9.7

1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
I remember he called me personally while he was on vacation to discuss using HGH on our second round of IVF (with my own eggs)...He takes the time to show up for every single appointment I have, which I love. He always makes me feel like I am the only patient he has at the practice...Dr. Payne allowed us to do a fresh transfer with the two embryos we had from our second round of IVF...After our two failed rounds of IVF with my own eggs, he never pushed me to donor eggs, which made me feel so good
[the PREG nurse] always replies to all my emails the rapid time and always with the kindest words...a package IVF cycle, which included two retrievals, and one FET, and that cost us roughly $18,000. But we spent another $10,000 on meds...The only weakness I would give PREG is there billing department. They have made a few mistakes with insurance, since I don’t have any fertility coverage. But when mistakes are made they are always addressed quickly.
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne calls me his “special patient”, mainly due to the fact that I always seem to have bad luck. And I truly am special, but because of that we have a very close connection. He always asks me how my day is, and talks about sports with my husband, when he comes for ultrasounds. He takes the time to show up for every single appointment I have, which I love. He always makes me feel like I am the only patient he has at the practice. After our two failed rounds of IVF with my own eggs, he never pushed me to donor eggs, which made me feel so good. My husband and I came to the decision to use donor eggs on our own. And when we choose the donor, Dr. Payne was so supportive. I remember asking for an ERA before we did a DEFET and he suggested he not and the transfer failed. He immediately felt remorse and even offered a free ERA and DEFET, to make up for the mistake. It was so nice knowing he not only had our back medically, but financially as a well. And after our donor egg transfer failed to produce a live birth, he has graciously offered a discount for another round of donor egg. He has helped us so much and made us feel good moving forward. The other part I love about Dr. Payne is his compassion. When we lost our identical twins due to my appendicitis bursting, he just felt awful. You could tell he was just as upset as we were. I am so excited to continue working with him and have never even thought twice about switching to a new doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I would tell any patient seeing Dr. Payne that he is caring, but always push the extra testing. I would also say that he always has your best interest at heart and truly wants the best for you, and you are not just a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. John Payne is the most incredible human being and doctor I have ever met in my life! He truly cares about his patients and is always completely invested in there story. I remember he called me personally while he was on vacation to discuss using HGH on our second round of IVF (with my own eggs). And it was so nice to see how much he cares. But what makes Dr. Payne the best doctor is he just cares so much. I became pregnant after our second transfer with our donor egg cycle and had horrible abdominal pain, and I thought I was having an ectopic pregnancy and rushed to the clinic for a ultrasound. It was reviled I had identical twins and he suspected I had appendicitis. He was so calm and collected but walked my husband on what to do and to take me to the ER right away. He and his entire team were so concerned about me and he even had his nurse check in on me through a contact she had at the hospital. And when I lost the twins due to the infection of my appendicitis, he was heart broken for my husband and I. He had so much sympathy and compassion for our horrible loss and the way we were treat at Prisma Health. Dr. Payne also listens to everything I have to say and answers any question. I am very type-a and a researcher, and he knows that. He doesn’t dumb things down for me we always brainstorm new ideas and new methods for the next round. He knows I will get pregnant and is committed to helping grow our family. There need to be more Dr. Payne in this world and I appreciate everything he and his practice have done for me and will continue to do for me.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
For our first IVF cycle, he did a micro-dose lupron protocol, and after it yielded 2 abnormal embryos I wanted to change things up, and Dr. Payne was totally on board! I had ask to do a natural start cycle with HGH and he reviewed it with the entire practice and decided to move forward with that. We changed up the protocol and even though it didn’t yield a positive pregnancy, I felt like it was a better cycle outcome. Once the two IVF cycles failed we moved onto donor eggs. He did a fresh cycle donor egg and I had asked an ERA and he didn’t think we needed it and after that cycle failed, he was complete on board with it and even suggested the full bout of testing. And after the third DEFET failed, I had asked for an interlipid infusion treatment and he agreed with this strategy. And although it didn’t work it was nice to have the support of my doctor to always be changing protocols, when things don’t work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk)
Lindsay is not only my care coordinator but most the times my nurse for ultrasounds. She is truly an angel sent from God himself! She always replies to all my emails the rapid time and always with the kindest words. When we have ultrasounds, she and Dr. Payne are always welcoming with a smile and a bubbly personality. On the day I came in so much pain, to find out I was pregnant with identical twins and suspected appendicitis, they cared for me greatly! They allowed me to lay down on the bed and wheeled me out in a wheelchair. One of the nurses Kristina even reached out to her dad, who was a doctor at the hospital we went to make sure I was ok. The entire staff where so concerned for me health and the babies health. I even had Lindsay email me and checked in on me after my surgery, and emailed me personally when I lost the twins to say how sorry she was for our loss. The staff at PREG is truly amazing and they work so well with the doctors and patients, and make everything run so well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a clinic who truly cares about there patients. They always answers he phone and emails in rapid response and always have a great attitude. The doctors and nurses are very efficient and I never feel like I have to wait in the waiting room for long periods of time. It is always welcoming and inviting space. The only weakness I would give PREG is there billing department. They have made a few mistakes with insurance, since I don’t have any fertility coverage. But when mistakes are made they are always addressed quickly. There aren’t really any negative things I can say about my clinic, and I would suggest anyone going to PREG over the other clinic (Fertility Centers of Carolina). I love that PREG is independent from PRISMA Health, and I feel like I am a human and given unique attention, which is something PRIMSA always lacks in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IUI’s were about $1,000 including meds. The clinic charged roughly $800. I did a package IVF cycle, which included two retrievals, and one FET, and that cost us roughly $18,000. But we spent another $10,000 on meds, so it was close to $30,000 for the two rounds of IVF. When we did the donor egg package, we paid $20,000, and another $5,000 for meds, FET’s, infusions, D&C, etc. Our next round of donor eggs will be about $20,400. Between the surgeries, therapy, and fertility treatments I have done thus far, my husband and I will be close to spending $100,000 on treatment.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne allowed us to do a fresh transfer with the two embryos we had from our second round of IVF, but really wanted us to do a single embryo transfer with the donor egg cycles. This last FET, he did allow us to transfer the last two embryos from the donor egg, because the grades weren’t as good.

2018 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. John Payne] knew how long we had been trying to conceive on our own, my prior history with endometriosis, cervical cancer, and he was very delicate with all of the facts and options for us...created a plan for us to move into the IVF process. In the end our retrieval, genetic testing, and transfer were successful. However, at 13 weeks we found out our baby had a rare birth defect that occurs 1 in 5,000-7,000 and was not a result of genetics. When we reached out to the clinic, he handled our conversation with the utmost compassion. We felt his sadness for us. Dr. Payne asked how we were doing and discussed counseling options for us. He went above and beyond in all aspects.
Strengths would be great communication, compassionate, trustworthy. Weaknesses would be flexibility with appointments. At times, it was hard as their availability did not always work with my schedule only due to the doctors rotating offices [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]...[nurse] always available either by phone or email to answer my questions the same day. She understood our anxieties and was very compassionate when scenarios worried us. She would always offer to bring me in and to check on the situation.
