Pacific Reproductive Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
381 Corporate Terrace
10 Post
Irvine, CA 92618
720 Lomita Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Reproductive Center to a friend?
4.9
3 doctors
The clinic [Pacific Reproductive Ctr] is nice and well maintained. The clinic is busy and as a result can seem unorganized. The waiting room is inviting and quite, its tucked away in a business area right off the freeway. The clinic is easy to see and commute to... I was not happy with the coordinator Leslie. We had a mix up that cause me to be short with my medication during my first round.... I obvulated early while waiting for egg retrieval procedure. Due to medication mix up
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinic is nice and well maintained. The clinic is busy and as a result can seem unorganized. The waiting room is inviting and quite, its tucked away in a business area right off the freeway. The clinic is easy to see and commute to
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Went to clinic for over a year. Still didn’t know my name
I was not happy with the coordinator Leslie. We had a mix up that cause me to be short with my medication during my first round. She acknowledged that this was her mistake however it causes tonyhe stress of the procedure
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Outside of my obgyn this was the first Experience with a RE. Dr. Salem was always in a rush she never had time to explain treatment and get to know me and my goals for a family. Dr. Salem was unorganized and late to several appointments. She never gave me any alternative options such as donor eggs or fully explained why my fertility was compromised. Or wasn’t until I started to research independently that I discovered what DOR was and that donor eggs may be the best choice. After I asked for Donor egg information, I was told that someone would contact me. No one ever bothered to follow up. After locating another clinic to help me with DEIVF, Dr Salem’s office refused to mail over my medical records in a timely matter. This caused me to redo some tests that could have been avoided. Horrible experience
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Research your situation, ask lots of questions and get several opinions from other doctors. Compare potential protocols
Describe the protocols Shala Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
She put me on low medication the first round that yielded better results. This included clomid and limited injectables. The 2nd round she pumped me with more medication that ended in failure
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
Normal prices about $15k for 2 package cycle and $250 per ultrasound $500 anesthesia
Describe Shala Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The strengths of this clinic [Pacific Reproductive Center] is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. Only weakness would be for most appointment you have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours (only once this long happened). I really believe the wait is because they have a lot of patients and they take their time with each patient.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The strengths of this clinic is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. Only weakness would be for most appointment you have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours (only once this long happened). I really believe the wait is because they have a lot of patients and they take their time with each patient.
Dr Salem from day 1 of meeting her and every single appointment with her always took her time with us. She answered any and all questions we had during the process. She explained all procedures they would be doing. She never made me feel like she didn't have time to talk to me or that any of my concerns or fears were invalid. She never pushed us to do anything we didn't want to do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Leslie )
Leslie & Amy are both primary nurses which would oversee my different cycles. Both of them are amazing, they always got me my calendar for cycle fast and answered any questions I had. They were very compassionate with my losses and kept telling me they had hope and knew it would work. They were more optimistic than I could find the strength to be. They understand my fears and were supportive. They never tried to answer questions or give advice which was out of their scope of knowledge which I appreciated. There are other nurses at both facilities who helped with procedures, taking blood work and they also were very personal and invested in our success. They always talked with me, made sure I was told what was going to be done and made sure I was comfortable with what we were doing.
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
When we first met Dr Salem to discuss our struggles trying to conceive over the last year, she discussed with us what testing we could do and that from there we could discuss options. At that time I had no clue I would need IVF so I told her we did not want to do that, she was fine with our choices. When she called to give me the diagnosis of hydrosalpinx of both tubes, I was devasted and sobbing. She talked with me and never brought up IVF because at our consult we said we didn't want to do it. We chose to go forward with IVF because we knew it was our chance at children together which we so wanted. We met with her and she was kind, I had a notebook full of questions she talked to us about all the options for our IVF cycle. We decided what procedures we wanted to include (ICSI, AH & PGS). I went through each question in my notebook and she answered them all. I have done a fresh cycle/transfer, FET and two more fresh cycle/transfers with PRC. Dr. Salem was involved in all but one (she was on maternity leave). I always felt she cared about us, she wanted me to understand the process, she wanted to figure out how to help us. She is kind, knowledgable, always available for questions and very compassionate. As a result of my cycles I have a 21 month old son and am currently expecting twin girls.
