RBA

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
1800 Northside Forsyth Drive
(404)665-5722
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RBA to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 62Neutral: 12Don't recommend: 88.8
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the [RBA] Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF.... Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF. It's not cheap!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with. From the first moment we met with her, she was warm, she listened, addressed our issues and explained our options in a very clear and concise manner. She has called me on weekends and I even have her cell number (though I try not to use it!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection. She taught me how to inject the meds and how to make it less painful. She gave me samples when I was running out of meds and she was just awesome to work with.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
My husband and I opted for assisted reproduction after an unexplained miscarriage and inability to get pregnant again. Dr. Best listened to our story with compassion and took copious notes on our issues. She ordered every test in her "arsenal" to try and help us figure out what was going on. She explained the results of the tests and then explained our options (IVF v IUI, etc). I can honestly say that I enjoyed every appointment with her and actually looked forward to seeing her (something I can't say about most doctor visits). She kept my hopes up and was there for me during the difficult moments as well. She is a model doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
To be completely open and honest with Dr. Best about your fears and expectations and concerns. I had concerns about having a trisomy baby due to my age and Dr. Best reviewed with me how we could handle such a situation if it arose. She also had referrals to other doctors I could speak with (MFM's). If money is an issue, let her know and she will try to work out a treatment plan within your budget.
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I can't remember the exact protocol used, but the first egg retrieval produced a disappointing three eggs so we banked those and did another retrieval that resulted in 12 more eggs! Using ICSI, we then created 12 embryos which we froze until I was ready for a transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
We spent about $40,000 for two egg retrievals, three embryo transfers and this includes medicine.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
This was something I agonized over quite a bit. Dr. Best was good at showing me the ASRM standard for number of embryos transferred due to age, but she listened to my concern about multiples and helped me reach an informed decision each time on how many embryos to transfer.
Marietta
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
Describe your experience with RBA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic [RBA] but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me...Approximately $14k for the retrieval process. Then an additional cost of a choice of $4k for one embryo transfer or $6500 for multiple transfers up to a live birth. The second round cost was unexpected and not communicated until it was necessary. I was not able to have My medications ordered until everything was paid upfront.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RBA.
Again educate yourself on the process, ask a lot of questions,Take notes and be prepared to be the squeaky wheel. They should have someone on staff just to answer phones and answer questions. Calling and getting someone on the phone is an act of God. Most times I would have to call and email and call again and again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma is great! She is very sweet and reassuring of the process. The process in general in regards to the office and getting people to call you back and give you all the details you need was less than great. I felt like I had to be on top of all phone calls and calling and or emailing several times in order to get an answer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Crystal Alcantara)
I felt that they forget we don’t know the process of what is happening. There are some things you don’t know to ask or to do if you aren’t told or haven’t been through this before. Some vital information was not effectively communicated.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma is very compassionate and knowledgeable. I feel like some extra communication could have been better for example I did not realized that eggs were graded and actually asked afterwards and then was explained.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Be prepared to be very persistent and knowledgeable on the subject yourself.
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was on the highest dosage of meds for the egg retrieval and wasn’t expected to result in many eggs as my AMH was a .42. My egg retrieval was the highest dosages of Lupron and Follistim. The Lupron gave me migraines. Although the 2nd transfer using it maybe my body adjusted as I didn’t have the headaches like the first two times. I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5. With Estrogen and Progesterone. My first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The embryo started to implant but ultimately did not. All my levels were perfect and everything should have worked but it didn’t. Additionally after the failed transfer I had a scratch biopsy and was put on antibiotics. My 2nd transfer is scheduled in 10 days. In addition to the medication I have been receiving accupuncture treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
At first I really wanted to do multiple embryos in the transfer. Due to having a myomectomy in 2014 Dr. Brahma recommended that I only do one at a time due to the potential my uterus may not be able to take getting so enlarged. She also explained that if the uterine environment were to be the cause of a transfer not taking I would most likely lose both embryos in a multiple transfer.
Sandy Springs
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office.... There are no weaknesses at RBA. This clinic is wonderful. The office staff, nurses, and doctors simply are amazing. I feel welcome and cared for each time I step in and out of that office. This office has made our process if unexplained infertility much easier with their love and care!
Describe your experience with RBA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He gives 100% of his time to his patients. Answers and elaborates on the treatment process. Answers all our questions thoroughly.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office. They want my treatment to be a success just as much as I do and they provide me 100% of their time always.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him. He is a contributing factor to my mother in law’s IVF transfer which resulted in the live birth of my husband! He is a wonderful doctor!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Trust him wholeheartedly over any article or research you read, he knows exactly what he is doing.
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was given instructions to avoid alcohol and hot tubs before and after my IUIs. This prevents a rise in my body temperature potentially putting my inseminations at risk. He put me on an antibiotic to take Agee the IUIs to avoid any potential infection since the uterus is sterile and that barrier was crossed with the IUI process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Unexplained infertility is not covered under insurance. We have spent an estimated $5,000 in bloodwork, ultrasounds, IUIs, and consults.
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He is the professional when it comes to any and all fertility treatments. Having suffered two miscarriages naturally, now under his care I know he knows what is best for my body and the potential risks that come with multiple transfers. I trust him 100% in his approach to eSET.
Sandy Springs
RBA is huge and it is a pretty well oiled machine. The most annoying part for us has been the billing office which took forever to return my calls or emails. Everyone else has been mostly kind. I had one rude person answer the phone but that’s all.... The nurses have been wonderful. They answer all of my questions and put up with my crazy. They tell me of their own personal experiences with IVF. They are quick to respond and always thorough. They made me feel like they cared.
Describe your experience with RBA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is very matter of fact. He doesn’t give any emotional support. He did make a joke at the end of my second appt with him and it was kind of a shock because his personality is so straight forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy C)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is direct and to the point. He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot. He is not emotionally supportive at all. I cried when he told us ivf was our best option and he pointed to the box of tissues on his desk and kept talking.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Go with this doctor if you want an efficient, smart doctor who will cater to your timeline. Get a therapist elsewhere.
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test and maybe more tests. My husband had to do two semen analyses and ultimately they found male factor infertility was the issue. Due to his numbers ivf using ICSI and a frozen transfer were presented as our best option. We are about to start the egg retrieval process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
So far we have paid about 13,000 but expect to pay 26 or so for IVF with ICSI.
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He recommended transferring only one embryo for us as it is lower risk.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
It’s a big clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs]. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.... Dr. Toledo’s main nurse, Krista, is amazing. She never seemed bothered by my calls or questions and she was kind and compassionate. He had another nurse or assistant, I don’t remember her name, who is also ok, but not quite as warm as Krista. But she wasn’t mean and she got the job done, just not with that warm fuzzy feeling. His NP is also great!
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a big clinic. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.
Dr. Toledo is warm and caring. He always comments on things in my life we’ve talked about in the past, I’m sure he doesn’t remember, he probably makes notes and then reviews his notes before our appointments BUT he takes the time to do that. He’s caring and compassionate. When my beta came back negative he called me himself and talked to me while I cried. He’s simply the best.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Like I said before, he’s warm and compassionate. He is friendly and funny. He takes the times to answer questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed. When the first plan didn’t work he made a new one. He’s open to things I suggest or ask about.
Write down your questions ahead of time. Write down his answers. Know that once treatment starts you won’t see him frequently but he does look at what’s happening and have his nurse call with the recommendations and changes.
We did a cycle with follistim and ganirelix. I don’t remember dosages but do know that my dose never changed from the starting dose bc I responded well. They retrieved 19 eggs but only 8 were mature. Six fertilized with ICSI and one of the immature eggs did fertilize in the dish overnight. On day 3 the embryos looked good and they pushed me back to a day 5 transfer. On day 5 all the embryos had stalled in the day 4 stage so we transferred 2. Unfortunately, we didn’t get pregnant and the remaining 5 embryos died in the lab the day after transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We had some insurance coverage so paid a deposit of about $3000 and about $2500 for meds. We also did two IUIs. We submitted one to insurance and maybe paid a couple hundred dollars out of pocket for that but I can’t remember exactly. The second one we paid for ourselves and it was probably about $2-3000
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered...For the initial visit, my husband and I met with a nurse practitioner, who was very helpful in answering our questions and who showed compassion. After my surgery, I saw another nurse for the post-op visit, who was good, but not as great as the first nurse was.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered; however, I hope this can be worked out.
Dr. Daniel Shapiro was great at addressing my and my husband's concerns and explaining the details involved for the surgery I had in 2017 to remove my left fallopian tube and clean the adhesions & scar tissue from endometriosis. He also has a great sense of humor, which helped alleviate my anxiety.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro was very detailed in his explanations and, in particular, explained the next steps needed. He also helped me feel calmer before undergoing surgery. He is a forthright and direct communicator, which I appreciated.
Feel comfortable asking questions, even if you think they are minor or irrelevant.
Dr. Shapiro removed my left fallopian tube, which was blocked, and cleaned the adhesions and scar tissue present as a result of stage 3 endometriosis. I did not know I had endometriosis, but I did find that I had a blocked fallopian tube after having done the HSG test. The surgery was necessary to remove the blocked fallopian tube and to diagnose if I had endometriosis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
The surgery I had was around $3-4k, though most was covered by the insurance company. It was less expensive because the clinic has an out-patient facility. The office consultations were $100-$300/visit. The bloodwork was about $300-$900 for my husband and me. Most of these costs were covered by my insurance company, though we did pay money for co-payments and co-insurance. Right now, I have been billed by Lab Corps to cover the lab work done with our initial visit, which should've been covered by the insurance company. I have been in touch with the billing office; however, it has not yet been resolved. RBA needs to resubmit the claim with the diagnosis code that will be covered by the insurance company. The billing office person said they've had several of these returned claims and are working on handling them. However, this has been the most frustrating part of the process so far.
Male Factor, Other
Strengths: great success rates, many offices [RBA Marietta] so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do.... All nurses are very caring and helpful! They always email me back if I have questions within a few hours!
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: great success rates, many offices so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do. (1.5 hours)
Dr. Best has been through IVF herself and took the time to share with me how she understands going through infertility. She made me feel comfortable through the whole process. She’s actually the only doctor that found the issue with my husband and I because she took her time and didnt rush through the testing!
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I’ve never felt more comfortable with a dr. She told me at my first visit with her to put all the stress on her and for me to relax and I’ve honestly done that for once. I trust Dr. Best because she knows what it’s like to have infertility problems and I know she’s going to help us start a family! She’s very patient and answers all questions and I always leave understanding what our next step is.
Make sure you have your past history all printed out, it helps to have it there to look at when you’re going over what’s next.
I did two IUI prior to Dr. Best so when we went to her I wanted to try timed intercourse to see if my eggs would even respond and they finally did. We did clomid 100 and a trigger shot and both cycles I had 4 and 6 follicles!! We didn’t get pregnant unfortunately because we later found out my husband has a morphology issue so we are seeing the male specialist now and hoping to improve sperm quality and then go back to iui or ivf!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Consult is $250, hsg was around $700 I think, sperm freeze was $650, ultrasounds around $200, husbands ultrasound was $510, IUI is around $1700, IVF starts at $14,500
I haven’t gotten this far yet.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Amy was great. The best way to contact her was through the email portal. She usually replied within a maximum of a couple of hours. She answered all my questions and concerns as well as helped me make sure all my records came in from my other physicians...My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications...I liked the initial presentation that I was able to attend on a Saturday morning. It was a good presentation to introduce prospective patients to the clinic, procedures, and some of their doctors and staff. I never had a problem contacting the main office via phone or email. I also never waited more than 10-15 minutes for them to call me back for an appointment.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RBA.
I have some medical issues, and Dr. Straub took those into account and required each of my physicians to "sign off" on me getting pregnant. He wanted to be very sure everyone on my "team" was on the same page. When I saw him post-treatment (that did not work), I felt like he was completely "on my side". I had anticipated trying this one time, but he was very encouraging as everything went as planned except that the embryo did not result in a pregnancy. We are in the process of deciding to move ahead with another try.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerejewski)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
The first time I met with Dr. Straub, he was compassionate yet blunt. Blunt due to the issues my age may play a role in success of any fertility procedures. I understood that. The last time I met with him was after the failure of my procedure. He was extremely encouraging, as my body did everything it was supposed to do to prepare with the help of the fertility drugs and we had a great looking embryo. It was the "flip of a coin", as he put it, whether the pregnancy would happen. Because everything set up so perfectly, he is completely on my side in taking 1 more chance.
He's a good guy. You can't go wrong choosing him to be your physician.
I started with Lupron injections. Then, patches and internal suppositories were added. These were simply to control my cycle and prepare my uterus. I was lucky as I had no apparent side-effects of any of the medications. The results were excellent as my uterus did everything it was supposed to do in the expected time frames.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications. Insurance covered the cost of the initial consultation and the FemView (maybe?).
We never discussed multiple embryo transfer. I'm not sure that is even a consideration due to my age.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [RBA - Sandy Springs] in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes.... The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back.
European, Middle Eastern
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes. Multiple times I had to come in during the weekend for appointments and those were scheduled and handled very well which saved me lots of worries. The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. When I just became a patient at the clinic I was very unhappy with that. I felt that it was very important for someone to actually answer the phone when patients call. Later my attitude about that had changed, and because they never failed to called me back. Another part where I was a little stressed is when the business center (again in my opinion) were not very clear on the treatment payment/cost. I had to speak with multiple finance people until I was given a clear explanation.
