Genetic counseling: Offered
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?

View fewer doctors
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic staff [at PREG] is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.... The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging... The plan was to ensure I was healthy and ready for the process. I had surgery to remove endometriosis and fibroids to make my uterus and ready as possible. I then will begin try a round of IUI, my choice. However, Dr. Whitman has recommended IVF or surrogacy due to my many recurrent losses, but that cost is beyond my family’s ability.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman recognized our pain and allowed me to drain my emotions. She did not rush through our sessions and she never made me feel like my questions were stupid. She recognized that for the last 8 years I have been suffering emotionally and physically and needed a physician to really listen to me. She made me feel as if what I had to say was important . The previous physicians did not listen to me and made me feel as if I did not know my body.
The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Thus far I have felt like a valued patient. I have felt that she cared about my emotional and physical health. She was realistic and upfront about our situation. After years of loss and suffering it makes a difference when a physician allows you to cry and share your hopes and dreams. When you feel that you dreams are shattering you need a physician that allows you to have hope or deal with reality.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman is honest and upfront. If you expect for a doctor to tell you what you want to hear versus the truth, she is not the one for you. If you want a real perspective, guidance and support the Dr. Whitman is it!
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Thus far care cost has been reasonable.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

I have had one of my prescriptions not called in on time and went to the pharmacy twice to check on it. ... Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. ... Weakness: I wish the office [PREG] would stay open longer on fridays. ... Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have, well educated nurses, works around my work schedule and even stays open during lunch hours, because it is so hard for me to get in due to working 8-5. Weakness: I wish the office would stay open longer on fridays.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession.
Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. During my initial consultation with her, she was able to explained the process of ovulation, reproduction, and IVF procedure with me in terms that I can easily understand, as English is not my 1st language. When my 1st cycle of femara did not work as expected she was respectful and help kepted me motivated and hopeful. Love nurse Tori! Nurse practitioner Stephanie is so sweet. She conducted some of my ultrasounds appointments and is very comforting when my results turned out negative. Nurse Lauren is awesome too! She always have a warm personality and calls in my prescriptions so I can pick it up right away. Stephanie, one of the receptionist at the spartanburg office I go to, is the sweetest. She always greets me by name and with a beautiful smile. This is so important because it made me feel like a family member and welcome.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I saw Dr. Nichols for my HSG testing and he was very informative and compassionate. He was able to answer any questions I had and his genuine personality made the atmosphere and my anxiety feel relaxed. For example, my cervix was short so he had to reclamp it a couple of times. He showed his concern by asking how I was feeling and letting me know before hand, you will feel some pressure here or it will feel uncomfortable when I do this but it's not intolerable. He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols is very gentle and will treat his patients with respect. His communication is simple to understand.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
The treatment I had was HSG testing. My results were normal and both of my fallopian tubes were not blocked. Dr. Nichols also offered ibuprofen in the office prior to the testing due to side effects of stomach cramping that can occur afterwards.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My cost of care was under Dr. Nichols was the fee for HSG testing. It was out of pocket since my insurance do not cover any fertility treatments.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
None
Spartanburg

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

I really like the fact that they [PREG] have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. ... The office is really nice and clean. ... After our first set of labs, I had not heard back from the clinic with the results. ... It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication. ... The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like the fact that they have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. It did take us about a month and a half to get an appointment with Dr. McCoy as his main office is not in West Columbia, but we knew that it was worth the wait. The office is really nice and clean. I have not found a weakness yet!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy took time prior to our visit to review the medical records that we sent over. He reviewed his medical records with us and explained that his lab work completed by our primary care doctor showed signs of Hypothyroidism which had gone undiagnosed. After carefully reviewing our records and discussing our goals together we created an "action plan".
The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number. If we have questions, they either answer them or will find an answer for us. I explained that we had met our yearly out of pocket expenses with health insurance and wanted to take advantage of all procedures that we need to have completed for IVF that our health insurance would cover before the end of the year. That spoke with Dr. McCoy and had no issues beginning that process even though we are not positive we will need IVF at this point. They will do what they can to help us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I chose Dr. McCoy because at this point we concluded that my husband was the reason we were not becoming pregnant. He did a Facebook live session discussing male infertility, just from watching this session and seeing how knowledgeable I knew I wanted to see him. We have only met with him one time as we are just beginning our journey, but before our appointment, he actually read our medical records! He was very honest about the fact that IVF may be our only option to conceive but did not make us feel that he was trying to "sell" us IVF. He answered all of my questions and provided us with detailed information and together we created an "action plan" to help us get pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Send all information regarding your and your partner's fertility before your visit.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Currently, we are very early in our treatment. Upon reviewing my husband's prior labs and semen analysis, he felt that there was a hormone issue that could be the leading cause of my husband's low sperm count and possibly issues with his vasectomy reversal, but we needed to start with the production of sperm. Based on recent lab work completed by our primary care provider he gave my husband a prescription for thyroid medicine and then sent us for labs. I was fortunate that my labs were fine but unfortunately, my husbands were not as he is making too much estrogen and not enough testosterone. Dr. McCoy started my husband on medication to suppress his estrogen and told us to come back in one month for additional labs. Fortunately, my husband's hormones are headed in the right direction but are not at an average level yet. He adjusted his medication and he will go back in November for additional lab work and a semen analysis to verify his body is producing sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Currently, we have not paid anything out of pocket due to reaching our cap out of pocket with insurance, but our insurance only covers diagnostic testing and a few other items. It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have not discussed this process.
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they [PREG] can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time. ... All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa has been very thorough with us in discussing each step along the path to pregnancy. He made sure to put things into terms we could understand and he always answers the many questions we have for him. When he can tell we may be worried or concerned, he has been quick to provide positive support and words of encouragement.
All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions. Each nurse has a unique personality and is very good about being super supportive. They have made us laugh and smile and enjoy being there. They have become part of our family!
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa is a good communicator and he makes sure to explain not only the recommended course of treatment but also the reason that course of action was chosen. Dr. Tarnawa always provides us with a thorough explanation of the risks and benefits of the various choices facing us. He is sharp, and I appreciate that he takes the time to fulling explain things to a point we understand them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I would just say the he is very busy and you won't see him at every visit, but rest assured he is involved/supervising every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My wife suffers from PCOS and does not have a regular cycle/doesn't ovulate on her own. Dr. Tarnawa examined her thoroughly and said that we could take medicine that would cause her to ovulate. He explained clomid and letrozole could both cause ovulation. He told us the positives and negatives of using each and allowed us to make the choice. We went with letrozole and after getting a base line reading of her follicle size, we completed a round of the medication and he began to measure her follicles shortly after to see the growth. He wanted a follicle to reach 20 mm. He also made sure to measure her endometrium to see its thickening. My wife's body responded and a follicle measured 20 mm so a trigger shot of ovidrel was administered. We then had an IUI, not the immediately falling day, but the day after that. The first time we discovered she did not ovulate. He increased the dosage amount of the letrozole for the second IUI attempt and followed the same procedure as before. This time she did ovulate and we home tested positive for pregnancy but it ultimately ended up being a chemical pregnancy. We followed the same procedure for our third IUI and got eleven weeks into a pregnancy but miscarried. We just completed our fourth IUI, again following the same procedure of taking letrozole, three 2.5 tablets per day for seven days, measuring follicle growth and endometrium response, doing a trigger shot after one follicle reaches 20mm or more, and the IUI a day and a half later.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have to pay for ultrasounds, blood draws, testing, semen analysis, IUIs, consultations, lab work.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have not engaged in either of those.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Strengths: Clinic [PREG] was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. ... Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses. ... Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path. ...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Clinic was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path.
While visiting Preg is was nice that the nurses and coordinators reminder your name and greet you with a smile. Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses.
The nurses and phlebotomist were always kind especially Deborah. She was always compassionate, understanding, and patient with the many questions I asked.
Dr. Nichols is a very intelligent and thorough doctor. The only downfall is you only get to see him maybe once a month if you are a patient at a Preg clinic outside of Greenville, SC. I have been told he takes phone appointments but i have not had one so i can't really speak to that.
Be aware of his schedule of only visiting Columbia once a month. I wish someone would of explained that to me when I first reached out to Preg.
Protocol was IVF since I previously had 3 unsuccessful IUIs in another clinic in Columbia. However, Dr. Nichols and I talked and wanted to do one more IUI. It was a successful IUI in terms of getting pregnant but unfortunately I miscarried due to a missing chromosome for the fetus.
Cost were cheaper than the other leading clinic in Columbia. But that didn't cheapen the service or the experience.
Columbia

...the clinic [PREG] left something to be desired. ... The people were friendly but it was casual. ... We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up. ... Much higher than anticipated. ... It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive ...
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was extremely please with the doctor but the clinic left something to be desired. I didn't feel like they even knew who I was even though we would be there multiple times a week. The people were friendly but it was casual. I see posts on social media celebrating new pregnancies but other than congratulations you're pregnant I don't remember anyone celebrating it or I didn't feel they were that excited for us. The doctor that filled in for Dr. McCoy for our IUI was a jerk. He was very blunt in telling us it wouldn't work but I was emotional and it was hard to take in at the time. It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive but Dr. McCoy was and he is the reason we want to go back and try again.
Dr. McCoy was very patient when explaining everything. He spoke with us several times about options before we started treatment. He has met with us already about trying for a second baby from our frozen embryos and was just as informative and patient this time. I was very emotional and his patience helped ease my anxiety.
All of the nurses were nice but I think I saw a different one every time so I didn't get to know the nurses.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was patient, kind and informative. When we started I was unsure if IVF was the right route for us but he took time to meet with us and go thru everything and had a very positive outlook. He was always reachable if I had questions. It's a very emotional situation and he understood that and was patient and kind every time we saw him.
Ask every question you can think of, he will answer it. He will take the time to make you feel comfortable.
Dr. McCoy laid out a plan for treatment, I don't recall the specifics now but go in knowing that it is not set in stone. I wanted a schedule so I could plan around that but your body doesn't work that way. Go in knowing that you will have to go with the flow. My eggs weren't growing as quick as they would've liked and I think I had to do an extra week or hormones before retrieval. I remember Dr. McCoy being concerned that we might only get 10 viable eggs and after the retrieval I had 21! Just be patient and know that Dr. McCoy knows what he is doing and trust that he will help you every way he can.
Much higher than anticipated. Insurance didn't cover anything. Price for the IVF cycle was $11,000 plus labs and drugs. We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up.
My husband and I had agreed that we would do up to 2 embryos but when Dr. McCoy saw the embryos he came to us and said our embryos were textbook good and only wanted to transfer one. We were nervous because we so badly wanted it to work but he was right, that one was our perfect little boy!
Greenville

