing to take on the risk and expense of this treatment but it was not what Dr. Williams wanted for us so the treatment was halted. Dr. Williams was very good at explaining why he thought the gonadotropins were a bad idea, he made sure all my questions were answered. I don't, however, feel that our input was taken into consideration. He told us that within 2 years, 90% of couples my age are successful at becoming pregnant. Being advised to remain patient for another full calendar year before moving onto more-aggressive treatment was heart-wrenching.
Be sure to self-advocate for yourself. Dr. Williams is very knowledgeable and professional, however, he is a busy man and has hundreds of patients. If there is a specific treatment that you think will benefit you, come armed with information and be prepared to defend your stance. Dr. Williams will give you stats and percentages and reference medical journals at the drop of a hat. I got a bit caught up in this and felt personally attacked but keep in mind that he has over 20 years of experience and he is trying to explain something in laymen's terms in your brief time together.
Dr. Williams switched me from clomid to femara and we did monitored cycles with a trigger injection.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Ohio Reproductive Medicine is very busy. They have early appointments and a lab tech in house for easy lab draws. Ultrasounds are done by one of their phsyicians which is nice because you know what is going on.... Kathy and Carol were very nice, but you could tell that they were overwhelmed. They always communicated results the same day.... This clinic does not have anesthesia, so IVF cycles are about $1000 cheaper that other clinics.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Ohio Reproductive Medicine is very busy. They have early appointments and a lab tech in house for easy lab draws. Ultrasounds are done by one of their phsyicians which is nice because you know what is going on. Their lab and techniques are behind the times.
I felt like a number. He would often forget our circumstances and what had happened previously. I felt like they wanted to get you discharged to your OB as fast as possible. I had a missed miscarriage, ended up miscarrying on Christmas Day. I called the clinic the following week because my OB was handling everything at that point, but I wanted to talk to my doctor. I received a call back from a nurse who I never spoke to before. She was very cold and told me I couldn't get an appointment with him until March, which was over 2 months away. He never contacted me regarding the miscarriage or to make sure everything was being handled appropriately. When I saw him in March, which I basically did for closure, he was completely clueless.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy and Carol )
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Scmidt is the director of the practice. He is a very nice man and seems knowledgeable, but he does not remember specific things about his patients. After meeting with another doctor, my suspicion regarding his practices being behind the times was confirmed.
Be an advocate for yourself. Ask specific questions because he is very general and vague when replying. He is not a fan of additional testing, you have to ask for specific things or bring them up when meeting with him because he does not do them automatically.
He seems to use the long lupron protocol with all of his patients. He diagnosed me with PCOS, which at this point I am not really sure I have. I did IVF stims for 9.5 days and triggered with an estrogen level of about 1500. We ended up getting 8 eggs, 7 mature, 6 fertilized. We got 3 5 day embryos out of this cycle. The first fresh transfer ended in miscarriage. We had normal rising HCG levels, but when I went for ultrasound at 8 weeks (yes, this clinic does not do an ultrasound until 8 weeks), there was no evidence of pregnancy in my uterus. He assumed ectopic and was going to give me methotrexate. I was spotting and refused the methotrexate until I had an HCG level drawn. At that point, my HCG level was 25, so I was miscarrying on my own. I was glad I stood up for myself and waited to see what was going on before taking the methotrexate, which I didn't need. The second transfer was successful with normal rising HCG levels. I went in for ultrasound at 8 weeks 3 days, saw the heartbeat and was told all was well and was discharged to my OB. Went into by OB around 11 weeks, and had a missed miscarriage. Baby was measuring 8 weeks 1 day. My OB looked at previous ultrasound and at 8 weeks 3 days, baby was measuring a week behind. I wish I would have known this because I would have asked for an earlier follow up ultrasound at the fertility clinic. It wouldn't have changed the outcome, but I could have prevented a miscarriage on Christmas Day as well as several weeks of taking IM progesterone and estrogen, which was both painful and expensive. My third frozen transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I didn't want to do the third transfer with this clinic, but I couldn't leave my last embryo there and we were not able to move the embryo to any other clinic.
This clinic does not have anesthesia, so IVF cycles are about $1000 cheaper that other clinics. IVF was about $8800, meds were about $2000. FET was bout $3000, meds were about $1000.
He always recommended single embryo transfer due to my age (28-30), but it was ultimately our decision.
2014 - 2017
The nurses assigned with Dr. Schmidt [at ORM] were generally positive. Communication is difficult. They screen calls so you cannot call and just speak to someone. You have to leave a voicemail and wait for a return phone call, which I always seemed to miss. I did have a negative experience with an on-call nurse that was too abrasive to my hormonal self and it was upsetting...You have to be on top of your own results and call in for information.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
There are limitations on clinics that provide fertility treatments in our area so I would recommend this clinic based solely on my experiences and what is available to someone. This can be a difficult journey so take advantage of any support that you can get. If the treatments were not so expensive, I would go through this another time.
Dr. Schmidt was personable and was honest but practical in his advice.
The nurses assigned with Dr. Schmidt were generally positive. Communication is difficult. They screen calls so you cannot call and just speak to someone. You have to leave a voicemail and wait for a return phone call, which I always seemed to miss. I did have a negative experience with an on-call nurse that was too abrasive to my hormonal self and it was upsetting.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
My overall experience was positive as I ultimately got pregnant. It did take a few visits but I would have done it all again with Dr. Schmidt. He had a personable attitude and explained things that he would see in ultrasounds, etc. in a way I would understand. I would most definitely recommend him to a friend.
If you don't want to be conservative in your treatments, let him know. We started with an IUI treatment that probably should have been avoided and gone straight to IVF, which is more invasive.
I don't recall exact medications and dosages but I did 3 IUI with Femara and an HCG trigger shot and then an IVF with progesterone following the procedure.
Insurance covered a majority of the costs and we paid approximately $5000.
We transferred two embryos and only one carried to full term. I wish that I had only transferred one but was worried I was lessening my chance of pregnancy.
Columbus
[At Ohio Reproductive Medicine] The procedure [IUI] was $346 for the sperm wash and insemination. The Letrozole I had been taking was $18 per month through a specialty pharmacy. We had to pay a deposit of $1200 for the IVF procedures and lab fees...Strengths: well-established clinic; doctors and nurses with a lot of experience; friendly staff; large, well-organized facility; plenty of doctors, male and female; easy to find; plenty of parking; knowledgeable; easy to contact; return calls promptly; eIVF app; easy to use patient portal. Weaknesses: need a larger waiting room; practice is very large.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
While the clinic was often crowded (especially in the morning), Dr. Williams and his nurses were always kind and welcoming. He did a good job of making us feel comfortable and explaining all of his procedures. We were very happy in his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mackenzie and Nancy)
Makenzie and Nancy were always willing to answer questions, and they got back to me promptly about any messages I left. Nancy went into detail about how to give myself shots, and she instructed my husband well on how to give the trigger shot and the progesterone shots. I always felt comfortable with the nurses, especially Nancy. She was just so friendly and warm.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams' strengths are his friendly attitude and his clear explanations of procedures and risks. He was also always willing to answer questions and didn't seem rushed. He always had a smile and a handshake to give, and he was very well versed in current studies and techniques. His one weakness is that after an extended vacation, he had trouble remembering us and our circumstances. This memory lapse was during my 7 week ultrasound to confirm pregnancy before releasing us to the regular ob/gun. Because I was already pregnant, I wasn't too worried about his memory.
Make sure to ask any questions that you want. He can talk quickly, so if you need clarity, just ask. In my experience he's been more than willing to explain anything.
I did Letrozole for 4 cycles with no success. We then discussed IVF. Williams recommended IUI first, but since we had been TTC for 5 years, he was fine with just moving right to IVF. While we were preparing all the paperwork for IVF, we did one round of IUI just to see if it would work. It did not. So on to IVF we went. I did 75cc of Gonal in the morning and 75cc of Gonal and 150cc (I think) of Menopur in the evening for 10 days. I also used an ovulation suppressant for 3 days before retrieval, but I can't remember what it's called. I also used a trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. On the day of retrieval, i took a Xanax two hours before the procedure. And I took Zofran about 30 min before the procedure. Because Williams was on vacation, Dr. Schmidt did the retrieval. Although I had heard (on this website) that he can be unfriendly or arrogant, he was nothing but warm and kind to me. The nurse gave me a shot of Dilaudid about 30 minutes before the procedure. The only side effect I noticed was dizziness. The retrieval wasn't painful at all. I was very impressed. Dr. Schmidt definitely has had many years of practice, so that was a real benefit. I spent the rest of the day on the couch. I had had a stomach bug earlier in the week, so I needed the rest. He retrieved 10 eggs. 8 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blastocysts. We transferred the best one and froze the other 4. Dr. Londra preformed the transfer because Williams was still on vacation. She was also very friendly, but she was a little nervous because Williams had written in his notes that he had had trouble getting the catheter into my uterus when he has done the practice run. But everything went really smoothly, and she said she had no issues. She seemed very relieved. Again, there was no real pain, and I spent the rest of the day hanging out and watching America's Funniest Home Videos. I read that laughter aids in implantation because it helps your body relax and release endorphins. Ten days later, I did a blood test and got a call later that the pregnancy test was positive. I did another blood test 3 days later, and it also looked great. Three weeks later, I went in to do a 7 week ultrasound with Dr. Williams. He was back from vacation and looking refreshed, but he couldn't remember our names or history. At that point, I didn't really care because I had one healthy gestational sac and I was released to my regular ob/gyn. I also began progesterone in sesame oil shots every day after retrieval until reaching 12 weeks of pregnancy. It was not fun! But my husband got very good at giving them, and it was only a half a milliliter. I always sat on a heating pad afterward to help disperse the oil, and we alternated sides. I tried suppositories after 8 weeks, but they were mostly too messy to use consistently. I took them if I was going to be away from my husband for the night or if my butt was just too sore for another shot. So glad they're over!
We were incredibly lucky that my husband's company provided infertility benefits. We didn't want to use them on the IUI so we paid out of pocket for that. The procedure was $346 for the sperm wash and insemination. The Letrozole I had been taking was $18 per month through a specialty pharmacy. We had to pay a deposit of $1200 for the IVF procedures and lab fees. To the best of my knowledge, that's all we paid to the clinic. The drugs were also covered under our insurance, but only up to $4000, I think. So we had to pay about $1500 over that coverage for all of the medication. I think I paid another $50 for more progesterone when my supply was running low. We also had to pay a deposit and a monthly fee to store our frozen embryos. I think the deposit was $150 or so, and the monthly fee is around $40. So all in all, we spent about $3000 on our various treatments including one round of IVF. I could not be happier with that expense considering what people normally pay out of pocket.
Describe Steven Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Williams and his nurses were pretty adamant about a single embryo transfer. I am 32 and my husband is 33, so we were fine with one. We also have friends who transferred 2 and then one embryo split, and they got triplets! We did not want that to happen to us.
