Pacific Fertility Center LA

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Bakersfield
1808 Verdugo Blvd
Glendale, CA 91208
10921 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90024
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center LA to a friend?
2 doctors
[Pacific Fert Ctr ] Strengths: Dr Evans! The offer a payment plan if needed. Weaknesses: the clinic for actual procedures (egg retreivals and embryo transfers) is on the west side of LA, so it’s not conveniently located in relation to her Glendale office....Dr Evans nursing staff was very kind and compassionate....First IVF cycle $7800 Second and third IVF cycles $4200 PGS total $4000 First Embryo transfer $2800
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr Evans connected with us like individuals with our own journey. We had recurrent miscarriages before becoming her patient and she expressed compassion and sympathy for all we’d been through. She suggested screenings and tests to figure out more about our history and gave us advice based on research. She is the perfect blend or heart and brains. I trust her completely and know she has our best interest at heart.
Dr Evans nursing staff was very kind and compassionate.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Michele Evans is a smart, experienced, knowledgeable doctor who has compassion and care for her patients. She has been honest with us throughout our treatment and truly wants the best for us. At times she has had to deliver bad news, but she did it with care and compassion. I feel like she is direct and clear without being blunt or hurtful. I see her for every visit and she is accessible by email. I always hear back from her within the same day, even on weekends. If I need anything I know she will be available to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Trust Dr Evans and know that she will treat you like an individual and not a number. Even if you are a “tough case” she will always try to help if she can.
Describe the protocols Michele Evans used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
Dr Evans did IVF with PGS with us. We have a history of recurrent pregnancy loss due to chromosomal abnormalities in the babies, so we did PGS to make sure we were transferring a normal embryo. For the egg stimulation we used menupur and follistim. During the transfer phase we used progesterone injections and estrogen pills.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Describe Michele Evans's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
She recommended single embryo transfer to reduce risks involved with pregnancies of multiples. If the embryo quality was lower she was open to transferring two embryos to increase the chances of pregnancy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
The nursing staff [at Pacific Fertility Center] was very friendly, and I loved how they all knew me by name. Every visit they made sure to make me feel welcomed. They were very good at calling in medication and keeping me updated...$18,000 for the first round of IVF and transfer. $4,000 Each additional frozen transfer...This clinic is amazing. I love that you can get an appointment last minute. They are always willing to fit you in and make sure your on the right schedule. They are very busy, but they make sure to stay on time. I travel 2 hours and I am happy to know that I will be scene right away.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Kalan cared about my husband and I. He felt our love and need for a child. He knew that it would be a challenge to get us pregnant with all of our infertility issues, but he made a promise to us that he would never give up. He gave us his personal cell number and always checked to see how we were doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Amber)
The nursing staff was very friendly, and I loved how they all knew me by name. Every visit they made sure to make me feel welcomed. They were very good at calling in medication and keeping me updated.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
My husband and I have a special place in our heart for Dr. Kalan. He has given us the best gift ever, and I could never repay him. My husband and I had seen a few fertility specialist over the 5 years of TTC, and right when we met Dr. Kalan I knew we had found our match. He made my husband and I so calm during this emotional process and guided us through each step of IVF. The two hour drive to his office and two hour drive back home was way worth it to us. Dr. Kalan never gave up on us and told us that we would get pregnant. With his expertise, he gave us a protocol that would finally make our frozen transfer work! We now have a beautiful 15 month old boy and are currently working with Dr. Kalan for our next child. I would highly recommend Dr. Kalan to any who is unfortunately dealing with infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
It is always scary to start this emotional process but having Dr. Kalan on your side will give you the comfort and strength you need to go through this journey.
Describe the protocols Marc Kalan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
I used Bravell and Menopur to increase follicle size. I got 5 frozen embryos using ICSI and we genetically tested them. The first two IVF frozen transfers (1 embryo each time) came out negative. Before IVF, I was having recurring miscarriages and Dr. Kalan wanted some answers to why. He had a few test done that revealed that I have antiphospholipid syndrome and that I am heterozygous for the mthfr gene mutation. After the findings of this information, Dr. Kalan came out with a plan to get us pregnant. The next IVF cycle, we added lovenox shots and intralipid infusion. We did the intralipid infusion an hour before transfer. This third frozen transfer was a success, and I know have a beautiful 16 month boy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Describe Marc Kalan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Dr. Kalan encouraged single embryo transfer but was open to two embryo transfers. In my case, my embryos were tested and normal, so he encouraged one embryo and I agreed.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Kala [at Pacific Fertility Center LA] did try to work with our budget. I was a grant recipient and he offered an additional discount. I felt like he was mindful of our finances when suggesting options... I think the doctor and clinic are just too busy and need more help. Scheduling is tough, and I was met with mixed emotions about it. I think they do care, but are too rushed sometimes to convey that the way they may wish to.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
As I mentioned earlier, I think the doctor and clinic are just too busy and need more help. Scheduling is tough, and I was met with mixed emotions about it. I think they do care, but are too rushed sometimes to convey that the way they may wish to.
