3303 S.W. Bond Avenue
Portland, OR 97239
503 418-4500

Treated 2017
After my second IUI, I called the clinic saying I was very hesitant to do another and wanted to talk about alternatives such as IVF. I was told I was not allowed to schedule an appointment with Dr. Krieg until my 3rd IUI failed as per the treatment plan.... Dr. Krieg was easy to talk to and seemed helpful. I feel like she tried to give realistic (poor) odds of success with IUI. She pushed me away from doing IVF earlier on, which was unfortunate because then when I finally was able to get a meeting to talk to her about it, I was about to turn 38 and so no longer qualified for their refund programs.
The facility at south waterfront is fine. The OHSU billing department can be annoying to deal with.... I did not always get called about results, but I have access to their EMR so was able to look them up myself.... I was upset when I called asking for an appointment with my doctor and was told that was not allowed.... You will be asked to have a medical student in with you for visits. There are several doctors, you are assigned to one who manages your care, but you will see whoever is "on call" that week.
How was your experience with Sacha Krieg at Oregon Health Sciences University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sacha Krieg at Oregon Health Sciences University?
You will frequently see other MDs for monitoring appointments. There is often a long wait for regular appointments. At least for IUI, the availability of monitoring appointments was limited. If you have questions, you will be speaking to her staff, not to her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sacha Krieg at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Describe the protocols Sacha Krieg used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
I met with Dr. Krieg for secondary infertility. She recommended 2-3 cycles of IUI with clomid. She recommended not going straight to IVF with my history. I responded well to clomid and had a miscarriage with the 3rd IUI cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Oregon Health Sciences University.
I was upset when I called asking for an appointment with my doctor and was told that was not allowed. My doctor later said that was not the case, so I should have pushed harder. I think I was supposed to have a specific nurse, but I ended up speaking to someone different who was unfamiliar with my case almost every time. I know I was only an IUI patient, but every phone call was, "our priority is for our ivf patients" before they would work on handling my issues.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
You will be asked to have a medical student in with you for visits. There are several doctors, you are assigned to one who manages your care, but you will see whoever is "on call" that week. The facility at south waterfront is fine. The OHSU billing department can be annoying to deal with.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sacha Krieg at Oregon Health Sciences University.
IUI was not covered by insurance. Cost for 1 round including monitoring ultrasound, sperm wash, ovidrel trigger, clomid, and procedure was about $1000. Each visit was paid in advance.
Describe Sacha Krieg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Health Sciences University.
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Sacha Krieg
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Wu is so personable. When you consult with her, you meet her in her office, which feels very peaceful. She remembers personal details about you, and asks follow-up questions with genuine care.... Dr. Wu first managed my care in the middle of a frozen transfer cycle with a doctor out-of-state. The first thing she did was check my vitamin D and thryoid, and immediately put me on supplements and a thyroid med for low thyroid.
The clinic [Oregon Health Sciences U] is in a highly academic environment. There are lots of hallways and rooms, and you can feel a little lost. It is well run and efficient. The waiting area is beautiful, offering huge windows with a great view of downtown Portland. The staff are all professional and friendly.... The nurse coordinator seemed kind and helpful. She was very warm, reassuring, and encouraging. I always felt like she had a large caseload though. Messages were usually returned promptly, but not always, and she sometimes had to refer to notes before answering a question, which is definitely a good thing, but just made me feel like she didn't know me as well.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
We had our IVF cycle and embryo transfer in one state and relocated. Dr. Wu was willing to manage my care in Oregon, which was so helpful. She is highly educated on new research in the fertility world, and often brought in that knowledge and expertise to my care. I felt like she was giving me the best possible chance at becoming pregnant and having a baby.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Describe the protocols Diana Wu used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
Dr. Wu first managed my care in the middle of a frozen transfer cycle with a doctor out-of-state. The first thing she did was check my vitamin D and thryoid, and immediately put me on supplements and a thyroid med for low thyroid. I believe this was the reason my 3rd embryo transfer was successful. She also doubled my progesterone dose at this time. Unfortunately, this transfer ultimately ended in miscarriage at 15 weeks. After I healed, she did another frozen transfer using the standard protocol - birth control for a certain amount of time, then estrogen pills, the progesterone IM injections, 10 mL daily. This transfer resulted in a negative test. Then I did a "natural cycle" transfer, whichI highly recommend if you meet the criteria. From everything Dr. Wu told me and what I read, a natural cycle has the same success as a medicated one, when certain criteria are met. The meds were cheaper, monitoring was less, and I felt like it was more natural. It ended in a negative test as well, but there were questions surrounding both transfers related to the quality of the embryos after thawing. They just didn't thaw well (they were frozen at another clinic).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The clinic is in a highly academic environment. There are lots of hallways and rooms, and you can feel a little lost. It is well run and efficient. The waiting area is beautiful, offering huge windows with a great view of downtown Portland. The staff are all professional and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University.
