Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center to a friend?

4 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Herbert always makes me feel seen. After he gave me the hard news of my diminished ovarian reserve he handed me a box of tissues, and told me it was okay to cry. He then proceeded to check in on me vial email a few times over the next weeks to see how I was doing. He is always honest and upfront with me, which I asked him to be, but in a kind way. When I asked him for help making a decision on wether or not to test my embryo's from my sisters eggs and donor sperm, he said, if you were my daughter I would tell you to do the testing. I am very happy with my treatment there so far Doctor Nps
I usually missed their [nurses at Pacific Fertility Center's] phone calls with embryo updates and they always left detailed messages. Every time I call to speak with a nurse, someone is available and they take their time answering questions and never make me feel like they are silly questions to ask. If they don't know something they will ask and get back to me asap...At PFC they only transfer 1 embryo at a time. Which I agree with...I think the strength is that it is a welcoming clinic. You walk in and you feel taken care of. Everyone from the front desk staff to the nurses and doctors are friendly and it is a calm space. As with any clinic or medical practice you have to be your own advocate, and yes there were some hiccups, but if you address them, they take care of them right away. They are also open to constructive criticism, or feedback.
4 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
As I mentioned before, he treats me like a human being with feelings that are valid. He also has a very calm manner, which puts me at ease.I also never feel rushed or as if he does not have time to speak with me, be it in person or via the phone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Be upfront with him, and he will treat you the way you want to be treated. He will respect your wishes and will not let you do unnecessary treatments just to make the clinic more money. He told me I could still attempt IVF with my own eggs, but that I would most likely end up right back there 3 months down the road with no embryo's and out $30,000. I appreciate that in. a physician.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Carl Herbert used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I haven't actually done any myself. My sister donated eggs for me and went through one round of IVF. As far as I know they were very good at adjusting and gaging when to up medicines during the stimulation cycle and about guiding her through the process. I am waiting on our SIP to be lifted, so that I can start my FET protocol. They want to do a medicated cycle with medication assistance. Estrogen and Progesterone.
I usually missed their phone calls with embryo updates and they always left detailed messages. Every time I call to speak with a nurse, someone is available and they take their time answering questions and never make me feel like they are silly questions to ask. If they don't know something they will ask and get back to me asap
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center.
$21,000 for my sisters IVF cycle. $4,300 for one FET, does not include meds $375 initial intake consult $395 meeting with Psychiatrist for working with third party (donor eggs) $275 for meeting with genetic counselor, all additional follow ups associated were included
Describe Carl Herbert's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
At PFC they only transfer 1 embryo at a time. Which I agree with
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
I had wanted them to test my sister for CMV status, as that was relevant information I needed to choosing a sperm donor. It was written down that that should be added to her bloodwork, but when the results came back that was not included. So when I called and asked, they apologized and said that there must have been some failure on there part that it had been forgotten. They reordered blood work and processed it free of any additional charge. I did feel bad that my sister had to get stuck again. But I appreciated them owning their mistake and fixing it right away.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center.

2019 - 2020
She [Dr. Li] recommended IVF from the start as the more effective treatment to achieve our family goals, but also said we were good candidates for IUI...had a strong preference for eSET due to the potential risks connected to a multiples pregnancy...bedside manner is outstanding - she is kind and empathetic while never losing sight of facts and always explained her reasoning for her recommended course of action to achieve the best outcome...She was sensitive to the feelings in the room on any given day and that is an important quality for me when looking for a doctor. I would recommend coming prepared with multiple questions to appointments so Dr. Li can address all your concerns adequately. While I don't think appointments w
Out of 22 eggs, 12 embryos developed and 7 were deemed normal after PGT-A testing [with Pacific Fertility Center]. We proceeded with a rest month and a frozen transfer of one embryo...Kelsey [nurse] was kind, warm and always professional - she always came to say hi to us during appointments, responded quickly to all email communications and overall just made us feel supported throughout treatment...We spent about $30,000 total on all treatments and medications, incl. FET, hysteroscopy and PGT-A testing of 12 embryos.
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
It seemed to me that Dr. Li adjusts her tone and demeanor to her patients' needs and personality. She was sensitive to the feelings in the room on any given day and that is an important quality for me when looking for a doctor. I would recommend coming prepared with multiple questions to appointments so Dr. Li can address all your concerns adequately. While I don't think appointments were rushed, it is a very busy clinic...Dr. Li offers phone follow-ups should questions come up and we did do that quite a few times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Come prepared with questions. I'd also recommend doing your research before appointments to ask about her reasoning behind her recommendations. It helped us understand more about the process of IVF and our particular case and made us feel more at ease knowing that decisions were made based on our individual medical history - not clinic statistics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Li's bedside manner is outstanding - she is kind and empathetic while never losing sight of facts and always explained her reasoning for her recommended course of action to achieve the best outcome. Her care team is incredibly responsive and helpful - always encouraging and it really feels like you have a strong support system at the clinic who's got your back.
Describe the protocols Liyun Li used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We came to Dr. Li after three cycles of clomid - one resulting in an early miscarriage - and an initial consult with Kaiser Permanente Fertility. She recommended IVF from the start as the more effective treatment to achieve our family goals, but also said we were good candidates for IUI (based on age and the fact that we've gotten pregnant before, all our testing looked normal, no tube blockages). We did two Letrozole IUI cycles - both times the sperm count and motility was very good. After that, we moved on the an Antagonist IVF cycle - Follistim/Menopur/Ganirellix and about 5 monitoring appointments during the cycle. The procedure doctor on the day of my egg retrieval was Dr. Givens, who also did a hysteroscopy a few weeks later to remove some small uterine polyps. Out of 22 eggs, 12 embryos developed and 7 were deemed normal after PGT-A testing. We proceeded with a rest month and a frozen transfer of one embryo - the transfer was done by Dr. Li.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was kind, warm and always professional - she always came to say hi to us during appointments, responded quickly to all email communications and overall just made us feel supported throughout treatment.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Beautiful facilities, great front desk team. Expensive fees - but they try to work with you on leveraging whatever insurance you have to reduce costs (for us, that only worked for the initial blood work and testing done at Kaiser).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe Liyun Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Li had a strong preference for eSET due to the potential risks connected to a multiples pregnancy.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center.

2015 - 2019
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
I saw her [Dr. Liyun Li] over the course of 5 years. We originally went in just to do embryo cryopreservation, but along the way, I found out that I had a genetic kidney condition, adenomyosis, and only 1 working ovary. So we went through the whole process with her (3 cycles with PGD and PGS testing) and transferred when we were ready...We ended up with 6 PGD/PGS tested embryos...started my treatment by trying to prevent my Adenomyosis from growing in preparation for another transfer,
My coordinator [at Pacific Fertility Center] was fantastic, and all of the nurses I worked with were also fantastic. They have a dedicated email just for Dr. Li’s team, and whenever I had a question or concern, they would usually get back to me within a couple hours. If I needed immediate attention, I could call and talk to one of the nurses on Dr. Li’s team, and they also had an after hours line that would reach whichever doctor was on call. They were very organized and everyone has been wonderful.
2015 - 2019
East Asian, South Asian
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
She is a wonderful doctor and we couldn’t be any happier with the results. I trust her completely and if I could do it all over again, I would still choose her as my doctor. I saw her over the course of 5 years. We originally went in just to do embryo cryopreservation, but along the way, I found out that I had a genetic kidney condition, adenomyosis, and only 1 working ovary. So we went through the whole process with her (3 cycles with PGD and PGS testing) and transferred when we were ready. The only reason we had to do 3 cycles was because I only had 1 working ovary (50% less follicles), and then PGD testing would cut that number by 50%. So we did several cycles and batch tested them all at once, rather than testing after every cycle. We ended up with 6 PGD/PGS tested embryos. When we were ready to transfer, 8 months later, our first transfer woth her was textbook. We ended up with a very healthy baby boy. We came back a year and a half later to try it again for a second, and Dr. Li started my treatment by trying to prevent my Adenomyosis from growing in preparation for another transfer, but that transfer ended up in a chemical. When it didn’t work, Dr. Li immediately did her best to give us all of our options and added a few changes to my treatment (such as adding an ERA cycle to give us more information) to help with the next transfer. I ended up pregnant at the next transfer, which was just a couple months later. So out of 3 single embryo transfers, we ended up with 2 pregnancies (I have a 2 year old and am currently 5 months pregnant)! So we are very happy with the results. I saw her on most of my visits, she did 2 retrievals out of 3, and she transferred all 3 times. Throughout all of this, I was always able to either schedule a call with her or contact her nurses and get an immediate response with any questions. They often follow up with me, even through my pregnancy, though I’m now under the care of my OB. I have been very satisfied under her care and under her team’s care. I know every circumstance is different, but Dr. Li is an exceptional results driven doctor who is very caring and compassionate, and I would absolutely recommend her.
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions or reach out to her team. She is very nice, and her team is very responsive!
Dr. Li is extremely caring, gentle, and I felt very confident in her care. She is just a very nice person in general, and I never felt rushed or like it was just a transaction. She always explained everything very thoroughly to us and was genuine about doing her best to provide the best outcome for our situation.
I don’t remember specifics, but I do know that all of her strategies were effective, and she was very on top of monitoring me in case any changes needed to be made. I did not feel disappointed at any time, or feel like we should have done something different.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jerilie Grajo)
My coordinator was fantastic, and all of the nurses I worked with were also fantastic. They have a dedicated email just for Dr. Li’s team, and whenever I had a question or concern, they would usually get back to me within a couple hours. If I needed immediate attention, I could call and talk to one of the nurses on Dr. Li’s team, and they also had an after hours line that would reach whichever doctor was on call. They were very organized and everyone has been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
I think PFC is a wonderful office. I am very happy with my experience. I think they run a very organized and efficient office, and I’ve had a wonderful experience with them over the course of 5 years.
- Cycle Fees: Approx 13K - PGD and PGS Fees paid to Lab: Approx 6K - Medication paid to Pharmacy: Approx 3-4K - FET: Approx 3K
I was very confident in elective single embryo transfer at this clinic because they have very high standards when it comes to which embryos make the cut. They only choose the highest quality top grade embryos, and I am confident with that method. The process of transfer can be very exhausting, both physically and mentally, and I would only want to go through with it with high quality embryos for a higher success rate. Aside from that, there are a lot of risks associated with multiple embryo transfer, both to the mother and babies. So I’m happy that PFC only does single embryo transfer.
San Francisco

