7.3

Fremont
3200 Kearney Street
Fremont, CA 94538
800-597-2234
Palo Alto - El Camino (closed)
795 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94301
2581 Samaritan Dr.
San Jose, CA 95124

Treated 2017 - 2019
Investor
We have always felt that we were in very good hands [with Dr. Ezzati], understood our treatment plans ,and were able to ask questions...He is in different offices on different days, so be prepared to be flexible if you need to see him on a certain day...He gave us a very good explanation of PGS and ICSI, and ultimately we decided to do both. Our daughter was born the next year after an FET, and we are now preparing for our third FET (our second - last month - was not successful).
$4500 for FET $20000 for IVF stimulation, retrieval, ICSI, and PGS Medications additional [at Palo Alto Medical Foundation]...The number of locations is both a strength and a weakness - they provide flexibility, but if one location is preferred (as it was for us), the number of available appointments are limited. The on-site labs are convenient and I never had to wait long for blood work. The Fremont office is co-located with an OB/GYN office, and it can be difficult sitting in a waiting room with pregnant women, so I tended to avoid scheduling appointments at that office. Front desk staff are all nice and helpful.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Ezzati is warm and capable, and we've been very happy with him. We haven't always been able to see him, but the clinic tries hard to schedule me with him as often as possible, and always for surgical procedures. He usually does not respond to emails personally, but his nurses respond from his account quickly and satisfactorily. He is clearly invested in our success without crossing any boundaries or making any promises (he has always been very professional). We have always felt that we were in very good hands, understood our treatment plans ,and were able to ask questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He is in different offices on different days, so be prepared to be flexible if you need to see him on a certain day (you may need to drive to an office farther away from you) or in a certain location (you may need to wait a week or two for an appointment).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Doctor Ezzati's clinic is efficient and I often saw different physicians, but it meant that appointments were easy to schedule and moved quickly. I don't mind feeling "like a number" in exchange for efficient service and clear instructions. Our consultations with Dr. Ezzati were personal and valuable, and didn't feel rushed. He remembers our daughter's name and age when we see him now (trying for our second child), and is reassuring and available for questions.
Describe the protocols Max Ezzati used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
We did a stimulation and egg retrieval in 2016. I don't remember the details of the protocol, but I do remember that he introduced a growth hormone partway through that helped a number of additional follicles develop. He noted that if we ever did another stimulation, he would include this from the start. He gave us a very good explanation of PGS and ICSI, and ultimately we decided to do both. Our daughter was born the next year after an FET, and we are now preparing for our third FET (our second - last month - was not successful).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Justine Lawas)
Justine is reliable (she always calls when she says she will), clear (our medication schedule is easy to understand and she spends time reviewing it with us), and efficient. She isn't particularly warm or compassionate, but I haven't minded that.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe Max Ezzati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Our doctor's preference - and ours - was to transfer a single embryo, given that we had undiagnosed infertility, and had never experienced any pregnancy loss or complications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Neither were huge problems: During a recent cycle, there was a discrepancy in my medication schedule on two different documents (which day to drop from 6mg of Estrace to 2mg). I wrote to my coordinator - on a weekend - and she wrote back to clarify within two hours. We did back-to-back FETs and needed to reorder some medications for the second cycle, but others we had leftover from the first. It wasn't clear to us when these would be called in for us to pick-up, and when we went to the pharmacy, the order hadn't been placed and we had to wait.
Max Ezzati
Treated 2014 - 2016
Success w/ Doc 16 Eggs Frozen
I felt they [Dr Abusief and team] were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
[The nurses at PAMF were] compassionate. the main scheduling nurse was v. organized and clear. Also the PAMF clinic on fertility treatments SC injection was excellent...The clinic is fine. They were less hard to get an appointment for then some others in the area. Since they are now part of PAMF it was sometimes hard to figure who to talk to for what (billing etc).
