Genetic counseling: Offered
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?

View fewer doctors
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
She [Dr. Gail Whitman-Elia at PREG- Columbia] did talk to us about the pros and cons. She understood that we had our hearts set on trying for twins. Being that we are a homosexual male couple, we were trying to create a pregnancy that had us both involved... I honestly see no weaknesses in them. They are 100% friendly and personable. For example, I walked into the clinic for the first time in 18 months and the front desk staff geeted me by name and asked how my babies were doing.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are well organized and personable. They are extremely knowledgeable and up-to-date with all current forms of treatments available. Please listen to them as they know what they do and are great at what they do. Follow their instruction and you will be successful!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman-Elia seemed to know us and our situation on a personal level no matter how much time had passed between visits. She and her staff mastered the art of telling us the realities of our situation, while also making us feel safe and secure.
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman-Elia was knowledgeable and had a great bedside manner. Even when we were confused about what was happening during a visit, she would take the time to explain why certain things were happening. For example, our surrogate and I are very good friends. The first thing that happened at most visits is that they would place us in separate rooms. This bothered us, however Dr. Whitman-Elia explained that gave her a chance to assess the situation while upholding patient confidentiality. While we may not have liked it at first, she was taking precautions to keep us all safe.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Listen to her and do what she says!
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I do not remember the exact protocol used. I can tell you she used treatments of estrogen orally and injection. It was a 60 day treatment course prior to embryo transfer. She used donor eggs and both mine and my husband's sperm to create embryos. She then implanted one embryo fertilized by my husband and one embryo fertilized by me. Both embryos attached and we now have twins girls. They were born 9 weeks premature due to the fact that they were big babies and had no more room to grow in our surrogate's uterus.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Ballpark of 4 to 5 thousand dollars was paid to the clinic.
Describe Gail Whitman-Elia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
She did talk to us about the pros and cons. She understood that we had our hearts set on trying for twins. Being that we are a homosexual male couple, we were trying to create a pregnancy that had us both involved.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group- Columbia's] Strengths- kind, sympathize with you, they even know us by first names. Very helpful with all my questions and Holly, she is the strongest person there! She is so friendly and no matter what crazy question I have about future costs, she is helpful and so sweet about it. no weaknesses... In the beginning, I called so much and they never seemed bothered. Always kind and pleasant.
2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
My husband saw doctor McCoy first and I went with him. Even though my husband was his patient first he really made me feel welcome. Started my testing right away. Still, as we've moved through the process, Dr. McCoy answers all of our questions in a manner that is on the same level and not above us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy is very honest and told us, we have options you may not like them or agree but we have them. I liked his approach because my past doctors told me to remove my ovaries and that was all the could do. Dr. McCoy was able to provide me with another alternative. We will continue to work with him and PREG in the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
See him with an open mind, listen, and ask questions. Going through IVF is hard from start to finish, and it doesn't get any easier. Dr.McCoy has the same goal in mind but sometimes the plans aren't the same, but he is the expert.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Right now, my husband is on Clomid since 2017. I had endometriosis removal surgery Oct. 2017. After the surgery Dr. McCoy found that our chances were better with donor embryos. We don't have insurance or the funds to afford regular IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IVF treatments are expensive and we have not be able to figure out how we will be able to afford it. We don't have the best insurance coverage, but my husband has diagnostic coverage, I have nothing. I've paid out of pockets so far $4,000 after my surgery.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000
Asheville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic staff [at PREG] is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.... The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging... The plan was to ensure I was healthy and ready for the process. I had surgery to remove endometriosis and fibroids to make my uterus and ready as possible. I then will begin try a round of IUI, my choice. However, Dr. Whitman has recommended IVF or surrogacy due to my many recurrent losses, but that cost is beyond my family’s ability.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.
Dr. Whitman recognized our pain and allowed me to drain my emotions. She did not rush through our sessions and she never made me feel like my questions were stupid. She recognized that for the last 8 years I have been suffering emotionally and physically and needed a physician to really listen to me. She made me feel as if what I had to say was important . The previous physicians did not listen to me and made me feel as if I did not know my body.
The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Thus far I have felt like a valued patient. I have felt that she cared about my emotional and physical health. She was realistic and upfront about our situation. After years of loss and suffering it makes a difference when a physician allows you to cry and share your hopes and dreams. When you feel that you dreams are shattering you need a physician that allows you to have hope or deal with reality.
Dr. Whitman is honest and upfront. If you expect for a doctor to tell you what you want to hear versus the truth, she is not the one for you. If you want a real perspective, guidance and support the Dr. Whitman is it!
Thus far care cost has been reasonable.
Columbia

At PREG, they offer a free second opinion to patients who have saw another provider and wanted additional information about treatment options available. We were able to use this great feature. They have a financial adviser who is able to sit down with you and go over each cost associated with visits and treatments. They are able to run your insurance and provide you with the amount of coverage you have. This was extremely helpful! And if you are eligible they have different refund programs available as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group go out of there way to work with each patient. We were able to reschedule due to schedule conflicts a few times and able to get in for appointments within an acceptable amount of time. Everyone is always very prompt, friendly, and phenomenal! Each person there makes you feel as if they are all invested in your journey. So thankful for the doctors, and clinical staff at Preg.
In the current medical practice environment, physicians face mounting demands on their time. With Dr. Travis McCoy we have never felt pressured in time spent with him. Communication begins from the moment you first meet your doctor. The first consultation we had with Dr. McCoy he listened attentively as we described what brought us to seek his help with infertility. Then he performed a thorough exam, completed a detailed medical history, and based on the information he gathered came up with a detailed plan for our next steps. He not only verbally gave us this information but wrote each step down so we had this to take home for our decision making. Dr. McCoy gives you all your options and supports you in which ever path is right for you and your family. Our first consultation he spent a few hours with us and we never felt rushed. He made us feel as if we were the most important priority he had.
The nursing staff is very welcoming. They have great communication skills. We were highly impressed that after our visit a staff nurse would call to let us know that they knew there was a lot of information covered and if there were any questions or concerns they were there to assist us .
You essentially are able to tell a lot just by the way you have been treated from your first consultation at a clinic. We found that true when spending time with Dr. McCoy. He always makes us feel like your time matters to him. There are never any time constraints or feelings that you are an inconvenience to him. He is a provider who is welcoming to your questions and answers them in great detail. Dr. McCoy always gives us an undeniable feeling of hope and dedication. He truly looks out for the best interest of the patient. When first coming to him we were not under the complete understanding of how severe my endometriosis was and how it played such a part in our infertility journey. Dr. McCoy gave us several different treatment options and through shared decision making he helped guide us to what was the most urgent matter.
Dr. McCoy is very informative he provides you with all the relevant information, for you to select the medical intervention that is right for you. If you have questions ask him. He is a great patient educator.
We are currently in the beginning stages. We have had our initial consultation and a follow-up. Our next step is surgery to remove endometriosis prior to IVF treatment.
Asheville

The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group- Greenville] overall is amazing. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. New patients will see they made the best decision after their first visit. They have encouraging words from other successful patients posted and that is very encouraging.... I have yet to find one complaint about the nursing staff. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. They are like a family.
Latino, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is amazing. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. New patients will see they made the best decision after their first visit. They have encouraging words from other successful patients posted and that is very encouraging.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Everyone in the office is so warm and down to earth.
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr Payne is always very thorough. He explains everything. If myself or husband ask a question, he explains it and is alwsys engaging. He lets us know what the next step is at the end of each visit. He is personable and down to earth.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Be prepared to have a comfortable experience. Going to a fertility doctor can be stressful and make you nervous. Dr. Payne is calming and genuinely nice. All of your fears will fly out of the window when you consult with Dr Payne. Very worth it!
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My husband and I are dealing with male infertility. I have had all testing and passed them all; bloodwork, hysterscope, ultrasound. I do ovulate, I have a regular cycle, my falopian tubes are open, uterus is normal, ovaries loom good and I have plenty of eggs. My husband has low sperm count and motility. He was put on Metformin and now he is on clomid to hopefully boost his count enough to do IVF. (praying the our insurance will cover it) Dr Payne says we could be pregnant by Christmas!
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My copay is $85 The hysterscope was around $300 Bloodwork and ultrasound was around $290 Sperm Analysis was around $100
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

I have had one of my prescriptions not called in on time and went to the pharmacy twice to check on it. ... Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. ... Weakness: I wish the office [PREG] would stay open longer on fridays. ... Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have, well educated nurses, works around my work schedule and even stays open during lunch hours, because it is so hard for me to get in due to working 8-5. Weakness: I wish the office would stay open longer on fridays.
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession.
Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. During my initial consultation with her, she was able to explained the process of ovulation, reproduction, and IVF procedure with me in terms that I can easily understand, as English is not my 1st language. When my 1st cycle of femara did not work as expected she was respectful and help kepted me motivated and hopeful. Love nurse Tori! Nurse practitioner Stephanie is so sweet. She conducted some of my ultrasounds appointments and is very comforting when my results turned out negative. Nurse Lauren is awesome too! She always have a warm personality and calls in my prescriptions so I can pick it up right away. Stephanie, one of the receptionist at the spartanburg office I go to, is the sweetest. She always greets me by name and with a beautiful smile. This is so important because it made me feel like a family member and welcome.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I saw Dr. Nichols for my HSG testing and he was very informative and compassionate. He was able to answer any questions I had and his genuine personality made the atmosphere and my anxiety feel relaxed. For example, my cervix was short so he had to reclamp it a couple of times. He showed his concern by asking how I was feeling and letting me know before hand, you will feel some pressure here or it will feel uncomfortable when I do this but it's not intolerable. He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
Dr. Nichols is very gentle and will treat his patients with respect. His communication is simple to understand.
The treatment I had was HSG testing. My results were normal and both of my fallopian tubes were not blocked. Dr. Nichols also offered ibuprofen in the office prior to the testing due to side effects of stomach cramping that can occur afterwards.
My cost of care was under Dr. Nichols was the fee for HSG testing. It was out of pocket since my insurance do not cover any fertility treatments.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
None
Spartanburg

I really like the fact that they [PREG] have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. ... The office is really nice and clean. ... After our first set of labs, I had not heard back from the clinic with the results. ... It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication. ... The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like the fact that they have multiple doctors that specialize in different areas. They offer free initial consultations and are realistic about expectations. It did take us about a month and a half to get an appointment with Dr. McCoy as his main office is not in West Columbia, but we knew that it was worth the wait. The office is really nice and clean. I have not found a weakness yet!
Dr. McCoy took time prior to our visit to review the medical records that we sent over. He reviewed his medical records with us and explained that his lab work completed by our primary care doctor showed signs of Hypothyroidism which had gone undiagnosed. After carefully reviewing our records and discussing our goals together we created an "action plan".
The nurses have been incredibly caring and do a great job at making me feel like a person and not a number. If we have questions, they either answer them or will find an answer for us. I explained that we had met our yearly out of pocket expenses with health insurance and wanted to take advantage of all procedures that we need to have completed for IVF that our health insurance would cover before the end of the year. That spoke with Dr. McCoy and had no issues beginning that process even though we are not positive we will need IVF at this point. They will do what they can to help us.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I chose Dr. McCoy because at this point we concluded that my husband was the reason we were not becoming pregnant. He did a Facebook live session discussing male infertility, just from watching this session and seeing how knowledgeable I knew I wanted to see him. We have only met with him one time as we are just beginning our journey, but before our appointment, he actually read our medical records! He was very honest about the fact that IVF may be our only option to conceive but did not make us feel that he was trying to "sell" us IVF. He answered all of my questions and provided us with detailed information and together we created an "action plan" to help us get pregnant.
Send all information regarding your and your partner's fertility before your visit.
Currently, we are very early in our treatment. Upon reviewing my husband's prior labs and semen analysis, he felt that there was a hormone issue that could be the leading cause of my husband's low sperm count and possibly issues with his vasectomy reversal, but we needed to start with the production of sperm. Based on recent lab work completed by our primary care provider he gave my husband a prescription for thyroid medicine and then sent us for labs. I was fortunate that my labs were fine but unfortunately, my husbands were not as he is making too much estrogen and not enough testosterone. Dr. McCoy started my husband on medication to suppress his estrogen and told us to come back in one month for additional labs. Fortunately, my husband's hormones are headed in the right direction but are not at an average level yet. He adjusted his medication and he will go back in November for additional lab work and a semen analysis to verify his body is producing sperm.
Currently, we have not paid anything out of pocket due to reaching our cap out of pocket with insurance, but our insurance only covers diagnostic testing and a few other items. It has been explained that it is $12,000 per IVF cycle plus medication.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have not discussed this process.
Greenville

Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they [PREG] can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time. ... All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa has been very thorough with us in discussing each step along the path to pregnancy. He made sure to put things into terms we could understand and he always answers the many questions we have for him. When he can tell we may be worried or concerned, he has been quick to provide positive support and words of encouragement.
All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions. Each nurse has a unique personality and is very good about being super supportive. They have made us laugh and smile and enjoy being there. They have become part of our family!
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa is a good communicator and he makes sure to explain not only the recommended course of treatment but also the reason that course of action was chosen. Dr. Tarnawa always provides us with a thorough explanation of the risks and benefits of the various choices facing us. He is sharp, and I appreciate that he takes the time to fulling explain things to a point we understand them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I would just say the he is very busy and you won't see him at every visit, but rest assured he is involved/supervising every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My wife suffers from PCOS and does not have a regular cycle/doesn't ovulate on her own. Dr. Tarnawa examined her thoroughly and said that we could take medicine that would cause her to ovulate. He explained clomid and letrozole could both cause ovulation. He told us the positives and negatives of using each and allowed us to make the choice. We went with letrozole and after getting a base line reading of her follicle size, we completed a round of the medication and he began to measure her follicles shortly after to see the growth. He wanted a follicle to reach 20 mm. He also made sure to measure her endometrium to see its thickening. My wife's body responded and a follicle measured 20 mm so a trigger shot of ovidrel was administered. We then had an IUI, not the immediately falling day, but the day after that. The first time we discovered she did not ovulate. He increased the dosage amount of the letrozole for the second IUI attempt and followed the same procedure as before. This time she did ovulate and we home tested positive for pregnancy but it ultimately ended up being a chemical pregnancy. We followed the same procedure for our third IUI and got eleven weeks into a pregnancy but miscarried. We just completed our fourth IUI, again following the same procedure of taking letrozole, three 2.5 tablets per day for seven days, measuring follicle growth and endometrium response, doing a trigger shot after one follicle reaches 20mm or more, and the IUI a day and a half later.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have to pay for ultrasounds, blood draws, testing, semen analysis, IUIs, consultations, lab work.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have not engaged in either of those.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Strengths: Clinic [PREG] was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. ... Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses. ... Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path. ...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Clinic was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path.
While visiting Preg is was nice that the nurses and coordinators reminder your name and greet you with a smile. Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses.
The nurses and phlebotomist were always kind especially Deborah. She was always compassionate, understanding, and patient with the many questions I asked.
Dr. Nichols is a very intelligent and thorough doctor. The only downfall is you only get to see him maybe once a month if you are a patient at a Preg clinic outside of Greenville, SC. I have been told he takes phone appointments but i have not had one so i can't really speak to that.
Be aware of his schedule of only visiting Columbia once a month. I wish someone would of explained that to me when I first reached out to Preg.
Protocol was IVF since I previously had 3 unsuccessful IUIs in another clinic in Columbia. However, Dr. Nichols and I talked and wanted to do one more IUI. It was a successful IUI in terms of getting pregnant but unfortunately I miscarried due to a missing chromosome for the fetus.
Cost were cheaper than the other leading clinic in Columbia. But that didn't cheapen the service or the experience.
Columbia

...the clinic [PREG] left something to be desired. ... The people were friendly but it was casual. ... We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up. ... Much higher than anticipated. ... It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive ...
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was extremely please with the doctor but the clinic left something to be desired. I didn't feel like they even knew who I was even though we would be there multiple times a week. The people were friendly but it was casual. I see posts on social media celebrating new pregnancies but other than congratulations you're pregnant I don't remember anyone celebrating it or I didn't feel they were that excited for us. The doctor that filled in for Dr. McCoy for our IUI was a jerk. He was very blunt in telling us it wouldn't work but I was emotional and it was hard to take in at the time. It was several months before I could bring myself to go back to discuss IVF. And during that time no one checked on us, touched base, nothing. Infertility is hard and I didn't feel like the clinic was warm and supportive but Dr. McCoy was and he is the reason we want to go back and try again.
Dr. McCoy was very patient when explaining everything. He spoke with us several times about options before we started treatment. He has met with us already about trying for a second baby from our frozen embryos and was just as informative and patient this time. I was very emotional and his patience helped ease my anxiety.
All of the nurses were nice but I think I saw a different one every time so I didn't get to know the nurses.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was patient, kind and informative. When we started I was unsure if IVF was the right route for us but he took time to meet with us and go thru everything and had a very positive outlook. He was always reachable if I had questions. It's a very emotional situation and he understood that and was patient and kind every time we saw him.
Ask every question you can think of, he will answer it. He will take the time to make you feel comfortable.
Dr. McCoy laid out a plan for treatment, I don't recall the specifics now but go in knowing that it is not set in stone. I wanted a schedule so I could plan around that but your body doesn't work that way. Go in knowing that you will have to go with the flow. My eggs weren't growing as quick as they would've liked and I think I had to do an extra week or hormones before retrieval. I remember Dr. McCoy being concerned that we might only get 10 viable eggs and after the retrieval I had 21! Just be patient and know that Dr. McCoy knows what he is doing and trust that he will help you every way he can.
Much higher than anticipated. Insurance didn't cover anything. Price for the IVF cycle was $11,000 plus labs and drugs. We ended up spending $26,000 total. More than I even thought once I added everything up.
My husband and I had agreed that we would do up to 2 embryos but when Dr. McCoy saw the embryos he came to us and said our embryos were textbook good and only wanted to transfer one. We were nervous because we so badly wanted it to work but he was right, that one was our perfect little boy!
Greenville

Welcoming and kind staff [at Peidmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Welcoming and kind staff. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
Dr. McCoy was very responsive to my questions and needs. He was understanding of the restrictions of my job and worked with me to make my appointments and cycles work (ie phone visits when I could not make office visits). He is very honest about the difficulties we face and is willing to discuss the details of treatments so that I and my husband fully understand.
Very accessible and responsive to questions. Extremely understanding and supportive of me and my husband. I usually see the same nurses at each visit which is great for putting me at ease.
He is understanding, compassionate and honest about the difficulties we face with conceiving. He is easy to get a hold of when needed and responsive to all questions/concerns. He is understanding of the restrictions of my job and works with me to make my cycles possible while continuing to work.
Be sure and ask questions about how your treatment plan s tailored to you. Dr. McCoy is great at explaining this!
IVF cycle: I have low ovarian reserve so my injection dosages where adjusted to try and stimulate as many follicles as possible. My husband unfortunately does not produce sperm so when he underwent testicular exploration to look for sperm, Dr. McCoy advised us to have a backup donor for my IVF cycle. I was closely monitored throughout the cycle with ultrasounds and my retrieval date was moved forward based on my progress. Unfortunately, our single fertilized egg arrested so I could not undergo embryo transfer. IUI: I was placed on high dose and prolonged course of letrozole in conjunction with Gonal F injection x3. Once again this was for my low ovarian reserve and trying to stimulate follicles. My first IUI was unsuccessful and I just completed my second insemination.
My insurance covers much of my fertility treatment costs. Office visit copays are usually less than $50. My IVF cycle was ~$4K upfront and IVF medications were ~$6K. I pay nearly nothing for the IUI cycles.
Columbia

I absolutely loved the nursing staff [at PREG-Spartanburg]. While waiting in the lobby we were constantly asked if we needed anything to make us more comfortable such as a different selection of magazines or a bottle of water. They even apologized to us for the long wait after only waiting 15 minutes to see the doctor.... The billing nurse stayed after hours with us to discuss the difference in cost between tubal reversal and simply IVF. We were told it's cheaper ($7,000 ) to get a tubal reversal, but it might not work due to unforeseen risks. Simply IVF is higher ($7,500), but more likely to work in our condition.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic I visited was very small with about 8 chairs and a table full of different magazines, but at the same time the office was very inviting and cozy. It made me feel confident about the process ahead.
Dr. Payne talked to me like an actual person and broke down possible routes that we can take in order to conceive. He explained the process might be long and hard, but he'll try his best to make our dreams of having a baby reality.
I absolutely loved the nursing staff. While waiting in the lobby we were constantly asked if we needed anything to make us more comfortable such as a different selection of magazines or a bottle of water. They even apologized to us for the long wait after only waiting 15 minutes to see the doctor.
I believe Dr. Payne's strongest strength is his ability to be completely honest. He told us about possible risks and different routes we can take without holding any information back. I look forward to continuing our fertility treatments with Dr. Payne and hopefully conceive a beautiful healthy baby within the next year.
The advice I would give to a prospective patient of Dr. Payne is to be patient and try to have tough skin. He's not like normal doctors that perform different treatments on you to just get paid. Dr. Payne will be honest with you and let you know before you waste your time and money.
Spartanburg

I enjoy when I am able to see the same nurses each time I come [to Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. There was one instance when I saw a nurse I was not familiar with. She was fine but I preferred seeing my usual 2 since we have a rapport....costs for each IUI were almost $500 (not covered by insurance), and each office visit ran $45-$85 (insurance co-pay) depending on the reason. The cost for one cycle of IVF for me personally is looking to run above $20,000.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic is strong in returning phone calls, answering questions, and scheduling appointments in a timely manner. The main frustration is the cost of all the appointments and treatments is not feasible for me without outside help.
Dr. Nichols explains all options in as basic of terms as possible. He is willing to answer any questions and does not mind repeating himself to help me understand the processes and terminology.
I enjoy when I am able to see the same nurses each time I come. There was one instance when I saw a nurse I was not familiar with. She was fine but I preferred seeing my usual 2 since we have a rapport. There was also a lab tech receiving training one day who fainted during my IUI. That was troubling but I don't think it had any effect on the IUI.
Dr. Nichols explains things openly and in as basic of terms as needed. He repeats himself and answers any questions asked. The challenge is there are many unknown factors at this point in the journey and he is not able to provide concrete answers to many "what if" questions.
He is serious but kind.
Dr. Nichols suggested TIC by using letrozol and ovidrel. After that was unsuccessful for 3 cycles he suggested IUI as it had increased percentage of pregnancy, also using letrozole and ovidrel. That was unsuccesful through 3 cycles so he is now suggesting IVF.
Costs for ovidrel injections were over $100 (not covered by insurance) each, costs for each IUI were almost $500 (not covered by insurance), and each office visit ran $45-$85 (insurance co-pay) depending on the reason. The cost for one cycle of IVF for me personally is looking to run above $20,000.
Dr. Nichols has made comments that he does not recommend multiple embryo transfers.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
The office [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.... hey are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all.
European, Middle Eastern, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.
Dr McCoy was extremely thorough & answered all my questions in an informative, concise, yet gentle manner. He was very sensitive as is the subject at hand, which I felt was very appropriate. It was nice to be treated in a considerate kind way while also having all my concerns addressed.
They are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all. The woman had just assumed I was already trying when we haven’t even gotten started yet. I was planning on finishing my last year of graduate school for social work, since I’m physically limited due to multiple extensive spinal fusions and chronic pain, i won’t have the energy time or capacity to finish it once a child arrives. But based on what the first nurse told me, I decided to pull out of the program until we sort out what’s going on. So it turns out I delayed for no reason, which is extremely frustrating.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr McCoy was extremely knowledgeable about endometriosis and my chances of conception. He was very kind and not at all condescending while explaining what was happening to me hormonally. He reassured me with a plan of action that he wrote down for me to follow, including hormonal medications and drawings of what my uterus was going through vs where we want it to be. He gently informed me I’ll eventually need more surgery and explained that he doesn’t take my insurance but that it might pay to just buy a plan for 1 month to make it at least somewhat affordable, since no other surgeon in this area is quite as specialized as him when it comes to good endometriosis removal results. I walked out of the room feeling well informed, cared for, and in control.
Bring a notebook!
He said I don’t need to come back until the moment we are ready to start trying
He said I can’t afford his endometriosis surgery with my insurance that he doesn’t take, and suggested I buy some if I want to see him for the surgery. He has the best results in the area and I don’t want to have to travel out of state.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
Greenville

Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic [PREG] was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
The doctor, nurses and the receptionists at the practice made a point to know me and be supportive during this whole experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikela)
All of the support staff are personable, welcoming, understanding and helpful.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I felt that the dr was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.
Ask all the questions that you need. I think sometimes women don't feel like they can ask for what they need and it's so important to feel like you have a handle on all the different aspects of your fertility.
With my severely diminished egg reserve, the best treatments were oral hormones, ultrasound and hormonal injections to encourage follicle development. We did one cycle "naturally" and then 6 cycles with IUI. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy and we are now looking at IVF.
$35 for oral hormone $100 for Ovidrel shot $180 Ultrasound $475 IUI treatment I can't remember how much the bloodwork was for the lab $100 semen analysis
Asheville

I have no complaints. They are efficient, kind, prompt and prepared for everything from check in to blood work to finance- this clinic will make your experience as stress free as possible. I highly recommend Preg Greenville to everyone ttc.... [nursing staff] are all the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. They put up with a lot of emotions from those of us ttc and they never lose their smiles or helpful attitude. They are willing to help you learn
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols has listened to me every step of the way, and has been extremely kind and caring as he tries to help me get pregnant. He explains everything in a clear concise way, and is willing to work with me on specific requests and feelings about my transfers and the processes. I could not ask for a more intune doctor.
They are all the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. They put up with a lot of emotions from those of us ttc and they never lose their smiles or helpful attitude. They are willing to help you learn (like how to put a shot in your bum) and never complain about having to explain something to you a few times (because that’s a lot of stuff to process!) I love the gals at Preg Greenville from front desk to to finance, I trust them all completely.
Dr. Nichols is everything you would want in a doctor. He is knowledgeable in his field, kind, and considerate of his patients. He works hard to bring about the best positive results, and when things fail (as my 2 IVFs did), he is just as sad as his patient and more determined to make sure everything is adjusted and right for the next try. I would highly recommend him to any one trying to get pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what YOU want. If he doesn’t know something, he will find out and give you an answer, and he is always willing to move in a direction that YOU are comfortable with.
It’s been over a year since my IVF cycles with Dr. Nichols, but as best I can remember: Egg retrieval- hormone injections, clomid for ovulation, ultra sounds to monitor my uterus and ovaries, blood work. Result: 12 embryos Transfer #1: again clomid, injections for ovulation, I can’t remmeber what patches I wore a lot along my stomach, patches and vaginal progesterone (crinone), progesterone shots every three days, ultra sounds, blood work. Result: triggered low as pregnant, a few days later it was negative. Transfer #2: same as above Rationale about all things above was that it was what my body needed for its best chance to conceive.
About 4K for the egg retrieval I think, additional money for medications and 2 transfers (a couple grand each I think) plus all the appointments for blood work and ultrasounds (don’t know the official total) and I’ve just had a hysteroscoy done and that was about $600.
None
Greenville

I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.
Greenville

PREG is a clean, comfortable facility with kind staff. They have multiple, easily accessible locations that make it easy to work with them, even if you live in a different town. They have seen me promptly for every appointment. They are well organized, willing to answer questions, and friendly. ... The 2nd opinion was totally free! ... Every nurse we have worked with has shown us kindness, compassion, and answered questions fully, or found an answer quickly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. McCoy talked to us directly and plainly. He didn't use overly-technical words, and gave us his honest opinion on our treatment with another doctor. He allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and was very sympathetic to our situation.
Every nurse we have worked with has shown us kindness, compassion, and answered questions fully, or found an answer quickly. Many of them have been through infertility themselves, and can empathize on a level that is comforting.
Dr.McCoy discussed our history with us in a way that was easily understandable. He listened closely to our answers, with great follow up questions that allowed him to form a complete understanding of our situation. He offered different courses of treatment, and was very willing to work with us.
Get a second opinion! Dr. McCoy was our second opinion, and even though we haven't conceived (yet!) I do have hope. He will work with you within your comfort zone and financial means.
I've been pregnant three times, and miscarried twice, so we know that I can have a successful pregnancy. We had already spent over $20,000 when we came to Dr. McCoy for a second opinion. He advised using different, less expensive, medications to achieve the same result. He was right! I'm producing quality eggs in good frequency for so much less than we were paying with a more expensive options. It's just a numbers game from here - I believe we will get pregnant!
The 2nd opinion was totally free! Dr. McCoy spent about an hour with us on our first consultation, getting to know us and our history. The treatment at PREG is about 1/2 the cost of the other fertility clinic we used.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
{Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Very new clinic with updated equipment. Not always easy to get in touch with billing coordinator...It is always very cold in the office so I would take a sweater with you to appointments...[nurse was] Always available by phone or email. Returned all calls and emails promptly. Always gave very detailed copies of instructions and protocols...My doctor suggested eSET as we are younger and I am in good health. We have only had success with transferring 2 embryos so we declined single embryo transfer. We were well aware of the risk of multiples and we were willing to accept that risk.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very new clinic with updated equipment. Not always easy to get in touch with billing coordinator. Don’t wear any perfume or anything that smells strong. It is always very cold in the office so I would take a sweater with you to appointments.
She took the time to explain in detail all test results, provided me with options and explained all available options so I could make an informed decision. I never felt rushed at any point in time during any of my cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie)
I was extremely pleased with my care. Dr Whitman-Elia was very compassionate and you could tel she was invested in her patients. She took the time to get to know me and would ask how work and my other children were doing. I always felt very comfortable in her care and never second guessed anything that she suggested.
Make sure you go in with a list of questions to ask. She tends to almost overwhelm you with information but that is because she wants you to have all of the information available. I always took a notepad and would jot down notes from my appointments and any questions that I came up with.
My very first cycle was a fresh cycle. I was on follistim, ganerelix, triggered with a low dose HcG. We ended up with 8 day 3 embryos. 2 arrested and failed to grow. We transferred 2 and froze 4. We got a negative that cycle. As soon as I started my period we started all baseline blood work and did a transfer trial that included a endometrial scratch, lots and lots of estrogen patches, and PIO shots. On the day of transfer we thawed 2 embryos that didn’t survive so we thawed the last 2 and I got pregnant with my now 4 year old son. Fast forward 2 years later we were ready for #2. The office had changed some protocols and now only suggested doing a freeze all cycle and only transferring 5 day embryos. We stuck with the same protocol as the first cycle follistim, ganerelix. We were able to retreive 13 embryos, 8 fertilized and 7 survived to day 5 embryos. We froze all 7 embryos and again as soon as my period came did baseline blood work, trial transfer with embryo scratch, estrogen patches, and PIO. We thawed 2 and they both survived. I have my almost 2 year old son from that cycle. In Nov of 2018 we decided to try again for #3. The Fertility Clinic I started with was called Advanced Fertility but when we started trying for #3 the clinic had been bought by PREG. Luckily Dr Whitman-Elia was still there. PREG had success with different protocols. So we started with initial blood work and baseline ultrasounds. Instead of estrogen patches I was taking oral estrogen as well as vaginal estrogen, there was no endometrial scratch this cycle, and I started PIO 5 days before transfer. We thawed 2 embryos and they both survived the thaw leaving us with 3 left in the freezer. I am currently 17 weeks with baby #3.
Our first 3 cycles were covered under my husbands insurance. He was a state employee and benefits covered 3 transfers at 70%. We paid more for medication than anything. I know with our first fresh cycle we paid $4,200 just for medication and our next retrevial cycle it was 5,000. Our last frozen cycle we were out of pocket minus some of the baseline testing that was covered under insurance. We paid almost 10,000

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The physicians and clinical staff [Piedmont Repro] are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are so great at what they do and turkey compassionate. The physicians and clinical staff are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process. Time sensitivity, as far as completing the process in June and July rather than waiting until September, for example would greatly help their patient experience overall for those who don’t walk in as a wealthy married couple prepared to pay everything on the spot. I am a single mom doing the best I can through my treatment needs for endometriosis and I am exhausting my efforts to have my eggs preserved so that I will have another baby when my body is ready. It’s a shame that something’s would have to be postponed to administrative details rather than justified clinical details. I would recommend new patients to stay on top of the info and process instead of ever letting it go the first 2 months assuming they’re getting the ball rolling on their end only to find out they’re not.
Dr. Payne has spent an extent of time speaking with me about every single one of my questions and going over the full spectrum of details on the plans ahead for the big picture goals of preserving my eggs to avoid having them further compromised by my stage four endometriosis as well as by the treatments I need for that disease. He has taken all of my specific needs and desires in to account with each recommendation and decision making for this process. He is very friendly and he does not rush me at all throughout these inquisitive conversations I hold with him. I am so very thankful that I and my future children are in his hands!
They are so sweet, friendly, understanding, and informative!
He is just a thoughtful and thorough care giver. He is a very highly trained and informed expert in his field, and he covers all of the basis when helping me think out the options I have for my course of treatment and long term goals. He is so friendly and certainly considerate of the sensitivity of my current disease process if stage four endometriosis and of my immense desire to bring another beautiful baby into God’s world. I am so very thankful for his help.
To stay on top of the financial and insurance department that is in charge of preauthorizations in his office, if that is the financial situation that the prospective patient is coming from. Time sensitivity could definitely be improved with those administrative staff members.
We are still in the early stages of progress. We began with the base line scans for ultrasound folical count and lab drawings. Now we have moved on the recallibrating the ovulation scheduled via birth control method. Based on the number of follicles seen, the goal is to complete two cycles if financially possible so that I have enough to possibly freeze a combination of some eggs as well as some embryos, to get be enough chances of some of both remaining viable throughout the process. Once that is completed, we plan to treat me for endometriosis until my body is ready for a healthy pregnancy. I am so eager to experience an intimate pregnancy, carrying my child in me, and the joy of nursing and nurturing my little infant. God knows my heart and desires for this, and all of Dr. Payne’s methods and plans have been circled around this.
I am still in the process of receiving accurate price quote information after 3 months
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Those will be items we get to towards the last stages of the process and I look forward to learning more details about the methods when we are crossing the bridge. I haven’t sought that info yet as we are still starting all of this.
Greenville

From the women at the front desk [PREG] who get me checked in without me even having to remind them who I am, to the phlebotomists who make constant blood draws as comfortable as possible, everyone there has been wonderful to me and my husband during this sometimes scary time. ... The nurses are incredibly kind and patient and always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I cannot say enough nice things about the staff at PREG in Greenville. From the women at the front desk who get me checked in without me even having to remind them who I am, to the phlebotomists who make constant blood draws as comfortable as possible, everyone there has been wonderful to me and my husband during this sometimes scary time. I am not aware of any weaknesses. These men and women answer calls after hours, they're patient with people who are scared and don't know if what they're experiencing is normal or abnormal and they're just so good at treating you like a human. I would 100% recommend PREG to anyone.
Dr. McCoy seems to legitimately care about helping his patients have a child. He was very careful to explain all possible outcomes in a way that was easy to understand.
The nurses are incredibly kind and patient and always willing to answer questions. We even had a nurse who wasn't involved in our transfer pop her head in just to say hello after the procedure and that little moment won't be easily forgotten. Fertility issues are incredibly tough to deal with. Having a team that makes you feel like they genuinely care makes all the difference in the world.
Dr. McCoy did a great job of informing us about the possibilities every step of the way. This is a scary process and the uncertainty is difficult, but we truly felt like he went above and beyond to explain what was going on in great detail and, despite seeing all kinds of outcomes on a regular basis, he seemed to legitimately care that this isn't an easy process.
Ask questions! He's great about trying to answer in the best way that he can. Even in instances when the answer is that he simply doesn't know -- he'll be honest about that.
My husband had a micro-tese to retrieve sperm. Dr. McCoy explained to us that when he went in for his procedure, he would first try to aspirate sperm in an easier way, but the micro-tese might be necessary. It was and doing so gave us the ability to make five embryos. On my side, Dr. McCoy worked to regulate my hormones with gonal-F, birth control, estrogen and progesterone. The idea being that I am a relatively young and healthy individual so we kept things pretty standard. He also frequently mentioned that we could make adjustments if we felt they were necessary for my comfort or our success.
Roughly $25,000 total for my husbands surgery, my egg retrieval, various blood draws and ultrasounds, my medicines and the transfer.
I do not have any comments.

IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
It is easy to become overwhelmed when talking with the financial coordinators at PREG. They sometimes seem un-compassionate. ... Also, they do not give you actual cost until you have had a consultation and ultrasound so you are financially invested. One strength they have is everyone seems to work as a team. Everyone knew exactly where we were in our treatment. The lab staff was excellent and always eased by mind.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It is easy to become overwhelmed when talking with the financial coordinators at PREG. They sometimes seem un-compassionate. I was given a big folder full of pamphlets to read and figure out how to pay for my treatment. It can be a bit confusing. Also, they do not give you actual cost until you have had a consultation and ultrasound so you are financially invested. One strength they have is everyone seems to work as a team. Everyone knew exactly where we were in our treatment. The lab staff was excellent and always eased by mind.
We always feel very welcomed while at PREG. From our first consultation, everyone knew us by name. We are always greeted with a smile and asked how things are going. Dr. Tarnawa spent over an hour at our first consultation getting to know us and our story up to that point. I have always felt that our care was personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
All nurses at PREG are very pleasant and helpful. If you ever have questions about anything there is a nursing voicemail you leave a message in and they will call you back the same day. One negative thing about nurse is she is sometimes delayed in doing things you need such as calling in a prescription.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa always takes the time to explain everything throughly. I am a ob/gyn nurse and was afraid he was going to assume I already knew about IVF. I was wrong. He always takes time to explain everything in great detail. He does not "sugar coat" the negative side of treatments. He explains the risk at each step of the process but he always gives an explanation of how is going to try to avoid any negative outcomes if possible. He does most ultrasounds himself and explains what he is looking out during the scan. He only explains one step of the IVF process at a time. I am a planner therefore I wanted to know what was going on over the following few weeks. Looking back, I appreciate him taking things one step at a time as I feel that it helped me from becoming overwhelmed.
If there is anything you don't understand, ask! He is great at explaining things on a level you can understand. My husband has no medical background but always had a clear understanding of everything when we left PREG.
I don't remember the specific protocol but I do know we use to lupron trigger instead of a HCG trigger. We had 17 eggs at retrieval. 13 were fertilized. 6 made it to day 5 for cryopreservation. We are waiting for transfer at this point.
We do not have fertility coverage so everything was self pay. You must pay the say of your procedure, ultrasound, consultation, etc. The cost they quote you for IVF does not include medications. They give an estimate of what medication will cost. My medication cost more than the estimated amount. They give a breakdown of everything included in the cost of your treatment. Baseline ultrasounds are not included in the cost of IVF.
PREG gives specific guidelines on the number of embryos you can transfer. Typically one embryo is transfered first.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Strengths are everyone's attitudes. Nurses are kind and the staff [PREG] is all on the same page. The clinic is very clean and neat. ...New patients would news to know that they will be taken care of. It's a scary process and the doctors and staff do a great job of making you feel safe and that you will be taken care of. ... [nurses] Very knowledgeable and understanding. Also very upbeat and positive
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are everyone's attitudes. Nurses are kind and the staff is all on the same page. The clinic is very clean and neat. I can't think of any weakness. New patients would news to know that they will be taken care of. It's a scary process and the doctors and staff do a great job of making you feel safe and that you will be taken care of.
Dr. NICHOLS always knew my case when I went in. He was quite blunt with his delivery of bad news but he was very informative and always made sure to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowitz)
Very knowledgeable and understanding. Also very upbeat and positive
He explained things very fast. Going in I didn't know much about the steps and process and I thought he went over everything really fast. He's very knowledgeable and I trusted everything he chose to do. After 1 failed attempt we went in with a different protocol and still did not get the results we wanted. Up next we're going to try and egg donor. He sounds optimistic about this next process.
Have questions prepared because he throws a lot of info at you very quickly and it's difficult to process it all and think of questions.
We did injections of Gonal, microcode lupron, and low dose HCG. The first cycle had lower doses, the 2nd cycle had maximum dosages of the gonal. Similar results were achieved both times. First we retrieved 7 eggs and 2 fertilized. 2nd we retrieved 6 eggs and 1 fertilized. Neither time made it to blastocyst stage so no transfers.
Insurance covered a great deal. We paid a little over 5,000 for the first round. Office visit prior to1st round were around $800 in total. $700 for medication the first round. The second round we paid a $150 office visit and $600 for medications.
We wanted to do 2 eggs transferred. The doctor encourage just one.
Greenville

All of the equipment for treatment and diagnostics are on site which makes treatment convenient. It’s usually pretty easy to get appointment times that fit your schedule, even the same day or a day later. ... Once there was a case of a prescription not being called into the pharmacy but luckily it didn’t affect my treatment timeline. ... For the most part the nurses are wonderful. ... Some of the other nurses were a little less warm, but were always professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is wonderful. Clean, organized, and feels like a spa. All of the equipment for treatment and diagnostics are on site which makes treatment convenient. It’s usually pretty easy to get appointment times that fit your schedule, even the same day or a day later.
Doctor Nichols is always prepared for our visits, having already reviewed test results and prepared literature for us to read. He always presents everything as an option with a recommendation but does not force us into any treatment we are uncomfortable with.
For the most part the nurses are wonderful. Christina was always nice and sympathetic and gentle and never made me feel bad (even when I showed up thinking I was ovulating and I definitely wasn’t). Some of the other nurses were a little less warm, but were always professional.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
In one on one visits, Dr. Nichols was willing to talk about any concerns we had and listened to all of our concerns. He did not sugarcoat but was at the same time professional. I have not yet had the results I would like, but I’m confident I’ll get there with Dr. Nichols.
Come prepared with all of the test results and concerns that you have and be prepared to ask lots of questions if you have them. He will answer as many as you have.
We started with Femara and Metformin, but I was not a good responder. We did a “step up” the first time where we added more Femara without waiting for another cycle. I added injectables since I was not a good responder and upped the dosage each time to get more than one follicle since I didn’t get pregnant with only one follicle. I used a trigger shot to trigger ovulation each cycle.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. ... They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. Preg Columbia also has a great appointment reminder system. Text and emails made sure I didn’t forget! They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me. It was truly comforting to know I wasn’t alone. Weaknesses: none really— I have no complaints.
She and her team listened to my questions and concerns - very kind and good bedside manner
Emilie was so responsive with any concern or question— if she was not available she had another nurse call right away. She was so good to me. I could not have made it without her!! Also the lab ladies are some of the best around. They have made each lab a joy and I look forward to seeing them. They are always so encouraging!!!
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Gail is very knowledgeable in her field... as a breast cancer survivor it was important that she had success file experience with such patients. She was aggressive with treatment but not so much as to put my health in jeopardy. Very kind, but frank and good bedside manner.
Trust her experience... even if you do not get the outcome you want right away- she is committed to your success but it can take a few cycles.
We tried timed intercourse which is least invasive, with medication as well as Iui cycles medicated. We were financially and mentally ready for IVF so we made the decision to go that direction with her help.
The package for Ivf was $15,000 meds around $4000 , iui and semen analysis and storage perhaps $1500
I understand why they do wear however we only had one fertilized embryo on day 5 so it would not have mattered
Columbia

The clinic [PREG-Spartanburg] has a great staff and team of doctors. There has always been excellent communication regarding treatments and appointments with the nursing staff. The doctors are caring and committed to your success. The only recommendations i would have would be updating the office interior to be a bit more welcoming and comfortable.... The nursing staff is consistently compassionate and communicative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has a great staff and team of doctors. There has always been excellent communication regarding treatments and appointments with the nursing staff. The doctors are caring and committed to your success. The only recommendations i would have would be updating the office interior to be a bit more welcoming and comfortable.
The entire staff at PREG has been wonderful. Dr. Payne gave us his undivided attention from the initial consultation through all the troubling cycles. We never felt rushed or ignored, and he always made time to discuss our feelings and options along the way. The nurses and office staff were respectful and encouraging at all times.
The nursing staff is consistently compassionate and communicative.
Dr. Payne is a great doctor. He is detailed in his explanations and what our options are moving forward. He is honest with the results of treatments and tests, and alters treatment as needed after discussing with me. I am always treated with respect and patience, knowing that my treatment and success is important to Dr. Payne.
Ask any and all questions you may have. Don't be afraid to be open and honest with him. He will take the time to make sure he understands your goals and wishes and create a treatment plan that works for you. He is very honest and straightforward in a respectful way, which i appreciate. We have had no false expectations of the treatment plan, and always know the risks.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and went through several cycles being treated with Metformin and Clomid with no ovulation before coming to Dr. Payne. Dr. Payne ran a full panel of blood work, ultrasound and egg reserve count, and Hysterosalpingogram after our initial consultation. I started a cycle continuing with Metformin and adding Letrozole with follicle scans to monitor possible ovulation. With no success, Estridol was added to the cycles and the Letrozole dosage was increased along with continued follicle scans and blood tests for ovulation. Ovidrel shots were added once there was a large enough dominant follicle confirmed, and ovulation was successful during 2 cycles, but neither resulted in pregnancy. FSH and LH shots were added to several cycles in combination with all other medications and Ovidrel shot. Ovulation was successful one time, with no pregnancy. The doses were increased with each round, but my ovaries actually became less responsive with the last 2 cycles of increased dosages. Dr. Payne discussed these results openly and honestly with me, and together we made the decision to take a brief break from treatments to let my body rest and focus on health through nutrition and exercise. He was open and honest with expectations and his guidance for timelines.
Costs were billed to my insurance company, and any remaining balances were billed to me directly. Staff made all efforts to ensure treatments were as effective and affordable as possible.
not applicable to my experience

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
[PREG- Ashevile is] Easy to find, clear communication and honest feedback. Make sure to call your insurance to find out how they handle infertility. From bloodwork to appointments, each one is diffrent. PREG lets you know what to call about beforehand and is very honest about cost structures.... I have a homogeneous folic acid mutation and thyroid issue. I am on folate, thyroid and baby aspirin every day now. My blood work is now normal after 6 weeks of taking the meds. I just finished 1 round of fermera and will take an injection tomorrow to help ovulation. I will then start with progesterone hoping for a positive.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Before we came to PREG we had 2 miscarriages and felt as if we were getting nowhere. In addition, my OBGYN and staff treated me like a wounded animal. This was SO different when going to PREG and seeing Dr. Nicoles. He was confident in his responses and assured me that he was going to help us figure this out. He did look at me like I was broken. He was direct yet soft. Trust me, after 3 years of trying and multiple pregnancy losses, you just want someone on your team with honest and straightforward communication. I felt heard yet he did not tiptoe around the facts, which was a breath of fresh air! Most importantly you hear horror stories of fertility clinics taking advantage of your desire for children so they charge you at every corner.....PREG is 100% not that. They are aware of the cost and the impact of your family at EVERY appointment. Even blood work. Being "new" to the infertility world it has been awesome to know they will be honest and fair. No mistruths or surprises.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver)
She truly is AWESOME. Answers my questions as in a timely manner no matter how silly.
He is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.
No advice in particular. If you are looking for someone to give you a huge and cry with you every appointment. This is not the guy for you. If you are looking for honest and straightforward answers, that's who he is! He knows you don't want to waste any more time, nor does he.
My copay is 100 per visit. Other than that my insurance covers everything else. My prescriptions are about 150/month

