7.3

Palo Alto, CA 94301
2581 Samaritan Dr.
San Jose, CA 95124

Treated 2016
We loved working with Dr. Abusief. The only downside is that since it's a large practice there were appointments where I saw one of her colleagues instead. She did not perform my egg retrievals or transfers because she was not "on-call" that day. She took over as the medical director and seemed stretched a little thin. I would have liked it more if there were less doctors involved and I was able to work with Dr. Abusief more exclusively.... She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
I bought a package through ARC that covered one retrieval and fresh transfer and one frozen transfer [at Palo Alto Medical Foundation]. The package was around $12-13,000 and did not cover ICSI or more than a set number of ultrasounds in a cycle. I paid extra for needing extra monitoring appointments as well as a whole lot of blood work, ultrasounds, and endometrial pipelle procedure for a chemical pregnancy...This clinic's strength is that the doctors meet daily for rounds so everyone is up to date on all of the patients who are in-cycle. The weakness is that there are so many doctors involved that you will likely be seen by multiple different doctors over the course of several days and may receive different information.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Be prepared for the fact that even if you like her a lot, you may not enjoy her colleagues as much and will often be in their direct care instead of hers. Although she was my primary RE, I was seen by many other doctors during my cycles with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She takes a lot of time with her clients and is very warm and personable. She is incredibly intelligent and up to date, but communicates her knowledge in a way that is not intimidating. She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
Describe the protocols Mary Abusief used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
It was my first IVF cycle and we used a standard long-lupron down regulation protocol. They retrieved 9 eggs, however only 6 were mature. No human growth hormone was used, just the lupron, gonal-f, and menopur. She stated that she started me on a higher dose of gonadotropins due to my low AMH, however I've always had an even higher dose with subsequent cycles with other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was in touch with me constantly during my cycle and extremely helpful. For my second cycle I was assigned a different nurse. I don't remember much about her.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
This clinic's strength is that the doctors meet daily for rounds so everyone is up to date on all of the patients who are in-cycle. The weakness is that there are so many doctors involved that you will likely be seen by multiple different doctors over the course of several days and may receive different information. One doctor I met with had incredibly awful bedside manner and I refused to be seen by him again, which meant that I had to drive to another clinic to see a different doctor. The clinic I primary visited was very private and peaceful, however some of the clinics that I had to drive to for my appointments were located inside of a larger medical facility. I had to sit in a waiting room that was shared with regular OBGYN patients who were pregnant- not great when you are going through fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I bought a package through ARC that covered one retrieval and fresh transfer and one frozen transfer. The package was around $12-13,000 and did not cover ICSI or more than a set number of ultrasounds in a cycle. I paid extra for needing extra monitoring appointments as well as a whole lot of blood work, ultrasounds, and endometrial pipelle procedure for a chemical pregnancy.
Describe Mary Abusief's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They will only transfer 2 embryos if you use day 3 embryos for my age bracket (Under 30). If you are using day 5 embryos, they will only transfer 1.
Treated 2014 - 2016
Success w/ Doc 16 Eggs Frozen
I felt they [Dr Abusief and team] were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
[The nurses at PAMF were] compassionate. the main scheduling nurse was v. organized and clear. Also the PAMF clinic on fertility treatments SC injection was excellent...The clinic is fine. They were less hard to get an appointment for then some others in the area. Since they are now part of PAMF it was sometimes hard to figure who to talk to for what (billing etc).
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I felt they were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
The desk staff and phone systems are a huge labyrinth of confusion. Just persevere and you will get through.
While they were very respectful kind and gentle, ultimately they refused to help me conceive until my divorce was complete because their lawyers advised them that the law was murky. My divorce is now approaching 2 years in limbo and I'm am just waiting to use my frozen eggs. It would have been much easier to use sperm but now I'm over 40 and clock is ticking away- all because of lawyers and a stupid law that says it's husbands kid even if biology proves it's someone else's sperm. dumb. not a humane choice.
Both were to freeze eggs: First Cycle which only yielded 4 frozen eggs lupron 10 then Gonal F300 +minopur then HCG trigger Second Cycle yielded 12 frozen eggs: GonalF300 + minopur+dexameth pill Ganriliex HCG trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Compassionate. the main scheduling nurse was v. organized and clear. Also the PAMF clinic on fertility treatments SC injection was excellent
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I was self pay. The fees are pretty set and standard. The fee for the full egg retrieval process was about 10K plus I had insurance for the drugs part so I'm not sure how much that was.
East Palo Alto - University
Dr. Mary is kind and compassionate. She spent good time reviewing our case and created a clear plan going forward. She has been available for communication thus far and has not run over 20 minutes late for any of our appointments. ... The plan so far is: estrogen priming followed by a lupron downreg protocol. St in meds include: Follistim or Gonal-F and menopur. We will use conventional fertilization.
Staff [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] seems accessible and there has been a good response time for all questions we've asked. ... We haven't been able to see our RE for all appointments. ... All the staff so far have been wonderful, kind and accessible. I've received responses from my RE in a timely manner both email and voicemail. ... We've only met with her [nurse] once so far. She was timely, clear, thorough and answered all our questions. We did not feel rushed.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
You may not be able to see Dr. Mary for each treatment. She acknowledged that she does not specialize in autoimmune infertility, but makes appropriate referrals to a clinic nearby that does with whom she works closely.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Justine Law as, RN)
We've only met with her once so far. She was timely, clear, thorough and answered all our questions. We did not feel rushed.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
It's far away from us. We chose this clinic as it is in network work our insurance. Because we had to stay in network due to insurance coverage, we researched all the doctors to find the best fit for us. They have clinics all over the SF Bay area, which can be convenient or tricky. We haven't been able to see our RE for all appointments. Staff seems accessible and there has been a good response time for all questions we've asked.
