Genetic counseling: Offered
877.567.4994
9555 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
503.274.4994
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ORM Fertility to a friend?

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Seamless communication between all departments of clinic [ORM]. Expect to see your one doctor and nurse each time, which makes care feel very personal. They strictly deal with issues of fertility, so when I had issues with blood pressure crop up because of fertility medication (very unexpectedly), I was sent to my PCP. This felt disjointed and I wished the clinic communicated better with my PCP rather than me being the “in between” trying to relay messages back and forth.
East Asian, Other
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Seamless communication between all departments of clinic. Expect to see your one doctor and nurse each time, which makes care feel very personal. They strictly deal with issues of fertility, so when I had issues with blood pressure crop up because of fertility medication (very unexpectedly), I was sent to my PCP. This felt disjointed and I wished the clinic communicated better with my PCP rather than me being the “in between” trying to relay messages back and forth. Other than this one issue, have had a wonderful experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Took time to answer all our questions with as much detail as we needed, when we miscarried he gave the news with great compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
There was seamless communication between dr, nurse, lab, and the embryology team. My nurse was my primary contact and was available by email and phone whenever I needed. She followed up with me frequently after hyperstimulation and compassionately checked in after miscarriage.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Extremely knowledgeable, completely confident in his wisdom, insight, and protocols. Will move along quickly if you don’t have questions so be forward with any questions. When you do ask, he is very thorough. He deferred to my PCP a couple times due to unexpected complications, which caused my care to feel disjointed at those times, but overall he is a great doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
If you ask questions you will get thoughtful and thorough answers.
Describe the protocols John Hesla used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
I have PCOS so he watched very carefully so I would not hyperstimulate but was also sensitive to the fact that the egg quality was likely not great. He adjusted dosages/treatment length to accommodate (upping Follistim when follicles were not growing, then tapered off once they started developing quicker). Because of the amount of eggs (31 at retrieval) and symptoms of overstimulation he called for a freeze-all and a month to get my body back to baseline.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Around $30,000 though we are not pregnant yet.
Describe John Hesla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
I did not feel like Dr. Hesla pushed either way for one or two embryos. He answered our questions, offered neutral and data-based reasoning for both options, and supported our choice without hesitation.
Portland Downtown

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility.

Anovulation, Male Factor
Beautiful clinics- I went to both the Westside and Downtown offices [of ORM] for treatment. Everyone I worked with was incredibly helpful, kind and patient. I was able to get in for a consultation within a couple weeks of calling for a new patient appointment.... Heidi was amazing to work with! She was always quick to respond to portal messages and return calls. I appreciated how thorough she was and felt like I was always in good hands working with her. Heidi simplified the IVF process so much for me. She highlighted my calendar with important things and coordinated all of my medications with the pharmacy directly.
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Beautiful clinics- I went to both the Westside and Downtown offices for treatment. Everyone I worked with was incredibly helpful, kind and patient. I was able to get in for a consultation within a couple weeks of calling for a new patient appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Fisher was very compassionate with his care, he shared his personal experiences with infertility and helped my husband and I feel comfortable and confident with treatments. We didn't feel like we got the "standard" treatment, but that our protocol was tailored to our needs and desires as patients. For example, it was initially recommended that we have a freeze-all cycle, but it was very important to me that we were able to do a fresh transfer. Dr. Fisher made sure to monitor me closely throughout the stimulation process so that we could safely move forward with a fresh transfer. I appreciated the fact that I was being heard, and that we were able to make decisions about our care. Dr. Fisher and his team answered all of our questions every step of the way, and we are so thankful to have worked with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Fisher was great at communicating from our initial consultation, to explanations of procedures and future treatment options. He explained the science (which was important to me) and the practical steps (which were important to my husband) without hesitation. He always answered our questions and made sure that we left every appointment feeling like we knew what to expect moving forward. I was especially impressed with Dr. Fisher's compassion toward both of us. He would personally call with test results and check in on us when things didn't go exactly as planned. He is kind and genuine in his approach. I think that his personal experience with infertility makes him especially understanding of what his patients go through.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
Don't hesitate to ask questions, and don't be afraid to express your thoughts/concerns. You will feel better having all of your questions answered!
Describe the protocols Thomas Fisher used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
We started treatment with medicated cycles and IUI, after 3 unsuccessful attempts we asked to move on to IVF. We moved forward with IVF + ICSI and a fresh embryo transfer. The first transfer, unfortunately, resulted in miscarriage. We are currently pregnant with our miracle baby from our second transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility.
The costs differed depending on the treatment. The clinic bills for the IVF cycle which covers ultrasounds, egg retrieval and embryology. There is an additional cost for anesthesia during the egg retrieval, and medications are purchased directly from the pharmacy.
Describe Thomas Fisher's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
My experience was that Dr. Fisher tends to be conservative and in our situation pushed toward single embryo transfer. Safety of both mother and baby are extremely important to him, and I respect him for urging us to only transfer one embryo. That being said, had we chosen to transfer 2 embryos I know that he would have supported us in that decision.
Portland Westside

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility.

The clinic [ORM- Portland Westside] is small in size which feels nice. We were able to get seen within a month which is another pro. I feel like the clinic doesn’t understand that not everyone can afford every test and IVF. The clinic could have been a lot “warmer” in spirits since they are helping people through a very hard time in their life.... Our coordinator was a little forgetful. I had an HSG scan and was supposed to be prescribed and antibiotic for it and she forgot. She never really showed compassion when our IUIs didn’t work. It was nice to have just one assigned nurse though
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is small in size which feels nice. We were able to get seen within a month which is another pro. I feel like the clinic doesn’t understand that not everyone can afford every test and IVF. The clinic could have been a lot “warmer” in spirits since they are helping people through a very hard time in their life.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She could never remember details about my husband and I. We also felt like a number because she seemed annoyed with the questions I would ask her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
Our coordinator was a little forgetful. I had an HSG scan and was supposed to be prescribed and antibiotic for it and she forgot. She never really showed compassion when our IUIs didn’t work. It was nice to have just one assigned nurse though.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I felt like I couldn’t ask Dr hurliman questions because she seemed annoyed at the questions I would ask. I mentioned pain at ovulation and she said pain is different from one person to the next and didn’t even mention endometriosis. At my second IUI appointment our numbers were low and she was not positive about it at all and at that point referred us to a urologist. That was about 6 months ago and we haven’t been checked on once.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Beware if you are on the younger end of the scale because they won’t take you as seriously.
Describe the protocols Amanda Hurliman used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
We were to do IUIs unmedicated. The first one our numbers were great and it didn’t work, second round our numbers were bad and it didn’t work. Then she referred us to a urologist go see if we could improve my husbands sperm at all. If that didn’t work we would start down the road of IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.
Consult $350, iui with sperm wash $429, ultrasound $300, semin analysis $120, IVF consult $200
Portland Westside

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
This clinic [Oregon Reproductive Med] is in a good location that is easy to get to, it has parking right outside, and all of my appointments except one have started on time, which is important when fitting visits in alongside a full time job. They also have monitoring appointments available starting at 7AM.... They provide an out of pocket estimate. Pre-cycle testing 2-8k. Cost of one cycle is $20,200 plus medications. While my insurance does not cover IVF, they did cover all the IVF monitoring appointments with this clinic, so the cost of my canceled cycle was quite low.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This clinic is in a good location that is easy to get to, it has parking right outside, and all of my appointments except one have started on time, which is important when fitting visits in alongside a full time job. They also have monitoring appointments available starting at 7AM.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Clinic staff is easy to talk to, able to get appointments easily, listened to my previous experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
I ended up meeting with a few different coordinators even though I had one assigned to me. They were all helpful and able to answer questions about my protocol. When needed, they would talk to Dr. Barbieri and get back to me later in the day.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
I felt that she was easy to talk to and tried to be realistic about chances of success. When I did not respond to injectables, she urged me to cancel the cycle, which was upsetting, but after speaking with people who did do cycles with 3-5 follicles, I am very pleased she convinced me to stop given the expense and anticipated poor outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Have a realistic understanding of the chance of success.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Barbieri used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
I started on an IVF protocol. I had never done IVF before, had responded well to clomid with 2-3 follicles each time. My protocol was OCP for 10 days, then a few day break, started dexamethasone, followed by 2 menopur in AM and follistim 300 in pm. AFC was 16. I was monitored on day 3,5, and 7. By day 7, I had only 3 follicles responding well so was advised to stop stims and cancel the cycle. It was converted to IUI with vaginal progesterone, which unfortunately failed. Per follow up discussion, felt that OCP was oversuppressing so advice was to start stims again as a natural cycle with no OCP.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility.
Describe Elizabeth Barbieri's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
She strongly advised transferring a single PGS tested embryo per transfer. Given 3 miscarriages she wants me to do PGS testing.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility.

This clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is BEAUTIFUL. When a place has to become a second home, it's so great when it's as lovely as this office. It's conveniently located close to downtown so I can go to appointments on my lunch break. They work weekend mornings...They use a portal for messaging and billing that's SO helpful. Our entire experience has been completely positive...The entire nursing staff is amazing. They're compassionate and knowledgeable. They can answer all my questions, they respond promptly and never make me feel like a pain or like I'm crazy.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This clinic is BEAUTIFUL. When a place has to become a second home, it's so great when it's as lovely as this office. It's conveniently located close to downtown so I can go to appointments on my lunch break. They work weekend mornings so you're not screwed if you ovulate on a Saturday. They use a portal for messaging and billing that's SO helpful. Our entire experience has been completely positive.
I find his manner very sincere and caring. He is patient and kind, and obviously completely brilliant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Buxton)
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hesla has a wonderful way of using facts and science to give you a realistic expectation of treatment, but he does so in a kind manner that I appreciate, even when the news isn't great. He is thorough and detail-oriented. He also welcomed my questions and agreed to try procedures that could potentially improve chances at my request.
He is not an outgoing teddy bear or anything, but he is so smart and so compassionate. Go in prepared to speak with a professional who will do everything he can, but lean on your therapist or partner or mom for comfort :)
Cycle 1: Baseline ultrasound. Clomid 50mg on days 3-7 which produced one 29mm follicle, IUI timed with positive OPK. No pregnancy that cycle. Cycle 2: Got a cyst from the Clomid, had to pause treatment and wait for the cyst to go away. Cycle 3: Baseline ultrasound showed cyst was gone. Clomid 100mg on days 3-7, which produced 2 follicles over 20mm (our goal). IUI timed with positive OPK, still waiting on results. Will be switching to Femara for future treatment (if more rounds are required) based on my response to Clomid.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
My insurance covers everything until IVF 100%. I've been paying a $40 copay per visit, plus $99 for each semen analysis, since that lab is considered "Out of Network" for all insurance agencies.
Not yet applicable.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
The clinic [Oregon Reproductive Med] is very organized and clean. Everyone (billing, genetic counseling, front desk, nursing, etc.) is very friendly and willing to help you in any way. We've never had any issues or disliked any of our interactions with anyone. A dislike would have to be the limited, tight parking lot of the downtown office.... we spent about $32k on our IVF with PDG - this includes medications from an outside pharmacy.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is very organized and clean. Everyone (billing, genetic counseling, front desk, nursing, etc.) is very friendly and willing to help you in any way. We've never had any issues or disliked any of our interactions with anyone. A dislike would have to be the limited, tight parking lot of the downtown office. But I rather have tight parking at a great clinic, than easy parking at a mediocre clinic.
Dr. Hurliman has always been very personable. She always makes sure to give us her full attention making sure all of our questions are answered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy and Heidi)
When we first began at ORM, we had Katy as a nurse. She was amazing, and we loved her. Katy has moved onto other opportunities and Heidi took her place. Heidi is super nice. I do wish she communicated a little more, but in the end, I get the information I need - sometimes I just have to reach out and request it.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman has always been very nice and informative with us. She answers our questions completely never making us feel like an annoyance (no matter how ridiculous the questions are). Unfortunately we haven't had a successful pregnancy yet, but Dr. Hurliman is there with us every step of the way. She cares about our success just as much as us and isn't in this industry just to make money.
If you have questions, just ask! She will answer your questions thoroughly and completely.
We have done just about every treatment out there, so this may take a while... We first starting seeing Dr. Hurliman after our third miscarriage and learning of my unicornuate uterus. During the pre-diagnosis testing, we learned of my husband's chromosomal inversion. With these results, we assumed our miscarriages were a result of the chromosomal inversion so we embarked on IVF with PDG. We ended up with 1 balanced embryo (out of 10 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and were tested). We then had a failed FET. Since we didn't get the results we were hoping for, we decided to proceed with IUI with DS. Our first IUI cycle was unsuccessful (using Clomid). The next three months I used Clomid and Letrozole and proceeded to ovulate from my unconnected ovary. Since we were using DS, we didn't not proceed with the IUI those months. On our 5 cycle trying IUI, we used injectable medication to make both of my ovaries respond. This cycle went beautifully and we received a positive pregnancy test. Unfortunately, we miscarried at 7 weeks. Realizing my uterus was not going to be able to sustain a pregnancy, we decided to move forward with IVF with PGD and a GC. We retrieved my eggs, and fertilized half of the eggs with my husband's sperm and half with DS. Out of 13 fertilized embryos, 2 made it to day 5 (1 from husband, 1 from DS). Being able to see and compare the results from embryo with my husband vs. embryos with the DS, we learned that my eggs are vary poor quality. This was a complete shock because all of my other testing came back normal. Although this was a very disappointing discovery, we ended up with 1 balanced embryo and had a successful FET with our GC. Everyone was so happy - Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our excitement. Unfortunately, we lost the pregnancy at 8 weeks. Everyone was devastated - again, Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our emotions. Right now we are in the process on where to go from here and again, Dr. Hurliman is right here with us. This survey asked if we have received the results we wanted - I put it's too soon to tell because it's a hard question to answer. Technically, Dr. Hurliman has done a brilliant job and we have gotten pregnant twice. But in the end, we don't have a sweet little baby in our arms. Although we haven't gotten our happily ever after yet, Dr. Hurliman has done everything in her power to help us. She has been here every step of the way and continues to try and use the science to meet our specific needs. Although we haven't been able to reach our end goal, I wouldn't consider it to be Dr. Hurliman or her staff's fault - no matter how hard you try, sometimes science can't fix you.
I don't completely remember the costs, but I we spent about $32k on our IVF with PDG - this includes medications from an outside pharmacy.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Overall i think the clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is very professional as a whole and they all make sure they smile when talking to a patient which is so nice when you’re doing something that could be so difficult to stay positive... I do wish that their would be more financial support like some other clinics have.... We were assigned different nurses at different times but all our nurses were very professional and caring. They all were very organized and would set our schedules and would call us when certain things would need to be done and call us each time we had a result and discussed those results with us.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Overall i think the clinic is very professional as a whole and they all make sure they smile when talking to a patient which is so nice when you’re doing something that could be so difficult to stay positive in but their smiles I feel always help us without realizing it. I do wish that their would be more financial support like some other clinics have. For example I know some clinics give you 3 tries but if all theee fail, you get your money back or part of your money back. If they do have any, I’m completely not aware of it as no one ever mentioned it to us. If they want to really push IUI/IVF on you than they should have options like this.
I feel there’s never interest to find out why I am having recurrent miscarriages. They push IUI and IVF on us but we can’t afford to do another cycle of IUI (can’t even think of IVF as that’s not even close to an option) especially if it ends in a miscarriage again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
We were assigned different nurses at different times but all our nurses were very professional and caring. They all were very organized and would set our schedules and would call us when certain things would need to be done and call us each time we had a result and discussed those results with us. Overall we think the nurses there are great
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
De Hurlamin is very professional and pleasant. She always answers all our questions we have and if I ask her to explain something again for me to better understand, she always does. She is always smiling and I feel she is always is encouraging us that our day as parents is coming. A weakness we find in her though which we wish was not the case is that we feel in the end she always just really pushes for us to do another IUI (and IVF) without digging deeper on what our fertility issues are. We did a few IUIs with her already and If we had the money to spend on another IUI or possibley an IVF than heck, I would jump right to it like she wants to but we can’t just jump into it without being more sure on our issues and how we can avoid a miscarriage if we do get pregnant again when we are already baried in so many medical bills.
Always always ask questions, ask her to repeat explaining something if you need more clarification and be firm about certain testing you want done
Both my IUI cycles I took clomid (can’t remember the dosage), and a trigger shot before the IUI procedure. These both resulted in a failed IUI.
Most of our treatments were done in 2015/early 2016 so I don’t quite remember the exact amount but overall it costed us over 2000 for the two IUI and everything leading up to those
Describe Amanda Hurliman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.

Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
They [Oregon Reproductive Med] are extremely clean, organized and efficient. Their entire clinic is set up to allow for privacy and they are extremely organized not only in physical presentation but the steps you take to complete your visits is so well laid out (they have multiple levels to their building).... I have PCOS and Hashimoto’s. By simultaneously quitting dairy I seemed to reduce cysts on my ovaries. She had me take letrozole (day 3-7), followed by a mid-cycle ultrasound with an HCG shot to force release of egg.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I can not think of any weakness. They are extremely clean, organized and efficient. Their entire clinic is set up to allow for privacy and they are extremely organized not only in physical presentation but the steps you take to complete your visits is so well laid out (they have multiple levels to their building).
She is great, but she rushes her answers and her visit with you with great enthusiasm.
They are amazing. Due to the timing of my cycles, another team has completed them and they were all compassionate, comforting, and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Barbieri is an extremely knowledgeable Reproductive Endocronolgist and we are so glad to make the 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to Oregon Reproductive Medicine. On our last IUI, she noticed that my husbands sperm was low (as it was on the cusp the prior times) so instead of moving forward with another IUI, they referred us to increase his numbers before we continue with another IUI. The only thing is that she sometimes seems to be in a hurry but she will answer every question posed.
She will seem as though she is in a hurry, but she’s willing to explain and expand on anything that you need.
I had very partial coverages for some labs performed and ultrasounds. These costs are approximate as I currently have the bills with our tax preparer: IUI procedure alone was $295 - Ultrasound (I had to have 2 each cycle) $130 each - HCG shot $170 - sperm analysis/washing/prep - $160-$200- labs = $400+ - letrozole $15 - HCG = $500 - Fibroid removal $3,000
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
There were a couple of minor communication misses with my coordinator [at ORM Fertility], but nothing that a quick phone call or email didn't fix--if you have questions, just reach out and ask. Test results were delivered timely. The doctors at the clinic seem tp be up to date on research. The other doctors that I have seen (for example, for egg retrieval) have been equally as wonderful as my primary doctor.
European, Other
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is well organized. The nursing staff was always friendly and timely with answering questions or calling in prescriptions. There is generally early morning availability for blood draw appointments, which makes it convenient. There were a couple of minor communication misses with my coordinator, but nothing that a quick phone call or email didn't fix--if you have questions, just reach out and ask. Test results were delivered timely. The doctors at the clinic seem tp be up to date on research. The other doctors that I have seen (for example, for egg retrieval) have been equally as wonderful as my primary doctor.
Dr. Barbieri is able to speak directly about treatment and possible outcomes, but will also stop to ask how you are feeling. She remembers details about our lives outside of the "fertility world" and takes the time to thoroughly consider my questions before answering.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Barbieri is a good blend of a direct communicator and a compassionate doctor. She clearly communicates the risks and benefits of her treatment plan and will take the time to thoroughly answer questions. Dr. Barbieri speaks pretty quickly, so she may come off as cold or rushed to some, at least at first. However, she seems genuinely excited for us when there is good news and will take the time to comfort us when there is bad news. When I have approached her with questions about other potential treatment plans or possible testing, she has been open minded. When she disagrees, she has provided clear, research-backed explanations on why and generally proposes an alternative.
Dr. Barbieri may come off as distant or cold at first, but she has been one of the most compassionate doctors I have seen. Also, don't be afraid to ask all of your questions or express concerns.
My doctor communicated the statistics and the risks involved with multiple embryo transfer. I felt that she answered all of our questions objectively and directly, but ultimately the decision was left to us.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [ORM Fertility] is beautiful, clean, and located in a great place. They have a state-of-the-art lab and everything is done on site. The only weakness I can think of is the costs, as it's the most expensive clinic in the area...I've never had a problem being able to contact any of the nursing staff or my coordinator. They were always quick to return my calls, discuss the pros and cons of my treatment, and talk through my options with me...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is beautiful, clean, and located in a great place. They have a state-of-the-art lab and everything is done on site. The only weakness I can think of is the costs, as it's the most expensive clinic in the area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
While I felt like my care was kind of tailored to me individually, it also felt like I was initially put on a "cookie cutter" protocol. While my labs indicated I might be more of a poor responder to medication (low AMH, high FSH, etc), Dr. Bankowski still went forward with a "Good Responder Antagonist" protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Bankowski is exceptionally smart when it comes to reproduction and the way he explains things makes it very easy to understand. While it doesn't always feel like you're "talking to a friend/family member" when you meet with him, you implicitly trust him to direct your medical care, even if he doesn't give you the "warm & fuzzies." He's not the type of doctor who's going to give you a comforting hug if things don't go right or your receive bad news, but he is the type of doctor to do everything in his power to give you a better outcome next time. He is very straight and to-the-point with his communication.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Because he has been with ORM for so long and is often involved in various projects the clinic has going on, you sometimes have to work around his schedule if you are the type of person who only wans to see your one doctor. I would advise prospective patients to ask a lot of question and really push for his opinion.
Describe the protocols Brandon Bankowski used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
My first IVF cycle was a "Good Responder Antagonist" protocol. I think this is the initial protocol they use for most patients for their first IVF cycle. My stim doses were on the high end to begin and were increased to max after my first monitoring appointment on stim day 3. This cycle was cancelled on stim day 6 due to poor response. I am currently awaiting the start of IVF cycle #2, which will be a "Lupron Flare" protocol with doses for a patient in their 40's. (I'm early 30's) Hopefully this protocol will work better since I am apparently a poor responder.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility.
The cost was high, but worth it to get a state-of-the-art clinic and lab.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility.

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
They [ORM Fertility] are expensive, clean, and they tend to ask you the same questions repeatedly, which is anxiety provoking. They push taking out loans for IVF. Their parking lot is tiny and parking can be difficult. They are very slow about billing and you may not get the correct bill for 3-4 months as they bill you the full amount and slowly alter it based on insurance response. The lab work is paid up front with reimbursement based on later insurance response.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They are expensive, clean, and they tend to ask you the same questions repeatedly, which is anxiety provoking. They push taking out loans for IVF. Their parking lot is tiny and parking can be difficult. They are very slow about billing and you may not get the correct bill for 3-4 months as they bill you the full amount and slowly alter it based on insurance response. The lab work is paid up front with reimbursement based on later insurance response. This is very irritating and hard to plan for costs.
She was very caring and kind during our interactions. She also didn’t treat me like I was dumb. However, she didn’t make clear some treatment expectations and I did have multiple cycles where I didnt see her at all and instead saw one of 2 nurse practitioners.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
They only relayed the information they seemed to have printed off. They often forgot what IUI cycle number it was, which was stressful.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr. barbieri is very caring, it she left me anxious throughout. I hardly saw her and she left me thinking I would be “stuck” with IVF after 6 tries, which for my family meant we were done trying because we can not afford IVF. She never suggested supplements or any course of improving my body other than trying to lose weight and keeping my PCOS caused diabetes under control. I found out after 6 tries that she would do 6 more but that I should have also been focusing on my vitamin D levels.
Feel comfort in plans with printed timelines and instructions, but be prepared for a lack of customization.
Letrozole, trigger shot, ultrasound to check lining and follicle size, IUI.
Very expensive before insurance. $250 for an ultrasound, $80 for blood pregnancy test $250 for preparing sperm. They seemed to have a charge for every step of handling.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

So far, I have not found any weaknesses with the clinic [ORM]. They always get me in right away when I need an ultrasound (even on the weekends) and are always respectful and professional. I had an iui scheduled around Christmas time and was told that even if my period started Christmas morning to call them and they would get me in. I love the flexibility and support they provide.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
So far, I have not found any weaknesses with the clinic. They always get me in right away when I need an ultrasound (even on the weekends) and are always respectful and professional. I had an iui scheduled around Christmas time and was told that even if my period started Christmas morning to call them and they would get me in. I love the flexibility and support they provide.
He talked to me and my husband about our experience so far, what our hopes and goals were as well as what our fears and uncertainty are. He also shared his personal experience with infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
Each nurse interacted with was kind, patient and a good communicator. They did not make me feel rushed or insecure in any way and made a very uncomfortable situation feel normal.
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Fisher is great. He explains things so we can understand them and talks to us about risks vs rewards. He seems to really understand what we’re going through and seems to provide his honest opinion on best steps to take moving forward.
Be open about feelings, questions, concerns etc. Dr. Fisher is very smart and is good at explaining but don’t hesitate to ask questions or have him explain something in a different way. He likes to draw pictures to help show what he’s talking about
So far, we have done 4 rounds of IUI with Clomid. I developed cysts on the first two rounds and we switched medicine (I can’t remeber the name of he second medicine) and I didn not develop cysts again. When none of those cycles were effective he told us that the chances of another one working are very low. Because of our age and health he suggested taking a few months to try naturally again before considering IVF which we agreed with.
I do not remember exactly but my iui was around $500 per treatment after insurance

13 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
The clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] says it strives to achieve excellent patient care, and I feel that the staff is achieving this. From the receptionist to the medical records team to the financial coordinators...every staff member seems to truly care about me and my success. They perform their jobs with competence and with consistency. The only area where the clinic needs to continue to improve is with having the best nurses available for us. The first nurse that I was assigned to caused emotional hurt to me as a patient, but I can clearly see that the situation was taken very seriously and it is now in the past. I hope that my feedback during that situation resulted in that nurse growing as a provider. That would be my hope!
13 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Oregon Reproductive Medicine is, imo, the best clinic in the United States. The clinic says it strives to achieve excellent patient care, and I feel that the staff is achieving this. From the receptionist to the medical records team to the financial coordinators...every staff member seems to truly care about me and my success. They perform their jobs with competence and with consistency. The only area where the clinic needs to continue to improve is with having the best nurses available for us. The first nurse that I was assigned to caused emotional hurt to me as a patient, but I can clearly see that the situation was taken very seriously and it is now in the past. I hope that my feedback during that situation resulted in that nurse growing as a provider. That would be my hope!
Dr Hurliman always gives me the impression that she is dedicated to me as a patient. I've been so impressed with how thorough Dr Hurliman is pre-cycle testing to make sure that I have the best chance possible at having a healthy pregnancy and baby. When I sit with Dr Hurliman in person, I feel that Dr Hurliman is truly fully in the the room with me which means so much!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Haley Swanson and Andi Hockman)
I am currently under the care of Andi Hockman who is the program coordinator. Andi is meticulous with all aspects of IVF nursing care. She is highly organized, responds promptly to every communication, she is excellent at communication, she is extremely kind/sensitive/patient - Andi has never once acted upset at my many emails and questions. She has taken my concerns seriously and has taken it upon herself to check in with Dr Hurliman with my concerns though I have rarely asked her to. I feel 100% supported by Andi and Dr Hurliman.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I will always remember the first consult that I had with Dr Hurliman. It was by phone, yet she felt so close to me as we talked. I remember her saying, "We are here for you and we are going to support you on this journey to getting your baby." I could feel that her energy was genuine and I immediately felt a connection with her. The first time that I met with Dr Hurliman in person was for an invasive ultrasound procedure. I was touched by how emotionally present Dr Hurliman was - it made me feel so safe! I was also truly blown away by Dr Hurliman's ability to navigate my cervix and uterus. Dr Hurliman completed a procedure that when I had the same one years earlier, was excruciating. With Dr Hurliman, I did not feel a thing!! With Dr Hurliman, I have put myself into her hands 100%. For a woman who does not trust medical doctors very easily, this says a lot about the doctor that she is.
Dr Hurliman is going to ask you to give 100% to this process. She is going to require that you follow her protocols to a T and she's going to require that you complete extensive pre-cycle testing. Remind yourself that the reason she is doing this is because she wants what you want: for you to succeed! Place yourself in her hands and do what she asks. But, you have to be very assertive to make sure that you have Dr Hurliman's time, whatever time you need. Ask for what YOU need and don't worry about what other patients are doing. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and connect.
I am currently in cycle - We are doing an FET with an embryo created via donor egg.
I don't want to answer this question.
So many women doing IVF want to transfer 2 embryos. Not me! I want a natural birth and I want my pregnancy to go full term. Most of the twin births that I know of were preemie births. The babies were very fragile and the pregnancies were stressful. I agree with Dr Hurliman: transfer one only.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
I was told but the front desk to call their [ORM] billing office to set up a payment plan but when I call the billing office, they tell me they don’t do payment plans..... I had completed the IUI and I was leaving to schedule the blood pregnancy test in 2 weeks. I was told by the front desk that my account was on hold since I had an outstanding balance and was told I couldn’t make the next appointment...
East Asian, Other
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They just want your money. They don’t have any payment plan options. They want you to get tests done that are not necessary. They also double charge you on your account so you have to double check to make sure you were charged correctly. I was told but the front desk to call their billing office to set up a payment plan but when I call the billing office, they tell me they don’t do payment plans. Lots of comminication
Felt like I was just another number and all they cared about was money. I requested to have my HSG done somewhere that I knew was covered with my insurance and Dr.Hurliman wasn’t supportive of that. They wanted me to go to where they wanted even though it would be out of network for me
They were available to answer questions. My last IUI cycle, there was miscommunication. I had completed the IUI and I was leaving to schedule the blood pregnancy test in 2 weeks. I was told by the front desk that my account was on hold since I had an outstanding balance and was told I couldn’t make the next appointment. I was not given any options so I just walked out. 2 weeks later I got a call from the MA asking why I didn’t take my blood pregnancy test. I wAs very upset since my period had started so I knew it wasn’t working but also because I was told I couldn’t schedule the blood pregnancy test. Turns out they sent an order to a hospital that covers my insurance and expected me to go there for the lab draw but never told me.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Not much explaining unless you had all the questions. Only recommended Coq10 after 5 failed iuis instead of from the beginning. She didn’t have the answers to why the iuis were not working. She didn’t give me other options, other meds to take, or other treatments to do with IUI.
It’s nice to know what I could do at home to help with IUI success. Like recommending diets, supplements, alternative medicine.
The first IUI I did letrozole 5mg. My follicles were not mature. I increased to 10mg after the second IUI. I ovulated on my own the first 3 IUI treatments. The 4th cycle I had ovulated early so I had to miss a month. The 4th IUI I did the injection night before IUI and 5th iui no injection. All failed. The sperm analysis was up and down for all of the cycles
Very expensive no payment plan option.

IVF, Surrogacy
The coordinator that works with all independently matched intended parents and gestational carriers at ORM seems to be overwhelmed at times. I often wondered if she needed assistance from an additional staff member. Our coordinator did not move as quickly as we had hoped at times, but always eventually got things done, sometimes it took pestering. I do have very high expectations for this person though, given all the money we invested in the clinic.
IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM is a beautiful and highly rated clinic. I would recommend them in a heartbeat. Given that my husband and I don't suffer from traditional infertility, I cannot speak to the clinics ability to diagnose and address complicated fertility situations. I have a medical condition that make it very dangerous to my health to carry a baby, so we are forced to use a gestational carrier. Being that I was relatively young at time of egg retrieval (33), everything for us went pretty smoothly and we had the results that we hoped for. ORM is one of the top clinics in the country for surrogacy and we are blessed they are in our backyard. I'd use them again and recommend them to anyone needing ivf.
Dr. Barbieri is very down to earth, she related to me as a woman and told me that she herself used IVF to create her own family. She is warm and friendly but also very knowledgeable and knows the ins and our of the IVF and surrogacy process like a pro
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina Buck)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Barbieri is a true professional. She made me feel comfortable asking questions, drew pictures and graphs in her office to help me understand the process and what to expect. She set realistic expectations by explaining risks and potential outcomes.
I would tell a perspective patient of Dr. Barbieri's to be confident asking her hard questions and trust she will take the absolute best care to make sure you feel prepared going into your treatment.
I was on a "good responder" protocol for my egg retrievals. I used ganarellex, menopur and follistim. The first round of ivf, I had 26 eggs, 22 of them were mature. We did ICSI with my husband's sperm and had 6 blasts on day 5. We did PGS testing and had 4 "normal".
About $30,000 for two egg retrievals and one transfer to gestational carrier
Dr. Barbieri explained the risks of a double embryo transfer and advocated for the safest approach given our situation of not having a large number of banked embryos, so we will transfer one at a time. It is ORMs practice to leave it up to the intended parents if they would like to transfer one or two embryos.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
I like that they [ORM Fertility] had two clinics. It was very convenient for us. If there was a different doctor covering for Dr Hurliman it was always the same doctor which was nice. They were always well organized and very clean clinics... Our care coordinator was so sweet. She always remembered us and specific details about our treatment. Even the phlebotomist remembered us every time... In total it was about $32,000 out of pocket for egg retrieval and transfer
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I like that they had two clinics. It was very convenient for us. If there was a different doctor covering for Dr Hurliman it was always the same doctor which was nice. They were always well organized and very clean clinics
Dr. Hurliman and staff were always very helpful, just a phone call away. We drove over 2 hrs every appointment and never felt rushed while talking with the doctor or nurse.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Being treated by Dr Hurliman was a great experience. She was very candid about what treatments we needed and why. Going in we were sure we wanted to try IUI first but Dr Hurliman was very up front about how this wasn’t a good option for us and our chances of conceiving would be very thin. You can tell Dr. Hurliman also cares about you having a healthy pregnancy to term even after you leave their clinic. We wanted to transfer two embryos but with the grade of them being so high and the odds of me having multiples would have been very great. With multiples comes great risk, and Dr Hurliman layed our all the risks that could happen with us and made sure we were infirmary, but still let us make the decision on our own. Overall, the experience with Dr Hurliman was amazing and resulted the most perfect son for me and my husband.
I appreciate candid responses and someone who doesn’t beat around the bush. Dr. Hurliman is a great combination of “giving it to you straight” and compassionate bedside manner.
Ours was a pretty standard protocol. Birth control for a week or so, menopur, ganirelix, follistim, dexamethasone all leading up to the egg retrieval. Prior to the transfer it was birth control again for a week or so, then delestrogen twice a week for three weeks, then progesterone in oil started on the third week with Medrol and an antibiotic. After the transfer I continued progesterone in oil and added endometrin suppository.
In total it was about $32,000 out of pocket for egg retrieval and transfer
You could tell the goal was to minimize risks during pregnancy while maintaining pregnancy rate. Dr. Hurliman was definitely against transferring more than one embryo because the chances of multiples for me was so high.

