Cumming
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Toledo was so personable! He was very honest and told what he expected from our situation...During the stimulation process, my body was slow to respond to the medications. He never gave up and allowed me to STIM a few days longer. My results were awesome and he stopped by after he did the retrieval to tell me what a great job I did!...always hugs me and shakes my husband’s hand. He’s a breath of fresh air during this difficult time...
A great strength [at RBA] is the front desk receptionist!...makes you feel so welcomed. The entire nursing staff are super helpful, friendly and personable even down to the phlebotomists!...[financial advisor] broke everything down and you were able to make payments...[nurse] was so excited about my results she called me already excited!!! They made this process really wonderful!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
When I first met Dr. Toledo, he walked into his office and was very cheerful and gave off a wonderful positive vibe! As time went on and I completed the check list, we met with him again to discuss the next steps. He still was very optimistic and told me what protocol that he thought would work. During the stimulation process, my body was slow to respond to the medications. He never gave up and allowed me to STIM a few days longer. My results were awesome and he stopped by after he did the retrieval to tell me what a great job I did!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Go in open minded and trust his thought process on what he thinks will work out for you!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was so personable! He was very honest and told what he expected from our situation. He did the egg retrieval and was so encouraging. He stopped by and talked to us and told us my results after retrieval. He always hugs me and shakes my husband’s hand. He’s a breath of fresh air during this difficult time
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I I had to take 300 IUs of Gonal-F, 2 times a day (one in the morning, one at night). I did this for 17 days. I also gave myself 0.5 ml of Lupron daily. My husband gave my my trigger shot HCG, which wasn’t bad. I had 18 eggs, 16 embryos, and 11 embryos were frozen. 2 embryos came back genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
The nursing staff was AWESOME!!! They communicated thoroughly and timely! When they would call after I did my retrieval, she was so excited about my results she called me already excited!!! They made this process really wonderful!
Describe your experience with RBA.
A great strength is the front desk receptionist! She is the greatest. She has the personality of the sweetest grandmother ever! She’s so nice and friendly and makes you feel so welcomed. The entire nursing staff are super helpful, friendly and personable even down to the phlebotomists! I can’t think of any weakness that I witnessed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Their financial advisor Tay was awesome! She broke everything down and you were able to make payments.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo only wants to transfer a single embryo because of my age (41).

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Overall, I had a great experience with him [Dr. Daniel Shapiro]....He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment...He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He took the time to get to know me. I ran into him outside the office and he knew and said hi to me.
Strengths [at RBA] - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time...Some nurses were better than others. Some acted as though they hadn’t read my charts and I was practically telling them what to do. Some understand my case and advised accordingly...I showed up once for a midcycle ultrasound, and the ultrasound person said they had me down for a baseline
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Overall, I had a great experience with him. My first 2 pregnancies everything went according to his plan and I got pregnant very quickly. We are trying for our 3rd, with the same plan as before, and are having an insanely hard time getting pregnant. It is frustrating because to him, this is normal and is unexplained infertility, but knowing I got pregnant so easily the first two times makes this even harder. He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I took Femara for each cycle, along with Progesterone shots, ovidril to trigger ovulation, and IUI
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time.
One IUI cycle including medicine was between $2,500-$3,000

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Shapiro spent so much time with us discussing every aspect of our treatment plan. We expected someone as busy as him to rush us through the initial conversation, but he took his time and made sure every single one of our questions was answered. He was blunt in a way I appreciated and never seemed condescending or like he was judging our questions.
It’s a giant practice [RBA] - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Very knowledgeable about what seemed like our very specific set of circumstances, which I think speaks to his overall expertise. He made us feel comfortable discussing topics we hadn’t discussed with anyone else yet. Most importantly he eased a lot of the concerns I had about whether or not it was even possible for me to use my eggs in our course of treatment. The only weakness I’d say we’ve encountered is that it took awhile to get the initial appointment-approx. 6 weeks - but we were lucky to have the time to wait.
