9.7

Spartanburg
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669

[Dr. Nichols was] Concise in his explanations and answering my questions. Was realistic and provided options where I had the best chance for a successful outcome...Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful...describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Strengths [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time...[nurses were] Supportive, empathetic, and readily available to assist and answer questions. Calm fears and offer encouragement when you at at a low.
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful. Concise and describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask any and all questions you have. Do not hold back.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Letrozole with follow up ovidrell injection combined with timed intercourse. Moving up to IVF next due to my diagnosis, but have not started treatment for this.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My MD crossed out a test that he did not want performed re: my lab work as I had already gotten this done at my primary care MD. The lab tech did the test (probably on auto-pilot as it was routine labs) and I was billed for it through the lab service.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Nichols was very straight forward and always positive with me. He was fast and efficient as going through these procedures are not fun but he always made you feel special and like your day was going to come to have the baby you always wanted.... 3 IUI's, recommended that we move on to IVF. 1st Fresh transfer of one embryo did not take so we transferred 2 embryos frozen and we had a baby with one.
They [PREG] get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.... $20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF... They [nurses] always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
He is very straight forward, no sugar coating.
All the nurses and the doctor were very genuine. I even brought my son in to see everyone at a few weeks old and they were all very excited!
They always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
$20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Asheville

Dr Payne explains everything and is very honest but also compassionate. He wants to work with you to try and reach the goal of creating a family. He answers any questions that you have about any of the tests or paths that you can take.... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions
They [PREG] are great nice friendly staff who call you back in a timely manner and greet you when you come in the door. They explain things to where you can understand and are willing to listen to you.and answer any questions you have....They call back to answer questions in a timely manner. They are very compassionate and answer any questions that I have... Dr Payne explains everything and is very honest but also compassionate. He wants to work with you to try and reach the goal of creating a family.
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He explained things and took my emotions into account.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I have tried using fertility medication and done an IUI which lead to a pregnancy however it was a miscarriage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are great nice friendly staff who call you back in a timely manner and greet you when you come in the door. They explain things to where you can understand and are willing to listen to you.and answer any questions you have.
Asheville
I did take different fertility drugs and I completed simple IVF and have not had any luck [with Dr. McCoy]...My eggs did not make it to transfer...He was very kind and compassionate... He could have possibly explained set backs and next steps more in depth. He did go over different next steps just not really in detail or truly encourage what to try next...I feel he is a knowledgeable doctor but insist on detail of the procedures and course of action he plans to use.
They [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] are very kind but it is hard to reach the nurses if you have questions and do not have an email address to contact them with. The clinic is very good about being on time with appointment times. The billing is also a bit confusing...I did take different fertility drugs and I completed simple IVF and have not had any luck...General fertility drug treatment and testing including discovery of uterine polyp 6,000. Simple IVF 9,000.
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was very kind and compassionate. He could have possibly explained set backs and next steps more in depth. He did go over different next steps just not really in detail or truly encourage what to try next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was very kind and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
They were very nice and compassionate as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very kind but it is hard to reach the nurses if you have questions and do not have an email address to contact them with. The clinic is very good about being on time with appointment times. The billing is also a bit confusing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My eggs did not make it to transfer but would love to try IVF with donor eggs.
2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr Payne really seemed to have an invested interest. At one appointment, he mentioned discussing our care as part of a conference call. It made me feel like he was actively planning our care, not just going through he motions.... We have unexplained infertility. He took us from the least invasive to most. Hoping small intervention would work.
Overall I enjoyed my visits [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.... ost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Fertility is hard, no matter what!
Dr Payne is very personal able.
They were all pleasant and enjoyable to see.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I enjoyed my visits. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Cost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Based on our case he recommended single transfer.
Asheville
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. McCoy has gone out of his way, to call after hours, to speak with myself or my Fiancé, in helping us understand the process of fertility preservation, and helping us make informed decisions while recently being diagnosed with breast cancer. He shows patience and empathy during our conversations with him...Provera, 450 IU gonal-f, QD pm, 30 mcg HCG QD pm, cetrotide (once instructed) QD am, trigger w/Ovidrel (once instructed) Keflex 500 mg am and pm We started on day 4 of my period, so started provera immediately...
The PREG staff and environment was friendly, empathetic, helpful, and attentive. I was hoping they were stronger in their beliefs of the value of nutrition and eastern approaches to improve egg and sperm quality...I never received my results and had to ask for them myself...Displeased with check in staff on day of retrieval when I was attacked for not having the long term storage and genetic testing paper work filled out. Otherwise, everyone has been helpful...
Do your homework so that you can be best informed and ask the right question. Fertility involves more than conventional ART.
Transparent and timely communication, as well as patience and empathy.
Provera, 450 IU gonal-f, QD pm, 30 mcg HCG QD pm, cetrotide (once instructed) QD am, trigger w/Ovidrel (once instructed) Keflex 500 mg am and pm We started on day 4 of my period, so started provera immediately. One follicle got too big by day of retrieval, and we we unable to retrieve egg from this follicle. I wish I was better educated on the cycle to understand the importance of aligning cycle with my menstrual cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynne Fowler )
Displeased with check in staff on day of retrieval when I was attacked for not having the long term storage and genetic testing paper work filled out. Otherwise, everyone has been helpful, especially IVF coordinator, M. Edwards, who helped me with the Livestrong foundational application and assistance.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Was able to receive assistance through the Livestrong Foundation.
N/a ; embryo did make it to blastocyst formation.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I prefer to have all my lab results and understand what they mean. I never received my results and had to ask for them myself.
2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Holman is knowledgeable and kind. Dr. Holman offers options, but does not push too hard for any of them. Dr. Holman let's you decide which option is best for your family. He gives information and options in a kind and caring manner. He never rushes your appointments. ... He explains options clearly, but not in a leading or demeaning way. ... I took Clomid, but it did not work. Dr. Holman changed me to Letrozol.
The office [Piedmon Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is clean and the office is modern. ... The office was easy to locate. There was parking right out front of the office.. ... Our insurance did not cover any of our treatments. I think we paid $80 per visit and more for IUI. ... Jennifer is so great. She explained everything carefully and took lots of time to do so. She was very compassionate when the treatments were unsuccessful.
How was your experience with James Holman at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Holman is great to work with. Dr. Holman is knowledgeable and kind. Dr. Holman offers options, but does not push too hard for any of them. Dr. Holman let's you decide which option is best for your family. He gives information and options in a kind and caring manner. He never rushes your appointments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Holman at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Holman is very experienced. You should trust his advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Holman at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Holman is warm and kind. He explains options clearly, but not in a leading or demeaning way.
Describe the protocols James Holman used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I took Clomid, but it did not work. Dr. Holman changed me to Letrozol. The Letrozol worked and we used a trigger shot with each cycle. None of those worked alone. We then added IUI for one round which was unsuccessfull. We finally added Follistim shots before IUI. That worked on the 3 round of IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office is clean and the office is modern. I think they moved since I was a patient. The office was easy to locate. There was parking right out front of the office. I do not have comments about the new location as I never visited it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Holman at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
James Holman

