9.7

Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104
206.515.0000

Dr Shahine was always prepared for our meetings. ...Due to DOR, age, family goals, and history of repeat pregnancy loses she gave us timeline of ~6 months to try this intervention if we had the energy for it and then suggested we move onto IVF. IVF would allow us best chance of success and also allow us to test for chromosomal abnormalities to dec risk of repeat miscarriage. ...
Their office [Pacific NW Fertility] can be difficult to find your first time or two to the clinic as signage is poor in the towers so it is tricky if you can't remember what floor to go to and what tower you should be in. ... Primary nurse, Michelle was organized with timelines and calendars of appointments, lab work, etc. ... There office staff is always very professional. All appointments have been on time. The office is always very clean.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine was always prepared for our meetings. What sets her apart from other physicians, is that she engaged both my husband and I in the conversation. This helped her to gauge our individual personalities, emotions, and learning styles in order to know how to best present information to us which often meant in 2 various styles - 1 that worked better for my husband, and one that worked better for me. Dr Shahine quickly read that I needed to process information in an evidence based method. She presented me with the most incredible resource (a book she authored on miscarriage and repeat pregnancy loss) and was able to factually support her decision making process. I have had repeat pregnancy loses and was seen by more provider than I can count. Other providers would dance around my questions regarding miscarriage whereas Dr Shahine was genuinely empathetic but provided me with evidence based research for what things may be linked to miscarriage. This helped my brain process information and felt like I had some control. The control to me was knowledge. I am the person that needs to know the "but why", and she always delivered the answers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Write down all your questions in advance of your meeting with her. She will notice your list of questions and allow you time to ask every question you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine always is very warm in her welcome. She genuinely listens to your concerns and shares in your heartbreak without rushing you or showing signs of being uncomfortable. She allows you to process and talk through your emotions which I believe helped her guide her decision making process with us. When asking to share her reasons in her decision making process she presents pros and cons and always cites examples we have given in relation to our "feelings".
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Lora Shahine took over my care after other physicians left the practice thus I was already on a regimented protocol that she agreed with so we did not need to make any adjustments. At that time I was taking Femera on days 3-7 of my cycle, with ultrasound monitoring appointments to ensure the mature eggs where on the side in which my Fallopian tube was not blocked to ensure best change at success, when the follicle measured the correct size I would have a trigger injection with IUI within 36 hours. Due to DOR, age, family goals, and history of repeat pregnancy loses she gave us timeline of ~6 months to try this intervention if we had the energy for it and then suggested we move onto IVF. IVF would allow us best chance of success and also allow us to test for chromosomal abnormalities to dec risk of repeat miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Primary nurse, Michelle was organized with timelines and calendars of appointments, lab work, etc. They recently moved to a model to have a "care team" which they believe allows for improved communication time. I have not been as impressed with others on the care team as they do not seem to be as informed on my particular case and give insufficient answers to my questions (they do not address all questions asked) and often contradict what the primary nurse and MD's plan was which makes it frustrating. I feel most confident when Michelle answers my questions. I also have never met the other care providers so I believe without a face to face meeting they may treat me more as a number vs human
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are open 7 days a week. The first appointment may take a while to get however once you are an established patient it is very easy to make appointments when needed. There office staff is always very professional. All appointments have been on time. The office is always very clean. Their office can be difficult to find your first time or two to the clinic as signage is poor in the towers so it is tricky if you can't remember what floor to go to and what tower you should be in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
My insurance does cover some expenses however many things, especially medications are cash pay only despite insurance saying they cover fertility benefits.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
We have not yet fully discussed this with MD thus can not provide information on this at this time.
Seattle

Overall, it felt like like this doctor [Dr. Broughton] did not care about me as a person. ... This doctor did not treat calls - such as my call reporting my miscarriage - with a sense of urgency. ... She didn’t feel present with regards to my treatment, she didn’t return my calls in a timely manner, my treatment plan was the same month after month. When I wanted to find out a timeline to resume treatment post miscarriage, I only seemed to get calls back re things that could be sold to me.
Communication is the greatest weakness of this clinic [Pacific NW Fertility]. They clinic also charges a premium price for a decidedly not premium patient experience. The doctor came up with one plan and that was the only plan. No revaluing each month, no connecting with me on the plan. Just this is what we are doing. ... The clinic did not send my medical records to my new clinic as requested. When they send them to me, they included inaccurate information re conversations that we had. I kept getting new bills many months after I had moved on to a new clinic. Not certain why their billing is not more streamlined.
How was your experience with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
Overall, it felt like like this doctor did not care about me as a person. She didn’t feel present with regards to my treatment, she didn’t return my calls in a timely manner, my treatment plan was the same month after month. When I wanted to find out a timeline to resume treatment post miscarriage, I only seemed to get calls back re things that could be sold to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
You will need to advocate strongly for yourself if you don’t feel confident in your treatment plan; I didn’t feel like she was engaged with mine, personally. Set expectations re communication- her perception of an appropriate response time might not align with yours (it certainly did not with mine)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
This doctor did not treat calls - such as my call reporting my miscarriage - with a sense of urgency. Doctors that I had never called called me about my miscarriage prior to Dr. Broughton - literally the only doctor I called.
Describe the protocols Darcy Broughton used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Letrozole. Triggered basically the same time each month though my cycles are variable (and my current doctor does not).
Nurses were OK.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Communication is the greatest weakness of this clinic. They clinic also charges a premium price for a decidedly not premium patient experience. The doctor came up with one plan and that was the only plan. No revaluing each month, no connecting with me on the plan. Just this is what we are doing.
Describe Darcy Broughton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Darcy Broughton