We're still figuring this out. Estimated to be $15,000 for IVF. Additional for our FET.
With PGS testing , the recommendation is a single embryo transfer
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Abusief] has been amazing. She always stops and listens to all my concerns and thoroughly and thoughtfully answers every question. She responds to e-mail and phone messages quickly. Dr. A has been willing to work with me and factor in what I am comfortable with, rather than just telling me what to do. She is right there on our team with us...was incredibly understanding and supportive of me going at my own pace. I never felt pressured or like a number in any way. A year ago I would have never believed that I would be brave enough to undergo a hysteroscopy and do 4 medicated Luis. Dr. Abusief's support all the way through was really key in helping me overcome my fear.
I saw the doctors [at PAMF] much more than the nursing staff. My interactions with the nursing staff were brief but positive. They were helpful reaching out and making sure everything was scheduled...There are multiple doctors you may see, which I actually saw as a strength. You can also to try to schedule things so you can see your own doctor as much as possible. They are open every single day, which makes scheduling so much easier.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. A told us what the normal protocols were, but was also flexible and patient when I asked about possible deviations. It took a lot of effort for me to go to a fertility doctor, and at first I was very scared. Dr. A was incredibly understanding and supportive of me going at my own pace. I never felt pressured or like a number in any way. A year ago I would have never believed that I would be brave enough to undergo a hysteroscopy and do 4 medicated Luis. Dr. Abusief's support all the way through was really key in helping me overcome my fear.
Be honest and ask a lot of questions.
Dr. A has been amazing. She always stops and listens to all my concerns and thoroughly and thoughtfully answers every question. She responds to e-mail and phone messages quickly. Dr. A has been willing to work with me and factor in what I am comfortable with, rather than just telling me what to do. She is right there on our team with us.
Letrozole, progesterone, orvidrel
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I saw the doctors much more than the nursing staff. My interactions with the nursing staff were brief but positive. They were helpful reaching out and making sure everything was scheduled.
Treated 2017 - 2018
The Dr [Abusief] has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.... [Eset Approach] The office has a policy to only transfer one but on occasion they may make an exception but it had to be a team decision.
Staff [PAMF] are great, and it's easy to get last-minute appointments. You often need to remind staff of existing conditions to make sure a procedure or medication won't interfere. It would be nice to be able to access the IVF coordinators directly but currently you have to go through the phone operators and leave a message.... [Cost Of Treatment] $16,000 fresh IVF with ICSI, $5000 for medications $1500 for IUI (I think)...
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
The Dr has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.
Get a consultation but also speak with 1-2 other clinics before jumping in as it's hard to jump ship later on.
The Dr is very warm, thoughtful and engaging.
Good group, kind and follow up as they say they will.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Staff are great, and it's easy to get last-minute appointments. You often need to remind staff of existing conditions to make sure a procedure or medication won't interfere. It would be nice to be able to access the IVF coordinators directly but currently you have to go through the phone operators and leave a message.
$16,000 fresh IVF with ICSI, $5000 for medications $1500 for IUI (I think)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Early on an HCG was scheduled too close to ovulation. Another time I thought I came in for an ultrasound but it was actually for an SHG. Haven't had issues like that in the past 6 months.
Treated 2015 - 2017
When beta was confirmed, he [Dr. Anthony Dobson] started me on lovonox for 12 weeks. This resulted in my 5 month old daughter...I was on low dosages of each because of my PCOS and I could be easily over stimulated. I stimmed for two and a half weeks. I had 44 eggs, and did an ICSI split. 19 fertilized with ICSI and 1 the traditional way. I ended up with 9 day 5 blasts...He takes the time to talk about treatment, next steps, and what each step will entail. My first visit, he spent 2 hours talking through IVF and what I could expect. He took the time to answer my messages at 10:30 at night and was always willing to talk when I had questions.
They [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] were great. They always were able to find me an appointment, whether it was with my dr or not. They were flexible in scheduling me as early as possible because of my work. The secretaries were very responsive. They are a very busy practice, so it was sometimes hard to get squeezed in, but they did it!...She [the nurse] was amazing. She called me back after ever question, guided me through each of the transfers, and called me the minute my beta was availible.
How was your experience with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He is kind and caring. He takes the time to talk about treatment, next steps, and what each step will entail. My first visit, he spent 2 hours talking through IVF and what I could expect. He took the time to answer my messages at 10:30 at night and was always willing to talk when I had questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Get on his list! He cares deeply about each of his patients. I would also recommend asking as many questions as you feel you need to understand the process. He’s willing to answer them
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He took great interest in our case. When we had several miscarriages, he really took the time to find out why, and recommend a course of treatment that might fix the issue and it did. He was just as excited as me when the heartbeat appeared on my last ultrasound.