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names, remembered our story and gave us the warmest greeting and spent a lot of time with us at our each visit with him.
The nursing staff is excellent! Very informative, caring and ready to help. They all seem very well trained and great professionals. They are very prompt returning phone calls which in this process could be extreme;y sensitive matter. I do not recall them ever not returning my call, falling short on answering my questions and were extremely patient and pleasant throughout the process. In the past month or so most of his staff members have become more like friends that I get to see on almost daily basis. It is amazing as I walk down the hall everyone knows my name and my treatment and it makes it easy to attend knowing how pleasant they all are and ready to help. The nurses are also making sure to let you know how excited they are for you and wish you the best outcome! Its another much needed support team :)
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names and gave us the warmest greeting. He is extremely attentive and will spend all the time we need at each appointment we had with him. We have never felt rushed and always felt very comfortable asking any questions we might've had for him while he was always very graceful answering all of them. He is one giving soul who takes mission trips often, dedicated his time to much research and is an amazing world of knowledge, and I wish all medical professionals had the same attitude about their patients, as it means so much to us, especially in case with fertility treatment us patients get very vulnerable and experiencing so many new emotions. If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words. So having such qualities as kindness, attentiveness, being highly knowledgeable in the sphere, having fine bed-side manners, and a great sense of humor, make an outstanding medical professional in my book! Hands down Dr. Shapiro is on top of the list for me!
Trust him he is one great fertility specialist!
Given that my husband and I are both healthy and have no reason to not be able to conceive on our own, Dr. Shapiro first recommended to go with IUI, and try it a few times before we consider IVF. He seemed very rational and considered of our situation and always tried to be very frank and honest with us. Never have we ever felt that he is not invested in our journey. It always seemed that he is also concerned with our financials as well, since he mentioned that IVF is a very costly treatment and lets stay away from it as we can. After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF. Dr. Shapiro was very supportive of that. Every time along the way whether it was IUI or IVF he was extremely informative, has had multiple consultations with us to make sure every detail is covered. At the current moment we are kind of half way in IVF treatment, and only yesterday I had the eggs extracted for fertilization. Once again the preparation period, including ultrasounds, blood work, genetic consultation, nurse consultations and more, was great and made us feel that we do have a fantastic team of professionals that are guiding us and "thinking for us' to some degree which was a very comforting feeling since it al was very foreign to us. So the path to the surgery was not as draining as I was expecting and have heard it would be from outside parties, online research, etc. and again the reason being that I was very well informed and guided and felt a lot of support from my doctor whom I trust and his team. He had assured me that I would have great response to the medications / shots I was using leading to the egg retrieval and that was the case. He was pretty excited on the day of the procedure to inform me with the outcome. Aside the psychological burden we experience as patients, the process was very well orchestrated and organized which relieved me of so much stress. Dr. Shapiro has so far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend him in a heart beat!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was given a range of 25-30,000 for the IVF treatment.
Dr. Shapiro had mentioned to us that many patients do in fact transfer multiple embryos for many different reasons. We did not feel that he was steering us to one or the other direction and what he did is inform us of all the potential results / consequences of a multiple embryo vs. single embryo transfer. After he had heard our story and realized our situation he was very much focused on our personal situation and our needs.
5 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
[RBA] Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly!.. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions...I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would.
5 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly! They will talk about their lives and open up if you chose to open up about your life. They know you by name and face. They are always respectful, kind, and compassionate. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions. Weaknesses: there was a time when the group was changing ownership. During this period, things were a little rocky. However, when we stated our concerns, things were dealt with immediately.
The moment I walked in, there was always a smiling face to welcome me. The staff know my name, know about our last conversations we had, gave hugs when news wasn't always the best, hugs when news was good, always positive, and always concerned with feelings and emotions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: 1) Ashely 2) Jennifer 3) Tamika)
I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would. In the office, they would spend as much time as needed with us to go over protocols and questions. They too, are always compassionate! I know I'm not just a number to them, but a human being when I meet with them. They truly want to get to know you and they don't mind you getting to know them. It feels like my favorite place when I am with them.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Shapiro, there was an instant connection. He treated us like real people. Real people going through a not so great time in our lives. We never felt rushed to leave the office when talking with him. He always made sure that we knew the course of action being taken and why. If there was something I or my husband didn't understand, he would explain it again in a different way. If something didn't work to his liking, he'd tweak the protocol. If he was stumped as to why we couldn't get pregnant, he would schedule an appointment with us, bring food, and make sure we went through everything with a fine toothed comb. He'd even text or call to check on us during retrievals, after transfers, or while waiting to things to happen. My experience with Dr. Shapiro has been one of the best when dealing with a doctor.
Trust him. He knows what he's doing!
For the retrievals, I was put on Gonal F, low dose HCG, and Lupron. Each was tweaked after each round to try and get the best possible number of eggs. For the transfers, Estrace, Crinone, and estrogen patches were used each time. After each failed transfer, the protocol was also tweaked. Part of this was due to my having a thin lining. With the tweaking, my uterine lining continued to thicken each time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Our insurance did not provide payment for services. The cycles cost around $14,000 and embryo freezing/genetic testing cost around $2000 for a package, unlimited for 6 mo. I believe. This has also changed a bit since new ownership.
None. Completely trusted him.
Sandy Springs
The clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs] is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
East Asian, South Asian
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
There is no follow up with the Dr. Mostly it is up to you to call and request a treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nina)
I usually see a PA when I come in for my monitored time intercourse. I like her, she is easy to talk to and answer all my questions.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I've Dr. twice. The first time was the initial consultation, he described his treatment plans to us in an effective way. The second time I met with the Dr., I express my incline to move forward to IVF after 3 failed letrozole cycles, he did went over the procedure and the types of medications that I will be on. After the appointment, he told me to contact the clinic when my period starts or when I want to start IVF cycle.
He is receptive to your opinion about the treatment plan, so do your own research and tell him how to proceed with the plan
He prescribed me to 3 cycle of monitored timed intercourse with letrozole. I did that but didn't get pregnant. Next option is to do IUI if I choose to, but I decide to go straight to IVF due to the fact with he won't change my medication to injectable due to high risk of multiple. So right now, I'm waiting for my period to start to do IVF, the treatment for IVF is: minimal dose of FSH, and ganirelex for about 10-12 days with monitor. I will be trigger with either HGC or Lupron, more likely Lupron since it has a lower risk of ovarian hyperstimulation. If it is Lupron trigger, then we will do a FET.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Every is out-of-pocket for me. It is around $600 for a cycle with monitor. This consists of the first Ultrasound in the beginning of your cycle, blood work. Then you have another mid cycle ultrasound to determine if you are near ovulation.
He will do a simple embryo transfer because the clinic has a high success with it.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
They [RBA - Atl Main] were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.... My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.
He seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Necy (sp?))
My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day. That was a bit stressful but ultimately because of my flexibility I didn't need to wait another cycle for the test.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
He seemed like a well vetted doctor who was current on his knowledge. He was a good listener, efficient, and concerned with the the things we mentioned as concerns. It seems like he's really honed his craft. He and his wife used the clinic themselves which helped make him relatable.
Don't wait. Modern medicine is a beautiful thing. Dr. Toledo can help you conceive.
He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation. A baby aspirin per day through the first trimester. Continued metformin and thyroid hormone supplementation. Trigger shot if needed to stimulate egg release. If all that failed he would move to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Not cheap and not covered by insurance mostly.
Sandy Springs
The staff [at RBA] is always so helpful and takes their time with you. I didn't feel rushed at all.At every appointment they give me their time and answer all my questions.I never feel rushed! I feel like they really care...The whole staff is amazing. From the beginning, you're filling out paperwork through their website. That helps by the time you see the doctor on saving time. You meet one on one with the doctor and go over EVERYTHING. You leave having a game plan on what you're about to do. The staff is very caring and positive. You leave having hope on what's about to happen.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The staff is always so helpful and takes their time with you. I didn't feel rushed at all.At every appointment they give me their time and answer all my questions.I never feel rushed! I feel like they really care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie and Julie)
I love these girls. Always answering all my questions. They always got back to me in a timely manner. They always made sure I understood all I had to do. They gave me an outline of EXACTLY what I had to do step by step. I NEVER had to stay on top of them, or ask what was next. I always knew.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr.Best has been a God sent! This is not easy to go through at all! This is such an emotional journey for my husband and I. She has a heart of gold and is always there to answer any questions we have. I feel like she's my cheerleader that's right by my side.
Make sure your paperwork is completed. Make sure your knowledgeable in what your insurance covers for fertility. Go in to the office with written questions. Have an idea of what you're willing to spend. Discuss all questions and be open and honest with your doctor.
I went for ultrasounds and labs. I took Letrozole. I injected hormones for a few days. Once my follicles were of normal size I had the IUI done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I pay out of pocket. Insurance does NOT cover this. That's ok. We feel that Dr.Best wouldn't have us try anything that wouldn't work. I don't feel like they want my money. I feel like they want to help bless us with our miracle.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[RBA's] Strengths: Clean State of the Art Technology and Equipment Kind nurses, technicians, and doctors Weaknesses: Takes a long time to get scheduled Front office staff at Kennestone location is a little unprofessional. Twice when were there for appointments, my husband and I both heard the receptionist talk about another patient with a nurse and complain that she was needy and annoying. It was really embarrassing to think that they might do that to us when we leave after an appointment. I never heard that at the Piedmont location though.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Best has also had to undergo IVF to have a child, so she shares her own story with her patients and makes them know that she understands their same fears and worries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
My nurse, Julie Morin, always communicated back to my husband and me within the business day, either by phone or email encrypted system. She always listened to our concerns, and even went to bat for us at the hospital when they were refusing to complete a test on me, because I was experiencing spotting. She explained that it was fine, and they needed to do the testing. If we hadn't had the test done, we would have had to wait one more cycle to have testing done. We appreciated her being an advocate for us.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best makes sure she takes time with each patient. She even has a sketch pad that she illustrates exactly what the fertility issues are. It was nice for my husband and I to see from her perspective why we were experiencing infertility and would need IVF.
I would have to say that it is difficult to get an initial appointment. We had to wait 3 months for the schedule to open up; however, we are so glad we were patient and waited. She was exactly what we needed in a doctor for our infertility journey.
Dr. Best first listened to everything we had already tried with other doctors. She explained that she wanted to complete some diagnostics of her own to see what was going on. She asked that we both get physicals, and she performed an HSG and an SHG on me. She was able to see that not only do I have uterine fibroids, but I also have hydrosalpinx on my fallopian tubes. She then explained that the fallopian tubes should be removed. We shared our concern to ever conceive on our own, and she listened to us. She shared her medical opinion, and ultimately let us decide our course of treatment. For now, we are going to have the right tube removed and attempt to conceive on our left side with some more fertility drugs, while we attempt to save up for IVF. She was very real about percentages and results experienced in the office with this treatment plan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I was not covered for any treatment under my insurance. I paid: $250 at inital appointment $98 for second appointment $196 for SHG $1,000 for HSG $121 for consultation meeting Quoted: $14,500 for 1 cycle of IVF and $5,000 for medications.
Dr. Best explained that she would allow us to decide to transfer one or two embryos based on what we were comfortable with. She said she would not transfer more than two at a time, since there are risks with multiples.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
IVF cycle (freeze all with genetic testing) - approx. $14,000 FET unlimited transfers until live birth - $6500 My medications were about $4000 for IVF and FET but those were not through the clinic (purchased through specialty pharmacies). I also had a hysteroscopy performed by Dr. Toledo. It was approximately $2000 (not covered by insurance)...Dr. Toledo has two nurses. Both are organized and respond extremely quickly to your questions. Usually I receive a response within 10 minutes if I email and about an hour if I have to leave a voicemail. One of his nurses isn't as positive or energetic as I would like but that did not impair my experience (and since Dr. Toledo himself is so optimistic and positive this particular nurse seems to be a real contrast in personality). But my primary nurse, Krista, is phenomenal - very organized and incredibly empathetic. Also Dr. Toledo's assistant, Mellisa, is very friendly and recognizes the emotional toll that this process takes. I also found the ultrasound techs to be very nice and compassionate, especially when I was having a down day during treatment.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with RBA.
The staff is very friendly - much more so than any other place we visited. The receptionist staff is always smiling. The clinic is large but I never felt like a number. I felt like they respected my time and didn't make we wait at appointments. But when I needed to talk to someone they would take the time and never rush me. I had to call the billing department once or twice because there had been an error, which was annoying, but they took care of it as soon as I called.
Dr. Toledo is incredibly compassionate. He always makes time to speak with you, even if you don't have an appointment with him or are only in the office for monitoring. If he isn't available in person, he will call you. He remembers all the details about not just your medical treatment but also your personal life. I have no idea how he does it - he must have tons of patients but he treats you like you are the most important patient. I have an incredibly unusual and rare issue and my treatment has not gone as planned. But Dr. Toledo has been very honest an empathetic throughout the entire process.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has an incredible bedside manner. He really understands what his patients are experiencing emotionally and knows how difficult infertility can be. He made me feel like I was a partner in deciding what treatment options we would pursue. Because my condition turned out to be so unusual (unexplained thin uterine lining that does not respond to hormones/drug therapy and makes carrying a baby highly unlikely) I did a lot of research on my own. I would bring different possible treatments options to Dr. Toledo and we would discuss each one. He made it clear that he was willing to try anything so long as it wasn't dangerous. I also made it clear very early on that it was very important to me that he didn't "sugarcoat" my diagnosis. Dr. Toledo respected my request and always discussed matters with me as an equal - not as a superior. On top of all that, he is a very optimistic person and makes it very clear that he will not give up on you.