Come in prepared with all your questions, he’ll have the time to answer them. Be willing to be open about exactly what your expectations are with him so he can set realistic goals for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
There was some initial confusion with the care coordinator on exactly what types of tests and blood work needed ordered for my first few appointments. But every other nurse in the office always worked extremely hard to get it sorted out when I was there. Everyone has been very responsive to emails and questions and we’ve never had trouble getting in touch with anyone.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a giant practice - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He only does single embryo transfer - something we were ok with.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
During the initial bloodwork and ultrasounds there was an instance of the care coordinator ordering the wrong ultrasound and ordering the bloodwork twice. It was frustrating in the moment but the nurse assigned to me that day was incredibly helpful about getting it all sorted out.
Sandy Springs

Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring...He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided...immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks...has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE...He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program [at RBA]. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k...The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices...I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo got to know my husband and I as individuals and not just patients. He wanted to know about our stresses in life, occupations, how our journey had been. Our first appointment was an open dialogue about what we had experienced. I was certain he would push IVF from the start. Isn’t that what they do at a reproductive clinic? To our surprise, he didn’t. After several appointments and honest conversations with Dr. Toledo we have decided to pursue IVF. I’m confident he has the hope that we do.
Come prepared. Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring. I predicted that I had a thyroid problem so I pulled blood labs from three years back (non related to fertility). He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided.
Dr. Toledo has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE. With a troubling and disappointing 2018, we scheduled and appointment with Toledo. He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I had four unrelated individuals recommend his name to me, so when our appointment day came I felt as though I was meeting a celebrity. Toledo sat with my husband and I and went page by page over our history. He was so compassionate and thorough. We left with a renewed sense of hope and peace. Every appointment since has been better then the last. Being in his care as where we are supposed to be.
Dr Toledo immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks. He ordered another sonohysterogram. I had one done a year before with my OBGYN but he wanted to run one again. I can’t even begin to explain how easy that procedure was at RBA compared to my first. The ladies at RBA explained that that was something they do daily whereas an OBGYN might know how to do it but they don’t practice it that often. Dr. Toledo also ordered a few tests on my husband so we could have the most current information. He then sat down with us and went through everything, thoroughly explained our options, and gave us his opinion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
At RBA we work with the same staff from the beginning to the end. Dr. Toledo has an admin who scheduled our first consultation and has always been available for general question. Then there is a separate young lady to go through our protocol, next medical steps, consents, etc... Tay is his financial contact. She had a separate meeting with us to talk solely about financing, insurance, and drug costs. We have also met a team of nurses and his medical assistant who have guided us through everything at this point. We feel like we are in really good hands.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices. I live in the city but work about an hour north. I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k. The program lasts for two years or one live birth, whichever comes first. If this does not happen you get the majority of your money back. If you choose to leave the program you also get the majority of your money back. We looked at all options and financially this made the most sense. It’s a great program and we are lucky to be in it!
Sandy Springs

I felt like a human because I was petrified going in. I am a bigger girl and there is A LOT of bias against obese women trying to get pregnant. Dr. Shapiro addressed it directly which was totally appropriate but also very gently and respectfully.... Dr. Shapiro will only transfer ONE embryo at a time. His reasoning for this is that it does not really increase liklihood of implantation versus multiple pregnancy outcome and complications associated with same. I would like to transfer more than one if available as I am hoping one round of IVF will be enough but I understand his rationale and I like him so much I would rather stay with him, even with his one embryo approach.
Strengths of this clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] would be getting patients in to see the doctor quickly, waiting room time is short, front desk staff are kind and friendly and responsive to needs while keeping confidentiality a main concern. I have not really seen any weaknesses, we have always been accomodated, even last minute....Both nurses (Kelly and Diana) are responsive, kind and compassionate. They alternate working the phone and seeing patients in the office but it is so comforting to k lnow that you are seeing or talking to one or the other.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is sensitive and caring and made us feel as if we were family, which i suppose you are to a degree when you conceive with his expertise and guidance! Dr. Shapiro explained the whole process overall and then explained our case with our factors specifically. He is laid back, very funny and you leave with a sense if being in good capable hands.
