Bellevue
Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

2013 - 2017, Successful
Doctor shahine always took extra time with me was and explained everything throughly. She was patient with me and let us take our time in making decisions....We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation...The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care....We did an embryo donation....When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I absolutely loved doctor shahine! She was patient and through with her information and very current with her knowledge. She was also Very compassionate. The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I would go into the whole process with a open mind and a positive attitude - and I felt doctor shahine was good at fostering these.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation to confirm that we were st the best possible starting place to Give the most ultimum results. I had to have a Procedure to remove scar tissue which pushed back the transfer procedure but in the long run this was a great preventive step to avoid miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa )
When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process and even contacted us after our baby was born to follow up! She was incredible!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care. If you don't want to feel like a number being passed through a conveyer belt system PNW fertility if for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
The ebryo transfer with medications was about 5k and then the procedure to remove scar tissue was about 1500$ after insurance.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
I liked the fact that they promote single transfer - doctor Shahine's rational for it was that the risk didn't out weight the small chance of benefit. I being an older mom the risk of caring multiples to a full healthy term didn't justify the small percent bump of likely hood of implantation that you might get from transferring two.
Seattle

Overall we were very happy with Dr. Swelstad. he only negative thing we encountered was the way in which he approached his recommendation that we use ICSI in our first IVF cycle. According to my husband's sperm analysis all his numbers were above average, except for morphology, which was at the low end of average, but still in a normal range. To me, this indicated that there was no male factor, or at least not one that had been proven. Dr. Swelstad's rationale was that because we had unexplained infertility and had never conceived, it was possible that the sperm were having trouble fertilizing the egg despite the numbers being normal.
The quality of care is great [at Pacific NW Fertility], very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.... We opted for the refund plan, which, once you added the extra fees for ICSI, anesthesia, etc came to over $20,000. The terms were that if you used all your embryos in 12 months and still hadn't sustained a pregnancy to 12 weeks, you would be refunded 80% (not including those extra fees and add-ons).
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
Overall we were very happy with Dr. Swelstad. The only negative thing we encountered was the way in which he approached his recommendation that we use ICSI in our first IVF cycle. According to my husband's sperm analysis all his numbers were above average, except for morphology, which was at the low end of average, but still in a normal range. To me, this indicated that there was no male factor, or at least not one that had been proven. Dr. Swelstad's rationale was that because we had unexplained infertility and had never conceived, it was possible that the sperm were having trouble fertilizing the egg despite the numbers being normal. He recommended that we use ICSI and gave us a ballpark figure of the price (not included in our IVF cycle plan) that turned out to be significantly lower than the actual price. Though he apologized for this later with the usual "I'm a doctor, I'm not in billing," we felt that if a doctor is going to strongly recommend an optional and expensive add-on treatment, that he should be informed about current pricing. After discussing it on our own and discovering the real price of ICSI, which seemed to be exorbitant compared to some other clinics we looked into and the national average, we decided we did not want to do ICSI. Dr. Swelstad then proceeded to call us to make the case again. In some ways we appreciated the personal attention, especially as he made the call at 5 pm, but we also felt quite pressured to proceed with ICSI. In the end, since we only had 7 eggs that were mature enough to be fertilized at all, we were glad we did ICSI, which resulted in 6/7 being fertilized. However, if we had had more eggs I don't think this procedure would have been necessary at all, and the clinic would not give us the option of making the decision after the egg retrieval. It is a fine line since the clinic does, of course, have a vested interest in achieving success, but we did feel pressured, despite Dr. Swelstad's generally kind demeanor and obvious commitment to getting us our positive outcome.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility?
I felt very good after our first consultation with Dr.Swelstad. He was a great conversationalist and seemed interested in our situation in both a professional and personal way.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
We did a fresh IVF cycle using my husband's frozen sperm and my own eggs. I was on fairly standard doses of follistim (increased from 300 daily to 375 when I wasn't responding enough), mini HCG, and later Ganirelix. My follicles weren't getting big enough, thus the increased dosage. If I did it again I would want to be on the higher dosage from the beginning, as I believe this was the cause of our relatively mediocre-average egg retrieval count. But at the time there was no way of knowing how I would respond, and we definitely didn't want to over-stimulate. I needed a few extra days, and therefore extra doses of ganirelix, but it all worked out well in the end, and I experienced almost no side effects at all from the treatment. 11 eggs retrieved, 7 were mature, 6 were fertilized using ICSI, and 5 survived to day 5. We transferred two and are now pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa Fox)
Alyssa, who no longer works at PNWF, was awesome at communicating with us by email while we were still overseas and trying to get everything organized to start our cycle. I contacted multiple clinics and never got a better or more prompt response than from her. This was crucial to our decision to go with this clinic and her continued support and communication made the whole process very smooth.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The quality of care is great, very easy to get appointments at times that work for you, overall atmosphere is very welcoming. The downside is it is extremely expensive when compared to the national average, especially for extra things like ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe Brad Swelstad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
There was no option because we chose a refund plan that required us to transfer two at a time, and we were fine with that.
Brad Swelstad
Seattle

Dr. Marshall: individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions.