Welcoming and kind staff [at Peidmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Welcoming and kind staff. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Dr. McCoy was very responsive to my questions and needs. He was understanding of the restrictions of my job and worked with me to make my appointments and cycles work (ie phone visits when I could not make office visits). He is very honest about the difficulties we face and is willing to discuss the details of treatments so that I and my husband fully understand.
Very accessible and responsive to questions. Extremely understanding and supportive of me and my husband. I usually see the same nurses at each visit which is great for putting me at ease.
He is understanding, compassionate and honest about the difficulties we face with conceiving. He is easy to get a hold of when needed and responsive to all questions/concerns. He is understanding of the restrictions of my job and works with me to make my cycles possible while continuing to work.
Be sure and ask questions about how your treatment plan s tailored to you. Dr. McCoy is great at explaining this!
IVF cycle: I have low ovarian reserve so my injection dosages where adjusted to try and stimulate as many follicles as possible. My husband unfortunately does not produce sperm so when he underwent testicular exploration to look for sperm, Dr. McCoy advised us to have a backup donor for my IVF cycle. I was closely monitored throughout the cycle with ultrasounds and my retrieval date was moved forward based on my progress. Unfortunately, our single fertilized egg arrested so I could not undergo embryo transfer. IUI: I was placed on high dose and prolonged course of letrozole in conjunction with Gonal F injection x3. Once again this was for my low ovarian reserve and trying to stimulate follicles. My first IUI was unsuccessful and I just completed my second insemination.
My insurance covers much of my fertility treatment costs. Office visit copays are usually less than $50. My IVF cycle was ~$4K upfront and IVF medications were ~$6K. I pay nearly nothing for the IUI cycles.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
The office [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.... hey are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all.
European, Middle Eastern, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.
Dr McCoy was extremely thorough & answered all my questions in an informative, concise, yet gentle manner. He was very sensitive as is the subject at hand, which I felt was very appropriate. It was nice to be treated in a considerate kind way while also having all my concerns addressed.
They are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all. The woman had just assumed I was already trying when we haven’t even gotten started yet. I was planning on finishing my last year of graduate school for social work, since I’m physically limited due to multiple extensive spinal fusions and chronic pain, i won’t have the energy time or capacity to finish it once a child arrives. But based on what the first nurse told me, I decided to pull out of the program until we sort out what’s going on. So it turns out I delayed for no reason, which is extremely frustrating.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr McCoy was extremely knowledgeable about endometriosis and my chances of conception. He was very kind and not at all condescending while explaining what was happening to me hormonally. He reassured me with a plan of action that he wrote down for me to follow, including hormonal medications and drawings of what my uterus was going through vs where we want it to be. He gently informed me I’ll eventually need more surgery and explained that he doesn’t take my insurance but that it might pay to just buy a plan for 1 month to make it at least somewhat affordable, since no other surgeon in this area is quite as specialized as him when it comes to good endometriosis removal results. I walked out of the room feeling well informed, cared for, and in control.
Bring a notebook!
He said I don’t need to come back until the moment we are ready to start trying
He said I can’t afford his endometriosis surgery with my insurance that he doesn’t take, and suggested I buy some if I want to see him for the surgery. He has the best results in the area and I don’t want to have to travel out of state.
Greenville

I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.

2012 - 2018
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office.... Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care.... Our insurance does not cover anything. Our IUI cycles cost about $1500. Our ivf cycle cost about $18,000. The last 3 frozen transfers have been over $11,000. This has all been paid out of pocket.
2012 - 2018
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office. We love miss Jackie! We miss Monte Ann very much! I do feel like the staff knows us very well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I feel that doctor Payne cares about me and my husbands care. He has always been kind and gentle no matter what we are going through. We’ve had some very sad news this year and he still has hope for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey (ivf coordinator))
Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care. Fertility complications are so hard and mentally exhausting. Compassion is so important! Sometimes I don’t feel she is confident on explaining what my test results are and what certain labs can mean.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne has been great. We have our sweet daughter because of him and we are so thankful for everything he’s done for us! I have sent many friends to him because we trust him. This year has been very rough with multiple loses and dissapointments. He is constantly trying to find new ways to help us carry another baby!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Make sure you see the Dr and not just a nurse.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success! The first frozen cycle was negative; the second resulted in an early miscarriage; the third resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
All staff [PREG] that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.... I called to get another medication for my next cycle when my pregnancy test was negative. The ovulation medication was called in
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
All staff that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.
He always rederred to me by my name. He asks questions on how my husband and I are doing related to other daily activities and not just about fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megen)
Megen is very personable, receptive to my comments, and overall wants whats best for me and my husband. She has answered all questions I have had without judgement. She has made sure I understood exactly what was going on and what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols is very personable and attentive to mine and my husbands needs. He was very thorough with his education to us making sure we fully understood the process and steps we have taken and will be taking.
Be patient. Sometimes things don't happen on our time but God's time.
We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle. That was followed up by another ultrasound to see if I had response. When I didn't respond, the medications were increased the next cycle with ultrasound and labs to determine if I responded. I am currently on my 4th cycle of ovulation medications with positive ovulations but no pregnancy.
$40 co pay for every visit.
Greenville

[PREG nursing staff was] Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!... My deducatable had not been met so costs added up to about $700 for me to personally pay for the one IUi because of multiple ultrasounds... Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
An in house nurse able to answer calls or call back as opposed to a nurse line that might be located in another city. More direction in the process of when to call and ovulation tests and when to order ovulation injections.
I felt that he was willing to be flexible and go the extra mile to see me, even though there are so many more women in my shoes
Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!
Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan, giving me the option to wait longer to pursue an IUI. His consultation was detailed and provided me and my husband with lots of information and educational material. I really felt comfortable around him and trusted his input and suggestions.
Be patient and flexible. Ask as many questions as you can to feel comfortable.
I completed one round of Clomid for 5 days right after my period. Unfortunately my cycle was 42 days which was rare for me so I did have to come in for multiple ultrasounds along the way. I did end up with follicles that we’re mature and received and injection right before the IUI was completed. The pregnancy test results were negative and when I came back in for the next cycle I had a large cyst so took a month break. I decided to take another month break with my schedule but plan on going back for my next cycle to try another attempt at IUI if I am not pregnant by then.
Not applicable
Columbia

The nursin staff and the lab staff were amazing. They recognized us every time we walked into the office and they remembered little things about us. They celebrated with us as we went back in for bloodwork after the positive urine test.... We liked everything about this clinic [PREG] except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We liked everything about this clinic except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Dr.Nichols was great at explaining all aspects of fertility and infertility in a way that anyone could understand. He showed us pictures and thoroughly explained testing and procedures. He asked us for our thoughts and how we were feeling about everything he explained to us. He gave us different options and let us make the decision with all of the information he provided. He made sure that we knew exactly what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
It was our very first time at a fertility clinic. We were very nervous and had no idea what to expect, however, Dr. Nichols was wonderful at explaining exactly what was going to happen next. He gave us realistic expectations and helped us develop a plan that we felt comfortable with. He also did a complete evaluation to get more information on what was going on with our bodies and why we couldn’t get pregnant. He didn’t jump to conclusions without the proper testing. He was great at communication or results and gave us several different options for treatment.
Be honest. Go into the visit and explain exactly how you are feeling and what you are expecting. Dr. Nichols will be very upfront with you and he will be honest with you. He doesn’t give you unrealistic expectations, instead he provides you with facts and educates you about what options you have and provides you with the statistics for success. We always felt comfortable leaving and knowing what to expect.
After two years of tryin to conceive, we decided to see Dr. Nichols. He completed a full diagnostic testing to see if he could find a possible reason to why we couldn’t get pregnant. He ran bloodwork, semen analysists, and also did an HSG procedure to check my Fallopian tubes. After the results came back, we got the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. There was no obvious reason they could find as to why we weren’t getting pregnant. He created a treatment plan that my husband and I felt comfortable with. We decided to try femera, the ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. The cycle we were suppose to start the treatment, we actually found out we were pregnant.
We didn’t hve insurance so we paid out of pocket for everything, however, they were aware of that and only ordered the necessary testing.l and helped us get good pricing on medications.

2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
All of the nurses at PREG are wonderful. Also, the financial counselors and blood work ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful.... PREG is a very welcoming fertility center. You leave knowing what your next appointment will be like, what you next steps are, and even knowing the cost of associated procedures. The only bad thing is that the clinic is so busy that sometimes you end up waiting longer than expected.... My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne really seemed interested in providing my husband and I with all of the tools and knowledge needed to become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay P.)
Dr. Payne was so helpful with our process to become pregnant. Even when things didn't go as planned, he was very optimistic in encouraging us to keep going with our treatment. At every IUI and every appointment really, he was so good at making us feel comfortable. My husband is very leery when it come to medical stuff, so it was important to me that Dr. Payne made us both feel comfortable.
Just be patient and let him do whatever he thinks is best for you and your situation. I know it will be hard to go thru the "preliminary" tests, but its all in the best interest of you and your future family!
We started out with Dr. Payne with our first cycle a few years ago. At that time, it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control. After that, we went back and did planned intercourse with 50 mg of Chlomid to start off with. After an unsuccessful three months, we then moved onto three IUI's. After those were also unsuccessful, we ended up at IVF, which was successful on the first try!
My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00 The financial department was really good about listing what the cost of your procedures would be.
Greenville

The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.... I would recommend that you make sure you have already thought through your questions and have an idea of what you're wanting. It's good to have an open mind, but have a conversation about how far you're willing to go (IVF, egg donor, etc.) and have some questions written down so that you have a direction to take when meeting with the doctor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He took the time to document all the factors to our situation, things we can do to help those factors and how reasonable it was to do them. He answered all of my prying questions :)
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results. However we're just about to begin IVF so not sure what the future holds for us!
Ask questions! Leave with a plan in place.
Looking at all our factors, age, endometriosis, two ovaries, etc. Dr. McCoy looked at all options outside of IVF to give us a chance and was very helpful at giving us percentages. Based on our previous experiences, he made helpful recommendations and the pros and cons of whether to move forward with IVF or not. I appreciate his open mind.
We've just begun the process. It does seem like the charges are high for some appointments, but obviously they factor in that insurance will reduce it.

