7.3

Portland Westside
9555 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor. She fully knew my case and predicted outcomes to treatment - I wouldn't go anywhere else...When I first met Dr Barbieri, it was overwhelming and I didn't feel 100% connected. ... I ask a LOT of questions and have a lot of feelings - she was patient and caring with me....We did 5 rounds of IUI.
It's [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice...I love the nursing staff and especially the phlebotomist, Sarah. I HATE getting my blood drawn, but she's amazing! Always made me laugh and it rarely hurt or left bruises....Dr Barbieri tells it like it is and it took me a few appointments to get used to her style. But, she's smart and good at her job which I value more in a doctor.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Give it time, ask questions, and listen to her advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
When I first met Dr Barbieri, it was overwhelming and I didn't feel 100% connected. It's so emotional as a patient to hear you will unlikely get pregnant on your own, but the doctors see this everyday! Over time and as we moved forward with fertility treatments and we spent more time together, I felt less like another case and more like a friend she was helping. I ask a LOT of questions and have a lot of feelings - she was patient and caring with me.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Barbieri used in your cycles at ORM Fertility Oregon and their degree of success.
We did 5 rounds of IUI. #1 was successful (clomid) and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. #2-5 were unsuccessful. We tried femera instead of clomid for one cycle to reduce side effects, but I produced less follicles. For IVF I was on an antagonist (good responder) protocol. It produced 21 eggs, 19 fertilized with ICSI, and 12 made it to day 5/6. We put two in immediately that didn't stick. Tested 10 with CCS and 7 were normals. Did a Natural FET with 2 and became pregnant with twins. At the 6.5 week ultrasound Baby A was healthy, but B had a weak heartbeat. B stopped growing by the next week. Baby A is a year old and 100% healthy.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
It's a business and it feels like one. But, you can always call and get your questions answered, the wait times are minimal, and the office is nice.

2014 - 2015, Successful
He was very honest and straightforward but warm and caring. He would present information very neutrally, giving you facts with no bias. Then offer his opinion but never felt judgemental. I also never felt rushed with him. He always took the time to answer questions....Julie and her team were great! I felt bad for her because she would even check emails and respond when she took minimal vacations etc...she never got tired of asking my million questions. she always seemed very happy and helpful.
The weakness [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Feel free to ask him anything. He will answer honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He and his staff were great! While very factual, they were warm and caring. They understood how much each step meant to us and knew there was more to this whole process than just facts and science. There are hearts and emotions involved.
Describe the protocols John Hesla used in your cycles at ORM Fertility Oregon and their degree of success.
Hard to remember details even though I lived and breathed them at the time. If feel the first Roy d I was offered a natural cycle (less meds -because I still had a very healthy cycle) or what I would call a very straightforward protocol. I was too scared to do the natural one. I felt the straightforward approach would assist more. I had a miscarriage and then next round did more of an allergy protocol. It included Claritin and antihistamine and some other drugs that was to help the body not attack the embryo. But not heparin or anything to that degree.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
The weakness is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility Oregon.
Most of my monitoring was done in Ny.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon.
I feel like the 1 retrieval and 2 transfers was 30,000 more or less. That included genetic testing and icsi

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
ORM is a relatively small clinic and he definitely knew who I was and what my case was about. However, he is slightly odd and a bit cold. He almost never looked me in the eye and seemed incapable of answering a question directly, which was frustrating and at times made me feel unimportant...t's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push do
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He is overall a very good doctor. I think he lacks communication skills which can be frustrating. As I stated previously, he almost never made eye contact and seemed unable or unwilling to answer questions directly. I had limited access to him as a patient. All my questions for him were relayed through my nurse. In order to speak with him directly with questions, I had to set up an expensive appointment. My situation is complicated and Dr Hesla was not able to help us conceive. We had unexpectedly bad IVF results -- everyone was shocked. He ran a few tests that seemed to make sense but didn't really know how to advise us on next steps based on the results of the tests. He basically shrugged his shoulders and wished us luck. We ended up going to a different clinic. He didn't have a lot to offer a complicated case. I think for simpler situations he's probably great.
If you have a relatively straightforward case of infertility, Dr Hesla can probably help you. If your case is complicated, I would seek a different clinic. He is the most experienced and knowledgable doctor at the clinic but the clinic itself has its limitations. I would also advise prospective patients that they should be prepared to receive a clinical and slightly cold demeanor from Dr Hesla. He didn't seem capable of or interested in showing a great deal of compassion.
I started with a straightforward IVF cycle: BCP followed by 150 Follistim 150 Menopur with a Lupron trigger. I ended up not being suppressed at the suppression check after 1 month fo BCP. I actually got pregnant that cycle naturally and had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage, he put me on Lupron 20 units for suppression then 10 units during stims along with 150 Follistim 150 Menopur. I think the protocol was over-suppressing for me but it did make sense as a first IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan is an amazing, very experienced and knowledgable nurse. I would highly recommend her. She is not super warm and fuzzy but she obviously does care about her patients. At one point I was switched without warning from Megan to Katy, a very inexperienced nurse. Katy was sweet but clearly did not have the experience that Megan did and seemed overwhelmed and flustered by my questions. I am not an easy patient but I don't think I'm out of the ordinary, either. I think Katy will be a great nurse in time but I did not like being switched to a new nurse in the middle of treatment and requested to be switched back to Megan. My request was honored.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
It's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push donor eggs fast rather than trying to work with a complicated patient.
ORM is a fairly expensive clinic. I think our IVF cycle came to roughly $17K.

