Oma Fertility of St. Louis

Providing backup medication is not offered

St. Louis
15320 Conway Road
St. Louis, MO 63017

Dr. Zarek really takes the time to explain everything—the procedures, the diagnosis, the process. She made sure that we can reach her at any time—she literally gave us her personal cell #...Dr. Zarek retrieved 18 eggs the morning of my retrieval, 14 of which were mature. 12 fertilized, and 9 made it to blastocyst stage...
I loved the whole staff [at Oma Fertility of St. Louis]! The atmosphere was always light and fun (but professional and compassionate)...The University clinic was organized, communicative, and treats me like a human being. It always felt private, and had a calm environment. We did have one issue in regards to pre-authorization being run prior to my IUIs, but when we realized what had happened, we spoke with Dr. Zarek and she made sure that things got taken care of...
How was your experience with Shvetha Zarek at Oma Fertility of St. Louis?
I have had a great experience with Dr. Zarek. 1. She is very knowledgeable—and is truly an educator at heart. She is great at explaining everything in a way that is easy to understand without making you feel stupid. 2. Honest and compassionate —she is very frank, but compassionate about what is going on and I really appreciate that. 3. Personal—I have never had a doctor who is as invested in me as Dr. Zarek. When she gave us her cell # at our first appointment, I was BLOWN AWAY.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shvetha Zarek at Oma Fertility of St. Louis?
I spent a lot of time reading these reviews when I was starting out, so I get it. It's nerve-wracking trying to figure out if you are taking the right next step, if you are choosing the right doctor/clinic. But if you haven’t set up an appointment...just do it! Dr. Zarek is the absolute best and I trust her wholeheartedly trust her with my care. She's heading up a new clinic now, so you won't find a lot of info about the clinic itself, but based on my time with her, she recruits none but the best to be on her team.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shvetha Zarek at Oma Fertility of St. Louis?
Dr. Zarek really takes the time to explain everything—the procedures, the diagnosis, the process. She made sure that we can reach her at any time—she literally gave us her personal cell #. And also: you can really tell that she actually cares. I can honestly say that I’ve never had a doctor that is this personal! I was nervous going into this journey, but Dr. Zarek really put us at ease!
Describe the protocols Shvetha Zarek used in your cycles at Oma Fertility of St. Louis and their degree of success.
I had done 3 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse with my OB prior to seeing Dr. Zarek with no indication of ovulation. Because of my anovulation + newly discovered double uterus, we attempted 4 consecutive IUIs with Femara/Letrozole + Ovidrel trigger. My second cycle was cancelled because the ovary attached to the small uterus that we were trying to avoid pregnancy in was the one developing a follicle. The other cycles I did develop 1-2 follicles each time and ovulated with the IUI, but none achieved pregnancy. At this point, my husband and I felt that we couldn't keep going with IUI, so we decided to move forward with IVF. I believe that we used a "Long Lupron" protocol. I started by taking birth control, then around week 3 started 2 weeks of daily Lupron injections, which were to continue through retrieval. I was instructed to stop birth control at the end of the pack to allow for a bleed and then did my baseline (which included blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound) on day 2/3 of my cycle. Because my estrogen levels and ultrasound looked great, I was instructed to start my stims protocol of 75iu Menopur and 150iu Gonal-F a few days later, which I continued through Stims day 5. My estrogen levels looked good, so Dr. Zarek asked me to increase my Gonal-F to 225iu for 2 days. Based on the bloodwork done at my first follicle scan, my estrogen levels responded to that increase quickly, so she had me reduce that dose back to 150iu so that my estrogen would not rise too high by the end (which would lead to OHSS). My follicle counts were good at that point, which we were all pleased with. By my follicle check on Stims Day 10, I had about 14 follicles measuring between 13-15mm and a bunch of smaller ones that we hoped would join in over the next few days. However, my estrogen was still trending up, so Dr. Zarek had me decrease my Gonal-F from 150iu to 75iu for the next couple of days, at which point we would decide if it was time to trigger or not. My follicle scan two days later, showed that I had 21 follicles growing. Dr. Zarek wanted to wait one more day, but my estrogen levels had spiked, so she had me go home and take one more dose of Menopur and Gonal-F and we added cabergoline to hopefully ward off OHSS, and I would be taking Lovenox for 7 days starting the night of retrieval in the case that I did develop OHSS. Dr. Zarek retrieved 18 eggs the morning of my retrieval, 14 of which were mature. 12 fertilized, and 9 made it to blastocyst stage. Typically, these would have all been frozen, and we would have given my body a rest before doing a frozen embryo transfer. My insurance only covered fresh transfers, so Dr. Zarek allowed us to do a fresh transfer on the condition that I did not develop OHSS. I did not, so on day 5 we went in and transferred one of our sweet embryos and the remaining 8 were frozen that day/next (if I remember correctly, a couple were still growing on day 5). I started on PIO and suppositories. I went in for my first beta 10 days later and SURPRISE I was pregnant! I was honestly shocked that it worked the first time, I was expecting to have to do more than one transfer because that is what seems to be typical. I graduated from the clinic around 8-10 weeks pregnant with orders to sit and gestate haha. Healthy baby was born at 37 weeks!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oma Fertility of St. Louis.
I loved the whole staff! The atmosphere was always light and fun (but professional and compassionate) - all of which made my experience so much better. Infertility is sooo heavy, but a light atmosphere at your clinic makes going through treatments so much easier!
Describe your experience with Oma Fertility of St. Louis.
The University clinic was organized, communicative, and treats me like a human being. It always felt private, and had a calm environment. We did have one issue in regards to pre-authorization being run prior to my IUIs, but when we realized what had happened, we spoke with Dr. Zarek and she made sure that things got taken care of! The staff was always helpful and quick to respond. Dr. Zarek is at a new clinic now, and I have not yet visited it...but having witnessed Dr. Zarek's expectations of herself and team, professionalism and warmth, I fully expect that Oma Fertility St. Louis is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to send my best friend there today if I was asked where she should go for fertility care...and I look forward to transferring my care to Oma Fertility-St. Louis when we begin the process of transferring another embryo (hopefully in the next year or so)!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shvetha Zarek at Oma Fertility of St. Louis.
The costs seemed about average, if not lower than what I have seen others talked about by friends from across the country. Her new clinic displays pricing on the website, which is nice!
Describe Shvetha Zarek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oma Fertility of St. Louis.
Dr. Zarek believes that it is best to transfer only one embryo at a time because multiples pose a greater risk for the health of mom and babies—and transferring multiple only increases your chances by a little bit, statistically. This also gives you the opportunity to save extra embryos for another transfer if the first doesn’t take. I agree with that rationale in general, but especially in my situation because I have two uteruses and they tend to be smaller than an average size uterus. Multiples would pose a risk to my and babies' health, so we will only do one transfer at a time.
Shvetha Zarek