Bellevue
Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104
206.515.0000

Lorna Marshall thoroughly reviewed our chart and was happy to help us with IUI because she knew we were not ready for IVF. When we wanted to be more aggressive she adjusted our protocol and added inhectables. She was always understanding of our situation and showed compassion while at the same time being straight forward with our situation.... I was prescribed Letrozole 5mg daily days 2-6. This was a little earlier than typically prescribed because my cycles are a little shorter than average. My ultrasound on day 8 showed 3 mature follicles. I triggered that day and did the IUI next day. The second IUI with PNW Fertility we added follistim (75iu) on day 7 in attempts to be more aggressive. My ultrasound was day 8 and showed 3 mature follicles. I triggered day 8 and IUI was day 9.
Every single interaction I had with staff at PNW Fertility was positive. I interacted with many nurses, front desk staff, lab staff, ultrasound techs, phlebotomist, and nursing assistants. Everyone was welcoming, kind, and compassionate. The only negative feedback I have is on the financial counselor, Jamila Thomas. After meeting with her she was to send additional information via email. I followed up with her twice via email and never received a reply.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
I can’t think of any advice to give specifically related to Lorna Marshall.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
The communication with Lorna Marshall’s nurses was outstanding. When I had questions they were answered promptly and with plenty of detail. At one point the nurse had reviewed my chart and noticed I hadn’t properly scheduled an appointment and called me. This attention to detail and communication did not exist through my last clinic.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amber Hopkins)
I cannot speak highly enough of my nurse, Amber Hopkins. Her response time was prompt and she always provided detailed explanations and/or instructions. Amber was always very compassionate and understanding. She emailed directly with me at my request rather than using the portal. Amber called me on the phone on several occasions, which I found to be rare with other clinics. She was always up to speed on my cycle and protocol and often followed up with me on her own accord. From the beginning I felt a personal connection and never did I feel like just a number.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
Consultation $295-375 Ultrasound $185 Venipuncture $25 Hormone testing $79-85 each Injection $40 Insemination $275 Sperm wash & prep $270
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Seattle
Dr. Marshall was personable and patient with us during the consultations, but was was less than willing to stray from the conventional process of attempting a set number of IUIs, and then proceeding to IVF without a good understanding of why the IUIs weren't working. ... We asked about a laparoscopy to look for possible endometriosis, which she dismissed as too invasive ... We decided to move forward with the procedure anyway using my wife's OB-GYN, and they did indeed find endometriosis ...
PNWF seems to be pretty good at middle of the road infertility cases and provide a good level of quality to the standard procedures. However, they seem less willing to explore each individual's unique challenges and get to the root of unexplained infertility. ... My biggest pet peeve with PNWF was that the first experience you have once entering their office is walking up to the front desk and being asked to pay up front. ... It seems like there could be a better way that's more considerate of the emotional state that most people are in when they arrive. ... Jennifer [nurse] was very congenial and responsive to e-mails and calls. A
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall was very calm and considerate whenever we met with her. She is very knowledgable and was patient with us even when we were frustrated that multiple IUI attempts had not worked. I have also heard great things about her from other patients that we have met during our journey. My two critiques are as follows: - Dr. Marshall (and PNW Fertility) was less than willing to stray from the normal playbook. Our case is atypical in that we were using donor sperm and we had no explanation why the IUIs hadn't worked to date. We asked about a laparoscopy to look for possible endometriosis, which she dismissed as too invasive and stated that she thought there was no reason to think my wife had that condition. We decided to move forward with the procedure anyway using my wife's OB-GYN, and they did indeed find endometriosis, which may have been an issue with the prior IUI attempts - At our last insemination, the RN asked if we had been taking in additional medication recommended by Dr. Marshall. These recommendations were in our file, but she had not actually told us anything about it.
Dr. Marshall is knowledgable and considerate, but as with everything in the infertility process, it is important to be your own advocate and make sure you communicate with her if you feel you need more testing or are seeking a different approach.
Multiple IUIs attempted with Dr. Marshall and RNs at PNWF. None were successful. After 5 attempts Dr. Marshall recommended proceeding directly to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Schilling)
Jennifer was very congenial and responsive to e-mails and calls. As with Dr. Marshall, we thought she was not comfortable straying from the normal procedures for IUIs.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
PNWF seems to be pretty good at middle of the road infertility cases and provide a good level of quality to the standard procedures. However, they seem less willing to explore each individual's unique challenges and get to the root of unexplained infertility. My biggest pet peeve with PNWF was that the first experience you have once entering their office is walking up to the front desk and being asked to pay up front. It just made everything seem very transactional. It seems like there could be a better way that's more considerate of the emotional state that most people are in when they arrive.
IUI costs included the insemintation, as well as defrosting and testing of donor sperm. We were repeatedly charged for sperm analysis that as not done (since it was a donor). We have begun exploring IVF costs, and while they seem comparable to other clinics in the area, it is... excessive.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Not all preliminary testing was done up front, and discussing the results was challenging. Bloodwork results were often communicated by a phone call saying "everything looks fine." My wife would have to call repeatedly to have someone walk her through the numbers and explain what they meant.
Seattle
We underwent 3 IUI treatments, with a trigger HCG shot [protocol with Dr. Shahine]. They were extremely painful and bloody, apparently I have a "tricky cervix". Then we underwent IVF, using birth control pills, Lupron subcutaneous injections, estrogen patches, progesterone intramuscular injections. I think it was the pretty standard set of drugs with usual doses...is not a fan of multiple embryo transfers for anyone, but especially for people with kidney or heart problems.
The care coordinator, and nursing staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] were all very great. They were compassionate, attentive, and very organized...The costs for the IUI treatments was around $3000 or $4000, the whole process for IVF was about $58,000...Appointment times are easy to get and make and there are several options for before or after work. One weakness of the clinic is that I feel they are so busy that sometimes you feel like a number. I have been going there for over a year and seeing the same ladies in the front desk, and the same nursing staff, but I still feel like they don't even know my name.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lora Shahine came highly recommended to me from several friends. I was initially impressed by her, but as my husband and I started coming more often to PNW Fertility, we realized that we only saw her the one time we initially met her. All my IUIs and scans were done by other practitioners. When I voiced concern and wanted to meet with her, we were scheduled for an hour appointment with her to discuss starting IVF. My husband and I took the day off work, and Dr. Shahine was about 50 minutes late and we felt very rushed in our meeting with her. It was very hard to get a hold of her even once we had started IVF, and we basically felt connected to our IVF coordinator but not Dr. Shahine so much. As time has gone on, I feel like Dr. Shahine has been more involved with our care, and we've formed a decent relationship. All in all, it just seems to us as though she is very busy, and we are not important enough.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
One piece of advice I'd give a prospective patient is to meet with multiple providers, and then go to the one with whom you feel the best connection. I went with recommendations of friends but I feel like maybe it just wasn't the right fit for us, as we prefer very involved practitioners.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
In the beginning, I felt like a number. I felt like several times my calls weren't answered back and I sometimes felt forgotten. As my journey went on, I felt more of a connection with Dr. Shahine, and felt as though I started to matter, and our infertility journey continued to be unproductive.