Endometriosis, Male Factor
The staff [at PREG- Greenville] as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable on every treatment possible. He explains every single detail to you, and even gives handouts explaining what he is saying. He always makes sure you're comfortable, and knows exactly what the next step is. If you have any concern he addresses it, and comes up with a solution. He is never pushy, and understands this is a hard area of expertise. I am SO glad I found Dr. Payne. I am currently taking a break from treatments, but I will always recommend him to others, and will get back to treatments with him when the time is right.
The staff is very helpful. They always know how to help, and make you feel right at home. They are absolutely the type of people I would like to see at this kind of facility. They are always smiling, and full of joy. That's what you want to see when you are struggling with infertility. They take the best care of you no matter the condition. They never judge, and are always so sweet.
Never doubt what he says. He is very trustworthy. He was made for this job.
Greenville

PREG strengths: multiple locations (Spartanburg and Greenville), flexibility of appointments/scheduling, and compassionate staff. The financial support staff have been very helpful too, and we appreciate that there are multiple financial counselors within each clinic. I have not noticed any weaknesses of this clinic.... PREG has the best nursing staff that I have ever experienced as a patient. They are compassionate and always available the same day if I ever have any questions. They have been encouraging and have really helped me move forward with treatment when I thought I couldn't do it anymore. When we had a miscarriage, they were supportive and even sent us a card in the mail. The entire staff at PREG is wonderful!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols took the time to sit down with my husband and I multiple times to discuss our infertility. He took the time to explain to us the results from our tests/procedures and explain our options. Dr. Nichols, and his entire clinic, made us feel very welcome and hopeful during this infertility journey.
We have felt comfortable at PREG from our very first appointment with Dr. Nichols. He sat with us in his office, explained every step of the process, and answered all of our questions. When it came time to move on to the next phase of treatment, Dr. Nichols was honest and encouraging but also made sure that we knew as patients that it was our decision. We appreciated Dr. Nichols being direct with us. We would recommend (and have) Dr. Nichols to anyone that we know that is going through the same infertility journey as us.
Make sure to have questions prepared prior to your visit. Dr. Nichols is very willing to answer any questions you have and provide his opinion.
My husband and I have been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" meaning we haven't been able to identify anything wrong with either of us. I started taking Femara to attempt to improve the strength of my ovulation since I ovulate on my own. I took 5 mg on cycle days 3-7 and underwent ultrasound on cycle day 12 to check follicles. I then used Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. My husband and I decided to try 4 cycles of the Femara/Ovidrel + timed intercourse. We then completed 3 cycles of Femara/Ovidrel + IUI. Dr. Nichols recommended trying other options after several cycles of timed intercourse if we were ready. We chose to try IUI before moving on to IVF.
Medications: $20 or less (injection costs $110) Ultrasound: $190 (self-pay; not covered under insurance) IUI: $475
Greenville

For my invocell cycle [at PREG] the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200... Great compassionate atmosphere, felt very welcomed from first appointment The only negative is that the wait times can sometimes be long I would say a new patient should come prepared, they give you a lot of information, be proactive in calling ahead to determine insurance coverage. Ask questions all of the staff are happy to answer any question no matter how insignificant it may seem. Voice what your concerns are.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very sympathetic, listened to a my concerns, gave good fair options
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
The nurse staff at the Spartanburg office is very compassionate, I felt like they all were invested in my case
Dr Payne, in my opinion has a great understanding of the way infertility makes a women feel and even when the outcome was not what I had wanted, and I was devastated was able to point out some positive resolutions, and make me feel at ease. He was very concerned about my feelings, and finding ways to try to make a devestating outcome bearable.
Be sure you ask about every possible outcome, and what you can do to better your success
I chose to do a simply ivf cycle, it was a good option given my testing. During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
For my invocell cycle the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200
Dr. Payne feels it is better for the women, and baby to do a eset

2012 - 2018
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office.... Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care.... Our insurance does not cover anything. Our IUI cycles cost about $1500. Our ivf cycle cost about $18,000. The last 3 frozen transfers have been over $11,000. This has all been paid out of pocket.
2012 - 2018
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office. We love miss Jackie! We miss Monte Ann very much! I do feel like the staff knows us very well.
I feel that doctor Payne cares about me and my husbands care. He has always been kind and gentle no matter what we are going through. We’ve had some very sad news this year and he still has hope for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey (ivf coordinator))
Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care. Fertility complications are so hard and mentally exhausting. Compassion is so important! Sometimes I don’t feel she is confident on explaining what my test results are and what certain labs can mean.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne has been great. We have our sweet daughter because of him and we are so thankful for everything he’s done for us! I have sent many friends to him because we trust him. This year has been very rough with multiple loses and dissapointments. He is constantly trying to find new ways to help us carry another baby!
Make sure you see the Dr and not just a nurse.
We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success! The first frozen cycle was negative; the second resulted in an early miscarriage; the third resulted in a chemical pregnancy.

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
All staff [PREG] that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.... I called to get another medication for my next cycle when my pregnancy test was negative. The ovulation medication was called in
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
All staff that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.
He always rederred to me by my name. He asks questions on how my husband and I are doing related to other daily activities and not just about fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megen)
Megen is very personable, receptive to my comments, and overall wants whats best for me and my husband. She has answered all questions I have had without judgement. She has made sure I understood exactly what was going on and what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols is very personable and attentive to mine and my husbands needs. He was very thorough with his education to us making sure we fully understood the process and steps we have taken and will be taking.
Be patient. Sometimes things don't happen on our time but God's time.
We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle. That was followed up by another ultrasound to see if I had response. When I didn't respond, the medications were increased the next cycle with ultrasound and labs to determine if I responded. I am currently on my 4th cycle of ovulation medications with positive ovulations but no pregnancy.
$40 co pay for every visit.
Greenville

[PREG nursing staff was] Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!... My deducatable had not been met so costs added up to about $700 for me to personally pay for the one IUi because of multiple ultrasounds... Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
An in house nurse able to answer calls or call back as opposed to a nurse line that might be located in another city. More direction in the process of when to call and ovulation tests and when to order ovulation injections.
I felt that he was willing to be flexible and go the extra mile to see me, even though there are so many more women in my shoes
Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!
Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan, giving me the option to wait longer to pursue an IUI. His consultation was detailed and provided me and my husband with lots of information and educational material. I really felt comfortable around him and trusted his input and suggestions.
Be patient and flexible. Ask as many questions as you can to feel comfortable.
I completed one round of Clomid for 5 days right after my period. Unfortunately my cycle was 42 days which was rare for me so I did have to come in for multiple ultrasounds along the way. I did end up with follicles that we’re mature and received and injection right before the IUI was completed. The pregnancy test results were negative and when I came back in for the next cycle I had a large cyst so took a month break. I decided to take another month break with my schedule but plan on going back for my next cycle to try another attempt at IUI if I am not pregnant by then.
Not applicable
Columbia

The nursin staff and the lab staff were amazing. They recognized us every time we walked into the office and they remembered little things about us. They celebrated with us as we went back in for bloodwork after the positive urine test.... We liked everything about this clinic [PREG] except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We liked everything about this clinic except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
Dr.Nichols was great at explaining all aspects of fertility and infertility in a way that anyone could understand. He showed us pictures and thoroughly explained testing and procedures. He asked us for our thoughts and how we were feeling about everything he explained to us. He gave us different options and let us make the decision with all of the information he provided. He made sure that we knew exactly what to expect.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
It was our very first time at a fertility clinic. We were very nervous and had no idea what to expect, however, Dr. Nichols was wonderful at explaining exactly what was going to happen next. He gave us realistic expectations and helped us develop a plan that we felt comfortable with. He also did a complete evaluation to get more information on what was going on with our bodies and why we couldn’t get pregnant. He didn’t jump to conclusions without the proper testing. He was great at communication or results and gave us several different options for treatment.
Be honest. Go into the visit and explain exactly how you are feeling and what you are expecting. Dr. Nichols will be very upfront with you and he will be honest with you. He doesn’t give you unrealistic expectations, instead he provides you with facts and educates you about what options you have and provides you with the statistics for success. We always felt comfortable leaving and knowing what to expect.
After two years of tryin to conceive, we decided to see Dr. Nichols. He completed a full diagnostic testing to see if he could find a possible reason to why we couldn’t get pregnant. He ran bloodwork, semen analysists, and also did an HSG procedure to check my Fallopian tubes. After the results came back, we got the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. There was no obvious reason they could find as to why we weren’t getting pregnant. He created a treatment plan that my husband and I felt comfortable with. We decided to try femera, the ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. The cycle we were suppose to start the treatment, we actually found out we were pregnant.
We didn’t hve insurance so we paid out of pocket for everything, however, they were aware of that and only ordered the necessary testing.l and helped us get good pricing on medications.

Anovulation, Unexplained
All of the nurses at PREG are wonderful. Also, the financial counselors and blood work ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful.... PREG is a very welcoming fertility center. You leave knowing what your next appointment will be like, what you next steps are, and even knowing the cost of associated procedures. The only bad thing is that the clinic is so busy that sometimes you end up waiting longer than expected.... My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne really seemed interested in providing my husband and I with all of the tools and knowledge needed to become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay P.)
Dr. Payne was so helpful with our process to become pregnant. Even when things didn't go as planned, he was very optimistic in encouraging us to keep going with our treatment. At every IUI and every appointment really, he was so good at making us feel comfortable. My husband is very leery when it come to medical stuff, so it was important to me that Dr. Payne made us both feel comfortable.
Just be patient and let him do whatever he thinks is best for you and your situation. I know it will be hard to go thru the "preliminary" tests, but its all in the best interest of you and your future family!
We started out with Dr. Payne with our first cycle a few years ago. At that time, it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control. After that, we went back and did planned intercourse with 50 mg of Chlomid to start off with. After an unsuccessful three months, we then moved onto three IUI's. After those were also unsuccessful, we ended up at IVF, which was successful on the first try!
My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00 The financial department was really good about listing what the cost of your procedures would be.
Greenville

Preg is a great place to go for anyone having infertility issues. They don’t promise you things they can’t deliver, but they will do everything possible to make the process easy to understand. We always felt hopeful when we left our visits, thanks to the staff’s professionalism, kindness, and upbeat attitudes.... the nurses always were nice to her and helpful. The nurses also told me nice things about my wife they noticed during her visits, which I thought was a great example of patient care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. McCoy was very professional but also went out of his way to explain everything about the treatment plan in an easy to understand manner. He didn’t make false promises or project negativity about any of the results.
I didn’t deal with them too much, as I didn’t need to go as much as my wife. From what I heard from her, the nurses always were nice to her and helpful. The nurses also told me nice things about my wife they noticed during her visits, which I thought was a great example of patient care.
Dr. McCoy can be direct at times but not in a bad way. He made sure we understood the potential outcomes of all treatments and always left us feeling hopeful for the next treatment. If there is anything to improve on, it’s maybe being more available during our visits since we didn’t see him every time. However, we didn’t need to see him every time so that’s not something we hold against him. He’s a great doctor to have during this process.
Be ready with questions because he’ll be able to answer anything you ask.
He prescribed clomid to me (husband) to improve my sperm count with great success. I went from less than 1 or 2 million sperm to close to 200 million. He also prescribed and adjusted medication as needed to my wife to help her regulate her cycle and to ovulate.
IUI was $475. Semen analysis was about $100.
Greenville

The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.... I would recommend that you make sure you have already thought through your questions and have an idea of what you're wanting. It's good to have an open mind, but have a conversation about how far you're willing to go (IVF, egg donor, etc.) and have some questions written down so that you have a direction to take when meeting with the doctor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He took the time to document all the factors to our situation, things we can do to help those factors and how reasonable it was to do them. He answered all of my prying questions :)
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results. However we're just about to begin IVF so not sure what the future holds for us!
Ask questions! Leave with a plan in place.
Looking at all our factors, age, endometriosis, two ovaries, etc. Dr. McCoy looked at all options outside of IVF to give us a chance and was very helpful at giving us percentages. Based on our previous experiences, he made helpful recommendations and the pros and cons of whether to move forward with IVF or not. I appreciate his open mind.
We've just begun the process. It does seem like the charges are high for some appointments, but obviously they factor in that insurance will reduce it.

