Bellevue
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

2020, Unknown Success
Investment Banker
Dr. Shahine is a very caring physician. She was always fully present, very engaged, and very kind. I appreciate the time she spent getting to know about our case and making her commentary fit for how we liked to hear it...I do not feel my protocol was incredibly particular to me; it felt it was more a typical routine at this point...
[nurse of Pacific NW Fertility] So patient, so kind, so ready to answer any question at any time...Strengths are it’s all inclusive nature: there’s a financial counselor to answer your questions, an on-site lab and surgery suite, and the amazing team of nurses...Results were 16 eggs, 13 mature eggs, 10 fertilized eggs, 6 blastocysts, only 1.5 normal eggs
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Just be prepared to not always see Dr. Shahine. The clinic practices as a team, so you may need to have an appointment on a day when your dr isn’t in clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Through the care team approach you receive at PNW Fertility, you are given so much personalized attention and support, largely courtesy of the team of nurses. The doctors also are there to answer any question at your appt and ensure you understand.
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I do not feel my protocol was incredibly particular to me; it felt it was more a typical routine at this point. Bcp for about two weeks, followed by Menopur and Follistim, then a Ganirelix trigger shot. Results were 16 eggs, 13 mature eggs, 10 fertilized eggs, 6 blastocysts, only 1.5 normal eggs. Some things the treatment cannot fix.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle, Ketner, Amanda)
The nursing team is the very best part of PNW Fertility. They are AMAZING. So patient, so kind, so ready to answer any question at any time. They’re the best.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths are it’s all inclusive nature: there’s a financial counselor to answer your questions, an on-site lab and surgery suite, and the amazing team of nurses. I really cannot say there’s a negative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
All in, for PGT-A and drugs, approximately $35k
Seattle

Dr Broughton has been very understanding and very caring about our situation and what we have went through. She is finding answers for us. She is very knowledgeable and very educated. I love that she has a very extensive background with the female body. I trust her completely. She takes the time to let me talk and answers al my questions. ...
I love that they have a lab in clinic so if doctor wants to order something while we are there they can get it done ASAP. ... They do there best to help with billing insurance for things that are infertility and not infertility related. ... The nurses are amazing. Amber has mostly been my nurse since I started going to PNWF she has always been amazing at responding to my emails and phone calls. Which I wrote and call a lot because I am from out of town and we travel back and forth.
How was your experience with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
You are in good hands! Trust the process and the journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
When D.r Swelstad left the clinic we were sad we liked him. We got pregnant with our son and lost him at 18weeks. Dr Broughton became our new doctor she is so smart and knowledgeable she was very sweet understanding and determined for us. We appreciate her.
Describe the protocols Darcy Broughton used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Broughton took the time to go through our whole history with us and each round we went through step by step. We did a round with her and she kept track of my body and how it was reacting. She noticed my lining was thick so she suggested we do a sis procedure and sure enough we found a polyp that was keeping my lining so thick. So we did a hysteroscopy and now we are waiting for Aunt Flo to show up so we can start another round of iui with trigger Letrozole and follistim. She also adjusted the meds and amounts daily. We are very hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amber)
The nurses are amazing. Amber has mostly been my nurse since I started going to PNWF she has always been amazing at responding to my emails and phone calls. Which I wrote and call a lot because I am from out of town and we travel back and forth. Amber has been very supportive from the time we first started to when she got to call us and tell us we were pregnant to finding out we lost our son.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I wish they would open a clinic in Yakima or somewhere closer to me! I love that they have a lab in clinic so if doctor wants to order something while we are there they can get it done ASAP. To a new patient I would say you are in good hands. They are amazing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility.
They do there best to help with billing insurance for things that are infertility and not infertility related. My insurance covers nothing with infertility so when we do my hsg or my sis procedure or my hysteroscopy all of those things get covered by insurance because they are not infertility and labs. So every little thing helps!
Seattle

Dr Shahine was always prepared for our meetings. ...Due to DOR, age, family goals, and history of repeat pregnancy loses she gave us timeline of ~6 months to try this intervention if we had the energy for it and then suggested we move onto IVF. IVF would allow us best chance of success and also allow us to test for chromosomal abnormalities to dec risk of repeat miscarriage. ...
Their office [Pacific NW Fertility] can be difficult to find your first time or two to the clinic as signage is poor in the towers so it is tricky if you can't remember what floor to go to and what tower you should be in. ... Primary nurse, Michelle was organized with timelines and calendars of appointments, lab work, etc. ... There office staff is always very professional. All appointments have been on time. The office is always very clean.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine was always prepared for our meetings. What sets her apart from other physicians, is that she engaged both my husband and I in the conversation. This helped her to gauge our individual personalities, emotions, and learning styles in order to know how to best present information to us which often meant in 2 various styles - 1 that worked better for my husband, and one that worked better for me. Dr Shahine quickly read that I needed to process information in an evidence based method. She presented me with the most incredible resource (a book she authored on miscarriage and repeat pregnancy loss) and was able to factually support her decision making process. I have had repeat pregnancy loses and was seen by more provider than I can count. Other providers would dance around my questions regarding miscarriage whereas Dr Shahine was genuinely empathetic but provided me with evidence based research for what things may be linked to miscarriage. This helped my brain process information and felt like I had some control. The control to me was knowledge. I am the person that needs to know the "but why", and she always delivered the answers.
Write down all your questions in advance of your meeting with her. She will notice your list of questions and allow you time to ask every question you have.
Dr Shahine always is very warm in her welcome. She genuinely listens to your concerns and shares in your heartbreak without rushing you or showing signs of being uncomfortable. She allows you to process and talk through your emotions which I believe helped her guide her decision making process with us. When asking to share her reasons in her decision making process she presents pros and cons and always cites examples we have given in relation to our "feelings".
Dr Lora Shahine took over my care after other physicians left the practice thus I was already on a regimented protocol that she agreed with so we did not need to make any adjustments. At that time I was taking Femera on days 3-7 of my cycle, with ultrasound monitoring appointments to ensure the mature eggs where on the side in which my Fallopian tube was not blocked to ensure best change at success, when the follicle measured the correct size I would have a trigger injection with IUI within 36 hours. Due to DOR, age, family goals, and history of repeat pregnancy loses she gave us timeline of ~6 months to try this intervention if we had the energy for it and then suggested we move onto IVF. IVF would allow us best chance of success and also allow us to test for chromosomal abnormalities to dec risk of repeat miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Primary nurse, Michelle was organized with timelines and calendars of appointments, lab work, etc. They recently moved to a model to have a "care team" which they believe allows for improved communication time. I have not been as impressed with others on the care team as they do not seem to be as informed on my particular case and give insufficient answers to my questions (they do not address all questions asked) and often contradict what the primary nurse and MD's plan was which makes it frustrating. I feel most confident when Michelle answers my questions. I also have never met the other care providers so I believe without a face to face meeting they may treat me more as a number vs human
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are open 7 days a week. The first appointment may take a while to get however once you are an established patient it is very easy to make appointments when needed. There office staff is always very professional. All appointments have been on time. The office is always very clean. Their office can be difficult to find your first time or two to the clinic as signage is poor in the towers so it is tricky if you can't remember what floor to go to and what tower you should be in.
My insurance does cover some expenses however many things, especially medications are cash pay only despite insurance saying they cover fertility benefits.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
We have not yet fully discussed this with MD thus can not provide information on this at this time.
Seattle