A frozen transfer was around $2,000 including all monitoring.
Describe Diana Wu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Dr. Wu elected both times to have 2 embryos transferred. This was done after careful consideration of my health history. This was my 4th and 5th transfer, so that was the main reason for trying 2 each time. I was referred to a high-risk OB/GYN before the transfers though to make sure that there wouldn't be any unusual risks to me should both embryos take and I become pregnant with twins. I appreciated that she wanted an outside opinion to make sure this was a safe option before pursuing the 2-embryo transfer.
Treated 2017
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She [Dr. Amato] and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
Overall I like the clinic [OHSU]. The biggest frustration is with the late setting of protocols and lack of communication that sometime comes with this. Some cycles were better than others, and others I was having to get medication last minute (and pay a premium to do so) because it took so long. Similarly, when someone was on vacation or the schedule is out of the norm the communication sometimes broke down (i.e., not getting my transfer instructions at all because they occurred after a holiday. I took the wrong medication as a result).
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
If you're fine with "going with the flow" than Dr. Amato is good for you. If you like to be in control and plan a lot of ahead of time I would have reservations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Always remembered my information but conversations felt rote, received a few "I don't know, that's a drag" in response to chemical pregnancies.
Describe the protocols Paula Amato used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
Long lupron protocol, 1 menopur & 150 gonal f, stimmed for 11 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
Hannah was wonderful. She was compassionate and always willing to have a long explanatory conversation when she it was something she could explain. When it wasn't, she was great at finding the answer and getting back to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Overall I like the clinic. The biggest frustration is with the late setting of protocols and lack of communication that sometime comes with this. Some cycles were better than others, and others I was having to get medication last minute (and pay a premium to do so) because it took so long. Similarly, when someone was on vacation or the schedule is out of the norm the communication sometimes broke down (i.e., not getting my transfer instructions at all because they occurred after a holiday. I took the wrong medication as a result).
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
They forgot to call me with pre-transfer instructions, called in medication late. The nurse often caught minor mistakes in time, I was beyond grateful for her.
Treated 2015
She [Dr. Wu] was very nice in person, but we felt like we had to push to get answers or to do different tests. We aren’t any closer to our goal than when we started there despite her telling us how easy she thought it was going to be....by the end of our 3rd cycle we felt like maybe we weren’t going in a good direction and she didn’t seem willing to change her direction or consider changing the treatment to fit me.... We only ever saw our doctor when we came in specifically to meet with her
We never got to know any specific nurse. If we weren’t a number to our doctor we certainly were to the nurses [Oregon Health Sciences U]. Seemed like we were just another patient.... We were always the ones to call and ask what was next or what our results were. No information was offered or conveyed without us requesting it. I feel like there was more we should have known or done and yet the options were never really given to us and at the t8me we didn’t even know to ask.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
We only ever saw our doctor when we came in specifically to meet with her which was 3 times. She was very nice, but by the end of our 3rd cycle we felt like maybe we weren’t going in a good direction and she didn’t seem willing to change her direction or consider changing the treatment to fit me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Be okay with only seeing her in her office and don’t be afraid to ask for what you want to happen. She is very nice, just seems like maybe she’s got more important patients with bigger issues than yours.
She was very nice in person, but we felt like we had to push to get answers or to do different tests. We aren’t any closer to our goal than when we started there despite her telling us how easy she thought it was going to be.
All 3 cycles were the same with jus5 an increase in potency of the pill medication to get my ovaries to respond. We used Femara (Letrozole) on cycle days 3-7 and then had a follicle scan on day 13. Based on the results of the scan determined when to induce ovulation using a trigger shot called Ovidrel. All 3 cycles were just timed intercourse. After the 2nd failed cycle we insisted on my husband being tested to make sure there wasn’t any issue with him. To our relief (kind of) there wasn’t. On cycle 2 and 3 we had to redose with femara a second time for an addition 5 days and do another follicle scan in order to see results in my ovaries. Cycle 1 was 5mg of femara for 5 days. I produced a 15mm egg and an 18mm egg. We triggered on day 14 and I got my period 14 days later. Cycle 2 was 5mg for 5 days and the redose at 7.5mg for 5 days. I then produced a 26mm follicle that we triggered and again got my period 14 days later. Cycle 3 was 7.5mg for 5 days and then redose again at 7.5mg also. I produced a 20mm egg which we triggered and for the 3rd time I got my period 14 days later.
