55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095

2016, Unknown Success
I think he [Dr. Herbert] has excellent bedside manner. I've felt his compassion for my situation and his desire to help. He is a very clear communicator. However, during some of my appointments I have felt rushed at times, like there isn't enough time for me to ask questions...He is kind, humorous, and comforting each time I see him. He is clear and straightforward in his responses and explains things in detail...
The nursing staff [at Pacific Fert Ctr SF] is excellent! I have felt very comfortable with all the nurses. They always wait and make sure you don't have anymore questions and explain things in detail...It is easy to get an appointment once you are under a doctor's care. You never wait long for your appointment. The facilities are well kept and comfortable with beautiful views of the bay...
How was your experience with Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
I think he has excellent bedside manner. I've felt his compassion for my situation and his desire to help. He is a very clear communicator. However, during some of my appointments I have felt rushed at times, like there isn't enough time for me to ask questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem obvious. It's the doctors job to explain things thoroughly and in a way you can understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat)
The nursing staff is excellent! I have felt very comfortable with all the nurses. They always wait and make sure you don't have anymore questions and explain things in detail.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center.
approximately 20,000
San Francisco

Dr Schriock is amazing. He took time to explain my options to me and even helped me years after the egg freezing to help determine blood tests taken from a different doctor, in a different state. I now live in a different state and oftentimes consider going back to SF for another egg freezing round because I trust him so much... Took the time to speak to me about my options, years after the retrieval he talked to me about how to ship the eggs to NY, etc.
15,000 per cycle [for egg freezing at Pacific Fertility]...Dr Schriock is incredible. Took the time to speak to me about my options, years after the retrieval he talked to me about how to ship the eggs to NY, etc. He will explain everything to you in full detail, while also being compassionate. Highly recommended...He took time to explain my options to me and even helped me years after the egg freezing to help determine blood tests taken from a different doctor, in a different state. I now live in a different state and oftentimes consider going back to SF for another egg freezing round because I trust him so much.
How was your experience with Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Ask to make ultrasound appoints/daily appoints during the cycle with him. His schedule is busy, so be flexible during that week or two, if possible!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Wish I had seen Dr Schriock everytime.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eldon Schriock (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center.
15,000 per cycle

