Genetic counseling: Offered
Portland Westside
9555 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
503.274.4994
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ORM Fertility to a friend?

Dr. Massie always made sure I understood the approach and so I never had any concerns...so very supportive and coached me and my husband through the next phase. The next transfer was a FET and that didn't work she called and and talk to me over the phone for 30 minutes just to make sure I was ok. She cares so much and I trust her with every step of this hard journey. She gives me hope that I will get pregnant again... I actually didn't have all my medication because my pharmacy was closed and she made sure to call in my meds to another pharmacist while she was off of work to make sure I had everything I needed.
Shanita [nurse at ORM Fertility] was very helpful and always answered my questions when I had them...The costs were about $18k without genetic testing and medication...The clinic was very clean and organized. Everyone knows you by name and is so very friendly. I have nothing but good things to say about the clinic. Everything is very convenient the office hours work very well with my work schedule also...Compared to the other 2 doctors I saw before Dr. Massie, Dr. Massie was the only one to make me feel like a human and not a number.
How was your experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Massie is the most compassionate person I have ever met. I have never felt so safe with a doctor and trusting of everything she recommended. I would recommend her to everyone I know. She is just a wonderful human being. She is very knowledgeable and will call you on her own personal time if you are in a pickle. I actually didn't have all my medication because my pharmacy was closed and she made sure to call in my meds to another pharmacist while she was off of work to make sure I had everything I needed. When my FET didn't work she called me and I asked her what is wrong with me.... she stayed on the phone with me let me vent and then made sure I knew that there is nothing wrong with me. She then called me later on the same day to make sure I was ok and talked to me for 30 minutes on her own time. I cannot say enough about this woman she is heaven sent!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
Don't be afraid, she will do her best to make sure you have the best possible chance of conceiving. So just relax and trust she has your best interest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
Compared to the other 2 doctors I saw before Dr. Massie, Dr. Massie was the only one to make me feel like a human and not a number. I got pregnant for the very first time with her as my doctor from the first fresh transfer and unfortunately had a biochemical pregnancy. She was still so very supportive and coached me and my husband through the next phase. The next transfer was a FET and that didn't work she called and and talk to me over the phone for 30 minutes just to make sure I was ok. She cares so much and I trust her with every step of this hard journey. She gives me hope that I will get pregnant again.
Describe the protocols Jamie Massie used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
For the FET I started out taking birth control (desogen), prenatal pill, cabergoline and aspirin Then started the progesterone and estradiol injections. Progesterone was every day and estradiol was twice a week. For the Egg Retrieval I cannot remember everything but I remember taking gonal F, Pregnal for the trigger shot, endometrium, Medrol, and estrace. I ended up having OHSS so I also had to take Ovasitol to help with that
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shanita)
Shanita was very helpful and always answered my questions when I had them
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility.
The costs were about $18k without genetic testing and medication
Describe Jamie Massie's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
Bellevue

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility.

With Dr. Massie we switched medications and decided to do things different because the first 9 months with the other doctor wasn't working. We switched to Letrozole & a trigger shot then IUI...was the first specialist I went to who actually explained questions I had rather than just giving me statistics. She really took time to make me feel like there was hope and we will get pregnant...I have been told by doctors that I was still young, too stressed, it's just not the right time. They didn't even stop to think even after 2 years of trying that something might be wrong. Dr. Massie has never pulled out the typical answers we were so used to hearing. She really helped us feel not so alone in this.
I love that the clinic [ORM Fertility] is clean and a generally happy place to be in an unhappy/difficult time in the patients lives...The staff is so great! Amy is so helpful Everytime I call I know the message will be relayed quickly and accurately. Shanita is awesome! She responds to all my questions as ridiculous as they might be, she gives me real answers and makes me feel calm about any situation I have been worried about, she helps calm my fears & always emails back quickly with an answer.
How was your experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Massie is so sweet. It's hard to find a fertility doctor that shows you that they care rather than just going through the motions. She understood our situation and sympathized with us. Each month with infirtility is draining, it beats you up emotionally and physically and it's nice to have a doctor who really wants you to succeed, not because it's good for the clinic but because she wants everyone to be able to have a family who wants one. I have been told by doctors that I was still young, too stressed, it's just not the right time. They didn't even stop to think even after 2 years of trying that something might be wrong. Dr. Massie has never pulled out the typical answers we were so used to hearing. She really helped us feel not so alone in this.
No advice
Dr. Massie was the first specialist I went to who actually explained questions I had rather than just giving me statistics. She really took time to make me feel like there was hope and we will get pregnant.
I had been on 8 rounds of failed clomid. 1 successful round after endometriosis surgery with clomid & IUI that ended in a miscarriage. With Dr. Massie we switched medications and decided to do things different because the first 9 months with the other doctor wasn't working. We switched to Letrozole & a trigger shot then IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amy & Shanita)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I love that the clinic is clean and a generally happy place to be in an unhappy/difficult time in the patients lives. Most people don't go to fertility clinics because they want to, it's because we don't have the choice. If we want a family this is what we have to do. ORM makes it a little easier
So far most has gone to my deductible but the actual treatments themselves, such as IUI, I pay out of pocket for due to my insurance not covering.
Unknown

Endometriosis, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Jamie Massie] was able to use a process of elimination to find the perfect combination of timing, medication and treatment path. After MANY years of MANY different treatments and MANY losses with several clinics, Dr. Massie and her team successfully instrumented our IVF cycle that led to our miracle son and future daughter...Not only was her medicine sound and obviously successful, but her genuine care, listening and flawless beside manner were icing on the cake. I would put Dr. Massie up against any other doctor as hands down the absolute best, my family is living proof!
[The nursing staff at ORM Fertility were] Phenomenal, to the point that they planned our appointments around other family obligations and knew each of us by name... Clinic was always prompt, clean and did everything within the enclosed hospital. Surgery, bloodwork, treatments etc were all in the attached hospital...Dr. Massie and her staff have been instrumental in my own health and ability to build a family. We pursued fertility treatments and procedures at several other clinics before becoming patients under Dr. Massie's care. In our previous endeavours we felt like the care was simply robotic and everyone received the same treatment, medicine and route regardless of diagnosis. Dr. Massie was one of the only doctors to diligently rule out other issues in question and willing to create a specialized plan to tackle our problems. She was able to use a process of elimination to find the perfect combination of timing, medication and treatment path. After MANY years of MANY different treatments and MANY losses with several clinics, Dr. Massie and her team successfully instrumented our IVF cycle that led to our miracle son and future daughter.
How was your experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
If there is a possibility of a successful pregnancy and birth she is THE BEST doctor to achieve it.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Great, very few military bases have access to a reproductive infertility clinic. Clinic was always prompt, clean and did everything within the enclosed hospital. Surgery, bloodwork, treatments etc were all in the attached hospital.
One specific thing to note is that most all clinics have an additional fee for ICSI performed with IVF.
We had performed IVF with other clinics and had never been successful, this was our last effort we with a new clinic and the recommended number based on our stats was 1-2, so we went with 2.

