9.7

1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
I remember he called me personally while he was on vacation to discuss using HGH on our second round of IVF (with my own eggs)...He takes the time to show up for every single appointment I have, which I love. He always makes me feel like I am the only patient he has at the practice...Dr. Payne allowed us to do a fresh transfer with the two embryos we had from our second round of IVF...After our two failed rounds of IVF with my own eggs, he never pushed me to donor eggs, which made me feel so good
[the PREG nurse] always replies to all my emails the rapid time and always with the kindest words...a package IVF cycle, which included two retrievals, and one FET, and that cost us roughly $18,000. But we spent another $10,000 on meds...The only weakness I would give PREG is there billing department. They have made a few mistakes with insurance, since I don’t have any fertility coverage. But when mistakes are made they are always addressed quickly.
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne calls me his “special patient”, mainly due to the fact that I always seem to have bad luck. And I truly am special, but because of that we have a very close connection. He always asks me how my day is, and talks about sports with my husband, when he comes for ultrasounds. He takes the time to show up for every single appointment I have, which I love. He always makes me feel like I am the only patient he has at the practice. After our two failed rounds of IVF with my own eggs, he never pushed me to donor eggs, which made me feel so good. My husband and I came to the decision to use donor eggs on our own. And when we choose the donor, Dr. Payne was so supportive. I remember asking for an ERA before we did a DEFET and he suggested he not and the transfer failed. He immediately felt remorse and even offered a free ERA and DEFET, to make up for the mistake. It was so nice knowing he not only had our back medically, but financially as a well. And after our donor egg transfer failed to produce a live birth, he has graciously offered a discount for another round of donor egg. He has helped us so much and made us feel good moving forward. The other part I love about Dr. Payne is his compassion. When we lost our identical twins due to my appendicitis bursting, he just felt awful. You could tell he was just as upset as we were. I am so excited to continue working with him and have never even thought twice about switching to a new doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I would tell any patient seeing Dr. Payne that he is caring, but always push the extra testing. I would also say that he always has your best interest at heart and truly wants the best for you, and you are not just a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. John Payne is the most incredible human being and doctor I have ever met in my life! He truly cares about his patients and is always completely invested in there story. I remember he called me personally while he was on vacation to discuss using HGH on our second round of IVF (with my own eggs). And it was so nice to see how much he cares. But what makes Dr. Payne the best doctor is he just cares so much. I became pregnant after our second transfer with our donor egg cycle and had horrible abdominal pain, and I thought I was having an ectopic pregnancy and rushed to the clinic for a ultrasound. It was reviled I had identical twins and he suspected I had appendicitis. He was so calm and collected but walked my husband on what to do and to take me to the ER right away. He and his entire team were so concerned about me and he even had his nurse check in on me through a contact she had at the hospital. And when I lost the twins due to the infection of my appendicitis, he was heart broken for my husband and I. He had so much sympathy and compassion for our horrible loss and the way we were treat at Prisma Health. Dr. Payne also listens to everything I have to say and answers any question. I am very type-a and a researcher, and he knows that. He doesn’t dumb things down for me we always brainstorm new ideas and new methods for the next round. He knows I will get pregnant and is committed to helping grow our family. There need to be more Dr. Payne in this world and I appreciate everything he and his practice have done for me and will continue to do for me.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
For our first IVF cycle, he did a micro-dose lupron protocol, and after it yielded 2 abnormal embryos I wanted to change things up, and Dr. Payne was totally on board! I had ask to do a natural start cycle with HGH and he reviewed it with the entire practice and decided to move forward with that. We changed up the protocol and even though it didn’t yield a positive pregnancy, I felt like it was a better cycle outcome. Once the two IVF cycles failed we moved onto donor eggs. He did a fresh cycle donor egg and I had asked an ERA and he didn’t think we needed it and after that cycle failed, he was complete on board with it and even suggested the full bout of testing. And after the third DEFET failed, I had asked for an interlipid infusion treatment and he agreed with this strategy. And although it didn’t work it was nice to have the support of my doctor to always be changing protocols, when things don’t work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk)
Lindsay is not only my care coordinator but most the times my nurse for ultrasounds. She is truly an angel sent from God himself! She always replies to all my emails the rapid time and always with the kindest words. When we have ultrasounds, she and Dr. Payne are always welcoming with a smile and a bubbly personality. On the day I came in so much pain, to find out I was pregnant with identical twins and suspected appendicitis, they cared for me greatly! They allowed me to lay down on the bed and wheeled me out in a wheelchair. One of the nurses Kristina even reached out to her dad, who was a doctor at the hospital we went to make sure I was ok. The entire staff where so concerned for me health and the babies health. I even had Lindsay email me and checked in on me after my surgery, and emailed me personally when I lost the twins to say how sorry she was for our loss. The staff at PREG is truly amazing and they work so well with the doctors and patients, and make everything run so well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a clinic who truly cares about there patients. They always answers he phone and emails in rapid response and always have a great attitude. The doctors and nurses are very efficient and I never feel like I have to wait in the waiting room for long periods of time. It is always welcoming and inviting space. The only weakness I would give PREG is there billing department. They have made a few mistakes with insurance, since I don’t have any fertility coverage. But when mistakes are made they are always addressed quickly. There aren’t really any negative things I can say about my clinic, and I would suggest anyone going to PREG over the other clinic (Fertility Centers of Carolina). I love that PREG is independent from PRISMA Health, and I feel like I am a human and given unique attention, which is something PRIMSA always lacks in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IUI’s were about $1,000 including meds. The clinic charged roughly $800. I did a package IVF cycle, which included two retrievals, and one FET, and that cost us roughly $18,000. But we spent another $10,000 on meds, so it was close to $30,000 for the two rounds of IVF. When we did the donor egg package, we paid $20,000, and another $5,000 for meds, FET’s, infusions, D&C, etc. Our next round of donor eggs will be about $20,400. Between the surgeries, therapy, and fertility treatments I have done thus far, my husband and I will be close to spending $100,000 on treatment.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne allowed us to do a fresh transfer with the two embryos we had from our second round of IVF, but really wanted us to do a single embryo transfer with the donor egg cycles. This last FET, he did allow us to transfer the last two embryos from the donor egg, because the grades weren’t as good.

2018 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. John Payne] knew how long we had been trying to conceive on our own, my prior history with endometriosis, cervical cancer, and he was very delicate with all of the facts and options for us...created a plan for us to move into the IVF process. In the end our retrieval, genetic testing, and transfer were successful. However, at 13 weeks we found out our baby had a rare birth defect that occurs 1 in 5,000-7,000 and was not a result of genetics. When we reached out to the clinic, he handled our conversation with the utmost compassion. We felt his sadness for us. Dr. Payne asked how we were doing and discussed counseling options for us. He went above and beyond in all aspects.
Strengths would be great communication, compassionate, trustworthy. Weaknesses would be flexibility with appointments. At times, it was hard as their availability did not always work with my schedule only due to the doctors rotating offices [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]...[nurse] always available either by phone or email to answer my questions the same day. She understood our anxieties and was very compassionate when scenarios worried us. She would always offer to bring me in and to check on the situation.
We spent several years with Dr. Payne. In the beginning, he discussed my history of endometriosis and my options. He was very knowledgable with my diagnosis and the appropriate approaches to take. We decided to start off slow and try timed intercourse. Eventually, I had another laparoscopy surgery to remove scar tissue from my endometriosis with their Director of Surgery, Dr. McCoy. He and Dr. McCoy worked wonderfully together and the process was seamless. They told me to allow a year after my procedure to try naturally since we were not ready for IVF yet mentally or financially. Each visit he was very attentive to our questions and concerns and we felt like we were receiving honest facts based on our specific situation. As our year approached, he created a plan for us to move into the IVF process. In the end our retrieval, genetic testing, and transfer were successful. However, at 13 weeks we found out our baby had a rare birth defect that occurs 1 in 5,000-7,000 and was not a result of genetics. When we reached out to the clinic, he handled our conversation with the utmost compassion. We felt his sadness for us. Dr. Payne asked how we were doing and discussed counseling options for us. He went above and beyond in all aspects.
If a patient has been out of the clinic for a longer time period to review their complete medical history before the consult as it can be difficult for the patient discuss certain matters at times.
Dr. Payne took his time to explain to us our procedures and what would benefit us most. He listened to us and did not push treatment on us. He knew how long we had been trying to conceive on our own, my prior history with endometriosis, cervical cancer, and he was very delicate with all of the facts and options for us. We did not feel like dollar signs. We were able to try the treatments that we felt comfortable with and financially ready for.
For my retrieval we did 11 days of stims used Gonal- F and Low dose HCG. I also took Keflex 500mg and Aspirin 81 mg daily. Provera was taken day 6-11. I used a Lupron trigger shot and a dose of Novarel 2 nights before my retrieval. The morning before my retrieval, I did one more Lupron injection and resumed pills. The day of my retrieval, Dr. Payne was able to retrieve 10 eggs, 9 were mature enough to fertilize, 8 fertilized, and 6 grew to blastocyst. All of our blastocysts were genetically normal after doing PGT-A testing. We began preparing for our transfer two months later, which consisted of a 24 day protocol. My medications consisted of Estradiol, Femera 2.5 mg, and Aspirin 81 mg daily. I began taking Progesterone in oil 100cc on day 18, in the evening. On day 19, Medrol 16 mg was added in the pm as well. On the day of the transfer, I took Valium 5 mg and Feldene 10 mg 1 hour before my transfer. Our first and highest graded embryo did not make it through the thawing process the day of which only occurs around 5 percent of the time. We moved to our next highest graded embryo and the transfer was a success. We were pregnant with a sweet baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina)
She was always available either by phone or email to answer my questions the same day. She understood our anxieties and was very compassionate when scenarios worried us. She would always offer to bring me in and to check on the situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would be great communication, compassionate, trustworthy. Weaknesses would be flexibility with appointments. At times, it was hard as their availability did not always work with my schedule only due to the doctors rotating offices.
I believe I paid $7,684 for my retrieval, transfer, and biopsy of my embryos for genetic testing. This was what insurance did not cover.
Our doctor strongly suggested transferring one embryo due to the grade and quality of our embryos being high as well as my cervical incompetence.

