9.7

1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
When I first met with Dr. Payne he made me feel heard. However, I thought he would be more involved in the ER process doing scans, reviewing labs, responding to message in the portal etc. Nearly all of that done was by nurses...No one explained my protocol or the reasoning behind it with either retrieval. I asked directly and got answers, but nothing was volunteered.
[PREG] Billing is SKETCHY. There are several things on the 'financial agreement' that aren't submitted to insurance...Recently I feel like they have overbooked themselves and are understaffed. If you need someone after hours or on the weekends godspeed getting in touch with anyone...No one explained my protocol or the reasoning behind it with either retrieval. I asked directly and got answers, but nothing was volunteered.
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Communicate more
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The nurses are quick to respond to emails/messages and return phone calls. During my two egg retrievals Dr Payne only did one of the five scans. My second egg retrieval was done by another doctor and that was never communicated it, I learned before hand when it was noted in my chart. Which is fine, but it would have been nice to know prior. After my first egg retrieval(19 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 11 embryos but only 2 made it to day 5 and 1 genetically normal) I scheduled a consultation to try and figure out why my numbers were so much lower than anticipated and didn't get a real answer. Constantly felt like I had to advocate for myself.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina, Meagan)
The nurses are quick to respond to messages/emails/calls.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Billing is SKETCHY. There are several things on the 'financial agreement' that aren't submitted to insurance. For example anesthesia isn't submitted. So you pay on average $1300 out of pocket for it for an egg retrieval. After talking to insurance they said they do cover it. They also charge a cycle management fee(varies on prices but $300-500). Double check what you are paying for, check with insurance with what is covered and ask lots of questions. I feel like they double dip and get away with it, but it is hard to prove. They are also only open mon-thurs 7:30-4:30 and fri 7:30-12:30. They make you fit into their schedule. Recently I feel like they have overbooked themselves and are understaffed. If you need someone after hours or on the weekends godspeed getting in touch with anyone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IVF was about $13k not including meds. They have a lot of things that aren't billed through insurance. Anesthesia, cycle management, etc. They might be a better clinic if you dont have any insurance coverage, but they won't file a lot of things through insurance. Other clinics in the area are certainly cheaper.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have had two instances when meds weren't called in. I realized two days before I needed to take my trigger shot they never called it in. They also didn't call in meds to my insurance for prior authorization. I felt like I constantly have to stay on them asking questions etc.

2021, Unsuccessful
[The first IVF cycle with Dr. Payne] 15 eggs were retrieved, 12 fertilized and on day 3 the lab called to say all embryos had arrested. Second time around 13 eggs were retrieved, 10 fertilized....the lab came to tell us that we had 1 bad quality morula. [Dr. John Payne] said we should just transfer. As I am trying to process this info they did transfer. I wish they would had called ahead of time and told me the outcome. I should have had time to decide whether or not to transfer.
They [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] did not communicate how the embryos progressed or even gave me the opportunity to think whether or not we wanted to transfer a low quality morula...They lack compassion and good manners. They are not good at communicating or giving you updates which I think is so important as you go through this process. There is never someone on call over the weekends and all their retrievals are scheduled twice a week when they should be working with each person to determine which is the right day...
I did IVF twice. The first time 15 eggs were retrieved, 12 fertilized and on day 3 the lab called to say all embryos had arrested. Second time around 13 eggs were retrieved, 10 fertilized. On day 4 I called to try to get an update and the nurse said “no news is good news. Unless you hear otherwise come tomorrow for transfer”. The next day we go in and nobody would say anything to us. They took us to the OR, I got undressed and then the lab came to tell us that we had 1 bad quality morula. The doctor said we should just transfer. As I am trying to process this info they did transfer. I wish they would had called ahead of time and told me the outcome. I should have had time to decide whether or not to transfer.
I would recommend they look for another clinic.
I felt like they were just running a business and were trying to collect money rather than caring how I felt throughout an emotional process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The nurses approach is “if we don’t call you it means every is ok with your results”. I think that either way it should be communicated and it would take them 2 minutes to call or send an email. It is nerve racking to wait all day wondering if they will call with bad news
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
No strengths. They lack compassion and good manners. They are not good at communicating or giving you updates which I think is so important as you go through this process. There is never someone on call over the weekends and all their retrievals are scheduled twice a week when they should be working with each person to determine which is the right day.
I had Progyny through my employer
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
They did not communicate how the embryos progressed or even gave me the opportunity to think whether or not we wanted to transfer a low quality morula. After my first retrieval nobody told me about side effects and I had to figure it out by myself
Greenville

hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations...I didn't feel warm or welcome from the start. Neither did my husband. We should have stopped there, but we continued on because we didn't think there was anyone else in the area to choose from (we used his office in Asheville, NC). Dr. Nichols did not ever follow up with us or make us feel valued. Again, we should have stopped before we started with him and his practice...
There were LOTS of problems with Dr. Nichols and his practice (PREG). We had issues with the following: billing (unclear and they even had a hard time explaining to us- - they seemed as confused as we were), insurance claims (would not communicate with our insurance company in a rapid manner - - took MONTHS to resolve an issues from nearly 6 months ago), nurses would sometimes call, but often NOT cal to inform us of what we needed to do when, hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations, I have an allergy to latex and nearly 80% of the time I would have to remind the staff of this before they went to do a check-up, procedure, etc. Overall, we (my husband and I ) felt the staff was only worried about the $ and not about the humans involved. I would NEVER recommend this practice to ANYONE! We were VERY dissatisfied and when letting them know this, they didn't seem to care - - no apologies or anything. Just "hate to hear that". FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE - - DO NOT USE PREG IN GREENVILLE, ASHEVILLE, SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ETC.!!!
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Go somewhere else - - anywhere else. Do not use John Nichols!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Because my husband I were both "normal" in ALL aspects, we started first with using Letrozole and then the timed Trigger shot. We did this three times with negative results. During this time, they found a polyp and removed that from my uterus. Then, we moved into IUI's, which we tried twice. I was having REALLY negative side effects from the drugs, and we weren't happy with PREG so we quit treatment until we could find another practice.
There was one nurse that was AWESOME, but I don't remember her name. She was the ONLY one that would call me back, seemed to GENUINELY care, and ALWAYS remembered my allergy to latex. The rest were VERY unimpressive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall, it just wasn't the clinic for us. Again, I think if we had to do it all over again, we should have stopped before we began with them and gone somewhere else. Even when we quit treatment, we had to battle with them for MONTHS afterward due to billing issues.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The first "sample" they took of my husband they messed up. Evidently it was supposed to go to the lab in the "frozen" state and they had accidentally "thawed" it - which ruined the test. We had come back and do it again. Often they wouldn't remember what was next for me and seemed VERY confused. I would call for questions regarding my medications, etc. and they would seem VERY confused as to what they had me doing, etc. For the IUI's they would try to schedule me later in the afternoon, but my husband was giving his sample in the morning. Then, they would have the epiphany that we were scheduling an IUI. It's like no one was talking to anyone - - it was strange and they never apologized - - just continued to bill and take the money.
Greenville

Make sure he's paying attention to your history...I don’t feel Dr Payne has been prepared when speaking with my wife and I. The meetings seem rushed and he doesn’t always seem to know our history (like he didn’t read the chart before talking to us). We mostly work with his nurse, but when we talk to Dr Payne it feels like we can be just a number...His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Kristina, Megan and Jackie [nurses at PREG] are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them...Too long to change meds when My wife had a drug intolerance... $500 IUI...$190 for intrauterine scan...$105 progesterone bloodwork...$600 HSG...The clinic itself is good. Front desk staff has been fine. Sometimes they don’t answer the phones until thirty min after they’ve opened. That’s the only drawback I’ve noticed. And you have to pay attention to what office picks up the phone because if the one you originally called doesn’t answer, then you can be routed to another.
The meetings with Dr Payne were lack luster. This is such an important time in our lives and he always seemed like he was rushing us. His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Make sure he’s paying attention to your history.
Femara, gonal f, prednisone, ultrasounds, hsg, baseline scans, progesterone bloodwork, semen analysis
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina )
Kristina, Megan and Jackie are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have no insurance coverage for infertility. $500 IUI $190 for intrauterine scan $105 progesterone bloodwork $600 HSG
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Too long to change meds when My wife had a drug intolerance.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
[Protocols with Dr. John Nichols] I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes... I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process...Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further.
Some of them [nurses at PREG] were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
Dr. Nichols (when he was around) explained things very clearly and plainly throughout the TIC, IUI, and IVF process. Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further. Or perhaps because I don’t have money he knew I couldn’t pay for more experimentation. He was wishy-washy about recommending a second try which is why I haven’t pursued anything else yet. I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process.
He speaks plainly.
For example, the day of egg retrieval it seemed as though they were herding a large number of women through the process like animals. There were probably 4-5 women in the same room at any time and they were herded in and out of the operating area. It felt very rushed and impersonal. I would have liked to have had more time to talk with the various people around about what was happening.
I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes which resulted in “everything looks fine and now you owe 4K that your insurance doesn’t cover too bad we couldn’t tell you that ahead of time”.
Some of them were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They seem to run their schedule well. Most appointments were on time and lasted as expected. Weaknesses may be that a lot of the staff seemed annoyed or exhausted to be there which was challenging to deal with when I’m already facing depression about my infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Drugs for TIC were fairly inexpensive due to insurance. IUI procedures were about 500 each, out of pocket. IVF including drugs was about 27,000 out of pocket. Got some refunded due to failure. Laparoscopic procedure was over 30,000 with most covered by insurance but about 4000 out of pocket.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My doctor did not believe it was safe to transfer more than one embryo at a time and I believe he will not perform those procedures.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Miscommunication about costs of procedures.
Asheville