2020, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Travis McCoy] recommended timed intercourse with follow up blood work for my husband, as well as a new rx for my husband...He was very responsive to my husband and his needs (which was appropriate because we have MFI). He explained my risk of endo, which I have been told by 2 physicians I don't have, but it was nice to have a comprehensive look at everything...our treatment changed from IVF with ISCI to timed intercourse (which is a miracle).
She [nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was super and really helped us feel more comfortable...They took a long time to get us back, but it was a great experience in whole. I think that the clinic is great, and I would highly recommend this clinic to anyone who wants fresh eyes on their case. We went through 2 IUIs through my OBGYN unnecessarily, when my husband just needed to be on the right medication. I think that having an open mind is important when going to this clinic, as our treatment changed from IVF with ISCI to timed intercourse (which is a miracle).
Don't go in to his office needing to cry, go in, do your business, and cry in the car.
He recommended timed intercourse with follow up blood work for my husband, as well as a new rx for my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
She was super and really helped us feel more comfortable.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Just our copay (two total, one for myself and one for my husband)
Asheville
Dr McCoy was wonderful. He explained everything in the detail that I needed. I always felt like part of the conversation. He was very compassionate and encouraging. I always felt like there was hope...He always made sure I understood and feel good about the decisions...Do it. Don’t wait until you think you’re ready.
Lynn was the nurse IVF coordinator [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. She was fabulous. She was detailed and explained things where I could understand. She was available for questions anytime and made me feel like I could do this even in the times it felt like it was too much...There’s nothing I would change about this clinic...they instilled hope.
Do it. Don’t wait until you think you’re ready.
He always made sure I understood and feel good about the decisions.
I can’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynn)
Lynn was the nurse IVF coordinator. She was fabulous. She was detailed and explained things where I could understand. She was available for questions anytime and made me feel like I could do this even in the times it felt like it was too much.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Organization was great and Communication was excellent There’s nothing I would change about this clinic. I loved knowing what to expect at every appointment and I especially loved how they instilled hope.
This was the part that I hesitated the most about. Had I known how simple it was I would have done IVF so much sooner. I went for my consult and left with a financial discussion with the manager. She explained it so well and it was so simple to get a loan.
I only had one embryo that was normal genetics
2019, Consult
Dr McCoy is very compassionate very knowledgeable and extremely helpful..my experience with dr mccoy was wonderful. I left the appointment feeling much more at ease about the process and hopeful about the journey we were getting ready to undertake...very informative and took a lot of time explaining things to us in a way that we could understand and made sure we were comfortable with everything
Nursing staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group clinic] is super sweet and easing going...The clinic is a very nice place with wonderful staff and doctors.we have been very pleased with the atmosphere and care given there.the only drawback has been that the procedures have to be done at the sc office. That ogmffice is wonderful as well.
Ask as many questions as possible..he will answer them all in a very informative but compassionate way
Dr McCoy was very informative and took a lot of time explaining things to us in a way that we could understand and made sure we were comfortable with everything
Are meeting dr mccoy was a consultation after 3 rounds of treatment using medications. We are still undergoing treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mary elizabeth )
Nursing staff is super sweet and easing going...
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Our treatment cost so far have been for office visit procedures such as ultrasounds
2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
Very knowledgeable. He [Dr. John Nichols] told us facts so we never went into anything not knowing what to expect. He gave us multiple option and left it totally up to us. There was no pressure. He was always available for questions and would get back to us promptly...He took the time to go over all the information and treatment plans. He was straight forward but kind
[Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Front desk was always friendly. Easy to make appointments and seen quickly. We visited Asheville and Greenville offices and it was the same at both. The Greenville office has the surgical suite and all the staff talked through everything that was going on...They were also knowledgeable and very kind. They explained everything they did throughout the procedures
Very knowledgeable. He told us facts so we never went into anything not knowing what to expect. He gave us multiple option and left it totally up to us. There was no pressure. He was always available for questions and would get back to us promptly.
He is very knowledgeable and straightforward.
We had a tubal reversal. He explained the risks and percentages. Followed up with 3 rounds of iui with medication. Was the best plan for us
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think they were reasonable. We had insurance and most of what we had done was covered
Asheville