Tubal Blockage, Other
Weakness [for the Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group]I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.... My Protocol was Gonal F 225 units injection for 9 days , low dose hcg SQ injections 15 unirs a day for 9 days. I started off using microdose Lupton am/pm at 20 units twice daily for 12 days. My hubby and I took keflex 500mg twice a day for 19 days. Took baby aspirin 81mg once daily. Had 2 baseline ultrasound s, and 2 blood tests. Took Medrol 16mg once a day the day after egg retrivel till few days adter transfer. I took a 5mg valium and Feldene 10mg an hour before transfer. The valium did not help , I was still tense and felt everything. I started the progesterone 50mg once a day injection the day after egg retrivel surgery till my 14 day blood test that was negitive.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.
Dr. GAIL IS very caring and understanding with my needs.
They all were caring and helped us .
She is a very good , and caring doctor. She informed my husband and I on every step of the way.She explained everything to us in a gentle way. I will continue to go to her as long as we can. I highly recommend her to everyone!!
Dr. WHITMAN IS A VERY CARING , AND UNDERSTANDING DOCTOR THAT WILL TREAT YOU THE WAY WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
We did the Simply IVF the payment to doctor office was $5500.00. We paid for a sonagraham before we started our cycle it cost us $500.00. Each time we meet the doctor it cost us $90.00 dollars each time.
Columbia

I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
Asheville

Every nurse and care coordinator [at PREG-Greenville] that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are how well they help you plan and how fast they follow-up with any questions or concerns. A new patient would need to know that they will have to be flexible with schedule times. All of the treatments are scheduled on specific days, so if you work, you will need to possibly take time off for certain treatments. Sometimes, it's a hardship that the Asheville clinic is only open half a day on Fridays.
Dr. Nichols and his staff are always friendly and willing to help you with anything you need. Any time you call with a question or concern, they are always helpful and get back to you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla)
Every nurse and care coordinator that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Dr. Nichols is very thorough with his explanations and answers all questions. Sometimes he goes a little too fast with all the information. As with any doctor's office, you have to be your own advocate and ask questions if you don't understand certain process/procedures. The whole fertility treatment process can be very overwhelming, and he is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Make sure you ask questions about anything you don't understand. He goes very fast with the information, and it can be a little overwhelming. Also, be aware that he doesn't do all the procedures himself. A lot of patient care and treatments are carried out by the nursing staff even though you pay co-pays as if you are seeing a specialist.
Dr. Nichols used the Pre Univfy report to help determine the best options for fertility care. He went over the report and started with the basic treatment of clomid with ovidrel shot and timed intercourse. After two timed intercourse treatments failed, we then moved into the clomid/ovidrel/IUI treatment process. After two of those failed treatments and a year of trying to conceive, we met back with Dr. Nichols to discuss possible IVF treatments. During most of this time, treatment options and treatment procedures were carried out by nursing staff.
My insurance does not pay for many of the treatments at PREG. However, they did provide me with a Compassionate Care card to help save on ovidrel shots. They also have provided me with financing information if I proceed with IVF. Financial data was presented up front after my initial appointment.
Even though he didn't mention "eSET", he did discuss not transferring more than one embryo at a time to prevent multiples.
Greenville

I found the majority of the nurses [at PREG-Greenville] to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic stays on top of each case and are always quick to answer any and all questions you have. They treat you with respect and are sensitive to the nature of why you’re receiving fertility treatments. They do have multiple offices in various locations. I found it confusing when calling my office and reaching another location, only to be transferred back to my office. That situation complicated instances of calling nurses who’d left messages for me to call. It’s a minor complaint, but I always warn people I’ve referred to how their phone system operates. I’d prefer to call my location and talk to someone there.
Dr. Payne was very open and honest about our treatment plan. I always had a lot of questions and he was very patient in answering each one of them. He made us feel as though he truly cared about our desire to have children.
I found the majority of the nurses to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Having gone through prior fertility consultations with unpleasant doctors, my expectations of my initial visit with Dr. Payne were extremely low. I had such a hesitation about meeting him and listening to his plan. I vividly remember walking into his office stone faced as if that would help protect me from the cold natured doctor’s I had seen in the past. I was a broken, infertile woman and didn’t know that in just an hour, my perception of fertility treatments would be changed forever. As we talked about my case and IVF being our only option to conceive, I asked him if he thought it would work for us. I’ll never forget the optimist sound in his voice when he told me he absolutely thought we had a great chance of getting pregnant through IVF. Right there sitting in his office, the wall came down and so did the tears. Dr. Payne had just given my husband and me hope! It was something that I’d lost in the 4 years of trying to conceive. My struggle didn’t end that. I went on to miscarry twins and have a negative frozen embryo transfer, but Dr. Payne has been by our side throughout the entire process. He unexpectedly called me at home to see how I was handling the news that I was going to miscarry and if I had any questions because he had not been in the office that day and wanted to check on me. . He went above and beyond, but that is the kind of doctor he is. He will always be special to our family because he helped us have our son. We’ve since tranfered more embryos and have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant again. We are out of frozen embryos and will need to do another egg retrieval to start again. Dr. Payne has yet again reached out to see how we’re doing and if we’re ready to start the process again. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop by saying I’ve referred several of my closest friends to Dr. Payne, and I think that speaks volumes as to how much I value him as my doctor.
Don’t hesitate in scheduling an appointment with him. He has your best in mind and will work tirelessly to help you reach your goal.
With each IVF cycle, I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos. I took a 10 antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. One fresh embryo was transferred and split, but I miscarried the twins. Several months later, I began prepping for our frozen embryos transfer. It began with birth control, Lupron and progesterone injections as well as estrogen patches. I also took the 10 day antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. We became pregnant and the progesterone injections and estrogen patches continued until about 10 weeks pregnant. Our last and most recent transfer was a little different. I took birth control, estrogen tablets both orally and vaginally and progesterone injections. The antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone protocol remained the same.
The first egg retrieval and fresh transfer were approximately $12,000 (excluding medication costs). The second transfer with frozen embryo was approximately $3,000 and the most recent frozen transfer was about $3,300.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
If the embryo looks good or great, Dr. Payne highly recommends transferring a single embryo. He tries to avoid multiples at all costs. However, my husband and I transferred two embryos for two of our transfers. Dr. Payne respected our decision and supported us.
Greenville

The nurses and our coordinator [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
They [PREG-Greenville] are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
I don’t feel rushed during our appointments and he is very thorough with his explanations
They are very helpful and friendly. They greet me with a smile and always ask how they can assist me. They are a great support for the doctors
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was very knowledgeable in my medical concerns and gave his honest opinion of what treatment he thinks will work best. He wasn’t pushy with his recommendation and wasn’t irritated or annoyed with my notebook full of questions.
To be open minded and positive. Infertility is a sensitive issue. Trust his judgement but also listen to your gut. You know your body better than anyone else.
When we first met we had to test out my hug from my ectopic. We then started with letrozole once it was determined I was t ovulating due to irregular periods. An HSG was preformed to ensure my fallopian gives weren’t blocked and it was confirmed they were open and my uterus appeared in good shape. I took letrozole for four cycles with timed intercourse. A trigger shot was administered on the third cycle. We took a break this month and will try again in December. We have not fallen pregnant yet but we are extremely hopeful
We are currently $2000 or so in and have more treatments since we are not yet pregnant

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
MiKayla [a nurse at PREG- Asheville] is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.... Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful.
European, Other
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I enjoy PREG. Unfortunately they don't take parents from self pay patients, so that's made us have to take a break with treatments, but that's the only negative I have to say about PREG. They are always nice and helpful on the phone. Wait times are super fast from the lobby. Office is always clean and quiet. I've been to Asheville, Spartanburg, and Greenville offices.
Whether I or my husband were seeing Dr McCoy that day, he acted as if we had just talked to him the day before. He was always friendly, positive, and knowledgeable. He is very smart, but easy to talk to. Very personable and listens.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: MiKayla)
MiKayla is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.
Dr McCoy is a very intelligent man, but doesn't treat you like you're just some number to him. He is caring and compassionate. He takes time to listen to you and your concerns. You definitely do not feel rushed to get out of his office. He answers all questions and gives you hope to your situation. He's a very busy provider and his schedule proves that, but you don't get that sense of rush when you are in front of him. He is also a top notch surgeon who gave me hope when several other providers only had bad news. I had to go into surgery to fix one issue, but he made sure to check other things out in there to prevent having to go back in later.
He is very busy, so be patient. He is worth the wait.
Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful. Taking a break at this time due to finances.
While I had insurance, I didn't have to pay anything other than copay. Once we lost insurance, we had to pay $475 up front for both IUI procedures.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
Everyone smiles [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] , they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit...Megan [nurse] was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease...This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see. I love the atmosphere there. Front desk staff are very nice and genuine, being sure to take care of you as soon as you walk in. The bathrooms are always clean, something we all want at a doctor's office. The rooms are always very neat, clean, and prepared for the patient. Last but not least, check out is a breeze. Everyone smiles, they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit.
Dr. McCoy met with me individually, with my partner, explained and wrote things out. He spoke to us with care and concern, expressing his feelings about what could or could not happen. He was very direct and open, which is something I prefer. I appreciated knowing every little detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease. Megan cared for me each time I had an appointment. She would even come out into the lobby to talk to me until I was called back, then go to meet me in back. We have a phenomenal relationship and I hope to get an opportunity to try again just to see Megan!
Dr. McCoy was very detailed, showed his experience in his field, explained in detail about the process and what to expect, good or bad. He also used paper to draw things out to clarify even more, to be sure my partner and I understood everything in front of us.
Lay it all out for him. Tell him EXACTLY what you want.
I do not remember the exact protocol.
The cost for the IUI was expensive for me, but I TRULY want to be a mother so I used my savings to pay for it out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it. Also, the donor sperm is much more expensive. I have 2 best friends that I have been previously sexually active with years ago, that agreed to be my sperm donor, but I'm not very clear on what happened with that. It would have been more cost efficient for me.
Greenville