Dr. Shahine took the time to talk with me one on one. When she did, she praised me for taking charge of my health and also made sure I knew that my miscarriages were not my fault.... Dr. Shahine recommenced a 3D ultrasound to evaluate the shape of my uterus and check for a septum. When the results came back inconclusive she recommended a hysteroscopy to get a direct look and to diagnose/treat any abnormalities that may be causing my recurrent pregnancy loss.
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] is always running on time, they are very friendly, and they have the capability to draw labs, and do ultrasounds and other procedures on site. The rooms are private and not super clinical which is nice.... The nursing staff is very kind. I was very nervous at my first appointment and they took time to comfort me and show me compassion....The clinic was upfront with costs associated with things if you didn’t have insurance coverage and provided cost sheets when requested for hysteroscopy, IVF, IUI, etc.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was so kind throughout the process. My initial meeting with her was great, she quickly coordinated the care that I needed to receive. When she sensed my hesitancy when we were discussing surgery, she assured me she wouldn’t do anything that she didn’t need to to, and that’s she wasn’t a surgical cowboy. This meant a lot to me because I’ve had anxiety regarding recovery time. When my surgery had to be cancelled last minute (day of surgery), she personally called me to discuss why and apologize, and offered to write a letter for work and got me rescheduled ASAP.
I would simply tell them to pick Dr. Shahine.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic is always running on time, they are very friendly, and they have the capability to draw labs, and do ultrasounds and other procedures on site. The rooms are private and not super clinical which is nice.
All of my care was covered under my insurance as pre-conception screening or screening for abnormalities. I did not have any “infertility” related billing. The clinic was upfront with costs associated with things if you didn’t have insurance coverage and provided cost sheets when requested for hysteroscopy, IVF, IUI, etc.
Not applicable

2015 - 2019, Successful
Dr Shahine recommended a single embryo transfer, which we agreed with. We also appreciated her recommendation to do PGS testing on our day 5 embryos to essentially up our odds of success with the single embryo transfer approach...treated me with respect, and I thought very highly of her background, research, and passion about with what she does, as well as her involvement with organizations and individuals outside of the clinic that support infertility.
During our IVF cycle our primary nurse [at Pacific NW Fertility] was very responsive, compassionate, and helpful. I felt very supported, and never hesitated to reach out to ask questions...Monitoring was scheduled when convenient with my schedule during the week. The appts on the weekend are scheduled in time order, which makes it less convenient, but not beyond reason...Costs were given upfront and conveyed very clearly. There were no hidden costs.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
From our initial meeting through our IVF treatments, Dr. Shahine was kind, informative, and compassionate, all traits that my husband and I valued while going through an emotional time in our fertility journey. I felt very listened to, and any concerns or topics I asked about were addressed and discussed with respect and honesty. I liked that we saw her every visit and that she always made time to ask how I was feeling. She coordinated the care that I needed to receive very smoothly.
Ask any question that you may have around any and all parts of your treatment. No question is too big, or too small, and Doctor Shahine was very receptive, open, and honest to any questions we brought forward.
Doctor Shahine consistently checked up with me during my iVF cycle, always making sure to ask how I was feeling. I truly felt listened to and felt like the staff cared for my well being during such an emotional time. I felt like Dr Shahine treated me with respect, and I thought very highly of her background, research, and passion about with what she does, as well as her involvement with organizations and individuals outside of the clinic that support infertility.
My initial protocol involved testing to properly diagnose the reasoning for infertility, including a Hysterosalpingography, Saline sonogram, bloodwork to check such levels as FsH, estradiol, TSH, Anti mullerian hormone level, and progesterone. When my husband and I decided to do IVF, Dr. Shahine set up a FET protocol for my IVF cycle, due to the potential of ovarian overstimulation. This included birth control pills, Ganirelix, Gonal F, minced dose HCG, and Progesterone in Oil injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Call)
During our IVF cycle our primary nurse was very responsive, compassionate, and helpful. I felt very supported, and never hesitated to reach out to ask questions. We are now back at the clinic, and though we now have a team of nurses assigned vs a primary nurse, I still feel the same. The nursing staff I have met thus far is very supportive, & quick to respond to emails.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic is very well run overall. Staff are respectful, kind, attentive, and prompt in returning emails and phone calls. I truly feel like the staff I communicate with knows my name, and I feel very comfortable reaching out with any questions.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Costs were given upfront and conveyed very clearly. There were no hidden costs.
Seattle

After my third miscarriage I searched online for books on recurrent miscarriage. I came across Dr. Shahine's book, "Not Broken". I learned so much from it. Fast forward another year at a clinic across the country where I live, I had gone through a very successful egg retrieval but had two failed transfers. I was defeated...I booked a second opinion consult with her. I am so very thankful I did! She first started our conversation with "I just want to say that I am so sorry you are going through this.". Those simple words meant so much to me and my husband and made us immediately feel like she cared. She showed so much empathy with us. It really stood out to us.
Everytime I called or emailed any of the staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] they were prompt to answer. I was impressed with that. Brittany helped me make sure I got all of my information to them and that I had filled out everything that I needed to...She [Dr. Shahine] recommended trying metformin starting before our next transfer. I am lean PCOS and have never had issues with my blood glucose so I hadn't ever tried it. She cited the study by Dr. Zev Williams suggesting benefits in PCOS with metformin. I have felt incredible since taking it. She also recommended lovenox as an immunmodulator. I did this as well a low dose of 40 mg. So far my pregnancy has been on the right track. So thankful for these suggestions
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine had read through my chart thoroughly before our consult. She was aware of my entire case, and my chart is a thick one. She went over extra details she had questions about and we discussed those. She then made her recommendations based on research and sited those studies. She stressed that we had done nothing to cause our many miscarriages, failed transfers and were doing everything we could. However, she did make two changes and suggestions for our doctor here in town. I can say that I am now pregnant after our third transfer, and I truly feel that it's Dr. Shahine's suggestions made all the difference. I would highly recommend her to anyone. Especially those who have had recurrent miscarriage. We need more providers with the care and compassion that she has!
She is incredibly thoughtful, knows all the current studies, is humble and is just all around an incredible doctor. Highly recommend.
After my third miscarriage I searched online for books on recurrent miscarriage. I came across Dr. Shahine's book, "Not Broken". I learned so much from it. Fast forward another year at a clinic across the country where I live, I had gone through a very successful egg retrieval but had two failed transfers. I was defeated. I had been following Dr. Shahine on instagram for over a year. I booked a second opinion consult with her. I am so very thankful I did! She first started our conversation with "I just want to say that I am so sorry you are going through this.". Those simple words meant so much to me and my husband and made us immediately feel like she cared. She showed so much empathy with us. It really stood out to us.
She recommended trying metformin starting before our next transfer. I am lean PCOS and have never had issues with my blood glucose so I hadn't ever tried it. She cited the study by Dr. Zev Williams suggesting benefits in PCOS with metformin. I have felt incredible since taking it. She also recommended lovenox as an immunmodulator. I did this as well a low dose of 40 mg. So far my pregnancy has been on the right track. So thankful for these suggestions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
I had Jennifer call me to get all of my information before my consult with Dr. Shahine. She was so kind, thorough and paid attention to detail. All of her notes she took were correct for when we had our appointment with Dr. Shahine.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Everytime I called or emailed any of the staff they were prompt to answer. I was impressed with that. Brittany helped me make sure I got all of my information to them and that I had filled out everything that I needed to.
It was a second opinion consult so it was not much. I am thankful for that!
She strongly encouraged us to only transfer one embryo. We took her advice and continued with only one.
Seattle

