Genetic counseling: Offered
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?

View fewer doctors
Didn't hear back from one of the doctors [at PREG] for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses: Way too cold in the clinic (especially when you're having to get undressed for procedures), have had to wait over an hour for a consultation and an IUI, unfriendly secretary when I expressed my concern about wait time (but the other two were friendly!), short window of time to get blood-work done when they were training a new staff member, Didn't hear back from one of the doctors for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options.
The two main nurses I've worked with were helpful and compassionate. One was more calm and seemed more caring than the other (but, it was probably a personality preference). Unfortunately, at our first IUI they were short staffed and someone who was filling in at the lab copied my husbands name wrong and wrote the wrong name on his sperm sample. It made for a pretty stressful and upsetting procedure, especially since it was our first time doing an IUI. The next two IUI's went really well and the calmer nurse did them. Overall, I think the nursing staff is sensitive and compassionate and do a great job.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me. For our consultation appointment to go over next steps, after 3 cycles with meds and timed intercourse and 2 IUI's, he was prepared with all of my previous treatment history and had already printed out information and stats IVF and how it would work for me. He was sensitive and supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions.

IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
She [Dr. Gail Whitman-Elia at PREG- Columbia] did talk to us about the pros and cons. She understood that we had our hearts set on trying for twins. Being that we are a homosexual male couple, we were trying to create a pregnancy that had us both involved... I honestly see no weaknesses in them. They are 100% friendly and personable. For example, I walked into the clinic for the first time in 18 months and the front desk staff geeted me by name and asked how my babies were doing.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are well organized and personable. They are extremely knowledgeable and up-to-date with all current forms of treatments available. Please listen to them as they know what they do and are great at what they do. Follow their instruction and you will be successful!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman-Elia seemed to know us and our situation on a personal level no matter how much time had passed between visits. She and her staff mastered the art of telling us the realities of our situation, while also making us feel safe and secure.
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman-Elia was knowledgeable and had a great bedside manner. Even when we were confused about what was happening during a visit, she would take the time to explain why certain things were happening. For example, our surrogate and I are very good friends. The first thing that happened at most visits is that they would place us in separate rooms. This bothered us, however Dr. Whitman-Elia explained that gave her a chance to assess the situation while upholding patient confidentiality. While we may not have liked it at first, she was taking precautions to keep us all safe.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Listen to her and do what she says!
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I do not remember the exact protocol used. I can tell you she used treatments of estrogen orally and injection. It was a 60 day treatment course prior to embryo transfer. She used donor eggs and both mine and my husband's sperm to create embryos. She then implanted one embryo fertilized by my husband and one embryo fertilized by me. Both embryos attached and we now have twins girls. They were born 9 weeks premature due to the fact that they were big babies and had no more room to grow in our surrogate's uterus.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Ballpark of 4 to 5 thousand dollars was paid to the clinic.
Describe Gail Whitman-Elia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
She did talk to us about the pros and cons. She understood that we had our hearts set on trying for twins. Being that we are a homosexual male couple, we were trying to create a pregnancy that had us both involved.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Love this clinic! Organized, professional, clean, efficient. At PREG you are ALWAYS treated like a person and NEVER like a number. Everyone from the sweet lab tech, Ms Jenny, (I hate having blood drawn and she comforts me) to the nursing staff to the doctors are nothing short of amazing. If you live in the midlands area, I would 10/10 recommend PREG. Trust me-I’ve been to other clinics and this far surpasses that!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr T takes time to understand the needs of his patient. He came to me highly recommended by a good friend, as she felt the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vining)
Ashley is an angel. Seriously if I could give her the world I would! She takes so much time to personally make sure I am comfortable and communicated with. I have high anxiety and she has helped me tremendously with that through this IVF process.
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr T is AMAZING. I suffered a previous miscarriage, and am a very “needy” and anxious patient. He takes time to explain everything in detail, and takes time to answer any questions and concerns you may have. He doesn’t sugar coat things and is very straight forward which I like, but has a very warm bedside manor. He is very very intelligent and I completely trust his opinion in my treatment. I am currently pregnant from my first round of IVF. He is monitoring me very closely, and I feel as though I have the best doctor in Columbia. I went to another clinic in lexington that also had a location in Charleston. You have to rotate doctors there, or travel to see the same one. At PREG, I only see Dr T as he is always in Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Trust him!!! He knows what he is talking about!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I opted to do IVF with genetic testing. I am not sure of the cost, but the genetic testing was worth the extra money to me due to my previous miscarriage.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Single embryo transfer.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

2017 - 2019
Some of them [nurses at PREG] were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They seem to run their schedule well. Most appointments were on time and lasted as expected. Weaknesses may be that a lot of the staff seemed annoyed or exhausted to be there which was challenging to deal with when I’m already facing depression about my infertility.
For example, the day of egg retrieval it seemed as though they were herding a large number of women through the process like animals. There were probably 4-5 women in the same room at any time and they were herded in and out of the operating area. It felt very rushed and impersonal. I would have liked to have had more time to talk with the various people around about what was happening.
Some of them were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols (when he was around) explained things very clearly and plainly throughout the TIC, IUI, and IVF process. Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further. Or perhaps because I don’t have money he knew I couldn’t pay for more experimentation. He was wishy-washy about recommending a second try which is why I haven’t pursued anything else yet. I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He speaks plainly.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes which resulted in “everything looks fine and now you owe 4K that your insurance doesn’t cover too bad we couldn’t tell you that ahead of time”.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Drugs for TIC were fairly inexpensive due to insurance. IUI procedures were about 500 each, out of pocket. IVF including drugs was about 27,000 out of pocket. Got some refunded due to failure. Laparoscopic procedure was over 30,000 with most covered by insurance but about 4000 out of pocket.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My doctor did not believe it was safe to transfer more than one embryo at a time and I believe he will not perform those procedures.
Asheville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Kristina, Megan and Jackie [nurses at PREG] are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them...Too long to change meds when My wife had a drug intolerance... $500 IUI...$190 for intrauterine scan...$105 progesterone bloodwork...$600 HSG...The clinic itself is good. Front desk staff has been fine. Sometimes they don’t answer the phones until thirty min after they’ve opened. That’s the only drawback I’ve noticed. And you have to pay attention to what office picks up the phone because if the one you originally called doesn’t answer, then you can be routed to another.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I don’t feel Dr Payne has been prepared when speaking with my wife and I. The meetings seem rushed and he doesn’t always seem to know our history (like he didn’t read the chart before talking to us). We mostly work with his nurse, but when we talk to Dr Payne it feels like we can be just a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina )
Kristina, Megan and Jackie are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The meetings with Dr Payne were lack luster. This is such an important time in our lives and he always seemed like he was rushing us. His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Make sure he’s paying attention to your history.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Femara, gonal f, prednisone, ultrasounds, hsg, baseline scans, progesterone bloodwork, semen analysis
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have no insurance coverage for infertility. $500 IUI $190 for intrauterine scan $105 progesterone bloodwork $600 HSG
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Greenville

There were LOTS of problems with Dr. Nichols and his practice (PREG). We had issues with the following: billing (unclear and they even had a hard time explaining to us- - they seemed as confused as we were), insurance claims (would not communicate with our insurance company in a rapid manner - - took MONTHS to resolve an issues from nearly 6 months ago), nurses would sometimes call, but often NOT cal to inform us of what we needed to do when, hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations, I have an allergy to latex and nearly 80% of the time I would have to remind the staff of this before they went to do a check-up, procedure, etc. Overall, we (my husband and I ) felt the staff was only worried about the $ and not about the humans involved. I would NEVER recommend this practice to ANYONE! We were VERY dissatisfied and when letting them know this, they didn't seem to care - - no apologies or anything. Just "hate to hear that". FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE - - DO NOT USE PREG IN GREENVILLE, ASHEVILLE, SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ETC.!!!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall, it just wasn't the clinic for us. Again, I think if we had to do it all over again, we should have stopped before we began with them and gone somewhere else. Even when we quit treatment, we had to battle with them for MONTHS afterward due to billing issues.
I didn't feel warm or welcome from the start. Neither did my husband. We should have stopped there, but we continued on because we didn't think there was anyone else in the area to choose from (we used his office in Asheville, NC). Dr. Nichols did not ever follow up with us or make us feel valued. Again, we should have stopped before we started with him and his practice.
There was one nurse that was AWESOME, but I don't remember her name. She was the ONLY one that would call me back, seemed to GENUINELY care, and ALWAYS remembered my allergy to latex. The rest were VERY unimpressive.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Go somewhere else - - anywhere else. Do not use John Nichols!
Because my husband I were both "normal" in ALL aspects, we started first with using Letrozole and then the timed Trigger shot. We did this three times with negative results. During this time, they found a polyp and removed that from my uterus. Then, we moved into IUI's, which we tried twice. I was having REALLY negative side effects from the drugs, and we weren't happy with PREG so we quit treatment until we could find another practice.

2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process...staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process...not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to...Emilie [nurse] is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive.
2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG Columbia atmosphere is very inviting and comfortable. We were able to get appointments and/or procedures scheduled with no hassle. I was always able to be open and honest with the staff about my feelings on any occasion I had an appointment. The rooms were always ready and clean when I arrived. My only weaknesses would be Dr McCoy wasn't always at this location.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Please he listened to my concerns and always knew me and my husband by name. He always had a bright smile on his face when we saw him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie, was a very caring and understanding to say the least. Emilie is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive. Her communication skills were solid, her compassion was over the top and her empathy was indescribable. There was never a time that I had a question Emilie wouldn't hesitate to give me the answer or ask my doctor and get back with me.
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process. I never thought I would experience infertility given that I previously had children with no medical issues or complications. Dr. McCoy and his staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process. My first appointment with him I explained some of the symptoms I was having, to ensure it was not another medical issue he performed an ultrasound, this was confirmation it was not what we previously thought. This was a small step in the right direction, this also showed me that he listened to me and truly cared about me as an individual and not just another person. Dr. McCoy explained every procedure in detail and ensured that I understood what direction we were going in all of this, this gave me the confidence to trust in his abilities. Dr. McCoy never made me feel like the possibility of getting pregnant and carrying a child was out of the window. Even when we experienced three failed IUIs and two failed FETs, he reassured me that my journey wasn't over. This is just a storm on the way to my rainbow. I really felt like he cared about my pain, anxiety, frustration, and heartbreak. I also would like to mention his staff, not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to. I would highly recommend Dr. McCoy and his staff to anyone who asked.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Be open and honest with how you are feeling, what you expect and be open to change.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr McCoy agreed to allowing us to do multiples because of my age. Never did he pressure us into doing anything that we were against.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
I only had one issue [at PREG] and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.... The costs are high and continues to increase. You do receive discounts which helps out a lot....The doctor gave me the option on how many embryo's to transfer within reason of course.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic will receive 95% from me. I only had one issue and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.
I felt like human because the office cared about helping me have a baby. Some doctors do not understand what their patients go through but Dr Payne did even though he is male. He was very passionate about helping me have a baby. He would listen and give good medical advice. His staff was great. They was always available when I needed them. They keep the lines of communication open. You kind of feel like family with them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff, RN)
Stephanie B., is one word AWESOME. She was the best. She is a very special person.
My experience with Dr Payne was awesome. He was great. He never gave up on me wanting to have a baby. When the IVF's failed he was there with a positive attitude and great advice. It was an emotional time for me but listening to him and understanding that he was going help me have a baby. He would apologize when the IVF's failed but he said we will not give up. He would tell me what he thought happened but will always say that is in his opinion. That was great to hear because as a woman you think you failed somehow. He was so great he makes you want to have dozen of children.
He will be there until the end. Have hope because he does.
I used a lot of medicine. Medicine by mouth, injections, patches and vaginal inserts. I will use medicine daily until I got pregnant. Once I got a positive pregnant test I would use the medicine until I was 12 weeks because I was considered high risk.
Spartanburg

