Pacific NW Fertility

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Issaquah
751 NE Blakely Drive
Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St.
Seattle, WA 98104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific NW Fertility to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 40Neutral: 5Don't recommend: 29.3
[The nurses at Pacific NW Fertility were] Very attentive and thorough in answering my questions and in a timely matter...Front office staff hasn’t been calling to remind me of my upcoming appointments. Also, I have had a few issues with the billing department. Make sure you take notes and review billing statements. Thankfully I am very organized. Everyone is very friendly. The clinic is clean. And I’m always brought back on time or if not they have communicated with me. I appreciate that.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
From the first time I met her I felt so comfortable. You can tell she genuinely cares for her patients, getting to the cause of your fertility problems and coming up with an individual care plan to help achieve your end goal. I feel welcomed and listened to each time I’m with her and her clinical team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
Very attentive and thorough in answering my questions and in a timely matter
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine has a sweet demeanor, has great bedside manor and is very to the point. She is great at listening and answering every question I present. I began seeing her after my previous RE retired within the practice. The transition was seemless and I am so pleased with the attention to detail and protocol she has put in place for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Initially starting with a fertility consult can be very scary and intimidating and although she wasn’t my initial Dr on this journey I had to start over with a new protocol with her and I was immediately heard and cared for. She is relatable and incredibly knowledgeable. She is every active in the community, an author and advocate. Overall a great physician!
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Shahine has set up a FET protocol for my which included birth control pills, a saline sonogram, Lupron, Estrogen patches and Progesterone in Oil injections. Lupron was part of my protocol due to the suspicion of endometriosis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
I did get a sheet with the 2018 FET cost estimate. I don’t have the specifics on hand but with meds it was around $6,000 per transfer.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
All of the physicians with in the clinic agree that 1 healthy pregnancy at a time is best. Best for Mom and baby as a pregnancy with multiples run a higher chance of encountering risks. However, they will consider transferring 2 on a case by case basis.
Seattle
Front desk staff [Pacific NW Fertility] is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately.... One prescription wasn’t called into our pharmacy in the timeframe we had expected. When we brought it to the clinic’s attention, the situation was immediately remedied.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Front desk staff is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately. We don’t have much experience with the on-site lab for blood draws. The clinic seems to always be running on time, which is pretty amazing. There was only one occasion when they were about ten minutes behind schedule, and we were informed at check-in, and an MA came out to give us an updated timeline so we knew what to expect (again, for just a ten minute delay).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Lamb has always been very forth-coming with the level of detail we were looking for in terms of understanding the science of what is (and is not) happening, AND she does it in a very compassionate and empathetic manner. She reads people (at least she reads us!) very well, and seems to truly understand that even when we are struggling to understand the science, we are still in the midst of a very emotional process. She responds to our emotional display in slowing down a bit, asking if we need a break, etc—but never witholding or “sugar-coating” the information we are seeking.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Peterson)
Ms Peterson was assigned to us a bit later in our treatment course—Dr Lamb’s primary medical assistant had had a couple of health-related leaves of absence, and while the clinic was trying to provide coverage, things just weren’t going as smoothly as we expected. When we raised this concern to Dr Lamb, she immediately asked Ms Peterson to follow-up and address our MA-RN related concerns. Tim’s Peterson exceeded our expectations for timely and thoughtful communication, and was clearly invested in preventing any further communication-related frustration.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
We initially chose to see Dr Lamb (as opposed to the another clinic provider) because her bio on the clinic website seemed like the best initial fit. As a lesbian couple who (initially) was “only needing IUI,” we were worried about feeling like “less of a priority” because we weren’t seeking IVF or something else complicated. But from our very first visit with Dr Lamb, it felt very clear that she was going to dedicate whatever time and attention our treatment plan required. We really felt like to only patients in the clinic when she was sitting in front of us—she was never rushing off to another clinic appointment, never seemed annoyed by our questions—even when we had a half dozen of them! She has always been very compassionate in her demeanor and is easy to talk to about very intimate details of our lives.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Don’t be afraid to ask the “hard questions” that you really want answers to or are wondering about — it might be scary to hear the answer, but hearing it from Dr Lamb really does make it a little easier!
Describe the protocols Julie Lamb used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We started with a very basic protocol because all labs, u/s, and hysterosalpingogram were normal. For our first 5 cycles, I took letrozole days 3-7, had a day 12 u/s, then timed ovulation trigger based on u/s results. For the 6th cycle, we tried a ten-day course of letrozole, but because of thin ing of the uterine lining, we didn’t continue that in cycle 7. Cycle 7 we did letrozole days 3-7 + injectables, with day 12 u/s. We used letrozole instead of clinic per Dr Lamb’s recommendation to lower the risk of multiples.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility.
We were provided with a price sheet at the very first appointment, and while we did not expect our insurance to cover any of our fertility-related care, the clinic agreed to bill insurance prior to collecting payment from us. Our insurance ended up covering some components of the care, and it was super convenient to us that hey had been willing to bill.
Describe Julie Lamb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Strengths - everyone is very kind. Its a nice, inviting space [Pacific NW Fertility]....Suzanne, the phlebotomist, is amazing. She is so gentle...Weaknesses - there does seem to be a lot of turn over of the front office staff....If you have to park, its very expensive....Make your call to the clinic early - I had to schedule my first consultation three months out and when I decided to go ahead with IVF I had to wait two more months to start. ....Physician fees and embryology fees were approx $18,000. Plus about $3,000 for PGS. And now $800 for FET....
European, East Asian
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths - everyone is very kind. Its a nice, inviting space. All the magazines a girl could dream of. Suzanne, the phlebotomist, is amazing. She is so gentle. She never bruised me. She took her time and really treated me with care. The location is perfect for me, as I work 3 blocks away. Weaknesses - there does seem to be a lot of turn over of the front office staff. When Suzanne didn't draw my blood there was always a different face - none of them 1/2 as good as Suzanne. Once when I called in with a question the front desk staff said they would have a RN call me back right away, four hours late I still hadn't heard from anyone and I knew they had weekend hours so I called again and the same woman said "yes, they know you have a question and will call soon" well about 10 min late I did receive a call and the RN said that they were just closing up for the day. If I hadn't followed up, I wouldn't have gotten a response for 24 hrs. If you have to park, its very expensive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
As a RN I asked the clinic to not treat me as someone 'in the know' because I work in a completely different area of specialty and I didn't want to have to teach my husband about all of the lingo and meaning. Dr. Marshall definitely respected that, deciphering ultra sounds and going into great details of procedures and offering descriptions that we would understand (e.g. during FET the uterus is a like an English muffin, not smooth and hopefully the little embryo will nestle itself into a pocket or shelf). She also shared personal stories with me and seemed interested in hearing about our lives as well. If we ever waited a long time in the exam room, she apologized.
Emily is the perfect fit for this role. She is friendly, very easy to talk to, compassionate without crying all the time (which is what I wanted to do), concise and organized. I never felt that she didn't know what she was talking about. And if she didn't know, she readily told me she would find out from Dr. Marshall. When all is chaotic (in my head) Emily is like a lighthouse. When I really wanted to fixate on something, she wouldn't let me. For example, when the embryos were growing I asked her to tell me the grades of them, she kindly told me she could tell me that information but that the grades don't reflect quality so... she was totally right. I would have taken that information and spent hours researching it on the internet and stressing out. She gave very clear instructions - demonstrated injections, gave us a print out, sent us a video and email reminders. Even after all those tools and I messed up, she assured me that it was ok and they (she and Dr. Marshall and all of PNWF would fix it and set me up for success. She was fun to joke with. She always called or emailed when she said she would.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is very knowledgeable, experienced and open about unknowns. She has been in the business for a very long time, I think over 30 years and she is one of the founders of PNWF. You can look at her bio and see all her credentials, its pretty impressive! And she utilizes her knowledge well. I really felt that my plan was catered to me, not a blanket protocol. She explains well without going into too much medical jargon that would overwhelm, which I really appreciated. The process is overwhelming enough and being on tons of hormones its very easy for her to say a word I'm not familiar with and make me crazy googling that word! She doesn't bog you down with unnecessary details. For example while we were waiting for my lining to be thick enough to transfer, she would say "almost there, i think next check you'll be ready" but she didn't disclose what "almost there" meant. At first this annoyed me but what would I have done with the information? There isn't anything I can do to make my lining get thicker other than do what they are telling me to do already. She provided necessary information : next time the lining will be thick enough. As far as experience, I think it really shows in how she anticipates every turn. She was right every time. And she rolls with the punches. After a very long period of waiting to complete my IVF cycle with the FET of my one and only good embryo, I messed up my medication regimen (I forgot to switch to progesterone 6 days prior to my FET). I panicked and called the clinic who had to contact Dr. Marshall off-hours and within 10 min. I was set-up with a new game plan. I guess after all this time she really has seen very possible patient mistake!! I'm devastated that I made a mistake that cost me my transfer. Dr. Marshall undoubtedly knows the heart-ache my mistake costs me but she also knows that my one embryo and 3+ years of trying isn't worth risking until everything is perfect. This makes me truly believe that she really wants this to be successful. As far as disclosing unknowns, we have had several conversations about the advancements of science and the lack of understanding of what make embryo(s) stick. They make the uterus as receptive as possible, gently place the embryo in and hope it sticks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Make your call to the clinic early - I had to schedule my first consultation three months out and when I decided to go ahead with IVF I had to wait two more months to start. She is highly sought after. I have no advice specifically related to working with Dr. Marshall. Regarding infertility in itself, I strongly suggest that people do not read forums. The fertility team is a group of experts with lots of direct patient experience, just because someone has been though IVF 3 times does not make them an expert.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve (AMH ) and probable poor egg quality, other than that I don't know why the meds and doses were chosen. my IVF regimen was as follows: 3 weeks of BCP suppression check/blood work Follistim 450 IU and miniHCG 20u for 12 days Meanwhile reporting to the clinic day 5 (9 follicles), day 7 (12 follicles), day 9 (14 follicles), day 11 (13 follicles), and day 12 (12 follicles) for ultrasounds/blood work Started Ganerelix on day 9 On day 12 max follicle size was 18.6 so HCG Trigger shot was scheduled for that night with retrieval the next morning. Egg retrieval in the morning, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 of those were mature Day one report - 5 fertilized Day 5 - 1 blastocyst and two more still growing Day 6 - 2 blastocysts, both biopsied and frozen PGS report a four days later (we were told it would take 2 weeks) - 1 chromosomal normal blastocyst About a week after the retrieval I had a hysteroscopy and removal of some polyps found during the Saline Sonogram. Then I took a month and a half break (continuing birth control pills) to allow healing. For the FET, I did 2 weeks of lupron at 10u (some overlap with the BCP). A suppression check and blood work prior to starting Estrogen patches. The patches started at two every other day for a week then increased to 3 patches every other day for a few days then up to 4 patches every other day. Lupron had been reduced to 5 units every day. My first lining check was not thick enough so I continued with 4 patches. Still continuing with Lupron. Finally my lining was thick enough (it took 5 weeks instead of the 4 that was initially outlined). Progesterone was to start 6 days prior to transfer, meanwhile continuing with 2 estrogen patches and 5u of lupron.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
Physician fees and embryology fees were approx $18,000. Plus about $3,000 for PGS. And now $800 for FET. Meds for IVF were about $4,000. Meds for FET about $1200
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Marshall had a strong preference to transfer only one embryo from the beginning (stated at our initial consultation). We were every happy with that. Other clinics leaned strongly towards multiple embryo transfer. We only ended up with one anyway
Seattle
The ARNPs at Pacific Northwest Fertility are amazing. They are the ones that have done all my IUIs and ultrasounds. They are always pleasant and compassionate. The nursing staff and MA staff are okay. Sometimes they are hard to understand on the phone but they always call when they say they will and are more than willing to get answers to questions they don't know the answer to.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
PNW Fertility is a great clinic. They are accommodating when scheduling procedures, testing, and ultrasounds. They are open every day and it was never an issue to get in when necessary. They are a smaller clinic so it feels like they get to know you and you never feel like a "number". The clinic is clean, organized, and welcoming.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Swelstad took the time to get to know us and talk to us about our lives outside of fertility. Our visits are always personable and enjoyable and he takes time to just chat instead of being in a hurry to get to the next patient.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Swelstad is a pleasure to work with. He is caring and compassionate but also tells you how it is, not just what you want to hear. He will give you all the facts, good or bad, and allow you to make your own decisions. He is easy to understand and always has charts and visual aids to help explain things in an easy to understand way. Even though we have not yet had success, I believe he will get us to our goal and trust that he knows how to get there.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Listen to what he says, even if it is not what you want to hear. He will give you options but also give his opinion. I wish I had listened to his opinion earlier even though it would mean moving to IVF sooner.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We started with Dr. Swedlstad after 3 rounds of medicated cycles (clomid) with two of them including IUIs. Dr. Swelstad instantly switched us to Femera and did 3 cycles of that with IUIs. After this, we took a break and moved to combo cycles with 5 days of Femera and 3 days of Follistim injections followed by a trigger and IUI. The last 2 cycles, we also used suppository progesterone. All cycles failed.