2008 - 2017
There seems to be a very supportive team environment [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine]. When my doctor was on vacation I had a test result come back abnormal. My nurse contacted another physician in the practice (Dr. Williams) who reviewed and updated my protocol. I really appreciated the initiative she took in ensuring my care was the most appropriate. Ultrasounds and ivf procedures are done by the doctor on call. I was nervous at first to interact with a different doctor each time, but I've found them all to very knowledge, pleasant and helpful.
2008 - 2017
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
There seems to be a very supportive team environment. When my doctor was on vacation I had a test result come back abnormal. My nurse contacted another physician in the practice (Dr. Williams) who reviewed and updated my protocol. I really appreciated the initiative she took in ensuring my care was the most appropriate. Ultrasounds and ivf procedures are done by the doctor on call. I was nervous at first to interact with a different doctor each time, but I've found them all to very knowledge, pleasant and helpful.
Dr. Grant has a very warm bedside manner. I felt very comfortable asking any questions. His nurses Kathy and Carol are wonderful people. Many times I cried in the office or on the phone, as I am pursuing fertility treatments after my sons death, and they were especially kind and empathetic.
Kathy and Carol are wonderful. Very patient and positive. They appear to have a very good working relationship with Dr. Grant. At times I felt confused about which nursing department to contact (ivf nurses or Dr. Grants personal nurses).
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I have been a patient on and off for almost 8 years. I've always been impressed with his knowledge of reproductive health. He does tend to rattle off stats and info rather quickly but will always take the time to throughly explain if you ask for clarification. Dr. Grant has been very mindful of the cost/benefit of procedures as I am totally self pay.
Prepare your questions in advance and don't be afraid to ask something.
My first ivf round was microdose Lupron with Bc. My fsh level was slightly elevated. He assured me at my age I should have some quality eggs left but I may not produce a lot. My estrogen level was almost 1200 but sadly only 2 eggs were retrieved. I was disappointed with this procedure for a couple of reasons. A fresh transfer was planned but on retrieval day (after I had been given Ativan and dilauid) I was told my progesterone was too high and it would be best to freeze. I thought someone would have called prior to my retrieval to tell me. My progesterone came back high two days before my retrieval. We were expecting to retrieve 7, but only got 2. Dr. Grant did not do my retrieval, Dr. Kennard did. I never really got an explanation as why only 2 eggs were retrieved. My second round I was on an antagonist protocol with no Bc. After 6 days of stimms 5 eggs were retrieved. We planned to do a freeze since I needed surgery to remove a uterine polyp.
Ivf cycles were about 7,000 There was a detailed list of costs given prior to starting ivf.
Have not transferred yet
Columbus
I didn't like that I had to prepay for every appointment [at Ohio Reproductive Med]. I talked with billing and they were very rude. In the beginning I was not well informed about where to go for bloodwork and was made to feel like an idiot by the staff.... I felt more comfortable with the nurses. I felt like they were my cheerleaders through the process. They always were encouraging and informed me of all the details
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I didn't like that I had to prepay for every appointment. I talked with billing and they were very rude. In the beginning I was not well informed about where to go for bloodwork and was made to feel like an idiot by the staff.
I felt rush through the appointments with less than 5 minutes to actually talk with the doctor.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I almost always saw him when I had an appointment. He seemed personable and honest about helping us achieve our goal. There were times when I felt rushed like he needed to see as many patients as possible. I didn't feel like I could ask any questions and needed to wait to speak with the nurses.
Make sure you ask any and all questions while in the office no matter if he made you feel rushed. That is why he is there to help us all achieve our goal.
We started with 4 rounds of a variation of Clomid since I was already on clomid for 5 months with my ob/gyn. During these rounds, Schmidt also monitored be for.ovulation and used a hcg trigger. The dosage was always the same and nothing changed. These didn't work so we moved onto injectable, follistim. I was monitored and also used a hcg trigger. The only change in meds was the last cycle when he increased my follistim from 100 to 150 and added progesterone suppositories for 7days after trigger. The progesteeone was added because it was low the on tge last cycle. All through my medicated cycles, my lining and estrogen was monitored also.
Each office visit cost around $500 and bloodwork was $250 plus medication
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The main waiting room [Ohio Repro Med] could be set up better and the new receptionist is still learning the ropes. Overall it's a nice place....$160 for follicular ultra sound. $200 for HSG. Less than $1000 for laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. just under $400 for IUI....Nancy and Mackenzie are Dr. Williams nurses. They are both good but Nancy is amazing!!! She is always willing to answer any questions and she really cares about the patients. Mackenzie is a little more reserved but does a good job.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The main waiting room could be set up better and the new receptionist is still learning the ropes. Overall it's a nice place.
He is always prepared and knows what's going on. He never asks me to tell him things he should already know. He is also very compassionate and very positive. His nurses are amazing too!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Wolff)
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Wiliiams treats you like you matter and makes sure you are aware of and understand all of your options. He is very knowlegable and I feel like I'm in good hands with him. I drive 2 hours for appointments because I don't want to change doctors. He was the 1st dr to find why my tubes were blocked and he did the surgery to unblock them. He did a great job and now both tubes are open and were are now trying IUI again. Also, they make sure to help save costs whenever possible. I would hands down recommend him to anyone needing fertility help.
Listen to him and really consider his suggestions. I didn't at 1st and wasted a round of IUI because I didn't have him do a 2nd HSG that I thought I didn't need. Turns out he found my problem after performing it himself and I had to have surgery. I could have saved myself a lot of time, money and heartbreak if I had taken his advice.
My 1st treatment was 100mg Clomid days 3-5 and I had 2 good follicles on day 14. I did 1 mL of pregnyl that night and had intercourse. My iui was day 16 at 9:30am then 21 day prgesterone Test showed I ovulated. I didn't get pregnant but I had blocked tubes I didn't know about yet. Next cycle repeated the same but no good follicles could be found (no iui) but 21 day progesterone showed I did ovulate again. Still BFN. Next round 150mg Clomid 2 follicles did pregnyl and iui then 21 day progesterone showed I didn't ovulate. Obviously BFN. This next round they are going to try Femara.
Usually just paid my copay for regular visits. $160 for follicular ultra sound. $200 for HSG. Less than $1000 for laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. just under $400 for IUI
Have not dealt with this
Columbus
The billing department [Ohio Reproductive Med] was lacking in their communication and ability to follow up with my insurance company. They told me my insurance coverage wrong twice and really frustrated me. Eventually they got it straightened out.... Nurse Sally was great. She's been doing this for awhile so was very knowledgeable. She was compassionate and honest. Always made me feel comfortable asking questions.... My insurance covered a lot of my prescriptions, ultrasound visits, and even IVF since it was my first round.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The billing department was lacking in their communication and ability to follow up with my insurance company. They told me my insurance coverage wrong twice and really frustrated me. Eventually they got it straightened out.
Dr Londra got to know me and my husband. She had a warm bedside manner and explained treatments thoroughly. She always made me feel comfortable to ask questions and she gave honest answers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Sally)
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I felt like Dr. Londra was my friend. We didnt share our fertility challenges with anyone, but I always had her to express my feelings to. She calmed me when i was anxious and I instantly trusted her to take care of me.
Don't hesitate! I was embarrassed and nervous to start treatment. But after being in her care I regret that I didnt start sooner.
Describe the protocols Laura Londra used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I dont remember everything from memory. She started with low dose pills and closely monitored results. Each month she made adjustments, increasing dosage and adding injectibles. But, the increases were gradual and I really appreciated that. We started with the least invasibe treatment and moved up the ladder. I didnt want to take risks with multiples and she agreed. She was up front that after the treatments we'd done, IUI would not significantly increase oir chances, but let us decide if we wanted to try it. We decided to save our restricted insurance coverage for IVF. The retreival was uncomfortable, but she talked me through it. We did a fresh transfer of 1. She was out of town for a conference for the transfer, but left me in good hands and gave me her cell phone number before she left in case i had questions or just needed to hear her opinion. I was so nervous after getting blood drawn for my first pregnancy test. I was waiting on pins and needles for a nurse to call me. The call came the same afternoon as my test, and it was Dr. Londra herself! I was so thankful she took the time to call me to share the news, answer my questions, and tell me next steps.
I domt remember. My insurance covered a lot of my prescriptions, ultrasound visits, and even IVF since it was my first round. Going forward it will all be out of pocket since tge coverage for infertility has a lifetime max.
Dr. Londra shared the risks of transferring multiple embryos as well as how little multiple ones would increase the chance of pregnancy. She left the decision up to us and said they would go with what we decided. We considered transferring 2. But after speaking with her, we decided to go with 1 and are thankful for her information and advice.
Columbus
The clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] is conviently located next to the lab that takes the sperm samples, as well as a lab for blood draw. It was nice not having to drive to multiple locations for the different appointments. The doctors all seemed to communicate well with each other and the nursing staff. If you are looking for a clinic with great emotional support, though, this isn't the one for you. The doctor's are all very matter of fact. Also, I felt that they didn't always provide me with all the information about my tests and results. I am the type of person that wants to know all the details, so that was hard for me.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is conviently located next to the lab that takes the sperm samples, as well as a lab for blood draw. It was nice not having to drive to multiple locations for the different appointments. The doctors all seemed to communicate well with each other and the nursing staff. If you are looking for a clinic with great emotional support, though, this isn't the one for you. The doctor's are all very matter of fact. Also, I felt that they didn't always provide me with all the information about my tests and results. I am the type of person that wants to know all the details, so that was hard for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cindy)
The nursing staff was often not very friendly. They seemed good at their jobs, but lacked the compassion I feel is needed in the field of infertility. I felt uncomfortable if I started to get emotional in their office because they just did not provide that emotional support.
How was your experience with Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Friedman was a very nice person. He seemed very invested in what he was doing, but he was on his way out (retiring) when we saw him. I felt like he skipped a lot of tests. The first day we saw him he ordered a blood test to check my thyroid (because I pushed for it) and did a transvaginal ultrasound. I had already had my FSH and LH checked at my PCP's office. From those 2 tests he ordered he suggested we start IUI. After 4 unsuccessful rounds of IUI and a lot of my own research, I feel like there is a lot of testing that should have been done before jumping right to IUI.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Do your own research and ask lots of questions.
Describe the protocols Chad Friedman used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For my first 2 rounds of IUI I was on femara/letrozole and went into the office around CD 12 for a trasvaginal ultrasound. That evening I would be given an HCG shot to trigger ovulation and then go in 36 hours later for the insemination. The third round of IUI Dr. Friedman wanted to do the same course of treatment, even after the first 2 failed. I pushed for more aggressive treatment. That is when he prescribed femara/letrozole as before, but also added a few doses of follistim injectables. I then went in a little earlier for a transvaginal ultrasound, had the HCG injection and the IUI. For our 4th round of IUI we used all follistim injectables. I had 2 transvaginal ultrasounds and then the HCG injection and IUI. Round 4 was also unsuccessful. It was suggested we move to IVF. It has now been almost 4 months since our last round of IUI and we have done a lot of our own research. We are looking into getting a second opinion and more testing before moving to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It cost about $800-1,000 per IUI cycle, depending on which meds we were using.