I must admit, I felt like the level of service was hot and cold with Dr. Kalan and the clinic. I appreciated that I actually saw him at my appointments, but I had to work around his very difficult/tight schedule (and no weekend appointments), which became very problematic for me. And I did not feel much sympathy there. Initially, I was responding very well to treatment, which was well received. But later when we did not get the results we had hoped for, I did feel a bit dismissed. I guess I just never felt like the team was necessarily on my side.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I feel conflicted about the nursing staff. Again, I received hot and cold service. My main two nurses could be very nice to my face, especially one of them (who was more consistent). But one time I showed up for my appointment, made eye contact with the nurse, then was told by reception that my nurse was out to lunch and I would need to wait to meet with someone else. After rearranging my schedule that day, and driving over an hour to get there, I thought it was insensitive that she would not meet with me for five minutes before handing me over to someone else. But on the flip side, she gave me her personal cell number and was there for me when I texted her late one night, which was very kind. I did not find one of the front staff receptionists helpful or warm. I would have liked to book next appointments while I was there, especially since it was very hard to fit in to the schedule, as the doctor travels between several clinics - one in Bakersfield. To note, the staff I was speaking of are at Dr. Kalan's new clinic, Los Angeles Reproductive Center. I did like the staff at Pacific Fertility LA, who helped with my egg retrieval. Overall, I just feel like Dr. Kalan and the clinic are getting very busy and may need to hire more help to continue to give the quality care they desire.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I did appreciate Dr. Kalan being available for each visit. And when I asked, he did review details with me and help explain results. He also did try to work with my budget and to see if there was any way to work with disappointing results, which I appreciated. I didn't necessarily feel like he really empathized with our setbacks, which I had heard was a strong trait. I often did not hear back from him in a timely manner, especially important when we were waiting on results and corresponding medication instructions. I do feel like he was up on the latest technology and willing to think outside of the box, which I liked.
I have said this in my other reviews, you have to be your own advocate. I did have to ask many questions and follow up with the doctor and staff several times for clarification. Also, don't be afraid to mention alternatives if you feel strongly about them. Luckily, Dr. Kalan is pretty open there. I would say you do have to have a pretty flexible schedule, the plus and minus of seeing Dr. Kalan at each appointment.
I appreciated Dr. Kalan's suggestion of using milder stimulants, which I wanted to try given my situation. I was on the standard protocol utilizing Menopur and Gonal F, and later Cetrotide. As mentioned, we started out with fantastic results, many eggs retrieved/fertilized/sent for genetic testing. But unfortunately, we ended up with negative results. I do feel like Dr. Kalan tried to consider all avenues. We are considering next steps.
Dr. Kalan did try to work with our budget. I was a grant recipient and he offered an additional discount. I felt like he was mindful of our finances when suggesting options.
Dr. Kalan's policy is to do eSET. I am fine with that decision.
Los Angeles
I think that this is a newer practice [Pacific Fert Ctr LA] of only two doctors and they were experiencing growing pains in the beginning. I think that the nurses are getting better and better and my nurse- Amber, is so sweet and trys her hardest to get me what I need. She is available via email and most always gets back to me on the same day... I think that their weakness is ordering meds on time and in the right amounts for my insurance to approve in time. I also think its best to stay on top of the financial coordinator.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I think that Dr Kalan is the biggest strength. I know that Dr Winkler is great as well, from other patients. I think that their weakness is ordering meds on time and in the right amounts for my insurance to approve in time. I also think its best to stay on top of the financial coordinator.
He is down to earth and has wonderful interpersonal communication skills. He cares and has shown me that he really wants to help me have a baby.
I think that this is a newer practice of only two doctors and they were experiencing growing pains in the beginning. I think that the nurses are getting better and better and my nurse- Amber, is so sweet and trys her hardest to get me what I need. She is available via email and most always gets back to me on the same day.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I believe that Dr. Kalan is smart and has the experience to have successful outcomes. He is open to my ideas and feelings about various treatment plans. He doesn't like to do the same type of protocol over and over again. He has changed my protocol with every round. Most importantly, I know that he cares for my well-being and genuinely wants me to have a baby in the end. I've had four miscarriages since I started treatments with him, but I look at it like he is the one that has helped to get pregnant in the first place, after a year and a half of trying. I respect his opinion and I have faith that he will do his best to give me the best outcome possible. I'm not sure if this is important, but my husband likes him just as much as I do.