PCOS, Unexplained
MY care coordinator [at Pacific NW Fertility] is Emily. I have worked with at least 2 other nurses in this office. All of them are very kind and caring. Always calling to check on me and to make sure I am dong ok on my medications. When I am seen in the office Emily and all the other staff always have a smile on their face...IVF cycle cost around $25,000...This clinic overall is a great place to be receiving fertility services. No one wants to be in this situation but this is where you want to be going through it. The entire clinic is well run, usually on time and always clean.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
She takes the time to discuss the options and gives you time to ask questions. She cares about how you feel during your treatments. She takes the time when something is uncomfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
MY care coordinator is Emily. I have worked with at least 2 other nurses in this office. All of them are very kind and caring. Always calling to check on me and to make sure I am dong ok on my medications. When I am seen in the office Emily and all the other staff always have a smile on their face.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It has been a long road for my husband and I. I met Dr. Marshall during my ART consultation. During this consultation, she was very informative and concise, which is what I look for in a doctor. She took the time to explain the entire process of IVF and answered questions along the way. She has told me how it is through this journey that I am still on. She has told me her concerns and what she feels would be best but always giving me options to choose from.
She is a great doctor and would recommend to all. Although this journey I am on is not something that has been planned, she has made it easier to get through.
I am currently on my first round of IVF. I am on Follistim and Mini HCG. She has titrated the amount according to my labs. She used Ganirelix. She is using a dual trigger with Lupron and HCG. SHe recommends freezing your embryos for at least 2 months to reset your body.
My first and, at this point, my only IVF cycle cost around $25,000.
I do know the office I go to has a protocol for this. For the age I am, she recommends not transferring more then 2 embryos at a time.
Seattle
They [Pacific NW Fertility] were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human... We got quotes for both and outside monitor IVF with and with PGS and quotes for outside monitoring donor cycles. Costs ranged from 22,000ish to 40,000 ish with and without medications
European, Other
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human
She is so kind but explains everything very well. She gets to the point but has compassion. She knew about us and didn’t have to look through a chart while she talked. She did her homework. She is amazing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Can’t remember her name)
The whole office was kind, welcoming and caring. The office was brightly lit wh big windows overlooking downtown seattle
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.
You will love her. She is so kind, so caring. She is educated, direct and compassionate. She is prepared for your visit and treats you with respect and explains everything fully.
She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs. But she wanted to make sure whatever choice we made she would go 100% toward that choice and do everything she could to make our dream come true
I understand the single versus multiple egg transfer. Dr Shahine’s clinic promoted single egg high quality transfer. The thought of multiples scared us so that eased our minds.
Seattle
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a great clinic the staff, the lab techs, the blood drawers the nurses and main doctors are always there to help! I have no negatives! I would like to explain to a new patient that goes in expecting a baby the first round that it's not always like this and its a hard pill to swallow when it happens to you. But this clinic is there for you to help you get to your baby. Even with the struggles they are always comforting. Even when you just need to cry.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Lora Shahine makes us feel like family every time we enter her office! WE love her deeply and her care for us shows in her words and actions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Grey)
Emily has been so amazing! I am the patient that sends over a million emails a day and she answers every single one in a timely manner! She is always smiling at our appointments and laughing along with us. She is a gem and we love her dearly and once again we are grateful God picked her for our team!
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora Shahine is a caring individual. She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.
Know that you aren't just working with a doctor. You will be working with a friend.
We used estrogen patches and Lupron first cycle but it affected my lining negatively so we went with estrogen and estrace and no Lupron and it helped! Once we transferred I was on estrogen, progesterone, estrace and aspirin. This ended in a Chemical pregnancy
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were great for us. We live over an hour and a half a way and we had back to back appointments during the winter and they always would either see us earlier or get us in right on time because they understood our travel.
So far for our whole experience we have spent a grand total of 30,000.00 including retrieval and transfer. Meds we have spent around 15,000.00 through our pharmacy.
I trust our doctor and what she says will be best for my body.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
My experience with my IVF coordinator [at Pacific NW Fertility - Sea], Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch...The high quality of the experience I have had is embedded in how PNWF operates. All my interactions with PNWF doctors have been very positive. I believe their equipment and protocols are top notch...The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care... Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
My experience with my IVF coordinator, Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch. It is difficult to identify all the traits that an ideal IVF coordinator has, but my experience with Emily has helped to crystallize them: • Deeply knowledgeable – Emily’s ability to smoothly manage communication and coordination among my doctor, the front desk, my pharmacy, geneticists, and others is rooted in her knowledge of both IVF medicine and the PNWF process. Her knowledge is broad (covering my questions on embryo banking, acceptable medications, etc.) and deep (e.g., risks associated with back-to-back IVF cycles). I’ve worked with many nurses in multiple fields who can go through the motions, but can’t connect each process step or my question to the bigger goal. Emily goes way beyond. • Commitment to results – As with Dr. Marshall and with the entire team, Emily has always been “in it to win it” with my husband and me. During one visit, I expressed that I appreciated her working with me even after I had proven to be the Cancellation Queen. She responded immediately and confidently: “I’ve never known you as that.” At that moment, I realized how important it is to feel in my bones the support and belief of the team you are partnering with. • Attunement and sensitivity – Emily is upbeat when delivering good news, and compassionate when delivering bad news. This sensitivity is HUGE when going through the IVF process. There is nothing worse than going through a gut-wrenching process with a tone deaf partner. • Proactive and clear – Emily stays ahead of me in all aspects of the process: from sending me a tentative calendar before we’ve even finalized target dates to ensuring my prescriptions are ready to go. • Responsive and patient – I’m not an easy patient. I ask lots of questions. All the time. Emily has been gracious with her attention and timely with her responses, often providing more information and insight than I even know to ask for. The rest of the nursing staff and front desk staff has been great to work with as well. At a certain point, I started to feel like a regular given the number and frequency of my visits. Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals. The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a friend of mine with extremely high standards. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. During our discussion my prior cycles became critical inputs for deciding how to move forward. My prior doctors had made very solid decisions, but the key to better results was precisely pinpointing what needed to be changed based on what did not work in the past. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
Work with Dr. Marshall and you can relax.
Estradiol for suppression. Clomid + High dosage follistim for stimulation. Human growth hormone for finishing. The timing Dr. Marshall used for each step was critical for changing my results.
~$10K for physician services (monitoring, aspiration, transfer); ~$9K for embryology (insemination, blastocyst culture, cryopreservation)
Seattle
The quality of care is great [at Pacific NW Fertility], very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.... We opted for the refund plan, which, once you added the extra fees for ICSI, anesthesia, etc came to over $20,000. The terms were that if you used all your embryos in 12 months and still hadn't sustained a pregnancy to 12 weeks, you would be refunded 80% (not including those extra fees and add-ons).
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The quality of care is great, very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.
I felt very good after our first consultation with Dr.Swelstad. He was a great conversationalist and seemed interested in our situation in both a professional and personal way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa Fox)
Alyssa, who no longer works at PNWF, was awesome at communicating with us by email while we were still overseas and trying to get everything organized to start our cycle. I contacted multiple clinics and never got a better or more prompt response than from her. This was crucial to our decision to go with this clinic and her continued support and communication made the whole process very smooth.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Overall we were very happy with Dr. Swelstad. The only negative thing we encountered was the way in which he approached his recommendation that we use ICSI in our first IVF cycle. According to my husband's sperm analysis all his numbers were above average, except for morphology, which was at the low end of average, but still in a normal range. To me, this indicated that there was no male factor, or at least not one that had been proven. Dr. Swelstad's rationale was that because we had unexplained infertility and had never conceived, it was possible that the sperm were having trouble fertilizing the egg despite the numbers being normal. He recommended that we use ICSI and gave us a ballpark figure of the price (not included in our IVF cycle plan) that turned out to be significantly lower than the actual price. Though he apologized for this later with the usual "I'm a doctor, I'm not in billing," we felt that if a doctor is going to strongly recommend an optional and expensive add-on treatment, that he should be informed about current pricing. After discussing it on our own and discovering the real price of ICSI, which seemed to be exorbitant compared to some other clinics we looked into and the national average, we decided we did not want to do ICSI. Dr. Swelstad then proceeded to call us to make the case again. In some ways we appreciated the personal attention, especially as he made the call at 5 pm, but we also felt quite pressured to proceed with ICSI. In the end, since we only had 7 eggs that were mature enough to be fertilized at all, we were glad we did ICSI, which resulted in 6/7 being fertilized. However, if we had had more eggs I don't think this procedure would have been necessary at all, and the clinic would not give us the option of making the decision after the egg retrieval. It is a fine line since the clinic does, of course, have a vested interest in achieving success, but we did feel pressured, despite Dr. Swelstad's generally kind demeanor and obvious commitment to getting us our positive outcome.