Dr McCoy takes time to explain things to me step by step...After consultation and some test done, we started with time intercourse treatment but never successful. later during ultrasound he found that i need to have a procedure to remove my uterine fibroids as it might be a problem if i happen to conceive. During the procedure he found i have endometriosis issues as well. He has a very tight schedule. I will still be able to see him even after end day. He explained to me details on my situation, options i have and never give up on me.
[Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Clinic always has a warm welcome to their patients. It is open as early as 730am to suit your schedule of the day but you have to make an appointment early as they are always full and Friday till noon...He explained to me details on my situation, options i have and never give up on me.
I am 39 and started seeing Dr McCoy in 2020 for our fertility consultant after ttc for more than 1 year. After consultation and some test done, we started with time intercourse treatment but never successful. later during ultrasound he found that i need to have a procedure to remove my uterine fibroids as it might be a problem if i happen to conceive. During the procedure he found i have endometriosis issues as well. He has a very tight schedule. I will still be able to see him even after end day. He explained to me details on my situation, options i have and never give up on me.
Trust your doctor
Dr McCoy takes time to explain things to me step by step
Asheville

Dr McCoy is a brilliant, caring, pleasant physician that truly makes couples feel at ease on their infertility journey. Great personality with big smiles! I would recommend him to all of my friends who are facing infertility issues. We Love him!...Unlike most doctors, Dr McCoy will take as much time as needed to help you understand your unique set of challenges... provides a detailed plan and answers all questions. He’s very personable with a kind and pleasant personality which puts the couple at ease with such an uncomfortable subject.
[Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group is an] Excellent clinic with state of the art technology to help assist with infertility. Quiet waiting room and super nice staff to,check you in...The nurses are very nice and compassionate during the entire process...Dr McCoy is a brilliant, caring, pleasant physician that truly makes couples feel at ease on their infertility journey. Great personality with big smiles! I would recommend him to all of my friends who are facing infertility issues. We Love him!...Unlike most doctors, Dr McCoy will take as much time as nee
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.... Unlike most doctors, Dr McCoy will take as much time as needed to help you understand your unique set of challenges.
Dr. McCoy takes the time to fully discuss your challenges, provides a detailed plan and answers all questions. He’s very personable with a kind and pleasant personality which puts the couple at ease with such an uncomfortable subject.
The nurses are very nice and compassionate during the entire process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Excellent clinic with state of the art technology to help assist with infertility. Quiet waiting room and super nice staff to,check you in. Covid 19 steps have been implemented so,re,ember your masks.
Asheville

He [Dr. Nichols] always made sure we understood each step of the process and explained in detail what we should expect throughout the experience. He kept our stress level down and our nerves at ease, which is a pertinent part throughout the journey.... Preg has always communicated well with reminders for appointments, do’s and dont’s with medications, and answering any questions we had throughout the process.
The whole team at Preg was great and make us feel so welcome and cared for....They were excellent and always made us feel welcome and help us understand the process.... Preg has always communicated well with reminders for appointments, do’s and dont’s with medications, and answering any questions we had throughout the process. My husband’s recommendation is to give away sweat bands for when the men’s come to give their samples!
He always made sure we understood each step of the process and explained in detail what we should expect throughout the experience. He kept our stress level down and our nerves at ease, which is a pertinent part throughout the journey.
The only way we were able to see the light at the end of the tunnel is we stayed optimistic and positive. There will be numerous hurdles that will arise and obstacles that seem unsurpassable. Staying optimistic and positive will help overcome those battles.
The whole team at Preg was great and make us feel so welcome and cared for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IUI cost, IVF cost, and medicine