2020
Dr. Massie and her nurses went above and beyond with my challenging body to help me succeed safely in handling IVF...She was very compassionate and personable and made us feel like we were important. We were able to ask all levels of questions and no question was a bad one. When we had concerns she was great at explanations and encouraging us...Antagonist protocol. I have had health issues and medication sensitivity so i didn't need high doses to complete my IVF cycle. She understood my concerns and created a cycle that worked with my body. Menopure 75 iu, Follistim 100 units, Dexamethasone, Ganirilix 250 mcg, Novarel 10,000 IU. 11 eggs retrieved , 10 fertilized with ICSI
From day 1 we felt like we were important [at ORM Fertility] and not just another patient coming through an office. The facility is small, warm, modern, clean and welcoming, which is what we were looking for in an office. We are so glad they are in Bellevue as other local hospitals are large and you don't even know what Dr. you'll have on your retrieval day!! There is a small number of staff and they all know your name even if they see you in the hallway. Dr. Massie and her nurses went above and beyond with my challenging body to help me succeed safely in handling IVF. Doctor Nps
2020
How was your experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
From day 1 we felt like we were important and not just another patient coming through an office. The facility is small, warm, modern, clean and welcoming, which is what we were looking for in an office. We are so glad they are in Bellevue as other local hospitals are large and you don't even know what Dr. you'll have on your retrieval day!! There is a small number of staff and they all know your name even if they see you in the hallway. Dr. Massie and her nurses went above and beyond with my challenging body to help me succeed safely in handling IVF.
Supportive and understanding of my health issues. They made adjustments as needed to help me succeed.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
We love the clinic. Its not huge and has a nice peaceful atmosphere with calm music and really helps you feel at ease when you are there. Its clean, modern and a great location thats easy to access from I-5
Prep and IVF with Genetics testing the whole process was $27K

2019 - 2020
1 IUI, IVF
Dr.Massie spent enough time understanding about our problem, diagnosing it and taking us through possible options for us to get conceived, she is a warm friendly person who always made us comfortable. ... Dr.Massie was so warm and so patience in explaining all our questions, also was helping us learn much more about the process. ... IVF around 17K USD
Clean bright space, nice ambiance and less crowded. Checkin [at ORM Fertility] is easy as there is always a person available at the reception. May be hard to discover the location first time as there is no name plaque before the building. ... Appointments are scheduled very closer to the day, some day jut in the early morning asking us to visit the clinic on the same day.
2019 - 2020
1 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Jamie Massie at ORM Fertility?
Be more open with the doctor so she can help diagnose and set the right next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
They were warm and nice people, but when it comes to coordinating and running the schedule, it was so terrible and we had hard time getting medicines.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Clean bright space, nice ambiance and less crowded. Checkin is easy as there is always a person available at the reception. May be hard to discover the location first time as there is no name plaque before the building.
IVF around 17K USD

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Bankowski is very matter-of-fact and to the point when it comes to delivering information. He doesn't sugarcoat things and will lay the facts our plainly. He's not the warmest in regards to bedside manner, but he is smart and does his job well...My first IVF cycle was a typical antagonist protocol. Each monitoring appointment, my dosage was increased as I was responding poorly. Dr. Bankowski and I mutually agreed to cancel the cycle after 7 days of stim meds due to poor response. The second IVF cycle was a Lupron flare + HGH protocol, which my body responded to better. 8 eggs were retrieved, 7 w
Katie [nurse at ORM Fertiity] was my rock through all my treatments. She was compassionate, organized, and I felt like she was really rooting for me to have success...The look and feel of the [downtown Portland] office is very tranquil, clean, and inviting. The reception staff is friendly and once you've been going there for so long, they know you by name and will greet you accordingly. Almost everything is in-house so you don't have to go all over for blood work, ultrasounds, testing, or procedures. They have their own parking lot, so parking in the city is easy. If you happen to arrive on a busy day and the lot is full, they will pay for your street parking.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
If you need more from him - be it empathy, information, or warmer bedside manner, speak up and ask for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
I'm definitely not what I would consider a "needy" patient. I do a lot of the research on my own and have a very good idea what options there are, what to expect, etc. Since I don't have a lot of in-depth questions, I feel like there is a tendency to just give the information quickly and then WOOSH, we're out of there. Not many questions around how we are feeling or how treatment has affected us as a person.
Describe the protocols Brandon Bankowski used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
My first IVF cycle was a typical antagonist protocol. Each monitoring appointment, my dosage was increased as I was responding poorly. Dr. Bankowski and I mutually agreed to cancel the cycle after 7 days of stim meds due to poor response. The second IVF cycle was a Lupron flare + HGH protocol, which my body responded to better. 8 eggs were retrieved, 7 were mature, 6 fertilized via ICSI, and 5 made it to day-5 blasts. Grading were all between AA and AB. We opted not to PGS test. We did a single embryo fresh transfer which failed to implant (negative pregnancy test). Then did a double frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Last we did another double frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a singleton pregnancy. At our 20 week anatomy scan it was discovered the baby suffered from bilateral multicystic kidney dysplasia and severe oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid). The MFM explained the diagnosis was fatal and there was no chance to have a full term live birth. We chose to terminate for medical reasons at 20 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie Green)
Katie was my rock through all my treatments. She was compassionate, organized, and I felt like she was really rooting for me to have success. Taylor was learning under Katie and was really starting to get the hang of things. She was also very kind, communicative, and I appreciated all she did for me.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility.
We have spent approximately $28,000 at ORM for professional services in addition to approximately $9,600 in medications.
Portland Downtown

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility.