2013 - 2014, Successful
Discussions felt rehearsed and automated. Requests for details were glossed-over. Requests for deeper understanding were met with dismissal....Confident in his [Dr Bankowski] expertise and ability to get results but the process was an ordeal to be endured rather than a partnership for success. Treated my individual questions with generic responses.
The positive side is they [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling....There were several billing errors. One of my husband's specimens was wasted due to poor communication. My ovulation suppression took twice as long as it should have due to my physician resisting my input about my menstrual cycle.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Confident in his expertise and ability to get results but the process was an ordeal to be endured rather than a partnership for success. Treated my individual questions with generic responses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Be an agressive advocate for yourself. You're paying a lot of money; get all your questions answered. Even if you have to repeat yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Describe the protocols Brandon Bankowski used in your cycles at ORM Fertility Oregon and their degree of success.
One cycle of Clomid supported IUI. One cycle of injection supported IVF w/ICSI. I had 2 morning injections and one evening. Post-retrieval I used vaginal progesterone suppositories to support the transfer and implantation. I had a history of ovarian cysts (not PCOS) which interfered with egg development. The injection cycle was delayed twice due to cysts resulting from failure to respond to ovulation suppression therapy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Hailey)
I felt very much like a part of an assembly line for them. They showed more interest in getting me to sign contracts for treatment than actual care or well-being. I frequently received highly personal, often disappointing news in the public waiting area (i.e "the couch"). This was very humiliating.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
The positive side is they get results. The negatives include a general lack of empathy. Understand that they spend every day in this world, but for the patients, this is deeply personal and often painful. The cavelier approach taken to patient interaction is unsettling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon.
Approximately $22,000 total.
2007 - 2011, Successful
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
I live in New York City, and had worked with a local doctor for four unsuccessful cycles before opting to work with a clinic on the West coast, ORM, and Dr. Hesla. The advice I would give a prospective patient who is having trouble conceiving in another part of the country would be: don't wait and only travel to work with Dr. Hesla after you have put yourself through possibly unnecessary pain and hardship. Go to him sooner.
While I was in New York, Julie was my liaison with ORM, via both phone and email. She was incredibly organized, kind, patient, and absolutely my cheerleader. No question was too small for her, and she responded to my needs or requests immediately. She had a lovely sense of humor, and was able to strike a wonderful balance of "business-like" efficiency and friendly communication...Dr. Hesla was an extraordinary doctor, not only in terms of his medical knowledge and expertise but also in the deeply kind and respectful way he treated me, listened to and addressed my concerns, and championed my goals.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
By the time I had my first consultation visit with Dr. Hesla, I had been through a lot -- 2 1/2 years on the pregnancy journey, four failed IVF cycles, and a miscarriage. I was doing this whole thing as a single woman, I was tired and worn down, and I wasn't sure if I could have any more hope of having a baby. I nervously approached the possibility of using a donor egg with Dr. Hesla. From the very first moment, he gave me a sense of possibility and warmly and positively reviewed my case history. He listened well and used just the right amount of gentle humor to lighten what had become a pretty heavy topic. He was not pushy, and it was clear that he did not have a God complex like some RE's do. He was smart, experienced, respectful, warm, positive, and communicative -- in that very first meeting and in every subsequent interaction I had with him (in person, on phone, or via email) over the next 15 months. When I decided soon after that visit that I would in fact pursue conception with a donor egg, he got genuinely excited for me. He was extremely involved in selecting, examining, and green-lighting possible egg donors for me, and ultimately, he was the one who found and matched me with my donor. I had already reserved one woman via an agency that the clinic works with closely, but became hesitant when they cycle she did before working with me didn't go that well. I remember Dr. Hesla wrote to me and said he had found someone he thought would be a terrific donor match for me. He said "she's 28, lovely and smart, beautiful like you, and has had great results in a past cycle." It was so kind the way he did it -- and I did end up going with that donor, to great success. I'll never forget the experience of my transfer for this final and successful cycle. As I lay on the table in the transfer room (like an OR?), classical music played softly and the lights were dimmed so that the environment was as relaxing as possible. Dr. Hesla came in wearing his scrubs, of course, greeted me, and then went to the side of the room where there was a pass-through window to the embryology lab. When the embryologist passed the tube containing the embryo that was to be transferred, Dr. Hesla received it gently in two outstretched hands as if he were being handed the last butterfly on earth -- and he walked back across the room holding it with such care and reverence that you could see it. Two nurses stood near where I lay, and the embryologist came into the room and held my hand for the entire procedure. It sounds ridiculous or over-the-top to say this, but truly, they made a medical procedure feel sacred. This was (and is) the caring the humanity of the team at ORM.
Because I was 44 and, despite high doses of "stim" meds had had four unsuccessful IVF cycles, Dr. Hesla concurred early in my first consultation with him that, if I was willing, donor egg would be the right strategy for me. Back then, I used to be able to recite every detail of every protocol for every cycle -- but, blessedly, years later and with a sublime 8-year-old boy who is the light of my life, I can't remember the exact medication protocol. But since it was my egg donor who was getting the stim meds and doing the egg retrieval, my protocol was simply to sync with her cycle and then build my uterine lining. I do remember that while all IVF cycles involve progesterone injections after transfer, Dr. Hesla was especially aggressive with progesterone and prescribed both the injections and progesterone suppositories for several days (can't remember how long). He said "we've gone to a lot of trouble to get you this far, so I don't take any chances."
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Julie - care coordinator)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
**Exceptional doctors, embryologists, nurses, and coordinators. **ORM's stats for live pregnancy way exceed those of clinics on the East coast -- at least they did in 2007/2008. At that time, the best stats by FAR were at ORM, CCRM in Colorado (where Dr. Hesla of ORM trained), and a clinic in San Diego whose name I cannot recall. **Their labs were modeled after Intel clean rooms -- I think that's the term for it. **Their attention to detail is extraordinary. Example: Before my transfer, Dr. Hesla did a mock transfer to gently test different tubes and see which flowed the most smoothly through my cervix and would provide the smoothest ride for that little embryo. Who does that? They do.
I don't remember exactly -- it's a blur of high expenses, obviously. I think that they cycle probably cost somewhere around $10,000, but then of course I had additional expenses to the donor agency, the acupuncturist, travel between New York City and Portland, hotel in Portland, etc.
Describe John Hesla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility Oregon.
Deciding whether to transfer one or two embryos was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in my entire life. The reason was, as a single woman, I was terrified of having twins, which would have been more than I could handle or afford. Using my own eggs, which were of lesser quality, I always transferred as many embryos as looked good even to get one possible implantation. But since my ultimate cycle was a donor egg cycle, I knew the embryos were grade A and healthy, so there was far more likelihood of success for each and every one of them. I was scared to transfer 2 and end up with 2, but I was also tremendously scared to do an eSET and end up with 0 -- in this, my absolutely final cycle that I would ever do. Dr. Hesla was extremely understanding and talked this decision through with me fully. He told me ORM's stats for eSETs and told me that while it was fully up to me, the quality of my embryos were good enough that he would endorse either decision. I rolled the dice and went with a eSET -- and was rewarded with a solid implantation and very healthy pregnancy.