2010 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying...I think if you are not successful with a protocol or a doctor, ask them to change things.
[Nurse Marris] was always responsive, never left me hanging or waiting for important results. I had other nurses where I had to check their work and make sure they got my prescriptions right, for example. I could really trust Marris.
I liked Dr. Herbert in general, he was kind and friendly enough. But I would say the warmest/most compassionate doctor in the practice is Schrioc. He proably has the best bedside manner/warmth. Over the course of the many years I was at PFC, I had appointments with all of the doctors, as they cover for each other for u/s and all the way to retrievals and transfers. Dr. Herbert would get on the phone and answer questions and was responsive. It's looking back that I'm not sure he was as creative with treating my infertility. I had 3 retrievals and many transfers there - and don't think there were very many changes to my protocol. That being said, when I asked for some things, for example, for them to let all of my embryos "have a chance" and grow them out and freeze them, even if they were low quality, he let me. He let me transfer them too. Those "bad" embryos at least got me pregnant, though I did miscarry. My current clinic would not have frozen or transferred those low quality embryos. The fact that Dr. Herbert did and I got pregnant, gave me hope to continue - as that was my first pregnancy ever. Had my 1st round of IVF not produced a pregnancy at all, I think we would have quit. So bottom line, I found him more open to listening to my wishes, in that sense and letting me decide. I think that was a good thing. On the other hand, I did bring up a concern with transferring fresh embryos when I am an endometrios patient (a disease that flares up with hormones). He wasn't very open to exploring this and we continued to transfer my best embryos in fresh transfers. My current clinic said they would not have done this with me, full of stim meds. In fact, the trend overall now, is to mostly do FETs. I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying.
I think if you are not successful with a protocal or a doctor, ask them to change things. They should learn from the data they have on your cycles. I would also ask them for their success rates with people similar to you. PFC is a big enough clinic now that nothing should be completely new to them. If it is - I would find another clinic. You don't want to be any clinic's guinea pig.
When I first started at PFC, they weren't very patient-centric. I was learning all of this new terminology and how everything worked - and had to be the translater between their different departments (that didn't talk to one another). This was a tremendous stress and burdent on me as a new patients - to check their work and keep them on track, when there was no way for me to know their process or even the fertility process for that matter. I made suggestions, and others must have complained too - b/c they then established teams for each doctor. So you would work with the same group who knew you and your treatment plan. This was a big improvement. And once I got a great nurse, it was much, much better. Though I am no longer with PFC, I have still had occasion to reach out to my nurse at PFC for updates and very rarely, some advice. That tipped the scales to feeling more "human".
Describe the protocols Carl Herbert (retired) used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Too long ago and too many to remember specifically. I know I used Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide. My FETs were (mostly) unmedicated. I got 15 eggs on two rounds, 17 on another. So not a lot of variance there. We tended to have about an 80% fertilization rate. My embryos didn't do well between day 3 and 5 in the lab, so for my 2nd and 3rd round we froze on day 3. I had a few pregnancies, and all ended in m/c - some early and one 2nd trimester. No living children to date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marris)
As mentioned before, once they established teams, things were WAY better. Then you had one person managing and overseeing the whole process. Marris was my primary contact and I think she went above and beyond for me many times. She advocated for me, she showed tremendous compassion during the tough times and losses. She became almost a friend and I feel she shared things with me about personal experiences to help me on my journey. I felt extremely luck to have her. She was always responsive, never left me hanging or waiting for important results. I had other nurses where I had to check their work and make sure they got my prescriptions right, for example. I could really trust Marris. She is no longer in the same role, as far as I know, she is now a retrieval nurse. I'm sure she is wonderful there too, but is no longer the day-to-day contact for patients, which is a loss for PFC patients!
In 2010, I think IUIs were roughly $2,000 plus meds. For our second & third ERs we did a plan that allowed you to do two ERs if you didn't get pregnant, at a slight discount. That was in the mid-$20,000 range - drugs, monitoring and additional transfers were all in addition to that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
It's hard to remember all of details now. I know had issues with lack of communication between departments several times. There was a lot of "you need to talk to x about that/not my department." It was frustrating when you were just trying to get through the process to be bounced around and manage up. And there were times that I didn't know I was supposed to be the middle man and it held things up at cricital junctures and then it felt like I was asking special favors to just keep moving. I'm no longer at PFC and about a year after my last treatment, they sent me a bill for several hundred dollars. They claimed it was some unpaid portion of a FET. I am all OOP and had to pay my bills at the time of service, it's not like they were waiting on insurance or something. So it was odd of them to claim I hadn't paid in real time AND wait a year to bill me. I refused to pay and spoke to several people in billing about this. They agreed it was wrong to charge me. Just recently, I got another email saying I owed $ still. I keep having the same conversation over and over. The real rub is - while they continue to ask for this $, this month they refused to do my outside monitoring for my new clinic. I know this is unrelated to this bill - it's their "new policy". It just left me wondering how many unsuccessful patients they must have asking for outside monitoring, if they are refusing?? I found this very disappointing, after all the time & $ I spent there without success that they would not support me as I continue to try to build a family. Not having the continuity/having to find a 3rd clinic for just this piece has been stressful.

2015, Unknown Success
He [Dr Herbert] has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
During the process I felt the communication between the doctors office [Pacific Fertility Center] and myself was very poor and i often felt confused about what was going on....I thought my coordinator was very good. She walked me through all of the steps and always kept in touch with me when things changed and provided me with a detailed calendar after each visit. My experience with the nurses was not as great. There were several instances where there was a miscommunication and I always left my conversations with them feeling uncertain. I also had a terrible experience on the day of my retrieval. The nurse that got me set up and did my IV was obviously new and very nervous. She was vocal to me about how nervous she was and was literally shaking as she was trying to put my IV in. After the procedure she told me how many eggs they got my failed to tell me what they didnt know yet how many they could freeze. She also didnt tell me that a nurse would call me the next day to tell me how successful it was.
He has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
Don't go into it expecting him to cushion the blow. He is up front and realistic which can be good, but also hard for someone who may be emotional and having a hard time.
His bedside manner is not ideal, but also not terrible. During the process I felt the communication between the doctors office and myself was very poor and i often felt confused about what was going on. When I was one on one with Dr. Herbert during an appointment it was a bit better.
I wasn't given much explanation for the protocol used. I now now (only since I have been to another doctor) that he used the long protocol. I took estrogen pills before my cycle and then went on to menopur, follistim and ganirelix for about 9 days. My menopur was 150/night and follistim was around 350/night. He didn't explain there were different options so I assumed this was the only one. During my cycle he also upped my dosage and it wasn't clear why he did that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Letty was my coordinator but i didnt have a specific nurse)
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is beautiful! Very quiet, clean and has amazing views. It is never too crowded so it is a nice place to sit and wait to be seen. All the staff in the office are professional and dress professionally.
my insurance didn't cover anything besides the initial visit so I paid for all ultrasounds as well as the procedure cost, Anastasia, and meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
There were some minor instances where I was given the wrong information from a nurse. During a review of how to use the injections a new nurse gave me the wrong information. Luckily, later that day I was still confused so I called the office and spoke to another nurse and got the right information. It's a good thing I called back. There was also an instance when it was clear the nurses did not communicate properly and gave me conflicting information.