They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations.
Columbia
The main weakness [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
As far as strengths go, I feel like PREG is above and beyond when it comes to modern treatments and is a leader in reproductive health and education. I truly feel like it's the place to go when you want help to reach your dream of having children. The main weakness would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Dr. Nichols always treated me like a human, not just a numbered patient. There was a personal aspect to all of our interactions and I appreciated the fact that he always greeted me by name, asked how I was, and gave me genuine information to help me made the best decisions.
I want to single out Meghan because she was so wonderful to me throughout my IUI treatments. I called multiple times with questions that would come up and she was always so responsive and kind in her replies and answers. I felt like she truly cared about me and my results. She showed compassion during visits when she was my nurse, and made me feel less afraid and disheartened.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols always provided me with all of the information I needed to make the best decisions regarding my course of treatment. He did not sugar coat anything or give me false hope and I appreciated his candidness. He also told me that sometimes all things can be in line and look great and it still just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future.
I would say tell him your desires and then listen with an open mind as he goes over your test results with you and what he thinks might be the best choice for you as far as treatments go. He is so knowledgeable and I so appreciated his wisdom and expertise as I entered a world that I previously knew nothing about. It's a scary experience - but he makes it not so scary and easier to navigate.
First, he recommended that my spouse see a doctor at the clinic so that we could get his count in a good place (great results and increase in count, motility, etc.) While my husband was going working on his side of things, Dr. Nichols made sure I was getting started with everything I needed to do for myself (prenatal vitamins, metformin, blood work, femara, etc). My follicle scans were planned and I responded favorably each time, which made me feel great.
Insurance did not cover any fertility treatments for me, so all of my expenses are out of pocket. It is quite expensive, but I was aware that fertility treatments are costly.
I did not participate in any of this.
Greenville

Overall my experience has been pleasant. I do feel there was a communication disconnect on occasion. One nurse [at PREG] would tell me one thing, then another would tell me something different. I also scheduled an appt once and when I arrived they had no record that the appointment was made. What's funny is that was the only time I had them write my appointment date and time on a business card so I had proof that I had scheduled the appointment. I ended up waiting over an hour.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall my experience has been pleasant. I do feel there was a communication disconnect on occasion. One nurse would tell me one thing, then another would tell me something different. I also scheduled an appt once and when I arrived they had no record that the appointment was made. What's funny is that was the only time I had them write my appointment date and time on a business card so I had proof that I had scheduled the appointment. I ended up waiting over an hour.
Dr. Tarawa has always been personable and caring. He has gone in to great detail when explaining everything, including care and procedures. I felt like some of the staff workibg with him were not as personable and at times made me feel like a number.
Overall the nursing staff were pleasant to work with. I had two occasions, with two different nurses, that I felt were upsetting. First, when I was checking out after my last ultrasound visit, I was given a time for my husband and I to come back for a semen retrieval and IUI. I asked the checkout nurse if there was another time available that day and the look she gave me was like, "are you serious!?" and she very loudly asked, "for your insemination procedure!?" There were several others in the lobby and I felt a little embarrassed. Also not sure why she felt the need to ask since of course that is what I'm referring to being my only scheduled appointment. The second time was during my second IUI. When I went for my first IUI I was never told to come with a full bladder and therefore the procedure was more difficult and painful. So I made sure to drink a glass of water and not use the restroom the second time around, obviously I would want the procedure to be as easy and painless as possible. So when they started the ultrasound the nurse assisting my usual nurse (who is great) kept asking if I really drank anything because my bladder was not full. It almost seemed like she was accusing me of lying. She then proceeded to berate me about it, pointing it out on the ultrasound and getting increasingly frustrated. So much so that i felt the tears welling upon my eyes. Luckily they left the room, to get me an entire bottle of water, so they did not see. In the end, the full bladder did not make much of a difference because of the positioning of my uterus and bend in my cervix.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa has always been very personable and caring. He is very easy to talk to and thoroughly describes everything. I have a retroverted uterus and my cervix is angled up so the IUI procedure was more difficult and took a little thinking outside of the box, using different flexible catheters.
Send staff to sensitivity training...
I went to Dr. Tarnawa as a second opinion after working with an alternate fertility clinic. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility after all of my tests came back normal. This is now the fourth year I've been trying to conceive my first child. Because of my small size I was started on 50 MG clomid before my first IUI. I was only producing 1-2 follicles so he increased my clomid to 100mg which prompted my body to produce a more follicles but still only 1-2 would continue to advance. After three clomid cycles, 2 being IUI cycles, i was still unable to conceive.
Every ultrasound visit I would pay around $100 out of pocket. I paid around $250 for each IUI out of pocket.
Endometriosis, PCOS
The clinic is well lit. It was quite and personal. It was always clean and there was never any issue finding the place. No matter what happens do not give up. If there is any apprehensiveness the staff will be there and the accounting section of PREG will help out in whatever way possible.... The nursing staff at PREG is incredible. Everyone was easy to talk to and ready to answer my questions whenever I needed something. If they didn't know the answer they would do whatever they had to
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I felt like a human the moment I walked in the door. I was not just a paycheck to the doctor's office. Everyone knew me by name and still know me by name. It felt good to feel like they were there to make my dreams come true.
The nursing staff at PREG is incredible. Everyone was easy to talk to and ready to answer my questions whenever I needed something. If they didn't know the answer they would do whatever they had to to make sure the question was answered thoroughly. I felt like part of the family.
It was nice to have Dr. McCoy actually care about my well being. I didn't feel like I was there to make sure he got paid. When I began to cry because of the issues happening he was there to comfort me and said that we would be a team to get through it together. The only thing that lacked is that I could not continue to get treatment for how much it was going to cost us.
Do not give up! Continue to communicate with Dr. McCoy and really tell him your dreams and he will do what he can to achieve those dreams.
I was given clomid at first and it worked for a while but then it was like my body became immune to it so he moved me to another medicine. From there I was taking injections and getting ultrasounds done regularly.
For IVF it would be over 8000 dollars and for insemination it was going to be over 1200 dollars.
Columbia

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
You get an appointment really fast, they [PREG] help you with the insurance and check everything you need. So that was great. Also about calling you back on your blood work etc. really good and they explained everything and you always could call back if you still had questions. ... I love them [nurses]. So nice. My husband almost passed out giving blood and they came and gave him juice and put an ice pack in his neck. What can I say, just lovely ladies.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have t seen the surgical area where they do the procedures. But the rest is really nice. Nothing to complaint about. You get an appointment really fast, they help you with the insurance and check everything you need. So that was great. Also about calling you back on your blood work etc. really good and they explained everything and you always could call back if you still had questions.
He read all my files from Germany. He tried to understand all the treatments I did and asked a lot of question. He also did all the Hormon work, nobody ever bothered to do in Germany. Such a nice person. We are just starting our first round with him now.
I love them. So nice. My husband almost passed out giving blood and they came and gave him juice and put an ice pack in his neck. What can I say, just lovely ladies.
He explained me some of my testing from home (Germany) that I run out off eggs. I was so shocked, because the clinic in Germany told me 3 years ago everything is fine. He told me about the risk doing it with my own eggs again and because wanted to give it a lost shot he told me that we will discuss other opportunities later. First we concentrate on that. He also told with the history of misscarieges and the test I have that we should check the embryos to make sure it is healthy to avoid more miscarriages and the emotional pain that comes with it. I am really disappointed in the German health system and really glad we get a chance here in the USA.
Don’t hesitate to ask you questions, he will answer each one of them. Hewont leave you hanging
Haven’t done a protocol jet. Starting soon.
Can’t say jet. Starting circle in April.
Greenville

Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly. ... The [PREG] clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]...The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost".
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I feel like the doctors are a strength, but it's hard to know when you'll see your doctor, so most of the time you'll be dealing with the staff. The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost". I can't make a financial decision without any real information, so I decided not to move forward with the treatment with this clinic. The doctors do frequent seminars about infertility and treatments, and if you attend they give you a $250 gift certificate, but I was never able to use mine because they don't accept it toward most of the costs not covered by my insurance, and it expired before it was applicable toward any of my bills, and they absolutely would not extend the expiration date.
I felt like he was very present during our appointments, but he didn't necessarily remember me or the specifics of my case from one appointment to the next.
I saw several different nurses during my years of treatment at PREG, and they ranged quite a bit. All were nice and professional, but some seemed much more "equipped" for dealing with infertility issues that others. I had two instances where a nurse performed the IUI instead of a doctor, and neither went very well. The first took almost 25 minutes to complete, because of my weird anatomy, and was very painful during and for a long time after. The last IUI I got at PREG was performed by a nurse, who actually couldn't complete it and had to get a doctor to finish the procedure. That one also took about 30 minutes, but while it was uncomfortable, it wasn't as painful as the first.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I liked Dr. McCoy as a person and a doctor, but I didn't feel he was super aggressive about treating my infertility, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He allowed my husband and I to steer the course through our fertility treatments, but a little more guidance may have been helpful at times.
If you want to actually see Dr. McCoy at a visit, make sure to request that. At 75% of my appointments/procedures I saw a different doctor or a nurse, but I was never told before I came that he wouldn't be present.
We used Femara on its own for several cycles. My previous doctor had only used Clomid, so he wanted to see how I responded to Femara. We did four cycles of IUI with the injectables, but no Femara, as he said the Femara would not make a difference. All cycles failed.
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received.
Columbia

