Cumming
275 Collier Road. NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342

He [Dr. Shapiro] is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him.... I was given instructions to avoid alcohol and hot tubs before and after my IUIs. This prevents a rise in my body temperature potentially putting my inseminations at risk. He put me on an antibiotic to take Agee the IUIs to avoid any potential infection since the uterus is sterile and that barrier was crossed with the IUI process.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office.... There are no weaknesses at RBA. This clinic is wonderful. The office staff, nurses, and doctors simply are amazing. I feel welcome and cared for each time I step in and out of that office. This office has made our process if unexplained infertility much easier with their love and care!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him. He is a contributing factor to my mother in law’s IVF transfer which resulted in the live birth of my husband! He is a wonderful doctor!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Trust him wholeheartedly over any article or research you read, he knows exactly what he is doing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He gives 100% of his time to his patients. Answers and elaborates on the treatment process. Answers all our questions thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office. They want my treatment to be a success just as much as I do and they provide me 100% of their time always.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Unexplained infertility is not covered under insurance. We have spent an estimated $5,000 in bloodwork, ultrasounds, IUIs, and consults.
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He is the professional when it comes to any and all fertility treatments. Having suffered two miscarriages naturally, now under his care I know he knows what is best for my body and the potential risks that come with multiple transfers. I trust him 100% in his approach to eSET.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor.... the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options.... I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer.
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I went in for what I thought was a Endometrial scratching. I asked the doctor who was about to complete this if he had taken a look at my latest ultra sound. He was unaware as the nurse team didnt double check and sent me in the doctors office to complete the scratch. I mentioned this to the doctor and he talked to the nurse team and decided he wanted to do an Hysterosalpingogram - HSG. I was fine with this as he double checked before conducting my scratch but at the same time I already completed one of these in July at my other clinic where the doctor saw the fibroid/polyp. RBA had these documents but didnt do much with it. Overall this was a frustrating appointment.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the [RBA] Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF.... Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
My husband and I opted for assisted reproduction after an unexplained miscarriage and inability to get pregnant again. Dr. Best listened to our story with compassion and took copious notes on our issues. She ordered every test in her "arsenal" to try and help us figure out what was going on. She explained the results of the tests and then explained our options (IVF v IUI, etc). I can honestly say that I enjoyed every appointment with her and actually looked forward to seeing her (something I can't say about most doctor visits). She kept my hopes up and was there for me during the difficult moments as well. She is a model doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
To be completely open and honest with Dr. Best about your fears and expectations and concerns. I had concerns about having a trisomy baby due to my age and Dr. Best reviewed with me how we could handle such a situation if it arose. She also had referrals to other doctors I could speak with (MFM's). If money is an issue, let her know and she will try to work out a treatment plan within your budget.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with. From the first moment we met with her, she was warm, she listened, addressed our issues and explained our options in a very clear and concise manner. She has called me on weekends and I even have her cell number (though I try not to use it!)
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I can't remember the exact protocol used, but the first egg retrieval produced a disappointing three eggs so we banked those and did another retrieval that resulted in 12 more eggs! Using ICSI, we then created 12 embryos which we froze until I was ready for a transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection. She taught me how to inject the meds and how to make it less painful. She gave me samples when I was running out of meds and she was just awesome to work with.
Describe your experience with RBA.
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF. It's not cheap!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
We spent about $40,000 for two egg retrievals, three embryo transfers and this includes medicine.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
This was something I agonized over quite a bit. Dr. Best was good at showing me the ASRM standard for number of embryos transferred due to age, but she listened to my concern about multiples and helped me reach an informed decision each time on how many embryos to transfer.
Marietta

Dr Shapiro was very direct- which my husband and I appreciated. He was clear in our treatment and was quick to adjust our treatment so that I didn't have to abandon our cycle. There were points in our treatment that I felt frustrated how many times I had to go into the office but looking back I am glad I was monitored so closely and it led to success.... have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own.
The phone system is a little bit complicated. You have to call and leave a VM and wait for someone to get back to you. I understand this approach but there were times that waiting for the return call was very stressful. The office staff and billing teams were friendly and easy to work with...I was treated very well while going to RBA. The doctors and the office staff were responsive and kind when communicating about treatment.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you are looking for a doctor who is warm and fuzzy Dr. Shapiro might not be for you. If you want direct, quick and sort of quirky Dr. Shapiro is right for you!
I have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own. That cycle did not work. The second cycle I was given Provera and clomid and then injections of Follistim. I was monitored very closely on the Follistim, ultra sounds and blood work every 2 days (at the time this was very overwhelming) but we were able to closely track my cycle and determine the best time for IUI which in my case was cycle day 23. My cycle was successful. In hindsight all the appointments were 100% worth it and I appreciated Dr. Shapiro's attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly & Kelly)
Overall the nursing staff was great. There was some minor confusion at the start of my cycle but it was quickly resolved and my treatment did not need to be changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance so it was mostly covered.

2014 - 2018, Successful
During a Follicle check, [Dr. Slayden] determined I had too many to proceed with an IUI cycle. This was such a big deal because my egg reserve is so low...he did not want me to lose my eggs and strongly recommend IVF. The decision to transfer to an IVF cycle was not easy...He gave me hope, he gave me support, he gave me a sweet little boy.