We never got to know any specific nurse. If we weren’t a number to our doctor we certainly were to the nurses. Seemed like we were just another patient.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
We saw every doctor in our clinic at least once. They all followed what Dr. Wu wanted to do moving forward instead of changing her plan and if they weren’t sure they consulted her before telling us the next step. So we never had every doctors opinion coming at us all at once.
Our insurance at the time helped. Each time we had a consultation it was $40. Each ultrasound (we had 5 in total) was $110. Our femara was about $5 each time at the pharmacy. My husbands semen analysis was $120. Our Ovidrel was $68 for each of our 3 cycles. I don’t know what any of the lab work cost. That was covered entirely by insurance. I never had any other procedures or treatments.
We did not do ivf.
Treated 2014
Dr. Amato is passionate about her work, as evidenced by the fact that she is/was on the ethics committee for SART. I get the impression she lives and breathes her work and is very invested in the success of her patients...Dr. Amato was candid but always present and ready to answer questions either online or while on call. I felt she was very interested in our success, not just for her numbers but because she believes in her work...
Very professional, private, elegant space in a new building. The egg donor pool was limited in number and limited to in-house only. I don't know if they allow outside donors but I don't think so...She [nurse] was an absolute sweetheart. She endured the most trivial of questions and always got back to me quickly if she needed to consult the RE...
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Pick her even if you have to wait longer for the appointment. Hard as it may be, try to keep your emotions in check and listen objectively to the facts, otherwise feelings cloud your judgment and you forget to ask the important questions.
We did IUI twice, at our insistence, and both failed. We quickly moved to egg donor (fresh cycle). I used estradiol for a while (no memory of the dose or duration; tablets) followed by 12 long weeks of progesterone in oil shots (2 ml I think, but its a blur). I didn't really mind the estradiol like some people except it gave me headaches. The POI was awful for the first few weeks, but I got used to it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University.
God I wish I could recall her name. She was an absolute sweetheart. She endured the most trivial of questions and always got back to me quickly if she needed to consult the RE.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University.
I think the bottom line was about $25K. Nothing was covered by insurance
Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Wu is very flexible and adjusts her care to fit the needs of her patients. If I had a question about my plan of care, she would always explain her reasoning and would offer alternatives if they were available.... After our first egg retrieval (using lupron) produced only 1 embryo, Dr. Wu adjusted my protocol and did less suppression in an effort to produce more eggs. This protocol produced 3 embryos. After 2 transfers resulted in negative pregnancy tests, Dr. Wu opted to do an endometrial biopsy. We finally had a successful transfer after that.
OHSU is a great clinic with wonderful staff. All team members communicate well with one another. The front desk staff is very friendly and makes the awkwardness of IVF seem completely normal. The financial coordinator did a great job ensuring we knew how much we should expect to spend.... Oahn is a wonderful nurse. She was very empathetic through the whole process and made sure I knew what to expect next.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Feel free to ask her questions if you’re unsure about something.
Dr. Wu is very kind and does a phenomenal job of problem-solving with her patients. I felt like we were all part of a team working toward a goal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Oahn )
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
We were out of pocket, so IFV was expensive. It was all explained to us upfront and was more than worth it.
We had MFI and limited embryos, so we only transferred 1 embryo at a time.
Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Amato is a straight shooter. ...She is very responsive to questions and concerns. She made my husband, myself and our donor feel at ease. ... She tells you the facts but still shows compassion for your situation. She is very responsive to emails and replys in a timely manner. She returns calls promptly and is willing to work with you. ... She may appear stern but she is very compassionate! ...
OHSU has a variety of opportunity for those seeking a family. There are financing options available which I was not able to find at other clinics. This staffing is consistent so you see many of the same faces. It is a calm and quiet environment and they are willing to work through any trouble. ... We had a counseling appointment set up for our donor and her spouse. As well as my husband and myself. Somehow the appointment was not available when we arrived.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Amato is a straight shooter. She tells you the facts but still shows compassion for your situation. She is very responsive to emails and replys in a timely manner. She returns calls promptly and is willing to work with you.
She may appear stern but she is very compassionate!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Cox)
Rachel is very compassionate about her work and it shows. She has a very sweet demeanor and make sure that all questions are answered in a timely manner.
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
We had a counseling appointment set up for our donor and her spouse. As well as my husband and myself. Somehow the appointment was not available when we arrived. They did however squeeze us in at the end of the day. It was a mild inconvenience were scheduling around other things during the day putting childcare for my daughter we had a counseling appointment set up for our donor and her spouse. As well as my husband and myself. Somehow the appointment was not available when we arrived. They did however squeeze us in at the end of the day. It was a mild inconvenience for scheduling around other things during the day putting childcare for my donto.