[PREG- Greenville's] Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Everyone [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] is very friendly and wonderful to be around. From the person who signs you in to the person at check out, every person is smiling, saying hello to you and shows compassion when they can see that you need it.... As a patient, I felt that Dr Nichols was with us 100% of the way. I felt that I was the most important and only patient he was treating, even though I knew I wasn't. The entire IVF journey is very emotional and having Dr. Nichols as my doctor, I really lucked out.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everyone is very friendly and wonderful to be around. From the person who signs you in to the person at check out, every person is smiling, saying hello to you and shows compassion when they can see that you need it.
We scheduled a consult with him before we committed to anything. My chances of getting pregnant at 43 and way overweight, weren't great, and Dr Nichols told me that in a very friendly way. I felt that he and I connected right then because he could see and hear how badly I wanted a child and he treated me like I needed to know the facts, and I needed a doctor who would be there for me. He and his team were wonderful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I don't recall names, but I had a few)
The staff was fantastic. I highly recommend this clinic.
He will tell you the truth, and not sugar coat it. But he's not being abrupt, he's telling you what you need to hear and not what you always want to hear. You need a doctor that in on your side like Dr. Nichols, because he really is wanting to help.
I had lots of shots and lots of medicine. I know I had Clomid, and I can't recall the name of everything. Did one embryo transfer and it was unsuccessful. Dr Nichols adjusted the medications. We then did 2 embryo transfers and resulted in pregnancy with one.
It was expensive, but it was expected. I can't recall the exact cost, but I had seen a doctor in Colorado and the Colorado doctor was way more expensive and she was all about the money.
He told me all the facts and let me decide.
Greenville

I liked how the nurses at the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology] clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well...Overall, my husband and I probably spent close to $400 for our tests and procedures (which included a 2 semen analysis, blood tests, and a HCG test).
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic’s strengths would be their organization, friendliness, concern, time management, thoroughness, and communication. I don’t have much to say about weaknesses. I don’t recall feeling negative about anything during my visits. I’d recommend new patients to this clinic for sure.
Dr.Payne was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I liked how the nurses at the clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well.
When I had my HCG procedure done, Dr.Payne was more than ready to address any concerns I had. He was very careful and gentle throughout the procedure. He explained every step he made. Afterwards, Dr.Payne helped me understand that I had no tubal blockage and carefully assured me that I could conceive. I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he was during my visit for this procedure.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions if there is something medically you don’t understand or comprehend. Dr. Payne never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question.
I don’t recall any at this time.
Spartanburg

They [PREG] charged me and my husband for an initial consultation even though they did not really work with my husband because we already had frozen embryos. If I go back, I won't take him to the consultation.... Meghan is the most amazing nurse ever! I cannot say enough good things about her. She cared, understoid the difficulties, and helped me through the process. When I had some bleeding she did everything she could to help me and she encouraged me when I needed it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They charged me and my husband for an initial consultation even though they did not really work with my husband because we already had frozen embryos. If I go back, I won't take him to the consultation.
I feel like they really cared.
Meghan is the most amazing nurse ever! I cannot say enough good things about her. She cared, understoid the difficulties, and helped me through the process. When I had some bleeding she did everything she could to help me and she encouraged me when I needed it. I am at thankful for her. I did not feel like all the other nurses cared quite the same. I was told they would give me a few samples of medicine if needed, I ran out because my mother in law passed away and vecause of that I was busy and thus late ordering more, I called and was made to feel very bad for asking for a sample so I had to work out another solution on my own - although maybe it was hormones. That was very stressful to deal with when the doctor had told me they would help but I think the nurse just thought I was lazy which maybe was fair but I was having a tough time.
He was very helpful, gave me the information needed and primarily, I ended up with a baby. Is hard to know how I would feel if I didn't have a baby, but I think that's what matters. He tried some things to help ensure the process would work, and it did.
Don't give up hope.
I do not remember all the details but I went through a trial cycle where they tested my uterus in the transfer day to ensure that they could time it correctly. Then the next month, did it again but with two embryos!
Because I had already had three failures, we used two. If I were to try again, I would only use 1.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Each and every person we dealt with [at PREG] were nice and very helpful. They always responded back to our phone calls or emails. They made us feel comfortable and always encouraged us and greeted us with a smile.... Our insurance did not cover the IVF expenses but it did cover the doctor appointments and ultrasounds. We had to pay $90 for each trigger shot. IUI cost us $475. The total cost for our IVF was around $17,000. PREG does offer financial options if you meet the requirements.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Each and every person we dealt with were nice and very helpful. They always responded back to our phone calls or emails. They made us feel comfortable and always encouraged us and greeted us with a smile.
He was honest from the beginning. He gave us hope and also was realistic about our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Very understanding, compassionate and thorough.
He was honest with us from the beginning and was very helpful along the way. He never gave us false hope but he made sure he did all he could do. He explained things in a manner that we understood and was VERY attentive. He took his time at each doctor's visit espcially once I became pregnant.
Dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to because he will definitely answer them.
We started out with me taking letrazole at the medium dosage and when that didn't produce the results we wanted he put me on the highest dosage. I had to inject the trigger shot each month. He also put my husband on clomid due to low sperm mobility and count. We weren't getting a positive test with timed intercourse so we done three IUI's. Dr. Mccoy had high hopes for the last one but it resulted in yet another negative pregnancy test. He told us we could look into IVF because he felt that was going to be our best best. We started IVF fertility drugs and I was put on higher quantities due to my past dosages not being enough with letrazole. After the first round of IVF I became pregnant and we now have a 3month old baby girl.
Dr. Mccoy had a strong preference for single embryo transfer because he said he would rather quantity over quality. Which we agreed because healthy is always better.

2014 - 2017
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.... They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
Spartanburg

The entire staff [at PREG] was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
Columbia

The entire staff at PREG was amazing. They were all compassionate and understanding. When the egg monitoring ultrasounds were painful (I had an ovary that liked to hide) - the nurse held my hand. With all of the blood draws, the monitoring, the planning sessions - we were there a lot. And everyone knew our names and our situation.... Total cost was about $15,000 for sperm removal procedure, egg retrieval, embryo development and embryo transfer - and ALL medications for both me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The team is very knowledgeable and very, very compassionate. They take the time to know their patients and cultivate relationships. As your planning your family - they feel like an extension of your family.
Dr McCoy and his staff were very welcoming and understanding of our fertility situation. He gave us hope of having a family of our own. They took the time to learn about our history and what we wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I can't remember - but she was amazing!)
Dr McCoy was always personable and eager to answer all of our questions. He was super knowledgeable - especially about male fertility and sperm retrieval processes (which we had to utilize due to my husbands nerve damage). He was very caring and spoke to use using lay-terms, not medical terms we didn't understand.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - this was all new to us and he was very patient with us and our million questions!
My husband had to have a sperm retrieval procedure. Then I was put on a series of hormone injections to produce a usable number of eggs (I have PCOS, so my number of eggs was never a problem). The eggs were removed and embryo's were developed. Due to my increased level of hormones still in my system, the viable embryos (3) were frozen until my next menstrual cycle. I was then implanted with the 2 most viable embryo's - both of which were successful! I successfully carried 2 girls until the week 20 - when I went into labor. Both girls were born vaginally, but neither survived.
We requested both viable embryo's be transferred due to our age - we wanted a better chance of implantation.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [Piedmont Reproduction Endocrinology Group] is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.... The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.... Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.
Greenville

Stephanie [nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on...Strengths of the clinic include knowledge on all things infertility and treatments and personal care. The clinic is always kept very clean and appointments are easy to make. One weakness that comes to mind is the call back can sometimes take a little time. They generally return my calls by the end of the day but sometimes it can be the next day when I really need an answer.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The ladies in his office always knew my name and asked me personal questions regarding events in my life. I did not see Dr. Payne a lot but when I did he was very personable and I felt wanted to help me through the difficult journey of infertility.
Stephanie was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I feel that Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about my conditions and did explain the course of treatment for PCOS and anovulation. He allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how many times I could try a treatment while being realistic on the chances of it being successful. I did not care for the last time that we spoke him pushing IVF but he did explain everything and what to expect with the procedure itself. Of the times we spoke he was very kind and caring.
Research treatments and their success rates. Dr. Payne does not explain success rates in as much detail as he does with IVF.
We started our journey with 5 medicated cycles with timed intercourse. My HSG showed bilateral clear tubes and husbands semen analysis was normal with only mild variation in shape. I did not ovulate on my own so the thought was to add follicle stimulation medication. We did one cycle of clomid with no follicles at CD 12 ultrasound and then switched to femara for five cycles. The femara produced one follicle each month which ranged from 20-25mm. A HCG trigger shot was added with each medicated cycle to induce ovulation and three days of intercourse was suggested after administration of trigger shot. We did not conceive on any of the medicated cycles with timed intercourse. Dr. Payne suggested to try a more invasive procedure since the medicated cycles with timed intercourse seemed to not be enough so we tried IUI. The IUI was with femara and the HCG trigger. I produced one 20-25 follicle each cycle and we trigged with the IUI to follow 24 hours later. My husbands semen counts were between 15-23 million each procedure. We were unsuccessful with the IUI procedures. No explanation could be given and Dr. Payne suggested that we move on to an even more invasive procedure such as IVF as the chance for success after any three consecutive treatments is 30%. So here we are.
Follicle scans were $86 per scan. Lab draws were $45. Semen analysis was $250. IUI procedure was $250.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
My prescriptions were called in to the wrong pharmacy multiple times after I had been seeing them for over 6 months. I had to call [PREG] three times in regards to calling in a prescription one time. I called and requested a billing statement for tax purposes left a message and never received a call back, so had to call again. When I ended up with a bill and questioned why as I paid my balance in full at every visit as I was self pay with no fertility coverage Holly became very rude with me and told me it was my responsibility to know how much I am suppose to pay at each visit.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Scheduling is very easy and they work with you on appointment times. The billing office/financial office is very difficult to deal with and can get very rude when questioned as to why your bill is the amount it is. Holly at the Columbia office is very un compassionate and rude.
When we had our first meeting with Dr McCoy it was a positive experience however from there on out, he never remembered our situation or mine or my husbands names. He had to pull up and review our chart every time he saw us.
Every time I was seen it was mostly by a different nurse or NP, they would ask the same questions multiple times during my appointments which made me question if they were even listening to what I was saying.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
When we first started at PREG with Dr McCoy we left feeling very positive however every visit thereafter I feel like they were less than thrilled to see us, never remembered us by name and sometimes we had appointments two or three times a week. My medication pretty much remained the same every cycle with no success cycle after cycle, when asked about moving to the next step of IUI was told it was not much different than doing what we were already doing, but if we wanted we could give it a try. I had to ask for labs to be drawn for my AMH and FSH levels and base line labs. Unfortunately after 10 failed cycles and real no explanation as to why, we decided to seek treatment elsewhere.
Ask every question you can possibly think of, be an advocate of your infertility.
I was started on femara only then after a few cycles of no success the trigger shot ovidrel was added then after a few cycles of no success prednisone was added. Unfortunately none of my cycles ended with success. He diagnosed me with PCOS, tubal blockage and anoovulation. The femara was to due to anoovulation the prednisone was for the PCOS and the ovidrel was to make me ovulate.
Follicle scan was $182 consultation was $150 all my medications were bought at my local pharmacy or through freedom fertility pharmacy
Greenville