Throughout the initial consultation, Dr. Payne barely made eye contact. He blamed that on having to type information into the computer. He spoke so fast that we could barely keep up with what he was saying. A couple of weeks later I received a bill for our initial consult visit and it was around $350 and that did not include the $250 we paid in the office that day for a semen analyis and blood work.... We only have completely one cycle of femara, ovidrel, TI. This was per John Paynes recommendation after the loss of our pregnancy in the fall. I only received information through a nurse or through the receptionist and very often if I had questions, I was sent to a voicemail.
Whenever we called with questions we were sent to a voicemail [at PREG-Greenville]. Every time. Most the time it would take a day to receive a phone call. There was a specific appointment that I was needing to cancel because we were heading out of town, when I asked the nurse what we should do, she made a statement about canceling the ultrasound and how that was not an option, even if I came in two days before. It made no sense to me when I asked further and she had very little to no answers for questions.
It was a horrible experience to say the least. We became pregnant naturally on a cycle not being treated, ended up having to terminate due to trisomy diagnosis and when we came back to the clinic there was not one mention or question about it. Back to "the plan" of fertility meds and appointment dates. I could not have felt more " investable" if I tried.
Get a second opinion or find a Doctor that truly can hear your story and help you down the right path.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - They are one of maybe 2-3 fertility clinics in the area so they have access to so many patients and have the opportunity to make a difference in these peoples lives. Weaknesses - They run the clinic like a business and the human factor has been lost. I didn't even feel like a patient. Truly disappointing. Do not go to PREG!
I still look through our bill records from PREG and some I cannot answer what we paid for. Thats a horrible feeling.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Whenever we called with questions we were sent to a voicemail. Every time. Most the time it would take a day to receive a phone call. There was a specific appointment that I was needing to cancel because we were heading out of town, when I asked the nurse what we should do, she made a statement about canceling the ultrasound and how that was not an option, even if I came in two days before. It made no sense to me when I asked further and she had very little to no answers for questions. In the first months of being treated here we truly thought we would get answers. Instead we received bills for things that were never alerted to us before hand. We went over financial information for some of the treatments offered and then would get a bill for $110 for talking with the Doctor. Made no sense. They are truly just concerned about the financial side of things.
Greenville

I felt that he [Dr. Edward Moore] did not communicate with me throughout the process and did not follow through with concerns that he said he would address. I was not forthcoming with information that would have been helpful earlier in the process. His lack of communication hampered my progress moving forward. I also felt he did not explore all options that were available to me but this is more likely due to his lack of experience.
Clinic [PREG- Columbia] did not have a warm atmosphere when you walked through the door. It is in an old remolded pharmacy. I felt I was not treated as an individual but as a number. The waiting room was not very inviting and usually had to wait for a while to be seen. They did not communicate with me when I reached out as I sent several emails but have not received an answer to my questions yet. The clinic
How was your experience with Edward Moore at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He lacks experience that will likely improve over time. I felt that he did not communicate with me throughout the process and did not follow through with concerns that he said he would address. I was not forthcoming with information that would have been helpful earlier in the process. His lack of communication hampered my progress moving forward. I also felt he did not explore all options that were available to me but this is more likely due to his lack of experience. However, he could have consulted with other more experienced doctors and come up with a better plan. Initially, he seemed to be very knowledgeable but as time went on I began to realize that the advice he was providing was not sound advice based on evidence.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Moore at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask about alternatives.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Moore at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I did not feel that he kept in touch with me as I would have expected along the process.
Describe the protocols Edward Moore used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I am unclear exactly what treatment strategies he employed because he never explained that aspect. He initially recommended IUI even though this was not based on any sound evidence.
Nursing staff were fine.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clinic did not have a warm atmosphere when you walked through the door. It is in an old remolded pharmacy. I felt I was not treated as an individual but as a number. The waiting room was not very inviting and usually had to wait for a while to be seen. They did not communicate with me when I reached out as I sent several emails but have not received an answer to my questions yet. The clinic
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Moore at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I am unable to recall the costs.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Clinic did not communicate and failed to reschedule when requested.
Edward Moore