3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is excellent--friendly, warm, organized, etc. They have great success rates, even though I wasn't successful there.... The embryologists are lovely, my clinical coordinator, Jenni, was wonderful. Just didn't like my nurse at all... She was cold and distant. When she told me that I had had a chemical pregnancy, she left a cold, compassion-less vm, at the end, saying "let me know if you have any questions or concerns..."
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is excellent--friendly, warm, organized, etc. They have great success rates, even though I wasn't successful there. I can't think of any weaknesses. I think it's a great clinic. The embryologists are lovely, my clinical coordinator, Jenni, was wonderful. Just didn't like my nurse at all
Dr Barbieri is pretty blunt and honest, which I appreciate. After my failed cycle, she was compassionate, but also not very encouraging. She seemed to want me to go somewhere else (to another clinic)
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie McLindsay)
I did not like Katie at all. She was cold and distant. When she told me that I had had a chemical pregnancy, she left a cold, compassion-less vm, at the end, saying "let me know if you have any questions or concerns..." Of COURSE I had concerns..It seemed like a stock vm to me. If I ever go back to ORM, I would request a different nurse.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Strengths: candid, clear, to the point, smart Weaknesses: always seemed in a hurry. After my failed cycle, she suggested I use a surrogate, which seemed way too early given that I have decent AMH, make embryos and am otherwise healthy. It upset me that she brought up that possibility so soon.
She's not warm and fuzzy, but she'll tell it like it is. She has full confidence in her lab and the clinic.
Antagonist protocol. Freeze all. Then transfer one embryo. I made 24 eggs. 6, 5 day embryos. Only 1 was genetically normal. One was mosaic. They transferred that one healthy one and I had a chemical pregnancy. They don't transfer mosaics.
20K I think for an IVF cycle
Portland Westside

Everyone at ORM from the front desk, phlebotomy, RNs, and Dr Bankowski made a point to always be present when interacting with me. I never felt rushed.... Strength. Everyone is there to make sure you have a positive experience. They are calm and supportive. They celebrate your victories with you. I really enjoyed that everything happened in the same building. I always felt comfortable because I knew exactly where I was going and what the environment would be like.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Strength. Everyone is there to make sure you have a positive experience. They are calm and supportive. They celebrate your victories with you. I really enjoyed that everything happened in the same building. I always felt comfortable because I knew exactly where I was going and what the environment would be like. Weakness. In Portland proper. I live and work in the suburbs so I had to commute into town for appointments before driving back to the suburbs for work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel )
Rachel was always clear and concise. She was available by phone anytime I had a question.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Bankowski has a way of being clear and direct while also calm and caring. My husband and I always felt we had a good understanding of every step. He provided us with multiple forms of education and I think that really helped. When describing things he would also make drawings and notes and we were always sent home with those notes. It was a great reference to jog the memory and help us feel empowered.
Listen. He has so much knowledge and great advice.
Egg retrieval: good responder antagonist protocol. Birthcrontrol for suppression. Dexamtheasone, ASA, menopur 1-2, follistim 150-200, ganirelix. Leuprolide trigger. Resulted in 13 eggs retrieved. All mature. Dr Bankowski had hoped for more eggs to be retrieved however met the goal for mature eggs. No Over stim symptoms. Eggs fetilized with icsi. 8 made it to day 5. Biopsy for ccs testing. One mosaic the other 7 are chrom. Normal all top quality embryos. FET: Deleatrogen no Lupron protocol. Birth control for suppression. Delestrogen 0.3-0.25, doxycycline, medrol 1 tab, PIO 1-2 ml, after positive pregnancy test slow transition to endometrin and taper off both that and PIO around 12 weeks gestation. Delivered at 42 weeks.
From our first appointment we had a very clear breakdown of costs. We met with the financial counselor the same day we met Dr. Bankowski. They provided an estimate worksheet that estimated cost at $28922 for all testing, egg retrieval, Icsi, ccs, FET, one yer embryo storage and freezing, meds. Our actual cost ended up being $28206.
Describe Brandon Bankowski's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
Dr. Bankowski very clearly outlined he pros and cons of single to multiple embryo transfers. He helped us make an informed decision based o our circumstances and risks that single embryo transfer was the beat choice for us.

2011 - 2017
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
The clinic is beautiful. The staff incredibly knowledgeable, organized and friendly. You are in great hands with your family building journey here...As a new patient, parking can be challenging so allow for time to find a space...Dr Barbieri is omen of the most compassionate and honest physicians I know....She takes the time to answer all questions and not just for us, it’s that way for every patient.... the time and energy at each appointment was maximized.
2011 - 2017
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is beautiful. The staff incredibly knowledgeable, organized and friendly. You are in great hands with your family building journey here, in my opinion they are the best. Remember everyone at the clinic is at a different phase of their journey, even when you feel like the only one. It helped to put it into perspective while sitting in the lobby awaiting the appt. As a new patient, parking can be challenging so allow for time to find a space.
Dr Barbieri is omen of the most compassionate and honest physicians I know. She was with me during times of happiness and provided support including “next steps or the plan” when the outcome was not what we had hoped. She takes the time to answer all questions and not just for us, it’s that way for every patient.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr Barbieri is incredible! From walking through each step of the process, answering questions prior to each procedure at the consult appointment, to providing plan when the result was ectopic or negative- she is wellness organized, kind and gives it to you straight, which is a breath of fresh air after years of unexplained infertility. She’s kind and straight forward once we had “done all we could do” she explained that hard topic to us as well. She never made me feel inadequate ORM dismissed my tears- very empathic though providing a plan, which helped us feel that the time and energy at each appointment was maximized. Because of Dr. Barbieri we have our little one and we are eternally grateful to her and ORM.
Know she is 100% invested in helping you grow your family while keeping you safe. Be prepared for honest direct feedback.
Too many procedures and protocols to list. 7 years is a long length of time. To list a few: hysteroscopy, IUI, IVF, endometrial scratching, endometrial biopsy, egg retrieval, ICSI
She provided the details of each respectively and we were able to make a mutual decision of transferring a set (2) resulting in our 1 child.

2013 - 2017
I can not praise my nurse [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] Megan Crow enough! 1st the reason I stick to same clinic was because of this wonderful nurse Mgan. She always explain to me treatment,answer my portal message right away and showed much compassionate. 10++ in my book I wish she was a DR lol. anyways ,the staffing team were great as well,they welcome me every time.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is organized, caring to patient. The only think is the front office sometimes does not know and wants to be helpful..for example,if wanted to the the balance and what I am due to pay and I get misinformed, but I think overall they try to be helpful . As a new patient if you have a financial question just ask the Financial coordinating team, instead of the front office ladies so there is no confusions.
The nurse always made me feel welcome,like part of the family!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Megan Crow)
I can not praise my nurse Megan Crow enough! 1st the reason I stick to same clinic was because of this wonderful nurse Mgan. She always explain to me treatment,answer my portal message right away and showed much compassionate. 10++ in my book I wish she was a DR lol. anyways ,the staffing team were great as well,they welcome me every time.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
PROS: Dr.John Hesla is a very compassionate man he showed me that he cares. Being a patient there for a while,I became like part of his family in a way,he got to know me as a patient. He has a tender voice that its not intimidating and at times, I felt reassure just with a smile from him. The only small CONS: is Dr.John Hesla is a busy Dr. at times I felt rushed through appts with him and not all my questions were answered.
I would say don't be shy to ask as many questions as you like,speak up if you feel you are being rushed out, because you want to leave the place inform not with questions all the time..
My protocol was always the same I belief conventional with antagonis: consist Follistum ,menupor Ganirelix trigger with HCG Novarel. I wish he tried a different protocol. It did help a 3 years ago and got a baby girl, but as I get older I think perhaps he should of try a different protocol agonist ,Lupron etc .
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Last year alone in 2017 cost of IVF/ meds over 26K over the years easly spend 40K+
always 2 embroys to transfer

1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Regardless of whether I saw my care coordinator [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] or not, they seemed to take very good notes so all staff was aware of last visits and conversations. Overall the staff was very helpful and willing to answer questions at any time.... Dr. Hurliman and her staff got to know my staff and I very well. They always referred to us by first name and asked questions about our weekends, family and hobbies.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth )
Regardless of whether I saw my care coordinator or not, they seemed to take very good notes so all staff was aware of last visits and conversations. Overall the staff was very helpful and willing to answer questions at any time.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
When my spouse and I began seeing Dr. Hurliman we were unsure of the future for us in conceiving our own children. She reviewed our records and provided a professional perspective without making us feel discouraged or overwhelmed. Her approach was always to educate and reassure. I never felt that she over promised things, she was very clear on the next steps and what results she thought we might see. By not over promising my spouse and I were never discouraged by results.
Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable; Dr. Hurliman and her staff really don't mind answering your questions.
Diagnosed with tubal blockage on both sides. ORM referred me to a specialist to have surgery. Prior to the surgery we decided to start IVF and freeze the eggs. My IVF cycle included; PM Dexamethasone, Prenatal, Aspirin, Menopur 2, Follistim 150 and Ganirellex. My cycle lasted 7 days. We retrieved 23 eggs and of those 23, 13 lasted past day 7. When met with the sperm we ended up with 7 embryos and after testing 3 were ruled out. Thus, our one cycle rendered 4 viable embryos. After my tubal surgery and recovery we scheduled a time for the embryo transfer. At that time I took Doxycycline twice a day, Endometrin and Medrol after the HCG trigger. First transfer was a success!
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

My experience at the downtown clinic [OR Repro Med] has been better than the west side clinic- better front desk, better coordinators, etc. be prepared to be shuffled around between many different coordinators...Several times I've been told one thing by the NP, then something entirely different by the coordinator (not MY coordinator, just whoever was there that day), then again something different from my doctor. It creates a great deal of anxiety for me, and is a source of frustration. Makes me feel at times as though I'm the first patient who has gone through whatever it is that they're disagreeing about.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
My experience at the downtown clinic has been better than the west side clinic- better front desk, better coordinators, etc. be prepared to be shuffled around between many different coordinators.
He's amazing, he calls me personally to discuss treatment plans, sometimes after hours. Goes out of his way to deliver excellent care. I really believe that he cares about me and my success with IVF
Sadly bc I have been a patient for so long, I have had some negative experiences w nursing staff. Essentially the problem is that when my coordinator is not in the office I have to meet w a different coordinator who doesn't know me, doesn't know my (long) history, and it's never a good experience. I wish that I could just avoid these interactions entirely and communicate w one coordinator only, even if it meant waiting a day or two to receive communication.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
I can't overstate how much I appreciate Dr.Hesla's care. From after hours follow up phone calls, to coming in on weekends (when he's NOT on) to see me at appointments, he has gone out of his way on many occasions to be sure I'm cared for. He opens his schedule early or stays late if necessary- and does so in an incredibly gracious way, without making me feel like a burden. I'd recommend him to anyone.
You'll be seeing his NPs for routine visits, but he will always make time for you when you need him.
I have never had a positive pregnancy test under Dr. Heslas care, and continue to hold the "unexplained infertility " diagnosis. We have tried natural and medicated cycles, single and multiple embryo transfers, using prednisone/antihistamines post transfer.... just no luck so far.
Retrieval w fresh transfer and CCS testing on remaining embryos $10k FET $1200
He will not transfer more than two embryos.

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
ORM runs like a well oiled machine (at least it presents that way!) They respond to you in a timely manner, they are all very helpful and compassionate and they make going through this whole process a whole lot easier...The nursing staff at ORM is the best. They are all very informed on where you are in the process and provide detailed answers for any questions you may have. They are great teachers too...ORM gives you a list of great acupuncturists that specialize in fertility.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM runs like a well oiled machine (at least it presents that way!) They respond to you in a timely manner, they are all very helpful and compassionate and they make going through this whole process a whole lot easier. They recently introduced an online portal which makes communicating with them even easier and its nice to be able to access your test results and go back to old emails that may have instructions.
Dr. Hurliman was very supportive through every step of this process. She was always very patient and explained in detail everything she was doing and answered any question that came up. She even took the time to personally call me when the results of my pregnancy test came in.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Schmitke)
The nursing staff at ORM is the best. They are all very informed on where you are in the process and provide detailed answers for any questions you may have. They are great teachers too. They go over your calendar (which can seem daunting at first) and how to do your injections in an easy to understand way. I am sure they have to do that a million times a day with each person, but they are always treat you like you're their only patient. Katy and Whitney were my two favorite nurses. They were always so nice and knew who I was. I imagine they deal with a lot of patients throughout the day, so it was always really cool that they knew who I was and were so friendly. Jeri was also an amazing person at ORM and really made this whole process a lot more bearable. She definitely helped me through some tough appointments. Anyone that gets to meet her should consider themselves very lucky.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I met Dr. Hurliman right at the start of what turned out to be the hardest year of my life. I had been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and still trying to figure out what that even meant. We were having trouble getting pregnant, but we hadn't been trying that long, so I wasn't convinced there was anything wrong. Since I had my MS issues, I thought it would be good just to get checked out. After my first couple appointments, I learned that I had all sorts of fertility issues. I started treatment and in the middle of it, my dad got really sick. I went back to California to help my mom take care of him, while still trying to do my injections and fly back and forth for appointments. I felt like I was calling ORM every day asking them what to do, if I could move an appointment, if I had to have a blood draw, etc. They finally told me it would probably be a good idea to just stop this round of IVF and pick back up when I was in a better place. It was the best thing they could have ever said to me. It was this weird relief and it allowed me to focus completely on my Dad. He was on in-home hospice and we were told he had about a year to live. He ended up passing away 3 weeks later, and I am so incredibly thankful I got to spend those last 3 weeks taking care of him with nothing else on my mind except that. Dr. Hurliman and her team were so compassionate and patient during this time. It was already overwhelming trying to navigate the fertility injections and going through everything with my Dad made it a million times harder. They answered my every phone call with nothing but warmth and it felt like they were going through all this with me. A few weeks later, my Grandma passed away and then my poor mother had a massive heart attack from all the stress of the last month and losing two of the people she loved the most. It was definitely a very sad, stressful time and writing this all out reminds me just how absolutely crazy it was. I started another round of treatment that ended up not working. I felt like it was kind of set up to fail based on the amount of stress and heartache that had happened in the months before. When I met with Dr. Hurliman to discuss the results, she was so loving and kind and just normal. She wasn't in doctor mode-- her reactions to everything were the same as my close friends. It felt good to have a real conversation about how hard things were. After that, she had a new plan to move forward and was confident that we could be successful in the next round...And we were! Fast forward to a few months later, Dr. Hurliman called me herself to tell me that I had a positive pregnancy test. It meant a lot that she took the time to personally call me and I think it shows a lot about what an amazing person she is and how invested she is in her patients I still thank my lucky stars that I got Dr. Hurliman as my Doctor. She is an incredibly smart, caring and compassionate person, and has a very calming presence that puts you at ease. Going through IVF sucks, but the way she handles things makes it so much better.
Dr. Hurliman will create the best path to success for you and you need to trust her and her plan. I would also recommend utilizing the resources ORM has to offer. I think when you find out that you have fertility issues, your first instinct is to become as educated as possible in your condition and the best way to get the results you want. There is SO much information online and in books that it can be overwhelming. Definitely do you research, but also take advantage of people at ORM like Dr. Sgarlata. He helped me refine my vitamin regimen and also provided insight on some lifestyle changes I could make to promote better overall health. It was very helpful. I also highly recommended acupuncture. I think it was one of the defining things I did that helped me to achieve a positive outcome. ORM gives you a list of great acupuncturists that specialize in fertility.
I had two embryos and Dr. Hurliman advised me to transfer one. She went over in detail the success rates of a single transfer vs multiple and we both agreed that a single transfer was best for me.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