Not a long wait in waiting room [Piedmont Reproductive] never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all...The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!..Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not a long wait in waiting room never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all
Dr Payne was always caring and concerned! Never once did he lose hope and faith that one day I will get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy! He always gave me options to choose from instead of deciding for me and he included me in my plan of care!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures! She is truely the sweetest person ever! She is a great person to communicate with through this journey! She has touched so many lives and families in ways she will never understand! Truely amazing!
He always included me in the plan of care and gave me options to choose from for future cycles! Always answered questions fully and was very knowledgeable answering my questions! Great bedside manners! Dr Payne would sometimes seem rushed when meeting with him, however he was the only doctor at the Spartanburg office and if ever you had further questions after getting home you could always call the office and questions would be answered immediately!
Do not give up no matter how long the process is or how many failures you have to go through!
For the 3 IUI procedures, I was taking Femara and gonal-f along with a trigger shot! I was not ovulating or producing eggs of great quality and these medications helped that process! For my IVF egg retrieval I was on an antagonist protocol! This worked very well as 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 were mature, 12 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blasts! We were able to do a fresh transfer of 1 Embryo but this cycled failed as well! My first frozen Embryo transfer I was stimulated with estrace, medrol, and progesterone! We plan on transferring only one Embryo!
the costs of these procedures are extremely expensive however I don't think it's in relation to the office or physician! I feel like, in general, all infertility treatments are extremely expensive! The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!
I am a person who is scared of carrying multiples such as twins or triplets because I am a labor and delivery nurse and understand and know the risks of carrying multiples! Dr Payne is very adiment on only transferring just one Embryo for this simple reason! I love that about his plan of care for patients!

2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
We never waited long for any appointments or procedures as they [PREG] ran on time the majority of the time. I always received calls back in a timely manner. All staff members that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. The staff did a great job of explaining everything they were doing and making me feel comfortable.... Stephanie was fantastic to work with. She was responsive to calls and emails and worked to ensure that I had everything I needed.
2012 - 2017
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We never waited long for any appointments or procedures as they ran on time the majority of the time. I always received calls back in a timely manner. All staff members that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. The staff did a great job of explaining everything they were doing and making me feel comfortable.
Dr. Payne was extremely compassionate. He made sure we understood our options and what we could expect. He gave us his thoughts and suggestions but allowed us to make the ultimate the decision. During our retrieval and transfers he was exceptional and explained everything that was happening as it happened. HIs staff was friendly and responsive to any and all questions I had during the entire process. I never felt brushed off and I felt like my questions were answered timely and fully
Stephanie was fantastic to work with. She was responsive to calls and emails and worked to ensure that I had everything I needed. She worked with my insurance company on getting my medications timely and explained everything that I needed to do and what I could expect.
Dr. Payne was compassionate and friendly. He made sure we understood the process and all potential risks. During all interactions with him he had fantastic bedside manner. He walked us through the retrieval and transfers step-by-step and interacted with us prior to and after each procedure.
You won't always see Dr. Payne at each appointment but when you do see him you will be pleased with the interactions. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to because he won't hesitate to answer and won't make you feel like you're being rushed.
When doing IVF we planned for a fresh transfer if possible but knew that we may possibly have to freeze (due to PCOS). After the stimulation protocol I developed slight hyper-stimulation so Dr. Payne suggested freezing all embryos so that my body could be better prepared for the transfer. Medications included: Leuprolide Acetate, Lose Dose HCG, Cetrotide, Gonal-F, HCG, Progesterone injections, Medrol, estrogen
Less than $10,000 due to insurance coverage (this included out of pocket costs, deductible, and medications)
The doctor suggested eSET for our first transfer. When that failed he did suggest eSET for our 2nd transfer as well (in addition to an endometrial scratching) but did tell us we could transfer 2 if that's what we chose.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
This clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is great about doing contests and offering discounts. The staff is always nice and knowledgeable... The best thing is that when I have an appointment I pay my co pay and that covers whatever my doctor does that visit whether it is an ultrasound or bloodwork. There are no extra fees and I like that . The office is great about doing discounts too...I honestly haven't seen any weaknesses [with the nurses] .They are kind , understanding , they always return my calls and stay on the phone with me until I understand fully.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is great about doing contests and offering discounts. The staff is always nice and knowledgeable.
He always takes time with me to explain things well and help me weigh my options !
I honestly haven't seen any weaknesses .They are kind , understanding , they always return my calls and stay on the phone with me until I understand fully.
My doctor has been forthcoming with me about everything I am up against and has dotted every "I" and crossed every "t." So far I have had surgery under him, he has diagnosed me with several issues that allow him to know how to treat me, and he has explained very well my next steps that are leading me toward IVF.
He is a wonderful doctor!
Upon my first appointment in September of 2016, after having had a second miscarriage (and my regular OB didn't even check to make sure everything was cleared)...After just fifteen min of talking to me he knew something wasn't right and did a vaginal ultrasound that very day. He discovered something in my uterus and a hysteroscopy was performed in October to remove it. He also did blood work that very day to diagnose me with low ovarian function and Antiphospholipid syndrome which is a blood clotting disorder. Once I was cleared from my hysteroscopy...I started letrozol rounds in November . I did produce follicles ....But in January after two negative rounds he added injections of Ovedrel to my regimin. After experiencing a fee more negatives he had my husband's sample tested. After it was discovered my husband was fine- he is advising me to have a consultation on IVF due to suspicion that I may have low egg quality due to my miscarriage history and the fact that while the medicine produces multiple follicles -i have still be unable to get pregnant. I still owe all the diagnosis that I have received to him. My regular OB told me I was fine and that I would have to go through another miscarriage before they would even test me via bloodwork ! I am glad I know what I am up against now !!
I don't want to list costs ....But in my state infertility treatments (ivf, etc) are not covered by insurance. The best thing is that when I have an appointment I pay my co pay and that covers whatever my doctor does that visit whether it is an ultrasound or bloodwork. There are no extra fees and I like that . The office is great about doing discounts too

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
Dr. Payne genuinely cares for his patients however, like any medical professional it is their job and sometimes that is evident as they base everything on statistics and often only gives very "GRAY" answers as nothing is very black and white in relation to answers you receive.
Stephanie is amazing! Literally, she is heaven sent in the field of infertility medicine. She is very compassionate. You never feel rushed. She always answers your questions. She laughs with you and cries with you. She is such a blessing.
Dr. Payne is a great reproductive endocrinologist. Although I have not yet achieved the ultimate goal being pregnancy, he does genuinely care for his patients and want the best for us. I do wish I saw him more in the office as I go to a satellite campus and it is primarily ran by the nurses(which are amazing), but it's more trusting to see your physician more often. He is ultimately a good MD.
He moves fast! So if you can't comprehend as fast as he is relaying information to you, ask him to repeat things. Also, don't hesitate to ask for further details about things he may share in relation to statistics.
I did Femara and Clomid for several cycles that failed. I then did Clomid plus Gonal F for a couple cycles and ultimately had one failed IUI cycle. We then decided to move forward with IVF (as Dr Payne also suggested) and I was on the antagonist protocol where birth control was taken then Gonal F and low dose HCG and Cetrotide was added in. I had retrieval and transfer. However, it failed with transferring two perfect quality embryos.
The Femara and Clomid was not that expensive. However, the gonal F is very expensive around 1000 per cycle it is used for stims during TI and IUI. During IVF, the expenses end up being around 10-20K for a normal cycle. Other test like genetic testing, etc are additional cost of around 4-5K. Infertility is not cheap. It is definitely a financial burden for all families undergoing this treatment.
He strongly recommends eSET if you have good quality embryos and are less than 35. However, I went with my gut understanding the risk with potential multiples....and as mentioned previously, transferred two perfect embryos and i am &lt;35 and it did not result in a pregnancy.