2012 - 2015, Unsuccessful
...On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seem
I think 25K for IVF plus meds plus another 3K to natera for genetics testing, implant 3K each times 2... My case was different that most, because I could get pregnant easily but would miscarry so I think my case required more investigative work and I don't think this PFC is the place for you if you have a complicated history of pregnancies/miscarriages etc...First impressions are great at pfc, everyone is always prompt and informed, I think the nurse to patient ration always felt like 4 to 1. You can reach anyone at any time which is great for your first cycle, you have so many questions and concerns, calls/emails are always promptly returned. I loved the whole acupuncture option there as well, great to have. The docs do feel a bit rushed during the monitoring appointments and it's rare that your doctor performs your transfer or extraction, but i didn't think of this as a negative, the more docs I was exposed to and could ask questions I thought the better. My case was different that most, because I could get pregnant easily but would miscarry so I think my case required more investigative work and I don't think this PFC is the place for you if you have a complicated history of pregnancies/miscarriages etc
Again, mentioning his affability, he is very likable and an easy communicator. After a successful round of ivf with ccs, I had three frozen chromosomally normal eggs. We implanted one, I became pregnant, but no heartbeat at 7 weeks - having a dnc at week 8 - a few months later I implanted the next one, similar outcome. At this point, I had had 5 miscarriages, 7 pregnancies in 4 years.....with one naturally conceived easy live birth so I knew that I could carry to term. I had every blood test under the sun, always normal. I kept asking dr. herbert, 'is there anything that you can think of that would be causing these miscarriages?',...'should we check for anything else before we implant my last frozen egg?', His answer was fair for sure, 'could be anything, we never really know..let's do a medicated implantation this time' (more costly and time consuming for me) Before implanting my last egg, I sought a second option with ucsf, within one hour of meeting me they did a sonogram of my uterus and determined that I had a significant amount of scar tissue in my uterus due to all the pregnancies and dnc's over the last few years. Since I always miscarried around week 8, they determined that this was the most likely cause, the embryo simply couldn't grow any bigger. On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seems that an easy routine test in the form of a thorough sonogram could have prevented so much heartbreak, let alone time and money.
Be your own advocate
dr. herbert has a great bed side manner, he is very likable and charming, a great salesman if you will. I had 5 natural pregnancies in 3 years, including only one live birth and one down's syndrome termination, so he and I both felt that IVF would be very successful and it was it terms of egg's retrieved.
basic IVF, 12 days on meds, I responded well to meds and 17 eggs were retrieved. I should mention I was 41 at the time and exceeds all stats etc.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
Nurses were all great, compassionate and communicated everything very well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
7 pregnancies in 4 years, 5 conceived naturally, one live birth, one terminated downs pregnancies and a total of 5 miscarriages - two of which were eggs from my ivf with ccs, so normal eggs. A second option determined a septum had grown in my uterus most likely due to all the pregnancies - my uterus was septum free prior to pregnancy number 3, so it grew it that last two years. Shocking that nobody ever noticed this at PFC
2014 - 2015, Successful
I definitely have some small quibbles with the overall Pacific Fertility Center process, particularly with the handoff to non-primary doctors late in the process.
Dr Schriock was a good doctor and I would recommend him. In general he was very willing to answer questions and explain information. He is kind and caring. Fertility treatment is stressful and time sensitive, and I definitely have some small quibbles with the overall Pacific Fertility Center process, particularly with the handoff to non-primary doctors late in the process, although I do understand why they need to rotate doctors on call on weekends etc. However overall I would definitely recommend Dr Schriock and PFC.
Make sure to proactively set up telephone consults if you need anything explained during the process rather than expecting detailed responses via email (which is primarily used for urgent/transactional communication only).
I felt that Dr Schriock was very good about remembering me and treating me as an individual, however this wasn't the case with the assorted nurses, admin staff and non-primary doctors (when I wasn't able to see Dr Schriock) that I saw during the process. They were all warm and caring, but didn't know me as an individual at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Erica Garcia)
While I was assigned a care co-ordinator, I almost never saw that person during in person visits, and I believe that person actually moved on during my treatment period as suddenly someone else was answering my emails. All the nurses were generally kind and good at explaining, but because I saw so many different people there wasn't a sense of continuity and a few things got missed/were suboptimal along the way.