My experience with my IVF coordinator [at Pacific NW Fertility - Sea], Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch...The high quality of the experience I have had is embedded in how PNWF operates. All my interactions with PNWF doctors have been very positive. I believe their equipment and protocols are top notch...The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care... Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a friend of mine with extremely high standards. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. During our discussion my prior cycles became critical inputs for deciding how to move forward. My prior doctors had made very solid decisions, but the key to better results was precisely pinpointing what needed to be changed based on what did not work in the past. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Work with Dr. Marshall and you can relax.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Estradiol for suppression. Clomid + High dosage follistim for stimulation. Human growth hormone for finishing. The timing Dr. Marshall used for each step was critical for changing my results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
My experience with my IVF coordinator, Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch. It is difficult to identify all the traits that an ideal IVF coordinator has, but my experience with Emily has helped to crystallize them: • Deeply knowledgeable – Emily’s ability to smoothly manage communication and coordination among my doctor, the front desk, my pharmacy, geneticists, and others is rooted in her knowledge of both IVF medicine and the PNWF process. Her knowledge is broad (covering my questions on embryo banking, acceptable medications, etc.) and deep (e.g., risks associated with back-to-back IVF cycles). I’ve worked with many nurses in multiple fields who can go through the motions, but can’t connect each process step or my question to the bigger goal. Emily goes way beyond. • Commitment to results – As with Dr. Marshall and with the entire team, Emily has always been “in it to win it” with my husband and me. During one visit, I expressed that I appreciated her working with me even after I had proven to be the Cancellation Queen. She responded immediately and confidently: “I’ve never known you as that.” At that moment, I realized how important it is to feel in my bones the support and belief of the team you are partnering with. • Attunement and sensitivity – Emily is upbeat when delivering good news, and compassionate when delivering bad news. This sensitivity is HUGE when going through the IVF process. There is nothing worse than going through a gut-wrenching process with a tone deaf partner. • Proactive and clear – Emily stays ahead of me in all aspects of the process: from sending me a tentative calendar before we’ve even finalized target dates to ensuring my prescriptions are ready to go. • Responsive and patient – I’m not an easy patient. I ask lots of questions. All the time. Emily has been gracious with her attention and timely with her responses, often providing more information and insight than I even know to ask for. The rest of the nursing staff and front desk staff has been great to work with as well. At a certain point, I started to feel like a regular given the number and frequency of my visits. Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals. The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
~$10K for physician services (monitoring, aspiration, transfer); ~$9K for embryology (insemination, blastocyst culture, cryopreservation)
Seattle

Dr. Lamb prefers ESET with pgs tested embryos...She listened to our concerns and didn't rush us. Dr. Lamb even gave us advice on a cycle she wasn't managing, the first time we met her. She reviewed our records thoroughly and found 3 major things our previous RE missed. She seems to remember details of previous cycles, or at least reviews records before visits to recall them...We valued her attention to detail immensely....
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment [at Pacific NW Fertility]...Repeat your SA at this clinic. They do a more in depth analysis, and we learned that we have both female and male factor fertility issues! I believe that this clinic has one of the best embryology labs...I think treatment at her clinic is more expensive than some other clinics, but the quality and attention to detail are worth it!...
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very kind and honest as she reviewed our history. She pointed out that ivf was the next best step for us (given many months of failed Clomid, Femara, and injectable Follistim cycles) but was willing to help us with more injectable cycles and iui if we preferred. She was very thorough, most importantly! She found things my last RE missed: low sperm morphology, uterine septum, and Ashermans syndrome when she went in to remove the septum via hysteroscopy. We had a second procedure to make sure it worked and it had. We valued her attention to detail immensely. She has also been very kind and a good cheerleader when I've felt low. We did do ivf and had a great retrieval -- many eggs and good fertilization with icsi. Many embryos were made and 4 were normal on PGS. I have now had 3 FET: 1 with negative beta, one with positive beta that resulted in my son, and recently a third FET that resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
I think treatment at her clinic is more expensive than some other clinics, but the quality and attention to detail are worth it! Definitely have a consult with her and come prepared with your records and questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the protocols Julie Lamb used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I have PCOS and a high afc. History of ohss on an injectable cycle with ti with another provider. She watched me very closely because of this due to risk for ohss again and was able to avoid it! I believe it was an antagonist protocol -- Follistim 225 and low dose hcg daily to start with. Follistim decreased to 150 after first ultrasound. Ganirelex to suppress premature ovulation. Dual trigger with hcg and Lupron. Yield was 26 eggs, 21 fertilized with icsi,14 embryos frozen by day 5-6. 4 of these were pgs normal. I was 38 at the time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dr. Lamb's team seems to switch frequently over time. We have had several IVF coordinators. One was awful (Kallie) but the others have been good (Yvette, Clare, Nicole).)
Over time, Dr. Lamb's staff has become much more organized and helpful. They respond to emails quickly and help us coordinate out of town care, since we live out of the area.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It takes a while to get in for your first appointment. Make sure to get all of your records sent asap. They might cancel your appt if not! The front desk signed for and lost my records that I overnighted them, but I was able to upload them to the patient portal last minute, thankfully! I really like my current coordinators but some of the other coordinators or nurses there were not as patient or helpful. Previously, I felt a bit patronized when I asked questions via email. This has not been a problem in the past couple of years, though, since the coordinator switched. Repeat your SA at this clinic. They do a more in depth analysis, and we learned that we have both female and male factor fertility issues! I believe that this clinic has one of the best embryology labs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility.
I can't remember because we had so many medical costs lately. I think ivf was around 15k with outside monitoring. Icsi was extra. Biopsy of embryos was extra. Medications were extra. Fet with outside monitoring is now just under 4k, not including meds.
Describe Julie Lamb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb prefers ESET with pgs tested embryos. Her rationale was sound!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
They lost records that we sent prior to our first consult and implied that perhaps we didn't send the records at all. The tune was changed when I was able to give them the name of who signed for the package, once I tracked it! It ended up being no big deal in the long run, but caused some stress at the time.
Seattle

[Dr. Lorna Marshall] failed to inform us what blood tests she was ordering (when we were paying out of pocket and concerned about costs) and some of the blood tests had already been conducted...was pleasant enough to work with, but seemed unskilled at acknowledging the emotions of seeking out fertility treatment for the first time...She was less than helpful in giving advice on next steps and directed us away from further examination of my partner's varicocele and potential varicocelectomy. She was helpful in not recommending IUIs with injectables to avoid possible multiples.