2020, Unknown Success
He [Dr. John Nichols] was the first to explain my fertility problems and actually telling and showing me the reason he came to that conclusion...I wish he was a little more straight forward with information and on treatment plan(s), but he does answer all of our questions....
we purposefully made our consultation [at PREG] on my day 3 cycle day so we could also get labs done. However, after our consult, we were informed they could not complete the labs because the person who does them left early and we were instructed to wait until my next cycle to complete the labs in our home state...We also noticed the paperwork the person left unattended at the window was confidential paperwork that was being processed...Confidentiality and patient center mentality needs to be addressed.
Dr. Nichols is my third fertility doctor I have seen over a 10 year span. He was the first to explain my fertility problems and actually telling and showing me the reason he came to that conclusion. I don't know if I couldn't wrap my brain around the fact I was infertile with the two prior doctors and I had come to accept it or it truly was just never explained to me. I wish he was a little more straight forward with information and on treatment plan(s), but he does answer all of our questions.
Be prepared to be asked if someone else sent you said lab results or documents, etc. It's frustrating when you find out that they received results days before and thought someone else may have contacted you but didn't.
During our consultation, the facility prioritized a staff birthday over our appointment, making us 25 minutes late to be seen. We are traveling from out of state to be seen at this facility. In addition we purposefully made our consultation on my day 3 cycle day so we could also get labs done. However, after our consult, we were informed they could not complete the labs because the person who does them left early and we were instructed to wait until my next cycle to complete the labs in our home state. Also, during this visit the person who manages the front check-in area did not consistently attend the front desk, we had to repeatedly ring their bell for assistances with questions we had as we completed insurance and other forms. We also noticed the paperwork the person left unattended at the window was confidential paperwork that was being processed. I was frustrated when I left there. We are continuing to seek treatment through this facility but are on edge doing so. We decided to continue and hopes it was a bad day because equally we don't want to believe we were wrong and invested so much time and energy into deciding on our next steps to be wrong as soon as we walked into an office. I have been more assertive with the staff there when I call and if they even seem like they are going to say the words "next cycle" I tell them, "...no they are not pushing this out..." We have had numerous email and phone exchanges with our IVF nurse and financial advisor and after the first couple exchanges we have come to a common ground and I am pleased with the results. My husband and I are scheduled to go back to the facility next week for orientation and to be honest I am feeling a little uneasy and fear disappointment with their disposition.
We have orientation scheduled for next week. I started my period over the weekend, called Monday to report and started Birth Control the same day. I was informed I will be on birth control for two weeks, stop, and in a couple days later will begin my stim shots. It is estimated I will take shots 10-12 days before egg retrieval. Then hopefully we have embryos that made it to blast to transplant in 5 days. When I asked about the rationale for the birth control I was told it's like a holding place and give us two weeks to get everything in order like payment and meds ordered. I still wonder why we couldn't have started that last cycle, especially when I was informed you can stay on birth control for up to 40 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver)
It was a rough start. At first we heard over and over if so and so contacted us with the results of x. We would contact them and they would ask the same question. Now I feel my husband and I have established a good communication exchange with our nurse and it is going much better.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The physical clinic and equipment seems standard from what I have experienced with other clinics that offer these type of services. With that being said, my husband and I have only been there once. As far as services it is taking a bit to get things moving in the right directions. It seems like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing and it created some uneasiness with us. Confidentiality and patient center mentality needs to be addressed.
We qualified for some tier with a shared risk company. We are paying $25,000 for three IVFs (without genetic testing) within 12 months contract. If no live birth occurs after three IVFs or after 12 months, maybe 18 months if the doctor is generous (per the financial advisor) then we are expected a small refund. I believe it's $6000. We are requesting the contract have verbiage for COVID-19 risks. That is when we were told how generous the doctors are and to expect the contract to be 18 months... The financial advisor was going to speak with Dr. Nichols regarding our request but we have not heard back.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
We had our medical history recorders sent to Preg. The clinic said they sent them and Preg kept stating they didn't. Come to find out they had received them. That required several phone call and my husband making a physical visit to the clinic who was supposedly not sending the docs to make sure it would get done. My husband was given a semen analysis to have completed and the results sent to Preg and of course that required more phone calls and the same occurred for my blood work. The part that got me was when we did get the results and Preg reported on my husbands semen results but then on another call later they stated they still hadn't received it. We had to inform them they had because someone told us the results from Preg! As I reported in prior comments, we were delayed right off the bat, pushing out to the next cycle due to a staff member leaving early that day when we specifically selected that date to make our physical appointment in order to complete labs. Remember we are also from out of town and traveling to this clinic for treatment. We are also still unsure as to why we did not start birth control last cycle since they push us out already once and being birth control was a holding place which we can "hold" up to 40 days... Luckily I have short cycles (third cycle since the beginning of March), otherwise this could have been a 6-7 month ordeal, especially if we left it up to Preg to track down documents or results.
Asheville

[Dr. Karenne Fru] She makes her patients feel welcome and she was always willing to answer the many questions I asked with a kind smile and patience...As someone in a same-sex marriage, it is important to feel safe and as welcome as any other couple... I under-responded with my first round of letrozole and my dosage was increased. When I came back after having my dose increased, I’d already ovulated...
The nurses [of PREG]are great but they do seem to have different viewpoints on situations...[clinic weakness]Many times I called only to be transferred somewhere to ultimately leave a message and wait for a call back...To date, not including the cost of donor sperm, we’ve spent about $2000 and according to the clinic, I have “good insurance”...
How was your experience with Karenne Fru at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Fru is wonderful. I really hope to conceive a child and to be able to send the clinic a photo with a heartfelt thank you. Dr. Fru is kind, compassionate, and funny. She makes her patients feel welcome and she was always willing to answer the many questions I asked with a kind smile and patience. She is great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karenne Fru at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Don’t give up, and ask as many questions as you’d like. She will answer them willingly and will never make you feel inadequate for asking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karenne Fru at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Fru is wonderful. I feel like she knows me as a person and wants to see my spouse and I welcome a child into this world. Things haven’t worked out (yet) but Dr. Fru is confident that they will, and that gives me hope. She is also kind and open-minded. As someone in a same-sex marriage, it is important to feel safe and as welcome as any other couple. Dr. Fru does that, and she is appreciated for it.
Describe the protocols Karenne Fru used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My treatment plan includes letrozole and IUI. I under-responded with my first round of letrozole and my dosage was increased. When I came back after having my dose increased, I’d already ovulated. When I came in for my scan following my next round of letrozole, I’d already ovulated according to the scan, but an IUI was completed. It was unsuccessful. For my next round of the drug, I had yet to ovulate and I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Fru to discuss a different medication. We used clomid for that cycle, and I ovulated prior to my follicle scan on day 10. We are about to start another round of clomid, but I will be coming in for my scan on day 8. I am hopeful that we will get the timing right for this IUI and that I will become pregnant by the end of this month.
The nurses are great but they do seem to have different viewpoints on situations, ie when to inseminate versus when to wait. Some of them make me feel as though I ask too many questions, but some are really great. Everyone is very nice and helpful, but one nurse in particular,Ashleigh, who is not Dr. Fru’s nurse, seems to have the best bedside manner and most compassion.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The front desk staff often seems bothered by having to answer the phone and they don’t seem to know a lot. Many times I called only to be transferred somewhere to ultimately leave a message and wait for a call back. Additionally, I once witnessed what I felt like was a very inappropriate exchange where someone had called multiple times asking for a specific nurse and the persons answering the phones were very annoyed by it and said as much while I was standing there. I know everyone is human and that it probably was annoying to them, but it was unprofessional to speak ill of a patient in front of another patient. It didn’t sit well with me because I have probably been that caller at one point.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karenne Fru at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It’s been pretty expensive. To date, not including the cost of donor sperm, we’ve spent about $2000 and according to the clinic, I have “good insurance”.
Asheville

