7.3

Palo Alto, CA 94301
2581 Samaritan Dr.
San Jose, CA 95124

Treated 2017
He [Dr. Dobson] walked into the room, never having met me, on the most important day of my life, embryo transfer day, and did not even say, "Hi" or introduce himself...During the embryo transfer, with me strapped into stir-ups and nervous... He roughly shoved a size 20 catheter into me and I screamed. He proceeded to fill up my bladder, yanked it out and I screamed again. He made no apologies, and proceeded with the transfer...I am afraid the damage done to my urethra is permanent.
The nursing staff [at PAMF] made mistakes on several instances and asked me about my "husband." I am single and intend to single parent....Also, they require a psychological evaluation, but you must use one of their 4 psychologists who charge $250 instead of a psychologist you already have a relationship with or one that is covered by your insurance...15,000 donor eggs, 1,000 donor sperm, 10,000 for attempted embryo transfer...You think you are choosing your doctor, but they will pull the old "switcheroo" on you at the last minute.
How was your experience with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
During the embryo transfer, with me strapped into stir-ups and nervous, he asked me if he could fill up my bladder. I was thinking that I had just had 3 full glasses of water, couldn't he just wait? I hesitantly asked if it was necessary. He answered that if I wanted a successful result I would have to. He roughly shoved a size 20 catheter into me and I screamed. He proceeded to fill up my bladder, yanked it out and I screamed again. He made no apologies, and proceeded with the transfer. To make a long story short, he denied responsibility later for my urethral damage. I continue to have constant pain, and have to pee every 10 minutes or less, every couple of hours all night long. I am still out of work due to constant pain and urination and am awaiting my pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Unless you are into medical rape, avoid this doctor at all costs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He walked into the room, never having met me, on the most important day of my life, embryo transfer day, and did not even say, "Hi" or introduce himself. He immediately turned his back to me and looked at my chart for a long time before turning around and saying anything to me at all.
Describe the protocols Anthony Dobson used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
I had never met him on the day of embryo transfer. He had one simple but very important job to do and he messed it up.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
The nursing staff made mistakes on several instances and asked me about my "husband." I am single and intend to single parent.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
You think you are choosing your doctor, but they will pull the old "switcheroo" on you at the last minute. Also, they require a psychological evaluation, but you must use one of their 4 psychologists who charge $250 instead of a psychologist you already have a relationship with or one that is covered by your insurance.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
15,000 donor eggs, 1,000 donor sperm, 10,000 for attempted embryo transfer
Describe Anthony Dobson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I was not offered the option of multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I am afraid the damage done to my urethra is permanent. All Dr. Dobson had to do was wait for the water that went down my throat to reach my bladder. I think of him every time I pee. I was not told ahead of time that if I did not arrive with a full bladder, I would be injured. When confronted later with his mistake, he lacked compassion and denied responsibility, saying it was standard practice to use a urinary catheter to fill the bladder during embryo transfer, when that is false.
Anthony Dobson