The first thing I noticed about [RBA] was parking was not free but thank God they validated it for you...clean and easy to navigate...operates with a level of privacy which I found comforting...accommodating to working women and men with appointments beginning as early as 7:20am...I can’t say enough about how much I love this office.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I always knew I wanted to be a mother, so I was completely devastated after my first miscarriage in 2013 and again in 2014. It was at that moment that I knew that I needed answers, and not just from books or online, but from a licensed professional. I chose Dr. Slayden for a number of reasons but ultimately I believe it was his confidence, knowledge, and gentleness that sealed the deal for me. And I needed that because I was completely lost emotionally. I expressed my strong desire to become a mother and Dr. Slayden was thorough and honest with me and my husband about our challenges. He gave us several fertility options but it never felt like he was trying to sell us. While he was in favor of IVF because of the success rate, he also understood the cost associated with this procedure so he recommended more cost effective approaches. In 2015, my husband and I decided to try and treat our infertility with IUI. I was excited but nervous. But what I loved about Dr. Slayden is he did not give us false hope. He was honest, but not brutal, about our chances and when my pregnancy test was negative he encouraged me not to lose faith. I think that’s what kept me going because for me, some days were really hard but I knew I had a doctor committed to my dream. In 2017, we tried IUI again but this time the results were different. During a Follicle check, he determined I had too many to proceed with an IUI cycle. This was such a big deal because my egg reserve is so low. And still committed to my dream, he did not want me to lose my eggs and strongly recommend IVF. The decision to transfer to an IVF cycle was not easy but after, what felt like an hour call with Dr. Slayden, I was convinced and completely optimistic. One thing that always stands out to me about Dr. Slayden was a conversation he had with me and my husband. My husband asked what are chances were of getting pregnant via IVF and Dr. Slayden answered by saying it’s either 0% or 100%. And I just loved this because he had faith when mine had wavered. He gave me hope, he gave me support, he gave me a sweet little boy born 5/22/2018.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
I have actually recommended Dr. Slayden to other women who dreamed of becoming mothers but could not do it naturally. I always tell them to never give up. That even if it does not work at first, to hang in there. To not lose hope. That Dr. Slayden will do everything he can to give you what you are desiring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr.slayden and his entire staff goes above and beyond for their patience. Not only did everyone in the clinic know me by my name, but after every visit, Dr. Slayden always took time to speak to me and answer any questions I had. He spoke to me warmly but honestly. He was sad when I was sad. He was excited when I was excited. This interaction and emotions can only occur when you are treated like a human.
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I understood what IVF was but that was all. I learned so much from Dr. Slayden that I’ve often considered a career change from management to an IVF consultant. I struggled with a thin uterine lining so Dr. Slayden took this into consideration When writing my protocol. Instead of clomid, he prescribed follistim. After my egg retrieval came the hard part. Every single day I took L Arganine, female viagra, vitamin E, baby aspirin and progesterone. He also performed a procedure to scratch my uterus. This was done to Increase my chances of success. And last by not least, I did an estrogen injection, with the longest needle in the world, every 3 days. On September 4, 2017 i did my embryo transfer and 2 weeks later I was pregnant. I continued to take baby asprin and estrogen until I graduated at 12 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kimmy)
I loved Kimmy. Of course when going through something like this, you often prefer the doctor treat you but after meeting Kimmy, that changed. Kimmy had twins born via IVF. Kimmy was nice, funny, gentle, forthcoming and sympathetic. These are hard qualities for 1 person to have but she operated with empathy because she understood what this meant to me. I was always nervous before every single appointment but I felt better the moment I walked through the door. Their front desk coordinator, Heather was friendly and I just loved that she knew me by my name. I can’t say enough about how much I love this office. After I had my son I had the opportunity to take him to the clinic and I just thanked every single person for helping me in some way. Sometimes it was words of encouragement and other times it was a friendly smile.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I visited the Lawrenceville location as it was closer to my house. The first thing I noticed about this location was parking was not free but thank God they validated it for you. The clinic is clean and easy to navigate. This clinic also operates with a level of privacy which I found comforting. They are also very accommodating to working women and men with appointments beginning as early as 7:20am. This was a huge deal to me since I knew it was going to be difficult to juggle work and appointments. However, for me the biggest weakness was this office is located on the 3rd floor and I’m really scared of elevators.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Unfortunately, I don’t remember everything. Before I began my IVZf treatment, they got me in tough with their finance department who went thoroughly went through everything with me. My total cost of the procedure with medicine and testing was close to 30k
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
N/A. I performed PGS testing but only had 1 genetically viable embryo o transfer.
Scott Slayden
Lawrenceville
[RBA] Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly!.. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions...I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Shapiro, there was an instant connection. He treated us like real people. Real people going through a not so great time in our lives. We never felt rushed to leave the office when talking with him. He always made sure that we knew the course of action being taken and why. If there was something I or my husband didn't understand, he would explain it again in a different way. If something didn't work to his liking, he'd tweak the protocol. If he was stumped as to why we couldn't get pregnant, he would schedule an appointment with us, bring food, and make sure we went through everything with a fine toothed comb. He'd even text or call to check on us during retrievals, after transfers, or while waiting to things to happen. My experience with Dr. Shapiro has been one of the best when dealing with a doctor.
Trust him. He knows what he's doing!
The moment I walked in, there was always a smiling face to welcome me. The staff know my name, know about our last conversations we had, gave hugs when news wasn't always the best, hugs when news was good, always positive, and always concerned with feelings and emotions.
For the retrievals, I was put on Gonal F, low dose HCG, and Lupron. Each was tweaked after each round to try and get the best possible number of eggs. For the transfers, Estrace, Crinone, and estrogen patches were used each time. After each failed transfer, the protocol was also tweaked. Part of this was due to my having a thin lining. With the tweaking, my uterine lining continued to thicken each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: 1) Ashely 2) Jennifer 3) Tamika)
I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would. In the office, they would spend as much time as needed with us to go over protocols and questions. They too, are always compassionate! I know I'm not just a number to them, but a human being when I meet with them. They truly want to get to know you and they don't mind you getting to know them. It feels like my favorite place when I am with them.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly! They will talk about their lives and open up if you chose to open up about your life. They know you by name and face. They are always respectful, kind, and compassionate. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions. Weaknesses: there was a time when the group was changing ownership. During this period, things were a little rocky. However, when we stated our concerns, things were dealt with immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Our insurance did not provide payment for services. The cycles cost around $14,000 and embryo freezing/genetic testing cost around $2000 for a package, unlimited for 6 mo. I believe. This has also changed a bit since new ownership.
None. Completely trusted him.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by.... If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words.... After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF.