We spent several years with Dr. Payne. In the beginning, he discussed my history of endometriosis and my options. He was very knowledgable with my diagnosis and the appropriate approaches to take. We decided to start off slow and try timed intercourse. Eventually, I had another laparoscopy surgery to remove scar tissue from my endometriosis with their Director of Surgery, Dr. McCoy. He and Dr. McCoy worked wonderfully together and the process was seamless. They told me to allow a year after my procedure to try naturally since we were not ready for IVF yet mentally or financially. Each visit he was very attentive to our questions and concerns and we felt like we were receiving honest facts based on our specific situation. As our year approached, he created a plan for us to move into the IVF process. In the end our retrieval, genetic testing, and transfer were successful. However, at 13 weeks we found out our baby had a rare birth defect that occurs 1 in 5,000-7,000 and was not a result of genetics. When we reached out to the clinic, he handled our conversation with the utmost compassion. We felt his sadness for us. Dr. Payne asked how we were doing and discussed counseling options for us. He went above and beyond in all aspects.
If a patient has been out of the clinic for a longer time period to review their complete medical history before the consult as it can be difficult for the patient discuss certain matters at times.
Dr. Payne took his time to explain to us our procedures and what would benefit us most. He listened to us and did not push treatment on us. He knew how long we had been trying to conceive on our own, my prior history with endometriosis, cervical cancer, and he was very delicate with all of the facts and options for us. We did not feel like dollar signs. We were able to try the treatments that we felt comfortable with and financially ready for.
For my retrieval we did 11 days of stims used Gonal- F and Low dose HCG. I also took Keflex 500mg and Aspirin 81 mg daily. Provera was taken day 6-11. I used a Lupron trigger shot and a dose of Novarel 2 nights before my retrieval. The morning before my retrieval, I did one more Lupron injection and resumed pills. The day of my retrieval, Dr. Payne was able to retrieve 10 eggs, 9 were mature enough to fertilize, 8 fertilized, and 6 grew to blastocyst. All of our blastocysts were genetically normal after doing PGT-A testing. We began preparing for our transfer two months later, which consisted of a 24 day protocol. My medications consisted of Estradiol, Femera 2.5 mg, and Aspirin 81 mg daily. I began taking Progesterone in oil 100cc on day 18, in the evening. On day 19, Medrol 16 mg was added in the pm as well. On the day of the transfer, I took Valium 5 mg and Feldene 10 mg 1 hour before my transfer. Our first and highest graded embryo did not make it through the thawing process the day of which only occurs around 5 percent of the time. We moved to our next highest graded embryo and the transfer was a success. We were pregnant with a sweet baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina)
She was always available either by phone or email to answer my questions the same day. She understood our anxieties and was very compassionate when scenarios worried us. She would always offer to bring me in and to check on the situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would be great communication, compassionate, trustworthy. Weaknesses would be flexibility with appointments. At times, it was hard as their availability did not always work with my schedule only due to the doctors rotating offices.
I believe I paid $7,684 for my retrieval, transfer, and biopsy of my embryos for genetic testing. This was what insurance did not cover.
Our doctor strongly suggested transferring one embryo due to the grade and quality of our embryos being high as well as my cervical incompetence.

2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] is friendly and comprehensive in her plan, explaining the tests she wanted to run, and answering questions I had. She also was great during followup for explaining the plan going forward. I did not see her for my HSG or IUI procedure but she was in touch following both visits via the portal/phone.
[PREG - Columbia] Strengths are definitely the nurses and the ease of getting someone on the phone or having questions answered in the portal...Weaknesses were the initial financial explanation for self pay patients...They were very welcoming and accepting of my want to use donor sperm to get pregnant as a single, queer person.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She is friendly and comprehensive in her plan, explaining the tests she wanted to run, and answering questions I had. She also was great during followup for explaining the plan going forward. I did not see her for my HSG or IUI procedure but she was in touch following both visits via the portal/phone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Come with questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
She spent time during my consultation to answer any questions. She is very charismatic and friendly. She has since been available to answer questions via phone and the portal.
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
After Day 3 testing and an HSG, I did medicated, monitored cycles. I took letrozole (pill) from days 3 to 7, then had an ultrasound and trigger (Ovidrel). Ghe plan is to repeat the same protocol for IUI #2 and #3 if needed before moving to IVF.
How competent was Lisa Cookingham at LGBTQ care?
She wasn't phased at all that I'm a single woman trying to get pregnant on my own. My sexuality was never questioned or given a raised eye. I felt that Dr Cookingham was accepting that I just wanted to get pregnant and never questioned my motives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Michaella)
Michaella is Dr Cookingham's nurse assigned to me. She answers the portal questions a lot and she was the one who did my monitoring ultrasound and did my trigger. She was also there during my insemination. Very happy with Michaella and her attentiveness and thoroughness in answers. She pays attention and is very responsive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses were the initial financial explanation for self pay patients, especially after my insurance coverage changed between the consultation and mt IUI. It took some emails to get them to rerun my insurance showing that I do have coverage. Strengths are definitely the nurses and the ease of getting someone on the phone or having questions answered in the portal. Someone has always answered the phone or called me back when they said they would and it's very reassuring when you have minute questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
HSG $600 Labs $330 (out of pocket through insurance) Day 3 Ultrasound $200 Monitoring ultrasound $180 IUI $500 Initial consultation $200 Phone followup $50 Ovidrel $100 Letrozole $3
How competent was Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group at LGBTQ care?
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I used donor sperm. I had no problems getting paperwork signed for different sperm banks and had no problems with sperm delivery or thaws.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
When I first met with Dr. Payne he made me feel heard. However, I thought he would be more involved in the ER process doing scans, reviewing labs, responding to message in the portal etc. Nearly all of that done was by nurses...No one explained my protocol or the reasoning behind it with either retrieval. I asked directly and got answers, but nothing was volunteered.
[PREG] Billing is SKETCHY. There are several things on the 'financial agreement' that aren't submitted to insurance...Recently I feel like they have overbooked themselves and are understaffed. If you need someone after hours or on the weekends godspeed getting in touch with anyone...No one explained my protocol or the reasoning behind it with either retrieval. I asked directly and got answers, but nothing was volunteered.
Communicate more
The nurses are quick to respond to emails/messages and return phone calls. During my two egg retrievals Dr Payne only did one of the five scans. My second egg retrieval was done by another doctor and that was never communicated it, I learned before hand when it was noted in my chart. Which is fine, but it would have been nice to know prior. After my first egg retrieval(19 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 11 embryos but only 2 made it to day 5 and 1 genetically normal) I scheduled a consultation to try and figure out why my numbers were so much lower than anticipated and didn't get a real answer. Constantly felt like I had to advocate for myself.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina, Meagan)
The nurses are quick to respond to messages/emails/calls.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Billing is SKETCHY. There are several things on the 'financial agreement' that aren't submitted to insurance. For example anesthesia isn't submitted. So you pay on average $1300 out of pocket for it for an egg retrieval. After talking to insurance they said they do cover it. They also charge a cycle management fee(varies on prices but $300-500). Double check what you are paying for, check with insurance with what is covered and ask lots of questions. I feel like they double dip and get away with it, but it is hard to prove. They are also only open mon-thurs 7:30-4:30 and fri 7:30-12:30. They make you fit into their schedule. Recently I feel like they have overbooked themselves and are understaffed. If you need someone after hours or on the weekends godspeed getting in touch with anyone.