IUI, 1 IVF
I love the doctors at PREG but I ADORED THE NURSES. They were beyond caring, helpful, and kind. They were so thorough and responsive. Whenever I had a question that I thought was silly, they made me feel comfortable asking, and validated me at every step on the way.... Dr. McCoy was not the physician who did the transfer but his take on single embryo transfer for our situation aligned with our wishes and I was glad we all agreed.
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had a really positive experience with PREG and would definitely recommend them to a friend. In fact, I have recommended them to some very dear friends who in turn also have a baby due to this group's intervention. They ended up not needing the same extent of treatment as we did but I believe they had a positive experience as well.
Dr. McCoy was very compassionate and took the time to make sure my husband and I understood what we were up against. He explained things thoroughly.
From the first consultation with Dr. McCoy, he listened and was very realistic. I remember him drawing diagrams to help us better understand what may be happening and what to expect. Due to my schedule and his in office schedule, I didn't see him as often as I saw the other doctors in the practice but I was always happy when it worked out that our schedules aligned. One of the best memories I have is after we had our daughter, I was able to bring her to meet him in the office. I wondered if we'd be just another brick in the wall, so to speak, but he was so genuinely happy to meet and hold my daughter. It was such a proud moment for me to be able to show him our hard work paid off.
Be vulnerable. He will be compassionate and help you with gentleness and discretion.
It's been a while so I don't remember exact dosages but I appreciated that he didn't automatically start us off with just timed intercourse. He acknowledged that we'd been trying for a while on Clomid which had been prescribed by my OBGYN. He first prescribed a different fertility drug (which I can't remember the name of now... I think it started with an F.) Both my husband and I underwent testing (I did a procedure to check for blockages in my tubes and my husband had his sperm examined) to make sure nothing was immediately clear as a problem. When we checked out as all good, he was very compassionate about our frustration on not knowing why we weren't getting pregnant. When the fertility drug didn't yield results he recommended we move on to IUI. He was very realistic about our chances and maximizing "bang for our bucks." I think we did 4 or 5 rounds of IUI before we moved on to IVF. We did fertility drugs (I can't remember the names) to increase my egg production. Lots of monitoring to make sure things were progressing properly. Egg retrieval yielded about 8-10 viable eggs, I think. We ended up only transferring 1 egg and that resulted in a to-term pregnancy. I also had the follow-up drugs of progesterone, starting with the injections. When those proved to be too painful for me to function, Dr. McCoy recommended Crinone which although much more expensive proved effective.
I don't remember exact numbers but it was probably something like $10,000.

2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
The only weakness of the clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is the lady who sits at the front. She is not very friendly. She usually does the checkout in the greenville office. Everyone else was nice and helpful. She seems to not enjoy her job very much...She [nurse] was genuine and explained everything to me thoroughly...I had a payment upfront and then the rest was due on transfer day.
2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness of the clinic is the lady who sits at the front. She is not very friendly. She usually does the checkout in the greenville office. Everyone else was nice and helpful. She seems to not enjoy her job very much.
Dr. Nichols seemed to genuinely care for my health and pregnancy.
She was genuine and explained everything to me thoroughly.
Dr. NIichols was very caring and compassionate. He was very straight forward with me about my endometriosis, age, and possibility of getting pregnant naturally. He advised me that IVF was best in my case and I should not waste time or money on another round of clomid or trying IUI. He believed they would not be successful. I had surgery under his care as well for my endometriosis. When I had an issue post-op I was able to call him at home and he met us at the hospital. He worked with me as far as time frame for the IVF so that I could utilize the maximum amount of insurance benefits before the end of the year. He was concerned for my health and told me not to push forward just because of my benefits if I was not feeling well. That my health and the possibility of overstimulation was more important. He is a great physician and I plan to go back someday for our second miracle baby. He helped us achieve our dream of having a child after trying for 8 years. He is amazing and we will forever be grateful!
Don't give up! Have faith in science, the physicians, and God. It will happen and it is so worth it!
I cant remember specifically any drugs except for Ovidrel. I was able to have a successful IVF cycle and my son is now 2.
Altogether I think it was about $14,000. I had a payment upfront and then the rest was due on transfer day.
I am glad that I was only able to have 1 embryo transferred. I don't know what I would have done with multiples. My insurance also had stipulations about the number tranferred.
Greenville

Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.... There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.... The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm....
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Alma is the front desk coordinator [at PREG] and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Alma is the front desk coordinator and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy. Make sure you make them one. The one weakness that we ever experienced, we made well-known to the clinic and they handled the situation. We were in the beginnijng stages and were discussing treatment options with one of the nurses and she said something along the lines Of, "you should take mijne for a day. You wouldn't want to be here and sure wouldn't want twins." I left in tears and my husband was furious because she was working in an office where literally EVERYBODY's point there was to get pregnant, and she made snide comments about her own child and how we wouldn't want one after that. We brought it to the attention of the staff and though she is no longer employed, that comment sticks with me.
I had previously seen another doctor at PREG as well as an RE in another location close by. With the first doctor at PREG (Dr. Nichols), I was slightly younger and my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) worked 12-hour shifts 7am-7pm so most of the time, he was unable to accompany me. Though he and I had been together for 4-5 years, I felt as though I wasn't taken seriously by Dr. Nichols. He would not discuss anythi mg with me without my partner present and constantly stated we would talk more when my partner was able to be there. I felt patronized. With the second doctor at a different facility, I met with him only once before he called me over the weekend to inform me, in his exact words, that I was "too fat to get pregnant naturally" and that if I were willing to go on the program he and his wife were on, he would consider IVF for me. Dr. Payne was different. I went back to PREG and stated I wanted to be seen by any doctor other than Nichols, and they obliged. Dr. Payne took the time to get to know my husband and I together and separate since we had to go for different thimgs throughout the procedure. He was also frank with us when we asked about our chances, how everything could go, what his plan was, etc. He was an open book and even though he told us realistically our chances, he remained optimistic that we would be pregnant successfully. When we saw our first heartbeat, there were two and he told us that though it was exciting, there was still a chance of an early miscarriage for one or both. We did end up losing one of the twins and he comforted us but took great care in making sure the one we did have was healthy and stable to the best of his ability.
The nurses were absolutely amazing. They knew us by name and we felt more like a family. They always included both me and my husband in everything that was discussed, they allowed us to be together if one of us was uncomfortable, they laughed with us... They were amazing during this time!
Dr. Payne was very upfront from the beginning of the experience. I am overweight and he let me know that, no, I didn't have to lose weight, but if I did, it would be healthier. I never felt pressured to lose weight or that he wouldn't perform the procedure. When he learned my husband was a large part of the problem, he did everything he could to make sure we understood his condition. He was born without his vas defrens, meaning that he had no pathway for the sperm to get out. There were multiple semen analyses done in order to make sure there were no unnecessary procedures done. He took extra care to explain what would happen with the procedure my husband had to remove the sperm because it was my husband's first surgery and he was nervous. He also had nurses come to the waiting room to inform me of how things were going. The only thing I was not 100% satisfied with was that, though we did have an absolutely amazing experience and would choose him every time, he always felt a bit rushed. Im not sure if that was just his peraonality, always going, or if the facility had multiple patients scheduled around a certain time, but he always seemed to give us all the information we needed and asked for in a quick manner. Now don't mistake that as he didn't stay if we needed him. If we had additional questions, he stayed and answered them. It didn't appear to bother him, he never seemed unhappy to have to stay longer with us, and he never sent someone else in to answer our questions. He was just constantly moving with purpose.
Come in with a list of questions and a pen. This is for any doctor you see at PREG but especially Payne. He answers your questions quickly and moves on to the next topic so if you have a list of questions when you go in, you can make sure those questions are answered (write what he says next to the question for easy reference!) And you can also wrote down other questions that arise while he is talking if you don't want to interrupt him and go back to those questions at the end. Basically just make sure anything you wanted to know, you have written down.
I don't remember specifics. I know I was on birth control for a few weeks to trick my body into having a period (they are extremely irregular-- I could have one every month or not have one for 2 years). Once I had my period, I began injections for egg retrieval and growth. I then took estrogen, estrace, and progesterone to keep the embryo happy in my uterus. Without specifics, I remember taking lupron, gonal-f, the estrogen and estrace, progesterone-in-oil, and some other pills throughout the cycle.
My insurance covered a good bit thankfully, but that isn't always the case. We paid out-Of-pocket for our medications (about 4500) as well as for each ultrasound (usually between 150-300). We also paid a portion of the actual cost which totaled about 7000 after insurance. We had financing to cover this.
We were warned that multiple embryo transfer could lead to a higher chance of multiples and were told that having a multiple pregnancy was more risky, but ultimately it was our decision and we went through with transferring two embryos.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
They [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group] are very patient centered which is one of their biggest strengths. They are very helpful and helped accommodate my crazy schedule. It did take a little bit to get my new patient appointment but never had any further issues getting an appointment when I needed it during my busy schedule. Their one weakness is that the doctors work in multiple offices and only work at the Columbia clinic certain days a week. This meant sometimes when I went to see the nurse he was not at that office to look at my results personally. He would either be called or another doctor would step in. However, I felt comfortable with the office and this was not a big issue but is a weakness.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very patient centered which is one of their biggest strengths. They are very helpful and helped accommodate my crazy schedule. It did take a little bit to get my new patient appointment but never had any further issues getting an appointment when I needed it during my busy schedule. Their one weakness is that the doctors work in multiple offices and only work at the Columbia clinic certain days a week. This meant sometimes when I went to see the nurse he was not at that office to look at my results personally. He would either be called or another doctor would step in. However, I felt comfortable with the office and this was not a big issue but is a weakness.
He sat down with me and truly listened. He helped answer any questions we had, even they crazy you should know this one with no judgement. He was great at answering question with enough medical detail for me as a nurse, but able to explain perfectly to my husband with no medical background. He hugged us, did not pressure us and supported us through the process and all the tears along the way.
They were there for me to answer every crazy question I had. They always told me to never worry about any question that they are there to help me. They were my support when my husband could not be there. They helped cheer me up after crying. They made you feel positive about moving forward without giving false hope. They were everything I could have hope for in a nurse.
I went to him because I had heard nothing but great reviews. I worked as a high risk obstetric nurse and my patients spoke the world of him. When my husband and I decided to see a fertility specialist I did not want to see anyone else. He was everything my patients told me about him and more. He was so caring but at the same time realistic. When he felt it was no longer a good option for our goal of becoming pregnant he would tell us. He would still give us the option to continue what we were doing or to move to the next step. I would never question if he was wanting us to change due to he could make more money. My heart knew he felt this was the best choices for us. He was was there a doctor,as well as, a support person. When I would leave crying after any further complications or bad news he was there to help me through what ever was going on at the time. When we decided it was time to step away from infertility treatments for a while he supported us and promised he would do anything to help us when we were ready to return. I would recommend him to anyone and have recommended him to many people since, who have all felt the same.
Be open to him and let him listen to your story.
He started out with femara. The first few cycle days then I would come for ultrasounds to measure the number of follicles and sizes. At that point he would instruct me to admister a trigger shot and would instruct us to have timed intercourse every other day based on when the shot was given. I would take a pregnancy test at the time of my period and call back with results. We repeated this several month due to I had responded well to the femara. Later we did the same thing but instead of time intercourse we did IUI which followed the same procedure.
I had insurance that had fertility coverage. I do not remember the exact costs with or without my insurance. It was very reasonable with my insurance.
We did not experience this due to we did not have IVF.

