Genetic counseling: Offered
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?

View fewer doctors
He [Dr. Nichols] was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options...supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions...performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me.
Didn't hear back from one of the doctors [at PREG] for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me. For our consultation appointment to go over next steps, after 3 cycles with meds and timed intercourse and 2 IUI's, he was prepared with all of my previous treatment history and had already printed out information and stats IVF and how it would work for me. He was sensitive and supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options.
The two main nurses I've worked with were helpful and compassionate. One was more calm and seemed more caring than the other (but, it was probably a personality preference). Unfortunately, at our first IUI they were short staffed and someone who was filling in at the lab copied my husbands name wrong and wrote the wrong name on his sperm sample. It made for a pretty stressful and upsetting procedure, especially since it was our first time doing an IUI. The next two IUI's went really well and the calmer nurse did them. Overall, I think the nursing staff is sensitive and compassionate and do a great job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses: Way too cold in the clinic (especially when you're having to get undressed for procedures), have had to wait over an hour for a consultation and an IUI, unfriendly secretary when I expressed my concern about wait time (but the other two were friendly!), short window of time to get blood-work done when they were training a new staff member, Didn't hear back from one of the doctors for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule

Endometriosis, Male Factor
[Dr. Travis McCoy] gave me his email and told me to email him at anytime...did a nice job explaining things and adjusting the plan in attempt to get our desired results. there was a few times I was uncertain of what would happen next or what to do next but I felt that fell under his nurses responsibilities instead of his...My husband was put on clomid for low sperm count and mobility currently awaiting the results for that. I was put on a Lupron Depo shot for 3 months to help with endometriosis. I was not retested for endometriosis but pains did go away.prior to finding out I had endometriosis he scheduled a biopsy which led to the results of finding out I had endometriosis.
The staff there [at PREG] are always very friendly. Everyone greets you and you're in the building with a nice smile. Once you've been there a couple of times they call you by name which makes you feel that there is a closer relationship there and makes you feel more welcome. They try to work you in with blood work as much as possible and give you answers promptly when possible. the biggest concern that I have was not knowing what was coming next or what to do next and timelines.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Doctor McCoy did a nice job explaining things and adjusting the plan in attempt to get our desired results. there was a few times I was uncertain of what would happen next or what to do next but I felt that fell under his nurses responsibilities instead of his.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He explained things. He gave me his email and told me to email him at anytime and he reaponded.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Burnes)
Catherine is very good about replying to emails although there were times I felt like I didn't know what to expect next or what to do. Therewas a time where an appointment with supposed to be scheduled but we were unaware of that which put us into a longer wait time. She is very nice. there are times I feel like we aren't giving information as far as what are labs are (numbers, lining thickness etc) but I'm not sure if that falls under her category or someone else's responsibility.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff there are always very friendly. Everyone greets you and you're in the building with a nice smile. Once you've been there a couple of times they call you by name which makes you feel that there is a closer relationship there and makes you feel more welcome. They try to work you in with blood work as much as possible and give you answers promptly when possible. the biggest concern that I have was not knowing what was coming next or what to do next and timelines.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Most appointments were easy to schedule and done right after labs. Everything went smooth although results were not usually told at the time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I don't remember.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is clearly very knowledgeable and takes as much time as needed to answer questions to ensure you have an u understanding or next steps in the treatment plan. He shows a great deal of empathy to his patients and helps calm nerves and fears with his demeanor.... For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo.
The doctors [at PREG] are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.... The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask all your questions becasue he will answer and not make you feel rushed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne himself has a wonderful bedside manner and is calm and always reassuring during what has been a stressful and highly emotional period of time. However, the IVF coordinator and front desk associates do not display the same attitude towards patients in my opinion. I was just "work" to them and did not feel they shared the same empathy that Dr. Payne displays.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo. PGS tested revealed it was an abnormal embryo so no transfer was completed. At the follow up, he prescribed 2 months of diminished ovarian reserve supplements a d said IVF cycle 2 would not include ovarian suppression and a lupron shot would be added to my protocol. Currently waiting to start IVF cycle 2.
The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different. The IVF coordinator seemed rushed and lacked compassion in my opinion. Questions seemed to be an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The doctors are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had some insurance coverage but still had to pay out of pocket approximately $15,000 for my first round of IVF which failed. I was not given any type or refund si ce I had insurance and will pay the same for our upcoming round of IVF.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Generally, the practice is single embryo transfer. The policy makes sense to me and I have had no reason to question it.

2 IUI, IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
There is not a single nurse at PREG that I wouldn't be happy to see when I walked in. Every one of them operates with compassion and care. The environment at PREG really helps take your mind off of the devastation of wondering if you'll ever be able to have a baby. I am so incredibly grateful that PREG was the office first recommended to us.... Strengths: Compassion, thorough explanations of what is being done and why, offering options, not judging the choices you make along the way
2 IUI, IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
I would absolutely recommend Dr. McCoy to someone I love who needs assistance in conceiving. Both my husband and I felt like he would continue trying various options until we found something that worked. On top of that, he was immediately accepting of our decision to switch to IUI with donor sperm when we still had another embryo left. After four embryos didn't work out, we felt a new direction was right for us and he did not discourage us. I fully believe I'm 31 weeks pregnant now because he and my husband were willing to let me trust my body to try a different way.
Ask any questions you have. He's willing to answer and he'll take the time to explain in laymen's terms so you don't leave confused.
Dr. McCoy made us comfortable from day one.
We came to Dr. McCoy knowing my husband had a zero sperm count. We learned quickly that he would need a surgery to determine whether he wasn't making sperm at all or they were blocked by a trauma from a surgery he had as an infant. We made plans for him to have that surgery within days of me having an egg retrieval so we could prepare embryos for later frozen transfers. Dr. McCoy was able to collect some sperm and we ended up with five embryos to freeze. We tried three FET rounds. The first ended in miscarriage, but the embryo did not show any genetic issues. The second didn't take and the third, with two embryos, also didn't take. After some reevaluation, Dr. McCoy offered a few options including a procedure to determine if I have endometriosis. My husband and I felt like maybe the quality of the embryos just wasn't good enough, something we knew might be a possibility from the beginning. So we decided to try IUI with donor sperm. We did that twice. On the second try, it worked. I am now almost 32 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Compassion, thorough explanations of what is being done and why, offering options, not judging the choices you make along the way Weaknesses: It's hard to think of anything. Fertility treatments are very expensive and we are lucky to have the help of family and a stable financial situation, but I hope PREG has a way to work with families who aren't so lucky. No one should be denied a child just because they can't afford to go into major debt to become a parent.
We paid somewhere between $35-40k total for my IVF, FET and IUI cycles as well as my husband's sperm retrieval surgery

IUI, 1 IVF
Aggressive microdose flare protocol [with Dr. John Payne] - same protocol that was used during our successful cycle in 2017...good about taking into account individual cases and needs...went out of his way to make sure he was the doctor who did our transfer, although his schedule was busy that day and he could have let another doctor at the practice perform it. He also took a lot of time to meet with us prior to starting the cycle to make sure we understood all our options and that he answered all of our questions.
The clinic [PREG] does prefer eSET but in our case they recommended transferring two embryos. They are good about taking into account individual cases and needs...As a returning patient, I felt much more comfortable and knew what to expect. I also felt like wait times were significantly reduced, although that could be because my appointment times were different this time. I do think PREG has a ton of patients, so as a new patient, that could be overwhelming.
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Payne is a great doctor and I would recommend him. He takes time with each patient to make sure that all questions are answered and that each patient understands the treatment plan. If he has any fault, it's that he sometimes is behind schedule because he takes too much time with patients.
Have all your questions ready, and take notes - he does talk fast, but he gives thorough information and is not afraid to address questions.
Dr. Payne went out of his way to make sure he was the doctor who did our transfer, although his schedule was busy that day and he could have let another doctor at the practice perform it. He also took a lot of time to meet with us prior to starting the cycle to make sure we understood all our options and that he answered all of our questions.
Aggressive microdose flare protocol - same protocol that was used during our successful cycle in 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay is the IVF coordinator at PREG and she is wonderful. No complaints. I did have one nurse that I felt uncomfortable with on our egg retrieval day, but I don't remember her name. I felt that she did not have a good bedside manner and wasn't willing to address our questions when presented with some disappointing and potentially confusing information. I felt like she talked down to me. I haven't experienced this from other staff members at PREG.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
$15,000 flat fee that included most items, but did not include initial baseline appointment.
The clinic does prefer eSET but in our case they recommended transferring two embryos. They are good about taking into account individual cases and needs.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