2014 - 2015, Successful
The nurses that work for him [Dr. Schriock] are fantastic! The monitoring appointments were very well organized. There were several time slots I could pick on the day I needed to come in so i could make them work with my schedule.
Hey was great! He clearly explained all my options to my in my initial consultation. He provided me with clear overview of the what the process would look like from start to finish. Myself and my husband were both extremely happy with him. We always felt like we could ask him questions and reach out at anytime. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
The initial consultation he gives you is extremely helpful. Come to that consultation prepared with all of your questions.
The care team always knew my name when I came in. He always asked how I was doing and if I had any questions. He clearly explained the next step in the process. The nurses that work for him are fantastic! They are extremely sensitive to the fact that this is an emotional process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
They remembered my name and were always very caring. The nurses that took my blood each time were very sweet. When explaining how to perform the last injections they were great and very understanding that it is a hard and emotional process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific Fertility Center.
2015, 9 Eggs Frozen
I wish she [Dr. Isabelle Ryan] would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises...Ask questions until you fully 100% understand every detail of the process...Sometimes I waited longer than expected...
[Pacific Fertility Center has a] Great location, clean, minimal, trendy, and upscale. Theres a coffee and water machine in reception and you can make a tea. The front desk associates are usually pretty friendly. Sometimes I waited longer than expected...$9000 for egg freezing and meds...I wish she [Dr. Isabelle Ryan] would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises...A
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
I wish she would've explained a bit more about the number of eggs actually needed in order to conceive a child. I would've done another round or two of retrievals to be safe. Other than that she provided me with a lot of knowledge of how everything worked, the process, what was to be expected with the injections, side effects, etc. There were no surprises.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Ask questions until you fully 100% understand every detail of the process.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.
$9000 for egg freezing and meds

2013 - 2014, 2 Eggs Frozen
I felt no warmth from Dr. Ryan. The one positive thing she did was encourage me to start the process ASAP, but it felt more like because she wanted to get more cycles and patients under her belt versus it being in my best interest. Because of her approach, I delayed starting and almost didn't move forward at all.... She did not come across as sincere to me. It felt like this was a job to her and she did not truly care about my results and the outcome. When explaining the details of egg freezing, she seemed bored having to go through the materials with me.
Organized, responsive and professional. Very well staffed. Facilities [Pacific Fertility Center] are extremely new, but almost too nice. Great location and view in San Francisco. Great injection training classes, access to nurses, and recommendations to acupuncturists.... [Nursing Staff] Responsive but perhaps not good at getting back to me with Dr. Ryan's feedback and thoughts on a particular question.... If you like a straight-up, less warm doctor, Dr. Ryan is a good choice.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
If you like a straight-up, less warm doctor, Dr. Ryan is a good choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Organized, responsive and professional. Very well staffed. Facilities are extremely new, but almost too nice. Great location and view in San Francisco. Great injection training classes, access to nurses, and recommendations to acupuncturists.
Describe Isabelle Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.

2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr Ryan was clear, warm and the right combo of optimistic/realistic...Know that she operates in a team environment so even if she's your preferred doc, you won't always get her.
Dr. Herbert's nursing staff was outstanding. [Dr.] Ryan's was working out some kinks but still good...When I had a chemical pregnancy, a rookie nurse [at Pacific Fertility Center] told me to keep taking the progesterone when I didn't need to.
know that she operates in a team environment so even if she's your preferred doc, you won't always get her
Dr Ryan was clear, warm and the right combo of optimistic/realistic
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Herbert's nursing staff was outsanding. Ryan's was working out some kinks but still good
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
When I had a chemical pregnancy, a rookie nurse told me to keep taking the progesterone when I didn't need to. I had a tough go Dr Ryan's nursing staff but I do think it was an anomaly based on the experience I had with Herbert's team (Marris was amazing).
2013 - 2014, Successful
[Dr. Philip Chenette] will tailor a protocol based on his assessment of the patient...He has excellent bedside manners, made us feel at ease in this stressful process of IVF. In addition he is a very , patient an compassoniate doctor who is very knowledgable is his field with his many years of experience... Throughout the process, Dr. Chenette, was always available for our needs, and always very patient, compassionate and knowledgable.
She [nurse at Pacific Fertility Center] is really helpful and always a step ahead... is a very nice facility. It does not seem like a fertility clinic when you walk in. Very good ambience, friendly staff. The location is great.When you look out the window, of the office, there is a beautiful view of the bay, it will help ease your mind off of the stressful process of IVF. The office staff , coordinators, RN's, MD's are all awewome!...
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
IVF itself is a very stressful process. Throughout the process, Dr. Chenette, was always available for our needs, and always very patient, compassionate and knowledgable. In addition he has excellent bedside manners and of course, a very high success rate! :)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
His positve attitude and knowledge in the field will bring you success.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Philip Chenette used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Chenette will tailor a protocol based on his assessment of the patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
She is really helpful and always a step ahead
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is a very nice facility. It does not seem like a fertility clinic when you walk in. Very good ambience, friendly staff. The location is great.When you look out the window, of the office, there is a beautiful view of the bay, it will help ease your mind off of the stressful process of IVF. The office staff , coordinators, RN's, MD's are all awewome!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center.
IVF itself is a very expensive process. I suggest to check with your insurance to see if there is any coverage