We did a fresh IVF cycle using my husband's frozen sperm and my own eggs. I was on fairly standard doses of follistim (increased from 300 daily to 375 when I wasn't responding enough), mini HCG, and later Ganirelix. My follicles weren't getting big enough, thus the increased dosage. If I did it again I would want to be on the higher dosage from the beginning, as I believe this was the cause of our relatively mediocre-average egg retrieval count. But at the time there was no way of knowing how I would respond, and we definitely didn't want to over-stimulate. I needed a few extra days, and therefore extra doses of ganirelix, but it all worked out well in the end, and I experienced almost no side effects at all from the treatment. 11 eggs retrieved, 7 were mature, 6 were fertilized using ICSI, and 5 survived to day 5. We transferred two and are now pregnant with twins.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Brad Swelstad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
There was no option because we chose a refund plan that required us to transfer two at a time, and we were fine with that.
2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care....We did an embryo donation....When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process
2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care. If you don't want to feel like a number being passed through a conveyer belt system PNW fertility if for you.
Doctor shahine always took extra time with me was and explained everything throughly. She was patient with me and let us take our time in making decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa )
When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process and even contacted us after our baby was born to follow up! She was incredible!
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I absolutely loved doctor shahine! She was patient and through with her information and very current with her knowledge. She was also Very compassionate. The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
I would go into the whole process with a open mind and a positive attitude - and I felt doctor shahine was good at fostering these.
We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation to confirm that we were st the best possible starting place to Give the most ultimum results. I had to have a Procedure to remove scar tissue which pushed back the transfer procedure but in the long run this was a great preventive step to avoid miscarriage.
The ebryo transfer with medications was about 5k and then the procedure to remove scar tissue was about 1500$ after insurance.
I liked the fact that they promote single transfer - doctor Shahine's rational for it was that the risk didn't out weight the small chance of benefit. I being an older mom the risk of caring multiples to a full healthy term didn't justify the small percent bump of likely hood of implantation that you might get from transferring two.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment [at Pacific NW Fertility]. Make sure to get all of your records sent asap. They might cancel your appt if not! The front desk signed for and lost my records that I overnighted them, but I was able to upload them to the patient portal last minute, thankfully! I really like my current coordinator but some of the other coordinators or nurses there were not as patient or helpful. Previously, I felt a bit patronized when I asked questions via email, which is annoying because I am a highly educated person working in healthcare myself.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment. Make sure to get all of your records sent asap. They might cancel your appt if not! The front desk signed for and lost my records that I overnighted them, but I was able to upload them to the patient portal last minute, thankfully! I really like my current coordinator but some of the other coordinators or nurses there were not as patient or helpful. Previously, I felt a bit patronized when I asked questions via email, which is annoying because I am a highly educated person working in healthcare myself. Neither Dr. Lamb nor Yvette have caused me to feel this way, though! Repeat your SA at this clinic. They do a more in depth analysis, and we learned that we have both female and male factor fertility issues! I believe that this clinic has one of the best embryology labs.
She listened to our concerns and didn't rush us. Dr. Lamb even gave us advice on a cycle she wasn't managing, the first time we met her. She reviewed our records thoroughly and found 3 major things our previous RE missed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: There have been 2 of them since we started. Yvette has been awesome!)
The first coordinator and fill in staff were much less helpful than the coordinator that we have now. Yvette is our current coordinator and I value her help!
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very kind and honest as she reviewed our history. She pointed out that ivf was the next best step for us (given many months of failed Clomid, Femara, and injectable Follistim cycles) but was willing to help us with more injectable cycles and iui if we preferred. She was very thorough, most importantly! She found things my last RE missed: low sperm morphology, uterine septum, and Ashermans syndrome when she went in to remove the septum via hysteroscopy. We valued her attention to detail immensely. She has also been very kind and a good cheerleader when I've felt low. We did do ivf and had a great retrieval -- many eggs and good fertilization with icsi. Many embryos were made and 4 were normal on PGS. I have had 1 fet that didn't take but am looking forward to doing another asap -- hopefully with success this time!
I think treatment at her clinic is more expensive but the quality and attention to detail are worth it! Definitely have a consult with her and come prepared with your records!
I have PCOS and a high afc. History of ohss on an injectable cycle with ti with another provider. She watched me very closely because of this due to risk for ohss again and was able to avoid it! I believe it was an antagonist protocol -- Follistim 225 and low dose hcg daily to start with. Follistim decreased to 150 after first ultrasound. Ganirelex to suppress premature ovulation. Dual trigger with hcg and Lupron. Yield was 26 eggs, 21 fertilized with icsi,14 embryos frozen by day 5-6. 4 of these were pgs normal. I am 38.
We live out of the area and primarily had outside monitoring. The clinic worked nicely with our local radiology clinic. Monitoring done in the days prior to retrieval at PNWF was smooth -- no excessuve waiting. I was happy with it.
I can't remember because we had so many medical costs lately. I think ivf was around 15k with outside monitoring. Icsi was extra. Biopsy of embryos was extra. Medications were extra. Fet with outside monitoring is over 3k, not including meds.
Dr. Lamb prefers ESET with pgs tested embryos. Her rationale was sound!
PCOS, Unexplained
I would say my clinic's [Pacific NW Fertility] greatest strength is their size. They are very small which makes you feel like you are more than a number. Everyone from the staff, nurses, and doctors and very friendly, understanding and nice. The biggest weakness, I would have to say, is communication. Sometimes there is a delay in hearing back from them if you email or call with question.Each IUI cycle (including meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and lab work) cost about $1,100 out of pocket - my insurance does not cover infertility medications or treatments. I was told that I can expect IVF to cost between $20,000 - $25,000
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I would say my clinic's greatest strength is their size. They are very small which makes you feel like you are more than a number. Everyone from the staff, nurses, and doctors and very friendly, understanding and nice. The biggest weakness, I would have to say, is communication. Sometimes there is a delay in hearing back from them if you email or call with question.
I had previously gone to another clinic in my city where my treatment plan was confused with another patient's on more than one occasion. My previous doctor felt very cold and made promises that were unreasonable. As soon as I met with Dr. Marshall I felt like she cared about my husband and me and didn't try to make promises that couldn't be kept. All the staff at PNWF are so warm and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika Exkano)
I originally had another nurse when I first started my treatment at the clinic, but she was promoted and I was assigned a new one. My current nurse is very kind and compassionate and very friendly. She is also very helpful if I ever have any questions.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
When meeting with Dr. Marshall I felt very confident in her knowledge. She has a gentle disposition and is able to clearly explain the process and procedures she recommended. I went to her after having a bad experience at another clinic and upon meeting her she put my mind at ease.
Expect to not see her at every visit.
Dr. Marshall's first treatment plan was to have me try Metformin as she explained that it sometimes helps patients with PCOS get pregnant naturally. My body didn't react well to the Metformin so she then had me start on Clomid with IUI. Her reason was that there is a better chance in conceiving with IUI versus naturally as the timing is exactly right. After 7 cycles of Clomid (and 6 IUIs) she recommended that we move forward with IVF.
Each IUI cycle (including meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and lab work) cost about $1,100 out of pocket - my insurance does not cover infertility medications or treatments. I was told that I can expect IVF to cost between $20,000 - $25,000.
I was told that my clinic likes to transfer single embryos; however, if we would like to transfer two we have that option. They would not transfer more than two.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
[Pacific NW Fertility] Strengths: Small, privately owned, competent, clean, high-tech, compassionate care team Weaknesses: Traffic getting across town sucks for multiple treatments Things to look for in a clinic: There should be no pictures of babies in the waiting room, no parenting magazines, and nothing to remind you of babies or children. If this is the case, you know that the staff is trying to maximize your psychological comfort. (Any woman in fertility treatment knows that seeing the giant bellies and all the baby posters at the OB's office is torture.) Even our nurse coordinator, who was pregnant, concealed her baby belly under her lab coat. Really considerate of her. Pay attention to how you're treated and whether your doctor or nurses remember your case when he/she sees you. At our first clinic, not this one, the doctor would be reading our chart while she was in front of us to try to remember who we were. The nurses at our last clinic got us confused with other couples. This did not happen at PNWF, thankfully! You do not have to put up with that kind of treatment!
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I have experiences with two clinics in Seattle and this was the far better of the two. The smaller clinic size meant that I got to know the nurses and doctors.
There was staff turnover for us because of maternity leave and retirements. The clinic was juggling a lot while also managing our care. I don't think our quality of care suffered.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is competent and speaks clearly, though not necessarily an overly warm or gushing personality. My husband and I make a lot of jokes and she would often simply smile at us, and sometimes laugh a little, but not give a huge guffaw. (I call the vaginal ultrasound wand, "My old friend.") I thought we had a good, collaborative working relationship. I can't work with a doctor with zero sense of humor, especially about something so crazy as fertility treatment and IVF. I appreciated her openness to answering my questions and telling me what she was doing step by step. She'd take time to explain everything she was seeing on the ultrasound, which I appreciated. I learned a lot going through this process and she is open to taking a teacher approach, which is what I desire in a doctor. She also held my hand at one point before the egg retrieval and said, sincerely, "We want this to work for you." That meant a lot to me and made me cry (in a good way).
You really have to trust your doctor a whole lot during what may be the most vulnerable and stressful period of your life. This person is going to see you at your worst. Don't be afraid to switch doctors. We switched to Dr. Marshall from another doctor at another clinic. As with any doctor, speak up and advocate for your own care. Things do slip through the cracks and open communication is key. ...I still never fully got the hang of fertility treatment -- I was never fully comfortable with having to be a part of that system, though much of the struggle was in my own head. It's important to recognize in yourself when the doctor is really the problem, or the problem is within yourself. Conceiving a child is such a personal, magical thing -- and here you have to welcome strangers into the process. Eventually, with IVF, they will no longer be strangers but some of the people you see most often during the week. Fit is so important.
We had male factor infertility caused by cancer treatment. We used husband's frozen sperm. Treatment plan with this clinic was two IUIs, one of which resulted in miscarriage and another that didn't take. We'd had three IUI failures at a previous clinic, as well. Dr. Marshall encouraged us to continue with IUIs, but I was tired of failures and the imprecision with my irregular menstrual cycle -- so I made the case for IVF and Dr. Marshall agreed. This is important to note because the clinic makes a LOT more money off of an IVF patient than an IUI patient. And yet, Dr. Marshall did not push us to do IVF before we were ready, in fact, I was ready to take the next step and asked for IVF. It's important to have a doctor who sees you as a human being with hopes for a family, rather than a source of cash and profit.