The clinic [RBA - Sandy Springs] in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes.... The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names and gave us the warmest greeting. He is extremely attentive and will spend all the time we need at each appointment we had with him. We have never felt rushed and always felt very comfortable asking any questions we might've had for him while he was always very graceful answering all of them. He is one giving soul who takes mission trips often, dedicated his time to much research and is an amazing world of knowledge, and I wish all medical professionals had the same attitude about their patients, as it means so much to us, especially in case with fertility treatment us patients get very vulnerable and experiencing so many new emotions. If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words. So having such qualities as kindness, attentiveness, being highly knowledgeable in the sphere, having fine bed-side manners, and a great sense of humor, make an outstanding medical professional in my book! Hands down Dr. Shapiro is on top of the list for me!
Trust him he is one great fertility specialist!
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names, remembered our story and gave us the warmest greeting and spent a lot of time with us at our each visit with him.
Given that my husband and I are both healthy and have no reason to not be able to conceive on our own, Dr. Shapiro first recommended to go with IUI, and try it a few times before we consider IVF. He seemed very rational and considered of our situation and always tried to be very frank and honest with us. Never have we ever felt that he is not invested in our journey. It always seemed that he is also concerned with our financials as well, since he mentioned that IVF is a very costly treatment and lets stay away from it as we can. After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF. Dr. Shapiro was very supportive of that. Every time along the way whether it was IUI or IVF he was extremely informative, has had multiple consultations with us to make sure every detail is covered. At the current moment we are kind of half way in IVF treatment, and only yesterday I had the eggs extracted for fertilization. Once again the preparation period, including ultrasounds, blood work, genetic consultation, nurse consultations and more, was great and made us feel that we do have a fantastic team of professionals that are guiding us and "thinking for us' to some degree which was a very comforting feeling since it al was very foreign to us. So the path to the surgery was not as draining as I was expecting and have heard it would be from outside parties, online research, etc. and again the reason being that I was very well informed and guided and felt a lot of support from my doctor whom I trust and his team. He had assured me that I would have great response to the medications / shots I was using leading to the egg retrieval and that was the case. He was pretty excited on the day of the procedure to inform me with the outcome. Aside the psychological burden we experience as patients, the process was very well orchestrated and organized which relieved me of so much stress. Dr. Shapiro has so far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend him in a heart beat!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! Very informative, caring and ready to help. They all seem very well trained and great professionals. They are very prompt returning phone calls which in this process could be extreme;y sensitive matter. I do not recall them ever not returning my call, falling short on answering my questions and were extremely patient and pleasant throughout the process. In the past month or so most of his staff members have become more like friends that I get to see on almost daily basis. It is amazing as I walk down the hall everyone knows my name and my treatment and it makes it easy to attend knowing how pleasant they all are and ready to help. The nurses are also making sure to let you know how excited they are for you and wish you the best outcome! Its another much needed support team :)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes. Multiple times I had to come in during the weekend for appointments and those were scheduled and handled very well which saved me lots of worries. The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. When I just became a patient at the clinic I was very unhappy with that. I felt that it was very important for someone to actually answer the phone when patients call. Later my attitude about that had changed, and because they never failed to called me back. Another part where I was a little stressed is when the business center (again in my opinion) were not very clear on the treatment payment/cost. I had to speak with multiple finance people until I was given a clear explanation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was given a range of 25-30,000 for the IVF treatment.
Dr. Shapiro had mentioned to us that many patients do in fact transfer multiple embryos for many different reasons. We did not feel that he was steering us to one or the other direction and what he did is inform us of all the potential results / consequences of a multiple embryo vs. single embryo transfer. After he had heard our story and realized our situation he was very much focused on our personal situation and our needs.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Amy was great. The best way to contact her was through the email portal. She usually replied within a maximum of a couple of hours. She answered all my questions and concerns as well as helped me make sure all my records came in from my other physicians...My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications...I liked the initial presentation that I was able to attend on a Saturday morning. It was a good presentation to introduce prospective patients to the clinic, procedures, and some of their doctors and staff. I never had a problem contacting the main office via phone or email. I also never waited more than 10-15 minutes for them to call me back for an appointment.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
The first time I met with Dr. Straub, he was compassionate yet blunt. Blunt due to the issues my age may play a role in success of any fertility procedures. I understood that. The last time I met with him was after the failure of my procedure. He was extremely encouraging, as my body did everything it was supposed to do to prepare with the help of the fertility drugs and we had a great looking embryo. It was the "flip of a coin", as he put it, whether the pregnancy would happen. Because everything set up so perfectly, he is completely on my side in taking 1 more chance.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
He's a good guy. You can't go wrong choosing him to be your physician.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
I have some medical issues, and Dr. Straub took those into account and required each of my physicians to "sign off" on me getting pregnant. He wanted to be very sure everyone on my "team" was on the same page. When I saw him post-treatment (that did not work), I felt like he was completely "on my side". I had anticipated trying this one time, but he was very encouraging as everything went as planned except that the embryo did not result in a pregnancy. We are in the process of deciding to move ahead with another try.
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I started with Lupron injections. Then, patches and internal suppositories were added. These were simply to control my cycle and prepare my uterus. I was lucky as I had no apparent side-effects of any of the medications. The results were excellent as my uterus did everything it was supposed to do in the expected time frames.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerejewski)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications. Insurance covered the cost of the initial consultation and the FemView (maybe?).
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
We never discussed multiple embryo transfer. I'm not sure that is even a consideration due to my age.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Best has been through IVF herself and took the time to share with me how she understands going through infertility. She made me feel comfortable through the whole process. She’s actually the only doctor that found the issue with my husband and I because she took her time and didnt rush through the testing!... I did two IUI prior to Dr. Best so when we went to her I wanted to try timed intercourse to see if my eggs would even respond and they finally did. We did clomid 100 and a trigger shot and both cycles I had 4 and 6 follicles!!
Strengths: great success rates, many offices [RBA Marietta] so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do.... All nurses are very caring and helpful! They always email me back if I have questions within a few hours!
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I’ve never felt more comfortable with a dr. She told me at my first visit with her to put all the stress on her and for me to relax and I’ve honestly done that for once. I trust Dr. Best because she knows what it’s like to have infertility problems and I know she’s going to help us start a family! She’s very patient and answers all questions and I always leave understanding what our next step is.