2013, Successful
...The rest of the staff was quite frustrating to work with. Our information was not passed correctly from one team member to the next and I found myself having to repeat myself in the same appointment and in one appointment after another.
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette came highly recommended to me, so I had high hopes. In our initial meeting, he reassured us that our situation was common and there were lots of avenues we could go down to increase our chances of getting pregnant. I did want to try to be as "natural" as possible and not take drastic measures unless we had to, and I'm not sure that was totally respected. His team made a mistake putting together my schedule for when to take the Clomid, so the first time it didn't work. The second time was a slam dunk, so we were lucky enough not to have to take more extreme measures. The nurse assigned to our case was absolutely fantastic, but other than that I'd say Dr Chenette was just ok, and the rest of the staff was quite frustrating to work with. Our information was not passed correctly from one team member to the next and I found myself having to repeat myself in the same appointment and in one appointment after another.
Get a feel for the whole staff you'd be working with, not just Dr. Chenette.
I didn't feel like he adapted the conversation to me... as someone who didn't really want to go this route in the first place and was willing to take a bit more time to forgo taking drastic action, I don't think that changed Dr. Chenette's pitch.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sue Austin)
She was the only one on top of it. She emailed and called me often, apologized when the rest of the staff made mistakes and was generally a fantastic person to work with.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
One of the nurses, not our primary one, plotted my schedule incorrectly on the calendar and the first month of appointments and medication was a complete waste because I was advised to take the Clomid on the wrong day. There was no discount for the several hundred dollars spent and I had to go through it all again. I also had to explain my situations multiple times, as my updates didn't quite seem to make it into the notes.

2013, Unknown Success
The clinic definitely feels like a spa, so physically it’s a nice place to be considering the number of appointments involved in a cycle. I didn’t feel that people at the clinic were on the same page or coordinated in an organized way. They have different coordinators for everything (e.g. clinical nurse coordinator, financial coordinator), which made me assume there would be a lot of individual subject matter expertise, but the reality was they were rarely in sync and I found myself repeating a lot.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Isabelle Ryan has a very direct, succinct, blunt manner. That didn’t bother me at first, but at a later stage in my care I realized that many crisply communicated statements really glossed over important nuances, and areas of uncertainty. Our meetings were always very quick, and I left thinking I had gotten all the information I needed, but it’s hard to know what you don’t know. As a small example, I was a first-time patient, and it was never communicated to me that at PFC my doctor likely wouldn’t be performing my retrieval surgery. I now know this is very common, but this shouldn’t be communicated to a patient the first time in the middle of a stimulation cycle. Most importantly, I feel she handled my case poorly from a medical standpoint, and made critical errors which, subsequent doctors pointed out, introduced unnecessary risk. She and her care team overlooked disturbing symptoms that I had and, in retrospect, gave me a treatment which was dangerous rather than helpful. This aspect of my case would not apply to most patients, but I think it speaks to a lax attitude about complications, and an unwillingness to take the time to think beyond the obvious norms. Finally, she was coordinating care with an outside specialist, and the communication about the status of this coordination was bad -- I realized months later that the tests from the outside specialist had actually given me the opposite results that Dr. Ryan had used in her assumptions and care.
I probably would see a different doctor unless you are ready to go home and independently fact check what you hear, and almost act as your own secondary doctor.
It was somewhere in the middle. The clinic is not an over-crowded factory type atmosphere, but I sometimes felt like a number because important details of my care often slipped through the cracks. I felt that Dr. Ryan’s care team, in particular nurse coordinator Doris Dalida at the time, didn’t do a good communicating clearly about my specific case, but would speak more generically meaning important details were left out.
Describe the protocols Isabelle Ryan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Before cycling she had my husband and I do prophylactic antibiotics (zithromax and cipro). First cycle (which ended in a cycle cancellation with no retrieval): 3 weeks birth control pills, started 200 IU Follistim & 75 IU Menopur, this was increased but not sure to what levels. Never triggered because cycle was canceled for poor response. Second cycle: Removed IUD; no birth control pills. Estrace priming before cycle start (4 mg daily). At baseline ultrasound start micro-dose lupron (10 units, twice per day); then starting dose 300 IU Follistim and 150 IU Menopur. Trigger 10,000 IU hCG. Resulted in 19 eggs retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Doris Dalida)
I found Doris, Dr. Ryan’s nurse coordinator to be very underwhelming. She wasn’t very helpful in providing the information I needed and was not helpful in organizing my overall care. There were other nurses who was nice, but I never felt that I had someone really competent, who cared, who was on top of things for me.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Not sure how much we paid for the first canceled cycle. Second cycle where we did a retrieval was about $12,000, though they gave us a $1,500 discount because of issues in our first cycle, and because we were self-pay patients. This did NOT include all of the lab tests and drugs, which added several thousand dollars, or the $1500 to Natera which is the outside reference lab used for PGS testing.
Recommended eSET with PGS, but did not do a transfer at PFC so it wasn’t a lengthy discussion.