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Shapiro is to not be worried about what he may say to you. I was so nervous because I felt like the only obese person to walk in there but he was so respectful and kind. He really looks at the whole picture and does not judge his patients. You can feel secure knowing he has your best i terests and outcomes at heart.
In my treatment we did four rounds of IUI Dec 2018-March 2019. Protocol for treatment was an ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle to check ovaries and lining of uterus; Femara on days 5-9 of my cycle, testing for peak LH (Lutenizing Hormone) and since I never received a peak we did another ultrasound around day 14 to see if my follicles were ready to release an egg. HCG trigger shot was given to induce ovulation when egg was ready and insemination followed two days later.i would then have to wait two weeks to take a pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly and Diana)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths of this clinic would be getting patients in to see the doctor quickly, waiting room time is short, front desk staff are kind and friendly and responsive to needs while keeping confidentiality a main concern. I have not really seen any weaknesses, we have always been accomodated, even last minute.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance and our out of pocket costs for IUI was about $400 each IUI including medications, ultrasounds, and insemination.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Shapiro is flexible and can tailor treatment plans that work best for you! I am terrible with shots so during the transfers I was able to do a crinone gel instead of progesterone shots everyday!...my endometrial lining wasn’t where we wanted it to be on day 10 so we increased the estradiol orally and vaginally...was very upfront with us and would let us decide whether to transfer multiple embryos or not. My first transfer he recommended one as I had unexplained infertility so we wanted to see if that took - and it did! On the second we did the same given the success of the first!
They are really efficient once you are a patient! Since you need to be in the clinic so often, you don’t want to wait 30 mins just to get blood drawn (like my previous clinic). RBA is great with this, always prompt and communicate very well on the process...The clinic is so well run that you are never left in the waiting room for more than 15 minutes while the “number” of other patients walked in...There has been turnover in the nursing and support staff. This is one pain point with the clinic. My experience this time around was much better than previously and Dr Shapiro was honest with us letting us know that the nursing staff is fairly new but learning everything quickly.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr Shapiro is very knowledgeable in his field. He can over explain certain things but that only makes you feel more confident in the plan going forward. He properly assesses the pros and cons of each situation and let’s you and your partner make a decision.
Be knowledgeable walking in and have somewhat of a plan as to the outcome you want and timeframe. Dr Shapiro is flexible and can tailor treatment plans that work best for you! I am terrible with shots so during the transfers I was able to do a crinone gel instead of progesterone shots everyday!
I was on estradiol, baby aspirin and crinone for both embryo transfers. On the second, my endometrial lining wasn’t where we wanted it to be on day 10 so we increased the estradiol orally and vaginally.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Thankfully IVF is covered under our insurance for this clinic. Egg retrieval + embryo transfer came to about $3,000. The latest embryo transfer was $900!
Dr Shapiro was very upfront with us and would let us decide whether to transfer multiple embryos or not. My first transfer he recommended one as I had unexplained infertility so we wanted to see if that took - and it did! On the second we did the same given the success of the first!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
In 2016 (different nursing staff then now), it was a mess trying to get prescriptions ordered to start my egg retrieval process- super stressful!
Sandy Springs

I always came away from my appointments [with Dr. Daniel Shapiro] knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people...When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
The procedure costs [at RBA] are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed...The clinic runs pretty efficiently. I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes, at the longest, for my appointments. I've never had trouble with scheduling. The receptionists are friendly and know me by name. The same is true for the billing team. You definitely feel like the whole clinic is rooting for you.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro does not mince words. I always came away from my appointments knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people. For instance, he actually gave me his family's recipe for latkes (hand written) when he found out I was planning to include the dish over the holidays. When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
Don't expect him to sugar coat information, whether good or bad. He is supportive and compassionate, but also direct in his delivery.