2003 - 2010, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Hesla was one of the very first care providers that I have had that said to me with great confidence that conceiving was very possible using donor eggs. He admitted to me with my past track record of miscarriages that keeping me pregnant would be a challenge – but together we could succeed. He gave both my husband and I hope. He is very confident in his ability. We found him to be brilliant - he thinks outside the box and we liked that very much. He was warm and compassionate. I didn't feel like a number and his office. I felt valued. He was almost as excited about us having a baby as we were!...
When I went to this clinic [Oregon Repro Med - Port NW], it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together...
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Don't be put off if you have to wait to see him - meaning if it takes a bit to get into his office it's well worth the wait. It's helpful to have your questions ready to ask during your appointment. And he is very accommodating at answering the questions presented to him in a very thoughtful and patient manner. He doesn't gloss over anything. He's very detail oriented. And me being an anxious person I got to the point where I actually manage my anxiety very well and would not get overly concerned about anything unless he became concerned. We trusted him that much.
When I first met Dr. Hesla I was incredibly frustrated because I had been to many physicians who could not figure out what was wrong with me, my body or why I continue to miscarry. Dr. Hesla was the very first position to actually partner with me in this process. That makes all the difference in my book. He did not appear to be put off or challenged by my myriad of questions I asked throughout my cycle. He was extraordinarily patient. I was one of those challenging patients, and that did not seem to faze him at all.
This was my first Egg Donation cycle. I knew nothing about protocols and I really had to trust my doctor and this clinic to lead me through a successful a donor cycle. They helped me select my donor, which was a big help because I was incredibly overwhelmed by the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Mary Anne and Joan)
I had complications during early pregnancy before I was released to A maternal-fetal specialist. I had a lot of bleeding and they were really good to us – especially me and keeping me calm throughout that whole time period. They always return phone calls and emails- they would check in to see how I was doing. I always made time for me to come in for ultrasound when I began to have complications. They were just all-around compassionate and kind . I couldn't avast for a better team.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
When I went to this clinic it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together. I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after tr I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after our transfer, my pregnancy test and then released to see my OB/GYN we had a lot of extra bills from the clinic that we knew we were not responsible for. They were extraordinarily helpful and helped us resolve the issue. But receiving bills that were not correct after-the-fact was stressful.
Portland Downtown