I would tell them that he is smart, listens and wants to help them. Just stay on top of billing and nurses when they order meds.
HSG Clomid- one month, but had to stop due to blurry vision. Got pregnant, then miscarried, had to have a D&C- result Chromosomal issue. Letrozol- nothing Letrozol- following cyclye- had to stop due to cyst. Pregnant the following month. Used Misoprostol. IUI w/ Letrozol, ectopic. Took Methtrexate. IVF #1- 7 eggs retrieved, 2 sent to PGS, none passed IVF#2- 6 eggs retrieved, 2 sent to PGS, none passed IVF#3- 7 eggs retrieved, 3 sent to PGS, 1 passed Transfer- pregnant, beta levels dropped, chemical IVF#4- 11 eggs retrieved, 5 sent to PGS, 1 normal. HSG #2 to detect growths of fibroids Hysterscopy scheduled this week. Transfer next cycle - hopefully
can't remember exactly pgs 7k ivf-14k biopsy for pgs 1000 pgs $250/ add'l embryo after 8 embryos tested transfer 3k
He likes to do PGS for older patients and will only transfer a single embryo that has been tested. He did say that if we did an untested cycle, he'd be willing to transfer one more, but like to only transfer singles.
5 IVF, 5 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Sarah [a nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA] has been wonderful to work with. She is open, honest, communicates in a timely fashion, and answers my many questions. She has worked hard to help keep our medication costs down too, which I really appreciate.... Strengths: personal attention in Glendale office, doesn't feel like your typical fertility clinic, really getting to know RE and staff Weaknesses: I don't like going to the Westwood office for retrievals and transfers. It's not as friendly and welcoming, and parking is really expensive!
5 IVF, 5 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
My first clinic was a fertility factory. Michele Evans has always been prepared for our meetings, stays on top of current research, has been really honest with us about our chances with each cycle, and truly listens to our questions and concerns. She takes her time with us -- even though I know her schedule is packed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Ortiz)
Sarah has been wonderful to work with. She is open, honest, communicates in a timely fashion, and answers my many questions. She has worked hard to help keep our medication costs down too, which I really appreciate.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Michele Evans provides compassionate care during a really intense, difficult time. My cycles with my own eggs did not have a good outcome, but I'm still happy with the care I received. I've always felt supported, well-informed, well-cared for, and like Michele hasn't given up on me. (We just had to change our goalpost from having our genetic child to starting a family using donor eggs and donor sperm.)
If you're looking for the personal touch in an increasingly impersonal field, go see Michele for a consultation. Talk with her. Ask her all your questions. Pick her brain. Don't forget that this is a partnership between patient and doctor -- and know that Michele hasn't forgotten that either. She balances compassion, expectations and reality really well.
Third OE cycle (first with Michele Evans): agonist with HGH, Follistim, Ganerelix, Menopur -- 4 retrieved, 1 fertilized, 0 blastocyts Fourth OE cycle (second with Michele Evans): agonist with Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Menopur -- 6 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 1 blastocyst (PGS abnormal) Fifth OE cycle (third with Michele Evans): agonist with Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Menopur - 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts (both PGS abnormal)
It all blends together, since we've done three OE cycles and now a donor/donor cycle there. They've worked with us to help keep costs down when possible, which we really appreciate. They also allowed us to use an interest-free payment plan to help finance our treatment.
Michele's strong preference is eSET, and she has been completely open about that. She has cited recent studies in her argument for why eSET is best.
6 IUI, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
The office staff [at Pacific Fertility Center in LA] is excellent. They are easy to contact and very friendly and patient. We've been coming for a while so they know us and I feel like they are all rooting for us. We've worked primarily with Cynthia and also Sarah- they've both been excellent...6 iuis with frozen sperm and letrozole, all negative. She prefers letrozole to clomid. She encouraged me to be more aggressive earlier on, after 3 or 4 iuis. I wasn't ready, but we are back now going through the reciprocal IVF process. Dr. Evans was respectful of our pacing and didn't push us. I wish now that we had moved on more quickly, as she suggested, but that was our choice.
6 IUI, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
It's excellent. We feel fortunate to have found it. We feel very comfortable and supported.