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

I have nothing but good things to say about this clinic [PREG]. They are always so kind and nice. They are so flexible with the schedule and accomodating to my work schedule. Donna and Kim are always so friendly at the front desk and Missy the office manager has been helpful with insurance and payments. Sally in the lab, well she's just always fun and has a smile and so does the woman who does the lady who draws blood.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have nothing but good things to say about this clinic. They are always so kind and nice. They are so flexible with the schedule and accomodating to my work schedule. Donna and Kim are always so friendly at the front desk and Missy the office manager has been helpful with insurance and payments. Sally in the lab, well she's just always fun and has a smile and so does the woman who does the lady who draws blood. Everyone really is great. I honestly can't think of any weaknesses of this clinic other than the fact that they haven't discovered a way to make sure that every person gets pregnant on the very first try-that would be a cool trick. But considering how hard it is to do this whole thing for all these months, I"m glad it's at this clinic.
Dr Payne was nice enough. He wasn't rude by any means. I think the only thing I noticed is that even though I told him we didn't really want IVF, he insisted on explaining it anyway...it kind of felt a little "sales pitchy" That being said, I really did only see him once and I was super nervous. Everyone in his office is so nice and I am quite sure he is nice too. He has managed my meds also and has made good decisions with that. Dr Nichols did one of my tests in Greenville and he was super nice also.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mary Elizabeth Wesley )
Mary Elizabeth was incredible. She has been with us for every IUI and always made us feel comfortable. No concern or question was too silly. We always laughed and made things as light as possible. I can't imagine doing any of this without Mary Elizabeth. Even when things don't turn out the way we hoped, she has a way of validating it all and helping us feel for hopeful.
I think I've already covered this for the most part. I really haven't had much experience with Dr. Payne. I'm sure he is doing plenty behind the curtain :) Okay, it wants to keep going....It's been a while but I remember Dr Payne being nice and listening to what my partner and I wanted. He was calm which made me feel relaxed and the only thing i didn't like was the insistence on talking about IVF but like I said, I was probably nervous and only wanted to focus on IUI.
To trust his judgement. He has advised me on medicine and that has been helpful. I also someone assume he may have to do with hiring nurses and every member of his office is incredible. So he must have good judgement. The front desk staff (donna and kim) are so nice. All the nurses, Sally in the lab, the lady who draws blood, the office manager! Everyone is just great there! :)
Dr Payne didn't see any issues with my fertility so he proceeded with IUI and offered medication. I did like that he allowed us to make our own choices on that and wasn't pushy at all. One time, my medicine didn't respond very well and he upped my medicine and I had a great response. When I had polyps he quickly had me scheduled for surgery to have them removed. Now that I write all this down, I feel a little bad for mentioning all the "sales pitchy" stuff. I think I was just nervous. Laying it all out there, It seems Dr. Payne has been very thorough with my care.
It was about $5000 to get us started and $2100 each time we try. but that includes 1000 for sperm. There was a 1600 surgery to remove polyps.
I do not.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Very quick to get you in. Very flexible with my schedule. They did forget to send over my medication once but remedied quickly, most of the staff [PREG] have struggled with infertility themselves, the nurses did my IUI and US except for baseline... All the nurses have been excellent. They are so supportive and encouraging. Kristina gave me her personal phone number to call for any questions or concerns
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very quick to get you in. Very flexible with my schedule. They did forget to send over my medication once but remedied quickly, most of the staff have struggled with infertility themselves, the nurses did my IUI and US except for baseline
Dr. Payne really took the time to sit down and explain our options while also giving his best recommendation of where to start. I always find it reassuring when everything is laid out but also sit and discuss the best plan for us. I felt like we got an individualized plan for us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I felt he was very thorough in going through our paperwork from my GYN. He was very direct and open about our options and his recommendations. These visits can be overwhelming and he did a good job of keeping us at ease.
It’s okay to be overwhelmed. Write down questions because there were so many things after that I forgot or didn’t think to ask
I have been doing 2 cycles for IUI. First I did 5 days at 7.5 mg femara but didn’t have response so I did 5 more days “stair step” with 1 follicle resulting. Triggered with ovidrel and IUI next morning. Negative result. 2nd IUI: increased 7.5 femara for 7 days with good results. 2 follicles. Triggered and IUI next morning. Negative result. 3rd IUI: 7.5 for 7 days again. In the process If negative, will move onto IVF
Unfortnately our insurance doesn’t cover any form of infertility treatment. Our initial visit was $200, our baseline US $290, each follicle scam $190, each IUI $500, ovidrel $107 per shot, and $40 ish for bloodwork

2017 - 2019
On our first visit [at PREG] we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. ... The nurse that performed my ultrasound was very kind and made me feel entirely comfortable. She described everything she would be doing and really put me at ease.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
On our first visit we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. There has also been a lot of problems getting a person on the phone when I call, or getting a call back. We have had a good experience with the financial team, but again have had challenges with call backs after leaving messages.
Dr. Payne is kind and takes time to answer questions about the ivf process. Unfortunately I have had problems receiving calls back from his office when I have questions about finances or the procedure.
We first met dr. Payne over a year ago and absolutely felt like ‘just a number’ in his practice. He seemed overly sure of himself and that he wasn’t interested in our particular situation. PREG being the only close by clinic we decided to give it another shot and have had an entirely different experience with him. He seems more caring and has slowed down to explain everything I have a question about. Overall his demeanor and knowledge makes us feel confident that we are making the right decision in working with him.
Don’t expect him to be warm and cuddly, but he seems to know what he is talking about.
We are getting ready to start our first round of ivf with icsi. We have male factor infertility results from cancer treatment. So far I have undergone testing to determine eligibility for Univfy, and been started on birth control to prepare for stims.
18,500 for one round of ivf including unlimited embryo transfers from that round and their fee for embryo biopsy.
Our doctor has told us we will start with single embryo transfer.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Very welcoming clinic [PREG] . It is spread out and a lot of privacy. Also, they call you back quickly. ... They had a coupon for the consultation. ... They even follow up via text which is important for working and busy expecting parents. Sometime when you call they are busy, but I really like the fact that even though I’m calling the Asheville office someone no matter if it is the Greenville office will answer.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very welcoming clinic. It is spread out and a lot of privacy. Also, they call you back quickly. They even follow up via text which is important for working and busy expecting parents. Sometime when you call they are busy, but I really like the fact that even though I’m calling the Asheville office someone no matter if it is the Greenville office will answer.
He Listened with the intent to understand what I’ve been through. Also, to gather factors in my life that may be causing the unexplained infertility.
Keep in touch with me while I was taking my break. When I prayed and asked God when was the right time, I received an email for the staff asking me was there anything they could do to help me. I immediately told them, I was just about to reach out to you to restart my process. I know it’s my time to try again with my husband.
He explained what all my options were. Also was candid about my age and the risks of using my own eggs. He didn’t say no to any of the options, but i appreciates how he highlighted the risks. We all love to hear the good, but knowing the risks allow us to make more rational decisions especially dealing with fertility.
Be open to all of his advice. Ask all your questions up front don’t be afraid, he will be honest with you. I took a break to get my mind right and alleviate stress as much as possible.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I had a consult- took a break and I’m back on track now with my first appointment in the coming days. My mind is ready and happy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They had a coupon for the consultation. Checking their website is awesome. Sometimes they offer discounts. That was helpful considering we jus moved from overseas and were caring for my parents. Some of it will be covered by my insurance, which helps a lot. He is in network.

2017 - 2019
I don’t know if this is a coincidence, but a couple of times that I uave called the office [PREG] nobody picks up the phone. It takes a few tries. ... My wofe had some bloodwork done last week. We were told that we would receive a call within 5 days and that hasn’t happened. We were advised to give the office a call if we didn’t hear from them so it sounds like it might be something that happens regularly. But it doesn’t look professional. It might he something the office staff needs to work on.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This is our first time being cared for by a fertility clinic so we weren’t sure what to expuand we’re just starting IVF so I could probably give more input once we’re done. But until now we have no complaints. We’ve been pleased with your services and we’re happily putting all our money and trust on your facility.
Docotr McCoy tries to explain everything while taking into account your specific problems instead of giving a prepared speech, that makes it easier to understand, it also inspires trust.
I don’t know if this is a coincidence, but a couple of times that I uave called the office nobody picks up the phone. It takes a few tries.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I think Dr.McCoy does the best he can considering he gives devastating news to his patients. There is no easy way to tell someone that they have problems conceiving or that they can’t conceive at all. There is no way to sugar coat something like that. I feel like when he told my wife and I he wasn’t blunt or cold, he did the best he could to make sure we understood everything that was going on with us and what options we had. We’re thankful for having him as our doctor and would absolutely recommend him to anyone.
Fertility issues are more common than most people think. It’s just not talked about enough. Go see Dr.McCoy with an open mind and trust his work. He’s there to help.
We are doing IVF. He explained how my wife will have to first be on birth control for a few weeks to control her menstrual cycle so the doctors know when to retrieve the eggs but not before going a few weeks of getting hormone shots. One of the stategies he explained was that the embrios would be frozen for a month before doing the transfer to give my wife’s body time to get clean it’s self and get rid of some of those extra hormones and in exchange that would increase the chances of success, we were very pleased to hear that. Once the transfer is done he explained that it would take around 11 days to be able to tell if she is pregnant or not. He explained the whole process in detail, alot better than I can right now.
We haven’t paid yet
My wife and I at first thought we would ne doing a multitude embryo transfer. Dr.McCoy explained that he would rather do a single embryo transfer because there is a probability of conceiving twins and because my wife has never been pregnant before it would be safer to reduce the risk of having twins because we don’t not know how her body will react to the pregnancy. He explained that having twins could have a risk of complications during the pregnancy. Considering that, it made sense for us to agree with his logic even though we wouldn’t of mind having twins.

PCOS, Unexplained
Most of the nurses [at PREG-Greenville] that I've spoken with or have been seen by have been excellent and very caring. Meagan Vanzant and Kristina Housworth are excellent nurses who are very caring and optimistic. They are great with patients and let them know the information from the scans. They have a wonderful "bedside manner". I have had one nurse, Lauren Smythe, who was not as helpful. She didn't share my information about the lining or follicle size. She questioned my knowledge as to how we normally did things and didn't believe me until she looked at my chart.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They will do their best to encourage you to be hopeful. They want the procedures to succeed and your dreams of starting a family to come true. We have a hour and a half drive to get to the Greenville PREG location, but it is worth it because of the care and compassion that we receive.
Dr. Payne takes the time to explain the options and procedures to his patients. He is realistic and hopeful. Even when we went through a chemical pregnancy, he was optimistic and supportive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Meagan Vanzant and Kristina Housworth are who I've seen most often.)
Most of the nurses that I've spoken with or have been seen by have been excellent and very caring. Meagan Vanzant and Kristina Housworth are excellent nurses who are very caring and optimistic. They are great with patients and let them know the information from the scans. They have a wonderful "bedside manner". I have had one nurse, Lauren Smythe, who was not as helpful. She didn't share my information about the lining or follicle size. She questioned my knowledge as to how we normally did things and didn't believe me until she looked at my chart. I get that nurses can't always rely on what the patients say, but we had been going there for over a year by this point. I was very familiar with the normal routine of the scan and about when the trigger shot would be. I felt more like a number to Lauren than a person. Meghan Parris who assisted on two of the three IUIs was also extremely kind to us and treated us like humans. From the office staff to the lab and nursing staff, most of the workers make you feel better about these crazy processes that we have to go through.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne explains the risks, next steps and is optimistic in a field that is sometimes hard for the patient to be optimistic. He shows compassion and builds real relationships with those who trust him for their care. I hate that we have to go through this infertility journey, but I am glad that we have the knowledge and skills of Dr. Payne and his colleagues.
Dr. Payne will do everything that he can to help you. He will try a "plan" three times before adjusting it to try something else.
We started out using letrozole 5mg for days 3-9 of the cycle with a scan on day 12 to check follicle size. The size of the follicles determined when we would do the trigger shot of ovidrel for timed intercourse. We tried this for two months before increasing my dose of letrozole to 7.5 mg. This resulted in a positive test that led to a chemical pregnancy with a few months. We had to wait for 2-3 months for my body to return to normal before we started the 7.5 mg of letrozole days 3-9, scan on day 12 and trigger of ovidrel. During the summer of 2018, we had to add the injections of gonal-f for days 8-11. I had follicles dissolve in May 2018, so the extra medicine was added for additional stimulation. We continued this course through the fall with timed intercourse. We attempted IUIs with that same medicines (letrozole 7.5 mg CD 3-9, gonal-f CD 8-11, scan on around CD 12 to determine trigger of ovidrel). We are currently taking a month off seeing how our next step would be IVF with frozen embryo transfer and that is much, much more expensive even with insurance.
We have insurance that helps cover some of the cost.
Not applicable at this time.

PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out.... She [nurse] is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out. Wonderful!!
Dr. Payne and his staff are considerably down to earth. He and his team do a wonderful job at connecting with me. Even though I know they see a lot of patients, I am made to feel like the only patient in their eyes. I feel like he cares along with his staff. I’m this moment in life times can feel a bit lonely but the staff and Dr. Payne reassure me that I’m not on this journey alone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
She is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
Dr. Payne is a very forward doctor. I respect that about him because I would rather know up front what is the issue and solution to the problem at hand. The first consultation I had with him he was very nice and reassuring about everything I would’ve gone through and will go through. He was very open about the possibilities of every side effect, or possible pregnancy complications that could happen. Not that they would but it was better for him to explain it than to never explain it at all. I told him that I wanted to go full blast with meds and we did just that. At that time my father was dying of Lung Cancer and I was desperate to have a child so that he could get to meet him. Unfortunately, during my time trying to conceive my father passed away. It took such a major toll on me. I was actually planning to do IVF that next cycle but pushed it back. Later my sister in law passed away from Stomach Cancer and I have just been devastated. So much going on and with everyone in my ear telling me something good is going to come out of it, then have the one thing I want more than anything continually not happen is the worst feeling. I have cried with Dr. Payne and his nurses just because I felt that close with them. He is a listener, care giving doctor , and understanding doctor. When other people have told me to get another doctor, I tell them no! My doctor knows what he’s doing!! He has kept by my side throughout this journey and is more than excited to get me pregnant! To have him not give up on me makes me not give up on myself and that’s what truly matters the most. That is what makes him my favorite doctor. To know that I have a reliable doctor that I can depend on is the greatest feeling. After all, he will be part of the reason I one day, hopefully soon, have my miracle of joy.
Trust him, he knows what he’s doing.
Dr. Payne suggestions were Femora with progesterone and if that didn’t work “naturally”, we would do that with IUI. If that didn’t work, IVF. He allowed me to try that to help out in financial cost but to see if it could jut happen! Doing the biggest procedure was a last result. I didn’t get pregnant with anything but I am hoping to achieve pregnancy with the help of this loan via IVF.
I appreciate the fact that he wants to consistently protect his patients and keep their best interest in mind. I accept the fact that he prefers eSET.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group- Columbia's] Strengths- kind, sympathize with you, they even know us by first names. Very helpful with all my questions and Holly, she is the strongest person there! She is so friendly and no matter what crazy question I have about future costs, she is helpful and so sweet about it. no weaknesses... In the beginning, I called so much and they never seemed bothered. Always kind and pleasant.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My husband saw doctor McCoy first and I went with him. Even though my husband was his patient first he really made me feel welcome. Started my testing right away. Still, as we've moved through the process, Dr. McCoy answers all of our questions in a manner that is on the same level and not above us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy is very honest and told us, we have options you may not like them or agree but we have them. I liked his approach because my past doctors told me to remove my ovaries and that was all the could do. Dr. McCoy was able to provide me with another alternative. We will continue to work with him and PREG in the future.
See him with an open mind, listen, and ask questions. Going through IVF is hard from start to finish, and it doesn't get any easier. Dr.McCoy has the same goal in mind but sometimes the plans aren't the same, but he is the expert.
Right now, my husband is on Clomid since 2017. I had endometriosis removal surgery Oct. 2017. After the surgery Dr. McCoy found that our chances were better with donor embryos. We don't have insurance or the funds to afford regular IVF.
IVF treatments are expensive and we have not be able to figure out how we will be able to afford it. We don't have the best insurance coverage, but my husband has diagnostic coverage, I have nothing. I've paid out of pockets so far $4,000 after my surgery.
Columbia

The clinic [PREG] has all very good strengths in every area. Every visit I had was so welcoming and comfortable in every way. To me, I saw no weaknesses. Seems like a very strong ran office! All the doctors I met and nursing staff are all well educated and have a ton of compassion for every visit they saw me. I even loved my nurse who would take my blood in some visits.... They showed me so much love and encouragement!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has all very good strengths in every area. Every visit I had was so welcoming and comfortable in every way. To me, I saw no weaknesses. Seems like a very strong ran office! All the doctors I met and nursing staff are all well educated and have a ton of compassion for every visit they saw me. I even loved my nurse who would take my blood in some visits.
He was very direct with me on becoming as healthy as possible to prepare a baby in the womb. He was very strick with quitting smoking and months later I dropped smoking! He’s very encouraging.
So wonderful! I absolutely loved my nurses! They showed me so much love and encouragement! They are what made me comfortable with every visit and everything that I had to do.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was always very honest and open about plans and risk. He was motivating and put thing in real terms. He seems very smart in what he is doing. Seemed genuine and caring but also blunt, for me that’s a good thing. He encouraged me to quit smoking and I have officially put it down! Great doctor that I would recommend!
He will give you all truths rather you want to hear it or not. Very honest.
Doctor had me use 7.5 (i think) of femara which was the perfect amount for me where my eggs would mature and I would ovulate. I took those for about 5 days starting on day 3 of my period. The first couple of months I would use a trigger shot to help with ovulation and it worked. I would also have an ultra sound around the time of ovulation to see how my eggs were maturing and they would give me the go on the trigger shot. I continued to ovulate every month but unfortunately with no pregnancy success!
I really hate that medical insurance does not cover any testing. The only thing insurance would pay for was some of the blood work.
Doctor suggested IVF May would be the next step we would have to do. He stated a single embryo would be the best choice because of my small size.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000
Asheville

I would advise bew patients to meet with Holly, the financial advisor asap [at PREG-Columbia]. She's incredibly thorough and managed to get everything I need to know for a surgery in hours so that I wouldn't have to worry about post op care interruptions due to insurance changes.... Most of my interactions with the nurses have been over the phone. They are all remarkably kind and very knowledgeable. I see them as very much an extension of the drs there.
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I would advise bew patients to meet with Holly, the financial advisor asap. She's incredibly thorough and managed to get everything I need to know for a surgery in hours so that I wouldn't have to worry about post op care interruptions due to insurance changes.
I think any doctor can cover the clinical matters, but Dr. T. made a point of inquiring about helping me through an anticipated move several hours away. I also felt like I wasn't automatically written off as AMA and he didn't take for granted that another dr. had already performed a surgery (unsuccessfully) a month and a half before. He really listened to my symptoms and made a new plan for me. He took me off of meds that might do more harm than good.
He was compassionate and caring, but also not afraid to consult with another physician to find the best path forward for me. I think I covered that in my previous answer and I really have no more to add. He was compassionate and caring, but also not afraid to consult with another physician to find the best path forward for me.
Come with your questions, even the ones that seem pretty silly or like something you think everyone else knows because he does a good job of explaining things on your level and adjusts very well to varying degrees of familiarity with certain topics.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
The strategy for me was an abdominal myomectomy after a failed hysterscopic myomectomy. He arrived at that treatment after a SHG and MRI showed at least 3 fibroids inside the uterine cavity. I have had 2 unmedicated cycles of lab work recently and previous records that indicate that I ovulate on my own. Having finally reached 12 weeks post-op, I can try to conceive naturally for 2-3 cycles before intervention.
Columbia

The clinic [PREG] was always there to help and answer questions. They always returned my calls if I had to leave a message. If one person was not there, another would pick up my messages and always call back over a concern. My prescriptions were always called in on time. I'm a worrier and they would always calm my fears....Debra was a very kind and compassionate nurse. She was comforting during the hard times (miscarriage, negative pregancy test). She wanted for us to keep her updated on the current pregnancy. She really cares.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was always there to help and answer questions. They always returned my calls if I had to leave a message. If one person was not there, another would pick up my messages and always call back over a concern. My prescriptions were always called in on time. I'm a worrier and they would always calm my fears.
It has been a long journey for us trying to have a child. Dr. McCoy and his team were there for us every step of the way. We have been through 4 cycles trying to get pregnant and then have a successful pregnancy. It has been a long road, but we would recommend Dr. McCoy and his team to anyone. The team were just as excited as we were each time a pregnancy occurred and wanted to check up on us with currently being pregnant. They have all treated us with great respect and they have felt the pain of this journey as well as the excitement.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Debra)
Dr. McCoy talked to us, in the beginning, about how everything works and he didn't sugar coat anything. He gave us the information about how successful this process is and at the same time seemed exited for the outcome it could bring. He was very respectful and was always there to answer questions.
It can be a long journey, but it's well worth it. Don't give up hope and trust the doctors at PREG. They care and know what they are doing.
I had to take a course of injections and oral medications to get ready for egg retrieval. We did the egg retrieval along with creating the embryos. We did 4 cycles total. The first one was a fresh embryo transfer and the other 3 were frozen embryo transfers. We tried one single transfer the first two times and then the other two times were two embryos. They did testing to check for different things after the first miscarriage.
For the initial IVF procedure it was between 12,000 and 15,000. The frozen embryo transfers it was between 3,500 and 4,000.
Dr. McCoy recommended single embry transfer, but gave us the option to do multiple (two) embryo transfer.

4 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Great clinic [PREG]. They are able to handle some complex scenarios right in their office like small outpatient surgeries on men and women. The staff are pretty stable except for the nurses who seem to rotate a bit more around the different satellite clinics. They DO NOT have a policy regarding patients or visitors bringing babies, toddlers or children to the clinic ...
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic. They are able to handle some complex scenarios right in their office like small outpatient surgeries on men and women. The staff are pretty stable except for the nurses who seem to rotate a bit more around the different satellite clinics. They DO NOT have a policy regarding patients or visitors bringing babies, toddlers or children to the clinic, and there have been MANY times that seeing another patient's baby has been very difficult for me. I have suggested a policy be put in place and so far none has happened. I cannot think of anything else that I would criticize than the lack of a policy surrounding that trigger.
Dr. McCoy makes time for me. If I need to talk to him, he schedules time to talk on the phone. He also answers emails very quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynne)
The nursing staff changes quite a bit. There are some that are better than others. They are all very nice, but some are more organized. Sometimes you have to remind the nurses to get meds ordered for cycles or send consent forms to be notarized ahead of time. They are much better here than the first clinic I tried.
He is extremely trustworthy and thorough and seems to have an excellent grasp on his field of medicine. He teaches me so much and answers all of my questions to my satisfaction. I cannot blame him for my cycles not working. He is very willing to think and work outside the box to give me the best chance of having a biological child possible.
He is the go to RE at PREG for male factor infertility.
Usually did antagonist protocols but did a micro dose lupron flare the last IVF. Very willing to try different protocols if they may be better.
IUI with donor sperm was about $550 plus the cost of sperm and medications. IVF runs about $8000-$10,000 depending on all the elements.
He is great at guiding the patient to a good choice of embryos to try per transfer.
Greenville