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We underwent 3 IUI treatments, with a trigger HCG shot. They were extremely painful and bloody, apparently I have a "tricky cervix". Then we underwent IVF, using birth control pills, Lupron subcutaneous injections, estrogen patches, progesterone intramuscular injections. I think it was the pretty standard set of drugs with usual doses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The care coordinator, and nursing staff were all very great. They were compassionate, attentive, and very organized.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest Fertility Seattle is a beautiful location. The staff is very friendly. The office is clean and well run. Appointment times are easy to get and make and there are several options for before or after work. One weakness of the clinic is that I feel they are so busy that sometimes you feel like a number. I have been going there for over a year and seeing the same ladies in the front desk, and the same nursing staff, but I still feel like they don't even know my name.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
I think Dr. Shahine is not a fan of multiple embryo transfers for anyone, but especially for people with kidney or heart problems.
Seattle
Dr Shahine always made me feel like she had all the time in the world and was never rushed. She has an incredible bed side manner and so much empathy for women going through such a difficult time.... Dr Shahine has always been absolutely amazing and cares about me as a person, is always asking how I am doing and how I am feeling. The only thing I haven’t liked in recent visits is the nurse that calls me in, she always seems in a bad mood, always pronounces my name wrong and just seems like she doesn’t like her job, even my husband noticed and said something.
Very helpful and friendly front desk and they remember who I am. Rooms [Pacific NW Fertility] are very nice, and I love the gals who draw my blood every time they are very friendly and distract you while they are taking blood. The office is the whole 10th floor and parking is easy.... My first coordinator Danielle was a dream! Loved her so much but then she got another role. I now have Tara and she is also very sweet as well as organized... The only thing I haven’t liked in recent visits is the nurse that calls me in, she always seems in a bad mood, always pronounces my name wrong and just seems like she doesn’t like her job, even my husband noticed and said something.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine has always been absolutely amazing and cares about me as a person, is always asking how I am doing and how I am feeling. The only thing I haven’t liked in recent visits is the nurse that calls me in, she always seems in a bad mood, always pronounces my name wrong and just seems like she doesn’t like her job, even my husband noticed and said something. I look past this because Dr Shahine is so wonderful but definitely doesn’t match how the rest of the staff is.
Just be prepared that it’s a journey, and it will not happen overnight but Dr. Shahine will always keep you updated and give every option available and then let you make the decision that’s right for you. She will give you the good and the bad but always remains positive that there is always another option to start a family and to never loose hope!
We used a normal IVF protocol for egg retrieval and have had two rounds of frozen embryo transfer that involved lupron, birth control pills and then estrogen patches and progesterone in oil shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tara)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Very helpful and friendly front desk and they remember who I am. Rooms are very nice, and I love the gals who draw my blood every time they are very friendly and distract you while they are taking blood. The office is the whole 10th floor and parking is easy.
I believe it was 18,000 for the egg retrieval and then 5,000 for each transfer, plus the cost of medication
She explained both and gave her opinion on what she thought was best for us but then left the final decision up to us.
Seattle
He [Dr. Brad Swelstad] is caring and compassionate but also tells you how it is, not just what you want to hear. He will give you all the facts, good or bad, and allow you to make your own decisions. He is easy to understand and always has charts and visual aids to help explain things in an easy to understand way. Even though we have not yet had success, I believe he will get us to our goal and trust that he knows how to get there.
The ARNPs at Pacific Northwest Fertility are amazing. They are the ones that have done all my IUIs and ultrasounds. They are always pleasant and compassionate. The nursing staff and MA staff are okay. Sometimes they are hard to understand on the phone but they always call when they say they will and are more than willing to get answers to questions they don't know the answer to.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Swelstad is a pleasure to work with. He is caring and compassionate but also tells you how it is, not just what you want to hear. He will give you all the facts, good or bad, and allow you to make your own decisions. He is easy to understand and always has charts and visual aids to help explain things in an easy to understand way. Even though we have not yet had success, I believe he will get us to our goal and trust that he knows how to get there.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Listen to what he says, even if it is not what you want to hear. He will give you options but also give his opinion. I wish I had listened to his opinion earlier even though it would mean moving to IVF sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Swelstad took the time to get to know us and talk to us about our lives outside of fertility. Our visits are always personable and enjoyable and he takes time to just chat instead of being in a hurry to get to the next patient.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We started with Dr. Swedlstad after 3 rounds of medicated cycles (clomid) with two of them including IUIs. Dr. Swelstad instantly switched us to Femera and did 3 cycles of that with IUIs. After this, we took a break and moved to combo cycles with 5 days of Femera and 3 days of Follistim injections followed by a trigger and IUI. The last 2 cycles, we also used suppository progesterone. All cycles failed.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
PNW Fertility is a great clinic. They are accommodating when scheduling procedures, testing, and ultrasounds. They are open every day and it was never an issue to get in when necessary. They are a smaller clinic so it feels like they get to know you and you never feel like a "number". The clinic is clean, organized, and welcoming.
Brad Swelstad
Seattle
She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] has told me her concerns and what she feels would be best but always giving me options to choose from...she was very informative and concise, which is what I look for in a doctor. She took the time to explain the entire process of IVF and answered questions along the way...SHe recommends freezing your embryos for at least 2 months to reset your body... I am on Follistim and Mini HCG. She has titrated the amount according to my labs.
MY care coordinator [at Pacific NW Fertility] is Emily. I have worked with at least 2 other nurses in this office. All of them are very kind and caring. Always calling to check on me and to make sure I am dong ok on my medications. When I am seen in the office Emily and all the other staff always have a smile on their face...IVF cycle cost around $25,000...This clinic overall is a great place to be receiving fertility services. No one wants to be in this situation but this is where you want to be going through it. The entire clinic is well run, usually on time and always clean.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It has been a long road for my husband and I. I met Dr. Marshall during my ART consultation. During this consultation, she was very informative and concise, which is what I look for in a doctor. She took the time to explain the entire process of IVF and answered questions along the way. She has told me how it is through this journey that I am still on. She has told me her concerns and what she feels would be best but always giving me options to choose from.