2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] is friendly and comprehensive in her plan, explaining the tests she wanted to run, and answering questions I had. She also was great during followup for explaining the plan going forward. I did not see her for my HSG or IUI procedure but she was in touch following both visits via the portal/phone.
[PREG - Columbia] Strengths are definitely the nurses and the ease of getting someone on the phone or having questions answered in the portal...Weaknesses were the initial financial explanation for self pay patients...They were very welcoming and accepting of my want to use donor sperm to get pregnant as a single, queer person.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She is friendly and comprehensive in her plan, explaining the tests she wanted to run, and answering questions I had. She also was great during followup for explaining the plan going forward. I did not see her for my HSG or IUI procedure but she was in touch following both visits via the portal/phone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Come with questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She spent time during my consultation to answer any questions. She is very charismatic and friendly. She has since been available to answer questions via phone and the portal.
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
After Day 3 testing and an HSG, I did medicated, monitored cycles. I took letrozole (pill) from days 3 to 7, then had an ultrasound and trigger (Ovidrel). Ghe plan is to repeat the same protocol for IUI #2 and #3 if needed before moving to IVF.
How competent was Lisa Cookingham at LGBTQ care?
She wasn't phased at all that I'm a single woman trying to get pregnant on my own. My sexuality was never questioned or given a raised eye. I felt that Dr Cookingham was accepting that I just wanted to get pregnant and never questioned my motives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Michaella)
Michaella is Dr Cookingham's nurse assigned to me. She answers the portal questions a lot and she was the one who did my monitoring ultrasound and did my trigger. She was also there during my insemination. Very happy with Michaella and her attentiveness and thoroughness in answers. She pays attention and is very responsive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses were the initial financial explanation for self pay patients, especially after my insurance coverage changed between the consultation and mt IUI. It took some emails to get them to rerun my insurance showing that I do have coverage. Strengths are definitely the nurses and the ease of getting someone on the phone or having questions answered in the portal. Someone has always answered the phone or called me back when they said they would and it's very reassuring when you have minute questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
HSG $600 Labs $330 (out of pocket through insurance) Day 3 Ultrasound $200 Monitoring ultrasound $180 IUI $500 Initial consultation $200 Phone followup $50 Ovidrel $100 Letrozole $3
How competent was Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group at LGBTQ care?
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I used donor sperm. I had no problems getting paperwork signed for different sperm banks and had no problems with sperm delivery or thaws.
Lisa Cookingham
Columbia

Dr. McCoy was very thorough. He never seemed to be rushing through appointments. He continued to confirm our understanding of all of the information he was providing us with. He seemed to be very considerate of our feelings and made sure that we had all of the information, as well as all of the options available to us...He had us follow up with several appointments to have bloodwork done to insure that the medicine was working properly. If it was not, he had a back-up plan, which was an HCG injection
The [PREG] staff is excellent. Everyone is so friendly. The wait times are short and I don’t know that I have ever waited longer than 10 minutes at an appointment...[our nurse] She provided me with contact information and was always available to answer questions for me...The weakness and only complaint I have is that waiting on results took a long time and sometimes I had to call and leave messages for a call back to get results...
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was always kind. He always kept us optimistic with our options. We always left appointments happy with the knowledge that we were provided with, and always had a clear understanding of what to expect in the future. Dr. McCoy explained our diagnosis thoroughly and provided us with the regimen he wanted us to follow. He was very knowledgeable about our diagnosis, and knew what treatment plan would work best for our situation. We never had to switch any medications or treatment plans after seeing Dr. McCoy, the medication and plans he recommended were always successful! He preformed my husband’s sperm retrieval surgery and it went very well! He did so well and was able to retrieve exactly what we needed with a much smaller incision than what we were expecting and minimal damage, which made his recovery a breeze! Dr. McCoy also preformed my embryo transfer. I was SO nervous, but I felt much more relaxed and comfortable after he entered the room and started talking to me. It is so comforting to have a doctor who is confident, knowledgeable, polite and encouraging. Our transfer was a success and we finally have our miracle baby, all thanks to him! I couldn’t be happier with the care he provided us with!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Trust his knowledge and his treatment plan. I believe he will always do what is in the best interest of his patients!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy was very thorough. He never seemed to be rushing through appointments. He continued to confirm our understanding of all of the information he was providing us with. He seemed to be very considerate of our feelings and made sure that we had all of the information, as well as all of the options available to us. He was always kind and had great bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My husband had a sperm count of zero. Dr. McCoy did an exam and determined he had a blockage. He also ordered a blood panel and determined that his FSH was low, as well as his testosterone, which was critically low at 102 (Dr. McCoy informed us that the normal range is anywhere from 400-1000). So he determined that my husband had low brain signaling along with the blockage, which made our case a little more difficult. Dr. McCoy started our treatment plan with trying to correct the hormonal issue. He prescribed Clomid, which he explained would hopefully trigger the brain to start sending the proper signals, resulting in better hormone levels. He had us follow up with several appointments to have bloodwork done to insure that the medicine was working properly. If it was not, he had a back-up plan, which was an HCG injection. Luckily the Clomid worked excellent for us and his hormone levels came up to the normal range! He ordered a second sperm sample, just to be certain of the blockage that he had suspected and his sperm count was still zero. So we got the confirmation we needed about that. We continued the Clomid for 8 months, and when all of his bloodwork was in the goal range, Dr. McCoy preformed his sperm retrieval. The day of the sperm retrieval, Dr. McCoy did a wonderful job. He was able to retrieve more than enough to fertilize all of my eggs and also had plenty of sperm left to freeze, so the procedure was very successful. He was able to get exactly what we needed with just a small incision, so the recovery was a breeze for my husband! He did a great job determining when to schedule the sperm retrieval around my egg retrieval and the timing of everything lined up perfectly! During the process of the stimulation shots for my egg retrieval, I had an ultrasound done and the nurse noticed that my follicles weren’t maturing as quickly as they had hoped, so Dr. McCoy tweaked the dosages of my stim shots and that did the trick! The next ultrasound they were right on track! Our embryo transfer was also done by Dr. McCoy and was a success! He did an excellent job handling all of our obstacles and was able to give us our miracle!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynn Fowler)
Lynn did a great job. I was very overwhelmed at the start of the IVF process. After receiving the schedule with all of the medications and injections that you’ve never even heard of before, the days, times and dosages. What’s to be refrigerated and what isn’t, etc. it was a lot to take in, in such a short time. Lynn reassured me that she would keep in contact with me and make sure that I understood everything! She provided me with contact information and was always available to answer questions for me.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are definitely that they have great providers! The staff is excellent. Everyone is so friendly. The wait times are short and I don’t know that I have ever waited longer than 10 minutes at an appointment! I always felt “at home” while at PREG, which is great! Sometimes infertility and all of the procedures and questions can feel uncomfortable and like an invasion of your privacy, so having people to make you feel comfortable during these times is a must! I was happy to have that comfort at PREG. The weakness and only complaint I have is that waiting on results took a long time and sometimes I had to call and leave messages for a call back to get results. The day of my blood pregnancy test, they took the sample and ensured me that I would receive a call with the results within a few hours. I had the bloodwork done at around 8:15 in the morning and I t was 30 minutes before the office was supposed to close for the day and I hadn’t heard anything. Of course I had been pacing the floor with the phone in my hand all day waiting on that important call. So I called twice before they closed and the second time I asked that I speak with someone right then because I had been told I would get a call right back and didn’t receive one. I finally talked to someone and got the results 5 minutes before they closed for the day. There were a few other instances like that with lab results. I had to call and ask for the results after days of not getting a call that I was told I would receive hours or the next day and never did. So that was kind of frustrating and the only downside I found at PREG.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Testicular Aspiration $3,650 IVF medication $5,000 IVF $12,500 Bloodwork, ultrasounds, semen analysis, consults, etc. approximately $2,500-3,500?
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. McCoy discussed with us his reasoning for doing a single embryo transfer and we totally trusted his judgment and had a clear understanding of why he thought that to be the best option for us.