Columbus
[Ohio Repro Med] Pros - Good success rates. This clinic is associated with a great lab and embryologist. It's clean and private. I liked most of the doctors I met there during scans and procedures. Cons - Gets super busy with women lining up for ultrasounds, which makes you feel like a number...Extremely busy during monitoring appointments. Occasionally there would be nowhere to sit, or my husband and I would have to sit separately...
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
We chose to undergo IVF to screen for a genetic condition. We were told by the genetic counselor at the screening lab to expect that only about 20% of our embryos would be suitable for transfer, or 1 out of 5. Obviously I felt pressured to have a large number of eggs retrieved in order to give us the best possible chance to have a healthy baby. No one at this clinic seemed to remember that we had special circumstances. During both retrievals, I cried because of the smaller-than-expected number of eggs retrieved, and clinic staff, trying to be helpful, told me that it was a perfectly decent number retrieved and that really, they just wanted 1 embryo to transfer. My husband or I always had to remind them that we were testing for a genetic condition and that what was a good number for others was NOT a good number for us. We routinely had to remind them that we were doing a freeze-all cycle due to genetic testing, as staff had tried to order progesterone testing for a fresh transfer. Even after 2 retrievals, they still didn't seem to know who I was.
As I mentioned, even though we did two retrievals pretty much back-to-back, it seemed like the nurses didn't remember the specifics of our case. I always had to remind them that we were NOT doing a fresh transfer, etc. That said, I LOVED Penny. She was awesome.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kennard was okay. She was recommended to me by my genetic counselor as having the best bedside manner. When I had my first appointment, she seemed extremely confident that IVF was the best choice for us. However, I feel as though she didn't adjust my treatment to accommodate the poor odds we were facing. For couples who are testing for a genetic disease, it makes sense to stimulate a little more aggressively, since they likely need at least 8 embryos biopsied and tested to have a good shot at having a healthy baby. Other women doing genetic testing that I have met have told me their doctors attempted an aggressive stim protocol to optimize their chances of success. I will add that Dr. Kennard is extremely short and a little odd. She will answer questions that you have, but will have a hand on the doorknob as she responds, as though she's got somewhere else to be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be put off by her brusque manner. Make sure you write your questions down and ask them.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Kennard used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Agonist protocol with leuprolide, gonal-F, hCG trigger. FET protocol with leuprolide, delestrogen, progesterone-in-oil, prometrium, medrol.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Columbus
The biggest thing they [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] have going for them is name recognition. At the time I started going there, they were really the only clinic anyone knew about in town. I went because my friend went there and my OB/GYN referred me. Their weaknesses?: wait times, protocols, doctors, their lab is OLD and OUTDATED and INEFFECTIVE, their billing department is atrocious, they push everyone into IVF, and their nurses are--with few exception--awful to deal with.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths? None. The biggest thing they have going for them is name recognition. At the time I started going there, they were really the only clinic anyone knew about in town. I went because my friend went there and my OB/GYN referred me. Their weaknesses?: wait times, protocols, doctors, their lab is OLD and OUTDATED and INEFFECTIVE, their billing department is atrocious, they push everyone into IVF, and their nurses are--with few exception--awful to deal with.
Dr. Williams is very nice. He is quirky and funny. I liked him a great deal for years, and recommended him to everyone. But as time wore on, I started feeling more like a number to him. More specifically--a paycheck. He never seemed to really remember who I was. He used the same basic protocol that he uses with everyone. Meetings with him, for which I paid out of pocket, were brief. He would ramble through a canned speech about whatever it is we'd be doing and then quickly usher me out the door to speak to his nurse. I frequently forgot to ask him many of the questions I had because he just rushed me so much.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Dr. Williams' nurse Nancy is rude and condescending. When she called to tell me that my first IVF failed, that my pregnancy test was negative, I expressed disappointment. She said "Well, we aren't miracle workers." And I must admit I agree with her. They are not. However, I wasn't looking for a miracle. I'm a person who has two children already conceived naturally. Another one conceived should not have to be a miracle. If you are someone who even has the slightest issue, I guess Nancy and the team at ORM would consider your potential pregnancy a true miracle not to be expected.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I used to love Dr. Williams. But in the end, even though I have had two children with no fertility enhancing medication (and they are only 2 and 3 years old) he could not get me pregnant. He rushed through all of his explanations, never seemed to know who I was, and frequently I didn't even see him. During my one and only IVF cycle with him, he let me go SEVERAL days without monitoring between my last ultrasound and my egg retrieval. A fact my next RE would be astounded by. I was also told the morning of my egg retrieval that a different doctor at the clinic, one who had not even taken on any of her own patients yet, would be doing my retrieval. The only reason she didn't do it is because I complained about it. The retrieval itself went fine (I think). He recovered 10 eggs which was lower than he had told me would likely be the result at the beginning (he predicted at least 15). The fertilization, which we did with ICSI, was disastrous. ICSI usually has a 80% fertilization rate, only 4 out of my 10 eggs even fertilized. This was so hard to stomach--I had just been pregnant, naturally! (Our issue is male factor--my husband had a vasectomy and subsequent reversal. The reversal lasted long enough to naturally conceive our son but then scarred over again). Anyhow, the embryologist had no answer for why we had such a miserable fertilization rate. Just speaking to her, she seemed highly unintelligent. She couldn't answer any of my questions. She just said "well maybe it will be fine." It wasn't. Two of the embryos never really developed, and we transferred the other two on day 3. Negative. Obviously disappointed, we wanted to try again. I scheduled an appointment with Dr Williams right away. He too had no idea what went wrong. He told me he went to the lab to ask but they didn't take any notes on me... Then he recommended basically the exact same protocol again but with higher doses of drugs this time. We did not ultimately complete a second IVF cycle there and went elsewhere. It is worth noting that I had also done 8 medicated and unmedicated IUIs in the previous year with perfect donor sperm and did not get pregnant that way either.
Don't go to this doctor or this clinic.
I wasn't given a rationale for why he used these particular protocols. He put me on long lupron and gonal-f, just like he does with everyone else.
Ultrasound monitoring here is the worst. 9 million people all waiting and it takes hours.
Typical costs.
Columbus
They [Ohio Repro Med] are partnered with and next door to a sperm bank. If you need donor sperm, this is very helpful and saves a ton on shipping costs...My wife and I are both using this clinic. We started with her, 3 failed IUIs later we are trying with me. Since we come in together and have the same last name, they've confused our charts, or combined them. Sometimes they'll call my wife with my results, sometimes they will call me...
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They are partnered with and next door to a sperm bank. If you need donor sperm, this is very helpful and saves a ton on shipping costs.
The doctor always treats me like a human when I'm in the office. Talking to the nurses is a different story. They specifically ask you to leave your chart number when leaving a voicemail. Once they call back, you're treated like a human again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Williams has 2 nurses on his team. One is much nicer than the other, but I can never remember who's who. With my irregular cycles, I've had a lot of questions for them. The first couple calls, the nurse was very brisk, almost rude, like I was wasting her time. Something changed recently and they are much nicer now and willing to spend a little more time on the phone with me to make sure I understand everything.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
At the initial consultation, he went through his spiel very quickly. We could tell it was the same thing he said to all the new patients. Once we got into specifics, with my medical history, and plans, he slowed down a little, but he was still really brisk. He seems to know his stuff and I appreciate that he's closely connected with the OSU med school and up to date on the latest fertility studies. Our first medicated cycle, at the first ultrasound to check for follicle growth, he told us my follicles weren't growing at the rate they should be and said that cycle wasn't optimal. Rather than continue with the IUI as planned, he let us make the decision to not move forward that cycle. I appreciated that, because it saved us money and the heartache of a negative. Then he modified the medications for the next cycle. We are still waiting to see what happens this time. He's pretty good in the exam room. He's slower and pays more attention than in the initial consultation. He's honest and doesn't try to sugar coat bad news. And he seemed as disappointed as me when my follicles weren't measuring up.
Go in prepared, know your research and your body, have questions ready.
I'm anovulary with PCOS, with very rare natural (unmedicated) cycles. First try: Provera to induce a period, then 50mg Clomid cycle days 3-7 for the cycle that didn't produce growing follicles. We didn't proceed with the IUI Second try: Provera, prescribed 100mg Clomid cycle days 3-7 and trigger shot, still waiting to see what will happen this time around
Initial consultation: $200, no insurance coverage Blood tests: $268, discounted by insurance down to $50 Sperm: $675 (was $515), no insurance coverage Ultrasound: $381, discounted by insurance down to $200 IUI: $230, no insurance coverage Trigger shot: $80, no insurance coverage Clomid: $20, discounted by insurance Provera: completely covered by insurance
Columbus
I feel like as a patient you feel like just another number at ORM [Ohio Reproductive Medicine]. They see way too many patients and it feels every patient has the same protocol. They are just moving you through the system and process like everyone else. God forbid you ask questions or request certain care instructions. They don't tailor protocols to individual patients, one size fits all there. The IVF dept is understaffed and many of my protocol calendars and portal updates often had mistakes and didn't come in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
You can feel a little lost as a patient, you feel much like just a number in a large system. You just get pushed through, and when you ask questions you can be left feeling like you were a pest. Each time you are there, there are so many women in the waiting room and they seem very understaffed and overwhelmed. Sometimes your patient portal gets updated with the appropriate info and lab results, sometimes it doesn't.
I feel like as a patient you feel like just another number at ORM. They see way too many patients and it feels every patient has the same protocol. They are just moving you through the system and process like everyone else. God forbid you ask questions or request certain care instructions. They don't tailor protocols to individual patients, one size fits all there. The IVF dept is understaffed and many of my protocol calendars and portal updates often had mistakes and didn't come in a timely manner.