Dr. Evans consistently takes the time to thoroughly answer all our questions. I feel like I've learned so much from her. She always remembers all the details of our case at each stage and has given us careful and considerate guidance throughout. I briefly had to see another doctor for a procedure so that my insurance would cover it and the quality of Dr. Evans' care was absolutely striking in comparison. She also responds quickly to emails and has set up an office with excellent communication.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia)
The office staff is excellent. They are easy to contact and very friendly and patient. We've been coming for a while so they know us and I feel like they are all rooting for us. We've worked primarily with Cynthia and also Sarah- they've both been excellent.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Evans is extremely knowledgeable and also very personable. She is kind and straightforward and does truly seem to care about her patients. We are still in process with reciprocal IVF, after 6 failed iuis, so it's been a hard road. She is professional, patient and clear and makes the process as easy as possible, under the circumstances.
Bring a list of questions and ask her to explain anything you don't understand. She will take the time to go though it all with you and gives excellent explanations.
$250 per ultrasound and per iui insemination, $300 initial consultation. IVF rates are posted on their website.
Dr. Evans encourages PGS testing, and and a single transfer of a tested embryo. We elected to do the testing and agree with this protocol. Not sure what she would recommend without the testing.
Glendale
My 1st few interactions with the nursing staff [at Pacific Fertility Center] was great but as time went on it got more chaotic and I never knew whom to speak with. Didn't always give me the correct medication usage amounts-I had to call to clarify. Billing staff was not always accurate- I had to correct them more than once. Sarah and Ananda were pleasant enough. Cynthia I usually preferred not to deal with...Dr. Evans was present at almost every appointment I had. I didn't just see a nurse. There was a lack of information about medication that I wished Dr.Evans had gone more in depth with me about. She is very caring and honest about the treatment she thinks would be best for you. Her staff never informed me they had moved offices and there was no sign indicating anything. Every appointment was on time and I never waited longer than 10 minutes in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
The biggest issue was not telling patients you moved offices in the building. Calm and quiet waiting room-- good bathroom facilities. New office is more clinical and less homey than the last office. Really not good a drawing blood
My 1st few interactions with the nursing staff was great but as time went on it got more chaotic and I never knew whom to speak with. Didn't always give me the correct medication usage amounts-I had to call to clarify. Billing staff was not always accurate- I had to correct them more than once. Sarah and Ananda were pleasant enough. Cynthia I usually preferred not to deal with
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I was referred by a friend of a friend who used Dr.Evans for IVF. I liked her from the get go. She understood my job was very time consuming and each appointment was always on time. She eased my mind by performing my 2nd HSG test since the 1st was a horrible experience i wasn't looking forward to. After my chemical pregnancy she sat down with me to go over the next step- all very thoughtful and understanding.
Take notes! So much information. Be your own advocate about asking questions and don't be shy.
so many blood tests to start off with. Putting me on Levothyroxine .025 mg to help lower my thyroid level. Started me on prenatal vitamins, CoQ10, Vitamin D. Had an HSG test (found polyps- had them removed) Took 2.5 mg of Letrozole for all 3 IUI cycles. Monitored with ultrasounds and used trigger shot (ovidrel). On my 3rd IUI after a positive pregnancy test I did Estradiol 1mg (2x) and Crinone suppositories (2x). Our protocol will change in the future when I try again.
I was lucky to have great insurance. Each IUI was $250 My insurance covered all ultrasounds. Each appointment was just my copay at $45
Glendale
So far, no complaints [of the staff at Pacific Fertility Center in Los Angeles]. Arielle has been prompt, organized and very responsible in making sure we understand our protocol. She has been good at explaining how to use the medications and has answered questions. She organized a genetic test for our donor (he lives out of state). She is also warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I've been to two locations. Both are very nice, clean, peaceful. The Encino location has incredible views. The location in WLA has a bit of a feminine touch. Is a bit more upscale. I like it.
Marc Kalan has a beautifully warm nature. He is very caring and compassionate. Additionally, he is equally professional, methodical and thorough. He is up to date with the latest in science as well. Each and every visit my wife and I have, we feel seen and heard. We never had a long wait and were treated with the up most respect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Arielle Acosta)
So far, no complaints. Arielle has been prompt, organized and very responsible in making sure we understand our protocol. She has been good at explaining how to use the medications and has answered questions. She organized a genetic test for our donor (he lives out of state). She is also warm and friendly.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Again, he is very warm, friendly, kind and overall he seems like a great guy. He treated my wife and I with the up most respect. Additionally, he is equally professional, methodical and very thorough. He is also up to date with science. He patiently explains every detail and answers all questions never leaving you feeling rushed. He has gone above and beyond what my wife and I expected from a doctor. We are very grateful to him.
Be prepared to be well taken care of. Marc Kalan is an exceptional doctor.