Make sure you have your past history all printed out, it helps to have it there to look at when you’re going over what’s next.
I did two IUI prior to Dr. Best so when we went to her I wanted to try timed intercourse to see if my eggs would even respond and they finally did. We did clomid 100 and a trigger shot and both cycles I had 4 and 6 follicles!! We didn’t get pregnant unfortunately because we later found out my husband has a morphology issue so we are seeing the male specialist now and hoping to improve sperm quality and then go back to iui or ivf!
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: great success rates, many offices so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do. (1.5 hours)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Consult is $250, hsg was around $700 I think, sperm freeze was $650, ultrasounds around $200, husbands ultrasound was $510, IUI is around $1700, IVF starts at $14,500
I haven’t gotten this far yet.
Marietta
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. ... Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process.
RBA is at the cutting edge of research in the field....but there is still no consistent use of any type of electronic medical record systems. Everything is sent through secure email or by phone. If you travel between offices your physical records are transferred by carrier - keep this in mind if you get bloodwork at a different location than your care team is located - it can cause a delay.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. Before being able to start treatment I ended up pregnant with what ended up being a molar pregnancy. Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process. After my HCG hit negative we were able to begin preliminary testing for an egg retrieval cycle with protocol suggested. This was as far we got before she left the practice.
She is no longer practicing at this clinic but if you find her at another clinic she is amazing! The best choice of doctor in the Atlanta area.
Dr. Best always had the perfect balance of compassion and scientific facts to back up her reasoning.
For treatment of Molar pregnancy I had a next day D&C followed by weekly blood draws until my HCG hit negative followed by monthly negatives for six months to ensure HCG did not rise again. We also performed an SHG and routine genetic testing as well as infectious disease screening before starting an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Nursing staff was always quick and efficient in answering calls and emails.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo always addressed us by our names and has a great bedside manner. He understands how hard this process is and is upfront but also compassionate. ... We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again. ... He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff [RBA] were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well. ... I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was upfront when things were not going as well as expected. He laid out a clear plan of what our next steps were and provided us with sound and logical information. He always was kind and open to discussion regarding what we were comfortable with.
He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way. He is also very open to what your wants and needs are and bases his recommendations on that information.
We decided based on how many embryos were produced if we were going to genetically test them or not. If there were 3 or less embryos, we were not going to test them and take our chances. We ended up with 2 embryos so we did not test them and transferred 1 embryo in July 2018 that resulted in pregnancy and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Looking back I wished I had gone ahead with genetic testing. We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were easy to reach via email or by calling. I had a few nurses who responded, mainly 2 that seem to work for Dr. Toledo. I would not say the nurses are very compassionate but they answer your questions and communicate to Dr. Toledo as needed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
$14000 for first egg retrieval, additional 6-8K for meds, $4k for transfer.
Dr. Toledo and my husband and I decided for eSET due to the fact we have had a previous successful pregnancy (my 2 year old) and that multiples for me could be high risk since I am a petite person and complications could be high if I had multiples. Also we discussed that we knew we wanted 1 more child, but we were not sure if we wanted a total of 3 children.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4. However, my husband and I were both certain they told us the 0.4 number.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Toledo is wonderful. When you are in his office you are his only patient (though he probably has hundreds at any given time). He explains things throughly. The answers questions so that you can understand them. He's patient and compassionate and very easy to talk to...I feel like he genuinely wants us to succeed with every cycle. And he's never pushed me to do something that I wasn't ready to do. We started out very conservatively with my first few cycles and only moved to IVF after all other methods proved unsuccessful...
RBA is a big clinic. Their staff is generally very friendly! I have had many, many positive interactions...Krista is amazing she is so through and responsive. She gets everything done as quickly as possible and is always will to help out and answer questions!...Plan ahead! He can be hard to get in to see. Usually he has a pretty long wait to get an appointment, so plan to schedule your appointment a few months before you actually want to be seen. Make notes or talking points ahead of time and try to think of questions ahead of time to get the most out of your time with him!...
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I can't say enough nice things about Dr. Toledo. I feel so well cared for and my husband also lijrs and trusts him which is really important in the field. I feel like he genuinely wants us to succeed with every cycle. And he's never pushed me to do something that I wasn't ready to do. We started out very conservatively with my first few cycles and only moved to IVF after all other methods proved unsuccessful.
First few cycles were tuned intercourse with femara. Then we moved on to follistim and femara for 1 cycle with timed intercourse. The next month we planned femara + follistim again but we were going to do and IUI. I ended up over responding to the meds that cycle so I was converted to IVF and had a fresh transfer. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we are planning a real IVF cycle next month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista)

IUI With Other Docs
IVF cycle (freeze all with genetic testing) - approx. $14,000 FET unlimited transfers until live birth - $6500 My medications were about $4000 for IVF and FET but those were not through the clinic (purchased through specialty pharmacies). I also had a hysteroscopy performed by Dr. Toledo. It was approximately $2000 (not covered by insurance)...Dr. Toledo has two nurses. Both are organized and respond extremely quickly to your questions. Usually I receive a response within 10 minutes if I email and about an hour if I have to leave a voicemail. One of his nurses isn't as positive or energetic as I would like but that did not impair my experience (and since Dr. Toledo himself is so optimistic and positive this particular nurse seems to be a real contrast in personality). But my primary nurse, Krista, is phenomenal - very organized and incredibly empathetic. Also Dr. Toledo's assistant, Mellisa, is very friendly and recognizes the emotional toll that this process takes. I also found the ultrasound techs to be very nice and compassionate, especially when I was having a down day during treatment.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has an incredible bedside manner. He really understands what his patients are experiencing emotionally and knows how difficult infertility can be. He made me feel like I was a partner in deciding what treatment options we would pursue. Because my condition turned out to be so unusual (unexplained thin uterine lining that does not respond to hormones/drug therapy and makes carrying a baby highly unlikely) I did a lot of research on my own. I would bring different possible treatments options to Dr. Toledo and we would discuss each one. He made it clear that he was willing to try anything so long as it wasn't dangerous. I also made it clear very early on that it was very important to me that he didn't "sugarcoat" my diagnosis. Dr. Toledo respected my request and always discussed matters with me as an equal - not as a superior. On top of all that, he is a very optimistic person and makes it very clear that he will not give up on you.