Keep a list of questions as they arise and bring them to your meetings with Dr. Toledo. He will answer all of them. Do your research ahead of meeting with him so you can work with him to develop a plan/protocol that is right for you - he is great at creating customized protocols based on your specific needs as a patient. And be your advocate. At one point early on in my treatment I felt like a protocol wasn't right for me and one of the nurses was discounting my concerns. When I spoke with Dr. Toledo he listened to me, understood that I knew my body better, and worked with me to deviate the treatment so it was better suited to my body.
I had an antagonist protocol for my IVF cycle. I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The doses were very light and this was done because I have PCOS. Dr. Toledo listened to my concerns about the possibility of developing OHSS and monitored me closely to ensure this didn't occur. But I was also concerned about using a Lupron trigger (and not an HCG one) - I had read that eggs may not mature as much with a Lupron trigger. But a Lupron trigger is often used with PCOS patients to lessen the risk of OHSS. Dr. Toledo monitored me carefully and after 10 days of stimming allowed me to trigger with HCG. For my retrieval we had 24 eggs (15 were mature), 14 fertilized, 5 made it to day 5 blasts, and 3 tested normal in PGS. I did not have any complications during or after egg retrieval. Unfortunately I have been unable to transfer any embryos (yet) due to my thing lining. But Dr. Toledo has worked with me to try at least 4 different frozen embryo transfer (FET) protocols to try to develop my lining. None have worked so far but he continues to work with me and present new strategies.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I have not made it to transfer yet. However, Dr. Toledo has strongly encouraged that if/when I do I transfer just one embryo, particularly because mine are PGS tested. I get the impression that I could push for two and he would consider it but he has not said that (and I only want to transfer one).
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Do your research about whatever you're diagnosed with. As great of a doctor Dr Brahma is, you still have to advocate for yourself. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable. She will answer them and tell you if she agrees with them or if they aren't procedures she would suggest immediately. She is a great listener and provides sound medical advice... Dr Brahma has amazing bedside manner. Her entire team treats me like I'm their only patient. I can easily email them any questions I have and they respond within the day. Brahma greets me with a hug every time we have an appointment together. Her personality and demeanor are the reasons I have not sought out another RE.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
very organized, great staff
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr Brahma is a wonderful doctor, she explains processes in great detail and will listen to all my concerns and answer all my questions. Never have I felt rushed when meeting with her. She takes all the time that I need to make sure I'm comfortable with the information she's provided. An opportunity I feel Dr Brahma could add to her amazing practice would be to consider more protocols. Especially for DOR patients that don't respond to aggressive stims. There has been a lot of new research and she is aware of it but she sticks to standard protocols. I totally get that when its the first round, but after they fail, why not try something new? The other opportunity I see for Dr Brahma would be to consider more alternative therapies. She does agree with acupuncture but not Chinese herbs. She does not agree with using any supplements that may have desiccated organs. She doesn't suggest any dietary changes.
Clomid - I ovulated too early then had cysts for months and months after Lupron, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, canceled IVF Estrogen, Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, demanded to proceed and both were retrieved and fertilized. - did not achieve pregnancy HSG - Showed Polyp, had hysteroscopy that removed polyp and endometritis Femara, Follistim, HCG - IUI failed Femara, Follistim - breakthrough bleeding, cycle cancelled Moved on to Donor Egg - Transfer 4/11/17 (next week!)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
25k for an IVF, 18k for Donor Egg. Once I got insurance they filed everything thru them and I did not see the prices
Sandy Springs
RBA is a big clinic. Their staff is generally very friendly! I have had many, many positive interactions...Krista is amazing she is so through and responsive. She gets everything done as quickly as possible and is always will to help out and answer questions!...Plan ahead! He can be hard to get in to see. Usually he has a pretty long wait to get an appointment, so plan to schedule your appointment a few months before you actually want to be seen. Make notes or talking points ahead of time and try to think of questions ahead of time to get the most out of your time with him!...
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Toledo is wonderful. When you are in his office you are his only patient (though he probably has hundreds at any given time). He explains things throughly. The answers questions so that you can understand them. He's patient and compassionate and very easy to talk to.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I can't say enough nice things about Dr. Toledo. I feel so well cared for and my husband also lijrs and trusts him which is really important in the field. I feel like he genuinely wants us to succeed with every cycle. And he's never pushed me to do something that I wasn't ready to do. We started out very conservatively with my first few cycles and only moved to IVF after all other methods proved unsuccessful.
First few cycles were tuned intercourse with femara. Then we moved on to follistim and femara for 1 cycle with timed intercourse. The next month we planned femara + follistim again but we were going to do and IUI. I ended up over responding to the meds that cycle so I was converted to IVF and had a fresh transfer. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we are planning a real IVF cycle next month.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Best’s medical team [at RBA Sandy Springs] are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment...50% discount for vets...Their strength is that they are available to their patients, no matter the time. I normally got sad because I knew after I graduated, I wouldn’t receive the same quality of care as RBA. A weakness would be their sudden turnover, and what I feel is a lack of knowledge from the newest employees. I know that the veteran employees have been there long enough to have processes down to a science, but I feel there is a need for a more thorough on board process.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Best’s bedside manner is INCREDIBLE. At times, infertility is a subject that can be difficult to understand. Dr. Best explained it in the simplilest terms, always made me aware of the next course of treatment/testing, and has done it with a posititivity & patience that I’ve never experienced with any other DOCTOR that I’ve patronized (regardless of practice).
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Dr. Best’s medical team are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best had to remove my Fallopian tubes. It was one of the most difficult periods in my life. She was very kind and compassionate about the situation. I had to trust that she knew best. Fast forward to one beautiful toddler and current pregnancy with TWINS! I guess she knew what she was doing! We are forever grateful for her. Not only would we recommend her to others, WE HAVE. We are donating our remaining embryos, and Dr Best will be the doctor.
Enjoy the journey, and learn more than your friends know about reproductive health.
For retrieval, Gonal-F, Ganirelix and luepron (for trigger). For both transfers estradiol patches, progesterone oil and low-dose aspirin.
It was great! 50% discount for vets
Sandy Springs
The clinics [RBA] biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee...Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free...Say hello to everyone in the office. When you are nice and friendly, the staff gets to know you. Then you feel like everyone is rooting for you...Dr. Shapiro truly cares. It feels like my disappointments are his disappointments. He wants us to succeed. Even if my dream is not what he would dream for his life he wants to be able to help me get my dream. He is honest and straightforward.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinics biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee.
Dr. Shapiro remembers personal information about my life and works with my religious and schedule limits.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I have a very high AMH with out PCOS. We used 225 Gonal F to stimulate and get as many eggs as possible. The first 2 days I had a somewhat slow response. But then my estrogen started rising very quickly. We decreased the Gonal F to 175 and then down to 50. We had to trigger at day 10 because I already had many big follicles. We used Ganarelix to stop ovulation. I started it on day 4. We did not use Menopur because Dr. Shapiro believes it will decrease the number of eggs without increasing egg quality. We triggered with Lupron 80mg so I would not hyperstimulate. We got 36 eggs, 30 mature, 17 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5. 3 were PGS normal. We did 2 natural FET because I have a perfect uterus with perfect cycles. Both ended in a negative. We did one medicated FET with an endometrial scratch because it couldn't hurt and maybe it would help. And oral estrogen, vaginal cream progesterone, Lupron to stop from ovulating, medrol because it can't hurt and maybe it can help.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free.
Because the lab has to stick a needle into the zona palusa to get the sample for PGS, it increases the risk of the egg splitting so Dr. Shapiro encourages eSET. He also stresses the risks of multiple pregnancies.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
RBA's nurses are great. While they move quickly, they are very nice and will answer any questions. I feel very comfortable with the nurses...Kim in Cumming is excellent. She's totally on top of it if there's an opportunity to see Dr. Straub more quickly. The team does everything they can to not code your chart as infertility so you can use as much insurance as you can, but just double check because Dr. Straub said this then coded an appointment as IVF instead of PCOS or endometriosis which meant it wasn't covered by my insurance. Best to always double check.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with RBA.
When I see Dr. Straub I have his undivided attention. He has my chart and is not distracted.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
After 18 months with my OB including PCOS, 5 negative cycles with Femara, and a laparoscopy to remove severe endometriosis, I finally saw Dr. Straub. He was no nonsense which I appreciated. He outlined why IUIs would not work for us and we're on the same page to move forward with IVF. I thought it was great that he recognized we should pursue frozen transfers. I've felt comfortable asking direct questions and getting a clear answer. While I did a ton of research prior to seeing Dr. Straub, my husband did not and he felt Dr. Straub did a good job of explaining our issues, potential courses of treatment, why he recommends IVF, and how it would work. Dr. Straub is visual and lays it all out on paper for you. When he feels like the conversation gets de-railed, he brought it back. I'm a structure person and he seems to be as well so that works out.
Know your health history. Ask direct questions. While the process can be very emotional, go in to appointments with the goal of answers and plans.
Dr. Straub was very clear to recommend a single embryo transfer for my age and first IVF cycle.
2013 - 2017
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
We had decent insurance coverage so most of our office visits and routine procedures were mostly covered. The largest expense was the transfer cycles that were out of pocket and all together cost about $22,000...The nursing staff was excellent and easy to communicate with via phone or email. The always took time answer my questions and were kind and supportive...This clinic [RBA] is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
2013 - 2017
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with RBA.
This clinic is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
She was caring and kind. She always remembered me even though I'm sure she had many, many patients. She never made me feel like I was just one person out of hundreds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Karen Brierley)
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
I never expected to find a doctor so openly compassionate and caring, but Dr. Brahma was all of that and more. She was easy to contact and easy to talk to. She spoke of my infertility in ways that made it easy to understand and sought out treatment for me and my partner that would get us as close to a successful outcome as she could. We always felt welcomed with her.
She is a sought after and busy doctor, so it may take awhile to get in to see her initially, but she is definitely worth the wait.
We initially had my partners semen tested and found that due to male factor infertility, we would need to move on to working on him first. We then saw a doctor for him, he underwent a biopsy and medication to improve his sperm count and motility. We then tried clomid to induce ovulation in me for an IUI cycle, but I didn't respond. We then tried clomid and injectible medication but the she was unhappy with the time it was taking for my egg follicles to mature and was worried that even with my partners improved sperm, the chance of success with IUI would be low. She then suggested IVF. We began planning for that, but found out during planning that I had been diagnosed with a rare visual impairment. With this diagnosis, we decided to pursue using an egg donor. We spoke with 2 counselors and chose our donor and then had the eggs fertilized with my partners sperm. The eggs that survived to day 5 of maturity were then frozen. We then began our frozen embryo transfer cycles. The first cycle I was put on antibiotics, estrogen, baby aspirin, and progesterone in oil injections. The transfer was a success and I found out I was pregnant 10 days later. Unfortunately, I then miscarried at 5.5 weeks. After the miscarriage, a SHG was performed to make sure my uterus was clear and we moved on to the next transfer cycle. This cycle I was on estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections and lovenox to rule out any possible blood clotting issue. That transfer was a failure. The third transfer she decided on a more aggressive approach and I was on 20 days of antibiotics then estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections, crinone and lovenox. This transfer was successful and I was released from Dr. Brahms's care at 9 weeks pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Dr. Brahma had a strong opinion on eSET. She felt that the risk to the unborn child and mother were too great to risk a pregnancy with multiples and that transferring more than one embryo did not give us any statistical advantage in becoming pregnant. To her, the risk was not worth the reward and I agreed.
Sandy Springs
Dr Brahms's nurse Mary is amazing. She's so reliable and always responded back immediately when I called with questions or concerns. She provided me when samples when available too. She's also an incredibly sweet person...The IVF cycle was $14500. I believe each IUI cycle was $1500 and we did 3. The mediations cost us around another $1000...[RBA is the] Top of the line fertility clinic. It's the most expensive in Georgia but they have the best results, I think it's worth the extra cost
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr Brahma has some of the best bed side manner of a doctor I've ever seen. She spends so much time with her patients in her office explaining everything in great detail, drawing diagrams and making sure all questions are answered. She is patient and listens. She is warm and extremely caring
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Once again, she has probably the best bedside manner I've ever seen in a physician and I'm around doctors all day in my profession as a physician assistant. She is kind, gentle, warm and calm. She was frank but kind and always honest with us. She spends more than ample time with her patients explaining the procedures, risks and probability of success. I can't recommend her enough. In fact, I've recommended her already to many friends.
Prepare yourself mentally for the cost, which while it is ridiculously expensive, is well worth it
We attempted IUI with clomid for 3 cycles without success and then proceeded to IVF. We completed one cycle of IVF with successful egg transfer and initially 6 embryos created using ICSI. Unfortunately only 2 embryos survived and we were recommend to implant both on Day 3 so we did a fresh transfer with the 2 embryos and 1 implanted successfully. We gave birth to a completely healthy baby girl 3 months ago :)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Our doctor initially recommended we only do a single embryo transfer but on the day of transfer a different doctor was on call and he and the embryologist recommended since our only 2 embryos were not looking great that we proceed with 2 and in the moment we said yes. I'm glad we did, otherwise may not have had the success that we did
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Jennifer [a nurse at BRA] was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence...About $12k total for 1 IVF cycle but they broke it up so smartly that for our January cycle we were able to get medicine in December for the cost of $0 because I had met my deductible. I had a $5000 credit for IVF from work and then magically we got a $2000 refund at the end. Out of pocket we only ended up paying about $4k for this IVF cycle!