Pacific Fertility Center is a great clinic that is very modern and offers a serene office space, excellent patient care, high level of service, and has an online portal that made it easy to keep track of appointments, test results, and calendars to track your individual cycles. The only thing I would say is that since it is located deep in the heart of San Francisco, traffic may be hard to navigate through.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan was very professional and compassionate during all of my appointments. She took the time to answer all of my questions and always kept me updated on where I stood in the process of my egg retrieval, embryo transfer, and post care. She is very blunt and that may turn some patients off, but I do enjoy that style because it helped me truly make realistic expectations for our treatment and make informed decisions regarding my care. This was a big help to me emotionally because it helped me stay grounded for whatever the results would be after all of our processes that include egg retrieval, genetic testing of the embryos, our own genetic testing, and chances for success with the embryo transfers and preparation of the lining. She even went as far to recommend an ERA test prior to our actual embryo transfer due to my medical history and we were allowed to do our own research and make the decision to proceed or not on our own. She did not pressure us either way. That proved that she was really paying attention to my health history and was doing all that she can to increase our chances of a successful transfer. Overall, I really enjoyed working with Dr. Ryan and her approach to care really meshed with my expectations and made me feel confident with every decision along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
One piece of advice to those prospective patients of Dr. Isabelle Ryan is to do your research prior to your first consultation. Come prepared with questions you may have and really use that time to dig in and have a deep conversation about your possible treatment, areas of concern, and get her opinion on your overall chances for success given your medical history and reasons for infertility. When you come prepared, that will instantly make your appointments more meaningful and keep you more informed to make decisions regarding your own care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I felt that I was treated like a human with respect because Dr. Ryan took her time to go over all of the scenarios and statistics regarding my specific situation and laid out realistic expectations for this journey through IVF. Her team constantly checked in on me and their response time to my calls and emails was fantastic. They really do focus on caring for the patient.
Describe the protocols Isabelle Ryan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Egg Retrieval Treatment included daily dosages of follistim and menopur, and later included ganirelix. This was successful and resulted in 43 eggs retrieved. ICSI was used to combine my eggs with my spouses semen to produce embryos. We then proceeded with PGS testing for the resulting 9 embryos that made it to day 5. Of those 9 embryos, we had 3 healthy embryos with no chromosomal abnormalities. We also did ERA testing to make sure my lining would be receptive prior to the actual embryo transfer. Once the ERA testing came back, we proceeded with the Frozen Embryo Transfer based on the timing listed in the ERA report. Due to my age, we did ESET and implanted one embryo which has resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alvi)
Alvi was the absolute sweetest and most caring nurse. She was an excellent communicator of all of my care and was diligent to follow up in a reasonable time on all inquiries I had regarding my care and appointments. She had excellent bed manner and always took the time to make sure all of my questions were answered.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.
Genetic Consult - $395 Horizon Screening - $199 Medications - $2500 Single Cycle Fee which includes Office Visits, Ultrasound, Estradiol, Anesthesia, Egg Retrieval, Facility, Lab, Embryo Freezing and one year Storage, Embryo Biopsy - $13,915 PGS Testing on up to 8 embryos - $2170 ($325 for each additional embryo) Frozen Embryo Transfer - $3175 ERA Testing - $1000 + $600 for actual test at Natera
Describe Isabelle Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
I appreciate Dr. Ryan suggesting we go with eSET instead of multiple embryo transfers because of my age and high risk pregnancy if we were to have multiples. I agree with her approach and it showed that she was not only focused on doing everything she could to increase our chances of success, but also was looking out for my own health. She took the time to explain her reasoning and I was confident with this approach given all of the facts.

2017 - 2019
Dr. Chenette is an absolutely compassionate physician and person in general. He is soft spoken, understanding and made me and husband feel like he genuinely cared about us and treating us. We never felt rushed with him. Never felt like we asked a “stupid” question, although I’m sure we did a time or two. He is very personable and caring. Not to mention extremely dedicated, educated and experience in his field.
The clinic (PFC) is busy ... Roughly 25k for all treatment and medication. ...Clinic is beautiful. It is located in SF so parking can be a hassle if you don’t give yourself a few minutes to park and walk a short distance. ... Our embryos were extensively tested, genetically. ... I had a say in all my treatments. I was given options, along with their strengths and weaknesses.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette is unequivocally the best fertility specialist. From his personal deamenor to his experience as a fertility specialist we believe there is no one better. We would go to him time and time again. We did extensive research and interviews with other fertility specialists before choosing to go with him and we are so grateful we did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
The clinic (PFC) is busy and you may not get Dr. Chenette for every appointment if your schedule is not flexible. You will not regret choosing him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Philip Chenette used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had a say in all my treatments. I was given options, along with their strengths and weaknesses. Dr.Chenette was my advocate, he gave me the options and essentially let me chose what I wanted. I chose injectable cycles for both egg retrieval and FET due to the discussion my husband and I had with Dr. Chenette. He (Dr. Chenette) believed it would be the most likely to succeed. And it did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Iris)
The “Dr. Chenette Care Team” was astonishing. Organized and always easy to get ahold of. I absolutely adore Iris (LVN).
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Clinic is beautiful. It is located in SF so parking can be a hassle if you don’t give yourself a few minutes to park and walk a short distance. There is a parking garage and street metered parking, none is reimbursed by clinic. Beautiful office with bay view.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center.
Roughly 25k for all treatment and medication.
Describe Philip Chenette's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
We did an eSET FET. Our embryos were extensively tested, genetically. Once again Dr. Chenette went over the risks, pros and cons of eSET and multiple embryo transfer. He highly suggested for an eSET and we agreed.
Philip Chenette
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center.

Dr. Li has been a great partner through this journey. She seems to truly care about her patients but is still very honest about the situation. I appreciated how she showed me all my options in a delicate but clear way. ... Dr. Li has a very sincere demeanor and seems to truly care about her patients. She was very delicate but also direct and has walked me through every step of the process.
So far my experience with other doctors at PFC has been negative. They seemed cold, rush me in and out the door and don’t listen to my concerns the way Dr. Li does. ... They have years of experience. That is the main reason why I chose this place. Because they are also an egg bank, they have experience freezing and thawing. I wish there was a way for me to always see the Dr. I’ve chosen.
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Li has been a great partner through this journey. She seems to truly care about her patients but is still very honest about the situation. I appreciated how she showed me all my options in a delicate but clear way. She gave her educated advice but never pushed me in one direction or another.
While Dr. Li is a great doctor. You may not always get her as your doctor for each check up. She does her best to be there for critical decision time appointments,... but if she is not working that day or is already booked and you happen to need to do an ultrasound checkup, you might get someone else. And the other doctors that I have had have been dismissive and not helpful.
Dr. Li has a very sincere demeanor and seems to truly care about her patients. She was very delicate but also direct and has walked me through every step of the process. If I feel I need to talk to her she makes time. Sometimes, however, I don’t always get Dr. Li for my checkups. Because there are too many people who need to see her and so I get routed to another PFC doctor. So far my experience with other doctors at PFC has been negative. They seemed cold, rush me in and out the door and don’t listen to my concerns the way Dr. Li does. So I try to insist that Dr. Li is there on critical days. But I can’t always control this. It’s the nature of how they run their business.
68 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Schriock took the time to understand me and my goals. He gave me information and guidance aligned to my goals and where I am in the process. ... His demeanor is friendly, patient, and calm. He was realistic with me about my potential outcomes and was proactive about tuning my protocol to try to improve outcomes. He found a protocol that was ultimately very effective for me, and I was able to achieve better results (egg freezing) than I was expecting.
The clinic [Pacific Fertility Center] is beautiful, very comfortable and welcoming. The operation is incredibly efficient - no wait times, things work like clockwork. The entire staff is great - friendly, informed, efficient. Scheduling was simple and easy, and appointments were always on time and ran smoothly. ... Marris Baskin, a nurse for retrievals and other procedures was especially great. Very warm, got to know me well, and took a personal interest. Really fantastic care.
68 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Schriock is thorough, sharing the right level of detail and thoughtfully answering all of my questions. His demeanor is friendly, patient, and calm. He was realistic with me about my potential outcomes and was proactive about tuning my protocol to try to improve outcomes. He found a protocol that was ultimately very effective for me, and I was able to achieve better results (egg freezing) than I was expecting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Do your research and ask the questions that are important to you. He will take the time to answer them and work with you on the right path for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Schriock took the time to understand me and my goals. He gave me information and guidance aligned to my goals and where I am in the process. He and his entire staff got to know me personally, and consistently went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable and cared for.
Describe the protocols Eldon Schriock (retired) used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
For egg freezing, I did: - 1 cycle with follistim + menopur protocol, with a HCG trigger, which led to average results. - 2nd cycle with lupron, follistim, menopur protocol, with a HCG trigger with similar results. - Moved to a clomid, follistim, menopur protocol, with a HCG and Lupron trigger, which led to great results. I did 4 freezing cycles with this protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center.
The entire nursing staff was fantastic - very responsive, well informed, very caring, and efficient. Marris Baskin, a nurse for retrievals and other procedures was especially great. Very warm, got to know me well, and took a personal interest. Really fantastic care.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is beautiful, very comfortable and welcoming. The operation is incredibly efficient - no wait times, things work like clockwork. The entire staff is great - friendly, informed, efficient. Scheduling was simple and easy, and appointments were always on time and ran smoothly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center.
Most of my costs were covered by insurance.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center.