2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Amanda Hurliman] remembered our individual history and her concern and care feels genuine...We were never made to feel judged or poorly as to question our decision making process even when we chose to pursue more conservative treatment, despite it did not concur with her recommendation for ideal treatment; we were aware of the statistics of our choices, and those were honored and respected. We never were made to feel pressured or rushed to follow through with her next step recommendation. I’ve never felt judged. She is also honest and doesn’t hesitate to answer slightly direct or difficult questions (like the providers at ORM are stakeholders as owners); I also felt she is able to separate bias or potential personal gain from sound and fair clinical judgements. I find her to be honest, trustworthy, down-to-earth, and reassuring. She has alleviated a lot of anxieties around I fertility. I feel good about our decision of having switched to ORM with Dr. Hurliman in particular.
The downtown clinic parking lot [of ORM Fertility] (you must use for IVF) is barely functional due to size...The diagnostic workup is as thorough as one can imagine with no stones unturned; the treatment plan choices are based on individual factors and not a generic hit list...[The nurses were] Very organized. Quick response time. Exceptional communication within the team. Quite punctual. Gentle blood draws...currently ORM does a single transfer the first time. A two-embryo transfer is not considered until a first transfer fails.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She is succinct and honest, as well as completely professional. She doesn’t go into as much detail as I prefer, but I’ve always had opportunity to ask questions. She is thorough and thoughtful in her responses. She does a thorough chart review so she isn’t asking redundant questions, and clarifying questions are appropriate. We were never made to feel judged or poorly as to question our decision making process even when we chose to pursue more conservative treatment, despite it did not concur with her recommendation for ideal treatment; we were aware of the statistics of our choices, and those were honored and respected. We never were made to feel pressured or rushed to follow through with her next step recommendation. I’ve never felt judged. She is also honest and doesn’t hesitate to answer slightly direct or difficult questions (like the providers at ORM are stakeholders as owners); I also felt she is able to separate bias or potential personal gain from sound and fair clinical judgements. I find her to be honest, trustworthy, down-to-earth, and reassuring. She has alleviated a lot of anxieties around I fertility. I feel good about our decision of having switched to ORM with Dr. Hurliman in particular.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Don’t be shy to ask questions as she is very receptive to clarify anything that is creating uncertainty or stress. Also, if you’re someone who prefers a what-you-see-is-what-you-get personality and a friendly introvert for a provider, she’s the doctor for you. If you need a bubbly extrovert provider who will small talk or schmooze, make a different selection if that is your personality preference.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She remembered our individual history and her concern and care feels genuine.
Describe the protocols Amanda Hurliman used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
The diagnostic workup is as thorough as one can imagine with no stones unturned; the treatment plan choices are based on individual factors and not a generic hit list. We pursued IUIs and Clomid then Femara fully understanding she recommended IVF as ideal treatment; this was due to fear of what-ifs associated with cost, and our bad experience with a different physician at another facility with janky IVF before ORM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth S.)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Their costs are a the high end of the spectrum, probably because of the cost of their state of the art facility, and SART success (so they can command a higher fee schedule). The downtown clinic parking lot (you must use for IVF) is barely functional due to size.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.
IUI cost is mainly related to the number of ultrasounds each cu or required, so a firm figure isn’t helpful.
Describe Amanda Hurliman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
I’d read different things online, and paradigms change, but currently ORM does a single transfer the first time. A two-embryo transfer is not considered until a first transfer fails.
Portland Downtown

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I have PCOS so he [Dr. John Hesla] watched very carefully so I would not hyperstimulate but was also sensitive to the fact that the egg quality was likely not great. He adjusted dosages/treatment length to accommodate (upping Follistim when follicles were not growing, then tapered off once they started developing quicker). Because of the amount of eggs (31 at retrieval) and symptoms of overstimulation he called for a freeze-all and a month to get my body back to baseline.
Seamless communication between all departments of clinic [ORM]. Expect to see your one doctor and nurse each time, which makes care feel very personal. They strictly deal with issues of fertility, so when I had issues with blood pressure crop up because of fertility medication (very unexpectedly), I was sent to my PCP. This felt disjointed and I wished the clinic communicated better with my PCP rather than me being the “in between” trying to relay messages back and forth.
East Asian, Other
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Extremely knowledgeable, completely confident in his wisdom, insight, and protocols. Will move along quickly if you don’t have questions so be forward with any questions. When you do ask, he is very thorough. He deferred to my PCP a couple times due to unexpected complications, which caused my care to feel disjointed at those times, but overall he is a great doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
If you ask questions you will get thoughtful and thorough answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Took time to answer all our questions with as much detail as we needed, when we miscarried he gave the news with great compassion.
Describe the protocols John Hesla used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
I have PCOS so he watched very carefully so I would not hyperstimulate but was also sensitive to the fact that the egg quality was likely not great. He adjusted dosages/treatment length to accommodate (upping Follistim when follicles were not growing, then tapered off once they started developing quicker). Because of the amount of eggs (31 at retrieval) and symptoms of overstimulation he called for a freeze-all and a month to get my body back to baseline.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
There was seamless communication between dr, nurse, lab, and the embryology team. My nurse was my primary contact and was available by email and phone whenever I needed. She followed up with me frequently after hyperstimulation and compassionately checked in after miscarriage.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Seamless communication between all departments of clinic. Expect to see your one doctor and nurse each time, which makes care feel very personal. They strictly deal with issues of fertility, so when I had issues with blood pressure crop up because of fertility medication (very unexpectedly), I was sent to my PCP. This felt disjointed and I wished the clinic communicated better with my PCP rather than me being the “in between” trying to relay messages back and forth. Other than this one issue, have had a wonderful experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Around $30,000 though we are not pregnant yet.
Describe John Hesla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
I did not feel like Dr. Hesla pushed either way for one or two embryos. He answered our questions, offered neutral and data-based reasoning for both options, and supported our choice without hesitation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
My bp negatively reacted to one of the medications and it wasn’t something the dr had experienced before, so I felt on my own to figure out with my PCP. There was one other time they forgot to call in a prescription, but that was only once.
Portland Downtown

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility.

Dr. Hurliman’s strengths: she was patient and kind and showed compassion. She was able to explain things clearly and even drew pictures to help explain the process. Weaknesses: this isn’t a weakness of dr. Hurliman specifically but infertility treatment is extremely expensive and she would offer up suggestions on next steps without ever discussing cost (minus saying that the next treatment would be “expensive”). It’s hard to make a decision without having all of the information (including financial info).
The downtown clinic [ORM] feels very cold and run like a bank. Every time you leave the front desk people would ask for money towards your balance (even though there were still claims out to insurance etc.) The south clinic is great. ... I love Elizabeth and Jeri [nursing]. No matter what bad news I was facing that day - they always made me feel warm and welcomed.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Get all the facts before embarking on this journey. It’s time consuming and emotional. Dealing with the cost in addition to the stress can be overwhelming. Write your questions down and take all the time you need
Amanda Hurliman seemed like she really cared about our journey and would ask personal questions to get to know us. I never felt rushed. She patiently answered all of our questions.
I was on an agonist treatment cycle. I used menopur injections and follistim for egg retrieval. First time I had 22 eggs collected but only 4 made it to blastocyst and then only 1 was genetically viable. Transfer prep was progesterone injections (which are painful!) and endometrin suppositories (which are gross). Transfer resulted in a positive pregnancy test, but at 6 weeks it was a blighted ovum and I miscarried. Second attempt was the same protocol with the addition of omnitrope, human growth hormone, which is supposed to help increase quality. 24 eggs were collected and again only 4 made it to blastocyst and none were genetically viable for transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth )
I love Elizabeth and Jeri. No matter what bad news I was facing that day - they always made me feel warm and welcomed.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The downtown clinic feels very cold and run like a bank. Every time you leave the front desk people would ask for money towards your balance (even though there were still claims out to insurance etc.) The south clinic is great.
Each IVF cycle was approximately $13k
Amanda Hurliman seemed to be very conservative and let us know that she would only ever transfer 1 embryo at a time. We only had the 1 so it wasn’t an issue but I would’ve liked to have a choice and assume the risk as the patient (and the one paying for this)