I really enjoyed Dr. Schmidt's nurses. They were also very helpful and compassionate. Penny and LaQueena were also very nice and helpful as the IVF nurses, although they seem overloaded and understaffed for the IVF dept.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I really enjoyed and trusted Dr. Schmidt throughout our 8 cycles of treatment. I had no reason to believe I wasn't receiving the best care. Towards the end of my treatment at ORM is when I started to suspect many things had gone wrong. Through talking to other women and finally seeking a second opinion, I realized we were highly mistreated. I feel extremely let down and I feel like I have a clearer picture now of how ORM operates. I will start with the positive. Dr. Schmidt has a wonderful bedside manner. So compassionate and easy to talk to. I always left feeling positive after meeting with him. He never made me feel like I could lose this battle to infertility, always very hopeful. I preferred Dr. Schmidt over the other 4 doctors there, he seemed to be more personable and positive than others. Now with the negative and honestly the most important factors. I was diagnosed at 18 with PCOS by my OBGYN. I have many of the classic symptoms. High testosterone, and no period unless medicated. From my first appt with Schmidt he laughed and said "Oh no, you do not have PCOS." From that appt forward I was never treated as a poly patient. The next 6 cycles, in my eyes, I was treated appropriately. 2 cycles of Femara plus trigger, and 4 stim shots cycles paired with IUI's. I ovulated each month with strong leading follicles, but did not produce a pregnancy. No concerns with Dr. Schmidt's care. Then we made the decision to move forward with IVF. I was instructed to do the Long Lupron protocol as most patients at ORM I've found. As a true polycisitc patient I overstimulated bad. By day 10 of stims my E2 was about 5000 and I had over 35 follicles. I went from a Wednesday US and blood draw monitoring until Monday. That is where I had a huge jump. I should have been seen that Thurs, Fri, or Sat. I should have been monitored closer. Egg retrieval was extremely painful for me. I retrieved 34 eggs and the pain was unbearable. I then developed OHSS and my fresh transfer was cancelled. Of course it was, I was very sick and was overstimulated. However, I was still overjoyed with the amount of eggs I had and we ultimately had 13 day 5 and 6 embryos that made it to freeze. This was a remarkable number and I knew with 13 embryos we would never have to go through a stim cycle or retrieval again, my heart was beyond hopeful. Skip to my first FET. Schmidt and the embryologist come into the room and say we have 2 great looking embryos to transfer today but 3 also didn't survive the thaw so you went through 5 today. I was stunned. Wasn't expecting that news but still pleased that we transferred 2. Never again did I hear why 3 didn't survive the thaw. Schmidt nor the lab ever addressed it or gave a reason. They just mentioned this rarely happens. So now we have 8 embryos left. Still content and hopeful with that number. Skip to my next FET. That morning the embryologist calls and tells me none of my embryos are surviving the thaw, even mentions to not even head into the office. You can imagine my heartbreak. Finally I get a call, that they were able to save the very last two that were "viable." I didn't know what this meant but was relieved to get this news and we were off. In my gut, as much as I didn't want to accept this news I knew we had slim to no chance of getting pregnant. I knew those last 2 embryos that they transferred something was seriously off or wrong with them. So on that day we started with 8 and now had zero. I did not get pregnant. We were back to step zero. Within 5 months, 13 grade 1 5 day blasts, gone. At this point, my sadness turned to anger. What went wrong? How did this happen? Human error? Was there an error with the freezing or thawing? Was it the quality of my eggs or embryos? My mind was purely racing every day. Our next step was to schedule our follow-up failed consultation. I demanded someone to be present from the lab with Schmidt. I needed all my questions answered. I needed reasons and what we would change moving forward. I was beyond anxious for this appt. We go, I have all my questions typed out, they answer nothing. They have no idea why my embryos didn't survive. They couldn't answer any of my questions. Simply just "try again." That was it. I find this unacceptable. That was my last day at ORM. I have since switched to another doctor and clinic in Columbus and in my short time there I have renewed hope and my suspicions of how I was mistreated and how my embryos were mishandled were instantly gratified. It's been painfully difficult to look back on and accept my journey at ORM. I know there is no guarantee with this world of infertility but as a patient I was left feeling like a number not a cared for patient. I even followed up with a letter to Schmidt and the lab director requesting a few specifics before plunging into another new cycle after all that was lost, and didn't even get a response. That was the icing on the cake. That sealed the deal that I was at the wrong clinic. It's still a very raw, fresh topic for me. I think it will be for a while, but glad we are moving forward with a new doctor. For the 2 years I went to ORM, I recommended Schmidt to everyone and gave him nothing but praise. I no longer will do so.
Push for a tailored protocol at ORM, I feel like if you are remotely outside of the box with your medical case you are SOL. They don't seem to be adapting to the ever-evolving science of infertility. Do your own research, trust your gut, and always be your own biggest advocate. Push.
I feel strongly that ORM really uses the standard protocols on most patients. Especially per doc/per patient. 1. 2 Femara/Trigger shots- ovulated strong. No pregnancy 2. 4 stim cycles/IUI- 75-125units per day of Gonal-F plus trigger. Husband sperm samples very strong and high numbers each cycle. Between 3-10 large size follicles each cycle. No pregnancy 3. IVF- 225 units per day of Gonal-F, 5,000 units of HCG trigger. I overstimulated. 10 days of stims. E2 reached 5,000 I had 35 follicles. 34 eggs retrieved. OHSS. 5 day blasts- 13 embryos make it to freeze 4. FET #1- 2 embryos transferred- 3 die in thaw. Prepped with BC, Lupron, Estradiol shots, PIO shots, antibiotic, steroid. No pregnancy 5. FET # 2- 2 embryos transferred- 6 die in thaw. Prepped with BC, Lupron, Estradiol shots, PIO shots, antibiotic, steroid. No pregnancy
Way too many patients for the early-morning monitoring appts. Seems they are understaffed.
Ultrasounds $300 IUI- $343 Consultation- $300 IVF- $6600 Without meds FET- $2900 Without meds
Anovulation, Male Factor
Dr. Friedman [of Ohio Reproductive Medicine] is always very warm and caring and his assistant Gina is always very helpful. The only problem I had was when I have questions regarding my care, I've called in when Gina was not in and talked to a nurse and they are always so rude. They act like I'm a burden or treat me like I'm stupid. Infertility treatments are scary and asking questions about treatment should be welcomed....The front desk staff is also confused about whether you need billed or not and they also told me the wrong price once. The techs that take you to your room are so unfriendly. They need to smile!! It's not like you want to be there either....
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Friedman is always very warm and caring and his assistant Gina is always very helpful. The only problem I had was when I have questions regarding my care, I've called in when Gina was not in and talked to a nurse and they are always so rude. They act like I'm a burden or treat me like I'm stupid. Infertility treatments are scary and asking questions about treatment should be welcomed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Gina )
Gina is very helpful and gets straight to the point. She can be blunt but she also is very caring. Over the phone she sounds unfriendly but I think that's just the way it comes across. In person you can see her smile and facial expressions and see that she doesn't mean to be that way.
How was your experience with Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Friedman is very kind and very compassionate. He has humor to help with your nerves and he explains things very well. I really love him as my doctor. I wish he could have been at each appointment but I understand that it's not always possible.
Ignore the rude nurses because add. Friedman and Gina are very nice and super helpful.
We used Clomid for ovulation with an HCG trigger shot. My husband is on a prescription med to reduce estrogen in his body and he also does three injections of HCG a week for sperm count. We have had one IUI so far and it failed.
My Clomid is 8 dollars with insurance, trigger shot is $126 with insurance, first follicle scan was $345, second follicle scan was $284, IUI was $373, and we pay $126 a month for my husbands injections.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Sally [nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] told us about and applied for a grant on our behalf which went through so we did not have to pay as much in the end...Sally was very knowledgeable about the process...The office is very clean and receptionists are pleasant. They were usually on time during appointments. We did have to wait for an hour during our first visit because the computers were down. I think it was a fluke because every other time (about 20 visits) I went right back.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I became pregnant right away but my blood tests showed that it was not a viable pregnancy. She called me when the numbers did not look good. We kept testing and went in for ultrasounds to see if the baby was growing, it was not. She told my husband and I face to face and gave me her cell phone number. Up until that point we had mostly dealt with her nurse (whom we loved). After the miscarriage she would call to check in but never pressured us to start treatment again.
Sally was very knowledgeable about the process. During our first round with the trigger shots, I had a different nurse because Sally was on vacation. I was pretty clueless and the nurse gave me vague directions. The next month we had Sally again and she was very precise. She told me exactly what time to give myself the shot, showed me where and how to do it, and told me exactly when to have sex. We ended up pregnant after that cycle. I would also like to say that on our first meeting, Sally told us about and applied for a grant on our behalf which went through so we did not have to pay as much in the end.
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Londra was very candid throughout our treatment. She was often humorous which I appreciated. I learned a lot about my body and about pregnancy and fertility in general. She always explained what she was seeing and made sure that I also understood.
Ask questions. She will make time to answer all of them.
I don’t remember the exact names of my treatments. I remember I had an X-ray of my uterus first. I went on a drug that was for breast cancer but a side effect was that it made follicles grow and eggs mature. I took those pills for 4-5 days during my cycle and then would come in for anultrasound where my follicles would be measured. I would give myself a trigger shot when they looked good and then have sex and hope for the best.
Columbus
The doctors at ORM are older and therefore I don't think they are as up to date on technologies and most resent studies. Their payment system is strange. They guess what your insurance will make you pay and then charge you. In many times they over charged me for services and hardly ever were their credits for any of that. For my laparoscopy, they were trying to get me to pay something like $700 when my insurance was covering 100% of the costs. I had to force them to run it through insurance first. However, I will say ORM is a well oiled machine. They get you in and out of there quickly and all of the appointments are pretty much on time and ready for you when you get there. Labs and Speciality pharmacy are all in the same complex so it makes it very easy for all of those things which is nice.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I felt that Dr. Williams gave me the same speech that he does to all of his patients. I also feel like my treatments were not specialized to my condition and it was the same treatment he gives everyone regardless of your diagnosis. Additionally, I do not think he was financially consciousness of treatments. We went through what ended up being 9 medicated cycles all being out of pocket expenses for us. His spiel in the beginning makes you think he is thinking about costs first but in reality we spent double what we should have before moving to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy or McKenzie )
Nancy and McKenzie were great. They were timely in returning calls and always answered my questions and helped when needed.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams is a very nice guy. He was always very friendly and always tried to break any bad news in the best way he could. That was a good thing and a bad thing a times. Both my husband and I felt like he spoke very fast and we never had enough time during our visits to internalize what he had just said and ask the appropriate questions. As I mentioned before, I also don't think that he took my diagnosis into consideration. I feel that I was given the same treatment as someone with PCOS when I am dealing with DOR. These are two completely different conditions! I felt like i was just another patient to him. Even our friends who had dealt with Dr. Williams in the past could give us a run down of exactly what he would do or say and that would be exactly what happened. I didn't feel that he was up to date on any studies or new technologies out there.
Be prepared for a drawing of your uterus and ovaries on your first consultation. Make sure that you ask a lot of questions and you make him take his time and slow down. Also, don't be afraid to question his timeline of treatment. His timeline will take about a year to get to IVF.
Treatment 1- 3 cycles of clomid and timed intercourse, reason was that this is a low cost 'easy' way to get pregnant. Resulted in 0 pregnancies Treatment 2- 2 cycles of clomid and IUI- reason was low cost and less invasive way to to get pregnant. Resulted in 1 pregnancy- ended in miscarriage. Treatment 3- repeat 2 cycles of clomid and IUI- reason was because I got pregnant off it the last time. Resulted in 0 pregnancies. Treatment 4- 150 Gonal-f and IUI- reason still not as expensive as IVF and chance of multiples. Resulted in 0 pregnancies Treatment 5- 225 Gonal-f and IUI- reason still not as expensive as IVF and chance of multiples. Resulted in 0 pregnancies. Treatment 6- laparoscopy to see if there was endo. Reason- this could be why other treatments did not work. Found no endo or scar tissue.