There were many nurses and nurse practitioners whom we worked with at Pacific NW Fertility. I never felt like they actually knew me nor did I get to know them. It felt like it was a new person each time we went. They were professional, competent, optimistic, and compassionate. I did not have a bad experience with the nursing staff other than feeling like there was little to no opportunity to form much of a relationship/sense of familiarity.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lorna Marshall was technical and rather emotionally cold. She was pleasant enough to work with, superficially compassionate, and not very warm. She had a strange story about her parents taking 9 years to conceive her which was unhelpful given my age and situation. She provided information on the procedures and answered the questions we had as best she could. She was less than helpful in giving advice on next steps and directed us away from further examination of my partner's varicocele and potential varicocelectomy. She was helpful in not recommending IUIs with injectables to avoid possible multiples.
Be prepared that Lorna Marshall likely won't be very warm and emotionally supportive through the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lorna Marshall was pleasant enough to work with, but seemed unskilled at acknowledging the emotions of seeking out fertility treatment for the first time.
Lorna Marshall recommended IUIs with letrozole. She had us come in for ultrasounds in advance of the IUI in order to check follicle count in advance of each IUI. She had us use an HCG trigger shot prior to the IUI. Each time, I developed 1-2 follicles on letrozole, but only ever got negative pregnancy tests.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic was expensive and at times poor communicators. One person at the front desk gave us the wrong information about parking. The financial department was relatively difficult to work with and seemed unavailable/unhelpful at times. It was difficult to get itemized bills when we requested them. The location was a bit difficult to get to and parking was challenging and expensive. The lobby was pretty and well maintained with nice views.
We paid for 2-3 consultations with Dr. Marshall, the cost of letrozole and HCG trigger shot medications, the cost of ultrasounds/IUI/sperm washing procedures, and parking.
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Lorna Marshall failed to inform us what blood tests she was ordering (when we were paying out of pocket and concerned about costs) and some of the blood tests had already been conducted. The clinic refunded the lab costs, but it was difficult to get a refund and unnecessary if Dr. Marshall had simply informed us what tests she was planning to run when the blood draw was done.
Seattle
Dr. Lamb seems to "know her stuff" very well and I felt like our treatment plan was tailored to our medical situation and results. I felt like she was genuinely rooting for us and in tune with the emotional side of going through these treatments and procedures. I am a numbers person and at times would have liked more precise percentages from her (e.g. likelihood of x happening) but I also know that data isn't always available.
We did a multicycle IVF plan [at Pacific NW Fertility] that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether...All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!..When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Take your time and come prepared with questions!
Dr. Lamb took her time during our appointments to answer all of the questions we had and was always empathetic, even at our first appointment when things got emotional.
I have DOR and we used an estrace lead in with no birth control suppression, followed by Follistim and miniHCG with Ganirelix added in just prior to expected retrieval. We had one canceled IVF cycle due to a dominant follicle (converted to IUI, which was unsuccessful) and our second cycle resulted in three eggs retrieved and fertilized. By day 5, only one remained and we did a fresh transfer that was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolf)
All of the nurses were great - Emily, our IVF coordinator was fabulous!!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They are very organized and always professional. When this much was at stake, it was worth it to have a team of people who were warm, reliable, and incredibly competent. The only downside for me was that parking gets pricey!
We did a multicycle IVF plan that was $21,000 plus the cost of medications for two retrievals and as many transfers as we needed. I think IUIs were $750-1000 altogether.
My doctor did not have a strong opinion on one versus two embryo transfer, and was comfortable holding off on the decision until 1-2 days before transfer. She did talk with me about the pros and cons and provided information on the risks of multiples. We only had three embryos and just one made it to transfer on day 5, so the decision was made for us.
Seattle
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients....Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle... Dr. Marshall: Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch
Every time I've gone under anesthesia [at Pacific NW Fertility], I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.... I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a doctor friend of mine. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
You're smart to work with her. You can relax now.
Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle. Every time I've gone under anesthesia, I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients. Suppression with estradiol. Then a combination of Clomid, Follistim, and Omnitrope. I will need to confirm exact timing and doses.
We froze embryos after both cycles.
Lorna Marshall

during my initial consultation, dr lamb took 45mins-1hr to sit and talk with me. we discussed my concerns over being unable to conceive in detail. she displayed a high level of empathy, and i felt she intently listened and responded with specifics....dr lamb was a pleasure to work with. she communicated clearly in terms i understood. she was gentle, and i felt like she understood the emotional stress i was experiencing. i had easy access to her, and tho visits were frequent, i never felt like my time was being wasted.
emily [at Pacific NW Fertility] was/is incredible. she handled all of my medication scheduling, which can get complicated with a busy work schedule. she was responsive to emails, knowledgable about all the steps of treatment, and professional...strengths: good candy at counter, professional and friendly front desk staff and lab techs. huge bonus was primarily female staff. weaknesses: paid parking. hardly a weakness worth mentioning....i believe the total cost of care ended up around 29k.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
expect her to be direct but gentle, and leave you with reasonable expectations about treatment.
during my initial consultation, dr lamb took 45mins-1hr to sit and talk with me. we discussed my concerns over being unable to conceive in detail. she displayed a high level of empathy, and i felt she intently listened and responded with specifics. i appreciated that she didn't give me unreasonable expectations, but left me feeling hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: emily rudolf)
emily was/is incredible. she handled all of my medication scheduling, which can get complicated with a busy work schedule. she was responsive to emails, knowledgable about all the steps of treatment, and professional.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
i believe the total cost of care ended up around 29k. huge bonus was putting it on amex and getting pointsssssssss.

2010 - 2017, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Julie Lamb] is excellent. Her staff is excellent. She always explains everything and entertains all questions no matter how small or trivial. She has personally called me just to check in especially after bad news.... She cares about me and is sad when we are sad and happy when we are happy.... We started down this path because of my husband's sperm count issues. It's been a long road of 8 years. We went IVF route to try and speed up the process but as I get older it gets harder.