We used a total of 4 medications not including the trigger shot. Because I have PCOS, we decided early on to use medications that would be conducive to someone with PCOS. Example, the trigger shot is pure lupron allowing for ovulation to occur without promoting further growth of the follicles. This reduces the risk of hyper stimulation. We also decided that we are using a frozen embryo transfer in place of fresh. Marc has seen better results this way. In my research, I agree with this approach. We also are using a human growth hormone to minimize fragmentation of embryos. In past, my embryos while not severely fragmented has some fragmentation. This is an entirely new approach from all other doctors I have seen. I'm mid cycle now and have about 40 possible eggs to retrieve however Marc and I decided it best not to push to get 40. Our goal is to get 15-20 not compromising quality for quantity.
Dr. Kalan offered us a discount as we have been through a total of 9 IVFs between my wife and I, not counting the IUI's and donor sperm. I believe in total our treatment for 1 IVF cycle is adding up to be $18,000 including PGD. We used a non-profit to cover the cost of our medications.
2013 - 2014
For my first IUI [at Pacific Fertility Center] I did it naturally (i.e. no drugs), when that didn't work, we moved to using Clomid for my second cycle with a trigger shot -- that was AWFUL, at least for me -- I have chronic depression and was off all of my meds to get pregnant (and planned on being off them throughout the pregnancy), and I had a severe depressive episode in reaction to the Clomid (a known side-effect). For my final try, my third cycle, I believe I went back to no drugs. Again, I was unsuccessful though.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
The clinic itself is *gorgeous* -- obviously there's a lot of money in being a fertility doctor! I started treatment just as they were completing renovations, and that was a few years ago, so can't speak for how it is now in terms of aesthetics, but they have a coffee machine available in the waiting room, fully stocked restrooms, and everyone from the receptionists to the accounting people are very welcoming and compassionate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Catherine DeUgarte at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. DeUgarte and her staff were always so welcoming, warm and kind. No question was too awkward or stupid, and they all were very professional, but in a lovely, personable manner.
It was a while ago, so I can't remember specific details, but I always felt very comfortable, welcome and in good hands with the nursing staff. They all appeared to really enjoy their jobs and had great chemistry together (respectful communications, laughing, etc.) while staying attentive to my needs.
How was your experience with Catherine DeUgarte at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I liked Dr. DeUgarte from the moment I met her. Although she was very busy, I never felt rushed out of her office and she even gave me her mobile number so that I could contact her with any questions or concerns in her off-hours. I rarely used it, although I did a couple of times, as I wanted to respect her time off.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Catherine DeUgarte at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I don't think any advice needs to be given... she's a wonderful doctor, kind, caring, compassionate, and I haven't hesitated to recommend her to others in the past.
Describe the protocols Catherine DeUgarte used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
For my first IUI I did it naturally (i.e. no drugs), when that didn't work, we moved to using Clomid for my second cycle with a trigger shot -- that was AWFUL, at least for me -- I have chronic depression and was off all of my meds to get pregnant (and planned on being off them throughout the pregnancy), and I had a severe depressive episode in reaction to the Clomid (a known side-effect). For my final try, my third cycle, I believe I went back to no drugs. Again, I was unsuccessful though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Catherine DeUgarte at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Unfortunately it was a while ago, so I don't remember. However, Dr. DeUgarte worked with my insurance with regard to blood tests, genetic testing, and other tests that were required so that I paid little out of pocket for those services. My insurance did not cover the IUI procedures themselves, and the clinic offered "packages" to help reduce the cost of each procedure. I elected to pay for each IUI separately, as I didn't expect to have any trouble getting pregnant, but in the end I was unsuccessful and would have saved some money if I purchased a package.
Describe Catherine DeUgarte's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I have no experience with this.
Catherine DeUgarte
2011 - 2014
8 IUI, 5 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
They [the staff at Pacific Fertility Center in LA] were disorganized... It was utter chaos... I called and cajoled and begged and then when they were sick of me bothering them, they finally emailed me the chart and I forwarded it on to the other clinic... In fertility, one can't wait a month for information to be passed along.
2011 - 2014
8 IUI, 5 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. DeUgarte was absolutely the most lovely and loving human being. I had her cellphone number and she was always receptive to my calls. I feel like she genuinely cared for me and that she still does. She ran into a patient who I referred to her and she asked after me. Her care team there was a little chaotic. I zoomed in on 2 techs (the office seems to call them nurses but they aren't nurses) whom I liked and requested them with every visit and felt very well taken care of by them.