About $15,000 Each IUI was about $2400 Medications $5000 Bloodwork around- $5000 Consultations/Ultra Sounds- $2600
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Williams is an incredibly friendly and intelligent doctor. He always listened to all of my questions and gave very academic and straightforward answers, which I appreciated. I felt more like a number in that the clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] itself feels more like a factory than a clinic. I only had Dr. Williams for a few number of procedures and actual clinical appointments. I trust Dr. Williams, but have had different experiences with other doctors there.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is like a well-oiled machine. This can give you confidence that they know what they do very well. The Patient Portal is a great tool that ORM offers, and helps you feel like you are part of the process. But keep in mind, that each doctor has a different set of skills. It is difficult when you find a doctor you like for consults, but then all of your procedures are with different doctors who don't know you at all. If you fall outside of what is 'the norm' - and you don't fit the mold that well / the typical approaches they take - be prepared to feel like your care is not personalized. I felt a bit like this clinic is a factory farm by the end, where I was a number to the clinic, and regardless of my body, my response, my issues, they would just click 'repeat' for another cycle.
Dr. Williams is an incredibly friendly and intelligent doctor. He always listened to all of my questions and gave very academic and straightforward answers, which I appreciated. I felt more like a number in that the clinic itself feels more like a factory than a clinic. I only had Dr. Williams for a few number of procedures and actual clinical appointments. I trust Dr. Williams, but have had different experiences with other doctors there.
Dr. Williams nursing staff is incredibly good. I had some issues early on with shortness and rudeness, however, Dr. Williams quickly rectified the issue after we told him about how bad it was getting. Since that, we had great experiences with both of Dr. William's nurses. The only downside is compassion can be limited, but they are very knowledgeable and quickly respond. The IVF nurses are more compassionate, but I was given false information several times and mistakes on my protocols. It seems like they are overworked? As people, they are very kind.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr William has such a rich history of experience and can pull from that knowledge to help clearly explain expectations and support decisions. He backs up everything he says with Guidelines and studies. Given that fertility is not an exact science, I would have preferred that we explored more options than he did with my situation since I did not 'fit' the normal prototype based on my responses. So, I chose to go to a different clinic to explore other options and protocols.
Dr Williams is realistic and very straightforward with the facts based on a typical patient. Be prepared to ask questions on why those things are right specifically for you and what can go wrong.
We had many blood tests and treatments with Dr. Williams, which helped us to better understand our situation. We started with Clomid, then Femara (letrozole), then IUIs. During this time ,we had at least 1 CP (1-2 not confirmed by blood tests). We did a Luteal Lupron protocol for 2 IVFs next. For IVF 1 I started with 225 units of Follistim / day, but then that was increased to 300 units. My E2 levels and ultrasound indicated that I should have at least 5 eggs retrieved. After a very painful retrieval, only 1 was retrieved. I was given no explanation when it happened, and was left devastated. The doctor who did it (not Dr. Williams) said "it wasn't my fault" and left me there. So, needless to say I asked for Dr. Williams for all of my procedures in IVF 2, and he agreed that was the right choice. He increased my Follistim to 375 units per day with the same protocol otherwise. Because I had to wait to get on his schedule, I was on birth control for an extra length of time, which I'm now told is not good for someone who is a poor responder. But, I did not have another choice if I wanted Dr. Williams. For IVF 2 retrieval, Dr. Williams was able to get 9 mature eggs, all of which fertilized. We needed to do a Day 3 transfer, though, since most were not dividing well Day 2/3. We only had 2, 8-cell embryos on Day 3, which were highly fragmented. No pregnancy resulted from this transfer.
We were fortunate to have 2 insurances cover most of the procedures during our time at ORM. I believe for the IVFs, each was a little under 2,000 out of pocket for everything.
2010 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The entire staff at ORM genuinely cared about not only the well-being of my cycles, but myself personally. The nurses cried when I cried, laughed when I laughed.. I really felt like they cared about the success of our treatment. We were also never pressured into any decisions and we were given direct, factual information without persuasion from the staff as to which option we should choose. Financially we were always given multiple options and never pressured about those choices.
2010 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Nancy is hands down the best nurse we ever could have asked for. She is so very caring and compassionate and so knowledgeable about the processes. She spends ample time with each patient before, during, and after each appointment as well as answering endless phone calls and emails without any frustration. I called her quite a bit about concerns and she answered each one in a timely manner and went above and beyond to make sure that we were okay each cycle. Each cycle we knew exactly what to expect, we received a calendar from her that laid everything out step by step and they made sure that we could obtain medications financially and in a timely manner. She always had everything ready to go when we entered her office so the entire time spent with her was about us, answering questions, scheduling future appointments and anything else that was needed, even if it was just a hug and a simple "it will all be okay." She really made our experiences above and beyond anywhere else.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Williams is very informative and is willing to spend as much time as needed explaining details, even drawing pictures to illustrate information given to patients. His demeanor is very warm and friendly, yet he is direct and to the point when it comes to potential risks and outcomes. Bedside manner is excellent, even after surgery he made to sure check on me and my husband both to ensure that we understood what had been done and to make sure all was well for me physically and mentally.
Bring questions that you have and come with an open mind as he has so many options to help.
We began with clomid pills and timed intercourse then moved on to clomid pills and monitoring of follicles. After we had no success with that we tried increasing the clomid dosage and then finally a trigger shot to encourage ovulation. We then tried 3 rounds of IUIs, paired with clomid and a trigger shot. After this we did an HSG and discovered a tubal blockage and moved to surgery to repair the tube if possible, remove if not. After repairing the tube we tried a few more IUIs and then moved to IVF as I could not handle any more IUIs because I felt that the tube was compromising our success. We did a round of IVF which resulted in a 3 day fresh transfer of 2 decently graded embryos (our other embryos did not survive to freeze) which resulted in our son. We then did another IVF 18 months later with a similar protocol, just added more stim medications to try to get embryos to freeze but ended up with the same, 2 embryos transferred on day 3 which resulted in another singleton son. I do have to also mention that a few years later we were surprised with a baby girl thanks to Dr Williams doing the surgery to repair my only tube, that I didn't think worked, apparently did. :)
$5000-$6000ish down for each IVF cycle, then paid for medications through specialty pharmacy which cost anywhere from $3000-$8000. Our IUIs cost $350 at the clinic and then we paid for clomid/trigger shot etc through the speciality pharmacies. Clomid was paid for by our insurance so I do not know price for that.
Dr Williams gave factual information that helped us make the choice of one or two but ultimately left the choice up to us. We chose 2 each time because we would have welcomed a multiple birth and I was healthy and could have sustained a twin pregnancy without foreseeable problems.
Columbus
The best part of ORM, for me, was the nurse. She always called me back promptly, showed compassion, answered every question I had, never made me feel rushed. She seemed to remember me and my situation from visit to visit...Overall, I made the decision to leave the Ohio Red Med practice because I wanted a different protocol and Dr. Kennard's recommendation was to increase the meds on the same protocol I had been on previously. It has less to do with her manner and more to do with my treatment. During my follow up appointment after my failed IVF cycle, she was typing on her computer most of the time and the conversation was relatively quick, so that didn't feel great. But overall the decision was one regarding the treatment I felt made the most sense.
I only actually talked with Dr. Kennard a few times. First time was at the initial consultation. Her style was blunt but she listened and asked a lot of questions. She didn't actually do any of my monitoring appointments and she didn't do my egg retrieval. She did call me to tell me none of my eggs fertilized and allowed me to call her back when I was too upset to continue the conversation. The last time I talked with her was at my follow up appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Sal)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I'd give this advice to any infertility patient...Demand the drs time. Most doctors I have met with have made me feel rushed. Be prepared with your questions, and don't leave until you have your answers. Dr Kennard's style can be brisk, so don't let that shut down your questions.
We were on the long Lupron protocol. Suppression with birth control pills, then Lupron, then Gonal F... Triggered with HcG. Ended up responding poorly. I produced 5 eggs (after seeing far more follicles during the ultrasounds) and only 1 was mature. That mature egg didn't fertilize.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I don't recall what was covered by insurance and what was OOP
2007 - 2014
I liked that the clinic [OH Reproductive Med] was open almost every day and that doctors rotated. Our successful IUI was fine on New Year's Day. The office staff did not always have the best support and the billing staff did not always bill correctly.... Nancy was our nurse the entire time and Mackenzie was also with us the second time around. They were both so kind and amazing. Nancy often hugged me when I'm cried and gave us resources and supports.
2007 - 2014
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I liked that the clinic was open almost every day and that doctors rotated. Our successful IUI was fine on New Year's Day. The office staff did not always have the best support and the billing staff did not always bill correctly.
He was so kind and compassionate and focused on the positives. He met with us after failed attempts to reevaluate next steps. He even gave us information on employers that covered infertility treatments
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy & Mackenzie)
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams was compassionate and really cared about us. He gave us his undivided attention and made sure he did every part of our last successful cycle from egg retrieval to embryo transfer. Tyne only negative feedback is that we sometimes had to wait in the waiting room for a long time.
Trust him and follow his advice.
When we first started, he ran a lot of tests to rule out medical issues. We started with Clomid, then Clomid with insemination, then moved into injections with IUI, which resulted in a successful pregnancy. The second time around, we started with injections and IUI, then moved onto the first egg retrieval/ embryo transfer using ICSI. We transferred 2 embryos, but it was unsuccessful and had no embryos to freeze. The second cycle, he slowed the retrieval process so they could mature and he did the embryo transfer himself. We transferred 2 embryos such resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy and have 4 frozen embryos
He advised us during each transfer. He gave us the option, but did not feel comfortable transferring more than 3 embryos
2013
*child mentioned* So most importantly, Dr. Schmidt got me pregnant....I saw Dr. Schmidt for an initial consultation [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] and after a few failed cycles when we got a new diagnosis. During actual treatment cycles I saw whoever was available. 3 of the other doctors actually did my IUI and IVF. But it was Dr. Schmidt's protocol. I had some issues with the nurses and a missed diagnosis and Dr. Schmidt was very responsive to my concerns. They gave me a sedative but did not use anesthesia during my IVF retrieval and I found it very painful, which I was not expecting.
2013
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They have the best success rates in the area.
I liked Dr. Schmidt, but the nurses weren't very friendly. I also felt like they did the same protocols for everyone. He had a plan for beginning treatment before getting the results of our testing, like he was going to do the same thing regardless of our diagnosis. I go by a nickname and told them that several times. They still called me by my full name every time I went in or they called, which was like every day to every other day during my IVF cycle. It's small, but it bothered me that they couldn't bother to learn my name.