Although the financial counselor [at Pacific NW Fertility] is helpful I still find the payment process stressful and confusing. I also feel like I was not always given all the pricing info I needed and was not offered discounts for multiple IVF cycles that I should've been. The coordination between the clinic and the genetics testing is not 100% either. I had a miscarriage and my collected tissue wasn't sent in time so the genetics lab was not able to properly evaluate the embryo.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
She's excellent. Her staff is excellent. She always explains everything and entertains all questions no matter how small or trivial. She has personally called me just to check in especially after bad news.
Nothing. She's excellent.
She cares about me and is sad when we are sad and happy when we are happy.
I'm not sure I can answer this well. We started down this path because of my husband's sperm count issues. It's been a long road of 8 years. We went IVF route to try and speed up the process but as I get older it gets harder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie Fleharty )
There are definitely people on staff that are better than others but I have a special bond with Kallie and she goes out of her way to help me.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Although the financial counselor is helpful I still find the payment process stressful and confusing. I also feel like I was not always given all the pricing info I needed and was not offered discounts for multiple IVF cycles that I should've been. The coordination between the clinic and the genetics testing is not 100% either. I had a miscarriage and my collected tissue wasn't sent in time so the genetics lab was not able to properly evaluate the embryo.
$25,000 per IVF cycle. That's $15k for doctor/clinic, $5k for meds and $5k for genetic testing.
I don't have any comments. Just lots of questions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
I already wrote about the mishandling of miscarriage materials in my last open ended comment.
2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Lamb was very patient with us and answered many questions. She was also humorous and personable. She always stayed positive and offered many smiles when we needed them.... We worked on egg retrievals for three years before implanting because of my age (37-39) and diminished reserves. We were able to get enough eggs for a successful transfer and freezing and have three left to try for a second child.
Strengths- good staff, professional, good results and efficiency Weaknesses- the billing office [Pacific NW Fertility - Seattle] has been very helpful working with us but if you are using insurance at all Beware... it is very time consuming and tedious to get the payments applied.... We worked with two nurses that were assigned to Dr. Lamb and liked them both. Nurse Schilling is an incredible nurse practitioner who also worked with us.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is very professional and nice to work with plus she is incredibly talented with fertility issues and treatments. I’m so glad our family found her- we are now seven weeks away from a baby girl thanks to Dr. Lamb!
Don’t be afraid to ask her all of your questions.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths- good staff, professional, good results and efficiency Weaknesses- the billing office has been very helpful working with us but if you are using insurance at all Beware... it is very time consuming and tedious to get the payments applied.
We used two insurance companies and only paid the remainder which was around $400 for drugs after two cycles and $1500 Per cycle. I think it would have been $20-30k Per cycle without insurance.
My doctor recommended we try two - which we did- one was viable.

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a fantastic clinic. Everyone on the staff clearly takes the "customer service" part of their job very seriously. The front desk staff, the nurses, the phlebotomists...everyone there is polite and makes you feel comfortable. I've always been seen promptly and the one time I had to wait, I was given snacks, water and magazines. I appreciate their attention to detail and their focus on positive patient experiences.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is the best doctor I've ever worked with. She is competent, experienced, honest, compassionate and open minded. We came to her clinic because of male factor issues and after a terrible experience at another fertility clinic that left me hospitalized for 8 days with severe OHSS. After throughly reviewing my history, Dr. Shahine developed a treatment plan that would minimize my risk of hyperstimulating again while still recruiting plenty of eggs. Her plan worked, we had a great retrieval and my discomfort was very minimal. She and her team checked in on me frequently after my retrieval to make sure my recovery was going well. We have not yet had success with any of our frozen transfers, but I only attribute this to us just being on the wrong side of luck so far and I'm confident things will work out soon. Through all of the ups and down, Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility have been attentive, compassionate and encouraging. Dr. Shahine has even called me personally on many occasions to answer my questions and reassure me that we are moving forward in the right direction. She is hopeful, yet honest; frank yet sensitive and I would recommend her to anyone seeking help in their fertility journey.
If things don't work out right away, don't despair, stay the course. The infertility journey is often longer than any of us would hope or imagine but you are in good hands with Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility.
Definitely like a human. Dr. Shahine is incredibly knowledgeable on all aspects of fertility treatments and I always felt confident in her ability to assess our situation and come up with a proper treatment plan. We've had some bad luck during our infertility journey and Dr. Shahine has been there every step of the way(including calling me personally and letting me talk her ear off for nearly an hour!) to make us feel supported and to provide encouragement to stick with it.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr Lorna Marshall] takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns....Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life.
Such a convenient location! [Pacific Northwest Fertility in Seattle is] only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus....Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge)....There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns.
Ask lots of questions. Write things down so you don't forget the little details.
Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life. I am an RN at a nearby trauma hospital and we have talked a bit about that as well. Dr Marshall is encouraging and optimistic and enthusiastic and she has me convinced that we can make this thing work!
2013 egg retrieval before chemo: Menopur/Follistim/Ganirelix and HCG trigger. I was 35 years old and we got 11 eggs. 8 made it to freeze as embryos at day 3; 2 made it to day 5 freeze (in 2015), and one of those was found to be chromosomally normal after PGS testing. The remaining embryo has the genetic mutation that caused my cancer, so we are currently doing a second egg retrieval in one more shot to try for a baby without this mutation hanging over their head. Based on my AMH and FSH levels, Dr Marshall actually recommended against doing another egg retrieval when we first asked. But when we decided that we wanted to try even though there was a higher chance of failure, she worked with us full force. We are pulling out all the big guns on this one: 4mg Estrace x12 days, then 100mg Clomid x5 days; 150mg Menopur; 300IU Follistim. Will start Ganirelix once follicles are ready, and will have an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda and Adriana)
Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge). Melinda is good about letting me know when she won't be in the office, so I know to ask for her backup coordinator when I call. She even went to bat for me (along with Dr Marshall) to get the clinic to offer me the cancer rate discount, even though this second egg retrieval is happening AFTER my chemo/treatment.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Such a convenient location! Only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus.