From memory: $5,000 - $10,000 out of pocket over the years $15,000 - $25,000 insurance over the years
We did genetic screening of our embryos, put one embryo in, and I am now seven months pregnant with an apparently healthy baby. The genetic screening cost about $2,500 out of pocket. This seems like a reasonable risk/reward for our family to minimize the chances of a failed transfer and to minimize the odds of multiples.
Seattle
Every time I've gone under anesthesia [at Pacific NW Fertility], I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.... I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise.
Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle. Every time I've gone under anesthesia, I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a doctor friend of mine. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
You're smart to work with her. You can relax now.
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients. Suppression with estradiol. Then a combination of Clomid, Follistim, and Omnitrope. I will need to confirm exact timing and doses.
We froze embryos after both cycles.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
We did a multicycle IVF plan [at Pacific NW Fertility] that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether...All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!..When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are very organized and always professional. When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent. The only downside for me was that parking gets pricey!
Dr. Lamb took her time during our appointments to answer all of the questions we had and was always empathetic, even at our first appointment when things got emotional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolf)
All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb seems to "know her stuff" very well and I felt like our treatment plan was tailored to our medical situation and results. I felt like she was genuinely rooting for us and in tune with the emotional side of going through these treatments and procedures. I am a numbers person and at times would have liked more precise percentages from her (e.g. likelihood of x happening) but I also know that data isn't always available.
Take your time and come prepared with questions!
I have DOR and we used an estrace lead in with no birth control suppression, followed by Follistim and miniHCG with Ganirelix added in just prior to expected retrieval. We had one canceled IVF cycle due to a dominant follicle (converted to IUI, which was unsuccessful) and our second cycle resulted in three eggs retrieved and fertilized. By day 5, only one remained and we did a fresh transfer that was successful.
We did a multicycle IVF plan that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether.
My doctor did not have a strong opinion on one versus two embryo transfer, and was comfortable holding off on the decision until 1-2 days before transfer. She did talk with me about the pros and cons and provided information on the risks of multiples. We only had three embryos and just one made it to transfer on day 5, so the decision was made for us.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Costs at the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet.... Friendly and professional front-desk staff; a clean and bright atmosphere; a generally warm attitude from all I interacted with. I had to be on top of my billing and regularly review charges as there were a couple of times when charges were done in error and one time when a test was done (and I was charged for it) when I explicitly asked that it not be done.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb was warm, caring and understanding. She always referred to me by my preferred (nick) name and took the time to respond to all my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Julie's medical assistant at the time was Mary. She was somewhat erratic - very responsive at times and not very responsive at other times. She was always well-meaning and kind in person.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was cooperative in her approach, listening and integrating the recommendations of another doctor I had consulted with in another state. She was willing to order tests she normally does not and prescribed medication she normally does not because of the additional input I had brought to the table. This was essential for me. But I am not confident that if I had not received the out-of-state consultation, I would have been successful with just Dr. Lamb's recommendations.
Ask a lot of questions and be your own advocate, realizing that no one can help you as much as you can help yourself.
IUIs with partner or donor sperm, following Letrozole on cycle days 3-7, ultrasound to confirm mature follicles, and ovulation-stimulating shot.
Costs at the clinic change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet. The clinic was good about referring me to a pharmacy where the drugs I needed were lower cost that typical.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's...My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy...For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications.
European, Middle Eastern
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's. I think some women want the docs to do everything, but that's not a sustainable model. My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy.
Dr. Lamb customized her plan to my body. For every setback we had, she had a new idea for something to try. This made me feel like she was taking care of me and not just following a standard formula for fertility care
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda Lloyd)
Melinda, who has since retired, was amazing. She was prompt and always returned my calls. She set up calls with Dr. Lamb as needed or when she couldn't answer my questions. I felt so well cared for with Melinda as my point person.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is an exceptional physician. She is honest, compassionate, and extremely bright. My situation was somewhat unique, and she continued to correct the course of treatment to try to improve outcomes. She is blunt, which I really appreciated. I think the number one rule to survive years of fertility treatments is to manage expectations. Dr. Lamb does that beautifully.
Prepare for honesty. She does not sugar coat. Do your homework and come prepared with questions.
We started with a "standard" IVF (although she had to adjust my dose of Follistim mid-course to higher levels). She retrieved 25 eggs but only 3 were mature and fertilized (only 1 grew to 5 days and was chromosomally normal). To increase the number of mature eggs the second IVF, she modified the protocol to change the timing of my trigger shot and start with a higher Follistim dose. That resulted in fewer total eggs retrieved but 12 were mature and fertilized (resulting in 6 that grew out to 5 days and were chromosomally normal). I have done a total of 5 FETs. We started with a standard FET cycle which didn't work. The second time she modified the dose of estrogen. Then we took a break (I did a uterine biopsy which showed evidence of endometriosis; my sample was sent to Bruce Lessy and I am lacking some receptor (beta-something...it's been a while so I forgot the name). I then did 3 months of once monthly Lupron injections to "re-set". I had 2 FETs after that which did not work, even though we did adjust a few things along the way. Finally my fifth FET we did a "natural" cycle where I ovulated via letrozole. I ended up pregnant with the FET embryo and a new one because we did not listen to Dr. Lamb and had sex during the FET cycle. So I had twins (it was an eSET so they knew that the second one was because I had ovulated and had sex. Oops). Joke was on us because I miscarried at 9 weeks. Because I had gotten pregnant on my own, Dr. Lamb wanted to preserve the last two frozen embryos I had and instead go back to basics: Letrozole and timed intercourse. The first month that didn't work but the second month it work. And I had a healthy baby boy in Sept 2016. Long story short...2 IVFs and 5 embryo transfers over the course of 4 years and I got pregnant with Letrozole and old fashioned sex. But I have no doubt that all the things Dr. Lamb did along the way primed my body for pregnancy. Even though I don't remember everything we did, she adjusted the course every single FET to try something new.
For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications. Anesthesia was billed separately and was usually in the range of $700.
This is one of the reasons I love Dr. Lamb. She feels pretty strongly about eSET which I agree with. My sister did fertility treatments in NYC and those docs are like cowboys. They love pushing multiple embryo transfers. And why? Twins are hard on the mom and the fetuses. It's so risky!! Dr. Lamb feels this way as well. She is concerned about a patient's health in addition to fertility desires.
IUI, 1 IVF
Loved this clinic [Pacific NW Fertility]! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Loved this clinic! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
While they were very friendly most of the time, there were moments when I had to remind them of my history details and things/wishes we had discussed at prior appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie)
Kallie was was extremely friendly and easy to talk to.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very informative on my first visit letting me know what to expect; however, on subsequent visits her answers were not always consistent. She did not always recall my past history or family planning goals we had previously discussed. With that being said, she was very friendly and appointments never felt rushed. And really, I cannot complain because in the end the IVF was successful on my first attempt.
Be your own advocate. Ask questions on each visit and be prepared to gently remind her/staff of your history and goals.
Eek-I can't recall this. A lot of meds-it is all kept me of a blur now. They did make me a calendar to give me specific instructions and keep me organized.
Total cost for everything including meds, one IVF freeze all cycle, embryo transfer cycle, genetic testing of both my husband and I, embryo genetic testing, etc. totaled about $35,000.
PNWFertility places emphasis on ONE and I am behind this philosophy. They did ask me if I would like to transfer 2, giving me the option based on my specific circumstances. However, they still highly recommended just transferringnone which is what I decided.
2013 - 2016
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Such a convenient location! [Pacific Northwest Fertility in Seattle is] only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus....Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge)....There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality
European, Black or African-American
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Such a convenient location! Only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus.
Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life. I am an RN at a nearby trauma hospital and we have talked a bit about that as well. Dr Marshall is encouraging and optimistic and enthusiastic and she has me convinced that we can make this thing work!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda and Adriana)
Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge). Melinda is good about letting me know when she won't be in the office, so I know to ask for her backup coordinator when I call. She even went to bat for me (along with Dr Marshall) to get the clinic to offer me the cancer rate discount, even though this second egg retrieval is happening AFTER my chemo/treatment.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns.
Ask lots of questions. Write things down so you don't forget the little details.
2013 egg retrieval before chemo: Menopur/Follistim/Ganirelix and HCG trigger. I was 35 years old and we got 11 eggs. 8 made it to freeze as embryos at day 3; 2 made it to day 5 freeze (in 2015), and one of those was found to be chromosomally normal after PGS testing. The remaining embryo has the genetic mutation that caused my cancer, so we are currently doing a second egg retrieval in one more shot to try for a baby without this mutation hanging over their head. Based on my AMH and FSH levels, Dr Marshall actually recommended against doing another egg retrieval when we first asked. But when we decided that we wanted to try even though there was a higher chance of failure, she worked with us full force. We are pulling out all the big guns on this one: 4mg Estrace x12 days, then 100mg Clomid x5 days; 150mg Menopur; 300IU Follistim. Will start Ganirelix once follicles are ready, and will have an HCG trigger
It was about $9500 for our initial egg retrieval in 2013 (with a cancer patient discount and meds paid for through another cancer patient fund); in 2015, it was $4850 for PGD; $1k for PGS; $4500 for embryo biopsying and sending samples to the genetics company; it will be $11800 for this next round of egg retrieval, including ICSI (currently doing injections for this); I paid $5184 for my meds this time around. Another $1800 for biopsies to send for PGS and PGD; $3865 for FET, plus the cost of meds.
Seattle
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a fantastic clinic. Everyone on the staff clearly takes the "customer service" part of their job very seriously. The front desk staff, the nurses, the phlebotomists...everyone there is polite and makes you feel comfortable. I've always been seen promptly and the one time I had to wait, I was given snacks, water and magazines. I appreciate their attention to detail and their focus on positive patient experiences.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Definitely like a human. Dr. Shahine is incredibly knowledgeable on all aspects of fertility treatments and I always felt confident in her ability to assess our situation and come up with a proper treatment plan. We've had some bad luck during our infertility journey and Dr. Shahine has been there every step of the way(including calling me personally and letting me talk her ear off for nearly an hour!) to make us feel supported and to provide encouragement to stick with it.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is the best doctor I've ever worked with. She is competent, experienced, honest, compassionate and open minded. We came to her clinic because of male factor issues and after a terrible experience at another fertility clinic that left me hospitalized for 8 days with severe OHSS. After throughly reviewing my history, Dr. Shahine developed a treatment plan that would minimize my risk of hyperstimulating again while still recruiting plenty of eggs. Her plan worked, we had a great retrieval and my discomfort was very minimal. She and her team checked in on me frequently after my retrieval to make sure my recovery was going well. We have not yet had success with any of our frozen transfers, but I only attribute this to us just being on the wrong side of luck so far and I'm confident things will work out soon. Through all of the ups and down, Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility have been attentive, compassionate and encouraging. Dr. Shahine has even called me personally on many occasions to answer my questions and reassure me that we are moving forward in the right direction. She is hopeful, yet honest; frank yet sensitive and I would recommend her to anyone seeking help in their fertility journey.