The clinic [PREG] was very flexible and they made special adjustments for me due to my work schedule. I was always greeted by the front desk staff and they would automatically check me in. One weakness was that the clinic did lose a staff member that handled insurance/billing and she was really good. ... The nurses were very patient and kind. They responded back to calls in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The first time I met with Dr. Tarnawa was during my chemical pregnancy. It was urgent that I came in for a ulItrasound to make sure it was not ectopic. It was the holiday season and my primary doctor was not available. Dr. Tarnawa was very patient and kind. He explained everything before it happened and was proactive with the next steps that needed to happen. After me and my husband's last failed IUI we had a consultant with Dr. Tarnawa and he talked with us about the IVF process. Dr. Tarnawa took his time to explain the process and even drew a picture to help us visually see, since I am a visual person. Going into the consultation I was nervous and was thinking of the worst, but Dr. Tarnawa made me and my husband feel comfortable and we did not feel like a number. When we left the consultation we felt hopeful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
That I would highly recommend him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The doctor prior was normally at a different location although he was very good but now I get a chance to speak with my doctor face to face without having to communicate with a nurse most of the time.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My primary doctor Dr. Nichols who was great developed my treatment strategies. Most communication and plans were discussed with his nurse.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was very flexible and they made special adjustments for me due to my work schedule. I was always greeted by the front desk staff and they would automatically check me in. One weakness was that the clinic did lose a staff member that handled insurance/billing and she was really good.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Most of my treatment was with Dr. Nichols. Cannot recall.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Edward Tarnawa
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Dr T [Tarnawa] is AMAZING. I suffered a previous miscarriage, and am a very “needy” and anxious patient. He takes time to explain everything in detail, and takes time to answer any questions and concerns you may have. He doesn’t sugar coat things and is very straight forward which I like, but has a very warm bedside manor.... At PREG, I only see Dr T as he is always in Columbia.
Love this clinic! Organized, professional, clean, efficient. At PREG you are ALWAYS treated like a person and NEVER like a number. Everyone from the sweet lab tech, Ms Jenny, (I hate having blood drawn and she comforts me) to the nursing staff to the doctors are nothing short of amazing. If you live in the midlands area, I would 10/10 recommend PREG. Trust me-I’ve been to other clinics and this far surpasses that!
Dr T is AMAZING. I suffered a previous miscarriage, and am a very “needy” and anxious patient. He takes time to explain everything in detail, and takes time to answer any questions and concerns you may have. He doesn’t sugar coat things and is very straight forward which I like, but has a very warm bedside manor. He is very very intelligent and I completely trust his opinion in my treatment. I am currently pregnant from my first round of IVF. He is monitoring me very closely, and I feel as though I have the best doctor in Columbia. I went to another clinic in lexington that also had a location in Charleston. You have to rotate doctors there, or travel to see the same one. At PREG, I only see Dr T as he is always in Columbia.
Trust him!!! He knows what he is talking about!
Dr T takes time to understand the needs of his patient. He came to me highly recommended by a good friend, as she felt the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vining)
Ashley is an angel. Seriously if I could give her the world I would! She takes so much time to personally make sure I am comfortable and communicated with. I have high anxiety and she has helped me tremendously with that through this IVF process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I opted to do IVF with genetic testing. I am not sure of the cost, but the genetic testing was worth the extra money to me due to my previous miscarriage.
Single embryo transfer.
Edward Tarnawa

2017 - 2019
[Protocols with Dr. John Nichols] I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes... I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process...Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further.
Some of them [nurses at PREG] were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
European, Latino
Dr. Nichols (when he was around) explained things very clearly and plainly throughout the TIC, IUI, and IVF process. Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further. Or perhaps because I don’t have money he knew I couldn’t pay for more experimentation. He was wishy-washy about recommending a second try which is why I haven’t pursued anything else yet. I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He speaks plainly.
For example, the day of egg retrieval it seemed as though they were herding a large number of women through the process like animals. There were probably 4-5 women in the same room at any time and they were herded in and out of the operating area. It felt very rushed and impersonal. I would have liked to have had more time to talk with the various people around about what was happening.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes which resulted in “everything looks fine and now you owe 4K that your insurance doesn’t cover too bad we couldn’t tell you that ahead of time”.
Some of them were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They seem to run their schedule well. Most appointments were on time and lasted as expected. Weaknesses may be that a lot of the staff seemed annoyed or exhausted to be there which was challenging to deal with when I’m already facing depression about my infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Drugs for TIC were fairly inexpensive due to insurance. IUI procedures were about 500 each, out of pocket. IVF including drugs was about 27,000 out of pocket. Got some refunded due to failure. Laparoscopic procedure was over 30,000 with most covered by insurance but about 4000 out of pocket.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My doctor did not believe it was safe to transfer more than one embryo at a time and I believe he will not perform those procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Make sure he's paying attention to your history...I don’t feel Dr Payne has been prepared when speaking with my wife and I. The meetings seem rushed and he doesn’t always seem to know our history (like he didn’t read the chart before talking to us). We mostly work with his nurse, but when we talk to Dr Payne it feels like we can be just a number...His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Kristina, Megan and Jackie [nurses at PREG] are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them...Too long to change meds when My wife had a drug intolerance... $500 IUI...$190 for intrauterine scan...$105 progesterone bloodwork...$600 HSG...The clinic itself is good. Front desk staff has been fine. Sometimes they don’t answer the phones until thirty min after they’ve opened. That’s the only drawback I’ve noticed. And you have to pay attention to what office picks up the phone because if the one you originally called doesn’t answer, then you can be routed to another.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
The meetings with Dr Payne were lack luster. This is such an important time in our lives and he always seemed like he was rushing us. His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Make sure he’s paying attention to your history.
Femara, gonal f, prednisone, ultrasounds, hsg, baseline scans, progesterone bloodwork, semen analysis
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina )
Kristina, Megan and Jackie are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have no insurance coverage for infertility. $500 IUI $190 for intrauterine scan $105 progesterone bloodwork $600 HSG
+ Read more- Read less

hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations...I didn't feel warm or welcome from the start. Neither did my husband. We should have stopped there, but we continued on because we didn't think there was anyone else in the area to choose from (we used his office in Asheville, NC). Dr. Nichols did not ever follow up with us or make us feel valued. Again, we should have stopped before we started with him and his practice...
There were LOTS of problems with Dr. Nichols and his practice (PREG). We had issues with the following: billing (unclear and they even had a hard time explaining to us- - they seemed as confused as we were), insurance claims (would not communicate with our insurance company in a rapid manner - - took MONTHS to resolve an issues from nearly 6 months ago), nurses would sometimes call, but often NOT cal to inform us of what we needed to do when, hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations, I have an allergy to latex and nearly 80% of the time I would have to remind the staff of this before they went to do a check-up, procedure, etc. Overall, we (my husband and I ) felt the staff was only worried about the $ and not about the humans involved. I would NEVER recommend this practice to ANYONE! We were VERY dissatisfied and when letting them know this, they didn't seem to care - - no apologies or anything. Just "hate to hear that". FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE - - DO NOT USE PREG IN GREENVILLE, ASHEVILLE, SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ETC.!!!
Go somewhere else - - anywhere else. Do not use John Nichols!
Because my husband I were both "normal" in ALL aspects, we started first with using Letrozole and then the timed Trigger shot. We did this three times with negative results. During this time, they found a polyp and removed that from my uterus. Then, we moved into IUI's, which we tried twice. I was having REALLY negative side effects from the drugs, and we weren't happy with PREG so we quit treatment until we could find another practice.
There was one nurse that was AWESOME, but I don't remember her name. She was the ONLY one that would call me back, seemed to GENUINELY care, and ALWAYS remembered my allergy to latex. The rest were VERY unimpressive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall, it just wasn't the clinic for us. Again, I think if we had to do it all over again, we should have stopped before we began with them and gone somewhere else. Even when we quit treatment, we had to battle with them for MONTHS afterward due to billing issues.