It was utter chaos. I don't believe any of the nurses were actually nurses, but were techs. They were young and didn't seem professional. I did better once I identified the 2 I liked and requested them for every visit.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
How was your experience with Catherine DeUgarte at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
She is a wonderful human being and I believe a good doctor. I don't how aggressively she looks for modifications to a treatment plan. We did 3 fresh transfers. I didn't know much about FET until after I had switched doctors. After 2 failed transfers, why didn't we try an FET the 3rd time? I had 3 blasts, so they should have been able to freeze them. This option was never even discussed. As a person, I really care about her but I don't believe I would refer anyone to her given that we did 3 retrievals and 3 transfers and had no pregnancies. She did get a friend of mine pregnant with twins (the friend who referred me to Dr. D.)
To join an infertility support group like I did. This was where I learned everything I've learned. That they can better direct their own care and procedures since Dr. D. didn't behave like a detective to figure out what was wrong and how she could change up the protocol for better results.
Catherine DeUgarte
2005 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
The clinic [Pacific Fertility] was clean and organized and centrally located. We had positive experiences there with all of our visits...it was a positive experience and we felt that the nurses that we worked with were compassionate and knowledgeable...we paid for three IVF procedures rather than one at a time. I think the cost of the time for three was around $18- 20,000. If a successful pregnancy did not result, the percentage of the money would've been returned .
2005 - 2011
European, East Asian
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
The clinic was clean and organized and centrally located. We had positive experiences there with all of our visits.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
He met with us and was candid and personable through the entire process.
Our experience with the nurses was over 10 years ago, so it is difficult to remember other than it was a positive experience and we felt that the nurses that we worked with were compassionate and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr Sahakian was candid, knowledge and personable through the whole process. He was able to explain the process and different alternatives to us in a language that we understood. Although we had two unsuccessful IVF attempts, when we finally did get pregnant on the third attempt, we were, and are happy with the results and our now nine-year-old triplets !
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Don't be afraid to ask questions and take notes, Dr Sahakian was able to answer all of our questions and we felt confident in his abilities as our fertility doctor.
Describe the protocols Vicken Sahakian used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
We are a gay male couple and used a surrogate for IVF. Our first attempt using fresh embryos resulted in a miscarriage early in the pregnancy. Our second attempt with the use of leftover frozen embryos did not result in a pregnancy at all. We then changed egg donors, and used the same surrogate. Our third and final attempt, with fresh embryos that we allowed to go to blastocyst, resulted in triplets. They were carried 33 weeks and 3 days and were born healthy and did not need to go to the NICU.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
It's been over 10 years, honestly I don't remember the exact costs I believe we paid for three IVF procedures rather than one at a time. I think the cost of the time for three was around $18- 20,000. If a successful pregnancy did not result, the percentage of the money would've been returned .
Describe Vicken Sahakian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
We choose to do a transfer with three embryos because it was our third and final attempt and we wanted to be sure of a pregnancy. We were not expecting triplets, and Dr Sahakian gave us the statistics in detail, So we choose to implant three embryos and it turned out to be a blessing.
2007 - 2010
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Every time I walked in the PFC I felt welcome. From Nicole at the front desk, to the nursing and cycle coordinators. Some days I left like they wanted it to happen for me more than I did - lol. They were amazing...The clinic as organized, rarely if ever behind schedule, everyone was always on top of their game. I spent a LOT of time there and don't ever remember feeling stressed or bothered.
2007 - 2010
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Dr. Sahakian was always kind, aware of my feelings. He took time to explain where we were in the process, and field questions with patience and grace.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
How was your experience with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Sahakian was my second Doctor after I spent a year at a different clinic. The Dr. at the first clinic was very kind, but not aggressive in his approach. I spent a year doing 6 shots a day, 3 different drugs, garnering one egg each cycle. Nowhere did he say let's step this up and use an egg donor. In my first meeting with Dr. Sahakian he got right to the point, which I loved, but his delivery was very kind. After 3 failed IVF's with my first set of donors (one miscarriage), he diligently shifted to having me go through immunology testing in order to find out why I wasn't getting pregnant with donor eggs. We then switched donors and lead to my successful pregnancy and delivery of my twin girls.
Expect Dr. Sahakian to be direct with his approach, yet kind in his delivery. You will always know where things stand, and what's around the bend.
I recall he offered a package plan for 3 IVFs. If you did not get pregnant to 12 weeks (not sure of time frame it's been 9 years) he would refund tou $12k. I wished I used it! I got pregnant on the third IVF and lost the baby at 9 weeks. I signed up for the package deal with my second set of donors and Murphy's law would have it that I got pregnant with my twins on the first IVF in that package. I would encourage anyone to use the deal. It ends up saving you money no matter what.