It was about $9500 for our initial egg retrieval in 2013 (with a cancer patient discount and meds paid for through another cancer patient fund); in 2015, it was $4850 for PGD; $1k for PGS; $4500 for embryo biopsying and sending samples to the genetics company; it will be $11800 for this next round of egg retrieval, including ICSI (currently doing injections for this); I paid $5184 for my meds this time around. Another $1800 for biopsies to send for PGS and PGD; $3865 for FET, plus the cost of meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality we didn't have our results back until late January 2016. It would have been less frustrating if this longer timeline possibility had been made clear at the very beginning.
Seattle

Dr. Lamb was very informative on my first visit letting me know what to expect; however, on subsequent visits her answers were not always consistent. She did not always recall my past history or family planning goals we had previously discussed. With that being said, she was very friendly and appointments never felt rushed. And really, I cannot complain because in the end the IVF was successful on my first attempt.
Loved this clinic [Pacific NW Fertility]! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Be your own advocate. Ask questions on each visit and be prepared to gently remind her/staff of your history and goals.
While they were very friendly most of the time, there were moments when I had to remind them of my history details and things/wishes we had discussed at prior appointments.
Eek-I can't recall this. A lot of meds-it is all kept me of a blur now. They did make me a calendar to give me specific instructions and keep me organized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kallie)
Kallie was was extremely friendly and easy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Loved this clinic! The clinic itself is very clean, modern, and everything is done on site (except genetic testing). All of the doctors are very knowledgeable and highly active in contributing more to the field through research, community outreach/education, etc. They keep up with their training to stay on top of the latest and greatest. While I liked my doctor, there was another MD in the practice that did my retrieval that I really loved. I hope to switch to her for baby #2 since we just seemed to have a better connection.
Total cost for everything including meds, one IVF freeze all cycle, embryo transfer cycle, genetic testing of both my husband and I, embryo genetic testing, etc. totaled about $35,000.
PNWFertility places emphasis on ONE and I am behind this philosophy. They did ask me if I would like to transfer 2, giving me the option based on my specific circumstances. However, they still highly recommended just transferringnone which is what I decided.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Lamb customized her plan to my body. For every setback we had, she had a new idea for something to try. This made me feel like she was taking care of me and not just following a standard formula for fertility care...Dr. Lamb is an exceptional physician. She is honest, compassionate, and extremely bright. My situation was somewhat unique, and she continued to correct the course of treatment to try to improve outcomes. She is blunt, which I really appreciated.
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's...My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy...For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb is an exceptional physician. She is honest, compassionate, and extremely bright. My situation was somewhat unique, and she continued to correct the course of treatment to try to improve outcomes. She is blunt, which I really appreciated. I think the number one rule to survive years of fertility treatments is to manage expectations. Dr. Lamb does that beautifully.
Prepare for honesty. She does not sugar coat. Do your homework and come prepared with questions.
We started with a "standard" IVF (although she had to adjust my dose of Follistim mid-course to higher levels). She retrieved 25 eggs but only 3 were mature and fertilized (only 1 grew to 5 days and was chromosomally normal). To increase the number of mature eggs the second IVF, she modified the protocol to change the timing of my trigger shot and start with a higher Follistim dose. That resulted in fewer total eggs retrieved but 12 were mature and fertilized (resulting in 6 that grew out to 5 days and were chromosomally normal). I have done a total of 5 FETs. We started with a standard FET cycle which didn't work. The second time she modified the dose of estrogen. Then we took a break (I did a uterine biopsy which showed evidence of endometriosis; my sample was sent to Bruce Lessy and I am lacking some receptor (beta-something...it's been a while so I forgot the name). I then did 3 months of once monthly Lupron injections to "re-set". I had 2 FETs after that which did not work, even though we did adjust a few things along the way. Finally my fifth FET we did a "natural" cycle where I ovulated via letrozole. I ended up pregnant with the FET embryo and a new one because we did not listen to Dr. Lamb and had sex during the FET cycle. So I had twins (it was an eSET so they knew that the second one was because I had ovulated and had sex. Oops). Joke was on us because I miscarried at 9 weeks. Because I had gotten pregnant on my own, Dr. Lamb wanted to preserve the last two frozen embryos I had and instead go back to basics: Letrozole and timed intercourse. The first month that didn't work but the second month it work. And I had a healthy baby boy in Sept 2016. Long story short...2 IVFs and 5 embryo transfers over the course of 4 years and I got pregnant with Letrozole and old fashioned sex. But I have no doubt that all the things Dr. Lamb did along the way primed my body for pregnancy. Even though I don't remember everything we did, she adjusted the course every single FET to try something new.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda Lloyd)
Melinda, who has since retired, was amazing. She was prompt and always returned my calls. She set up calls with Dr. Lamb as needed or when she couldn't answer my questions. I felt so well cared for with Melinda as my point person.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic runs as a well-oiled machine. If you're there long enough, you get to know the flow pretty well. New patients should know that the physicians do the IVF's for the most part and not the IUI's. I think some women want the docs to do everything, but that's not a sustainable model. My one criticism is that once you get a positive pregnancy test, the every-other-day HCG checks are excessive and can lead women to go crazy.
For each IVF, I think the procedures were about $12,000 and the meds were about $6,000. The FET's were somewhere in the range of $4,000-5,000 with an addition $500 or so for medications. Anesthesia was billed separately and was usually in the range of $700.
This is one of the reasons I love Dr. Lamb. She feels pretty strongly about eSET which I agree with. My sister did fertility treatments in NYC and those docs are like cowboys. They love pushing multiple embryo transfers. And why? Twins are hard on the mom and the fetuses. It's so risky!! Dr. Lamb feels this way as well. She is concerned about a patient's health in addition to fertility desires.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Lamb was cooperative in her approach, listening and integrating the recommendations of another doctor I had consulted with in another state. She was willing to order tests she normally does not and prescribed medication she normally does not because of the additional input I had brought to the table. This was essential for me. But I am not confident that if I had not received the out-of-state consultation, I would have been successful with just Dr. Lamb's recommendations.