2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Never did he [Dr. McCoy] pressure us into doing anything that we were against...he listened to my concerns and always knew me and my husband by name. He always had a bright smile on his face when we saw him... My first appointment with him I explained some of the symptoms I was having, to ensure it was not another medical issue he performed an ultrasound, this was confirmation it was not what we previously thought. This was a small step in the right direction, this also showed me that he listened to me and truly cared about me as an individual and not just another person.
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process...staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process...not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to...Emilie [nurse] is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive.
2016 - 2019
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process. I never thought I would experience infertility given that I previously had children with no medical issues or complications. Dr. McCoy and his staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process. My first appointment with him I explained some of the symptoms I was having, to ensure it was not another medical issue he performed an ultrasound, this was confirmation it was not what we previously thought. This was a small step in the right direction, this also showed me that he listened to me and truly cared about me as an individual and not just another person. Dr. McCoy explained every procedure in detail and ensured that I understood what direction we were going in all of this, this gave me the confidence to trust in his abilities. Dr. McCoy never made me feel like the possibility of getting pregnant and carrying a child was out of the window. Even when we experienced three failed IUIs and two failed FETs, he reassured me that my journey wasn't over. This is just a storm on the way to my rainbow. I really felt like he cared about my pain, anxiety, frustration, and heartbreak. I also would like to mention his staff, not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to. I would highly recommend Dr. McCoy and his staff to anyone who asked.
Be open and honest with how you are feeling, what you expect and be open to change.
Please he listened to my concerns and always knew me and my husband by name. He always had a bright smile on his face when we saw him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie, was a very caring and understanding to say the least. Emilie is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive. Her communication skills were solid, her compassion was over the top and her empathy was indescribable. There was never a time that I had a question Emilie wouldn't hesitate to give me the answer or ask my doctor and get back with me.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG Columbia atmosphere is very inviting and comfortable. We were able to get appointments and/or procedures scheduled with no hassle. I was always able to be open and honest with the staff about my feelings on any occasion I had an appointment. The rooms were always ready and clean when I arrived. My only weaknesses would be Dr McCoy wasn't always at this location.
Dr McCoy agreed to allowing us to do multiples because of my age. Never did he pressure us into doing anything that we were against.

Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I only had one issue [at PREG] and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.... The costs are high and continues to increase. You do receive discounts which helps out a lot....The doctor gave me the option on how many embryo's to transfer within reason of course.
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
My experience with Dr Payne was awesome. He was great. He never gave up on me wanting to have a baby. When the IVF's failed he was there with a positive attitude and great advice. It was an emotional time for me but listening to him and understanding that he was going help me have a baby. He would apologize when the IVF's failed but he said we will not give up. He would tell me what he thought happened but will always say that is in his opinion. That was great to hear because as a woman you think you failed somehow. He was so great he makes you want to have dozen of children.
He will be there until the end. Have hope because he does.
I felt like human because the office cared about helping me have a baby. Some doctors do not understand what their patients go through but Dr Payne did even though he is male. He was very passionate about helping me have a baby. He would listen and give good medical advice. His staff was great. They was always available when I needed them. They keep the lines of communication open. You kind of feel like family with them.
I used a lot of medicine. Medicine by mouth, injections, patches and vaginal inserts. I will use medicine daily until I got pregnant. Once I got a positive pregnant test I would use the medicine until I was 12 weeks because I was considered high risk.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff, RN)
Stephanie B., is one word AWESOME. She was the best. She is a very special person.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic will receive 95% from me. I only had one issue and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.

2017 - 2019
We are getting ready to start our first round of ivf with icsi. We have male factor infertility results from cancer treatment. ... We first met dr. Payne over a year ago and absolutely felt like ‘just a number’ in his practice. He seemed overly sure of himself and that he wasn’t interested in our particular situation. ... we decided to give it another shot and have had an entirely different experience with him. He seems more caring and has slowed down to explain everything I have a question about. Overall his demeanor and knowledge makes us feel confident that we are making the right decision in working with him.
On our first visit [at PREG] we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. ... The nurse that performed my ultrasound was very kind and made me feel entirely comfortable. She described everything she would be doing and really put me at ease.
2017 - 2019
We first met dr. Payne over a year ago and absolutely felt like ‘just a number’ in his practice. He seemed overly sure of himself and that he wasn’t interested in our particular situation. PREG being the only close by clinic we decided to give it another shot and have had an entirely different experience with him. He seems more caring and has slowed down to explain everything I have a question about. Overall his demeanor and knowledge makes us feel confident that we are making the right decision in working with him.
Don’t expect him to be warm and cuddly, but he seems to know what he is talking about.
Dr. Payne is kind and takes time to answer questions about the ivf process. Unfortunately I have had problems receiving calls back from his office when I have questions about finances or the procedure.
We are getting ready to start our first round of ivf with icsi. We have male factor infertility results from cancer treatment. So far I have undergone testing to determine eligibility for Univfy, and been started on birth control to prepare for stims.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
On our first visit we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. There has also been a lot of problems getting a person on the phone when I call, or getting a call back. We have had a good experience with the financial team, but again have had challenges with call backs after leaving messages.
18,500 for one round of ivf including unlimited embryo transfers from that round and their fee for embryo biopsy.
Our doctor has told us we will start with single embryo transfer.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. McCoy] Listened with the intent to understand what I’ve been through. Also, to gather factors in my life that may be causing the unexplained infertility. ... Also was candid about my age and the risks of using my own eggs. He didn’t say no to any of the options, but i appreciates how he highlighted the risks. We all love to hear the good, but knowing the risks allow us to make more rational decisions especially dealing with fertility.
Very welcoming clinic [PREG] . It is spread out and a lot of privacy. Also, they call you back quickly. ... They had a coupon for the consultation. ... They even follow up via text which is important for working and busy expecting parents. Sometime when you call they are busy, but I really like the fact that even though I’m calling the Asheville office someone no matter if it is the Greenville office will answer.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He explained what all my options were. Also was candid about my age and the risks of using my own eggs. He didn’t say no to any of the options, but i appreciates how he highlighted the risks. We all love to hear the good, but knowing the risks allow us to make more rational decisions especially dealing with fertility.
Be open to all of his advice. Ask all your questions up front don’t be afraid, he will be honest with you. I took a break to get my mind right and alleviate stress as much as possible.
He Listened with the intent to understand what I’ve been through. Also, to gather factors in my life that may be causing the unexplained infertility.
I had a consult- took a break and I’m back on track now with my first appointment in the coming days. My mind is ready and happy.
Keep in touch with me while I was taking my break. When I prayed and asked God when was the right time, I received an email for the staff asking me was there anything they could do to help me. I immediately told them, I was just about to reach out to you to restart my process. I know it’s my time to try again with my husband.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very welcoming clinic. It is spread out and a lot of privacy. Also, they call you back quickly. They even follow up via text which is important for working and busy expecting parents. Sometime when you call they are busy, but I really like the fact that even though I’m calling the Asheville office someone no matter if it is the Greenville office will answer.
They had a coupon for the consultation. Checking their website is awesome. Sometimes they offer discounts. That was helpful considering we jus moved from overseas and were caring for my parents. Some of it will be covered by my insurance, which helps a lot. He is in network.