2019, Consult
When she quickly realized the proper information was not yet conveyed to us, she took the time to explain what the number meant, drew visuals so the results made more sense. She presented the options and her recommendations. Dr. Marshall answered all of our questions...She gave us the opportunity to ask more follow-up questions and responded in a timely manner. She offered follow-up resources to assist us in processing.
The entire [Pacific NW Fertility] staff was welcoming and warm. Each interaction made you feel as if you truly mattered as an individual. There are many options for appointment times. The appointments were on time and you are not left waiting for hours...Initial Appointment-$386.00 Testing - AMH-$88.00 E2-$85.00 FSH-$80.00 Follicular Monitoring-$190.00 Venipuncture-$26.00 Follow-up Appointment-$196.00
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
We met for a consult and updated testing. When we arrived for the results, she had thought the office had provided us the results and what the results met prior to meeting. When she quickly realized the proper information was not yet conveyed to us, she took the time to explain what the number meant, drew visuals so the results made more sense. She presented the options and her recommendations. Dr. Marshall answered all of our questions. It definitely is not the news you want to get as a patient trying to conceive. She was honest and allowed us the space to show emotions. I appreciated her candid honesty. She gave us the opportunity to ask more follow-up questions and responded in a timely manner. She offered follow-up resources to assist us in processing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is very experienced and has knowledge to share that is truly valuable. Be candid with you concerns . I was very impressed with her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
From the moment we met Dr. Marshall she was warm and friendly. Took the time to explain all of our options, testing, support from the entire team. WE met with 3 different team members that provided us with options, pricing, counseling and overall support. Our situation is very difficult and she gave us the time and space to digest the information and leave the door open.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Consult and testing only
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holly Madsen )
My interactions we limited given a consult only. She provided complete information on transferring my partners vials from the previous fertility clinic in another state.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The entire staff was welcoming and warm. Each interaction made you feel as if you truly mattered as an individual. There are many options for appointment times. The appointments were on time and you are not left waiting for hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
The results were conveyed just not interpreted as to what the results meant prior to the appointment.
2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Julie Lamb] took the time to talk to me and really listened. She went out of her way to help me fulfill my dream of being pregnant by Christmas. She also celebrated small wins along the way. And for times when my numbers weren’t great she stayed optimistic yet realistic. She was positive and caring...has a very sunshiny demeanor. She is very intelligent and treated me with respect, taking the time to explain everything. She let me direct things and helped guide decisions that were right for me. She was the perfect blend of candid and caring. She made a scary process almost fun. She even held my hand before each egg retrieval as I went to sleep.
She [nurse at Pacific NW Fertility] was SO ORGANIZED and took a lot of stress out of the process. She also taught me to do injections and made me feel like a pro...I paid about $15000 per round... They work with you financially. You get personal treatment. You feel like a human. The main blood draw person is so good at it too. The front desk people are fast and have it together...First round went better than expected with 8 eggs and 4 embryos but only one passed the genetic screening.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Lamb has a very sunshiny demeanor. She is very intelligent and treated me with respect, taking the time to explain everything. She let me direct things and helped guide decisions that were right for me. She was the perfect blend of candid and caring. She made a scary process almost fun. She even held my hand before each egg retrieval as I went to sleep.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Schedule in advance because she books up fast!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
She took the time to talk to me and really listened. She went out of her way to help me fulfill my dream of being pregnant by Christmas. She also celebrated small wins along the way. And for times when my numbers weren’t great she stayed optimistic yet realistic. She was positive and caring.
Describe the protocols Julie Lamb used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I ended up with a very low AMH so she said to plan for 3-4 IVF cycles which was more than I had originally anticipated. I wanted to freeze some embryos and some eggs. First round went better than expected with 8 eggs and 4 embryos but only one passed the genetic screening. Next round we kept the same plan and I got one more healthy embryo. We decided to do a couple more rounds for eggs - I was using a friend sperm donor and didn’t know if I would have a husband in the future. I froze 11 eggs. We decided to try a FET for one embryo and if it didn’t work I would do another round of IVF but it worked and I got my Christmas miracle. She even came out to the waiting room to give me a hug when I was there for the blood test to confirm pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Call)
Danielle was the best nurse I have ever had. She was SO ORGANIZED and took a lot of stress out of the process. She also taught me to do injections and made me feel like a pro. She was so encouraging, caring, and positive. Also smart and knowledgeable. Nursing perfection.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are great. Detail oriented. They work with you financially. You get personal treatment. You feel like a human. The main blood draw person is so good at it too. The front desk people are fast and have it together.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility.
I paid about $15000 per round
Describe Julie Lamb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
I knew I only wanted her to put one in. I had already genetically tested them. She recommended the same so it wasn’t even much of a discussion.
Seattle

Dr. Shahine clearly knows her stuff, and she’s wonderful to speak with about treatment options and everything that goes along with it. That said, as a patient, you primarily speak only with her nurses. She is not accessible to patients and, when dealing with infertility, that can be tough. Other than that, though, this doctor is optimistic, compassionate, intelligent, and definitely knows what she’s doing. Would definitely recommend overall.
The facility [Pacific NW Fertility] is nice, the doctors are smart and competent, the nurses are mostly responsive. It is the only fertility clinic I’ve ever been to, but I trust that they will do their best and provide me with the best possible outcome!... as a patient, you primarily speak only with her [Dr. Shahine's] nurses. She is not accessible to patients and, when dealing with infertility, that can be tough
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Be prepared to ask ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS when you see her because it’s unlikely that you’ll get another chance!
We tried one (failed) medicated IUI, although it turned out that even the trigger shot didn’t work. About to start our first IVF cycle!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The facility is nice, the doctors are smart and competent, the nurses are mostly responsive. It is the only fertility clinic I’ve ever been to, but I trust that they will do their best and provide me with the best possible outcome!
All costs are out of pocket for us, so we’re about the hand over about $23k to the clinic plus $3k for meds.
She will inform you of statistics and her recommendation, but will ultimately let you make your own decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Just that my trigger shot failed for our IUI and that possibility was not discussed prior, monitored during, or discussed after the failed cycle.
Seattle

I definitely felt like Dr Shahine cared about my treatment and about being completely honest and open about my chances and the possible routes I could take at my age. Though she did push me to consider IUI and IVF ASAP, I opted to go the natural route for awhile (acupuncture and supplements) before deciding to finally try IUI. Dr Shahine did lay out realistic expectations for me.
There's a bit of a cattle-call feeling [at Pacific NW Fertility] with all the women in the clinic coming and going, but I understand that goes with the industry. Everyone is nice and courteous and I was never made to feel less than human, however. Fertility struggles can feel invasive and embarrassing but the clinic does everything right in making you feel at ease.... Michelle (and De Shahine's whole team) was fantastic; she's available by email and took the time to explain many things and answer all my questions. She's also very personable and warm.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
No question is a dumb question! Come prepared with all of your questions and she will answer honestly and realistically, but in a caring way.
Dr Shahine is very warm and creates a feeling of openness and honesty, which I appreciated. She also took the time to get to know me and asked many questions. Her nurses are fantastic as well!
I'm on my first IUI and have used Femara on cycle days 3-7 and then had an HCG trigger shot on day 13. It still remains to be seen if it was successful.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
There's a bit of a cattle-call feeling with all the women in the clinic coming and going, but I understand that goes with the industry. Everyone is nice and courteous and I was never made to feel less than human, however. Fertility struggles can feel invasive and embarrassing but the clinic does everything right in making you feel at ease.
So far probably around $1000
Seattle