Dr. Li is so caring. She didn't sugar coat things. She explained everything so thoroughly, and if we didn't understand, she clarified to ensure we did. Instead of seeing poor results online, she first called to explain what we would be seeing and why she thinks we got the results we did.... Dr. Li showed a genuine interest in us and was open to new things that we wanted to try the second time around. She always wrote very clear instructions on our charts so that when a new doctor picked it up on a weekend (when she wasn't working), t
While the clinic [Pacific Fertility Ctr] feels a bit like a factory, they know their stuff, and everyone we've come in to contact with has been so nice. They always answer the phone, and wait times are non existent. I was crying at the check out counter one time, and they handed me a tissue. The staff is really top notch and the facilities are clean. It's a beautiful clinic.... This stuff isn't cheap! But, the financial coordinator explained what you were being charged and for what.
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Li showed a genuine interest in us and was open to new things that we wanted to try the second time around. She always wrote very clear instructions on our charts so that when a new doctor picked it up on a weekend (when she wasn't working), they were able to understand it without any confusion. She was always on time, yet never rushed an appointment. There were times when I would be crying in her office, and she kept it together yet showed sympathy and care all at the same time.
Ask a lot of questions because she will answer all of them.
Dr. Li is so caring. She didn't sugar coat things. She explained everything so thoroughly, and if we didn't understand, she clarified to ensure we did. Instead of seeing poor results online, she first called to explain what we would be seeing and why she thinks we got the results we did. She worked very closely with my husbands doctor so everyone was on the same page, and she never rushed an appointment. She always followed through with questions we had that she couldn't answer and made sure we got answers as soon as possible whether it was from the financial team or the lab manager.
We found out my husband suffers from azoospermia due to varicocele veins in the testes. He had the veins repaired, but sperm counts are still too low to conceive naturally. For my first egg retrieval, we used Menopur and Follistim, then Ganirelix and Lupron. They retrieved 38 eggs, 29 of which were mature. We had to do ICSI due to low sperm counts. We ended up having zero fertilization, meaning no eggs were fertilized. We aren't 100% sure why, but all parties assume it was due to my my husbands poor sperm quality. We then decided to try it again, and the second time to add Human Growth Hormone into the mix, and kept all other injections the same. We also tried oocyte activation the second time around to give the fertilization process an extra boost. They retrieved 47 eggs this time, and 39 were mature. We decided to inject 20 eggs with the best sperm we could, and freeze the other 19 eggs. This was my decision, and Dr. Li supported me in that. I just didn't want to have to do another egg retrieval if we experienced failed fertilization again on all eggs. We ended up having 11 eggs fertilize, and 4 made it to blastocyst. We sent all 4 for genetic testing, and all 4 are now frozen. We are getting ready to begin the transfer stage where we will transfer 1 embryo.
I worked with Jerilie for both egg retrievals. She was caring, thorough, and always on top of my schedule and plan. She worked closely with the team, and communicated clearly to me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
While the clinic feels a bit like a factory, they know their stuff, and everyone we've come in to contact with has been so nice. They always answer the phone, and wait times are non existent. I was crying at the check out counter one time, and they handed me a tissue. The staff is really top notch and the facilities are clean. It's a beautiful clinic.
This stuff isn't cheap! But, the financial coordinator explained what you were being charged and for what. They also tried to help you get coupons for injections. They also told me when I could get blood drawn at other labs that my insurance covered.
Because the underlying issue is on my husband's side, and we have 4 good embryos, my doctor suggests only transferring a single embryo.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Ryan is very present and was very responsive to all of our questions and concerns.... My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result... Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures.
PFC is a boutique clinic, and you will be well treated and attended to. They are responsive and clear about logistics and protocols.... All of the nursing staff and care coordinators at PFC that I dealt with were great.... Given that the numbers are supposed to be so much better with donor eggs, and the fact that no one has given me any reason that we would not be successful going this route, I don't have the most positive feeling about PFC. Of course, there are probably many people who have had successful outcomes there, so this is just my experience.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I like Dr. Ryan a lot. I've read some reviews critiquing her "bedside manner" but I only experienced her positively. My partner and I were trying a second transfer with an embryo created using his sperm and a donor's egg. Unfortunately, it resulted in a negative pregnancy result, which was deeply disappointing, as it was our final option at PFC for transfer. Dr. Ryan was very caring, however when I pressed her about next steps and diagnostics, she stated that she did not think anything was "wrong" with me, and that she would want to do 4-6 more transfers before doing any diagnostic procedures. This, of course, sounded crazy to us - from both an emotional and financial point of view.
Even though we did not get the desired result, she seems like an excellent doctor and was very caring.
We did one IVF transfer, with a tested, euploid embyro created with my partner's sperm and a donor egg. I took estrogen and progesterone leading up to, and for a couple weeks after, the transfer. There was no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is a boutique clinic, and you will be well treated and attended to. They are responsive and clear about logistics and protocols. That said, I feel like I just threw away a bunch of money after two transfers (with donor eggs) that did not work. Given that the numbers are supposed to be so much better with donor eggs, and the fact that no one has given me any reason that we would not be successful going this route, I don't have the most positive feeling about PFC. Of course, there are probably many people who have had successful outcomes there, so this is just my experience.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.

18 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Herbert answered my questions until I felt comfortable with the procedure, and he set realistic expectations on number of eggs to expect. There were a couple of times when he was robotic with his replies, but overall, I felt like I was tried as a person...explained what he was observing during the ultrasounds and when he was reviewing blood work in a clear way Weaknesses: Not warm and fuzzy, if that is important to you
Strength [at Pacific Fertility Center]: Patient portal where test results and ultrasounds are available. At the initial stages, they offer phone consults. If you are uncomfortable with giving yourself injections, they can connect you with a nursing service that does it. Weakness: Parking can be difficult sometimes. They don't have specific support programs for single mothers...Nursing staff was great; they had a positive attitude and were friendly. Care coordinator was fine; she was initially annoyed with me because I had decided to start the egg freezing process at the last minute, so I had to rush order my medication.
18 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Strengths: Set realistic expectations on number of eggs expected; explained what he was observing during the ultrasounds and when he was reviewing blood work in a clear way Weaknesses: Not warm and fuzzy, if that is important to you
He is objective and clear, but not a cheerleader if that is what you need
My protocol was the following: Follistim 200 IU for first 4 days Menopur 75 IU for first 4 days -- Ultrasound & estradiol test; medication adjusted Menopur 75 IU for 3 days Ganirelix Acetate 250 mcg for 3 days Follistim 225 IU for 3 days -- Ultrasound & estradiol test; medication continued Follistim 225 IU for 2 days Menopur 75 IU for 2 days Ganirelix Acetate 250 mcg for 2 days Retrieval injection for retrieval 36 hrs later
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Letty)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Strength: Patient portal where test results and ultrasounds are available. At the initial stages, they offer phone consults. If you are uncomfortable with giving yourself injections, they can connect you with a nursing service that does it. Weakness: Parking can be difficult sometimes. They don't have specific support programs for single mothers.
Medication costs were $2000-2500; doctor's services were $9000
San Francisco