There was 1 nurse I loved, but the other 2 were not very nice. One told me to "relax" and didn't pass my medical concerns on to Dr. Schmidt.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
*child mentioned* So most importantly, Dr. Schmidt got me pregnant. He and Ohio Reproductive Medicine have the highest success rates in the area. I had my child thanks to them. I saw Dr. Schmidt for an initial consultation and after a few failed cycles when we got a new diagnosis. During actual treatment cycles I saw whoever was available. 3 of the other doctors actually did my IUI and IVF. But it was Dr. Schmidt's protocol. I had some issues with the nurses and a missed diagnosis and Dr. Schmidt was very responsive to my concerns. They gave me a sedative but did not use anesthesia during my IVF retrieval and I found it very painful, which I was not expecting.
Make sure you research what initial testing and monitoring should occur before beginning treatment.
IVF with ICSI was about $9,000. IUI was maybe $500? They were much cheaper than Reproductive Gynecology in Westerville.
2009 - 2012
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
...I hope they [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] upgraded a little bit of their paper work to something more computer based. The doctor's personalities vary quite a bit, as did some of their technique. It would be interested to look at success rates by doctor. They had limited donor experience (don't know if that has grown). Their billing and release forms were more simple vs other clinics that had nitty gritty every dime outlined and pages of legal forms to sign. They kept it simple (for better and for worse).
2009 - 2012
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It's a little cozy and not the high tech new clinic. It has a lab attached as well as a lab corp in the suite so everything is right there, but it is not enclosed in a building. I hope they upgraded a little bit of their paper work to something more computer based. The doctor's personalities vary quite a bit, as did some of their technique. It would be interested to look at success rates by doctor. They had limited donor experience (don't know if that has grown). Their billing and release forms were more simple vs other clinics that had nitty gritty every dime outlined and pages of legal forms to sign. They kept it simple (for better and for worse).
Dr. Kennard was very straight forward and answered the gazillion questions we asked. She gave us warnings about how things get technical so prepared us for some of the impersonal nature that we may experience while trying to stay human. She responded to our needs to be serious and to be funny. She got to know us (it was years) and seemed to follow our logic as we progressed. She cried when we had losses and when we got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It was still done on paper, but everyone was organized and straight forward. They answered questions, took my calls and responded quickly, and were always compassionate. We asked everything from technical (how to do something, what is this) to personal experiences (what do others do, how to people respond) and they answered everything kindly.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
She is very professional and some may not see her as a warm fuzzy. As patients who were comfortable in a medical environment and advocating for ourselves, we appreciated her candor. I can imagine others who are looking for someone who focuses more on the personal, she may seem a little scientific. She is. But my husband and I cover the spectrum of needing compassion and needing hard data and numbers. She does both. She accommodated some of our requests to try differently as long as she felt it did not compromise what she felt was good medicine. We actually moved on to another doctor, but had supervision by her and she was very gracious about it. She was open about saying her goal was for us to have a baby and whatever we felt was best she was okay with it.
Know that she cares deeply AND is a medical professional with a goal to get patients a baby. Patients may be focused on keeping themselves sane and she gets it, but her way to help is to focus on what is the next step in trying to increase chances of success. She will let patients keep trying even with small odds - which some appreciate and some will not. People who appreciate dry humor and steady will like her best.
Since I got pregnant twice, there was not too much tweaking to the protocol once we got to IVF. We moved quickly from meds to IUI to IVF based on research that said in the long run, the costs of many IUIs didn't indicate continuing without success. At one point, We decided to do another IVF before transferring frozen, which was the first time someone had done that, but we were looking at long term outcomes with siblings and impending loss of insurance. She tried a protocol (different drugs) that another clinic had used on us that produced extremely large numbers of eggs, but it did not work when she tried it. She noted that her lab didn't like it, but she was willing to try since I had responded. She ultimately was frustrated along with us that I could get pregnant but not sustain a pregnancy. Moving to genetic testing was our reason to seek another lab/doctor.
I have the cost sheet still. They made it simple (but this was 6 years ago). They knew they were lower cost and they seemed to prefer it that way. They gave us the whole cost sheet and it was updated once a year. Simple. IVF-ICSI - $8483, FET 1861 IVF-DE $15,278 (we didnt' use that, but I'm pulling it from the sheet I have). They gave a breakdown of those costs as well as an additional sheet with the lab costs (storage, PGD, hatching, sperm processing).
Describe Elizabeth Kennard's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Since I was in my late 30s early 40s and the embryo's didn't have good grades, she tranferred several. Her logic was correct in that we only ever had single pregnancies. I know she felt strongly about eSET for younger and donor cycles, which we appreciated.
2012
The clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] was great...I think between all of the pre-tests (HSG, sperm motility, etc), ultrasounds, blood work, the drugs (Femara and Follistim), and the IUI it was about $5000 but my insurance also wasn't great at the time...The nurses were wonderful. I called them often and they were always responsive, especially during my overstimulation...I found Dr. Schmidt very personable and had a good sense of humor. He said early on that his goal was to take the burden of trying to conceive off of my husband and I and it really did feel like a weight was lifted.
2012
The clinic was great.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Both my husband and I enjoyed our experiences with Dr. Schmidt and I have recommended him to many friends. He was warm and friendly. My diagnosis was unexplained fertility and I am still convinced that I had a hormonal issue (even though it never showed up on tests). He didn't seem to think this was the case, but did allow me the option to try hormone supplements (which I ended up declining due to their ability to give false positives for tests).
If you do your own research prior to visits be sure to bring the articles with you, as well as a list of questions. He was always willing to answer everything I asked.
I started with 2 rounds of Femara (I had done 3 rounds with Clomid with my regular OBGYN) each with an HCG trigger shot. Both had a negative pregnancy test. Next I did a 5 day course of Follistim (3 days of 75 and 2 days of 150) with a trigger shot followed by an IUI. This one was successful (I also produced 13 follicles and overstimulated, which the nurse said may have helped me maintain the pregnancy). I never had issues with ovulation, I always had at least 1 good follicle after each treatment which is probably why I overstimulated with such a low/short trial with the Follistim.
2011 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Her [Dr. Kennard's] nurses are also an amazing asset. I have never had that sort of responsiveness from a doctor's office. Very willing to explain and answer questions to ensure the best outcome. And very compassionate as well when I miscarried.
2011 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Two of my IUIs were performed by other doctors at the clinic. They were similarly knowledgeable, compassionate and thorough. I had no issues with scheduling or accounting/billing departments. They went out of their way to explain charges to us in advance as well as the pieces that might be covered by insurance. They filed everything for us.
She was incredibly compassionate and flexible. I thought she would give me doses of reality but she gave me meaningful information and genuine (not false or overblown) hope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Sally and one other but I forget)
Her nurses are also an amazing asset. I have never had that sort of responsiveness from a doctor's office. Very willing to explain and answer questions to ensure the best outcome. And very compassionate as well when I miscarried.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
She was very knowledgeable but sensitive to the emotions involved in trying to conceive. I honestly believe without her compassion and evidence based encouragement I would have given up and would not have become a mother in my forties.
Ask questions to understand your treatment. This is a practice that won't insult your intelligence. Know that this is usually a hard journey. Keep in mind that miscarriage is often part of trying to conceive journeys so there could be some heartbreak along the way. You aren't alone.
While I was much older, my doctor felt we shouldn't assume we knew too much about my fertility status so we started with a protocol that is often skipped for women my age. We used lowest dose Clomid (50 mg), a trigger shot and ovulation monitoring as well as IUI. I was told the chances of pregnancy were typically 10 to 20 percent in a woman in her twenties but less than 5 at my age. But I got pregnant at each treatment cycle. My doctor's instincts were right. A more aggressive medical protocol might have resulted in cancelled cycles or multiples.
I don't recall them all. There were a number of diagnostic tests and pregnancy monitoring. Treatment wise there were medicines for me (thyroid and Clomid and progesterone). The costs for semen collection, analysis and storage were not covered in any way. We were informed about those costs I detail.
Columbus
The clinic [Ohio Repro Med] is conscious of costs. The nurses were kind but we saw many and were often confused on what we were to do. The shot training was very helpful.... Ivf with icsi was just under $12k not including meds. We paid extra for pgs testing.... We had on blood test for my husband that was ordered incorrectly but the staff corrected the mistake with no issue and at no cost to us. They made it right.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Kennard is wonderfully competent and communicates effectively with no frills. She adjusted protocols to meet our needs and dug into our data to find answers for us when we had all abnormal embryos. The clinic is conscious of costs. The nurses were kind but we saw many and were often confused on what we were to do. The shot training was very helpful.
I felt my Dr listened to my concerns about hormone treatments and customized treatment protocols for me.
They were helpful and compassionate but we were often confused about protocol and activities during office visits. It seems like they expected patients to be experts in their appointments.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
She communicates factual and with a dry intellectual humor. During a miscarriage, it was less than a warm bedside manner but during treatments, we appreciated the facts and candor. She would also call to answer questions and was very sensitive to cost concerns.
Be prepared and do your research so you can use you time effectively with the dr.
We selected Femara instead of clomid due to hormonal concerns of moodiness. We used a standard ivf protocol with icsi and pgs. We opted for natural cycles with no birth control.
This practice focuses on infant health and promotes one embryo transfer at a time. They provided objective evidence for this practice which made sense to us.
Columbus
The overall ambiance is positive. At times the waiting room [Ohio Repro Med] is crowded and the receptionist can be moody, but nothing that would turn me away from coming back. They are great to answer calls and send the requested information...There was a miscommunication on balance on the account. I was told I was paid up, and a week later was hit with a $500 statement balance...Nancy & Makenzie are extremely wonderful nurses
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The overall ambiance is positive. At times the waiting room is crowded and the receptionist can be moody, but nothing that would turn me away from coming back. They are great to answer calls and send the requested information.
Dr Williams knows his patients very well. He is able to call you by name in passing, not just from looking at a chart. He is very down to earth
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy & Makenzie)
Nancy & Makenzie are extremely wonderful nurses if Dr Steve. They are very quick to return phone calls, very helpful, and can answer many questions without having to ask the Dr every little detail.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
I have enjoyed every visit with Dr. Williams. He explains things very clearly and draws pictures for explanation. He tells you answers before you can even ask the question, and offers multiple options including all pros and cons associated.
Best Doctor I’ve ever seen!
I have done 6 IUIs under Dr Williams. The first 5 were with donor sperm, and no medications. The 6th was done with donor sperm, Clomidand a trigger shot. I have had an HSG, multiple rounds of blood work (FSH, TSH, progesterone, AMH) ultrasounds, and everything has come back within normal values. I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, with no family history of infertility. Due to the cost of an IVF, I am planning a 7th IUI with gonadotrophins, multiple ultrasounds and estradiol checks.