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.... Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts.
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I went through one IUI even though days before the insemination the nurse said there may of been a polyp. I was not educated in knowing this could stop a pregnancy. Then after nearly a year between last IUI and IVF , I requested an ultrasound to test for polyps. I was correct in seeing that a few had come back again due to all the estrogen pills in system from the previous cycles. I also requested a HSG as this had never been offered or told to me that It could be a reason for infertility. Again I was corrected in having it checked as both tubes were closed and only one side opened after extra solution was pushed through. I feel we were cheated on the 3-IUI's as to the money we spent on the procedure and the medications. These things should of been done to check before procedures for someone my age, we could of become pregnant without the IVF procedure. The other issue I had was the communication that PREG had with the egg bank where we purchased our Donor eggs. A hurricane had gone through the area, but we were not given information for over a month that this was part of the delay in embryo creations and mailing to our clinic. 9/2017- they contacted embryo clinic to have container sent to them for the sperm from husband. Over a month passed before shipping container was sent to PREG for sample from CRM. Fault is mostly from CRM clinic but our coordinator should have been on it sooner and not left me in the dark for so long as to what was going on. I had to call and get them to respond to me with details.
Greenville

The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000
2018, Consult
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I selected lost paperwork because I don’t know what the deal was with why they kept calling me to the back and them dismissing me back up to the front, while they sorted out their issues on the back end.

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
My prescriptions were called in to the wrong pharmacy multiple times after I had been seeing them for over 6 months. I had to call [PREG] three times in regards to calling in a prescription one time. I called and requested a billing statement for tax purposes left a message and never received a call back, so had to call again. When I ended up with a bill and questioned why as I paid my balance in full at every visit as I was self pay with no fertility coverage Holly became very rude with me and told me it was my responsibility to know how much I am suppose to pay at each visit.
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
When we first started at PREG with Dr McCoy we left feeling very positive however every visit thereafter I feel like they were less than thrilled to see us, never remembered us by name and sometimes we had appointments two or three times a week. My medication pretty much remained the same every cycle with no success cycle after cycle, when asked about moving to the next step of IUI was told it was not much different than doing what we were already doing, but if we wanted we could give it a try. I had to ask for labs to be drawn for my AMH and FSH levels and base line labs. Unfortunately after 10 failed cycles and real no explanation as to why, we decided to seek treatment elsewhere.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask every question you can possibly think of, be an advocate of your infertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
When we had our first meeting with Dr McCoy it was a positive experience however from there on out, he never remembered our situation or mine or my husbands names. He had to pull up and review our chart every time he saw us.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I was started on femara only then after a few cycles of no success the trigger shot ovidrel was added then after a few cycles of no success prednisone was added. Unfortunately none of my cycles ended with success. He diagnosed me with PCOS, tubal blockage and anoovulation. The femara was to due to anoovulation the prednisone was for the PCOS and the ovidrel was to make me ovulate.
Every time I was seen it was mostly by a different nurse or NP, they would ask the same questions multiple times during my appointments which made me question if they were even listening to what I was saying.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Scheduling is very easy and they work with you on appointment times. The billing office/financial office is very difficult to deal with and can get very rude when questioned as to why your bill is the amount it is. Holly at the Columbia office is very un compassionate and rude.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Follicle scan was $182 consultation was $150 all my medications were bought at my local pharmacy or through freedom fertility pharmacy
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
My prescriptions were called in to the wrong pharmacy multiple times after I had been seeing them for over 6 months. I had to call three times in regards to calling in a prescription one time. I called and requested a billing statement for tax purposes left a message and never received a call back, so had to call again. When I ended up with a bill and questioned why as I paid my balance in full at every visit as I was self pay with no fertility coverage Holly became very rude with me and told me it was my responsibility to know how much I am suppose to pay at each visit.
Travis McCoy
Greenville

He [Dr. John Payne] was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Strength [for PREG]: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
He was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Ask all of your questions and them some because he will answer them.
I only saw him once and that was during my initial consultation.
I got IUI 3 times. I didn't have any history (not really) of infertility other than I'm single. You can't make a baby with just an egg, you know. Anyway, we knew that because of my age and my DOR that it might not be possible to get pregnant, but we went with IUI anyway. IVF would've been the better way to go, but not at those prices.
They were friendly enough when it came to my inseminations. They always checked everything to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to get. They were...nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
About $4500
My doctor didn't go that approach.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I had gotten my results back from my tests and it was as we had suspected. DOR. Not a surprise at my age. However, there was no follow up to the next steps. I had to call the clinic to find out. That's when I learned that my doctor had gone on vacation. I was very upset because I didn't want to lose a cycle by waiting for him to return. So, I called the clinic again and asked, "What are we doing here? Do I lose a cycle because I have to get his okay and starting my first IUI?" The nurse worked with me to get permission from another doctor at the clinic to get my meds so I'd be ready without having to wait until Dr. Payne returned.