Treated 2016
We loved working with Dr. Abusief. The only downside is that since it's a large practice there were appointments where I saw one of her colleagues instead. She did not perform my egg retrievals or transfers because she was not "on-call" that day. She took over as the medical director and seemed stretched a little thin. I would have liked it more if there were less doctors involved and I was able to work with Dr. Abusief more exclusively.... She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
I bought a package through ARC that covered one retrieval and fresh transfer and one frozen transfer [at Palo Alto Medical Foundation]. The package was around $12-13,000 and did not cover ICSI or more than a set number of ultrasounds in a cycle. I paid extra for needing extra monitoring appointments as well as a whole lot of blood work, ultrasounds, and endometrial pipelle procedure for a chemical pregnancy...This clinic's strength is that the doctors meet daily for rounds so everyone is up to date on all of the patients who are in-cycle. The weakness is that there are so many doctors involved that you will likely be seen by multiple different doctors over the course of several days and may receive different information.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Be prepared for the fact that even if you like her a lot, you may not enjoy her colleagues as much and will often be in their direct care instead of hers. Although she was my primary RE, I was seen by many other doctors during my cycles with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She takes a lot of time with her clients and is very warm and personable. She is incredibly intelligent and up to date, but communicates her knowledge in a way that is not intimidating. She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
Describe the protocols Mary Abusief used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
It was my first IVF cycle and we used a standard long-lupron down regulation protocol. They retrieved 9 eggs, however only 6 were mature. No human growth hormone was used, just the lupron, gonal-f, and menopur. She stated that she started me on a higher dose of gonadotropins due to my low AMH, however I've always had an even higher dose with subsequent cycles with other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was in touch with me constantly during my cycle and extremely helpful. For my second cycle I was assigned a different nurse. I don't remember much about her.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
This clinic's strength is that the doctors meet daily for rounds so everyone is up to date on all of the patients who are in-cycle. The weakness is that there are so many doctors involved that you will likely be seen by multiple different doctors over the course of several days and may receive different information. One doctor I met with had incredibly awful bedside manner and I refused to be seen by him again, which meant that I had to drive to another clinic to see a different doctor. The clinic I primary visited was very private and peaceful, however some of the clinics that I had to drive to for my appointments were located inside of a larger medical facility. I had to sit in a waiting room that was shared with regular OBGYN patients who were pregnant- not great when you are going through fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I bought a package through ARC that covered one retrieval and fresh transfer and one frozen transfer. The package was around $12-13,000 and did not cover ICSI or more than a set number of ultrasounds in a cycle. I paid extra for needing extra monitoring appointments as well as a whole lot of blood work, ultrasounds, and endometrial pipelle procedure for a chemical pregnancy.
Describe Mary Abusief's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They will only transfer 2 embryos if you use day 3 embryos for my age bracket (Under 30). If you are using day 5 embryos, they will only transfer 1.
Mary Abusief
East Palo Alto - University

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Alexis Kim] was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance ... He's very methodical about this being a numbers game. Dr. Kim was straightforward with us, but also seemed a bit at a loss in the face of my emotion. He also doesn't seem comfortable with advancements in the field (supplements, PGS, altering retrieval protocols)
PAMF [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
be prepared for a lot of waiting time between calling for an appointment, consultation, and beginning treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance
Very warm and caring
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
retrieval and fresh transfer were covered by insurance, so only medication copays and $35 copay per visit. Frozen transfer was ~$4k, hysteroscopy was ~2.5K
Describe Alexis Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
He was very "here's what is allowed by the guidelines," and even offered to transfer 3 embryos given my age. But the decision was 100% up to us.
Alexis Kim
Treated 2013
[PAMF - San Jose] Strengths: small and personalable. Weakness: not on the leading edge of fertility, not a well oiled fertility machine...No complaints [about the nurses], it really boils down to the lab and the doctor...Please look up her statistics on sart.org before moving forward. Yes, she is a very nice doctor, but given that you were are spending tens of thousands of dollars, I would rather have someone with much better statistics...
How was your experience with Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Tazuki was very nice and caring, but I do not think she is on the leading edge of fertility treatments. After my third IUI she realized she had not tested my husband's morphology which was less than 1%. Had we known this we would've gone straight to IVF. Next, she explained the differences between natural IVF and ICSI but did not steer us down the right path given my husband's morphology. I wish she would've been more authoritative in suggesting we do ICSI since she is the expert. Finally, there was no mention of any sort of genetic /chromosome testing which we would've absolutely done the first time around had we know it was an option.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Salli Tazuke at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was very caring and had a great bedside manner
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Shawna)
No complaints, it really boils down to the lab and the doctor.
Mentioned in earlier comments
Salli Tazuke