Keep a list of questions as they arise and bring them to your meetings with Dr. Toledo. He will answer all of them. Do your research ahead of meeting with him so you can work with him to develop a plan/protocol that is right for you - he is great at creating customized protocols based on your specific needs as a patient. And be your advocate. At one point early on in my treatment I felt like a protocol wasn't right for me and one of the nurses was discounting my concerns. When I spoke with Dr. Toledo he listened to me, understood that I knew my body better, and worked with me to deviate the treatment so it was better suited to my body.
Dr. Toledo is incredibly compassionate. He always makes time to speak with you, even if you don't have an appointment with him or are only in the office for monitoring. If he isn't available in person, he will call you. He remembers all the details about not just your medical treatment but also your personal life. I have no idea how he does it - he must have tons of patients but he treats you like you are the most important patient. I have an incredibly unusual and rare issue and my treatment has not gone as planned. But Dr. Toledo has been very honest an empathetic throughout the entire process.
I had an antagonist protocol for my IVF cycle. I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The doses were very light and this was done because I have PCOS. Dr. Toledo listened to my concerns about the possibility of developing OHSS and monitored me closely to ensure this didn't occur. But I was also concerned about using a Lupron trigger (and not an HCG one) - I had read that eggs may not mature as much with a Lupron trigger. But a Lupron trigger is often used with PCOS patients to lessen the risk of OHSS. Dr. Toledo monitored me carefully and after 10 days of stimming allowed me to trigger with HCG. For my retrieval we had 24 eggs (15 were mature), 14 fertilized, 5 made it to day 5 blasts, and 3 tested normal in PGS. I did not have any complications during or after egg retrieval. Unfortunately I have been unable to transfer any embryos (yet) due to my thing lining. But Dr. Toledo has worked with me to try at least 4 different frozen embryo transfer (FET) protocols to try to develop my lining. None have worked so far but he continues to work with me and present new strategies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The staff is very friendly - much more so than any other place we visited. The receptionist staff is always smiling. The clinic is large but I never felt like a number. I felt like they respected my time and didn't make we wait at appointments. But when I needed to talk to someone they would take the time and never rush me. I had to call the billing department once or twice because there had been an error, which was annoying, but they took care of it as soon as I called.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I have not made it to transfer yet. However, Dr. Toledo has strongly encouraged that if/when I do I transfer just one embryo, particularly because mine are PGS tested. I get the impression that I could push for two and he would consider it but he has not said that (and I only want to transfer one).

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Best has also had to undergo IVF to have a child, so she shares her own story with her patients and makes them know that she understands their same fears and worries...Dr. Best makes sure she takes time with each patient. She even has a sketch pad that she illustrates exactly what the fertility issues are. It was nice for my husband and I to see from her perspective why we were experiencing infertility and would need IVF.
[RBA's] Strengths: Clean State of the Art Technology and Equipment Kind nurses, technicians, and doctors Weaknesses: Takes a long time to get scheduled Front office staff at Kennestone location is a little unprofessional. Twice when were there for appointments, my husband and I both heard the receptionist talk about another patient with a nurse and complain that she was needy and annoying. It was really embarrassing to think that they might do that to us when we leave after an appointment. I never heard that at the Piedmont location though.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I would have to say that it is difficult to get an initial appointment. We had to wait 3 months for the schedule to open up; however, we are so glad we were patient and waited. She was exactly what we needed in a doctor for our infertility journey.
Dr. Best first listened to everything we had already tried with other doctors. She explained that she wanted to complete some diagnostics of her own to see what was going on. She asked that we both get physicals, and she performed an HSG and an SHG on me. She was able to see that not only do I have uterine fibroids, but I also have hydrosalpinx on my fallopian tubes. She then explained that the fallopian tubes should be removed. We shared our concern to ever conceive on our own, and she listened to us. She shared her medical opinion, and ultimately let us decide our course of treatment. For now, we are going to have the right tube removed and attempt to conceive on our left side with some more fertility drugs, while we attempt to save up for IVF. She was very real about percentages and results experienced in the office with this treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
My nurse, Julie Morin, always communicated back to my husband and me within the business day, either by phone or email encrypted system. She always listened to our concerns, and even went to bat for us at the hospital when they were refusing to complete a test on me, because I was experiencing spotting. She explained that it was fine, and they needed to do the testing. If we hadn't had the test done, we would have had to wait one more cycle to have testing done. We appreciated her being an advocate for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I was not covered for any treatment under my insurance. I paid: $250 at inital appointment $98 for second appointment $196 for SHG $1,000 for HSG $121 for consultation meeting Quoted: $14,500 for 1 cycle of IVF and $5,000 for medications.
Dr. Best explained that she would allow us to decide to transfer one or two embryos based on what we were comfortable with. She said she would not transfer more than two at a time, since there are risks with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
After I had my HSG, I was told I would have a nurse call me with the results. After two weeks, I finally called to find out, and they had forgotten to call me. It might not seem like a big deal to them, but to the patient that is trying to get answers, it was very frustrating.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Robert Straub] is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time...Expect the appointment to be more of a no nonsense business discussion. His bedside manner in not all warm and touchy...I feel like Dr. Straub took the time and our emails were always responded to in a timely manner. However due to scheduling and the size of RBA Dr. Straub has yet to complete one of our procedures.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment [at RBA]. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by...IUI was $1,500; IVF with PGS was $13,830; unlimited FETs (until we bring home a baby) was $6,500...Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable. They get you in and out of the office quickly so you don't have to wait and miss too much time at work...In preparation for the frozen transfer I was prescribed Progesterone in Oil (sesame). I administered the shot the first evening and was up all night with a high fever. I called the office the next morning and the nurse I spoke to stated it couldn't be caused by the medication and I was just sick. Take Tylenol and go to my PCP if I don't feel better by the end of the day. I wasn't happy with that response so I emailed my nurse directly and asked if I could switch to crinone. She emailed back after discussing with Dr. Straub and agreed to call in the new rx. However, they both agreed that the fever wasn't caused by the medication and I still needed to take one more dose to piggy back the new medication that evening. Again that evening I had a fever again, I took Tylenol and was fine. The next 2 evenings I only used the crinone (using it 2x a day) and have not had a fever since.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time.