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Before even doing any testing infertility testing [Dr. Nichols] said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive...creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results [at PREG]. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient... expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
Nichols creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
Be prepared, he’s not warm and fuzzy
Before even doing any testing infertility testing Nichols said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive.
Initially he starts you on the lowest dosages and then works his way up. After 3 cycles if the protocol doesn’t work, he changes the protocol for the next 3 in relations to IUIs. For IVF he had me on Menopur and Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk & Lynn Fowler)
The entire nursing staff was fantastic, couldn’t praise them more
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinics strengths would be the fantastic nursing staff. They are compassionate and really care about you, from your first experience until your last. I’ve had one really great doctor there and two not so great doctors in terms of bedside manner. As far as the doctors keeping you in the loop on your numbers (AMH, FSH, TSH, etc), they don’t tell you unless you ask. Front desk is nice, keep in mind they are very busy when you try to schedule appointments via phone, so have patience with them.
No insurance coverage, expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
He does it based on age, 30 and younger he only likes to transfer one and for 30 and above he will do 2.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient.

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
I liked Dr. McCoy as a person and a doctor, but I didn't feel he was super aggressive about treating my infertility, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He allowed my husband and I to steer the course through our fertility treatments, but a little more guidance may have been helpful at times... At 75% of my appointments/procedures I saw a different doctor or a nurse, but I was never told before I came that he wouldn't be present.
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]...The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost".
If you want to actually see Dr. McCoy at a visit, make sure to request that. At 75% of my appointments/procedures I saw a different doctor or a nurse, but I was never told before I came that he wouldn't be present.
I felt like he was very present during our appointments, but he didn't necessarily remember me or the specifics of my case from one appointment to the next.
We used Femara on its own for several cycles. My previous doctor had only used Clomid, so he wanted to see how I responded to Femara. We did four cycles of IUI with the injectables, but no Femara, as he said the Femara would not make a difference. All cycles failed.
I saw several different nurses during my years of treatment at PREG, and they ranged quite a bit. All were nice and professional, but some seemed much more "equipped" for dealing with infertility issues that others. I had two instances where a nurse performed the IUI instead of a doctor, and neither went very well. The first took almost 25 minutes to complete, because of my weird anatomy, and was very painful during and for a long time after. The last IUI I got at PREG was performed by a nurse, who actually couldn't complete it and had to get a doctor to finish the procedure. That one also took about 30 minutes, but while it was uncomfortable, it wasn't as painful as the first.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I feel like the doctors are a strength, but it's hard to know when you'll see your doctor, so most of the time you'll be dealing with the staff. The front desk staff doesn't seem to be trained in compassion for infertility issues. Also, their "financial counselors" are a joke. I made an appointment to find out my cost for an IVF, brought all of my insurance information. She couldn't tell me any exact costs on anything, and the range of costs to us was so broad that I might as well have just googled "how much does an IVF cost". I can't make a financial decision without any real information, so I decided not to move forward with the treatment with this clinic. The doctors do frequent seminars about infertility and treatments, and if you attend they give you a $250 gift certificate, but I was never able to use mine because they don't accept it toward most of the costs not covered by my insurance, and it expired before it was applicable toward any of my bills, and they absolutely would not extend the expiration date.
The costs I incurred were reasonable for the treatments received.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
At the beginning of our treatment we had a lot of issues with staff, specifically not getting calls with results. Then when i would call to follow up it always seemed like they were scrambling to find our information. I got a call with someone else's results at one point. Luckily I knew the call wasn't for me because it wasn't applicable to our treatment at the time. There were no egregious errors, just general disorganization. To be fair, this did seem to improve over time.
Travis McCoy