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
Having been to another clinic, this was head & shoulders above. Clean, medically advanced, set up to flow.
Always prepared for my case, hours response time to questions via email, always ready during appointments and fully understood that I was juggling job.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Cunningham )
Jennifer was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Extremely intelligent and a thought leader in the space. Sometimes his explanations were too complicated but I was fine with that, i got the gist and more importantly knew what he new. The first consultation was over 75 minutes and he laid out a plan and prediction at each step. His analysis at each step was accurate and with each step I gained more confidence that we would have a baby after 2 years of infertility treatments. Not only do I think he finally cracked the case on my infertility but but also that confidence was new and I think changed the outcome.
Take notes. He is so smart and fast and it's helpful to have notes to refer back to.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I wanted 2 with hope of having 1 baby. Dr. Shapiro strongly, very strongly, said one was enough and had enough medical evidence of why 1 was better that we listened.
Sandy Springs
Very efficient, good communication [at RBA - Atl Main]...open short hours though which can be difficult when calling....The staff was always wonderful...The head nurse Karen is excellent. I had another experience with a nurse Jenni that she lied. I asked if the Dr had received updated sperm analysis results and his recommendation was still IVF, she said yes. On my next meeting with Dr. Straub I asked him the same question directly based and the most resent Soren analysis results...he said he did not even have them yet.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Very efficient, good communication...open short hours though which can be difficult when calling. In general no complaints about the clinic, just DrSttaub, but will be remaining with the practice, just a different doctor
The staff was always wonderful...Dr. Straub on the other hand was very blunt which is fine but not always the best attitude when dealing with a major decision such as IVF
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub seemed like a great choice at first. He answered all my questions and explained everything thoroughly even drawing diagrams. But when it came down to it he was just to cut and dry. My husband (who had a varicocoele and subsequent surgery)...his doctor said we definitely had options as far as treatments, but Dr. Straub made it appear like IVF was the ONLY way to go. When asking if there was anything else to investigate on my end he was a bit flippant and said he could always find more tests to do. I was going to go ahead and do IVF and after try to look at treating any underlying issues, which I honestly felt he was overlooking due to the fact his goal is to get a baby and the way to do that was IVF regardless of any other issues. I ordered and received all the IVF drugs, but I couldn't go through with it because I just didn't feel comfortable with the decision and his pushiness of IVF over anything else. I should be at peace with my decision and happy to be starting to get somewhere on our fertility journey and maybe finally get our baby. Also after reading versions blogs on infertility and others experiences with egg retrieval I learned that some retrieval cycles are aborted for various reasons, which he never even mentioned as a possible outcome. He was very natter of fact about the process...not optimistic, or giving false hope....but more like this is how it goes...only that is the case when everything goes exactly according to plan.
Do not expect to get any emotional support from him.
I first met with Dr. Straub to assess if I had any issues contributing to our infertility. My husband had a varicocoele and subsequent surgery to correct it. There was originally low motility with 20% acrosomal defects. The surgery improved his numbers and his specialist (within the same practice) said the numbers were good enough for various treatment options. Dr. Straub had me complete bloodwork and a FemVue. Everything turned out normal. I am on thyroid meds and that was ok. My AMH was low normal so he suggested IVF based on some low sperm results (bad sample). Even after a new sperm analysis with good numbers...still pushing IVF, and was flippant when I asked if anything else to look at on my end (due to husbands doctor reporting an increase of 10% natural conception to now 60% now after surgery...but still no success) I wonder if there isn't some underlying issue on my end...but It seems Dr. Straubs goal is Baby, not treatment. I was supposed to start IVF (the drugs are in my fridge) but I did not feel confident or happy about the decision. I will now be transferring to another Dr. Within the practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Luckily we do have insurance coverage, which it has been suggested to me was the reason behind him pushing IVF so hard
Sandy Springs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Immunological
[RBA - Atl Main] Weaknesses: Have to pay for parking. Strengths: Everything else! Seriously, they are the best. Never had to wait long for appointments, was always able to get an appointment before work, they worked with me on a payment plan, ladies who drew blood were excellent, and my absolute favorite thing (especially after coming from ACRM) was that I got to see MY doctor after every monitoring appointment. This place is run so efficiently it's almost unbelievable...
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Shapiro spent time reviewing what we'd tried previously that hadn't worked. He listened to (and agreed to) what I wanted to try differently based on research I had done. He validated observations that other doctors dismissed. He promised not to cancel pre-retrieval as long as there was *something* to go after. He gave me the statistics but largely let me call the shots. He was concerned about making me happy, not about his clinic's statistics (and it paid off for both of us!).
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer was an excellent nurse but not very warm-and-fuzzy (which was ok as I didn't need that at that point, especially since Dr. Shapiro is sufficiently so).
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shaprio is smart, well-read/educated, compassionate, and trustworthy. He is an excellent communicator and by all appearances just a quality human being. It was SO refreshing to come to him after our nightmare of an experience at our last clinic. He made me feel hopeful and confident. Even if we hadn't been blessed with our daughter, I would have been thankful to him for the opportunity he gave us (letting me try what I wanted to try, thereby erasing all doubt about what "could have been if only...").
See him sooner rather than later!
All three of my previous pregnancies had followed the use of a Z-pak. Although research says there should be no correlation, I knew in my gut there was so he treated me with both a Z-pak and Flagyl. Also, I strongly suspected my losses were related to some undiagnosed immune issue and begged to be treated with Lovenox. He agreed there were likely immune issues that the scientific community had not yet even identified, much less produced a test for, so he treated me with Lovenox. I am now the proud mommy of a beautiful 14-month old!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was very fortunate to have insurance coverage that covered a lot. I think I paid ~$3,000 to RBA (plus some for meds that insurance didn't cover).
Sandy Springs
RBA has 3 offices. I have been to 2- the main office in Atlanta and Dr. Slayden's office in Gwinnett. The main office is very nice. The appearance is upscale and the staff is professional. This is where most of the procedures and surgeries take place. Dr. Slayden's office is older and more run-down. The nicest thing about this office is that they validate your parking...I was always able to go first thing in the morning to get my ultrasounds and blood-work done. I rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes. The ultrasound tech is efficient and knowledgeable...
Describe your experience with RBA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
My husband and I felt great about our doctor choice at the beginning- however as time went on, it became evident that nobody at the doctor's office had our best interest at heart. We have the overwhelming feeling that this is almost like an IVF factory...all treatment plans are the same- patients are just looked at as data, not individuals with individual needs and circumstances.
I was told I was assigned to a particular nurse, Tracy. She seemed knowledgeable and friendly. However, I spoke to a number of nurses throughout my phone calls and appointments at this office. My first cause of frustration was when we began our first cycle and it wasn't clear why I was taking the medication. I may be unusual- however I like to understand the purpose of medications I'm putting in my body. Common answers were, "This is what Dr. Slayden wrote on your chart." ...or... "Don't worry about that, it will be fine." Most frustrating was when I saw the warning label on my progesterone medication mention DO NOT take if you have a history of miscarriage. I called the nurse to address my concerns since I have had 3 miscarriages. She told me, "Just ignore that part...don't even look at it." I also find it frustrating that the nursing staff rarely calls with test results. I can only remember 2 times (out of probably 15) that I have gotten a call with my results. I always have to call them or wait until my next appointment so I can ask about my results. The most concerning issue is that the nurses have (more than once) miscommunicated the medications I have taken or am currently taking. For example: When I first started treatment, Dr. Slayden had me on a thyroid medicine because my number was slightly higher than average. I asked the nurse how long I needed to take the medicine and she said, "For a long time, probably until another doctor down the road tells you to stop." (I prefer my medical staff to be more specific than that.) When I started my most recent cycle, the nurse told me I needed to come in and get my thyroid checked because it had been 6 months since my last check. She then (mistakenly) corrected herself and said, "No you're actually fine since you have never had any issues or had to take medication for your thyroid." I have taken medication for my thyroid...prescribed by them. The overall feel of the nursing staff is that they just want to get me out of the office, or off of the phone. It seems like they just want me to stop asking questions and do as I am told. Unfortunately, I don't have the trust in Dr. Slayden or his nurses to stop asking questions. My gut and their history of mistakes lead me to believe I am the only one being diligent about the quality of my care. I will mention one nurse, Becky, who has been helpful and informative every time I have spoken to her.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden makes a good first impression. He is friendly and comes across very personable. I now realize, he is a good salesman. Many of the facts and numbers he gave us were confusing. He used a bunch of metaphors that really downplayed what we were going through. ("If we were playing football and I were the quarterback, here's what I would do...") This is a turning point in our family, not a football game. My husband and I consulted with Dr. Slayden after 3 consecutive unexplained miscarriages. We were looking for options. Dr. Slayden explained to us that IVF with genetic testing was our best option because he felt 99% sure that genetic abnormalities caused our miscarriages. Dr. Slayden all but guaranteed us we would find success through IVF. After running all of the tests, he compared my chances to that of an 18 year old. My husband and I were thrilled. We completed the egg retrieval, genetic testing, and embryo transfer without success. Dr. Slayden called to tell me the pregnancy test was negative and said, "I'm ready to try again." I had JUST found out our time (6 months), money ($25,000), and emotion (inexplicable) had been wasted. I was not ready. We decided to take a break to let my body and our bank account adjust from the whole ordeal. When we were ready after a few months, Dr. Slayden suggested we try a natural/non medicated cycle. We first did an endometrial biopsy (I'm not exactly sure why). Unfortunately, we tried for 2 months- but my cycles were inconsistent so we weren't able to do the transfer. Each time, Dr. Slayden suggested we move to a medicated cycle. My husband and I weren't sure why the change of treatment plan was so quick. We felt very confused about what our best option was. For 5 months after our first transfer, my cycles remained inconsistent. Most were upwards of 35 days. I spoke to Dr. Slalyden about this and he casually said, "That is common since you have PCOS." He had NEVER mentioned PCOS in any of our communications. I questioned him and his reply was, "You COULD have PCOS. It can develop over time." He then told me he thinks I should move forward with a surrogate. That was so absolutely confusing since he always seemed so confident in our chances of success through IVF on my own. His reasons for why he said that was even more confusing...I can't begin to explain it here. He scheduled me for some blood-work and the resulting diagnosis is I "may possibly" have PCOS. That diagnosis is frustrating in itself, aside from the fact I certainly thought we would have tested for something so common prior to this point in my treatment. Especially something that can be treated without IVF. My husband and I are now more confused than ever. We did all of the initial work to make as many embryos as possible and now they are 'owned' by Dr. Slayden and RBA. We feel very helpless and it seems like our only option is to move forward with another medicated cycle. There is no change in the treatment plan although our first attempt was unsuccessful. I now "may possibly" have PCOS. We aren't sure if a surrogate is a better option. We are out of money and our patience is running thin.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Research other options.
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Egg Retrieval Protocol: Birth Control with start of cycle for 25 days (regulate my cycle) Ultrasound and Blood-work Gonal F after BC for 5 days (produce eggs) Ultrasound and Blood-work Gonal F and Ganirelix for 5 more days (produce eggs and then ovulate) Ultrasounds and Blood-work every-other day Egg Retrieval Surgery (39 days after staring BC) Frozen Transfer Protocol: Lupron on Day 21 of cycle (not sure what the purpose is) Estrogen Replacement on Day 1 of next cycle (prep body for pregnancy) Begin Baby Asprin, Progesterone, and Medrol (prep body for pregnancy) Decrease Lupron, increase Estrogen Antibiotic for 5 days prior to transfer (in case of infection) Ultrasound and Blood-work (determine if lining is adequate for transfer) Embryo Transfer (approx 30 days after starting Lupron) Negative Pregnancy Test 7 days after transfer
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
$14,500 egg retrieval $3,000 medication (not paid to the doctor) $3,000 (approx) genetic testing (not paid to the doctor) $4,000 transfer cycle $1,000 medication (not paid to the doctor) $500 yearly for frozen embryos
Sandy Springs
Tracy and everyone in the Lawrenceville [at RBA] and main office were great. They always should compassion. They treated you like family...They are amazing, they will listen to you and explain the situation in hand and set a game plan that works the best. Even in the tough times they are a shoulder to cry on and the comfort you need to move forward. They are really the best in my eyes. We had seen 3 Dr's before him and none of them made me fell so comfortable the way dr slayden did. They also all liked compassion
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr sladen was the 4th dr n 3rd fertility offices. We had some horrible and heartbreaking experience before we came to him. We instantly felt like family. He properly diagnosed me when I had been missed diagnosed for 3 years. He would always make me feel special especially when things were going ruff. He would call us on holidays, after hours and even on vacation if we needed. He was wonderful
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Tracy )
Tracy and everyone in the Lawrenceville and main office were great. They always should compassion. They treated you like family
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I love dr slayden, he was not just my dr, he was my friend. He knows his stuff and is very educated and experienced. He properly diagnosed me from the beginning. If we had some bumps in the road, which we did. He always was compassionate n always had a great plan. His beside manner was wonderful
Trust him and listen to him. He knows what he is talking about and will make you feel like family
1st I had to have surgery to remove a uterine septum n endometriosis, a month later we had our 2nd Ivf , 1st with dr slayden. Had brithcontol n injection. Had a egg retrieval n 5 day transfer. This resulted in a pregnancy, I had a heterotopic pregnancy, I also had a hematoma with this pregnancy which caused premature labor and our twins being born to soon at 21 weeks. 2nd we had a hsg, which came back with issues, then I had to have surgery again to fix the septum n clean out. I then had a scarpe and our 3rd ivf, 2nd with dr slayden with injectables which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I tried injectables again but the cycle was canceled because I fromed a cyst. Dr slayden suggested we take a brake for a few months and we did. We did a another hsg, come back prefect. Did the same brithcontol n Injection protocol. Had another scrape. Had our 4th ivf and 3rd with Dr slayden it was successful n great pregnancy and resulted in us having our wonderful gifts from God our twins.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
This was always done prefect and in a timely manner
28,000 to 35,000
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
They would only transfer 2
Lawrenceville
Be prepared to take advantage of his [Dr. Toledo] time and knowledge. I had really done my research and had a list of questions. Take notes of what he tells you and just keep track of all documents. I think he's great but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the business and financial side of this process [at RBA]. That being said I'm still in the middle of it.