2017 - 2019
I feel like when he told my wife and I he wasn’t blunt or cold, he did the best he could to make sure we understood everything that was going on with us and what options we had. We’re thankful for having him as our doctor and would absolutely recommend him to anyone. ... Docotr McCoy tries to explain everything while taking into account your specific problems instead of giving a prepared speech, that makes it easier to understand, it also inspires trust.
I don’t know if this is a coincidence, but a couple of times that I uave called the office [PREG] nobody picks up the phone. It takes a few tries. ... My wofe had some bloodwork done last week. We were told that we would receive a call within 5 days and that hasn’t happened. We were advised to give the office a call if we didn’t hear from them so it sounds like it might be something that happens regularly. But it doesn’t look professional. It might he something the office staff needs to work on.
2017 - 2019
I think Dr.McCoy does the best he can considering he gives devastating news to his patients. There is no easy way to tell someone that they have problems conceiving or that they can’t conceive at all. There is no way to sugar coat something like that. I feel like when he told my wife and I he wasn’t blunt or cold, he did the best he could to make sure we understood everything that was going on with us and what options we had. We’re thankful for having him as our doctor and would absolutely recommend him to anyone.
Fertility issues are more common than most people think. It’s just not talked about enough. Go see Dr.McCoy with an open mind and trust his work. He’s there to help.
We are doing IVF. He explained how my wife will have to first be on birth control for a few weeks to control her menstrual cycle so the doctors know when to retrieve the eggs but not before going a few weeks of getting hormone shots. One of the stategies he explained was that the embrios would be frozen for a month before doing the transfer to give my wife’s body time to get clean it’s self and get rid of some of those extra hormones and in exchange that would increase the chances of success, we were very pleased to hear that. Once the transfer is done he explained that it would take around 11 days to be able to tell if she is pregnant or not. He explained the whole process in detail, alot better than I can right now.
I don’t know if this is a coincidence, but a couple of times that I uave called the office nobody picks up the phone. It takes a few tries.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This is our first time being cared for by a fertility clinic so we weren’t sure what to expuand we’re just starting IVF so I could probably give more input once we’re done. But until now we have no complaints. We’ve been pleased with your services and we’re happily putting all our money and trust on your facility.
We haven’t paid yet
My wife and I at first thought we would ne doing a multitude embryo transfer. Dr.McCoy explained that he would rather do a single embryo transfer because there is a probability of conceiving twins and because my wife has never been pregnant before it would be safer to reduce the risk of having twins because we don’t not know how her body will react to the pregnancy. He explained that having twins could have a risk of complications during the pregnancy. Considering that, it made sense for us to agree with his logic even though we wouldn’t of mind having twins.

PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out.... She [nurse] is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is a very forward doctor. I respect that about him because I would rather know up front what is the issue and solution to the problem at hand. The first consultation I had with him he was very nice and reassuring about everything I would’ve gone through and will go through. He was very open about the possibilities of every side effect, or possible pregnancy complications that could happen. Not that they would but it was better for him to explain it than to never explain it at all. I told him that I wanted to go full blast with meds and we did just that. At that time my father was dying of Lung Cancer and I was desperate to have a child so that he could get to meet him. Unfortunately, during my time trying to conceive my father passed away. It took such a major toll on me. I was actually planning to do IVF that next cycle but pushed it back. Later my sister in law passed away from Stomach Cancer and I have just been devastated. So much going on and with everyone in my ear telling me something good is going to come out of it, then have the one thing I want more than anything continually not happen is the worst feeling. I have cried with Dr. Payne and his nurses just because I felt that close with them. He is a listener, care giving doctor , and understanding doctor. When other people have told me to get another doctor, I tell them no! My doctor knows what he’s doing!! He has kept by my side throughout this journey and is more than excited to get me pregnant! To have him not give up on me makes me not give up on myself and that’s what truly matters the most. That is what makes him my favorite doctor. To know that I have a reliable doctor that I can depend on is the greatest feeling. After all, he will be part of the reason I one day, hopefully soon, have my miracle of joy.
Trust him, he knows what he’s doing.
Dr. Payne and his staff are considerably down to earth. He and his team do a wonderful job at connecting with me. Even though I know they see a lot of patients, I am made to feel like the only patient in their eyes. I feel like he cares along with his staff. I’m this moment in life times can feel a bit lonely but the staff and Dr. Payne reassure me that I’m not on this journey alone.
Dr. Payne suggestions were Femora with progesterone and if that didn’t work “naturally”, we would do that with IUI. If that didn’t work, IVF. He allowed me to try that to help out in financial cost but to see if it could jut happen! Doing the biggest procedure was a last result. I didn’t get pregnant with anything but I am hoping to achieve pregnancy with the help of this loan via IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
She is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out. Wonderful!!
I appreciate the fact that he wants to consistently protect his patients and keep their best interest in mind. I accept the fact that he prefers eSET.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. McCoy talked to us, in the beginning, about how everything works and he didn't sugar coat anything. He gave us the information about how successful this process is and at the same time seemed exited for the outcome it could bring. He was very respectful and was always there to answer questions.... Dr. McCoy recommended single embry transfer, but gave us the option to do multiple (two) embryo transfer.... The first one was a fresh embryo transfer and the other 3 were frozen embryo transfers.
The clinic [PREG] was always there to help and answer questions. They always returned my calls if I had to leave a message. If one person was not there, another would pick up my messages and always call back over a concern. My prescriptions were always called in on time. I'm a worrier and they would always calm my fears....Debra was a very kind and compassionate nurse. She was comforting during the hard times (miscarriage, negative pregancy test). She wanted for us to keep her updated on the current pregnancy. She really cares.
It can be a long journey, but it's well worth it. Don't give up hope and trust the doctors at PREG. They care and know what they are doing.
It has been a long journey for us trying to have a child. Dr. McCoy and his team were there for us every step of the way. We have been through 4 cycles trying to get pregnant and then have a successful pregnancy. It has been a long road, but we would recommend Dr. McCoy and his team to anyone. The team were just as excited as we were each time a pregnancy occurred and wanted to check up on us with currently being pregnant. They have all treated us with great respect and they have felt the pain of this journey as well as the excitement.
I had to take a course of injections and oral medications to get ready for egg retrieval. We did the egg retrieval along with creating the embryos. We did 4 cycles total. The first one was a fresh embryo transfer and the other 3 were frozen embryo transfers. We tried one single transfer the first two times and then the other two times were two embryos. They did testing to check for different things after the first miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Debra)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was always there to help and answer questions. They always returned my calls if I had to leave a message. If one person was not there, another would pick up my messages and always call back over a concern. My prescriptions were always called in on time. I'm a worrier and they would always calm my fears.
For the initial IVF procedure it was between 12,000 and 15,000. The frozen embryo transfers it was between 3,500 and 4,000.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I have felt that she [Dr. Gail Whitman-Elia] cared about my emotional and physical health. She was realistic and upfront about our situation. After years of loss and suffering it makes a difference when a physician allows you to cry and share your hopes and dreams. When you feel that you dreams are shattering you need a physician that allows you to have hope or deal with reality.
The clinic staff [at PREG] is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.... The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging... The plan was to ensure I was healthy and ready for the process. I had surgery to remove endometriosis and fibroids to make my uterus and ready as possible. I then will begin try a round of IUI, my choice. However, Dr. Whitman has recommended IVF or surrogacy due to my many recurrent losses, but that cost is beyond my family’s ability.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Thus far I have felt like a valued patient. I have felt that she cared about my emotional and physical health. She was realistic and upfront about our situation. After years of loss and suffering it makes a difference when a physician allows you to cry and share your hopes and dreams. When you feel that you dreams are shattering you need a physician that allows you to have hope or deal with reality.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman is honest and upfront. If you expect for a doctor to tell you what you want to hear versus the truth, she is not the one for you. If you want a real perspective, guidance and support the Dr. Whitman is it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Whitman recognized our pain and allowed me to drain my emotions. She did not rush through our sessions and she never made me feel like my questions were stupid. She recognized that for the last 8 years I have been suffering emotionally and physically and needed a physician to really listen to me. She made me feel as if what I had to say was important . The previous physicians did not listen to me and made me feel as if I did not know my body.
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
The nursing staff has always been friendly and engaging.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. The clinic itself is always clean, peaceful and quiet. The wait time is usually realistic and they provide updates as needed. The office is cold so bring a sweater.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Thus far care cost has been reasonable.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Dr. McCoy was very responsive to my questions and needs. He was understanding of the restrictions of my job and worked with me to make my appointments and cycles work (ie phone visits when I could not make office visits). He is very honest about the difficulties we face and is willing to discuss the details of treatments so that I and my husband fully understand...Be sure and ask questions about how your treatment plan s tailored to you. Dr. McCoy is great at explaining this!
Welcoming and kind staff [at Peidmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
He is understanding, compassionate and honest about the difficulties we face with conceiving. He is easy to get a hold of when needed and responsive to all questions/concerns. He is understanding of the restrictions of my job and works with me to make my cycles possible while continuing to work.
IVF cycle: I have low ovarian reserve so my injection dosages where adjusted to try and stimulate as many follicles as possible. My husband unfortunately does not produce sperm so when he underwent testicular exploration to look for sperm, Dr. McCoy advised us to have a backup donor for my IVF cycle. I was closely monitored throughout the cycle with ultrasounds and my retrieval date was moved forward based on my progress. Unfortunately, our single fertilized egg arrested so I could not undergo embryo transfer. IUI: I was placed on high dose and prolonged course of letrozole in conjunction with Gonal F injection x3. Once again this was for my low ovarian reserve and trying to stimulate follicles. My first IUI was unsuccessful and I just completed my second insemination.
Very accessible and responsive to questions. Extremely understanding and supportive of me and my husband. I usually see the same nurses at each visit which is great for putting me at ease.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Welcoming and kind staff. They are very responsive to questions and promptly return any calls. The clinic itself is very calming and quiet. I have had visits at both the Columbia ad Greenville clinic and think both are great! My advice to a new patient would be to be on time to appointments as they are very prompt. Oftentimes, you are called back for lab draws, nurses visits, etc within 5-10 minutes of arrival. This is great for scheduling your day and keeping your life on time.
My insurance covers much of my fertility treatment costs. Office visit copays are usually less than $50. My IVF cycle was ~$4K upfront and IVF medications were ~$6K. I pay nearly nothing for the IUI cycles.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds [that Dr. John Nichols]. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Dr McCoy was extremely knowledgeable about endometriosis and my chances of conception. He was very kind and not at all condescending while explaining what was happening to me hormonally. He reassured me with a plan of action that he wrote down for me to follow, including hormonal medications and drawings of what my uterus was going through vs where we want it to be. He gently informed me I’ll eventually need more surgery and explained that he doesn’t take my insurance but that it might pay to just buy a plan for 1 month to make it at least somewhat affordable, since no other surgeon in this area is quite as specialized as him when it comes to good endometriosis removal results. I walked out of the room feeling well informed, cared for, and in control.
The office [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.... hey are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all.
European, Middle Eastern, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Bring a notebook!
Dr McCoy was extremely thorough & answered all my questions in an informative, concise, yet gentle manner. He was very sensitive as is the subject at hand, which I felt was very appropriate. It was nice to be treated in a considerate kind way while also having all my concerns addressed.
He said I don’t need to come back until the moment we are ready to start trying
They are generally wonderful. But I did have an issue with one of the nurses not looking at my chart thoroughly before speaking with me, and made many assumptions about my situation which turned out to not be the case. She told me that my AMH levels were very low, so we “shouldn’t wait a year” to start trying. She said the doctor would explain it more once I came in for an ultrasound on the second day of my period. So I called back on the first day of my period to schedule something, and after speaking with the doctor, another nurse informed me that my endometriosis surgery scarring and the endometriosis itself was most likely the culprit for my AMH results, and that I didn’t need an ultrasound at all. The woman had just assumed I was already trying when we haven’t even gotten started yet. I was planning on finishing my last year of graduate school for social work, since I’m physically limited due to multiple extensive spinal fusions and chronic pain, i won’t have the energy time or capacity to finish it once a child arrives. But based on what the first nurse told me, I decided to pull out of the program until we sort out what’s going on. So it turns out I delayed for no reason, which is extremely frustrating.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office is very organized and the staff is very kind. The waiting area is lovely and clean, and the wait isn’t long at all. The paperwork isn’t bad either. They also have plenty of magazines, so it’s sort of kid-friendly as well.
He said I can’t afford his endometriosis surgery with my insurance that he doesn’t take, and suggested I buy some if I want to see him for the surgery. He has the best results in the area and I don’t want to have to travel out of state.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.... Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts.
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain...Don't expect any beating around the bush...We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle
I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The physicians and clinical staff [Piedmont Repro] are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He is just a thoughtful and thorough care giver. He is a very highly trained and informed expert in his field, and he covers all of the basis when helping me think out the options I have for my course of treatment and long term goals. He is so friendly and certainly considerate of the sensitivity of my current disease process if stage four endometriosis and of my immense desire to bring another beautiful baby into God’s world. I am so very thankful for his help.
To stay on top of the financial and insurance department that is in charge of preauthorizations in his office, if that is the financial situation that the prospective patient is coming from. Time sensitivity could definitely be improved with those administrative staff members.
Dr. Payne has spent an extent of time speaking with me about every single one of my questions and going over the full spectrum of details on the plans ahead for the big picture goals of preserving my eggs to avoid having them further compromised by my stage four endometriosis as well as by the treatments I need for that disease. He has taken all of my specific needs and desires in to account with each recommendation and decision making for this process. He is very friendly and he does not rush me at all throughout these inquisitive conversations I hold with him. I am so very thankful that I and my future children are in his hands!
We are still in the early stages of progress. We began with the base line scans for ultrasound folical count and lab drawings. Now we have moved on the recallibrating the ovulation scheduled via birth control method. Based on the number of follicles seen, the goal is to complete two cycles if financially possible so that I have enough to possibly freeze a combination of some eggs as well as some embryos, to get be enough chances of some of both remaining viable throughout the process. Once that is completed, we plan to treat me for endometriosis until my body is ready for a healthy pregnancy. I am so eager to experience an intimate pregnancy, carrying my child in me, and the joy of nursing and nurturing my little infant. God knows my heart and desires for this, and all of Dr. Payne’s methods and plans have been circled around this.
They are so sweet, friendly, understanding, and informative!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are so great at what they do and turkey compassionate. The physicians and clinical staff are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process. Time sensitivity, as far as completing the process in June and July rather than waiting until September, for example would greatly help their patient experience overall for those who don’t walk in as a wealthy married couple prepared to pay everything on the spot. I am a single mom doing the best I can through my treatment needs for endometriosis and I am exhausting my efforts to have my eggs preserved so that I will have another baby when my body is ready. It’s a shame that something’s would have to be postponed to administrative details rather than justified clinical details. I would recommend new patients to stay on top of the info and process instead of ever letting it go the first 2 months assuming they’re getting the ball rolling on their end only to find out they’re not.
I am still in the process of receiving accurate price quote information after 3 months
Those will be items we get to towards the last stages of the process and I look forward to learning more details about the methods when we are crossing the bridge. I haven’t sought that info yet as we are still starting all of this.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Gail is very knowledgeable in her field ... She and her team [PREG] listened to my questions and concerns - very kind and good bedside manner ... She was aggressive with treatment but not so much as to put my health in jeopardy. Very kind, but frank and good bedside manner. ... We tried timed intercourse which is least invasive, with medication as well as Iui cycles medicated.
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. ... They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Gail is very knowledgeable in her field... as a breast cancer survivor it was important that she had success file experience with such patients. She was aggressive with treatment but not so much as to put my health in jeopardy. Very kind, but frank and good bedside manner.
Trust her experience... even if you do not get the outcome you want right away- she is committed to your success but it can take a few cycles.
She and her team listened to my questions and concerns - very kind and good bedside manner
We tried timed intercourse which is least invasive, with medication as well as Iui cycles medicated. We were financially and mentally ready for IVF so we made the decision to go that direction with her help.
Emilie was so responsive with any concern or question— if she was not available she had another nurse call right away. She was so good to me. I could not have made it without her!! Also the lab ladies are some of the best around. They have made each lab a joy and I look forward to seeing them. They are always so encouraging!!!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: appointments were usually running on time and they always had a friendly receptionist. Whether in the lobby or on the phone they were always so courteous. They always remembered my name when I walked in the door... which is why I didn’t feel like a number. Preg Columbia also has a great appointment reminder system. Text and emails made sure I didn’t forget! They have such a friendly staff - all around wonderful. They put me at ease during each ultrasound and procedure. And made me feel at peace. Many of the staff had been through fertility treatments and could really empathize with me. It was truly comforting to know I wasn’t alone. Weaknesses: none really— I have no complaints.
The package for Ivf was $15,000 meds around $4000 , iui and semen analysis and storage perhaps $1500
Describe Gail Whitman-Elia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I understand why they do wear however we only had one fertilized embryo on day 5 so it would not have mattered
+ Read more- Read less

We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results.... Looking at all our factors, age, endometriosis, two ovaries, etc. Dr. McCoy looked at all options outside of IVF to give us a chance and was very helpful at giving us percentages. Based on our previous experiences, he made helpful recommendations and the pros and cons of whether to move forward with IVF or not. I appreciate his open mind.
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.... I would recommend that you make sure you have already thought through your questions and have an idea of what you're wanting. It's good to have an open mind, but have a conversation about how far you're willing to go (IVF, egg donor, etc.) and have some questions written down so that you have a direction to take when meeting with the doctor.
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results. However we're just about to begin IVF so not sure what the future holds for us!
Ask questions! Leave with a plan in place.
He took the time to document all the factors to our situation, things we can do to help those factors and how reasonable it was to do them. He answered all of my prying questions :)
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We've just begun the process. It does seem like the charges are high for some appointments, but obviously they factor in that insurance will reduce it.

Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. WHITMAN IS A VERY CARING , AND UNDERSTANDING DOCTOR THAT WILL TREAT YOU THE WAY WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.... She is a very good , and caring doctor. She informed my husband and I on every step of the way.She explained everything to us in a gentle way. I will continue to go to her as long as we can. I highly recommend her to everyone!!
Weakness [for the Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group]I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.... My Protocol was Gonal F 225 units injection for 9 days , low dose hcg SQ injections 15 unirs a day for 9 days. I started off using microdose Lupton am/pm at 20 units twice daily for 12 days. My hubby and I took keflex 500mg twice a day for 19 days. Took baby aspirin 81mg once daily. Had 2 baseline ultrasound s, and 2 blood tests. Took Medrol 16mg once a day the day after egg retrivel till few days adter transfer. I took a 5mg valium and Feldene 10mg an hour before transfer. The valium did not help , I was still tense and felt everything. I started the progesterone 50mg once a day injection the day after egg retrivel surgery till my 14 day blood test that was negitive.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. GAIL IS very caring and understanding with my needs.
They all were caring and helped us .
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness I would say the communication between the staff is low, had to keep reminding them on things. The office staff seem to be lost sometimes with the communication with nurses ,and docs. Strength I would say they compassion they have with the patients.
We did the Simply IVF the payment to doctor office was $5500.00. We paid for a sonagraham before we started our cycle it cost us $500.00. Each time we meet the doctor it cost us $90.00 dollars each time.
+ Read more- Read less

Throughout the initial consultation, Dr. Payne barely made eye contact. He blamed that on having to type information into the computer. He spoke so fast that we could barely keep up with what he was saying. A couple of weeks later I received a bill for our initial consult visit and it was around $350 and that did not include the $250 we paid in the office that day for a semen analyis and blood work.... We only have completely one cycle of femara, ovidrel, TI. This was per John Paynes recommendation after the loss of our pregnancy in the fall. I only received information through a nurse or through the receptionist and very often if I had questions, I was sent to a voicemail.
Whenever we called with questions we were sent to a voicemail [at PREG-Greenville]. Every time. Most the time it would take a day to receive a phone call. There was a specific appointment that I was needing to cancel because we were heading out of town, when I asked the nurse what we should do, she made a statement about canceling the ultrasound and how that was not an option, even if I came in two days before. It made no sense to me when I asked further and she had very little to no answers for questions.
It was a horrible experience to say the least. We became pregnant naturally on a cycle not being treated, ended up having to terminate due to trisomy diagnosis and when we came back to the clinic there was not one mention or question about it. Back to "the plan" of fertility meds and appointment dates. I could not have felt more " investable" if I tried.
Get a second opinion or find a Doctor that truly can hear your story and help you down the right path.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - They are one of maybe 2-3 fertility clinics in the area so they have access to so many patients and have the opportunity to make a difference in these peoples lives. Weaknesses - They run the clinic like a business and the human factor has been lost. I didn't even feel like a patient. Truly disappointing. Do not go to PREG!
I still look through our bill records from PREG and some I cannot answer what we paid for. Thats a horrible feeling.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr.] John [Payne] was very knowledgeable and aggressive with my treatment, which was well needed. He was honest but kind, and produced the results that we were seeking! He made sure that he was involved in every step and no decisions were made without his approval. ... I have very polycystic ovaries, and it’s hard to induce ovulation. We started with inducing my period with provera as it was non-existent, and middle of the road doses of 7.5mg femara to see how I would respond. He took a gradual approach and increased the doses, but no results. We progressed to ovidrel injections and trigger shot each month. The results were still mediocre, and he came up with adding a small dose of anti-inflammatory steroid which was the magic trick, and I responded very well! I had thin lining so he added baby aspirin to maintain it.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was great, they always had availability for my iui procedures but some days there was quite a wait to be seen. This was only on busier days. I feel like they did quite well with scheduling considering the amount of patients using the location where I was. ... The nurses were great and supportive ...
John was very knowledgeable and aggressive with my treatment, which was well needed. He was honest but kind, and produced the results that we were seeking! He made sure that he was involved in every step and no decisions were made without his approval.
Trust his advice, and be patient! You may not see him often, but know that he’s still very involved in the process of helping you reach your goal!
He was very involved in my treatment and honest, trying different combos of medication. I felt that he was really working for me.
The nurses were great and supportive
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was great, they always had availability for my iui procedures but some days there was quite a wait to be seen. This was only on busier days. I feel like they did quite well with scheduling considering the amount of patients using the location where I was.
I had great insurance so I had to meet a 3k deductible and everything was covered 90% after that. We paid about $650 per month for donor sperm
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Whitman is very knowledgeable. She can communicate complicated doctor talk with regular small town folk who are unable to be doctors. She makes the women feel comfortable which is very important when it comes to a procedure like this....She expressed her concern with the multiple embryo transfer with the amount of transfer she has that turn out to split and become twins. We want two children so we want to place two embryos and that is all she said with that concern.
It’s a nice small clinic [PREG] that is well maintained and clean. It’s a down home feeling that relaxes you when you enter the building. It seems suitable to perform the procedures and good enough to store embryos as well....Great staff. They communicate the doctors wishes well by phone and email....Dr. Whitman is very knowledgeable. She can communicate complicated doctor talk with regular small town folk who are unable to be doctors.
Dr. Whitman is very knowledgeable. She can communicate complicated doctor talk with regular small town folk who are unable to be doctors. She makes the women feel comfortable which is very important when it comes to a procedure like this. She seems very successful and we are looking forward to her performing this cycle to try and have my first child or children!
I would recommend going to her no matter how far the distance. They will know they got a good doctor the first time around and not the second or third.
From the very beginning, Dr. Whitman made me and my wife feel like she was there to assist us in having a child. The past doctors have done procedures when my wife’s hormonal levels were too high and it resulted in 10’s of thousands of dollars down the drain. Dr. Whitman makes us feel that we will be successful this next cycle of IVF.
We haven’t received the dosages and medicines yet. That is our next appointment on the 22nd of this month. But we were given a link to a protocol video summary that is not specific with dates but the process of how to read the schedule and take the medicines once we choose which ones.
Great staff. They communicate the doctors wishes well by phone and email.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It’s a nice small clinic that is well maintained and clean. It’s a down home feeling that relaxes you when you enter the building. It seems suitable to perform the procedures and good enough to store embryos as well.
The procedure itself is $3,000. The medicine we don’t know yet and to transfer the embryos is about $500.
She expressed her concern with the multiple embryo transfer with the amount of transfer she has that turn out to split and become twins. We want two children so we want to place two embryos and that is all she said with that concern. She still is willing to place two embryos during the transfer.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered...was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office.
The nurses and our coordinator [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Travis McCoy] was very knowledgeable in my medical concerns and gave his honest opinion of what treatment he thinks will work best. He wasn’t pushy with his recommendation and wasn’t irritated or annoyed with my notebook full of questions.... We then started with letrozole once it was determined I was t ovulating due to irregular periods. An HSG was preformed to ensure my fallopian gives weren’t blocked and it was confirmed they were open and my uterus appeared in good shape. I took letrozole for four cycles with timed intercourse. A trigger shot was administered on the third cycle. We took a break this month and will try again in December.
They [PREG-Greenville] are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He was very knowledgeable in my medical concerns and gave his honest opinion of what treatment he thinks will work best. He wasn’t pushy with his recommendation and wasn’t irritated or annoyed with my notebook full of questions.
To be open minded and positive. Infertility is a sensitive issue. Trust his judgement but also listen to your gut. You know your body better than anyone else.
I don’t feel rushed during our appointments and he is very thorough with his explanations
When we first met we had to test out my hug from my ectopic. We then started with letrozole once it was determined I was t ovulating due to irregular periods. An HSG was preformed to ensure my fallopian gives weren’t blocked and it was confirmed they were open and my uterus appeared in good shape. I took letrozole for four cycles with timed intercourse. A trigger shot was administered on the third cycle. We took a break this month and will try again in December. We have not fallen pregnant yet but we are extremely hopeful
They are very helpful and friendly. They greet me with a smile and always ask how they can assist me. They are a great support for the doctors
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are friendly and provide great customer service. They are sensitive to the issues and make you feel comfortable and like a person and not a number. The way their phone system is set up can be annoying. You have to leave a message for the nurses line anytime you need something. They listen to the voicemails and call you back in the order of which the call was received. Sometimes however it can take a few hours for them to get back with you which can be extremely frustrating
We are currently $2000 or so in and have more treatments since we are not yet pregnant