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Payne took us through a lot of diagnostics, but did not identify that my wife has the MTHFR gene. We did several IUI cycles with him, and we had to do an I&C with him as well. Those were all completed with proficiency, to be sure, but didn't result in a pregnancy.... Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever.... Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere.
Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient. We worked with PREG for about a year before we had had enough and sought out another clinic. Dr. Payne communicates well, and is kind to his patients. However, we just didn't feel like any of our treatment was personalized to our situation, and when we expressed our desire to take a different approach we felt that we weren't heard by Dr. Payne.
I would advise you to seek out a different clinic and a different Doctor. Dr. Payne has clearly had some success, but the clinic's overall philosophy does not include an individualized treatment plan for its patients.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever. On top of our poor experience with the doctors themselves and their treatment plans, none of the treatments resulted in a pregnancy.
Depending on the nurse that was assisting us that day, we had mixed feelings. Some of the nurses were very compassionate and gave us personal attention. Others were very business like and just wanted to get you in and out.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere. Weaknesses include their overall approach to treatment - which is to say, it is not personalized at all to the patient. Every patient that comes in follows the same basic treatment plan. In our experience, that plan is not very exhaustive and ignores information gained via diagnostics that could point to the actual issue. Whatever that issue is, you're going to go through the same treatment plan as everyone else.
I don't remember the specifics, but in general the IUI's were pretty affordable. Less than $1,000 per cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
We did have several issues where our nurses/coordinators failed to give us our results on time, got appointments mixed up, charged us incorrectly, and failed to call in prescriptions on time. Several times we had to scramble last minute to get the medicine/information we needed. Overall they were pretty good, but even one mistake of this type when the patient is stressing mentally is unacceptable.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr Cookingham was thorough at our first appointment but after that we never talked to her or seen her again after that. I was misdiagnosed and felt more like a number instead of a human. I think we could have gotten pregnant if she would have worked with us better or tried other courses of treatment...I felt rushed during all appointments and I felt like we didn’t matter. I was falsely diagnosed under her care
[PREG] Clinic was always clean and staff seemed very nice. The financial dept. was not very nice when it came to talking about OOP costs for IVF. They always picked up the phone immediately when I called. I think they try to get “plus size” women to lose weight because they think it will fix their fertility...Nursing staff had good days and bad days. I felt I was always rushed through my exams
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Use your voice and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Letrozole and trigger shot. Started with 2.5mg and ended up at 12.5. Ovidrel syringe was used. They never checked if I ovulated or my progesterone levels. No other medication was given
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Insurance covered most blood work and ultrasounds; but I did have copays averaging $30/visit. Medication was OOP, $2,000.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Refusal of progesterone tabs were an occurance that happened more than once. I felt like they didn’t do all that they could do to help us get pregnant.
Lisa Cookingham
Columbia

The doctor [Edward Tarnawa] spend more time discussing my weight than PCOS or treatment options...was great at explaining PCOS to me and going through all the initial blood test results...I felt like I was a number instead of a human. He recommended weight loss surgery - something that is major and permanent (also something my insurance doesn't cover). Despite telling him that I could get letters from my therapist, psychiatrist, and dietician that weight loss was not safe for me, he pushed it.
I loved that after meeting with the doctor [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group], I met with someone from financial that gave me a printout of what my insurance would cover and what it wouldn't, as well as potential costs. This made it helpful to think about long-term planning - going for IUI vs. IVF, etc. They also knew my insurance coverage well to know what BCBS would consider "infertility."...I was told they would only call with my blood test results if there was something wrong. If there was nothing wrong, they would just shoot me an email with the results and I wouldn't need a follow-up appointment. Then they called wanting to discuss my results which resulted in a few hours of panic, thinking something was wrong with my test results. Turns out they just wanted to go over the test results regardless.
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
While Dr. Tarnawa was great at explaining PCOS to me and going through all the initial blood test results, I felt like I was a number instead of a human. He recommended weight loss surgery - something that is major and permanent (also something my insurance doesn't cover). Despite telling him that I could get letters from my therapist, psychiatrist, and dietician that weight loss was not safe for me, he pushed it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
If you're a standard weight, it's fine. Come with lots of questions! He is good at answering them and putting you at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The doctor spend more time discussing my weight than PCOS or treatment options.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved that after meeting with the doctor, I met with someone from financial that gave me a printout of what my insurance would cover and what it wouldn't, as well as potential costs. This made it helpful to think about long-term planning - going for IUI vs. IVF, etc. They also knew my insurance coverage well to know what BCBS would consider "infertility."
Edward Tarnawa
Columbia

