7.1

Selling medication is not offered

12039 NE 128th St.
Kirkland, WA 98034
425.822.7662

[Dr. Opsahl] provided treatment for our 1st and 2nd IVF cycles, I have since moved to new clinic for treatment...very kind and supportive, but we decided to move clinics because we were not 100% confident in the treatment decisions...we were excited that we had made one fertilized egg which was frozen at a 2PN stage. The recommendation was to complete a few more IVF cycles, batch more eggs and then grow and genetically test all of them at the same time. I later learned that freezing at the 2PN stage is somewhat unusual and was more for cost savings associated with batching eggs. Moving on to the 2nd IVF cycle, we never had a formal review with our doctors to discuss how the cycle went and if they would recommend modify our treatment plan. Instead, we hastily discussed if we would change the medication dosages at the end of our Day 3 suppression check appointment. The team even asked my opinion if I wanted to lower the hormone dosages. I appreciated that they wanted to consider my input but I'm not a RE expert so I thought it was a little odd. In the end they lowered my Gonal F dosage and the 2nd cycle ended unsuccessfully with no fertilized eggs.
Dr. Opsahl and Dr. Beasley provided treatment for our 1st and 2nd IVF cycles, I have since moved to new clinic for treatment. Overall, the doctors and nurses at POMA are very kind and supportive, but we decided to move clinics because we were not 100% confident in the treatment decisions...I would encourage patients of POMA to be their own advocates. If you don't feel like you are getting enough information reach out and the team is good at responding...Laura was a great IVF coordinator very compassionate and organized. Really appreciate all her help.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
Dr. Opsahl and Dr. Beasley provided treatment for our 1st and 2nd IVF cycles, I have since moved to new clinic for treatment. Overall, the doctors and nurses at POMA are very kind and supportive, but we decided to move clinics because we were not 100% confident in the treatment decisions. After our first IVF cycle at POMA we were excited that we had made one fertilized egg which was frozen at a 2PN stage. The recommendation was to complete a few more IVF cycles, batch more eggs and then grow and genetically test all of them at the same time. I later learned that freezing at the 2PN stage is somewhat unusual and was more for cost savings associated with batching eggs. Moving on to the 2nd IVF cycle, we never had a formal review with our doctors to discuss how the cycle went and if they would recommend modify our treatment plan. Instead, we hastily discussed if we would change the medication dosages at the end of our Day 3 suppression check appointment. The team even asked my opinion if I wanted to lower the hormone dosages. I appreciated that they wanted to consider my input but I'm not a RE expert so I thought it was a little odd. In the end they lowered my Gonal F dosage and the 2nd cycle ended unsuccessfully with no fertilized eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
I would encourage patients of POMA to be their own advocates. If you don't feel like you are getting enough information reach out and the team is good at responding. If you are confident in the treatment you're getting, consider a second IVF opinion, that was really helpful for us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
I was treated by both Dr. Opsahl and Dr. Beasley, both of whom were very polite and friendly. POMA is a very busy clinic so I often felt rushed when we had meetings with the doctors and nurses. I also didn't realize we were supposed to have a cycle review after each IVF cycle. We didn't have one after the first cycle but we did after the second and in hindsight that review meeting made big difference in how we felt about the treatment.
Describe the protocols Michael Opsahl used in your cycles at Poma Fertility and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 (8 days of stimulation): Lead in with birth control. Day 5 started Menopur 150IU, Omnitrope 0.5ml, and Gonal F 300IU. Result: 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized. Cycle 2 (7 days of stimulation). Lead in with birth control. Day 5 started Menopur 150IU, Omnitrope 0.5ml, and Gonal F 225IU. Result: 2 eggs retrieved, 0 mature, 0 fertilized. Update: I moved clinics and switched protocols for diminished ovarian reserve. Cycle 3 (12 days stimulation). Lead in with 2mg estrogen 2x daily. Day 3 started with Clomid 100mg, Gonal F 450IU, mini-HCG 20 units. Result: 10 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 2 fertilized, 2 blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Poma Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Describe your experience with Poma Fertility.
The staff are genuinely compassionate and want all patients to be successful which is a strength of POMA. The operating room and laboratory is very professional with lots of identification checks. Weakness are (1) POMA is a very busy clinic and so you often feel rushed in your meetings and (2) egg retrieval waiting area felt like an emergency room with the individual bays separated by sheets. This isn't a big issue, I just had the odd experience of overhearing the doctors celebrate with other patients about all the eggs they just retrieved. I knew going into my own retrievals that I would only get a few eggs so it was painful to hear these conversations. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was actually in tears as I waited for my last retrieval at POMA after overhearing the previous patient's success. This was one of the contributing reasons we decided to move clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility.
IVF including meds and ICSI $25,000
Kirkland