Dr. Lamb is simply the best! She’s so compassionate and knowledgeable. We felt like we were in wonderful hands our whole way through the tough process and deeply trusted her plan of care. Highly recommended!! ... Dr. Lamb and her nursing team [PNWF] are amazing! Everyone is so kind and helpful. ... Dr. Lamb encourages transferring one embryo but allowed us to choose to transfer two.
Everything was truly wonderful and we would recommend PNWF again and again. All the providers and staff are so caring and we always felt welcomed. We are still receiving care but feel optimistic that we will have a good outcome. ... Dr. Lamb’s team of nurses were vital to our experience. They were always helpful and responsive and we really enjoyed working with them.
Be patient.
Dr. Lamb and her nursing team are amazing! Everyone is so kind and helpful.
Our first cycle consisted of an egg retrieval and frozen transfer because we wanted to genetically test the embryos. Unfortunately, two frozen transfers of two embryos each time resulted in miscarriages at six and eight weeks. We are now gearing up for a fresh transfer after our second retrieval last week!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
We were lucky to have insurance and spent about $10K after two cycles.
Seattle

Dr Lamb was kind and compassionate, she answered all of our questions. She also addressed the emotional side of infertility in the best way I have ever experienced in a firtility clinic. It was very therapeutic. However, she didn't inform us how the billing for the visit worked, so we kept talk which we otherwise would have limited.... She advised eSET and would only do a 2 embryo transfer is we requested it, but they advised against it.
They [Pacific NW Fertility-Seattle] have multiple locations, they were kind and clean. They seemed culturally competent. We felt welcomed. They were not all sensitive, one MA was asking me about how many kids I had to compare birth stories, which is not what I would expect to be asked in a firtility clinic.... They [the nurses] replied quickly to requests and questions. They could be more personal and warm in their interaction.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Prepare your questions before hand and make sure you understand the financial part of it too.
I felt that the care was personal and my emotional state was acknowledged. I felt heard and respected.
Most of it was communicate to us by the RN and ARNP. We used a higher dose of letrozole during the IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
They replied quickly to requests and questions. They could be more personal and warm in their interaction.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They have multiple locations, they were kind and clean. They seemed culturally competent. We felt welcomed. They were not all sensitive, one MA was asking me about how many kids I had to compare birth stories, which is not what I would expect to be asked in a firtility clinic.
A little higher than average for the area.
Seattle

Dr. Stephanie Rothenberg made us feel comfortable and supported. She is very knowledgable and has a great balance in a warm but also direct approach. Her strength was explaining our options and not pressuring us. We felt discouraged when it came to cost, risks and % of treatment working but this is not her fault. A follow up might have been nice to see how they can support us in decision making.
The only weakness I can think of about this [Pacific NW Fertility] clinic is the costs seem to be slightly above average (after doing some research) but everything else was near perfect. The environment and team is exactly what you would want in an infertility setting...The team that supported me during the HSG team was amazing..
How was your experience with Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
To trust her, she is good. But also maybe to check with other clinics that may be more affordable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Rothenberg at Pacific NW Fertility?
She was warm and considerate and appeared to care about the future of our family. The staff was similar. However, due to financial restraints, we still have not followed through on treatment and we have never heard back from them, not a check-in or anything, which then kind of made me feel like a number.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Rothenberg used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We did an HSG to see if my fallopian tubes are functioning okay. She recommended 3 IUIs and then IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
The team that supported me during the HSG team was amazing, I was so grateful for their support that day. The curse that walked us through procedure details after our first consultation was too upbeat for my liking considering the circumstances of our situation.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The only weakness I can think of about this clinic is the costs seem to be slightly above average (after doing some research) but everything else was near perfect. The environment and team is exactly what you would want in an infertility setting.
Stephanie Rothenberg

2019, Consult
She [Dr. Shahine] is happy to talk through any questions or concerns you may have...She took the time to get to know us--why we moved to Seattle, what we do for work, etc. She was approachable, friendly, and authentic. Also, when we saw her at the Footsteps for Fertility 5K the next day, she ran over and gave us big hugs. It's clear she truly cares about her patients... During our consultation appointment, we felt as though she met us where we were, explained our options thoroughly, and gave us hope that IVF could work for us. She exceeded all expectations, and we're looking forward to starting this process with her.
They [Pacific NW Fertility] are organized, friendly, and professional. I will say that I haven't had a ton of appointments yet, so I don't have much to critique. My only interactions that haven't been totally positive have been with some front desk staff that seemed a little confused, but I mostly think it's because I've interfaced with some new folks...She [nurse] was very real with me about my previous AMH score and diagnosis. She let me know that they needed to test to see whether IVF would be the right path for me, because some with DOR won't get good results. Given my new AMH (it went up by quite a bit), the other blood tests, and my ultrasound, I received positive encouragement. But I believe the nurse and doctor would have directed me to another path if they thought I wasn't a good candidate for IVF.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
We're just starting to work with Dr. Shahine. During our consultation appointment, we felt as though she met us where we were, explained our options thoroughly, and gave us hope that IVF could work for us. She exceeded all expectations, and we're looking forward to starting this process with her.
Come with questions. She is happy to talk through any questions or concerns you may have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea Reed)
She was very real with me about my previous AMH score and diagnosis. She let me know that they needed to test to see whether IVF would be the right path for me, because some with DOR won't get good results. Given my new AMH (it went up by quite a bit), the other blood tests, and my ultrasound, I received positive encouragement. But I believe the nurse and doctor would have directed me to another path if they thought I wasn't a good candidate for IVF.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are organized, friendly, and professional. I will say that I haven't had a ton of appointments yet, so I don't have much to critique. My only interactions that haven't been totally positive have been with some front desk staff that seemed a little confused, but I mostly think it's because I've interfaced with some new folks.
We are just getting started. I will say that I was impressed that some of the tests were covered by insurance. I thought all fertility work was not covered, but they were able to keep our costs down for testing. However, I know we're about to spend a huge chunk of change on our first round of IVF. Dr. Shahine gave us options to apply for grants, but other than that, we're going to be stuck with a very significant bill.
Seattle

She [Dr. Marshall] is clear in explaining her process, but there is little room for a patient to work with her on your plan of care. She is also quite defensive when questions are asked, as if she is offended. Overall, I felt pretty disheartened by our meeting together. ... She has obviously been working in the field for a long time. Our consultation was clear and direct, but when I ask any clarifying questions she appeared defensive, like it wasn't my job to speak up and ask questions.
It [Pacific NW Fertility] is a top notch clinic, with great outcomes. It was always clean and professional. It was also extremely expensive. Sometimes it was hard to figure out the chain of communication and hard to get a direct line to anyone. ... Chelsea was amazing. She has a great way of explaining options and including a personal communication style with research. We stayed at the clinic for her services and were sad to leave her when we transferred care.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is clear in explaining her process, but there is little room for a patient to work with her on your plan of care. She is also quite defensive when questions are asked, as if she is offended. Overall, I felt pretty disheartened by our meeting together.
If you want to just have someone take the wheel, this is your doctor. If you want to explore options with a doctor, she is probably not the best fit. However, her nurses are incredible and you won't see her much, so it could be a good fit for some folx.
We did a consultation for IVF and she managed our IUI inseminations using Letrozole. She planned our IVF cycle with only PGS testing embryos. The clinic does not do, as far as I can tell, any fresh transfers.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It is a top notch clinic, with great outcomes. It was always clean and professional. It was also extremely expensive. Sometimes it was hard to figure out the chain of communication and hard to get a direct line to anyone.
It was about $300 for an IVF consultation, however IVF for one retrieval was quoted at just over 30K, with no discounts for self-pay clients. They also looked flabbergasted when we asked for an LGBTQ grants.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
For some reason only part of my medical record was sent to the new clinic when we changed providers.
Seattle