Describe the protocols Anthony Dobson used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
For my retrieval, they used ganarelix, follistom, and menopure. I was on low dosages of each because of my PCOS and I could be easily over stimulated. I stimmed for two and a half weeks. I had 44 eggs, and did an ICSI split. 19 fertilized with ICSI and 1 the traditional way. I ended up with 9 day 5 blasts. We transfered one fresh on day 3. This did not result in a pregnancy. My first FET we did oral estrace 3 Times a day and then vaginal estrace after 10 days to increase lining. Also used Lupron for two weeks. PIO shots began 5 days before transfer. This resulted in a blighted ovum at 7 weeks. Since this protocol was successful in getting me pregnant, we used the same protocol with the addition to estrogen patches for lining support. This resulted in a miscarriage at 5 weeks. My final FET was similar with the addition of baby aspirin and 2 estrogen patches. When beta was confirmed, he started me on lovonox for 12 weeks. This resulted in my 5 month old daughter
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kim Haas)
She was amazing. She called me back after ever question, guided me through each of the transfers, and called me the minute my beta was availible.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They were great. They always were able to find me an appointment, whether it was with my dr or not. They were flexible in scheduling me as early as possible because of my work. The secretaries were very responsive. They are a very busy practice, so it was sometimes hard to get squeezed in, but they did it!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Initial cost for retrieval, fresh transfer, and one FET was $14565. Cost of meds was $1500. For each FET after that, it was approx 4,500 and meds were $400-500.
Describe Anthony Dobson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
He suggested because I was 29/30 at the age of transfers, one embryo was our best shot because I had a high chance of multiples with more than one embryo

Treated 2016
PAMF Infertility Group is a collection of REIs, so expect to see her [Dr. Mary Abusief's] colleagues along the way. The good news is that you have many people thinking about your case, the bad news is that you won't see her every time...very kind and compassionate. She even called me the night that my fresh transfer did not work to make sure that we had a plan I felt comfortable with going forward. She goes above and beyond.
I think this is hit or miss [with the nurses at Palo Alto Medical Foundation]. I had two coordinators. The first was not so good and not communicating well - hard to ask questions when I needed it. The second was much better and more responsive...Expect to see multiple providers - not just your primary REI. My first coordinator was not that good. Second was much better. Sometimes hard to get on the calendar and have to push to move forward. Also I found the billing department confusing.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Abusief was very kind and compassionate. She even called me the night that my fresh transfer did not work to make sure that we had a plan I felt comfortable with going forward. She goes above and beyond.
PAMF Infertility Group is a collection of REIs, so expect to see her colleagues along the way. The good news is that you have many people thinking about your case, the bad news is that you won't see her every time. I didn't mind because I understand that she has a family too and cannot be there every day.
Very compassionate and warm.
Don't remember the details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I think this is hit or miss. I had two coordinators. The first was not so good and not communicating well - hard to ask questions when I needed it. The second was much better and more responsive.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Covered by insurance, except meds.
PAMF's primary goal is a single healthy delivery as this is the healthiest for baby and mommy. I did only single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
When scheduling my frozen transfer, I had to call 3 times before the coordinator returned my call. Turns out my old coordinator left and I was not assigned a new one.
Fremont
[Palo Alto Medical Foundation's] strengths is they work with your schedule and trust you to know what is going on with your own body. The nurses are pleasant and straight to the point. I wish the waiting room was more relaxing and less chaotic...With my DOR- she [Dr. Ijeoma Okeigwe] wanted to start with iui with clomid and fsh injections...Doctor was very hopeful and confident in her ability to give us the results we want. She was very informative and answered every question I had. I wish she was more compassionate and gentle upfront, but was once I expressed my concerns and fear with her...
How was your experience with Ijeoma Okeigwe at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ijeoma Okeigwe at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Ask tons of questions!
Describe the protocols Ijeoma Okeigwe used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
With my DOR- she wanted to start with iui with clomid and fsh injections.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Clinics strengths is they work with your schedule and trust you to know what is going on with your own body. The nurses are pleasant and straight to the point. I wish the waiting room was more relaxing and less chaotic.
Ijeoma Okeigwe
Treated 2015
she [Dr. Salli Tazuke] recommended 3-4 rounds of IUI with injectables...was warm, wonderful, kind, and gave me ample time in every visit. She made sure she answered all my questions and told me she would be happy to further answer mine or my partner's questions via email. Once my test results were in, she gave me a very clear idea of the road ahead, including IUIs, IVF, the egg retrieval process, ET, selective reduction (if reqd), etc. One time the clinic miscommunicated my appointment timing to me and Dr. Tazuke was kind enough to apologise in person, along with her head nurse, the receptionist, and the clinic manager. They also arranged for me to have lunch in the clinic, paid for my gas, and made time to see me on the same day. I am completely satisfied with PAMF as well as Dr. Tazuke.
The wait time to get seen for the first time at PAMF was about 4-8 weeks (in 2015). Other than this, I have no really major complaints - the clinic is accessible and well-run. The web interface is a big help in getting access to test results or doctors' instructions. Nursing staff and doctors answer emails within one working day...The nursing staff were always friendly and organized. My appointments happened on time and the nurses were aware of the further instructions they had to give me.
How was your experience with Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Although I was with Dr. Salli Tazuke from an initial consult until before the first IUI (at which point we moved to another country), I felt that Dr. Salli Tazuke was very considerate and intelligent, and gave me a very accurate picture of the road ahead. She fully informed me of my diminished ovarian reserve, and said that we should do only 3-4 IUIs instead of the recommended 6. She also recommended starting IUIs directly, instead of timed intercourse with Clomid/injectables. She gave me plenty of reading material and was always available to meet me, and to answer my questions directly or via email. She was up to date with my test results and sent me notes on what the results meant, through the hospital's web interface.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Book an appointment well in advance. All the doctors at PAMF's fertility practice were booked solid for 4-8 weeks at any given time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Tazuke was warm, wonderful, kind, and gave me ample time in every visit. She made sure she answered all my questions and told me she would be happy to further answer mine or my partner's questions via email. Once my test results were in, she gave me a very clear idea of the road ahead, including IUIs, IVF, the egg retrieval process, ET, selective reduction (if reqd), etc. One time the clinic miscommunicated my appointment timing to me and Dr. Tazuke was kind enough to apologise in person, along with her head nurse, the receptionist, and the clinic manager. They also arranged for me to have lunch in the clinic, paid for my gas, and made time to see me on the same day. I am completely satisfied with PAMF as well as Dr. Tazuke.