She [Dr. Gail Whitman-Elia] was knowledgeable, and open to individualized protocols. However, she wasn't very good about communication after the initial consult. Very much a "don't worry" type without addressing very real concerns and anxieties.... I feel she was open to individualized protocols. However, she was kind of distant after the initial consult. Leaving my care to the nurses.... I have very little good things to say about the nurses other than Emilee.
Location [PREG- Columbia] was ideal. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and professional. (Sanora and Brittany) Honestly, they were the best part of the clinic. The weaknesses were the lack of communication by the nurses and the doctor just brushing off care to the nurses.... I have very little good things to say about the nurses other than Emilee. Emilee was compassionate. The rest of my interactions with the nurses were not so great. They were either distant, clueless, or just plain rude. Communication was terrible as well.
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She was knowledgeable, and open to individualized protocols. However, she wasn't very good about communication after the initial consult. Very much a "don't worry" type without addressing very real concerns and anxieties.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She has lots of experience, however, she's not the best at communicating every step of the way, though most of the lack of communication was less on her and more on her nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Letrozole for follicular development and Ovidrel trigger prior to IUI.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Location was ideal. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and professional. (Sanora and Brittany) Honestly, they were the best part of the clinic. The weaknesses were the lack of communication by the nurses and the doctor just brushing off care to the nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This place was less expensive than the other local clinic. I do not remember specifics. Either way the process is expensive.
Gail Whitman-Elia

2018, Consult
I went to her [Gail Whitman- Elia] for a third opinion before moving to IVF. She talked to me in such a rude manner. She asked me what can I help you with, like I was at a drive thru window. Very condescending. When I asked questions she would respond saying like Dr. Singleton said and then repeat what her notes said. She had another person chart in her hand because she asked me and my husband if we were military because she had an approved authorization from Tricare.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group] is nice. Looks like a spa. The front desk girl was a bit rude. The financial coordinator did a good job explaining the different options to pay for IVF. The doctor wanted me to do some labs. I called to make an appointment to get started on my labs and I was transferred to the nurse line to leave a message. I left a message on a Monday. A week has passed and nobody has called me back.
I went to her for a third opinion before moving to IVF. She talked to me in such a rude manner. She asked me what can I help you with, like I was at a drive thru window. Very condescending. When I asked questions she would respond saying like Dr. Singleton said and then repeat what her notes said. She had another person chart in her hand because she asked me and my husband if we were military because she had an approved authorization from Tricare.
She looks like a sweet lady but she's not. She treated me and my husband very bad. She has this condescending tone. She stares at you like you're stupid.
She was very rude. She spoke in such a condensing tone. I wanted to cry while sitting there.
She said I'm young and I should save my money and do IVF.
They do not return calls.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is nice. Looks like a spa. The front desk girl was a bit rude. The financial coordinator did a good job explaining the different options to pay for IVF. The doctor wanted me to do some labs. I called to make an appointment to get started on my labs and I was transferred to the nurse line to leave a message. I left a message on a Monday. A week has passed and nobody has called me back.
She did not charge for the second opinion. I received an estimate of what IVF would cost me.
Gail Whitman-Elia

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Nichols was very pleasant and talked to me like I was a human being. He wasn’t just trying to convince me to do things his way he actually listened.... Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
The clinic [PREG] is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.... Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications.
We never got to a treatment still in the process of trying to do that. Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Giving him all of your information and allow him to provide you with his best medical advise.
No treatment has been provided at this time, we are in the process of moving forward.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.
Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications. Fresh egg cycle with donors are a bit more expensive, approximately an additional $10,000 plus the donors medication and procedure cost.
Columbia
He's [Dr. John Payne] nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored...I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
[Piedmont Repro - G'ville] Watch your bills. You'll end up with a different price every time you come. Also, keep an eye on your records because I've had a few times where thing either had to get confirmed and the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. KNOW YOUR PROTOCOL....I'm not sure if the doctors talk to each other, but I've seen just about all of them. They either don't know what's going on or don't convey the information to the other.
He's nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored.
Go in armed with your questions no matter how ludicrous they may sound. You're the patient who's most likely paying out of pocket, so get everything you can out of all your visits.
My insurance seemed to be the only thing that mattered. Also, LONG wait times in the office.
I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
They were fine. The IUIs were more painful than I remembered with my last RE.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
About $550 per visit. That price never seemed to stay the same though.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Embryo Freezing
My wife and I only saw John [Dr. Nichols] once during our treatments but when we did see him he was very straightforward and gave us all of the information that we needed. I felt confident after speaking with him and knew what all of the next steps and expectations where....The communication between the front desk, finance coordination and nurse [PREG] where lacking most of the time. When it came to knowing what we owed when we owed it there were often surprises
The clinic [PREG] was very compassionate and was always willing to help. The most stressful part of the process is finances and that’s where their weakness lies. The lack of communication makes it hard to know cost up front and we have had a lot of $500-$1000 surprises.... There was one cycle where they did not call in my birth control for two days. We had to keep calling them and the pharmacy to figure out what was going on.
My wife and I only saw John once during our treatments but when we did see him he was very straightforward and gave us all of the information that we needed. I felt confident after speaking with him and knew what all of the next steps and expectations where.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bishop and McKayla )
The communication between the front desk, finance coordination and nurse where lacking most of the time. When it came to knowing what we owed when we owed it there were often surprises because someone did not communicate all of the important information of what they would be doing during the appointments for effect pricing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was very compassionate and was always willing to help. The most stressful part of the process is finances and that’s where their weakness lies. The lack of communication makes it hard to know cost up front and we have had a lot of $500-$1000 surprises. If we did not have a back up budget I don’t know that we would have been able to keep up.
Total is somewhere around $33,000 overall
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
There was one cycle where they did not call in my birth control for two days. We had to keep calling them and the pharmacy to figure out what was going on. One of the cycles something was not scheduled correctly and we had to skip an iui treatment.