Dr. Shapiro has always been optimistic, but realistic throughout our testing and treatment process. I always feel like he's giving me the time I need to talk through options and get all my questions answered. He never pushes us toward a treatment plan we're not comfortable with or interested in. We also greatly appreciate his sense of humor, especially during the stressful moments.
I went to see Dr. Shapiro for secondary infertility. After laparoscopic surgery I was diagnosed with mild endometriosis. Given that I had a previous pregnancy, my AMH was high and there were no male factor issues, he recommended IUI with Clomid. The first cycle produced one follicle and didn't result in a pregnancy. The second cycle produced three follicles, my husband's sperm sample was 84M, and resulted in a pregnancy. I actually had a consult midway through my second cycle requesting to skip a third and move directly to IVF. Dr. Shapiro was so confident in the progression of my second cycle he told me that he felt fairly confident it would end in pregnancy, which it did. I did miscarry at 5 weeks, unfortunately, but the IUI was a success. I'm now waiting for my regular cycle to return and a consultation with Dr. Shapiro before proceeding to my next treatment option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I'm lucky enough to work for a company that provides fertility benefits, so I paid little out of pocket. The procedure costs are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed.
2013 - 2019, Successful
Scott Slayden takes an extraordinary amount of time with his patients. He listens, he talks with you as an informed patient who has a huge stake in their treatment, he offers up different solutions and paths to consider, and, above all, he is kind, compassionate, and caring while not sugar-coating the truth of the situation. He delivers news in a gentle, straightforward manner that gives you hope while also keeping a grasp on the reality of the difficult circumstances.
Their [RBA] absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I recommend Dr. Slayden every chance I get. He is very smart, up on the latest news, trends, and treatments, but not afraid to reach back to something tried-and-true if it might help the patient. I was a patient with a lot of complications, that kept getting worse. He was always kind, encouraging, helpful, and compassionate. More importantly, he is EXCELLENT at his job. He seems to enjoy the challenge of a patient who is not cookie-cutter and he has an amazing success rate. He is willing to go outside the box, willing to listen to patient’s ideas, will discuss different options at length, and will fight for a patient to have success. He stuck with us when other doctors may have given up or told us to stop trying. We regularly thank God for him. I recommended him to my best friend after she had failed attempts with an out-of-state clinic. I believed in his care so absolutely that I convinced her to travel to see him. And it was the right decision that resulted in a beautiful baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Even if you don’t live locally to his office, it is more than worth it to travel to be under his care. He is very willing to manage out-of-state patients. He is worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I had had a failed fresh transfer cycle at another clinic and transferred to Dr. Slayden upon the recommendation of several friends who had had success with him. He recommended being strategic and aggressive with getting the most eggs and embryos possible, as quickly as possible. I had a very low ovarian reserve and had only 4 eggs retrieved at my first cycle with the first clinic, with a failed transfer of the one resulting embryo. He wanted to back-to-back retrieval rounds to get as many embryos as possible, freeze them, and then do a frozen transfer when my body was as ready as possible. We did that, got many more embryos, and then did a day-3 transfer that resulted in a pregnancy that unfortunately later miscarried. While my body healed from the miscarriage, we did another retrieval and froze all embryos to add more to the “bank”. We did another frozen transfer but my lining wouldn’t prep correctly, so we cancelled that, and he tried multiple rounds of different therapies and medications to help get my lining to respond. We attempted a “natural” transfer with a frozen embryo, timing it to my body’s cycle. That resulted in a good lining, but a chemical pregnancy. We took a break, attempted another frozen embryo transfer with a natural cycle and got our miracle boy. We had 3 more frozen transfers after him, all with “natural” protocols that times it to my body’s cycle (which doesn’t always work with the lab’s schedule, or our schedule, and we had to try different cycles before they would line up, but Slayden was willing to go that extra mile to get us our babies). That resulted in our daughter, and current healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
All of RBA staff are kind and compassionate, take time with their patients, and have genuine joy and heartache for you. I have not had a single bad experience.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Their absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Over $100,000 because of multiple rounds of IVF, frozen transfers, surgeries, etc.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro has a very goofy sense of humor, he really likes Star Wars and makes references that make me laugh when I feel stressed out. He is incredibly knowledgeable and we are so grateful for that...He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options...I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)... only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples...