The strategy at ORM seems to be strongly quality over quantity. I have no diagnosis outside of unexplained infertility. I was given an Antagonist protocol. I was started with birth control pills and doxycycline. Later I started dexamethasone. After my suppression check I was not quite suppressed enough so they had me do a few days of Cetrotide to get my estrogen levels down. That worked, so I then started all my injectables: Menopur (2) and Gonal F (150). On day 6 they added Cetrotide back. I did 10 days total of injections before I took my trigger shot. My doses were never adjusted, except on the final day when my Gonal-F was reduced to 75. At the egg retrieval, 11 eggs were retrieved and all were mature. 9 of the 11 fertilized. 5 of the 9 made it to day 5 and were biopsied/frozen for CCS testing. All 5 came back as normal.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I can't think of a single thing wrong with ORM. They are very clean, warm, professional, and thorough. The same staff is present all the time (i.e. they aren't too big), so you begin to recognize the same faces over and over. The waiting area is tactful and compassionate (i.e. no signage or environment cues to remind you that you don't have children). I loved that their office is available on weekends for appointments (at the Downtown location). The Westside location was very convenient for us during weekdays. Exam rooms are clean and calming. Meeting rooms/offices are professional but not cold/"sterile." They have an amazing genetic counselor (Serena!). And Westside has an amazing receptionist (Jennifer!). I just loved coming there, despite the reason for it!
I always met with Dr. Hurliman at each appointment, except at weekend appointments. I always received prompt return phone calls/messages whenever I had a question. Dr. Hurliman was always present when with me, well-prepared for the meeting, and felt very authentic in her communication style.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy)
Katy was incredibly kind, happy, and present whenever I met with her. She always responded promptly and thoroughly to my messages. I felt like she was genuinely sad/happy with me through the whole journey. She gave me whatever time I needed to ask every question I could think of.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She is amazing at explaining the process. Whenever we had a sit-down meeting, e.g. to discuss IVF, she drew out the whole process and we were able to take that image/notes with us. She gave us ample time to ask all our questions and never rushed us out, even when we sometimes went over time. It did seem like it took some time to build a more personal rapport with her, but as she got to know us better, I felt like her demeanor was more and more caring and gentle.
Don't be afraid to share the personal side of what this experience means to you, or your hopes and fears. She seems to respond well when a patient opens up a bit, which allows her to have a more personal relationship with you.
For our IVF (egg retrieval and frozen embryo transfer with ICSI and CCS testing), we paid approximately $11,500 out of pocket. I have good health insurance coverage for infertility treatment and medications.
Dr. Hurliman strongly recommended that we transfer 1 embryo, due to my age (31) and the lack of previous miscarriages.

Endometriosis, Other
Oregon Reproductive Medicine is a well-oiled machine. Sometimes it feels like you're on a conveyer belt but somehow they're still able to individualize care and make you feel like a human while they keep things efficient. From the very beginning you're assigned a nurse coordinator who becomes your "person" throughout the entire process...my only complaint is the new patient portal system they implemented 4 months ago.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I've been with this clinic for almost a year and my only complaint is the new patient portal system they implemented 4 months ago. It makes communication with your nurse coordinator a bit more difficult and makes everything feel a bit more impersonal. That being said, I know people have spoken up about this and they have heard the concerns and are working on fixing that issue. The patient portal is very convenient when it comes to having easy access to all of your test results.
Oregon Reproductive Medicine is a well-oiled machine. Sometimes it feels like you're on a conveyer belt but somehow they're still able to individualize care and make you feel like a human while they keep things efficient. From the very beginning you're assigned a nurse coordinator who becomes your "person" throughout the entire process. It's nice to have that one person who keeps in contact the whole time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Cox)
Our IVF cycle has been anything but typical because we found out during the initial testing that we needed to do PGD testing. Through all of the speedbumps and rough spots our nurse coordinator had been our rock. Communicating with her is so easy and she always gets back to us quickly. I feel like she has become a trusted friend.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Bankowski can seem a little intimidating at first but he is very friendly and great at what he does. I'm a type A personality. Planning, organization, and lists are how I thrive. I wanted to be involved and educated in the process so Dr. Bankowski was the best choice for us. He was great at explaining each step of the process in a way that my husband and I both understood. He always made sure to answer all of our questions and make sure we were comfortable.
Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions.
After testing and blood work Dr. Bankowski said that I was considered a "good responder" so he put me on the good responder antagonist protocol. I did a short suppression with 18 days of birth control pills, a baseline ultrasound/blood work 3 days later then started follicle stimulating hormones 3 days after that. Six days after starting those medications he added in gnrh-agonist that I took daily to prevent early ovulation. My follicles grew at a slow, steady rate and on Day 10 my leading follicles were all around 20mm so I used a lupron & HCG trigger shot that night for an egg retrieval 36 hours later. During the egg retrieval we retrieved 26 eggs, 21 were mature, 18 fertilized with ICSI, and 7 embryos made it to Day 6 for biopsy and freeze. We did CCS and PGD testing and we're currently awaiting the transfer of our one normal embryo.
They charge a base price for the IVF cycle and then add on for any extras such as ICSI, CCS or PGD testing, etc.
Our doctor allows up to 2 embryos depending on the mother's health and thoroughly counsels everyone on the risks of multiples.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
This facility [ORM Fertility] is clearly top of the line- the lab is excellent, the exam rooms and meeting rooms are great. Decorations are a bit over the top, but it feels like a fancy place. Their staff has their act together and works as a comprehensive team.... I loved our nurse: she was kind and compassionate and very understanding and knowledgeable. I felt like I was in very good hands (almost literally, sometimes she would walk me to a waiting area or the lab).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This facility is clearly top of the line- the lab is excellent, the exam rooms and meeting rooms are great. Decorations are a bit over the top, but it feels like a fancy place. Their staff has their act together and works as a comprehensive team.
Dr Hesla seems like a quiet genius- hard to get him to smile or connect, but you can see that he is really considering your case carefully when you're in the room. He was pretty no-frills about us as people, and more into discussing our medical case. He did bring our case to the rest of the doctor team, but we didn't get a lot of play-by-play regarding their opinions or advice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Strengths: he really seems like he is an expert at difficult cases like ours. Explained his rationale for choosing certain protocols, and then admitted when things didn't go as expected. Weaknesses: I wish we could have connected on a more personal level, but working with him felt more clinical and matter-of-fact than cold.
I think he holds your case more than holding your hand when you work with him.
1. Birth control with long Lupron: Lupron, Menopur, Follistim. Cycle canceled due to poor response. 2. Antagonist without BCPs. Menopur and Follistim, also with Dexamethasone. Added Ganirelix at the end.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Spendy, but they are very upfront about their costs. I believe we had a $20,000 up front bill that was then reduced from. In the end we actually got some money back because we had planned to do genetic testing on embryos, but never had any extra to test.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

I loved Katy. She was really responsive, always called me within hours of my appointment to go over my results and my protocol. She was really responsive and an absolute sweetheart....ORM was great- I went to the smaller clinic for the majority of my appointments, which had a smaller staff. That means that I saw the same person for blood draws every time, the same nurse, and my same doctor. I'm not sure if this is consistent with the larger downtown location. I also appreciated ORM's IVF orientation sessions (two of them, overview and injection training)- made me feel very confident in moving through the process.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I was very happy with my care at ORM under Dr. Hurliman. We had a very candid long discussion at the beginning of my treatment where she laid out all of my various options and discussed with me my ultimate family goals. I was able to direct exactly what I wanted to happen- she was willing to do more IUIs if I wanted, or to go straight to IVF. I felt like she was always very informed about my care, very excited for me, and very involved in my treatment. Immediately after my FET, I remember she came over to me and just rested her hand on my head in a very supportive gesture which was immensely calming- I felt like we were partners in my treatment. When that transfer resulted in pregnancy, Dr. Hurliman and the entire team were so excited for me.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I found Dr. Hurliman to be very thorough in explaining every step along the way and making me feel comfortable as we proceeded though the IVF process. I saw her for every single appointment but the egg retrieval, because ORM has the doctors share duties for egg retrieval. She did every single monitoring appointment and my frozen embryo transfer.
We started with an IUI while I was doing the basic testing (Clomid Challenge, etc.) Then we moved into stimulation for IVF- I did an antagonist protocol. I can't remember why, but I remember the pros/cons of antagonist vs. one of the lupron protocols were explained to me and I agreed with antagonist. I had 12 days of medication and monitoring because Dr. Hurliman wanted my follicles to develop. I retrieved 21 eggs, 19 of which were mature and 16 of which fertilized with ICSI. I had 8 embryos make it to Day 5, at which time they were biopsied for PGD testing and frozen. I had 7 embryos come back as chromosome-normal. For the frozen embryo transfer, Dr. Hurliman discussed that I could do a "natural" FET or a medicated FET. I chose the medicated because I wanted to make sure that I could control the date of transfer and because I didn't find the injections to be that bad. My single embryo transfer resulted in a pregnancy- I had frequent monitoring with Dr. Hurliman until I was released to my OB-GYN at 10 weeks pregnant. I wish I could have stayed with her for my whole pregnancy because I felt that I got MUCH more individual attention at ORM than at my OB-GYN.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility.
I was able to schedule my monitoring appointments for first thing in the morning, which worked best with my schedule.
I believe that the IVF was approx $16k, PGD testing of up to 9 embryos was approx. $5k, and my frozen embryo transfer was approx. $3k. Medications were approx. $2.5k.
Dr. Hurliman recommended that because I was doing PGD testing I only do a single transfer. We had previously discussed that I didn't want twins so I had never considered transferring more than one. She did go over ORM's statistics of eSET v. multiple embryo transfers for both PGD tested and non-PGD tested embryos.
Portland Westside

From the front desk staff to nursing and MDs [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine - Portland Westside], everyone was rather cold. General lack of compassion at the offices. Terrible experiences with the billing offices, had to demand to see a financial counselor and when I got to the meeting all she did was read me an email she had already sent me. It felt like she was completely unprepared, she was unable to answer my questions, it was a horribly frustrating experience. No information on prior authorizations from my insurance were obtained prior to my treatment deposit being due.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
From the front desk staff to nursing and MDs, everyone was rather cold. General lack of compassion at the offices. Terrible experiences with the billing offices, had to demand to see a financial counselor and when I got to the meeting all she did was read me an email she had already sent me. It felt like she was completely unprepared, she was unable to answer my questions, it was a horribly frustrating experience. No information on prior authorizations from my insurance were obtained prior to my treatment deposit being due.
I went for months without seeing her and didn't feel that she cared about whether or not I conceived. At no point did Dr.Hurliman contact me to ask if I wanted to continue IUI vs move on to IVF. I had to literally beg the staff to put me on her schedule to discuss starting IVF. I never felt like Dr. Hurliman had time for me or really cared about helping me move forward.
I had several different coordinators in my year at ORM. The staff turnover and inconsistencies made it very difficult to know who I was supposed to contact with questions. I felt like I just kept getting passed off to different people.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I didn't feel at all connected to Dr. Hurliman and tried to switch doctors but was told by the clinic manager that it was too late in my cycle to switch. She is difficult to get in touch with so for many cycles I was left feeling like I was in the dark regarding my care and my plan for fertility treatments. When I did have contact with her she was great at explaining things factually but lacked compassion and understanding. Her unavailability- both in terms of her time and emotionally- made me feel not cared for.
Don't expect to be able to reach her if you have questions or need more in depth explaining of testing or OF your treatment plan.
I decided that I would go on Clomid, she recommended the dose. I decided that I would do three IUIs- she performed none of them. I decided that I would move from IUI to IVF. None of this was "recommended " by my doctor- she never recommended anything, which made me feel like no one was "driving the bus"
We were able to use insurance for our treatments. An ongoing frustration has been that ORM did not obtain prior authorization for treatments before requiring my $12,000 IVF deposit. No one from ORM made any effort to help me determine what was covered and what wasn't until I demanded that it be done. I'm sure I wasn't the first patient to use insurance for IVF, but the financial office certainly did not seem as though this was something that they were familiar or comfortable with doing.
Portland Westside

The nurses [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] are all great. While I don't have one specific nurse assigned to me. Everyone I've had contact with has been thorough, very good at explaining, compassionate, organized and gentle (as far as the nurse who performed the IUI)...This office is very clean, organized, friendly and very helpful! I would say that the only weaknesses are that they are somewhat hard to get ahold of on the telephone BUT they always call back very promptly! ...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This office is very clean, organized, friendly and very helpful! I would say that the only weaknesses are that they are somewhat hard to get ahold of on the telephone BUT they always call back very promptly! You also have to pay attention closely if you e had any testing done at another office. They are very used to people starting their journey with them. I had all of my testing done in another state and even though it was all transferred prior to my first appointment I got one phone call from an outside radiology office stating that Dr B had sent a referral for me to schedule an HSG with them. I called and spoke to a nurse and she apologized and stated I didn't need another one. Had I just trusted that the radiologist office was right I would've paid for another $500 test that was unnecessary. I do believe it was an honest mistake on their part but it is a gentle reminder to be aware of everything you've had done already and always ask questions!
Dr Barbieri took a lot of time to explain our diagnosis and all treatment options to me. I've heard of other doctors only bring involved in the consult and never being seen again. I've seen Dr Barbieri at every appointment except the day of insemination.
The nurses are all great. While I don't have one specific nurse assigned to me. Everyone I've had contact with has been thorough, very good at explaining, compassionate, organized and gentle (as far as the nurse who performed the IUI).
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr Barbieri is very good at being present and answering every question you have. She is thorough at explanations and truly cares.
I'm currently in my TWW for my first IUI at ORM. DR Barbieri discussed that depending on my bodies response to medications we may do 2-3 IUIs. She explained she would tell me after the second one what her plan would be for us and then we would move on to IVF if we haven't gotten a BFP. She put me on 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days this cycle (due to my low follicle count in Arizona earlier this year) she explained that we could get too many mature follicles and have to cancel. She was very straight forward with this information. We ended up with one perfect, one almost big enough and two that might catch up so she explained again that we could trigger then or wait a few days and hope the other catch up and have a better chance. Again straight forward and made sure I was on the same page as her and wanted the same things. We waited a few more days and triggered with an Ovidrel injection. I had my IUI with a nurse yesterday and now we wait!!
My IUI totaled from cycle day 1-insemination approx $1,200 (including meds). You pay for each appointment separately at time of service.
Portland Downtown