IVF was about $13k not including meds. They have a lot of things that aren't billed through insurance. Anesthesia, cycle management, etc. They might be a better clinic if you dont have any insurance coverage, but they won't file a lot of things through insurance. Other clinics in the area are certainly cheaper.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have had two instances when meds weren't called in. I realized two days before I needed to take my trigger shot they never called it in. They also didn't call in meds to my insurance for prior authorization. I felt like I constantly have to stay on them asking questions etc.

2021 - 2022, Successful
He [Dr. Tarnawa] never makes our appointments feel rushed or he needs to get to the next patient in his very busy schedule. Anytime I feel like I’m spiraling the second I meet with him about my concerns or confusion he immediately puts me at ease...He always put my mind at ease with his extensive knowledge. I would love to see him more in the treatments but at the same time he is always willing to jump on a call or schedule a meeting if necessary...
Their [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] compassion in telling us devastating news and their joy in celebrating the wins along with us is everything! Also having a nurse say she’s praying for you is the most comforting thing I’ve ever experienced in a medical setting. They answer all of my 50 million questions with 0 frustrations while being short staffed and dealing with countless other patients...
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Don’t be afraid to ask a million questions and come prepared for your meetings so you get the best of your time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He never makes our appointments feel rushed or he needs to get to the next patient in his very busy schedule. Anytime I feel like I’m spiraling the second I meet with him about my concerns or confusion he immediately puts me at ease.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I have endometriosis and one blocked Fallopian tube and my husband has low sperm count. Husband was put on clomid which we saw amazing results with that treatment for him. We were given a less than 5% chance of getting pregnant on our own and that IVF would be the best option for us. He didn’t think that IUI would work for us but was willing to give us 3 chances. After that he felt we would be throwing money away. (Loved the honesty!) We did our first IUI in October and resulted in a biochemical pregnancy. We were devastated. We had never seen a positive pregnancy test before and they short lived joy of that was really hard when we got our blood test results. Dr. Tarnawa and the nurses explained what that meant and why it can happen and gave us so much peace. We had to skip November’s cycle due to hormone levels taking awhile to come back to normal. We were scheduled to do another IUI in December and found out the day before Christmas that our IUI was cancelled due to my dominant follicle being on the side with the blocked tube. (Devastated was an understatement.) We did our second IUI in January and we were both on clomid and I had 1 trigger shot. We also did daily progesterone vaginal suppositories to help in case my lining was too thin and that could be a reason for a biochemical pregnancy. We found out 2 weeks later that it didn’t work. (4th month in a row of devastating news.) We met with Dr. Tarnawa in January and had the hard conversation of deciding to skip our 3rd IUI opportunity and moving to IVF. IVF increases our chances from 5% to 65%. I have a very high AMH which should give good results in follicle counts and eliminating the need to follow my bodies natural cycle and eliminating the use of the Fallopian tubes should give us the best results in having our own family!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Katie and Krystal)
I don’t know how we could have survived the last 4 months without Katie and Krystal. Their compassion in telling us devastating news and their joy in celebrating the wins along with us is everything! Also having a nurse say she’s praying for you is the most comforting thing I’ve ever experienced in a medical setting. They answer all of my 50 million questions with 0 frustrations while being short staffed and dealing with countless other patients! Can not say enough good things about them!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are the staff. They’ve become like extended family members. Always remembering what’s happening in our life outside of the treatment. I’d say a weakness is that they seem short staffed as we’ve gone on with the clinic and more couples are going to them now that they expanded into the area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I believe we are at about $5,000 and it will being jumping to $20,000 in the next 2 months.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Nichols was direct, but has never made me feel rushed. He always explains every treatment thoroughly and allows time for me to ask any question I may have. He was not very personable from the beginning, but the longer I have seen him, the more personable he has become. He always gives me all of the options available, but also gives me room to make decisions. Before I come in he has already read my chart and is ready to explain any test results and next steps...
The staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] are personable, quick to respond, and able to get me answers easily. They listen well and help me to figure out next steps. Because my insurance does not cover insurance, they always make sure to help me make decisions so that I am able to spread out costs or make sure I can bill anything that is not infertility related (for example, surgery for endometriosis) to my insurance. They have a team member on staff that has explained the in's and out's of financing for IVF and they offer programs to help with payment as well as advertising various support groups around the office...
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Strengths: Clear and Direct Communicator, Allows me to make my own decisions based on facts given, always leaves room to answer any questions Weaknesses: Can come across cold, did not seem interested in doing additional testing unless specifically requested when diagnosing unexplained infertility
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Do not expect to be coddled, Dr. Nichols is a great doctor, but is not someone I would describe as warm. Cleary explain your expectations, what you are willing to do and not do and he will stay within your set guidelines and/or boundaries.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My first 3 cycles with Dr. Nichols included: Day 3-5 Letrozol, Day 12 baseline ultrasound with trigger shot and IUI performed the same day: Cycle 1: 4 Mature Follicles, Cycle 2: 2 Mature Follicles, Cycle 3: 2 Mature Follicles We continued to do the same treatment as I had mature follicles each cycle. After 3 failed IUI's we did a follow up meeting to discuss the next treatment options. I was considering doing a surgery for suspected endometriosis for years. Dr. Nichols told me I could do that, proceed with up to 6 (3 more) IUI cycles, or move on to IVF. I was given an IVF packet that explained what that would look like. I chose to follow through with the surgery. I proceeded with the surgery and found stage 1+ endometriosis that was removed. In my follow up meeting post-surgery, Dr.Nichols recommended I continue treatment immediately in order to ensure that the endometriosis did not return. He gave me a range of 3 months to a year before it could return. We chose to proceed with 3 cycles of letrozol, trigger shot, and baseline ultrasound post surgery. We found follicles everytime, but were unsuccessful each time.
I usually have the same nurse, but it sometimes rotates to others. My primary nurse has always been kind and personable. She tells me exactly what is going on during follicle scans, answers my questions clearly, and gives me directions on next steps. She explains any risks associated with too many follicles or any other issues I have had.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff are personable, quick to respond, and able to get me answers easily. They listen well and help me to figure out next steps. Because my insurance does not cover insurance, they always make sure to help me make decisions so that I am able to spread out costs or make sure I can bill anything that is not infertility related (for example, surgery for endometriosis) to my insurance. They have a team member on staff that has explained the in's and out's of financing for IVF and they offer programs to help with payment as well as advertising various support groups around the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
For an IUI procedure it was ~$650 all in (follicle scan, sperm washing, insemination). Associated medication were about $150. Medicated cycles were about $150 for follicle scan, $150 for associated medications.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Payne called me after hours to explain the results from my testing of the 1 embryo that we had...He was very personal with me and very straight forward which is what my husband and [I] would like in a doctor...My first round of IVF I started with a lower dosage I think it was like 250 injections; they realized that this wasn't working with my body and mid cycle we increased the dosage but realized it was too late..Unfortunately my body just isn't responding and the decision moving towards donor egg to start a family was the right thing to do. He said you have nothing to feel bad about! That statement there brighten my day and I have felt good about our decision every since
[my PREG nurse coordinator was] Very professional never wanted to give my hopes up and was optimistic...When I was transferred over from Spartanburg to Greenville it did take the finance person a while to contact me and I don't like the billing it doesn't give you a good break down of the services surrendered that would be my main complaint and the app doesn't provide much information either...Under Dr. Payne $18k total with Preg over $20k
As stated in the previous statement! I liked Dr. Payne from my first appointment with him. He was very personal with me and very straight forward which is what my husband and would like in a doctor. He was caring, compassionate and honest and that's all you can ask for in a doctor.