We did one round of IUI with Clomid at 50mg. We had a low response to this and learned of MFI. We switched to IVF and I took Gonal-F 150 and Ganirelix. We had 27 eggs retrieved, 26 were mature, 22 fertilized (ICSI and conventional), 15 embryos made it to 5 day blast. We froze all to prevent OHSS. We decided then to do PGS testing and had 6 normal embryos make it out of that. I just went in (today) for my first frozen transfer and now am waiting for the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerajewski)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Sandy Springs

Dr.Best has been a God sent! This is not easy to go through at all! This is such an emotional journey for my husband and I. She has a heart of gold and is always there to answer any questions we have. I feel like she's my cheerleader that's right by my side...I went for ultrasounds and labs. I took Letrozole. I injected hormones for a few days. Once my follicles were of normal size I had the IUI done.
The staff [at RBA] is always so helpful and takes their time with you. I didn't feel rushed at all.At every appointment they give me their time and answer all my questions.I never feel rushed! I feel like they really care...The whole staff is amazing. From the beginning, you're filling out paperwork through their website. That helps by the time you see the doctor on saving time. You meet one on one with the doctor and go over EVERYTHING. You leave having a game plan on what you're about to do. The staff is very caring and positive. You leave having hope on what's about to happen.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Make sure your paperwork is completed. Make sure your knowledgeable in what your insurance covers for fertility. Go in to the office with written questions. Have an idea of what you're willing to spend. Discuss all questions and be open and honest with your doctor.
The staff is always so helpful and takes their time with you. I didn't feel rushed at all.At every appointment they give me their time and answer all my questions.I never feel rushed! I feel like they really care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie and Julie)
I love these girls. Always answering all my questions. They always got back to me in a timely manner. They always made sure I understood all I had to do. They gave me an outline of EXACTLY what I had to do step by step. I NEVER had to stay on top of them, or ask what was next. I always knew.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I pay out of pocket. Insurance does NOT cover this. That's ok. We feel that Dr.Best wouldn't have us try anything that wouldn't work. I don't feel like they want my money. I feel like they want to help bless us with our miracle.
Marietta

He [Dr. Toledo] seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications....He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation.
They [RBA - Atl Main] were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.... My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
He seemed like a well vetted doctor who was current on his knowledge. He was a good listener, efficient, and concerned with the the things we mentioned as concerns. It seems like he's really honed his craft. He and his wife used the clinic themselves which helped make him relatable.
Don't wait. Modern medicine is a beautiful thing. Dr. Toledo can help you conceive.
He seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications.
He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation. A baby aspirin per day through the first trimester. Continued metformin and thyroid hormone supplementation. Trigger shot if needed to stimulate egg release. If all that failed he would move to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Necy (sp?))
My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day. That was a bit stressful but ultimately because of my flexibility I didn't need to wait another cycle for the test.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Not cheap and not covered by insurance mostly.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Best was always very thorough and friendly. She had excellent bedside manner and seemed to want the best. My only negative was sometimes the plan was not communicated effectively and I was unsure exactly what was happening with my eggs after retrieval. There was a necessary change in our plan, but I wasnt informed of the plan until I was in pre-op for egg removal which made it very stressful.
The clinic [RBA] is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring....The nursing stahh was nice and caring. They explained things well and were quick to update with lab results and plan changes....The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Be upfront with your concerns and needs and she will try her best to accommodate you.
My treatment was personalize to my needs and she seemed genuine in her care and treatment of my infertility.
We did egg retrieval with a frozen day 5 transfer. 10 eggs were fertilized, 5 frozen at day 1 and 5 grown to day 5. Only one embryo survived. I was unable to do a fresh transfer due to hyperstimulation. The embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000. Office visits were about 1000 out of pocket.
She encouraged a transfer of 1. There wasnt an option for 2 due to only one embryo surviving but i was educated on why they prefer only 1 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They was a change in plan due to hyperstimulation. I was unaware i would be doing a frozen tranfer or that my eggs would be frozen until i was in pre-op for egg removal. I had been told a fresh tranfer up until that point which made me confused and nervous since i didnt know the plan.
2013 - 2017, Successful
I never expected to find a doctor so openly compassionate and caring, but Dr. Brahma was all of that and more. She was easy to contact and easy to talk to. She spoke of my infertility in ways that made it easy to understand and sought out treatment for me and my partner that would get us as close to a successful outcome as she could. We always felt welcomed with her...We initially had my partners semen tested and found that due to male factor infertility, we would need to move on to working on him first. We then saw a doctor for him, he underwent a biopsy and medication to improve his sperm count and motility. We then tried clomid to induce ovulation in me for an IUI cycle, but I didn't respond. We then tried clomid and injectible medication but the she was unhappy with the time it was taking for my egg follicles to mature and was worried that even with my partners improved sperm, the chance of success with IUI would be low. She then suggested IVF. We began planning for that, but found out during planning that I had been diagnosed with a rare visual impairment. With this diagnosis, we decided to pursue using an egg donor. We spoke with 2 counselors and chose our donor and then had the eggs fertilized with my partners sperm. The eggs that survived to day 5 of maturity were then frozen. We then began our frozen embryo transfer cycles. The first cycle I was put on antibiotics, estrogen, baby aspirin, and progesterone in oil injections. The transfer was a success and I found out I was pregnant 10 days later. Unfortunately, I then miscarried at 5.5 weeks. After the miscarriage, a SHG was performed to make sure my uterus was clear and we moved on to the next transfer cycle. This cycle I was on estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections and lovenox to rule out any possible blood clotting issue. That transfer was a failure. The third transfer she decided on a more aggressive approach and I was on 20 days of antibiotics then estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections, crinone and lovenox. This transfer was successful and I was released from Dr. Brahms's care at 9 weeks pregnant.