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I felt they were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
The desk staff and phone systems are a huge labyrinth of confusion. Just persevere and you will get through.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
While they were very respectful kind and gentle, ultimately they refused to help me conceive until my divorce was complete because their lawyers advised them that the law was murky. My divorce is now approaching 2 years in limbo and I'm am just waiting to use my frozen eggs. It would have been much easier to use sperm but now I'm over 40 and clock is ticking away- all because of lawyers and a stupid law that says it's husbands kid even if biology proves it's someone else's sperm. dumb. not a humane choice.
Describe the protocols Mary Abusief used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Both were to freeze eggs: First Cycle which only yielded 4 frozen eggs lupron 10 then Gonal F300 +minopur then HCG trigger Second Cycle yielded 12 frozen eggs: GonalF300 + minopur+dexameth pill Ganriliex HCG trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Compassionate. the main scheduling nurse was v. organized and clear. Also the PAMF clinic on fertility treatments SC injection was excellent
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I was self pay. The fees are pretty set and standard. The fee for the full egg retrieval process was about 10K plus I had insurance for the drugs part so I'm not sure how much that was.
Mary Abusief
Treated 2014 - 2015
He spent 2 hours looking through all of mine and my husband's health history... I'm glad we have stuck with him.
The PAMF office in Fremont is a better. The San Jose office has lost an appt for me before, ordered the wrong lab test, and the front desk ladies are not as friendly.
How was your experience with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Dobson has overall been a good doctor; I'm glad we have stuck with him; he is the head of the PAMF-FPNC department, so he has a lot of knowledge and experience. In my very first visit with him, he spent 2 hours looking through all of mine and my husband's health history, and gave us insight/ideas for moving forward, and let me know if I disagreed with any suggestions along the way that I could let him know and we would compromise. So far, although we have not gotten pregnant yet, they have done everything well as far as treating us and starting with least invasive first (my request). The only reservations I have are that; 1) PAMF is one of the more expensive facilities, 2) It can be hard to get a hold of them by phone/make appts when you want due to them being busy and closing at 3:30pm, 3) They are not too keen on natural treatment such as vitamins/supplements (unless labs show they are needed), 4) They tend to ask me a lot of the same questions each time I am seen. With all of that being said, they do their best to make you comfortable and you won't get tossed around to different providers each visit.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
If you are wanting to go a more natural route with fertility treatment, I would suggest seeing a different provider, as he is a provider that tends to treat patients that need more aggressive treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Dobson at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
For the most part, they get to know you as an individual; you can't expect to not feel like a number sometimes, as they see so many patients. I really felt like the MA's and IUI/IVF coordinators do a great job communicating with you and making you feel comfortable.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
The PAMF office in Fremont is a better run clinic; the receptionists are friendlier, and they seem to know more about what they are doing. The San Jose office has lost an appt for me before, ordered the wrong lab test, and the front desk ladies are not as friendly.
Anthony Dobson
Treated 2015
She [Dr. Swiersz] was a good doctor. We didn’t go past the first cycle because we wanted to do IUI with donor Sperm... Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle...The doctor is caring and personable. She also was knowledgeable. I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. .. Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle.
If you plan to do standard IUI or IVF you will probably be fine with this clinic [PAMF]. ..I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. Since this clinic is on PAMF campus the waiting room is shared with obgyn and there are lots of pregnant people around which is hard to see when you are going through infertility...we wanted to try donor sperm we were turned off by the clinics response and lack of support in that area. They just pushed for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was a good doctor. We didn’t go past the first cycle because we wanted to do IUI with donor Sperm and the clinic had rediculous rules around using donor sperm. So we switched doctors but it wasn’t due to her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Let her know yours plans up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She was very warm and caring
Describe the protocols Lillian Swiersz used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
We were diagnosed with male factor infertility. The initial plan was to try a chlomid IUI cycle. Of course my husbands numbers were too low so it was turned into a chlomid and time intercourse cycle. The cycle failed and when we wanted to try donor sperm we were turned off by the clinics response and lack of support in that area. They just pushed for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
Nursing staff really pushed us for IVF which we weren’t ready for at the time.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
If you plan to do standard IUI or IVF you will probably be fine with this clinic. The doctor is caring and personable. She also was knowledgeable. I don’t recommend for heterosexual couples interested in donor sperm. Since this clinic is on PAMF campus the waiting room is shared with obgyn and there are lots of pregnant people around which is hard to see when you are going through infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lillian Swiersz at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
We only did one cycle and initial diagnosis with Dr. Swiersz. We don’t have any insurance coverage and paid a couple thousand dollars out of pocket. It was very expensive.