They [PREG] have a very good record keeping system. Definitely, be prepared for this staff to have everything in order for you. There has never been a question that I called to have answered that was not answered. They have a quick response time, and if they don't know the answer they will find someone who does ... Thorough and informative [nurse]. Everyone that in the office seems to have a very compassionate demeanor
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They have a very good record keeping system. Definitely, be prepared for this staff to have everything in order for you. There has never been a question that I called to have answered that was not answered. They have a quick response time, and if they don't know the answer they will find someone who does
Thorough and informative. Everyone that in the office seems to have a very compassionate demeanor
Dr.McCoy was straightforward and to the point. He did not codel the situation and he was very informative in a manner that I could understand. He recognizes that all people are not the same. My issue may look similar but the cause may be different. He gave me hope. He did not look at my age and my weight and tell me it is impossible. He wrote out a plan, told me my responsibilities and made it a team effort. I felt like he wanted me to have a child as much as I want to have a child. And no matter how discouraged I feel, I still know he is and will continue to do his very best. Even though he gave me hope, it was not false hope. Dr. McCoy shared the risk with me and what I would need to do to offset some of those risks. But he never made me feel like we were on an impossible journey. He is very proactive and personable. I have been other places and he is the only one who I felt I could be as candid as I need to be. He has practiced patience with a few personal setbacks that I have had. And even after I had to stop treatment for a moment, when I returned, he was still "Full Steam Ahead" with my treatment.
Expect to know exactly what they will do and what you need to be doing. They will not leave you in the dark.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic staff [at PREG] is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.... The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging... The plan was to ensure I was healthy and ready for the process. I had surgery to remove endometriosis and fibroids to make my uterus and ready as possible. I then will begin try a round of IUI, my choice. However, Dr. Whitman has recommended IVF or surrogacy due to my many recurrent losses, but that cost is beyond my family’s ability.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.
Dr. Whitman recognized our pain and allowed me to drain my emotions. She did not rush through our sessions and she never made me feel like my questions were stupid. She recognized that for the last 8 years I have been suffering emotionally and physically and needed a physician to really listen to me. She made me feel as if what I had to say was important . The previous physicians did not listen to me and made me feel as if I did not know my body.
The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Thus far I have felt like a valued patient. I have felt that she cared about my emotional and physical health. She was realistic and upfront about our situation. After years of loss and suffering it makes a difference when a physician allows you to cry and share your hopes and dreams. When you feel that you dreams are shattering you need a physician that allows you to have hope or deal with reality.
Dr. Whitman is honest and upfront. If you expect for a doctor to tell you what you want to hear versus the truth, she is not the one for you. If you want a real perspective, guidance and support the Dr. Whitman is it!
Thus far care cost has been reasonable.
Columbia

At PREG, they offer a free second opinion to patients who have saw another provider and wanted additional information about treatment options available. We were able to use this great feature. They have a financial adviser who is able to sit down with you and go over each cost associated with visits and treatments. They are able to run your insurance and provide you with the amount of coverage you have. This was extremely helpful! And if you are eligible they have different refund programs available as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group go out of there way to work with each patient. We were able to reschedule due to schedule conflicts a few times and able to get in for appointments within an acceptable amount of time. Everyone is always very prompt, friendly, and phenomenal! Each person there makes you feel as if they are all invested in your journey. So thankful for the doctors, and clinical staff at Preg.
In the current medical practice environment, physicians face mounting demands on their time. With Dr. Travis McCoy we have never felt pressured in time spent with him. Communication begins from the moment you first meet your doctor. The first consultation we had with Dr. McCoy he listened attentively as we described what brought us to seek his help with infertility. Then he performed a thorough exam, completed a detailed medical history, and based on the information he gathered came up with a detailed plan for our next steps. He not only verbally gave us this information but wrote each step down so we had this to take home for our decision making. Dr. McCoy gives you all your options and supports you in which ever path is right for you and your family. Our first consultation he spent a few hours with us and we never felt rushed. He made us feel as if we were the most important priority he had.
The nursing staff is very welcoming. They have great communication skills. We were highly impressed that after our visit a staff nurse would call to let us know that they knew there was a lot of information covered and if there were any questions or concerns they were there to assist us .
You essentially are able to tell a lot just by the way you have been treated from your first consultation at a clinic. We found that true when spending time with Dr. McCoy. He always makes us feel like your time matters to him. There are never any time constraints or feelings that you are an inconvenience to him. He is a provider who is welcoming to your questions and answers them in great detail. Dr. McCoy always gives us an undeniable feeling of hope and dedication. He truly looks out for the best interest of the patient. When first coming to him we were not under the complete understanding of how severe my endometriosis was and how it played such a part in our infertility journey. Dr. McCoy gave us several different treatment options and through shared decision making he helped guide us to what was the most urgent matter.
Dr. McCoy is very informative he provides you with all the relevant information, for you to select the medical intervention that is right for you. If you have questions ask him. He is a great patient educator.
We are currently in the beginning stages. We have had our initial consultation and a follow-up. Our next step is surgery to remove endometriosis prior to IVF treatment.
Asheville

The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group- Greenville] overall is amazing. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. New patients will see they made the best decision after their first visit. They have encouraging words from other successful patients posted and that is very encouraging.... I have yet to find one complaint about the nursing staff. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. They are like a family.
Latino, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is amazing. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. New patients will see they made the best decision after their first visit. They have encouraging words from other successful patients posted and that is very encouraging.
Everyone in the office is so warm and down to earth.
Dr Payne is always very thorough. He explains everything. If myself or husband ask a question, he explains it and is alwsys engaging. He lets us know what the next step is at the end of each visit. He is personable and down to earth.
Be prepared to have a comfortable experience. Going to a fertility doctor can be stressful and make you nervous. Dr. Payne is calming and genuinely nice. All of your fears will fly out of the window when you consult with Dr Payne. Very worth it!
My husband and I are dealing with male infertility. I have had all testing and passed them all; bloodwork, hysterscope, ultrasound. I do ovulate, I have a regular cycle, my falopian tubes are open, uterus is normal, ovaries loom good and I have plenty of eggs. My husband has low sperm count and motility. He was put on Metformin and now he is on clomid to hopefully boost his count enough to do IVF. (praying the our insurance will cover it) Dr Payne says we could be pregnant by Christmas!
My copay is $85 The hysterscope was around $300 Bloodwork and ultrasound was around $290 Sperm Analysis was around $100
Greenville

I have had one of my prescriptions not called in on time and went to the pharmacy twice to check on it. ... Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. ... Weakness: I wish the office [PREG] would stay open longer on fridays. ... Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have, well educated nurses, works around my work schedule and even stays open during lunch hours, because it is so hard for me to get in due to working 8-5. Weakness: I wish the office would stay open longer on fridays.
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession.
Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. During my initial consultation with her, she was able to explained the process of ovulation, reproduction, and IVF procedure with me in terms that I can easily understand, as English is not my 1st language. When my 1st cycle of femara did not work as expected she was respectful and help kepted me motivated and hopeful. Love nurse Tori! Nurse practitioner Stephanie is so sweet. She conducted some of my ultrasounds appointments and is very comforting when my results turned out negative. Nurse Lauren is awesome too! She always have a warm personality and calls in my prescriptions so I can pick it up right away. Stephanie, one of the receptionist at the spartanburg office I go to, is the sweetest. She always greets me by name and with a beautiful smile. This is so important because it made me feel like a family member and welcome.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I saw Dr. Nichols for my HSG testing and he was very informative and compassionate. He was able to answer any questions I had and his genuine personality made the atmosphere and my anxiety feel relaxed. For example, my cervix was short so he had to reclamp it a couple of times. He showed his concern by asking how I was feeling and letting me know before hand, you will feel some pressure here or it will feel uncomfortable when I do this but it's not intolerable. He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
Dr. Nichols is very gentle and will treat his patients with respect. His communication is simple to understand.
The treatment I had was HSG testing. My results were normal and both of my fallopian tubes were not blocked. Dr. Nichols also offered ibuprofen in the office prior to the testing due to side effects of stomach cramping that can occur afterwards.
My cost of care was under Dr. Nichols was the fee for HSG testing. It was out of pocket since my insurance do not cover any fertility treatments.
None
Spartanburg

I really like the fact that they [PREG] have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. ... The office is really nice and clean. ... After our first set of labs, I had not heard back from the clinic with the results. ... It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication. ... The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like the fact that they have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. It did take us about a month and a half to get an appointment with Dr. McCoy as his main office is not in West Columbia, but we knew that it was worth the wait. The office is really nice and clean. I have not found a weakness yet!
Dr. McCoy took time prior to our visit to review the medical records that we sent over. He reviewed his medical records with us and explained that his lab work completed by our primary care doctor showed signs of Hypothyroidism which had gone undiagnosed. After carefully reviewing our records and discussing our goals together we created an "action plan".
The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number. If we have questions, they either answer them or will find an answer for us. I explained that we had met our yearly out of pocket expenses with health insurance and wanted to take advantage of all procedures that we need to have completed for IVF that our health insurance would cover before the end of the year. That spoke with Dr. McCoy and had no issues beginning that process even though we are not positive we will need IVF at this point. They will do what they can to help us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I chose Dr. McCoy because at this point we concluded that my husband was the reason we were not becoming pregnant. He did a Facebook live session discussing male infertility, just from watching this session and seeing how knowledgeable I knew I wanted to see him. We have only met with him one time as we are just beginning our journey, but before our appointment, he actually read our medical records! He was very honest about the fact that IVF may be our only option to conceive but did not make us feel that he was trying to "sell" us IVF. He answered all of my questions and provided us with detailed information and together we created an "action plan" to help us get pregnant.
Send all information regarding your and your partner's fertility before your visit.
Currently, we are very early in our treatment. Upon reviewing my husband's prior labs and semen analysis, he felt that there was a hormone issue that could be the leading cause of my husband's low sperm count and possibly issues with his vasectomy reversal, but we needed to start with the production of sperm. Based on recent lab work completed by our primary care provider he gave my husband a prescription for thyroid medicine and then sent us for labs. I was fortunate that my labs were fine but unfortunately, my husbands were not as he is making too much estrogen and not enough testosterone. Dr. McCoy started my husband on medication to suppress his estrogen and told us to come back in one month for additional labs. Fortunately, my husband's hormones are headed in the right direction but are not at an average level yet. He adjusted his medication and he will go back in November for additional lab work and a semen analysis to verify his body is producing sperm.
Currently, we have not paid anything out of pocket due to reaching our cap out of pocket with insurance, but our insurance only covers diagnostic testing and a few other items. It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication.
We have not discussed this process.
Greenville

Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they [PREG] can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time. ... All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time.
Dr. Tarnawa has been very thorough with us in discussing each step along the path to pregnancy. He made sure to put things into terms we could understand and he always answers the many questions we have for him. When he can tell we may be worried or concerned, he has been quick to provide positive support and words of encouragement.
All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions. Each nurse has a unique personality and is very good about being super supportive. They have made us laugh and smile and enjoy being there. They have become part of our family!
Dr. Tarnawa is a good communicator and he makes sure to explain not only the recommended course of treatment but also the reason that course of action was chosen. Dr. Tarnawa always provides us with a thorough explanation of the risks and benefits of the various choices facing us. He is sharp, and I appreciate that he takes the time to fulling explain things to a point we understand them.
I would just say the he is very busy and you won't see him at every visit, but rest assured he is involved/supervising every step of the way.
My wife suffers from PCOS and does not have a regular cycle/doesn't ovulate on her own. Dr. Tarnawa examined her thoroughly and said that we could take medicine that would cause her to ovulate. He explained clomid and letrozole could both cause ovulation. He told us the positives and negatives of using each and allowed us to make the choice. We went with letrozole and after getting a base line reading of her follicle size, we completed a round of the medication and he began to measure her follicles shortly after to see the growth. He wanted a follicle to reach 20 mm. He also made sure to measure her endometrium to see its thickening. My wife's body responded and a follicle measured 20 mm so a trigger shot of ovidrel was administered. We then had an IUI, not the immediately falling day, but the day after that. The first time we discovered she did not ovulate. He increased the dosage amount of the letrozole for the second IUI attempt and followed the same procedure as before. This time she did ovulate and we home tested positive for pregnancy but it ultimately ended up being a chemical pregnancy. We followed the same procedure for our third IUI and got eleven weeks into a pregnancy but miscarried. We just completed our fourth IUI, again following the same procedure of taking letrozole, three 2.5 tablets per day for seven days, measuring follicle growth and endometrium response, doing a trigger shot after one follicle reaches 20mm or more, and the IUI a day and a half later.
We have to pay for ultrasounds, blood draws, testing, semen analysis, IUIs, consultations, lab work.
We have not engaged in either of those.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Strengths: Clinic [PREG] was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. ... Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses. ... Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path. ...
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Clinic was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path.
While visiting Preg is was nice that the nurses and coordinators reminder your name and greet you with a smile. Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses.
The nurses and phlebotomist were always kind especially Deborah. She was always compassionate, understanding, and patient with the many questions I asked.
Dr. Nichols is a very intelligent and thorough doctor. The only downfall is you only get to see him maybe once a month if you are a patient at a Preg clinic outside of Greenville, SC. I have been told he takes phone appointments but i have not had one so i can't really speak to that.
Be aware of his schedule of only visiting Columbia once a month. I wish someone would of explained that to me when I first reached out to Preg.
Protocol was IVF since I previously had 3 unsuccessful IUIs in another clinic in Columbia. However, Dr. Nichols and I talked and wanted to do one more IUI. It was a successful IUI in terms of getting pregnant but unfortunately I miscarried due to a missing chromosome for the fetus.
Cost were cheaper than the other leading clinic in Columbia. But that didn't cheapen the service or the experience.
Columbia