Treated 2017
I thought that she [Dr. Sunny Jun] was a good doctor. Unfortunately, she is leaving for another clinic. IF I could follow her, I would! I had lower expectations going in this time, and it was not successful. She was a fast and good communicator via email...She had a warm manner, friendly
They [the staff at Palo Alto Medical Foundation] didn't seem to know what was going on, nor did they seem knowledgeable. They also forgot to send my prescriptions in, and these are time sensitive! They also refused to give me a prescription prior to my ultrasound, resulting in MUCH higher drug prices vs being able to use a mail-order pharmacy. Frustrating practices...Hard to schedule appointments, hard to communicate, and they didn' tknow what stage of the cycle I was in, nor did they seem knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Sunny Jun at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I thought that she was a good doctor. Unfortunately, she is leaving for another clinic. IF I could follow her, I would! I had lower expectations going in this time, and it was not successful. She was a fast and good communicator via email.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunny Jun at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunny Jun at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She had a warm manner, friendly
Describe the protocols Sunny Jun used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Use of progesterone (but not enough for me), use of Clomid vs. letrozole
I didn't like how the scheduling worked - it was really disorganized.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunny Jun at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
~$1000/iui cycle $350/ultrasound (2 required)
Describe Sunny Jun's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They didn't seem to know what was going on, nor did they seem knowledgeable. They also forgot to send my prescriptions in, and these are time sensitive! They also refused to give me a prescription prior to my ultrasound, resulting in MUCH higher drug prices vs being able to use a mail-order pharmacy. Frustrating practices.
Sunny Jun

Treated 2015 - 2016
[Dr. Abusief] Did nothing for me except take my money. Spend thousands over the months and got no answers or success. Treatment never changed and was never taken further.... They don’t complete a full work up to find the infertility issue causing you to not get pregnant. I spent months going here with no results and lots of money spent. Went to a new clinic tests ran. Diagnosis made. One cycle and boom.
They [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] don’t complete a full work up to find the infertility issue causing you to not get pregnant. I spent months going here with no results and lots of money spent. Went to a new clinic tests ran. Diagnosis made. One cycle and boom. Pregnant and went full term. Don’t go the this clinic.... Test were not ran. Bills not billed correctly. Total mess and waste of time and money... Spend thousands over the months and got no answers or success. Treatment never changed and was never taken further.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Did nothing for me except take my money. Spend thousands over the months and got no answers or success. Treatment never changed and was never taken further. Had to seek another clinic who ran tests that were supposedly already done that gave me answers and ultimately led to the co caption of my daughter.
Find a better doctor
No results or direction.
Ok
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They don’t complete a full work up to find the infertility issue causing you to not get pregnant. I spent months going here with no results and lots of money spent. Went to a new clinic tests ran. Diagnosis made. One cycle and boom. Pregnant and went full term. Don’t go the this clinic. Got to RSC Soo much better in all aspects.
Expensive
Mary Abusief

Treated 2008 - 2011
She [Dr. Lillian Swiersz] did baseline bloodwork and then used Clomid with a trigger shot for timed intercourse...We didn't feel as though Dr. Swiersz was interested in understanding why we were failing to conceive. When a FSH test came back high (likely due to acupuncture-related chinese herbs), she showed incredible lack of compassion and told us we were very unlikely to ever have children. We promptly found a new doctor...She was very by the book - I felt like she wanted to move us further down the ART process without understanding why we were failing to conceive.
It didn't feel as though PAMP had a specialized clinic at all - very baseline services, and nothing that was pushing the boundaries of current science...We didn't feel as though Dr. Swiersz was interested in understanding why we were failing to conceive. When a FSH test came back high (likely due to acupuncture-related chinese herbs), she showed incredible lack of compassion and told us we were very unlikely to ever have children. We promptly found a new doctor...Dr. Swiersz was the first RE we met with. She did baseline bloodwork and then used Clomid with a trigger shot for timed intercourse. She did do an ultrasound to check follicle development before the trigger shot.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Don't choose Dr. Swiersz if you prioritize bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Describe the protocols Lillian Swiersz used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Insurance covered our diagnostic workup and treatment.
Describe Lillian Swiersz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
n/a - we didn't do IVF with her.
Lillian Swiersz

Treated 2010 - 2011
She wasn't there most of the time, seemed distracted when she was there. Not aggressive enough... She was always on the phone, seemed over worked.
They were disorganized, always late. Getting the correct prescription seems like a crap shoot.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was nice but seemed distracted and naive
be an advocate for yourself
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
She was always on the phone, seemed over worked.
Lillian Swiersz