Dr. Hesla is very analytical and careful with his statements and approach to treatment...[he]did not pressure us into any specific treatment, but provided us with a good overview of our options.He seems meticulous in the way he prepares patients for treatment...Communication was excellent when we needed to talk to him....[eSet approach] Emphasis on single [embryo transfer]
[nurse of ORM Fertility] Very organized and responsive to any and all questions. You can email them or call at any time. They are very kind and supportive...[clinic] Appointments run on time. They have an integrative health specialists on staff. Blood draws and scans can be scheduled around your time table...They always inform you when you will get results and post them immediately to your portal...[cost]For a cycle of IVF with PGT-A and meds it was about 25k...
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Dr. Hesla did not pressure us into any specific treatment, but provided us with a good overview of our options. He seems meticulous in the way he prepares patients for treatment. I felt 100% confident that he was going to make sure that every detail was handled. Communication was excellent when we needed to talk to him.
You can ask as many questions as you want.
I think Dr. Hesla is very analytical and careful with his statements and approach to treatment. I liked this about him.
I have not yet begun treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Meghan Crowe)
The nursing staff here are EXCELLENT. Very organized and responsive to any and all questions. You can email them or call at any time. They are very kind and supportive.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
I have been to three clinics and this is by far the best one. It is actually almost pleasant to come here. Everyone is kind and I completely trust that they are giving me the best care. Appointments run on time. They have an integrative health specialists on staff. Blood draws and scans can be scheduled around your time table. They always inform you when you will get results and post them immediately to your portal. That kind of communication makes a big difference.
For a cycle of IVF with PGT-A and meds it was about 25k.
Emphasis on single
Portland Downtown

Dr Hesla strikes me as pretty hands off. He's very official and seems experienced, but I doubt he would remember who I am at this point. I've only actually seen him twice; most of my appointments have been with NPs....He's not rude or dismissive, but issomewhat distant... We did two medicated IUI rounds so far. I was on 2 2.5mg tablets of letrozole for days 3 through 7 of my cycle to stimulate follicle maturation.
They're very professional and personable. The hours can be kinda tough though. Working around work schedules is very difficult. I appreciate that we're in a timing sensitive field, but for example, the clinic [ORM Fertility] closes at 4pm every weekday. They also seemed to assume that the $500 out of pocket cost for the trigger shot didn't require a warning beforehand, so I was scrambling later at the pharmacist.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Have an idea of how you want to do things before you go in. Keep in mind your needs and advocate for yourself.
He's not rude or dismissive, but issomewhat distant
We did two medicated IUI rounds so far. I was on 2 2.5mg tablets of letrozole for days 3 through 7 of my cycle to stimulate follicle maturation. Then I had a mid-cycle ultrasound to confirm my follicles had responded and then I was prescribed a trigger shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember exactly what type it was.
The NPs were great. Honestly if I could just have an NP as a primary provider, I'd be good with that. The nursing team was really communicative and helpful.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
They're very professional and personable. The hours can be kinda tough though. Working around work schedules is very difficult. I appreciate that we're in a timing sensitive field, but for example, the clinic closes at 4pm every weekday. They also seemed to assume that the $500 out of pocket cost for the trigger shot didn't require a warning beforehand, so I was scrambling later at the pharmacist.
The ultrasounds were approximately 275 each time. The letrozole was free with my insurance. The trigger shot was $500. The IUI was about 300 to 350 including the sperm defrosting and quality check.
Portland Downtown
Dr. Hesla is very intelligent and thorough. He has a plan, and communicates it well during appointments and consultations. He is articulate and warm, and always friendly. I feel like I am respected and that none of my questions are considered a “waste of time” or “stupid.” I trust Hesla with my continuing care.... I did two cycles with Clomid, and 3 with Letrozole to increase my follicle amounts. I also used a trigger 4 or 5 times to force ovulation. I produced 1-2 follicles each cycle and had one pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage.
They [ORM Fertility] learn names and recognize us when we come in. They are most often running on time, and are efficient. Sometimes the efficiency can feel cold or rushed. The billing processes are sometimes confusing and it is difficult to know what you owe at any given time; bills are hard to real, also. They seem to care and work with our schedules as much as possible, and make concessions when we ask.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
The atmosphere is warm, and he answers all questions well.
I did two cycles with Clomid, and 3 with Letrozole to increase my follicle amounts. I also used a trigger 4 or 5 times to force ovulation. I produced 1-2 follicles each cycle and had one pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage. I have diminished ovarian reserve and may be proceeding with IVF next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Megan Crowley)
The whole team is very efficient. They return phone calls and emails quickly, and are thorough with information. They remember us when we visit, as does even the front desk/ancillary staff.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
They learn names and recognize us when we come in. They are most often running on time, and are efficient. Sometimes the efficiency can feel cold or rushed. The billing processes are sometimes confusing and it is difficult to know what you owe at any given time; bills are hard to real, also. They seem to care and work with our schedules as much as possible, and make concessions when we ask.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility Oregon.
Once they called in prescriptions later than I was told; simply later in the day, and they were therefore not yet ready for me. I called and they immediately rectified it.