The donor sperm from the lab next door is $675 each purchase. His lab fee & procedure fees each IUI are $275
This has been brought up and he is only willing to do a single
Endometriosis, Unexplained
They were great, very organized. I think HIPAA is an issue though.... Communication is a strength, timeliness in the waiting room, getting back to you and they [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] book pretty far out are all weaknesses. I did like that we were able to call with any questions we had without asking to come into the office every time. They were very good about communicating over the phone.... Very excessive, a semen analysis was well over $1,000 whereas it was covered 100% through our gynecologist.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Communication is a strength, timeliness in the waiting room, getting back to you and they book pretty far out are all weaknesses. I did like that we were able to call with any questions we had without asking to come into the office every time. They were very good about communicating over the phone.
She was very thorough and explained everything every step of the way.
They were great, very organized. I think HIPAA is an issue though.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
She’s very thorough, her bedside manner isn’t the best and she has a dry sense of humor. She did make us understand everything, my husband has a medical background and he felt she talked to us like we were a little bit dumb.
She takes a while to get an appointment with, the clinic is incredibly expensive and they do not help with payment whatsoever. We chose to have as much testing done with our gynecologist as we could because it was covered under insurance.
She wanted to do a semen analysis for my husband, several blood tests, laparoscopy and HCG. From there she wanted to do timed inter-course with clomid and a trigger.
Very excessive, a semen analysis was well over $1,000 whereas it was covered 100% through our gynecologist. The procedures they wanted to do there were thousands of dollars and we were able to get a lot of them covered through my gynecologist and the results sent to Dr. Kennard.
No comments
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Sometimes the staff [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] in the front lobby weren't super polite. The clinic itself is located right next the the lab and a blood place, so very convenient for me to manage...the nurse I worked with most was Mackenzie and she is awesome. I always received prompt phone calls back and she's very calm and informative and took all the time I needed to answer questions...Someone didn't call me with a progesterone level result
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Sometimes the staff in the front lobby weren't super polite. The clinic itself is located right next the the lab and a blood place, so very convenient for me to manage.
Dr Williams was always kind and hopeful. He remembered the details of my case when he saw me and he never pressured me to pursue or not pursue any specific treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and Mackenzie )
The nurse I worked with most was Mackenzie and she is awesome. I always received prompt phone calls back and she's very calm and informative and took all the time I needed to answer questions.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Overall, I liked Dr Williams. He remained optimistic yet gave me a realistic idea of whether specific treatments could work. He is kind and compassionate and on-time. So far, I've only pursued IUI with him, so I can't comment on IVF with this particular doctor.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he knows if you want to be more aggressive with treatments, etc.
My protocols were only for IUI. I started with 50mg Clomid while trying naturally. Then after one cycle, I decided I wanted to move to IUI with Clomid, which he agreed to. A few cycles I didn't ovulate, or my husband had low sperm counts.
IUI was $373. Monitoring was about $40 after insurance. Procedures seemed to be well priced in comparison to what I've heard from other clinics
Did not pursue IVF so cannot comment.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Strengths abound [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine]! The pharmacy, cryo lab and blood labs are in the same row of buildings so everything is convenient. For a new patient the layout is a maze, but the staff are always helpful to point you in the right direction. A few times the billing was confusing...Sally [nurse] always had all the ducks in a row, which I appreciated. Any questions I forgot to ask the doctor, she either knew the answer or found out for me. She was always quick to return phone calls.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths abound! The pharmacy, cryo lab and blood labs are in the same row of buildings so everything is convenient. For a new patient the layout is a maze, but the staff are always helpful to point you in the right direction. A few times the billing was confusing.
Dr. Londra always made sure my questions were answered. She remembered personal details that made it feel more like a human relationship than her 47th ultrasound that day. She shows a great deal of care that I could achieve a pregnancy.
Sally always had all the ducks in a row, which I appreciated. Any questions I forgot to ask the doctor, she either knew the answer or found out for me. She was always quick to return phone calls.
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Occasionally her accent made me misunderstand, but she was always happy to answer clarifying questions, so it was never an issue. I really appreciated the time she would spend making sure I was fully informed at each visit and had all my questions answered.
She is so compassionate that if you’re seeking bluntness you have to ask for it. She will err on the side of cautious optimism, but she will always give me her real opinion when asked. I think it’s just good bedside manner.
During ovarian stimulation, I was self-injecting 2-3 medications each night. One of them made my skin very itchy! I don’t remember more specifics because it was over a year ago.
The procedures associated with IVF with ICSI were around $4000, and medications were an additional $1500, approximately.
She strongly recommended only transferring one embryo, but I agreed with her reasoning. I think it’s smart to keep the chances of multiples to a minimum.
Columbus
I loved everything about this clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] except that your doctor may not be the one doing your procedures. The clinic atmosphere was very relaxing and open but made you feel like you had your privacy. They had multiple waiting rooms for each step of the process. And a convient lab right next door.... The nurses were probably the best part of this practice. They let me cry on the phone to them and we’re very patient with me and kept Me very informed.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I loved everything about this clinic except that your doctor may not be the one doing your procedures. The clinic atmosphere was very relaxing and open but made you feel like you had your privacy. They had multiple waiting rooms for each step of the process. And a convient lab right next door.
Very comfortablt office, she was very attentative and seemed genuinely interested in your life and what brought you to her.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
She was Very relatable and compassionate while being to the point. She answers all of your questions and always seemed knowledgeable. She always made sure to provide us resources and kept us informed of the expenses.
Know you are in safe hands and she will let you rest easier in her care.
She made us feel comfortable in our choices and let us know she would do whatever we wanted. She told us her recommendations, which was to try a couple more IUIs before jumping straight to IVF. She wanted her lab to have the chance to evaluate my husband’s sperm and see what they could do with it and have him on a medicine to try and improve it. He medicine seemed to work at first, however the subsequent results varied. No pregnancies ever came from the IUI and we moved on to IVF options.
The costs were very upfront and they would try their best to code things so they would be covered.
2011 - 2015
All of the staff [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine- Columbus] are very friendly. The only weakness I would list is they keep raising their price.... Nancy and Mckenzie [nurses at OH reproductive med] were amazing. If I had a question I needed to call the office or send an email, they were very fast to respond... My first cycle I inserted 2 embryos, 1 took and was successful. On my second cycle I inserted three eggs, one took but ended in a miscarriage due to a birth defect at seven weeks. Third cycle we inserted three eggs and none took.
2011 - 2015
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
All of the staff are very friendly. The only weakness I would list is they keep raising their price. Other clinics in New York are half the cost. I just recently heard about a clinic in New York which I am considering. In my heart I would rather stay local with Dr. Williams instead of traveling eight hours away. Cost is a factor.
Dr. Williams is amazing. Just wish on my following two cycles I would have seen him every time especially for retrieval and Insertion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and Mckenzie )
Nancy and Mckenzie were amazing. If I had a question I needed to call the office or send an email, they were very fast to respond.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Very considerate and knowledgeable. He always made me feel comfortable while in his care. The only thing I did not like was on my second and third retrievals I had a different doctor. I just wish Dr. Williams was there to do those as well since he was my doctor.
You're an excellent care with Steve Williams.
I do not remember which injections I did for IVF. My first cycle I inserted 2 embryos, 1 took and was successful. On my second cycle I inserted three eggs, one took but ended in a miscarriage due to a birth defect at seven weeks. Third cycle we inserted three eggs and none took.
I believe I have three ultrasounds for monitoring the embyo growth.
I think the cost is a little pricey.
IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer), Surrogacy
Everyone [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] was great at communicating! Our nurse always promptly returned calls and fully explained what came next, timing, and expectations....This is a successful practice that knows what it is doing and runs like a well-oiled machine. Clean, friendly. We had multiple conversations with billing/insurance coverage. The in-house finance person is generous with her time and never made time for us whenever we had questions.
IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer), Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Big! This is a successful practice that knows what it is doing and runs like a well-oiled machine. Clean, friendly. We had multiple conversations with billing/insurance coverage. The in-house finance person is generous with her time and never made time for us whenever we had questions.
Thoroughly explained process and procedures. Was direct and candid but caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone was great at communicating! Our nurse always promptly returned calls and fully explained what came next, timing, and expectations.
How was your experience with Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Friedman was clearly experienced and successful with his practice. He was confident in his direction and made us (husband, surrogate, surrogate husband and myself) comfortable with the process. Some people may be uncomfortable with his at-times bluntness, but it worked for us!
Don't expect a ton of hand-holding and "there, there's". But if you want a capable, trustworthy doctor who can get the job done, he's your guy. We really liked him a lot.
Don't recall the dosage and mine was different from my surrogate - a lot of moving parts and people. Whatever he did worked! We had a successful surrogate pregnancy with just one cycle and transferring one embryo.
Can't remember specifics - we were fortunate to have generous insurance coverage, but our out-of pocket was somewhere around the $8k-10k range.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
They [the nurses at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] were always very nice and informative...They are a very nice staff of people they have working for the doctors. If you have any serious hormone imbalance or any complex issue, I would recommend researching several different facilities first...During my 2nd round of IUI when Dr. Williams entered the room he asked me if I had ever had a vaginal ultrasound. Considering I had done my first round of IUI the month prior and had 2 previous ectopic pregnancies, anyone who would have read the chart before entering the room wouldn't ask that question.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They were always very nice and informative
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
During my 2nd round of IUI when Dr. Williams entered the room he asked me if I had ever had a vaginal ultrasound. Considering I had done my first round of IUI the month prior and had 2 previous ectopic pregnancies, anyone who would have read the chart before entering the room wouldn't ask that question. He also down played how serious my diminished ovarian reserve is and didn't inform me that IVF cycles would have a low success rate. He was ready to move forward without reviewing all the statistics and all my options. I'm just glad I got the 2nd opinion before moving forward. I would not recommend Dr. Williams to anyone who has diminished ovarian reserve or any other complex medical issue. They do not take outside factors into account before planning your treatment.
Do your research
Do not remember
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
McKenzie [a nurse at Ohio Reproductive Med] was absolutely wonderful! On top of everything and so hopeful when we needed her. Nancy made many scheduling mistakes that caused issues and frustration.... Nurse gave us appointment time and date but entered it on her end in wrong month. Day before appointnent I caught it on portal and called. Had to have appointment rescheduled after already planning mine and husbands work schedule.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Easy to get ahold of, not a long wait to see Dr. at appointments. Billing dept is not the best at communicating
Dr.williams always called my husband and I by name, he remembered little details about us and would talk about them at visits.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and McKenzie)
McKenzie was absolutely wonderful! On top of everything and so hopeful when we needed her. Nancy made many scheduling mistakes that caused issues and frustration.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Explains things very well, great bedside manner. Gave me his personal cell number in case I needed him over the weekend. Called to check on me himself after surgery. Portrayed confidence in my treatment but never promised anything he knew he may not be able to deliver.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
HSG to check tubes. Once we found one was blocked he gave us options of surgery or pursuing IVF without any pressure-he let us make decision. Once we found we were having an ectopic miscarriage, he explained our options-surgery vs methotrexate vs waiting and monitoring with labs and ultrasound. Recommended surgery to remove tube after ectopic miscarriage due to possibility of blocked tube contributing to miscarriages.