2021 - 2022, Successful
He [Dr. Tarnawa] never makes our appointments feel rushed or he needs to get to the next patient in his very busy schedule. Anytime I feel like I’m spiraling the second I meet with him about my concerns or confusion he immediately puts me at ease...He always put my mind at ease with his extensive knowledge. I would love to see him more in the treatments but at the same time he is always willing to jump on a call or schedule a meeting if necessary...
Their [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] compassion in telling us devastating news and their joy in celebrating the wins along with us is everything! Also having a nurse say she’s praying for you is the most comforting thing I’ve ever experienced in a medical setting. They answer all of my 50 million questions with 0 frustrations while being short staffed and dealing with countless other patients...
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Don’t be afraid to ask a million questions and come prepared for your meetings so you get the best of your time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He never makes our appointments feel rushed or he needs to get to the next patient in his very busy schedule. Anytime I feel like I’m spiraling the second I meet with him about my concerns or confusion he immediately puts me at ease.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I have endometriosis and one blocked Fallopian tube and my husband has low sperm count. Husband was put on clomid which we saw amazing results with that treatment for him. We were given a less than 5% chance of getting pregnant on our own and that IVF would be the best option for us. He didn’t think that IUI would work for us but was willing to give us 3 chances. After that he felt we would be throwing money away. (Loved the honesty!) We did our first IUI in October and resulted in a biochemical pregnancy. We were devastated. We had never seen a positive pregnancy test before and they short lived joy of that was really hard when we got our blood test results. Dr. Tarnawa and the nurses explained what that meant and why it can happen and gave us so much peace. We had to skip November’s cycle due to hormone levels taking awhile to come back to normal. We were scheduled to do another IUI in December and found out the day before Christmas that our IUI was cancelled due to my dominant follicle being on the side with the blocked tube. (Devastated was an understatement.) We did our second IUI in January and we were both on clomid and I had 1 trigger shot. We also did daily progesterone vaginal suppositories to help in case my lining was too thin and that could be a reason for a biochemical pregnancy. We found out 2 weeks later that it didn’t work. (4th month in a row of devastating news.) We met with Dr. Tarnawa in January and had the hard conversation of deciding to skip our 3rd IUI opportunity and moving to IVF. IVF increases our chances from 5% to 65%. I have a very high AMH which should give good results in follicle counts and eliminating the need to follow my bodies natural cycle and eliminating the use of the Fallopian tubes should give us the best results in having our own family!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Katie and Krystal)
I don’t know how we could have survived the last 4 months without Katie and Krystal. Their compassion in telling us devastating news and their joy in celebrating the wins along with us is everything! Also having a nurse say she’s praying for you is the most comforting thing I’ve ever experienced in a medical setting. They answer all of my 50 million questions with 0 frustrations while being short staffed and dealing with countless other patients! Can not say enough good things about them!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are the staff. They’ve become like extended family members. Always remembering what’s happening in our life outside of the treatment. I’d say a weakness is that they seem short staffed as we’ve gone on with the clinic and more couples are going to them now that they expanded into the area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I believe we are at about $5,000 and it will being jumping to $20,000 in the next 2 months.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Nichols was direct, but has never made me feel rushed. He always explains every treatment thoroughly and allows time for me to ask any question I may have. He was not very personable from the beginning, but the longer I have seen him, the more personable he has become. He always gives me all of the options available, but also gives me room to make decisions. Before I come in he has already read my chart and is ready to explain any test results and next steps...
The staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] are personable, quick to respond, and able to get me answers easily. They listen well and help me to figure out next steps. Because my insurance does not cover insurance, they always make sure to help me make decisions so that I am able to spread out costs or make sure I can bill anything that is not infertility related (for example, surgery for endometriosis) to my insurance. They have a team member on staff that has explained the in's and out's of financing for IVF and they offer programs to help with payment as well as advertising various support groups around the office...
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Strengths: Clear and Direct Communicator, Allows me to make my own decisions based on facts given, always leaves room to answer any questions Weaknesses: Can come across cold, did not seem interested in doing additional testing unless specifically requested when diagnosing unexplained infertility
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Do not expect to be coddled, Dr. Nichols is a great doctor, but is not someone I would describe as warm. Cleary explain your expectations, what you are willing to do and not do and he will stay within your set guidelines and/or boundaries.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My first 3 cycles with Dr. Nichols included: Day 3-5 Letrozol, Day 12 baseline ultrasound with trigger shot and IUI performed the same day: Cycle 1: 4 Mature Follicles, Cycle 2: 2 Mature Follicles, Cycle 3: 2 Mature Follicles We continued to do the same treatment as I had mature follicles each cycle. After 3 failed IUI's we did a follow up meeting to discuss the next treatment options. I was considering doing a surgery for suspected endometriosis for years. Dr. Nichols told me I could do that, proceed with up to 6 (3 more) IUI cycles, or move on to IVF. I was given an IVF packet that explained what that would look like. I chose to follow through with the surgery. I proceeded with the surgery and found stage 1+ endometriosis that was removed. In my follow up meeting post-surgery, Dr.Nichols recommended I continue treatment immediately in order to ensure that the endometriosis did not return. He gave me a range of 3 months to a year before it could return. We chose to proceed with 3 cycles of letrozol, trigger shot, and baseline ultrasound post surgery. We found follicles everytime, but were unsuccessful each time.
I usually have the same nurse, but it sometimes rotates to others. My primary nurse has always been kind and personable. She tells me exactly what is going on during follicle scans, answers my questions clearly, and gives me directions on next steps. She explains any risks associated with too many follicles or any other issues I have had.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff are personable, quick to respond, and able to get me answers easily. They listen well and help me to figure out next steps. Because my insurance does not cover insurance, they always make sure to help me make decisions so that I am able to spread out costs or make sure I can bill anything that is not infertility related (for example, surgery for endometriosis) to my insurance. They have a team member on staff that has explained the in's and out's of financing for IVF and they offer programs to help with payment as well as advertising various support groups around the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
For an IUI procedure it was ~$650 all in (follicle scan, sperm washing, insemination). Associated medication were about $150. Medicated cycles were about $150 for follicle scan, $150 for associated medications.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Typically his approach is single embryo transfer for lessening the risk of multiples...Dr. Tarnawa is both empathetic and factual. Meaning, he helps my husband and I understand the steps involved in our plan detail by detail...We used a Clomid protocol at first for IUI. That gave me a bad headache so we switched to Letrozole. For IVF we used a more aggressive protocol..
This is a newer branch of PREG so I think they’re working on the need for more staff or equipment to be able to do more of the IVF procedures at the Lowcountry location. The only comment I’d make is for my husband. When we have gone in for his sample he said the rooms are not very comfortable for him and there isn’t usually tissues or sink or anything for him...my main nurse and is just such a fast responder and compassionate human
Dr. Tarnawa is both empathetic and factual. Meaning, he helps my husband and I understand the steps involved in our plan detail by detail. He has drawn pictures for us and taken phone calls to help us feel good about our decisions and walk us through the facts while being very patient and understanding.
Be flexible. Just because there’s a protocol in place doesn’t mean it’s an exact science. We have changed our plans a little but that’s all it is. Readjusting and taking small steps. Never be afraid to ask your questions! That’s what they’re there for.
Both Dr. Tarnawa and nurses working with me never ever forget my case details. They’re emphatic and also realistic and help us understand the science and “why” which I appreciate. I have never felt unheard and there’s always a plan.
We used a Clomid protocol at first for IUI. That gave me a bad headache so we switched to Letrozole. For IVF we used a more aggressive protocol. BC 5 days before starting my new cycle and Gonal f and low dose Hcg. I did that antagonist protocol for 4 days and unfortunately a lead follicle took off. Instead this time we are using estrace and omnitrope with Gonal f and hcg to help the follicles grow together. We start this round tomorrow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Katie Walker)
Katie is my main nurse and is just such a fast responder and compassionate human. I feel so comfortable with her and know that when I write in or call she always responds that day and gets me in when needed. The whole staff is lovely and I feel like they all care and just make you feel good in a tough situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was able to get in so much sooner than the other local place. This is a newer branch of PREG so I think they’re working on the need for more staff or equipment to be able to do more of the IVF procedures at the Lowcountry location. The only comment I’d make is for my husband. When we have gone in for his sample he said the rooms are not very comfortable for him and there isn’t usually tissues or sink or anything for him. But that’s it.
It was about $12k or $15k for IVF with genetic testing. I don’t know that that includes meds. IUI was around $1000 first time and $600 the next without the HSG test.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Typically his approach is single embryo transfer for lessening the risk of multiples. I don’t see an issue with this if it’s a safer approach.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Payne understands that there is no black and white handbook when it comes to infertility care. He thoroughly explains the issues that are known, he explains his recommendations, and he gives you adequate time to make decisions without pressure...I am technically diagnosed with unexplained infertility. However, I have failed 2 out of 3 HSGs, so we are assuming my tubes are an issue as well... So instead of wasting efforts and resources on IUIs, we went straight for IVF
[our PREG nurse] was the most gentle nurse I've dealt with. She called to check on me each time after our chemical pregnancies, and I know she was just as heartbroken as we were...I will say the billing department is somewhat lacking. We've had several issues with billing to insurance when it is cheaper to pay out of pocket... but no one communicated that until it was already billed..
Dr. Payne understands that there is no black and white handbook when it comes to infertility care. He thoroughly explains the issues that are known, he explains his recommendations, and he gives you adequate time to make decisions without pressure. It's easy to assume that when you go to a fertility specialist, they will be able to diagnose you during your first appointment, and "fix" you by the second. However, it is more of a journey than a one stop shop, and while it is a difficult journey for most of us, Dr. Payne is there with you every step of the way... answering questions and looking ahead to the next step of the journey.
Just trust the professional. He's been in his line of work for years, and he is willing to work with you and try new things to reach your pregnancy goals.
Dr. Payne is thorough in his explanations. He doesn't try to make you feel stupid or rushed. He knows this is probably one of the hardest battles you will ever go through, so he listens and adapts his treatment options to the individual couples' needs.
I am technically diagnosed with unexplained infertility. However, I have failed 2 out of 3 HSGs, so we are assuming my tubes are an issue as well... So instead of wasting efforts and resources on IUIs, we went straight for IVF. Before coming to PREG, I was on an insane amount of Clomid Cycles (25ish)? Dr. Payne did away with that, proceeded with the IVF protocol. 1 Egg retrieval resulted in 5 embryos to blast. For our two transfers, we did Estrodiol and Progesterone. Sadly, the two transfers resulted in two chemical pregnancies and a great deal of heartbreak. However, we are getting ready for a myomectomy and a mock transfer to test the uterine lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla Carver)
Makayla was the most gentle nurse I've dealt with. She called to check on me each time after our chemical pregnancies, and I know she was just as heartbroken as we were.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The healthcare side is second to none. They bring it everyday, and work together brilliantly to achieve baby goals. I will say the billing department is somewhat lacking. We've had several issues with billing to insurance when it is cheaper to pay out of pocket... but no one communicated that until it was already billed. I think if billing communicated a little bit better, it would make the clinic five stars.
I believe the HSG was $600ish. The IVF egg retrieval and first transfer was $12,000ish. And the following transfers were $3500ish. Labs are extra, initial ultrasound was extra, and semen analysis was extra, but I'm pretty sure all of those fell under the $500 mark, individually.
Dr. Payne strongly encouraged eSET.