Describe the protocols Salli Tazuke used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
I did not get to the treatment stage with Dr. Tazuke (I moved before then) - but she recommended 3-4 rounds of IUI with injectables, which is what my next doctor started me on.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
None. Our insurance covered all of it.
Salli Tazuke
Treated 2015
She [Dr. Swiersz] was a good doctor. We didn’t go past the first cycle because we wanted to do IUI with donor Sperm... Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle...The doctor is caring and personable. She also was knowledgeable. I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. .. Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle.
If you plan to do standard IUI or IVF you will probably be fine with this clinic [PAMF]. ..I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. Since this clinic is on PAMF campus the waiting room is shared with obgyn and there are lots of pregnant people around which is hard to see when you are going through infertility...we wanted to try donor sperm we were turned off by the clinics response and lack of support in that area. They just pushed for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was a good doctor. We didn’t go past the first cycle because we wanted to do IUI with donor Sperm and the clinic had rediculous rules around using donor sperm. So we switched doctors but it wasn’t due to her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Let her know yours plans up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was very warm and caring
Describe the protocols Lillian Swiersz used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
We were diagnosed with male factor infertility. The initial plan was to try a chlomid IUI cycle. Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle. The cycle failed and when we wanted to try donor sperm we were turned off by the clinics response and lack of support in that area. They just pushed for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
Nursing staff really pushed us for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
If you plan to do standard IUI or IVF you will probably be fine with this clinic. The doctor is caring and personable. She also was knowledgeable. I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. Since this clinic is on PAMF campus the waiting room is shared with obgyn and there are lots of pregnant people around which is hard to see when you are going through infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
We only did one cycle and initial diagnosis with Dr. Swiersz. We don’t have any insurance coverage and paid a couple thousand dollars out of pocket. It was very expensive.

Treated 2008 - 2011
She [Dr. Lillian Swiersz] did baseline bloodwork and then used Clomid with a trigger shot for timed intercourse...We didn't feel as though Dr. Swiersz was interested in understanding why we were failing to conceive. When a FSH test came back high (likely due to acupuncture-related chinese herbs), she showed incredible lack of compassion and told us we were very unlikely to ever have children. We promptly found a new doctor...She was very by the book - I felt like she wanted to move us further down the ART process without understanding why we were failing to conceive.
It didn't feel as though PAMP had a specialized clinic at all - very baseline services, and nothing that was pushing the boundaries of current science...We didn't feel as though Dr. Swiersz was interested in understanding why we were failing to conceive. When a FSH test came back high (likely due to acupuncture-related chinese herbs), she showed incredible lack of compassion and told us we were very unlikely to ever have children. We promptly found a new doctor...Dr. Swiersz was the first RE we met with. She did baseline bloodwork and then used Clomid with a trigger shot for timed intercourse. She did do an ultrasound to check follicle development before the trigger shot.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Don't choose Dr. Swiersz if you prioritize bedside manner.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Insurance covered our diagnostic workup and treatment.
Describe Lillian Swiersz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
n/a - we didn't do IVF with her.

Treated 2010 - 2011
She wasn't there most of the time, seemed distracted when she was there. Not aggressive enough... She was always on the phone, seemed over worked.
They were disorganized, always late. Getting the correct prescription seems like a crap shoot.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was nice but seemed distracted and naive
be an advocate for yourself
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
She was always on the phone, seemed over worked.
Treated 2017 - 2019
Investor
We have always felt that we were in very good hands [with Dr. Ezzati], understood our treatment plans ,and were able to ask questions...He is in different offices on different days, so be prepared to be flexible if you need to see him on a certain day...He gave us a very good explanation of PGS and ICSI, and ultimately we decided to do both. Our daughter was born the next year after an FET, and we are now preparing for our third FET (our second - last month - was not successful).
$4500 for FET $20000 for IVF stimulation, retrieval, ICSI, and PGS Medications additional [at Palo Alto Medical Foundation]...The number of locations is both a strength and a weakness - they provide flexibility, but if one location is preferred (as it was for us), the number of available appointments are limited. The on-site labs are convenient and I never had to wait long for blood work. The Fremont office is co-located with an OB/GYN office, and it can be difficult sitting in a waiting room with pregnant women, so I tended to avoid scheduling appointments at that office. Front desk staff are all nice and helpful.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Ezzati is warm and capable, and we've been very happy with him. We haven't always been able to see him, but the clinic tries hard to schedule me with him as often as possible, and always for surgical procedures. He usually does not respond to emails personally, but his nurses respond from his account quickly and satisfactorily. He is clearly invested in our success without crossing any boundaries or making any promises (he has always been very professional). We have always felt that we were in very good hands, understood our treatment plans ,and were able to ask questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He is in different offices on different days, so be prepared to be flexible if you need to see him on a certain day (you may need to drive to an office farther away from you) or in a certain location (you may need to wait a week or two for an appointment).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Doctor Ezzati's clinic is efficient and I often saw different physicians, but it meant that appointments were easy to schedule and moved quickly. I don't mind feeling "like a number" in exchange for efficient service and clear instructions. Our consultations with Dr. Ezzati were personal and valuable, and didn't feel rushed. He remembers our daughter's name and age when we see him now (trying for our second child), and is reassuring and available for questions.