Julie [Lamb] was smart, capable, and super caring from our very first meeting. She was like a breath of fresh air after a few bad experiences with previous doctors. We just loved her and felt so special and taken care of under her care. ... I am advanced maternal age (38) and we used a sperm donor because my husband has azoospermia, so Julie was very thoughtful and had a clear strategy from the beginning. We didn’t really weigh many options and decided to go with her recommendation, which was to do IVF.
Generally the clinics [Pacific NW Fertility] was super friendly, organized and well-run. We only had a few issues with communication, where the next steps weren’t clear to us, which caused some confusion and stress. They were always quick to make up for it and help us get back in track, though. ... The biggest example was when we found out we had only one viable embryo, but that the other 21 eggs didn’t survive. We were pretty shaken up.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Julie was smart, capable, and super caring from our very first meeting. She was like a breath of fresh air after a few bad experiences with previous doctors. We just loved her and felt so special and taken care of under her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Go for it, no hesitation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Everyone was so thoughtful, caring, sweet, and fun. They felt like caring friends.
Describe the protocols Julie Lamb used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I am advanced maternal age (38) and we used a sperm donor because my husband has azoospermia, so Julie was very thoughtful and had a clear strategy from the beginning. We didn’t really weigh many options and decided to go with her recommendation, which was to do IVF. We did all testing recommended. I even had a hysteroscopy done to make sure everything was clear and healthy. At our retrieval we were thrilled to get 22 eggs, but unfortunately only one healthy embryo. Thank goodness for that miracle embryo that is now a 4.5 mo baby in my belly. We feel truly lucky and appreciative of the direction Julie took with our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Claire )
We had a team under Julie, which was two other nurses who regularly communicated with us. One was fabulous (Claire), while the other was good, but had some issues (Nicole).
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Generally the clinics was super friendly, organized and well-run. We only had a few issues with communication, where the next steps weren’t clear to us, which caused some confusion and stress. They were always quick to make up for it and help us get back in track, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility.
Our insurance didn’t cover any of it and it was very expensive, approx $40,000
Describe Julie Lamb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
We only had the option of a single transfer because we only ended up having one.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
There were a few times when we weren’t sure about next steps and they weren’t explained to us clearly. The biggest example was when we found out we had only one viable embryo, but that the other 21 eggs didn’t survive. We were pretty shaken up. We asked questions and were anxious to continue onto the next step, but our specific nurse (Nicole) was unable to explain it to us in a clear or compassionate manner. We felt very insecure about proceeding with our embryo transfer and felt like we had to really push to continue on with it.

2019, Consult
I have only met with Dr. Shahine for an initial IVF consult. In the time I spent with her I found her to be very kind and compassionate. She was equally concerned about my emotional well being as getting to the end result of having a healthy pregnancy/baby. She was very informative and provided many resources. I felt that she wasn't just trying to get me to do IVF, she wanted to explore other options first and make sure my health was in good shape before moving forward. I appreciate her honesty and care in discussing such sensitive topics.
The clinic's [Pacific NW Fertility] strengths are their warm and kind service. I have always felt so comfortable at what could be a very uncomfortable visit. This clinic is also very efficient and my team has been incredibly responsive with information and any concerns I may have. They have several beautiful locations and are flexible in appointment times and days of availability.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Have an open mind and be ready that IVF isn't the first coarse of action to take.
Dr. Shahine was very compassionate towards my experiences. She spoke to me with kindness and without judgement, acknowledging how much my husband and I have been through. She provided resources to treat my emotional needs as well as my physical needs. Dr. Shahine never left me feeling hopeless.
She currently has me working with a nutritionist who specializes in fertility and PCOS. Additionally she is having me lose weight and continue trying naturally at home until my weight is at a safer space for IVF treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
The nursing staff has always been so kind, warm and welcoming. I have always felt incredibly comfortable at every visit.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic's strengths are their warm and kind service. I have always felt so comfortable at what could be a very uncomfortable visit. This clinic is also very efficient and my team has been incredibly responsive with information and any concerns I may have. They have several beautiful locations and are flexible in appointment times and days of availability.
Just the initial consult was covered by insurance

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
When she quickly realized the proper information was not yet conveyed to us, she took the time to explain what the number meant, drew visuals so the results made more sense. She presented the options and her recommendations. Dr. Marshall answered all of our questions...She gave us the opportunity to ask more follow-up questions and responded in a timely manner. She offered follow-up resources to assist us in processing.
The entire [Pacific NW Fertility] staff was welcoming and warm. Each interaction made you feel as if you truly mattered as an individual. There are many options for appointment times. The appointments were on time and you are not left waiting for hours...Initial Appointment-$386.00 Testing - AMH-$88.00 E2-$85.00 FSH-$80.00 Follicular Monitoring-$190.00 Venipuncture-$26.00 Follow-up Appointment-$196.00
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
We met for a consult and updated testing. When we arrived for the results, she had thought the office had provided us the results and what the results met prior to meeting. When she quickly realized the proper information was not yet conveyed to us, she took the time to explain what the number meant, drew visuals so the results made more sense. She presented the options and her recommendations. Dr. Marshall answered all of our questions. It definitely is not the news you want to get as a patient trying to conceive. She was honest and allowed us the space to show emotions. I appreciated her candid honesty. She gave us the opportunity to ask more follow-up questions and responded in a timely manner. She offered follow-up resources to assist us in processing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is very experienced and has knowledge to share that is truly valuable. Be candid with you concerns . I was very impressed with her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
From the moment we met Dr. Marshall she was warm and friendly. Took the time to explain all of our options, testing, support from the entire team. WE met with 3 different team members that provided us with options, pricing, counseling and overall support. Our situation is very difficult and she gave us the time and space to digest the information and leave the door open.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Consult and testing only
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holly Madsen )
My interactions we limited given a consult only. She provided complete information on transferring my partners vials from the previous fertility clinic in another state.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The entire staff was welcoming and warm. Each interaction made you feel as if you truly mattered as an individual. There are many options for appointment times. The appointments were on time and you are not left waiting for hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
The results were conveyed just not interpreted as to what the results meant prior to the appointment.
Seattle