2012 - 2018
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Hesla went over my complex history fully. He listened to my concerns and needs. He helped me to see two high risk OB’s for additional opinions if I should carry a pregnancy. He was always ready to answer questions and give details about treatment. I appreciated that he was always willing to give information on current research in the field to help us feel like we understood our best, most up to date options. He was kind and supportive through our hardest moments.
I feel that ORM is personal even though it is a bigger clinic. My questions were always answered quickly. I felt like I was compassionately taken care of as a patient. Their embryologist is top notch. She communicated clearly with us around retrieval and transfer. ...We worked with multiple nurses and surrogacy coordinators. I felt that they knew me as an individual and supported me a long the way. They were easy to reach and connected with us along the way.
2012 - 2018
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Ask questions
Dr Hesla took the time to evaluate my condition fully. He was always ready to discuss things further on the phone or through email. He contacted us personally after each two week wait to go over our results. He was always helpful with all our questions.
Our protocol seemed pretty straight forward. I don’t recall doses, but we were able to monitor locally.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I feel that ORM is personal even though it is a bigger clinic. My questions were always answered quickly. I felt like I was compassionately taken care of as a patient. Their embryologist is top notch. She communicated clearly with us around retrieval and transfer. I will always speak highly of their staff and my treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
Each time we were given a clear estimate of costs for retrieval, medicine, monitoring, transfers, and storage.
Dr Hesla provided appropriate information on the value of eSET. All of our transfers were single embryo transfers.
Portland Downtown

Dr Barbieri took a lot of time to explain our diagnosis and all treatment options to me. I've heard of other doctors only bring involved in the consult and never being seen again. I've seen Dr Barbieri at every appointment except the day of insemination...Dr Barbieri is very good at being present and answering every question you have. She is thorough at explanations and truly cares...
The nurses [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] are all great. While I don't have one specific nurse assigned to me. Everyone I've had contact with has been thorough, very good at explaining, compassionate, organized and gentle (as far as the nurse who performed the IUI)...This office is very clean, organized, friendly and very helpful! I would say that the only weaknesses are that they are somewhat hard to get ahold of on the telephone BUT they always call back very promptly! ...
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Barbieri used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
I'm currently in my TWW for my first IUI at ORM. DR Barbieri discussed that depending on my bodies response to medications we may do 2-3 IUIs. She explained she would tell me after the second one what her plan would be for us and then we would move on to IVF if we haven't gotten a BFP. She put me on 100 mg of Clomid for 5 days this cycle (due to my low follicle count in Arizona earlier this year) she explained that we could get too many mature follicles and have to cancel. She was very straight forward with this information. We ended up with one perfect, one almost big enough and two that might catch up so she explained again that we could trigger then or wait a few days and hope the other catch up and have a better chance. Again straight forward and made sure I was on the same page as her and wanted the same things. We waited a few more days and triggered with an Ovidrel injection. I had my IUI with a nurse yesterday and now we wait!!
The nurses are all great. While I don't have one specific nurse assigned to me. Everyone I've had contact with has been thorough, very good at explaining, compassionate, organized and gentle (as far as the nurse who performed the IUI).
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This office is very clean, organized, friendly and very helpful! I would say that the only weaknesses are that they are somewhat hard to get ahold of on the telephone BUT they always call back very promptly! You also have to pay attention closely if you e had any testing done at another office. They are very used to people starting their journey with them. I had all of my testing done in another state and even though it was all transferred prior to my first appointment I got one phone call from an outside radiology office stating that Dr B had sent a referral for me to schedule an HSG with them. I called and spoke to a nurse and she apologized and stated I didn't need another one. Had I just trusted that the radiologist office was right I would've paid for another $500 test that was unnecessary. I do believe it was an honest mistake on their part but it is a gentle reminder to be aware of everything you've had done already and always ask questions!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility.
My IUI totaled from cycle day 1-insemination approx $1,200 (including meds). You pay for each appointment separately at time of service.
Portland Downtown

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility.

...Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment... I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after surgery to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us...
My nurses [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out...The clinic is professional and welcoming. They have everything really streamlined compared to the first clinic we went to. There was a clear process for talking with clinic staff about insurance, financial assistance, scheduling, and medical questions...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
After nearly four years of trying to conceive on our own and at other clinics, we made an appointment with Dr. Hurliman on a friend's recommendation, and from the first visit I knew we had come to the right place. She took a lot of time to talk with us and explained our options thoroughly. She did all of my IVF procedures including egg retrieval, a fresh transfer (two embryos), and two frozen transfers (one embryo each transfer). I always felt confident knowing she was orchestrating my treatment. I needed two surgeries while I was in her care, and she connected me with surgical teams that she trusted, which really put my mind at ease. Even though she didn't do my surgeries, she followed up with me about them before and after to see how I was doing. I went through a lot while I was in Dr. H's care, including a twin pregnancy that ended with one blighted ovum (empty gestational sac) and a complicated ectopic pregnancy. It is heartbreaking to lose a pregnancy after years of trying to conceive, and Dr. Hurliman recognized that. She had just the right mix of compassion and professionalism that helped me get through that devastating time. Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment. I conceived again after our second frozen embryo transfer, and I continued in Dr. Hurliman's care through my first trimester. If she delivered babies, I would have loved to stay in her care through my whole pregnancy!
To the extent that you can, you can stop worrying about the medical aspects of your treatment while you are Dr. Hurliman's care. She has that covered, so you can spend that energy taking care of yourself instead.
Everyone in the office knew my name when I came in, including the receptionist, the nurses, and the phlebotomist. Dr. Hurliman was always professional and extremely knowledgable, and she was also kind. She took the time to ask us about other things in our lives besides infertility. She and the nurses happily answered all of my questions during my visits, and the nurses always responded to my calls and emails quickly. I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after survey to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us.
We had already been trying to conceive for four years when we started seeing Dr. Hurliman, and we went right to IVF. I received a detailed calendar for each cycle and treatment. It was really easy to follow my calendar, and when I had questions, my nurse always got back to me within a few hours.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather and Katy)
My nurses were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I can't remember the exact cost of our IVF cycle, but we put down a deposit before the cycle started, which was nice because we didn't need to pay for anything during my appointments. The office also did a great job of billing my insurance. And even though IVF wasn't covered, a lot of the office visits and lab work was.