If things don't work out right away, don't despair, stay the course. The infertility journey is often longer than any of us would hope or imagine but you are in good hands with Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility.
Seattle
Kallie [nurse at Pacific NW Fertility] was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification...We did a freeze all cycle, ICSI, PGS, and then a FET. Total cost for everything including meds was just under $30K...This clinic is run like a well oiled machine-from the scheduling, to the lab draws in the same office, finer desk, back desk, financial coordinator, nurses, doctors-they know what they’re doing and it shows. Excellent communication between everyone on staff to keep visits running seamlessly and minimize the time you spend waiting.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb and Kallie were very personable and made attempts to get know me. I am naturally introverted, but they made it easy to open up about our family planning goals and the goal of having a large family despite starting at age 35
Kallie was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very honest with me about my chances to conceive through IVF. She was up front and suggesting we do a freeze all and multiple IVF cycles to try and get all my embryos now due to our goal of a large family and already being 35. Unfortunately, however, we just didn’t have the finances to do more than one cycle. This was a tough realization and she showed compassion when it brought me to tears that we had to cross our fingers and pray for the best with this one cycle. She gave me the choice to do a natural FET instead of medicated, but also provided full pros/cons of each. I never questioned my treatment protocol with her and after PGS we ended up with 2 healthy embryos. First FET and we got the good news we were pregnant! Although we were really hoping for more embryos, this was actually exactly what Dr. Lamb had predicted for me (hence the earlier recommendation for multiple cycles).
Be direct and go prepared with questions.
I don’t recall
Dr. Lamb and the entire PNW fertility clinic very much advocate for single embryo transfers. They gave me the choice to do 2, but provided a very educated pros/cons of 1 vs 2.
PCOS, Unexplained
The phone scheduling staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood...About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle...Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails...After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The phone scheduling staff is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood
She genuinely cared about how I felt through the process and was honest about the expectations. She shared in our joy and excitement during pregnancy.
Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails. Probably just a personality conflict.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough. When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back.
Choose a doctor that is a good fit for you. Dr Shahine was amazing and I felt truly blessed to have her on my journey.
After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose. We did a low dose medication cycle that my body responded well too and got 16 amazing quality embryos. 1st transfer of 1 embryo resulted in pregnancy. 4 years later we used another frozen embryo from same cycle and were successful.
About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle
It was our decision and she said it was up to us. My husband wasn't on board for twins so we did one
Seattle
The office [Pacific NW Fertility] is well organized, the staff is all really nice, and the finance counselor is great - she helped us navigate through all of the insurance claims. It's nice that the facility is in the hospital, and the office itself is really nice!...My nurse, and the entire team, was absolutely amazing. Emily is so compassionate, so smart and so incredibly organized. She took the time to return my phone calls, even into the evening hours.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The office is well organized, the staff is all really nice, and the finance counselor is great - she helped us navigate through all of the insurance claims. It's nice that the facility is in the hospital, and the office itself is really nice!
I always felt like I was receiving personalized care from not only Dr Shahine, but her entire team as well
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolph)
My nurse, and the entire team, was absolutely amazing. Emily is so compassionate, so smart and so incredibly organized. She took the time to return my phone calls, even into the evening hours. She answered my emails within hours of sending one. She gave me such clear instructions on every step of the way, I never got overwhelmed. Emily was so supportive along this journey - laughing with us when we needed laughter, crying when we needed extra tears, and being extra brave for us, when I needed encouragement.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was always completely open and honest with me and my partner. She welcomed us into her care, and was a huge advocate and supporter of our desire to have a family. She gave us the facts, and prepared us for the road we had ahead of us.
I would tell other patients to trust her plan
The initial recommendation was to go straight to IVf, as I have diminished ovarian reserve and low quality eggs. We knew iui was unlikely to work, and Dr Shahine warned that we would likely get tired and overly stressed from all the failed treatments. Due to insurance, we opted to start IuI, even if it failed, just to move on to IVF. Dr Shahine was supportive of this decision, regardless. I was on femara, and then did 3 rounds of IUIs. 2 were unsuccessful, 1 resulted in a pregnancy, but I miscarried around 5.5 weeks. From there, we began the preparations for ivf. I was on birth control for a couple of weeks, and once we did a suppression check, I moved on to the follositim and mini hcg injections. I responded much better to treatment than anticipated- and when we got to egg retrieval, we had 11 eggs. 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blast. Since my estrogen was high, we did not do a fresh transfer - we froze both. We scheduled the first transfer about a month+ from frozen date. The first transfer went well, and I got a positive beta blood test - but unfortunately, it did not last. We did the second transfer a couple of weeks later, and it has worked! Currently pregnant, in my second trimester.
We were lucky to have insurance - All in, we ended up spending about $10k
Seattle
[Nurse] Danielle was always available to answer my questions, clearly described the process and how to administer injections, and her calendars kept us on track. She was personable, compassionate and friendly. I had excellent interactions with the entire nursing staff....Professional, comfortable, clean, helpful staff. Parking garage. Patient care separated from lab, private rooms to talk about finances with financial counselors.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Shahine took the time to explain all treatments and answer all our questions. We never felt rushed during an appointment. When our first embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test, Dr. Shahine called me to express her disappointment at the failure and belief that we would ultimately get pregnant. She genuinely cares about her patients and helping you create a family. She's gone through IVF, so she is uniquely able to understand how you are feeling, both physically and emotionally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Strengths: Caring, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimistic and positive. Open to alternative therapies to support fertility treatments. Clearly explains procedures and makes you feel at ease. Has used fertility treatments herself, so she understands what you are going through emotionally and physically. Weaknesses: Too positive sometimes.
My advice is the same for all fertility patients, regardless of doctor: Be prepared with questions and don't be afraid to ask the "silly" question. Be your own advocate - you know your body, and if you don't feel like a course of treatment is working, say so. Ask for other options or changes you can make to improve your outcomes.
IVF, egg retrieval: 9 days of mini-HCG and Follistem; added Ganirellex on day 5 FET #1, programmed cycle: Delestrogen every three days (estrogen patches were recommended, but we were trying to save money). Delestrogen dosage decreased after initial check because levels too high. Progesterone-in-oil (ethyl oleate) five days before transfer. Diazapam for embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #2, natural cycle: Tried two natural FET cycles but both were canceled because estrogen levels failed to get high enough and follicles stopped growing. FET #2, programmed cycle: At Dr. Shahine's recommendation, returned to the programmed cycle and used estrogen patches instead of delestrogen injections. Patches resulted in more consistent estrogen levels that rose gradually and within acceptable parameters. Progesterone-in-oil changed to sesame oil base because ethyl oleate base was irritating and causing lumps; sesame oil more comfortable for me. Diazapam for transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #3, programmed cycle: Same medicines and protocol for this transfer. Major change was switching to a prenatal with methylfolate instead of folic acid. Positive pregnancy test.
IVF and one FET: About $16,000 + medications (about $4,000) + genetics screening (about $5,000) FET #2 and #2: About $5,000 + medications (about $2,000)
Since we elected to have all embryos screened through PGS, Dr. Shahine recommended only transferring one embryo at a time. Her rationale was that transferring two screened embryos did not increase the success rate, only the chance of multiples. And she recommended we try to avoid multiples if possible because it's more stressful to both the mother and babies.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The [Pacific NW Fertility - Sea] clinic treats each patient individually, putting everyone on different schedules unique to their cycle. They are located in downtown seattle, which is nice for anyone who works downtown - it makes appointments easy to get to. The staff is friendly. Pacific NW is one of the most expensive clinics in the area though and include certain items into their packages without giving any other option, including ICSI and assisted hatching, which added on an additional $3,000 or so...
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic treats each patient individually, putting everyone on different schedules unique to their cycle. They are located in downtown seattle, which is nice for anyone who works downtown - it makes appointments easy to get to. The staff is friendly. Pacific NW is one of the most expensive clinics in the area though and include certain items into their packages without giving any other option, including ICSI and assisted hatching, which added on an additional $3,000 or so. I would say this is a downside, as if we would have known better, we would not have done ICSI, as we didn't actually need it. You do have a primary Doctor at the clinic, but know that they do not perform IUI's or work that closely with you on clomid cycles, which is normal. There are 3 other Dr's that work at that clinic and help each other out when needed. This means that Dr. Lamb only performed 1/3 actual transfers and sometimes I would have other Dr's doing my ultrasounds during the stim cycle. I wasn't phased by this too much, but I do know that some patients want the same Dr. the entire time.
Dr Lamb was very personable. Although we didn't leave with a take-home baby, we did feel very well taken care of and supported by her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie Flarhety )
Kallie was also extremely amazing. She was personable and dependable. During the IVF process, Kallie would make patients a priority and at times I would get email responses late into the evenings, just to ease my mind. She stayed very professional, while still considerate and amazing all at the same time.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Julie Lamb at first was very professional and clinical. She asked all the right questions and was very thorough in her questions, diagnosis and recommendation of treatment. As time went on and we continued to work with her, her bedside manner became a lot more personable, as any normal relationship would the more time you spend with someone. In our last follow up appointment with Dr. Julie Lamb, after our last failed cycle with her, I was very honest in letting her know I was going to get a 2nd opinion, not because of anything she did or didn't do, but because I needed to make sure I was doing all of my research and advocating for myself. Her response was extremely positive and supportive. I will never forget her words to me which were "I encourage you to do that. All I want for you is a baby and I do not care how that baby comes to you. Please let me know what I can do to help as you move forward." This shows her amazing character as a Dr. and individual.
Give her time. At first she is very clinical, but as she gets to know you and you her, the walls break down a bit. She is amazing, passionate and extremely knowledgeable and caring.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
One of the things I love so much about Pacific Northwest Fertility was how organized the office was. At each appointment, especially early on, you're meeting with the doctor, nurse, financial coordinator, and blood draw. One might think that would take hours, but there is little to no wait time there. They function like a well-oiled machine. If you're in the waiting room waiting for the doctor, they'll go ahead and do your blood draw really quick. If there is a back-up, they'll shift the order of your appointment to make most efficient use of your time. As a person that works during the day, I was extremely appreciative of this aspect of the clinic.