She is a great doctor and would recommend to all. Although this journey I am on is not something that has been planned, she has made it easier to get through.
She takes the time to discuss the options and gives you time to ask questions. She cares about how you feel during your treatments. She takes the time when something is uncomfortable.
I am currently on my first round of IVF. I am on Follistim and Mini HCG. She has titrated the amount according to my labs. She used Ganirelix. She is using a dual trigger with Lupron and HCG. SHe recommends freezing your embryos for at least 2 months to reset your body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
MY care coordinator is Emily. I have worked with at least 2 other nurses in this office. All of them are very kind and caring. Always calling to check on me and to make sure I am dong ok on my medications. When I am seen in the office Emily and all the other staff always have a smile on their face.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
My first and, at this point, my only IVF cycle cost around $25,000.
I do know the office I go to has a protocol for this. For the age I am, she recommends not transferring more then 2 embryos at a time.
Seattle
Lora Shahine makes us feel like family every time we enter her office! WE love her deeply and her care for us shows in her words and actions.... She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.... We used estrogen patches and Lupron first cycle but it affected my lining negatively so we went with estrogen and estrace and no Lupron and it helped! Once we transferred I was on estrogen, progesterone, estrace and aspirin. This ended in a Chemical pregnancy
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a great clinic the staff, the lab techs, the blood drawers the nurses and main doctors are always there to help! I have no negatives! I would like to explain to a new patient that goes in expecting a baby the first round that it's not always like this and its a hard pill to swallow when it happens to you. But this clinic is there for you to help you get to your baby. Even with the struggles they are always comforting. Even when you just need to cry.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora Shahine is a caring individual. She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.
Know that you aren't just working with a doctor. You will be working with a friend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Grey)
Emily has been so amazing! I am the patient that sends over a million emails a day and she answers every single one in a timely manner! She is always smiling at our appointments and laughing along with us. She is a gem and we love her dearly and once again we are grateful God picked her for our team!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were great for us. We live over an hour and a half a way and we had back to back appointments during the winter and they always would either see us earlier or get us in right on time because they understood our travel.
So far for our whole experience we have spent a grand total of 30,000.00 including retrieval and transfer. Meds we have spent around 15,000.00 through our pharmacy.
I trust our doctor and what she says will be best for my body.
Seattle

[Dr. Lorna Marshall] failed to inform us what blood tests she was ordering (when we were paying out of pocket and concerned about costs) and some of the blood tests had already been conducted...was pleasant enough to work with, but seemed unskilled at acknowledging the emotions of seeking out fertility treatment for the first time...She was less than helpful in giving advice on next steps and directed us away from further examination of my partner's varicocele and potential varicocelectomy. She was helpful in not recommending IUIs with injectables to avoid possible multiples.
There were many nurses and nurse practitioners whom we worked with at Pacific NW Fertility. I never felt like they actually knew me nor did I get to know them. It felt like it was a new person each time we went. They were professional, competent, optimistic, and compassionate. I did not have a bad experience with the nursing staff other than feeling like there was little to no opportunity to form much of a relationship/sense of familiarity.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lorna Marshall was technical and rather emotionally cold. She was pleasant enough to work with, superficially compassionate, and not very warm. She had a strange story about her parents taking 9 years to conceive her which was unhelpful given my age and situation. She provided information on the procedures and answered the questions we had as best she could. She was less than helpful in giving advice on next steps and directed us away from further examination of my partner's varicocele and potential varicocelectomy. She was helpful in not recommending IUIs with injectables to avoid possible multiples.
Be prepared that Lorna Marshall likely won't be very warm and emotionally supportive through the process.
Dr. Lorna Marshall was pleasant enough to work with, but seemed unskilled at acknowledging the emotions of seeking out fertility treatment for the first time.
Lorna Marshall recommended IUIs with letrozole. She had us come in for ultrasounds in advance of the IUI in order to check follicle count in advance of each IUI. She had us use an HCG trigger shot prior to the IUI. Each time, I developed 1-2 follicles on letrozole, but only ever got negative pregnancy tests.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic was expensive and at times poor communicators. One person at the front desk gave us the wrong information about parking. The financial department was relatively difficult to work with and seemed unavailable/unhelpful at times. It was difficult to get itemized bills when we requested them. The location was a bit difficult to get to and parking was challenging and expensive. The lobby was pretty and well maintained with nice views.
We paid for 2-3 consultations with Dr. Marshall, the cost of letrozole and HCG trigger shot medications, the cost of ultrasounds/IUI/sperm washing procedures, and parking.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Lorna Marshall failed to inform us what blood tests she was ordering (when we were paying out of pocket and concerned about costs) and some of the blood tests had already been conducted. The clinic refunded the lab costs, but it was difficult to get a refund and unnecessary if Dr. Marshall had simply informed us what tests she was planning to run when the blood draw was done.
Seattle

Dr. Lamb prefers ESET with pgs tested embryos...She listened to our concerns and didn't rush us. Dr. Lamb even gave us advice on a cycle she wasn't managing, the first time we met her. She reviewed our records thoroughly and found 3 major things our previous RE missed. She seems to remember details of previous cycles, or at least reviews records before visits to recall them...We valued her attention to detail immensely....
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment [at Pacific NW Fertility]...Repeat your SA at this clinic. They do a more in depth analysis, and we learned that we have both female and male factor fertility issues! I believe that this clinic has one of the best embryology labs...I think treatment at her clinic is more expensive than some other clinics, but the quality and attention to detail are worth it!...
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very kind and honest as she reviewed our history. She pointed out that ivf was the next best step for us (given many months of failed Clomid, Femara, and injectable Follistim cycles) but was willing to help us with more injectable cycles and iui if we preferred. She was very thorough, most importantly! She found things my last RE missed: low sperm morphology, uterine septum, and Ashermans syndrome when she went in to remove the septum via hysteroscopy. We had a second procedure to make sure it worked and it had. We valued her attention to detail immensely. She has also been very kind and a good cheerleader when I've felt low. We did do ivf and had a great retrieval -- many eggs and good fertilization with icsi. Many embryos were made and 4 were normal on PGS. I have now had 3 FET: 1 with negative beta, one with positive beta that resulted in my son, and recently a third FET that resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
I think treatment at her clinic is more expensive than some other clinics, but the quality and attention to detail are worth it! Definitely have a consult with her and come prepared with your records and questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the protocols Julie Lamb used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I have PCOS and a high afc. History of ohss on an injectable cycle with ti with another provider. She watched me very closely because of this due to risk for ohss again and was able to avoid it! I believe it was an antagonist protocol -- Follistim 225 and low dose hcg daily to start with. Follistim decreased to 150 after first ultrasound. Ganirelex to suppress premature ovulation. Dual trigger with hcg and Lupron. Yield was 26 eggs, 21 fertilized with icsi,14 embryos frozen by day 5-6. 4 of these were pgs normal. I was 38 at the time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dr. Lamb's team seems to switch frequently over time. We have had several IVF coordinators. One was awful (Kallie) but the others have been good (Yvette, Clare, Nicole).)