2013 - 2016
Dr. Hurliman was amazing to work with. I always saw her for my appointment except for one IUI transfer out of 6. Although many of our encounters were brief it was usually because I had no questions as she had already answered all of them. However, when needed she spent the time explaining things to us or in reassuring us about how things were going. She was always concerned about how we were doing emotionally as well as physically. I would recommend her to anyone!
Katy [Nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team...
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions. She does a great job at communicating but everyone has different questions and there is no way to cover everything for everyone. She is one doctor who will not make you feel stupid or like you are taking up too much of her time if you ask the questions you are wondering about so do it.
Throughout the process she was always checking to see how we were doing emotionally. She also asked how life was going otherwise. Also even after a break from infertility treatments she remembered us.
Initially we tried to IUI with medication and did 6 rounds. We did 6 instead of the standard 4 because of cervical stenosis problems making it unclear whether the first 2 were as successful as they could have been. Due to my age (relatively young) and no other known risk factors or reasons for infertility it was thought it could be secondary to genetic issues either with my eggs or my husband's sperm. For that reason, when we decided to do IVF she recommended (although did not push) that we do CCS. It turns out that was a good idea as we had a low yield of embryos as compared to the number of eggs that were retrieved and of those embryos half had problems genetically. I did have problems with mild ovarian hyperstim but do not remember the specifics regarding the medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane)
Katy was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It was very easy to check in and check out. The receptionist very early on learned who I was and would check me in without having to wait at the counter. The one issue I had with the clinic was it's billing process. At times it was very confusing - sometimes I would be asked to make a payment after a visit and sometimes I was told I was up to date but then would get a bill later in the mail. The bills were also very confusing regarding dates and what I was being billed for. The only other concern I had was with the scheduling. I would often ask for the earliest or latest appointment on a certain day and would be offered a time but I found if I said anything later or anything earlier? there typically was a later or earlier time available. So for new patient's, don't hesitate to continue asking about certain times if you need them rather than just taking what is offered.
Overall cost for the 6 IUIs was around $8000 including medication, ultrasounds, testing, and visits with Dr. Hurliman. 1 round of IVF with all the fixings =) (ICSI, CCS, medication, egg retrieval and transfer, tests, ultrasounds, visits with Dr. Hurliman, as well as post-transfer monitoring) was around $25,000. Insurance did not cover anything until after I became pregnant.

8 IUI, IVF
I never feel rushed when I have an appointment with Dr. Barbieri and she always answers any questions we have...We started with IUIs. Our diagnosis is "unexplained". We got pregnant after our 3rd IUI but it ended up being ectopic. We had to wait several months after that for the medication to get out of my system/run its course and then we started IUIs again. She even let us do one additional IUI because we asked for it. Unfortunately, it did not work out for us. We have now moved onto IVF.
ORM [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is great. From the front desk staff to the physicians. They seem to be very organized and are always able to help. What I liked them about them is that I did not have to wait a long time for my initial appt. I originally called a local hospital system that has a infertility clinic. They told me they could not schedule me until half way through the month when the next months schedule came out. They said they would call me. In the mean time, I called ORM and was able to get in within 1-2 weeks. That other clinic NEVER called me back to schedule.
8 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
My husband I are very happy with Dr. Barbieri. She is straight to the point but also very encouraging and hopeful. She takes the times to listen to our concerns/questions. We never feel rushed when we see her.
The nursing staff is great! Very responsive, very nice. They have always returned calls in a timely matter (even on weekends).
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM is great. From the front desk staff to the physicians. They seem to be very organized and are always able to help. What I liked them about them is that I did not have to wait a long time for my initial appt. I originally called a local hospital system that has a infertility clinic. They told me they could not schedule me until half way through the month when the next months schedule came out. They said they would call me. In the mean time, I called ORM and was able to get in within 1-2 weeks. That other clinic NEVER called me back to schedule.
We have spent about $6500 for 8 IUIs (includes, initial consult,testing,meds and procedure). We have spent about $22000 for IVF/ICSI (includes appts/consults, testing and meds). Our insurance only covers items that diagnosis infertility (basically just the testing), does not any cover treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
One time a nurse forgot to call in a medication. It was the weekend. I called the office and they sent the prescription right over to the pharmacy. No time was lost, I was still able to start the meds on time.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I saw Dr. Bankowski at almost every visit, which was important to me. He was very personable and genuine and always left me feeling informed and confident about the next steps....Dr. Bankowski was extremely empathetic with our situation and very clear and concise about the IVF process. His confidence, extensive knowledge and experience are what drew us to him and his practice. He kept us informed every step of the way and always set realistic expectations. Both my husband and I would consider him a friend.
ORM is a big machine and they produce results. Each doctor has his or her own approach and it is important to find the best fit for you and your partner. This process is extremely stressful and riddled with uncertainty, but the ORM staff does their best to be supportive during every step. If you have an issue or concern about a caregiver or staff member, it is important to mention it a.s.a.p. so that it can be resolved quickly. Even at the best clinic, you have to be your own advocate.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Bankowski can come across as a little too confident and it can be mistaken as dismissive. Ask the questions that you need answers to and make sure you have him elaborate on his reasoning. He is confident because his experiences and education allow for him to be so, but again, if you have concerns, make sure you get answers.
I had a good AMH and FSH and my follicle count was always on par or higher for my age. 36. I was considered a “good responder” because of my test results. Also, my cycles were always normal and I achieved 3 natural pregnancies prior to seeking treatment. I was on the antagonist protocol, menopor, gonal f and cetrotide. I stimmed for 10 days before my egg retrieval. I had 23 follicles, 17 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and all fertilized with ICSI (our choice, not required). By day 6 we had 4 embryos to send for testing and 1 was chromosomally normal. I can currently pregnant with that little girl.
Katie was great, but cautious and always set realistic expectations. She was a fantastic support for me during this stressful time and I leaned on her a lot. She is extremely knowledgeable and very responsive. The rest of the nursing staff was wonderful too; I can honestly say that I made some friends during my time at ORM.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
We paid an estimated $30,000 for IVF, ICSI, CCS and FET.
Portland Downtown

Dr. Bankowski is confident, knowledgeable, and informative. He had a clear idea of what treatment was appropriate for us given our history, but was willing to discuss our questions, concerns, or hesitations. Although our appointments occasionally felt a bit rushed, in general he showed care and concern for our experience.
[Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is a high-volume, very professional and well-organized clinic. The systems in place for scheduling, testing, and monitoring are very efficient. The support staff is knowledgable, helpful, and informative...I cannot say enough about my primary nurse/IVF coordinator and the whole nursing staff. They were accessible and responsive by both phone and email and were always willing to answer my questions, address my concerns, or assuage my worries. They were extremely compassionate and seemed very invested in our success.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Ask questions about what specific protocol/treatments are appropriate for you given your history, and come prepared with specific information to give him about your fertility history.
Dr. Bankowski paid close attention to our history and was willing to adjust treatment protocols based on what he thought would work for me. He was warm and willing to take time to answer our questions.
For my retrieval, Dr. Bankowski used Menopur, follistim, and ganirelex, given that I had had good results on that protocol before. The protocol worked well. 17 mature eggs were retrieved, which resulted in 5 blastocysts and 3 genetically normal embryos. For my transfer, Dr. Bankowski used progesterone in oil and delestrogen. This was the first time I had used that protocol and I am pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Roxanne)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
This is a high-volume, very professional and well-organized clinic. The systems in place for scheduling, testing, and monitoring are very efficient. The support staff is knowledgable, helpful, and informative.
Portland Downtown