2013, Successful
Eldon [Schriock] was extremely kind and compassionate. He is an expert in PCOS and was extremely thorough and detail oriented in tailoring my protocol to my response. His reasoning was always sound and I always felt he had my best interests at heart...I can't remember [protocols] sepcifixally other than every other day monitoring and extremely low dose injections due to my history of extreme response. He ultimately did use an HcG trigger after discussing with me the real risks of OHSS - which did occur.
Eldon was extremely kind and compassionate. He is an expert in PCOS and was extremely thorough and detail oriented in tailoring my protocol to my response. His reasoning was always sound and I always felt he had my best interests at heart.
I was greeted warmly by all staff, treated with compassion and warmth even in the worst situations.
Describe the protocols Eldon Schriock (retired) used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I can't remember sepcifixally other than every other day monitoring and extremely low dose injections due to my history of extreme response. He ultimately did use an HcG trigger after discussing with me the real risks of OHSS - which did occur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center.
They were always available. I got great calendars of my timelines, they were helpful with my crazy schedule and always prompt with results.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
It was expensive. But worth it.
IVF with PGS- 15k FET- can't remember. 1k or more
Describe Eldon Schriock (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
He would not transfer more than one due to risks of twin pregnancy. I had PGS tested embryos, but I believe he counseled all his patients this way.

2013, 18 Eggs Frozen
I was very pleased as a patient of Dr. Schriock. He had an extremely warm bedside manner which was important for me. I never felt as though my fears or trepidation I had in the process was insignificant.
I never felt as though the doctor was rushing through my appointment to get to another patient [at Pacific Fertility Center]. I was very pleased as a patient of Dr. Schriock.
I never felt as though the doctor was rushing through my appointment to get to another patient.

2010 - 2012, Successful
Very knowledgeable. We did IVF 2 times, the first we were pregnant with twins, but there were problems... She was sensitive with the details of the problems, but also direct. She knew we needed to understand the severity of what was happening.
The entire staff, both Dr Givens and the nurses always had smiles on their faces, and made you feel like they knew exactly who you were. Even when Dr. Givens had to give us bad news, she was sensitive but direct, giving the facts, but in a kind manner.
How was your experience with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
She was wonderful!! Very knowledgeable. We did IVF 2 times, the first we were pregnant with twins, but there were problems.... the sack never formed correctly and we miscarried around 9 weeks. She was sensitive with the details of the problems, but also direct. she knew we needed to understand the severity of what was happening. when we did miscarry, we were due to leave for Hawaii for vacation in two days. she organized the procedure to be done on the next day (a Sunday!) so we could keep our plans to go. She also kept in touch to make sure there were no complications while we were gone. Our next IVF we had a successful pregnancy, and she was amazing during that one as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
Ask a lot of questions. She will be honest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carolyn Givens at Pacific Fertility Center?
The entire staff, both dr givens and the nurses always had smiles on their faces, and made you feel like they knew exactly who you were. even when dr givens had to give us bad news, she was sensitive but direct, giving the facts, but in a kind manner. when the news was good you felt like she was your biggest cheerleader.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
always friendly, made you feel like they knew you. very informative.
Carolyn Givens