Roughly 10,000 for one cycle of IVF not including medications
He provides information on risks with transferring multiples, will discuss your Personal situation/age etc.
Columbus
Good communication across the board. Easy to schedule appointment [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] and always returned phone calls in a timely manner. Two separate waiting rooms which was confusing at first. Very minimal wait. Take a notebook and a folder I feel like sometimes you forget what happens because it can be overwhelming.... Sally is a perfect communicator and shows such love for what she does. Easy to talk to explains things well.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Good communication across the board. Easy to schedule appointment and always returned phone calls in a timely manner. Two separate waiting rooms which was confusing at first. Very minimal wait. Take a notebook and a folder I feel like sometimes you forget what happens because it can be overwhelming.
Dr. Londra was always showed empathy through the process and took time to explain each step.
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Linda cares about her patient and shows such thought the process. She was kind and yet straight forward with me. On top of being so great she listened to me on what has worked and didn’t work in the past. After the birth of my daughter we sent a picture and received a beautiful card back.
Trust her. She is a safe person to let take charge of this delicate time and process.
We started letrozole with provera and did 1 IUI to check sperm counts. She let us decide is we wanted another IUI but didn’t feel it was necessary.
2000
Columbus
It's very nice-waiting areas and atmosphere. The staff [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] are kind and well organized. The location is somewhat hidden which can be good for privacy but harder to find for navigation. It's near many restaurants which resulted in us grabbing breakfast while waiting for our IUI to be ready to perform.... Pricing seemed to be on par with what I'd heard for other clinics.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It's very nice-waiting areas and atmosphere. The staff are kind and well organized. The location is somewhat hidden which can be good for privacy but harder to find for navigation. It's near many restaurants which resulted in us grabbing breakfast while waiting for our IUI to be ready to perform.
While you do get a patient number, Dr. Williams always greeted me by name and made me feel comfortable.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams made the experience relaxing because he kept the atmosphere light-hearted. In such a heavy aspect of someone's life, that light-hearted nature really helped to feel at ease. He was honest but kind and hopeful.
Be honest about what you want out of the experience because he will discuss it with you let you lead
We first checked for blocked tubes doing a dye test then doing 3 rounds of IUI. Next we checked for endometriosis with laparoscopy and also had my husband evaluated and subsequently treated. One last IUI the month after laparoscopy and it worked.
We were lucky to have insurance cover our procedures. Pricing seemed to be on par with what I'd heard for other clinics.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
This clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] sees a high volume of patients and wait times can be lengthy. The staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. They are close to lab locations so blood work can be done same day as appointments with little travel...The nursing staff was friendly and wonderful! They are very much there to help the patient...Dr. Schmidt is patient and he's transparent. We never had a bad visit with this office. We were warned up front that he was a busy doctor who was highly requested but never felt like we didn't matter.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic sees a high volume of patients and wait times can be lengthy. The staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. They are close to lab locations so blood work can be done same day as appointments with little travel.
He was truthful but still offered hope. No falsehoods and no promises just promised to help us get answers which he did.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Be patient he's very popular and you might see the other doctors in the practice but he will still be over your care.
Columbus
They [Ohio Reproductive Medicine - Columbus] were all pretty nice but it seemed like they cared about the payment more than the patient. As soon as you walked in the receptionist was asked for payment and didnt really seem to care how you were doing. The environment isn't very inviting either, they would make it a little more cozy in there....I can't remember the one nurse's name but she was very rude when I called to ask a question.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They were all pretty nice but it seemed like they cared about the payment more than the patient. As soon as you walked in the receptionist was asked for payment and didnt really seem to care how you were doing. The environment isn't very inviting either, they would make it a little more cozy in there.
I always had to call them. And after i did my last IUI, I never heard another word.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
He was nice and explained things fairly well during our consultation. I had pretty high hopes with our chances of getting pregnant with just the IUI, but it didn't work. I just feel like after the last IUI that he could have communicated and asked how we were or what our next step could be.
Thankfully my insurance covered some of it but I believe we had to pay 225 for each IUI cycle.
Columbus
Egg retrieval [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine]- general anesthesia is not included in the costs, this was a seperate and extra charge of $1500 I believe. I opted out- it was the most painful thing I have ever endured, ask for general anesthesia- it will be worth it...He [Dr. Chad Friedman] provided a therapeutic touch with his communication that made me feel respected and comfortable, that he truly cared about the outcome of our fertility journey. He was very detailed and always explained things in full, we never left there wandering what step would be next
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Egg retrieval- general anesthesia is not included in the costs, this was a seperate and extra charge of $1500 I believe. I opted out- it was the most painful thing I have ever endured, ask for general anesthesia- it will be worth it
He was very caring, he had excellent bedside manner, and was delicate with the delivery of the information we were requesting and needing to hear
How was your experience with Chad Friedman at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
He provided a therapeutic touch with his communication that made me feel respected and comfortable, that he truly cared about the outcome of our fertility journey. He was very detailed and always explained things in full, we never left there wandering what step would be next
He retired- so I hope you can find another physician as good as him
It was well efficient
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Be aware that although you pick a doctor [at Ohio Repro Med] you see all of them and may not see your doctor throughout the whole process...I was lucky to have insurance that covered infertility. Out of pocket cost for IVF was about $7k, which included medication...
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Be aware that although you pick a doctor you see all of them and may not see your doctor throughout the whole process.
Minimal warmth
How was your experience with Elizabeth Kennard at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Kennard is direct and no nonsense, which I appreciate as I don't want false platitudes. However, along with the directness comes minimal warmth, which would be nice to have as I go through this difficult process.
Come prepared with questions and be an informed consumer. However, this advice is not isolated to her, but should be followed for all doctors.
1 IVF, 1 FET, 1 IVF suspended after egg retrieval as my progesterone was too high so I'm in the middle of my 2nd FET cycle. I used follistem rather then Gonal for insurance purposes. I had to use Gonal for my last cycle. I liked follistem better as the Gonal took longer and was way more expensive.
Columbus
Sitting in the waiting room is like therapy [Ohio Reproductive Medicine], you don’t have to talk to anyone to know that there are tons of people going through the same exact thing as you. It was welcoming, comfortable, not overdone.... They were so kind and sent from above. They guided treatment and coached me through they were so wonderful.... He [Dr. Williams] knew our story and was straightforward, blunt but kind whenever he delivered any news good or difficult.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Sitting in the waiting room is like therapy, you don’t have to talk to anyone to know that there are tons of people going through the same exact thing as you. It was welcoming, comfortable, not overdone.
He knew our story and was straightforward, blunt but kind whenever he delivered any news good or difficult.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
He is honest and to the point. He lacks some social skills but he is kind and genuine. And is really good at his job and gets the job done quickly, efficiently and effectively. He allowed us to guide treatment, we did IUI 2x and he wanted to do it a 3rd time but we asked to move forward with IVF and he agreed.
Trust him. Listen to him. Communicate with him.
Don’t recall specifics. So sorry.
Don’t remember
Since we only had 2 good embryos it was suggested we use them both since freezing doesn’t guarantee that they will stay.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
My IFV procedure [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] cost $7000. The medications cost $3000...Needs to be updated in appearance...Nancy is fantastic. She has the demeanor of an angel. She helped make IVF and all the uncomfortable, steril-ness so much better...Dr. Williams has taken a sincere interest in my extremely rare case. He makes me feel like he cares about me...I appreciate the time Dr. Williams has spent getting to know me and his hard work trying to help us have a baby. My case has is very strange and I've had weird symptoms for 2 years. Dr. Williams has helped in any way he could to help me.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Needs to be updated in appearance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy )
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you ask all the questions. Don't expect him to know what they are before you ask.
I can't remember the specifics of my treatments.
My IFV procedure cost $7000. The medications cost $3000
I felt comfortable in trusting Dr. Williams' advice. I took his suggestions to heart.
Columbus
This facility [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] took a scary, unknown experience for us and made us feel comfortable, and gave us the skills and knowledge to create an amazing life. We are so incredibly grateful for their services and our experience there.... My insurance covered everything but the cost of the insemination and the donor specimen... Dr londra was extremely knowledgeable and caring, she made sure we knew what was happening every step of the way.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
This facility took a scary, unknown experience for us and made us feel comfortable, and gave us the skills and knowledge to create an amazing life. We are so incredibly grateful for their services and our experience there.
Dr londra was warm and caring, she wanted to help my wife and i conceive a child
How was your experience with Laura Londra at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr londra was extremely knowledgeable and caring, she made sure we knew what was happening every step of the way. She was positive with us but, honest. On our first two unsuccessful tries she provided kind words and motivation to keep us trying. Now we have a beautiful 6 month old boy. We are so thankful for her services
Pick her, she is amazing
Columbus
Clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] is established and reasonably price. Be prepared to see many other Doctors aside from your primary there. They are busy! ...Nursing staff was awesome! Easy to get ahold of and very compassionate...$350 iui and provide some free injectables to help with costs.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is established and resonably price. Be prepared to see many other Doctors aside from your primary there. They are busy!
He has a great sense of humor and out us at ease. A few times he even said, if you were my daughter....
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carol and Cathy )
Nursing staff was awesome! Easy to get ahold of and very compassionate.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Great experience, discovered new issue my previous Doctor did not. My experience at ORM has been completely different that my experience at the other clinic in town.
Write down all your questions. He will answer them.
Iui with femara twice and iui with follistim.. Trigger shots with all.
$350 iui and provide some free injectables to help with costs
Columbus
My beta HCG test indicated a looming miscarriage, and the clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] called the wrong number by mistake. So I found out on the website. BUT they were appropriately horrified by the mistake. [Monitoring appointments are] quick and easy, which is wonderful as I'm driving an hour each way while trying to make it to work on time
He seems to be pretty invested in my success. He always makes me feel like he cares and is pulling for me.
How was your experience with Grant Schmidt at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
He is just a wonderful doctor! I only wish I could deal with just him, but I completely understand why that's not feasible.
Quick and easy, which is wonderful as I'm driving an hour each way while trying to make it to work on time
Columbus
She [my nurse] took her time when she answered my questions. She made me feel very informed and as in control as this process could be.
She would call an check on me to see how I was both physically and emotionally. She took her time when she answered my questions. She made me feel very informed and as in control as this process could be. During a miscarriage she called repeatedly as I was out of town and alone in a hotel so I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed.
How was your experience with Steven Williams at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
He was empatheic and encouraging without making me feel like he had any false promises. He was candid with the info he gave us, but sensitive to our feelings. We had to move away during the time I was being treated, but I feel like continuing treatment would have resulted with a successful pregnancy.
Be honest with all your info and if you have a question or concern do not be afraid to bring it up.