Be prepared to hear the truth!!
I will never forget Dr. Payne called me after hours to explain the results from my testing of the 1 embryo that we had. He was so kind and it was not easy considering that I received the results the night before with no one to discuss it with. Although we expected it I always told myself it would only take one! Dr. Payne told me he wanted me to know one thing that none of this is my fault I have done everything I possibly could and allowed science to help. Unfortunately my body just isn't responding and the decision moving towards donor egg to start a family was the right thing to do. He said you have nothing to feel bad about! That statement there brighten my day and I have felt good about our decision every since! I was so happy that he took time out of his busy schedule to personally call me after hours! Now we are patiently waiting on our next steps as we have chosen our Egg Donor! I am thankful for Dr. Payne and still remaining hopeful that I will take that photo that I see everyone take "the graduation" photo! Dr. Payne also stated at my first visit with him its you, science and the rest is up to "God"!! Thank you Dr. Payne /Thank you Preg!
My first round of IVF I started with a lower dosage I think it was like 250 injections; they realized that this wasn't working with my body and mid cycle we increased the dosage but realized it was too late. We stopped the treatment and was given and option to move towards a round of IU because everything looked good. He left it up to us and we didn't see any reason why not, the day after Thanksgiving my cycle came and that's when we of course realized it hadn't worked. We then made an appointment with Dr. Payne before the holidays to discuss his concerns. He explained that we could do another round but according to my numbers my ovarian reserve was decreasing and he was concerned that it may not work. We decided we wanted to give it our all bc we knew next steps was DE which Dr. Payne went over all the details with that as well. We took a break and started back in January and body was slowly responding but responding. We stared with a higher dosage I think 400-450 this time. We made it to egg retrieval thought we would retrieve more but retrieved less and they did some scrapping around my lining for future implantation. Retrieved 7 two made it and then one made it to testing and he was abnormal. Here we are today and have found our ED and we are waiting on someone else to find her since we went with a smaller package!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
My nurse coordinator was nice. I think when we first started with her I didn't feel like she was caring but I think that was her personality but as I had more appointments I could see the compassion in her. Very professional never wanted to give my hopes up and was optimistic. But the Spartanburg team overall was very nice!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have had the pleasure of visiting the Columbia clinic where I started and I loved Dr. Fru and her staff but Dr. Fru left and we relocated. We moved to our hometown and the Spartanburg office grew on me but I felt like the Columbia office knew me. Greenville I only went twice but it was nice and friendly.
Under Dr. Payne $18k total with Preg over $20k
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The billing coordinator in Columbia was horrible with returning calls or providing you with billing info. I saw complaints on line and it hadn't happen to me but then it did. When I was transferred over from Spartanburg to Greenville it did take the finance person a while to contact me and I don't like the billing it doesn't give you a good break down of the services surrendered that would be my main complaint and the app doesn't provide much information either.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Typically his approach is single embryo transfer for lessening the risk of multiples...Dr. Tarnawa is both empathetic and factual. Meaning, he helps my husband and I understand the steps involved in our plan detail by detail...We used a Clomid protocol at first for IUI. That gave me a bad headache so we switched to Letrozole. For IVF we used a more aggressive protocol..
This is a newer branch of PREG so I think they’re working on the need for more staff or equipment to be able to do more of the IVF procedures at the Lowcountry location. The only comment I’d make is for my husband. When we have gone in for his sample he said the rooms are not very comfortable for him and there isn’t usually tissues or sink or anything for him...my main nurse and is just such a fast responder and compassionate human
Dr. Tarnawa is both empathetic and factual. Meaning, he helps my husband and I understand the steps involved in our plan detail by detail. He has drawn pictures for us and taken phone calls to help us feel good about our decisions and walk us through the facts while being very patient and understanding.
Be flexible. Just because there’s a protocol in place doesn’t mean it’s an exact science. We have changed our plans a little but that’s all it is. Readjusting and taking small steps. Never be afraid to ask your questions! That’s what they’re there for.
Both Dr. Tarnawa and nurses working with me never ever forget my case details. They’re emphatic and also realistic and help us understand the science and “why” which I appreciate. I have never felt unheard and there’s always a plan.
We used a Clomid protocol at first for IUI. That gave me a bad headache so we switched to Letrozole. For IVF we used a more aggressive protocol. BC 5 days before starting my new cycle and Gonal f and low dose Hcg. I did that antagonist protocol for 4 days and unfortunately a lead follicle took off. Instead this time we are using estrace and omnitrope with Gonal f and hcg to help the follicles grow together. We start this round tomorrow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Katie Walker)
Katie is my main nurse and is just such a fast responder and compassionate human. I feel so comfortable with her and know that when I write in or call she always responds that day and gets me in when needed. The whole staff is lovely and I feel like they all care and just make you feel good in a tough situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was able to get in so much sooner than the other local place. This is a newer branch of PREG so I think they’re working on the need for more staff or equipment to be able to do more of the IVF procedures at the Lowcountry location. The only comment I’d make is for my husband. When we have gone in for his sample he said the rooms are not very comfortable for him and there isn’t usually tissues or sink or anything for him. But that’s it.
It was about $12k or $15k for IVF with genetic testing. I don’t know that that includes meds. IUI was around $1000 first time and $600 the next without the HSG test.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Typically his approach is single embryo transfer for lessening the risk of multiples. I don’t see an issue with this if it’s a safer approach.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Payne understands that there is no black and white handbook when it comes to infertility care. He thoroughly explains the issues that are known, he explains his recommendations, and he gives you adequate time to make decisions without pressure...I am technically diagnosed with unexplained infertility. However, I have failed 2 out of 3 HSGs, so we are assuming my tubes are an issue as well... So instead of wasting efforts and resources on IUIs, we went straight for IVF
[our PREG nurse] was the most gentle nurse I've dealt with. She called to check on me each time after our chemical pregnancies, and I know she was just as heartbroken as we were...I will say the billing department is somewhat lacking. We've had several issues with billing to insurance when it is cheaper to pay out of pocket... but no one communicated that until it was already billed..
Dr. Payne understands that there is no black and white handbook when it comes to infertility care. He thoroughly explains the issues that are known, he explains his recommendations, and he gives you adequate time to make decisions without pressure. It's easy to assume that when you go to a fertility specialist, they will be able to diagnose you during your first appointment, and "fix" you by the second. However, it is more of a journey than a one stop shop, and while it is a difficult journey for most of us, Dr. Payne is there with you every step of the way... answering questions and looking ahead to the next step of the journey.