Over time, Dr. Lamb's staff has become much more organized and helpful. They respond to emails quickly and help us coordinate out of town care, since we live out of the area.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment. Make sure to get all of your records sent asap. They might cancel your appt if not! The front desk signed for and lost my records that I overnighted them, but I was able to upload them to the patient portal last minute, thankfully! I really like my current coordinators but some of the other coordinators or nurses there were not as patient or helpful. Previously, I felt a bit patronized when I asked questions via email. This has not been a problem in the past couple of years, though, since the coordinator switched. Repeat your SA at this clinic. They do a more in depth analysis, and we learned that we have both female and male factor fertility issues! I believe that this clinic has one of the best embryology labs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility.
I can't remember because we had so many medical costs lately. I think ivf was around 15k with outside monitoring. Icsi was extra. Biopsy of embryos was extra. Medications were extra. Fet with outside monitoring is now just under 4k, not including meds.
Describe Julie Lamb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb prefers ESET with pgs tested embryos. Her rationale was sound!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
They lost records that we sent prior to our first consult and implied that perhaps we didn't send the records at all. The tune was changed when I was able to give them the name of who signed for the package, once I tracked it! It ended up being no big deal in the long run, but caused some stress at the time.
Seattle

Dr. Marshall: individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions.
My experience with my IVF coordinator [at Pacific NW Fertility - Sea], Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch...The high quality of the experience I have had is embedded in how PNWF operates. All my interactions with PNWF doctors have been very positive. I believe their equipment and protocols are top notch...The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care... Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a friend of mine with extremely high standards. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. During our discussion my prior cycles became critical inputs for deciding how to move forward. My prior doctors had made very solid decisions, but the key to better results was precisely pinpointing what needed to be changed based on what did not work in the past. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
Work with Dr. Marshall and you can relax.
Estradiol for suppression. Clomid + High dosage follistim for stimulation. Human growth hormone for finishing. The timing Dr. Marshall used for each step was critical for changing my results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
My experience with my IVF coordinator, Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch. It is difficult to identify all the traits that an ideal IVF coordinator has, but my experience with Emily has helped to crystallize them: • Deeply knowledgeable – Emily’s ability to smoothly manage communication and coordination among my doctor, the front desk, my pharmacy, geneticists, and others is rooted in her knowledge of both IVF medicine and the PNWF process. Her knowledge is broad (covering my questions on embryo banking, acceptable medications, etc.) and deep (e.g., risks associated with back-to-back IVF cycles). I’ve worked with many nurses in multiple fields who can go through the motions, but can’t connect each process step or my question to the bigger goal. Emily goes way beyond. • Commitment to results – As with Dr. Marshall and with the entire team, Emily has always been “in it to win it” with my husband and me. During one visit, I expressed that I appreciated her working with me even after I had proven to be the Cancellation Queen. She responded immediately and confidently: “I’ve never known you as that.” At that moment, I realized how important it is to feel in my bones the support and belief of the team you are partnering with. • Attunement and sensitivity – Emily is upbeat when delivering good news, and compassionate when delivering bad news. This sensitivity is HUGE when going through the IVF process. There is nothing worse than going through a gut-wrenching process with a tone deaf partner. • Proactive and clear – Emily stays ahead of me in all aspects of the process: from sending me a tentative calendar before we’ve even finalized target dates to ensuring my prescriptions are ready to go. • Responsive and patient – I’m not an easy patient. I ask lots of questions. All the time. Emily has been gracious with her attention and timely with her responses, often providing more information and insight than I even know to ask for. The rest of the nursing staff and front desk staff has been great to work with as well. At a certain point, I started to feel like a regular given the number and frequency of my visits. Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals. The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
~$10K for physician services (monitoring, aspiration, transfer); ~$9K for embryology (insemination, blastocyst culture, cryopreservation)
Seattle

Overall we were very happy with Dr. Swelstad. he only negative thing we encountered was the way in which he approached his recommendation that we use ICSI in our first IVF cycle. According to my husband's sperm analysis all his numbers were above average, except for morphology, which was at the low end of average, but still in a normal range. To me, this indicated that there was no male factor, or at least not one that had been proven. Dr. Swelstad's rationale was that because we had unexplained infertility and had never conceived, it was possible that the sperm were having trouble fertilizing the egg despite the numbers being normal.
The quality of care is great [at Pacific NW Fertility], very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.... We opted for the refund plan, which, once you added the extra fees for ICSI, anesthesia, etc came to over $20,000. The terms were that if you used all your embryos in 12 months and still hadn't sustained a pregnancy to 12 weeks, you would be refunded 80% (not including those extra fees and add-ons).
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Overall we were very happy with Dr. Swelstad. The only negative thing we encountered was the way in which he approached his recommendation that we use ICSI in our first IVF cycle. According to my husband's sperm analysis all his numbers were above average, except for morphology, which was at the low end of average, but still in a normal range. To me, this indicated that there was no male factor, or at least not one that had been proven. Dr. Swelstad's rationale was that because we had unexplained infertility and had never conceived, it was possible that the sperm were having trouble fertilizing the egg despite the numbers being normal. He recommended that we use ICSI and gave us a ballpark figure of the price (not included in our IVF cycle plan) that turned out to be significantly lower than the actual price. Though he apologized for this later with the usual "I'm a doctor, I'm not in billing," we felt that if a doctor is going to strongly recommend an optional and expensive add-on treatment, that he should be informed about current pricing. After discussing it on our own and discovering the real price of ICSI, which seemed to be exorbitant compared to some other clinics we looked into and the national average, we decided we did not want to do ICSI. Dr. Swelstad then proceeded to call us to make the case again. In some ways we appreciated the personal attention, especially as he made the call at 5 pm, but we also felt quite pressured to proceed with ICSI. In the end, since we only had 7 eggs that were mature enough to be fertilized at all, we were glad we did ICSI, which resulted in 6/7 being fertilized. However, if we had had more eggs I don't think this procedure would have been necessary at all, and the clinic would not give us the option of making the decision after the egg retrieval. It is a fine line since the clinic does, of course, have a vested interest in achieving success, but we did feel pressured, despite Dr. Swelstad's generally kind demeanor and obvious commitment to getting us our positive outcome.