2012, 5 Eggs Frozen
Investor
He [Dr. Philip Chenette] started with very negative and scary data on our first visit (That has turned out to be debunked) And, one of the protocols ended in a cancelled cycle and I never had that happen on the 5 following ones. Also, the doctors after that were not impressed with the protocol he suggested for the 2nd round after the first one didn't meet his expectations. So, that concerned me too
He [Dr. Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center] started with very negative and scary data on our first visit (That has turned out to be debunked) And, one of the protocols ended in a cancelled cycle and I never had that happen on the 5 following ones. Also, the doctors after that were not impressed with the protocol he suggested for the 2nd round after the first one didn't meet his expectations. So, that concerned me too
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
He started with very negative and scary data on our first visit (That has turned out to be debunked) And, one of the protocols ended in a cancelled cycle and I never had that happen on the 5 following ones. Also, the doctors after that were not impressed with the protocol he suggested for the 2nd round after the first one didn't meet his expectations. So, that concerned me too
He knew who I was, so it wasn't quite like a number, but I didn't have the best rapport with him
FSH 240 and ganirelix for the first one. 7 eggs retrieved and 5 were frozen. (This was the best result I had from any protocol, but every doctor after that did more 'complex' ones.) Then a lupron pill for the 2nd attempt, which failed.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
High-end feel but I didn't get to see the same people a lot, and I still didn't felt a bit like a number

2011 - 2012, Successful
Investor
He gave me a candid assessment of my chances due to my age. He did not discourage me to pursue using my own eggs but he was very pragmatic about the statistical outcome.
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Concentrate on the end goal - having a baby, and let him suggest the best route to do obtain this given your history.
The doctor, front desk staff and nurses were always very professional and knew my name. When I was called to discuss pregnancy results the nurses were very thoughtful. When I had two embryo transfers that ended unsuccessfully Dr. Chenette called me to follow up and address any concerns.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
It is a very well run practice and they were all professional.
2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Ryan] is professional and very kind. It's obvious she knows what she is doing and you trust her for that. She is wonderful and very reassuring. She is always gentle and explains things completely. I saw her every visit and she always made time for me....I found the drugs and dosage prescribed and used very effective....You're in good hands....Gorgeous facility [Pacific Fert Ctr], in a beautiful location right on the bay. The staff was always so happy and welcoming.
Gorgeous facility [Pacific Fert Ctr], in a beautiful location right on the bay. The staff was always so happy and welcoming. I especially loved the fairy mobiles they had hanging in each exam room. It was soothing and very relaxing....She [Dr. Ryan] is professional and very kind. It's obvious she knows what she is doing and you trust her for that. She is wonderful and very reassuring. She is always gentle and explains things completely. I saw her every visit and she always made time for me.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
She is professional and very kind. It's obvious she knows what she is doing and you trust her for that. She is wonderful and very reassuring. She is always gentle and explains things completely. I saw her every visit and she always made time for me.
You're in good hands.
I found the drugs and dosage prescribed and used very effective.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Gorgeous facility, in a beautiful location right on the bay. The staff was always so happy and welcoming. I especially loved the fairy mobiles they had hanging in each exam room. It was soothing and very relaxing.
I can't recall

2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
Dr. Ryan although colder at first warmed up as we got to know her better.
Ask dr. Ryan all the questions you need answers to.
Very warm staff, calling you by your first name and understanding the challenges of my situation. Dr. Ryan although colder at first warmed up as we got to know her better. She delivers the news very matter of fact which may not be everyone's preference. I appreciated that,
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
Very compassionate and very nice. Good understanding of the procedures you are going through.

2012, Successful
He [Dr. Schriock] was very kind, friendly and compassionate...PFC is beautiful and provide great car. Eldon was top-notch and got us pregnant with IUI when he thought the chances were less than 5%...Explore all the options and make your own educated decisions...
[Pacific Fertility Center - SF is a]...Beautiful clinic, organized, friendly and encouraging...
Explore all the options and make your own educated decisions.
He was very kind, friendly and compassionate.
Too much detail, not comfortable sharing
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Beautiful clinic, organized, friendly and encouraging.