Don't be afraid to ask her questions and trust that she has your best interest at heart. She really cares about her patients.
All of my fresh cycles have been the Long Lupron Protocol with Follistim & Menopur and then trigger with Pregnyl (HCG). All of my fresh cycle we have done AH, ICSI and PGS testing with a fresh day 5 transfer of 2 embryos. My first IVF cycle worked and I got pregnant with my son in 2013, he was born 2014. In 2015 we did an FET with embryos from the 2013 cycle and had a CP. Prior to start of FET we did a hysteroscopy which showed uterus was clear from scarring and polyps. We then did a fresh cycle after which also resulted in a CP. We added Cabergoline this cycle to reduce risk of OHSS because I'm a high reposnder and e2 tends to get a bit high. For the next fresh cycle we did an RPL panel and checked NK cells, the results came back pretty normal except Vitamin D slightly low so I started a D3 supplement. We also repeated hysteroscopy and did endo scratch. Hysteroscopy revealed a polyp and scar tissue which was removed. During the stim cycle we added Heparin until 12 weeks gestation and intralipid infusions during stims, at embryo transfer and after positive pregnancy confirmed with 2 beta HCG blood tests. This cycle and these changes resulted in twin girls which are due October 2016.
Our FET cost about $7000 including all medication. The fresh cycles ranged from $20,000-$25,000 which included all procedures, office visits, monitoring, medication, ICSI, AH & PGS testing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The strengths of this clinic [Pacific Reproductive Center] is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. They are also willing to listen to your input and take your thoughts on the cycle into consideration. Only weakness would be that they only have one facility that it equipped to do procedures so when you have them there is some traveling needed. I personally stayed at a hotel near that locations to take the stress out of travel with time specific procedures.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The strengths of this clinic is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. They are also willing to listen to your input and take your thoughts on the cycle into consideration. Only weakness would be that they only have one facility that it equipped to do procedures so when you have them there is some traveling needed. I personally stayed at a hotel near that locations to take the stress out of travel with time specific procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Dr. Rifaat Salem performed all of my procedures (hysteroscopy, egg retrievals, embryo transfers, polyp removal and endo scratch). Each and every time he saw me he knew who I was, spoke to me using my first name before each procedure he always came to say hi and check on me. He was always up front and honest with me about how things were going.
The nursing staff here is absolutely amazing. During all my procedures they made me feel so comfortable, they explained everything they were doing and what would be done. They also took time to talk to me and get to know me personally. They shared good things they noticed during each of my cycles and they shared in my joy when the cycles worked and my pain when they didn't. They were always positive and optimistic.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I first net doctor Rifaat Salem for my first egg retrieval, he cane to see while I was getting prepped and introduced himself and explained the procedure. He went on to to many more egg retrievals and transfers as well as other procedures during the multiple cycles we did. He knew us personally and always made me feel at home at that office. I always trusted his expertise as well as his staff, he has a lot of experience and keeps the best staff on hand to treat his patients with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He may seem matter of fact but I personally appreciated his cander with us on what we needed to do and how things were going. You can ask himanything and he will take the time to make sure you understand.
Describe the protocols Rifaat Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
2013 - 2015
The clinics strengths are that the doctor is wonderful want the surgery staff [Pacific Reproductive Center] is fantastic! Weaknesses would be that sometimes getting information from the nurses is very frustrating. When I was trying to get the result as to whether or not I was pregnant both the nurses and the receptionist claimed they couldn't check the fax machine (that's where the results would be)... Apparently it was some unknown person that checked it and emailed it to them
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinics strengths are that the doctor is wonderful want the surgery staff is fantastic! Weaknesses would be that sometimes getting information from the nurses is very frustrating. When I was trying to get the result as to whether or not I was pregnant both the nurses and the receptionist claimed they couldn't check the fax machine (that's where the results would be)... Apparently it was some unknown person that checked it and emailed it to them... Finally they must have figured out who checked it or how to do so because I finally got the results to my FET...BFN. However, during my fresh cycle everyone was wonderful... So maybe it was a fluke the second time ...
He listened to my questions and explained things in a way I could understand.