I felt very good after our first consultation with Dr.Swelstad. He was a great conversationalist and seemed interested in our situation in both a professional and personal way.
We did a fresh IVF cycle using my husband's frozen sperm and my own eggs. I was on fairly standard doses of follistim (increased from 300 daily to 375 when I wasn't responding enough), mini HCG, and later Ganirelix. My follicles weren't getting big enough, thus the increased dosage. If I did it again I would want to be on the higher dosage from the beginning, as I believe this was the cause of our relatively mediocre-average egg retrieval count. But at the time there was no way of knowing how I would respond, and we definitely didn't want to over-stimulate. I needed a few extra days, and therefore extra doses of ganirelix, but it all worked out well in the end, and I experienced almost no side effects at all from the treatment. 11 eggs retrieved, 7 were mature, 6 were fertilized using ICSI, and 5 survived to day 5. We transferred two and are now pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa Fox)
Alyssa, who no longer works at PNWF, was awesome at communicating with us by email while we were still overseas and trying to get everything organized to start our cycle. I contacted multiple clinics and never got a better or more prompt response than from her. This was crucial to our decision to go with this clinic and her continued support and communication made the whole process very smooth.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The quality of care is great, very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Brad Swelstad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
There was no option because we chose a refund plan that required us to transfer two at a time, and we were fine with that.
Brad Swelstad

2013 - 2017, Successful
Doctor shahine always took extra time with me was and explained everything throughly. She was patient with me and let us take our time in making decisions....We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation...The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care....We did an embryo donation....When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I absolutely loved doctor shahine! She was patient and through with her information and very current with her knowledge. She was also Very compassionate. The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
I would go into the whole process with a open mind and a positive attitude - and I felt doctor shahine was good at fostering these.
We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation to confirm that we were st the best possible starting place to Give the most ultimum results. I had to have a Procedure to remove scar tissue which pushed back the transfer procedure but in the long run this was a great preventive step to avoid miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa )
When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process and even contacted us after our baby was born to follow up! She was incredible!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care. If you don't want to feel like a number being passed through a conveyer belt system PNW fertility if for you.
The ebryo transfer with medications was about 5k and then the procedure to remove scar tissue was about 1500$ after insurance.
I liked the fact that they promote single transfer - doctor Shahine's rational for it was that the risk didn't out weight the small chance of benefit. I being an older mom the risk of caring multiples to a full healthy term didn't justify the small percent bump of likely hood of implantation that you might get from transferring two.
Seattle

Met [Dr. Marshall] in both an exam room and a regular office, that made me feel more like human than just a body... My first visit was great, I felt like we had a gameplan and well taken care of. UPDATE: The gameplan played out exactly as she predicted...Started taking metformin (500 mg/day for first week, then bumped up to 1000 mg) Taking 5mg of Letrazole on days 3-7 (I was already doing this with previous OB) Ultrasound on day 13 with injection of 10,000 USP units/vial to induce ovulation
So far I think it's a great spot, I just wish they [Pacific NW] accepted my insurance (Bridgespan) but I think that's partly a ACA issue. I've felt very comfortable and well taken care of so far. Even my first experience with a blood draw was very pleasant with a friendly and knowledgeable phlebotomist...I was told they'd call me with my blood results but I ended up calling them a couple days after and they had the results ready...They were great, communicated all the information I needed and were very approachable.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It's great so far. Honestly, I'm just getting started after seeing my regular OB-GYN for about a year before seeking additional expertise. My first visit was great, I felt like we had a gameplan and well taken care of. UPDATE: The gameplan played out exactly as she predicted, after one failed cycle (I ovulated, but did not get a positive pregnancy test), I got pregnant on the second cycle and am currently 16 weeks along and everything looks good so far (hoping I didn't jinx it by counting it as "1 live birth" on a previous question).
Come prepared with lots of information.
Met in both an exam room and a regular office, that made me feel more like human than just a body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
So far I think it's a great spot, I just wish they accepted my insurance (Bridgespan) but I think that's partly a ACA issue. I've felt very comfortable and well taken care of so far. Even my first experience with a blood draw was very pleasant with a friendly and knowledgeable phlebotomist.
$295 for office visit/comprehensive exam $185 for pelvic ultrasound $135 for pregnyl shot through MRD pharmacy
not applicable as of now
Seattle

When meeting with Dr. Marshall I felt very confident in her knowledge. She has a gentle disposition and is able to clearly explain the process and procedures she recommended...Dr. Marshall's first treatment plan was to have me try Metformin as she explained that it sometimes helps patients with PCOS get pregnant naturally. My body didn't react well to the Metformin so she then had me start on Clomid with IUI. Her reason was that there is a better chance in conceiving with IUI versus naturally as the timing is exactly right. After 7 cycles of Clomid (and 6 IUIs) she recommended that we move forward with IVF.
I would say my clinic's [Pacific NW Fertility] greatest strength is their size. They are very small which makes you feel like you are more than a number. Everyone from the staff, nurses, and doctors and very friendly, understanding and nice. The biggest weakness, I would have to say, is communication. Sometimes there is a delay in hearing back from them if you email or call with question.Each IUI cycle (including meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and lab work) cost about $1,100 out of pocket - my insurance does not cover infertility medications or treatments. I was told that I can expect IVF to cost between $20,000 - $25,000
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
When meeting with Dr. Marshall I felt very confident in her knowledge. She has a gentle disposition and is able to clearly explain the process and procedures she recommended. I went to her after having a bad experience at another clinic and upon meeting her she put my mind at ease.
Expect to not see her at every visit.
I had previously gone to another clinic in my city where my treatment plan was confused with another patient's on more than one occasion. My previous doctor felt very cold and made promises that were unreasonable. As soon as I met with Dr. Marshall I felt like she cared about my husband and me and didn't try to make promises that couldn't be kept. All the staff at PNWF are so warm and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika Exkano)
I originally had another nurse when I first started my treatment at the clinic, but she was promoted and I was assigned a new one. My current nurse is very kind and compassionate and very friendly. She is also very helpful if I ever have any questions.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I would say my clinic's greatest strength is their size. They are very small which makes you feel like you are more than a number. Everyone from the staff, nurses, and doctors and very friendly, understanding and nice. The biggest weakness, I would have to say, is communication. Sometimes there is a delay in hearing back from them if you email or call with question.