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
I did feel certain Dr. Ryan was on my team through the process. She was supportive and kind and professional. I didn't want to hear the news she was ultimately able to convince me of (that my lack of success was "120% due to egg quality") so I think I continued too long with attempting each method of treatment. Not sure what else she could have done to get through to me, but I do wish I hadn't put my body through so many medicated IUIs, for example.
At my first appointment, the receptionist [at Pacific Fertility Center] asked if my partner would be joining me. I was single. That was agony and hard to get past. Otherwise, I remember feeling pretty welcome.... I had one cancelled cycle for damaged sample, but I do not think it was the clinic's fault. It happened during shipping. I also had some miscommunication between me, the clinic and my OBGYN about when to restart treatment after recovering from a D & C. As a result, I "wasted" treatment on a cycle. I wish I had had a written protocol or direct communication between the 2 doctors. Relying on me to convey information to each doctor wasn't foolproof.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Really listen and ask questions to make sure you aren't just hearing what you want to hear. She will help you make a plan.
She showed compassion and support. I really felt like she was rooting for me.
My treatments were so long ago ... I don't remember specifics. I did 10+ IUI. #7 resulted in a pregnancy that was not viable. 1 IVF and 1 cancelled IVF.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
At my first appointment, the receptionist asked if my partner would be joining me. I was single. That was agony and hard to get past. Otherwise, I remember feeling pretty welcome.
I've blocked out the specifics - the costs were high.
I do remember she was very helpful on advising the number to transfer. I understood the pros and cons.
2007 - 2011, Successful
Open minded, kind and professional are qualities I would ascrbe to Dr Herbert. ... It was gratifying that he was willing to use a new procedure that limited or most injections and relies instead on vaginal suppositories and oral meds to prep me as the recipient of the donor egg. This was an approach that has been very successful in the UK and I wanted to try it and avoid all the injections. It worked! Herbert had no ego around holding on to his own approach but did his own research and went forward with me in this novel approach with great success.
Really liked working with the donor coordinator [at Pacific Fertility Center] at the time and she helped us arrange a meeting with the donor which she facilitated. Process was seamless. Cannot remember any problems that stand out.... If you are using a donor egg ask him about approaching it using suppositories vs injections!!!... t was gratifying that he was willing to use a new procedure that limited or most injections and relies instead on vaginal suppositories and oral meds to prep me as the recipient of the donor egg. This was an approach that has been very successful in the UK and I wanted to try it and avoid all the injections.
Open minded, kind and professional are qualities I would ascrbe to Dr Herbert. He was recommended to us by a very happy former patient and her faith in him was borne out. We were very happy with him. It was gratifying that he was willing to use a new procedure that limited or most injections and relies instead on vaginal suppositories and oral meds to prep me as the recipient of the donor egg. This was an approach that has been very successful in the UK and I wanted to try it and avoid all the injections. It worked! Herbert had no ego around holding on to his own approach but did his own research and went forward with me in this novel approach with great success.
He listened closely to my concerns and worked with me to develop a new protocol and approach based on research I did. He was willing to do it my way and was flexible and open .
See previous comments and implant one embryo only.
Don’t remember
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Really liked working with the donor coordinator at the time and she helped us arrange a meeting with the donor which she facilitated. Process was seamless. Cannot remember any problems that stand out.
I don’t recall in detail. It’s been a while!
2003 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Zouves biggest asset is his kindness. He always seemed to be genuinely happy to see us and he was sad at our failed attempts and happy with our successes. He was very honest when he thought it was time to try donor eggs...Dr Zouves took the time to get to know us. He cheered us on during our adoption process (In between IVFs 2 and 3). He was very honest with us regarding our chances and made the right recommendations.
The staff was excellent. They were always ready for you on time. Answered all questions and were committed to keeping your spirits up...there was a discount plan that covered 3 attempts, everything except the meds. Meds could be purchased through the clinic, at a pharmacy or out of the country...the clinic was very convenient. modern. had separate areas for patients and donors. clean and very cheerful.
How was your experience with Christo Zouves at Pacific Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christo Zouves at Pacific Fertility Center?
Trust him. He wants you to succeed and take home a baby.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christo Zouves at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Christo Zouves used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
cannot remember the protocols but after 2 failures we back off on the drugs to try and get a better quality egg/embryo and even though there were fewer eggs, one of them took :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: don't remember her name)
the staff was excellent. They were always ready for you on time. Answered all questions and were committed to keeping your spirits up.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christo Zouves at Pacific Fertility Center.
Christo Zouves
2004 - 2010, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Schriock] was very accessible. He took his time and cared about the outcome....He was thoughtful and easy to talk to. I felt like when things weren't happening he wasn't able to help me figure out a next course of action. At the end I left feeling lost and without hope.
[Pacific Fertility Center's] weakness: If felt like a machine at times. When I left no one ever followed up to see how things turned out. They were on to someone else. After 2+ years I would have thought they would be more interested in how they could still help me. Strengths: Their retrieval process and nursing staff was excellent...$13k for two cycles
Ask about the plan he has for you as well as what he might do if pregnancy doesn't happen. If you fall under unexplained infertility like I do, ask if there are other ways to give a more explained diagnosis.
He was very accessible. He took his time and cared about the outcome.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
Engaged. Passionate. They understood how much was invested—monetarily and emotionally.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Weakness: If felt like a machine at times. When I left no one ever followed up to see how things turned out. They were on to someone else. After 2+ years I would have thought they would be more interested in how they could still help me. Strengths: Their retrieval process and nursing staff was excellent.
$13k for two cycles