Tubal Blockage, Other
Weakness [for the Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group]I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.... My Protocol was Gonal F 225 units injection for 9 days , low dose hcg SQ injections 15 unirs a day for 9 days. I started off using microdose Lupton am/pm at 20 units twice daily for 12 days. My hubby and I took keflex 500mg twice a day for 19 days. Took baby aspirin 81mg once daily. Had 2 baseline ultrasound s, and 2 blood tests. Took Medrol 16mg once a day the day after egg retrivel till few days adter transfer. I took a 5mg valium and Feldene 10mg an hour before transfer. The valium did not help , I was still tense and felt everything. I started the progesterone 50mg once a day injection the day after egg retrivel surgery till my 14 day blood test that was negitive.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.
Dr. GAIL IS very caring and understanding with my needs.
They all were caring and helped us .
She is a very good , and caring doctor. She informed my husband and I on every step of the way.She explained everything to us in a gentle way. I will continue to go to her as long as we can. I highly recommend her to everyone!!
Dr. WHITMAN IS A VERY CARING , AND UNDERSTANDING DOCTOR THAT WILL TREAT YOU THE WAY WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
We did the Simply IVF the payment to doctor office was $5500.00. We paid for a sonagraham before we started our cycle it cost us $500.00. Each time we meet the doctor it cost us $90.00 dollars each time.
Columbia

I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
Asheville

I honestly don’t think they [PREG-Greenville] have any weaknesses. I have been 2 other places and this is by fast far the best. The communicate well, treat you like a human and not a number, care for your well-being. Even the financial department is on top of things with getting back to people and being on top of things with patience. I honestly could not have picked a better doctor.
European, Native American, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly don’t think they have any weaknesses. I have been 2 other places and this is by fast far the best. The communicate well, treat you like a human and not a number, care for your well-being. Even the financial department is on top of things with getting back to people and being on top of things with patience. I honestly could not have picked a better doctor.
He does not hide his thoughts or feelings and I straight forward with you! He understands you are not just away for him to get paid but a human going through something.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Meagan )
The nurse I was assigned personally emails me so it’s a faster response than having to call in. If I email with a question I get a response with in an hr or 2. All the nurses are extremely caring and nice.
He was amazing! I have been doing treatments for 5 1/2 years and he is the first doctor to straight out tell me the regular treatments aren’t going to work! He listens and thoroughly answers any questions or concerns. I feel he truely cares for his patience!
Prepare for straight forward and honest but a simply amazing doctor.
Every treatment he started with progesterone to help start a cycle. Then follow up with clomed and the last cycle added gonal f.
I have never had to big of a bill from this office. We are hopefully going to try IVF. We had an understanding we were covered with insurance and were ready to go with it and today got a call that our employer changed policies in the new year and we are no longer covered. The office is working diligently with us to figure out a solution.
Greenville

Every nurse and care coordinator [at PREG-Greenville] that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are how well they help you plan and how fast they follow-up with any questions or concerns. A new patient would need to know that they will have to be flexible with schedule times. All of the treatments are scheduled on specific days, so if you work, you will need to possibly take time off for certain treatments. Sometimes, it's a hardship that the Asheville clinic is only open half a day on Fridays.
Dr. Nichols and his staff are always friendly and willing to help you with anything you need. Any time you call with a question or concern, they are always helpful and get back to you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla)
Every nurse and care coordinator that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Dr. Nichols is very thorough with his explanations and answers all questions. Sometimes he goes a little too fast with all the information. As with any doctor's office, you have to be your own advocate and ask questions if you don't understand certain process/procedures. The whole fertility treatment process can be very overwhelming, and he is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Make sure you ask questions about anything you don't understand. He goes very fast with the information, and it can be a little overwhelming. Also, be aware that he doesn't do all the procedures himself. A lot of patient care and treatments are carried out by the nursing staff even though you pay co-pays as if you are seeing a specialist.
Dr. Nichols used the Pre Univfy report to help determine the best options for fertility care. He went over the report and started with the basic treatment of clomid with ovidrel shot and timed intercourse. After two timed intercourse treatments failed, we then moved into the clomid/ovidrel/IUI treatment process. After two of those failed treatments and a year of trying to conceive, we met back with Dr. Nichols to discuss possible IVF treatments. During most of this time, treatment options and treatment procedures were carried out by nursing staff.
My insurance does not pay for many of the treatments at PREG. However, they did provide me with a Compassionate Care card to help save on ovidrel shots. They also have provided me with financing information if I proceed with IVF. Financial data was presented up front after my initial appointment.
Even though he didn't mention "eSET", he did discuss not transferring more than one embryo at a time to prevent multiples.
Greenville
I found the majority of the nurses [at PREG-Greenville] to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic stays on top of each case and are always quick to answer any and all questions you have. They treat you with respect and are sensitive to the nature of why you’re receiving fertility treatments. They do have multiple offices in various locations. I found it confusing when calling my office and reaching another location, only to be transferred back to my office. That situation complicated instances of calling nurses who’d left messages for me to call. It’s a minor complaint, but I always warn people I’ve referred to how their phone system operates. I’d prefer to call my location and talk to someone there.
Dr. Payne was very open and honest about our treatment plan. I always had a lot of questions and he was very patient in answering each one of them. He made us feel as though he truly cared about our desire to have children.
I found the majority of the nurses to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Having gone through prior fertility consultations with unpleasant doctors, my expectations of my initial visit with Dr. Payne were extremely low. I had such a hesitation about meeting him and listening to his plan. I vividly remember walking into his office stone faced as if that would help protect me from the cold natured doctor’s I had seen in the past. I was a broken, infertile woman and didn’t know that in just an hour, my perception of fertility treatments would be changed forever. As we talked about my case and IVF being our only option to conceive, I asked him if he thought it would work for us. I’ll never forget the optimist sound in his voice when he told me he absolutely thought we had a great chance of getting pregnant through IVF. Right there sitting in his office, the wall came down and so did the tears. Dr. Payne had just given my husband and me hope! It was something that I’d lost in the 4 years of trying to conceive. My struggle didn’t end that. I went on to miscarry twins and have a negative frozen embryo transfer, but Dr. Payne has been by our side throughout the entire process. He unexpectedly called me at home to see how I was handling the news that I was going to miscarry and if I had any questions because he had not been in the office that day and wanted to check on me. . He went above and beyond, but that is the kind of doctor he is. He will always be special to our family because he helped us have our son. We’ve since tranfered more embryos and have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant again. We are out of frozen embryos and will need to do another egg retrieval to start again. Dr. Payne has yet again reached out to see how we’re doing and if we’re ready to start the process again. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop by saying I’ve referred several of my closest friends to Dr. Payne, and I think that speaks volumes as to how much I value him as my doctor.
Don’t hesitate in scheduling an appointment with him. He has your best in mind and will work tirelessly to help you reach your goal.
With each IVF cycle, I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos. I took a 10 antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. One fresh embryo was transferred and split, but I miscarried the twins. Several months later, I began prepping for our frozen embryos transfer. It began with birth control, Lupron and progesterone injections as well as estrogen patches. I also took the 10 day antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. We became pregnant and the progesterone injections and estrogen patches continued until about 10 weeks pregnant. Our last and most recent transfer was a little different. I took birth control, estrogen tablets both orally and vaginally and progesterone injections. The antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone protocol remained the same.
The first egg retrieval and fresh transfer were approximately $12,000 (excluding medication costs). The second transfer with frozen embryo was approximately $3,000 and the most recent frozen transfer was about $3,300.
If the embryo looks good or great, Dr. Payne highly recommends transferring a single embryo. He tries to avoid multiples at all costs. However, my husband and I transferred two embryos for two of our transfers. Dr. Payne respected our decision and supported us.
Greenville

The nurses and our coordinator [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
They [PREG-Greenville] are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
I don’t feel rushed during our appointments and he is very thorough with his explanations
They are very helpful and friendly. They greet me with a smile and always ask how they can assist me. They are a great support for the doctors
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was very knowledgeable in my medical concerns and gave his honest opinion of what treatment he thinks will work best. He wasn’t pushy with his recommendation and wasn’t irritated or annoyed with my notebook full of questions.
To be open minded and positive. Infertility is a sensitive issue. Trust his judgement but also listen to your gut. You know your body better than anyone else.
When we first met we had to test out my hug from my ectopic. We then started with letrozole once it was determined I was t ovulating due to irregular periods. An HSG was preformed to ensure my fallopian gives weren’t blocked and it was confirmed they were open and my uterus appeared in good shape. I took letrozole for four cycles with timed intercourse. A trigger shot was administered on the third cycle. We took a break this month and will try again in December. We have not fallen pregnant yet but we are extremely hopeful
We are currently $2000 or so in and have more treatments since we are not yet pregnant

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
MiKayla [a nurse at PREG- Asheville] is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.... Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful.
European, Other
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I enjoy PREG. Unfortunately they don't take parents from self pay patients, so that's made us have to take a break with treatments, but that's the only negative I have to say about PREG. They are always nice and helpful on the phone. Wait times are super fast from the lobby. Office is always clean and quiet. I've been to Asheville, Spartanburg, and Greenville offices.
Whether I or my husband were seeing Dr McCoy that day, he acted as if we had just talked to him the day before. He was always friendly, positive, and knowledgeable. He is very smart, but easy to talk to. Very personable and listens.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: MiKayla)
MiKayla is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.
Dr McCoy is a very intelligent man, but doesn't treat you like you're just some number to him. He is caring and compassionate. He takes time to listen to you and your concerns. You definitely do not feel rushed to get out of his office. He answers all questions and gives you hope to your situation. He's a very busy provider and his schedule proves that, but you don't get that sense of rush when you are in front of him. He is also a top notch surgeon who gave me hope when several other providers only had bad news. I had to go into surgery to fix one issue, but he made sure to check other things out in there to prevent having to go back in later.
He is very busy, so be patient. He is worth the wait.
Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful. Taking a break at this time due to finances.
While I had insurance, I didn't have to pay anything other than copay. Once we lost insurance, we had to pay $475 up front for both IUI procedures.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Every single staff member (doctors, nurses, office staff) [PREG] have been genuinely nice and considerate. Return phone calls take a few days if it's not an immediate medical issue. On the other side of that, an immediate medical issue will get you a return call in less than twenty-four hours.... The test for ovarian reserve wasn't ordered until almost a year into treatment. I had a nurse not call in my Letrozole once.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Every single staff member (doctors, nurses, office staff) have been genuinely nice and considerate. Return phone calls take a few days if it's not an immediate medical issue. On the other side of that, an immediate medical issue will get you a return call in less than twenty-four hours.
I never, ever leave the office with questions. Half the time Dr. McCoy answers my questions before I even ask them.
I have zero negative comments about the nursing staff. The three nurses that I've seen have all been amazing.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
My experience as a patient has been excellent in regards to Dr. McCoy. With upsetting news he has been matter of fact, which is what I personally need from my doctor. I always know what my options are and what, exactly, is involved with each option.
If you need to be coddled as a patient you may want to look elsewhere. Dr. McCoy is excellent but there isn't a lot of handholding.
At first we didn't really know what was wrong so we tried Letrozole with a trigger shot for a few cycles. It seemed like I was producing follicles but there was no resulting pregnancy. We moved on and did a few more tests to find that I have low AMH. Our options became to continue the Letrozole with trigger, IVF with my own eggs, or IVF with donor eggs. We haven't started IVF yet so I can't really say what the results are.
My insurance paid a portion of each visit so I can't really give an idea of what care looks like without insurance. I can say that one IVF cycle is going to cost around $6500 out of pocket with insurance paying 80% and not including medications.
Dr. McCoy is strongly against transferring more than one embryo for me.