Just trust the professional. He's been in his line of work for years, and he is willing to work with you and try new things to reach your pregnancy goals.
Dr. Payne is thorough in his explanations. He doesn't try to make you feel stupid or rushed. He knows this is probably one of the hardest battles you will ever go through, so he listens and adapts his treatment options to the individual couples' needs.
I am technically diagnosed with unexplained infertility. However, I have failed 2 out of 3 HSGs, so we are assuming my tubes are an issue as well... So instead of wasting efforts and resources on IUIs, we went straight for IVF. Before coming to PREG, I was on an insane amount of Clomid Cycles (25ish)? Dr. Payne did away with that, proceeded with the IVF protocol. 1 Egg retrieval resulted in 5 embryos to blast. For our two transfers, we did Estrodiol and Progesterone. Sadly, the two transfers resulted in two chemical pregnancies and a great deal of heartbreak. However, we are getting ready for a myomectomy and a mock transfer to test the uterine lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla Carver)
Makayla was the most gentle nurse I've dealt with. She called to check on me each time after our chemical pregnancies, and I know she was just as heartbroken as we were.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The healthcare side is second to none. They bring it everyday, and work together brilliantly to achieve baby goals. I will say the billing department is somewhat lacking. We've had several issues with billing to insurance when it is cheaper to pay out of pocket... but no one communicated that until it was already billed. I think if billing communicated a little bit better, it would make the clinic five stars.
I believe the HSG was $600ish. The IVF egg retrieval and first transfer was $12,000ish. And the following transfers were $3500ish. Labs are extra, initial ultrasound was extra, and semen analysis was extra, but I'm pretty sure all of those fell under the $500 mark, individually.
Dr. Payne strongly encouraged eSET.

2020 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Tarnawa always sat down with us to help us understand the things that needed to be done and afterwards, why they happened a certain way. We were always greeted and asked how we were. He showed compassion throughout and even after our time with him...He leaves no stone unturned when he is making sure that everyone of his patients has the best possibly for success in whatever they may be trying to achieve.
I really enjoyed going to this [PREG] clinic. It made me feel welcomed everytime I walked through the door, which was alot. They make sure that you have the best understanding of what is going on and what needs to be done...The nursing staff was very helpful and compassionate...I agree with his approach to eSET.
I absolutely loved being Dr. Tarnawa's patient. He had the biggest heart and most compassion I have ever seen in any doctor. He leaves no stone unturned when he is making sure that everyone of his patients has the best possibly for success in whatever they may be trying to achieve.
The best advice I can give is to let Doctor Tarnawa do whatever test or procedure he believes is necessary. No matter how much you don't want it or even if you think it is unnecessary. He is trying to give you the best chance possible.
When I first started seeing Doctor Tarnawa I was all but ready to start an IUI cycle with my former doctor. At our first appointment he sat down with my husband and I and went over what he thought of our previous plans and what he believed should be done. After discussions we decided since I am a carrier of DMD that we would go with an IVF cycle with PGT. Being overweight I needed to reach a certain BMI in order for the IVF to be done. Once I achieved the weight goal and went through all the testing he required, ultrasounds, genetic test for my parents, and medication for embryo retrieval. He retrieved 3 eggs, 2 became embryos, and 1 egg came back genetically normal. He found that I had a uterine polyp and preformed the removal of it. I went through the medication procedure and he transferred my one embryo, which didn't take. He checked in on my husband and I afterwards and gave us hope for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Cutler )
The nursing staff was very helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really enjoyed going to this clinic. It made me feel welcomed everytime I walked through the door, which was alot. They make sure that you have the best understanding of what is going on and what needs to be done.
My insurance provided a once in a lifetime $20000 fertility treatment coverage and $10000 fertility medication coverage. The clinic dealt with the insurance company and I just paid copays.
I agree with his approach to eSET.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
As a patient, I would recommend Dr. Nichols. I felt that he explained everything to us and what to expect in our consultation. We live far away from our clinic and he was able to make progress with us in just a few visits. I also had to have a procedure completed and I felt like he was very compassionate and caring when I was anxious and nervous. I look forward to working with him and his facility in the future.
The Preg Asheville team have absolutely been wonderful. I feel that I am a person who has a lot of questions and I always felt like they were answered promptly and completely. The team was so compassionate to me during my loss and I have no complaints...Anytime I have ever had any questions, I always, always receive an answer back that day. They even worked me in when I felt like I needed to be seen again. I don’t have any weaknesses to mention because they have been very helpful, compassionate and understanding of my needs.
Just be patient, not everything happens overnight but he will work with you to find a solution.
I felt like he took the time to explain things to me and especially took the time to talk to me after a procedure that I had to have performed.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility in early November of 2021. We started letrozole 5mg and also a trigger shot in December. We did this for 2 months and then we upped my dosage of letrozole to 7.5mg with a trigger shot. I fell pregnant that cycle. Unfortunately, the baby’s heart stopped beating around 8 weeks and I was going to have a miscarriage. I was given several options on how to treat the miscarriage. I was never pushed into any treatment that I didn’t want to do. I chose to have a D&C. After the procedure, the doctor made time to talk with me about how everything went and next steps. He called me the next week with my D&C results and what our next steps were. Even though we lost our first pregnancy, I have hope to keep trying because of Dr Nichols and his nurses in Asheville.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Wynni and Hillary )
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly can only say strengths for this clinic. Anytime I have ever had any questions, I always, always receive an answer back that day. They even worked me in when I felt like I needed to be seen again. I don’t have any weaknesses to mention because they have been very helpful, compassionate and understanding of my needs.
I have to pay my copay for a specialist when I see the doctor. That is $70 each visit. I also have to pay for my medication which is close to around $150 a month right now. I also paid for my D&C which was around $850
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I have gone several months without seeing or communicating with Dr. Nichols. The majority of interactions are with his nurses and I have seen him maybe three times in the 11 months I have been a patient of his...He offers multiple options for treatment to allow me to choose what is best. He also took cost into account when recommending treatment options.
The [PREG - Greenville] clinic is great at offering appointment times that work well with my schedule. I live over an hour away and it is really convenient to have the option of getting my appointment in at 7:30 and not having to miss much work. Billing can be a weakness at times. I am self pay as my insurance has no coverage...[nurses] Kristina and Shannon have been excellent to work with. They have been calm and kind during difficult visits.
Dr. Nichols was highly recommended to me when searching for a physician. While I know he is involved in my care, I have only seen him in person at 2-3 visits. He offers multiple options for treatment to allow me to choose what is best. He also took cost into account when recommending treatment options.
Be prepared with questions before you enter a visit if at all possible. Also, know that he is pretty straight to the point and realistic.