Cossandra is the care coordinator [at RBA] and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me...[Monitoring] Felt like a pretty well-oiled machine. Bloodwork usually first and then the ultrasound...Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself...The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. You come to him for answers and he gives them to you. You should not get your feelings hurt when any doctor is giving you additional information related to what you already know.
From the initial consultation, Dr. Shapiro asked us how we pictured our family to look down the road. He was trying his best to get us into the baby guaranteed program but I produced more eggs than he was predicting. He reassured us the whole way.
So I was supposed to do a medicated IUI with LDHCG and GonalF but on CD 9 I had my bloodwork/ultrasound appointment and lucky enough for me, we couldn't almost 8 mature follicles. Unfortunately, that meant the IUI was too high risk and we converted our plan to IVF with a retrieval just days later. Triggered with HCG and although I did feel pretty terrible for about 5 days after retrievable, I felt better after that and I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Diana)
My primary nurse was Diana and she's very nice but sometimes didn't get the warmest feeling from her. I'm sure she's incredibly over worked given how popular Dr. Shapiro is but I guess from the nurses stand point I was hoping for a warmer feeling. Cossandra is the care coordinator and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me. I had to have some paperwork filled out for work to make sure I didn't get fired for the time off I had to take and she make sure everything was handled.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself. I wish it was a little bit cheaper obviously but no problems! The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
Without the cost of medications, about $23,000
Dr. Shapiro and his clinic only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
One time, one of the other nurses advised me that my follicles were bigger than they actually were. No biggie but I did get a little prematurely excited.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. ... Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. ... We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear).
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. ... Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden is pretty easy going and gives patients room to make their own decisions in most cases unrelated to safety. He also was compassionate when delivering bad news or change or plans during a treatment cycle. Some of the information comes at you pretty fast so be sure to take notes and do your own research!
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. Make sure to weigh each option before starting treatment.
After going to another top clinic in Atlanta where we felt like a number we were pleasantly surprised by RBA. Although my initial doctor left the clinic midway through the year Dr. Slayden picked up right where she left off and continued treatment.
We started with Dr. Slayden right from egg retrieval. We followed the plan set out by my initial doctor which he agreed with. Stimming was rather uneventful as I was only on Gonal-f and ganirelix towards the end and triggered with lupron. From that cycle we ended up with 11 genetically normal embryos. We met with the doctor to discuss plans for an FET and created a plan about a moth after egg retrieval. I started on the course of medicines prescribed (lupron, estrogen patches) but on lining check day my lining was still quite thin a week out from scheduled transfer. Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. While extremely disappointed we agreed and were able to get the surgery scheduled within a week. We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear). We transferred at the end of November and I am currently a week away from my second trimester. Can’t thank Dr. Slayden enough for letting us make informed decisions along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie Bean )
Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in. I think we will probably miss her the most! All the other nursing staff and coordinators were lovely as well.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. Now they are very prompt with appointments and answering calls back. I still never felt like a number here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
At RBA at the time a full cycle of IVF was about $14,000 not including medications and a frozen transfer was about $4000 not including medications.
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
For my age and number of embryos we were both pretty adamant about transferring one. I had done my own research and was uninterested in doing more than one embryo. Dr. Slayden and I agreed and the discussion around this topic was minimal.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs

Dr Shapiro was very direct- which my husband and I appreciated. He was clear in our treatment and was quick to adjust our treatment so that I didn't have to abandon our cycle. There were points in our treatment that I felt frustrated how many times I had to go into the office but looking back I am glad I was monitored so closely and it led to success.... have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own.