2020 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Tarnawa always sat down with us to help us understand the things that needed to be done and afterwards, why they happened a certain way. We were always greeted and asked how we were. He showed compassion throughout and even after our time with him...He leaves no stone unturned when he is making sure that everyone of his patients has the best possibly for success in whatever they may be trying to achieve.
I really enjoyed going to this [PREG] clinic. It made me feel welcomed everytime I walked through the door, which was alot. They make sure that you have the best understanding of what is going on and what needs to be done...The nursing staff was very helpful and compassionate...I agree with his approach to eSET.
I absolutely loved being Dr. Tarnawa's patient. He had the biggest heart and most compassion I have ever seen in any doctor. He leaves no stone unturned when he is making sure that everyone of his patients has the best possibly for success in whatever they may be trying to achieve.
The best advice I can give is to let Doctor Tarnawa do whatever test or procedure he believes is necessary. No matter how much you don't want it or even if you think it is unnecessary. He is trying to give you the best chance possible.
When I first started seeing Doctor Tarnawa I was all but ready to start an IUI cycle with my former doctor. At our first appointment he sat down with my husband and I and went over what he thought of our previous plans and what he believed should be done. After discussions we decided since I am a carrier of DMD that we would go with an IVF cycle with PGT. Being overweight I needed to reach a certain BMI in order for the IVF to be done. Once I achieved the weight goal and went through all the testing he required, ultrasounds, genetic test for my parents, and medication for embryo retrieval. He retrieved 3 eggs, 2 became embryos, and 1 egg came back genetically normal. He found that I had a uterine polyp and preformed the removal of it. I went through the medication procedure and he transferred my one embryo, which didn't take. He checked in on my husband and I afterwards and gave us hope for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Cutler )
The nursing staff was very helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really enjoyed going to this clinic. It made me feel welcomed everytime I walked through the door, which was alot. They make sure that you have the best understanding of what is going on and what needs to be done.
My insurance provided a once in a lifetime $20000 fertility treatment coverage and $10000 fertility medication coverage. The clinic dealt with the insurance company and I just paid copays.
I agree with his approach to eSET.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
As a patient, I would recommend Dr. Nichols. I felt that he explained everything to us and what to expect in our consultation. We live far away from our clinic and he was able to make progress with us in just a few visits. I also had to have a procedure completed and I felt like he was very compassionate and caring when I was anxious and nervous. I look forward to working with him and his facility in the future.
The Preg Asheville team have absolutely been wonderful. I feel that I am a person who has a lot of questions and I always felt like they were answered promptly and completely. The team was so compassionate to me during my loss and I have no complaints...Anytime I have ever had any questions, I always, always receive an answer back that day. They even worked me in when I felt like I needed to be seen again. I don’t have any weaknesses to mention because they have been very helpful, compassionate and understanding of my needs.
Just be patient, not everything happens overnight but he will work with you to find a solution.
I felt like he took the time to explain things to me and especially took the time to talk to me after a procedure that I had to have performed.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility in early November of 2021. We started letrozole 5mg and also a trigger shot in December. We did this for 2 months and then we upped my dosage of letrozole to 7.5mg with a trigger shot. I fell pregnant that cycle. Unfortunately, the baby’s heart stopped beating around 8 weeks and I was going to have a miscarriage. I was given several options on how to treat the miscarriage. I was never pushed into any treatment that I didn’t want to do. I chose to have a D&C. After the procedure, the doctor made time to talk with me about how everything went and next steps. He called me the next week with my D&C results and what our next steps were. Even though we lost our first pregnancy, I have hope to keep trying because of Dr Nichols and his nurses in Asheville.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Wynni and Hillary )
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly can only say strengths for this clinic. Anytime I have ever had any questions, I always, always receive an answer back that day. They even worked me in when I felt like I needed to be seen again. I don’t have any weaknesses to mention because they have been very helpful, compassionate and understanding of my needs.
I have to pay my copay for a specialist when I see the doctor. That is $70 each visit. I also have to pay for my medication which is close to around $150 a month right now. I also paid for my D&C which was around $850
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I have gone several months without seeing or communicating with Dr. Nichols. The majority of interactions are with his nurses and I have seen him maybe three times in the 11 months I have been a patient of his...He offers multiple options for treatment to allow me to choose what is best. He also took cost into account when recommending treatment options.
The [PREG - Greenville] clinic is great at offering appointment times that work well with my schedule. I live over an hour away and it is really convenient to have the option of getting my appointment in at 7:30 and not having to miss much work. Billing can be a weakness at times. I am self pay as my insurance has no coverage...[nurses] Kristina and Shannon have been excellent to work with. They have been calm and kind during difficult visits.
Dr. Nichols was highly recommended to me when searching for a physician. While I know he is involved in my care, I have only seen him in person at 2-3 visits. He offers multiple options for treatment to allow me to choose what is best. He also took cost into account when recommending treatment options.
Be prepared with questions before you enter a visit if at all possible. Also, know that he is pretty straight to the point and realistic.
Dr. Nichols started me initially on 2mg of Letrozole for a few days. When my ultrasound showed no growth, we increased the dosage in that same cycle. We again had the same result and increased in the end to 10 mg for 5 days. Since this dose did create follicle growth, we continued with this in the following mont and added Ovidrel for OI to have better control over when I ovulated. He suggested that we could initially start with OI and TI in order to save on costs. We did this dosage for three more months which were all unsuccessful. We then decided to do the HSG which revealed that I have a unicornuate uterus. He then recommended we switch to IUI. We completed that cycle with OI and TI instead due to cost and then used the same medications for the month we unsuccessfully completed IUI. We planned for another month of IUI on the same medications but the follicle scan showed no follicle growth. He suggested that we could add goal f to the current round. However, since our firth month with medication at the start resulted in three increases in meds and three ultrasounds (all out of pocket) we decided to wait until the next cycle to add goal f. IN the last cycle we completed, we used 10 mg letrozole for 5 days and two injections of goal f 75 mg on days 7 and 9 I believe. The ultrasound again showed minimal growth so Dr. Nichols ordered 4 more days of goal f 75 mg to attempt to increase growth but not too much as too many eggs would be against medical advice given my unicornuate uterus. The second ultrasound again showed minimal growth and Dr. Nichols recommended finishing out the cycle with no IUI and attempting again the next cycle with increased medication. Dr. Nichols only recommends two more rounds with these meds as at this point, medication costs start resembling those of IVF. He recommends moving to IVF if we continue to be unsuccessful as the dosage we use in goal f will not matter as much with an egg retrieval as it does with IUI given my circumstances.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina and Shannon)
Kristina and Shannon have been excellent to work with. They have been calm and kind during difficult visits. After my HSG, I was very emotional. Kristina sat with me for a while, explaining things to me, providing tissues, and offering support and time. She also supported me through the HSG by reminding me to breathe and talking through every step of the process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is great at offering appointment times that work well with my schedule. I live over an hour away and it is really convenient to have the option of getting my appointment in at 7:30 and not having to miss much work. Billing can be a weakness at times. I am self pay as my insurance has no coverage. I have been charged different amounts for the same testing from one visit to the next but this has been corrected by bringing my receipts with me to each appointment. I have sent emails before requesting cost of certain procedures and tests and did not receive a response, though I did receive an answer when I called and left a message with the nurses.
All of my costs are out of pocket as I am self pay. HSG was $600. Each vaginal ultrasound is $190. Progesterone test is $60. IUI costs $500 plus medications (goal-f 2 75 mg is about $200, ovidrel is around $100, and letrozole is about $9). An office visit or phone call to speak with the doctor is around $60.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had a slightly elevated TSH and was started on levothyroxine before I even started cycles with treatment. I was told I would have my TSH levels rechecked and have asked on more than one occasion but still have yet to have this test ordered after being on levothyroxine for nearly a year.
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. McCoy is always available to answer questions and concerns. He explains everything in detail and he leaves no page unturned. I know I am not just a number...reviewed the images from my HSG, multitude of ultrasound images, went over my history in detail.. then asked to evaluate things for himself because something wasn't adding up
I can not say how amazing the entire staff is at preg. From the second you walk in the door the greet you and know you by name. The nurses are absolutely amazing! They are knowledgeable and compassionate...Everyone I have had contact with in the office has been amazing - the phlebotomist, nurses, office staff, insurance coordinator, doctors, and everyone else that I forgot. They 100% care about you as a patient!
Dr. McCoy has always been up front and honest with us. When I began seeing him for treatment, I had been to a primary OB that wanted to skip looking into the "blockage" that she claimed to have found without any tests besides an HSG. I was distraught and scared. Dr. McCoy reviewed the images from my HSG, multitude of ultrasound images, went over my history in detail.. then asked to evaluate things for himself because something wasn't adding up. After his exam, he discovered I did not have a blocked tube, but I have what is called a unicornate uterus. Nothing that needed to be surgically corrected as it was something I was born with. He answered all of my questions right then and there about my diagnosis.
Don't waste time with primary ob's. I wasted over a year of time and got no where at all besides broken hearted month after miserable month. If you are worried about the cost, also don't, the office has many options to help you even if your insurance doesn't have benefits for fertility. It is reasonable with or without insurance.
Dr. McCoy is always available to answer questions and concerns. He explains everything in detail and he leaves no page unturned. I know I am not just a number to PREG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Hillary and Winnie)
I can not say how amazing the entire staff is at preg. From the second you walk in the door the greet you and know you by name. The nurses are absolutely amazing! They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Hillary is the nurse I have seen most at the office for scans. She will tell me what she is seeing on the ultrasounds, explains the medications and how they work, as well as explained the self administered injection. Winnie I met my first time at preg for my consult. She talked to me while we waited on the doctor and made sure I knew what would happen at that appointment. She was informative and explained the medications that he prescribed and how/when to take them.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
If you have been waiting on seeking out a specialist for your fertility needs, stop! Make the call to PREG! I promise you will not be disappointed. Everyone I have had contact with in the office has been amazing - the phlebotomist, nurses, office staff, insurance coordinator, doctors, and everyone else that I forgot. They 100% care about you as a patient!
My consulting was no charge. Each appointment there after has varied depending on my insurance coverage, never more than $75