Dr. Nichols started me initially on 2mg of Letrozole for a few days. When my ultrasound showed no growth, we increased the dosage in that same cycle. We again had the same result and increased in the end to 10 mg for 5 days. Since this dose did create follicle growth, we continued with this in the following mont and added Ovidrel for OI to have better control over when I ovulated. He suggested that we could initially start with OI and TI in order to save on costs. We did this dosage for three more months which were all unsuccessful. We then decided to do the HSG which revealed that I have a unicornuate uterus. He then recommended we switch to IUI. We completed that cycle with OI and TI instead due to cost and then used the same medications for the month we unsuccessfully completed IUI. We planned for another month of IUI on the same medications but the follicle scan showed no follicle growth. He suggested that we could add goal f to the current round. However, since our firth month with medication at the start resulted in three increases in meds and three ultrasounds (all out of pocket) we decided to wait until the next cycle to add goal f. IN the last cycle we completed, we used 10 mg letrozole for 5 days and two injections of goal f 75 mg on days 7 and 9 I believe. The ultrasound again showed minimal growth so Dr. Nichols ordered 4 more days of goal f 75 mg to attempt to increase growth but not too much as too many eggs would be against medical advice given my unicornuate uterus. The second ultrasound again showed minimal growth and Dr. Nichols recommended finishing out the cycle with no IUI and attempting again the next cycle with increased medication. Dr. Nichols only recommends two more rounds with these meds as at this point, medication costs start resembling those of IVF. He recommends moving to IVF if we continue to be unsuccessful as the dosage we use in goal f will not matter as much with an egg retrieval as it does with IUI given my circumstances.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina and Shannon)
Kristina and Shannon have been excellent to work with. They have been calm and kind during difficult visits. After my HSG, I was very emotional. Kristina sat with me for a while, explaining things to me, providing tissues, and offering support and time. She also supported me through the HSG by reminding me to breathe and talking through every step of the process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is great at offering appointment times that work well with my schedule. I live over an hour away and it is really convenient to have the option of getting my appointment in at 7:30 and not having to miss much work. Billing can be a weakness at times. I am self pay as my insurance has no coverage. I have been charged different amounts for the same testing from one visit to the next but this has been corrected by bringing my receipts with me to each appointment. I have sent emails before requesting cost of certain procedures and tests and did not receive a response, though I did receive an answer when I called and left a message with the nurses.
All of my costs are out of pocket as I am self pay. HSG was $600. Each vaginal ultrasound is $190. Progesterone test is $60. IUI costs $500 plus medications (goal-f 2 75 mg is about $200, ovidrel is around $100, and letrozole is about $9). An office visit or phone call to speak with the doctor is around $60.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I had a slightly elevated TSH and was started on levothyroxine before I even started cycles with treatment. I was told I would have my TSH levels rechecked and have asked on more than one occasion but still have yet to have this test ordered after being on levothyroxine for nearly a year.
2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tarnawa and I only spoke by phone due to him being in a different city. I spent a good bit of the time speaking with the nurses he had in charge of the IVF process. He would keep a close eye on all my scans and work done and adjust things as needed based on results. I felt confident that he was doing what was best for the optimal results...If you are not going to the Charleston, SC be prepared to be seen by another Dr. instead of him, although all results do go to him and he makes the final decisions...
My Nurses [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] did a great job at communicating with me throughout the process. I felt I could reach them at anytime throughout the process whenever I needed to. They answered every question I had...wish I got more information on the embryos as they were developing and why some may not have made it. While I only had one it would have been good to know what happened to the few others that started to show signs of developing...
He was great with explaining everything to us when we started with him. It was hard to communicate or see him while going through the process due to being in two different cities, but he always made sure there was someone to take care of us in his absence.
There were a few set backs in my process. The first occured whenever we were completing egg retrieval. My hormonal levels were not where they were suppose to be, he then waited another week to see if my follicles would grow even more and adjusted my medication. That seemed to help a lot. We also had a set back before transfer time, where my hormone levels and my lining of my uterus were not quite where they needed to be. He then decided to wait a week to give it more time before we moved forward.
My Nurses did a great job at communicating with me throughout the process. I felt I could reach them at anytime throughout the process whenever I needed to. They answered every question I had.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I thought the staff was very friendly and did a great job at explaining each thing that was happening through the process. I felt that they showed great empathy as my results were not where I wanted them to be, but they were thurough in being sure to set up another appointment to help explain things to me. There are a few things I wish were a little more available and there for patients. The first is I wish they had some way to help patients when the IVF process fails to help them financially be able to afford the process. Having to save 12,000 and hand it over between procedures and medicine is very hard to do, then to have something fail and feel like you have to do it all over again is gut wrenching; especially if you only had one embryo to start. I also wish I got more information on the embryos as they were developing and why some may not have made it. While I only had one it would have been good to know what happened to the few others that started to show signs of developing. After handing over $6,000 to them I felt like they then had me come in for more tests, this was fine but that money I felt should have been included in the original price, it was stressful knowing that for the next 2-3 times I came I still owed them money a week after almost cleaning out my savings.
$6,000, after insurance
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. McCoy is always available to answer questions and concerns. He explains everything in detail and he leaves no page unturned. I know I am not just a number...reviewed the images from my HSG, multitude of ultrasound images, went over my history in detail.. then asked to evaluate things for himself because something wasn't adding up
I can not say how amazing the entire staff is at preg. From the second you walk in the door the greet you and know you by name. The nurses are absolutely amazing! They are knowledgeable and compassionate...Everyone I have had contact with in the office has been amazing - the phlebotomist, nurses, office staff, insurance coordinator, doctors, and everyone else that I forgot. They 100% care about you as a patient!
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy has always been up front and honest with us. When I began seeing him for treatment, I had been to a primary OB that wanted to skip looking into the "blockage" that she claimed to have found without any tests besides an HSG. I was distraught and scared. Dr. McCoy reviewed the images from my HSG, multitude of ultrasound images, went over my history in detail.. then asked to evaluate things for himself because something wasn't adding up. After his exam, he discovered I did not have a blocked tube, but I have what is called a unicornate uterus. Nothing that needed to be surgically corrected as it was something I was born with. He answered all of my questions right then and there about my diagnosis.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Don't waste time with primary ob's. I wasted over a year of time and got no where at all besides broken hearted month after miserable month. If you are worried about the cost, also don't, the office has many options to help you even if your insurance doesn't have benefits for fertility. It is reasonable with or without insurance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. McCoy is always available to answer questions and concerns. He explains everything in detail and he leaves no page unturned. I know I am not just a number to PREG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Hillary and Winnie)
I can not say how amazing the entire staff is at preg. From the second you walk in the door the greet you and know you by name. The nurses are absolutely amazing! They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Hillary is the nurse I have seen most at the office for scans. She will tell me what she is seeing on the ultrasounds, explains the medications and how they work, as well as explained the self administered injection. Winnie I met my first time at preg for my consult. She talked to me while we waited on the doctor and made sure I knew what would happen at that appointment. She was informative and explained the medications that he prescribed and how/when to take them.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
If you have been waiting on seeking out a specialist for your fertility needs, stop! Make the call to PREG! I promise you will not be disappointed. Everyone I have had contact with in the office has been amazing - the phlebotomist, nurses, office staff, insurance coordinator, doctors, and everyone else that I forgot. They 100% care about you as a patient!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My consulting was no charge. Each appointment there after has varied depending on my insurance coverage, never more than $75
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Travis McCoy
2017 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Payne made my experience as a patient great. I highly recommend Dr. Payne and his staff. He is able to help his patients understand what is happening before, during, and after treatments. He listens to you. He makes recommendations for your particular treatment plan. He doesn't order tests unless it is absolutely necessary...In the beginning, timed intercourse was recommended for a few months. This did not work. We tried Letrozole/Ovdrel and Clomid/ Ovdrel. Using these medications we were able to get pregnant. The first one we lost after 7 weeks and the third IUI was successful and we were able to have a live birth.
The staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is caring. They let you know things that is important such as financial information, planning, and alternatives. The communicate and call you back in a timely manner. Each individual in the clinic shows compassion and encouragement. There is no weaknesses I can really think of...The nurses go above and beyond to help patients out. They are amazing. They show compassion and care for each patient trying to achieve their dreams of having a family.
Don't give up.
He's caring as a doctor. He was able to take care of my fertility issues.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is caring. They let you know things that is important such as financial information, planning, and alternatives. The communicate and call you back in a timely manner. Each individual in the clinic shows compassion and encouragement. There is no weaknesses I can really think of.
I can't exactly remember how much the costs were for my treatments. I know my insurance does not cover fertility treatments.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
The doctor [Dr. John Nicols] was very informative about numbers and stats, but he lacked when it came to answering questions and providing a warm bedside manner...My husband doesn’t work along side doctors, he felt hopeless after meeting with Dr. Nichols. Dr. Nichols is very intelligent though and was gentle with my bedside procedures.
PREG is always quick to respond to my phone calls. They make setting up appointments and ordering medicines stress free. We are always greeted with kindness and compassion. I’m thankful for the staff at PREG. They make this difficult journey a little easier...[nurse] Christina was very personable and compassionate with me and my husband. She explained every step of whatever procedure she was doing as she did them. She took time to answer all our questions and made sure we were comfortable. No complaints or weakness to note about Christina.
As a healthcare professional, I know how doctors can be exceptional, but yet have a horrible bedside manner. My husband doesn’t work along side doctors, he felt hopeless after meeting with Dr. Nichols. Dr. Nichols is very intelligent though and was gentle with my bedside procedures.
Never lose hope.
The doctor was very informative about numbers and stats, but he lacked when it came to answering questions and providing a warm bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Christina )
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
To date we have spent $3,885.58. We will be spending roughly $22,847.93 for our first ivf cycle.

2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] explained PCOS more throughly then my OBGYN, explained all the tests that were performed and answered all questions I had. We went over in detail. I was able to get in touch with her when needed. She listened when she needed to listen. She explained outcomes and what I should expect...She isn’t judgmental and she will help
[PREG - Columbia] Nurses were well knowledge of everything, if the doctor did not tell me then they did. They made calls about test results, explained things when I needed, and they were overall friendly towards me and my husband...Only thing I had a problem with is scheduling. It took a long time to set appointments or have follow ups. Otherwise I would rate the the clinic 9/10 in overall. The place is kept clean and organized. Everything is very sanitary
She explained PCOS more throughly then my OBGYN, explained all the tests that were performed and answered all questions I had. We went over in detail. I was able to get in touch with her when needed. She listened when she needed to listen. She explained outcomes and what I should expect.
Be open with her and tell her everything that you need. She isn’t judgmental and she will help
She was very friendly and explained to me more then my regular OBGYN
I am in the middle of treating with her and running tests, blood work, test to see if my tubes are blocked, etc
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Allie)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My insurance does not cover anything under this care unfortunately. So everything is out of pocket
Describe Lisa Cookingham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
No comments yet. We haven’t started that process but will soon
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr Tarnawa always took our ideas into account. He would explain why we were doing certain things. He always made himself readily available for us when we had questions. We are currently suffering from reoccurring loss with normal embryos and he’s been very compassionate while telling us what he thinks. He has been by far one of the best drs we’ve had fertility and non fertility wise and would constantly recommend him...
The nurses [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were always amazing. They showed compassion and we’re always responsive...The (Charleston) clinic was very prompt in responses. Appointments took no time and I never had to worry how long to get in. The Columbia one was a little more busy and harder to get initial appointments too...
Trust his advice. If you have any questions ask! He’s very easy to talk to and has thought out explanations.
Dr T always took my feelings and considerations into account. He explained everything to its full extent, and never made us feel like just a number.
Transfers- Lupron depot, Estradiol, PIO, letrozole, northindrone, lovenox, medrol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Katie and Crystal )
The nurses were always amazing. They showed compassion and we’re always responsive
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
After multiple chemicals and a miscarriage we were recommended to transfer 2.
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
[Dr. John Nichols] was upfront with all of the information I needed to know. He did not try and sugar coat anything or make things sound better than they were. He was knowledgeable and answered all of my questions and my husband’s questions. I could not imaging going anywhere else...I felt like Dr. Nichols took the time to understand our stage of infertility. He also said that every step of the was would be our decision.
One weakness [of Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] would be the time it takes to get in. I think I end up waiting a month to be seen as a new patient. After the way I’ve been able to get doctors appointments whenever I need them. The staff is always able to get me in. The atmosphere is also very welcoming and calming...Everybody was so kind and compassionate when I was in the office or called. I never felt like I was rushed during a procedure or consult
Dr. Nichols was upfront with all of the information I needed to know. He did not try and sugar coat anything or make things sound better than they were. He was knowledgeable and answered all of my questions and my husband’s questions. I could not imaging going anywhere else.
Be ready to hear the truth.
I felt like Dr. Nichols took the time to understand our stage of infertility. He also said that every step of the was would be our decision. If we didn’t feel comfortable doing IUI and wanted to go to IVF he would support our choice.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
One weakness would be the time it takes to get in. I think I end up waiting a month to be seen as a new patient. After the way I’ve been able to get doctors appointments whenever I need them. The staff is always able to get me in. The atmosphere is also very welcoming and calming.
None of my procedures were covered under insurance so I had to pay everything out of pocket. I felt like what I was paying wasn’t an outrageous amount for the services that I was receiving.
My husband and I just got information for IVF and Dr. Nichols said that we would be doing eSET because it is safer. They also gave us a packet full of information pertaining to eSET and comparing it to multiple embryo transfer. I feel like Dr. Nichols is looking out for my health by choosing eSET

2022, Consult
He [Dr. John Payne] treats you like a person and really wants to help the best way he can. I would recommend him to anyone trying to have a baby. He even explains everything and makes sure that you understand it before you leave...He took the time to get to know us and explain everything that he would be trying to help us conceive
The place [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is nice and the staff is great. They make sure that you feel comfortable and everyone makes sure to explain everything that you are having done so you can understand it. I would tell anyone that is needing help with having a baby to go see them...He took the time to get to know us and explain everything that he would be trying to help us conceive
He treats you like a person and really wants to help the best way he can. I would recommend him to anyone trying to have a baby. He even explains everything and makes sure that you understand it before you leave
That he is a great doctor
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The place is nice and the staff is great. They make sure that you feel comfortable and everyone makes sure to explain everything that you are having done so you can understand it. I would tell anyone that is needing help with having a baby to go see them

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I've only met him [Dr. John Payne] 3 times but he was very nice and walked me through all the steps for each procedure. He was very professional and informative. I do wish I had more contact with him instead of just nurses but I've been very satisfied with everyone...I wanted to transfer 2 embryos but was told he would most likely be against it...The dr and clinic [PREG] has been very helpful during this whole process.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is very helpful and informative. I've had no issues with anything during treatment...I've only met him [Dr. John Payne] 3 times but he was very nice and walked me through all the steps for each procedure. He was very professional and informative. I do wish I had more contact with him instead of just nurses but I've been very satisfied with everyone.