Dr. Barbieri's communication style is succinct, to-the-point, and no sugar coating... However, she is extremely dedicated to her patients (she talked with me about my treatment plan during her maternity leave), cares about their well-being (she told me to slow down from my hectic life), and spends the time to think about the best course of action for her patients.
The nurses at ORM are very nice! They handle a large number of patients so it is important for the patient to ensure test order are received... Dr. Barbieri's communication style is succinct, to-the-point, and no sugar coating.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Strengths: - Competent - Really cares about her patients - Dedicated - Willing to work with patients to determine the next course of action / protocols when setbacks / disappointments occurred - Succinct communication Weakness: - Does not give a very warm bedside manner that some people require - Very busy
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Although she might not give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, she really cares about her patients, is competent, and is willing to work with them, unlike other clinics. Do spend the time to think about the questions to ask, do the right research, and work with her as a team.
Dr. Barbieri's communication style is succinct, to-the-point, and no sugar coating. This might induce the patients to feel that she is not warm or catered to their feelings and needs. However, she is extremely dedicated to her patients (she talked with me about my treatment plan during her maternity leave), cares about their well-being (she told me to slow down from my hectic life), and spends the time to think about the best course of action for her patients.
A total of 4 cycles: #1 - Antagonist protocol: OCP for suppression, 8 days of 150IU Menopur and 150 IU of Follistim, Dexamethasone , Ganirelix, Novarel for trigger. 9 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 3 reached blastocyst stage. #2 - (to increase the number of eggs) OCP + Lupron for suppression, 12 days of 150 IU Menopur, 300 IU of Follistim, 5 units of Lupron, Novarel for trigger. 15 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 1 reached blastocyst stage. #3 - Estrogen Priming (to increase the number of eggs and egg quality) - Estrace, 13 days of 150 IU Menopur, and 300 IU of Follistim, 33 units of Omnitrope for the first 7 days, Dexamethasone, Lupron / HCG mix. 25 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 0 reached blastocyst stage. #4 - Antagonist protocol: OCP for suppression, 10 days of 150IU Menopur and 150 IU of Follistim, Dexamethasone , Ganirelix, Novarel for trigger. 12 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 2 reached blastocyst stage.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM is a very nice clinic.
Without insurance, it is about $15K for egg retrieval (including CCS), $4K for frozen transfer. Medication is about $3K.
Portland Downtown

Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor. She fully knew my case and predicted outcomes to treatment - I wouldn't go anywhere else...When I first met Dr Barbieri, it was overwhelming and I didn't feel 100% connected. ... I ask a LOT of questions and have a lot of feelings - she was patient and caring with me....We did 5 rounds of IUI.
It's [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice...I love the nursing staff and especially the phlebotomist, Sarah. I HATE getting my blood drawn, but she's amazing! Always made me laugh and it rarely hurt or left bruises....Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility?
Give it time, ask questions, and listen to her advice.
When I first met Dr Barbieri, it was overwhelming and I didn't feel 100% connected. It's so emotional as a patient to hear you will unlikely get pregnant on your own, but the doctors see this everyday! Over time and as we moved forward with fertility treatments and we spent more time together, I felt less like another case and more like a friend she was helping. I ask a LOT of questions and have a lot of feelings - she was patient and caring with me.
We did 5 rounds of IUI. #1 was successful (clomid) and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. #2-5 were unsuccessful. We tried femera instead of clomid for one cycle to reduce side effects, but I produced less follicles. For IVF I was on an antagonist (good responder) protocol. It produced 21 eggs, 19 fertilized with ICSI, and 12 made it to day 5/6. We put two in immediately that didn't stick. Tested 10 with CCS and 7 were normals. Did a Natural FET with 2 and became pregnant with twins. At the 6.5 week ultrasound Baby A was healthy, but B had a weak heartbeat. B stopped growing by the next week. Baby A is a year old and 100% healthy.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It's a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice.
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
He was very honest and straightforward but warm and caring. He would present information very neutrally, giving you facts with no bias. Then offer his opinion but never felt judgemental. I also never felt rushed with him. He always took the time to answer questions....Julie and her team were great! I felt bad for her because she would even check emails and respond when she took minimal vacations etc...she never got tired of asking my million questions. she always seemed very happy and helpful.
The weakness [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Feel free to ask him anything. He will answer honestly.
He and his staff were great! While very factual, they were warm and caring. They understood how much each step meant to us and knew there was more to this whole process than just facts and science. There are hearts and emotions involved.
Hard to remember details even though I lived and breathed them at the time. If feel the first Roy d I was offered a natural cycle (less meds -because I still had a very healthy cycle) or what I would call a very straightforward protocol. I was too scared to do the natural one. I felt the straightforward approach would assist more. I had a miscarriage and then next round did more of an allergy protocol. It included Claritin and antihistamine and some other drugs that was to help the body not attack the embryo. But not heparin or anything to that degree.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The weakness is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility.
Most of my monitoring was done in Ny.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
I feel like the 1 retrieval and 2 transfers was 30,000 more or less. That included genetic testing and icsi

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
ORM is a relatively small clinic and he definitely knew who I was and what my case was about. However, he is slightly odd and a bit cold. He almost never looked me in the eye and seemed incapable of answering a question directly, which was frustrating and at times made me feel unimportant...t's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push do
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
He is overall a very good doctor. I think he lacks communication skills which can be frustrating. As I stated previously, he almost never made eye contact and seemed unable or unwilling to answer questions directly. I had limited access to him as a patient. All my questions for him were relayed through my nurse. In order to speak with him directly with questions, I had to set up an expensive appointment. My situation is complicated and Dr Hesla was not able to help us conceive. We had unexpectedly bad IVF results -- everyone was shocked. He ran a few tests that seemed to make sense but didn't really know how to advise us on next steps based on the results of the tests. He basically shrugged his shoulders and wished us luck. We ended up going to a different clinic. He didn't have a lot to offer a complicated case. I think for simpler situations he's probably great.
If you have a relatively straightforward case of infertility, Dr Hesla can probably help you. If your case is complicated, I would seek a different clinic. He is the most experienced and knowledgable doctor at the clinic but the clinic itself has its limitations. I would also advise prospective patients that they should be prepared to receive a clinical and slightly cold demeanor from Dr Hesla. He didn't seem capable of or interested in showing a great deal of compassion.
I started with a straightforward IVF cycle: BCP followed by 150 Follistim 150 Menopur with a Lupron trigger. I ended up not being suppressed at the suppression check after 1 month fo BCP. I actually got pregnant that cycle naturally and had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage, he put me on Lupron 20 units for suppression then 10 units during stims along with 150 Follistim 150 Menopur. I think the protocol was over-suppressing for me but it did make sense as a first IVF.
Megan is an amazing, very experienced and knowledgable nurse. I would highly recommend her. She is not super warm and fuzzy but she obviously does care about her patients. At one point I was switched without warning from Megan to Katy, a very inexperienced nurse. Katy was sweet but clearly did not have the experience that Megan did and seemed overwhelmed and flustered by my questions. I am not an easy patient but I don't think I'm out of the ordinary, either. I think Katy will be a great nurse in time but I did not like being switched to a new nurse in the middle of treatment and requested to be switched back to Megan. My request was honored.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push donor eggs fast rather than trying to work with a complicated patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
ORM is a fairly expensive clinic. I think our IVF cycle came to roughly $17K.