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr McCoy is a very intelligent man, but doesn't treat you like you're just some number to him. He is caring and compassionate. He takes time to listen to you and your concerns. You definitely do not feel rushed to get out of his office. He answers all questions and gives you hope to your situation. He's a very busy provider and his schedule proves that, but you don't get that sense of rush when you are in front of him. He is also a top notch surgeon who gave me hope when several other providers only had bad news. I had to go into surgery to fix one issue, but he made sure to check other things out in there to prevent having to go back in later.
MiKayla [a nurse at PREG- Asheville] is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.... Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful.
European, Other
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He is very busy, so be patient. He is worth the wait.
Whether I or my husband were seeing Dr McCoy that day, he acted as if we had just talked to him the day before. He was always friendly, positive, and knowledgeable. He is very smart, but easy to talk to. Very personable and listens.
Clomid and Letrozole to treat my anovulation. Then we discovered that my husband probably hadale infertility. That was analyized and he was give the same medications. We have been through 2 IUIs that were unsuccessful. Taking a break at this time due to finances.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: MiKayla)
MiKayla is so sweet. I typically communicate with her through emails. She never seems like I'm a bother. She is always helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I enjoy PREG. Unfortunately they don't take parents from self pay patients, so that's made us have to take a break with treatments, but that's the only negative I have to say about PREG. They are always nice and helpful on the phone. Wait times are super fast from the lobby. Office is always clean and quiet. I've been to Asheville, Spartanburg, and Greenville offices.
While I had insurance, I didn't have to pay anything other than copay. Once we lost insurance, we had to pay $475 up front for both IUI procedures.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. McCoy met with me individually, with my partner, explained and wrote things out. He spoke to us with care and concern, expressing his feelings about what could or could not happen. He was very direct and open, which is something I prefer. I appreciated knowing every little detail...He also used paper to draw things out to clarify even more, to be sure my partner and I understood everything in front of us.
Everyone smiles [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] , they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit...Megan [nurse] was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease...This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. McCoy was very detailed, showed his experience in his field, explained in detail about the process and what to expect, good or bad. He also used paper to draw things out to clarify even more, to be sure my partner and I understood everything in front of us.
Lay it all out for him. Tell him EXACTLY what you want.
I do not remember the exact protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan was AMAZING!! After meeting me for the first time, she instantly built a great rapport with me and made me feel so comfortable. I suffer with anxiety, so she made me feel so calm and at ease. Megan cared for me each time I had an appointment. She would even come out into the lobby to talk to me until I was called back, then go to meet me in back. We have a phenomenal relationship and I hope to get an opportunity to try again just to see Megan!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very clean, spacious, neat, plenty of parenting items to read, pictures of past patients & their babies; which is such a joy to see. I love the atmosphere there. Front desk staff are very nice and genuine, being sure to take care of you as soon as you walk in. The bathrooms are always clean, something we all want at a doctor's office. The rooms are always very neat, clean, and prepared for the patient. Last but not least, check out is a breeze. Everyone smiles, they know you by first name, and it's always a pleasure to visit.
The cost for the IUI was expensive for me, but I TRULY want to be a mother so I used my savings to pay for it out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it. Also, the donor sperm is much more expensive. I have 2 best friends that I have been previously sexually active with years ago, that agreed to be my sperm donor, but I'm not very clear on what happened with that. It would have been more cost efficient for me.
+ Read more- Read less
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
+ Read more- Read less
I only saw him [Dr. John Payne] one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time.... IUI one time, then they stated that hindsight is 20/20 that they probably wouldn’t have had us doing IUI if they would have noticed my husband sperm count going down. We felt like the treatment and money was slightly wasted because they said they shouldn’t have been doing the treatments.
They informed me that they would use a code that would allow my insurance to take care of it, we have paid a lot out of pocket, but we have got a bill for over 1000$ when we were told our insurance would cover. I called several times got 2 people, then several times left message and did not get any response.... So when my insurance was 70/30 I thought we would be able to afford that, but the price went up for those insured and that to me in price gouging which made it impossible for us to follow through with any recommmedation it IVF because we still needed 10,000 for everything, and it was not reasonable for us to do that when the insurance was supposed to cover 70% of cost.
I only saw a nurse tenentire the me, the first time I saw the doctor it was the last time we did treatment with IUI. No one told us the cost, thy put my husband on clomid and haven’t gotten back to us at all and it has been since June and it is now end of September. We haven’t heard anything and have recently felt like the doctors and the offices have forgotten about us. We have almost given up on the process because we don’t have any feedback or direction when we sought it out.
Expect to see the nurse before you see the doctor. Keep an open mind
I only saw him one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Nurse practitioner )
Decent
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great front desk, great rep for blood taken, comfortable, but felt recently that we have been forgotten. Strengths are friendly, knowledgable. Weakness are that the office overlooked important information regarding my husband then later shared with both of us that they probably wouldn’t have been doing IUI if they would have reviews the sperm counts each cycle more closely because he was decreasing. Without insurance it was 12,000 out of pocket, halfway through treatments we got insurance and the price changed. So when my insurance was 70/30 I thought we would be able to afford that, but the price went up for those insured and that to me in price gouging which made it impossible for us to follow through with any recommmedation it IVF because we still needed 10,000 for everything, and it was not reasonable for us to do that when the insurance was supposed to cover 70% of cost. It was deceiving slightly and I don’t want to think that because of how comfortable you guys have made me feel overall, up until that point. Then, after you placed my husband on clomid, ordered more test, you have not gotten back to us on what to do next. That was a little disturbing.
+ Read more- Read less
Before even doing any testing infertility testing [Dr. Nichols] said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive...creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results [at PREG]. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient... expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
Nichols creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
Be prepared, he’s not warm and fuzzy
Before even doing any testing infertility testing Nichols said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive.
Initially he starts you on the lowest dosages and then works his way up. After 3 cycles if the protocol doesn’t work, he changes the protocol for the next 3 in relations to IUIs. For IVF he had me on Menopur and Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk & Lynn Fowler)
The entire nursing staff was fantastic, couldn’t praise them more
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinics strengths would be the fantastic nursing staff. They are compassionate and really care about you, from your first experience until your last. I’ve had one really great doctor there and two not so great doctors in terms of bedside manner. As far as the doctors keeping you in the loop on your numbers (AMH, FSH, TSH, etc), they don’t tell you unless you ask. Front desk is nice, keep in mind they are very busy when you try to schedule appointments via phone, so have patience with them.
No insurance coverage, expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
He does it based on age, 30 and younger he only likes to transfer one and for 30 and above he will do 2.
+ Read more- Read less