I've only met him 3 times but he was very nice and walked me through all the steps for each procedure. He was very professional and informative. I do wish I had more contact with him instead of just nurses but I've been very satisfied with everyone.
The dr and clinic has been very helpful during this whole process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very helpful and informative. I've had no issues with anything during treatment. I would definitely recommend this clinic to others and have multiple friends who go here as well who have had success
Insurance has covered everything so far
I wanted to transfer 2 embryos but was told he would most likely be against it
2019 - 2022, Consult
[Dr. Lisa Cookingham] Truly cares about her patients & great communication. Listened to everything I had to say and was opinionated (in a good way) as to what needed to be done. Explained throughly and gave me options. We sat and talked for a long time, which I appreciate because a lot of Doctors are such in and out..
Ladies in the [PREG] lab that draws your blood will keep you laughing. The nurses are so pleasant and seriously look after you. They are also so well at responding with calls and lab work. Never had a bad experience and would trust any of them...[they] Explained throughly and gave me options. We sat and talked for a long time, which I appreciate because a lot of Doctors are such in and out
Be honest
She was personal & truthful
So kind.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Ladies in the lab that draws your blood will keep you laughing. The nurses are so pleasant and seriously look after you. They are also so well at responding with calls and lab work. Never had a bad experience and would trust any of them

2021, Unsuccessful
[The first IVF cycle with Dr. Payne] 15 eggs were retrieved, 12 fertilized and on day 3 the lab called to say all embryos had arrested. Second time around 13 eggs were retrieved, 10 fertilized....the lab came to tell us that we had 1 bad quality morula. [Dr. John Payne] said we should just transfer. As I am trying to process this info they did transfer. I wish they would had called ahead of time and told me the outcome. I should have had time to decide whether or not to transfer.
They [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] did not communicate how the embryos progressed or even gave me the opportunity to think whether or not we wanted to transfer a low quality morula...They lack compassion and good manners. They are not good at communicating or giving you updates which I think is so important as you go through this process. There is never someone on call over the weekends and all their retrievals are scheduled twice a week when they should be working with each person to determine which is the right day...
I did IVF twice. The first time 15 eggs were retrieved, 12 fertilized and on day 3 the lab called to say all embryos had arrested. Second time around 13 eggs were retrieved, 10 fertilized. On day 4 I called to try to get an update and the nurse said “no news is good news. Unless you hear otherwise come tomorrow for transfer”. The next day we go in and nobody would say anything to us. They took us to the OR, I got undressed and then the lab came to tell us that we had 1 bad quality morula. The doctor said we should just transfer. As I am trying to process this info they did transfer. I wish they would had called ahead of time and told me the outcome. I should have had time to decide whether or not to transfer.
I would recommend they look for another clinic.
I felt like they were just running a business and were trying to collect money rather than caring how I felt throughout an emotional process.
The nurses approach is “if we don’t call you it means every is ok with your results”. I think that either way it should be communicated and it would take them 2 minutes to call or send an email. It is nerve racking to wait all day wondering if they will call with bad news
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
No strengths. They lack compassion and good manners. They are not good at communicating or giving you updates which I think is so important as you go through this process. There is never someone on call over the weekends and all their retrievals are scheduled twice a week when they should be working with each person to determine which is the right day.
I had Progyny through my employer
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
They did not communicate how the embryos progressed or even gave me the opportunity to think whether or not we wanted to transfer a low quality morula. After my first retrieval nobody told me about side effects and I had to figure it out by myself

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Payne was a excellent dr. He explained everything the first dr appointment. Then after testing finding out we were going to do ivf he told us everything to expect...Our first transfer we just transferred one embryo and ended up with a chemical pregnancy. The second time we transferred two embryos...In my protocol our only option was ivf because my husband had such low sperm count. First thing was getting all of our meds started for egg retrieval. I was on birth control for a bit. Then went in for a baseline ultra sound. Did my injections everyday. Went for egg retrieval, then a couple months later we did a frozen embryo transfer.
They will start your treatment with the cheapest option and explain all of the financial aspect to you...I would go in for every appointment and look forwarded to talking to her. [our PREG nurse] did a fantastic job explaining everything to me and my husband. She would always be smiling...I paid 12,500 for ivf. 5,000 for meds...
Dr Payne was a excellent dr. He explained everything the first dr appointment. Then after testing finding out we were going to do ivf he told us everything to expect. From the first visit until I graduated was everything I expected.
Listen to everything he says. Follow all of the instructions and don’t get discouraged.
I felt like as soon as I walked in the door everyone treated me like family
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie biggerstaff)
Stephanie was the absolute best nurse I think I have ever met. I would go in for every appointment and look forwarded to talking to her. She did a fantastic job explaining everything to me and my husband. She would always be smiling.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg has a place in my heart. With out them I would have never had my babies. They mean the world to us. This clinic and the people there feel like family to us. If anyone is having fertility issues go here. They will start your treatment with the cheapest option and explain all of the financial aspect to you.
I paid 12,500 for ivf. 5,000 for meds.
I agree with eSET. Our first transfer we just transferred one embryo and ended up with a chemical pregnancy. The second time we transferred two embryos and have two beautiful baby girls now.

2019 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tarnawa has been great each time that I have met him. He took over Dr. Singleton's practice and took the time to introduce himself. He always explains himself very clearly and makes sure that you leave your consultation/office visit understanding what treatment/procedures lie ahead...he was very polite and caring. He took the time to explain procedures, freely gave recommendations and answered questions.
PREG lowcountry is wonderful. You will feel welcomed as soon as you walk through those doors! The environment is hopeful, peaceful, and calming. The ladies from the front desk to the back are friendly and try to help make you feel at ease during a stressful time...The nursing staff at PREG lowcountry have been wonderful. They are great with communicating and keeping in touch during treatment.
Do it...become a patient! Be at ease and take that first move...you won't regret it!
I have met with him three times. One virtually and two in person. All three times, he was very polite and caring. He took the time to explain procedures, freely gave recommendations and answered questions.
The iui that I had he prescribed clomid. This was my first time using Clomid and he made sure that monitoring was involved and then prior to the iui the trigger shot was given with the iui in 36 hours. Unfortunately, the procedure resulted in a negative pregnancy test. It is by no means a result of what Dr. Tarnawa did or didn't do. My God is the creator of life and Dr. Tarnawa is a tool used to help obtain this precious life. I'm a little older being 40, so we have decided that the 6th iui would be the last and we would be moving on the IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Courtney and Katie)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The procedure for the iui cost roughly 2500 with medications included. We are currently looking at doing IVF and the estimates in prices were from 9700 to 12 700 without meds.