...the clinic [PREG] left something to be desired. ... The people were friendly but it was casual. ... We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up. ... Much higher than anticipated. ... It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive ...
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was extremely please with the doctor but the clinic left something to be desired. I didn't feel like they even knew who I was even though we would be there multiple times a week. The people were friendly but it was casual. I see posts on social media celebrating new pregnancies but other than congratulations you're pregnant I don't remember anyone celebrating it or I didn't feel they were that excited for us. The doctor that filled in for Dr. McCoy for our IUI was a jerk. He was very blunt in telling us it wouldn't work but I was emotional and it was hard to take in at the time. It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive but Dr. McCoy was and he is the reason we want to go back and try again.
Dr. McCoy was very patient when explaining everything. He spoke with us several times about options before we started treatment. He has met with us already about trying for a second baby from our frozen embryos and was just as informative and patient this time. I was very emotional and his patience helped ease my anxiety.
All of the nurses were nice but I think I saw a different one every time so I didn't get to know the nurses.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was patient, kind and informative. When we started I was unsure if IVF was the right route for us but he took time to meet with us and go thru everything and had a very positive outlook. He was always reachable if I had questions. It's a very emotional situation and he understood that and was patient and kind every time we saw him.
Ask every question you can think of, he will answer it. He will take the time to make you feel comfortable.
Dr. McCoy laid out a plan for treatment, I don't recall the specifics now but go in knowing that it is not set in stone. I wanted a schedule so I could plan around that but your body doesn't work that way. Go in knowing that you will have to go with the flow. My eggs weren't growing as quick as they would've liked and I think I had to do an extra week or hormones before retrieval. I remember Dr. McCoy being concerned that we might only get 10 viable eggs and after the retrieval I had 21! Just be patient and know that Dr. McCoy knows what he is doing and trust that he will help you every way he can.
Much higher than anticipated. Insurance didn't cover anything. Price for the IVF cycle was $11,000 plus labs and drugs. We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up.
My husband and I had agreed that we would do up to 2 embryos but when Dr. McCoy saw the embryos he came to us and said our embryos were textbook good and only wanted to transfer one. We were nervous because we so badly wanted it to work but he was right, that one was our perfect little boy!
Greenville

Welcoming and kind staff [at Peidmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Welcoming and kind staff. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Dr. McCoy was very responsive to my questions and needs. He was understanding of the restrictions of my job and worked with me to make my appointments and cycles work (ie phone visits when I could not make office visits). He is very honest about the difficulties we face and is willing to discuss the details of treatments so that I and my husband fully understand.
Very accessible and responsive to questions. Extremely understanding and supportive of me and my husband. I usually see the same nurses at each visit which is great for putting me at ease.
He is understanding, compassionate and honest about the difficulties we face with conceiving. He is easy to get a hold of when needed and responsive to all questions/concerns. He is understanding of the restrictions of my job and works with me to make my cycles possible while continuing to work.
Be sure and ask questions about how your treatment plan s tailored to you. Dr. McCoy is great at explaining this!
IVF cycle: I have low ovarian reserve so my injection dosages where adjusted to try and stimulate as many follicles as possible. My husband unfortunately does not produce sperm so when he underwent testicular exploration to look for sperm, Dr. McCoy advised us to have a backup donor for my IVF cycle. I was closely monitored throughout the cycle with ultrasounds and my retrieval date was moved forward based on my progress. Unfortunately, our single fertilized egg arrested so I could not undergo embryo transfer. IUI: I was placed on high dose and prolonged course of letrozole in conjunction with Gonal F injection x3. Once again this was for my low ovarian reserve and trying to stimulate follicles. My first IUI was unsuccessful and I just completed my second insemination.
My insurance covers much of my fertility treatment costs. Office visit copays are usually less than $50. My IVF cycle was ~$4K upfront and IVF medications were ~$6K. I pay nearly nothing for the IUI cycles.
Columbia

I absolutely loved the nursing staff [at PREG-Spartanburg]. While waiting in the lobby we were constantly asked if we needed anything to make us more comfortable such as a different selection of magazines or a bottle of water. They even apologized to us for the long wait after only waiting 15 minutes to see the doctor.... The billing nurse stayed after hours with us to discuss the difference in cost between tubal reversal and simply IVF. We were told it's cheaper ($7,000 ) to get a tubal reversal, but it might not work due to unforeseen risks. Simply IVF is higher ($7,500), but more likely to work in our condition.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic I visited was very small with about 8 chairs and a table full of different magazines, but at the same time the office was very inviting and cozy. It made me feel confident about the process ahead.
Dr. Payne talked to me like an actual person and broke down possible routes that we can take in order to conceive. He explained the process might be long and hard, but he'll try his best to make our dreams of having a baby reality.
I absolutely loved the nursing staff. While waiting in the lobby we were constantly asked if we needed anything to make us more comfortable such as a different selection of magazines or a bottle of water. They even apologized to us for the long wait after only waiting 15 minutes to see the doctor.
I believe Dr. Payne's strongest strength is his ability to be completely honest. He told us about possible risks and different routes we can take without holding any information back. I look forward to continuing our fertility treatments with Dr. Payne and hopefully conceive a beautiful healthy baby within the next year.
The advice I would give to a prospective patient of Dr. Payne is to be patient and try to have tough skin. He's not like normal doctors that perform different treatments on you to just get paid. Dr. Payne will be honest with you and let you know before you waste your time and money.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
The office [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.... hey are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all.
European, Middle Eastern, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.
Dr McCoy was extremely thorough & answered all my questions in an informative, concise, yet gentle manner. He was very sensitive as is the subject at hand, which I felt was very appropriate. It was nice to be treated in a considerate kind way while also having all my concerns addressed.
They are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all. The woman had just assumed I was already trying when we haven’t even gotten started yet. I was planning on finishing my last year of graduate school for social work, since I’m physically limited due to multiple extensive spinal fusions and chronic pain, i won’t have the energy time or capacity to finish it once a child arrives. But based on what the first nurse told me, I decided to pull out of the program until we sort out what’s going on. So it turns out I delayed for no reason, which is extremely frustrating.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr McCoy was extremely knowledgeable about endometriosis and my chances of conception. He was very kind and not at all condescending while explaining what was happening to me hormonally. He reassured me with a plan of action that he wrote down for me to follow, including hormonal medications and drawings of what my uterus was going through vs where we want it to be. He gently informed me I’ll eventually need more surgery and explained that he doesn’t take my insurance but that it might pay to just buy a plan for 1 month to make it at least somewhat affordable, since no other surgeon in this area is quite as specialized as him when it comes to good endometriosis removal results. I walked out of the room feeling well informed, cared for, and in control.
Bring a notebook!
He said I don’t need to come back until the moment we are ready to start trying
He said I can’t afford his endometriosis surgery with my insurance that he doesn’t take, and suggested I buy some if I want to see him for the surgery. He has the best results in the area and I don’t want to have to travel out of state.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
Greenville

Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic [PREG] was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
The doctor, nurses and the receptionists at the practice made a point to know me and be supportive during this whole experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikela)
All of the support staff are personable, welcoming, understanding and helpful.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I felt that the dr was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.
Ask all the questions that you need. I think sometimes women don't feel like they can ask for what they need and it's so important to feel like you have a handle on all the different aspects of your fertility.
With my severely diminished egg reserve, the best treatments were oral hormones, ultrasound and hormonal injections to encourage follicle development. We did one cycle "naturally" and then 6 cycles with IUI. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy and we are now looking at IVF.
$35 for oral hormone $100 for Ovidrel shot $180 Ultrasound $475 IUI treatment I can't remember how much the bloodwork was for the lab $100 semen analysis
Asheville

I have no complaints. They are efficient, kind, prompt and prepared for everything from check in to blood work to finance- this clinic will make your experience as stress free as possible. I highly recommend Preg Greenville to everyone ttc.... [nursing staff] are all the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. They put up with a lot of emotions from those of us ttc and they never lose their smiles or helpful attitude. They are willing to help you learn
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols has listened to me every step of the way, and has been extremely kind and caring as he tries to help me get pregnant. He explains everything in a clear concise way, and is willing to work with me on specific requests and feelings about my transfers and the processes. I could not ask for a more intune doctor.
They are all the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. They put up with a lot of emotions from those of us ttc and they never lose their smiles or helpful attitude. They are willing to help you learn (like how to put a shot in your bum) and never complain about having to explain something to you a few times (because that’s a lot of stuff to process!) I love the gals at Preg Greenville from front desk to to finance, I trust them all completely.
Dr. Nichols is everything you would want in a doctor. He is knowledgeable in his field, kind, and considerate of his patients. He works hard to bring about the best positive results, and when things fail (as my 2 IVFs did), he is just as sad as his patient and more determined to make sure everything is adjusted and right for the next try. I would highly recommend him to any one trying to get pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what YOU want. If he doesn’t know something, he will find out and give you an answer, and he is always willing to move in a direction that YOU are comfortable with.
It’s been over a year since my IVF cycles with Dr. Nichols, but as best I can remember: Egg retrieval- hormone injections, clomid for ovulation, ultra sounds to monitor my uterus and ovaries, blood work. Result: 12 embryos Transfer #1: again clomid, injections for ovulation, I can’t remmeber what patches I wore a lot along my stomach, patches and vaginal progesterone (crinone), progesterone shots every three days, ultra sounds, blood work. Result: triggered low as pregnant, a few days later it was negative. Transfer #2: same as above Rationale about all things above was that it was what my body needed for its best chance to conceive.
About 4K for the egg retrieval I think, additional money for medications and 2 transfers (a couple grand each I think) plus all the appointments for blood work and ultrasounds (don’t know the official total) and I’ve just had a hysteroscoy done and that was about $600.
None

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
All of the staff [PREG] were very friendly, compassionate and informative. They all greeted me with smiles and welcome greetings every visit. They were always pleasant and willing to help with whatever needs or questions.... The strengths are they take the time to specialize in you and your care and needs. They are all knowledgeable and gonout of their way to help you with the process. They are all very encouraging. Weakness I would just have to say would be that not all of the staff can answer certain questions and have to find someone that does know them. But I imagine that is every clinic
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr Payne was always professional and expressed sorrow for all the losses I had experienced and he also sympathized with me when my cycle failed
All of the staff were very friendly, compassionate and informative. They all greeted me with smiles and welcome greetings every visit. They were always pleasant and willing to help with whatever needs or questions.
Dr Payne was a great communicator and listener. He explained everything to the best of his knowledge and if he didn’t know he always found the answer out for me. He was very compassionate and caring. The only weakness I found was he was not sure prices and told me certain things were included that weren’t. So I was shocked when I learned about the additional cost in the end.
Some questions May be better answered by his nurses. He is very blunt and straight forward and some people may not like that. I did appreciate the honesty
I had to do a good bit of testing due to my many miscarriages and extopics. My husband had to have some tests done as well. I had to take three shots a day and several pills a day. Everything I had to take did in fact work and produce great eggs. For some reason my body rejected it. I went in knowing the simple ivf was a 50/50 chance. Had I have known what I know now I would’ve paid the extra money and did a full cycle treatment
The simple IVF was $7500. My medicine was $2500. Labs were $500 and freezing the eggs was $900
Spartanburg