Dr. Herbert has a very straightforward manner but I don't mind it. I still felt I could joke or cry with him. Anytime I had a question and arranged a phone call I felt he took time to answer my questions.... I did sort of feel just in that initial consult that some added sensitivity around me being there alone as a single person would have been nice. I only felt that way during the first appointment. In my subsequent calls or ultrasound appointments I don't recall feeling that way.
It's a lovely facility [Pacific Fertility Ctr- San Fran]. Clean and responsive. I did go for a weekend ultrasound and wasn't necessarily as impressed with some of the support staff but that might just be because I wasn't with my familiar nurse and medical assistant. I went to 3 injection classes (seriously) and thought Iris was awesome. I also really appreciated that I got one free session with a therapist on staff. Had Laura my clinical coordinator not mentioned that I wouldn't have known.
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Herbert has a very straightforward manner but I don't mind it. I still felt I could joke or cry with him. Anytime I had a question and arranged a phone call I felt he took time to answer my questions. Most notably, the month I was set to begin I was extremely sick and at my baseline ultrasound pretty upset because my follicle count was lower than it had been at my consult ultrasound. He explained my options to me (go for it or wait a month to see if the count would be better). As I became increasingly upset, I think he could see how devastated I was and suggested I wait/get better. It was most definitely a human moment. There was one instance that stung just a tad, but in the moment I called him on it and I truly believe there was no ill intention. During my consult when discussing options, he assumed and suggested at some point I would pick a sperm donor. I joked and reminded him that finding a future partner was still an option. I did sort of feel just in that initial consult that some added sensitivity around me being there alone as a single person would have been nice. I only felt that way during the first appointment. In my subsequent calls or ultrasound appointments I don't recall feeling that way.
It's a piece of advice I plan to use myself which is to understand more what my blood test numbers mean/meant. During my consult, my mid-cycle ultrasound provided a surprising number of follicles as compared to my blood tests. However once I began treatment it seems what I'm seeing is more in line with those test results. I now feel I have more questions and want a better understanding of all my options. Additionally, I would say if warm and fuzzy is what you're looking for as a patient this may not be the best fit.
It was suggested I take Vitamin D, a prenatal and Co-Q-10. I had a very bad reaction to Co-Q-10 and after playing with the dosage and timing, we just sort of agreed I was done with it. I was put on 300 Follistim and 150 Menopur. After an injection class, once I realized everyone was on different meds, I did call to inquire how these decisions get made. I would say I was not super clear on the answer and now that I'm in the cycle again wondering if different meds or doses would work better (questions I now plan to ask). It's too soon for me to comment on results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Katherine Porras)
Again, it's early for me .. but I can 100% speak confidently about Katherine Porras (RN) and Christina Johnson (MA). Both of these women have shown me extreme compassion and answered all my questions (I have a lot). As for Clinical Coordinator, Letty Semana is actually Dr. Herbert's Clinical Coordinator but I'm sorry to say I had a terrible experience with her and switched coordinators after just one phone call. Letty was not only terse with me, I truly felt as though my questions were a complete inconvenience to her. After hanging up the call, I cried. I remember thinking I am about to give them thousands and thousands of dollars, doesn't that give me the right to ask questions. I recall also thinking, perhaps if I went in person, the experience would be different (there are many steps along the way that can happen in person vs. on the phone). It was actually during my payment consult that I gently shared this experience and my disappointment. That's when I found out I could request a different coordinator. I asked who would be the kindest and most sensitive to the fact that I was doing this 100% alone as a single person. Laura Begay was suggested and I switched. Laura came through for me in some pretty big ways. After a fiasco with ordering meds and prices changing, she got permission to give me a couple of nights of donated meds. When I had to postpone my start because I was sick and was sobbing, she came and talked to me. Other times she helped arrange for me to come in when Dr. Herbert wasn't necessarily available but she helped squeeze me in. I'm glad I made the switch.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
It's a lovely facility. Clean and responsive. I did go for a weekend ultrasound and wasn't necessarily as impressed with some of the support staff but that might just be because I wasn't with my familiar nurse and medical assistant. I went to 3 injection classes (seriously) and thought Iris was awesome. I also really appreciated that I got one free session with a therapist on staff. Had Laura my clinical coordinator not mentioned that I wouldn't have known. I felt good information was provided at each step of the way, but I think I would have preferred or benefited from a thorough overview class too about what was going to happen along the way. I read the binder they give you and highlighted it but still there were some steps along the way I don't think I really understood (like that my follicle count could go down from baseline to next ultrasound).
More than $10,000 when you factor in medication. Between 8-9k not counting medication.
San Francisco

Dr. Ryan was very knowledgeable and forthcoming with her recommendations, at the same time respecting our decisions around care and process even when if differed from her recommendations. ... Dr. Ryan is very direct but I appreciated her frankness. It allowed us both to have open and authentic communication about expectations, treatments, and procedures. ... I feel like Dr. Ryan nailed my medication dosages perfectly.
PFC was excellent. The facility is immaculate. All the staff was friendly and organized. Appointments were easy to schedule. They provided clear next step documentation to keep you organized. Appointments always were on time, with very little wait time in the exam rooms. ... Every person I interacted with on Dr. Ryan's team was excellent. They always responded to my emails in a timely manner, most times within hours.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan is very direct but I appreciated her frankness. It allowed us both to have open and authentic communication about expectations, treatments, and procedures. I felt very confident in her treatment decisions. We felt like she was our strongest advocate.
Have open and authentic communication. Feel confident in taking her advise as well as making the decisions that are best for your family, she will support whatever is the best decision for you.
I feel like Dr. Ryan nailed my medication dosages perfectly. I once saw another doctor at the practice for an ultrasound and he changed my medication dosage. After reviewing the doctor's recommendations Dr. Ryan's team called me shortly after my appointment to negate the other doctors recommendations and to stick to Dr. Ryan's protocol. I got excellent numbers for my retrieval and I think Dr. Ryan's medication dosage is one of the contributing factors to that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Doris)
Every person I interacted with on Dr. Ryan's team was excellent. They always responded to my emails in a timely manner, most times within hours. It was so helpful to know that there was someone to answer all my questions or concerns no matter how small they were.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Ryan encouraged elective single embryo transfer over multiple embryo transfers, which was on the same page as us. But I also feel confident Dr. Ryan would of supported our decision even if it differed from her recommendation as long as it was safe.
San Francisco

Dr. Schriock always listens to my concerns and addresses them in a gentle manner. When I was super nervous and shaking before my egg retrieval he held my hand in his and told me that this was a perfectly normal reaction and that I was doing great and would be fine. I felt very understood and cared for... In our first meeting with Dr. Schriock I was a little overwhelmed by the pace of his information delivery, but every meeting after that I felt he listened well and responded to me as an individual.
They [Pacific Fert Ctr] have really early morning appointments for most things, so I didn't have to miss that much work. I feel the staff all works well together as a team. They have been very kind and pleasant all the way from doctors to receptionists....The only criticism I have is that there were a few questions I asked that if they didn't know the answer they would say information I had already heard from them. But they also always talked to a doctor and got back to me when I pressed a bit.
I have only been through the first half of one cycle so far: stimulation drugs and egg retrieval. Dr. Schriock. However my husband and I have already been unusual patients because my husband was hospitalized and had a few procedures to determine if he had lymphoma right before and during my cycle. Dr. Schriock spoke with us personally when this came up, listened well and gave advice. In our first meeting with Dr. Schriock I was a little overwhelmed by the pace of his information delivery, but every meeting after that I felt he listened well and responded to me as an individual.
If you take some time to think of questions make a list before your appointment, and be prepared to ask him to slow down if necessary .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna)
The nursing staff has been great. Very gentle, comforting, and good at painless blood draws! For my IV for my egg retrieval they even numbed my arm a bit so I wouldn't feel it, and they had a heating pad on top of my hospital gown so it was warm when I got there. They explain everything clearly. The only criticism I have is that there were a few questions I asked that if they didn't know the answer they would say information I had already heard from them. But they also always talked to a doctor and got back to me when I pressed a bit.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
I have only been through half of a cycle so far, so this is hard for me to answer. They have really early morning appointments for most things, so I didn't have to miss that much work. I feel the staff all works well together as a team. They have been very kind and pleasant all the way from doctors to receptionists.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Schriock initially seemed good. He was the first doctor we worked with, so we didn't have much to compare. He is definitely more of a facts and figures guy. He pulled out all of the stats to show that at my age and with my ovarian reserve, it would be ideal to attempt an IVF transfer using an embryo created with a donor's egg.... We did one transfer with Dr. Schriock, using my partner's sperm and a donor egg to create an embryo. PFC does not test donor egg-created embryos (or they didn't in 2017)
The nursing staff at PFC is for the most part fantastic. They are very organized and responsive.... We were initially excited about Pacific Fertility Center because they are very responsive, and I have a cousin who had a good experience there. I now realize that you are paying for a "boutique" experience and that they seem to be more about making money than having successful results. They are very reluctant to do diagnostics, or think about getting pregnant as a holistic experience.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Schriock initially seemed good. He was the first doctor we worked with, so we didn't have much to compare. He is definitely more of a facts and figures guy. He pulled out all of the stats to show that at my age and with my ovarian reserve, it would be ideal to attempt an IVF transfer using an embryo created with a donor's egg. He was encouraging and we had no complaints as we prepared for the first transfer. I did get pregnant, but the embryo did not develop, and I ended up having a traumatic experience clearing the pregnancy- including two rounds of medication, hemorraging, and an emergency D&C.
I'm not sure I would recommend Dr. Schriock given so many other options in the Bay Area. He gets good reviews from other people, so I don't want to be negative, but I did not have an amazing experience.
Pacific Fertility is very good at making patients feel attended to, and Dr. Shriock was available to answer any questions that arose.
We did one transfer with Dr. Schriock, using my partner's sperm and a donor egg to create an embryo. PFC does not test donor egg-created embryos (or they didn't in 2017), so we transferred the untested embryo and it resulted in a short-lived pregnancy and miscarriage. The only medications I took were estrogen and progesterone leading up to the transfer, and in the first weeks after transfer.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
We were initially excited about Pacific Fertility Center because they are very responsive, and I have a cousin who had a good experience there. I now realize that you are paying for a "boutique" experience and that they seem to be more about making money than having successful results. They are very reluctant to do diagnostics, or think about getting pregnant as a holistic experience. For example, when I asked what I should do to prepare the week before a transfer, my doctor simply said, "Don't get sick." They don't have any protocol around food, exercise, immune support, etc - all things that can help set the stage for a successful pregnancy. They are quite happy to keep doing transfers (and taking your money) without any diagnostic rigor.