Dr. Broughton is always warm and friendly at appointments, but she senses if you are feeling worried or upset and is sympathetic.... Since we just have one embryo, Dr. Broughton recommended an ERA test (mock transfer cycle where a biopsy of the uterine lining is done) before we move forward with the actual FET.... Don't expect to see her at every appointment. I was also surprised that she was not the doctor that performed my egg retrieval.
I've been with the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] for about 2 years now (sigh) and have been pleased with the service. I feel like everyone is doing all they can to help you. I've heard this clinic is on the expensive side, but it is convenient to my work... Everyone on the nursing team was friendly and in a way more helpful than the doctors since they are the ones teaching you how to administer meds, scheduling, etc.
How was your experience with Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility?
I began seeing Dr. Broughton after Dr. Swelstad left the clinic (I liked him too and sad that he left). This was during my treatment after failed IUIs and we were ready to start considering IVF as the next step. My first impression was she was very warm and cheerful and seemed genuine. (I've had other doctors that have a robotic/fake friendly personality and this was not the case with Dr. Broughton). Although, I liked Dr. Swelstad (male), I felt I could be more open with Dr. Broughton. I haven't felt pressured to do any of the various treatment options and she always takes time to answer questions. For example, when my husband and I were trying to decide if we wanted to do ICSI vs. traditional IVF, she was clear about the probable outcome but didn't push one way or the other in our case. I am still in treatment with Dr. Broughton (awaiting FET).
Don't expect to see her at every appointment. I was also surprised that she was not the doctor that performed my egg retrieval. I was not bothered by this, but some might. Personally, I thought it was interesting to see what the other doctors at the clinic were like.
I have unexplained infertility so I assume I'm on the standard IVF protocol. During my stim cycle (for egg retrieval), things were moving along on the slower side. About halfway through, she decided to increase Follistim to the highest dosage (450) and I continued stimulation for 14 days (longer than average). I did end up getting 20 eggs, but the process ended with only one embryo suitable for transfer. Dr. Broughton recommended another round of IVF to try for more embryos, and although this I what I would like to do, I cannot afford that option. Since we just have one embryo, Dr. Broughton recommended an ERA test (mock transfer cycle where a biopsy of the uterine lining is done) before we move forward with the actual FET. We are about to begin the ERA cycle in the next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amber and Linda)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
My OB/GYN recommended this clinic, so I didn't do any research before choosing PNWF. Also, since I didn't have a particular doctor I wanted to see, I got in for a first appointment fairly quick. I've been with the clinic for about 2 years now (sigh) and have been pleased with the service. I feel like everyone is doing all they can to help you. I've heard this clinic is on the expensive side, but it is convenient to my work (which is extremely helpful when you have tons of appointments) and I'm happy I decided to go to PNWF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Darcy Broughton at Pacific NW Fertility.
In my situation, I've had to pay about 95% out of pocket. A small portion of some of the various tests were covered by my insurance. An IUI is about $400, not including meds (I think I spent about $500 per cycle on meds). One cycle of IVF is about 19k and genetic testing on the embryos is about 4k. This does not include medications for the IVF cycle, which were about 6k. The FET is about 5k, with about $500 in medications. Considering all these treatments, plus the various tests, I would say I've easily spent 30k, and I haven't even had a transfer yet.
We only have one embryo so this is not applicable.
Darcy Broughton

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Lamb has clear strategies for treatment, and navigates the often emotional roller coaster of fertility treatments with care and support. We have done several IUIs and meet at various intervals with her to discuss next steps. She is always encouraging and positive, helping keep our spirits up while being clear about the areas for growth. We feel so lucky to have met her and the whole PNWF team!
We have loved PNWF and have had a great experience. From the front desk staff, to the nurses and doctors, everyone is supportive and on top of all the details. It can be hard to get in as a new patient, so I recommend getting on the waitlist if you’re wanting to be seen sooner than 3 months out.... I cannot day enough positive things about working with Michelle! She is detailed, kind, supportive, and goes above and beyond to support her patients. She is a powerful support for Team Lamb!
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
It can be hard to get an appointment, as she books several months out- get on the waitlist and you may get squeezed in earlier!
Dr. Lamb is personable, kind, knowledgeable, and tailors her approach to each patient. She is warm and clear, giving encouragement and support in a data-driven, personable way.
We have done 5 IUIs, resulting in 1 biochemical pregnancy, one ectopic pregnancy, and three negative pregnancy tests. Each cycle was unique and different, varying the doses of Letrazole tablets or Folustim injections, and combined with a trigger shot to find the perfect combination.
$3500 for 5 IUIs plus medication
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
With a nursing switchover, some information was lost in transition.
Seattle
[Dr. Lora Shahine is a] Strong communicator, compassionate and understanding while also not beating around the bush. Only disappointing thing was BMI cutoffs for egg retrieval, BMI is not a reliable indicator for health so not happy that the clinic uses a BMI cut off for any health decisions... Had many personal interactions with Dr Shahine and her staff, especially during my second miscarriage.
It’s Hard to get in [at Pacific NW Fertility- Seattle]. The Docs are busy and scheduled out. I had to wait several months after my initial appt to have a follow-up. The have an In-house lab, which makes lab work easy and you get very fast results.... Had many personal interactions with Dr Shahine and her staff, especially during my second miscarriage... Book early. It will probably take a couple months to get in
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Book early. It will probably take a couple months to get in
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It’s Hard to get in. The Docs are busy and scheduled out. I had to wait several months after my initial appt to have a follow-up. The have an In-house lab, which makes lab work easy and you get very fast results.
So far my insurance has covered my appts but they will not cover treatment. I expect IUIs will be about 2K per month