I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.
Greenville

PREG is a clean, comfortable facility with kind staff. They have multiple, easily accessible locations that make it easy to work with them, even if you live in a different town. They have seen me promptly for every appointment. They are well organized, willing to answer questions, and friendly. ... The 2nd opinion was totally free! ... Every nurse we have worked with has shown us kindness, compassion, and answered questions fully, or found an answer quickly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. McCoy talked to us directly and plainly. He didn't use overly-technical words, and gave us his honest opinion on our treatment with another doctor. He allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and was very sympathetic to our situation.
Every nurse we have worked with has shown us kindness, compassion, and answered questions fully, or found an answer quickly. Many of them have been through infertility themselves, and can empathize on a level that is comforting.
Dr.McCoy discussed our history with us in a way that was easily understandable. He listened closely to our answers, with great follow up questions that allowed him to form a complete understanding of our situation. He offered different courses of treatment, and was very willing to work with us.
Get a second opinion! Dr. McCoy was our second opinion, and even though we haven't conceived (yet!) I do have hope. He will work with you within your comfort zone and financial means.
I've been pregnant three times, and miscarried twice, so we know that I can have a successful pregnancy. We had already spent over $20,000 when we came to Dr. McCoy for a second opinion. He advised using different, less expensive, medications to achieve the same result. He was right! I'm producing quality eggs in good frequency for so much less than we were paying with a more expensive options. It's just a numbers game from here - I believe we will get pregnant!
The 2nd opinion was totally free! Dr. McCoy spent about an hour with us on our first consultation, getting to know us and our history. The treatment at PREG is about 1/2 the cost of the other fertility clinic we used.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
{Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Very new clinic with updated equipment. Not always easy to get in touch with billing coordinator...It is always very cold in the office so I would take a sweater with you to appointments...[nurse was] Always available by phone or email. Returned all calls and emails promptly. Always gave very detailed copies of instructions and protocols...My doctor suggested eSET as we are younger and I am in good health. We have only had success with transferring 2 embryos so we declined single embryo transfer. We were well aware of the risk of multiples and we were willing to accept that risk.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very new clinic with updated equipment. Not always easy to get in touch with billing coordinator. Don’t wear any perfume or anything that smells strong. It is always very cold in the office so I would take a sweater with you to appointments.
She took the time to explain in detail all test results, provided me with options and explained all available options so I could make an informed decision. I never felt rushed at any point in time during any of my cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie)
I was extremely pleased with my care. Dr Whitman-Elia was very compassionate and you could tel she was invested in her patients. She took the time to get to know me and would ask how work and my other children were doing. I always felt very comfortable in her care and never second guessed anything that she suggested.
Make sure you go in with a list of questions to ask. She tends to almost overwhelm you with information but that is because she wants you to have all of the information available. I always took a notepad and would jot down notes from my appointments and any questions that I came up with.
My very first cycle was a fresh cycle. I was on follistim, ganerelix, triggered with a low dose HcG. We ended up with 8 day 3 embryos. 2 arrested and failed to grow. We transferred 2 and froze 4. We got a negative that cycle. As soon as I started my period we started all baseline blood work and did a transfer trial that included a endometrial scratch, lots and lots of estrogen patches, and PIO shots. On the day of transfer we thawed 2 embryos that didn’t survive so we thawed the last 2 and I got pregnant with my now 4 year old son. Fast forward 2 years later we were ready for #2. The office had changed some protocols and now only suggested doing a freeze all cycle and only transferring 5 day embryos. We stuck with the same protocol as the first cycle follistim, ganerelix. We were able to retreive 13 embryos, 8 fertilized and 7 survived to day 5 embryos. We froze all 7 embryos and again as soon as my period came did baseline blood work, trial transfer with embryo scratch, estrogen patches, and PIO. We thawed 2 and they both survived. I have my almost 2 year old son from that cycle. In Nov of 2018 we decided to try again for #3. The Fertility Clinic I started with was called Advanced Fertility but when we started trying for #3 the clinic had been bought by PREG. Luckily Dr Whitman-Elia was still there. PREG had success with different protocols. So we started with initial blood work and baseline ultrasounds. Instead of estrogen patches I was taking oral estrogen as well as vaginal estrogen, there was no endometrial scratch this cycle, and I started PIO 5 days before transfer. We thawed 2 embryos and they both survived the thaw leaving us with 3 left in the freezer. I am currently 17 weeks with baby #3.
Our first 3 cycles were covered under my husbands insurance. He was a state employee and benefits covered 3 transfers at 70%. We paid more for medication than anything. I know with our first fresh cycle we paid $4,200 just for medication and our next retrevial cycle it was 5,000. Our last frozen cycle we were out of pocket minus some of the baseline testing that was covered under insurance. We paid almost 10,000

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The physicians and clinical staff [Piedmont Repro] are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are so great at what they do and turkey compassionate. The physicians and clinical staff are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process. Time sensitivity, as far as completing the process in June and July rather than waiting until September, for example would greatly help their patient experience overall for those who don’t walk in as a wealthy married couple prepared to pay everything on the spot. I am a single mom doing the best I can through my treatment needs for endometriosis and I am exhausting my efforts to have my eggs preserved so that I will have another baby when my body is ready. It’s a shame that something’s would have to be postponed to administrative details rather than justified clinical details. I would recommend new patients to stay on top of the info and process instead of ever letting it go the first 2 months assuming they’re getting the ball rolling on their end only to find out they’re not.
Dr. Payne has spent an extent of time speaking with me about every single one of my questions and going over the full spectrum of details on the plans ahead for the big picture goals of preserving my eggs to avoid having them further compromised by my stage four endometriosis as well as by the treatments I need for that disease. He has taken all of my specific needs and desires in to account with each recommendation and decision making for this process. He is very friendly and he does not rush me at all throughout these inquisitive conversations I hold with him. I am so very thankful that I and my future children are in his hands!
They are so sweet, friendly, understanding, and informative!
He is just a thoughtful and thorough care giver. He is a very highly trained and informed expert in his field, and he covers all of the basis when helping me think out the options I have for my course of treatment and long term goals. He is so friendly and certainly considerate of the sensitivity of my current disease process if stage four endometriosis and of my immense desire to bring another beautiful baby into God’s world. I am so very thankful for his help.
To stay on top of the financial and insurance department that is in charge of preauthorizations in his office, if that is the financial situation that the prospective patient is coming from. Time sensitivity could definitely be improved with those administrative staff members.
We are still in the early stages of progress. We began with the base line scans for ultrasound folical count and lab drawings. Now we have moved on the recallibrating the ovulation scheduled via birth control method. Based on the number of follicles seen, the goal is to complete two cycles if financially possible so that I have enough to possibly freeze a combination of some eggs as well as some embryos, to get be enough chances of some of both remaining viable throughout the process. Once that is completed, we plan to treat me for endometriosis until my body is ready for a healthy pregnancy. I am so eager to experience an intimate pregnancy, carrying my child in me, and the joy of nursing and nurturing my little infant. God knows my heart and desires for this, and all of Dr. Payne’s methods and plans have been circled around this.
I am still in the process of receiving accurate price quote information after 3 months
Those will be items we get to towards the last stages of the process and I look forward to learning more details about the methods when we are crossing the bridge. I haven’t sought that info yet as we are still starting all of this.
Greenville

From the women at the front desk [PREG] who get me checked in without me even having to remind them who I am, to the phlebotomists who make constant blood draws as comfortable as possible, everyone there has been wonderful to me and my husband during this sometimes scary time. ... The nurses are incredibly kind and patient and always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I cannot say enough nice things about the staff at PREG in Greenville. From the women at the front desk who get me checked in without me even having to remind them who I am, to the phlebotomists who make constant blood draws as comfortable as possible, everyone there has been wonderful to me and my husband during this sometimes scary time. I am not aware of any weaknesses. These men and women answer calls after hours, they're patient with people who are scared and don't know if what they're experiencing is normal or abnormal and they're just so good at treating you like a human. I would 100% recommend PREG to anyone.
Dr. McCoy seems to legitimately care about helping his patients have a child. He was very careful to explain all possible outcomes in a way that was easy to understand.
The nurses are incredibly kind and patient and always willing to answer questions. We even had a nurse who wasn't involved in our transfer pop her head in just to say hello after the procedure and that little moment won't be easily forgotten. Fertility issues are incredibly tough to deal with. Having a team that makes you feel like they genuinely care makes all the difference in the world.
Dr. McCoy did a great job of informing us about the possibilities every step of the way. This is a scary process and the uncertainty is difficult, but we truly felt like he went above and beyond to explain what was going on in great detail and, despite seeing all kinds of outcomes on a regular basis, he seemed to legitimately care that this isn't an easy process.
Ask questions! He's great about trying to answer in the best way that he can. Even in instances when the answer is that he simply doesn't know -- he'll be honest about that.
My husband had a micro-tese to retrieve sperm. Dr. McCoy explained to us that when he went in for his procedure, he would first try to aspirate sperm in an easier way, but the micro-tese might be necessary. It was and doing so gave us the ability to make five embryos. On my side, Dr. McCoy worked to regulate my hormones with gonal-F, birth control, estrogen and progesterone. The idea being that I am a relatively young and healthy individual so we kept things pretty standard. He also frequently mentioned that we could make adjustments if we felt they were necessary for my comfort or our success.
Roughly $25,000 total for my husbands surgery, my egg retrieval, various blood draws and ultrasounds, my medicines and the transfer.
I do not have any comments.

IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
It is easy to become overwhelmed when talking with the financial coordinators at PREG. They sometimes seem un-compassionate. ... Also, they do not give you actual cost until you have had a consultation and ultrasound so you are financially invested. One strength they have is everyone seems to work as a team. Everyone knew exactly where we were in our treatment. The lab staff was excellent and always eased by mind.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It is easy to become overwhelmed when talking with the financial coordinators at PREG. They sometimes seem un-compassionate. I was given a big folder full of pamphlets to read and figure out how to pay for my treatment. It can be a bit confusing. Also, they do not give you actual cost until you have had a consultation and ultrasound so you are financially invested. One strength they have is everyone seems to work as a team. Everyone knew exactly where we were in our treatment. The lab staff was excellent and always eased by mind.
We always feel very welcomed while at PREG. From our first consultation, everyone knew us by name. We are always greeted with a smile and asked how things are going. Dr. Tarnawa spent over an hour at our first consultation getting to know us and our story up to that point. I have always felt that our care was personalized.
All nurses at PREG are very pleasant and helpful. If you ever have questions about anything there is a nursing voicemail you leave a message in and they will call you back the same day. One negative thing about nurse is she is sometimes delayed in doing things you need such as calling in a prescription.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa always takes the time to explain everything throughly. I am a ob/gyn nurse and was afraid he was going to assume I already knew about IVF. I was wrong. He always takes time to explain everything in great detail. He does not "sugar coat" the negative side of treatments. He explains the risk at each step of the process but he always gives an explanation of how is going to try to avoid any negative outcomes if possible. He does most ultrasounds himself and explains what he is looking out during the scan. He only explains one step of the IVF process at a time. I am a planner therefore I wanted to know what was going on over the following few weeks. Looking back, I appreciate him taking things one step at a time as I feel that it helped me from becoming overwhelmed.
If there is anything you don't understand, ask! He is great at explaining things on a level you can understand. My husband has no medical background but always had a clear understanding of everything when we left PREG.
I don't remember the specific protocol but I do know we use to lupron trigger instead of a HCG trigger. We had 17 eggs at retrieval. 13 were fertilized. 6 made it to day 5 for cryopreservation. We are waiting for transfer at this point.
We do not have fertility coverage so everything was self pay. You must pay the say of your procedure, ultrasound, consultation, etc. The cost they quote you for IVF does not include medications. They give an estimate of what medication will cost. My medication cost more than the estimated amount. They give a breakdown of everything included in the cost of your treatment. Baseline ultrasounds are not included in the cost of IVF.
PREG gives specific guidelines on the number of embryos you can transfer. Typically one embryo is transfered first.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Strengths are everyone's attitudes. Nurses are kind and the staff [PREG] is all on the same page. The clinic is very clean and neat. ...New patients would news to know that they will be taken care of. It's a scary process and the doctors and staff do a great job of making you feel safe and that you will be taken care of. ... [nurses] Very knowledgeable and understanding. Also very upbeat and positive
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are everyone's attitudes. Nurses are kind and the staff is all on the same page. The clinic is very clean and neat. I can't think of any weakness. New patients would news to know that they will be taken care of. It's a scary process and the doctors and staff do a great job of making you feel safe and that you will be taken care of.
Dr. NICHOLS always knew my case when I went in. He was quite blunt with his delivery of bad news but he was very informative and always made sure to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowitz)
Very knowledgeable and understanding. Also very upbeat and positive
He explained things very fast. Going in I didn't know much about the steps and process and I thought he went over everything really fast. He's very knowledgeable and I trusted everything he chose to do. After 1 failed attempt we went in with a different protocol and still did not get the results we wanted. Up next we're going to try and egg donor. He sounds optimistic about this next process.
Have questions prepared because he throws a lot of info at you very quickly and it's difficult to process it all and think of questions.
We did injections of Gonal, microcode lupron, and low dose HCG. The first cycle had lower doses, the 2nd cycle had maximum dosages of the gonal. Similar results were achieved both times. First we retrieved 7 eggs and 2 fertilized. 2nd we retrieved 6 eggs and 1 fertilized. Neither time made it to blastocyst stage so no transfers.
Insurance covered a great deal. We paid a little over 5,000 for the first round. Office visit prior to1st round were around $800 in total. $700 for medication the first round. The second round we paid a $150 office visit and $600 for medications.
We wanted to do 2 eggs transferred. The doctor encourage just one.
Greenville