1 IVF, Surrogacy
The nursing staff [at PREG- Columbia] has been great at explaining and answering questions that I had after my appointments. She went over medications very well and we had no problems with that. I got responsives right away with any questions.... To be honest they have no weaknesses other then I would have liked to get more updates on my embryos while they were growing. The staff was great and understanding. The appointments went well without much wait and the were prepared for your visit each time.
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I felt like a human because the staff has been so great with answering my questions. I saw Dr. Edward Tarnawa under Dr. Pynne. He has great bedside manner and I never thought I would ever get the chance to do IVF which is my only way of being a mom. That office has made it possible.
The nursing staff has been great at explaining and answering questions that I had after my appointments. She went over medications very well and we had no problems with that. I got responsives right away with any questions.
Dr Tarnawa was the main doctor I saw and he is great. He did a great job with my medications and retrieval. He understands MRKH very well and I felt safe and that maybe one day I can be a mom. He was understanding to my questions and I never had to wait for any visits with him. He went over risk and outcomes very well.
This practice is understanding and caring and treats you as a patient with helping your dreams come true one day even through the ups and downs.
I was started on birth control and went through a 14 day cycle with Gonal F 375 and HCG 10 unties then it went to 20. Then we did cetrotide and triggered with lupron. We had great results with 22 eggs with 16 fertilized but only 2 made it to the blast stage to be frozen before we follow up with dr Payne for my serogent to get the all clear for transfer. I was explained all risk and had very few side effects and retrieval was very easy.
My retrieval was around 13,000 with medications and my transfer will be around 9,200.00 without medication cost added in yet.
I feel that since I only have two embryos that we could transfer the 2 because of cost and that this would be our only shot because of the high cost of transfer. Our transfer will be 9,200.00 alone and we have just paid about 13,000 for my meds and retrieval. I am hoping it works this one time.

Anovulation, Unexplained
The nurses were fantastic at PREG. They all spent time talking to me and lifting my spirits. If I ever called the office, they got back to me quickly, and with an answer. The clinic was nice and kept clean, and the office staff was also polite.... It would be awesome if the office had earlier or later hours. With my job, it was very hard to get an appointment, and I had to miss work often for visits. Overall they are all great. I feel like they are very quick to get back with you and explain everything well. I wish they were open to trying more patient specific care plans instead of sticking to protocols. Every patient t is different and therefore requires different elements and levels of care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
During our visits, I felt Dr. Nichols was very honest. Like myself, I believe he was frustrated that things were not progressing with me. Unfortunately, I didn’t feel a lot of positive energy at a time when I really needed it. I feel as if he really pushes towards IVF when sometimes there may be a simpler solution. I still do not know what is causing my infertility, and am not pregnant after trying for 2 years. I wish that I would have had more time to talk to him one-on-one, but during each visit I felt rushed. However, I do really appreciate him being honest and not giving me false hope.
The nursing staff is great! Very kind and thoughtful to patients situations. Description further in previous comment section.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols explained in previous comment sections. The nurses were fantastic at PREG. They all spent time talking to me and lifting my spirits. If I ever called the office, they got back to me quickly, and with an answer. The clinic was nice and kept clean, and the office staff was also polite.
I would tell someone to prepare themselves because nothing will be sugar coated. I left in tears after almost every visit at PREG. Not because of Dr. Nichols or the staff, but just due to whole situation. I would just tell them to prepare mentally and to stay positive during this difficult time!
I underswent 6 rounds of femara. A few of those included injectables and trigger shots. I also had an IUI with trigger shot. Towards the finally rounds I took femara for more days. He wanted me to start on day 3. I had very little response until my final round. I asked if I could also take prednisone with the femara ( I read that helps), and estrogen. He agreed to that and I had three mature follicles. Unfortunately, I never was able to get pregnant.
I believe I spent under 5k
Greenville

The staff at PREG is amazing. I can go to them and ask them anything. They get back to me quickly with answers.... Simply IVF was about $5000 and The first IVF with FET was about $10000 with $5000 in medications. The second FET was $3500 with about $2000 in medications. I expect our upcoming third try to be the same. I also had a D&C that was about $500.... Strengths are communication and knowledge. The only weakness I have found is that a previous doctor that was extremely rude to me is now working with them. Luckily I have not had to interact with her at all.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Doctor Nichols and his team take the time to sit with us and tell me and my husband every result and every chance we have. He’s honest but still shows how much hope we have.
I don’t have any complaints about Dr Nichols. He has been great. He is straight forward and helpful. We are still going through the treatment process and we get explanations and updates every time we go into the office. If I want to just sit down with Dr Nichols he makes time for us.
Ask questions. Make sure you understand everything before you leave the office. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable and will answer everything.
I had already been to two doctors before Dr Nichols. I had been through timed intercourse and IUI. We first tried simply IVF because it was a new process that was cheaper and was known to work with PCOS. That resulted in no fertilized eggs. Next we moved to full IVF. We got 6 embryos and attempted a transfer. I was pregnant but miscarried at about 7 weeks. We just recently tried another FET and it resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We will be trying our third FET with two embryos in the next few months as our doctor thinks it will give us a better chance to go to full term.
My insurance does not cover IVF so I pay out of pocket. Simply IVF was about $5000 and The first IVF with FET was about $10000 with $5000 in medications. The second FET was $3500 with about $2000 in medications. I expect our upcoming third try to be the same. I also had a D&C that was about $500.
Our doctor was careful not to suggest multiple embryo transfers until we had two failed attempts. He has explained the risks and benefits in detail and did not pressure us to choose what he thought was best.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
Everyone smiles [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] , they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit...Megan [nurse] was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease...This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see. I love the atmosphere there. Front desk staff are very nice and genuine, being sure to take care of you as soon as you walk in. The bathrooms are always clean, something we all want at a doctor's office. The rooms are always very neat, clean, and prepared for the patient. Last but not least, check out is a breeze. Everyone smiles, they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit.
Dr. McCoy met with me individually, with my partner, explained and wrote things out. He spoke to us with care and concern, expressing his feelings about what could or could not happen. He was very direct and open, which is something I prefer. I appreciated knowing every little detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease. Megan cared for me each time I had an appointment. She would even come out into the lobby to talk to me until I was called back, then go to meet me in back. We have a phenomenal relationship and I hope to get an opportunity to try again just to see Megan!
Dr. McCoy was very detailed, showed his experience in his field, explained in detail about the process and what to expect, good or bad. He also used paper to draw things out to clarify even more, to be sure my partner and I understood everything in front of us.
Lay it all out for him. Tell him EXACTLY what you want.
I do not remember the exact protocol.
The cost for the IUI was expensive for me, but I TRULY want to be a mother so I used my savings to pay for it out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it. Also, the donor sperm is much more expensive. I have 2 best friends that I have been previously sexually active with years ago, that agreed to be my sperm donor, but I'm not very clear on what happened with that. It would have been more cost efficient for me.
Greenville
They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations.
Columbia
The main weakness [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
As far as strengths go, I feel like PREG is above and beyond when it comes to modern treatments and is a leader in reproductive health and education. I truly feel like it's the place to go when you want help to reach your dream of having children. The main weakness would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Dr. Nichols always treated me like a human, not just a numbered patient. There was a personal aspect to all of our interactions and I appreciated the fact that he always greeted me by name, asked how I was, and gave me genuine information to help me made the best decisions.
I want to single out Meghan because she was so wonderful to me throughout my IUI treatments. I called multiple times with questions that would come up and she was always so responsive and kind in her replies and answers. I felt like she truly cared about me and my results. She showed compassion during visits when she was my nurse, and made me feel less afraid and disheartened.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols always provided me with all of the information I needed to make the best decisions regarding my course of treatment. He did not sugar coat anything or give me false hope and I appreciated his candidness. He also told me that sometimes all things can be in line and look great and it still just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future.
I would say tell him your desires and then listen with an open mind as he goes over your test results with you and what he thinks might be the best choice for you as far as treatments go. He is so knowledgeable and I so appreciated his wisdom and expertise as I entered a world that I previously knew nothing about. It's a scary experience - but he makes it not so scary and easier to navigate.
First, he recommended that my spouse see a doctor at the clinic so that we could get his count in a good place (great results and increase in count, motility, etc.) While my husband was going working on his side of things, Dr. Nichols made sure I was getting started with everything I needed to do for myself (prenatal vitamins, metformin, blood work, femara, etc). My follicle scans were planned and I responded favorably each time, which made me feel great.
Insurance did not cover any fertility treatments for me, so all of my expenses are out of pocket. It is quite expensive, but I was aware that fertility treatments are costly.
I did not participate in any of this.
Greenville

They [PREG] are very friendly, they learn your name quickly. ... Because they do this everyday I think they forget the newbies do not know all of they terms, and that can be scary. ... She does an excellent job explaining what they are doing and why. She is always friendly and willing to answer any questions. This is time when we went in for an IUI I had great follicles but my husband's sperm count was very low. She knew I was concerned so she gave her option and told us she would give us a my minute to decide. She was not pushy at all. The first thing she asks every time we meet is " how are you feeling? How did you do this month? Do you have any questions?"
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very friendly, they learn your name quickly. You as a patient need to research as much as you can about what you are going through so that you can be prepared to ask questions. Make sure you fully understand what all the blood work means and the lingo. Because they do this everyday I think they forget the newbies do not know all of they terms, and that can be scary.
Although he was blunt he did show compassion and understood our heartache and struggle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Michaela)
He is very factual and can answer the questions that you ask. He likes to make sure you understand why you are doing the procedures that you are and what to expect if they do not go as planned. He will then rethinking meds and procedures according to your history. He will let you know the options and give you the freedom to choose your next step without judgement.
Have questions ready to ask ahead of time. Let him know up front your concerns.
Every month when I start my period I call. They then send in my famara to my local pharmacy and my gonal f / ovidrel injections to Mandel's pharmacy. On days 3- 8 I take famara, on days 6-9 I take my gonal f injections. On day 10 I go in for an ultrasound ( because I'm an early ovulater) if I have mature follicles they will give me my ovidrel injections. I then go back 24hr later for my IUI procedure. One week from then I go to get blood work done to check my progesterone level to make sure I ovulated. A week later I am to take a pregnancy test.
Doctor visits are about $80, untrasounds $50, IUI $575, gonal f $375, ovidrel $107, famara $6.
Asheville