Lillian Swiersz
Palo Alto Medical Foundation
Palo Alto - El Camino (closed)
Treated 2018 - 2019
His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. ... Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers. ... I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol. ... Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. ... Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
I think they [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient. ... [Nurse] Very responsive, but sometimes scheduling requests were not always granted and without explanation. ... Egg retrieval and fresh transfer: $17K insurance billed, $11K self pay Frozen transfer: $5.3K
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Do some research and be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
He is friendly and easy to talk to, but interactions were mainly with a patient coordinator.
Describe the protocols Alexis Kim used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth. Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I think they are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe Alexis Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to the unexplained infertility diagnosis.
Alexis Kim
Treated 2017 - 2018
The Dr [Abusief] has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.... [Eset Approach] The office has a policy to only transfer one but on occasion they may make an exception but it had to be a team decision.
Staff [PAMF] are great, and it's easy to get last-minute appointments. You often need to remind staff of existing conditions to make sure a procedure or medication won't interfere. It would be nice to be able to access the IVF coordinators directly but currently you have to go through the phone operators and leave a message.... [Cost Of Treatment] $16,000 fresh IVF with ICSI, $5000 for medications $1500 for IUI (I think)...
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
The Dr has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.
Get a consultation but also speak with 1-2 other clinics before jumping in as it's hard to jump ship later on.
The Dr is very warm, thoughtful and engaging.
Good group, kind and follow up as they say they will.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Staff are great, and it's easy to get last-minute appointments. You often need to remind staff of existing conditions to make sure a procedure or medication won't interfere. It would be nice to be able to access the IVF coordinators directly but currently you have to go through the phone operators and leave a message.
$16,000 fresh IVF with ICSI, $5000 for medications $1500 for IUI (I think)
Describe Mary Abusief's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Early on an HCG was scheduled too close to ovulation. Another time I thought I came in for an ultrasound but it was actually for an SHG. Haven't had issues like that in the past 6 months.
Mary Abusief
Treated 2017
He was very clinical not very warm and friendly. I again felt that my age and having previous children put me in a different category and wasn’t given the attention. I felt that it was a waste of his time to get through the appointment...he is clinical. Not the warmest of bedside manor....I had the HSG ultrasound done. All the blood work. My FSH Blood rest has been holding me up. I can’t seem to get it timed correctly.
[PAMF] Very clean. Quiet and easy to manuever. Location was prime for me. I have to travel 45 minutes and it’s right off the freeway. Paperwork was easy to fill out and follow. Haven’t come across any weaknesses yet...they were super friendly and awesome. I felt they had my feelings in mind while going through all this. Although I was told by one that I wasn’t committed enough to trying to have another child.
How was your experience with Max Ezzati at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Be patient and understand that he is clinical. Not the warmest of bedside manor.
I walked away with the feeling that my age and the fact that I had two children prior put me in the back of the line for treatment.
I don’t really remember any of the specific protocols. But I had the HSG ultrasound done. All the blood work. My FSH Blood rest has been holding me up. I can’t seem to get it timed correctly.
They were super friendly and awesome. I felt they had my feelings in mind while going through all this. Although I was told by one that I wasn’t committed enough to trying to have another child.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I have had $3,000 in expenses so far.
Max Ezzati