All of the equipment for treatment and diagnostics are on site which makes treatment convenient. It’s usually pretty easy to get appointment times that fit your schedule, even the same day or a day later. ... Once there was a case of a prescription not being called into the pharmacy but luckily it didn’t affect my treatment timeline. ... For the most part the nurses are wonderful. ... Some of the other nurses were a little less warm, but were always professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is wonderful. Clean, organized, and feels like a spa. All of the equipment for treatment and diagnostics are on site which makes treatment convenient. It’s usually pretty easy to get appointment times that fit your schedule, even the same day or a day later.
Doctor Nichols is always prepared for our visits, having already reviewed test results and prepared literature for us to read. He always presents everything as an option with a recommendation but does not force us into any treatment we are uncomfortable with.
For the most part the nurses are wonderful. Christina was always nice and sympathetic and gentle and never made me feel bad (even when I showed up thinking I was ovulating and I definitely wasn’t). Some of the other nurses were a little less warm, but were always professional.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
In one on one visits, Dr. Nichols was willing to talk about any concerns we had and listened to all of our concerns. He did not sugarcoat but was at the same time professional. I have not yet had the results I would like, but I’m confident I’ll get there with Dr. Nichols.
Come prepared with all of the test results and concerns that you have and be prepared to ask lots of questions if you have them. He will answer as many as you have.
We started with Femara and Metformin, but I was not a good responder. We did a “step up” the first time where we added more Femara without waiting for another cycle. I added injectables since I was not a good responder and upped the dosage each time to get more than one follicle since I didn’t get pregnant with only one follicle. I used a trigger shot to trigger ovulation each cycle.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. ... They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. Preg Columbia also has a great appointment reminder system. Text and emails made sure I didn’t forget! They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me. It was truly comforting to know I wasn’t alone. Weaknesses: none really— I have no complaints.
She and her team listened to my questions and concerns - very kind and good bedside manner
Emilie was so responsive with any concern or question— if she was not available she had another nurse call right away. She was so good to me. I could not have made it without her!! Also the lab ladies are some of the best around. They have made each lab a joy and I look forward to seeing them. They are always so encouraging!!!
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Gail is very knowledgeable in her field... as a breast cancer survivor it was important that she had success file experience with such patients. She was aggressive with treatment but not so much as to put my health in jeopardy. Very kind, but frank and good bedside manner.
Trust her experience... even if you do not get the outcome you want right away- she is committed to your success but it can take a few cycles.
We tried timed intercourse which is least invasive, with medication as well as Iui cycles medicated. We were financially and mentally ready for IVF so we made the decision to go that direction with her help.
The package for Ivf was $15,000 meds around $4000 , iui and semen analysis and storage perhaps $1500
I understand why they do wear however we only had one fertilized embryo on day 5 so it would not have mattered
Columbia

The clinic [PREG-Spartanburg] has a great staff and team of doctors. There has always been excellent communication regarding treatments and appointments with the nursing staff. The doctors are caring and committed to your success. The only recommendations i would have would be updating the office interior to be a bit more welcoming and comfortable.... The nursing staff is consistently compassionate and communicative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has a great staff and team of doctors. There has always been excellent communication regarding treatments and appointments with the nursing staff. The doctors are caring and committed to your success. The only recommendations i would have would be updating the office interior to be a bit more welcoming and comfortable.
The entire staff at PREG has been wonderful. Dr. Payne gave us his undivided attention from the initial consultation through all the troubling cycles. We never felt rushed or ignored, and he always made time to discuss our feelings and options along the way. The nurses and office staff were respectful and encouraging at all times.
The nursing staff is consistently compassionate and communicative.
Dr. Payne is a great doctor. He is detailed in his explanations and what our options are moving forward. He is honest with the results of treatments and tests, and alters treatment as needed after discussing with me. I am always treated with respect and patience, knowing that my treatment and success is important to Dr. Payne.
Ask any and all questions you may have. Don't be afraid to be open and honest with him. He will take the time to make sure he understands your goals and wishes and create a treatment plan that works for you. He is very honest and straightforward in a respectful way, which i appreciate. We have had no false expectations of the treatment plan, and always know the risks.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and went through several cycles being treated with Metformin and Clomid with no ovulation before coming to Dr. Payne. Dr. Payne ran a full panel of blood work, ultrasound and egg reserve count, and Hysterosalpingogram after our initial consultation. I started a cycle continuing with Metformin and adding Letrozole with follicle scans to monitor possible ovulation. With no success, Estridol was added to the cycles and the Letrozole dosage was increased along with continued follicle scans and blood tests for ovulation. Ovidrel shots were added once there was a large enough dominant follicle confirmed, and ovulation was successful during 2 cycles, but neither resulted in pregnancy. FSH and LH shots were added to several cycles in combination with all other medications and Ovidrel shot. Ovulation was successful one time, with no pregnancy. The doses were increased with each round, but my ovaries actually became less responsive with the last 2 cycles of increased dosages. Dr. Payne discussed these results openly and honestly with me, and together we made the decision to take a brief break from treatments to let my body rest and focus on health through nutrition and exercise. He was open and honest with expectations and his guidance for timelines.
Costs were billed to my insurance company, and any remaining balances were billed to me directly. Staff made all efforts to ensure treatments were as effective and affordable as possible.
not applicable to my experience

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
[PREG- Ashevile is] Easy to find, clear communication and honest feedback. Make sure to call your insurance to find out how they handle infertility. From bloodwork to appointments, each one is diffrent. PREG lets you know what to call about beforehand and is very honest about cost structures.... I have a homogeneous folic acid mutation and thyroid issue. I am on folate, thyroid and baby aspirin every day now. My blood work is now normal after 6 weeks of taking the meds. I just finished 1 round of fermera and will take an injection tomorrow to help ovulation. I will then start with progesterone hoping for a positive.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Before we came to PREG we had 2 miscarriages and felt as if we were getting nowhere. In addition, my OBGYN and staff treated me like a wounded animal. This was SO different when going to PREG and seeing Dr. Nicoles. He was confident in his responses and assured me that he was going to help us figure this out. He did look at me like I was broken. He was direct yet soft. Trust me, after 3 years of trying and multiple pregnancy losses, you just want someone on your team with honest and straightforward communication. I felt heard yet he did not tiptoe around the facts, which was a breath of fresh air! Most importantly you hear horror stories of fertility clinics taking advantage of your desire for children so they charge you at every corner.....PREG is 100% not that. They are aware of the cost and the impact of your family at EVERY appointment. Even blood work. Being "new" to the infertility world it has been awesome to know they will be honest and fair. No mistruths or surprises.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver)
She truly is AWESOME. Answers my questions as in a timely manner no matter how silly.
He is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.
No advice in particular. If you are looking for someone to give you a huge and cry with you every appointment. This is not the guy for you. If you are looking for honest and straightforward answers, that's who he is! He knows you don't want to waste any more time, nor does he.
My copay is 100 per visit. Other than that my insurance covers everything else. My prescriptions are about 150/month

Endometriosis, Male Factor
The staff [at PREG- Greenville] as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable on every treatment possible. He explains every single detail to you, and even gives handouts explaining what he is saying. He always makes sure you're comfortable, and knows exactly what the next step is. If you have any concern he addresses it, and comes up with a solution. He is never pushy, and understands this is a hard area of expertise. I am SO glad I found Dr. Payne. I am currently taking a break from treatments, but I will always recommend him to others, and will get back to treatments with him when the time is right.
The staff is very helpful. They always know how to help, and make you feel right at home. They are absolutely the type of people I would like to see at this kind of facility. They are always smiling, and full of joy. That's what you want to see when you are struggling with infertility. They take the best care of you no matter the condition. They never judge, and are always so sweet.
Never doubt what he says. He is very trustworthy. He was made for this job.
Greenville

PREG strengths: multiple locations (Spartanburg and Greenville), flexibility of appointments/scheduling, and compassionate staff. The financial support staff have been very helpful too, and we appreciate that there are multiple financial counselors within each clinic. I have not noticed any weaknesses of this clinic.... PREG has the best nursing staff that I have ever experienced as a patient. They are compassionate and always available the same day if I ever have any questions. They have been encouraging and have really helped me move forward with treatment when I thought I couldn't do it anymore. When we had a miscarriage, they were supportive and even sent us a card in the mail. The entire staff at PREG is wonderful!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols took the time to sit down with my husband and I multiple times to discuss our infertility. He took the time to explain to us the results from our tests/procedures and explain our options. Dr. Nichols, and his entire clinic, made us feel very welcome and hopeful during this infertility journey.
We have felt comfortable at PREG from our very first appointment with Dr. Nichols. He sat with us in his office, explained every step of the process, and answered all of our questions. When it came time to move on to the next phase of treatment, Dr. Nichols was honest and encouraging but also made sure that we knew as patients that it was our decision. We appreciated Dr. Nichols being direct with us. We would recommend (and have) Dr. Nichols to anyone that we know that is going through the same infertility journey as us.
Make sure to have questions prepared prior to your visit. Dr. Nichols is very willing to answer any questions you have and provide his opinion.
My husband and I have been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" meaning we haven't been able to identify anything wrong with either of us. I started taking Femara to attempt to improve the strength of my ovulation since I ovulate on my own. I took 5 mg on cycle days 3-7 and underwent ultrasound on cycle day 12 to check follicles. I then used Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. My husband and I decided to try 4 cycles of the Femara/Ovidrel + timed intercourse. We then completed 3 cycles of Femara/Ovidrel + IUI. Dr. Nichols recommended trying other options after several cycles of timed intercourse if we were ready. We chose to try IUI before moving on to IVF.
Medications: $20 or less (injection costs $110) Ultrasound: $190 (self-pay; not covered under insurance) IUI: $475
Greenville

For my invocell cycle [at PREG] the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200... Great compassionate atmosphere, felt very welcomed from first appointment The only negative is that the wait times can sometimes be long I would say a new patient should come prepared, they give you a lot of information, be proactive in calling ahead to determine insurance coverage. Ask questions all of the staff are happy to answer any question no matter how insignificant it may seem. Voice what your concerns are.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very sympathetic, listened to a my concerns, gave good fair options
The nurse staff at the Spartanburg office is very compassionate, I felt like they all were invested in my case
Dr Payne, in my opinion has a great understanding of the way infertility makes a women feel and even when the outcome was not what I had wanted, and I was devastated was able to point out some positive resolutions, and make me feel at ease. He was very concerned about my feelings, and finding ways to try to make a devestating outcome bearable.
Be sure you ask about every possible outcome, and what you can do to better your success
I chose to do a simply ivf cycle, it was a good option given my testing. During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
For my invocell cycle the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200
Dr. Payne feels it is better for the women, and baby to do a eset

2012 - 2018
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office.... Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care.... Our insurance does not cover anything. Our IUI cycles cost about $1500. Our ivf cycle cost about $18,000. The last 3 frozen transfers have been over $11,000. This has all been paid out of pocket.
2012 - 2018
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office. We love miss Jackie! We miss Monte Ann very much! I do feel like the staff knows us very well.
I feel that doctor Payne cares about me and my husbands care. He has always been kind and gentle no matter what we are going through. We’ve had some very sad news this year and he still has hope for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey (ivf coordinator))
Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care. Fertility complications are so hard and mentally exhausting. Compassion is so important! Sometimes I don’t feel she is confident on explaining what my test results are and what certain labs can mean.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne has been great. We have our sweet daughter because of him and we are so thankful for everything he’s done for us! I have sent many friends to him because we trust him. This year has been very rough with multiple loses and dissapointments. He is constantly trying to find new ways to help us carry another baby!
Make sure you see the Dr and not just a nurse.
We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success! The first frozen cycle was negative; the second resulted in an early miscarriage; the third resulted in a chemical pregnancy.