Overall, it felt like like this doctor [Dr. Broughton] did not care about me as a person. ... This doctor did not treat calls - such as my call reporting my miscarriage - with a sense of urgency. ... She didn’t feel present with regards to my treatment, she didn’t return my calls in a timely manner, my treatment plan was the same month after month. When I wanted to find out a timeline to resume treatment post miscarriage, I only seemed to get calls back re things that could be sold to me.
Communication is the greatest weakness of this clinic [Pacific NW Fertility]. They clinic also charges a premium price for a decidedly not premium patient experience. The doctor came up with one plan and that was the only plan. No revaluing each month, no connecting with me on the plan. Just this is what we are doing. ... The clinic did not send my medical records to my new clinic as requested. When they send them to me, they included inaccurate information re conversations that we had. I kept getting new bills many months after I had moved on to a new clinic. Not certain why their billing is not more streamlined.
How was your experience with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
Overall, it felt like like this doctor did not care about me as a person. She didn’t feel present with regards to my treatment, she didn’t return my calls in a timely manner, my treatment plan was the same month after month. When I wanted to find out a timeline to resume treatment post miscarriage, I only seemed to get calls back re things that could be sold to me.
You will need to advocate strongly for yourself if you don’t feel confident in your treatment plan; I didn’t feel like she was engaged with mine, personally. Set expectations re communication- her perception of an appropriate response time might not align with yours (it certainly did not with mine)
This doctor did not treat calls - such as my call reporting my miscarriage - with a sense of urgency. Doctors that I had never called called me about my miscarriage prior to Dr. Broughton - literally the only doctor I called.
Letrozole. Triggered basically the same time each month though my cycles are variable (and my current doctor does not).
Nurses were OK.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Communication is the greatest weakness of this clinic. They clinic also charges a premium price for a decidedly not premium patient experience. The doctor came up with one plan and that was the only plan. No revaluing each month, no connecting with me on the plan. Just this is what we are doing.
Describe Darcy Broughton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Julie Lamb] took the time to talk to me and really listened. She went out of her way to help me fulfill my dream of being pregnant by Christmas. She also celebrated small wins along the way. And for times when my numbers weren’t great she stayed optimistic yet realistic. She was positive and caring...has a very sunshiny demeanor. She is very intelligent and treated me with respect, taking the time to explain everything. She let me direct things and helped guide decisions that were right for me. She was the perfect blend of candid and caring. She made a scary process almost fun. She even held my hand before each egg retrieval as I went to sleep.
She [nurse at Pacific NW Fertility] was SO ORGANIZED and took a lot of stress out of the process. She also taught me to do injections and made me feel like a pro...I paid about $15000 per round... They work with you financially. You get personal treatment. You feel like a human. The main blood draw person is so good at it too. The front desk people are fast and have it together...First round went better than expected with 8 eggs and 4 embryos but only one passed the genetic screening.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Lamb has a very sunshiny demeanor. She is very intelligent and treated me with respect, taking the time to explain everything. She let me direct things and helped guide decisions that were right for me. She was the perfect blend of candid and caring. She made a scary process almost fun. She even held my hand before each egg retrieval as I went to sleep.
Schedule in advance because she books up fast!
She took the time to talk to me and really listened. She went out of her way to help me fulfill my dream of being pregnant by Christmas. She also celebrated small wins along the way. And for times when my numbers weren’t great she stayed optimistic yet realistic. She was positive and caring.
I ended up with a very low AMH so she said to plan for 3-4 IVF cycles which was more than I had originally anticipated. I wanted to freeze some embryos and some eggs. First round went better than expected with 8 eggs and 4 embryos but only one passed the genetic screening. Next round we kept the same plan and I got one more healthy embryo. We decided to do a couple more rounds for eggs - I was using a friend sperm donor and didn’t know if I would have a husband in the future. I froze 11 eggs. We decided to try a FET for one embryo and if it didn’t work I would do another round of IVF but it worked and I got my Christmas miracle. She even came out to the waiting room to give me a hug when I was there for the blood test to confirm pregnancy.
Danielle was the best nurse I have ever had. She was SO ORGANIZED and took a lot of stress out of the process. She also taught me to do injections and made me feel like a pro. She was so encouraging, caring, and positive. Also smart and knowledgeable. Nursing perfection.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are great. Detail oriented. They work with you financially. You get personal treatment. You feel like a human. The main blood draw person is so good at it too. The front desk people are fast and have it together.
I paid about $15000 per round
I knew I only wanted her to put one in. I had already genetically tested them. She recommended the same so it wasn’t even much of a discussion.
Seattle

I definitely felt like Dr Shahine cared about my treatment and about being completely honest and open about my chances and the possible routes I could take at my age. Though she did push me to consider IUI and IVF ASAP, I opted to go the natural route for awhile (acupuncture and supplements) before deciding to finally try IUI. Dr Shahine did lay out realistic expectations for me.
There's a bit of a cattle-call feeling [at Pacific NW Fertility] with all the women in the clinic coming and going, but I understand that goes with the industry. Everyone is nice and courteous and I was never made to feel less than human, however. Fertility struggles can feel invasive and embarrassing but the clinic does everything right in making you feel at ease.... Michelle (and De Shahine's whole team) was fantastic; she's available by email and took the time to explain many things and answer all my questions. She's also very personable and warm.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
No question is a dumb question! Come prepared with all of your questions and she will answer honestly and realistically, but in a caring way.
Dr Shahine is very warm and creates a feeling of openness and honesty, which I appreciated. She also took the time to get to know me and asked many questions. Her nurses are fantastic as well!
I'm on my first IUI and have used Femara on cycle days 3-7 and then had an HCG trigger shot on day 13. It still remains to be seen if it was successful.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
There's a bit of a cattle-call feeling with all the women in the clinic coming and going, but I understand that goes with the industry. Everyone is nice and courteous and I was never made to feel less than human, however. Fertility struggles can feel invasive and embarrassing but the clinic does everything right in making you feel at ease.
So far probably around $1000
Seattle