Los Angeles
I am unsure of the exact amount [costs at Pacific Fertility Center LA] but it was in line with other doctors we met with...Dr Evans recommended one embryo at a time...The egg retrieval and embryo transfer took place in Westwood. That office is very busy but the visits to her office in Glendale were wonderful. The office in Westwood is beautiful and very clean with an attentive staff...The office is cozy and her personality is very warm and supportive. The office is calming and she is the only doctor in the Glendale office. Visiting her office is a very pleasant experience along with the way she treats you. You can tell she loves what she does and cares.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr Evans is very measured in her delivery when explaining the process of IVF and sets realistic expectations. She is warm and optimistic and answers all of your questions thoroughly. She explained the risks as well as the unknown factors that may result from egg retrieval to the chances of live birth.
If you want to attempt the long, often difficult journey of IFV and not be treated like a number then Michelle Evans is the doctor for you. You really get a sense that she cares about you. We met with many doctors and we knew after the consultation with her that she was the person we wanted to work with on this expensive and difficult journey.
Harmones, egg retrieval, PGS testing and then embryo transfer. We had two normal embryos. We implanted one in 2015 which resulted in a healthy baby girl and then another one in 2017 which resulted in a healthy baby boy in 2018.
I am unsure of the exact amount but it was in line with other doctors we met with.
Dr Evans recommended one embryo at a time.
Glendale
Maggie [nurse at the Pacific Fertility Center] is great! She gave me her personal cell number, and would take my calls and text at all hours and weekends. Great bedside manner as well...Waiting rooms and exam rooms are very clean, appts are easy to make with the front desk, parking in the building is easy. I can't think of any weaknesses -- compared to other clinics/ drs offices, they are a dream!
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nurit Winkler at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Amazing bedside manner; she really cares about her patients. She always remembered what we'd talked about in my previous appointments, so it's easy to tell you're not just a number to her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Maggie Rodriguez)
Maggie is great! She gave me her personal cell number, and would take my calls and text at all hours and weekends. Great bedside manner as well.
How was your experience with Nurit Winkler at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Loveley, extremely positive bedside manner. She put any worries or doubts about my fertility at ease. She was thourough in explaining exactly what to expect. I loved that she was always the one to see me during appointment, never putting a nurse in her place.
Describe the protocols Nurit Winkler used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
During one FET cycle I was on 2 2mg estrace pills per day. During my second cycle I was on 1 2mg estrage pill per day, as well as a .03? shot of E2 valerate every 3rd day. This second protocol increase the thickness of my uterine lining compared to the estrace pills alone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nurit Winkler at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
As of October 2017, it was just under $25K and included the following: Ultrasound Blood Panels Egg Retrieval Surgical Procedure Normal Fertilization 1 Preg Test Anesthesia ISCI Freezing Chromosomal Testing Facility Fee Medications Medications made up about $8K of the total cost.
Describe Nurit Winkler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
We did single embryo because the quality of my selected egg was very good, I'm over relatively young age (32) and the thickness of my lining was good.
Nurit Winkler
2012 - 2013
The location [of Pacific Fertility Center] in LA is challenging to park. Since they are usually very late park your car somewhere with plenty of time on the meter if you drive to your appointments. The parking lot at the clinic in Westwood is a rip off...They [Nurses] were caring and showed a lot of compassion every step of the way...My treatments were 75% covered by the insurance. One of the treatment I was not charged for, I only paid for the cost of the Anesthesiologist.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
The location in LA is challenging to park. Since they are usually very late park your car somewhere with plenty of time on the meter if you drive to your appointments. The parking lot at the clinic in Westwood is a rip off.
Dr. Vicken truly showed care and attention during my treatments as well as his staff. Warm and thoughtful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Alma)
They were caring and showed a lot of compassion every step of the way.
How was your experience with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Vicken has a great personality. He was very positive and hopeful and at the same time, straight to the point. I appreciate his honest and candid attitude.
The wait is very very long and he is usually late so be patient and plan to be gone for a while if you work or have other commitments.
We tried IVF 3 times. The fist time the cycle was canceled, my ovaries were not really responding to the meds. I was on Follistim 375 and Menopur 150 for about a week. The second time, he put me on Birth control for 21 day. He added a 3 medication in addition to the Follistim and Menopur he also put me on Lupron 15U. The egg retrieval was not successful he could not inseminate my eggs, the quality was very poor. My third time and last time was basically the same as the previous protocol. During the egg retrieval he realized that my eggs were already out of my ovaries, he did an IUI immediately after but we were not successful.