Costs at the clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet.... Friendly and professional front-desk staff; a clean and bright atmosphere; a generally warm attitude from all I interacted with. I had to be on top of my billing and regularly review charges as there were a couple of times when charges were done in error and one time when a test was done (and I was charged for it) when I explicitly asked that it not be done.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and be your own advocate, realizing that no one can help you as much as you can help yourself.
Dr. Lamb was warm, caring and understanding. She always referred to me by my preferred (nick) name and took the time to respond to all my questions.
IUIs with partner or donor sperm, following Letrozole on cycle days 3-7, ultrasound to confirm mature follicles, and ovulation-stimulating shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Julie's medical assistant at the time was Mary. She was somewhat erratic - very responsive at times and not very responsive at other times. She was always well-meaning and kind in person.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Costs at the clinic change at least annually and staff is good about sharing the current cost sheet. The clinic was good about referring me to a pharmacy where the drugs I needed were lower cost that typical.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
For my first IUI I was using a new ovulation checking kit that had been new to market so the medical assistant misinterpreted the information from the kit and scheduled the procedure a day too soon. They did comp me for the procedure and repeated it the following day. There was a time when my prescription had not been called in on time so I had to scramble with phone calls before picking it up (cycles don't wait!).

2010 - 2016, Successful
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
I think the clinic [PNW Fertility] has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.... I had a few [nurses], the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is very knowledgeable, and extremely caring. She explained the different steps, and walked me through what the options were. Once I was pregnant, I did feel a little rushed out of the clinic, but I figured that was because she was sure that everything was going well.
Write everything down.
She knew who I was, she asked about my other kids, she was kind, and very sympathetic.
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility.
I had a few, the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I think the clinic has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.
They were covered by insurance, so the total bill for the first pregnancy was about $12,000, but we only paid $1500. The embryo storage was $250/6 months. The second and third transfers were about $2500 each, again, partially covered by insurance.
She said she would let the embryologist decide one versus two based on the quality of the day, for the first transfer, and the embryologist said one. For the second and third transfers, I asked for a single embryo.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Strengths [of Dr. Lora Shahine]: Caring, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimistic and positive. Open to alternative therapies to support fertility treatments. Clearly explains procedures and makes you feel at ease. Has used fertility treatments herself, so she understands what you are going through emotionally and physically. Weaknesses: Too positive sometimes.
[Nurse] Danielle was always available to answer my questions, clearly described the process and how to administer injections, and her calendars kept us on track. She was personable, compassionate and friendly. I had excellent interactions with the entire nursing staff....Professional, comfortable, clean, helpful staff. Parking garage. Patient care separated from lab, private rooms to talk about finances with financial counselors.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Strengths: Caring, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimistic and positive. Open to alternative therapies to support fertility treatments. Clearly explains procedures and makes you feel at ease. Has used fertility treatments herself, so she understands what you are going through emotionally and physically. Weaknesses: Too positive sometimes.
My advice is the same for all fertility patients, regardless of doctor: Be prepared with questions and don't be afraid to ask the "silly" question. Be your own advocate - you know your body, and if you don't feel like a course of treatment is working, say so. Ask for other options or changes you can make to improve your outcomes.
Dr. Shahine took the time to explain all treatments and answer all our questions. We never felt rushed during an appointment. When our first embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test, Dr. Shahine called me to express her disappointment at the failure and belief that we would ultimately get pregnant. She genuinely cares about her patients and helping you create a family. She's gone through IVF, so she is uniquely able to understand how you are feeling, both physically and emotionally.
IVF, egg retrieval: 9 days of mini-HCG and Follistem; added Ganirellex on day 5 FET #1, programmed cycle: Delestrogen every three days (estrogen patches were recommended, but we were trying to save money). Delestrogen dosage decreased after initial check because levels too high. Progesterone-in-oil (ethyl oleate) five days before transfer. Diazapam for embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #2, natural cycle: Tried two natural FET cycles but both were canceled because estrogen levels failed to get high enough and follicles stopped growing. FET #2, programmed cycle: At Dr. Shahine's recommendation, returned to the programmed cycle and used estrogen patches instead of delestrogen injections. Patches resulted in more consistent estrogen levels that rose gradually and within acceptable parameters. Progesterone-in-oil changed to sesame oil base because ethyl oleate base was irritating and causing lumps; sesame oil more comfortable for me. Diazapam for transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #3, programmed cycle: Same medicines and protocol for this transfer. Major change was switching to a prenatal with methylfolate instead of folic acid. Positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
IVF and one FET: About $16,000 + medications (about $4,000) + genetics screening (about $5,000) FET #2 and #2: About $5,000 + medications (about $2,000)
Since we elected to have all embryos screened through PGS, Dr. Shahine recommended only transferring one embryo at a time. Her rationale was that transferring two screened embryos did not increase the success rate, only the chance of multiples. And she recommended we try to avoid multiples if possible because it's more stressful to both the mother and babies.
Seattle
Dr. Shahine was always completely open and honest with me and my partner. She welcomed us into her care, and was a huge advocate and supporter of our desire to have a family. She gave us the facts, and prepared us for the road we had ahead of us....I always felt like I was receiving personalized care from not only Dr Shahine, but her entire team [Pacific NW Fertility] as well...The initial recommendation was to go straight to IVf, as I have diminished ovarian reserve and low quality eggs.