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Payne was a excellent dr. He explained everything the first dr appointment. Then after testing finding out we were going to do ivf he told us everything to expect...Our first transfer we just transferred one embryo and ended up with a chemical pregnancy. The second time we transferred two embryos...In my protocol our only option was ivf because my husband had such low sperm count. First thing was getting all of our meds started for egg retrieval. I was on birth control for a bit. Then went in for a baseline ultra sound. Did my injections everyday. Went for egg retrieval, then a couple months later we did a frozen embryo transfer.
They will start your treatment with the cheapest option and explain all of the financial aspect to you...I would go in for every appointment and look forwarded to talking to her. [our PREG nurse] did a fantastic job explaining everything to me and my husband. She would always be smiling...I paid 12,500 for ivf. 5,000 for meds...
Dr Payne was a excellent dr. He explained everything the first dr appointment. Then after testing finding out we were going to do ivf he told us everything to expect. From the first visit until I graduated was everything I expected.
Listen to everything he says. Follow all of the instructions and don’t get discouraged.
I felt like as soon as I walked in the door everyone treated me like family
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie biggerstaff)
Stephanie was the absolute best nurse I think I have ever met. I would go in for every appointment and look forwarded to talking to her. She did a fantastic job explaining everything to me and my husband. She would always be smiling.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg has a place in my heart. With out them I would have never had my babies. They mean the world to us. This clinic and the people there feel like family to us. If anyone is having fertility issues go here. They will start your treatment with the cheapest option and explain all of the financial aspect to you.
I paid 12,500 for ivf. 5,000 for meds.
I agree with eSET. Our first transfer we just transferred one embryo and ended up with a chemical pregnancy. The second time we transferred two embryos and have two beautiful baby girls now.
Spartanburg

2019 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tarnawa has been great each time that I have met him. He took over Dr. Singleton's practice and took the time to introduce himself. He always explains himself very clearly and makes sure that you leave your consultation/office visit understanding what treatment/procedures lie ahead...he was very polite and caring. He took the time to explain procedures, freely gave recommendations and answered questions.
PREG lowcountry is wonderful. You will feel welcomed as soon as you walk through those doors! The environment is hopeful, peaceful, and calming. The ladies from the front desk to the back are friendly and try to help make you feel at ease during a stressful time...The nursing staff at PREG lowcountry have been wonderful. They are great with communicating and keeping in touch during treatment.
Do it...become a patient! Be at ease and take that first move...you won't regret it!
I have met with him three times. One virtually and two in person. All three times, he was very polite and caring. He took the time to explain procedures, freely gave recommendations and answered questions.
The iui that I had he prescribed clomid. This was my first time using Clomid and he made sure that monitoring was involved and then prior to the iui the trigger shot was given with the iui in 36 hours. Unfortunately, the procedure resulted in a negative pregnancy test. It is by no means a result of what Dr. Tarnawa did or didn't do. My God is the creator of life and Dr. Tarnawa is a tool used to help obtain this precious life. I'm a little older being 40, so we have decided that the 6th iui would be the last and we would be moving on the IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Courtney and Katie)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The procedure for the iui cost roughly 2500 with medications included. We are currently looking at doing IVF and the estimates in prices were from 9700 to 12 700 without meds.
Greenville