2021, Unsuccessful
Dr Payne is very knowledgeable. However, he does speak using medical terminology that the average person doesn't necessarily follow. He speaks very quickly- almost to the point where its hard to keep up. He was personable when you could get him but was often in a hurry for the next patient...Test results were given without much explaining and very little support/sympathy.
Billing was a huge weakness at [PREG]. We were charged incorrectly multiple times. Staff is busy and very little empathy was provided. Appointments were behind- if you came in for a 9:30 appointment, prepare to sit in the waiting room for at least 30 minutes...[nurse] was very rushed during visits. Communication wasn't great. Emotionless during a very emotional process.
Be sure to have all of your questions written out before you meet with him.
We were rushed in and out during each visit. Not much explaining was done. Very little communication. Test results were given without much explaining and very little support/sympathy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynn)
She was very rushed during visits. Communication wasn't great. Emotionless during a very emotional process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Billing was a huge weakness. We were charged incorrectly multiple times. Staff is busy and very little empathy was provided. Appointments were behind- if you came in for a 9:30 appointment, prepare to sit in the waiting room for at least 30 minutes.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using... I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVF to succeed.
He [Dr. Payne] spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using. Because I have done a lot of research and reading........I didn't feel too lost. However, my husband did.
I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVf to succeed. For example, taking certain vitamins or supplements.
As him all the questions you need and don't leave till you feel satisfied. You are the one paying for that appointment.
When Dr. Payne spoke to us. He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using. Because I have done a lot of research and reading........I didn't feel too lost. However, my husband did.
2014 - 2015, Consult
The strength of Dr.Moore is that he was very blunt and to the point...insinuating that my weight was a huge factor. I have prior conceived at the same weight so I know that is not a contributing factor in this situation...I was humiliated for my weight and shamed for wanting what every woman who is trying to conceive dreams of...treated like a slob...
build a tough skin if you are on the heavier side. You know your body better than anyone so don’t be discouraged...They [Nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were nice and helpful...[Dr. Moore] was very blunt...I was humiliated for my weight and shamed for wanting what every woman who is trying to conceive dreams of.
The strength of Dr.Moore is that he was very blunt and to the point matter of factory insinuating that my weight was a huge factor. I have prior conceived at the same weight so I know that is not a contributing factor in this situation. I just wanted to be treated like a human being and instead I was treated like a slob who was unworthy of wanting conception with my husband.
To build a tough skin if you are on the heavier side. You know your body better than anyone so don’t be discouraged.
In order to be considered a human you have to speak to people with dignity and respect. I was humiliated for my weight and shamed for wanting what every woman who is trying to conceive dreams of.
I was prescribed clomid for 3 cycles nine worked. I did ovulate however did not get pregnant. I can’t really remember any other protocol other than him telling me to try the SMEP plan.
They were nice and helpful. It wasn’t really anything to brag about as you should have some customer service skills when entering the building.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: blunt and honest Weaknesses: people are humans and have feelings we already feel less than having to come here but to be degraded due to weight is another low blow. If you are a new patient have a thick skin, make sure you have tried everything you can think of and utilize this opportunity as a means of desperation.
I honestly do not remember if I’m not mistaken the first appointment was around $350 and clomid was pretty inexpensive. I do remember having to have blood drawn and other testing which may be why it was so much
Describe Edward Moore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
we did not discuss this option at the time.
Edward Moore