Treated 2013 - 2018
When starting my cycle you are told it will be about 10 days of shots. However, Dr. Wu realized that my body was not reacting to the medication as it should. We kept a slow and steady pace, after 28 days we got three big and perfect eggs!... always takes the time to ask me about the things going on in my life, makes me feel heard and takes the time to always answer my questions (even when they are repetitive)
Oanh [at Oregon Health Sciences University] was compassionate and always there to help me talk through things. Nurse Oanh is who I talked to when I found out our cycle didn’t work, she let me cry on the phone and said all the right things I needed in that moment. She’s great!...The clinic is well organized, easy to find, good parking situation and clean. The one downer about the clinic is that not all the receptionists are as compassionate as the nurses and Doctors at the clinic.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
I started to see Dr. Wu when I was 18. She has always been compassionate and taken the time to answer every single question in great detail. The only bad thing is that Dr. Wu is running late most of the time, but it’s because she takes the time to make you feel heard.
Ask all the questions you want, seriously no question is a bad question.
Dr. Wu always takes the time to ask me about the things going on in my life, makes me feel heard and takes the time to always answer my questions (even when they are repetitive)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Oanh )
Oanh was compassionate and always there to help me talk through things. Nurse Oanh is who I talked to when I found out our cycle didn’t work, she let me cry on the phone and said all the right things I needed in that moment. She’s great!
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Because of our cycle taking about 28 days before procedure the medication cost was a lot. We paid about $8000.00 in total for everything.
Portland
She [Dr. Diana Wu] did Inital workup as usually with a doubled Clomid cycle to start with to see if I could produce more than 1 egg. I didn’t do I asked if we could do straight to an injectable cycle. We did and were successful in producing more eggs. I had a total of 12 eggs but only 5 on my good side. She reduced my dosage and I ended up with 1 egg in the end which was not ideal.
Really hard to get an appointment [at OHSU]. I waiting almost 2 months to get in which only left me 2 cycles before my insurance ran out. they are good at communicating. Free parking. It’s hard to talk to anyone when calling. Always expect a call back!... Loved my nurse! She followed up and communicated great. I appreciated her care and compassion for me.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
I had a good experience. I unfortunately was going through my iUI experience while she was going out of town so I went back an forth between her and another doctor. I felt like she heard me and listened to what I had to say. I appreciated that I felt like a patient and not a number.
Speak up for yourself! She will listen to you.
She talked to me and really communicated well with me. She acted like she really knew what we were going through. And she was willing to listen to my suggestions.
She did Inital workup as usually with a doubled Clomid cycle to start with to see if I could produce more than 1 egg. I didn’t do I asked if we could do straight to an injectable cycle. We did and were successful in producing more eggs. I had a total of 12 eggs but only 5 on my good side. She reduced my dosage and I ended up with 1 egg in the end which was not ideal.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Really hard to get an appointment. I waiting almost 2 months to get in which only left me 2 cycles before my insurance ran out. they are good at communicating. Free parking. It’s hard to talk to anyone when calling. Always expect a call back!
It was 100% covered under my insurance so I do not know the cost.
I do not have comments.
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Nothing major. I would have to call to find out my results from my initial testing before they would.
Portland
Dr. Amato was very honest with us but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment due to not enough eggs being produced... She was honest with us but a bit pessimistic about our chances. A bit more optimism would have been nice. She prescribed Menopur but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment. We spent a lot of money on the Menopur, so we were quite disappointed that this did not lead to any success.
Strengths: pharmacy in same building [Oregon Health Sciences University], easy to get to, free parking, comfortable, new facilities. Weaknesses: did not strive to get insurance to cover some of treatment. Not everything needs to be specifically filed as infertility, forcing the patient to pay 100%.... We thought the nurses were very good, well trained, and professional... Intrauterine insemination endocrine management $475 Follicular scans $1300 Blood draws $130
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Be aware that if you're not a very good candidate for using your own eggs in an in vitro fertilization attempt, she'll likely stop your cycle and try to push you towards donor egg IVT.
225 units of Menopur daily, starting on day 3 after start of period
We thought the nurses were very good, well trained, and professional
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths: pharmacy in same building, easy to get to, free parking, comfortable, new facilities. Weaknesses: did not strive to get insurance to cover some of treatment. Not everything needs to be specifically filed as infertility, forcing the patient to pay 100%.