I have only seen Dr Nichols twice so far. However, he has been polite and straightforward and helpful. On my initial visit, he answered my questions, and suggested alternative ideas as we were still trying to decide what route of treatment to take, but he respected my opinion. I had to drive quite far to get to the clinic, and [he] got me in for an ultrasound that same day so that I did not have to make another trip.
The [PREG] IVF coordinator is fantastic. I have spoken to her over the phone countless times and she is always polite, respectful and helpful. She scheduled all my appointments, answered questions about my schedule, helped with ordering medications etc...All of the staff has been friendly and helpful. My appointments have always been on time. The facility is clean. I have felt very comfortable there. I am also thankful that they have stayed open during the COVID-19 crisis. They have taken great precautions to keep everyone safe and this shows that they truly care about their patients, since so many clinics have opted to stop treatments.
I have only seen Dr Nichols twice so far. However, he has been polite and straightforward and helpful. On my initial visit, he answered my questions, and suggested alternative ideas as we were still trying to decide what route of treatment to take, but he respected my opinion. I had to drive quite far to get to the clinic, and Dr Nichols got me in for an ultrasound that same day so that I did not have to make another trip.
Have an idea of your plan going in. He will give suggestions and advice, but does not want to make a decision for you.
Dr Nichols is friendly. At my most recent appointment, I hadn’t seen him in about 8 months. But he had obviously reviewed my chart prior to entering the room because right away he gave me important information about my embryos (from embryo adoption) and proceeded to talk through the options and listen to my opinions.
I am currently on a drug treatment plan so I do not know the effectiveness yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
The IVF coordinator is fantastic. I have spoken to her over the phone countless times and she is always polite, respectful and helpful. She scheduled all my appointments, answered questions about my schedule, helped with ordering medications etc.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG has been great every step of the way. All of the staff has been friendly and helpful. My appointments have always been on time. The facility is clean. I have felt very comfortable there. I am also thankful that they have stayed open during the COVID-19 crisis. They have taken great precautions to keep everyone safe and this shows that they truly care about their patients, since so many clinics have opted to stop treatments.
We adopted embryos and they are frozen in 2 sets of 3. Dr Nichols asked at my first cycle appointment what my thoughts were. We agreed that it will be a game-day decision to transfer 1 or 2, depending on the viability after thawing. I was going to bring this up at the appointment, but he did first and I am very thankful that we are on the same page and that he was receptive to mine and my husbands wishes.
Greenville

Dr. Payne is clearly very knowledgeable and takes as much time as needed to answer questions to ensure you have an u understanding or next steps in the treatment plan. He shows a great deal of empathy to his patients and helps calm nerves and fears with his demeanor.... For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo.
The doctors [at PREG] are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.... The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different.
Ask all your questions becasue he will answer and not make you feel rushed.
Dr. Payne himself has a wonderful bedside manner and is calm and always reassuring during what has been a stressful and highly emotional period of time. However, the IVF coordinator and front desk associates do not display the same attitude towards patients in my opinion. I was just "work" to them and did not feel they shared the same empathy that Dr. Payne displays.
For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo. PGS tested revealed it was an abnormal embryo so no transfer was completed. At the follow up, he prescribed 2 months of diminished ovarian reserve supplements a d said IVF cycle 2 would not include ovarian suppression and a lupron shot would be added to my protocol. Currently waiting to start IVF cycle 2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different. The IVF coordinator seemed rushed and lacked compassion in my opinion. Questions seemed to be an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The doctors are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.
I had some insurance coverage but still had to pay out of pocket approximately $15,000 for my first round of IVF which failed. I was not given any type or refund si ce I had insurance and will pay the same for our upcoming round of IVF.
Generally, the practice is single embryo transfer. The policy makes sense to me and I have had no reason to question it.
Greenville

My husband and I came to Dr. McCoy originally for genetic reasons...did a recessive gene screening and found that my husband and I both carry a disease that our child could die from. Dr.McCoy right away called me and explained the results and explained what could be done to prevent passing this on to our children...amped up my protocol to get as many eggs as possible to increase our chances of getting a “normal” embryo...managed my care so well and followed my lab work so closely. I got 45 eggs retrieved! I appreciate Dr. McCoys honesty
I don’t even have words to describe how amazing and what a God send my nurse [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] has been through all of this...She responds to emails so quickly. She is almost always available over the phone...The clinic was always welcome at every office location. They were prompt with calling me back. They worked with me during the payment process because my insurance didn’t cover anything
My husband and I came to Dr. McCoy originally for genetic reasons. After meeting with him and my husband having a semen analysis we found out we could have potential issues due to my husbands sperm count. Dr. McCoy explained how we would over come those issues and eased my anxieties right away. We then did a recessive gene screening and found that my husband and I both carry a disease that our child could die from. Dr.McCoy right away called me and explained the results and explained what could be done to prevent passing this on to our children. Due to having to screen for two genetic issues now Dr.McCoy did what was necessary and amped up my protocol to get as many eggs as possible to increase our chances of getting a “normal” embryo. Him and my awesome nurse managed my care so well and followed my lab work so closely. I got 45 eggs retrieved! I appreciate Dr. McCoys honesty about that fact that we may not get any embryos that work. His honesty meant a lot and helped me prepare for that scenario. Fortunately of the 13 embryos we got 4 are considered not at risk and are usable. Dr. McCoy knew my anxieties about waiting for test results so he called us personally at 7:30pm after hours to give us the results. That meant so much to us! Unfortunately my first transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy, but we are taking a break and hopeful for the next. Dr. McCoy immediately reached out to us to review the process and next possible options to explore why the pregnancy was lost. This gave me a lot of comfort and shows he truly cares about each individual case!
To trust the process and Dr. McCoy he knows what he is doing and is very thorough. He is very vigilant of every one of his patients and there individual case. He is very honest about outcomes and what to expect, but in a gentle manner.
Dr. McCoy was very honest with us from day one about what to expect and his plans for us. He always addressed us professionally and was willing to answer any questions we had. He always called me personally if there was any hiccups along the way.
For my retrieval I took gonal f 250 units at night for 12 nights, 20 units Hcg, keflex, aspirin, and provera tablets. I can’t remember exactly how my doses changed throughout the 12 day stim process because they changed a lot. Dr. McCoy changed them a lot because my estrogen was high and he wanted to keep my out of OOHS but wanted to get as many eggs as possible. It was an intricate balance. I didn’t do the hcg trigger just the Lupron to keep me out of OOHS. I had 45 eggs retrieved, 20 fertilized, and 13 made it to day 5 to be biopsied and frozen. Of the 13, four can be used for transfer. For my first transfer I did estrogen pills up to 7mg daily and then the week of my transfer I did .75mg PIO shots daily. I also did steroid pills with keflex and aspirin. My transfer was seamless and so easy. I was pregnant then started cramping and ended up having a chemical pregnancy. We are now exploring the next steps and taking a mental and emotional break. This process is so stressful but having a great doctor and nurses helps a lot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver )
I don’t even have words to describe how amazing and what a God send my nurse has been through all of this. She truly is the most amazing person! She is so calming and easy to talk to. She responds to emails so quickly. She is almost always available over the phone. She is a great encourager! She goes above and beyond everyday and I am sure for every patient too! I joked with her and told her I wish she could just follow me to every doctor and be my nurse. She even was available during the weekend I started cramping so bad and was loosing my pregnancy. That meant the world to me. She also reached out and prayed for us through every hurdle!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was always welcome at every office location. They were prompt with calling me back. They worked with me during the payment process because my insurance didn’t cover anything. They prompt and careful precautions with all the patients during the CoViD 19 pandemic. The office was always neat and clean. And literally all employees were so nice and kind.
The cycle cost was around 20,000, the medications 4,000, and the genetic testing 11,000. My insurance did not cover anything so we had to pay out of pocket using practically all our savings. I need to have a uterine biopsy now but do not have the money readily because it will be our of pocket too.
Due to my age and my presumed level of fertility one embryo was selected. Also I am 5,1” so carrying two babies might pose a greater risk for my health and delivering too early.