2013 - 2014
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Discussions felt rehearsed and automated. Requests for details were glossed-over. Requests for deeper understanding were met with dismissal....Confident in his [Dr Bankowski] expertise and ability to get results but the process was an ordeal to be endured rather than a partnership for success. Treated my individual questions with generic responses.
The positive side is they [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling....There were several billing errors. One of my husband's specimens was wasted due to poor communication. My ovulation suppression took twice as long as it should have due to my physician resisting my input about my menstrual cycle.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility?
Confident in his expertise and ability to get results but the process was an ordeal to be endured rather than a partnership for success. Treated my individual questions with generic responses.
Be an agressive advocate for yourself. You're paying a lot of money; get all your questions answered. Even if you have to repeat yourself.
One cycle of Clomid supported IUI. One cycle of injection supported IVF w/ICSI. I had 2 morning injections and one evening. Post-retrieval I used vaginal progesterone suppositories to support the transfer and implantation. I had a history of ovarian cysts (not PCOS) which interfered with egg development. The injection cycle was delayed twice due to cysts resulting from failure to respond to ovulation suppression therapy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Hailey)
I felt very much like a part of an assembly line for them. They showed more interest in getting me to sign contracts for treatment than actual care or well-being. I frequently received highly personal, often disappointing news in the public waiting area (i.e "the couch"). This was very humiliating.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The positive side is they get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling.
Approximately $22,000 total.

2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I live in New York City, and had worked with a local doctor for four unsuccessful cycles before opting to work with a clinic on the West coast, ORM, and Dr. Hesla. The advice I would give a prospective patient who is having trouble conceiving in another part of the country would be: don't wait and only travel to work with Dr. Hesla after you have put yourself through possibly unnecessary pain and hardship. Go to him sooner.
While I was in New York, Julie was my liaison with ORM, via both phone and email. She was incredibly organized, kind, patient, and absolutely my cheerleader. No question was too small for her, and she responded to my needs or requests immediately. She had a lovely sense of humor, and was able to strike a wonderful balance of "business-like" efficiency and friendly communication...Dr. Hesla was an extraordinary doctor, not only in terms of his medical knowledge and expertise but also in the deeply kind and respectful way he treated me, listened to and addressed my concerns, and championed my goals.
2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
By the time I had my first consultation visit with Dr. Hesla, I had been through a lot -- 2 1/2 years on the pregnancy journey, four failed IVF cycles, and a miscarriage. I was doing this whole thing as a single woman, I was tired and worn down, and I wasn't sure if I could have any more hope of having a baby. I nervously approached the possibility of using a donor egg with Dr. Hesla. From the very first moment, he gave me a sense of possibility and warmly and positively reviewed my case history. He listened well and used just the right amount of gentle humor to lighten what had become a pretty heavy topic. He was not pushy, and it was clear that he did not have a God complex like some RE's do. He was smart, experienced, respectful, warm, positive, and communicative -- in that very first meeting and in every subsequent interaction I had with him (in person, on phone, or via email) over the next 15 months. When I decided soon after that visit that I would in fact pursue conception with a donor egg, he got genuinely excited for me. He was extremely involved in selecting, examining, and green-lighting possible egg donors for me, and ultimately, he was the one who found and matched me with my donor. I had already reserved one woman via an agency that the clinic works with closely, but became hesitant when they cycle she did before working with me didn't go that well. I remember Dr. Hesla wrote to me and said he had found someone he thought would be a terrific donor match for me. He said "she's 28, lovely and smart, beautiful like you, and has had great results in a past cycle." It was so kind the way he did it -- and I did end up going with that donor, to great success. I'll never forget the experience of my transfer for this final and successful cycle. As I lay on the table in the transfer room (like an OR?), classical music played softly and the lights were dimmed so that the environment was as relaxing as possible. Dr. Hesla came in wearing his scrubs, of course, greeted me, and then went to the side of the room where there was a pass-through window to the embryology lab. When the embryologist passed the tube containing the embryo that was to be transferred, Dr. Hesla received it gently in two outstretched hands as if he were being handed the last butterfly on earth -- and he walked back across the room holding it with such care and reverence that you could see it. Two nurses stood near where I lay, and the embryologist came into the room and held my hand for the entire procedure. It sounds ridiculous or over-the-top to say this, but truly, they made a medical procedure feel sacred. This was (and is) the caring the humanity of the team at ORM.
Because I was 44 and, despite high doses of "stim" meds had had four unsuccessful IVF cycles, Dr. Hesla concurred early in my first consultation with him that, if I was willing, donor egg would be the right strategy for me. Back then, I used to be able to recite every detail of every protocol for every cycle -- but, blessedly, years later and with a sublime 8-year-old boy who is the light of my life, I can't remember the exact medication protocol. But since it was my egg donor who was getting the stim meds and doing the egg retrieval, my protocol was simply to sync with her cycle and then build my uterine lining. I do remember that while all IVF cycles involve progesterone injections after transfer, Dr. Hesla was especially aggressive with progesterone and prescribed both the injections and progesterone suppositories for several days (can't remember how long). He said "we've gone to a lot of trouble to get you this far, so I don't take any chances."
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie - care coordinator)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
**Exceptional doctors, embryologists, nurses, and coordinators. **ORM's stats for live pregnancy way exceed those of clinics on the East coast -- at least they did in 2007/2008. At that time, the best stats by FAR were at ORM, CCRM in Colorado (where Dr. Hesla of ORM trained), and a clinic in San Diego whose name I cannot recall. **Their labs were modeled after Intel clean rooms -- I think that's the term for it. **Their attention to detail is extraordinary. Example: Before my transfer, Dr. Hesla did a mock transfer to gently test different tubes and see which flowed the most smoothly through my cervix and would provide the smoothest ride for that little embryo. Who does that? They do.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
I don't remember exactly -- it's a blur of high expenses, obviously. I think that they cycle probably cost somewhere around $10,000, but then of course I had additional expenses to the donor agency, the acupuncturist, travel between New York City and Portland, hotel in Portland, etc.
Deciding whether to transfer one or two embryos was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in my entire life. The reason was, as a single woman, I was terrified of having twins, which would have been more than I could handle or afford. Using my own eggs, which were of lesser quality, I always transferred as many embryos as looked good even to get one possible implantation. But since my ultimate cycle was a donor egg cycle, I knew the embryos were grade A and healthy, so there was far more likelihood of success for each and every one of them. I was scared to transfer 2 and end up with 2, but I was also tremendously scared to do an eSET and end up with 0 -- in this, my absolutely final cycle that I would ever do. Dr. Hesla was extremely understanding and talked this decision through with me fully. He told me ORM's stats for eSETs and told me that while it was fully up to me, the quality of my embryos were good enough that he would endorse either decision. I rolled the dice and went with a eSET -- and was rewarded with a solid implantation and very healthy pregnancy.
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Hesla was one of the very first care providers that I have had that said to me with great confidence that conceiving was very possible using donor eggs. He admitted to me with my past track record of miscarriages that keeping me pregnant would be a challenge – but together we could succeed. He gave both my husband and I hope. He is very confident in his ability. We found him to be brilliant - he thinks outside the box and we liked that very much. He was warm and compassionate. I didn't feel like a number and his office. I felt valued. He was almost as excited about us having a baby as we were!...
When I went to this clinic [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW], it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together...
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Don't be put off if you have to wait to see him - meaning if it takes a bit to get into his office it's well worth the wait. It's helpful to have your questions ready to ask during your appointment. And he is very accommodating at answering the questions presented to him in a very thoughtful and patient manner. He doesn't gloss over anything. He's very detail oriented. And me being an anxious person I got to the point where I actually manage my anxiety very well and would not get overly concerned about anything unless he became concerned. We trusted him that much.
When I first met Dr. Hesla I was incredibly frustrated because I had been to many physicians who could not figure out what was wrong with me, my body or why I continue to miscarry. Dr. Hesla was the very first position to actually partner with me in this process. That makes all the difference in my book. He did not appear to be put off or challenged by my myriad of questions I asked throughout my cycle. He was extraordinarily patient. I was one of those challenging patients, and that did not seem to faze him at all.
This was my first Egg Donation cycle. I knew nothing about protocols and I really had to trust my doctor and this clinic to lead me through a successful a donor cycle. They helped me select my donor, which was a big help because I was incredibly overwhelmed by the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Anne and Joan)
I had complications during early pregnancy before I was released to A maternal-fetal specialist. I had a lot of bleeding and they were really good to us – especially me and keeping me calm throughout that whole time period. They always return phone calls and emails- they would check in to see how I was doing. I always made time for me to come in for ultrasound when I began to have complications. They were just all-around compassionate and kind . I couldn't avast for a better team.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
When I went to this clinic it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together. I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after tr I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after our transfer, my pregnancy test and then released to see my OB/GYN we had a lot of extra bills from the clinic that we knew we were not responsible for. They were extraordinarily helpful and helped us resolve the issue. But receiving bills that were not correct after-the-fact was stressful.
Portland Downtown