Intrauterine insemination endocrine management $475 Follicular scans $1300 Blood draws $130 Intrauterine insemination $283 Sperm prep $180 Estradiol $320 Progesterone $85 HCG $60 Menopur $1226 Progesterone suppositories $136
Treated 2016 - 2017
He [Dr. Lee] is amazing and if you want a great doctor, it's worth the wait!...He truly cares about you...Dr. Lee is personable and communicates in a friendly manner. He really cares about you and what you want to do next as well as what he suggests. He was never short in his answers in that we never felt like just another patient in his clinic. We were looking for this having left a previous doctor because we felt like we were just a number.
My nurse [at Oregon Health Sciences University] who did my care coordination was truly amazing! She was flexible in calling me due to my work hours, was always friendly and personable. She truly cares about her patients and her work...They are very patient centered...We did a package plan that was $16,000 for up to two egg retrievals and as many embryo transfers with those eggs until you have a live birth. Genetic testing was around $2,000. Medications ranged from 4,000-$6,000
How was your experience with David Lee at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Lee is personable and communicates in a friendly manner. He really cares about you and what you want to do next as well as what he suggests. He was never short in his answers in that we never felt like just another patient in his clinic. We were looking for this having left a previous doctor because we felt like we were just a number. He is amazing and if you want a great doctor, it's worth the wait!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Lee at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Wait the extra few months to be his patient :) I mean in the scheme of infertility a few months really isn't much.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Lee at Oregon Health Sciences University?
He is amazing! He truly cares about you and your profess, not just getting results for his business.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Pam Leonard)
My nurse who did my care coordination was truly amazing! She was flexible in calling me due to my work hours, was always friendly and personable. She truly cares about her patients and her work.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
I don't see any weaknesses at this clinic. They are very patient centered. It's not about how many live births they have had and how their numbers look as a business. They are there to help you have a child and to be a positive part of this process. We left another clinic to come to OHSU and it was the best decision we made in our process!
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Lee at Oregon Health Sciences University.
David Lee
Treated 2016
We are so grateful that we found Dr. Wu along our fertility journey and cannot thank her and her team enough for helping us achieve our dream of having a baby. We found Dr. Wu to be one of the most caring physicians we have had, very knowledgeable and so compassionate. We really appreciated that she paid such close attention to all of the details of the IVF cycle. You can tell she loves what she does, genuinely cares for her patients and wants to help them get pregnant.
The waiting room [at OHSU-OR Health Sciences] has a beautiful view of the city which can be calming before ultrasound and blood draw visits. The office can be busy so try to be patient. The staff and doctors are all very caring, and we know they are trying their best to make sure we're well taken care of.... We knew that nurses were also rooting for our success and were very caring and helpful.... We loved Dr.Wu!! We had such a wonderful experience working with her and her nurse.
Trust in her care
We loved Dr.Wu!! We had such a wonderful experience working with her and her nurse. She always knew and remembered our history, and paid careful attention to every detail of our treatment plans. We knew she genuinely cared for us and about our goal of having a baby, and always rooting for us to succeed.
2 Clomid and IUI cycles Donor egg IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The waiting room has a beautiful view of the city which can be calming before ultrasound and blood draw visits. The office can be busy so try to be patient. The staff and doctors are all very caring, and we know they are trying their best to make sure we're well taken care of.
We did a single embryo transfer and conceived on the 1st cycle, which resulted in our son. We have another 5 blastocysts frozen and plan to try for another baby next year.
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Patton was kind and seemed personally invested in our success....We really liked Dr. Patton overall. He was pleasant, informative, and seemed to care about our success. However, while he was open to exploring the reasons for our continued lack of success, he did not offer us many options in terms of new or different protocols.
This clinic [OHSU] has several doctors. Although you see your primary doctor for appointments that involve discussions of treatment plans or next steps, you otherwise typically see whichever doctor is on call. The clinic itself is nice, the equipment seems very high tech, and the staff is very warm and friendly.
How was your experience with Phillip Patton at Oregon Health Sciences University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Phillip Patton at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Ask about alternatives to the standard protocol (medicated cycle involving lupron).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Phillip Patton at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Patton was kind and seemed personally invested in our success.
Describe the protocols Phillip Patton used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
For our egg retrieval, Dr. Patton used menopur, follistim, ganirelex, and micro-dose HCG. The rationale was that I did not have a history of infertility and was likely to be a good responder. The protocol worked well for me. 20 eggs were retrieved, which resulted in six blastocysts. Four of the six were genetically normal after PGS testing. For each of our transfers, I was on lupron for two weeks, lupron and estadiol for two weeks, and estadiol and progesterone in oil right before (and after) the transfer. The three transfers (all of genetically tested embryos) resulted in two negative pregnancy tests and one chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Kari)
My primary nurse as well as the entire nursing staff were very caring and communicative.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
This clinic has several doctors. Although you see your primary doctor for appointments that involve discussions of treatment plans or next steps, you otherwise typically see whichever doctor is on call. The clinic itself is nice, the equipment seems very high tech, and the staff is very warm and friendly.