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Marshall seems to be very well practiced in her field. I have 100% trust in her knowledge of fertility treatment. She was present for most of my procedures and often entertained my questions...After our failed embryo transfer, when we were finally able to meet up to discuss what happened - she couldn't remember a lot of the details of my cycle (how many embryos did we get? did I have a positive HCG?, etc) and clearly hadn't refreshed herself prior to the meeting. Which was disappointing. After such a loss (chemical pregnancy of your one and only embryo), I was hoping for answers but since she didn't appear to know me from the next infertile woman so it felt like a waste of time.
When we decided to use donor eggs we were initially assigned a new RN [at Pacific NW Fertility] but she failed to send in my Rx and complete my FMLA forms even though I asked her twice for each so I requested to return to my IVF RN...IVF with ICSI and PGS $22,000...Emily, Danielle (RN's), Annemika (CRNA), Suzanne (phlebotomist) and the recovery RN are amazing...Parking could be a pain. More expensive than other clinics in the area. Long wait times. Leaving messages with the front office staff is not always reliable
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall seems to be very well practiced in her field. I have 100% trust in her knowledge of fertility treatment. She was present for most of my procedures and often entertained my questions. After my hysteroscopy she told my husband about the results, because I was still coming out of anesthesia, but she would have never followed up with me if I hadn't asked. After our failed embryo transfer, when we were finally able to meet up to discuss what happened - she couldn't remember a lot of the details of my cycle (how many embryos did we get? did I have a positive HCG?, etc) and clearly hadn't refreshed herself prior to the meeting. Which was disappointing. After such a loss (chemical pregnancy of your one and only embryo), I was hoping for answers but since she didn't appear to know me from the next infertile woman so it felt like a waste of time.
She's very knowledge but not that personable - she lays out the facts but she doesn't pressure you to go one way or the other. She is one of the harder doctors to get appointments with - prepare yourself for a lot of 'hurry up and wait'.
To up front, I didn't feel like a number until our embryo transferred failed. Prior to this (during the IVF cycle and leading up to the frozen embryo transfer) I felt treated like a human. We had our egg retrieval on Thanksgiving and there wasn't any "oh man, this is a holiday and I'm working..."-vibe. Communication had been pretty good up to the point (a few months later) of the cycle failure. After I went in for my first beta HCG, I received a phone call around 11am - I had a "very good" level. Then the 2nd draw (phone called results received around 2pm) the number had decreased and that apparently wasn't good but I was not informed what that could mean - just that it wasn't good and I would need to repeat the blood draw again. After the 3rd HCG blood draw, 3pm no phone call - I called them to see what was happening and about 10 min later received a return call saying "sorry, your HCG levels are dropping. You can stop taking the estrogen and progesterone." And that was it. I was livid - 99% due to the fact that my one and only PGS normal embryo had died - but 1% because there was total lack of compassion and explanation. I was then informed that if I wanted answers I would have to talk to Dr. Marshall and her next appointment was in 3 months. Suddenly my $20k investment had met its end and I was just a number placed back in the line
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve (AMH ) and probable poor egg quality, other than that I don't know why the meds and doses were chosen. my IVF regimen was as follows: 3 weeks of BCP suppression check/blood work Follistim 450 IU and miniHCG 20u for 12 days. Meanwhile reporting to the clinic day 5 (ultra sound - 9 follicles), day 7 (US - 12 follicles), day 9 (US - 14 follicles), day 11 (13 follicles), and day 12 (12 follicles). Started Ganerelix on day 9. On day 12 max follicle size was 18.6 so HCG Trigger shot was scheduled for that night with retrieval the next morning. Egg retrieval in the morning, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 of those were mature. Day one report - 5 fertilized. Day 5 - 1 blastocyst and two more still growing. Day 6 - 2 blastocysts, both biopsied and frozen PGS report a four days later (we were told it would take 2 weeks) - 1 chromosomal normal blastocyst About a week after the retrieval I had a hysteroscopy and removal of some polyps found during the Saline Sonogram. Then I took a month and a half break (continuing birth control pills) to allow healing. For the FET, I did 2 weeks of lupron at 10u (some overlap with the BCP). A suppression check and blood work prior to starting Estrogen patches. The patches started at two every other day for a week then increased to 3 patches every other day for a few days then up to 4 patches every other day. Lupron had been reduced to 5 units every day. My first lining check was not thick enough so I continued with 4 patches. Still continuing with Lupron. Finally my lining was thick enough (it took 5 weeks instead of the 4 that was initially outlined). Progesterone was to start 6 days prior to transfer, but I forgot to start the progesterone so the cycle got cancelled. For the next cycle to prepare for the frozen embryo transfer, we repeated the BCP and lupron portion of the meds but I reacted negatively to the estrogen patches (rashes) so we switched to delestrogen injections. The delestrogen injection worked much better and my lining was ready pretty quickly. 6 days prior to the transfer I started progestrone injections and stopped the lupron. 10 days later I had my first beta HCG which was 150ish and my follow hcg test had declining levels so I had to repeat it again and the number was even lower so I was told to stop the delestrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Emily is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! She was the glue that held everything together. Each ultrasound/blood work visit started with the blood draw or the ultrasound then wrapped up with Emily. I was often unsure of what Dr.Marshall meant or what I was supposed to do but Emily always closed the loop. And if I ever reached out to her via email (about something that I was obsessing over or a weird thing I had read on a forum) she responded within 2 hours and reasoned with me. She helped me keep my sanity. She's very nice, funny, personable and professional. I always felt better when she was around. On one visit she wasn't there but she followed up with me the next day to make sure I understood the plan and to see if I had questions. She was even very timely with outside paperwork - FMLA forms, Rx forms, etc. If it weren't for Emily, I might have gone to another facility for my current treatments
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Clinic strengths - for me the location is very convenient. Emily, Danielle (RN's), Annemika (CRNA), Suzanne (phlebotomist) and the recovery RN are amazing. They have every magazine under the sun to keep you entertained. Weaknesses - If Emily wasn't working that day it would take a long time to get the results of my blood work. Parking could be a pain. More expensive than other clinics in the area. Long wait times. Leaving messages with the front office staff is not always reliable
IVF with ICSI and PGS $22,000. Meds for IVF were about $4,000. FET about $800. Meds for FET about $1200.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
When we decided to use donor eggs we were initially assigned a new RN but she failed to send in my Rx and complete my FMLA forms even though I asked her twice for each so I requested to return to my IVF RN
Seattle