My nurses [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out...The clinic is professional and welcoming. They have everything really streamlined compared to the first clinic we went to. There was a clear process for talking with clinic staff about insurance, financial assistance, scheduling, and medical questions...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Everyone in the office knew my name when I came in, including the receptionist, the nurses, and the phlebotomist. Dr. Hurliman was always professional and extremely knowledgable, and she was also kind. She took the time to ask us about other things in our lives besides infertility. She and the nurses happily answered all of my questions during my visits, and the nurses always responded to my calls and emails quickly. I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after survey to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather and Katy)
My nurses were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
After nearly four years of trying to conceive on our own and at other clinics, we made an appointment with Dr. Hurliman on a friend's recommendation, and from the first visit I knew we had come to the right place. She took a lot of time to talk with us and explained our options thoroughly. She did all of my IVF procedures including egg retrieval, a fresh transfer (two embryos), and two frozen transfers (one embryo each transfer). I always felt confident knowing she was orchestrating my treatment. I needed two surgeries while I was in her care, and she connected me with surgical teams that she trusted, which really put my mind at ease. Even though she didn't do my surgeries, she followed up with me about them before and after to see how I was doing. I went through a lot while I was in Dr. H's care, including a twin pregnancy that ended with one blighted ovum (empty gestational sac) and a complicated ectopic pregnancy. It is heartbreaking to lose a pregnancy after years of trying to conceive, and Dr. Hurliman recognized that. She had just the right mix of compassion and professionalism that helped me get through that devastating time. Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment. I conceived again after our second frozen embryo transfer, and I continued in Dr. Hurliman's care through my first trimester. If she delivered babies, I would have loved to stay in her care through my whole pregnancy!
To the extent that you can, you can stop worrying about the medical aspects of your treatment while you are Dr. Hurliman's care. She has that covered, so you can spend that energy taking care of yourself instead.
We had already been trying to conceive for four years when we started seeing Dr. Hurliman, and we went right to IVF. I received a detailed calendar for each cycle and treatment. It was really easy to follow my calendar, and when I had questions, my nurse always got back to me within a few hours.
I can't remember the exact cost of our IVF cycle, but we put down a deposit before the cycle started, which was nice because we didn't need to pay for anything during my appointments. The office also did a great job of billing my insurance. And even though IVF wasn't covered, a lot of the office visits and lab work was.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The ORM Westside clinic is fantastic! It is small and provides personalized service, the way it should be. From scheduling to the lab to the nursing staff, everyone knows you. You are not just another number in their system, you are a real live person, with a real live medical history...Both Katy and Heather (Care Coordinators) were AMAZING! It was so nice to have caring, knowledgable Care Coordinators, as they serve as the link between patients and doctors. We always knew we could reach out the Katy or Heather at any time and we would be responded to very quickly. In addition to us being very satisfied with Dr. Hurliman, these two made our experience with ORM very positive. Dr. Hurliman has a great team, and they two ladies are a vital part of making the practice was it is! ...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM's West clinic is small, which allows for very personalized service. Seeking fertility treatment can be a very scary and emotional process, but all of the staff at ORM was very friendly and compassionate throughout our entire treatment process. They knew us and our story, which helped us feel very comfortable and cared for. At ORM you are not just another number or patient, which is why fertility clinics should stay small. Small clinics with personalized service are few and far between when it comes to Western Medicine. Fertility treatments are a very emotional process for patients, keeping care personalized is imperative for successful outcomes. Thanks ORM!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane & Heather Fivas)
Both Katy and Heather (Care Coordinators) were AMAZING! It was so nice to have caring, knowledgable Care Coordinators, as they serve as the link between patients and doctors. We always knew we could reach out the Katy or Heather at any time and we would be responded to very quickly. In addition to us being very satisfied with Dr. Hurliman, these two made our experience with ORM very positive. Dr. Hurliman has a great team, and they two ladies are a vital part of making the practice was it is! They continued to reach out to us to check in throughout our pregnancy. Half way through my pregnancy we needed to changed OBGYN clinics and Heather and Katy were there to assist with referrals. We now see a OBGYN that we are EXTREMELY pleased with. Thank you Katy & Heather!
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is the best of the best! She is smart, thorough, and compassionate. We always knew what to expect next as she is great about compassionately communicating all potential outcomes, good or bad. We never felt as though we were given false hope, realistic expectations were always communicated to us in a very caring way. And we always felt that if we had any questions or concerns outside of our appointments we could reach out to the clinic and Dr. Hurliman would respond in a very reasonable amount of time. We would highly recommend Dr. Hurliman to an couples seeking fertility treatments!
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Hurliman is very knowledgeable when it comes to fertility treatments. She will give you the facts, without building any false expectations. She is an expert at what she does, but know that fertility treatments don't work for everyone. Dr. Hurliman will tailor your treatment plan to you and your needs, which is why open communication is so vital in the process. Ask questions and provide feedback.
I remember going to our first injection class, and we were the only patients in the class to be on a Good Responder Antagonist protocol. This was our first IVF process, and of course I was thinking there was something wrong with me because all the other patients in the class were on different protocols than I was. I was confused about why so many other patients were on Agonist protocols and I was not. When I asked Dr. Hurliman she explained in great detail why she had chose that protocol for me, giving me a piece of mind that she had chosen a protocol specific to me and my situation. For me, injections were never easy, and Dr. Hurliman knew that about me. So, prior to starting any new medication or injections Dr. Hurliman went over the purpose for each in detail to help us understand the process on both a small and large scale.
IVF is expensive, there is no doubt. But, all the costs were stated up front as best as possible. The wildcard in associated costs were what your insurance will and will not cover, specifically related to prescriptions. But, I definitely feel as though all associated costs were stated up front.

2013 - 2016
Katy [Nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team...
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It was very easy to check in and check out. The receptionist very early on learned who I was and would check me in without having to wait at the counter. The one issue I had with the clinic was it's billing process. At times it was very confusing - sometimes I would be asked to make a payment after a visit and sometimes I was told I was up to date but then would get a bill later in the mail. The bills were also very confusing regarding dates and what I was being billed for. The only other concern I had was with the scheduling. I would often ask for the earliest or latest appointment on a certain day and would be offered a time but I found if I said anything later or anything earlier? there typically was a later or earlier time available. So for new patient's, don't hesitate to continue asking about certain times if you need them rather than just taking what is offered.
Throughout the process she was always checking to see how we were doing emotionally. She also asked how life was going otherwise. Also even after a break from infertility treatments she remembered us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane)
Katy was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman was amazing to work with. I always saw her for my appointment except for one IUI transfer out of 6. Although many of our encounters were brief it was usually because I had no questions as she had already answered all of them. However, when needed she spent the time explaining things to us or in reassuring us about how things were going. She was always concerned about how we were doing emotionally as well as physically. I would recommend her to anyone!
Don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions. She does a great job at communicating but everyone has different questions and there is no way to cover everything for everyone. She is one doctor who will not make you feel stupid or like you are taking up too much of her time if you ask the questions you are wondering about so do it.
Initially we tried to IUI with medication and did 6 rounds. We did 6 instead of the standard 4 because of cervical stenosis problems making it unclear whether the first 2 were as successful as they could have been. Due to my age (relatively young) and no other known risk factors or reasons for infertility it was thought it could be secondary to genetic issues either with my eggs or my husband's sperm. For that reason, when we decided to do IVF she recommended (although did not push) that we do CCS. It turns out that was a good idea as we had a low yield of embryos as compared to the number of eggs that were retrieved and of those embryos half had problems genetically. I did have problems with mild ovarian hyperstim but do not remember the specifics regarding the medications.
Overall cost for the 6 IUIs was around $8000 including medication, ultrasounds, testing, and visits with Dr. Hurliman. 1 round of IVF with all the fixings =) (ICSI, CCS, medication, egg retrieval and transfer, tests, ultrasounds, visits with Dr. Hurliman, as well as post-transfer monitoring) was around $25,000. Insurance did not cover anything until after I became pregnant.

IUI, 1 IVF
Katy [Nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] is very responsive and a pleasure to have assisting with care. She was always ensuring I was aware of the next steps and would check up on us throughout the process. I could email Katy at any time if I had concerns. She was always willing to work through concerns or issues or share in the joy of procedures that went well. She was definitely a key component to making this process work and I couldn't have imagined it without her.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The Clinic is very professional and has a pleasant feel to it. Staff is very helpful and willing to assist in getting you the care you need especially if the person you need is away. They were willing to work with me when I confused the time of my appointment and worked me in. You will want to keep track of your own payments and charges as sometimes they can't see that you have a credit on your account and ask for payment. Once you mention it, they will resolve it. We didn't get to speak with a financial counselor but it all worked out in the end. So if financial topics are your concern, be sure to request a meeting with your financial coordinator. I never had problems working with the financial staff when I was confused about billings and they were always willing to assist. The phlebotomist at Westside is the best (Geri). She was always pleasant and reassuring when I was there which was often. The office are updated and always extremely clean. There is no doubt they care about you, your care and the environment that you receive it in. Weekend Nurse staffing is excellent and helped put me at ease if I had concerns.
Amanda and her team are very personable. She gets to know you and your family. The treatment is very personalized so they need to know your lifestyle and needs. It was a great experience.
Katy is very responsive and a pleasure to have assisting with care. She was always ensuring I was aware of the next steps and would check up on us throughout the process. I could email Katy at any time if I had concerns. She was always willing to work through concerns or issues or share in the joy of procedures that went well. She was definitely a key component to making this process work and I couldn't have imagined it without her.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Amanda is very thorough. She explained everything on the first day to us as if we had no knowledge of the procedures or options. Once we shared that we had done extensive research and knew what we wanted she skipped to details that would matter most to us. We explained we wanted to start as soon as possible so she immediately had us start the preliminary testing. This was very important to us as she was actually listening to what we wanted. The initial treatment was very smooth and as we inched closer to ovarian stimulation, we found a cyst which would push back egg retrieval. Though it was very disappointing, Amanda comforted us in the process and explained why it should be postponed and when we could start back up. I saw her several times during this process. Finally once it was gone, she continued the procedure just as promised. We even experienced an ice storm in the middle of the ovarian simulation process and were unable to get to an appointment the day before egg retrieval. Amanda thoroughly went through our his history and determined that the missed appointment would probably be okay, and it was. Egg retrieval was done the next day with another doctor but this was explained to us prior to it being done. Transfer was done roughly 6 weeks later with Amanda at the NW location which means she needed to leave her office to come to another facility for the procedure. She did a great job with the transfer, it was fast and professional. Amanda is extremely knowledgeable and has proven to be able to handle any situation that comes her way. I saw her most of my cycle with the exception of egg retrieval procedures. She was even willing to have a phone appointment. Thanks to Amanda, we are expecting a beautiful baby girl and baby boy in a few months. Amanda was so involved that we have promised to come see her once they are born!
It is very important to be straight forward with what you want or need. She is very good at adjusting her plan as needed so don't be afraid to talk to her about it.
We did the Ganirelix Protocol based on my test results. During the process, I took Doxycycline, Lupron, OCPs, Menopur, Ganirelix trigger shot, baby aspirin, daily injections of progesterone and twice a week injections of Estrogen (during and after transfer), suppositories of progesterone 3 times a day (after transfer). These were not all done at the same time. They were spaced as necessary.
Costs are patient specific. They are broken into pre-treatment testing, phase 1 which will include any exams and egg retrieval procedures, Phase 2 which is your basic transfer charges. ICSI, Genetic Testing and other procedures you opt for will be in addition. The finance team will give you a great breakdown of the costs. Prescriptions are paid to the pharmacy you pick it up at and is not included in the cost estimate. Be aware if your cycle cancels, you will have additional costs due to the increased number of exams and visits. Acupuncture may be recommended so note that will be paid separately as well... but completely worth it. The first deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 1 and the second deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 2. All RML (laboratory) expenses are paid to ORM and they will coordinate payment to the lab.
Portland Westside

Katy [nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] was completely on top of it! We absolutely loved her and are so thankful she was our nurse. She was always available to answer questions we had (which were many) and I knew she was always just a call away. She was so incredibly supportive, caring and informative. I honestly can't express enough how much I appreciate her and the rest of the staff...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I have nothing but positive things to say about this clinic. From the Dr.'s to the receptionist we had nothing but postie experiences with everyone.
I felt as though I had a relationship with Dr. Hurliman where I was able to completely trust that she cared about us and truly wanted to see us through as parents. I felt like she truly knew us on a personal level and could tell when I was worried or nervous about something without me even having to say that I was and she took the extra time to explain things to me as well as encourage me without giving false hope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy Shane)
Katy was completely on top of it! We absolutely loved her and are so thankful she was our nurse. She was always available to answer questions we had (which were many) and I knew she was always just a call away. She was so incredibly supportive, caring and informative. I honestly can't express enough how much I appreciate her and the rest of the staff
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is a compassionate and caring Dr. that you can tell truly cares about her patients. She explained everything to us throughly and I never felt like I was uninformed about what the plan was or what the next step would be. Going through fertility help was one of the most difficult and heart wrenching experiences I've ever gone through and I needed a Dr. like her that was gentle and caring but also didn't give false hope. I felt like I knew what we were up against but I had a team that went beyond my husband and I that was going to do everything in their power to give us our dream of becoming parents.
Go into the experience knowing that if it is possible they will get you there! Expect a caring Dr. that will keep you well informed and wants the best for you.
We were very hesitant to go do ivf and wanted to try several cycles of iui first and use ivf as the absolute last result. Dr. Hurliman let us do 4 or 5 cycles of iui before we went into the ivf process. During that time I was on letrozole and trigger shots and my husband was on clomid. Once we started the ivf process my husband continued the clomid while I started on injections and birth control. I do not remember all the names of the meds during this time or the dosage
It was over $20,000

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
[Oregon Reproductive Medicine's] West side is great. I feel like the downtown location is sometimes lacking in bedside manner as far as the nurses and receptionists are concerned. The phlebotamist at the west side location (Jerri) is my favorite. She just makes the whole thing easier... loved Heather. She gave me her e-mail and I was able to do a lot of corresponding with her that way....So expensive! IVF in total was probably about 20K with ICSI, No CCS testing. fresh transfer
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I like dr. Hurliman and her staff at the west side location. She is always friendly and honest. You have to be assertive and ask questions, otherwise a lot may be left unexplained or unsaid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Fivas)
I loved Heather. She gave me her e-mail and I was able to do a lot of corresponding with her that way. She was always prompt, and compassionate. No question was too small which I greatly appreciated. She was so down to earth and made me feel as if all of my fears and questions were perfectly reasonable.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is a very nice woman. Like many doctors she is sometimes over burdened. I had to make sure and ask questions, otherwise I sometimes felt that things were not thoroughly explained. She is good at explaining things and I fell like she gave us all the facts, with reasonable expectations.
Ask questions! Be your own heath care advocate. Sometimes she gets busy, remind her, or ask questions.
My husband and I had 3 rounds of IUI. One with Chlomid and two with Femara. Both were unsuccessful. We tried naturally for 6 months, then proceeded to IVF with ICSI with a fresh transfer. I responded well to the femara and chlomid so I was put on a good responder antagonist protocol which was perfect for me. I deviated from my original IVF calendar by only one day of additional meds. We did a fresh transfer and I am now 5 weeks pregnant.

8 IUI, IVF
ORM [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is great. From the front desk staff to the physicians. They seem to be very organized and are always able to help. What I liked them about them is that I did not have to wait a long time for my initial appt. I originally called a local hospital system that has a infertility clinic. They told me they could not schedule me until half way through the month when the next months schedule came out. They said they would call me. In the mean time, I called ORM and was able to get in within 1-2 weeks. That other clinic NEVER called me back to schedule.
8 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM is great. From the front desk staff to the physicians. They seem to be very organized and are always able to help. What I liked them about them is that I did not have to wait a long time for my initial appt. I originally called a local hospital system that has a infertility clinic. They told me they could not schedule me until half way through the month when the next months schedule came out. They said they would call me. In the mean time, I called ORM and was able to get in within 1-2 weeks. That other clinic NEVER called me back to schedule.
I never feel rushed when I have an appointment with Dr. Barbieri and she always answers any questions we have.
The nursing staff is great! Very responsive, very nice. They have always returned calls in a timely matter (even on weekends).
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
My husband I are very happy with Dr. Barbieri. She is straight to the point but also very encouraging and hopeful. She takes the times to listen to our concerns/questions. We never feel rushed when we see her.
We started with IUIs. Our diagnosis is "unexplained". We got pregnant after our 3rd IUI but it ended up being ectopic. We had to wait several months after that for the medication to get out of my system/run its course and then we started IUIs again. She even let us do one additional IUI because we asked for it. Unfortunately, it did not work out for us. We have now moved onto IVF.
We have spent about $6500 for 8 IUIs (includes, initial consult,testing,meds and procedure). We have spent about $22000 for IVF/ICSI (includes appts/consults, testing and meds). Our insurance only covers items that diagnosis infertility (basically just the testing), does not any cover treatment.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
ORM is a big machine and they produce results. Each doctor has his or her own approach and it is important to find the best fit for you and your partner. This process is extremely stressful and riddled with uncertainty, but the ORM staff does their best to be supportive during every step. If you have an issue or concern about a caregiver or staff member, it is important to mention it a.s.a.p. so that it can be resolved quickly. Even at the best clinic, you have to be your own advocate.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Dr. Bankowski was extremely empathetic with our situation and very clear and concise about the IVF process. His confidence, extensive knowledge and experience are what drew us to him and his practice. He kept us informed every step of the way and always set realistic expectations. Both my husband and I would consider him a friend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie Green)
Katie was great, but cautious and always set realistic expectations. She was a fantastic support for me during this stressful time and I leaned on her a lot. She is extremely knowledgeable and very responsive. The rest of the nursing staff was wonderful too; I can honestly say that I made some friends during my time at ORM.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
I saw Dr. Bankowski at almost every visit, which was important to me. He was very personable and genuine and always left me feeling informed and confident about the next steps.
Dr. Bankowski can come across as a little too confident and it can be mistaken as dismissive. Ask the questions that you need answers to and make sure you have him elaborate on his reasoning. He is confident because his experiences and education allow for him to be so, but again, if you have concerns, make sure you get answers.
I had a good AMH and FSH and my follicle count was always on par or higher for my age. 36. I was considered a “good responder” because of my test results. Also, my cycles were always normal and I achieved 3 natural pregnancies prior to seeking treatment. I was on the antagonist protocol, menopor, gonal f and cetrotide. I stimmed for 10 days before my egg retrieval. I had 23 follicles, 17 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and all fertilized with ICSI (our choice, not required). By day 6 we had 4 embryos to send for testing and 1 was chromosomally normal. I can currently pregnant with that little girl.
We paid an estimated $30,000 for IVF, ICSI, CCS and FET.
Portland Downtown

[Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is a high-volume, very professional and well-organized clinic. The systems in place for scheduling, testing, and monitoring are very efficient. The support staff is knowledgable, helpful, and informative...I cannot say enough about my primary nurse/IVF coordinator and the whole nursing staff. They were accessible and responsive by both phone and email and were always willing to answer my questions, address my concerns, or assuage my worries. They were extremely compassionate and seemed very invested in our success.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This is a high-volume, very professional and well-organized clinic. The systems in place for scheduling, testing, and monitoring are very efficient. The support staff is knowledgable, helpful, and informative.
Dr. Bankowski paid close attention to our history and was willing to adjust treatment protocols based on what he thought would work for me. He was warm and willing to take time to answer our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Roxanne)
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Bankowski is confident, knowledgeable, and informative. He had a clear idea of what treatment was appropriate for us given our history, but was willing to discuss our questions, concerns, or hesitations. Although our appointments occasionally felt a bit rushed, in general he showed care and concern for our experience.
Ask questions about what specific protocol/treatments are appropriate for you given your history, and come prepared with specific information to give him about your fertility history.
For my retrieval, Dr. Bankowski used Menopur, follistim, and ganirelex, given that I had had good results on that protocol before. The protocol worked well. 17 mature eggs were retrieved, which resulted in 5 blastocysts and 3 genetically normal embryos. For my transfer, Dr. Bankowski used progesterone in oil and delestrogen. This was the first time I had used that protocol and I am pregnant with twins.
Portland Downtown

The nurses at ORM are very nice! They handle a large number of patients so it is important for the patient to ensure test order are received... Dr. Barbieri's communication style is succinct, to-the-point, and no sugar coating.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM is a very nice clinic.
Dr. Barbieri's communication style is succinct, to-the-point, and no sugar coating. This might induce the patients to feel that she is not warm or catered to their feelings and needs. However, she is extremely dedicated to her patients (she talked with me about my treatment plan during her maternity leave), cares about their well-being (she told me to slow down from my hectic life), and spends the time to think about the best course of action for her patients.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Strengths: - Competent - Really cares about her patients - Dedicated - Willing to work with patients to determine the next course of action / protocols when setbacks / disappointments occurred - Succinct communication Weakness: - Does not give a very warm bedside manner that some people require - Very busy
Although she might not give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, she really cares about her patients, is competent, and is willing to work with them, unlike other clinics. Do spend the time to think about the questions to ask, do the right research, and work with her as a team.
A total of 4 cycles: #1 - Antagonist protocol: OCP for suppression, 8 days of 150IU Menopur and 150 IU of Follistim, Dexamethasone , Ganirelix, Novarel for trigger. 9 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 3 reached blastocyst stage. #2 - (to increase the number of eggs) OCP + Lupron for suppression, 12 days of 150 IU Menopur, 300 IU of Follistim, 5 units of Lupron, Novarel for trigger. 15 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 1 reached blastocyst stage. #3 - Estrogen Priming (to increase the number of eggs and egg quality) - Estrace, 13 days of 150 IU Menopur, and 300 IU of Follistim, 33 units of Omnitrope for the first 7 days, Dexamethasone, Lupron / HCG mix. 25 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 0 reached blastocyst stage. #4 - Antagonist protocol: OCP for suppression, 10 days of 150IU Menopur and 150 IU of Follistim, Dexamethasone , Ganirelix, Novarel for trigger. 12 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 2 reached blastocyst stage.
Without insurance, it is about $15K for egg retrieval (including CCS), $4K for frozen transfer. Medication is about $3K.
Portland Downtown

It's [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice...I love the nursing staff and especially the phlebotomist, Sarah. I HATE getting my blood drawn, but she's amazing! Always made me laugh and it rarely hurt or left bruises....Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It's a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice.
When I first met Dr Barbieri, it was overwhelming and I didn't feel 100% connected. It's so emotional as a patient to hear you will unlikely get pregnant on your own, but the doctors see this everyday! Over time and as we moved forward with fertility treatments and we spent more time together, I felt less like another case and more like a friend she was helping. I ask a LOT of questions and have a lot of feelings - she was patient and caring with me.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor. She fully knew my case and predicted outcomes to treatment - I wouldn't go anywhere else
Give it time, ask questions, and listen to her advice.
We did 5 rounds of IUI. #1 was successful (clomid) and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. #2-5 were unsuccessful. We tried femera instead of clomid for one cycle to reduce side effects, but I produced less follicles. For IVF I was on an antagonist (good responder) protocol. It produced 21 eggs, 19 fertilized with ICSI, and 12 made it to day 5/6. We put two in immediately that didn't stick. Tested 10 with CCS and 7 were normals. Did a Natural FET with 2 and became pregnant with twins. At the 6.5 week ultrasound Baby A was healthy, but B had a weak heartbeat. B stopped growing by the next week. Baby A is a year old and 100% healthy.
Portland Downtown
The [Oregon Repro Med - Port W] clinic itself seems well organized including check in and check out processes. Initial confusion about parking was handled very well. My first appointment there I was disappointed to have the front desk person assume "You must be here as an egg donor." I guess it's because they assumed I was so young I wasn't infertile, causing me embarrassment to have to tell them this. There were also screaming toddlers in the lobby, seemed in poor taste...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic itself seems well organized including check in and check out processes. Initial confusion about parking was handled very well. My first appointment there I was disappointed to have the front desk person assume "You must be here as an egg donor." I guess it's because they assumed I was so young I wasn't infertile, causing me embarrassment to have to tell them this. There were also screaming toddlers in the lobby, seemed in poor taste.
IVF was discussed in our first appointment, despite no indication of anything wrong. Scheduling was a nightmare, they often wouldn't offer times/days until the last minute, and I never had a choice about when I could come in. I guess they assume no one has a job? I typically had a 50/50 chance if the nursing staff would call back the day I called, which exponentially increases stress since they don't want you to call until day 1 of your cycle to discuss scheduling. I often had to call them myself on issues after waiting days past the time they said they would call me.
When I would go into the offices they were friendly, good at drawing blood and providing comfort. I often felt dismissed on the phone. I had a very bad experience after being told some labs were abnormal that "they weren't abnormal enough to change anything" despite me finding multiple sources of literature saying otherwise. I was even inaccurately told that maybe the labs were abnormal because I wasn't fasting. Which one, they never told me to fast and two, the lab confirmed with me fasting wouldn't affect the results. It completely lost my trust.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
I believe Dr. Barbieri's strengths included being straight forward and compassionate. Her weaknesses seemed to be dismissiveness of worries regarding abnormal labs or bringing up studies showing something different than the recommendations.
It would make a big difference if it seemed like the goal was to find the cause of infertility rather than just starting treatment regardless of the cause.
We were recommended to immediately start clomid + HSG + injection trigger + IUI. The rationale provided was it was because we were "unexplained" and I had trouble finding peak days on ovulation tests.
An IUI cycle was quoted around 2k for each one. And IVF in the range of 20K

3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
The weakness [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The weakness is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
He and his staff were great! While very factual, they were warm and caring. They understood how much each step meant to us and knew there was more to this whole process than just facts and science. There are hearts and emotions involved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie and her team were great! I felt bad for her because she would even check emails and respond when she took minimal vacations etc...she never got tired of asking my million questions. she always seemed very happy and helpful.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
He was very honest and straightforward but warm and caring. He would present information very neutrally, giving you facts with no bias. Then offer his opinion but never felt judgemental. I also never felt rushed with him. He always took the time to answer questions.
Feel free to ask him anything. He will answer honestly.
Hard to remember details even though I lived and breathed them at the time. If feel the first Roy d I was offered a natural cycle (less meds -because I still had a very healthy cycle) or what I would call a very straightforward protocol. I was too scared to do the natural one. I felt the straightforward approach would assist more. I had a miscarriage and then next round did more of an allergy protocol. It included Claritin and antihistamine and some other drugs that was to help the body not attack the embryo. But not heparin or anything to that degree.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility.
Most of my monitoring was done in Ny.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
I feel like the 1 retrieval and 2 transfers was 30,000 more or less. That included genetic testing and icsi

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
ORM is a relatively small clinic and he definitely knew who I was and what my case was about. However, he is slightly odd and a bit cold. He almost never looked me in the eye and seemed incapable of answering a question directly, which was frustrating and at times made me feel unimportant...t's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push do
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push donor eggs fast rather than trying to work with a complicated patient.
Megan is an amazing, very experienced and knowledgable nurse. I would highly recommend her. She is not super warm and fuzzy but she obviously does care about her patients. At one point I was switched without warning from Megan to Katy, a very inexperienced nurse. Katy was sweet but clearly did not have the experience that Megan did and seemed overwhelmed and flustered by my questions. I am not an easy patient but I don't think I'm out of the ordinary, either. I think Katy will be a great nurse in time but I did not like being switched to a new nurse in the middle of treatment and requested to be switched back to Megan. My request was honored.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
He is overall a very good doctor. I think he lacks communication skills which can be frustrating. As I stated previously, he almost never made eye contact and seemed unable or unwilling to answer questions directly. I had limited access to him as a patient. All my questions for him were relayed through my nurse. In order to speak with him directly with questions, I had to set up an expensive appointment. My situation is complicated and Dr Hesla was not able to help us conceive. We had unexpectedly bad IVF results -- everyone was shocked. He ran a few tests that seemed to make sense but didn't really know how to advise us on next steps based on the results of the tests. He basically shrugged his shoulders and wished us luck. We ended up going to a different clinic. He didn't have a lot to offer a complicated case. I think for simpler situations he's probably great.
If you have a relatively straightforward case of infertility, Dr Hesla can probably help you. If your case is complicated, I would seek a different clinic. He is the most experienced and knowledgable doctor at the clinic but the clinic itself has its limitations. I would also advise prospective patients that they should be prepared to receive a clinical and slightly cold demeanor from Dr Hesla. He didn't seem capable of or interested in showing a great deal of compassion.
I started with a straightforward IVF cycle: BCP followed by 150 Follistim 150 Menopur with a Lupron trigger. I ended up not being suppressed at the suppression check after 1 month fo BCP. I actually got pregnant that cycle naturally and had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage, he put me on Lupron 20 units for suppression then 10 units during stims along with 150 Follistim 150 Menopur. I think the protocol was over-suppressing for me but it did make sense as a first IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
ORM is a fairly expensive clinic. I think our IVF cycle came to roughly $17K.
Portland Downtown

In my opinion, the weaknesses of this clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] include an overall lack of compassion for patients, improper billing of insurance, failure to explain treatment options and procedures thoroughly without prompting. The strengths would be that it's open every day if you need to get in for an appointment.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
In my opinion, the weaknesses of this clinic include an OVERALL LACK OF COMPASSION for patients, improper billing of insurance, failure to explain treatment options and procedures thoroughly without prompting. The strengths would be that it's open every day if you need to get in for an appointment.
Dr. Hurliman always seemed rushed when I saw her like she had to move quickly in order to get to another patient. She wouldn't readily give information out, it felt like I had to dig for answers and ask all of the questions.
The best person at ORM is the phlebotomist. She drew my blood perfectly, on the first time, every time. I just felt lost in the shuffle by the rest of the staff at ORM.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
As a patient, I feel like there was an overall lack of a compassionate bedside manner. This does not just apply to Dr. Hurliman, but to most of the staff I encountered at the clinic. I definitely felt like I was just a number and a dollar sign. For something so personal to me and my husband, I feel like Dr. Hurliman knew nothing about us as people and didn't even try to get to know us. In and out... as quickly as possible.
Take time to get to know your patients. Offer more information... not just when prompted by questions. It's hard to know what to ask when you're just starting down the infertility path.
Dr. Hurliman only prescribed clomid for me with IUI's. I wish she would have told me injectibles with IUI were a possibility. I was probably on clomid for too long, according to my new RE, who switched my protocol immediately upon reviewing my case.
As mentioned before, ORM will make you pay up front for some things (like medication) without billing your insurance first. My insurance was not too pleased with that protocol.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
...I did have some issues with billing [at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] that were resolved quickly. I was sent a few bills for misc. things when I had already paid the deposit. I contacted the billing department and they told me to ignore the bills they were an error. After I became pregnant I had to contact billing for a refund of the credit we had with them. This was not an issue, just something to be aware of...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Very pleased with Dr. Hurliman, nurse Heather Fivas, and the rest of their staff. I did have some issues with billing that were resolved quickly. I was sent a few bills for misc. things when I had already paid the deposit. I contacted the billing department and they told me to ignore the bills they were an error. After I became pregnant I had to contact billing for a refund of the credit we had with them. This was not an issue, just something to be aware of. It's not automatically refunded after a successful pregnancy. Also, when we first became patients at ORM my husband went in to provide a sperm sample for freezing, and he was told he needed to take a few tests before he could leave his sample. He didn't realize that ORM hadn't received our medical records from Kaiser yet, and he had already taken the tests - $500 wasted. Make sure ORM has received your medical records before leaving sperm samples!
Dr. Hurliman and her team really care about their patients, and I received amazing support during my three IVF cycles.
I LOVE Heather!!! I always looked forward to seeing her at all my appointments. Sitting and talking with her was like talking to a lifelong friend. She cares so much about her patients, and would do anything to help me during this very difficult process. I truly don't know what I would of done with out her. She made a huge difference in my treatment. My husband was out of town a lot for work during my IVF cycles, so I had to administer all the shots to myself. I kept messing up my doses, and Heather would always laugh with me and show me what I was doing wrong. She even drew a bullseye on my rear end for the progesterone shots. One cycle I did 8 shots a day, the other two I did six. It was such a stressful time, and I wanted to make sure I did everything correctly. A few times I cried in frustration to Heather, and she always did anything she could to help. I had difficulty with one med in particular, and for my last cycle she even put all the doses in syringes for me so I didn't have to worry about getting it right. After I got pregnant, and I would come in for my scans to make sure everything was alright, I remember her waiting outside my door with tears in her eyes hoping for good news. Heather was rooting for me every step of the way. She will forever have a friend in me. She went above and beyond her role at ORM, and I will forever be grateful to her. Love that girl!!!
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I did three IVF cycles with Dr. Hurliman, and she was amazing throughout the entire process. I was diagnosed with DOR a few months before my 34th birthday. We were trying for our second child, and the diagnosis totally devastated me. I cried through the entire first few meetings my husband and I had with Dr. Hurliman. She was very kind, but let me know that my chance of success was more in-line with the over 43 year old group (my FSH was very high 21.42). Dr. Hurliman suggested donor eggs would be my best chance of success, but I wasn't ready for that and wanted to try with my own eggs. Dr. Hurliman listened to me, and we came up with a plan to move forward. I never felt that she pushed donor eggs on me, and I greatly appreciated that. However, she did provide realistic expectations - My chance of success using my own eggs was low. My first two cycles were canceled at different stages of the IVF process. My third IVF cycle wasn't looking much better (only 2 mature follicles). Dr. Hurliman gave me the option to cancel that cycle or proceed. I decided I had zero chance of success if I didn't try, so I went forward with the retrieval. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development, but I decided to proceed with the fresh transfer. On the day of the transfer I remember telling my nurse Heather “It’s a beautiful day for a miracle." I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. There were many times during this process that Dr. Hurliman could of gave up on me. With my high FSH she could of refused me service from the time I first walked in her door like many other fertility clinics would of done, but she didn’t. She could of let me know I wasn’t a candidate for IVF using my own eggs, but she didn’t. She could of canceled my third cycle without giving me the option to proceed, but she didn’t. Dr. Hurliman never gave up on me, and I love her for it. I wouldn’t have my miracle baby without her. She is a brilliant doctor that listens to her patients, laughed with me on the good days, and offered compassion on the tough days. I always felt like she was on MY team. I wasn’t just a number. She deeply cared about me and kept tweaking my IVF cycles/meds to try and help me succeed in having the baby I desired so deeply. I have tears in my eyes as I’m writing this. It was a rough year, but we did it Dr. H!!! My baby girl is perfect in every way, and we love her so much. There are no words to express how grateful we are to Dr. Hurliman. I highly recommend her to anyone needing fertility services.
Get as healthy as you can for your fertility treatment(s). I lost 25 lbs., ate only organic foods - lots of fruits and vegetables, followed an alkaline diet, eliminated foods from my diet (sugar, caffeine, wheat, dairy and alcohol), took a bunch of herbal supplements & Chinese herbal tea, walked an hour or more daily, quit my job as a graphic designer to reduce stress in my life, listened to the Circle+Bloom IVF & IUI relaxation and meditation CDs every night, and did acupuncture twice a week (moxa sticks & hot foot baths too!). I'm not sure if any of these things helped or not, but I know it helped me emotionally. Gave me a sense of control in a situation I had no control over. It helped to be working toward something. Dr. Hurliman didn't suggest theses things specifically, so do your own research and try things that make sense to you. Even if it seems crazy - who cares! Dosen't hurt to try things. I know I was desperate for a successful outcome, and now I have my little miracle.
Me = 34 years old; Diagnosis = DOR; AMH = 0.33; FSH = 21.42; Husband = Low sperm count. IVF Cycle 1 = Lupron 40 Flare with Omnitrope protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. We thought we had 4 mature follicles, but ended up just having 3 mature eggs at collection. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development so we gave it an extra day. It arrested and the cycle was canceled. IVF Cycle 2 = Antagonist protocol converted to HMG/IUI. Follistim 150. Only 2 mature follicles, so we thought we could do better and canceled the cycle before egg collection. The IUI was unsuccessful. This was the 4th IUI I tried (3 with my OBGYN before I came to ORM - all unsuccessful). IVF Cycle 3 = Estrogen Priming Antagonist protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. Only two mature follicles, two mature eggs collected, one egg fertilized, and day 5 it was a day behind in development but we went ahead with the fresh transfer on day 5. I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. I am so thankful to my ORM team!
ORM 3 rounds of IVF (2 rounds canceled at different stages) = $28,551.00 Medications = $16,256.67 Acupuncture = $3,600 Oregon Anesthesiology = $1,134 Labs/IUI's outside of ORM = $1,458.33 TOTAL COST = $51,000 Kaiser only covered the IUI's we did with them - Not our IVF treatments. The itemized info above was 100% out of pocket. Worth every penny!!!