Dr. Toldedo was very personable and sympathetic. He has great bedside manor.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I just started the egg preservation process. My first appointment was great. Dr. Toledo really took the time to explain everything to me. I had signed up for an free education seminar on egg preservation they offer. The seminar includes free AMH testing. The staff said I couldn't do this and that I would have to pay for that lab test since I was already an established patient. They only offer this free screening for non practice patients to draw in business. I spoke to the practice manager, given that insurance pays for NONE of this and I'm paying >$13,000 for all this, you would think I could take advantage of some free screening. After going back and forth they allowed it but when I went in to the office they made me feel like I was a "problem" patient. I had a slew of other lab work done and was never called with results. I had my follow up with Dr. Toledo this week. When I sat down with him he was under the assumption I was aware of my results and the conversation was a little awkward. That being said he explained everything thoroughly and discussed all my options. I had asked for a copy of my blood work which they couldn't give me right away. Someone from medical records had to follow up with me. It's my own blood work, not sure why they couldn't just give that to me.
Be prepared to take advantage of his time and knowledge. I had really done my research and had a list of questions. Take notes of what he tells you and just keep track of all documents. I think he's great but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the business and financial side of this process. That being said I'm still in the middle of it.
$8000 deposit $ 3-5k foe hormones $labs $ office visit
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA has two offices, I think. I went to the one in Atlanta for the thing where they shoot saline into your uterus, and all my other appts were in the Kennestone Outpatient Pavilion in Marietta. I can't speak to the overall strengths or weaknesses of the clinic, in either location.
Dr. Best is a warm and caring woman. She was transparent about her own fertility struggles, which she didn't need to be. This is almost reason enough to see her for treatment, she understands this both medically AND personally. How many doctors can say that?
I don't remember anything about the nurse (Jamie? Jessica?) who drew my blood.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best was the first doctor I saw regarding infertility. I went to my initial consult alone. I felt like a deer in an open field on the first day of hunting season at that appointment. I also felt very dumb. Something is wrong, but I have no idea what and I am sitting on the other side of a desk with a woman in a white coat, who is looking at me with the most gentle eyes and kind smile, and I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. The things that we talked about and the ways Dr. Best educated me are things that I still remember, fondly. I was hellbent on freezing my husband's sperm, he has a chronic disease that is half of why we needed IVF, and she was very nicely explaining that, yes, that's fine, but we really want embryos. Embryos equal babies. She was very knowledgeable and well read on current literature/studies/research, which is very important to me.
N/A.
We only met with Dr. Best maybe three times total, and did not pursue treatment with her/RBA. We learned that the work up/diagnostic testing was covered under my husband's insurance at Emory. After further research, we also learned that the cost of a fresh IVF cycle with ICSI was dramatically less expensive at Emory. Dr. Best/RBA wanted my husband to see a urologist for his junky sperm. This would not be covered by insurance. When we discussed this at Emory, they said, (paraphrasing), "who cares, we know it's bad, let's make you a baby."
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
When we got pricing sheet for RBA, everything was listed "a la carte". It was nearly impossible to follow, a lot of it because we were still (blissfully) unaware of all the medical terms and meanings and also because it was so extensive. Because our insurance offered ZERO coverage for anything done, we got bills immediately, had to pay a lot of money up front for things, and just were not prepared. My husband was the cooler head, for sure. I was very much, "just take my money and make me a baby, I will pay anything". It was insane how much money we paid, and we hadn't even gotten to the actual baby making part yet! This is the biggest reason we did not pursue treatment with RBA.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Jenny [nurse at RBA] was proactive about communicating with me and very responsive to questions via email. I'm a big planner and need a lot of information, and Jenny was very helpful in helping me understand every step in the process even when there were still several unknowns around timing...RBA pioneered the frozen donor egg process and they know their stuff regarding this process. Work closely with the donor coordinator to find a good match for you. There are new donors posted all the time and they don't stay in the bank long, so if you find one you like, be prepared to act quickly.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RBA.
From the initial phone consult through the delivery of my child, I was always able to get a quick response to any questions or concerns that I had. There were times I expected to receive a call from the nurse only to have Dr. Shapiro call me himself!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Jenny was proactive about communicating with me and very responsive to questions via email. I'm a big planner and need a lot of information, and Jenny was very helpful in helping me understand every step in the process even when there were still several unknowns around timing.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro was very thorough in explaining the donor egg process to me and addressed all of my questions with answers that were easily understandable. He was patient, straight forward yet approachable and made me feel at ease through the entire process.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
I did a donor egg cycle with Dr. Shapiro, using Lupron to suppress my ovulation, then starting estrogen and progesterone supplementation as we approached the transfer to thicken my uterine lining. I stayed on the estrogen and progesterone through most of my first trimester. Dr. Shapiro's office worked with me to let me select the form of estrogen and progesterone I preferred and was covered by my insurance; i used estrogen patches and Crinone. I was also given Doxycycline and Medrol in the days immediately proceeding my transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I chose the 2 High Quality Embryo guarantee program, which included the donor eggs (6), fertilization via ICSI, transfer and all associated appointments. Cycle medicines were the only thing not included in the cost, i believe. The 2 HQE cost was $18K, but my insurance did end up covering some of the transfer costs, so I received a portion of that as a refund back from RBA.
2012 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
RBA is a large practice which can be daunting, but overall their physicians stay on top of the latest research in reproductive endocrinology & embryology. Their embryology program (where your eggs/sperm/embryos will be taken care for IVF cycles) is outstanding.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with RBA.
Poor response from office to staff to questions about treatments/procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Womble)
Tracey was typically unorganized, unable to answer questions, poor about responding to questions in general, and ultimately totally uncompassionate.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden is a technically proficient physician. And he can be charming to most patients. However, the charm (his primary bedside manner) masks a lack of personal interest in helping patients understand treatment decisions. He seemed happy to continue unrealistic treatments for us (IUI) either because it would bring more revenue or because he knew we would eventually need to do IVF. The problem with this was that for every year and dollar wasted our chances of a pregnancy with even IVF would have been more difficult. Be prepared to ask him hard questions to make your treatment something worth your time and energy.
Educate yourself before any visits/treatments, ask him hard questions every time, demand clear answers about chances of success, and make sure you understand the window of time you have to be most successful with your goal to have a family. Do not rely on him to be in the driver seat for you to get the best care.
Femara for IUI, Femara with injectables for IUI, Antagonist protocol for IVF
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Transportation, Medication, Lost wages, Cash pay for consultation by phone or in person, Treatment
2009 - 2015
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
RBA is an amazing clinic. They are great at responding to questions and getting things moving once you're ready to start a cycle. I received the best care from all the staff there. I've since moved away from the Atlanta area but I will travel back there when we are ready to conceive again.... The nursing staff that works with Dr. Straub is amazing! They even took time to call me a few weeks after my ruptured ectopic pregnancy just to check on me and see if I was doing okay.
2009 - 2015
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr Straub has amazing bedside manner. I always felt as if I were his number 1 priority when I was seeing him. He never treated me like I was just a number or just a paycheck, he really cared about me and about the outcome of our treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Shelly, then Amy)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
I have a long history with Dr. Straub and from the very beginning I have had an amazing experience with him. He takes time to really make sure you understand everything he is going over. He has a habit of drawing pictures to help demonstrate exactly what he is talking about. When I experienced a ruptured ectopic pregnancy he gave me his personal cell phone number and fought with the ER staff on my behalf to make sure I had the best possible care and in order to have me transferred to a hospital that he worked with. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Straub.
Bring your questions. He has no trouble answering them, no matter how crazy they might be. He actually asked me one time what other crazy wives tales are going around in the infertility community.
I do not remember all the specifics in protocol.
As a young, otherwise healthy woman, Dr. Straub was conservative with the amount of embryos he wanted to transfer. He always suggested one but allowed my husband and I to make the final decision on whether or not we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. Both of my kids were conceived from a single embryo transfer.
PCOS, Unexplained
They [the staff at RBA] are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
European, Other
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
The office does have pay to park at their facility in Sandy Springs (the one we went to). There is sometimes a bit of a wait for your nurse and doctor, but not long. They are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
Dr. Slayden and his staff always treated us as a family member would do. We always felt more than just a case. He always was fair and straightforward without being mean or painful. He treated us for our infertility, one time ending with tubal pregnancy (which he himself performed the operation to remove the tube - in fact he insisted upon it!), and the other two pregnancies ended with two sets of twins. He rejoiced greatly with us when we were able to get pregnant, and often told us of other cases that gave him great hope from his past. His staff, especially Nancy, were caring with all of our questions, and were certain to get back to us as soon as they could about any questions that we had. They never blew us off even with the silliest of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was the best. She always was compassionate, but also stern to make sure we were following our care plan. She wanted us to have the best chance of success. She also made sure that we were coordinated with the pharmacy, as well as the business office.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden was very straightforward about the expectations and realities of our particular infertility. He made sure to tell us the risks that were inherent with our treatment, but was also optimistic about our chances of pregnancy. We almost always saw Dr. Slayden for appointments, and during transfers, he was present and was in complete control of the room. He also made sure to state his success rates versus the national average. Also, he made us feel at ease with him from the first visit.
Be open and honest with Dr. Slayden. He can see through hesitancy or lies.
We used clomid at first to see if we could get pregnant that way. This ended up not being successful in getting pregnant. We ended up doing a full egg retrieval using various drugs that were very successful (38 eggs retrieved). We ended up using progesterone shots for four weeks before transfer, then for the next six weeks after implant twice per day. We also used a steroid shot before implant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
We had costs for various procedures. Per our insurance, they covered everything UNTIL we had the prognosis of infertility. This was not a problem with the clinic, but rather our insurance. Dr. Slayden put off a full diagnosis until the last possible moment to allow insurance to pay for a great deal of our treatment. We had costs for the operating room for embryo retrieval, as well as for our embryologist. This was covered in a 'down payment', which was used up by the time we were finished. Costs for freezing was very low per year, and the second cycle was much cheaper than the first. There were no additional costs outside of treatment for the second cycle.
2004 - 2011
Front desk [at RBA] isn't fabulous and you may have to wait for an initial appt. it's dr Toledo that's amazing, the clinic is good...[Nurse] She knew what the situation was most of the time and if not would check with doc and get back to me. Most of the time I spoke with the doc though which was awesome!...It's important to him that patients are taken care of and feel like people not sheep. He has the best bedside manner of any doc I've ever met even beyond the fertility realm.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Front desk isn't fabulous and you may have to wait for an initial appt. it's dr Toledo that's amazing, the clinic is good.
He really cares about his patients and gives personal attention even when out of town. Very thorough and never in a big hurry when talking.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
It's important to him that patients are taken care of and feel like people not sheep. He has the best bedside manner of any doc I've ever met even beyond the fertility realm. He is available for phone calls and seeks out information if it's not available. He shares his thought process with his patients. I went through 5 IUI cycles,a fresh in vitro ICSI transfer, frozen cycle and pregnancy. I now have 3 boys ages 13,11, and 7. Two natural pregnancies after the first which was successful after an in vitro frozen cycle. My uterine lining wasn't absorbing progesterone at the same rate across the uterus and he figured that out and tested the problem. I had my first at almost 36 and my last at 42.
He is amazing!!!
What worked me in the end was his absolute dedication to the specific lab results from checking my progesterone levels even while out of town. He discovered in the end that not all of my cells were absorbing the progesterone at the same rate and therefore my uterine lining was inconsistent. He came up with this while out of town on vacation!!!! He himself called to check my levels.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
My insurance covered lab work and ultrasounds and some visits to doc, not the procedures themselves. It was 13 years ago so IVF was about 10,000 per cycle.
Don't recall. I transferred 2 first cycle with no success and then 4 on a frozen cycle and had a singleton pregnancy with no complications.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
RBA was good - all of the nurses and staff were professional, competent, friendly, warm and compassionate. I only had a problem with one ultrasound technician, who was pulling out pictures of her kids to show us, and allowed a drug rep to walk in on me while I was changing for an ultrasound, Hopefully she is not there anymore...She [nurse at RBA] was wonderful, but unfortunately during my IVF cycle she did not get back to me in a timely manner to let me know my progesterone level was too low. It turned out her husband had committed suicide.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Hasty at RBA?