Each IUI cycle (including meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and lab work) cost about $1,100 out of pocket - my insurance does not cover infertility medications or treatments. I was told that I can expect IVF to cost between $20,000 - $25,000.
I was told that my clinic likes to transfer single embryos; however, if we would like to transfer two we have that option. They would not transfer more than two.

2015 - 2017, Successful
I can't work with a doctor with zero sense of humor, especially about something so crazy as fertility treatment and IVF. I appreciated her [Dr. Lorna Marshall] openness to answering my questions and telling me what she was doing step by step. She'd take time to explain everything she was seeing on the ultrasound, which I appreciated. I learned a lot going through this process and she is open to taking a teacher approach, which is what I desire in a doctor. She also held my hand at one point before the egg retrieval and said, sincerely, "We want this to work for you." That meant a lot to me and made me cry (in a good way).
[Pacific NW Fertility] Strengths: Small, privately owned, competent, clean, high-tech, compassionate care team Weaknesses: Traffic getting across town sucks for multiple treatments Things to look for in a clinic: There should be no pictures of babies in the waiting room, no parenting magazines, and nothing to remind you of babies or children. If this is the case, you know that the staff is trying to maximize your psychological comfort. (Any woman in fertility treatment knows that seeing the giant bellies and all the baby posters at the OB's office is torture.) Even our nurse coordinator, who was pregnant, concealed her baby belly under her lab coat. Really considerate of her. Pay attention to how you're treated and whether your doctor or nurses remember your case when he/she sees you. At our first clinic, not this one, the doctor would be reading our chart while she was in front of us to try to remember who we were. The nurses at our last clinic got us confused with other couples. This did not happen at PNWF, thankfully! You do not have to put up with that kind of treatment!
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is competent and speaks clearly, though not necessarily an overly warm or gushing personality. My husband and I make a lot of jokes and she would often simply smile at us, and sometimes laugh a little, but not give a huge guffaw. (I call the vaginal ultrasound wand, "My old friend.") I thought we had a good, collaborative working relationship. I can't work with a doctor with zero sense of humor, especially about something so crazy as fertility treatment and IVF. I appreciated her openness to answering my questions and telling me what she was doing step by step. She'd take time to explain everything she was seeing on the ultrasound, which I appreciated. I learned a lot going through this process and she is open to taking a teacher approach, which is what I desire in a doctor. She also held my hand at one point before the egg retrieval and said, sincerely, "We want this to work for you." That meant a lot to me and made me cry (in a good way).
You really have to trust your doctor a whole lot during what may be the most vulnerable and stressful period of your life. This person is going to see you at your worst. Don't be afraid to switch doctors. We switched to Dr. Marshall from another doctor at another clinic. As with any doctor, speak up and advocate for your own care. Things do slip through the cracks and open communication is key. ...I still never fully got the hang of fertility treatment -- I was never fully comfortable with having to be a part of that system, though much of the struggle was in my own head. It's important to recognize in yourself when the doctor is really the problem, or the problem is within yourself. Conceiving a child is such a personal, magical thing -- and here you have to welcome strangers into the process. Eventually, with IVF, they will no longer be strangers but some of the people you see most often during the week. Fit is so important.
I have experiences with two clinics in Seattle and this was the far better of the two. The smaller clinic size meant that I got to know the nurses and doctors.
We had male factor infertility caused by cancer treatment. We used husband's frozen sperm. Treatment plan with this clinic was two IUIs, one of which resulted in miscarriage and another that didn't take. We'd had three IUI failures at a previous clinic, as well. Dr. Marshall encouraged us to continue with IUIs, but I was tired of failures and the imprecision with my irregular menstrual cycle -- so I made the case for IVF and Dr. Marshall agreed. This is important to note because the clinic makes a LOT more money off of an IVF patient than an IUI patient. And yet, Dr. Marshall did not push us to do IVF before we were ready, in fact, I was ready to take the next step and asked for IVF. It's important to have a doctor who sees you as a human being with hopes for a family, rather than a source of cash and profit.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
There was staff turnover for us because of maternity leave and retirements. The clinic was juggling a lot while also managing our care. I don't think our quality of care suffered.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
From memory: $5,000 - $10,000 out of pocket over the years $15,000 - $25,000 insurance over the years
We did genetic screening of our embryos, put one embryo in, and I am now seven months pregnant with an apparently healthy baby. The genetic screening cost about $2,500 out of pocket. This seems like a reasonable risk/reward for our family to minimize the chances of a failed transfer and to minimize the odds of multiples.
Seattle
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients....Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle... Dr. Marshall: Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch
Every time I've gone under anesthesia [at Pacific NW Fertility], I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.... I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a doctor friend of mine. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
You're smart to work with her. You can relax now.
Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle. Every time I've gone under anesthesia, I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients. Suppression with estradiol. Then a combination of Clomid, Follistim, and Omnitrope. I will need to confirm exact timing and doses.
We froze embryos after both cycles.
Lorna Marshall
Dr. Lamb seems to "know her stuff" very well and I felt like our treatment plan was tailored to our medical situation and results. I felt like she was genuinely rooting for us and in tune with the emotional side of going through these treatments and procedures. I am a numbers person and at times would have liked more precise percentages from her (e.g. likelihood of x happening) but I also know that data isn't always available.
We did a multicycle IVF plan [at Pacific NW Fertility] that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether...All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!..When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Take your time and come prepared with questions!
Dr. Lamb took her time during our appointments to answer all of the questions we had and was always empathetic, even at our first appointment when things got emotional.
I have DOR and we used an estrace lead in with no birth control suppression, followed by Follistim and miniHCG with Ganirelix added in just prior to expected retrieval. We had one canceled IVF cycle due to a dominant follicle (converted to IUI, which was unsuccessful) and our second cycle resulted in three eggs retrieved and fertilized. By day 5, only one remained and we did a fresh transfer that was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolf)
All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are very organized and always professional. When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent. The only downside for me was that parking gets pricey!
We did a multicycle IVF plan that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether.
My doctor did not have a strong opinion on one versus two embryo transfer, and was comfortable holding off on the decision until 1-2 days before transfer. She did talk with me about the pros and cons and provided information on the risks of multiples. We only had three embryos and just one made it to transfer on day 5, so the decision was made for us.

2010 - 2016, Successful
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
I think the clinic [PNW Fertility] has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.... I had a few [nurses], the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is very knowledgeable, and extremely caring. She explained the different steps, and walked me through what the options were. Once I was pregnant, I did feel a little rushed out of the clinic, but I figured that was because she was sure that everything was going well.