3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Easy access to his [Dr. Hesla] nurses who gaff fast response times to my emails and calls. If I needed to talk to a doctor, whoever was in call was able to reach me quickly, even at dawn. Staff [at Oregon Repro Med] members, who I interacted with the most, were all kind, helpful, and effective... I was an out of town patient so I did my initial blood work and work up in my home town instead of Portland. The office had to fax in my medical orders for the week to my office. After the first time they forgot to fax my order,
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
great success rates. Must follow up with nurses to make sure all the work up is in schedule. Worth going to this clinic.
Easy access to his nurses who gaff fast response times to my emails and calls. If I needed to talk to a doctor, whoever was in call was able to reach me quickly, even at dawn. Staff members, who I interacted with the most, were all kind, helpful, and effective.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
Very responsive and kind. I was an out of town patient so I did my initial blood work and work up in my home town instead of Portland. The office had to fax in my medical orders for the week to my office. After the first time they forgot to fax my order, I had to make sure that they had faxed the orders each week. There was one or two others times when they had forgotten. Nevertheless, compared to other office's staff, these nurses were golden.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Dr hesla is talented and was informative about my low ovarian reserve condition. He gave us a less than 5 percent success rate because of my age and condition. He recommended PDG but because I had been able to obtain two or three embryos in the past, I declined. I explained that it wasn't worth the money with so few embryos and he agreed. I appreciate that he considered my thoughts on that procedure. He is very brisk in his bed side manners. However, that never bothered me. I am only interested in results. He was able to get me the highest number of embryos with the best quality. I now have a two year old daughter and a frozen embryo that is cryofrozen. I can't recommend him enough.
His manners may be brisk but if that's ok with you, he's an effective endocrinologist.
He prescribed human growth hormone, when that was still allowed in fertility treatments. I don't know whether this was the procedure that did it but i had the most number of embryos with the highest quality among my three fertility cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Around $6000 out of pocket, which wasn't covered by insurance. I think total amount was around $25000.

2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
While I was in New York, Julie was my liaison with ORM, via both phone and email. She was incredibly organized, kind, patient, and absolutely my cheerleader. No question was too small for her, and she responded to my needs or requests immediately. She had a lovely sense of humor, and was able to strike a wonderful balance of "business-like" efficiency and friendly communication...Dr. Hesla was an extraordinary doctor, not only in terms of his medical knowledge and expertise but also in the deeply kind and respectful way he treated me, listened to and addressed my concerns, and championed my goals.
2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
**Exceptional doctors, embryologists, nurses, and coordinators. **ORM's stats for live pregnancy way exceed those of clinics on the East coast -- at least they did in 2007/2008. At that time, the best stats by FAR were at ORM, CCRM in Colorado (where Dr. Hesla of ORM trained), and a clinic in San Diego whose name I cannot recall. **Their labs were modeled after Intel clean rooms -- I think that's the term for it. **Their attention to detail is extraordinary. Example: Before my transfer, Dr. Hesla did a mock transfer to gently test different tubes and see which flowed the most smoothly through my cervix and would provide the smoothest ride for that little embryo. Who does that? They do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie - care coordinator)
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
By the time I had my first consultation visit with Dr. Hesla, I had been through a lot -- 2 1/2 years on the pregnancy journey, four failed IVF cycles, and a miscarriage. I was doing this whole thing as a single woman, I was tired and worn down, and I wasn't sure if I could have any more hope of having a baby. I nervously approached the possibility of using a donor egg with Dr. Hesla. From the very first moment, he gave me a sense of possibility and warmly and positively reviewed my case history. He listened well and used just the right amount of gentle humor to lighten what had become a pretty heavy topic. He was not pushy, and it was clear that he did not have a God complex like some RE's do. He was smart, experienced, respectful, warm, positive, and communicative -- in that very first meeting and in every subsequent interaction I had with him (in person, on phone, or via email) over the next 15 months. When I decided soon after that visit that I would in fact pursue conception with a donor egg, he got genuinely excited for me. He was extremely involved in selecting, examining, and green-lighting possible egg donors for me, and ultimately, he was the one who found and matched me with my donor. I had already reserved one woman via an agency that the clinic works with closely, but became hesitant when they cycle she did before working with me didn't go that well. I remember Dr. Hesla wrote to me and said he had found someone he thought would be a terrific donor match for me. He said "she's 28, lovely and smart, beautiful like you, and has had great results in a past cycle." It was so kind the way he did it -- and I did end up going with that donor, to great success. I'll never forget the experience of my transfer for this final and successful cycle. As I lay on the table in the transfer room (like an OR?), classical music played softly and the lights were dimmed so that the environment was as relaxing as possible. Dr. Hesla came in wearing his scrubs, of course, greeted me, and then went to the side of the room where there was a pass-through window to the embryology lab. When the embryologist passed the tube containing the embryo that was to be transferred, Dr. Hesla received it gently in two outstretched hands as if he were being handed the last butterfly on earth -- and he walked back across the room holding it with such care and reverence that you could see it. Two nurses stood near where I lay, and the embryologist came into the room and held my hand for the entire procedure. It sounds ridiculous or over-the-top to say this, but truly, they made a medical procedure feel sacred. This was (and is) the caring the humanity of the team at ORM.
I live in New York City, and had worked with a local doctor for four unsuccessful cycles before opting to work with a clinic on the West coast, ORM, and Dr. Hesla. The advice I would give a prospective patient who is having trouble conceiving in another part of the country would be: don't wait and only travel to work with Dr. Hesla after you have put yourself through possibly unnecessary pain and hardship. Go to him sooner.
Because I was 44 and, despite high doses of "stim" meds had had four unsuccessful IVF cycles, Dr. Hesla concurred early in my first consultation with him that, if I was willing, donor egg would be the right strategy for me. Back then, I used to be able to recite every detail of every protocol for every cycle -- but, blessedly, years later and with a sublime 8-year-old boy who is the light of my life, I can't remember the exact medication protocol. But since it was my egg donor who was getting the stim meds and doing the egg retrieval, my protocol was simply to sync with her cycle and then build my uterine lining. I do remember that while all IVF cycles involve progesterone injections after transfer, Dr. Hesla was especially aggressive with progesterone and prescribed both the injections and progesterone suppositories for several days (can't remember how long). He said "we've gone to a lot of trouble to get you this far, so I don't take any chances."
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
I don't remember exactly -- it's a blur of high expenses, obviously. I think that they cycle probably cost somewhere around $10,000, but then of course I had additional expenses to the donor agency, the acupuncturist, travel between New York City and Portland, hotel in Portland, etc.
Deciding whether to transfer one or two embryos was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in my entire life. The reason was, as a single woman, I was terrified of having twins, which would have been more than I could handle or afford. Using my own eggs, which were of lesser quality, I always transferred as many embryos as looked good even to get one possible implantation. But since my ultimate cycle was a donor egg cycle, I knew the embryos were grade A and healthy, so there was far more likelihood of success for each and every one of them. I was scared to transfer 2 and end up with 2, but I was also tremendously scared to do an eSET and end up with 0 -- in this, my absolutely final cycle that I would ever do. Dr. Hesla was extremely understanding and talked this decision through with me fully. He told me ORM's stats for eSETs and told me that while it was fully up to me, the quality of my embryos were good enough that he would endorse either decision. I rolled the dice and went with a eSET -- and was rewarded with a solid implantation and very healthy pregnancy.
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
When I went to this clinic [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW], it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together...
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
When I went to this clinic it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together. I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after tr I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after our transfer, my pregnancy test and then released to see my OB/GYN we had a lot of extra bills from the clinic that we knew we were not responsible for. They were extraordinarily helpful and helped us resolve the issue. But receiving bills that were not correct after-the-fact was stressful.
When I first met Dr. Hesla I was incredibly frustrated because I had been to many physicians who could not figure out what was wrong with me, my body or why I continue to miscarry. Dr. Hesla was the very first position to actually partner with me in this process. That makes all the difference in my book. He did not appear to be put off or challenged by my myriad of questions I asked throughout my cycle. He was extraordinarily patient. I was one of those challenging patients, and that did not seem to faze him at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Anne and Joan)
I had complications during early pregnancy before I was released to A maternal-fetal specialist. I had a lot of bleeding and they were really good to us – especially me and keeping me calm throughout that whole time period. They always return phone calls and emails- they would check in to see how I was doing. I always made time for me to come in for ultrasound when I began to have complications. They were just all-around compassionate and kind . I couldn't avast for a better team.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hesla was one of the very first care providers that I have had that said to me with great confidence that conceiving was very possible using donor eggs. He admitted to me with my past track record of miscarriages that keeping me pregnant would be a challenge – but together we could succeed. He gave both my husband and I hope. He is very confident in his ability. We found him to be brilliant - he thinks outside the box and we liked that very much. He was warm and compassionate. I didn't feel like a number and his office. I felt valued. He was almost as excited about us having a baby as we were!
Don't be put off if you have to wait to see him - meaning if it takes a bit to get into his office it's well worth the wait. It's helpful to have your questions ready to ask during your appointment. And he is very accommodating at answering the questions presented to him in a very thoughtful and patient manner. He doesn't gloss over anything. He's very detail oriented. And me being an anxious person I got to the point where I actually manage my anxiety very well and would not get overly concerned about anything unless he became concerned. We trusted him that much.
This was my first Egg Donation cycle. I knew nothing about protocols and I really had to trust my doctor and this clinic to lead me through a successful a donor cycle. They helped me select my donor, which was a big help because I was incredibly overwhelmed by the entire process.
Portland Downtown

I love being on the west side clinic [of Oregon Reproductive Med] because it is way smaller then the downtown clinic. It is quieter. And by sheer volume, it more personal. You do need to go downtown for injection class, IVF retrieval, and on weekends if you need an ultrasound, but we love not having to go downtown every time.... Our IVF with PGS testing was roughly $20,000. That did not include the medications which were about $4,500
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I love being on the west side clinic because it is way smaller then the downtown clinic. It is quieter. And by sheer volume, it more personal. You do need to go downtown for injection class, IVF retrieval, and on weekends if you need an ultrasound, but we love not having to go downtown every time.
Dr. Fisher explains things really well. He is relatable, he shares experiences that him and his wife dealt with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
The staff was caring and compassionate. They all have been so kind. I enjoy each of them. I am a difficult blood draw, and they took extra time to make it as easy as it could be.
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
I felt the experience could not be any better. We are still waiting to move forward with a frozen embryo transfer. But when I hear stories from other clinics and doctors, I am quite pleased with my experience with Dr. Fisher. He has a great best side manner, he is humorous. His office makes sure I feel prepared and know the next steps. He is patient with questions.
Just be open and listen, he will try to guide you. He will work with you to get the best plan for you.
I did 2 rounds of clomid combined with IUI. I did 1 round to femera with an IUI. Then I did a "good responder" protocol with IVF egg retrieval including menopur, follistim, and Gonal-F
Dr. Fisher will definitely promote only single egg transfer, he was supportive to making a decision with me, but laid out thoughtfully why he felt it was best to move in that direction.
Portland Westside

This clinic [ORM] is excellent at organization and scheduling. They are on top of everything. My only suggestion is more clarity with the billing department and insurance support. We missed having 3 rounds covered by insurance because they didn’t follow through in time. ... For 5 rounds of iui with some partially covered by insurance, we have spent around $4,000. ... They [Nursing staff] were all fabulous. Super nice, accommodating, and sensitive. ...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This clinic is excellent at organization and scheduling. They are on top of everything. My only suggestion is more clarity with the billing department and insurance support. We missed having 3 rounds covered by insurance because they didn’t follow through in time.
Dr. Fisher is really personable and kind. He made us feel welcomed and heard during our initial consultations. He has a light humor about him that makes him come off as being warm. I only wish that during our actual IUI procedure day he would have talked to us more, rather than just in and out in a matter of minutes.
They were all fabulous. Super nice, accommodating, and sensitive.
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at ORM Fertility?
Our experience as a patient has been good. Dr Fisher is nice and always has a smile on his face when he sees us. He makes light conversation during appts which is nice and can ease the tension. I sometimes wish he would just talk about fertility stuff with us instead of what we did on the weekend, but over all he is very warm and makes being a patient of his easy.
Ask more questions and know what comes after each treatment.
We’ve done 5 IUIs, all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. The first 4 rounds were with a double dose of Clomid, the 5th round it was bumped up to a triple dose. First four rounds I used a trigger shot to ovulate. The 5th round I ovulated on my own.