I felt like a number and did not receive personalized care. Bedside manner was not good. I do feel he knows what he is doing however I mentioned concerns at our initial meeting which were not further looked into and later found out my concerns were true after having undergone multiple treatments.... I do not feel he took time to understand our specific situation or story, and rather looked at our test results and advised treatment solely on that.
Strengths: Lindsey (nurse) Weaknesses: not very proactive I found myself needing to reach out to see what next steps were which was stressful. They [Poma Fertility] got so busy they wouldn’t take a phone call and would only communicate via the patient portal which was very difficult for complex matters.... I am not sure if the clinic designated Lindsey my nurse... but she was our saving grace and provided the care and compassion we needed.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
I felt like a number and did not receive personalized care. Bedside manner was not good. I do feel he knows what he is doing however I mentioned concerns at our initial meeting which were not further looked into and later found out my concerns were true after having undergone multiple treatments. Discovery of this blockage sooner would have saved years, thousands, and miscarriage potentially.
Be warned of his bedside manner and delivery of words are very blunt. Not a great listener.
I do not feel he took time to understand our specific situation or story, and rather looked at our test results and advised treatment solely on that. If he would have I feel our results would have been different. Not personable and bedside manner brash.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Poma Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
I am not sure if the clinic designated Lindsey my nurse or if she designated herself, but she was our saving grace and provided the care and compassion we needed. We felt like people rather than a number to her and she really cheered us on.
Describe your experience with Poma Fertility.
Strengths: Lindsey (nurse) Weaknesses: not very proactive I found myself needing to reach out to see what next steps were which was stressful. They got so busy they wouldn’t take a phone call and would only communicate via the patient portal which was very difficult for complex matters. Dr’s bedside manner in how he communicates is not very compassionate and treatment doesn’t seem personalized. Megan the nurse practitioner is very rough with ultrasounds and was very invalidating to my thoughts and feelings based on what she’s seen with others, again making me feel like a number.
$30K total for IVF including “Poma care” and all expenses $2K for IUI
Describe Michael Opsahl's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Poma Fertility.
Very pro eSET and pushed us towards it initially. Until our results were not what he thought and he ended up transferring 2.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Poma Fertility.
I was waiting for a response from nursing to determine if I would postpone my IUI that I did not receive in the manner communicated. Additionally we were not walked through our second IUI in terms of timelines when to order medication and last ejaculation we ended up paying a rush fee I had to figure it out on my own.
Kirkland

He [Dr. Michael Opsahl] was 20mins late to our appointment, and when we told him we were not interested in IVF, he immediately said that is what we needed to do. He was dismissive of our questions and made us feel completely blindsided. He also said that all my tests would likely show worse results because I was about a year older than when they were taken. Said we should start IVF right away and sent us to finance. Felt like we were buying a car.
Ambiance isn't right [at Poma Fertility-Kirkland]. Staff seems very rehearsed in what to say. Doesn't seem to care about patients. Money driven. Felt like a number and felt fake. I would never step foot in there again, it just was an awful experience. So much so, we didn't return to a different fertility clinic until a few months ago. I feel that their experience really soured everything and took some time away that we cannot get back. It feels like they truly take advantage of some patient's despair and urgency to want a baby.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
We have been told by all our doctors that IVF was not something we had to even consider, that our tests looked good and just needed to looked at by a fertility specialist. He was 20mins late to our appointment, and when we told him we were not interested in IVF, he immediately said that is what we needed to do. He was dismissive of our questions and made us feel completely blindsided. He also said that all my tests would likely show worse results because I was about a year older than when they were taken. Said we should start IVF right away and sent us to finance. Felt like we were buying a car. The nurses all remarked that there was no way we could get pregnant because "vasectomy reversals require IVF"...TOTALLY FALSE. It all felt very rehearsed and the doctor has clearly drank the koolaid and is in this for money. We left in tears, completely traumatized. I did go back to do bloodwork and ultrasound. Wouldn't you know, some of my tests IMPROVED ornstayed the same. The doctor and his office are absolutely awful, lack professionalism, and give out incorrect information. My naturopath and acupuncturist had other women around that same time go to Poma and report similar experiences and as a result, stopped referring women there. It was just a terrible experience all around and the lack of compassion was disgusting.
To go elsewhere or at least get a second opinion.
Spent less than 15mins reviewing all the paperwork. Dismissive of our questions. Rushed us to the finance office. It was traumatic.
He said that due to the vasectomy reversal and sperm analysis, 9ur ONLY option was IVF. They do an extra test on sperm called the 'AR' test...which I later found out is unreliable and other clinics do not use it or have heard of it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Poma Fertility.
Discouraging, unprofessional, rushed patients.
Describe your experience with Poma Fertility.
Ambiance isn't right. Staff seems very rehearsed in what to say. Doesn't seem to care about patients. Money driven. Felt like a number and felt fake. I would never step foot in there again, it just was an awful experience. So much so, we didn't return to a different fertility clinic until a few months ago. I feel that their experience really soured everything and took some time away that we cannot get back. It feels like they truly take advantage of some patient's despair and urgency to want a baby.
Most was covered by our insurance with the exception of the sperm analysis...which was more due to an added test that other clinics do not recognize as valid (AR test)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Poma Fertility.
I have had said everything that I think is relevant.