Write everything down.
She knew who I was, she asked about my other kids, she was kind, and very sympathetic.
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility.
I had a few, the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I think the clinic has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.
They were covered by insurance, so the total bill for the first pregnancy was about $12,000, but we only paid $1500. The embryo storage was $250/6 months. The second and third transfers were about $2500 each, again, partially covered by insurance.
She said she would let the embryologist decide one versus two based on the quality of the day, for the first transfer, and the embryologist said one. For the second and third transfers, I asked for a single embryo.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Lamb was cooperative in her approach, listening and integrating the recommendations of another doctor I had consulted with in another state. She was willing to order tests she normally does not and prescribed medication she normally does not because of the additional input I had brought to the table. This was essential for me. But I am not confident that if I had not received the out-of-state consultation, I would have been successful with just Dr. Lamb's recommendations.
Costs at the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet.... Friendly and professional front-desk staff; a clean and bright atmosphere; a generally warm attitude from all I interacted with. I had to be on top of my billing and regularly review charges as there were a couple of times when charges were done in error and one time when a test was done (and I was charged for it) when I explicitly asked that it not be done.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and be your own advocate, realizing that no one can help you as much as you can help yourself.
Dr. Lamb was warm, caring and understanding. She always referred to me by my preferred (nick) name and took the time to respond to all my questions.
IUIs with partner or donor sperm, following Letrozole on cycle days 3-7, ultrasound to confirm mature follicles, and ovulation-stimulating shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Julie's medical assistant at the time was Mary. She was somewhat erratic - very responsive at times and not very responsive at other times. She was always well-meaning and kind in person.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Costs at the clinic change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet. The clinic was good about referring me to a pharmacy where the drugs I needed were lower cost that typical.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
For my first IUI I was using a new ovulation checking kit that had been new to market so the medical assistant misinterpreted the information from the kit and scheduled the procedure a day too soon. They did comp me for the procedure and repeated it the following day. There was a time when my prescription had not been called in on time so I had to scramble with phone calls before picking it up (cycles don't wait!).

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Lamb customized her plan to my body. For every setback we had, she had a new idea for something to try. This made me feel like she was taking care of me and not just following a standard formula for fertility care...Dr. Lamb is an exceptional physician. She is honest, compassionate, and extremely bright. My situation was somewhat unique, and she continued to correct the course of treatment to try to improve outcomes. She is blunt, which I really appreciated.
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's...My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy...For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is an exceptional physician. She is honest, compassionate, and extremely bright. My situation was somewhat unique, and she continued to correct the course of treatment to try to improve outcomes. She is blunt, which I really appreciated. I think the number one rule to survive years of fertility treatments is to manage expectations. Dr. Lamb does that beautifully.
Prepare for honesty. She does not sugar coat. Do your homework and come prepared with questions.
We started with a "standard" IVF (although she had to adjust my dose of Follistim mid-course to higher levels). She retrieved 25 eggs but only 3 were mature and fertilized (only 1 grew to 5 days and was chromosomally normal). To increase the number of mature eggs the second IVF, she modified the protocol to change the timing of my trigger shot and start with a higher Follistim dose. That resulted in fewer total eggs retrieved but 12 were mature and fertilized (resulting in 6 that grew out to 5 days and were chromosomally normal). I have done a total of 5 FETs. We started with a standard FET cycle which didn't work. The second time she modified the dose of estrogen. Then we took a break (I did a uterine biopsy which showed evidence of endometriosis; my sample was sent to Bruce Lessy and I am lacking some receptor (beta-something...it's been a while so I forgot the name). I then did 3 months of once monthly Lupron injections to "re-set". I had 2 FETs after that which did not work, even though we did adjust a few things along the way. Finally my fifth FET we did a "natural" cycle where I ovulated via letrozole. I ended up pregnant with the FET embryo and a new one because we did not listen to Dr. Lamb and had sex during the FET cycle. So I had twins (it was an eSET so they knew that the second one was because I had ovulated and had sex. Oops). Joke was on us because I miscarried at 9 weeks. Because I had gotten pregnant on my own, Dr. Lamb wanted to preserve the last two frozen embryos I had and instead go back to basics: Letrozole and timed intercourse. The first month that didn't work but the second month it work. And I had a healthy baby boy in Sept 2016. Long story short...2 IVFs and 5 embryo transfers over the course of 4 years and I got pregnant with Letrozole and old fashioned sex. But I have no doubt that all the things Dr. Lamb did along the way primed my body for pregnancy. Even though I don't remember everything we did, she adjusted the course every single FET to try something new.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda Lloyd)
Melinda, who has since retired, was amazing. She was prompt and always returned my calls. She set up calls with Dr. Lamb as needed or when she couldn't answer my questions. I felt so well cared for with Melinda as my point person.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's. I think some women want the docs to do everything, but that's not a sustainable model. My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy.
For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications. Anesthesia was billed separately and was usually in the range of $700.
This is one of the reasons I love Dr. Lamb. She feels pretty strongly about eSET which I agree with. My sister did fertility treatments in NYC and those docs are like cowboys. They love pushing multiple embryo transfers. And why? Twins are hard on the mom and the fetuses. It's so risky!! Dr. Lamb feels this way as well. She is concerned about a patient's health in addition to fertility desires.
Seattle

Dr. Lamb was very informative on my first visit letting me know what to expect; however, on subsequent visits her answers were not always consistent. She did not always recall my past history or family planning goals we had previously discussed. With that being said, she was very friendly and appointments never felt rushed. And really, I cannot complain because in the end the IVF was successful on my first attempt.
Loved this clinic [Pacific NW Fertility]! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Be your own advocate. Ask questions on each visit and be prepared to gently remind her/staff of your history and goals.
While they were very friendly most of the time, there were moments when I had to remind them of my history details and things/wishes we had discussed at prior appointments.
Eek-I can't recall this. A lot of meds-it is all kept me of a blur now. They did make me a calendar to give me specific instructions and keep me organized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie)
Kallie was was extremely friendly and easy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Loved this clinic! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
Total cost for everything including meds, one IVF freeze all cycle, embryo transfer cycle, genetic testing of both my husband and I, embryo genetic testing, etc. totaled about $35,000.
PNWFertility places emphasis on ONE and I am behind this philosophy. They did ask me if I would like to transfer 2, giving me the option based on my specific circumstances. However, they still highly recommended just transferringnone which is what I decided.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr Lorna Marshall] takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns....Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life.