European, East Asian
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb was always kind, she took the time to get to know me and my partner, so it felt like we were talking to a friend with a lot of medical knowledge rather than a doctor that was just doing their job. I always felt like she genuinely cared about the outcome of our treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie Flaherty)
Kallie was so great. She was extremely responsive to use via email or phone anytime we had questions. We had some abnormal bleeding early in the pregnancy and Kallie was on top of getting us in right away and calling to check-in. The nursing staff and Dr. Lamb seem to work seamlessly. The clinic functions like a well-oiled machine.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Julie Lamb from the first appointment was wonderful. She spent more than what I felt was probably our allotted time during our first appointment explaining everything and answering every single one of our questions. My partner and I are different and I wanted scientific answer and she wanted emotional answer and Dr. Lamb adjusted to us both giving each of us what we needed. It always felt like she cared about our outcome, our feelings, and us. We had full trust in her throughout the entire process.
Dr. Lamb makes you feel comfortable right away. I would recommend that they come prepared with questions because Dr. Lamb is fantastic at answering them, which is refreshing compared to my experience with other medical appointments and the feeling of being rushed.
I was the egg donor in our care and we used a sperm bank for fertilization. My partner was the embryo recipient, so we went through the whole cycle with Dr. Lamb. We had only one slight hiccup in that my partner happened to ovulate even on the medications prompting us to delay treatment implantation one month. Dose was adjusted and we tried again. Dr. Lamb was compassionate and explained what occurred throughout.
For the egg retrieval, storage, and embryo transfer, our loan was $22,000. Fertility medication and donor sperm on top of that was around $5,000.
Seattle
Pacific NW Fertility was great! The staff was very professional and organized. It is a busy clinic so trying to get an initial appt. can take a couple weeks...Initial visit was around $250 Total cost of all IVF treatments (ultrasounds, bloodwork, egg retrieval, ICSI fertilization, embryo transfer, post-transfer ultrasounds etc) almost $16,000. Medications from MDR pharmacy (our insurance covered some) was about $2500. Infertility sucks and it is a scary process but Dr Shahine makes it as easy as possible and you are in great hands with her.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr Shahine and her staff were accessible to answer all my questions and took time to make sure we were comfortable with every step of the IVF process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle )
Danielle was amazing! She was our main contact before, during and after our IVF journey. She was easy to get ahold of and would always get back to me promptly. She was a great source of information and encouragement.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine was the best and made going through the IVF process as easy and stress free as possible. She spent time going over each step in detail and explaining why things wet done and any risks and benefits involved. She was able to answer all of our questions effectively and in terms we could understand. She was compassionate and encouraging but also gave us realistic expectations.
Started B/C pills and took them for about three weeks. Had a baseline ultrasound and blood work done. My injectable drugs to start were Follistim and HCG. After a couple ultrasound and blood work monitoring appointments, Ganirelix was added. I used injectable progesterone and estrogen patches. We had 18 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI, 3 that made it to 5-day blastocysts. We transferred two embryos and have one frozen. We got pregnant with one baby, had a great pregnancy and he was born healthy 9 months later!
Seattle
I liked this clinic [Pacific Northwest Fertility]. It is clean and comfortable, with highly professional staff from the receptionists to the phlebotomists to the sonographers to the financial advisors. In all of the many months (more than a year) that I was a patient of PNWF, my only disappointment with the care there was when I had a miscarriage and brought in the products of conception for testing; I'd called ahead but when I arrived the staff at the front desk was apparently unaware of why I was there and I had to wait in the waiting room, distraught, with my bag containing the specimen jar with the products of conception. While that could have been handled with much more compassion, it was definitely inadvertent.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I liked this clinic. It is clean and comfortable, with highly professional staff from the receptionists to the phlebotomists to the sonographers to the financial advisors. In all of the many months (more than a year) that I was a patient of PNWF, my only disappointment with the care there was when I had a miscarriage and brought in the products of conception for testing; I'd called ahead but when I arrived the staff at the front desk was apparently unaware of why I was there and I had to wait in the waiting room, distraught, with my bag containing the specimen jar with the products of conception. While that could have been handled with much more compassion, it was definitely inadvertent.
Dr. Shahine always allowed us as much time as we needed with her to ask as many questions as we might have about the process, the likely outcomes, and anything else on our minds. And when our first transfer failed, she was the one who called to tell us directly and to answer any questions we had. After our son's birth we sent a birth announcement and she called and emailed to congratulate us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Call)
Our care coordinator was Danielle Call. I really hit it off with Danielle and felt like I was in completely capable hands with her. She was so kind, caring, and patient. She walked me through every step of stimming and triggering (even in my second cycle) like I was the only patient she needed to see. She called me during my third trimester just to see how I was doing with the pregnancy. I hugged her when we had our final appointment when I "graduated" from PNWF to prenatal care.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I had a million questions for Dr. Shahine, and she was wonderfully patient with us. I was learning as much as I could from her but also from internet support groups; I was bringing that information back to her. Unsurprisingly the information I was getting from the support groups was not inaccurate but not necessarily applicable to me or otherwise was not the course that Dr. Shahine recommended for me; each time she was incredibly patient in explaining to us her view on the given approach or procedure while remaining open to our choices. As a result we felt like we were getting a carefully thought out practical approach that reflected the best of what's available in this industry for our particular situation. She also showed us so much compassion throughout the rollercoaster that is infertility and repeat pregnancy loss, both in our lows but also in our highs.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you are worried your questions aren't relevant. She will be patient and thoughtful and not rush you.
We sought Dr. Shahine due to her specialization in recurring pregnancy loss. We first completed RPL genetic testing to try to identify a specific cause. The screening did not indicate a specific reason for the losses, supporting the conclusion (and Dr. Shahine's suspicion) that the recurrent losses were due to chromosomal abnormalities. We followed an antagonist protocol (suppressed using birth control pills, followed by stimming with Folistim and mini-HCG, followed by Ganirelix). In the first round of IVF we retrieved 15 eggs; 11 were mature and 10 fertilized. Fertilization was done using ICSI (required because we were doing PGS testing). Of those 10 embryos, 6 made it to 5-day blastocyst, were biopsied for PGS testing and then frozen. Only one of those was found to be chromosomally "normal." A frozen transfer was necessary because of the timing of PGS results from the third party lab. Because I am sensitive to medication and prefer to minimize it, Dr. Shahine offered (and we opted for) a natural FET (birth control pills and progesterone were the only medications). We transferred the one "normal" embryo but had a negative pregnancy test. With no additional "normal" embryos, we decided to do a second IVF cycle. Because we obtained the results were were looking for in terms of retrieval in the first cycle, Dr. Shahine recommended the same protocol for the next cycle. We retrieved 17 eggs; 15 were mature, 8 fertilized, and 6 made it to blastocyst (5 on day 5 and one on day 6). Of those, 2 were chromosomally "normal." We transferred a single "normal" embryo, which led to a successful pregnancy (singleton birth). We had the option to know the sex before transfer but opted to wait until after we had a positive pregnancy test.
We were lucky to have insurance cover a large portion of our costs (approx. $30K was covered by insurance) and we were out of pocket maybe $10K in total (for meds, two retrievals, PGS testing of 12 blastocysts, and two transfers).
2011 - 2013
11 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
All of the drs [at Pacific NW Fertility - Sea] are great. They have some of the best embryologists. Some insurances won't cover them. Location / parking is a bit of a pain...They explained the facts, were kind and compassionate and got us in when we needed to be...[Nurses are...] Compassionate, thorough, flexible on how they communicated (phone vs. email. Email was easier given my job)...
2011 - 2013
11 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
All of the drs are great. They have some of the best embryologists. Some insurances won't cover them. Location / parking is a bit of a pain.
Dr. Shahine asked asked about my physical, emotional and mental health. She suggested add'l support. She asked how things were going with my marriage. She answered all of my questions (and I had a lot of them). she called me at home on Sat, the day we received a negative pregnancy test after our 4th (and final) IVF when I was crushed. It was not her normal day to work. She emailed me when we had a positive pregnant test. And she dealt with all of the complications we had directly and professionally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was thoughtful and honest. The most professional, evidence based fertility clinic in the PNW. We had a long process and every step of the way PNWF took care of us. Even when we had some horrible news and had to make tough decisions. They explained the facts, were kind and compassionate and got us in when we needed to be. All of the physicians and ARNPs are wonderful but we are particular fans of Dr. Shahine. She is Stanford trained, wickedly smart and direct, yet she considers the couple and what they need. She also thinks about the whole person and what a toll infertility treatment can take on the person and the couple. We cannot speak highly enough of PNWF.
Tell her where you are physically, mentally and emotionally and be really honest about your concerns / fears. She knows her stuff.
IUI was with letrozole. The last one (Where I got pregnant w/ my twins) was injectables + a trigger. It was a while ago so I don't remember the IVF protocols. One used lupin and it was my worst response.
Other, Unexplained
This clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] is timely and flexible on their schedules. You can see other doctors and I like how they meet daily to consult on all patients to discuss as a group on your care. It helps keep things consistent and if they are out of the office, someone can pick up where they left off. They operate very seamlessly.... I was able to make early monitoring appointments. It was helpful to not conflict with my work schedule.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic is timely and flexible on their schedules. You can see other doctors and I like how they meet daily to consult on all patients to discuss as a group on your care. It helps keep things consistent and if they are out of the office, someone can pick up where they left off. They operate very seamlessly.
She is very compassionate and is humble. She will refer to other doctors to ensure you are receiving the best care.
She is very well organized and is responsive to all questions, especially when I have a million questions!
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is great, although a couple of times I felt rushed out of the appointment or that she didn't want to treat me any longer due to my recurrent issue. I could have been me feeling that but all other times she was really great.
If something doesn't work the first time, push to find a new protocol. Take notes as over time you may be repeating a protocol and something my be missing that is a big piece of your puzzle.
I had an issue with thin lining and she referred with another doctor to add a medication to help. It appear to be helpful such as adding trental to my protocol for a month. It did help get my lining thicker for a transfer.
Fortunately most of the costs were covered by insurance except for genetic testing which were $2500 and miscellaneous costs that was not covered by insurance approximately around $1000 overall.
Seattle
[The nurses at Pacific NW Fertility were] Very response when I called with questions...Takes a long time for the initial appointment, but once you're in then getting seen is a breeze. If you are having issues TTC and think you will need to see a fertility doctor, get the appointment on the books...because it will take 2-3 months to get the initial appointment)... He [Dr. Swelstad] was very patient and listened to all my questions (and answered them).
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Takes a long time for the initial appointment, but once you're in then getting seen is a breeze. If you are having issues TTC and think you will need to see a fertility doctor, get the appointment on the books (under 35 so they say wait a year - I'd call before a year because it will take 2-3 months to get the initial appointment).