Dr Lamb has always been very forth-coming with the level of detail we were looking for in terms of understanding the science of what is (and is not) happening, AND she does it in a very compassionate and empathetic manner.... We really felt like to only patients in the clinic when she was sitting in front of us—she was never rushing off to another clinic appointment, never seemed annoyed by our questions—even when we had a half dozen of them!
Front desk staff [Pacific NW Fertility] is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately.... One prescription wasn’t called into our pharmacy in the timeframe we had expected. When we brought it to the clinic’s attention, the situation was immediately remedied.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
We initially chose to see Dr Lamb (as opposed to the another clinic provider) because her bio on the clinic website seemed like the best initial fit. As a lesbian couple who (initially) was “only needing IUI,” we were worried about feeling like “less of a priority” because we weren’t seeking IVF or something else complicated. But from our very first visit with Dr Lamb, it felt very clear that she was going to dedicate whatever time and attention our treatment plan required. We really felt like to only patients in the clinic when she was sitting in front of us—she was never rushing off to another clinic appointment, never seemed annoyed by our questions—even when we had a half dozen of them! She has always been very compassionate in her demeanor and is easy to talk to about very intimate details of our lives.
Don’t be afraid to ask the “hard questions” that you really want answers to or are wondering about — it might be scary to hear the answer, but hearing it from Dr Lamb really does make it a little easier!
Dr Lamb has always been very forth-coming with the level of detail we were looking for in terms of understanding the science of what is (and is not) happening, AND she does it in a very compassionate and empathetic manner. She reads people (at least she reads us!) very well, and seems to truly understand that even when we are struggling to understand the science, we are still in the midst of a very emotional process. She responds to our emotional display in slowing down a bit, asking if we need a break, etc—but never witholding or “sugar-coating” the information we are seeking.
We started with a very basic protocol because all labs, u/s, and hysterosalpingogram were normal. For our first 5 cycles, I took letrozole days 3-7, had a day 12 u/s, then timed ovulation trigger based on u/s results. For the 6th cycle, we tried a ten-day course of letrozole, but because of thin ing of the uterine lining, we didn’t continue that in cycle 7. Cycle 7 we did letrozole days 3-7 + injectables, with day 12 u/s. We used letrozole instead of clinic per Dr Lamb’s recommendation to lower the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Peterson)
Ms Peterson was assigned to us a bit later in our treatment course—Dr Lamb’s primary medical assistant had had a couple of health-related leaves of absence, and while the clinic was trying to provide coverage, things just weren’t going as smoothly as we expected. When we raised this concern to Dr Lamb, she immediately asked Ms Peterson to follow-up and address our MA-RN related concerns. Tim’s Peterson exceeded our expectations for timely and thoughtful communication, and was clearly invested in preventing any further communication-related frustration.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Front desk staff is friendly, compassionate, and very responsive—both when we are standing in front of them and on the phone. The andrology lab seems to run really smoothly. When we come in for procedures, the rooms are prepared appropriately. We don’t have much experience with the on-site lab for blood draws. The clinic seems to always be running on time, which is pretty amazing. There was only one occasion when they were about ten minutes behind schedule, and we were informed at check-in, and an MA came out to give us an updated timeline so we knew what to expect (again, for just a ten minute delay).
We were provided with a price sheet at the very first appointment, and while we did not expect our insurance to cover any of our fertility-related care, the clinic agreed to bill insurance prior to collecting payment from us. Our insurance ended up covering some components of the care, and it was super convenient to us that hey had been willing to bill.
Seattle

She [Dr. Shahine] does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.... She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs.
They [Pacific NW Fertility] were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human... We got quotes for both and outside monitor IVF with and with PGS and quotes for outside monitoring donor cycles. Costs ranged from 22,000ish to 40,000 ish with and without medications
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.
You will love her. She is so kind, so caring. She is educated, direct and compassionate. She is prepared for your visit and treats you with respect and explains everything fully.
She is so kind but explains everything very well. She gets to the point but has compassion. She knew about us and didn’t have to look through a chart while she talked. She did her homework. She is amazing
She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs. But she wanted to make sure whatever choice we made she would go 100% toward that choice and do everything she could to make our dream come true
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Can’t remember her name)
The whole office was kind, welcoming and caring. The office was brightly lit wh big windows overlooking downtown seattle
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human
I understand the single versus multiple egg transfer. Dr Shahine’s clinic promoted single egg high quality transfer. The thought of multiples scared us so that eased our minds.
Seattle

From the first time I met her [Dr. Lora Shahine] I felt so comfortable. You can tell she genuinely cares for her patients, getting to the cause of your fertility problems and coming up with an individual care plan to help achieve your end goal. I feel welcomed and listened to each time I’m with her and her clinical team...has a sweet demeanor, has great bedside manor and is very to the point. She is great at listening and answering every question I present. I began seeing her after my previous RE retired within the practice. The transition was seemless and I am so pleased with the attention to detail and protocol she has put in place for me.
[The nurses at Pacific NW Fertility were] Very attentive and thorough in answering my questions and in a timely matter...Front office staff hasn’t been calling to remind me of my upcoming appointments. Also, I have had a few issues with the billing department. Make sure you take notes and review billing statements. Thankfully I am very organized. Everyone is very friendly. The clinic is clean. And I’m always brought back on time or if not they have communicated with me. I appreciate that.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine has a sweet demeanor, has great bedside manor and is very to the point. She is great at listening and answering every question I present. I began seeing her after my previous RE retired within the practice. The transition was seemless and I am so pleased with the attention to detail and protocol she has put in place for me.
Initially starting with a fertility consult can be very scary and intimidating and although she wasn’t my initial Dr on this journey I had to start over with a new protocol with her and I was immediately heard and cared for. She is relatable and incredibly knowledgeable. She is every active in the community, an author and advocate. Overall a great physician!
From the first time I met her I felt so comfortable. You can tell she genuinely cares for her patients, getting to the cause of your fertility problems and coming up with an individual care plan to help achieve your end goal. I feel welcomed and listened to each time I’m with her and her clinical team.
Dr. Shahine has set up a FET protocol for my which included birth control pills, a saline sonogram, Lupron, Estrogen patches and Progesterone in Oil injections. Lupron was part of my protocol due to the suspicion of endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
Very attentive and thorough in answering my questions and in a timely matter
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I did get a sheet with the 2018 FET cost estimate. I don’t have the specifics on hand but with meds it was around $6,000 per transfer.
All of the physicians with in the clinic agree that 1 healthy pregnancy at a time is best. Best for Mom and baby as a pregnancy with multiples run a higher chance of encountering risks. However, they will consider transferring 2 on a case by case basis.
Seattle

Doctor Shahine is very sympathetic to fertility struggles. Especially miscarriages. It doesn’t feel like you are a statistic or a dollar sign- she really does want to help you emotionally as well as physically to get results you want.... In my case I have a “balanced translocation” a condition with my chromosomes that can be passed down to my eggs that lead to miscarriages. Since a large number of my eggs would not result in a viable pregnancy, Doctor Shahine told me we would be more aggressive with the egg retrieval medication.
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] is always clean and has a relaxing atmosphere. I’ve been seen in a timely manor and everyone I’ve come in contact with has been very kind and helpful. Getting to the office can be confusing the first time. The office is good about giving you instructions beforehand how to get there. You will have to pay for parking ($8) each appointment, that is a downside, however for good treatment it is worth it.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Doctor Shahine is really good at giving you all the options and staying neutral to allow you to make the best decision for you. However if you ask her “what would you do if you were in my situation?” She will give you an honest answer and list the reasons why. Which I appreciate. Doctor Shahine is really good at explaining treatment procedures and keeping you informed of what needs to happen.
You can never ask too many questions. Do some research on each treatment beforehand and come in with some questions written down.
In my case I have a “balanced translocation” a condition with my chromosomes that can be passed down to my eggs that lead to miscarriages. Since a large number of my eggs would not result in a viable pregnancy, Doctor Shahine told me we would be more aggressive with the egg retrieval medication. That way we’d have better odds of getting a “good egg.” The results were effective as we ended up with one embryo to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tara)
I don’t know how she manages to do this for every patient, but Tara is SO organized and quick to respond to any questions you have. She is sincere while being professional. She is fantastic at explaining procedures and giving you instructions on how to administer medication.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic is always clean and has a relaxing atmosphere. I’ve been seen in a timely manor and everyone I’ve come in contact with has been very kind and helpful. Getting to the office can be confusing the first time. The office is good about giving you instructions beforehand how to get there. You will have to pay for parking ($8) each appointment, that is a downside, however for good treatment it is worth it.
A large portion of our treatment was covered by insurance. Treatment costs included egg retrieval, kearotype testing, fertility medication, PGD and PGS testing.
Seattle