Describe the protocols Max Ezzati used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
We did a stimulation and egg retrieval in 2016. I don't remember the details of the protocol, but I do remember that he introduced a growth hormone partway through that helped a number of additional follicles develop. He noted that if we ever did another stimulation, he would include this from the start. He gave us a very good explanation of PGS and ICSI, and ultimately we decided to do both. Our daughter was born the next year after an FET, and we are now preparing for our third FET (our second - last month - was not successful).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Justine Lawas)
Justine is reliable (she always calls when she says she will), clear (our medication schedule is easy to understand and she spends time reviewing it with us), and efficient. She isn't particularly warm or compassionate, but I haven't minded that.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe Max Ezzati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Our doctor's preference - and ours - was to transfer a single embryo, given that we had undiagnosed infertility, and had never experienced any pregnancy loss or complications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Neither were huge problems: During a recent cycle, there was a discrepancy in my medication schedule on two different documents (which day to drop from 6mg of Estrace to 2mg). I wrote to my coordinator - on a weekend - and she wrote back to clarify within two hours. We did back-to-back FETs and needed to reorder some medications for the second cycle, but others we had leftover from the first. It wasn't clear to us when these would be called in for us to pick-up, and when we went to the pharmacy, the order hadn't been placed and we had to wait.

Treated 2017 - 2020
It was a very long journey but Dr. Kim and his team ultimately delivered (I graduated from the clinic after my fifth transfer which resulted in a pregnancy). Dr. Kim is kind, calm and patient. He has a really steady and gentle hand in procedures - other doctors will ram a probe painfully but Dr. Kim avoids that. He takes the time to explain things too. He doesn’t over promise and is science based. What I appreciate about him is that he doesn’t push outlandish IVF add-ons, but he is still willing to try things when you specifically request it (for example, I asked to do karyotype testing even though it wouldn’t be super helpful or didn’t seem particularly needed, and he was willing to let me do it upon request). At many points during the process, I wanted to change things up or do things a certain way, and while Dr. Kim indicated that we didn’t have to do things that way but was willing to accommodate, a lot of his advice (especially around luck of the draw) ended up being true in the end. One thing that I appreciated too was that given some of my complicated history, he made it a point to see me every time, even on his surgery days and for basic monitoring. (That is pretty rare at other clinics.) I was happy in the end with my treatment.
If you are a hard case, it may be harder to find the cause quickly because PAMF doesn’t automatically do things like DNA fragmentation tests, karyotype testing, ERAs, Receptiva testing, etc. You have to be an advocate for stuff like that. But if you raise it, PAMF will entertain the request but discuss the facts and science with you (and if the benefit is only marginal, they may be discouraging of pursuing it)...Honestly, PAMF isn’t the sexy clinic around here (unlike CCRM, Spring or Dr. Aimee) but don’t let that stop you from considering PAMF. Sure, you won’t have star VIP treatment, but after talking to other people who visit other local clinics here, I have grown to appreciate PAMF’s quiet but solid approach. PAMF runs smoothly. You don’t have ridiculously long waits (unlike Kaiser). PAMF stays focused on the proven science. I think some of the bad reviews of this practice were from a long time ago, but I think PAMF must have made a lot of progress since then in improving their services because a lot of the criticism seems unfair.
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Kim is solid if you fit in a box or are an easy case. If you are a hard case, it may be harder to find the cause quickly because PAMF doesn’t automatically do things like DNA fragmentation tests, karyotype testing, ERAs, Receptiva testing, etc. You have to be an advocate for stuff like that. But if you raise it, PAMF will entertain the request but discuss the facts and science with you (and if the benefit is only marginal, they may be discouraging of pursuing it).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
My doctor always remembered my name and history. He always was very patient and kind.
Describe the protocols Alexis Kim used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Ultimately what worked was antagonist and Day 5 transfer with no PGS testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kristi )
I bombarded my coordinator with a gabillion questions and requests. She or another team member never forgot to respond or help. Everything was timely. I have witnessed no major mistakes. The group operates very well. I did talk to another local clinic since I was going to be forced to switch clinics due to an insurance change had my last FET not worked, and I was surprised at how much more disorganized this other famous clinic was. It made me miss PAMF - the Sutter Health app makes communication so easy. The PAMF nurses were also very kind about me graduating and asked me to stay in touch and send pictures. Some of the OR nurses are sweethearts - one day when I went for a transfer, I learned that there was nothing to transfer and burst out in tears, and a kind nurse offered me a hug which I really needed. I really appreciated her compassion.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I had unlimited IVF coverage through my employer so I have no idea what anything cost. But I was impressed that they processed my insurance efficiently and never tried to unfairly bill me for things covered by insurance.
Describe Alexis Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is pretty strict if you are under 35 with single embryo transfers.
Treated 2018 - 2020
He [Dr. Max Ezzati] explains odds and use analogies and visuals to explain things better. I never felt rushed during our appointments...He has been curious about us and kept in touch even now 7+ month pregnant. He has gone out of his way to accommodate us when treatments were not going right but ovulation was happening. Helping with a unscheduled ultrasound and guidance for timing...after a couple of miscarriages we got two successful IVFs with genetic testing. 1xday5 embryo and came back genetically good but turned into a chemical pregnancy and the other one with 4xday5 embryos (2 bad dna, 1 good and 1 inconvlusive). I’m pregnant (7+mo) with the good e
[The nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation is] very attentive and responsive. Really cares for us. Really knowledgeable and organized!!...The whole staff at this clinic is great. Never waited too long in the waiting room. Love that the lab is right there! Gentle phlebotomists. Easy parking. It is great the the clinic is working with a app/system where you can ask question, see lab results, book appointments... so easy to use and save so much time. The main strength of the clinic is it’s people : all doctors, nurses and staffs are caring and attentive.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
From our first appointment dr Ezzati was very good at explaining fertility and the process. He was very patient and easy to understand and follow. He explains odds and use analogies and visuals to explain things better. I never felt rushed during our appointments. He was genuinely happy and sad with us throughout the va process. He has been curious about us and kept in touch even now 7+ month pregnant. He has gone out of his way to accommodate us when treatments were not going right but ovulation was happening. Helping with a unscheduled ultrasound and guidance for timing.