I felt human because Dr. Fru is very kind, her mannerisms are consistent and she was very candid and honest...She sets out an aggressive and fast moving treatment plan which I appreciate in my “advanced age.” She is knowledgeable and knows how to treat my very unique case of infertility...[eSET approach] We decided on one embryo versus multiple due to my age (44)
All of the nursing and assisting staff[of PREG] are very caring, friendly and compassionate and take the time with you to go over the protocol and next steps...My insurance is covering some of the cost of my treatment and medications although we’ve had to come out of pocket about $5k so far and still anticipating additional medication costs...
Dr. Fru is incredibly compassionate and is very open and honest. She sets out an aggressive and fast moving treatment plan which I appreciate in my “advanced age.” She is knowledgeable and knows how to treat my very unique case of infertility. I appreciate her and trust her opinions.
Get ready to laugh and feel comfortable. She will do her best to make you feel relaxed and helps you understand the options on treatments. She is warm and always helpful.
I felt human because Dr. Fru is very kind, her mannerisms are consistent and she was very candid and honest regarding what she felt was best for my case. We had very open and honest conversations and she was always kind and light hearted which helped an already stressful situation. She also performed my surgery to remove uterine fibroids which changed my life dramatically. I am so thankful to her for a solid treatment plan and hopes for a successful egg retrieval and implantation. It’s been mostly a waiting game, but she and her staff have been kind and supportive and answer all my questions and put my mind to ease.
I am at the beginning of my stimulation cycle and I have started off with 375 units of Gonal-F and 25 units of low dose HCG. I am on my fifth day of taking these treatment shots. Her staff informed me today to continue with the dosage schedule above and then on 4/16/20 Bumping up to 400 units Gonal-F and 30 units HCG that day until my next visit on 4/17/2020. So far my follicles only my right side look better than my left side.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Burnside)
All of the nursing and assisting staff are very caring, friendly and compassionate and take the time with you to go over the protocol and next steps. They all treat me with genuine care and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had a negative with a physician at this practice about three years ago but gave this clinic a second chance as it is the only one local to where I live. I am thankful I did because I’m grateful and blessed to have been matched up with Dr. Karenne Fru as she is amazing and extremely knowledgeable. She treats my husband and me with the utmost kindness and support. She’s professional and follows all safety and sanitation protocol. I am Optimistic she will get me the result we are seeking.
My insurance is covering some of the cost of my treatment and medications although we’ve had to come out of pocket about $5k so far and still anticipating additional medication costs. My husband and I are currently furloughed due to COVID-19, which I am very concerned this could possibly have an impact on the state of our treatment, which is unnerving considering not only we’ve waited almost 20 years to be able to somewhat afford this treatment, but to get this far and possibly fail is what’s the most unnerving to me, all in the name of finances. We are doing the best we can and beating the costs. This is obviously a very costly treatment
Describe Karenne Fru's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We decided on one embryo versus multiple due to my age (44)
Asheville
She [Dr.Karenne Fru] never rushed us like she had someone else to get in and take care of... she laid everything out for us and came up with a plan right away...During my time with her we did Clomid and times intercourse which were not successful. So we moved to an injection and Clomid which were also not successful because I am resistant to oral medication...right now we are still seeking treatment from her
She [nurse of PREG] talked and walked me through it all so I would not be nervous & it meant so much to me...I spent around $2,000 in the time...One day I had an emergency come up and needed to change my appointment around for an earlier time that day and they were able to fix it for me...[Dr. Fru] remembers things we talked about in previous appointments and never made us feel uncomfortable
When I came to PREG I had no idea what to expect. Dr Fru laid everything out for us and came up with a plan right away. I can not say enough about her and her optimistic personality. She has really been a ray of sunshine in some of our hardest times. She is definitely in the right profession. She not only connects with you as a patient but on a personal level too. She remembers things we talked about in previous appointments and never made us feel uncomfortable. While right now we are still seeking treatment from her and our plan hasn't worked out exactly the way we've planned she has given us hope that we will get through this and we will have a baby. I can not say enough about her and I would definitely recommend her to family members and friends going through the same situations.
When you go in not knowing what to expect and skeptical trust and know that she has your best interest at heart.
When My husband and I were in the office with her she really took time with us to explain things. She never rushed us like she had someone else to get in and take care of. She always came to the waiting room to get us and knew exactly who we were.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Heather, RN)
When I went to the office I was with Heather one of the nurses there for many of my ultrasounds and my HSG test and she was wonderful. She talked and walked me through it all so I would not be nervous & it meant so much to me.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They were always very accommodating and so friendly. One day I had an emergency come up and needed to change my appointment around for an earlier time that day and they were able to fix it for me. They always did whatever they could to make sure things worked in my favor and that I was taken care of.
I spent around $2,000 in the time I saw Dr. Fru.
Asheville