Lisa was wonderful with me. She was warm and empathetic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
She was wonderful, but unfortunately during my IVF cycle she did not get back to me in a timely manner to let me know my progesterone level was too low. It turned out her husband had committed suicide.
What specific things went wrong at RBA?
How was your experience with Lisa Hasty at RBA?
I highly recommend Lisa Hasty. She was personable, communicative, professional and honest. Lisa was caring, warm, empathetic and I had complete confidence in her word and her medical abilities. She was committed to me, and did not push treatments on me, understanding all I had been through she recommended considering adoption rather than pursuing further treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Hasty at RBA?
Trust in her.
Describe the protocols Lisa Hasty used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We did the usual clomid, then IUI, then IVF. I had a history of ectopic pregnancies so when I had a positive pregnancy test she would follow my hormone levels very closely, and if the pregnancy was ectopic she would send me asap for a methotrexate (?) injection to end the pregnancy. I hyperstimulated on my IVF cycle and had to have albumen. I developed a cyst at one of the injection sites so she immediately switched the drug delivery medium. Had ICSI to increase number of embryos produced.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Hasty at RBA.
It was a long time ago, so don't completely remember, and we were fortunate to have primary and secondary insurers paying for some aspects of treatment.
Lisa Hasty
Sandy Springs
I mainly went to the Lawrenceville and Sandy Spring locations [of RBA]. I went to the Marietta office once (Dr. Best's main location). My experiences at Sandy Springs have been mostly well save for some issues with the billing here, they informed me I was not covered for something when I clearly was which was a huge frustration. After calling my insurance company they reached out to the billing at the office and cleared this up.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I mainly went to the Lawrenceville and Sandy Spring locations. I went to the Marietta office once (Dr. Best's main location). My experiences at Sandy Springs have been mostly well save for some issues with the billing here, they informed me I was not covered for something when I clearly was which was a huge frustration. After calling my insurance company they reached out to the billing at the office and cleared this up. My only issue with the one appointment I had at the Marietta office is they were a little late returning from lunch, my appt was right at the time they are to return from lunch and I waited in the hall for about 15mins.
Dr. Best has the best bedside manner of doctors I have seen on my fertility journey. She is direct and gives you realistic expectations while being able to relay the information in a manner delicate enough for the issue at hand. For this alone I am grateful for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
The nursing staff was very quick to respond to any questions or concerns I had and they were also sensitive to my situation.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I came in as a PCOS patient not knowing if I would ever be able to conceive and came from a clinic where I felt as if I my opinion did not count. Dr. Best was very easy to communicate with and listened from the consult moving forward. During our first cycle she made very clear to us the risks and possibilities that could arise which made us feel both hopeful and allowed us to keep realistic goals in mind. We did manage to get a BFP on our first letrozole/trigger shot/IUI cycle, unfortunately this ending in early miscarriage. This has no bearing on Dr. Best, it was just nature doing what it had to do. But just knowing we got our BFP first try, let's us know she has us in the right direction. Thank you Dr. Best.
The wait time for an initial consult may take longer than you like, but with a bit of patience I promise it is worth the wait. She is very patient, kind and sensitive to your situation and you will not regret your decision to be treated by her.
I had originally done an HSG with a previous provider, so Dr. Best wanted to do an SHG just to make sure all was well with my uterus itself and we also cofirmed my AMH levels. After clearing the HSG AND SHG she decided to treat me with a combination of dexamethasone, Letrozole days 5-9, trigger shot and baby aspirin. I came in for 2 ultrasounds about a week after my last letrozole pill to confirm follicle size. We did IUI 36 hrs after trigger shot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
My insurance covered most of my expenses. Without insurance I believe a letrozole/IUI is aprox 1000.00 per cycle.
Sandy Springs
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment [at RBA]. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by...IUI was $1,500; IVF with PGS was $13,830; unlimited FETs (until we bring home a baby) was $6,500...Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable. They get you in and out of the office quickly so you don't have to wait and miss too much time at work...In preparation for the frozen transfer I was prescribed Progesterone in Oil (sesame). I administered the shot the first evening and was up all night with a high fever. I called the office the next morning and the nurse I spoke to stated it couldn't be caused by the medication and I was just sick. Take Tylenol and go to my PCP if I don't feel better by the end of the day. I wasn't happy with that response so I emailed my nurse directly and asked if I could switch to crinone. She emailed back after discussing with Dr. Straub and agreed to call in the new rx. However, they both agreed that the fever wasn't caused by the medication and I still needed to take one more dose to piggy back the new medication that evening. Again that evening I had a fever again, I took Tylenol and was fine. The next 2 evenings I only used the crinone (using it 2x a day) and have not had a fever since.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by.
I feel like Dr. Straub took the time and our emails were always responded to in a timely manner. However due to scheduling and the size of RBA Dr. Straub has yet to complete one of our procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerajewski)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time.
Expect the appointment to be more of a no nonsense business discussion. His bedside manner in not all warm and touchy.
We did one round of IUI with Clomid at 50mg. We had a low response to this and learned of MFI. We switched to IVF and I took Gonal-F 150 and Ganirelix. We had 27 eggs retrieved, 26 were mature, 22 fertilized (ICSI and conventional), 15 embryos made it to 5 day blast. We froze all to prevent OHSS. We decided then to do PGS testing and had 6 normal embryos make it out of that. I just went in (today) for my first frozen transfer and now am waiting for the results.
Sandy Springs
Our clinic was Reproductive Biology Associates. My husband's doctor was Dr. Michael Witt while I saw Dr. Monica Best. The two offices appeared to function as satellite offices. The only weakness I saw regarding the clinic was the communication between offices could have been better in regards to doctor's notes, medical files and procedure plans...The nursing staff for Dr. Best were able to assist when needed. The satellite offices appeared to not communicate as well with one another.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Best took the time to attack the plan at need. However, my husband and I both felt that a lot of information was given at once with little take home information.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best is a warm and welcoming doctor. She is very insightful and wants to go over her action plan in detail. Once she has her plan she is on a mission. My low ovarian reserve count and my husband's klinefelter syndrome didn't stop her as it would most doctors I believe.
Do your research and know your options. Dr. Best will let you know but it is better to go in there with the knowledge already so you aren't lost when she is talking terms and procedures.
Dr. Best wants to do two cycles of Egg retrievals then for my husband to have a sperm extraction procedure. After this, we will then fertilize then send off for genetic testing.
Estimated total costs: $52,000
Dr. Best does have a strong preference to only selecting one embryo to transfer compared to multiple. We have expressed wanting to place two embryos in our first trial and she expressed that it does not raise our chances of pregnancy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
They [RBA nurses] respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed...Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment...My LH surges happen at night, and the nurse told me to just not test after 3:00 pm because the office would be closed when I find out that I was surging. Seemed like a weird thing when you can call in the am to get in for the IUI...I have RPL with a second trimester loss, so I was prescribed lovenox for possible clotting disorders for which there are no tests, crinone, metformin for PCOS, thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, baby aspirin, folate for MTHFR, and prednisone. He performed two hysteroscopies in which he found a septum and polyps following use of estrogen after the removal of the septum. He thought the septum might have been the reason for our 2nd trimester loss. I also did two rounds with Femara IUIs that were unsuccessful. He then recommended IVF with PGS as I have not been able to get pregnant in the last 15 months despite treatment.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
For an IVF with PGS cycle, the cost is between $30,000.00 to $33,000.00. That seems really high in comparison to some other clinics.
They respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is very kind and does not make you feel like a number. He was also open to trying new things and did not dismiss my ideas. I liked that I always saw him and felt like I had continuity of care. My only gripe would be that he would quote prices for treatment that were half of the actual cost.
Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
For IUI it was around $550.00 for the actual insemination, but you needed at least two ultrasounds that were around $245.00 a piece. If you trigger, they require 2 back to back inseminations.
He recommends a single embryo transfer for my age and the first cycle.
Sandy Springs
RBA is highly organized and well-run IVF clinic. The staff is super friendly and they know you on a first name basis...Treatment cost (procedure plus medicine) cost for a total of around $25,000...Karen and Amy were extremely polite and effective in communicating and responding to any questions I had...Dr. Straub showed a great deal of compassion and expertise as we were undergoing the IVF treatment. He is extremely efficient and specific when it comes to explanations and reasons for the process and methods we used to get pregnant. He displayed wonderful planning skills and went through a timeline of the treatment.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Excellent communication when it came to the treatment and process that I and my husband had to undergo. All the steps were explained in the detail and the response time on our questions was prompt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Karen and Amy)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is trustworthy and an expert in his field. He gave us confidence that we needed throughout the IVF treatment.
It was a high-risk pregnancy due to my age and my husband's chromosome displacement. I had hysteroscopy (due to previous miscarriages), endometrial scratching (to stimulate uterus for IVF transfer), took synthroid to control my thyroid, and we used injections (progesterone, estrogen, etc) to prepare my body for pregnancy and beyond.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Treatment cost (procedure plus medicine) cost for a total of around $25,000.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
RBA is very organized. They care for there patients with compassion and kindness. Great communication. They have created a frozen donor egg bank, called MyEggBank North America and an embryo donation program. They offer financing.... My nurse Jennifer was the best! She was always there to answer any question I had. She was very organized. And caring... He [Dr. Slayden] was very caring. He took his time to listen. He explained everything very thoroughly
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with RBA.
He was very caring. He took his time to listen. He explained everything very thoroughly
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Compassionate, caring, great listener. Intelligent and the first doctor that was able to diagnose my condition. His knowledge and his experience gave us our family that we desired for. I had the best experience in such a short time with him & his staff
Trust him!
I started BC pills on day 2 of my period for 3 weeks. 2 Weeks after I started the pills, I started Lupron. I took 10 units of lupron daily for about 10 days then decreased to 5 units up until 6 days before my transfer. At the same time I started Estrace. (2mg tab) 1/2 tab 2x daily for 5 days. I also started 81mg of baby aspirin. After those 5 days I increased the Estrace to 1 tab 2x daily then increased again 4days later to 1 tab 3x daily. 5 days before my transfer I added in PIO 1x day Doxycycline 2x day & Medrol 1x day. From transfer day on I continued Estrace & PIO. I don’t remember when I stopped the Estrace. The PIO I stopped taking at 12 weeks pregnant. I delivered a healthy baby girl!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
My insurance covered most of it.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Daniel Shapiro] was very straightforward and personal with my care. Gave me the facts and I respect that the most...Very straightforward and friendly. Read my history prior to visit and open to answering all my questions and concerns. Very sympathic when delivering bad news...Due to my age (38yrs) my eggs were considered old. The protocol was simple. Create eggs and inseminate them. We waited until day 5 to tranfer. 1st transfer we did 2. 1 became live birth other miscarriage at 9wks. 2nd and 3rd were frozen tranfers. 1 did not take. The other became chemical pregnancy. If I was to start a fresh cycle again at 40yr I was told he would put 4 eggs in. However my chances were so low due to age he would be surprised if any took. I am blessed to have been able to have 1. For me it became to emotional and expensive to try a fresh cycle again.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
They we great. Always on time. Ultrasound nurse also amazing. Very open about what they were looking for or at. Clinical nurse very responsive to emails and training on medication
He was very straightforward and personal with my care. Gave me the facts and I respect that the most
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Very straightforward and friendly. Read my history prior to visit and open to answering all my questions and concerns. Very sympathic when delivering bad news. The end I have no more say and am writing to make 200 words as required
He is very straightforward even if you don't like what he has to say
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Insurance covered some. I paid out of pocket Aprox. $800.00 for medicine. I paid 5000.00 for each tranfer. And office visits they had a deposit for. I don't remember price. With out insurance coverage I believe it would be apox 15,000-20,000
Sandy Springs
RBA is a bit bigger office, therefore they are busier. Everyone was very nice, but there were still longer waits and more systematic testing. You usually see whichever dr. is on call or a nurse...VF is very expensive, but RBA does offer a military discount. 25% off for veterans and 50% off for active duty.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Big and busy, but very nice. Nice facility and nice people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Karen Feagin)
Easy to communicate with, respond quickly and are very willing to work with you.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub might be lacking a little in the bedside manner, but he is very straightforward and I can appreciate that. My husband, however, didn't like it very much. He could seem callous at times, but things get very emotional and you have to tone it down a little to get on with things. He is extremely intelligent and an excellent dr.
Dr. Straub is very smart and knows what he is doing. He may come off a little sharp, but he means well.
Egg retrieval used follistem, due to a big response, we froze the eggs/embryos for a frozen transfer. First frozen embryo transfer went great, positive test. Low BHcg, however. Saw/heard heartbeat at 6 weeks, 2 weeks later, no more heartbeat. D & C was done at 8 weeks. Did blood test to see if there was a clotting disorder with me and came back heterozygous factor V Leiden gene. Second transfer went great, again and added anticoagulant injections (heparin). First BHcg was a higher positive, 2nd Bhcg went down. Chemical pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
IVF is very expensive, but RBA does offer a military discount. 25% off for veterans and 50% off for active duty.
2013 - 2015
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
It is impossible to get questions answered in a timely manner... Every time I call it seems like I am putting the staff out, and I am not a high maintenance patient. I felt like I would get lost in the shuffle sometimes.