Ask questions and mention your fears and worries to Dr Ezzati. The will be able to explains things to you to keep your optimism up.
It really shows that Dr Ezzati care A LOT! Always felt like he has time for us and our questions. Never felt rushed during our visits. He was on the same roller coaster than us with the ups and downs of fertility treatments. Always trying to accommodate us and remove any stress factors.
I don’t remember all protocols. I know with the first IVF treatment some eggs were growing too fast and about to ovulate so it got switched into an IUI. Dr Ezzati then changed the treatment so I do stimulate my eggs too fast. This resulted in 5 5-day embryos with 2 fresh transfer and 3 frozen embryos. Unfortunately this pregnancy didn’t work out. Because of timing we got another IVF turned into IUI and we also got an impromptu IUI because I was ovulating at the right time... after a couple of miscarriages we got two successful IVFs with genetic testing. 1xday5 embryo and came back genetically good but turned into a chemical pregnancy and the other one with 4xday5 embryos (2 bad dna, 1 good and 1 inconvlusive). I’m pregnant (7+mo) with the good embryo now. Things are a bit blurry with all the treatments and ups and downs now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Garrett)
Very attentive and responsive. Really cares for us. Really knowledgeable and organized!!
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Don’t know, insurance covered most of it. Used HSA for drugs but can’t really remember the cost. Genetic was expensive too but can’t remember the final cost.
Dr Ezzati talked to us about the benefits and risks of multiple transfers. Our first IVF we transfer 2 (untested). I always felt confident with the proposed transfer.
San Jose

He took the time to explain everything to us fully and answered all of our questions. He always greets us with a smile and puts us at ease during our treatment by explaining things to us in layman’s terms. ... Unfortunately, the second cycle also did not work. He recommended continuing with iui for 1-4 more cycles, but I wanted to proceed with ivf ... He is very empathetic and that makes a difference in our care.
This clinic [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] has staff working everyday of the week to accommodate all cycles and timing of procedures and appointments. It was easy to get an appointment with an iui coordinator, but took a little bit longer to get an appointment with the ivf coordinator (~3 weeks). ... The entire staff is caring, kind, and discreet. I have not encountered any rude staff members. They all provide great care for their patients.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
From our first meeting with Dr Ezzati, we felt confident that we picked the right doctor. He took the time to explain everything to us fully and answered all of our questions. He always greets us with a smile and puts us at ease during our treatment by explaining things to us in layman’s terms. It feels great to know what’s going on through every phase of treatment instead of going in blind.
Don’t be afraid to ask Dr Ezzati your questions. He is more than happy to explain things to you and give you the time you need and deserve.
Dr. Ezzati took the time to explain everything to me and always recommend his expert opinion, but still took the time to listen to our thoughts and opinions. He is very empathetic and that makes a difference in our care.
I’ve tried two cycles of clomid with my obgyn (which were unsuccessful) before I started seeing Dr Ezzati. Dr Ezzati wanted to track my baseline measures with clomid and iui before adding any other medications. We used 100 mg of clomid days 3-7, which produced two dominant follicles, but the iui was unsuccessful. The second cycle he added gonal-f injections in addition to the clomid and made sure to track my progress. Unfortunately, the second cycle also did not work. He recommended continuing with iui for 1-4 more cycles, but I wanted to proceed with ivf, which after explaining the risks and benefits, he agreed to if we were ready. I am currently in the middle of my ivf cycle and am happy with the care that I am receiving.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Garrett )
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
This clinic has staff working everyday of the week to accommodate all cycles and timing of procedures and appointments. It was easy to get an appointment with an iui coordinator, but took a little bit longer to get an appointment with the ivf coordinator (~3 weeks). I am also an inpatient person, so that may not be long in other people’s opinion.
I do not remember
Dr Ezzati and the other PAMF Doctors are all about single embryo transfers and making a single healthy baby. He understands that there are increased risk with multiples, which could be a danger to both mom and the babies, and does not want to take any risks. There are exceptions including age that might change that, but generally they seem to aim for one healthy baby at a time.
Treated 2017
He [Dr. Dobson] walked into the room, never having met me, on the most important day of my life, embryo transfer day, and did not even say, "Hi" or introduce himself...During the embryo transfer, with me strapped into stir-ups and nervous... He roughly shoved a size 20 catheter into me and I screamed. He proceeded to fill up my bladder, yanked it out and I screamed again. He made no apologies, and proceeded with the transfer...I am afraid the damage done to my urethra is permanent.
The nursing staff [at PAMF] made mistakes on several instances and asked me about my "husband." I am single and intend to single parent....Also, they require a psychological evaluation, but you must use one of their 4 psychologists who charge $250 instead of a psychologist you already have a relationship with or one that is covered by your insurance...15,000 donor eggs, 1,000 donor sperm, 10,000 for attempted embryo transfer...You think you are choosing your doctor, but they will pull the old "switcheroo" on you at the last minute.