2011 - 2017
Dr Givens was a good communicator, empathetic and professional. She has a conservative approach. She recommended the same protocol 9 times, all which failed, and when I asked multiple times if there was anything experimental I could try she said no, you should think about using a surrogate...If you... do not need a touchy feeling Dr, she is a good fit. She is quick, direct and to the point which I actually appreciate...If you want a doctor that is going to think outside the box, do research on your behalf and bring you all the latest information available whether she agrees with the treatment or not, she is not the right fit for you.
PFC is fancy. Very nice, clean and huge for SF. They have appointments before work hours (8:30am) and there is plenty of parking in the area. Office tends to be crowded but I never felt that it lacked privacy...The PFC staff was organized, compassionate, friendly, and available. Embryologists were great too...During a transfer I was lead to a room that hadn't been cleaned from the previous procedure because they were so jam packed with procedures on the same day. It was chaos.
2011 - 2017
How was your experience with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr Givens was a good communicator, empathetic and professional. She has a conservative approach. She recommended the same protocol 9 times, all which failed, and when I asked multiple times if there was anything experimental I could try she said no, you should think about using a surrogate. Come to find out there are experimental things located within 2 hours of her office. She wrote a paper in 2010 around immunology and IVIG. Her paper was not supporting this treatment, but that's not what I asked. So, if you have a typical case I would recommend her. If you don't and would like to think more outside the box with your treatment, I would recommend you go to another clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
If you have a typical case and do not need a touchy feeling Dr, she is a good fit. She is quick, direct and to the point which I actually appreciate. I don't want to hang out at the clinic any more then I have to. If you want a doctor that is going to think outside the box, do research on your behalf and bring you all the latest information available whether she agrees with the treatment or not, she is not the right fit for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
From 2011 to 2012 the PFC experience seemed boutique and custom. Dr's had reviewed charts prior to entering the room and came to the table with a plan. When I returned to begin transfers for a second child in 2014 the clinic was different. Much more crowded, rushed and even one of the nurses said to me that they were now so busy she had to remind the Dr's about each patient. During a transfer I was lead to a room that hadn't been cleaned from the previous procedure because they were so jam packed with procedures on the same day. It was chaos.
Describe the protocols Carolyn Givens used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Round 1: age 36; retrieval using Follistim, Ganarelix, Menapure; great results; recommended against genetic testing as I had never been pregnant before; 29 eggs; 15 embroys (all excellent grade); Fresh transfer of 2 embryos; negative pregnancy test (Dr Given's said it was because I hyper stimulated but I had so many embroys she decided to move forward. Round 2: Frozen natural cycle; cancelled due to lining being too thin Round 3: Frozen cycle using stim drugs to help with lining; cancelled due to me ovulating Round 4: Frozen cycle using progesterone and estrogen injections (Dr Given's called this the gold standard to help with thin lining) Lining only got to a 6. Dr Chenet told me I "needed to buy a uterus" at a lining check but that it was Dr Given's call. I requested NOT to see Dr Chenet at future appointments. Dr Given's decided to give it a shot. Transfered 2 embryos; resulted in birth of 1 baby 9 months later: Rounds 5 & 6: Used same protocol as Round 4 both ending in chemical pregnancies Endometrial biopsy - Dr Given's didn't get enough tissue the first time so I had to do this twice. It's painful and delays the process. Biopsy came back fine meaning we were doing transfers on the correct day Went through the rest of the embroys using the same protocol as round 4 with negative pregnancy tests each time. Now out of of embryos Dr Given's reason was that they were not genetically tested. Retrieval #2: 15 eggs; 6 embryos; 3 genetically normal 2 transfers using the same protocol as round 4. Negative pregnancies both times. Thin lining continued through out each round (between 6 and 7) - reco is a 10 With 1 embro left Dr Given's recommended another retrieval and using a surrogate. I did the research and decided that route was not for me. Moved embryo to a new clinic and started from scratch.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Donna is wonderful)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center.
My first cycles were on a special value plan. I can't remember the exact costs but because I was only 36 and using my own eggs I qualified. Everything outside of that was a la carte. My insurance didn't provide coverage so everything was out of pocket. There were no payment plans offered.
Describe Carolyn Givens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr Given's and the staff at PFC have a conservative approach. When asked about alternative medicine, experimental treatments, ways of eating, etc. they all seem to blow it off as there is "not sufficient research"
Carolyn Givens
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center.

2012 - 2017
2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Schriock has been very open to our questions, to trying slightly different approaches to our cycles, takes our feedback and input seriously and continues to apply current research to our situation. He has been open to trying things that may not be scientifically proven, but seem to make a difference for me in getting a positive pregnancy result. He has listened to us and while he gives us his medical opinion, there are decisions we are able to make based on the info he provides (rather than being told what to do). He's very open to collaborating with others and when we realized we were dealing with recurrent pregnancy loss, he created the path for me of what doctors/specialists to see (outside of the clinic) so that we could all come back together with all the info gathered to create a next step forward. He brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the table and when I feel all hope is lost, he brings some hope back to us.
I've dealt with several coordinators [at Pacific Fertility] (cycle coordinators and sperm donor coordinator) and all were very good with communication, answering questions and providing all info needed (with patience)...The front office seems well coordinated with check-in, check-out and processing paperwork...Insurance claims are processed by the office even though for me they are out of network. Questions about my contract or financial/payment info has been handled professionally and promptly. Possible weakness: there seems to be a somewhat high turnover of medical assistants.
2012 - 2017
2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Even though you are the patient, be your own advocate. Speak up for what feels right for you and your situation. Dr. Schriock will answer your questions and listen to your concerns and ideas, so speak up! He tends to talk quickly so make sure if you are not done talking, or still trying to process what has been said, ask him to repeat it. Utilize Dr. Schriock's care team for asking questions during your cycle.
We have been through a very difficult and painful journey with male infertility and poor egg quality due to my age (after two rounds of IVF). We've had 3 miscarriages, one of which at 15 weeks. The doctors and staff at PFC have gotten to know us and care about what we've been through. Dr. Schriock continues to support us with realism but a sense of hope and is always open to talking to us and trying to figure out what to do next. He's been with us to see two twin pregnancies at the moment we discovered the heartbeats had stopped. We've been going to PFC for about 4.5 years so it is a place that has become part of our journey in addition to being our doctor's office.
My IVF cycles were in 2012 and 2013 so I don't recall the precise protocols. For embryo transfers post-IVF I did a few natural cycles but then had to cancel a cycle as my body was not cooperating. For the majority of my embryo transfer cycles, I have done "controlled" cycles with Delestrogen (20mg/ml) and Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate (50mg/ml). Delestrogen is a twice a week IM injection, then Progesterone is added in 6 days prior to FET and is a daily IM injection and would continue through 10 weeks of pregnancy. One of our treatment strategies we have tried several times is to do an endometrial scratch the cycle prior to the FET cycle. While there is no conclusive evidence that this will increase the chances of pregnancy, my last two pregnancies followed this plan. (these pregnancies ended in miscarriage). Results: IVF#1: pregnant but lost at 15 weeks IVF#2: negative 1 more FET with own eggs - negative Donor egg IVF Results: (I believe these were all controlled cycles) Donor FET#1-not pregnant Donor FET#2 - pregnant twins/lost pregnancy (did endometrial scratch prior to FET) Donor FET#3 - chemical pregnancy Donor FET #4 and #5 - negative Donor FET #6 - pregnant twins/lost pregnancy (did endometrial scratch prior to FET) Donor FET #7 - negative (did endometrial scratch prior to FET)
Since I have been going to PFC since 2012, I have met and interacted with many nurses and my main nurse contact has changed a few times. However, I have been very pleased with the nursing staff. Especially under times of emotional stress/trauma, there were a couple that stood out in particular with their support and compassion. I have always been pleased with my cycle coordinators, especially when I got to work with someone consistently who knew my history. Joanna in particular has been my main nurse contact for a while and she has been very quick to respond to questions and concerns especially with use of email. The front office has done very well getting me in touch with her over the phone. She has been very open to being a resource to me for questions and to reach out to when I have negative outcomes to my transfers. She's always been patient with me in appointments when I ask for explanations or extra help with coordinating my schedule with appointments.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The front office seems well coordinated with check-in, check-out and processing paperwork. I always get prompt service when calling in and getting directed to the appropriate person or coordinating a call back. Insurance claims are processed by the office even though for me they are out of network. Questions about my contract or financial/payment info has been handled professionally and promptly. I've dealt with several coordinators (cycle coordinators and sperm donor coordinator) and all were very good with communication, answering questions and providing all info needed (with patience). Possible weakness: there seems to be a somewhat high turnover of medical assistants. This can be somewhat frustrating. Other concerns: This clinic is likely not in your insurance plan. For me, they are out of network. Payment has to be made upfront, leaving you to figure out how to come up with the funds ahead of time (loans, credit cards, etc). It is important to consider what the cost will be to go with someone in network, vs out of network. Looking back on my process, Dr. Schriock was highly recommended to me so I decided to go there, but financially it would have been better to go to an in-network facility.
IVF #1 and #2 approx $12,000 each (2012, 2013) FET #3 approx $3,000 (2013) All further FETs were part of a contract for the Donor egg IVF. Our entire out of pocket cost for DEIVF with one year contract for unlimited FETs was approx $50,000. Contract was extended for further FETs until March 2017. Frozen Embryo storage fee per year: $600 Sperm storage fee: $300 per year (as I recall)
Describe Eldon Schriock (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Schriock's plan is to limit pregnancy risk with multiples. He's very focused on the health of the mother and the baby. He takes into consideration, the quality of embryos, health of the mother and age and our personal preferences to guide us to a decision. While he highly encourages single embryo transfer in my case, he is open to our requests and to discuss pros/cons of transferring up to 2 embryos. I have transferred 2 on our first IVF round, got pregnant with 1. On one other occasion due to repeated FET's resulting in negative results, I decided to transfer 2 embryos in hopes of increasing my chances. NOTE: This was my decision with my husband, where Dr. Schriock recommended one, but supported our decision to try two. This did result in a twin pregnancy which i lost. The bottom line, is that Dr. Schriock will highly advise doing single transfer but is open to discuss your personal wishes.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Chenette is very caring, genuine and sympathetic. He spends time going over the procedure, what he is doing or will do and answers any and all questions. He is open to setting up 30 minute phone consults to answer questions. He is extremely thorough. There was only two times where I felt he could have been more sympathetic-- both times involved him explaining about men's sperm quality vs women's egg quality....Don't expect that he will be the one doing your procedure; it may be another doctor at the same clinic.
The clinic [Pacific Fert] is extremely organized. The facility is really nice and the nursing staff is great. One weakness is the clinical coordinator I was partnered with...The nurse was very helpful in answering all my questions. The nursing staff was great-- extremely friendly, helpful, and kind. I did not like my care coordinator, Laura Begay. She was always busy, all conversations felt rushed and she was not compassionate at all. There were numerous times I was at the office and wanted to meet her face to face, but she never once introduced herself to me in person and every time I asked the staff if she was available, she was too busy. Once her part is complete, she is quick to pass off other issues to other staff. She is very to the point and blunt and I wished many times she showed a little compassion to me.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette is very caring, genuine and sympathetic. He spends time going over the procedure, what he is doing or will do and answers any and all questions. He is open to setting up 30 minute phone consults to answer questions. He is extremely thorough. There was only two times where I felt he could have been more sympathetic-- both times involved him explaining about men's sperm quality vs women's egg quality. He seemed very pro-male, stating that the majority of the time the issue is in the women. Even if that is true, and I trust him, it doesn't sound great coming out. Also, after our first retrieval, he mentioned that my husband did a "great job" and made it seem like I didn't. I was overly sensitive at the time (extra hormones) and wished that he didn't say it like that but rather, be more sensitive in the way he phrased that comment. I know he means well. He is extremely genuine and overall a great doctor.
Don't expect that he will be the one doing your procedure; it may be another doctor at the same clinic. Ask a lot of questions because he is great at answering them.
Doctor Chenette is very caring and genuine. He speaks softly, remains calm and he spends times to explain things and answer questions.
First retrieval: 200 IU of Follistim; 150IU of Menopur; prenatal vitamin, HCG trigger shot and lupron two nights(?) before retrieval. Baseline ultrasound day 2 of cycle and Ultrasounds during the stim process. Second retrieval (in process): 200 IU of Follistim, Morning and evening 10 units of Lupron, .2ml LD hCG, prenatal vitamin and CoQ10 and DHEA.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is extremely organized. The facility is really nice and the nursing staff is great. One weakness is the clinical coordinator I was partnered with. Her name is Laura Begay and she was not compassionate at all.
roughly $22K for the retrieval and around $3K for medication (1st time) second time: roughly $15K for retrieval and around $1500 for medication
Dr. Chenette is an advocate for single embryo transfer. He strongly discourages multiple embryo transfer
Philip Chenette