Dr Payne was nice enough. He wasn't rude by any means. I think the only thing I noticed is that even though I told him we didn't really want IVF, he insisted on explaining it anyway...it kind of felt a little "sales pitchy"... Dr Payne didn't see any issues with my fertility so he proceeded with IUI and offered medication. I did like that he allowed us to make our own choices on that and wasn't pushy at all. One time, my medicine didn't respond very well and he upped my medicine and I had a great response
I have nothing but good things to say about this clinic [PREG]. They are always so kind and nice. They are so flexible with the schedule and accomodating to my work schedule. Donna and Kim are always so friendly at the front desk and Missy the office manager has been helpful with insurance and payments. Sally in the lab, well she's just always fun and has a smile and so does the woman who does the lady who draws blood.
I think I've already covered this for the most part. I really haven't had much experience with Dr. Payne. I'm sure he is doing plenty behind the curtain :) Okay, it wants to keep going....It's been a while but I remember Dr Payne being nice and listening to what my partner and I wanted. He was calm which made me feel relaxed and the only thing i didn't like was the insistence on talking about IVF but like I said, I was probably nervous and only wanted to focus on IUI.
To trust his judgement. He has advised me on medicine and that has been helpful. I also someone assume he may have to do with hiring nurses and every member of his office is incredible. So he must have good judgement. The front desk staff (donna and kim) are so nice. All the nurses, Sally in the lab, the lady who draws blood, the office manager! Everyone is just great there! :)
Dr Payne was nice enough. He wasn't rude by any means. I think the only thing I noticed is that even though I told him we didn't really want IVF, he insisted on explaining it anyway...it kind of felt a little "sales pitchy" That being said, I really did only see him once and I was super nervous. Everyone in his office is so nice and I am quite sure he is nice too. He has managed my meds also and has made good decisions with that. Dr Nichols did one of my tests in Greenville and he was super nice also.
Dr Payne didn't see any issues with my fertility so he proceeded with IUI and offered medication. I did like that he allowed us to make our own choices on that and wasn't pushy at all. One time, my medicine didn't respond very well and he upped my medicine and I had a great response. When I had polyps he quickly had me scheduled for surgery to have them removed. Now that I write all this down, I feel a little bad for mentioning all the "sales pitchy" stuff. I think I was just nervous. Laying it all out there, It seems Dr. Payne has been very thorough with my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mary Elizabeth Wesley )
Mary Elizabeth was incredible. She has been with us for every IUI and always made us feel comfortable. No concern or question was too silly. We always laughed and made things as light as possible. I can't imagine doing any of this without Mary Elizabeth. Even when things don't turn out the way we hoped, she has a way of validating it all and helping us feel for hopeful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have nothing but good things to say about this clinic. They are always so kind and nice. They are so flexible with the schedule and accomodating to my work schedule. Donna and Kim are always so friendly at the front desk and Missy the office manager has been helpful with insurance and payments. Sally in the lab, well she's just always fun and has a smile and so does the woman who does the lady who draws blood. Everyone really is great. I honestly can't think of any weaknesses of this clinic other than the fact that they haven't discovered a way to make sure that every person gets pregnant on the very first try-that would be a cool trick. But considering how hard it is to do this whole thing for all these months, I"m glad it's at this clinic.
It was about $5000 to get us started and $2100 each time we try. but that includes 1000 for sperm. There was a 1600 surgery to remove polyps.
I do not.
Asheville

Dr. McCoy spoke with us about using IVF with sperm retrieval from day 1, due to my husband’s vasectomy...He got to know us on a personal level and always had the best advice for us as we moved through invitro...He is super compassionate about all his patients and always seems to have ample time for me. I never seemed rushed to get out and he took the very best care of me and my needs.
The clinic [PREG] does a beautiful job with communication. They are very organized in their scheduling and are always willing to get you in if it is needed or wanted on your end. Sometimes, the wait was lengthy...I did get a small fee reduction due to my profession as a teacher. I would say the fees altogether were somewhere around $15,000 for the sperm retrieval, IVF and medications.
Travis McCoy has a passion for what he does. He is super knowledgeable about all procedures and bumps you might face throughout the journey. He is super compassionate about all his patients and always seems to have ample time for me. I never seemed rushed to get out and he took the very best care of me and my needs.
He will answer any question you may have for him, truthfully and with compassion. Don’t be afraid to ask!
Travis McCoy knew my husband and I by name and wanted the best for us. He got to know us on a personal level and always had the best advice for us as we moved through invitro.
Dr. McCoy spoke with us about using IVF with sperm retrieval from day 1, due to my husband’s vasectomy. We had tried to reverse the vasectomy with no success. He allowed Kenny to choose when he would like the sperm retrieval done, with what worked best in his schedule and we would freeze the sperm until time for transfer. My egg retrieval was successful, with a decent number of eggs obtained. However, the number of embryos that made it to the stage they would like for transfer, was not as successful as we had hoped for. With Dr. McCoy’s suggestion we transferred the two embryos that were at the stage that would like to see, and got a successful pregnancy on one baby with that transfer. Unfortunately, our little girl was born with a genetic defect causing her lungs to not properly function. Emma Grace came 6 weeks premature and lived 22 days in the NICU at Mission Hospital in Asheville. She lost her fight after 22 days and was laid to rest on March 9, 2018. While discussing our next invitro round with Dr. McCoy, he would like to the sperm retrieval and egg retrieval simultaneously this time in hopes of producing more successful embryos.
The nursing staff at PREG is among the best! They all get to know you on a personal level and make you feel so comfortable there. Going through invitro puts you in the facility quite frequently and they all do a great job of making you feel like part of the family. Very compassionate and interested in how your feeling and getting through the procedure!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic does a beautiful job with communication. They are very organized in their scheduling and are always willing to get you in if it is needed or wanted on your end. Sometimes, the wait was lengthy, but I believe that was due to the personal connections they make with their patients. They never wanted you to leave until you were ready and comfortable with the next steps!
Dr. McCoy had actually mentioned all along that we would do an eSET if all went well. However, because we only had two embryos reach a good stage, I appreciated that he chose to transfer them both in for a better chance of success!