How was your experience with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
During the embryo transfer, with me strapped into stir-ups and nervous, he asked me if he could fill up my bladder. I was thinking that I had just had 3 full glasses of water, couldn't he just wait? I hesitantly asked if it was necessary. He answered that if I wanted a successful result I would have to. He roughly shoved a size 20 catheter into me and I screamed. He proceeded to fill up my bladder, yanked it out and I screamed again. He made no apologies, and proceeded with the transfer. To make a long story short, he denied responsibility later for my urethral damage. I continue to have constant pain, and have to pee every 10 minutes or less, every couple of hours all night long. I am still out of work due to constant pain and urination and am awaiting my pregnancy test.
Unless you are into medical rape, avoid this doctor at all costs.
He walked into the room, never having met me, on the most important day of my life, embryo transfer day, and did not even say, "Hi" or introduce himself. He immediately turned his back to me and looked at my chart for a long time before turning around and saying anything to me at all.
I had never met him on the day of embryo transfer. He had one simple but very important job to do and he messed it up.
The nursing staff made mistakes on several instances and asked me about my "husband." I am single and intend to single parent.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
You think you are choosing your doctor, but they will pull the old "switcheroo" on you at the last minute. Also, they require a psychological evaluation, but you must use one of their 4 psychologists who charge $250 instead of a psychologist you already have a relationship with or one that is covered by your insurance.
15,000 donor eggs, 1,000 donor sperm, 10,000 for attempted embryo transfer
I was not offered the option of multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I am afraid the damage done to my urethra is permanent. All Dr. Dobson had to do was wait for the water that went down my throat to reach my bladder. I think of him every time I pee. I was not told ahead of time that if I did not arrive with a full bladder, I would be injured. When confronted later with his mistake, he lacked compassion and denied responsibility, saying it was standard practice to use a urinary catheter to fill the bladder during embryo transfer, when that is false.
Treated 2014 - 2015
He spent 2 hours looking through all of mine and my husband's health history... I'm glad we have stuck with him.
The PAMF office in Fremont is a better. The San Jose office has lost an appt for me before, ordered the wrong lab test, and the front desk ladies are not as friendly.
How was your experience with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Dobson has overall been a good doctor; I'm glad we have stuck with him; he is the head of the PAMF-FPNC department, so he has a lot of knowledge and experience. In my very first visit with him, he spent 2 hours looking through all of mine and my husband's health history, and gave us insight/ideas for moving forward, and let me know if I disagreed with any suggestions along the way that I could let him know and we would compromise. So far, although we have not gotten pregnant yet, they have done everything well as far as treating us and starting with least invasive first (my request). The only reservations I have are that; 1) PAMF is one of the more expensive facilities, 2) It can be hard to get a hold of them by phone/make appts when you want due to them being busy and closing at 3:30pm, 3) They are not too keen on natural treatment such as vitamins/supplements (unless labs show they are needed), 4) They tend to ask me a lot of the same questions each time I am seen. With all of that being said, they do their best to make you comfortable and you won't get tossed around to different providers each visit.
If you are wanting to go a more natural route with fertility treatment, I would suggest seeing a different provider, as he is a provider that tends to treat patients that need more aggressive treatment.
For the most part, they get to know you as an individual; you can't expect to not feel like a number sometimes, as they see so many patients. I really felt like the MA's and IUI/IVF coordinators do a great job communicating with you and making you feel comfortable.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
The PAMF office in Fremont is a better run clinic; the receptionists are friendlier, and they seem to know more about what they are doing. The San Jose office has lost an appt for me before, ordered the wrong lab test, and the front desk ladies are not as friendly.
Treated 2019 - 2020
We used estrace priming protocol [with Dr. Max Ezzati] due to low ovarian reserve. We did a 3 day transfer...I will be trying donor eggs moving forward. I was monitored heavily to see if follicles where ready for egg retrieval. 3 of the six eggs retrieved where immature and 3 were fertilized. Only 2 fertilized correctly...He was very clear on his expectations and spent a lot of time explaining everything to me so that I felt confident in what I was doing
This clinic [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] was wonderful. From the front desk to the lab people, they get to know you and are on your side...Everyone was very kind and welcoming. My chances of success was so low it was hard to face everyone. They maintained their support...$10,000 without meds...We used estrace priming protocol due to low ovarian reserve. We did a 3 day transfer....I will be trying donor eggs moving forward. I was monitored heavily to see if follicles where ready for egg retrieval. 3 of the six eggs retrieved where immature and 3 were fertilized. Only 2 fertilized correctly..
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He is intelligent and sincerely wants to help me with my end result. Sometimes I didnt want to hear what he was saying; he was caring and compassionate and kind. This was reassuring. If I had questions he was patient and took the time to listen to me. I was very appreciative!
He is honest and direct yet kind and supportive. Listen and ask question even if you feel the questions will are a repeat of what was discussed earlier.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kristen)
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Relationships are formed and I think that is very important when going through something that is so emotional like this. It's a journey and we need positivity and support. This clinic was wonderful. From the front desk to the lab people, they get to know you and are on your side
$10,000 without meds
Treated 2020
Dr. Ezatti truly took the time to walk through the whole IVF process and it was clear how important it is to him that his patients understand each step of the way...We’ve only gone through consultation and baseline testing with Dr. Ezatti but he has done a great job explaining every step of the process, thoroughly reviewing our test results, and setting expectations and timelines for next steps...Would highly recommend him. He is caring and compassionate and wants to do everything to ensure treatment works for you.