MY ob had previously done my fertility workup so I showed up with a big binder of test results and 19 months of cycle charts. He was very patient and listened to all my questions (and answered them).
Very response when I called with questions.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
You go into your first appointment feeling crazy emotional and he had the right amount of empathy coupled with data that made me hopeful. He gave us a plan (both short term and long term) and we left feeling like there could be a light at the end of the tunnel (or at least we could affirmatively do something instead of just having unexplained fertility and doing the same thing every month).
I did my homework before I met with Dr. Swelstad and I think it made our first appointment much more productive because I was able to ask more detailed specific questions instead of having to cover the basics of fertility. If you're going to spend the time and money with a specialist, you might as well get your moneys worth and use his vast knowledge.
PCOS, Unexplained
Beautiful clinic. Everyone there was very friendly and nice from the front desk to the ma and nurse to the dr and the phlebotomist. I also Love that the lab is in the clinic....pnwf does there best to help from billing what they can to insurance to helping you go through a fertility pharmacy so you can get your medicine at a better cost... Amber is amazing. She always calls me back in a timely matter and always emails me or responds to my emails in a timely matter!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Beautiful clinic. Everyone there was very friendly and nice from the front desk to the ma and nurse to the dr and the phlebotomist. I also Love that the lab is in the clinic. I wish I lived closer so I could always just go to that clinic and not have to go to a separate dr where I live for iui and ultrasounds
My husband and I both really like dr swelstad! He was very nice and professional yet caring and we talked and figured out a plan for us within our means.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amber)
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr swelstad was very nice and easy to talk to. He explained a lot to us and figured out a treatment plan that we both thought was great. We are happy to be working with him. He seemed very caring and not just as another patient but like he really cares about his patients. It was nice because we were so nervous.
Just relax you are in good hands he is very nice and easy to talk to!
My husband and I had done 6 rounds of clomid and two rounds with iui. Nothing had worked. So dr swelstad switched me to femara with injections of follistim and trigger shot with iui and progesterone
Everything is spendy with infertility it doesn’t matter where you go. I wish there was insurance here to help with infertility but pnwf does there best to help from billing what they can to insurance to helping you go through a fertility pharmacy so you can get your medicine at a better cost
Seattle
So far I think it's a great spot, I just wish they [Pacific NW] accepted my insurance (Bridgespan) but I think that's partly a ACA issue. I've felt very comfortable and well taken care of so far. Even my first experience with a blood draw was very pleasant with a friendly and knowledgeable phlebotomist...I was told they'd call me with my blood results but I ended up calling them a couple days after and they had the results ready...They were great, communicated all the information I needed and were very approachable.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
So far I think it's a great spot, I just wish they accepted my insurance (Bridgespan) but I think that's partly a ACA issue. I've felt very comfortable and well taken care of so far. Even my first experience with a blood draw was very pleasant with a friendly and knowledgeable phlebotomist.
Met in both an exam room and a regular office, that made me feel more like human than just a body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika)
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It's great so far. Honestly, I'm just getting started after seeing my regular OB-GYN for about a year before seeking additional expertise. My first visit was great, I felt like we had a gameplan and well taken care of. UPDATE: The gameplan played out exactly as she predicted, after one failed cycle (I ovulated, but did not get a positive pregnancy test), I got pregnant on the second cycle and am currently 16 weeks along and everything looks good so far (hoping I didn't jinx it by counting it as "1 live birth" on a previous question).
Come prepared with lots of information.
Started taking metformin (500 mg/day for first week, then bumped up to 1000 mg) Taking 5mg of Letrazole on days 3-7 (I was already doing this with previous OB) Ultrasound on day 13 with injection of 10,000 USP units/vial to induce ovulation
$295 for office visit/comprehensive exam $185 for pelvic ultrasound $135 for pregnyl shot through MRD pharmacy
not applicable as of now
IUI, 1 IVF
emily [at Pacific NW Fertility] was/is incredible. she handled all of my medication scheduling, which can get complicated with a busy work schedule. she was responsive to emails, knowledgable about all the steps of treatment, and professional...strengths: good candy at counter, professional and friendly front desk staff and lab techs. huge bonus was primarily female staff. weaknesses: paid parking. hardly a weakness worth mentioning....i believe the total cost of care ended up around 29k.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
during my initial consultation, dr lamb took 45mins-1hr to sit and talk with me. we discussed my concerns over being unable to conceive in detail. she displayed a high level of empathy, and i felt she intently listened and responded with specifics. i appreciated that she didn't give me unreasonable expectations, but left me feeling hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: emily rudolf)
emily was/is incredible. she handled all of my medication scheduling, which can get complicated with a busy work schedule. she was responsive to emails, knowledgable about all the steps of treatment, and professional.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
dr lamb was a pleasure to work with. she communicated clearly in terms i understood. she was gentle, and i felt like she understood the emotional stress i was experiencing. i had easy access to her, and tho visits were frequent, i never felt like my time was being wasted.
expect her to be direct but gentle, and leave you with reasonable expectations about treatment.
i believe the total cost of care ended up around 29k. huge bonus was putting it on amex and getting pointsssssssss.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Strengths- good staff, professional, good results and efficiency Weaknesses- the billing office [Pacific NW Fertility - Seattle] has been very helpful working with us but if you are using insurance at all Beware... it is very time consuming and tedious to get the payments applied.... We worked with two nurses that were assigned to Dr. Lamb and liked them both. Nurse Schilling is an incredible nurse practitioner who also worked with us.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths- good staff, professional, good results and efficiency Weaknesses- the billing office has been very helpful working with us but if you are using insurance at all Beware... it is very time consuming and tedious to get the payments applied.
Dr. Lamb was very patient with us and answered many questions. She was also humorous and personable. She always stayed positive and offered many smiles when we needed them.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is very professional and nice to work with plus she is incredibly talented with fertility issues and treatments. I’m so glad our family found her- we are now seven weeks away from a baby girl thanks to Dr. Lamb!
Don’t be afraid to ask her all of your questions.
We worked on egg retrievals for three years before implanting because of my age (37-39) and diminished reserves. We were able to get enough eggs for a successful transfer and freezing and have three left to try for a second child.
We used two insurance companies and only paid the remainder which was around $400 for drugs after two cycles and $1500 Per cycle. I think it would have been $20-30k Per cycle without insurance.
My doctor recommended we try two - which we did- one was viable.
Seattle
The organization of the office [Pacific NW Fertility] from appointments, blood work, and the process worked very well. There was never a long wait. It happened once and they acknowledge it but offering Starbucks gift cards and why there was a wait.... They had monitor hours and the process was very easy and quick. I was able to get in and out before work.... Annie was fantastic. She was very compassionate when having to deliver bad news. When she was off, it was very clear on the difference in care I received from other nurses.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The organization of the office from appointments, blood work, and the process worked very well. There was never a long wait. It happened once and they acknowledge it but offering Starbucks gift cards and why there was a wait.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Hickok at Pacific NW Fertility?
He has a good bed side manner and was very gentle and explaining the process as this was my first time for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Annie Terry)
How was your experience with Lee Hickok at Pacific NW Fertility?
While I was going to egg retrieval stimulation, he never told me I had thin lining. I had no idea this was an issue until we started the transfer process which as a patient I was not aware how this piece was important to the process. He did not fully inform us that it would likely no work, he acted like you can "roll the dice" and see what happens. I feel it was a waste of one of our 3 PGS embryos. We had sent in 6 but 3 were abnormal.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Hickok at Pacific NW Fertility?
He's retired now but I think all clinics should require either an orientation or resources so that patients fully understand the process.
Describe the protocols Lee Hickok used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Birth control before starting stims. Ganirelex and Lupron, for stims.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Hickok at Pacific NW Fertility.
I don't recall as insurance cover most of it outside of genetic testing which was Genesis for $2,500.
Describe Lee Hickok's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
They indicated that the embryos were PGS tested so only SET.
Lee Hickok
Seattle
This clinic [Pacific NW Fertility - Sea] has amazing hours! It is clean and the staff is very friendly....I had two different nurses communicate with me during my time with Lora. Each were prompt in their replies to my emails and were great at answering any questions hat I had....Lora [Shahine] was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic has amazing hours! It is clean and the staff is very friendly.
Lora was always so great with both my husband and I. Was in constant contact, never made us feel like we were asking silly questions, and always made us feel like we were a priority to her. Lora still keeps in contact even though I moved to the other side of the state.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I unfortunately do not remember )
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office. When our IUI didn't work, Lora explained the possibilities as to why it may not have worked and took her time in explaining what future course of actions we could choose from.
Trust her and listen to all she has to say.
I used letrozol to help regulate my period which worked wonderfully. My husband stored his sperm as he travels for work and we did an IUI. Before the IUI I received a trigger shot to help trigger ovulation and did an ultrasound to see where I was at in my cycle. The IUI unfortunately didn't work but we continued with letrozol and ended up getting pregnant naturally.
I am not 100% sure but I want to say around 1000-1500
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Everyone I encountered at PNW Fertility was kind, encouraging and knowledgeable. We always felt well taken care of. They go out of there way to make numerous required visits as easy as possible...The nursing staff was great, particularly our IVF coordinator who was awesome and really on top of my treatment.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb and her staff were always kind and generous with their time. I always felt well taken care of and that they were truly invested in my treatment.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
I could not have asked for more as a patient of Dr. Lamb. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of our questions and concerns. She was optimistic, but also very clear about chances of success and obstacles we may face.
Don't be afraid to ask questions about your treatment or to express concerns. I am one of those people that needs to know what the next steps will be regardless of outcome. Dr. Lamb was very patient in addressing my need to discuss various options and outcomes.
I started treatment at 39 and was diagnosed with endometriosis causing blocked tubes. I also was thought to have slightly diminished egg quality. Dr. Lamb recommended laparoscopic surgery prior to proceeding with an embryo transfer. She also recommended that we complete PGD testing. We took both of those steps, which I believe were critical. We completed two rounds of IVF resulting in only one normal embryo. That embryo resulted in pregnancy.
Julie Lamb
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Everyone at PNWF in Seattle were so kind toward every patient. They didn’t make you feel like just another nobody, they all seemed genuine and sweet and very helpful. If I ever needed a last minute appointment they would not hesitate to get me in to be seen.... My nurse Kallie was available to always answer my question and she was very thorough and never made me feel like I was bugging her. She was always super sweet.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb is an amazing doctor and was really thorough and listened to me and my concerns. I never felt like she was in a rush and I felt she was always so compassionate and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie flaherty)
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is a mother herself who complately understands her patients desire to become parents. She was always very straight forward and thorough. She has a great team working for her and I would highly recommend her to any family or friends.
I would tell them that she is very straight forward in a caring and compassionate way. She is very sweet and relates to her patients as humans and their desire to become a mom and dad.