We had decent insurance coverage so most of our office visits and routine procedures were mostly covered. The largest expense was the transfer cycles that were out of pocket and all together cost about $22,000...The nursing staff was excellent and easy to communicate with via phone or email. The always took time answer my questions and were kind and supportive...This clinic [RBA] is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She is a sought after and busy doctor, so it may take awhile to get in to see her initially, but she is definitely worth the wait.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She was caring and kind. She always remembered me even though I'm sure she had many, many patients. She never made me feel like I was just one person out of hundreds.
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Karen Brierley)
Describe your experience with RBA.
This clinic is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Brahma had a strong opinion on eSET. She felt that the risk to the unborn child and mother were too great to risk a pregnancy with multiples and that transferring more than one embryo did not give us any statistical advantage in becoming pregnant. To her, the risk was not worth the reward and I agreed.
Pavna Brahma
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo is very kind and does not make you feel like a number. He was also open to trying new things and did not dismiss my ideas. I liked that I always saw him and felt like I had continuity of care. My only gripe would be that he would quote prices for treatment that were half of the actual cost...I have RPL with a second trimester loss, so I was prescribed lovenox for possible clotting disorders for which there are no tests, crinone, metformin for PCOS, thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, baby aspirin, folate for MTHFR, and prednisone. He performed two hysteroscopies in which he found a septum and polyps following use of estrogen after the removal of the septum. He thought the septum might have been the reason for our 2nd trimester loss. I also did two rounds with Femara IUIs that were unsuccessful. He then recommended IVF with PGS as I have not been able to get pregnant in the last 15 months despite treatment.
They [RBA nurses] respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed...Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment...My LH surges happen at night, and the nurse told me to just not test after 3:00 pm because the office would be closed when I find out that I was surging. Seemed like a weird thing when you can call in the am to get in for the IUI...I have RPL with a second trimester loss, so I was prescribed lovenox for possible clotting disorders for which there are no tests, crinone, metformin for PCOS, thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, baby aspirin, folate for MTHFR, and prednisone. He performed two hysteroscopies in which he found a septum and polyps following use of estrogen after the removal of the septum. He thought the septum might have been the reason for our 2nd trimester loss. I also did two rounds with Femara IUIs that were unsuccessful. He then recommended IVF with PGS as I have not been able to get pregnant in the last 15 months despite treatment.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
They respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
For an IVF with PGS cycle, the cost is between $30,000.00 to $33,000.00. That seems really high in comparison to some other clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
For IUI it was around $550.00 for the actual insemination, but you needed at least two ultrasounds that were around $245.00 a piece. If you trigger, they require 2 back to back inseminations.
He recommends a single embryo transfer for my age and the first cycle.
2017, Unknown Success
When I see Dr. Straub I have his undivided attention. He has my chart and is not distracted...While I did a ton of research prior to seeing Dr. Straub, my husband did not and he felt Dr. Straub did a good job of explaining our issues, potential courses of treatment, why he recommends IVF, and how it would work. Dr. Straub is visual and lays it all out on paper for you. When he feels like the conversation gets de-railed, he brought it back. I'm a structure person and he seems to be as well so that works out.
RBA's nurses are great. While they move quickly, they are very nice and will answer any questions. I feel very comfortable with the nurses...Kim in Cumming is excellent. She's totally on top of it if there's an opportunity to see Dr. Straub more quickly. The team does everything they can to not code your chart as infertility so you can use as much insurance as you can, but just double check because Dr. Straub said this then coded an appointment as IVF instead of PCOS or endometriosis which meant it wasn't covered by my insurance. Best to always double check.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
After 18 months with my OB including PCOS, 5 negative cycles with Femara, and a laparoscopy to remove severe endometriosis, I finally saw Dr. Straub. He was no nonsense which I appreciated. He outlined why IUIs would not work for us and we're on the same page to move forward with IVF. I thought it was great that he recognized we should pursue frozen transfers. I've felt comfortable asking direct questions and getting a clear answer. While I did a ton of research prior to seeing Dr. Straub, my husband did not and he felt Dr. Straub did a good job of explaining our issues, potential courses of treatment, why he recommends IVF, and how it would work. Dr. Straub is visual and lays it all out on paper for you. When he feels like the conversation gets de-railed, he brought it back. I'm a structure person and he seems to be as well so that works out.
Know your health history. Ask direct questions. While the process can be very emotional, go in to appointments with the goal of answers and plans.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Straub was very clear to recommend a single embryo transfer for my age and first IVF cycle.
Cumming
Dr. Shapiro remembers personal information about my life and works with my religious and schedule limits...Dr. Shapiro truly cares. It feels like my disappointments are his disappointments. He wants us to succeed. Even if my dream is not what he would dream for his life he wants to be able to help me get my dream. He is honest and straightforward.
The clinics [RBA] biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee...Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free...Say hello to everyone in the office. When you are nice and friendly, the staff gets to know you. Then you feel like everyone is rooting for you...Dr. Shapiro truly cares. It feels like my disappointments are his disappointments. He wants us to succeed. Even if my dream is not what he would dream for his life he wants to be able to help me get my dream. He is honest and straightforward.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I have a very high AMH with out PCOS. We used 225 Gonal F to stimulate and get as many eggs as possible. The first 2 days I had a somewhat slow response. But then my estrogen started rising very quickly. We decreased the Gonal F to 175 and then down to 50. We had to trigger at day 10 because I already had many big follicles. We used Ganarelix to stop ovulation. I started it on day 4. We did not use Menopur because Dr. Shapiro believes it will decrease the number of eggs without increasing egg quality. We triggered with Lupron 80mg so I would not hyperstimulate. We got 36 eggs, 30 mature, 17 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5. 3 were PGS normal. We did 2 natural FET because I have a perfect uterus with perfect cycles. Both ended in a negative. We did one medicated FET with an endometrial scratch because it couldn't hurt and maybe it would help. And oral estrogen, vaginal cream progesterone, Lupron to stop from ovulating, medrol because it can't hurt and maybe it can help.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinics biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free.