The clinic [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] seems to be efficient and usually on-time. We have had some issue where they scheduled us for two appointments in one day to reduce the number of times we would have to take off work (we live over an hour away) and then cancelled one the day before because we had not completed all the prerequisites needed for that specific appointment. This seemed to be an honest mistake as they always do what they can to accommodate us.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
She was running behind one day that we were there but apologized profusely and it was obvious how much she cared. She was thorough in reviewing steps and protocols.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
The clinic seems to be efficient and usually on-time. We have had some issue where they scheduled us for two appointments in one day to reduce the number of times we would have to take off work (we live over an hour away) and then cancelled one the day before because we had not completed all the prerequisites needed for that specific appointment. This seemed to be an honest mistake as they always do what they can to accommodate us.
~$25k for IVF with PGT
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Scheduling issue where appointment was cancelled two days prior due to us not having completed prerequisites we were not aware of
Treated 2020
Dr. Ezzati was excellent, very thorough and kind.He explained everything and was realistic and optimistic at the same time. He answered all my questions. He put me at ease and made me feel comfortable...I am still in the IVF process using frozen eggs. We discussed the reality and cost of doing another IVF round with my own eggs but ultimately the donor eggs are a better fit for me. Right now everything is on hold due to Covid 19 but once things reopen we'll proceed to the embryo implantation step.
[My nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation] is absolutely wonderful and very experienced...This is a great clinic in comparison to the others nearby. Particularly because there is more than one doctor to choose from and the team is well staffed and educated. The wait time is small and everyone shows you respect and dignity...This doctor [Dr. Ezzati] performed a saline ultra sound on me and was so gentle, explaining everything. I had a terrible experience with HSG test before a d he made sure I did not have pain for this procedure. His assistant was also very good.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I would recommend seeing him. He's a good doctor.
This doctor performed a saline ultra sound on me and was so gentle, explaining everything. I had a terrible experience with HSG test before a d he made sure I did not have pain for this procedure. His assistant was also very good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Amy Solis)
Any is absolutely wonderful and very experienced.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
16,000 for frozen eggs , 13,000 IVF treatment without insurance.
Treated 2018 - 2019
His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. ... Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers. ... I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol. ... Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. ... Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
I think they [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient. ... [Nurse] Very responsive, but sometimes scheduling requests were not always granted and without explanation. ... Egg retrieval and fresh transfer: $17K insurance billed, $11K self pay Frozen transfer: $5.3K
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol.
Do some research and be your own advocate.
He is friendly and easy to talk to, but interactions were mainly with a patient coordinator.
Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth. Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I think they are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient.
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to the unexplained infertility diagnosis.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Alexis Kim] was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance ... He's very methodical about this being a numbers game. Dr. Kim was straightforward with us, but also seemed a bit at a loss in the face of my emotion. He also doesn't seem comfortable with advancements in the field (supplements, PGS, altering retrieval protocols)
PAMF [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
be prepared for a lot of waiting time between calling for an appointment, consultation, and beginning treatment
He was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance
Very warm and caring
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
retrieval and fresh transfer were covered by insurance, so only medication copays and $35 copay per visit. Frozen transfer was ~$4k, hysteroscopy was ~2.5K
He was very "here's what is allowed by the guidelines," and even offered to transfer 3 embryos given my age. But the decision was 100% up to us.
Treated 2017
He was very clinical not very warm and friendly. I again felt that my age and having previous children put me in a different category and wasn’t given the attention. I felt that it was a waste of his time to get through the appointment...he is clinical. Not the warmest of bedside manor....I had the HSG ultrasound done. All the blood work. My FSH Blood rest has been holding me up. I can’t seem to get it timed correctly.
[PAMF] Very clean. Quiet and easy to manuever. Location was prime for me. I have to travel 45 minutes and it’s right off the freeway. Paperwork was easy to fill out and follow. Haven’t come across any weaknesses yet...they were super friendly and awesome. I felt they had my feelings in mind while going through all this. Although I was told by one that I wasn’t committed enough to trying to have another child.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Be patient and understand that he is clinical. Not the warmest of bedside manor.
I walked away with the feeling that my age and the fact that I had two children prior put me in the back of the line for treatment.
I don’t really remember any of the specific protocols. But I had the HSG ultrasound done. All the blood work. My FSH Blood rest has been holding me up. I can’t seem to get it timed correctly.
They were super friendly and awesome. I felt they had my feelings in mind while going through all this. Although I was told by one that I wasn’t committed enough to trying to have another child.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I have had $3,000 in expenses so far.
Treated 2013
[PAMF - San Jose] Strengths: small and personalable. Weakness: not on the leading edge of fertility, not a well oiled fertility machine...No complaints [about the nurses], it really boils down to the lab and the doctor...Please look up her statistics on sart.org before moving forward. Yes, she is a very nice doctor, but given that you were are spending tens of thousands of dollars, I would rather have someone with much better statistics...
How was your experience with Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Tazuki was very nice and caring, but I do not think she is on the leading edge of fertility treatments. After my third IUI she realized she had not tested my husband's morphology which was less than 1%. Had we known this we would've gone straight to IVF. Next, she explained the differences between natural IVF and ICSI but did not steer us down the right path given my husband's morphology. I wish she would've been more authoritative in suggesting we do ICSI since she is the expert. Finally, there was no mention of any sort of genetic /chromosome testing which we would've absolutely done the first time around had we know it was an option.
She was very caring and had a great bedside manner
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Shawna)
No complaints, it really boils down to the lab and the doctor.
Mentioned in earlier comments