2012 - 2018
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I feel that ORM is personal even though it is a bigger clinic. My questions were always answered quickly. I felt like I was compassionately taken care of as a patient. Their embryologist is top notch. She communicated clearly with us around retrieval and transfer. ...We worked with multiple nurses and surrogacy coordinators. I felt that they knew me as an individual and supported me a long the way. They were easy to reach and connected with us along the way.
2012 - 2018
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I feel that ORM is personal even though it is a bigger clinic. My questions were always answered quickly. I felt like I was compassionately taken care of as a patient. Their embryologist is top notch. She communicated clearly with us around retrieval and transfer. I will always speak highly of their staff and my treatment.
Dr Hesla took the time to evaluate my condition fully. He was always ready to discuss things further on the phone or through email. He contacted us personally after each two week wait to go over our results. He was always helpful with all our questions.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Dr Hesla went over my complex history fully. He listened to my concerns and needs. He helped me to see two high risk OB’s for additional opinions if I should carry a pregnancy. He was always ready to answer questions and give details about treatment. I appreciated that he was always willing to give information on current research in the field to help us feel like we understood our best, most up to date options. He was kind and supportive through our hardest moments.
Ask questions
Our protocol seemed pretty straight forward. I don’t recall doses, but we were able to monitor locally.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Each time we were given a clear estimate of costs for retrieval, medicine, monitoring, transfers, and storage.
Dr Hesla provided appropriate information on the value of eSET. All of our transfers were single embryo transfers.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
They [ORM Fertility- Portland] are on the expensive side but have good success rates. I felt that they went above and beyond and are worth the cost. Parking can be difficult. They whole staff was wonderful to work with. Occasionally I wished they would call with test results more quickly.... We did an estrogen primed protocol, I have low ovarian reserve, and only one full ovary so it was to make sure my eggs could grow, as well as due to my age. We would have tested embryos but we never had more then 2 so we just transferred them to save the cost of testing. But she was very aware of and sensitive to all emotions during the process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They are on the expensive side but have good success rates. I felt that they went above and beyond and are worth the cost. Parking can be difficult. They whole staff was wonderful to work with. Occasionally I wished they would call with test results more quickly.
She was very kind and gentle and when I was pregnant the baby was measuring small and she knew there was a possibility of miscarriage and I appreciated that she gently told me so that I wasn’t completely surprised when it happened.
They were warm and helpful
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
She has a wonderful bedside manner and made me feel like an important patient. I truly felt that she was heartbroken for us when things didn’t work out. She also recommended realistically that we move from IVF to embryo donation and isn’t encourage us to do mor costly treatments when she expected us to get similar results
Ask all the questions you can think of. Knowledge helps.
My first cycle including testing was about $18,000. The next was cheaper because we didn’t have to redo testing. So more like $12000
She let us choose, by did describe all risks

Poor Egg Quality, Other
The transition between the two locations [Oregon Repro Med] is both convenient and difficult. It's nice to have a consistent location where you go every time, but I enjoy the fresh change meeting at a different location. The rotation of doctors conducting the procedures can seem daunting but there are several sets of eyes on your case.... Every member of the team is very supportive. I feel that they are invested in our success and have felt the disappointment with the lack there of.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The transition between the two locations is both convenient and difficult. It's nice to have a consistent location where you go every time, but I enjoy the fresh change meeting at a different location. The rotation of doctors conducting the procedures can seem daunting but there are several sets of eyes on your case.
I feel like Dr. Hurliman is very invested in our case. She has been very supportive and I feel she is truly rooting for us to have success.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
My wife and I have had many struggles throughout this process. Dr. Hurliman has always been able to give us hope that the next step will work. Each step of this process is difficult to cope with and process. Dr. Hurliman has been able to aid us through the hurt of not yet having success and instilling hope for the next attempt. Each time we have a set back Dr. Hurliman has been able to adjust our process to give us the best chance for success.
Be patient. This process doesn't just happen over night, and it is easy to get caught up in the instant gratification environment of today. Dr. Hurliman takes time for your relationship to build but with patience it is a rewarding one. She is. Invested in her patience.
Portland Westside

Roxanne [nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is very friendly and compassionate. She is a good communicator and I always leave the appointments very clear on what my next steps are...The clinic is well appointed, clean, and comfortable. All the staff are friendly and caring. I have never had any negative issues with them. I also particularly like their financial coordinators who have made the process of figuring out how to pay for all of this significantly less stressful than it otherwise could be if they weren't organized or friendly communicators.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannel Adams at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Adams has impeccable bedside manner. She is friendly, warm, and thoughtful. She remembers me and I feel very well cared for by her.
Roxanne is very friendly and compassionate. She is a good communicator and I always leave the appointments very clear on what my next steps are.
How was your experience with Shannel Adams at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Adams is new to ORM and to being an RE in that she recently graduated. However, I trust her knowledge and have always felt comfortable with her course of action for me. She is friendly, warm, and thoughtful. I would absolutely recommend her to friends and/or family.
Describe the protocols Shannel Adams used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Adams recommended an estrogen priming protocol for me. Unfortunately this protocol had the exact opposite effect it was supposed to have. So, when I went in for my Day 2 u/s, I only had two tiny follicles. I do have diminished ovarian reserve, but in past cycles I've had 5-6 follicles. She was very surprised by this and has told me to come back in with my next period at which time she'll measure my follicles again and see if it is time for us to start the medications.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannel Adams at ORM Fertility.
The deposit was $13,000
Describe Shannel Adams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
Dr. Adams recommended transferring two embryos if I created that many. However, my plan has always been to have CCS testing done on the embryos and then only transfer one.
Shannel Adams
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shannel Adams at ORM Fertility.

2011 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
[ORM's] New location is more centrally located. While I'm sure they are trying to make it feel calm and spa-like, it feels a bit sterile in the waiting area. Procedures, equipment, etc are all top-notch, though. Very good success rates. There was 1 embryologist in 2014 that was a bit cold/blunt when mentioning that one of the embryos didn't survive the thaw. Not sure if she is still with the clinic, as there was a different (much nicer) one I saw this last time. But overall no complaints.
2011 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Soft-spoken doctor who looked directly at me when speaking. We are long-distance so he called or Skyped to answer questions. Was willing to switch to a more affordable medication.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie Ryles)
Everyone was excellent.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
I was only on-site at the clinic for the donor FETs, as we live in a different state. But each time he seemed fully comfortable with my case, my history, etc. Always asked about my husband & kids. Never left the room until I said all my questions were answered.
Absolutely go for it, he's fantastic.
All 4 donor FETs were identical protocols. Only difference being dosage changes as my bloodwork dictated each time. Birth control, followed by Lupron. Delestrogen twice/wk. Progesterone in oil beginning 6 days prior to transfer, continuing through the first trimester. Prometrium suppositories beginning after positive pregnancy test. Baby aspirin and prenatal vitamins for the entire cycle/pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Approximately $2500 per FET, not counting medications.
Our donor embryos were frozen in pairs, and due to our religious beliefs, we did not want them refrozen. He allowed us to transfer 2 embryos each time because of this, despite birthing twins following the first transfer.
IUI, 1 IVF
The nursing staff [Oregon Reproductive Med] was so easy to work with, understanding, and helpful. To them I never felt like just a number. They were always there when I had a question and if not would always get back in touch with me quickly....When we lost our twins at 12 weeks and I notified the office they never really outreached to me like they cared.... [Cost Of Treatment] We payed 30,000 for services and medication
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The nursing staff was so easy to work with, understanding, and helpful. To them I never felt like just a number. They were always there when I had a question and if not would always get back in touch with me quickly.
I felt like she cared but once there was a postive pregnancy result after 9 weeks I was released to my regular obgyn. When we lost our twins at 12 weeks and I notified the office they never really outreached to me like they cared.
I feel like the nursing staff was most helpful. There was one nurse that was always so kind and helpful whenever I called with questions. I'm sorry I can't remember her name.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman was very nice and explained things to my husband and I. We were mostly happy with our care but once we had a positive pregnancy result I feel like that was all that was important to her. When we lost our babies there was no follow up.
Make sure you ask questions through the whole process. You are spending a lot of money and it is a very emotional process. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand something!
We did injectables with egg retrival then chromosonal screening on the embryos and froze them. Transfer of one embryo was done as it was the only one with normal chromosomes
We payed 30,000 for services and medication
Portland Westside

Whitney [nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] was who I talked to when I called in with questions or frustrations. She was absolutely amazing! She was always so patient and never rushed me off the phone. More than once I called crying and confused, and she took the time to comfort me and calm me down. She is filled with hope, but also very realistic. Any question she didn't immediately know the answer to, she would ask Heather and get an answer. Everybody at the clinic was awesome!...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The staff at the clinic was very easy to reach and communicate with.
Dr. Hurliman and all the staff knew myself and my partner by name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Whitney )
Whitney was who I talked to when I called in with questions or frustrations. She was absolutely amazing! She was always so patient and never rushed me off the phone. More than once I called crying and confused, and she took the time to comfort me and calm me down. She is filled with hope, but also very realistic. Any question she didn't immediately know the answer to, she would ask Heather and get an answer. Everybody at the clinic was awesome!
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is a great communicator who doesn't beat around the bush, but shows compassion. She is an expert in her field, but is not cocky and is easy to talk to. She was always willing to take extra time to answer any questions we had.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. No matter how stupid you might think the question is, Dr. Hurliman will always give you an honest answer and never make you feel dumb for asking.
First, we did three unmedicated cycles of iui. The final three rounds I was on Clomid. The fourth iui resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am 10 weeks pregnant from the 6th iui. For the first few cycles they did a baseline ultra sound. For all the cycles they did a mid cycle ultrasound.

Other, Unexplained
Overall the clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] felt a little cold to me (emotionally not physical temp) would have liked to feel more compassion during the difficult infertility struggle. They are good at answering questions except when it’s related to the plan ahead more then one step. I found that hard. And The facility is very clean.... Mostly interacted via email with Katy as I think we saw a couple different nurses during our apointments. But the couple times I remember seeing her she was kind, compassionate and easy to talk to.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Overall the clinic felt a little cold to me (emotionally not physical temp) would have liked to feel more compassion during the difficult infertility struggle. They are good at answering questions except when it’s related to the plan ahead more then one step. I found that hard. And The facility is very clean.
At times I felt as though because we weren’t to the point of spending thousands that we were less important.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr Hurliman was very knowledgeable and always communicated what the plan was. She did not come across warm or compassionate which made me feel like a number or that she didn’t seem to care. While we always knew what the immediate next step was, I found it frustrating to not know more specifics about the next 2 or three steps depending on how things went.
To be aware that She does not come across warm or fuzzy
Prior to seeing Dr Hurliman we had been using Clomid. She switched us to Letrazole. Her explication was that in her experience it worked better for people in my situation.
The clinic was able to bill my insurance for a couple small tests but 95% was out of pocket.

2013 - 2014
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The positive side is they [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling....There were several billing errors. One of my husband's specimens was wasted due to poor communication. My ovulation suppression took twice as long as it should have due to my physician resisting my input about my menstrual cycle.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The positive side is they get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling.
Discussions felt rehearsed and automated. Requests for details were glossed-over. Requests for deeper understanding were met with dismissal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Hailey)
I felt very much like a part of an assembly line for them. They showed more interest in getting me to sign contracts for treatment than actual care or well-being. I frequently received highly personal, often disappointing news in the public waiting area (i.e "the couch"). This was very humiliating.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Confident in his expertise and ability to get results but the process was an ordeal to be endured rather than a partnership for success. Treated my individual questions with generic responses.
Be an agressive advocate for yourself. You're paying a lot of money; get all your questions answered. Even if you have to repeat yourself.
One cycle of Clomid supported IUI. One cycle of injection supported IVF w/ICSI. I had 2 morning injections and one evening. Post-retrieval I used vaginal progesterone suppositories to support the transfer and implantation. I had a history of ovarian cysts (not PCOS) which interfered with egg development. The injection cycle was delayed twice due to cysts resulting from failure to respond to ovulation suppression therapy.
Approximately $22,000 total.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
[ORM Fertility's] Strengths - Multiple locations make it easier to work with your schedule. Weakness - you are a number and your level of communication does depend on the doctor. There is a bias towards the IVF process ($$$). It took 3 emails to get the IVF cost line item breakdown.... 1st IUI on Clomid and Levothyroxine lead to chemical pregnancy. Completed another IUI cycle on Clomid which resulted in a cyst. Moved to 5 IUI cycles on same dosage of Letrozole. Responded too well to Levothyroxine and dosage was cut down 3 times to 1/2 pill every other day. IVF - Dexamethasone - 10 days 20u of Lupron in the AM and again in PM 81 mg Aspirin 2 vials Menopur in AM 300 Follistim in PM increased to 375 on day 3
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Information was only given when direct questions were asked. If I missed a cycle day 1 call, no one called.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
We did IUI after IUI with little to no change in medication. She never brought up my eating habits, exercise, or anything I could be doing differently. If I didn't ask a question, she didn't give any feedback. It was always "do you have any questions?". I didn't know what I should have been asking until everything was done.
Research all possible fertility protocols yourself.
$450 for IUI procedure. $20,000 for frozen ICSI IVF cycle
Preference was single embryo
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Tests ordered for my husband [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] did not go through to the hospital. We had to re-ask. Had to ask multiple times for billing information. A nurse relayed one interpretation of a test result and then we heard a completely different one from the dr. The dr hadn’t seen latest test results before our consultation...Very good front desk staff. On time with appointments. Nice facilities. It’s still early on for us to know much about their lab or iui or IVF. The portal they use is challenging. We had to ask multiple times for things to be put on it and it is clunky.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
At times I felt very rushed in appt & that our questions were dismissed. Other times felt more time & patience were given.
We seem to have been assigned multiple coordinators during the 4 months we’ve been there - not even sure at the moment who ours is!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
We are still in early stages but overall Dr. Barbieri was pretty good at explaining. Set reasonable expectations (didn’t overpromise) but could sometimes be dismissive of questions we had. At times showed warmth and humor but at other times abrupt.
She will lay out process and steps clearly, but if you want a very warm, caring Dr, she may not be the best fit. She’s blunt, which at times we appreciated and at other times - during a miscarriage- was not a great fit for us.
Not sure - haven’t yet reached higher cost procedures.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Expensive. I think more than other clinics. And sometimes hard to get an appt. [at Oregon Reproductive Med] I’ve learned that I have had to make some appts a couple of months our just to make sure it worked with my work schedule... There was one instance when one of their nurses failed to reach me despite bei instructed to call me at work. Which resulted in a 2 month delay of the cycle... Elizabeth is the best. She anticipated everything Dr Hurliman will order or next steps.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Expensive. I think more than other clinics. And sometimes hard to get an appt. I’ve learned that I have had to make some appts a couple of months our just to make sure it worked with my work schedule
She always took the time to sit down and listen to our concerns and questions. She recognizes the financial and emotional burden this takes on all of us
Elizabeth is the best. She anticipated everything Dr Hurliman will order or next steps. She is incredibly organized and a great communicator. I never felt like she forgot about me or I was left in the dark
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
While she is incredibly intelligent and nearly everything she predicted to happen, did. However our we have had a possibly major hiccup with our ivf process, which I wish I would have known was a possibility prior to egg retrieval.
Ask lots and lots of questions especially if you have recurrent pregnancy loss.
We started with letrozole for close to a year and after 2 miscarriages she felt like ivf with genetic testing was our best shot since it would give us the most info re egg quality.
So far we’ve spent about 25k
She left it up to us

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Great clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] with clear communication and expectations. They offer IVF classes which prepare you complete and answer all of your questions. The clinic is always clean. Staff is kind and friendly. I sometimes felt rushed but that’s to be expected at such a busy clinic.... [Cost Of Treatment] Very expensive. Spent $34,000 last year and no baby yet.... I feel like I can trust what Dr. Hurliman recommends for me.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Great clinic with clear communication and expectations. They offer IVF classes which prepare you complete and answer all of your questions. The clinic is always clean. Staff is kind and friendly. I sometimes felt rushed but that’s to be expected at such a busy clinic.
Compassionate, honest care. I feel like I can trust what Dr. Hurliman recommends for me. She always maintains eye contact and is direct, doesn’t sugar coat things.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is direct, honest, and straightforward. She shows great compassion when needed and I really feel like she’s genuinely trying to help us conceive successfully. She is promptly on time usually and has aided in necessary decision making.
She encourages you to ask questions so don’t hesitate to ask her any questions for clarification.
Antagonist protocol- no birth control pills. 2 vials of Menopur, 300 units of Follistim, baby Aspirin, pre Natals. Ganarelix was added on cycle day 9. Lots of bloating as a side effect and a 5 pound weight gain. Started off with 6 follicles, but only had 2 by the end of stims on cycle Day 12. Cycle was converted to IUI.
Very expensive. Spent $34,000 last year and no baby yet.
Strong preference on single embryo transfers for women over 35.

2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
They [Oregon Repro Med] have great success rates, very state of the art clinic. They are expensive, but in line with other clinics. At times you feel like a number, but the nurses help make it seem more personal....The frozen IVF was about 10k and the fresh was about 17k....I could schedule blood whenever I wanted as long as they could get results the same day, usually before noon....The nurse and nursing staff were very helpful and caring. They were available to talk at length about my protocol.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They have great success rates, very state of the art clinic. They are expensive, but in line with other clinics. At times you feel like a number, but the nurses help make it seem more personal.
She took time when I was with her to get to know me and to explain the process for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
She is very fact based. She is able to talk about statistics and steps in the process. She is not a Dr. that will help with the emotional support piece. Dr. Barbieri is very nice, but at times seems stoic and clinical. I found that if I had emotional support elsewhere I was very happy with her. She is able to present very complicated procedures in a way that makes sense.
Write down questions you have and get a support network.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility.
I could schedule blood whenever I wanted as long as they could get results the same day, usually before noon. The ultrasound appointment was scheduled so far in advance usually a week or two that I had a window of about 4 hours to schedule it durning.
The frozen IVF was about 10k and the fresh was about 17k. This is without medication.
She recommends transferring two embryos for best results, but ultimately it was up to me.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)

The [Oregon Repro Med - Port W] clinic is very professional, organized, and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant to work with (esp. the women who would check us in and take our blood)...[Nurse] Katy was easy to work with. Sometimes I got the feeling like I was "bugging" her. Overall, I was pleased with our encounters and enjoyed dealing with her and the rest of the staff...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is very professional, organized, and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant to work with (esp. the women who would check us in and take our blood).
The demeanor of Dr. Hurliman is very matter-of-fact / black and white. I'm just not totally used to that style of treatment.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She comes across very "matter-of-fact" with less compassion or emotion than I'm used to. On the other hand, she was very professional and helped us get pregnant so I really can't complain with the overall experience.
I trusted her treatment plan for my husband and I and never questioned why she was doing what she was doing. It worked and that's what matters most. She just won't give you the "warm and fuzzies".
I can't remember much of the specifics and why she decided they were right for us. I do remember that we kept our trust in her throughout the process and tried to be patient.
Unfortunately, our insurance did not cover any services coded as "infertility" so overall, the experience was very expensive.