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Travis McCoy did a] hystroscopy and removed fetel tissue left behind from my last obgyn and miscarriage which caused scar tissue...was very kind and tried to communicate very well to me what he thought was going on during my time spent as his patient. My only quams were that I wish he had better communicated to me that I had a low ovarian reserve in the beginning. It was first mentioned to me in 2018 in January and apparently he had known for a while. I feel that we would have tried to do IVF sooner had we known that. I also wish that I could have seen him for everything. It was hard being bounced around between nurses and doctors during my IvF cycle.
She [nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was awesome as were the other nurses...My ivf round, including medicine was $17,000...The weakness would be that we had to travel to South Carolina to do the retrieval because they dont offer that in Asheville (which is in North Carolina). Their Fertility clinic has several locations. Strengths would be the staff that was so kind and understanding.
My doctor was very kind and tried to communicate very well to me what he thought was going on during my time spent as his patient. My only quams were that I wish he had better communicated to me that I had a low ovarian reserve in the beginning. It was first mentioned to me in 2018 in January and apparently he had known for a while. I feel that we would have tried to do IVF sooner had we known that. I also wish that I could have seen him for everything. It was hard being bounced around between nurses and doctors during my IvF cycle.
He is a kind and great doctor, but ask lots of questions! Dont let him leave the room until you 100% know what is going on!
They treated me kindly throughput the process.
We used letrozole (spelling?) for several rounds. I always produced eggs, just not as many as I could have been. Wgen I began my treatment I had already had two miscarriages on my own but those two pregnancies had been over a span of four years. He suspected I had an issue with my eggs. He also dida hystroscopy and removed fetel tissue left behind from my last obgyn and miscarriage which caused scar tissue. After my last letrozole attempt I took a break and actually concieved on my own but miscarried identical twin boys. After trying on my own for six months after that I went back to Dr. McCoy and did a few more cycles of letrozole before doing IVF. He had suggested IVF befpre, but my husband and I put it off until we could get the loan to do it.
She was awesome as were the other nurses. If i had questions they answered elaboratelly!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had an 85$ co pay for every visit Afte rinsurance, my hysteroscopy costed roughly $4,000. My insurance did pay for letrozole rounds so it only costed around $5.per round. My ivf round, including medicine was $17,000.
Asheville

Our first consultation he spent a few hours with us and we never felt rushed. He made us feel as if we were the most important priority he had. ... . When first coming to him we were not under the complete understanding of how severe my endometriosis was and how it played such a part in our infertility journey. Dr. McCoy gave us several different treatment options and through shared decision making he helped guide us to what was the most urgent matter.
At PREG, they offer a free second opinion to patients who have saw another provider and wanted additional information about treatment options available. We were able to use this great feature. They have a financial adviser who is able to sit down with you and go over each cost associated with visits and treatments. They are able to run your insurance and provide you with the amount of coverage you have. This was extremely helpful! And if you are eligible they have different refund programs available as well.
You essentially are able to tell a lot just by the way you have been treated from your first consultation at a clinic. We found that true when spending time with Dr. McCoy. He always makes us feel like your time matters to him. There are never any time constraints or feelings that you are an inconvenience to him. He is a provider who is welcoming to your questions and answers them in great detail. Dr. McCoy always gives us an undeniable feeling of hope and dedication. He truly looks out for the best interest of the patient. When first coming to him we were not under the complete understanding of how severe my endometriosis was and how it played such a part in our infertility journey. Dr. McCoy gave us several different treatment options and through shared decision making he helped guide us to what was the most urgent matter.
Dr. McCoy is very informative he provides you with all the relevant information, for you to select the medical intervention that is right for you. If you have questions ask him. He is a great patient educator.
In the current medical practice environment, physicians face mounting demands on their time. With Dr. Travis McCoy we have never felt pressured in time spent with him. Communication begins from the moment you first meet your doctor. The first consultation we had with Dr. McCoy he listened attentively as we described what brought us to seek his help with infertility. Then he performed a thorough exam, completed a detailed medical history, and based on the information he gathered came up with a detailed plan for our next steps. He not only verbally gave us this information but wrote each step down so we had this to take home for our decision making. Dr. McCoy gives you all your options and supports you in which ever path is right for you and your family. Our first consultation he spent a few hours with us and we never felt rushed. He made us feel as if we were the most important priority he had.
We are currently in the beginning stages. We have had our initial consultation and a follow-up. Our next step is surgery to remove endometriosis prior to IVF treatment.
The nursing staff is very welcoming. They have great communication skills. We were highly impressed that after our visit a staff nurse would call to let us know that they knew there was a lot of information covered and if there were any questions or concerns they were there to assist us .
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group go out of there way to work with each patient. We were able to reschedule due to schedule conflicts a few times and able to get in for appointments within an acceptable amount of time. Everyone is always very prompt, friendly, and phenomenal! Each person there makes you feel as if they are all invested in your journey. So thankful for the doctors, and clinical staff at Preg.
Asheville