2013 - 2015
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
I do feel the office knows my name - i have been there nearly every month for 2 years, so I whop they do! - but getting questions answered can be extremely frustrating. Nurses only make return calls after the office closes at 3. If you miss their call, you have to wait until the following day. I feel like my questions are often dismissed and quickly answered away. It feels as if they expect patients to be the expert.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Wolcombe)
It is impossible to get questions answered in a timely manner. If I make a call at 8am, I won't hear back until 3 pm - if I hear back at all. Every time I call it seems like I am putting the staff out, and I am not a high maintenance patient. I felt like I would get lost in the shuffle sometimes. For example, on my second egg transfer, I asked for the womb scratching like I had with my first transfer. They realized they forgot to set it up in time, so they told me it doesn't really make a difference anyways.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden has an easy, optimistic, and relaxed personality. This can be wonderful in the early stages when you want reassurance about the steps ahead. It was nice to have someone so positive that he would be able to help me carry a baby to term. However, after 4 miscarriages with him as my doctor, I wanted more realism and answers.
Be prepared for poor communication with the office staff. If you are a type A personality, this office may not be for you. Everyone seems so relaxed and confident which is great until the protocols don't work.
Lawrenceville
The wait time can be long [at RBA] so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason...Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI...She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring
European, Black or African-American, Native American
Describe your experience with RBA.
The wait time can be long so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason.
She listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle, the outcome of the cycle and agreed on what we needed to do to prepared. She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring. I really like her.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop and made sure we took strived to my PCOD under control first. I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
Make a list of concerns you have. Make sure she has any records that pertain to your fertility weeks before your appointment and if possible have your ob/gyn do a preliminary workout so you can ask questions.
Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI.
My insurance covered everything
IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Care was specialized and custom to my past fertility issues. Testing and treatment was thorough, explained and I was made to feel comfortable with the fact that there were things beyond my control however my doctor assured me that I can achieve a pregnancy with help...My nurse and care coordinator were incredibly compassionate, great listeners, very good communicators and always calm and caring.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is professional, has a warm environment yet definitely is very high quality. Exactly what I expected for the money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Ellsworth)
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Dr. Mitchell-Leef was direct, candid and honest. I appreciated her complete candor and the ability to tell me exactly what was going on without making me feel like a failure. She was able to show empathy and presented a well structured plan to help me achieve my goal. I felt very much like part of a team that was willing to work hard for the best outcome attainable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Stay the course, ask questions if you are uncertain and rely on the experts. From the nurses to the doctors, believe in them and trust them and you will succeed.
Describe the protocols Dorothy Mitchell-Leef used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I used donor eggs given my age and history so the preparation is standard with the hormone and steroid injections. My first implantation failed so my dr. and her team met to discuss the outcome and she changed the protocol to add a uterine scratch test. There was a marginal change in the injection protocol, but after the scratch test and the second implantation I had a positive HCG
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA.
Describe Dorothy Mitchell-Leef's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Very strong approach to single implantation. We were happy with that decision.
Dorothy Mitchell-Leef
3 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
RBA is a well-run machine. I felt comfortable with the clinic as a whole. They were not on the cutting edge of protocols though...The nurses were great and responsive.
Investment Banker
3 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a well-run machine. I felt comfortable with the clinic as a whole. They were not on the cutting edge of protocols though, as you see with a clinic like CCRM. In Atlanta though, I feel like they are the best option.
The nurses were great and responsive.
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Dr. Mitchell-Leef is an excellent doctor. I trusted her opinions and judgment even though we did not have a positive outcome. I was mostly disappointed with the way our transfer went, which was done by a different, on-call doctor.
Make sure there is a specific plan for your transfers/retrievals if she is not the one doing them. Also, if she runs out of options, as she did with me given my lining was so thin - seek a second opinion. I went to CCRM after she said she didn't know what else to do. I even went back to her and told her they recommended we try viagra to improve my lining. RBA was not open to that protocol so I continued with CCRM out of state. I got pregnant on my first attempt with them and now have a healthy, 9 month old daughter, and two genetically tested embryos frozen for future transfers.
My protocol was pretty standard the first time. The second time, after my lining became very thin, they just tried progesterone to thicken it but we had little success.
Not sure - we had insurance coverage so most costs were covered, luckily.
Dorothy Mitchell-Leef
2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis
Though huge, RBA felt like a personal experience. They had just moved to their new office and my care overlapped both buildings. I was worried that the move would affect my outcome but I worried needlessly. The only complaint...the business office doesn't understand the clinical charges very well. Lots of confusion there.
2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with RBA.
He explained EVERYTHING and took all the time we needed
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Rossi)
Rossi was very kind and patient. I was pretty demanding and she took her time with me.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He's very friendly and knowledgeable. He takes plenty of time and put my partner at ease too. Sometimes, even as an MD I didn't understand everything he was saying but my questions and confusion were quickly straightened out by him or his staff
He often runs late so don't be in a rush when you come. Expect to be in the office 2 or more hours for a first visit, especially if you have a complicated history
My husband and I want at least three kids so IVF with CGH on our embryos made a lot of sense. I was predicted to be a high responder ( and I was) so we had plenty of embryos to work with. We could have done shots and IUI but the multiple birth risk was too high and we knew I might need an agonist trigger to avoid OHSS. I did agonist trigger, freeze all and had 5 normals from my group of 10 blasts out of of 18 embryos. Everything went exactly the way he thought too.
We spent about 20,000
2011
They [RBA] seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!... there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling.
2011
Describe your experience with RBA.
I honestly don't remember much about the clinic. They seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!
Mostly we liked Dr. Brahma. However, during the first IUI I remember starting to cry and she seemed genuinely surprised and not sure how to deal with me (which truly surprised me - can't imagine I was the first woman to respond that way!)
I don't remember a lot of the nursing staff. However, there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling. She never made me feel silly for asking a question or being nervous or responding to anything in a certain way. She was the best part of the experience!
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Please see earlier note about the IUI procedure and her response. Mostly we liked her, but I was disappointed with the way she responded during the procedure. It seemed like she should have known how to handle a hormonal woman crying during an unpleasant procedure when she's trying to have a baby.
Try her out. See if you like her style.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [RBA Sandy Springs] is run very well. Initially, it was difficult to get an appointment set up but after I met with Dr. Toledo the turn around time has been much better. I think communication is good- however, I would personally like reminder phone calls before appointments.... From the first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very personable and took the time to get to know me and my medical history. He welcomes any questions I have and is very thorough in his explanations.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is run very well. Initially, it was difficult to get an appointment set up but after I met with Dr. Toledo the turn around time has been much better. I think communication is good- however, I would personally like reminder phone calls before appointments.
From the first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very personable and took the time to get to know me and my medical history. He welcomes any questions I have and is very thorough in his explanations. He is always warm and friendly every time he greets me - even if our meetings are short, they never feel rushed.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
The first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very straight to the point. He told me my left fallopian tube was blocked and needed to be surgically removed. He explained why this was the best option and also let me know that there was a small possibility he could need to remove the right tube as well. He understood that I did not want this to happen but agreed he could remove it if he thought it was best. Fortunately, during surgery he only needed to remove my left tube. I am currently using fertility drugs to help me ovulate and he has been aggressive about how long he wants to try this route.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Sometimes the nurses [RBA] are very responsive and sometimes I felt like I had to be on top of things myself....Strengths - friendly staff, ease of check out and it feels like people really cared, people seemed happy to be working there Weaknesses - sometimes have to continuously follow up on keeping things moving, asking about the next steps... There was a mix up regarding our lab values... I was told my AMH level result was 0.4 by the nurse calling with results. When I got the actual results from the lavatory, it was 0.8 so I was reported an incorrect value....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with RBA.
He emphasized with us, called us by name and reassured us that we were listened to and our wishes would be followed if possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Aryelle)
Sometimes the nurses are very responsive and sometimes I felt like I had to be on top of things myself.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I have only met Dr. Toledo once for my initial consultation. He was friendly, open, and upfront. He wasn't in a rush and answered our questions throughly. There was a mix up regarding our lab values which gave me some hesitation, but I also understand the sheer volume of patients he sees, so I believe it was an unintentional error.
Don't hesitate to set up an appointment, it can be difficult to get in to see him initially due to how popular he is.
We have not started an actual IVF cycle. We started so far with a baseline ultrasound, a HSG, and he placed me on birth control pills before we start the egg retrival process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I have not paid for IVF services yet.
No experiences yet
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, IVF
[The staff at RBA was] Impersonal, not compassionate, rude, and not timely. There were 2 nurses I recall who were nice and friendly. The other nurses should not be employed at all. I don't recall their names but some had attitudes if you asked more that 2 questions...There was no methodical plan [with Dr. Toledo]...He did not perform necessary standard protocols for IVF. We were moved very quickly through the process and without much rationalization on the next steps...I would highly not recommend this doctor.
2 IUI, 2 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I would highly not recommend this doctor. We wasted time and a lot of money and he did not catch something that was highly influential to our success rate. It is beyond me why a very standard test was not performed by him so that he could identify a major problem. Instead, he did a transfer that failed and had no plan for next steps. He did not perform a very standard test that would of helped to increase our chances of pregnancy and a full term live birth by 100%. We are very disappointed with his lack of care.
get a second opinion
There was no methodical plan. My second doctor could not make sense of his protocol.
IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[RBA's] Strenghts-Everythng is at the office (surgery center, labs, egg bank, etc). This plave really does have everything you need if you are on this journey which is one of the reasons I picked it. We don't have to go elsewhere for any testing or procedures everything is right there. Weaknesses-It is so busy all the time and now the Dr on call does your transfer and retrieval no matter who your primary Dr is.
IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RBA.
I feel that Dr. Toledo is invested in our success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista )
Dr. Toledo's team is really great and they are on top of it. Anytime I contact Krista for anything she is responsive and gets me the answers I'm looking for.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
We have been through quite a journey and Dr. Toledo has been there with us through it. He has a good bedside manner and I feel like he's invested in our success and wants to help us make our dream a reality. When one protocol doesn't work he tries to figure out something else for the best results.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. This is your journey, your time and your money. If you don't understand something don't be afraid to speak up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
$14,500 (inclusig medications and ICSI)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Toledo has great bedside manner. He takes into consideration your beliefs and values and wants to determine the best course of treatment for you. He's very thorough and thoughtful. He's always willing to explain things more if necessary and makes you comfortable at all times...Krista is very blunt in her approach. She was also unaware of our beliefs and told me that our last embryos were discarded like trash when they didn't survive. If I had to do it again I'd request a different nurse, but she's Dr. Toledos nurse.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Toledo has great bedside manner and takes time to answer any questions or concerns about all procedures.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Trust his judgement. He's been doing this for 30 years. He knows what he's doing.
Daily double dosage of menopur, gonal f for 10 days for IVF. Femara for 5 days for IUIs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
My husband handles the bills. I'm unaware of the cost.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Brahma [at RBA] was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic has several locations which makes it easier for appointments. I cannot think of any weaknesses.
She was honest and courteous with all of our questions and concerns.
My experience with the nurses was always a good one. I had little contact with the nurses as Dr. Brahma was extremely involved in my care and she was present during every visit.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
I would advise a prospective patient to be completely open with Dr. Brahma. Also, to ask any questions that you may have.
In the beginning, we discovered that my egg reserve was low. As a result, we looked into using an egg donor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We have the basic costs for our care: office visit copays, procedure costs and deductibles.
Piedmont
They [RBA - Atl Pied] were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over....[nursing staff] They kept us well informed and communicated via telephone and email, which was very helpful...he nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over.
The nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen. I still have his drawings for his explanations of our treatments. Amazing!
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub explained things well and let us know of the risks involved with the treatments. He was always positive and told us that if this specific treatment didn’t work, we would adjust and take the next step. Lucky for us, Clomid worked on the 1st cycle after some initial testing!
Do not hesitate. Schedule an appointment now to be referred!
Low dosage of Clomid with an injection- can’t recall the exact name of the injection
$60 copay per visit
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Julie [an RBA nurse] was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her! Dr. Best is a deeply compassionate and skilled physician. She was familiar with my treatment history before our first visit and had immediate recommendations to improve the chances of a successful pregnancy for our next cycle. I work in healthcare, she is by far one of the best physicians I have worked with and she made me want to do a better job with my own patients.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
I saw Dr. Best after an extremely negative experience with a previous provider. She was thorough, compassionate, & extremely positive. Transferring my care to her allowed me to heal and look forward to my next cycle with hope. She is an amazing physician and all around incredibly decent human being.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Julie was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her!
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Trust her. She is spectacular. If you have questions Dr. Best or her staff will make sure you are taken care of -ask them anything.
Lupron down regulation before frozen embryo transfer, Progesterone in oil supplementation during luteal phase versus vaginal progesterone. Successful pregnancy was the result.
Travel, Medications, Cycle fee
2 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
2 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
His nurses were very nice and always answered emails and calls throughout the process. However, when delivering the news of the negative pregnancy test, it was very matter of fact. This is such a sensitive matter I felt a little more compassion could have been present along with next steps. I was told to call back to set another appt to go over everything after he met with the embryologist about my failed cycle. I wish I would have known more about why they chose at the time to put in only 1 embryo instead or 2, and what the grades of all 3 of my embryos are. I still don't know this, but do know they were good enough to be frozen.