2017 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Hesla is kind, soft spoken, and very caring. He views you as a person first and provides choices. Though this can sometimes be frustrating when expert opinion should be utilized, it is great to be provided with all of the information...If you have an expectation on treatment, communicate this from the start. If you want his expert opinion, you may have to ask several times...
Megan [nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon] is the most compassionate nurse there is...ORM is great, though it has gone through challenges with COVID-19. Switching from their concierge model with a primary nurse, to a triage model without proper training has left room for errors and lapses in communication. For patients undergoing cycles where timing is key, this can be devastating. They have indicated that they are returning to their prior model. I hope this is true...
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Dr. Hesla is very big on providing choices and options and allowing space for you to choose.
Megan is the most compassionate nurse there is!
Total- 60k
Dr. Hesla explained the risks/ benefit based on our situation and his recommendation for singleton

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
We did not fully understand the chances of success. We learned later that it was not very likely based on age. He [Dr. Bankowski] seems earnest but we were still let down and not fully informed. We didn't see him every time we visited and it is very difficult to get ahold of anyone at ORM...We didn't see him every time...We were allowed to give input [eset] which is appreciated...
It is extremely difficult to talk to a person when you call [ORM Fertility Oregon]. You will be waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before you get to talk to a person. Don't waste your time using the ORM website to communicate because even they recommend you don't use it because they do not respond. And if they do it is about a week later....They [nurses] seem to just want to herd us though to get to the next patient...
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
We did not fully understand the chances of success. We learned later that it was not very likely based on age. He seems earnest but we were still let down and not fully informed. We didn't see him every time we visited and it is very difficult to get ahold of anyone at ORM.
Give the full facts and statistics of percentages of success and age.
We didn't see him every time.
They didn't get my period and ovulation right which wasted time and perhaps led to the failure.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at ORM Fertility Oregon.
They seem to just want to herd us though to get to the next patient.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
It is extremely difficult to talk to a person when you call. You will be waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before you get to talk to a person. Don't waste your time using the ORM website to communicate because even they recommend you don't use it because they do not respond. And if they do it is about a week later.
All in is about $25,000
Describe Brandon Bankowski's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility Oregon.
We were allowed to give input which is appreciated.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility Oregon.
We called specifically to make sure we had all out drugs, went over all of them and the person told us we had all we needed. This turned out to be untrue and we had to scramble to get what we needed the week we were doing injections.
2014, Successful
I was referred to him [Dr. Hesla] by PVED and it was an excellent decision. Great clinic, and great stats for donor egg. John Hesla was honest with us, and when we had a major setback (1st donor had bad eggs), John adjusted course quickly and now we have a beautiful child and several tested frozen embryos...John Hesla is an excellent and compassionate doctor. When our first cycle with him produced zero embryos, he did his best to ensure that our next cycle worked, and it did...
Great lab [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW], nice feel, I never felt like a number...[Nurse] Julie was very good. We primarily communicated via email. Like all IVF clinics, it's important to be an advocate for yourself. Julie was no exception...Don't remember exact numbers, just that it was in line with other IVF clinics. Less expensive than CCRM, about as expensive as Seattle Reproductive Medicine...
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
I was referred to him by PVED and it was an excellent decision. Great clinic, and great stats for donor egg. John Hesla was honest with us, and when we had a major setback (1st donor had bad eggs), John adjusted course quickly and now we have a beautiful child and several tested frozen embryos.
None. He's everything I wanted in an RE
We did two IVF stim cycles with him, with two different donors The first donor had poor egg quality, and the second donor had outstanding egg quantity and quality. Our first transfer worked and now we have a beautiful toddler. Our experience was that John Hesla was an excellent doctor and the clinic was well run.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Great lab, nice feel, I never felt like a number.