I felt that the dr [Dr. Payne] was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.... With my severely diminished egg reserve, the best treatments were oral hormones, ultrasound and hormonal injections to encourage follicle development. We did one cycle "naturally" and then 6 cycles with IUI. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy and we are now looking at IVF.
Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic [PREG] was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
I felt that the dr was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.
Ask all the questions that you need. I think sometimes women don't feel like they can ask for what they need and it's so important to feel like you have a handle on all the different aspects of your fertility.
The doctor, nurses and the receptionists at the practice made a point to know me and be supportive during this whole experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikela)
All of the support staff are personable, welcoming, understanding and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
$35 for oral hormone $100 for Ovidrel shot $180 Ultrasound $475 IUI treatment I can't remember how much the bloodwork was for the lab $100 semen analysis
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I had a couple blood draws for my post ovulation progesterone level assessment that were never communicated to me. I had to call the clinic and request the results. In one instance, they never called me back with the information.
Asheville

He [Dr. John Nichols] is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.... I have a homogeneous folic acid mutation and thyroid issue. I am on folate, thyroid and baby aspirin every day now. My blood work is now normal after 6 weeks of taking the meds. I just finished 1 round of fermera and will take an injection tomorrow to help ovulation. I will then start with progesterone hoping for a positive.
[PREG- Ashevile is] Easy to find, clear communication and honest feedback. Make sure to call your insurance to find out how they handle infertility. From bloodwork to appointments, each one is diffrent. PREG lets you know what to call about beforehand and is very honest about cost structures.... I have a homogeneous folic acid mutation and thyroid issue. I am on folate, thyroid and baby aspirin every day now. My blood work is now normal after 6 weeks of taking the meds. I just finished 1 round of fermera and will take an injection tomorrow to help ovulation. I will then start with progesterone hoping for a positive.
He is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.
No advice in particular. If you are looking for someone to give you a huge and cry with you every appointment. This is not the guy for you. If you are looking for honest and straightforward answers, that's who he is! He knows you don't want to waste any more time, nor does he.
Before we came to PREG we had 2 miscarriages and felt as if we were getting nowhere. In addition, my OBGYN and staff treated me like a wounded animal. This was SO different when going to PREG and seeing Dr. Nicoles. He was confident in his responses and assured me that he was going to help us figure this out. He did look at me like I was broken. He was direct yet soft. Trust me, after 3 years of trying and multiple pregnancy losses, you just want someone on your team with honest and straightforward communication. I felt heard yet he did not tiptoe around the facts, which was a breath of fresh air! Most importantly you hear horror stories of fertility clinics taking advantage of your desire for children so they charge you at every corner.....PREG is 100% not that. They are aware of the cost and the impact of your family at EVERY appointment. Even blood work. Being "new" to the infertility world it has been awesome to know they will be honest and fair. No mistruths or surprises.
She truly is AWESOME. Answers my questions as in a timely manner no matter how silly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My copay is 100 per visit. Other than that my insurance covers everything else. My prescriptions are about 150/month
Asheville
Dr. Nichols provided multiple options for my husband and me during our consultation appointment. We decided to try timed intercourse plus medications (letrozole + trigger shot with HCG) for 2-3 cycles prior to progressing to the next step. ... but for this next cycle, the dose of letrozole was increased from 2.5mg to 5mg. ... He used a patient-centered approach with us and encouraged us to be active participants in the care plan. ...
My husband and I have been very pleased with PREG. All our encounters with staff and personnel have been positive. Physicians and nursing are informative and caring. Any questions we have had are addressed promptly and fully. ... Education that was provided after our first visit was extremely informative and helpful. All our calls have been returned promptly and questions answered fully.
Our consultation visit with Dr. Nichols was very informative. We appreciated his direct approach and discussion of the pros/cons of each treatment option. The information presented can be very overwhelming in a consultation visit, but we left with a clear understanding of what to expect next, as well as optimism.
I would advise a new patient to have an idea of what they want in terms of treatment options and not to take a passive approach to these decisions.
Dr.Nichols addressed my husband and I with respect and listened to our concerns and questions. He used a patient-centered approach with us and encouraged us to be active participants in the care plan.
So far, we have only had one cycle with Dr. Nichols. Based on previous work-up with a fertility specialist the month before (whom referred us to PREG after initial work-up was inconclusive), Dr. Nichols provided multiple options for my husband and me during our consultation appointment. We decided to try timed intercourse plus medications (letrozole + trigger shot with HCG) for 2-3 cycles prior to progressing to the next step. Unfortunately we did not get pregnant this first cycle but for this next cycle, the dose of letrozole was increased from 2.5mg to 5mg.
Nursing staff has been wonderful. Education that was provided after our first visit was extremely informative and helpful. All our calls have been returned promptly and questions answered fully. Wonderful experience!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My insurance required a $40 copay for all visits. Insurance provided some coverage for medications and covered all diagnostic procedures; however insurance will not cover IVF.