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
he [Dr. Herbert] connected with me, wanted me to be successful, was completely honest about my odds and yet was rooting for me the entire time...He was also very compassionate and caring. He also thought outside of the box, learned from my first canceled cycle and was successful the second time. Where other doctors would have stopped he kept going and tried...is direct and to the pony. This may not be for everyone. I personally really liked it.
With drugs a cycle was about $15,000 [at Pacific Fertility Center] but that did not include genetic testing...PFC is very professional, organized and efficient. I loved my whole experience there! Everyone from the ladies who check you in, to the financial coordinators to the lab staff was excellent. They all went out of their way to help me...Both Kat and Marris went above and beyond to care for me by checking in, offering emotional support, emails, phone calls, getting me free stim drugs bc my stim cycles were so long.
European, Latino
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Herbert is direct and to the pony. This may not be for everyone. I personally really liked it. He was also very compassionate and caring. He also thought outside of the box, learned from my first canceled cycle and was successful the second time. Where other doctors would have stopped he kept going and tried.
To be honest and to know that he will try his absolute best for you.
Because he connected with me, wanted me to be successful, was completely honest about my odds and yet was rooting for me the entire time.
below were drugs for my first cycle where I had a positive pregnancy, second cycle was the same minus the Letrozole. Both cycles we did extended stim an additional 7 days for a total of 20 days bc of my endometriosis. Medication SIG Quantity Refill Substitution Lupron MD (1:10 dilution) 50 mcg/0.1mL - Vial 1:10 Dilution (1mg/0.2mL), final conc 50 mcg/0.1 mL) Dispense 4 mL vial. Sig: Take 10 units BID as directed. 1 1 DAW Syringe 1/2 cc (U100) Insulin - - - - As directed. 22 1 DAW Follistim AQ Cartridge 300 IU - Injection As directed. 8 1 DAW Menopur w/ Q-cap vial adapters 75 IU - Vial As directed. 13 1 DAW Syringe 3cc 20g 1.5 in - - - - As directed. 14 1 DAW Needle 27g or 29g 0.5 in - - - - As directed. 12 1 DAW Needle 25g 1.5 in - - - - As directed. 2 1 DAW Sharps Container - - - - As directed. 1 0 DAW Letrozole 2.5 mg - Tablets 2 tab po on CD3 - 7 10 1
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat and Marris)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
With drugs a cycle was about $15,000 but that did not include genetic testing.
We did multiple embryo transfer for both. He let me make a decision I was comfortable with.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
My husband and I were so pleased with the first consultation. Dr Li listened to our journey, made suggestions and always respect our feelings. My husband likes to have an analytical response on the probability outcomes and Dr. Li always gave him great answers...As a patient, I always felt that Dr. Li was there for me. We could schedule a phone call with her anytime we wanted to discuss something important, and the most difficult times, when i had the miscarriages she always took time to talk to us. She respected that i wanted to have a little time until i would feel better but at the time she would talk to her I felt the comfort that she knew what i was going thru and she cared for me.
At Pacific fertility center you always do talk to a human being and to make the first consultation appointment as well as any other appointment with your Doctor, Counselor etc. I am very impressed of how efficient the Clinic is 2. The Clinic is very clean and have an amazing decoration, you don't feel you are in the middle of a hospital. 3. While wait in the reception to be called, the view of the pier is incredible, there are lots of magazines for you to pick one and read, the music is very relaxing and you can get a hot beverage as well...
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
As a patient, I always felt that Dr. Li was there for me. We could schedule a phone call with her anytime we wanted to discuss something important, and the most difficult times, when i had the miscarriages she always took time to talk to us. She respected that i wanted to have a little time until i would feel better but at the time she would talk to her I felt the comfort that she knew what i was going thru and she cared for me. We would talk about what happened, and we would do other test like Endometrial Receptivity Array and other blood test to check Immune system issue etc. I always felt so much better after talking to Dr Li. After the transfer of my last embryo and an unsuccessful pregnancy, we had to think what to do. For my surprise, my company announced that our insurance plan added the Infertility treatment but unfortunately PFC is not in the insurance list clinics. The last call that we had with Dr. Li i was in tears and Dr Li said that my dream is the first priority that she will support me and understood that i have to choose another clinic because of the insurance coverage. Dr. Li is an amazing professional but also a wonderful human being. We always had her support and compassion in the years of our journey at PFC.
Dr. Li has lots of knowledge about the infertility issues. Make sure to schedule the appointments either in person or via phone. Make a list of all your questions because she will answer all of them.
In 2014, we decided to choose another Infertility clinic because we were going to move out from Texas and relocate to the Bay Area. After doing some research online, I liked the reviews of Pacific Fertility Center in San Francisco. I had no idea which doctor to pick and when i called to make an appointment on the day that we were available in SF it was Dr Liyun Li who was available. My husband and I were so pleased with the first consultation. Dr Li listened to our journey, made suggestions and always respect our feelings. My husband likes to have an analytical response on the probability outcomes and Dr. Li always gave him great answers. For instance , i had tried for the second time to retrieve my own eggs and check whether we could have a day 5 blastocyst, i knew that being over 40 it would be difficult but we wanted to try. We had a long conversation with Dr. Li about the results. Dr Li. explained every detail and always answered any question we had. When Dr. Li told us that we could still continue to try to retrieve my own eggs because we could get a good quality egg but it would take around 10 or more egg retrievals, she spoke my husbands language, giving us an explanation in the statistic way. We love Dr. Li and we will always be grateful that we had an opportunity to have her as our RE doctor.
I had 4 embryos - day 5 blastocyst and the protocol used was : 1. Ultrasound and blood test on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cycle 2. Start Delestrogene shots -every 2 or 3 days -0.2 ml 3. after 10 days ultrasound and blood test 4. Start Progesterone - Ethyl oleate 1 ml - 5 days prior to Embryo transfer 5. Emnbryo transfer after 5 days of Progesterone shots 6. Continue shots of progesterone every day, and delestrogene 2 x week 7 . after 9 days, blood test HCG Beta 8. if positive continue with progesterone and delestrogene until reach week 9
I don't know how i would survived without the Dr Lis Care team. When I had just a random question, i would send them an email and i always got a response on the same day. When i started to bleed when i was pregnant the nurse would call me in less than an hour and I could make an appointment if I felt something was wrong. I will always be grateful for a special nurse : Lindsay. She is my hero. She used to send me cards by mail, I used to cry with a smile on my face and felt so much happiness when reading her words. She was always checking on me after a negative HCG or a miscarriage and i felt a lot of comfort by having her there at PFC
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
I had to do research while I lived in Texas and here in the San Francisco area and i have to say that Pacific Fertility clinic is really a top on the service. Find below my points. 1. When you choose a new Infertility clinic and you are a new patient, usually you have to talk to a central office or a different number of the clinic. I experienced that i had to answer a questionnaire and leave a detail message on the answering machine, lots of clinics don't answer and you never talk to a human being to make the first consultation, HOWEVER at Pacific fertility center you always do talk to a human being and to make the first consultation appointment as well as any other appointment with your Doctor, Counselor etc. I am very impressed of how efficient the Clinic is 2. The Clinic is very clean and have an amazing decoration, you don't feel you are in the middle of a hospital. 3. While wait in the reception to be called, the view of the pier is incredible, there are lots of magazines for you to pick one and read, the music is very relaxing and you can get a hot beverage as well 4. I had to change the clinic and i need to send historical data , letter from the Counselor etc, i am still sending emails to PFC requesting documents and they are always in contact with me sending me what i need to proceed to the other clinic
I went thru the following procedures: 1. Egg retrieval : Medication around $4000 , each ultrasound $255 , each blood test $150 , hcg test $135 2. frozen Egg donor - total $21000 each embryo transfer : $2900 Embryo Transfer 950.00 US Guidance for Embryo Transfer 315.00 Assisted Hatching 685.00 Prep Embryos 575.00 Thaw Embryos 375.00 Progesterone - $360 3 vials Delestrogene - $230 each vial each ultrasound $255 , each blood test $150 , hcg test $135
I hear a lot of debates regarding to eSET and multiple, but my reaction about just do a eSET was positive, since the goal of the treatment is to have a health baby and a health mom, which for me it's sufficient to approve the eSET
San Francisco