Such a convenient location! [Pacific Northwest Fertility in Seattle is] only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus....Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge)....There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns.
Ask lots of questions. Write things down so you don't forget the little details.
Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life. I am an RN at a nearby trauma hospital and we have talked a bit about that as well. Dr Marshall is encouraging and optimistic and enthusiastic and she has me convinced that we can make this thing work!
2013 egg retrieval before chemo: Menopur/Follistim/Ganirelix and HCG trigger. I was 35 years old and we got 11 eggs. 8 made it to freeze as embryos at day 3; 2 made it to day 5 freeze (in 2015), and one of those was found to be chromosomally normal after PGS testing. The remaining embryo has the genetic mutation that caused my cancer, so we are currently doing a second egg retrieval in one more shot to try for a baby without this mutation hanging over their head. Based on my AMH and FSH levels, Dr Marshall actually recommended against doing another egg retrieval when we first asked. But when we decided that we wanted to try even though there was a higher chance of failure, she worked with us full force. We are pulling out all the big guns on this one: 4mg Estrace x12 days, then 100mg Clomid x5 days; 150mg Menopur; 300IU Follistim. Will start Ganirelix once follicles are ready, and will have an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda and Adriana)
Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge). Melinda is good about letting me know when she won't be in the office, so I know to ask for her backup coordinator when I call. She even went to bat for me (along with Dr Marshall) to get the clinic to offer me the cancer rate discount, even though this second egg retrieval is happening AFTER my chemo/treatment.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Such a convenient location! Only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus.
It was about $9500 for our initial egg retrieval in 2013 (with a cancer patient discount and meds paid for through another cancer patient fund); in 2015, it was $4850 for PGD; $1k for PGS; $4500 for embryo biopsying and sending samples to the genetics company; it will be $11800 for this next round of egg retrieval, including ICSI (currently doing injections for this); I paid $5184 for my meds this time around. Another $1800 for biopsies to send for PGS and PGD; $3865 for FET, plus the cost of meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality we didn't have our results back until late January 2016. It would have been less frustrating if this longer timeline possibility had been made clear at the very beginning.

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a fantastic clinic. Everyone on the staff clearly takes the "customer service" part of their job very seriously. The front desk staff, the nurses, the phlebotomists...everyone there is polite and makes you feel comfortable. I've always been seen promptly and the one time I had to wait, I was given snacks, water and magazines. I appreciate their attention to detail and their focus on positive patient experiences.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is the best doctor I've ever worked with. She is competent, experienced, honest, compassionate and open minded. We came to her clinic because of male factor issues and after a terrible experience at another fertility clinic that left me hospitalized for 8 days with severe OHSS. After throughly reviewing my history, Dr. Shahine developed a treatment plan that would minimize my risk of hyperstimulating again while still recruiting plenty of eggs. Her plan worked, we had a great retrieval and my discomfort was very minimal. She and her team checked in on me frequently after my retrieval to make sure my recovery was going well. We have not yet had success with any of our frozen transfers, but I only attribute this to us just being on the wrong side of luck so far and I'm confident things will work out soon. Through all of the ups and down, Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility have been attentive, compassionate and encouraging. Dr. Shahine has even called me personally on many occasions to answer my questions and reassure me that we are moving forward in the right direction. She is hopeful, yet honest; frank yet sensitive and I would recommend her to anyone seeking help in their fertility journey.
If things don't work out right away, don't despair, stay the course. The infertility journey is often longer than any of us would hope or imagine but you are in good hands with Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility.
Definitely like a human. Dr. Shahine is incredibly knowledgeable on all aspects of fertility treatments and I always felt confident in her ability to assess our situation and come up with a proper treatment plan. We've had some bad luck during our infertility journey and Dr. Shahine has been there every step of the way(including calling me personally and letting me talk her ear off for nearly an hour!) to make us feel supported and to provide encouragement to stick with it.
Seattle
She [Dr. Lamb] gave me the choice to do a natural FET instead of medicated, but also provided full pros/cons of each. I never questioned my treatment protocol with her and after PGS we ended up with 2 healthy embryos. First FET and we got the good news we were pregnant! Although we were really hoping for more embryos, this was actually exactly what Dr. Lamb had predicted for me (hence the earlier recommendation for multiple cycles).
Kallie [nurse at Pacific NW Fertility] was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification...We did a freeze all cycle, ICSI, PGS, and then a FET. Total cost for everything including meds was just under $30K...This clinic is run like a well oiled machine-from the scheduling, to the lab draws in the same office, finer desk, back desk, financial coordinator, nurses, doctors-they know what they’re doing and it shows. Excellent communication between everyone on staff to keep visits running seamlessly and minimize the time you spend waiting.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very honest with me about my chances to conceive through IVF. She was up front and suggesting we do a freeze all and multiple IVF cycles to try and get all my embryos now due to our goal of a large family and already being 35. Unfortunately, however, we just didn’t have the finances to do more than one cycle. This was a tough realization and she showed compassion when it brought me to tears that we had to cross our fingers and pray for the best with this one cycle. She gave me the choice to do a natural FET instead of medicated, but also provided full pros/cons of each. I never questioned my treatment protocol with her and after PGS we ended up with 2 healthy embryos. First FET and we got the good news we were pregnant! Although we were really hoping for more embryos, this was actually exactly what Dr. Lamb had predicted for me (hence the earlier recommendation for multiple cycles).
Be direct and go prepared with questions.
Dr. Lamb and Kallie were very personable and made attempts to get know me. I am naturally introverted, but they made it easy to open up about our family planning goals and the goal of having a large family despite starting at age 35
I don’t recall
Kallie was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb and the entire PNW fertility clinic very much advocate for single embryo transfers. They gave me the choice to do 2, but provided a very educated pros/cons of 1 vs 2.
2012 - 2016, Successful
When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she [Dr. Lora Shahine] recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back...She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough.
The phone scheduling staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood...About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle...Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails...After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough. When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back.
Choose a doctor that is a good fit for you. Dr Shahine was amazing and I felt truly blessed to have her on my journey.
She genuinely cared about how I felt through the process and was honest about the expectations. She shared in our joy and excitement during pregnancy.
After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose. We did a low dose medication cycle that my body responded well too and got 16 amazing quality embryos. 1st transfer of 1 embryo resulted in pregnancy. 4 years later we used another frozen embryo from same cycle and were successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails. Probably just a personality conflict.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The phone scheduling staff is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood
About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle
It was our decision and she said it was up to us. My husband wasn't on board for twins so we did one