IVF, Donor Eggs
I was a patient of advance fertility before it became preg. I was scheduled to start a cycle that August and had a horrific experience at that time because I had no idea the clinic was changing. I was awaiting instructions and never received them so when I tried contacting all the phones were shut down and it was an emotional mess because I had no idea what was going on. I received a letter after all of that explaining the change over. It was honestly one of the most stressful times in my experience as a whole.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly wasn’t too involved with the clinic under the current name. I only had my final transfer done under the preg name. Before it was advanced fertility run by dr Whitman. Either way the clinic is wonderful from I did experience!
Great team of ladies!
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman is very kind. I was a lot to handle and she handled me well. I was a bit of a different situation and Dr. Whitman tried very hard to keep me positive and moving forward! She is very knowledgeable and informative. The only suggestion I’d have is to remember that your patients don’t do this stuff everyday even though you do. So trying to really break things down and simplify them for better understanding would be great.
Ask a lot of questions. Do not leave with not knowing what it is you need or want to know...dr Whitman is very good at what she does however if you don’t ask questions I think details that you may want to know get overlooked.
We did do it eggs but my husbands sperm. I had an exam and blood work. We did one transfer with no success then tried again with a miscarriage. At that point dr Whitman suggested the ERA biopsy which ultimately is what made the difference and I was able to get pregnant and carry full term. I wish the ERA biopsy could be done to begin with because then I may still have the option to try again with leftover embryos. By the time we were pregnant we had used everything we had.
I paid $22,500 upfront then paid for all of my medications and I cannot remember after that but want to say overall I spent upwards of about $50,000 with medications and testing
Columbia

I loved the intimacy of the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office)...The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.

12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
The nursing staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - Very personable staff. Office temperature is nice (not freezing). Never overlycrowded when I went at my appointment time. They always call and give results or further instructions when necessary. Weakness - I still can't think of a weakness.
Dr. Payne took the time to understand my personal situation. He knew how important egg retrieval was to me and he treated the situation with care. He took the time to research and understand the treatment I was about to undergo for breast cancer treatment. He even called to check and see how things were going. I couldn't ask for more.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Thomason)
The nursing staff was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about cancer and how his treatments may have affected me. He was cautious about the amount of treatment (injections) he was giving me. I could see that he was very concerned. Even when I had to see another doctor once because he was out of the office, he made sure that I would be comfortable with the doctor and he checked to see how things went when he returned. I'm praying Dr. Payne will still be available when I move forward with having a baby. I can't think of one weakness to share about Dr. Payne. Just an overall great doctor!
Be prepared to be pampered and have a doctor that actually listens and addresses your concerns.
I don't remember all of the strategies, but I can say that he made sure the treatments were of minimal affect on the breast cancer situation. He made sure he did not give me anything that would have made things much worse. He even contacted my doctor to make sure his treatment strategies would be suitable.
Greenville

We had an excellent experience [at PREG-Columbia]. I do not recall anything that was a weakness. Plan to be available for the month you go. It’s very intense regimen, but if you want kids this may be your only hope. It was for us. They put you in a group July/August but really most of the intensive stuff is in August. They manipulate your cycle to start so that everyone is about at the same place.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We had an excellent experience. I do not recall anything that was a weakness. Plan to be available for the month you go. It’s very intense regimen, but if you want kids this may be your only hope. It was for us. They put you in a group July/August but really most of the intensive stuff is in August. They manipulate your cycle to start so that everyone is about at the same place.
Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, competent
Dr. Elia- Whitman was very personable. She was very knowledgeable about her field. Always was super supportive. Her staff was phenomenal. I always felt like I was in good hands and like they were the best opportunity I had to have kids around here. At our first visit they went over expectations, procedures, storage and options for fertility and cost after insurance. We ordered the medications and they were shipped directly to us. I did injections to hyperstimulate my ovaries. I was scheduled for ultra sounds throughout that next month, going in every two days. It was quite a regimen. When my eggs were ready, they retrieved them. We had no problems with this procedure. They got 17 eggs and fertilized them. After fertilization using ICSI we had 8 embryos. They took the two largest embryos and implanted them in my uterus. Dr. Elia-Whitman told me on the day they placed them that I shouldn’t be surprized by Twins. She was right. We got pregnant with the first round with twins, one boy and one girl. At 6 weeks we had an ultrasound of our twins and this was our last visit with them. We are very grateful to have these kids!! They are our miracle babies.
Follow the regimen. It’s definitely set up for you to be sucessful.
I objected myself daily for hyperstimulation of my ovaries. I was monitored really close by Dr. Elia-Whitman for the next month. Once she was happy with the progress a retrieval day was scheduled. They retrieved 17 eggs, 8 were fertilized, 2 implanted, and both became live births. My kids, twins, are now 3. We had a positive pregnancy test and a blood test to measure the hormone and then in a few days we did it again. At 6 weeks we had an ultra sound and that was our last visit.
It was about $6000. $1600 in meds and $4500 after insurance for everything, all appointments, egg retrieval, egg placement, blood work, and last ultrasound.

2011 - 2012
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed.... I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
2011 - 2012
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.

2005 - 2012
Everyone [PREG] treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.... The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department.... Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty.
2005 - 2012
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Group- Columbia] are friendly and engaging. They were helpful and sought answers effectively. The space itself was neat and comfortable. Also, the waiting room was quiet. However, bring your sweater.. it can be a littl chilly.... The nursing staff returned phone called within timely fashion and answered questions to the best of their ability. During the exams they were friendly and engaging.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff are friendly and engaging. They were helpful and sought answers effectively. The space itself was neat and comfortable. Also, the waiting room was quiet. However, bring your sweater.. it can be a littl chilly.
Dr. M was honest and upfront. He did not make promises about our ability to become or maintain a pregnancy. However, he did improve my overall quality of life by addressing the health of my uterus. He answered all my questions and did not make me feel like I was bothering him.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was very caring and made sure all my questions were answered. When I had a setback he was responsive and did not dismiss as if I did not know my body. The pain I had prior to surgery has decreased due to surgery and pelvic floor therapy.
Go with your questions ready. Dr. McCoy did not make me feel rush and he listened to my symptoms. He explained that the pain I was having was not normal and should not have been ignored
Dr. MCCoy’s focus was to make sure my uterus was healthy and ready to become pregnant if that was Gods plan. He removed endometriosis and fibroids that were causing me extreme pain and the focus was to improve my quality of life.
The cost was reasonable.

Anovulation, Other
The overall feel of this clinic [PREG] is friendly. ... The reception staff are excellent and learn your name after the first few visits. All of the nurses, administrative staff, lab staff, and financial counselors have been nothing but cheery and helpful. The only thing I would critique about the clinic is the need for written instructions to take home post-visit with medication doses and duration, most common side effects, next visit date, etc.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The overall feel of this clinic is friendly. The waiting room is very well decorated and doesn't feel as much like a doctor's waiting room as some other clinics. The reception staff are excellent and learn your name after the first few visits. All of the nurses, administrative staff, lab staff, and financial counselors have been nothing but cheery and helpful. The only thing I would critique about the clinic is the need for written instructions to take home post-visit with medication doses and duration, most common side effects, next visit date, etc.
Dr. Payne listens to your concerns and works with you the best way possible to cover everything
All of the nursing staff are very friendly and helpful
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable, compassionate, and thorough. He changes the course of treatment if there is ever a problem for any reason and always tries to choose the most cost effective method that will get results. There were some times I left the clinic, however, not 100% sure of the next step in the process.
Take good notes about treatment and double check with him or the nurse before you leave
I was tried on letrozole, clomid, and low-dose gonal-f for ovulation induction. Unfortunately, none of these worked and I will have to move on to IVF, but Dr. Payne has been the first doctor ever (I have consulted several doctors) to go into as much depth to try to resolve this.
sperm analysis - $130 vaginal ultrasound - $180 consultation - $80 hsg - $600
Greenville

PREG has several offices in NC and SC and most procedures are done in the office. The staff is great to work with and very friendly and caring. They also get you into appointments as needed and work around your schedule as must as they can.... My husband was prescribed HCG and every 3 days and clomid, 25 mg, due to having no sperm from being on testosterone for several years. I was prescribed Letrozole when my cycles were being monitored. We found that my husbands sperm count soared after being washed so we opted for IUI treatment after the first IUI.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols was very up front about the tests and procedures and also explained some of the possibilities as to why things were happening. He also explained very thorough anything that was going to be done.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla and Deborah)
All of the staff at PREG are super nice and great to work with. They are sweet and compassionate people. They feel like family when we are there.
Dr. Nichols is very knowledgeable and has loads of experience. He is very up front and could possibly be too blunt for some individuals, but I would rather a doctor be honest and not sugar coat anything.
Be up front and honest with him and take any advice that he gives you. He is a great doctor.
The costs were pretty reasonable. My insurance was filed for me and if IVF was needed they helped with financing.
We have not discussed embryo transfer yet, but will in the future if this IUI is not successful.
Greenville

The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there [at Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group-Asheville]. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant... The nursing staff has been wonderful. They are very nice Everytime I call to ask a simple question. When we are at the clinic they are always right there willing to help or answer any questions we may have. They are always smiling and happy to see their patients.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant.
Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable.
Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He explains everything in detail gives us our options and also his honest opinion which helps with decision making. Any questions we have he is more than happy to answer. He goes over next steps very clearly so we know what to expect.
To make sure you make a list of all the questions you have and feel free to ask him anything. He is very knowledgeable and explains things very well.