2010 - 2013, Successful
He [Dr Matteri] started off very conservative in his treatment plan because when we first sought help we were young (24 and 26) and he didn't want to over do it. I was frustrated at first and thought he wasn't taking me seriously because of my age. Once, I communicated my concerns he explained it all very well. Our successful cycle consisted of 100mg of Clomid days 4-9, with a mid cycle ultrasound in which we saw two follicles. I was given a proscription for a trigger shot but it wasn't needed. I spiked on my own and had on IUI and was prescribed sex one day later. I ended up with twins.
It's a busy place but it didn't seem to affect my care. I was always able to be seen or have questions answered quickly. I have recommended them many times and will continue to do so....We were completely out of pocket. The cycle that resulted in our twins cost about $3000 all in....His [Dr Matteri] bedside manner is a little odd. He was very good at what he did however, if you are someone who needs a doctor who sugar coats, he is not for you.
How was your experience with Robert Matteri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
His bedside manner is a little odd. He was very good at what he did however, if you are someone who needs a doctor who sugar coats, he is not for you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Matteri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Be prepared for him to be blunt.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Matteri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
It was a very individual treatment plan. He explained in detail why he was suggesting the path he was and was very reassuring that he believed it would work.
Describe the protocols Robert Matteri used in your cycles at ORM Fertility Oregon and their degree of success.
He started off very conservative in his treatment plan because when we first sought help we were young (24 and 26) and he didn't want to over do it. I was frustrated at first and thought he wasn't taking me seriously because of my age. Once, I communicated my concerns he explained it all very well. Our successful cycle consisted of 100mg of Clomid days 4-9, with a mid cycle ultrasound in which we saw two follicles. I was given a proscription for a trigger shot but it wasn't needed. I spiked on my own and had on IUI and was prescribed sex one day later. I ended up with twins.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at ORM Fertility Oregon.
They were always knowledge and kind.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Matteri at ORM Fertility Oregon.
Robert Matteri
2012 - 2013, Successful
She [Dr. Elizabeth Barbieri] was very honest and committed to our success...She was not warm and fuzzy or overly enthusiastic, but she was very committed and we ended up with a beautiful baby girl. I am very grateful to her and would definitely recommend her to others experiencing age related or other forms of infertility... I was not producing the triple stripe required for successful implantation so Dr. Barbieri consulted with others in her practice and we ultimately added Viagra to my treatment (taken vaginally) and it worked the first time. it was kind of gross and frustrating but it worked.
It [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] was a very good clinic...[Costs were] approximately $40K. [Nurse] Kim was extremely kind and caring and there for me every step of the way. she made everything ...after the birth of our daughter, we decided to donate the remainder of our eggs for research however the paperwork was continually lost and we ended up dealing with it for almost 3 years. to include a credit bureau which was very frustrating. They went through 3+ accountants in the time we worked with them, so that end of the business was not well organized.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Keep a positive attitude and ask a lot of questions.
She was very honest and committed to our success
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim was extremely kind and caring and there for me every step of the way. she made everything better.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
It was a very good clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon.
approximately $40K
Portland Downtown

For most of my treatment, I dealt with the nursing staff instead of Dr. Hesla, and it was difficult to get all of my questions answered...He is willing to discuss and consider alternative treatments. He is flexible, but sometimes that leaves you unsure with what he recommends. He works hard to be available to patients, and does care about the outcomes for patients...
ORM is a great clinic, caring, friendly, accepted my insurance, with great people ranging from doctor to nurses to genetic counselors. The billing team was understanding and accommodating. The insurance preauthorizations are done by a separate team than my nurses, so sometimes it was hard to follow up on what was happening there...
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Dr. Hesla is caring and experienced. He is willing to discuss and consider alternative treatments. He is flexible, but sometimes that leaves you unsure with what he recommends. He works hard to be available to patients, and does care about the outcomes for patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon.
The nursing staff is seasoned and sometimes I marvel at how they can keep everything straight. There were times when I had to wait for turnaround, but for the most part, they kept things humming along.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
He recommended one, but not strongly.
Portland Downtown

Dr Hurliman sat down at every visit with us and made us feel like we were her only patient. She went into detail about each step of the IVF/IUI process and answered any questions that we had. I like to know every detail and I was more than satisfied that she disclosed all information, good or bad...It is a process and be prepared for many appointments! If you have questions, make sure to ask them!!!
At the very beginning of the IUI process there was some scheduling problems [at Oregon Repro Med]. I was rescheduled a few times and it became an issue, especially when you have to arrange time off work...Katy was the best nurse I could ever ask for! She was prompt in answering questions and didn't rush us out the door...
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility Oregon?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
At the very beginning of the IUI process there was some scheduling problems. I was rescheduled a few times and it became an issue, especially when you have to arrange time off work.
Amanda Hurliman

2013 - 2014, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I would describe Dr. Barbieri's style as gentle but to-the-point...I feel that Dr. Barbieri was practical and would not have let me pursue something that had little chance of success.
I was much happier with ORM [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] than I was at University Fertility Consultants. The nurses in particular were great.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Barbieri at ORM Fertility Oregon?
I was much happier with ORM than I was at University Fertility Consultants. The nurses in particular were great. I feel that Dr. Barbieri was practical and would not have let me pursue something that had little chance of success.
Do research ahead of your appointment so you can ask questions
I would describe Dr. Barbieri's style as gentle but to-the-point. She definitely knew me because she saw me at a 20 week ultrasound appointment and said hello.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at ORM Fertility Oregon.
They were always available. Genevieve in particular was so encouraging.