Phillip Patton
Treated 2020
Dr. Amato is pretty blunt. She seems kind but lacks warmness. Dr. Amato was brief in explanation of the process. It was often assumed I had done an IUI previously despite the numerous times I said it was my first. There wasn’t much discussion about my options or success rates. Most information I gathered on my own...I don’t feel everything was explained thoroughly. After my first IUI, Dr. Amato just told me to take a pregnancy test in two weeks. I had to inquire what next steps were. There was no discussion of success rates.
Dr. Amato [at Oregon Health Sciences University] wanted an unmedicated treatment...All nurses were nice...The paperwork I had to fill out was heteronormative....not LGBT specific despite the fact it was known I’m seeking fertility treatment due to being LGBT. The receptionist is super nice! Majority of staff I interacted with are very kind. Parking was confusing the first time I went so leave with extra time. Do your research and be prepared with questions.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions!
Dr. Amato wanted an unmedicated treatment.
All nurses were nice.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Well one follow up visit (in which Dr. Amato said I’ve completed everything and can start IUI next cycle) cost over $1400. This is an expensive process and I had to take out a personal loan to assist with the costs of treatment.
Treated 2017
Dr. Wu is very kind, energetic, and knowledgeable. She looked at our case as a whole and made adjustments according to us. She explained things fully, and would re-explain if we had questions. I can’t wait to try for baby #2 with her in the future.... After each fail she would personally call us to talk about what she thought went wrong, she also called after our BFP.... once we figured out that polyps were an issue we adjusted the plan to include a d&c before the next transfer. This resulted in our BFP
The staff [Oregon Health Sciences Unviversity] was amazing! They were kind, remembered us, and by the time we “graduated “ they would give us hugs and encouragement... Strength: amazing team to work with, payment plans available, always got back to me when I had questions, pharmacy mailed medication Weakness: downtown Portland.... parking could be a pain, medication was spendy, no clinics closer to where I live.
Trust her
Dr. We was very friendly. After each fail she would personally call us to talk about what she thought went wrong, she also called after our BFP.
I can’t recall our exact protocol, but once we figured out that polyps were an issue we adjusted the plan to include a d&c before the next transfer. This resulted in our BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The staff was amazing! They were kind, remembered us, and by the time we “graduated “ they would give us hugs and encouragement
We got a loan for our process minus medication: $23k Medication: $6-7k

Treated 2015
She [Dr. Amato] seemed to write me off because of my age and initial test results: all at the low end of normal. Didn't feel like she cared that we were struggling and that we were being impatient.... I just never felt like I connected with this doctor. She kept telling me we were fine, and then things would get worse (results wise). Even when we did procedures, I don't remember being asked how we were feeling, or any considerations to the challenges of being an infertility couple. Like IUIs were wasting her time.
For a large facility, I had higher expectations. But between the coolness of the doctor and the lack of connection with the staff [Oregon Health Sciences U], its hard to say if they had any real strengths. The view from the windows was nice.... They mailed me a different couple's IVF protocol; a major privacy breach.... I never had the same nurse from one day to the next. No relationships developed.... I just never felt like I connected with this doctor. She kept telling me we were fine
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
I hope she has some brilliant technical skills that we just never got to see; her coldness was too much for us to deal with.
She seemed to write me off because of my age and initial test results: all at the low end of normal. Didn't feel like she cared that we were struggling and that we were being impatient.
She wanted us to keep trying on our own and reluctantly started us on Clomid + IUI. She thought we would just need one cycle, then two, then...we went to someone else.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
For a large facility, I had higher expectations. But between the coolness of the doctor and the lack of connection with the staff, its hard to say if they had any real strengths. The view from the windows was nice.
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
They mailed me a different couple's IVF protocol; a major privacy breach.
Portland
Dr Amato was open to my desires and weighing those with odds of success...I felt that Dr Amato was warm, down to earth, and accommodating. She was up front and honest yet gentle with her information. She spent the time I needed with me even during my initial free meet and greet. Dr Amato was also on time!... I will be using donor egg and sperm....Don’t be afraid to ask any questions
Strengths include being willing to try with patients own eggs even if the odds are low, as long as the patient understands. Other clinics are too worried about ther statistics. Being part of a university [Oregon Health Sciences] they are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies or other companies sales....I bought a fertility package since my insurance did not cover anything. It was less expensive than paying per item.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions
Dr Amato was open to my desires and weighing those with odds of success
I will be using donor egg and sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
It wasn’t always easy to get in touch with the RN on the phone
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths include being willing to try with patients own eggs even if the odds are low, as long as the patient understands. Other clinics are too worried about ther statistics. Being part of a university they are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies or other companies sales. They offer Financial packages. Very open to every family type.