Because the lab has to stick a needle into the zona palusa to get the sample for PGS, it increases the risk of the egg splitting so Dr. Shapiro encourages eSET. He also stresses the risks of multiple pregnancies.
2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Best’s bedside manner is INCREDIBLE. At times, infertility is a subject that can be difficult to understand. Dr. Best explained it in the simplilest terms, always made me aware of the next course of treatment/testing, and has done it with a posititivity & patience that I’ve never experienced with any other DOCTOR...Dr. Best had to remove my Fallopian tubes. It was one of the most difficult periods in my life. She was very kind and compassionate about the situation. I had to trust that she knew best. Fast forward to one beautiful toddler and current pregnancy with TWINS! I guess she knew what she was doing! We are forever grateful for her. Not only would we recommend her to others, WE HAVE. We are donating our remaining embryos, and Dr Best will be the doctor.
Dr. Best’s medical team [at RBA Sandy Springs] are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment...50% discount for vets...Their strength is that they are available to their patients, no matter the time. I normally got sad because I knew after I graduated, I wouldn’t receive the same quality of care as RBA. A weakness would be their sudden turnover, and what I feel is a lack of knowledge from the newest employees. I know that the veteran employees have been there long enough to have processes down to a science, but I feel there is a need for a more thorough on board process.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Enjoy the journey, and learn more than your friends know about reproductive health.
Dr. Best’s bedside manner is INCREDIBLE. At times, infertility is a subject that can be difficult to understand. Dr. Best explained it in the simplilest terms, always made me aware of the next course of treatment/testing, and has done it with a posititivity & patience that I’ve never experienced with any other DOCTOR that I’ve patronized (regardless of practice).
For retrieval, Gonal-F, Ganirelix and luepron (for trigger). For both transfers estradiol patches, progesterone oil and low-dose aspirin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Dr. Best’s medical team are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment.
It was great! 50% discount for vets

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Shapiro spent time reviewing what we'd tried previously that hadn't worked...He gave me the statistics but largely let me call the shots. He was concerned about making me happy, not about his clinic's statistics (and it paid off for both of us!)...He made me feel hopeful and confident. Even if we hadn't been blessed with our daughter, I would have been thankful to him for the opportunity he gave us (letting me try what I wanted to try, thereby erasing all doubt about what "could have been if only...")...
[RBA - Atl Main] Weaknesses: Have to pay for parking. Strengths: Everything else! Seriously, they are the best. Never had to wait long for appointments, was always able to get an appointment before work, they worked with me on a payment plan, ladies who drew blood were excellent, and my absolute favorite thing (especially after coming from ACRM) was that I got to see MY doctor after every monitoring appointment. This place is run so efficiently it's almost unbelievable...
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shaprio is smart, well-read/educated, compassionate, and trustworthy. He is an excellent communicator and by all appearances just a quality human being. It was SO refreshing to come to him after our nightmare of an experience at our last clinic. He made me feel hopeful and confident. Even if we hadn't been blessed with our daughter, I would have been thankful to him for the opportunity he gave us (letting me try what I wanted to try, thereby erasing all doubt about what "could have been if only...").
See him sooner rather than later!
Dr. Shapiro spent time reviewing what we'd tried previously that hadn't worked. He listened to (and agreed to) what I wanted to try differently based on research I had done. He validated observations that other doctors dismissed. He promised not to cancel pre-retrieval as long as there was *something* to go after. He gave me the statistics but largely let me call the shots. He was concerned about making me happy, not about his clinic's statistics (and it paid off for both of us!).
All three of my previous pregnancies had followed the use of a Z-pak. Although research says there should be no correlation, I knew in my gut there was so he treated me with both a Z-pak and Flagyl. Also, I strongly suspected my losses were related to some undiagnosed immune issue and begged to be treated with Lovenox. He agreed there were likely immune issues that the scientific community had not yet even identified, much less produced a test for, so he treated me with Lovenox. I am now the proud mommy of a beautiful 14-month old!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer was an excellent nurse but not very warm-and-fuzzy (which was ok as I didn't need that at that point, especially since Dr. Shapiro is sufficiently so).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was very fortunate to have insurance coverage that covered a lot. I think I paid ~$3,000 to RBA (plus some for meds that insurance didn't cover).
Sandy Springs

Sometimes his [Dr. Daniel Shapiro's] explanations were too complicated but I was fine with that, i got the gist and more importantly knew what he new. The first consultation was over 75 minutes and he laid out a plan and prediction at each step. His analysis at each step was accurate and with each step I gained more confidence that we would have a baby after 2 years of infertility treatments. Not only do I think he finally cracked the case on my infertility but but also that confidence was new and I think changed the outcome.
Jennifer [a nurse at BRA] was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence...About $12k total for 1 IVF cycle but they broke it up so smartly that for our January cycle we were able to get medicine in December for the cost of $0 because I had met my deductible. I had a $5000 credit for IVF from work and then magically we got a $2000 refund at the end. Out of pocket we only ended up paying about $4k for this IVF cycle!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Extremely intelligent and a thought leader in the space. Sometimes his explanations were too complicated but I was fine with that, i got the gist and more importantly knew what he new. The first consultation was over 75 minutes and he laid out a plan and prediction at each step. His analysis at each step was accurate and with each step I gained more confidence that we would have a baby after 2 years of infertility treatments. Not only do I think he finally cracked the case on my infertility but but also that confidence was new and I think changed the outcome.
Take notes. He is so smart and fast and it's helpful to have notes to refer back to.
Always prepared for my case, hours response time to questions via email, always ready during appointments and fully understood that I was juggling job.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Cunningham )
Jennifer was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Having been to another clinic, this was head & shoulders above. Clean, medically advanced, set up to flow.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I wanted 2 with hope of having 1 baby. Dr. Shapiro strongly, very strongly, said one was enough and had enough medical evidence of why 1 was better that we listened.