2004 - 2010, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
He [Dr Hesla] is an expert. He optimized my treatment meds to get the best lining for transfer. He was compassionate and patient. I felt like he cared....I had trouble building a thick enough uterine lining. Dr Hesla recommended medications that helped, not just a cookie cutter protocol.
All of the nurses and staff at ORM [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] were well organized, patient, and compassionate...This clinic at the time was very competitively priced compared to clinics with similar success rates...Dr Hesla was very compassionate and very patient in explaining things. I felt like he cared.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He is an expert. He optimized my treatment meds to get the best lining for transfer. He was compassionate and patient. I felt like he cared.
Make sure and share any concerns directly with him. He listens and will try to do his best for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon.
All of the nurses and staff at ORM were well organized, patient, and compassionate
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
This is a top notch clinic!
2015, Successful
Dr Hesla is very responsive and empathetic. He is also understanding and never makes you feel bad for asking questions. His demeanor made my experience with fertility treatment as pleasant as possible considering the circumstances!
Dr Hesla [of Oregon Reproductive Medicine] is very responsive and empathetic. He is also understanding and never makes you feel bad for asking questions. His demeanor made my experience with fertility treatment as pleasant as possible considering the circumstances!
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
Very compassionate, patient and informative
Communication is excellent and prompt
Portland Downtown

I couldn’t be happier or more appreciative for what ORM and Dr Matteri did to help me start my family....Everyone at ORM was extremely knowledgeable, professional and also very compassionate. They really have their donor egg IVF program down and they were always available for questions. I was also very impressed with their embryologists who consulted with me as to how I wanted to fertilize the eggs (ICSI or natural).
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Everyone at ORM was extremely knowledgeable, professional and also very compassionate. They really have their donor egg IVF program down and they were always available for questions. I was also very impressed with their embryologists who consulted with me as to how I wanted to fertilize the eggs (ICSI or natural). I only had to fly up once prior to the transfer and most importantly my first and only cycle resulted in a singleton healthy pregnancy. I couldn’t be happier or more appreciative for what ORM and Dr Matteri did to help me start my family.
it was around 25k I think?
Robert Matteri