Dr. Shahine clearly knows her stuff, and she’s wonderful to speak with about treatment options and everything that goes along with it. That said, as a patient, you primarily speak only with her nurses. She is not accessible to patients and, when dealing with infertility, that can be tough. Other than that, though, this doctor is optimistic, compassionate, intelligent, and definitely knows what she’s doing. Would definitely recommend overall.
The facility [Pacific NW Fertility] is nice, the doctors are smart and competent, the nurses are mostly responsive. It is the only fertility clinic I’ve ever been to, but I trust that they will do their best and provide me with the best possible outcome!... as a patient, you primarily speak only with her [Dr. Shahine's] nurses. She is not accessible to patients and, when dealing with infertility, that can be tough
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Be prepared to ask ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS when you see her because it’s unlikely that you’ll get another chance!
We tried one (failed) medicated IUI, although it turned out that even the trigger shot didn’t work. About to start our first IVF cycle!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The facility is nice, the doctors are smart and competent, the nurses are mostly responsive. It is the only fertility clinic I’ve ever been to, but I trust that they will do their best and provide me with the best possible outcome!
All costs are out of pocket for us, so we’re about the hand over about $23k to the clinic plus $3k for meds.
She will inform you of statistics and her recommendation, but will ultimately let you make your own decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Just that my trigger shot failed for our IUI and that possibility was not discussed prior, monitored during, or discussed after the failed cycle.
Seattle

My first two transfers were eSET. When those failed we asked about transferring two embryos and Dr. Marshall was supportive given our situation and the fact that I was young and healthy...She made sure to answer all our questions and explore all possible options. We was open to thinking outside the box when things were not going as planned.
Overall our experience was incredibly positive. The front desk people were always accommodating and kind. The billing people were easy to work with and the lab was wonderful. Compared to many other clinics my friends have gone to, I definitely feel like PNW is by far the best...[the nurse team] made me feel completely comfortable and taken care of.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is straight forward and easy to understand. She clearly has incredible experience in the fertility world. Any frustrations we had with the process were simply because it can be a frustrating process, not anything related to Dr. Marshall.
Be patient. The process can be slow and involves a lot of waiting. But you are in good hands.
The time that Dr. Marshall spent with us never felt rushed. She made sure to answer all our questions and explore all possible options. We was open to thinking outside the box when things were not going as planned.
My first retrieval resulted in very poor fertilization rates. For my second retrieval we switched to an antagonistic protocol and had amazing results. For my first two transfers we did a typical medicated cycle, both of which failed. For the third transfer we did a "kitchen sink" natural FET. That transfer resulted in my twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brenna and Emily )
Emily & Brenna were amazing. They made me feel completely comfortable and taken care of.
Seattle

Dr. Lamb is simply the best! She’s so compassionate and knowledgeable. We felt like we were in wonderful hands our whole way through the tough process and deeply trusted her plan of care. Highly recommended!! ... Dr. Lamb and her nursing team [PNWF] are amazing! Everyone is so kind and helpful. ... Dr. Lamb encourages transferring one embryo but allowed us to choose to transfer two.
Everything was truly wonderful and we would recommend PNWF again and again. All the providers and staff are so caring and we always felt welcomed. We are still receiving care but feel optimistic that we will have a good outcome. ... Dr. Lamb’s team of nurses were vital to our experience. They were always helpful and responsive and we really enjoyed working with them.
Be patient.
Dr. Lamb and her nursing team are amazing! Everyone is so kind and helpful.
Our first cycle consisted of an egg retrieval and frozen transfer because we wanted to genetically test the embryos. Unfortunately, two frozen transfers of two embryos each time resulted in miscarriages at six and eight weeks. We are now gearing up for a fresh transfer after our second retrieval last week!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
We were lucky to have insurance and spent about $10K after two cycles.
Seattle

Dr Lamb was kind and compassionate, she answered all of our questions. She also addressed the emotional side of infertility in the best way I have ever experienced in a firtility clinic. It was very therapeutic. However, she didn't inform us how the billing for the visit worked, so we kept talk which we otherwise would have limited.... She advised eSET and would only do a 2 embryo transfer is we requested it, but they advised against it.
They [Pacific NW Fertility-Seattle] have multiple locations, they were kind and clean. They seemed culturally competent. We felt welcomed. They were not all sensitive, one MA was asking me about how many kids I had to compare birth stories, which is not what I would expect to be asked in a firtility clinic.... They [the nurses] replied quickly to requests and questions. They could be more personal and warm in their interaction.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Prepare your questions before hand and make sure you understand the financial part of it too.
I felt that the care was personal and my emotional state was acknowledged. I felt heard and respected.
Most of it was communicate to us by the RN and ARNP. We used a higher dose of letrozole during the IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
They replied quickly to requests and questions. They could be more personal and warm in their interaction.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They have multiple locations, they were kind and clean. They seemed culturally competent. We felt welcomed. They were not all sensitive, one MA was asking me about how many kids I had to compare birth stories, which is not what I would expect to be asked in a firtility clinic.
A little higher than average for the area.
Seattle

Dr. Stephanie Rothenberg made us feel comfortable and supported. She is very knowledgable and has a great balance in a warm but also direct approach. Her strength was explaining our options and not pressuring us. We felt discouraged when it came to cost, risks and % of treatment working but this is not her fault. A follow up might have been nice to see how they can support us in decision making.
The only weakness I can think of about this [Pacific NW Fertility] clinic is the costs seem to be slightly above average (after doing some research) but everything else was near perfect. The environment and team is exactly what you would want in an infertility setting...The team that supported me during the HSG team was amazing..
How was your experience with Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
To trust her, she is good. But also maybe to check with other clinics that may be more affordable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
She was warm and considerate and appeared to care about the future of our family. The staff was similar. However, due to financial restraints, we still have not followed through on treatment and we have never heard back from them, not a check-in or anything, which then kind of made me feel like a number.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Rothenberg used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We did an HSG to see if my fallopian tubes are functioning okay. She recommended 3 IUIs and then IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
The team that supported me during the HSG team was amazing, I was so grateful for their support that day. The curse that walked us through procedure details after our first consultation was too upbeat for my liking considering the circumstances of our situation.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The only weakness I can think of about this clinic is the costs seem to be slightly above average (after doing some research) but everything else was near perfect. The environment and team is exactly what you would want in an infertility setting.
Stephanie Rothenberg
Seattle