Our first cycle with PRC was fantastic. The nurses were so helpful and available. However, for the FET I got very frustrated, they took a long time to get back to me when I called. All of that I could have overlooked, but when I was waiting for my results I had a horrible experience! So they told me that I was pregnant because my blood work showed that I was pregnant, but then it didn't double like it should have, so they had me get my blood drawn again the next day. However, they kept having some difficulties getting my results and wouldn't call me back. I had to call 14 times to finally find out that I was no longer pregnant and actually just had a chemical pregnancy. It was emotional and very frustrating.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He was a great doctor and explained things really well. He was compassionate and very confident. He was willing to talk when I had questions and he was very positive. He gave us another consultation after we had our first daughter and wanted to try again and really explained our chances with the remaining embryos we had.
Come prepared with questions
For my fresh cycle with Dr. Salem I took metformin all throughout and I was on birth control for 19 days, 14 days in I started Lupron 10 U shots. I did the Lupron shots for 18 days. CD2 I started taking prenatal vitamins, started Follistim 150 shots, Menopur shots, medrol 16 mg/day, and a baby aspirin. I had about 30 eggs growing on each ovary so we scaled down the medications from about CD7...I can't remember exactly what they had me do, but I think I skipped a dose of Follistim. I took all of that for 7 days. On CD12 I had an HCG trigger shot. I had my egg retrieval CD 13. That day I started progesterone injections 1 mL/day, doxycycline (just for 5 days), and delestrogen (0.3 mL twice a week). I continued the prenatal, baby aspirin, and medrol. On CD18 I had my embryo transfer. As far as blood work and ultrasounds: I had blood work and ultrasounds done CD1, CD7, CD9, and CD11. We transferred 2 embryos to increase our chances of at least one implanting. Then I was on bed rest for 3 days. Ten days after the transfer I had a blood test to see if I was pregnant, then two days later I had another test. And i was! Then when I was 7 weeks along I had an ultrasound to make sure there was a heartbeat and then had an ultrasound again at 9 weeks and then I was released to my regular OB. For the Frozen embryo transfer we did about 2 years later I was on metformin all throughout and BC for 16 days. 10 days in I started Lupron 15U shots. I took 15U for 11 days and then we took it down to 10U. On CD2 I started prenatal vitamins daily, baby aspirin daily, and delestrogen .5 mL injections twice a week until CD13. On CD14 I started medrol 16 mg/day and progesterone .50mg shot. Throughout that time I had blood work and ultrasounds on CD1 and CD11. And just blood work on CD8. The embryo transfer was CD19. We transferred 2 embryos again. After the transfer I stopped the Lupron, but started the progesterone vaginal capsules daily, and continued the rest of my medication (progesterone injections, prenatals, baby aspirin, medrol, and delestrogen). Seven days later I had my first blood draw to check to see if I was pregnant and to 2 days later had another. That one ended up being a chemical pregnancy.
It was about $10000 plus medications which were about $3000
Glendale
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Salem [of Pacific Reproductive Center in Torrence] never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested...Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
This clinic is owned and operated by Rifaat Salem and I strongly recommend against anyone using their services.
Dr Salem never remember what was going on in my cycles when he was examining me or asking me questions. He didn't bother to glance at my chart to find out which cycle day I was on and he would ask the same questions at every visit, not remembering me from even 2-4 days prior.
The nursing staff at the Irvine office were far more genuine and caring than those at the Torrance location. I wish they could have handled the procedures instead of just monitoring.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Dr Salem never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested. He was working on opening a clinic in Dubai and not paying any attention to his work. I didn't lose confidence in him after my failed FET because things happen and no fertility treatment guarantees success so I agreed to do another fresh cycle. That cycle was a nightmare, he barley glance at my ovaries during ultrasounds while I was on stims, only measured ONE follicle so he never increased my dosage when I wasn't responding well. Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Choose another doctor. Dr Salem doesn't care about his patients.
Dr Salem prescribed menopur and follistim. He did not properly monitor my follicle growth for my fresh cycle in 2015 like he did in 2013. I needed severa dosage adjustments the first time around. The second time he never bothered to measure my follicle sizes and never increased my dosage throughout the cycle.