Dr Hesla strikes me as pretty hands off. He's very official and seems experienced, but I doubt he would remember who I am at this point. I've only actually seen him twice; most of my appointments have been with NPs....He's not rude or dismissive, but issomewhat distant... We did two medicated IUI rounds so far. I was on 2 2.5mg tablets of letrozole for days 3 through 7 of my cycle to stimulate follicle maturation.
They're very professional and personable. The hours can be kinda tough though. Working around work schedules is very difficult. I appreciate that we're in a timing sensitive field, but for example, the clinic [ORM Fertility] closes at 4pm every weekday. They also seemed to assume that the $500 out of pocket cost for the trigger shot didn't require a warning beforehand, so I was scrambling later at the pharmacist.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
Have an idea of how you want to do things before you go in. Keep in mind your needs and advocate for yourself.
He's not rude or dismissive, but issomewhat distant
We did two medicated IUI rounds so far. I was on 2 2.5mg tablets of letrozole for days 3 through 7 of my cycle to stimulate follicle maturation. Then I had a mid-cycle ultrasound to confirm my follicles had responded and then I was prescribed a trigger shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember exactly what type it was.
The NPs were great. Honestly if I could just have an NP as a primary provider, I'd be good with that. The nursing team was really communicative and helpful.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They're very professional and personable. The hours can be kinda tough though. Working around work schedules is very difficult. I appreciate that we're in a timing sensitive field, but for example, the clinic closes at 4pm every weekday. They also seemed to assume that the $500 out of pocket cost for the trigger shot didn't require a warning beforehand, so I was scrambling later at the pharmacist.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility.
The ultrasounds were approximately 275 each time. The letrozole was free with my insurance. The trigger shot was $500. The IUI was about 300 to 350 including the sperm defrosting and quality check.
Portland Downtown

Dr. Hesla is very intelligent and thorough. He has a plan, and communicates it well during appointments and consultations. He is articulate and warm, and always friendly. I feel like I am respected and that none of my questions are considered a “waste of time” or “stupid.” I trust Hesla with my continuing care.... I did two cycles with Clomid, and 3 with Letrozole to increase my follicle amounts. I also used a trigger 4 or 5 times to force ovulation. I produced 1-2 follicles each cycle and had one pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage.
They [ORM Fertility] learn names and recognize us when we come in. They are most often running on time, and are efficient. Sometimes the efficiency can feel cold or rushed. The billing processes are sometimes confusing and it is difficult to know what you owe at any given time; bills are hard to real, also. They seem to care and work with our schedules as much as possible, and make concessions when we ask.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility?
The atmosphere is warm, and he answers all questions well.
I did two cycles with Clomid, and 3 with Letrozole to increase my follicle amounts. I also used a trigger 4 or 5 times to force ovulation. I produced 1-2 follicles each cycle and had one pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage. I have diminished ovarian reserve and may be proceeding with IVF next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Megan Crowley)
The whole team is very efficient. They return phone calls and emails quickly, and are thorough with information. They remember us when we visit, as does even the front desk/ancillary staff.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They learn names and recognize us when we come in. They are most often running on time, and are efficient. Sometimes the efficiency can feel cold or rushed. The billing processes are sometimes confusing and it is difficult to know what you owe at any given time; bills are hard to real, also. They seem to care and work with our schedules as much as possible, and make concessions when we ask.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
Once they called in prescriptions later than I was told; simply later in the day, and they were therefore not yet ready for me. I called and they immediately rectified it.