6.7

10 Post
Irvine, CA 92618
720 Lomita Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505

I met him [Dr. Salem] twice. ... He never responded to phone calls between the two meetings. When I would see him in the waiting room or hallway, he would ignore me. At the final meeting, he was cold and indifferent. When I started to cry, he told me it was time for me to leave. ... I had questions about all sorts if things and he didn’t care enough to ever respond because I had already written a check.
The staff only get in touch about payments. You have to aggressively pursue them for answers about medications, method and placement of shots, timing of shots, and making next appointments. ... Instructions for medications were incomplete and at times incorrect and even non-existent. ... . They did not treat me with respect or dignity. The medical procedures started and ended oddly. They’d tell me an anesthesiologist would come talk to me before a procedure but that never happened, for example
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He was very charming the first time I met him. From then on, he had no contact with me via phone or email. I had questions about all sorts if things and he didn’t care enough to ever respond because I had already written a check.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Stay far far away. Find another doctor like Dr. Lin in Irvine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I met him twice. The first time was for the initial consultation. The 2nd time was when the egg implantation was to occur but unfortunately both embryos were aneuploid and not appropriate for anything but research. He never responded to phone calls between the two meetings. When I would see him in the waiting room or hallway, he would ignore me. At the final meeting, he was cold and indifferent. When I started to cry, he told me it was time for me to leave.
Describe the protocols Rifaat Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Hysteroscopy for egg retrieval Medications such as cetride, clomid, gonal-f to grow as many eggs as possible 2 fertilized eggs were checked with pgd, both had aneuploidy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Alex Corona)
Instructions for medications were incomplete and at times incorrect and even non-existent. The team was hard to get in touch with. They rarely called back and emails were short and non-informational. After surgeries, I was allowed to walk out without a caregiver although I had to sign legal documents saying they would not release me without a caregiver due to the anesthesiology. After surgeries, I would find things still taped to me even though they had disconnected IVs and breathing tubes.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
This place is either offering bad faith medicine on purpose or completely dysfunctional. The staff only get in touch about payments. You have to aggressively pursue them for answers about medications, method and placement of shots, timing of shots, and making next appointments. It is almost like they want you to fail 2-3 times so they get more money.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific Reproductive Center.
It ruined my schedule. It was never according to my convenience but according to theirs. It was come tomorrow at 2. There was no choice. If I didn’t go at 2, the cycle was canceled and there’d be no refund or rolling leftover funds over to the next. cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
$30k
Describe Rifaat Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.
He strongly advised implanting more than one embryo if he was able to retrieve multiple eggs
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I feel like they took my money and gave me enough to keep coming back for more in hopes of a baby. They did not treat me with respect or dignity. The medical procedures started and ended oddly. They’d tell me an anesthesiologist would come talk to me before a procedure but that never happened, for example
Torrance

The clinic [Pacific Reproductive Ctr] is nice and well maintained. The clinic is busy and as a result can seem unorganized. The waiting room is inviting and quite, its tucked away in a business area right off the freeway. The clinic is easy to see and commute to... I was not happy with the coordinator Leslie. We had a mix up that cause me to be short with my medication during my first round.... I obvulated early while waiting for egg retrieval procedure. Due to medication mix up
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Outside of my obgyn this was the first Experience with a RE. Dr. Salem was always in a rush she never had time to explain treatment and get to know me and my goals for a family. Dr. Salem was unorganized and late to several appointments. She never gave me any alternative options such as donor eggs or fully explained why my fertility was compromised. Or wasn’t until I started to research independently that I discovered what DOR was and that donor eggs may be the best choice. After I asked for Donor egg information, I was told that someone would contact me. No one ever bothered to follow up. After locating another clinic to help me with DEIVF, Dr Salem’s office refused to mail over my medical records in a timely matter. This caused me to redo some tests that could have been avoided. Horrible experience
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Research your situation, ask lots of questions and get several opinions from other doctors. Compare potential protocols
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Went to clinic for over a year. Still didn’t know my name
Describe the protocols Shala Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
She put me on low medication the first round that yielded better results. This included clomid and limited injectables. The 2nd round she pumped me with more medication that ended in failure
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I was not happy with the coordinator Leslie. We had a mix up that cause me to be short with my medication during my first round. She acknowledged that this was her mistake however it causes tonyhe stress of the procedure
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinic is nice and well maintained. The clinic is busy and as a result can seem unorganized. The waiting room is inviting and quite, its tucked away in a business area right off the freeway. The clinic is easy to see and commute to
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
Normal prices about $15k for 2 package cycle and $250 per ultrasound $500 anesthesia
Describe Shala Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr Salem never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested...Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Dr Salem [of Pacific Reproductive Center in Torrence] never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested...Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Dr Salem never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested. He was working on opening a clinic in Dubai and not paying any attention to his work. I didn't lose confidence in him after my failed FET because things happen and no fertility treatment guarantees success so I agreed to do another fresh cycle. That cycle was a nightmare, he barley glance at my ovaries during ultrasounds while I was on stims, only measured ONE follicle so he never increased my dosage when I wasn't responding well. Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Choose another doctor. Dr Salem doesn't care about his patients.
Dr Salem never remember what was going on in my cycles when he was examining me or asking me questions. He didn't bother to glance at my chart to find out which cycle day I was on and he would ask the same questions at every visit, not remembering me from even 2-4 days prior.
Dr Salem prescribed menopur and follistim. He did not properly monitor my follicle growth for my fresh cycle in 2015 like he did in 2013. I needed severa dosage adjustments the first time around. The second time he never bothered to measure my follicle sizes and never increased my dosage throughout the cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Reproductive Center.
The nursing staff at the Irvine office were far more genuine and caring than those at the Torrance location. I wish they could have handled the procedures instead of just monitoring.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
This clinic is owned and operated by Rifaat Salem and I strongly recommend against anyone using their services.
My first cycle was a two cycle package (only used one to get pregnant) was $15,000 without medication. I qualified for a reduced rate for a second single cycle later and it was $8500 without medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinic staff were not operating well while a new clinic was being opened in Dubai.
Torrance