My first cycle was a two cycle package (only used one to get pregnant) was $15,000 without medication. I qualified for a reduced rate for a second single cycle later and it was $8500 without medications.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
I had a good experience with the nursing staff. They [Pacific Repro Ctr] were very nice...The weakness is when I was having my ultrasound sound done to see how many eggs I had. I recall the lady saying I had a lot. Then when I reviewed it with the doctor, she said I didn’t have enough. So there is miscommunication...I paid 1300 to have my polyps removed. And 150 to test my husband....I just feel like the doctor wanted to go straight to IVF when we first talked.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
I feel like she wanted to go straight to IVF. I wanted to try clomid first and go from there. But she says IVF is best. I did have the procedure to remove the polyps. So I’m hoping it will help now if I can be so lucky to have a grant! Secondary infertility is the worst. I have so much guilt that my daughter will have no one.
I had a good experience with the nursing staff. They were very nice.
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I feel like she wanted to go to IVF right away and I didn’t understand why. I’m a nurse and I felt like it was a money game. I wanted to start with clomid first and then go from there. She said she didn’t recommend it with no real explanation.
Get a second opinion
I feel like we got no where. The last tho g I did was do the hsg which showed a filling defect. Then I did have polyps removed. And never went back sense.
I don’t remember but I paid 1300 to have my polyps removed. And 150 to test my husband.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
They [nurses at Pacific Reproductive Center] were extremely nice and showed compassion and care. I didn't interact too much with them.. from what I did, it was good...IVF was going to be upwards of $20-30k (with PGS testing)...It is a beautiful office. I felt like they rushed me to IVF without giving me other options first. Although I eventually did do IVF, I went with a different clinic... so just know what you want when you go in ther.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
I was talked to respectfully and given information I could understand. I never felt like I was just a number or rushed.
They were extremely nice and showed compassion and care. I didn't interact too much with them.. from what I did, it was good.
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
She was nice but I did feel like IVF was the way she wanted to go even when I wanted to try IUI and clomid first. She was a good doctor though and understanding. I did value her opinion and what she was telling me.. it just felt like she always wanted me to do more.
Definitely go.. but also get a second opinion.
Clomid/IUI - but it got cancelled because I ovulated too soon Clomid/IUI - but it also got cancelled and i was told to just TTC on the clomid Saline Ultrasound
IVF was going to be upwards of $20-30k (with PGS testing)
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
If you start at the Corona office [of Pacific Reproductive Center] keep in mind to do almost all the procedures you have to travel to Torrence. This was not told to us at first so it was a bit of a surprise...The main nurse was very kind. She was very knowledgeable...Clinic was in a good location. And I a nice building. There isn’t always someone manning the front desk so i has to wait around a few times. There is a separate room for blood draw. And another room for ultra sounds. The nurse had her own office.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
He was kind and compassionate. He went into great detail on a plan he thought would work. We chose to continue with a FET due to finances but he suggested a fresh would be better for our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Don’t remember )
The main nurse was very kind. She was very knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He spent a good amount of time looking at our chart to try to figure the best next thing. I felt like he cared and wanted to succeed. He wasn’t always available because his main office was at the Torrance location.
If you start at the Corona office keep in mind to do almost all the procedures you have to travel to Torrence. This was not told to us at first so it was a bit of a surprise.
This was a FET. Lupron was used.
$5000
Describe Rifaat Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.
He was comfortable doing 3.
2010 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Strengths [at Pacific Reproductive Center] : big waiting room. Weakness: Receptionist was not the kindness person. Not always someone at the front desk. Building was nice and clean. The nurses station was clean and in a separate room...She [nurse] was very attentive and kind...She [Dr. Shala Salem] spent about half an hour on our first meeting going over my last IVF and results. She would come in to do my ultra sounds but only spent about 5 minutes doing that. No real conversation ever happen with her. The nurses did all the communicating with me. She would come in so the ultra sounds and then walk out.
2010 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
Strengths: big waiting room. Weakness: Receptionist was not the kindness person. Not always someone at the front desk. Building was nice and clean. The nurses station was clean and in a separate room.
She did not try to get to know my situation or even my name. The whole process with her felt ingenuine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
She was very attentive and kind
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
She spent about half an hour on our first meeting going over my last IVF and results. She would come in to do my ultra sounds but only spent about 5 minutes doing that. No real conversation ever happen with her. The nurses did all the communicating with me. She would come in so the ultra sounds and then walk out.
Be strong and demand her attention.
I don’t remember.