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
All staff [PREG] that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.... I called to get another medication for my next cycle when my pregnancy test was negative. The ovulation medication was called in
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
All staff that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.
He always rederred to me by my name. He asks questions on how my husband and I are doing related to other daily activities and not just about fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megen)
Megen is very personable, receptive to my comments, and overall wants whats best for me and my husband. She has answered all questions I have had without judgement. She has made sure I understood exactly what was going on and what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols is very personable and attentive to mine and my husbands needs. He was very thorough with his education to us making sure we fully understood the process and steps we have taken and will be taking.
Be patient. Sometimes things don't happen on our time but God's time.
We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle. That was followed up by another ultrasound to see if I had response. When I didn't respond, the medications were increased the next cycle with ultrasound and labs to determine if I responded. I am currently on my 4th cycle of ovulation medications with positive ovulations but no pregnancy.
$40 co pay for every visit.
Greenville

[PREG nursing staff was] Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!... My deducatable had not been met so costs added up to about $700 for me to personally pay for the one IUi because of multiple ultrasounds... Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
An in house nurse able to answer calls or call back as opposed to a nurse line that might be located in another city. More direction in the process of when to call and ovulation tests and when to order ovulation injections.
I felt that he was willing to be flexible and go the extra mile to see me, even though there are so many more women in my shoes
Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!
Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan, giving me the option to wait longer to pursue an IUI. His consultation was detailed and provided me and my husband with lots of information and educational material. I really felt comfortable around him and trusted his input and suggestions.
Be patient and flexible. Ask as many questions as you can to feel comfortable.
I completed one round of Clomid for 5 days right after my period. Unfortunately my cycle was 42 days which was rare for me so I did have to come in for multiple ultrasounds along the way. I did end up with follicles that we’re mature and received and injection right before the IUI was completed. The pregnancy test results were negative and when I came back in for the next cycle I had a large cyst so took a month break. I decided to take another month break with my schedule but plan on going back for my next cycle to try another attempt at IUI if I am not pregnant by then.
Not applicable
Columbia

The nursin staff and the lab staff were amazing. They recognized us every time we walked into the office and they remembered little things about us. They celebrated with us as we went back in for bloodwork after the positive urine test.... We liked everything about this clinic [PREG] except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We liked everything about this clinic except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Dr.Nichols was great at explaining all aspects of fertility and infertility in a way that anyone could understand. He showed us pictures and thoroughly explained testing and procedures. He asked us for our thoughts and how we were feeling about everything he explained to us. He gave us different options and let us make the decision with all of the information he provided. He made sure that we knew exactly what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
It was our very first time at a fertility clinic. We were very nervous and had no idea what to expect, however, Dr. Nichols was wonderful at explaining exactly what was going to happen next. He gave us realistic expectations and helped us develop a plan that we felt comfortable with. He also did a complete evaluation to get more information on what was going on with our bodies and why we couldn’t get pregnant. He didn’t jump to conclusions without the proper testing. He was great at communication or results and gave us several different options for treatment.
Be honest. Go into the visit and explain exactly how you are feeling and what you are expecting. Dr. Nichols will be very upfront with you and he will be honest with you. He doesn’t give you unrealistic expectations, instead he provides you with facts and educates you about what options you have and provides you with the statistics for success. We always felt comfortable leaving and knowing what to expect.
After two years of tryin to conceive, we decided to see Dr. Nichols. He completed a full diagnostic testing to see if he could find a possible reason to why we couldn’t get pregnant. He ran bloodwork, semen analysists, and also did an HSG procedure to check my Fallopian tubes. After the results came back, we got the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. There was no obvious reason they could find as to why we weren’t getting pregnant. He created a treatment plan that my husband and I felt comfortable with. We decided to try femera, the ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. The cycle we were suppose to start the treatment, we actually found out we were pregnant.
We didn’t hve insurance so we paid out of pocket for everything, however, they were aware of that and only ordered the necessary testing.l and helped us get good pricing on medications.

Anovulation, Unexplained
All of the nurses at PREG are wonderful. Also, the financial counselors and blood work ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful.... PREG is a very welcoming fertility center. You leave knowing what your next appointment will be like, what you next steps are, and even knowing the cost of associated procedures. The only bad thing is that the clinic is so busy that sometimes you end up waiting longer than expected.... My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne really seemed interested in providing my husband and I with all of the tools and knowledge needed to become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay P.)
Dr. Payne was so helpful with our process to become pregnant. Even when things didn't go as planned, he was very optimistic in encouraging us to keep going with our treatment. At every IUI and every appointment really, he was so good at making us feel comfortable. My husband is very leery when it come to medical stuff, so it was important to me that Dr. Payne made us both feel comfortable.
Just be patient and let him do whatever he thinks is best for you and your situation. I know it will be hard to go thru the "preliminary" tests, but its all in the best interest of you and your future family!
We started out with Dr. Payne with our first cycle a few years ago. At that time, it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control. After that, we went back and did planned intercourse with 50 mg of Chlomid to start off with. After an unsuccessful three months, we then moved onto three IUI's. After those were also unsuccessful, we ended up at IVF, which was successful on the first try!
My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00 The financial department was really good about listing what the cost of your procedures would be.
Greenville

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
They [PREG] have tried to explain everything as we go. They are very quick to schedule appointments. They have been very kind the last three visits and have been very helpful when I have had questions and had to call more than a handful of times. When you have suffered for 12 years not being able to get pregnant the last thing you want is a doctor or the staff to be dis-caring or rude. This is my first fertility doctor that I have actually seen and I am so glad that God lead me in the direction of Dr. Payne. Again I am just starting my journey with this clinic.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They have tried to explain everything as we go. They are very quick to schedule appointments. They have been very kind the last three visits and have been very helpful when I have had questions and had to call more than a handful of times. When you have suffered for 12 years not being able to get pregnant the last thing you want is a doctor or the staff to be dis-caring or rude. This is my first fertility doctor that I have actually seen and I am so glad that God lead me in the direction of Dr. Payne. Again I am just starting my journey with this clinic.
Dr. Payne took the time to explain all the issues I have with my tubes and low ovarian reserve to both my husband and myself. He explained how we had other options and that we could choose which ever option was best for us. He always clearly stated that he was trying to help us save as much money as we could and that would continue to help us through this whole decision making process. He was very kind and very respectful through the consultation.
I have only had a couple of visits to the office so far. I am just starting my journey with Dr. Payne and his staff at Preg.
Dr. Payne was very kind, he explained everything that was wrong with care. He made us feel like he understood our pain and wanted to help us and not just steal our money. I was very comfortable in his office and I didn't feel rushed or played along. I feel that God sent me to Dr. Payne for a reason.
Trust what he says. And if there is something you don't understand just ask. He is so kind that he will explain everything.
I must loose at least 15 pounds, and Dr. Payne says that I will need to receive an egg donor's egg. I will need to have my tubes removed first since they are blocked and enlarged. Right now I am on a pill to regulate my periods and hormones until I get my surgery done.
For a egg donor's 6 eggs the cost is $12,000 and $1,000 to $1,500 for meds.
Columbia

Preg is a great place to go for anyone having infertility issues. They don’t promise you things they can’t deliver, but they will do everything possible to make the process easy to understand. We always felt hopeful when we left our visits, thanks to the staff’s professionalism, kindness, and upbeat attitudes.... the nurses always were nice to her and helpful. The nurses also told me nice things about my wife they noticed during her visits, which I thought was a great example of patient care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. McCoy was very professional but also went out of his way to explain everything about the treatment plan in an easy to understand manner. He didn’t make false promises or project negativity about any of the results.
I didn’t deal with them too much, as I didn’t need to go as much as my wife. From what I heard from her, the nurses always were nice to her and helpful. The nurses also told me nice things about my wife they noticed during her visits, which I thought was a great example of patient care.
Dr. McCoy can be direct at times but not in a bad way. He made sure we understood the potential outcomes of all treatments and always left us feeling hopeful for the next treatment. If there is anything to improve on, it’s maybe being more available during our visits since we didn’t see him every time. However, we didn’t need to see him every time so that’s not something we hold against him. He’s a great doctor to have during this process.
Be ready with questions because he’ll be able to answer anything you ask.
He prescribed clomid to me (husband) to improve my sperm count with great success. I went from less than 1 or 2 million sperm to close to 200 million. He also prescribed and adjusted medication as needed to my wife to help her regulate her cycle and to ovulate.
IUI was $475. Semen analysis was about $100.
Greenville

The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.... I would recommend that you make sure you have already thought through your questions and have an idea of what you're wanting. It's good to have an open mind, but have a conversation about how far you're willing to go (IVF, egg donor, etc.) and have some questions written down so that you have a direction to take when meeting with the doctor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He took the time to document all the factors to our situation, things we can do to help those factors and how reasonable it was to do them. He answered all of my prying questions :)
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results. However we're just about to begin IVF so not sure what the future holds for us!
Ask questions! Leave with a plan in place.
Looking at all our factors, age, endometriosis, two ovaries, etc. Dr. McCoy looked at all options outside of IVF to give us a chance and was very helpful at giving us percentages. Based on our previous experiences, he made helpful recommendations and the pros and cons of whether to move forward with IVF or not. I appreciate his open mind.
We've just begun the process. It does seem like the charges are high for some appointments, but obviously they factor in that insurance will reduce it.

Tubal Blockage, Other
Weakness [for the Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group]I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.... My Protocol was Gonal F 225 units injection for 9 days , low dose hcg SQ injections 15 unirs a day for 9 days. I started off using microdose Lupton am/pm at 20 units twice daily for 12 days. My hubby and I took keflex 500mg twice a day for 19 days. Took baby aspirin 81mg once daily. Had 2 baseline ultrasound s, and 2 blood tests. Took Medrol 16mg once a day the day after egg retrivel till few days adter transfer. I took a 5mg valium and Feldene 10mg an hour before transfer. The valium did not help , I was still tense and felt everything. I started the progesterone 50mg once a day injection the day after egg retrivel surgery till my 14 day blood test that was negitive.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.
Dr. GAIL IS very caring and understanding with my needs.
They all were caring and helped us .
She is a very good , and caring doctor. She informed my husband and I on every step of the way.She explained everything to us in a gentle way. I will continue to go to her as long as we can. I highly recommend her to everyone!!
Dr. WHITMAN IS A VERY CARING , AND UNDERSTANDING DOCTOR THAT WILL TREAT YOU THE WAY WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
We did the Simply IVF the payment to doctor office was $5500.00. We paid for a sonagraham before we started our cycle it cost us $500.00. Each time we meet the doctor it cost us $90.00 dollars each time.
Columbia

Whenever we called with questions we were sent to a voicemail [at PREG-Greenville]. Every time. Most the time it would take a day to receive a phone call. There was a specific appointment that I was needing to cancel because we were heading out of town, when I asked the nurse what we should do, she made a statement about canceling the ultrasound and how that was not an option, even if I came in two days before. It made no sense to me when I asked further and she had very little to no answers for questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - They are one of maybe 2-3 fertility clinics in the area so they have access to so many patients and have the opportunity to make a difference in these peoples lives. Weaknesses - They run the clinic like a business and the human factor has been lost. I didn't even feel like a patient. Truly disappointing. Do not go to PREG!
Throughout the initial consultation, Dr. Payne barely made eye contact. He blamed that on having to type information into the computer. He spoke so fast that we could barely keep up with what he was saying. A couple of weeks later I received a bill for our initial consult visit and it was around $350 and that did not include the $250 we paid in the office that day for a semen analyis and blood work.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
It was a horrible experience to say the least. We became pregnant naturally on a cycle not being treated, ended up having to terminate due to trisomy diagnosis and when we came back to the clinic there was not one mention or question about it. Back to "the plan" of fertility meds and appointment dates. I could not have felt more " investable" if I tried.
Get a second opinion or find a Doctor that truly can hear your story and help you down the right path.
We only have completely one cycle of femara, ovidrel, TI. This was per John Paynes recommendation after the loss of our pregnancy in the fall. I only received information through a nurse or through the receptionist and very often if I had questions, I was sent to a voicemail.
I still look through our bill records from PREG and some I cannot answer what we paid for. Thats a horrible feeling.
Greenville

I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.