2020, Consult
Dr. McCoy is very personable. He speak to you with care and concern. My first visit he provided me with a plan and steps. I did not feel like a number and he really cares...The only negative I have its hard to get an appointment because he's very busy. I will never forget when he had to provide me with not so good news he was so apologetic but willing to do whatever he can to assist me.
The [PREG] clinic overall is very welcoming, friendly, proficient, and courteous. Fertility issues can be very hard but having a very supportive clinic as this makes the process a little easier. I really do not have anything negative to say about the clinic as a whole for me every visit was perfect...She [primary nurse] makes me feel very welcomed and talks to me with respect...
Dr. McCoy is an exceptional doctor. He is always very attentive, analytical, calm, cooperative, creative, energetic, ethical, friendly, gracious, humorous, investigative, knowledgeable, mature, nurturing, observant, compassionate, reassuring,skillful, trustworthy, and vigilant. The only negative I have its hard to get an appointment because he's very busy. I will never forget when he had to provide me with not so good news he was so apologetic but willing to do whatever he can to assist me.
When you visit Dr. McCoy know that your best interest comes first. Bring questions as they are welcomed. You will not be rush as he will spend as much time as needed.
I am a new patient and my first visit he gave me lab work . My second visit we went over the next steps. At this time I have a procedure scheduled so do not have results at this time. I am very pleased with the pace he is moving as he is really trying to help me get results.
Dr. McCoy has one primary nurse and she is so sweet. She makes me feel very welcomed and talks to me with respect.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is very welcoming, friendly, proficient, and courteous. Fertility issues can be very hard but having a very supportive clinic as this makes the process a little easier. I really do not have anything negative to say about the clinic as a whole for me every visit was perfect.
So far my insurance covered most of the cost. I have had to pay a fee each visit had to pay $60 deductible for a specialist fee. The cost for my pre op was $150. I will have more to pay as we approach the next steps.
Asheville

[Dr. Travis McCoy] gave me his email and told me to email him at anytime...did a nice job explaining things and adjusting the plan in attempt to get our desired results. there was a few times I was uncertain of what would happen next or what to do next but I felt that fell under his nurses responsibilities instead of his...My husband was put on clomid for low sperm count and mobility currently awaiting the results for that. I was put on a Lupron Depo shot for 3 months to help with endometriosis. I was not retested for endometriosis but pains did go away.prior to finding out I had endometriosis he scheduled a biopsy which led to the results of finding out I had endometriosis.
The staff there [at PREG] are always very friendly. Everyone greets you and you're in the building with a nice smile. Once you've been there a couple of times they call you by name which makes you feel that there is a closer relationship there and makes you feel more welcome. They try to work you in with blood work as much as possible and give you answers promptly when possible. the biggest concern that I have was not knowing what was coming next or what to do next and timelines.
Doctor McCoy did a nice job explaining things and adjusting the plan in attempt to get our desired results. there was a few times I was uncertain of what would happen next or what to do next but I felt that fell under his nurses responsibilities instead of his.
Ask questions
He explained things. He gave me his email and told me to email him at anytime and he reaponded.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Burnes)
Catherine is very good about replying to emails although there were times I felt like I didn't know what to expect next or what to do. Therewas a time where an appointment with supposed to be scheduled but we were unaware of that which put us into a longer wait time. She is very nice. there are times I feel like we aren't giving information as far as what are labs are (numbers, lining thickness etc) but I'm not sure if that falls under her category or someone else's responsibility.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff there are always very friendly. Everyone greets you and you're in the building with a nice smile. Once you've been there a couple of times they call you by name which makes you feel that there is a closer relationship there and makes you feel more welcome. They try to work you in with blood work as much as possible and give you answers promptly when possible. the biggest concern that I have was not knowing what was coming next or what to do next and timelines.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Most appointments were easy to schedule and done right after labs. Everything went smooth although results were not usually told at the time.
I don't remember.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
There was two different times that information was provided that was inaccurate. One time was telling me that it was unusual to not have any pregnancies with two transfers and that information was very upsetting but wants talkin to dr. McQueen he assured me that that was not rare and that has happened before. another time was when my husband had a seman analysis, we were initially told the wrong results. There has been at least once we're prescriptions were forgot to be faxed or called in

2016 - 2020, Unsuccessful
John Payne gave me a realistic assessment of my chances, and the space I need to weigh things out for myself, and although I have not yet attained the outcome I have hoped for, I have never felt anything but well cared for in his company...We tracked fertility cycles, Timed IUI treatments, and generally hoped for the best. Eventually we added Clomid to that routine..
The doctors [at PREG] are great, but the nurses are better still. They are funny, and communicative, and are wonderful about asking consent before touching or starting procedures...I honestly didn’t encounter any notable weakness is here… And the nursing staff and Dr. Payne are knowledgeable compassionate people. I suppose one of the thing of note is that the clinic is directly across from a lovely little field of wildflowers. I suspect that’s intentional. They were a wonderful comfort to me before and after all of my spring and summer treatments, and well into the fall.
I came in likely already too old to successfully carry a pregnancy. John Payne gave me a realistic assessment of my chances, and the space I need to weigh things out for myself, and although I have not yet attained the outcome I have hoped for, I have never felt anything but well cared for in his company. It should probably be noted that I am significantly overweight: his compassion and lack of judgment I’ve been very striking, and I very much appreciate both.
It’s useful for him to know how you like being communicated with. When we first began he was quite, quite gentle until I specifically asked him to be as blunt as possible. Once I had, our conversation shifted pretty readily into something far more useful to me. I was impressed he was able to switch tactics so thoroughly, to meet me where I was Most comfortable.
He picked it up on my educational level, and treated me as Something of a peer. He was very observant of my demeanor, facial expressions, and remember details of past visits. When I told him I prefer my news given bluntly, he was willing and able to meet me there.
We tracked fertility cycles, Timed IUI treatments, and generally hoped for the best. Eventually we added Clomid to that routine. It didn’t work, which, while heartbreaking, makes complete sense because it was statistically unlikely in the first place. I was given other options, but was generally unable to afford them. Dr. Payne and his staff were incredibly compassionate and understanding about the role finances Had to play in my decision making, and we’re far better than I would’ve hoped in keeping me on track.
The doctors here are great, but the nurses are better still. They are funny, and communicative, and are wonderful about asking consent before touching or starting procedures.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly have no idea: purchasing sperm and the clinics various treatments generally cost about $3000 a cycle Out of pocket, but I believe most of the cost was billed to insurance.