Treated 2007 - 2018
She [Dr. Amato] paid attention, listened, and gave me her best efforts.... I appreciated her thoughtful care. I felt like a person, not a number. She gave me her best advice even when I didn’t want to hear it. She is very skilled and knowledgeable and readily shared her knowledge with us. We genuinely believed she cared about us and wanted to help us.... During our twins heartbeat ultrasound, the doctor cried with us. When we came back for a FET after ten years, they all remembered us.
Great location [Oregon Health Sciences U], easy scheduling, straightforward billing. It feels like a team that’s on your side. During our twins heartbeat ultrasound, the doctor cried with us. When we came back for a FET after ten years, they all remembered us. The lab director did our transfer even though he no longer practices, just supervises. It’s like a family.... Straightforward fees. Very inexpensive FETs ($1600)... I felt like a person, not a number. She gave me her best advice even when I didn’t want to hear it.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
She can be direct which I appreciate.
She paid attention, listened, and gave me her best efforts.
Very responsive and kind.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Great location, easy scheduling, straightforward billing. It feels like a team that’s on your side. During our twins heartbeat ultrasound, the doctor cried with us. When we came back for a FET after ten years, they all remembered us. The lab director did our transfer even though he no longer practices, just supervises. It’s like a family.
Straightforward fees. Very inexpensive FETs ($1600)

Treated 2015
Dr. Wu has always very professional and warm. She calmly laid out our plan and likelihood of success without offering any crazy promises...My wife took one round of fertility drugs and we started with IUI, as Dr. Wu thought this would carry a good likelihood of success without the financial burden of IVF. Fortunately, this initial treatment resulted in a pregnancy and successful birth...
OHSU is well organized and offers all services within their organization. They don't push for IVF as a first resort, unless necessary...My wife took one round of fertility drugs and we started with IUI, as Dr. Wu thought this would carry a good likelihood of success without the financial burden of IVF. Fortunately, this initial treatment resulted in a pregnancy and successful birth...Our total costs were under $1000 as the fertility drugs and IUI were mostly covered by health insurance...
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
My wife and I were always treated with the utmost respect by Dr. Wu. Her plan for us was laid out clearly and luckily we had a successful pregnancy after one round of IUI and hormonal treatment.
Treated 2016
She [Dr. Wu] has fair bedside manner, but did talk over us a few times, which was significantly less then desirable. she did allow a lot of space for answering questions and did not rush us at all, which was appreciated...
She has fair bedside manner, but did talk over us a few times, which was significantly less then desirable. she did allow a lot of space for answering questions and did not rush us at all, which was appreciated
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr Wu was always prepared for our appointments and knew our plan. She had a great bedside manner. I loved that she was blunt but gentle about it...was extremely knowledgeable. I had a particularly complicated case given my age, Asherman’s, previous ectopic, etc. She never gave up on me when she could have. I always felt heard and she was easy to talk to. I’m grateful for her care.
During our over 1.5 years at the clinic [Oregon Health Sciences University] I communicated with / interacted with quite a few nurses. Every single one of them was fantastic. From the nurses doing blood draws, to the ones setting up my FET schedule, or the one at the ER or FET - I seriously couldn’t be happier with them. This year has been especially tricky with Covid and they were all wonderful, professional, compassionate, funny and so much more.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr Wu was extremely knowledgeable. I had a particularly complicated case given my age, Asherman’s, previous ectopic, etc. She never gave up on me when she could have. I always felt heard and she was easy to talk to. I’m grateful for her care.
During our over 1.5 years at the clinic I communicated with / interacted with quite a few nurses. Every single one of them was fantastic. From the nurses doing blood draws, to the ones setting up my FET schedule, or the one at the ER or FET - I seriously couldn’t be happier with them. This year has been especially tricky with Covid and they were all wonderful, professional, compassionate, funny and so much more.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The only weakness which I’m sure is industry standard is sometimes appointments are scheduled far at - especially at the beginning. This clinic has handled Covid safety amazingly well. They are professional and caring.
Portland
She [Dr. Diana Wu] was realistic, straight forward and honest. All the while being warm and compassionate. Good bedside manner...We felt positive and respected at the end of our visit...Ask a lot of questions, she is willing to take the time to talk with you... We start IVF next month...The only weakness is I thought we had had a plan written out, but found out that when I was ready to move forward with IVF that a treatment plan hadn’t been formally written yet. So that took a bit longer then desired.