The phone system is a little bit complicated. You have to call and leave a VM and wait for someone to get back to you. I understand this approach but there were times that waiting for the return call was very stressful. The office staff and billing teams were friendly and easy to work with...I was treated very well while going to RBA. The doctors and the office staff were responsive and kind when communicating about treatment.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you are looking for a doctor who is warm and fuzzy Dr. Shapiro might not be for you. If you want direct, quick and sort of quirky Dr. Shapiro is right for you!
I have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own. That cycle did not work. The second cycle I was given Provera and clomid and then injections of Follistim. I was monitored very closely on the Follistim, ultra sounds and blood work every 2 days (at the time this was very overwhelming) but we were able to closely track my cycle and determine the best time for IUI which in my case was cycle day 23. My cycle was successful. In hindsight all the appointments were 100% worth it and I appreciated Dr. Shapiro's attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly & Kelly)
Overall the nursing staff was great. There was some minor confusion at the start of my cycle but it was quickly resolved and my treatment did not need to be changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance so it was mostly covered.
Sandy Springs

I feel like Shapiro genuinely cares about getting you pregnant, and not by doing it the most expensive way possible. Unlike our old RE, he didn’t think we needed IVF based solely one one low number (2% morphology) on my husband’s SA. He talked about completely different possibilities of what could be preventing us from getting pregnant that my old RE never even remotely explored. He spent almost 2 hours in our consultation and goes into great detail when explaining things. He’s very smart, and a little hard to keep up with at times, but you get the sense that he genuinely wants you to understand. I enjoy listening to him, and wish I could have seen him at all of my appointments. I could probably talk about infertility with him for hours. He seems passionate about what he does, and he cares about helping you.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don’t be afraid to ask him questions if you don’t understand something. Sometimes he can explain things to you as if you were another doctor he’s speaking to, but don’t let that intimidate you. He’s just very smart, and seems to really like talking about infertility. Have questions ready in case he spends a lot of time on one subject, that you forget you wanted to ask him something else. He’s very humorous as well and likes to joke, which totally took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the times I got to speak with him.
At the initial consultation with Shapiro, he spent almost 2 hours with us. He really seems to enjoy explaining things and going into great detail, and I really appreciate that. I didn’t feel like he wanted to rush us out of there at all. He genuinely wanted to be talking to us I think, or else he wouldn’t have spent so much time.
He believed there might be an egg quality issue, and that oral medication (Femara) with IUI isn’t enough for me. He had me do a low dose HCG injection lead in for egg quality (started day 15 of the cycle before the cycle with the IUI). This continued up until trigger shot. I then started 75 IU of Gonal F in the next cycle on days 8-12. Ovidrel was used for trigger, then the IUI was scheduled for 36 hours later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Fristensky )
Majority of communication with the nurse is done via email which I was fine with. She was pretty quick to respond which was nice. I had a rough start with her, as I couldn’t get a call back. But then I quickly realized email was my best bet. She doesn’t elaborate a lot in emails, or go into much detail, but I assume that’s because she’s busy. Dealing with her in person wasn’t as pleasant as I got the sense she was in a hurry and trying to rush me through my appointments with her after my ultrasounds. That’s something I cannot stand. I drove over 2 hours for every appointment, only to be rushed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time. I will say that the major drawback about this clinic, and one that has made me reconsider using them for future treatments is that I was told both my consultation and my SHG would be covered by insurance. I was only required to pay my $40 copay for the consultation, and that $287 was my portion of the SHG. My insurance covers testing, and every consultation I had with my old RE was covered. But because of the diagnosis code (female infertility not specified) that RBA is using on these claims, my insurance is denying them. I was never told that the diagnosis code might prevent them from being covered. I’ve asked them to please use a code that doesn’t indicate infertility like my old clinic did, but they’re refusing to. This really upset me considering I had my insurance verified by them, and they told me these two things would be covered, but now they’re coding them in a way to keep them from being covered. I’m not asking them to commit fraud, there are a lot of other valid codes that could be used. It really makes me reconsider using them again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We ended spending about $2500 for one IUI with injectables - that included all appointments, blood work before cycle and during, medications, and IUI ($600 by itself). But now we probably owe $500 or more due my insurance claims being denied that they told me would be covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They failed to tell me that even though my insurance covers the consultation and SHG, that it may not be covered depending on the diagnosis code used on the claim.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor.... the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options.... I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer.