2018 - 2020, Successful
John Nichols is straight forward in what's going on during your process. If you're looking for a doctor with more bedside manner, then there are other doctors for that...I personally like the straight forwardness as I want to know exactly where I stand regarding my fertility outcome. He is positive and makes you feel comfortable from day 1. He is thorough on what the best outcome for your situation is.
I can't say enough about PREG from the ladies at the front desk to the medical staff everyone was always friendly. They were encouraging and always made me feel welcome even when my emotions got the best of me...We did a single embryo transfer and I was happy with the outcome...They were all organized and positive and I really enjoyed seeing them every time I went.
John Nichols is straight forward in what's going on during your process. If you're looking for a doctor with more bedside manner, then there are other doctors for that at PREG. I personally like the straight forwardness as I want to know exactly where I stand regarding my fertility outcome. He is positive and makes you feel comfortable from day 1. He is thorough on what the best outcome for your situation is.
Listen and do what he tells you to do. If he says IVF is best for you and you try other methods, they more than likely won't work, and you'll have to do IVF eventually anyway.
I cannot say enough about Dr. John Nichols and his staff at PREG. I created friendships that I still have to this day with one of his nurses. He was always up front and honest with me, even if it was something I didn't want to hear. The lady that does the lab work is the most compassionate person and literally holds your hand through the process.
I have PCOS so from the start he put me on Metformin (500 MG twice a day, extended release). I also have a thin uterus lining so baby aspirin is essential. In preparation for egg retrieval, I took Femara and Gonal F trigger shots. He retrieved alot of eggs (because of my PCOS) so I suggest sending the embryos for Genetic testing.
I saw probably every nurse at PREG and they all showed the same amount of compassion. I even became friends with one of them that had also gone through IVF at PREG so we had a common ground. They were all organized and positive and I really enjoyed seeing them every time I went.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IVF was approximately $20,000 not including medications. Genetic testing was approximately $3,000.
We did a single embryo transfer and I was happy with the outcome.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols was blunt and straight forward during the initial consultation and while reviewing our initial work up. At the time it was jarring and concerning. The doctor did not show very much compassion...was the warmest and most personable during the egg retrieval procedure, this did help ease my nerves and made the procedure less stressful. This being said, he is good at what he does and we had success...
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was very clean and the lobby was long enough that you had privacy. The finance department was friendly and helpful...Generally, the nursing staff was friendly enough. I expected to be treated very empathetically and kindly, this was not the case. Most of the time it felt like I was at any generic doctor’s office and the staff didn’t seem happy. The lab technician was very friendly, she was my favorite person to see actually...
Dr. Nichols was blunt and straight forward during the initial consultation and while reviewing our initial work up. At the time it was jarring and concerning. The doctor did not show very much compassion. It felt like a business transaction most of the time. Dr. Nichols was the warmest and most personable during the egg retrieval procedure, this did help ease my nerves and made the procedure less stressful. This being said, he is good at what he does and we had success.
Be prepared for Dr. Nichols being very blunt and to the point during initial consult and when reviewing test results. This will help you to manage your emotions and not be caught off guard.
I did at times feel like a number. It seemed that the doctor didn’t always know where I was in the process of my fertility cycle. For example, when I had an ultrasound with him, he would guess how many days post transfer instead of checking the record and knowing it for himself.
I underwent an egg retrieval, I do not remember a lot of specifics about the medications. They did recommend a specific pharmacy that ships most of the fertility drugs to your door. Be sure to speak directly with the pharmacy after receiving the shipment. They will go over each medication, how to give it and how to store all the items. The nursing staff that set up protocols can be easily reached by email, ask questions related to protocol and medications. The long term progesterone injections were the hardest to tolerate. The injection sites were painful and sore. I had to use them for weeks after the positive pregnancy blood test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynne Fowler)
Lynne took over as our coordinator from another nurse halfway through our treatment. So there was a little glitch in communication for a short time. Lynne was able to adjust the timing of a protocol when I requested it. She was not very friendly but not unfriendly, I think she was very busy. Generally, the nursing staff was friendly enough. I expected to be treated very empathetically and kindly, this was not the case. Most of the time it felt like I was at any generic doctor’s office and the staff didn’t seem happy. The lab technician was very friendly, she was my favorite person to see actually. The nursing staff that did the anesthesia and assisted with the egg retrieval were all very warm, kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was very clean and the lobby was long enough that you had privacy. The finance department was friendly and helpful. I did not like the front staff, specifically the person who sat at the check-in window. She was not friendly at all (in person nor on the phone). Again, I assumed I would be treated tenderly and that was not the case. The first appointment with the doctor is going over your history and the doctor asking you a bunch of questions before recommending the first round of testing. Testing for reasons for infertility in our case.
This clinic offered an “all included” IVF package or pay as you go. It did not include pregnancy testing, medication and did not cover new testing (we did a Mock cycle to make sure my body was reacting as intended). We chose the 3 cycle IVF (cycles must be done within 12 months) which cost $26,000, we only did one egg retrieval. I think the one egg retrieval package was around $16,500. You do have to meet certain qualifications to use these packages.
Dr. Nichols strongly recommended transferring only one embryo at a time. The paperwork related to a transfer also noted the strong recommendation for single embryo transfers.
Greenville
Dr. Nichols is smart and showed an understanding of my body and the potential risks and rewards of following through with treatment. He presents options and is available to answer questions as needed. Dr. Nichols is not necessarily warm and fuzzy but he is welcoming and presents himself as a professional. ... I underwent diagnostic testing for fertility and an HSG. These things were done so that Dr. Nichols could determine what procedure would be best for my issues.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is well lit and organized. It is clean and welcoming. I have not had an unpleasant experience yet. The staff is quick to schedule or complete consultations over the phone. Also, the finance department is very helpful and they go through the costs for your recommended procedures thoroughly while offering means of support. I cannot identify any weaknesses.
Be open and honest so that you can get the most accurate treatment and advice.
Dr. Nichols and the staff of Preg have been friendly and thorough. They are always available to answer my questions. Dr. Nichols explained my test results and next steps clearly.
It is from the nursing staff that you will get the warm and fuzzies. Everyone that I have met so far has been encouraging and very supportive. They have answered all my additional questions with patience and knowledge.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is well lit and organized. It is clean and welcoming. I have not had an unpleasant experience yet. The staff is quick to schedule or complete consultations over the phone. Also, the finance department is very helpful and they go through the costs for your recommended procedures thoroughly while offering means of support. I cannot identify any weaknesses.
So far the only costs I have incurred have been for the diagnostic and testing fees. I have spoken with one of the clinic’s financial counselors and she provided me with an itemized cost list based on my individual insurance.
Greenville

Dr T [Tarnawa] is AMAZING. I suffered a previous miscarriage, and am a very “needy” and anxious patient. He takes time to explain everything in detail, and takes time to answer any questions and concerns you may have. He doesn’t sugar coat things and is very straight forward which I like, but has a very warm bedside manor.... At PREG, I only see Dr T as he is always in Columbia.
Love this clinic! Organized, professional, clean, efficient. At PREG you are ALWAYS treated like a person and NEVER like a number. Everyone from the sweet lab tech, Ms Jenny, (I hate having blood drawn and she comforts me) to the nursing staff to the doctors are nothing short of amazing. If you live in the midlands area, I would 10/10 recommend PREG. Trust me-I’ve been to other clinics and this far surpasses that!
Dr T is AMAZING. I suffered a previous miscarriage, and am a very “needy” and anxious patient. He takes time to explain everything in detail, and takes time to answer any questions and concerns you may have. He doesn’t sugar coat things and is very straight forward which I like, but has a very warm bedside manor. He is very very intelligent and I completely trust his opinion in my treatment. I am currently pregnant from my first round of IVF. He is monitoring me very closely, and I feel as though I have the best doctor in Columbia. I went to another clinic in lexington that also had a location in Charleston. You have to rotate doctors there, or travel to see the same one. At PREG, I only see Dr T as he is always in Columbia.
Trust him!!! He knows what he is talking about!
Dr T takes time to understand the needs of his patient. He came to me highly recommended by a good friend, as she felt the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vining)
Ashley is an angel. Seriously if I could give her the world I would! She takes so much time to personally make sure I am comfortable and communicated with. I have high anxiety and she has helped me tremendously with that through this IVF process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I opted to do IVF with genetic testing. I am not sure of the cost, but the genetic testing was worth the extra money to me due to my previous miscarriage.
Single embryo transfer.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Never did he [Dr. McCoy] pressure us into doing anything that we were against...he listened to my concerns and always knew me and my husband by name. He always had a bright smile on his face when we saw him... My first appointment with him I explained some of the symptoms I was having, to ensure it was not another medical issue he performed an ultrasound, this was confirmation it was not what we previously thought. This was a small step in the right direction, this also showed me that he listened to me and truly cared about me as an individual and not just another person.
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process...staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process...not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to...Emilie [nurse] is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive.
When I initially schedule a consultation with PREG I had some major anxieties about the whole process. I never thought I would experience infertility given that I previously had children with no medical issues or complications. Dr. McCoy and his staff welcomed me with open arms and were very comforting during the whole process. My first appointment with him I explained some of the symptoms I was having, to ensure it was not another medical issue he performed an ultrasound, this was confirmation it was not what we previously thought. This was a small step in the right direction, this also showed me that he listened to me and truly cared about me as an individual and not just another person. Dr. McCoy explained every procedure in detail and ensured that I understood what direction we were going in all of this, this gave me the confidence to trust in his abilities. Dr. McCoy never made me feel like the possibility of getting pregnant and carrying a child was out of the window. Even when we experienced three failed IUIs and two failed FETs, he reassured me that my journey wasn't over. This is just a storm on the way to my rainbow. I really felt like he cared about my pain, anxiety, frustration, and heartbreak. I also would like to mention his staff, not only are they friendly, but they are caring. In times of heartbreak they were a shoulder to cry on and an ear to vent to. I would highly recommend Dr. McCoy and his staff to anyone who asked.
Be open and honest with how you are feeling, what you expect and be open to change.
Please he listened to my concerns and always knew me and my husband by name. He always had a bright smile on his face when we saw him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie, was a very caring and understanding to say the least. Emilie is caring, understanding, nonjudgmental and has a strong ability to empathize with her patients no matter what life threw at us. She was non-judgmental, a very good emotional support and counselor to me as patient throughout this entire difficult time for me trying to conceive. Her communication skills were solid, her compassion was over the top and her empathy was indescribable. There was never a time that I had a question Emilie wouldn't hesitate to give me the answer or ask my doctor and get back with me.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG Columbia atmosphere is very inviting and comfortable. We were able to get appointments and/or procedures scheduled with no hassle. I was always able to be open and honest with the staff about my feelings on any occasion I had an appointment. The rooms were always ready and clean when I arrived. My only weaknesses would be Dr McCoy wasn't always at this location.
Dr McCoy agreed to allowing us to do multiples because of my age. Never did he pressure us into doing anything that we were against.