Dr. Lamb has always been a candid and proactive part of my treatment. My partner and I came to the clinic with some complicated issues, so we are still undergoing treatment and discussing potential future treatments. I appreciated Dr. Lamb's personalized approach to my care, and I know that she truly wants us to leave the clinic with a baby.... I shared my ideas for potential protocol changes, and Dr. Lamb always explained to me why those changes would be good or bad with evidence to back up her answers. Don't be afraid to play an active role in your care and approach IVF as a team process.
I always feel like a human at Pacific Northwest Fertility. Everyone knows me by name and offers a kind word or a greeting when they see me.... The nursing staff is extremely busy, so it does take 24-48 hours to receive a response. I recommend sending all questions at once, rather than spacing them out over several e-mails and phone calls. The nursing staff is knowledgeable and professional, even when faced with the tough task of sharing bad news with the patient.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb has always been a candid and proactive part of my treatment. My partner and I came to the clinic with some complicated issues, so we are still undergoing treatment and discussing potential future treatments. I appreciated Dr. Lamb's personalized approach to my care, and I know that she truly wants us to leave the clinic with a baby. It's just a matter of finding the right path to get there. Dr. Lamb has been patient with my severe anxiety, and I appreciate her direct and scientific answers to my questions. I am very happy with my experience as a patient.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for more explanations. I shared my ideas for potential protocol changes, and Dr. Lamb always explained to me why those changes would be good or bad with evidence to back up her answers. Don't be afraid to play an active role in your care and approach IVF as a team process.
I always feel like a human at Pacific Northwest Fertility. Everyone knows me by name and offers a kind word or a greeting when they see me. I definitely do not feel like a stranger coming into the clinic as just another number. The nurses and front desk staff are all incredibly warm and caring.
We used a higher dose of Follistim during cycling and triggered with HCG. All of my eggs produced were mature, but we didn't get as many healthy embryos as expected. We used IVF + ICSI. We are in the process of troubleshooting our approach for our next cycle since we are dealing with severe male factor infertility and less eggs making it to blast.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Clare Hatch)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic is clean, professional, and warm. It was important for me to choose a clinic where I felt personally cared about. (I toured other clinics in the Seattle area that left me feeling like a number.) I never waited more than ten minutes for an appointment, and I was quite often seen early upon arrival. My monitoring appointments were a breeze and the clinic was running like a machine to move me through each step. Although this isn't what I planned for my life, I am happy to say that I feel like PNWF is my family.
The cost for a full cycle was approximately $18,000. This doesn't include medications and optional PGS testing.
Dr. Lamb prefers eSET/pursuing one healthy singleton pregnancy at a time.
Seattle

Dr. Shahine considered all my previous testing and medical files from my previous RE and fully reviewed everything before we came in for our consult. I felt that she really took her time to familiarize herself with our case and that means a lot. She had so much compassion and approached our current situation with kindness.... She suggested we change the dosage on some meds due to those complications. This clinic also times the IUIs differently than my last clinic to be anytime on the day after trigger shot instead of a set 36hrs after trigger like my previous clinic's IUIs.
PNWF is a much larger clinic than my previous clinic. There are many doctors on staff here and most of your appointments are handled by the nurses. As a new patient, you'll most likely not meet with your doctor right away. You meet with a nurse first and do any testing required first. (i.e.: RPL bloodwork) Then you will see Dr. Shahine to review those results at a later time. So it may take you several weeks to get in for the first appointment with the nurse and then several more weeks after that to actually meet with your Dr.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is a very active person in the field of fertility medicine. She is very active on her social media Instagram to help raise awareness for infertility including available grants and support groups. She is also a specialist for recurrent pregnancy loss and an author. The reason why I seeked her out for a second opinion on my recurrent pregnancy loss was to gain some new insights on why I've miscarried two babies already in the last two and a half years. So far, I'm not sure I've learned anything new, that I haven't heard from my previous RE. To be honest, I did not expect her to have the magic pill that would fix RPL, but maybe we'll learn more as our treatment at this new clinic moves forward.
Dr. Shahine is good about making sure you have your questions answered. She is also reassuring and encouraging. I say this about any Dr or situation, to be your own advocate and bring those hard questions to them.
After reviewing and discussing our last IUI treatments with our first RE, she noticed the dosage of the fertility meds and some complications I had. She suggested we change the dosage on some meds due to those complications. This clinic also times the IUIs differently than my last clinic to be anytime on the day after trigger shot instead of a set 36hrs after trigger like my previous clinic's IUIs.
Communication at this clinic is mainly with your nurse coordinator or the front office relaying your phone calls and scheduling your next appointments. No portal message system but you can email your coordinator directly. So far they do call back within reasonable time. It does seem as though, when your taking to a nurse who is not your set coordinator, there is some mix ups and misunderstandings.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Medications for a hybrid oral/injection cycle ran about $440 and the IUI and sperm prep were covered at 80% by our insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Communicating with a nurse who is not your own nurse coordinator may inform you with conflicting information regarding your treatment. Which is what happened when I asked about getting a specific prescription filled by a certain time, and was told I wouldn't be taking it on a day that I actually was scheduled to start taking it.
Seattle

[Dr. Lamb's] schedule books quickly, and I did not see her on the majority of my visits or my egg retrieval...I'm 37 and had one prior egg retrieval that only resulted in 5 eggs, so we did BCP agonist, a higher dose of Gonal-F with the addition of mini HCG, and a HCG trigger. I generally have a high amount of follicles but my eggs need more to mature, and this seemed to do the trick.
This clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] has a rule that for PGS embryos, they will only transfer one single. I'm not sure of the policy on non-tested embryos, since we did not go that route...So far, we've had nothing bad to report. We've had no unexpected charges, and the lab and front desk have always been great. I particularly liked my nurse anesthetist, who really put me at ease during the actual egg retrieval.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb has been very compassionate and really clearly explained every step of the procedure, as well as the studies behind certain options that make her recommend or not recommend them. She seems incredibly up to date on the latest science.
Her schedule books quickly, and I did not see her on the majority of my visits or my egg retrieval, so you might want to plan that out ahead of time. However, all of the doctors or NPs I saw were great.
Dr. Lamb consistently takes the time to talk to me about my emotional state in addition to what's actually happening with treatment.
I ADORE my nurse coordinator, who has been helpful and easy to access via email whenever I have any questions. The staff is also exceptionally good at preparing you for what's to come.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
We went through insurance, so we were only out of pocket about $3000 for genetic testing. I believe the total billed to insurance was something like $18k.
This clinic has a rule that for PGS embryos, they will only transfer one single. I'm not sure of the policy on non-tested embryos, since we did not go that route.
Seattle