Dr. Ryan was very encouraging even when it felt like a long never ending road, but in the end she was right on and set clear expectations and met them...Although she may not make small talk, she is always there to answer questions and never rushes you...Dr. Ryan was excellent. Although her fist impression on the phone was not the best, in person she explained everything clearly. She proceeded to be very caring, very thorough and I trust her immensely. I would highly recommend her. C
Communication with the nurses [at Pacific Fertility Center] was also easy over email and the online portal kept everything very organized. At times fertility treatment can be overwhelming but the staff, nurses and doctors all make it as easy as it can be....It's a nice space with kind people. They were always on time. The cost were always straightforward. I just wish I had had more assistance coordinating with my insurance company.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan was excellent. Although her fist impression on the phone was not the best, in person she explained everything clearly. She proceeded to be very caring, very thorough and I trust her immensely. I would highly recommend her. Communication with the nurses was also easy over email and the online portal kept everything very organized. At times fertility treatment can be overwhelming but the staff, nurses and doctors all make it as easy as it can be.
I was diagnosed with annovulation a and possible PCOS. I had tried letrozole for several months prior to seeing Dr. Ryan (with my ob/gyn). We tried IUI with letrozole twice without any success. I then had a very successful egg retrieval (34) and had the eggs tested and then frozen (20). We then did the first transfer with only a brief chemical pregnancy, but the second time it worked and I'm now 10 Weeks pregnant.
They were always very clear on what to do next with calendars and always took time to explain all the injections and procedures. They were also very responsive by email and phone.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
I don't remember this off hand but it is all clear on the website. It was straightforward.

22 Eggs Frozen
I can't [remember] if Dr Givens or another dr harvested my eggs. I had such great results and felt so comfortable overall there that it didn't matter. I've met with her twice recently to discuss next steps (turning my frozen eggs into embryos and implantation to become pregnant) and she is open to answering any and all questions I have and new information I may have read up on that she hasn't heard about yet...things are happening quickly in this field.
You are going almost daily if not daily for a week when your eggs are growing and I think I saw a different dr [at Pacific Fertility Center] each day for the sonogram. I liked all but one. Her bedside manner was nonexistent and I think she laughed at one of my questions in a scoffing manner. I already felt like an alien growing eggs and full of hormone shots so I didn't need this dr I had never met acting that way. I gave that feedback during my "exit interview" after my eggs were frozen. T
22 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
During an egg retrieval cycle, you see one of the doctors that's available when you go into the office. You are going almost daily if not daily for a week when your eggs are growing and I think I saw a different dr each day for the sonogram. I liked all but one. Her bedside manner was nonexistent and I think she laughed at one of my questions in a scoffing manner. I already felt like an alien growing eggs and full of hormone shots so I didn't need this dr I had never met acting that way. I gave that feedback during my "exit interview" after my eggs were frozen. They seemed genuinely interested in knowing how I felt about my interaction with that dr. Everyone else was great. I can't rem if Dr Givens or another dr harvested my eggs. I had such great results and felt so comfortable overall there that it didn't matter. I've met with her twice recently to discuss next steps (turning my frozen eggs into embryos and implantation to become pregnant) and she is open to answering any and all questions I have and new information I may have read up on that she hasn't heard about yet...things are happening quickly in this field.
Ask a lot of questions and do your research. For the egg retrieval portion, it's pretty straightforward and takes up a month of your life. I've found that it's better to talk to as many people as possible when moving forward with the rest of the IVF process. There are many more moving parts and things to know.
PFC does a lot of business. That's just a fact and it's obvious when you're in the office and when you call in. This is not really your friendly neighborhood doctors office with just your Dr or a couple docs, it's a practice and a center with a lot going on. I like that it was this way. It feels both high end (makes you think modern and successful in producing live births) and super professional.
The drugs I took were Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix and HCG. I ended up going for a couple more days to let the eggs get even bigger so I needed more Menopur which I was able to pick up at the office (PFC). They keep drugs on hand for this last minute purpose as the rest comes in the mail ahead of your cycle. I ended up with 28 eggs retrieved and 22 were frozen. Given my age at the time of 39.5, I would have to think her protocol worked well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I had a team and email stream with team on it. )
I don't think I had a specific nurse, but I did have a coordinator and team assigned to me. I was able to email my team specifically so the best person could always pick up my question and respond. When you are in your cycle, you are always able to reach someone and get really fast service. I think they work weekends. When I called after hours, a dr called me right back to answer my question.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Strengths: professional, discreet, convenient location to get in and out of, highly qualified doctors, the office feels brand new, fancy fertility lab onsite surrounded by glass so you can see them when leaving, their own egg donation center across the hall from their offices, very responsive when you are an active patient, nice nurses and doctors, your own financial contact who handles your payments and answers any questions you may have.
I think my total fees for egg retrieval in 2014 was $12,000. That included all of my drugs. I think the finance person grossly underestimated how much my drugs would be. The dr. Also added more at the end to let my eggs "cook" a bit more. On their price sheet in 2014, they list X-Cycle Fee as $8,345. They say this includes 4 of each of the following---office visits, ultrasounds, Estradiol as well as one of each of the following---anesthesia, egg retrieval, facility, lab, cryo preservation & one yr of storage ($600). Blood testing, ultrasound and at least one office visit were covered by my insurance as they will not cover fertility treatments, but do pay for "diagnostic procedures and tests provided in connection with infertility evaluation. Office visits and consultation used to diagnose infertility."
Carolyn Givens

IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Liyun Li] was always available to answer questions, in person, over the phone or email. She was aware of my personal situation beyond fertility and was friendly and conversational. She was good at explaining on my level along with science and statistics and was honest about "chance/luck" pkaying a role, for better or worse.
Biggest weakness [at Pacific Fertility Center] is the egg donor agency. I would never recommend them. So much hardship was felt as we went through 2 donors who were discharged during my cycles for undisclosed medical reasons and the third declined to participate, causing us to lose one full year. The clinics response was that we had a bad stroke of luck. After investing $30k, you can imagine how poorly this went over with us, but we felt stuck. They had our money, so we had to keep working with them. Fortunately in the end ourfinal donor worjed out and we had 13 embryos frozen. The clinic side us top notch, frim the Dr's, nurses, staff, hours, i only wish all healthcare could br this good.
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Please refer to my previous response
Ask questions and probe, don't hesitate to call or email with follow-ups.
She was always available to answer questions, in person, over the phone or email. She was aware of my personal situation beyond fertility and was friendly and conversational. She was good at explaining on my level along with science and statistics and was honest about "chance/luck" pkaying a role, for better or worse.
My first cycle was a fresh donor egg cycle requring 3 Rx of shots. In the second and 3rd cycle she recomended Prometrium via vaginal inserts, which i did not care fir and requested shots fir the 3rd round. She urged me to continue w/Prometrium vaginally due to the potentcy and proximity to the uterus it is applied. I took her suggestion hesitantly, however the 3rd round was a success, so worth it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey)
Very kind, sweet, attentive, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Biggest weekness is the egg donor agency. I would never recommend them. So much hardship was felt as we went through 2 donors who were discharged during my cycles for undisclosed medical reasons and the third declibed to oarticipate, causing us to lose one full year. The clinics response was that we had a bad stroke of luck. After investing $30k, you can imagine how poorly this went over with us, but we felt stuck. They had our money, so we had to keep working with them. Fortunately in the end ourfinal donor worjed out and we had 13 embryos frozen. The clinic side us top notch, frim the Dr's, nurses, staff, hours, i only wish all healthcare could br this good.
I believe the total with drugs was approx $18k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
Once provided an incorrect request to lab, misread my OB's lab request and didn't inlude a test. Bith of these caused a delay in results.