Dr. Broughton is always warm and friendly at appointments, but she senses if you are feeling worried or upset and is sympathetic.... Since we just have one embryo, Dr. Broughton recommended an ERA test (mock transfer cycle where a biopsy of the uterine lining is done) before we move forward with the actual FET.... Don't expect to see her at every appointment. I was also surprised that she was not the doctor that performed my egg retrieval.
I've been with the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] for about 2 years now (sigh) and have been pleased with the service. I feel like everyone is doing all they can to help you. I've heard this clinic is on the expensive side, but it is convenient to my work... Everyone on the nursing team was friendly and in a way more helpful than the doctors since they are the ones teaching you how to administer meds, scheduling, etc.
How was your experience with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
I began seeing Dr. Broughton after Dr. Swelstad left the clinic (I liked him too and sad that he left). This was during my treatment after failed IUIs and we were ready to start considering IVF as the next step. My first impression was she was very warm and cheerful and seemed genuine. (I've had other doctors that have a robotic/fake friendly personality and this was not the case with Dr. Broughton). Although, I liked Dr. Swelstad (male), I felt I could be more open with Dr. Broughton. I haven't felt pressured to do any of the various treatment options and she always takes time to answer questions. For example, when my husband and I were trying to decide if we wanted to do ICSI vs. traditional IVF, she was clear about the probable outcome but didn't push one way or the other in our case. I am still in treatment with Dr. Broughton (awaiting FET).
Don't expect to see her at every appointment. I was also surprised that she was not the doctor that performed my egg retrieval. I was not bothered by this, but some might. Personally, I thought it was interesting to see what the other doctors at the clinic were like.
I have unexplained infertility so I assume I'm on the standard IVF protocol. During my stim cycle (for egg retrieval), things were moving along on the slower side. About halfway through, she decided to increase Follistim to the highest dosage (450) and I continued stimulation for 14 days (longer than average). I did end up getting 20 eggs, but the process ended with only one embryo suitable for transfer. Dr. Broughton recommended another round of IVF to try for more embryos, and although this I what I would like to do, I cannot afford that option. Since we just have one embryo, Dr. Broughton recommended an ERA test (mock transfer cycle where a biopsy of the uterine lining is done) before we move forward with the actual FET. We are about to begin the ERA cycle in the next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amber and Linda)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
My OB/GYN recommended this clinic, so I didn't do any research before choosing PNWF. Also, since I didn't have a particular doctor I wanted to see, I got in for a first appointment fairly quick. I've been with the clinic for about 2 years now (sigh) and have been pleased with the service. I feel like everyone is doing all they can to help you. I've heard this clinic is on the expensive side, but it is convenient to my work (which is extremely helpful when you have tons of appointments) and I'm happy I decided to go to PNWF.
In my situation, I've had to pay about 95% out of pocket. A small portion of some of the various tests were covered by my insurance. An IUI is about $400, not including meds (I think I spent about $500 per cycle on meds). One cycle of IVF is about 19k and genetic testing on the embryos is about 4k. This does not include medications for the IVF cycle, which were about 6k. The FET is about 5k, with about $500 in medications. Considering all these treatments, plus the various tests, I would say I've easily spent 30k, and I haven't even had a transfer yet.
We only have one embryo so this is not applicable.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Lamb has clear strategies for treatment, and navigates the often emotional roller coaster of fertility treatments with care and support. We have done several IUIs and meet at various intervals with her to discuss next steps. She is always encouraging and positive, helping keep our spirits up while being clear about the areas for growth. We feel so lucky to have met her and the whole PNWF team!
We have loved PNWF and have had a great experience. From the front desk staff, to the nurses and doctors, everyone is supportive and on top of all the details. It can be hard to get in as a new patient, so I recommend getting on the waitlist if you’re wanting to be seen sooner than 3 months out.... I cannot day enough positive things about working with Michelle! She is detailed, kind, supportive, and goes above and beyond to support her patients. She is a powerful support for Team Lamb!
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
It can be hard to get an appointment, as she books several months out- get on the waitlist and you may get squeezed in earlier!
Dr. Lamb is personable, kind, knowledgeable, and tailors her approach to each patient. She is warm and clear, giving encouragement and support in a data-driven, personable way.
We have done 5 IUIs, resulting in 1 biochemical pregnancy, one ectopic pregnancy, and three negative pregnancy tests. Each cycle was unique and different, varying the doses of Letrazole tablets or Folustim injections, and combined with a trigger shot to find the perfect combination.
$3500 for 5 IUIs plus medication
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
With a nursing switchover, some information was lost in transition.

2019, Consult
She [Dr. Shahine] is happy to talk through any questions or concerns you may have...She took the time to get to know us--why we moved to Seattle, what we do for work, etc. She was approachable, friendly, and authentic. Also, when we saw her at the Footsteps for Fertility 5K the next day, she ran over and gave us big hugs. It's clear she truly cares about her patients... During our consultation appointment, we felt as though she met us where we were, explained our options thoroughly, and gave us hope that IVF could work for us. She exceeded all expectations, and we're looking forward to starting this process with her.
They [Pacific NW Fertility] are organized, friendly, and professional. I will say that I haven't had a ton of appointments yet, so I don't have much to critique. My only interactions that haven't been totally positive have been with some front desk staff that seemed a little confused, but I mostly think it's because I've interfaced with some new folks...She [nurse] was very real with me about my previous AMH score and diagnosis. She let me know that they needed to test to see whether IVF would be the right path for me, because some with DOR won't get good results. Given my new AMH (it went up by quite a bit), the other blood tests, and my ultrasound, I received positive encouragement. But I believe the nurse and doctor would have directed me to another path if they thought I wasn't a good candidate for IVF.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
We're just starting to work with Dr. Shahine. During our consultation appointment, we felt as though she met us where we were, explained our options thoroughly, and gave us hope that IVF could work for us. She exceeded all expectations, and we're looking forward to starting this process with her.
Come with questions. She is happy to talk through any questions or concerns you may have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea Reed)
She was very real with me about my previous AMH score and diagnosis. She let me know that they needed to test to see whether IVF would be the right path for me, because some with DOR won't get good results. Given my new AMH (it went up by quite a bit), the other blood tests, and my ultrasound, I received positive encouragement. But I believe the nurse and doctor would have directed me to another path if they thought I wasn't a good candidate for IVF.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are organized, friendly, and professional. I will say that I haven't had a ton of appointments yet, so I don't have much to critique. My only interactions that haven't been totally positive have been with some front desk staff that seemed a little confused, but I mostly think it's because I've interfaced with some new folks.
We are just getting started. I will say that I was impressed that some of the tests were covered by insurance. I thought all fertility work was not covered, but they were able to keep our costs down for testing. However, I know we're about to spend a huge chunk of change on our first round of IVF. Dr. Shahine gave us options to apply for grants, but other than that, we're going to be stuck with a very significant bill.
Seattle