I feel like she [Dr. Salem] wanted to go to IVF right away and I didn’t understand why. I’m a nurse and I felt like it was a money game. I wanted to start with clomid first and then go from there. She said she didn’t recommend it with no real explanation....she says IVF is best. I did have the procedure to remove the polyps....when I reviewed it with the doctor, she said I didn’t have enough. So there is miscommunication
I had a good experience with the nursing staff. They [Pacific Repro Ctr] were very nice...The weakness is when I was having my ultrasound sound done to see how many eggs I had. I recall the lady saying I had a lot. Then when I reviewed it with the doctor, she said I didn’t have enough. So there is miscommunication...I paid 1300 to have my polyps removed. And 150 to test my husband....I just feel like the doctor wanted to go straight to IVF when we first talked.
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I feel like she wanted to go to IVF right away and I didn’t understand why. I’m a nurse and I felt like it was a money game. I wanted to start with clomid first and then go from there. She said she didn’t recommend it with no real explanation.
Get a second opinion
I feel like she wanted to go straight to IVF. I wanted to try clomid first and go from there. But she says IVF is best. I did have the procedure to remove the polyps. So I’m hoping it will help now if I can be so lucky to have a grant! Secondary infertility is the worst. I have so much guilt that my daughter will have no one.
I feel like we got no where. The last tho g I did was do the hsg which showed a filling defect. Then I did have polyps removed. And never went back sense.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I had a good experience with the nursing staff. They were very nice.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
I don’t remember but I paid 1300 to have my polyps removed. And 150 to test my husband.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I just feel like the doctor wanted to go straight to IVF when we first talked.

2010 - 2012, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Shala Salem] did not try to get to know my situation or even my name. The whole process with her felt ingenuine...She spent about half an hour on our first meeting going over my last IVF and results. She would come in to do my ultra sounds but only spent about 5 minutes doing that. No real conversation ever happen with her. The nurses did all the communicating with me. She would come in so the ultra sounds and then walk out.
Strengths [at Pacific Reproductive Center] : big waiting room. Weakness: Receptionist was not the kindness person. Not always someone at the front desk. Building was nice and clean. The nurses station was clean and in a separate room...She [nurse] was very attentive and kind...She [Dr. Shala Salem] spent about half an hour on our first meeting going over my last IVF and results. She would come in to do my ultra sounds but only spent about 5 minutes doing that. No real conversation ever happen with her. The nurses did all the communicating with me. She would come in so the ultra sounds and then walk out.
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Be strong and demand her attention.
She did not try to get to know my situation or even my name. The whole process with her felt ingenuine.
I don’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
She was very attentive and kind
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
Strengths: big waiting room. Weakness: Receptionist was not the kindness person. Not always someone at the front desk. Building was nice and clean. The nurses station was clean and in a separate room.
$12500
Corona

He [Dr. Rifaat Salem] was at my first monitoring appointment and said I might have PCOS because of the amount of follicles I had, and then is was a different Dr or nurse everytime after. no other Dr or nurse mentioned PCOS...I wasted two of my progyny cycles with Rifaat that I did not get back...Two cylcles of clomid, 50mg. because he was sure I could get pregnant with just clomid. both times negative
Every time I went in [to Pacific Reproductive Center] I had to explain to a different Dr or Nurse what they were looking at on the ultrasound. I seen a different person everytime...This is a horrible clinic, stay away. they have no strengths, very inconsistent and just want your money. why is Salem Rifaat still practicing.
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I have uterine fibroids so I went in for a consultation. He advised I could definitely get pregnant with my fibroids, and the biggest was a 5cm. He said we should start with clomid and I needed to have a Uterine biopsy. The biopsy took place at another office where I had to pay out of pocket because my insurance didn't cover that facility. When I asked if I needed the procedure, it was said, its good to have. So I had the procedure which was later confirmed by my OBGYN and three other fertility Dr's to not have been necessary. He was at my first monitoring appointment and said I might have PCOS because of the amount of follicles I had, and then is was a different Dr or nurse everytime after. no other Dr or nurse mentioned PCOS, but they would ask me if I had fibroids, the biggest fibroid everyone acted like they didnt know it was a fibroid and at on time a nurse said maybe it was a growth off my kidney. the second clomid cycle failed as well. We were going to start the 3rd cycle and I went in for monitoring. It was a different Dr Salem, a women. After the ultrasound she immediately said " I do not recommend continuing treatment cycles until you removed these fibroids" she was very shocked I started clomid cycles. I wasted two of my progyny cycles with Rifaat that I did not get back. I just got off of the table and walked out. The I got a second opinion and they also said the fibroids needed to be removed before any thoughts of pregnancy. The 5cm fibroid that he said was the biggest and OK to get pregnant with was really a 7cm fibroid and there were more than 4!!!
Stay AWAY!
Every time I went in I had to explain to a different Dr or Nurse what they were looking at on the ultrasound. I seen a different person everytime
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I seen a different nurse everytime and I had to explain my situation multiple times. didnt spend enough time with one
covered under insurance