I spent more time with the nurses [PREG] having to come in and run tests and get blood drawn. They were always pleasant and made a sensitive situation easier to handle. The whole staff was really nice and patient. They were also responsive with my questions. ... Great clinic and staff. Easy to get to and having the convenience of going to Greenville or Spartanburg helped since my husband worked in Spartanburg and I worked in Greenville.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic and staff. Easy to get to and having the convenience of going to Greenville or Spartanburg helped since my husband worked in Spartanburg and I worked in Greenville. Both clinics were clean and had a pleasant environment.
Dr. Payne seemed to genuinely care for his patients.
I spent more time with the nurses having to come in and run tests and get blood drawn. They were always pleasant and made a sensitive situation easier to handle. The whole staff was really nice and patient. They were also responsive with my questions.
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable and knows exactly what he is talking about. He does a great job at adjusting your plan when complications arise. He is quick to get you in and out of the appt. Dr. is honest about diagnosis and is very transparent on what next steps should be. I was thankful that he was so honest with my and my age and statistics. I would rather have that than waste time trying without treatment.
Write down all of your questions and make sure to ask them all at your visit. Do not leave without asking what you needed to ask. There are no stupid questions.
Dr. Payne started out giving me clomid and Fermara as treatement first with a trigger shot at time of ovulation. This was to see if I just needed a little help in the beginning. He wanted to start off small. With unexplained fertility it could just be that I need an extra boost rather than go immediately to IVF which is costly. After 3 cycles of meds we tried meds with IUI two times. This was the best next step because everything was working properly then maybe helping get the sperm closer would help. This was still a viable option that could be successful that wasn't as costly as IVF.
The costs to find out if we had fertility issues was covered by my insurance, but the costs for treatment was paid out of pocket 100%
2014 - 2018
Most of the financial help [from PREG-Spartanburg] is given to people needing donated eggs and sperm, and not when you are trying to use your own. The availability to get an appointment is very reasonable. The clinical personel is good but the nursing staff is the highlight of the PREG organization. I also love Faith Ripley she works in the Greenville office and is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She is the chief financial officer and helped me to understand the basic principles of making this dream a reality. There is so much reproductive jargon it will make your head spin. Faith is a good person and great advocate for families struggling with infertility
2014 - 2018
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Most of the financial help is given to people needing donated eggs and sperm, and not when you are trying to use your own. The availability to get an appointment is very reasonable. The clinical personel is good but the nursing staff is the highlight of the PREG organization. I also love Faith Ripley she works in the Greenville office and is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She is the chief financial officer and helped me to understand the basic principles of making this dream a reality. There is so much reproductive jargon it will make your head spin. Faith is a good person and great advocate for families struggling with infertility.
I never felt like a number with Dr. Payne. He always looked me in the eye and told me the honest truth about my probability of having a live birth. I was completely satisfied with the care he gave my husband and me.
Stephanie was ALWAYS caring and took time to answer my questions. I felt very comfortable with her during vaginal ultrasounds and labwork. She was my cheerleader and a good listener. It truly was Stephanie's attitude and care that gave me the courage to keep trying. When I took a break she would always ask me if i was ok and come in and try again. I know a sceptic would say that is her job to get people in for treatment....but it felt different with her.
Dr. Payne was very straight forward and honest about the difficulties involving PCOS. He explained that my ovaries had a surplus of immature follicles that needed hormones to function correctly. The problem with IVF and PCOS is that the ovaries can become over stimulated much easier. Dr. Payne kept a close eye on me with multiple ultrasounds and labwork to make sure that my ovaries stayed healthy. After I had multiple follicles measuring greater than 19mm we planned the retrieval. Dr. McCoy did the retrieval and removed a polyp. I was able to do a fresh a fresh transfer with one embryo. It was successful!!!! I now have a healthy and beautiful 10mo baby girl.
Don't get discouraged with the financial aspect, it will all work out! Be patient with your body and the doctors. The doctors have your best interest in mind and want you to succeed and have a family.
We had to pay 7500 up front before treatment could begin. Then my insurance paid for a portion of thg e procedures and ultrasounds. I had to pay out of pocket for all of the injections and medication needed for the IVF process. We did not qualify for financial help due to our combined income. We also had to pay 400 for a cryo storage fee. I thought this was very expensive just to store our embryos. Im not sure how they figure that cost...I would still like to be educated on that process.
I did have an emotional discussion with Dr. McCoy about a multiple embryo transfer. He was totally against the idea. He said he would never put more than one embryo in a patient with my background. I have high bloodpressure and on meds for diabetes. He said that a single healthy pregnancy is what I needed. The i had very good quality embryos and that a multiple baby pregnancy was not good for me. I cried and thought that only using one embryo was a waste of time. I was wrong! The embryo attached and grew and became a healthy baby. You must have a good bit of Faith to get through the process.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
PREG is a wonderful clinic with great staff. I would recommend them to anyone who is having difficulty conceiving a child. I have been blown away by the compassion and care I have received during my months with them. ... She is very comforting and walked me through my most recent ultrasound with precision. I fell very comfortable in her care. ... Minimal [costs] currently, except for my genetic testing. I was unprepared for that cost. It was about $650.00 out of pocket
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He is very knowledgeable but when my care was transferred to him from the NP in the office (who I requested originally) he was preforming the HSG test. He diagnosed me with a unicorniate uterus but it was very unexpected and he was also caught off guard. It was a hard little while. Other than that experience (which was not totally 100% his fault in that situation) he has been great!
He is very knowledgeable about fertility medicine, I don't doubt that if I am able to get pregnant that he will be the doctor to help me. Sometimes it feels like he can rush just a little. It's nothing I would mention to him but I can feel like he has others waiting on me. My husband does not feel this way, I would like to add. I always prefer working with an NP/PA and that is why I started with Victoria in the office, she seemed to move at a little slower pace. I also had a bad experience as a young adult with a male OB/GYN during a procedure and that might also be some of the underlying issue.
Be prepared for a lot of information at once.
I am on two Ovidril pills in the evening during my early cycle days and time intercourse. I have a tendency to be anxious and have some strong emotions so with that in mind we choose not to put me on Clomid. I am also on a trigger shot, this is because I have trouble ovulating.
Minimal currently, except for my genetic testing. I was unprepared for that cost. It was about $650.00 out of pocket

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [PREG] is very warm and inviting especially when a patient can feel nervous and desperate for information. The waiting times are not long at all and I felt very comfortable for each of my visits. ... The nursing staff and coordinator were very pleasant to work with. I initially had to postpone my first surgery date because of other medical treatments I was under. They were very understanding and I was able to rebook my surgery soon after.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very warm and inviting especially when a patient can feel nervous and desperate for information. The waiting times are not long at all and I felt very comfortable for each of my visits.
Dr. McCoy took his time to explain everything in great detail to me, even when I asked the same questions more than once. He is very patient and kind and I never felt rushed. He genuinely seemed concerned if I was unsure or confused about my process.
I can’t say enough about Dr. McCoy. He is a God send. Another doctor that I had seen in Spartanburg recommended me having a hysterectomy after I was hospitalized for fibroids and an enlarged uterus. Because I have never had children in the past so this was not an option for me but my doctor didn’t really refer me to any specialist or point me in the direction of different options for me. So luckily, a friend had mentioned that she used PREG and she was able to conceive with IVF. I made an appointment with them and started my journey to learning other options. After tests and MRI I was told that I had many many fibroids and these needed to be removed before any other treatment could be done for me. I met with Dr. McCoy and he discussed options of removing these fibroids. My main concern was that I wanted to preserve my uterus as much as possible to be able to possibly carry to term with the help of IVF. Any option other than a hysterectomy was something I needed to hear. I also was very fearful that my surgery needed to be done the old fashion way to remove them (surgically cutting and removing them leaving a scare several inches long) versus robotic surgery which was minimal scaring with no hospital stay and shorter down time. Dr. McCoy assured me that he was able to remove my many fibroids robotically and that there should be no complications. He made it sound like it would be a walk in the park which it pretty much was. Dr McCoy ended up removing 31 fibroids from my uterus, yes THIRTY ONE!!!! Later, he told me that my uterus would be normal again after the healing process which was not long, and that I would be able to carry my own child. It was truly amazing to hear this news needless to say. It was recommended that I try to conceive without IVF for a few months and if I was not able to conceive then I would return for the IVF process. To date I have not been able to get pregnant on my own which I knew would most likely be the case. I plan on returning this fall/winter to start IVF with PREG. Without the carrying staff and Dr. McCoy at PREG I would have most likely had a hysterectomy and would have never had the opportunity to have and carry my own baby. I cannot thank them enough!!!
Trust him fully. I was so worried but after speaking with him many times via telephone and office visits I knew he was my only hope.
I will be returning for IVF treatment
Greenville

Everyone in the office [PREG] is so friendly and positive! I love the energy!... Be prepared to meet the happiest, positive outlooking, genuine people you’ll ever meet! From the moment walking in the door, I was nervous as this is not something easy to discuss with someone and everyone met with me a smile and asking genuinely how we are and let us know through every step, they’re here for us. I loved knowing that a lot of people working there started as patients so they’ve been in our shoes and understand where we are in this stage of life compared to someone not knowing what struggles come with infertility
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He always took the time to assess our needs, desires and wants- along with respecting our desire to take a break after 6 months of treatment with no positive pregnancy tests
Everyone in the office is so friendly and positive! I love the energy!
Dr Nichols was very warm, friendly, attentive and caring when it came to such a sensitive matter of infertility and not understanding why we have not had a pregnancy yet when all our results came back with normal numbers.
Spend more time with clients, we only visited a few times and both times were under 15 minutes since he knew our chart and name
We started our first month with femera and ovidrill trigger shots, throughout the next 6 months we adjusted dosage of femera to promote more eggs, this was taken on days 5-10 of my cycle- we followed up with the shot on the first day of a positive ovulation test. I came in for routine ultra sounds to also know when to trigger and time inter course. We have not had any success with this. Dr Nichols suggested our next step being IUI or IVF, we just cannot afford the extra $600/month for this.
Our insurance does not cover infertility treatments, everything has been out of pocket and on average costing $500/month for medications, ultra sounds, appointments, and blood draws- our next steps are IVF or IUI but we’d be looking at a minimum additional $600/month on top of what we were already paying.
Greenville

Strengths are they are all very kind, helpful and caring [at PREG-Greenville]. All very smart and know what they are doing and talking about. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable in an circumstance. Honestly I do not have anything to say about weaknesses.... Megan [at nurse] is wonderful, very helpful with not smoking and just very encouraging.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are they are all very kind, helpful and caring. All very smart and know what they are doing and talking about. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable in an circumstance. Honestly I do not have anything to say about weaknesses.
He is very direct and will let you know truth. Very positive and genuinely nice and caring.
Megan is wonderful, very helpful with not smoking and just very encouraging.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols shows concern for his patients, he is caring and wants the best outcome for the patients. He is blunt and honest and will tell you what you need to do in order to help your body to become pregnant. He has influenced me to stop smoking and start exercising. I have been to other fertility docs and no one compares to Dr. Nichols.
He knows what he is doing. He is very well educated with infertility issues and will do whatever he can in order for patients to have their dream come true. He always wants to make the patient comfortable and not do anything that the patient would not want to do or be uncomfortable with.
I have done 4 or 5 femara cycles with Dr. Nichols. After the first month on meds, it didn't seem to work as hoped as far as how my eggs were growing and the size. After the first round he bumped me to a higher dosage and i responded greatly to it. I had multiple eggs the next 4 months but no pregnancy. This is my fifth round on femara again with the ovidrel shot which I have been doing all cycles too. I met with another doctor due to Dr. Nichols not being in and he thinks I may need the laparoscopic surgery to see if there is any underlying issue going on. This is the stage where I am at now.
Not too bad, the ultrasounds get pretty expensive when you are doing them every 4 weeks but other than that it has not been terrible.
Greenville

[The nurses at PREG-Greenville are] Very frendly and knowledgeable but there were times when I went in for my CD13 ultrasound and they did not know what protocol I was on (timed intercourse vs IUI) once I corrected them they were very apologetic and helped me through the next steps but be sure you know what your plan is that Dr. Payne laid it for you. Some of the nurses are not very good at giving all the details you might need, they assume you know what you’re doing. But on the other hand they have other nurses that are awesome and go over everything that you need to do next. It’s just hit or miss. If you have a nurse who doesn’t explain don’t be afraid to ask for more details they’ll g