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
He seems to care and doesn't want is to waste our time and money going through another cycle but at the same time I don't think we were fully explained the chances of having a baby...I was seen by several different doctors. Dr. B. did not seem to be as available for how much money we were spending...We used high doses of IVf drugs
Parking [at ORM Fertility] is limited, welcome staff are not welcoming. You will not see your primary doctor very much at all. If you call them you will be waiting a minimum of 30 minutes to speak to a person. If you send them a message via their website you will wait a week for a response if they even answer at all...We had to pay over $25,000 up front. Services were not billed separately.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He seems to care and doesn't want is to waste our time and money going through another cycle but at the same time I don't think we were fully explained the chances of having a baby. We later found out that the chances based on my age are extremely low.
Fully explain the chances of getting having a baby and age of mother.
We used high doses of IVf drugs. They did not get my ovulation right the first time so we had to go through another cycle. We could have started in November but we waited for personal reasons until February. We wonder if the three month wait had contributed to the negative effect on our outcome.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at ORM Fertility Oregon.
I felt like they were herding me along.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Parking is limited, welcome staff are not welcoming. You will not see your primary doctor very much at all. If you call them you will be waiting a minimum of 30 minutes to speak to a person. If you send them a message via their website you will wait a week for a response if they even answer at all.
We had to pay over $25,000 up front. Services were not billed separately.
No comment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility Oregon.
We were told we had all our medication sand we went through each one at a time and later found out two separate times that we didn't have all the drugs we needed. I was sick and in pain two weeks are egg retrieval and wasn't told anything about that process or any process at all. Their "teaching" protocols seem to be to watch youtube videos.
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Brandon Bankowski] has been very straightforward and informative. He explains all options, risks and potential outcomes. He allows us to be apart of the decision making process. We felt like our choices were a collaborative decision between him and us. Although appointments were usually short, we never felt rushed and he always provided time for us to ask questions. He is very data and scientific based which was exactly what we were looking for.
Didn't feel like they [ORM Fertility Oregon] were batching patients. They were very open with us when they had some staffing shortages. Always asked if I was comfortable with a nurse practitioner before scheduling appointments with one instead of with my Dr...I love the nurse practitioners, Shannon and Alexa. They performed some of my ultrasounds and 1 of my IUIs. Very compassionate and friendly.
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He has been very straightforward and informative. He explains all options, risks and potential outcomes. He allows us to be apart of the decision making process. We felt like our choices were a collaborative decision between him and us. Although appointments were usually short, we never felt rushed and he always provided time for us to ask questions. He is very data and scientific based which was exactly what we were looking for.
He is very smart and more on the data side than the friendly side. But allows you to participate in your treatment plans.
He allowed us to make our own choices with a lot of provided information. Talked to us in caring and informative manner.
We did 3 IUI cycles with clomid. Egg retrieval was antagonist and had highly successful outcomes with ICSI and PGT testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Prefer ICSI. Didn't feel like they were batching patients. They were very open with us when they had some staffing shortages. Always asked if I was comfortable with a nurse practitioner before scheduling appointments with one instead of with my Dr.
We have spent about $33,000 so far, including all medication and procedures. Including diagnostic testing, 3 IUIs, 1 egg retrieval and 1 frozen embryo transfer. No insurance coverage.
Strongly prefers to transfer 1 but will allow 2.
2018 - 2020, Successful
IUI With Other Docs
He [Dr. Bankowski] is very knowledgeable doctor . He knows what will work and what not by looking at your history...We have done so many tests for my partner and me to make sure nothing is overlooked . Then we found our not only my partner had low sperm count with excluded treatments like IUI . But also we found out I had polyps in my uterus....
The clinic [ORM Fertility] is very clean private and well equipped. For example I had a ultrasound evaluation done at this clinic and it didn’t hurt at all...This clinic has amazing lab and their numbers show it...I cannot day enough about how wonderful the staff is. The call they follow up. They informed me every few days about my fertilization news...The clinic is great and I was treated like a human by a doctor but def like a number by the rest of the staff
How was your experience with Brandon Bankowski at ORM Fertility Oregon?
He is very knowledgeable doctor . He knows what will work and what not by looking at your history . He won’t oversee any details. We have done so many tests and now we have 4 embryos to transfer. We cannot wait for our transfer. I received multiple phone calls and follow up . We have done so many tests for my partner and me to make sure nothing is overlooked . Then we found our not only my partner had low sperm count with excluded treatments like IUI . But also we found out I had polyps in my uterus . We tried natural way and I was ovulating and I Nw we knew what the problem was .
To listen to him and follow his plan. Yes I wanted things got done faster and become a mom faster but he told me I need to listen to him and it will happen.
I don’t remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Kate Green)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
The clinic is very clean private and well equipped. For example I had a ultrasound evaluation done at this clinic and it didn’t hurt at all but I also had it done after my polyps removal at another clinic and I cried it hurt so bad . They filled my uterus with water and put catheter in and it wasn’t a pleasant experience at another hospital . This clinic has amazing lab and their numbers show it .
30k
They suggest 1 or two.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
[Dr. Elizabeth Barbieri is] Very direct and efficient but also compassionate. She always had a solution or a way to calm me down if I was nervous about something. Other nurses always praised her too which was nice to hear. We have been working with her for a year and she has always shown professionalism...She is going to be direct but also listen to your concerns. You will be in good hands.
Everybody [at ORM Fertility Oregon] is very friendly and nice. They are always ready to help. The installations are very clean and organized. As for the weaknesses, the billing is a little bit confusing and so is the new app. Make sure you check with your insurance and ask which pharmacies they work with and if they can send prescriptions to your pharmacy...
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
Everybody is very friendly and nice. They are always ready to help. The installations are very clean and organized. As for the weaknesses, the billing is a little bit confusing and so is the new app. Make sure you check with your insurance and ask which pharmacies they work with and if they can send prescriptions to your pharmacy.
Deposit for reciprocal IVF: $21,000 Egg retrieval meds: 1st cycle $3000 2nd cycle $5000 Hysteroscopy, paps, HSG…: $3000 FET cycle meds: $1000 Canceled retrieval monitoring: $1000

2020, Consult
So far, I have only had a new patient/phone consultation with Dr Hesla. I have a very complex medical history and [he] took the time to ask questions, show concern and freely provide his opinion on how my health conditions could impact fertility treatment...Given my age and past medical history, [he] was open to transferring multiple embryos.
[ORM Fertility] stengths - very organized, responsive, great online portal for accessing records, communicating with staff and educational content weaknesses...Dr Hesla took the time to ask questions, show concern and freely provide his opinion on how my health conditions could impact fertility treatment. I felt I was in very capable hands after speaking with [him]. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, my fertility treatment has been put on hold.
How was your experience with John Hesla at ORM Fertility Oregon?
So far, I have only had a new patient/phone consultation with Dr Hesla. I have a very complex medical history and Dr Hesla took the time to ask questions, show concern and freely provide his opinion on how my health conditions could impact fertility treatment. I felt I was in very capable hands after speaking with Dr Hesla. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, my fertility treatment has been put on hold.
Ask any and all questions you have. Dr Hesla is very willing to answer them.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility Oregon.
stengths - very organized, responsive, great online portal for accessing records, communicating with staff and educational content weaknesses - none so far as I am still in early phases of fertility treatment
Given my age and past medical history Dr Hesla was open to transferring multiple embryos.