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I went in for what I thought was a Endometrial scratching. I asked the doctor who was about to complete this if he had taken a look at my latest ultra sound. He was unaware as the nurse team didnt double check and sent me in the doctors office to complete the scratch. I mentioned this to the doctor and he talked to the nurse team and decided he wanted to do an Hysterosalpingogram - HSG. I was fine with this as he double checked before conducting my scratch but at the same time I already completed one of these in July at my other clinic where the doctor saw the fibroid/polyp. RBA had these documents but didnt do much with it. Overall this was a frustrating appointment.
Sandy Springs

She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] is very sweet and reassuring of the process...Dr. Brahma is very compassionate and knowledgeable. I feel like some extra communication could have been better for example I did not realized that eggs were graded and actually asked afterwards and then was explained... I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic [RBA] but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me...Approximately $14k for the retrieval process. Then an additional cost of a choice of $4k for one embryo transfer or $6500 for multiple transfers up to a live birth. The second round cost was unexpected and not communicated until it was necessary. I was not able to have My medications ordered until everything was paid upfront.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Be prepared to be very persistent and knowledgeable on the subject yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma is great! She is very sweet and reassuring of the process. The process in general in regards to the office and getting people to call you back and give you all the details you need was less than great. I felt like I had to be on top of all phone calls and calling and or emailing several times in order to get an answer.
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was on the highest dosage of meds for the egg retrieval and wasn’t expected to result in many eggs as my AMH was a .42. My egg retrieval was the highest dosages of Lupron and Follistim. The Lupron gave me migraines. Although the 2nd transfer using it maybe my body adjusted as I didn’t have the headaches like the first two times. I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5. With Estrogen and Progesterone. My first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The embryo started to implant but ultimately did not. All my levels were perfect and everything should have worked but it didn’t. Additionally after the failed transfer I had a scratch biopsy and was put on antibiotics. My 2nd transfer is scheduled in 10 days. In addition to the medication I have been receiving accupuncture treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Crystal Alcantara)
I felt that they forget we don’t know the process of what is happening. There are some things you don’t know to ask or to do if you aren’t told or haven’t been through this before. Some vital information was not effectively communicated.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Again educate yourself on the process, ask a lot of questions,Take notes and be prepared to be the squeaky wheel. They should have someone on staff just to answer phones and answer questions. Calling and getting someone on the phone is an act of God. Most times I would have to call and email and call again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
At first I really wanted to do multiple embryos in the transfer. Due to having a myomectomy in 2014 Dr. Brahma recommended that I only do one at a time due to the potential my uterus may not be able to take getting so enlarged. She also explained that if the uterine environment were to be the cause of a transfer not taking I would most likely lose both embryos in a multiple transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me.
Pavna Brahma
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Shapiro] is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him.... I was given instructions to avoid alcohol and hot tubs before and after my IUIs. This prevents a rise in my body temperature potentially putting my inseminations at risk. He put me on an antibiotic to take Agee the IUIs to avoid any potential infection since the uterus is sterile and that barrier was crossed with the IUI process.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office.... There are no weaknesses at RBA. This clinic is wonderful. The office staff, nurses, and doctors simply are amazing. I feel welcome and cared for each time I step in and out of that office. This office has made our process if unexplained infertility much easier with their love and care!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him. He is a contributing factor to my mother in law’s IVF transfer which resulted in the live birth of my husband! He is a wonderful doctor!
Trust him wholeheartedly over any article or research you read, he knows exactly what he is doing.
He gives 100% of his time to his patients. Answers and elaborates on the treatment process. Answers all our questions thoroughly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office. They want my treatment to be a success just as much as I do and they provide me 100% of their time always.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Unexplained infertility is not covered under insurance. We have spent an estimated $5,000 in bloodwork, ultrasounds, IUIs, and consults.