The office [Pacific NW Fertility] is well organized, the staff is all really nice, and the finance counselor is great - she helped us navigate through all of the insurance claims. It's nice that the facility is in the hospital, and the office itself is really nice!...My nurse, and the entire team, was absolutely amazing. Emily is so compassionate, so smart and so incredibly organized. She took the time to return my phone calls, even into the evening hours.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I would tell other patients to trust her plan
I always felt like I was receiving personalized care from not only Dr Shahine, but her entire team as well
The initial recommendation was to go straight to IVf, as I have diminished ovarian reserve and low quality eggs. We knew iui was unlikely to work, and Dr Shahine warned that we would likely get tired and overly stressed from all the failed treatments. Due to insurance, we opted to start IuI, even if it failed, just to move on to IVF. Dr Shahine was supportive of this decision, regardless. I was on femara, and then did 3 rounds of IUIs. 2 were unsuccessful, 1 resulted in a pregnancy, but I miscarried around 5.5 weeks. From there, we began the preparations for ivf. I was on birth control for a couple of weeks, and once we did a suppression check, I moved on to the follositim and mini hcg injections. I responded much better to treatment than anticipated- and when we got to egg retrieval, we had 11 eggs. 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blast. Since my estrogen was high, we did not do a fresh transfer - we froze both. We scheduled the first transfer about a month+ from frozen date. The first transfer went well, and I got a positive beta blood test - but unfortunately, it did not last. We did the second transfer a couple of weeks later, and it has worked! Currently pregnant, in my second trimester.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolph)
My nurse, and the entire team, was absolutely amazing. Emily is so compassionate, so smart and so incredibly organized. She took the time to return my phone calls, even into the evening hours. She answered my emails within hours of sending one. She gave me such clear instructions on every step of the way, I never got overwhelmed. Emily was so supportive along this journey - laughing with us when we needed laughter, crying when we needed extra tears, and being extra brave for us, when I needed encouragement.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The office is well organized, the staff is all really nice, and the finance counselor is great - she helped us navigate through all of the insurance claims. It's nice that the facility is in the hospital, and the office itself is really nice!
We were lucky to have insurance - All in, we ended up spending about $10k
2012 - 2016, Successful
When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she [Dr. Lora Shahine] recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back...She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough.
The phone scheduling staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood...About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle...Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails...After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough. When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back.
Choose a doctor that is a good fit for you. Dr Shahine was amazing and I felt truly blessed to have her on my journey.
She genuinely cared about how I felt through the process and was honest about the expectations. She shared in our joy and excitement during pregnancy.
After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose. We did a low dose medication cycle that my body responded well too and got 16 amazing quality embryos. 1st transfer of 1 embryo resulted in pregnancy. 4 years later we used another frozen embryo from same cycle and were successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific NW Fertility.
Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails. Probably just a personality conflict.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The phone scheduling staff is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood
About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle
It was our decision and she said it was up to us. My husband wasn't on board for twins so we did one
Seattle
She [Dr. Lamb] gave me the choice to do a natural FET instead of medicated, but also provided full pros/cons of each. I never questioned my treatment protocol with her and after PGS we ended up with 2 healthy embryos. First FET and we got the good news we were pregnant! Although we were really hoping for more embryos, this was actually exactly what Dr. Lamb had predicted for me (hence the earlier recommendation for multiple cycles).
Kallie [nurse at Pacific NW Fertility] was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification...We did a freeze all cycle, ICSI, PGS, and then a FET. Total cost for everything including meds was just under $30K...This clinic is run like a well oiled machine-from the scheduling, to the lab draws in the same office, finer desk, back desk, financial coordinator, nurses, doctors-they know what they’re doing and it shows. Excellent communication between everyone on staff to keep visits running seamlessly and minimize the time you spend waiting.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lamb was very honest with me about my chances to conceive through IVF. She was up front and suggesting we do a freeze all and multiple IVF cycles to try and get all my embryos now due to our goal of a large family and already being 35. Unfortunately, however, we just didn’t have the finances to do more than one cycle. This was a tough realization and she showed compassion when it brought me to tears that we had to cross our fingers and pray for the best with this one cycle. She gave me the choice to do a natural FET instead of medicated, but also provided full pros/cons of each. I never questioned my treatment protocol with her and after PGS we ended up with 2 healthy embryos. First FET and we got the good news we were pregnant! Although we were really hoping for more embryos, this was actually exactly what Dr. Lamb had predicted for me (hence the earlier recommendation for multiple cycles).
Be direct and go prepared with questions.
Dr. Lamb and Kallie were very personable and made attempts to get know me. I am naturally introverted, but they made it easy to open up about our family planning goals and the goal of having a large family despite starting at age 35
I don’t recall
Kallie was great! There were a couple times she was a bit disorganized, but she was very easy to talk to and ask questions when something needed clarification.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Lamb and the entire PNW fertility clinic very much advocate for single embryo transfers. They gave me the choice to do 2, but provided a very educated pros/cons of 1 vs 2.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
While I was going to egg retrieval stimulation, he [Dr. Hickok] never told me I had thin lining. I had no idea this was an issue until we started the transfer process which as a patient I was not aware how this piece was important to the process. He did not fully inform us that it would likely no work, he acted like you can "roll the dice" and see what happens. I feel it was a waste of one of our 3 PGS embryos. We had sent in 6 but 3 were abnormal.
The organization of the office [Pacific NW Fertility] from appointments, blood work, and the process worked very well. There was never a long wait. It happened once and they acknowledge it but offering Starbucks gift cards and why there was a wait.... They had monitor hours and the process was very easy and quick. I was able to get in and out before work.... Annie was fantastic. She was very compassionate when having to deliver bad news. When she was off, it was very clear on the difference in care I received from other nurses.
How was your experience with Lee Hickok (retired) at Pacific NW Fertility?
While I was going to egg retrieval stimulation, he never told me I had thin lining. I had no idea this was an issue until we started the transfer process which as a patient I was not aware how this piece was important to the process. He did not fully inform us that it would likely no work, he acted like you can "roll the dice" and see what happens. I feel it was a waste of one of our 3 PGS embryos. We had sent in 6 but 3 were abnormal.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Hickok (retired) at Pacific NW Fertility?