2008 - 2011
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
They [nurses at Pacific Fertility Center] were all very nice and were sensitive to what I was going through. When they had to cancel my cycle I just started bawling. They were there to comfort me and helped me feel better...The clinic is very nice. They also had a special waiting area for moms who had kids with them. I liked that a lot. I always felt bad bringing my kids to appointments with people who were trying to get pregnant. This way we had a special room with toys and we didn't have to distract other patients.
2008 - 2011
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Dr. Sahakian was just super busy and had so many patients I think it was hard for him to remember everyone. He was nice and had okay bedside manner just too many patients.
They were all very nice and were sensitive to what I was going through. When they had to cancel my cycle I just started bawling. They were there to comfort me and helped me feel better.
How was your experience with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I really liked Dr. Sahakian. He was the first doctor that could really diagnose me and suggest IVF. I was very young so I felt like prior doctors didn't think I'd have to do IVF. He didn't waste any more time which I was grateful for. He is a busy man and had lots of patients but was a great doctor.
Just know that he's good at what he does.
I remember he had a hard time at first figuring out what dose of the meds he should give me. I reacted almost too well and so I wish he was a little more conservative at first with my meds. One cycle I ended up making hundreds and hundreds of follicles so we had to cancel the retrieval. It was really hard for me to go through.
This was a long time ago now but we did receive a discount because we didn't make that much money. I think we only had to pay around 7,000.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The offices [Pacific Fertility Ctr] and equipment were very nice. Make sure to always check when you are charged because I was overcharged for services my bundled payment plan already covered and I had to have them correct it numerous times.... I received information about cycle results over email instead of over the phone, even when I specifically asked for phone calls. I felt like I had to manage tests and plans to keep the process moving or else they would’ve forgotten to check and our cycles would get pushed back
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
The offices and equipment were very nice. Make sure to always check when you are charged because I was overcharged for services my bundled payment plan already covered and I had to have them correct it numerous times.
I felt like I was bothering them with my questions. I had to follow up to get my questions answered and make sure that my tests were moving along so that the calendar for IVF didn’t get pushed back.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Evans was very kind and knowledgeable. She was always the one who did my procedures and tests, and explained my progress. Unfortunately, our treatment was not as easy as originally anticipated, so we felt we needed to try another practice to help us try different strategies.
Make sure to keep track of your medicine, payments, test results, appointments, and next steps.
IVF with ICSI, always does PGS testing, only does FETs.
We used Winfertility, a bundled payment plan
Glendale
[Pacific Fertility Center] Glendale office is small and calm, not a lot of waiting, great staff. For IVF there are two trips to the Westwood office which is a bit of a zoo, but they have an awesome lab so it's worth it....$7100 IVF cycle fee, $595 anesthesia, $1500 ICSI, about $6000 PGS
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Kind, thoughtful, attentive, listened well, explained everything
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Quiana)
very responsive to emails and phone calls, helpful, kind, supportive
How was your experience with Michele Evans at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Helpful, direct, honest. I had poor response and she explained clearly the arguments around cancellation and let me decide for myself. We went forward and got lucky -- even with only two good eggs, we had one successfully fertilize and ultimately become our baby. She did not seem at all motivated by good stats, just by best possible care.
follistim and menopur in relatively high doses, then ganirelix, then pregnyl
$7100 IVF cycle fee, $595 anesthesia, $1500 ICSI, about $6000 PGS
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
No age limit -strength They [Pacific Fertility Center] don’t discourage you if you want to try with your own eggs. It’s a nice office. Parking in the building. Pharmacy downstairs to fill your prescription open 6 days a week.... Each cycle the medication was around $5,000 A package of 3 tries was around $16,500... I was not happy with my last appointment. I had 2 eggs retrieved and they didn’t fertilize. I felt that since it was done on a Sunday the eggs were not cared for in the same manor as the eggs retrieved during the week. Also, since that was my last try in the package of 3, I was not treated the same.
European, Latino
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
No age limit -strength They don’t discourage you if you want to try with your own eggs. It’s a nice office. Parking in the building. Pharmacy downstairs to fill your prescription open 6 days a week.
After my retreaval the doctor didn’t follow up with me when my egg didn’t fertilize.
The staff was okay. I feel like the medication instructions were not clear. I wasn’t advised that the progesterone should not be drawn and left ready to go because the plastic changes the hormone.
How was your experience with Vicken Sahakian at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
The doctor was not focused during my treatment because he was going through medical issues. He was Nut available for my 2nd transfer. When the transfer was done the other doctor explained everything to me. St that moment I realized he was not the doctor for me.
Make sure he is dedicated to your case.
I was put on the same treatment each time. Folistim Memopher Goneral
Always had one embryo transferred each time.