She [Dr. Marshall] is clear in explaining her process, but there is little room for a patient to work with her on your plan of care. She is also quite defensive when questions are asked, as if she is offended. Overall, I felt pretty disheartened by our meeting together. ... She has obviously been working in the field for a long time. Our consultation was clear and direct, but when I ask any clarifying questions she appeared defensive, like it wasn't my job to speak up and ask questions.
It [Pacific NW Fertility] is a top notch clinic, with great outcomes. It was always clean and professional. It was also extremely expensive. Sometimes it was hard to figure out the chain of communication and hard to get a direct line to anyone. ... Chelsea was amazing. She has a great way of explaining options and including a personal communication style with research. We stayed at the clinic for her services and were sad to leave her when we transferred care.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is clear in explaining her process, but there is little room for a patient to work with her on your plan of care. She is also quite defensive when questions are asked, as if she is offended. Overall, I felt pretty disheartened by our meeting together.
If you want to just have someone take the wheel, this is your doctor. If you want to explore options with a doctor, she is probably not the best fit. However, her nurses are incredible and you won't see her much, so it could be a good fit for some folx.
We did a consultation for IVF and she managed our IUI inseminations using Letrozole. She planned our IVF cycle with only PGS testing embryos. The clinic does not do, as far as I can tell, any fresh transfers.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It is a top notch clinic, with great outcomes. It was always clean and professional. It was also extremely expensive. Sometimes it was hard to figure out the chain of communication and hard to get a direct line to anyone.
It was about $300 for an IVF consultation, however IVF for one retrieval was quoted at just over 30K, with no discounts for self-pay clients. They also looked flabbergasted when we asked for an LGBTQ grants.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
For some reason only part of my medical record was sent to the new clinic when we changed providers.
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Lora Shahine is a] Strong communicator, compassionate and understanding while also not beating around the bush. Only disappointing thing was BMI cutoffs for egg retrieval, BMI is not a reliable indicator for health so not happy that the clinic uses a BMI cut off for any health decisions... Had many personal interactions with Dr Shahine and her staff, especially during my second miscarriage.
It’s Hard to get in [at Pacific NW Fertility- Seattle]. The Docs are busy and scheduled out. I had to wait several months after my initial appt to have a follow-up. The have an In-house lab, which makes lab work easy and you get very fast results.... Had many personal interactions with Dr Shahine and her staff, especially during my second miscarriage... Book early. It will probably take a couple months to get in
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Book early. It will probably take a couple months to get in
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It’s Hard to get in. The Docs are busy and scheduled out. I had to wait several months after my initial appt to have a follow-up. The have an In-house lab, which makes lab work easy and you get very fast results.
So far my insurance has covered my appts but they will not cover treatment. I expect IUIs will be about 2K per month

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Marshall seems to be very well practiced in her field. I have 100% trust in her knowledge of fertility treatment. She was present for most of my procedures and often entertained my questions...After our failed embryo transfer, when we were finally able to meet up to discuss what happened - she couldn't remember a lot of the details of my cycle (how many embryos did we get? did I have a positive HCG?, etc) and clearly hadn't refreshed herself prior to the meeting. Which was disappointing. After such a loss (chemical pregnancy of your one and only embryo), I was hoping for answers but since she didn't appear to know me from the next infertile woman so it felt like a waste of time.
When we decided to use donor eggs we were initially assigned a new RN [at Pacific NW Fertility] but she failed to send in my Rx and complete my FMLA forms even though I asked her twice for each so I requested to return to my IVF RN...IVF with ICSI and PGS $22,000...Emily, Danielle (RN's), Annemika (CRNA), Suzanne (phlebotomist) and the recovery RN are amazing...Parking could be a pain. More expensive than other clinics in the area. Long wait times. Leaving messages with the front office staff is not always reliable
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall seems to be very well practiced in her field. I have 100% trust in her knowledge of fertility treatment. She was present for most of my procedures and often entertained my questions. After my hysteroscopy she told my husband about the results, because I was still coming out of anesthesia, but she would have never followed up with me if I hadn't asked. After our failed embryo transfer, when we were finally able to meet up to discuss what happened - she couldn't remember a lot of the details of my cycle (how many embryos did we get? did I have a positive HCG?, etc) and clearly hadn't refreshed herself prior to the meeting. Which was disappointing. After such a loss (chemical pregnancy of your one and only embryo), I was hoping for answers but since she didn't appear to know me from the next infertile woman so it felt like a waste of time.
She's very knowledge but not that personable - she lays out the facts but she doesn't pressure you to go one way or the other. She is one of the harder doctors to get appointments with - prepare yourself for a lot of 'hurry up and wait'.
To up front, I didn't feel like a number until our embryo transferred failed. Prior to this (during the IVF cycle and leading up to the frozen embryo transfer) I felt treated like a human. We had our egg retrieval on Thanksgiving and there wasn't any "oh man, this is a holiday and I'm working..."-vibe. Communication had been pretty good up to the point (a few months later) of the cycle failure. After I went in for my first beta HCG, I received a phone call around 11am - I had a "very good" level. Then the 2nd draw (phone called results received around 2pm) the number had decreased and that apparently wasn't good but I was not informed what that could mean - just that it wasn't good and I would need to repeat the blood draw again. After the 3rd HCG blood draw, 3pm no phone call - I called them to see what was happening and about 10 min later received a return call saying "sorry, your HCG levels are dropping. You can stop taking the estrogen and progesterone." And that was it. I was livid - 99% due to the fact that my one and only PGS normal embryo had died - but 1% because there was total lack of compassion and explanation. I was then informed that if I wanted answers I would have to talk to Dr. Marshall and her next appointment was in 3 months. Suddenly my $20k investment had met its end and I was just a number placed back in the line
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve (AMH ) and probable poor egg quality, other than that I don't know why the meds and doses were chosen. my IVF regimen was as follows: 3 weeks of BCP suppression check/blood work Follistim 450 IU and miniHCG 20u for 12 days. Meanwhile reporting to the clinic day 5 (ultra sound - 9 follicles), day 7 (US - 12 follicles), day 9 (US - 14 follicles), day 11 (13 follicles), and day 12 (12 follicles). Started Ganerelix on day 9. On day 12 max follicle size was 18.6 so HCG Trigger shot was scheduled for that night with retrieval the next morning. Egg retrieval in the morning, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 of those were mature. Day one report - 5 fertilized. Day 5 - 1 blastocyst and two more still growing. Day 6 - 2 blastocysts, both biopsied and frozen PGS report a four days later (we were told it would take 2 weeks) - 1 chromosomal normal blastocyst About a week after the retrieval I had a hysteroscopy and removal of some polyps found during the Saline Sonogram. Then I took a month and a half break (continuing birth control pills) to allow healing. For the FET, I did 2 weeks of lupron at 10u (some overlap with the BCP). A suppression check and blood work prior to starting Estrogen patches. The patches started at two every other day for a week then increased to 3 patches every other day for a few days then up to 4 patches every other day. Lupron had been reduced to 5 units every day. My first lining check was not thick enough so I continued with 4 patches. Still continuing with Lupron. Finally my lining was thick enough (it took 5 weeks instead of the 4 that was initially outlined). Progesterone was to start 6 days prior to transfer, but I forgot to start the progesterone so the cycle got cancelled. For the next cycle to prepare for the frozen embryo transfer, we repeated the BCP and lupron portion of the meds but I reacted negatively to the estrogen patches (rashes) so we switched to delestrogen injections. The delestrogen injection worked much better and my lining was ready pretty quickly. 6 days prior to the transfer I started progestrone injections and stopped the lupron. 10 days later I had my first beta HCG which was 150ish and my follow hcg test had declining levels so I had to repeat it again and the number was even lower so I was told to stop the delestrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Emily is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! She was the glue that held everything together. Each ultrasound/blood work visit started with the blood draw or the ultrasound then wrapped up with Emily. I was often unsure of what Dr.Marshall meant or what I was supposed to do but Emily always closed the loop. And if I ever reached out to her via email (about something that I was obsessing over or a weird thing I had read on a forum) she responded within 2 hours and reasoned with me. She helped me keep my sanity. She's very nice, funny, personable and professional. I always felt better when she was around. On one visit she wasn't there but she followed up with me the next day to make sure I understood the plan and to see if I had questions. She was even very timely with outside paperwork - FMLA forms, Rx forms, etc. If it weren't for Emily, I might have gone to another facility for my current treatments
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Clinic strengths - for me the location is very convenient. Emily, Danielle (RN's), Annemika (CRNA), Suzanne (phlebotomist) and the recovery RN are amazing. They have every magazine under the sun to keep you entertained. Weaknesses - If Emily wasn't working that day it would take a long time to get the results of my blood work. Parking could be a pain. More expensive than other clinics in the area. Long wait times. Leaving messages with the front office staff is not always reliable
IVF with ICSI and PGS $22,000. Meds for IVF were about $4,000. FET about $800. Meds for FET about $1200.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
When we decided to use donor eggs we were initially assigned a new RN but she failed to send in my Rx and complete my FMLA forms even though I asked her twice for each so I requested to return to my IVF RN
Seattle