2015, Unsuccessful
I felt like meetings with Dr Opsahl were rushed and he didn't have time to spend thoughtfully answering questions. I also felt like he had a single protocol and if it didn't work well for someone, he didn't have any other ideas or approach. His immediate next step was "donor eggs". Didn't have a great bedside manner... lacked sensitivity in how conversations were handled. Also had several situations where we felt rushed through an appointment with little to no time to ask any follow up questions.
Super organized office and staff [Poma Fertility]. Communication with the nurses was great. They have a portal used to document all visits, tests, communication which was helpful...The nurses were all fantastic. They responded to all questions in a timely manner. They were very organized and efficient. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and showed a lot of compassion....I had to reach out a couple of times to get paperwork sent to other clinics. They didn't respond the first time the request was sent.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
I didn't feel like the treatment was tailored to me in any way. It appeared from my experience as well as others I've spoken with that there is a system followed, and if it isn't successful, the next step is donor eggs. Even after a single cycle, there was not even a discussion to be had on other possible options or ways to approach the protocol. Terrible bedside manner in my case and lacked sensitivity in how conversations were handled. Also had several situations where we felt rushed through an appointment with little to no time to ask any follow up questions. Overall felt that I was rushed through a process. He also didn't seem open to any questions I asked regarding chinese medicine and acupuncture nor that it was helpful in the IVF process, which I found odd. And although I did disclose I had a thyroid issue, he didn't monitor it closely during the process, which was also a red flag to me. His nurses are amazing though - have to mention that. They were beyond helpful and very responsive anytime I had questions or needed help.
Ask questions on the process and protocol and if/how they are tailored to your specific situation/needs. In general, ask lots of questions and don't assume you are being told everything you need to know!
Describe your experience with Poma Fertility.
Super organized office and staff. Communication with the nurses was great. They have a portal used to document all visits, tests, communication which was helpful.
Kirkland

He [Dr. Opsahl] was knowledgeable and patient but constantly couldn’t remember what I had done and would suggest medications that would cause me to overstimulate. I think he’s a good doctor but slightly rushed with me as an IUI patient....The nursing staff [Poma Fertility] has been very scattered. I repeatedly have to remind Dr. O of my previous end responses.... The nursing manager ended up taking over my case because so many people forgot to call me back
I really like Jennifer at the front desk. Super friendly and helpful. I also like the location [Poma Fertility]. It’s a bit busier than i was anticipating...Nurses always confuse me, give me the wrong directions, forget to call me back, etc. I really like the PA Megan though and do not feel like a number with her.... I was over-dosed and under-monitored on Estradial that caused me to have to take a three month break because it messed up my cycle so much.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
He was knowledgeable and patient but constantly couldn’t remember what I had done and would suggest medications that would cause me to overstimulate. I think he’s a good doctor but slightly rushed with me as an IUI patient.
Advocate for yourself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Poma Fertility.
The nursing staff was constantly forgetting to call me back, confusing me with someone else, etc. The nursing manager ended up taking over my case because so many people forgot to call me back or give me the correct directions or call in my Rx and she has been great.
Describe your experience with Poma Fertility.
I really like Jennifer at the front desk. Super friendly and helpful. I also like the location. It’s a bit busier than i was anticipating but i feel heard with Megan the PA. The music needs to change though!
Three IUIs for $1500 I believe? Ultrasound is $165 I think. They no longer offer the package of IUI and i think it’s $625
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Poma Fertility.
The nursing staff has been very scattered. I repeatedly have to remind Dr. O of my previous end responses. They have taken up to a week to call me back. They have called me with IVF scheduling information when I am an IUI patient. I was over-dosed and under-monitored on Estradial that caused me to have to take a three month break because it messed up my cycle so much. This all happened while Megan was on maternity leave.
Kirkland
In the beginning we had good communication with the Dr. [Opsahl] Once Ivf started, I was to be in contact with one of the nursing staff.i had many question that didn't get answered and felt like I was just a number. When I asked questions the Dr sent me to one of the nurses to answer them....Make sure to go in with questions when meeting with the Dr and get them all answered the first time...I don't feel like I was informed with the protocol and exactly what the meds I was taking and what for.
I don't feel like I was informed with the protocol and exactly what the meds I was taking and what for. I had to pay 100 extra for meds to be shipped by a certain time because the coordinator [at Poma Fertility] wasn't on top of prescriptions. It was stressful and a little unorganized....There was one amazing MA that had the knowledge and info I needed to feel comfortable with what the protoco was. She was super informative and was the only one I felt comfortable with. The coordinator was nice but lacked empathy, organization and delivery of messages.
How was your experience with Michael Opsahl at Poma Fertility?
In the beginning we had good communication with the Dr. Once Ivf started, I was to be in contact with one of the nursing staff.i had many question that didn't get answered and felt like I was just a number. When I asked questions the Dr sent me to one of the nurses to answer them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Poma Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shanita)
8,000 for 8 frozen donor eggs 10,000 for Ivf . 1200. In medication
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Poma Fertility.
I don't feel like I was informed with the protocol and exactly what the meds I was taking and what for. I had to pay 100 extra for meds to be shipped by a certain time because the coordinator wasn't on top of prescriptions. It was stressful and a little unorganized.