He's retired now but I think all clinics should require either an orientation or resources so that patients fully understand the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Hickok (retired) at Pacific NW Fertility?
He has a good bed side manner and was very gentle and explaining the process as this was my first time for IVF.
Describe the protocols Lee Hickok (retired) used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Birth control before starting stims. Ganirelex and Lupron, for stims.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Annie Terry)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The organization of the office from appointments, blood work, and the process worked very well. There was never a long wait. It happened once and they acknowledge it but offering Starbucks gift cards and why there was a wait.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Hickok (retired) at Pacific NW Fertility.
I don't recall as insurance cover most of it outside of genetic testing which was Genesis for $2,500.
Describe Lee Hickok (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
They indicated that the embryos were PGS tested so only SET.
Lee Hickok (retired)
Seattle

Friendly and approachable so I felt comfortable to ask any questions, and left her [Dr. Shahine] appointments knowing what would come next and what actions to take. She is positive (but not in an annoying way) which was reassuring in this stressful time, and she was very supportive of me and my husband. ... Always gave me her full attention. She was realistic but also optimistic, which I think is a hard balance to strike. She’s thoughtful in everything that she says, and you can tell she really is invested in her patients.
The clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] is modern, clean and professional-looking. They did have an error with my insurance billing and overcharged me but reimbursed me later. They have their billing staff on location to discuss any confusion and break down the cost per stage of the cycle. ... Danielle specifically was very easy to talk to and so good at explaining the different steps and our options. I probably talked to her more than the doctor so she was a huge part of our journey.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She was amazing. Friendly and approachable so I felt comfortable to ask any questions, and left her appointments knowing what would come next and what actions to take. She is positive (but not in an annoying way) which was reassuring in this stressful time, and she was very supportive of me and my husband.
You are in good hands, so trust the process and hope for the best.
She was really caring and patient. Always gave me her full attention. She was realistic but also optimistic, which I think is a hard balance to strike. She’s thoughtful in everything that she says, and you can tell she really is invested in her patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Call)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The clinic is modern, clean and professional-looking. They did have an error with my insurance billing and overcharged me but reimbursed me later. They have their billing staff on location to discuss any confusion and break down the cost per stage of the cycle.
I think I paid about $5k out of pocket of the $15-$20k total cost. My insurance covered most of the cost luckily but they did not cover genetic testing.
I remember her saying they didn’t recommend more than one embryo transfer especially for someone my age (33 at the time I think) because of the complications with multiple eggs such as premature labor.
Seattle
I started treatment at 39 and was diagnosed with endometriosis causing blocked tubes. I also was thought to have slightly diminished egg quality. Dr. Lamb recommended laparoscopic surgery prior to proceeding with an embryo transfer. She also recommended that we complete PGD testing. We took both of those steps, which I believe were critical. We completed two rounds of IVF resulting in only one normal embryo. That embryo resulted in pregnancy.
Everyone I encountered at PNW Fertility was kind, encouraging and knowledgeable. We always felt well taken care of. They go out of there way to make numerous required visits as easy as possible...The nursing staff was great, particularly our IVF coordinator who was awesome and really on top of my treatment.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
I could not have asked for more as a patient of Dr. Lamb. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of our questions and concerns. She was optimistic, but also very clear about chances of success and obstacles we may face.
Don't be afraid to ask questions about your treatment or to express concerns. I am one of those people that needs to know what the next steps will be regardless of outcome. Dr. Lamb was very patient in addressing my need to discuss various options and outcomes.
Dr. Lamb and her staff were always kind and generous with their time. I always felt well taken care of and that they were truly invested in my treatment.
Julie Lamb
Lora [Shahine] was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office. When our IUI didn't work, Lora explained the possibilities as to why it may not have worked and took her time in explaining what future course of actions we could choose from...Lora was always so great with both my husband and I. Was in constant contact, never made us feel like we were asking silly questions, and always made us feel like we were a priority to her.
This clinic [Pacific NW Fertility - Sea] has amazing hours! It is clean and the staff is very friendly....I had two different nurses communicate with me during my time with Lora. Each were prompt in their replies to my emails and were great at answering any questions hat I had....Lora [Shahine] was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office. When our IUI didn't work, Lora explained the possibilities as to why it may not have worked and took her time in explaining what future course of actions we could choose from.
Trust her and listen to all she has to say.
Lora was always so great with both my husband and I. Was in constant contact, never made us feel like we were asking silly questions, and always made us feel like we were a priority to her. Lora still keeps in contact even though I moved to the other side of the state.
I used letrozol to help regulate my period which worked wonderfully. My husband stored his sperm as he travels for work and we did an IUI. Before the IUI I received a trigger shot to help trigger ovulation and did an ultrasound to see where I was at in my cycle. The IUI unfortunately didn't work but we continued with letrozol and ended up getting pregnant naturally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I unfortunately do not remember )
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic has amazing hours! It is clean and the staff is very friendly.
I am not 100% sure but I want to say around 1000-1500

2012 - 2016, Successful
Great hours, responsive and very friendly... We had a wonderful experience with Dr. Lamb. This was a really difficult time in my life and I felt supported and respected. They walked us through each step so the process wasn't daunting at all. Dr. Lamb is caring and responsive and she has a great team. Our experience was truly wonderful and we have a beautiful little girl and another baby on the way thanks to our team at PNWF.
How was your experience with Julie Lamb at Pacific NW Fertility?
I felt Dr. Lamb really got to know me. It felt like visiting a friend who happened to know how to help me conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nina and then Kallie )
Wonderful. Provided directions, calendars and was available by email or phone.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Great hours, responsive and very friendly.
iui with both the procedure and sperm collection/spin were about $500. Our IVF total after insurance was about $12,000. Our frozen embryo transfer after insurance was about $300.