She [Dr. Marshall] is very straight forward but not too blunt. When talking about my chances being lower than others because of low egg count she talked us through specific number examples and let us throw in hypothetical questions. She set the expectations really well in our very first appointment so we have felt like we've been "on track" because it's working out to match what she set us up for - it's not ideal (of course I wish it was way easier) but she's been really good about knowing what we can expect.
I was able to talk to someone at the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] whenever I needed to. My nurse took my calls and emails every day - even when I repeated myself and she didn't make me feel like I was bothering her. ...The clinic has been great. The hours work well - during a cycle you get appointments around 8 and 8:30 on the weekdays. The Saturday/Sunday appointments are all morning appointments.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is very straight forward but not too blunt. When talking about my chances being lower than others because of low egg count she talked us through specific number examples and let us throw in hypothetical questions. She set the expectations really well in our very first appointment so we have felt like we've been "on track" because it's working out to match what she set us up for - it's not ideal (of course I wish it was way easier) but she's been really good about knowing what we can expect.
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. She is so smart and it could be intimidating to ask what might feel like a dumb question but she's actually very patient with the crazy things I've asked her. It's ok to keep asking why - she'll answer when she can and be honest when there is no explanation for a specific result.
I was able to talk to someone at the clinic whenever I needed to. My nurse took my calls and emails every day - even when I repeated myself and she didn't make me feel like I was bothering her. She let me express my worry and explained the process as many times as I wanted to hear it very kindly.
My first IVF cycle was with hcg (20 units) and folistim (450 units). The folistim is at the highest dose because I have very few eggs for someone my age. We started a day earlier than planned and retrieved a day earlier than predicted. I stayed at those dosages the whole cycle and the trigger was planned when the largest follicle was at about 19 mm. Early on she let me know it would be best to do retrievals now if I want to plan for more than one child because my egg count is so low so we are starting a second cycle now.
The staff at this clinic has treated me so well since our first appointment - they are actually the reason I was even open to the idea of IVF. Before meeting them I had imagined it to be too difficult and painful for me to take on. After our first appointment I felt I was in good hands and they were already reassuring me that I could do this. Emily my nurse and coordinator is the best support I could ask for. She has been so kind and patient and available during what has been the biggest challenge of my life. I can't imagine doing this all without Emily. I can't recommend her enough.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic has been great. The hours work well - during a cycle you get appointments around 8 and 8:30 on the weekdays. The Saturday/Sunday appointments are all morning appointments. They have wifi in the lobby so when I've had to wait for results I was able to stay busy. Everyone on the phone and in person is kind and understanding.
Seattle

Appointments are always on time, you can call 7 days a week, prompt replies from nursing team via email, and large(r) practice thus I believe they do a good job of staying current with evidence based practice to optimize pt outcomes. They [Pacific NW Fertility] also have many resources for fertility exercise classes, acupuncture, counseling etc. Only downside is this supplemental care is not reviewed with the provider
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
I was only able to meet Dr Swelstad once before he left the practice I saw him at. Because I was a new patient to him and he was in transition to move out of state to a different practice, I feel he had several things to juggle. I believe he couldn't be as concrete with his suggested plan/approach with IVF as he knew we would have to go through in a change of provider very soon. The next provider may have a very different plan to his which could introduce doubt. He went the safest route with disseminating information to us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask clarifying questions about exact timelines for your specific scenario.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
My impression of Dr Swelstad may not be reflective of his normal care. I was transferred onto his caseload and ended up having a consultation with him just before he left that practice. I am sure he was pressured to continue seeing new patients up until he left due to clinic demands and shortage of providers so I can not fault him. In a perfect world I wish the clinic would have informed me he would be leaving the practice soon and allowed me to either keep the apt with him or wait to get in with another provider.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Interventions were previously established by another provider thus we did not change anything. We did discuss IVF as an option however did not review when we should consider this route more seriously.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
I can not recall who my nursing team was while under care of Dr. Swelstad as I was only with him for one visit thus I communicated with previous MD's nursing team (at same clinic) since they were familiar with my case/care.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Overall this clinic is excellent. Appointments are always on time, you can call 7 days a week, prompt replies from nursing team via email, and large(r) practice thus I believe they do a good job of staying current with evidence based practice to optimize pt outcomes. They also have many resources for fertility exercise classes, acupuncture, counseling etc. Only downside is this supplemental care is not reviewed with the provider. Pamphlets are nicely displayed and you have to specifically ask for details if you want further information.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility.
Visit was covered as I met my deductible for the year.
Describe Brad Swelstad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
We did not review this in detail.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
One provider discussed getting a number of labs drawn and forgot to include AMH on the orders (we verbally discussed this). This was not identified until 1 year later when another provider was reviewing results and surprised to see this was missed.
Brad Swelstad
Seattle
Lora Shahine makes us feel like family every time we enter her office! WE love her deeply and her care for us shows in her words and actions.... She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.... We used estrogen patches and Lupron first cycle but it affected my lining negatively so we went with estrogen and estrace and no Lupron and it helped! Once we transferred I was on estrogen, progesterone, estrace and aspirin. This ended in a Chemical pregnancy
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a great clinic the staff, the lab techs, the blood drawers the nurses and main doctors are always there to help! I have no negatives! I would like to explain to a new patient that goes in expecting a baby the first round that it's not always like this and its a hard pill to swallow when it happens to you. But this clinic is there for you to help you get to your baby. Even with the struggles they are always comforting. Even when you just need to cry.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora Shahine is a caring individual. She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.
Know that you aren't just working with a doctor. You will be working with a friend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Grey)
Emily has been so amazing! I am the patient that sends over a million emails a day and she answers every single one in a timely manner! She is always smiling at our appointments and laughing along with us. She is a gem and we love her dearly and once again we are grateful God picked her for our team!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were great for us. We live over an hour and a half a way and we had back to back appointments during the winter and they always would either see us earlier or get us in right on time because they understood our travel.
So far for our whole experience we have spent a grand total of 30,000.00 including retrieval and transfer. Meds we have spent around 15,000.00 through our pharmacy.
I trust our doctor and what she says will be best for my body.