[The staff at Oregon Health Sciences University is] Organized, friendly, helpful, and prompt. The only weakness is I thought we had had a plan written out, but found out that when I was ready to move forward with IVF that a treatment plan hadn’t been formally written yet. So that took a bit longer then desired. But overall very happy with the treatment I have gotten from the doc and the nurses...Very communicative, I was always able to get a hold of someone or get a call back easily
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
She was realistic, straight forward and honest. All the while being warm and compassionate. Good bedside manner. We had gone to a doctor at Oregon. reproductive medicine and has a horrible experience. So going to OHSU and seeing Dr. Wu was the opposite. We felt positive and respected at the end of our visit. Where ORM was cold and unfriendly.
Ask a lot of questions, she is willing to take the time to talk with you.
In comparison to the doctor I saw at Oregon Reproductive, she was extremely personable, warm and friendly. (the ORM doc was not)
I have had only a few appointments with her. We start IVF next months. So I can’t answer this yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Dani Green)
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
23,900 for IVF 6-8 thousand for medication 120 dollars for the the genetic consultation Approx 300 for initial consult
N/A IVF hasn’t started for us quite yet

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Kreig was very personal and thorough. She spent a lot of time with us at each visit and I never felt rushed. However, it was rather difficult to speak directly with Dr. Kreig as most communication is managed by her nurses [OHSU]. ... Initially, the focus was to find a cause for my RPL. After numerous diagnostic tests were done, the only probably cause was chromosomal abnormalities. As a result, IVF with genetic testing was chosen.
Wait time is usually reasonable [at OHSU]. Time with the doctors is great. Clinic management is efficient. However, scheduling appointments to see your doctors can take several weeks. The nursing staff is prompt at returning calls. The financial advisors are very helpful. ... Develop a good relationship with the nurses as you will primarily be working with them throughout the process.
How was your experience with Sacha Krieg at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr Kreig was very personal and thorough. She spent a lot of time with us at each visit and I never felt rushed. However, it was rather difficult to speak directly with Dr. Kreig as most communication is managed by her nurses.
Caring, considerate, and personal.
Most were kind and helpful. However some were rude.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Wait time is usually reasonable. Time with the doctors is great. Clinic management is efficient. However, scheduling appointments to see your doctors can take several weeks. The nursing staff is prompt at returning calls. The financial advisors are very helpful.
IVF retrieval is approximately $10,000. Genetic testing is $3300. Embryo transfer is approximately $2600.
OHSU will transfer only a single embryo.
Sacha Krieg
Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr Wu is an amazing MD she cares about her patients and takes the time to cater to your specific situation. She always explained everything and always made choices that were in my best interest. I would recommend her treatment and team to anyone going through this processs ... She suggested transferring the 2 embryos I had and I am glad I did I now have my baby and I didn’t have to go through multiple transfers
Strengths os [Oregon Health Sciences University] are great customer service compassion reliability quick response sand the weaknesses are sometimes they are running behind in appointments and long hold times on the phone when you call in to make appointments or return calls ... She suggested transferring the 2 embryos I had and I am glad I did I now have my baby and I didn’t have to go through multiple transfers
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Keep and open mind and trust Dr Wu she is very smart , experienced and truly cares about her patients
Compassionate caring and thorough
I was given the antagonist protocol for my treatment last time I had about 10-12 follicles and she used appropriate dosing for my situation which resulted in my beautiful baby boy. She explained what she believed the outcome would be and she was right on.
Very quick to respond
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths are great customer service compassion reliability quick response sand the weaknesses are sometimes they are running behind in appointments and long hold times on the phone when you call in to make appointments or return calls
13000 for IVF services and around 6K for medications
Portland
With both iuis [with Dr. Paula Amato] I was prescribed 50 mg clomid I did the the trigger shot then the iui next day...always takes the time to explain everything to me and let me ask all the questions I want to...I always lefted the clinic with knowledge of what the next move will be. Also her and her team always respond to my emails in a timely mannor...Strengths are very knowledgable of the procedures, always respond to emails very quickly. Always answer all your questions. Good at explaining everything so you understand the procedure. Very friendly and kind.
About $700.00 for each iui [at Oregon Health Sciences University]...Strengths are very knowledgable of the procedures, always respond to emails very quickly. Always answer all your questions. Good at explaining everything so you understand the procedure. Very friendly and kind...The clinic and Dr. Amato always takes the time to explain everything to me and let me ask all the questions I want to...With both iuis I was prescribed 50 mg clomid I did the the trigger shot then the iui next day.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Paula Amato always very caring and takes her time answering questions I always lefted the clinic with knowledge of what the next move will be. Also her and her team always respond to my emails in a timely mannor.
That they are in good hands and good care.
About $700.00 for each iui