There were a few check ups [at PREG] that only nurse was a part of. She thought she saw an egg but come to find out a few cycles down the road it was a cyst that would go away after my cycle and grew during fertility med...The clinic did a wonderful job working with my schedule, they would get me in to the first appointment or the last when needed and any doctor would see me if I needed a time that Dr. Payne was off or with another patient. I can't say I noticed any weaknesses
Dr. Payne isnt as aggressive as I would have liked for this situation. He kind of had a laid back let's let God do his thing attitude which is cool at times but we were in a race against my endometriosis. I feel like if he had been apart of my ultrasound when we were doing trigger shots and timed intercourse maybe he would have noticed the cyst instead of it taking so many rounds before realizing what we were doing was making things worse. Also once we decided to go ahead with IVF the last ultrasound before my scheduled retrieval another doctor was doing the scan and became a little annoyed that someone started me on IVF with a polyp in my uterus again. So we ended up having to remove that along with my eggs and then freeze when we were planning a fresh embryo transfer but frozen.
Maybe just to be more aggressive about what you want if you're looking to get things done quickly and don't have time to let things happen on their own.
There were a few check ups that only nurse was a part of. She thought she saw an egg but come to find out a few cycles down the road it was a cyst that would go away after my cycle and grew during fertility med
After the removal of a couple of polyps and endometriosis dr. Payne wanted to try a trigger shot and timed intercourse since my cycles were completely normal. We did a few months of that and it wasn't working, he realized I wasn't getting one good size egg and trigger I just had a cyst growing each month and going away my period. We decided that IVF would be the best option since my body wasn't responding well to this treatment and we were trying to get pregnant before my endometriosis returned. He put me on birth control for a month so that my body could heal from the cyst and try to make sure the endometriosis didn't come back in the mean time. Once my body was ready we dived right into the IVF cycle. I went in often for an ultrasound to keep an eye on my progress. Just before my retrieval polyps were discovered and the cyst returned so we had to retrieve the eggs, remove the polyps and lance the cyst. Since and embryo is less likely to latch to a uterus covered in scar tissue he decided it would be best to freeze the eggs and go back on birth control for two months then do a 5 day frozen embryo transfer. I had 10 eggs retrieved only 2 made it, I was in the age group for just one egg but one of my eggs wasn't looking very good so he went ahead and transferred both anyways. I was on progesterone for 10 weeks. I now have a beautiful 10 month old boy.
They were all wonderful, understanding and sympathetic. Some were even patients there as well. Nurse Jacky was amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I lucked out and my health does help offset the cost, but they did prepare a break down of exactly what insurance would cover and how much out of pocket I would have to spend

2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Payne met with us to discuss options for IVF. It was a difficult conversation and his caring nature made it so much easier. He explained options clearly and answered all our questions. During our treatment he was kind and could make me smile and laugh during stressful moments. After my miscarriage he was so empathetic and caring. He is a wonderful doctor who truly cares about his patients.
The clinic [Piedmont Repro] is wonderful and the staff are caring and supportive. From business office to nurses to doctors they are great...We used a donor so there was a great deal of information given to us regarding what steps the donor was undergoing for egg retrieval...Lindsey was our donor egg coordinator. She was amazing. So compassionate and a wonderful communicator with us. She never made me feel like I was driving her crazy with my zillion questions. She explained everything in detail and shared in our emotional ups and downs. She was so helpful too as we chose our donor.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Write down any questions you have so you can remember them in the appointments
He is very warm and caring - wonderful bedside manner. He explained everything clearly and talked to me with concern and caring.
We used a donor so there was a great deal of information given to us regarding what steps the donor was undergoing for egg retrieval. Our first try was a fresh transfer. Dr. Payne explained this was best to begin with. He explained statistics and our protocol in detail verbally and in writing. We used birth control, Lupron, estrogen and progesterone. We agreed to transfer one embryo. I was pregnant for almost 11 weeks. After my miscarriage Dr. Payne was so compassionate and encouraging that I was able to carry a baby. He did not push us to try again. When we were ready we tried again and it was a frozen transfer. Single embryo again. We did not use Lupron and progesterone was given by suppository- no injections. We now have a beautiful healthy baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The downside was that we had to drive to Greenville from N.C. for the transfer and the embryo creation. The clinic is wonderful and the staff are caring and supportive. From business office to nurses to doctors they are great. We did not have a great experience with our initial doctor but he has since retired.
Until our last transfer we did not have insurance coverage so it was all out of pocket. They gave us a discount which we appreciated and helped us find most affordable meds possible. We spent $30000 so far.
I am petite so we all agreed it was best for my health to transfer one. He did offer us information on stats of single vs multiple and we were allowed to choose
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor. ... . Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options.
Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly. ... The [PREG] clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
I liked Dr. McCoy as a person and a doctor, but I didn't feel he was super aggressive about treating my infertility, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He allowed my husband and I to steer the course through our fertility treatments, but a little more guidance may have been helpful at times... At 75% of my appointments/procedures I saw a different doctor or a nurse, but I was never told before I came that he wouldn't be present.
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]...The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost".
Endometriosis, Unexplained
If you want to actually see Dr. McCoy at a visit, make sure to request that. At 75% of my appointments/procedures I saw a different doctor or a nurse, but I was never told before I came that he wouldn't be present.
I felt like he was very present during our appointments, but he didn't necessarily remember me or the specifics of my case from one appointment to the next.
We used Femara on its own for several cycles. My previous doctor had only used Clomid, so he wanted to see how I responded to Femara. We did four cycles of IUI with the injectables, but no Femara, as he said the Femara would not make a difference. All cycles failed.
I saw several different nurses during my years of treatment at PREG, and they ranged quite a bit. All were nice and professional, but some seemed much more "equipped" for dealing with infertility issues that others. I had two instances where a nurse performed the IUI instead of a doctor, and neither went very well. The first took almost 25 minutes to complete, because of my weird anatomy, and was very painful during and for a long time after. The last IUI I got at PREG was performed by a nurse, who actually couldn't complete it and had to get a doctor to finish the procedure. That one also took about 30 minutes, but while it was uncomfortable, it wasn't as painful as the first.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I feel like the doctors are a strength, but it's hard to know when you'll see your doctor, so most of the time you'll be dealing with the staff. The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost". I can't make a financial decision without any real information, so I decided not to move forward with the treatment with this clinic. The doctors do frequent seminars about infertility and treatments, and if you attend they give you a $250 gift certificate, but I was never able to use mine because they don't accept it toward most of the costs not covered by my insurance, and it expired before it was applicable toward any of my bills, and they absolutely would not extend the expiration date.
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received.
+ Read more- Read less

I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he [Dr. John Nichols] strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.
+ Read more- Read less

I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he [Dr. John Payne] was during my visit for this procedure...never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question...was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I liked how the nurses at the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology] clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well...Overall, my husband and I probably spent close to $400 for our tests and procedures (which included a 2 semen analysis, blood tests, and a HCG test).
When I had my HCG procedure done, Dr.Payne was more than ready to address any concerns I had. He was very careful and gentle throughout the procedure. He explained every step he made. Afterwards, Dr.Payne helped me understand that I had no tubal blockage and carefully assured me that I could conceive. I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he was during my visit for this procedure.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions if there is something medically you don’t understand or comprehend. Dr. Payne never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question.
Dr.Payne was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I don’t recall any at this time.
I liked how the nurses at the clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic’s strengths would be their organization, friendliness, concern, time management, thoroughness, and communication. I don’t have much to say about weaknesses. I don’t recall feeling negative about anything during my visits. I’d recommend new patients to this clinic for sure.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring....Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.... They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
2014 - 2017
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
The entire staff [at PREG] was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr McCoy was always personable and eager to answer all of our questions. He was super knowledgeable - especially about male fertility and sperm retrieval processes (which we had to utilize due to my husbands nerve damage). He was very caring and spoke to use using lay-terms, not medical terms we didn't understand.... Dr McCoy and his staff were very welcoming and understanding of our fertility situation. He gave us hope of having a family of our own. They took the time to learn about our history and what we wanted.
The entire staff at PREG was amazing. They were all compassionate and understanding. When the egg monitoring ultrasounds were painful (I had an ovary that liked to hide) - the nurse held my hand. With all of the blood draws, the monitoring, the planning sessions - we were there a lot. And everyone knew our names and our situation.... Total cost was about $15,000 for sperm removal procedure, egg retrieval, embryo development and embryo transfer - and ALL medications for both me and my husband.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - this was all new to us and he was very patient with us and our million questions!
My husband had to have a sperm retrieval procedure. Then I was put on a series of hormone injections to produce a usable number of eggs (I have PCOS, so my number of eggs was never a problem). The eggs were removed and embryo's were developed. Due to my increased level of hormones still in my system, the viable embryos (3) were frozen until my next menstrual cycle. I was then implanted with the 2 most viable embryo's - both of which were successful! I successfully carried 2 girls until the week 20 - when I went into labor. Both girls were born vaginally, but neither survived.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I can't remember - but she was amazing!)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The team is very knowledgeable and very, very compassionate. They take the time to know their patients and cultivate relationships. As your planning your family - they feel like an extension of your family.
We requested both viable embryo's be transferred due to our age - we wanted a better chance of implantation.