Dr Lamb has always been very forth-coming with the level of detail we were looking for in terms of understanding the science of what is (and is not) happening, AND she does it in a very compassionate and empathetic manner.... We really felt like to only patients in the clinic when she was sitting in front of us—she was never rushing off to another clinic appointment, never seemed annoyed by our questions—even when we had a half dozen of them!
Front desk staff [Pacific NW Fertility] is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately.... One prescription wasn’t called into our pharmacy in the timeframe we had expected. When we brought it to the clinic’s attention, the situation was immediately remedied.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
We initially chose to see Dr Lamb (as opposed to the another clinic provider) because her bio on the clinic website seemed like the best initial fit. As a lesbian couple who (initially) was “only needing IUI,” we were worried about feeling like “less of a priority” because we weren’t seeking IVF or something else complicated. But from our very first visit with Dr Lamb, it felt very clear that she was going to dedicate whatever time and attention our treatment plan required. We really felt like to only patients in the clinic when she was sitting in front of us—she was never rushing off to another clinic appointment, never seemed annoyed by our questions—even when we had a half dozen of them! She has always been very compassionate in her demeanor and is easy to talk to about very intimate details of our lives.
Don’t be afraid to ask the “hard questions” that you really want answers to or are wondering about — it might be scary to hear the answer, but hearing it from Dr Lamb really does make it a little easier!
Dr Lamb has always been very forth-coming with the level of detail we were looking for in terms of understanding the science of what is (and is not) happening, AND she does it in a very compassionate and empathetic manner. She reads people (at least she reads us!) very well, and seems to truly understand that even when we are struggling to understand the science, we are still in the midst of a very emotional process. She responds to our emotional display in slowing down a bit, asking if we need a break, etc—but never witholding or “sugar-coating” the information we are seeking.
We started with a very basic protocol because all labs, u/s, and hysterosalpingogram were normal. For our first 5 cycles, I took letrozole days 3-7, had a day 12 u/s, then timed ovulation trigger based on u/s results. For the 6th cycle, we tried a ten-day course of letrozole, but because of thin ing of the uterine lining, we didn’t continue that in cycle 7. Cycle 7 we did letrozole days 3-7 + injectables, with day 12 u/s. We used letrozole instead of clinic per Dr Lamb’s recommendation to lower the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Peterson)
Ms Peterson was assigned to us a bit later in our treatment course—Dr Lamb’s primary medical assistant had had a couple of health-related leaves of absence, and while the clinic was trying to provide coverage, things just weren’t going as smoothly as we expected. When we raised this concern to Dr Lamb, she immediately asked Ms Peterson to follow-up and address our MA-RN related concerns. Tim’s Peterson exceeded our expectations for timely and thoughtful communication, and was clearly invested in preventing any further communication-related frustration.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Front desk staff is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately. We don’t have much experience with the on-site lab for blood draws. The clinic seems to always be running on time, which is pretty amazing. There was only one occasion when they were about ten minutes behind schedule, and we were informed at check-in, and an MA came out to give us an updated timeline so we knew what to expect (again, for just a ten minute delay).
We were provided with a price sheet at the very first appointment, and while we did not expect our insurance to cover any of our fertility-related care, the clinic agreed to bill insurance prior to collecting payment from us. Our insurance ended up covering some components of the care, and it was super convenient to us that hey had been willing to bill.
Seattle

She [Dr. Shahine] does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.... She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs.
They [Pacific NW Fertility] were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human... We got quotes for both and outside monitor IVF with and with PGS and quotes for outside monitoring donor cycles. Costs ranged from 22,000ish to 40,000 ish with and without medications
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.
You will love her. She is so kind, so caring. She is educated, direct and compassionate. She is prepared for your visit and treats you with respect and explains everything fully.
She is so kind but explains everything very well. She gets to the point but has compassion. She knew about us and didn’t have to look through a chart while she talked. She did her homework. She is amazing
She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs. But she wanted to make sure whatever choice we made she would go 100% toward that choice and do everything she could to make our dream come true
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Can’t remember her name)
The whole office was kind, welcoming and caring. The office was brightly lit wh big windows overlooking downtown seattle
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human
I understand the single versus multiple egg transfer. Dr Shahine’s clinic promoted single egg high quality transfer. The thought of multiples scared us so that eased our minds.