2012 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
...On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seem
I think 25K for IVF plus meds plus another 3K to natera for genetics testing, implant 3K each times 2... My case was different that most, because I could get pregnant easily but would miscarry so I think my case required more investigative work and I don't think this PFC is the place for you if you have a complicated history of pregnancies/miscarriages etc...First impressions are great at pfc, everyone is always prompt and informed, I think the nurse to patient ration always felt like 4 to 1. You can reach anyone at any time which is great for your first cycle, you have so many questions and concerns, calls/emails are always promptly returned. I loved the whole acupuncture option there as well, great to have. The docs do feel a bit rushed during the monitoring appointments and it's rare that your doctor performs your transfer or extraction, but i didn't think of this as a negative, the more docs I was exposed to and could ask questions I thought the better. My case was different that most, because I could get pregnant easily but would miscarry so I think my case required more investigative work and I don't think this PFC is the place for you if you have a complicated history of pregnancies/miscarriages etc
2012 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Again, mentioning his affability, he is very likable and an easy communicator. After a successful round of ivf with ccs, I had three frozen chromosomally normal eggs. We implanted one, I became pregnant, but no heartbeat at 7 weeks - having a dnc at week 8 - a few months later I implanted the next one, similar outcome. At this point, I had had 5 miscarriages, 7 pregnancies in 4 years.....with one naturally conceived easy live birth so I knew that I could carry to term. I had every blood test under the sun, always normal. I kept asking dr. herbert, 'is there anything that you can think of that would be causing these miscarriages?',...'should we check for anything else before we implant my last frozen egg?', His answer was fair for sure, 'could be anything, we never really know..let's do a medicated implantation this time' (more costly and time consuming for me) Before implanting my last egg, I sought a second option with ucsf, within one hour of meeting me they did a sonogram of my uterus and determined that I had a significant amount of scar tissue in my uterus due to all the pregnancies and dnc's over the last few years. Since I always miscarried around week 8, they determined that this was the most likely cause, the embryo simply couldn't grow any bigger. On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seems that an easy routine test in the form of a thorough sonogram could have prevented so much heartbreak, let alone time and money.
Be your own advocate
dr. herbert has a great bed side manner, he is very likable and charming, a great salesman if you will. I had 5 natural pregnancies in 3 years, including only one live birth and one down's syndrome termination, so he and I both felt that IVF would be very successful and it was it terms of egg's retrieved.
basic IVF, 12 days on meds, I responded well to meds and 17 eggs were retrieved. I should mention I was 41 at the time and exceeds all stats etc.
Nurses were all great, compassionate and communicated everything very well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
7 pregnancies in 4 years, 5 conceived naturally, one live birth, one terminated downs pregnancies and a total of 5 miscarriages - two of which were eggs from my ivf with ccs, so normal eggs. A second option determined a septum had grown in my uterus most likely due to all the pregnancies - my uterus was septum free prior to pregnancy number 3, so it grew it that last two years. Shocking that nobody ever noticed this at PFC

2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr Herbert] has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
During the process I felt the communication between the doctors office [Pacific Fertility Center] and myself was very poor and i often felt confused about what was going on....I thought my coordinator was very good. She walked me through all of the steps and always kept in touch with me when things changed and provided me with a detailed calendar after each visit. My experience with the nurses was not as great. There were several instances where there was a miscommunication and I always left my conversations with them feeling uncertain. I also had a terrible experience on the day of my retrieval. The nurse that got me set up and did my IV was obviously new and very nervous. She was vocal to me about how nervous she was and was literally shaking as she was trying to put my IV in. After the procedure she told me how many eggs they got my failed to tell me what they didnt know yet how many they could freeze. She also didnt tell me that a nurse would call me the next day to tell me how successful it was.
2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
He has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
Don't go into it expecting him to cushion the blow. He is up front and realistic which can be good, but also hard for someone who may be emotional and having a hard time.
His bedside manner is not ideal, but also not terrible. During the process I felt the communication between the doctors office and myself was very poor and i often felt confused about what was going on. When I was one on one with Dr. Herbert during an appointment it was a bit better.
I wasn't given much explanation for the protocol used. I now now (only since I have been to another doctor) that he used the long protocol. I took estrogen pills before my cycle and then went on to menopur, follistim and ganirelix for about 9 days. My menopur was 150/night and follistim was around 350/night. He didn't explain there were different options so I assumed this was the only one. During my cycle he also upped my dosage and it wasn't clear why he did that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Letty was my coordinator but i didnt have a specific nurse)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is beautiful! Very quiet, clean and has amazing views. It is never too crowded so it is a nice place to sit and wait to be seen. All the staff in the office are professional and dress professionally.
my insurance didn't cover anything besides the initial visit so I paid for all ultrasounds as well as the procedure cost, Anastasia, and meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
There were some minor instances where I was given the wrong information from a nurse. During a review of how to use the injections a new nurse gave me the wrong information. Luckily, later that day I was still confused so I called the office and spoke to another nurse and got the right information. It's a good thing I called back. There was also an instance when it was clear the nurses did not communicate properly and gave me conflicting information.

2010 - 2015
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying...I think if you are not successful with a protocol or a doctor, ask them to change things.
[Nurse Marris] was always responsive, never left me hanging or waiting for important results. I had other nurses where I had to check their work and make sure they got my prescriptions right, for example. I could really trust Marris.
2010 - 2015
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
I liked Dr. Herbert in general, he was kind and friendly enough. But I would say the warmest/most compassionate doctor in the practice is Schrioc. He proably has the best bedside manner/warmth. Over the course of the many years I was at PFC, I had appointments with all of the doctors, as they cover for each other for u/s and all the way to retrievals and transfers. Dr. Herbert would get on the phone and answer questions and was responsive. It's looking back that I'm not sure he was as creative with treating my infertility. I had 3 retrievals and many transfers there - and don't think there were very many changes to my protocol. That being said, when I asked for some things, for example, for them to let all of my embryos "have a chance" and grow them out and freeze them, even if they were low quality, he let me. He let me transfer them too. Those "bad" embryos at least got me pregnant, though I did miscarry. My current clinic would not have frozen or transferred those low quality embryos. The fact that Dr. Herbert did and I got pregnant, gave me hope to continue - as that was my first pregnancy ever. Had my 1st round of IVF not produced a pregnancy at all, I think we would have quit. So bottom line, I found him more open to listening to my wishes, in that sense and letting me decide. I think that was a good thing. On the other hand, I did bring up a concern with transferring fresh embryos when I am an endometrios patient (a disease that flares up with hormones). He wasn't very open to exploring this and we continued to transfer my best embryos in fresh transfers. My current clinic said they would not have done this with me, full of stim meds. In fact, the trend overall now, is to mostly do FETs. I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying.
I think if you are not successful with a protocal or a doctor, ask them to change things. They should learn from the data they have on your cycles. I would also ask them for their success rates with people similar to you. PFC is a big enough clinic now that nothing should be completely new to them. If it is - I would find another clinic. You don't want to be any clinic's guinea pig.
When I first started at PFC, they weren't very patient-centric. I was learning all of this new terminology and how everything worked - and had to be the translater between their different departments (that didn't talk to one another). This was a tremendous stress and burdent on me as a new patients - to check their work and keep them on track, when there was no way for me to know their process or even the fertility process for that matter. I made suggestions, and others must have complained too - b/c they then established teams for each doctor. So you would work with the same group who knew you and your treatment plan. This was a big improvement. And once I got a great nurse, it was much, much better. Though I am no longer with PFC, I have still had occasion to reach out to my nurse at PFC for updates and very rarely, some advice. That tipped the scales to feeling more "human".
Too long ago and too many to remember specifically. I know I used Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide. My FETs were (mostly) unmedicated. I got 15 eggs on two rounds, 17 on another. So not a lot of variance there. We tended to have about an 80% fertilization rate. My embryos didn't do well between day 3 and 5 in the lab, so for my 2nd and 3rd round we froze on day 3. I had a few pregnancies, and all ended in m/c - some early and one 2nd trimester. No living children to date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marris)
As mentioned before, once they established teams, things were WAY better. Then you had one person managing and overseeing the whole process. Marris was my primary contact and I think she went above and beyond for me many times. She advocated for me, she showed tremendous compassion during the tough times and losses. She became almost a friend and I feel she shared things with me about personal experiences to help me on my journey. I felt extremely luck to have her. She was always responsive, never left me hanging or waiting for important results. I had other nurses where I had to check their work and make sure they got my prescriptions right, for example. I could really trust Marris. She is no longer in the same role, as far as I know, she is now a retrieval nurse. I'm sure she is wonderful there too, but is no longer the day-to-day contact for patients, which is a loss for PFC patients!
In 2010, I think IUIs were roughly $2,000 plus meds. For our second & third ERs we did a plan that allowed you to do two ERs if you didn't get pregnant, at a slight discount. That was in the mid-$20,000 range - drugs, monitoring and additional transfers were all in addition to that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
It's hard to remember all of details now. I know had issues with lack of communication between departments several times. There was a lot of "you need to talk to x about that/not my department." It was frustrating when you were just trying to get through the process to be bounced around and manage up. And there were times that I didn't know I was supposed to be the middle man and it held things up at cricital junctures and then it felt like I was asking special favors to just keep moving. I'm no longer at PFC and about a year after my last treatment, they sent me a bill for several hundred dollars. They claimed it was some unpaid portion of a FET. I am all OOP and had to pay my bills at the time of service, it's not like they were waiting on insurance or something. So it was odd of them to claim I hadn't paid in real time AND wait a year to bill me. I refused to pay and spoke to several people in billing about this. They agreed it was wrong to charge me. Just recently, I got another email saying I owed $ still. I keep having the same conversation over and over. The real rub is - while they continue to ask for this $, this month they refused to do my outside monitoring for my new clinic. I know this is unrelated to this bill - it's their "new policy". It just left me wondering how many unsuccessful patients they must have asking for outside monitoring, if they are refusing?? I found this very disappointing, after all the time & $ I spent there without success that they would not support me as I continue to try to build a family. Not having the continuity/having to find a 3rd clinic for just this piece has been stressful.