She had to up my medication dosage a few different times to get my follicles to grow and be where she wanted them to be at the right time. I took Lupron, follistim, birth control, menopur, as well as the patches.
Ivf with Dr. Lamb was $16,000 but after all the testing and medication I spent closer to $30,000.
Dr. Lamb preferred a single embryo transfer for me, before we found out I only had one PGS normal embryo to transfer anyway. She prefers a healthy Singleton pregnancy over a high risk twin pregnancy. I respected her decision of what was best for me.
Seattle
The doctors and nursing staff (medical assistants, front desk staff and phlebotomy included) are all fantastic. It's evident that the staff communicates well with one another (internal patient processes are clear and streamlined) and they are always kind, helpful and knowledgeable in their interactions with patients. I did run into challenges with the PNWF billing specialists (duplicate charges, improper billing to insurance, etc.) - but I was always able to resolve these issues.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Shahine is incredibly inclusive, never treats you like a number and truly acts as a partner in your care. She makes it a point to explain every procedure, lab test and result with great care and compassion.
Danielle was my primary care coordinator/RN and she was fantastic in this role. She is extremely knowledgeable, kind, approachable and organized. No question was a "dumb" question and she treated each hurdle in my IVF journey, sensitively and with compassion.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is one of the most trustworthy, kind, caring and intelligent doctors my husband and I have ever known. She truly cares about you and understands the gravity and complexity of undergoing fertility treatment, not to mention the emotional toll it can take.
It's okay to be emotionally vulnerable. Dr. Shahine will not judge you and is there to support you through this journey.
Gonal F Pen Progesterone in Oil 100mg/mL
2010 - 2017
5 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Although the financial counselor [at Pacific NW Fertility] is helpful I still find the payment process stressful and confusing. I also feel like I was not always given all the pricing info I needed and was not offered discounts for multiple IVF cycles that I should've been. The coordination between the clinic and the genetics testing is not 100% either. I had a miscarriage and my collected tissue wasn't sent in time so the genetics lab was not able to properly evaluate the embryo.
2010 - 2017
5 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Although the financial counselor is helpful I still find the payment process stressful and confusing. I also feel like I was not always given all the pricing info I needed and was not offered discounts for multiple IVF cycles that I should've been. The coordination between the clinic and the genetics testing is not 100% either. I had a miscarriage and my collected tissue wasn't sent in time so the genetics lab was not able to properly evaluate the embryo.
She cares about me and is sad when we are sad and happy when we are happy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie Fleharty )
There are definitely people on staff that are better than others but I have a special bond with Kallie and she goes out of her way to help me.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
She's excellent. Her staff is excellent. She always explains everything and entertains all questions no matter how small or trivial. She has personally called me just to check in especially after bad news.
Nothing. She's excellent.
I'm not sure I can answer this well. We started down this path because of my husband's sperm count issues. It's been a long road of 8 years. We went IVF route to try and speed up the process but as I get older it gets harder.
$25,000 per IVF cycle. That's $15k for doctor/clinic, $5k for meds and $5k for genetic testing.
I don't have any comments. Just lots of questions.
2011 - 2015
The location [of Pacific NW Fertility] is either convenient or not for you. You either have to pay for the parking garage or find street parking. The view from their office is great and something I enjoyed every visit. As they have become busier there is a longer wait for appointments.... Our initial IVF cycle was 6 years ago and cost just under $20,000 out of pocket. Each frozen embryo transfer was around $5,000. All the costs were made clear up front.
2011 - 2015
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The location is either convenient or not for you. You either have to pay for the parking garage or find street parking. The view from their office is great and something I enjoyed every visit. As they have become busier there is a longer wait for appointments.
He remembered us and spoke to you like a friend
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Renee Lanzolla)
I loved that I was able to email and usually get a response the same day and if not I would receive an out of office response. Any changes in the treatment plan resulted in a revised calendar being sent.
How was your experience with Lee Hickok at Pacific NW Fertility?
He did a great job of explaining all the risks and chances for success and failure. He always seemed to be in a good mood and I got the impression that all the staff enjoyed working with him. The whole office worked like a well oiled machine but still felt personable.
The same advice I would give anyone undergoing fertility treatment, educate yourself so you know what questions to ask and so you know what to expect.
He let us know the chances for multiples and made sure we understood the risks for transferring multiple embryos.
Lee Hickok
2010
My doctor [at Pacific NW Fertility] went out on medical leave. Nobody called to let me know this. I left messages and emails and didn't finally get a response until two weeks later. Testing was never ordered, not even basic blood tests...I do not remember the cost. I do know it was cheaper than other clinics....I was assigned another doctor, but was transferred to Dr. Shahine when he was out. I felt like she was very rushed and could care less about my care.
2010
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It looks nice from the outside.
The nurses seemed to thaw the sperm vials way too long before the actual procedure. They also wanted to do an IUI exactly 24 hours after trigger even though not every patient ovulates then.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was not the doctor assigned to me. During my second IUI attempt she flat out said she didn't know what to do with me and asked if I had considered egg donors. She had not done any testing on me to find out if this was something I should consider. Needless to say it scared me very much. I left the clinic, had testing done at another clinic, learned I had a thyroid imbalance which was easily corrected and got pregnant immediately after.
Be careful and get a second opinion. From what I have heard she treats her own patients a lot better.
femara + IUI.
I do not remember the cost. I do know it was cheaper than other clinics.
Seattle
[Pacific NW Fertility has] Nice offices. Seems to be confusion at times with he billing office. Charged different amounts for the same service, or received bill for items I’d already paid at time of service. I wish I had been assigned particular people to work with rather than whoever was available...Saw so many different [nurses]. And her assistant kept changing...$330 per IUI. Ultrasounds and doctor visits cheaper.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I only saw her 3 times in a year so wasn’t able to develop much of a relationship.
Saw so many different ones. And her assistant kept changing.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Very nice and very informative. I wish I could have seen her more often and felt like she was really working to try to make things happen for me. I didn’t feel like she remembered me whenever I saw her.
Ask a lot of questions. She is thorough with her answers.
Started with no meds and IUI, then moved to letrozole for 3 cycles, then moved to letrozole and follistim, all with IUIs. No positive results. Discussed embryo donation, egg donation, and ivf and pros and cons with each.
$330 per IUI. Ultrasounds and doctor visits cheaper.
2012 - 2016
Great hours, responsive and very friendly... We had a wonderful experience with Dr. Lamb. This was a really difficult time in my life and I felt supported and respected. They walked us through each step so the process wasn't daunting at all. Dr. Lamb is caring and responsive and she has a great team. Our experience was truly wonderful and we have a beautiful little girl and another baby on the way thanks to our team at PNWF.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Great hours, responsive and very friendly.
I felt Dr. Lamb really got to know me. It felt like visiting a friend who happened to know how to help me conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nina and then Kallie )
Wonderful. Provided directions, calendars and was available by email or phone.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
iui with both the procedure and sperm collection/spin were about $500. Our IVF total after insurance was about $12,000. Our frozen embryo transfer after insurance was about $300.
2012
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
The nurse I was assigned to [at Pacific NW Fertility] , while very nice and compassionate, tended to be a bit rushed and scattered at times....In our initial consultation with the clinic, they advised I would qualify for the 'two cycle' plan....In March that we were told that I didn't qualify due to my FSH & AMH levels being too high. We were extremely disappointed that this wasn't communicated earlier in the process and made a point to challenge the decision and speak with the clinic manager. They listened to our complaint, but I'm not sure that anything was done to fix the gap in their process.
2012
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Lamb was quite personable, as was her nursing staff. The nurse I was assigned to, while very nice and compassionate, tended to be a bit rushed and scattered at times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Cripe)
I remember it being somewhat chaotic - getting information or answers to me last minute or only after a few requests.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Lamb was friendly, but I think that she was overly optimistic in her diagnosis. Lots of unknowns along the fertility journey, but I think she could have been a bit more realistic.
Research two or three clinics before making a decision and spend time briefly interviewing each doctor before deciding which clinic to use.
I was 37 and took 75iu Menopur & 300iu Follistim. I had 11 (or 12?) eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 3 decent embryos on day 3. All three were implanted on day 3, resulted in chemical pregnancy.
Base price of $9,951.30 plus $400 for anesthesia, $2,000 for ICSI, $1,230 for embryo cryopreservation and $600 for blast culture for a total of $14,181.30. Plus medications.
2012 - 2016
Dr. Shahine is the most warm personable Dr. She understands how important and how hard these procedures are. She listens to you and give her honest opinion. I trust her judgements. She helped us getting our miracle baby. She will be 2 next week. I cant show enough gratitute to Dr. Shahine and her clinic.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The staffs are great and easy to communicate with.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She always answers any questions and concerns you have. She will explain risks and options. I love her! She is the best Dr. And I cant say enough good things about her!
Never hesistate to ask questions. She always appreciate your research and understanding.
2012 - 2013
Absolutely amazing. She [Dr Shahine at Pacific Northwest Fertility] is a true professional and clearly knows the science. She is open about what they do and don't know. She's supportive and a great listener. She also knows when to assert things and be direct....>$50,000 (4 IVF cycles and 3 IUIs)
2012 - 2013
Professional Asked about my physical, mental and emotional health Called me at home, checked in via email Always seemed to remember what was going on in my life Encouraged me to do things to take my mind off the cycle
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Absolutely amazing. She is a true professional and clearly knows the science. She is open about what they do and don't know. She's supportive and a great listener. She also knows when to assert things and be direct.
Ask her what you should do and then listen.
>$50,000 (4 IVF cycles and 3 IUIs)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Approx $21,000 for IVf cycle Approx $800 per IUI cycle...She [Dr Shahine] was a very caring, compassionate Doctor. The only downside was that the IVF procedure failed, much to her surprise, with only 4 eggs retrieved...[Pacific NW Fertility] Extremely quick, flexible appointment times.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Extremely quick, flexible appointment times.
Dr Shahine is extremely professional and empathetic. I truly felt she was supportive throughout the process.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She was a very caring, compassionate Doctor. The only downside was that the IVF procedure failed, much to her surprise, with only 4 eggs retrieved.
Ask about all options and understand all potential areas for failure.
Approx $21,000 for IVf cycle Approx $800 per IUI cycle
Endometriosis, Unexplained
No weaknesses [at Pacific NW Fertility], everything in one location is ideal...[Nurse] Kallie was very sweet and compassionate....I felt her approach was very data driven but balanced with a bedside manner that is very compassionate and upbeat. She was also organized and consistent. I previously saw another dr at the u of WA that seemed a bit scattered and didn't inspire confidence.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
No weaknesses, everything in one location is ideal.
Perfect bedside manner for my needs. Supportive and positive, not overly emotional.
Kallie was very sweet and compassionate.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Would recommend her without hesitation.