They were quick to respond to all of my questions via email or phone and quick with updates.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is very direct and lacks a warm bedside manner. He even used the words "lousy" to describe my husbands semen sample at one time. While he is smart and knowledgeable, I often feel rushed when asking questions. My IUI and IVF attempts have been unsuccessful so far.
Be prepared to not have things sugar-coated.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
I know they [RBA] are busy. I wish I could have been seen sooner, but they have full schedules. Once I was "in" I appreciated not having to wait for appointments. The entire staff is kind. They are really great about explaining the back end (insurance etc)...The NP that I met with for pre-op and that did my HSG test was the perfect complement to Dr. Shapiro.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I know they are busy. I wish I could have been seen sooner, but they have full schedules. Once I was "in" I appreciated not having to wait for appointments. The entire staff is kind. They are really great about explaining the back end (insurance etc)
He is very analytical. At first I worried we were going to be a number, but he looked at my file and asked a few questions. Once he had a handle on what he was dealing with we felt connected to him.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
His style of loading us with lots of stats, facts and info is our style. My husband probably could have engaged him in conversation all day long. Dr Shapiro does take a minute to warm up, but once we clicked we felt like we really connected.
Listen to him. He is honest. He has a brilliant mind and he is an expert in his field. His confidence may come off as ego, but everything he told proved correct.
I had laparoscopy where a Fallopian tube was removed due to endometriosis. No additional treatment was needed.
We did discuss IVF and because of our religious beliefs he advised he would only do single embryo transfer if we went that route. He said it was the responsible/safe choice.
2012 - 2014
All of the nurses [at RBA] were wonderful!...It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly....Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible...I always felt like I was his [Dr. Toledo's] most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
2012 - 2014
Describe your experience with RBA.
It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly. When I did my IUIs with another doctor in the practice I didn't always get to see her which was a negative for me. Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible. When I was first at the practice I don't believe there were any support groups available which would have been helpful. I do believe that may have changed since then. I think support groups for different issues would be a great thing for them to offer their patients. ...........................
Dr. Toledo was so warm, patient, caring & understanding. He always spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
All of the nurses were wonderful! I was sad to leave them once I was passed 12 weeks.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I always felt like I was his most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
You probably won't get in to see him as quickly as you might like, but I promise he is worth waiting to see.
I do not remember.
I don't remember
We first did a single embryo transfer at Dr. Toledo's recommendation. It didn't result in a pregnancy. The next time we transferred two at his recommendation which resulted in one baby. For our second child he recommended two again but we chose do transfer just one as we were not in a hurry and did not want multiples and that resulted in one baby.
2013
4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I had a great experience at RBA - I actually have nothing bad to say...Cheley was responsive, pleasant and on top of things, and always got back to me quickly via email or phone when needed. The other nurses I dealt with were exactly the same...If you live out of town, it is possible to do it all remotely if you have been through the IVF/embryo transfer process elsewhere...
2013
4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RBA.
I had a great experience at RBA - I actually have nothing bad to say.
At the point where I started working with him, I had been through 4 IVFs elsewhere, so I was well-versed on what the deal was. I was able to have intelligent conversations with him and left feeling informed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Cheley)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
I live in NYC and used donor eggs at RBA. I actually dealt exclusively with Dr. Straub over the telephone and traveled to Atlanta for embryo transfers. Each time we spoke, I found him intelligent and compassionate and felt I had time devoted to me to have any questions answered.
I was pleased that Dr. Straub didn't mind when I requested not to have to go on birth control pills prior to the transfer protocol. He also suggested an alternative to progesterone injections (Crinone) that my other doctor wouldn't let me do. He was flexible after hearing what I liked and did not like about my other experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
everything was paid for upfront.
Since I used donor eggs, I felt that my success was different than if I was using my own 41-42 year old eggs and since I did not want twins, I was all for the single embryo transfer.
4 IUI, Donor Eggs
The clinic [RBA - Cumming] is very organized which is a great quality and that helps make this less stressful for the patient. I liked how they give you a folder and tell you what you and your spouse must do to move on to treatment. They answer your emails promptly.... They were very caring and explained all testing and treatments and gave us a checklist that needed to be completed before moving on to IVF.... Our estimate is around $25,000-$30,000
4 IUI, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very organized which is a great quality and that helps make this less stressful for the patient. I liked how they give you a folder and tell you what you and your spouse must do to move on to treatment. They answer your emails promptly.
He seemed to care about our struggles and answered all questions honestly and he is very direct.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Cunningham)
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He was very direct and explained every option and the rates at which each option would work. He gave us 3 different options and told us which one would work best if we wanted to conceive. He advised us to see a counselor as well to make sure we were on the correct path.
If you want a doctor who is blunt ans direct and will not sugar coat anything he is the guy.
We have not started IVF with donar eggs yet.
Our estimate is around $25,000-$30,000
Cumming
[The staff at RBA were] Very organized and willing to help. I loved the communication I had between the nurses. They were very positive and willing to walk you through everything over and over. Thankful for their team. They really were thr best out there...[Dr. Robert Straub] and his team were amazing to our family. Now we are a family of three after one doctor told us we would have to do sperm donor to even get pregnant. That wasn’t the case at all.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Communication was great as I felt very taken care of.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Very educated and felt very taken care of. Straub and his team were amazing to our family. Now we are a family of three after one doctor told us we would have to do sperm donor to even get pregnant. That wasn’t the case at all. First try and we were pregnant with our baby boy.
Trust all of his advice
This is hard to remember specially but here goes nothing! Before retrieval: Follistim Pen + Gonal baby aspirin Progesterone shot Antibiotic We had to do frozen transfer Progesterone
20k
Sandy Springs
[RBA was] Very timely and quick w results. I wish the procedures and side effects were explained more...He [Dr. Robert Straub] was very personable, explained all our options. And what he thought would bring us the most success. When we had a scare he made sure to see us the following week to sit us down, and explain that they misread the ultrasound and that everything looked good...We were treated like a human dr.straub was very personable, and we developed a good rapport with him. Trusted him to guide in the right directions
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
She was very personable and took time to explain everything at each visit and also when I would call with questions.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He was very personable, explained all our options. And what he thought would bring us the most success. When we had a scare he made sure to see us the following week to sit us down, and explain that they misread the ultrasound and that everything looked good.
To stay open minded that with every treatment there are different tests that have to be done before you can start. Stay patient. And take care of yourself
We had male factor so after my husbands surgery didn't work we were told ivf was the best option since his sperm couldn't penetrate the egg
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
They went smoothly and wuick
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Since everything with me checked out fine we were encouraged to only transfer one
Male Factor, Other
Dr. Witt is a very busy doctor and in high demand with lots of patients. I would be prepared to feel more like a number than a human with this office. RBA in general is a good clinic however our experience with Dr. Witt's office in RBA was not ideal...Nursing staff was average. Dr. Witt's assistant was very hard to get in communication with. She did not return phone calls same day or even next day. The assistant was very frustrating while attempting to schedule upcoming appointments.
Describe your experience with RBA.
How was your experience with Michael Witt at RBA?
Dr. Witt was the primary doctor we were referred to in regards to male infertility. Dr. Witt is very knowledgeable in this area however we feel that Dr. Witt was never certain of an action plan to take. After multiple trials in medication it appeared Dr. Witt only wanted to change medicine not any other factors.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Witt at RBA?
Be knowledgeable of potential risks and outcomes
Describe the protocols Michael Witt used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Still in treatment process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Witt at RBA.
Estimated costs of treatment: Medication has costs$800 so far. Sperm Extraction surgery $6000 then IVF cycles
Michael Witt
2010 - 2013
Dr. Toledo's staff is simply incredible. They were warm, caring, welcoming, and more than happy to answer my zillion questions!
2010 - 2013
Dr. Toledo is an amazing doctor and a caring, compassionate person. My husband and I connected with him instantly, and he made a difficult process so much easier with his fierce optimism and attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
The infertility journey is an intense one, and walking into a clinic like RBA can feel overwhelming. Dr. Toledo humanize the process immediately, forging a connection with us over a common football team. He made us feel like we were his only patients, even though he surely had dozens at the time.
My advice is to be your own advocate no matter who your doctor might be. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for clarification when things sound complicated or confusing.
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
We had two prescription issues at this clinic. Once one was never called in and the other time one was written for twice the dosage it was supposed to be written for. If the pharmacist did not catch the mistake, it could have been very bad for my ovaries.
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The care team at RBA did was inconsistent. I saw different staff members at each visit. It was a quick in and out and no one seemed to have time to spend with you. I do not think anyone there knew my name. The whole place seemed so cold and sterile.
The nurses were not willing to email with me when there were test results or for general questions. They said it was too hard to try and get to a computer and that they would just call at their convenience and I could talk to them then. The problem is that I am teacher and that does not work for me. No one was concerned about what worked for me.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I do not feel like we often had experiences with Dr. Toledo. We saw him for an original consultation - but he did not perform any of the three IUI treatments. We met with him after the failed IUI cycles and that was our second and last time meeting with him.
Find a doctor who will be there for you and to address your concerns.
2003 - 2010
When I went through my treatment, 15 years ago, there were limited options. Infertility treatment was in its infancy. I was 39 years old and was told not to have high expectations. When my pregnancy test came back positive, EVERYONE in the office was excited for me. I felt like they were in it WITH me....Back in 2000 when I started treatments, there were so few clinics, RBA was always PACKED. I ran into people I knew in the waiting room frequently. There were no real strengths or weaknesses other than the waiting.
2003 - 2010
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is extremely qualified and incredibly devoted to the practice and to his patients.
I would give the same advice to ANYONE seeing ANY fertility doctor. Be open minded and honest with yourself and with your doctor. Understand that emotions will be a rollercoaster. Try not to take any frustration out on the wrong people. See a therapist if necessary. It's an emotionally draining process, but the end result can be a miracle (as in my case).
IVF, Donor Eggs
Seems organized, clean, friendly staff, billing efficient, always return calls. Staff [RBA- Sandy Springs] compassionate caring and warm. Had to travel out of state accommodating when stuck in traffic, felt cared about in all aspects... Discounted cycle for two embryos about 10,000... Love my nurse she is so caring, always gets back to me. Answers questions... Felt very cared for in phone calls and emails, meeting with him was not rushed and very thorough
Describe your experience with RBA.
Seems organized, clean, friendly staff, billing efficient, always return calls. Staff compassionate caring and warm. Had to travel out of state accommodating when stuck in traffic, felt cared about in all aspects
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lynn Crane)
Love my nurse she is so caring, always gets back to me. Answers questions
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Very thorough compassionate caring and encouraging ! The tests are long and take forever but I felt confidence in him as a doctor trying to help us grow our family. I had a negative result but I still feel like he will get us there
None he is very personable and caring
Lupron after BC, estrogen patches, PI O
Discounted cycle for two embryos about 10,000
They prefer to do only one as to not have high risk for over 40
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The office [RBA - Atl Main] is very clean and has a professional appearance. Appreciate that children are not allowed. Front desk clerk is always helpful and friendly. Easy to get lost though; always need assistance checking out...Staff did not return phone calls promptly or follow through with what they were asked to do. Lab orders were not entered. Scheduling coordinators did not call....Be patient with staff; they are often cold not as helpful but he is worth it!
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RBA.
The office is very clean and has a professional appearance. Appreciate that children are not allowed. Front desk clerk is always helpful and friendly. Easy to get lost though; always need assistance checking out
see previous
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is able to speak to me; explain the process and relieve my anxieties . He has a very comforting presence and can relate to me personally. I feel he understands me; where I come from and is able to anticipate my questions. This process is very anxiety provoking and he does a great job to calm his patients.
Dr. Shapiro is great! Be patient with staff; they are often cold not as helpful but he is worth it!
Sandy Springs
We did a basic egg retrival [at RBA - Fayetteville]... normal protocol.... nothing crazy...We are active military so we paid 50% of fees.... IVF cost us about 10k, meds and everything...He [Dr. Straub] is very nice, straight forward. Explains things well. He even drew pictures so we understood exactly what what the problem was and what was going to happen next...He was honest. Told me to skip IUI bc it prob wouldn't work. I had a block tube, my husband had low sperm count. He told me I had a very good shot of getting pregnant IVF. I wanted to transfer 2, he said he would prefer 1.
He was honest. Told me to skip IUI bc it prob wouldn't work. I had a block tube, my husband had low sperm count. He told me I had a very good shot of getting pregnant IVF. I wanted to transfer 2, he said he would prefer 1. We did 1... I wanted to transfer 2 in case 1 didn't stick. He told me they would prob both stick if we did two.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very nice, straight forward. Explains things well. He even drew pictures so we understood exactly what what the problem was and what was going to happen next.................................................................
We did a basic egg retrival.... normal protocol.... nothing crazy
Fayetteville
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
It's large and you do have to advocate for yourself. The Doctors [at RBA] are great though...He was there for me throughout my treatment even though it was a unique situation where I had embryos frozen in another country. He presented options for my treatment and follow up so I could start the procedure with him, get implanted with the embryos in another country, and then return to his practice.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RBA.
It's large and you do have to advocate for yourself. The Doctors are great though.
Dr. Shapiro tells it like it is and gets to the point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer )
I was able to email her which was great but I always felt like I was annoying them.
He's chatty.
I told him what had worked in the past for success and he followed my prescribed previous treatment.
A lot! Bloodwork was about $400, ultrasound $400 ish
He feels one embryo is best for the woman and baby.