He is the professional when it comes to any and all fertility treatments. Having suffered two miscarriages naturally, now under his care I know he knows what is best for my body and the potential risks that come with multiple transfers. I trust him 100% in his approach to eSET.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Straub is very matter of fact. He doesn’t give any emotional support. He did make a joke at the end of my second appt with him and it was kind of a shock because his personality is so straight forward.... He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot.... We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test
RBA is huge and it is a pretty well oiled machine. The most annoying part for us has been the billing office which took forever to return my calls or emails. Everyone else has been mostly kind. I had one rude person answer the phone but that’s all.... The nurses have been wonderful. They answer all of my questions and put up with my crazy. They tell me of their own personal experiences with IVF. They are quick to respond and always thorough. They made me feel like they cared.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is direct and to the point. He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot. He is not emotionally supportive at all. I cried when he told us ivf was our best option and he pointed to the box of tissues on his desk and kept talking.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Go with this doctor if you want an efficient, smart doctor who will cater to your timeline. Get a therapist elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test and maybe more tests. My husband had to do two semen analyses and ultimately they found male factor infertility was the issue. Due to his numbers ivf using ICSI and a frozen transfer were presented as our best option. We are about to start the egg retrieval process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy C)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
So far we have paid about 13,000 but expect to pay 26 or so for IVF with ICSI.
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He recommended transferring only one embryo for us as it is lower risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
The only issue I had was they wouldn’t call with results as promised. I called every day that the results were expected to come and they would tell me the results but I rarely had them reach out to me.
Robert Straub

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Toledo is warm and caring. He always comments on things in my life we’ve talked about in the past, I’m sure he doesn’t remember, he probably makes notes and then reviews his notes before our appointments BUT he takes the time to do that. He’s caring and compassionate. When my beta came back negative he called me himself and talked to me while I cried. He’s simply the best.
It’s a big clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs]. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.... Dr. Toledo’s main nurse, Krista, is amazing. She never seemed bothered by my calls or questions and she was kind and compassionate. He had another nurse or assistant, I don’t remember her name, who is also ok, but not quite as warm as Krista. But she wasn’t mean and she got the job done, just not with that warm fuzzy feeling. His NP is also great!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Like I said before, he’s warm and compassionate. He is friendly and funny. He takes the times to answer questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed. When the first plan didn’t work he made a new one. He’s open to things I suggest or ask about.
Write down your questions ahead of time. Write down his answers. Know that once treatment starts you won’t see him frequently but he does look at what’s happening and have his nurse call with the recommendations and changes.
We did a cycle with follistim and ganirelix. I don’t remember dosages but do know that my dose never changed from the starting dose bc I responded well. They retrieved 19 eggs but only 8 were mature. Six fertilized with ICSI and one of the immature eggs did fertilize in the dish overnight. On day 3 the embryos looked good and they pushed me back to a day 5 transfer. On day 5 all the embryos had stalled in the day 4 stage so we transferred 2. Unfortunately, we didn’t get pregnant and the remaining 5 embryos died in the lab the day after transfer.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a big clinic. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We had some insurance coverage so paid a deposit of about $3000 and about $2500 for meds. We also did two IUIs. We submitted one to insurance and maybe paid a couple hundred dollars out of pocket for that but I can’t remember exactly. The second one we paid for ourselves and it was probably about $2-3000
Sandy Springs

Dr. Daniel Shapiro was great at addressing my and my husband's concerns and explaining the details involved for the surgery I had in 2017 to remove my left fallopian tube and clean the adhesions & scar tissue from endometriosis. He also has a great sense of humor, which helped alleviate my anxiety....Dr. Shapiro was very detailed in his explanations and, in particular, explained the next steps needed. He also helped me feel calmer before undergoing surgery. He is a forthright and direct communicator, which I appreciated.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered...For the initial visit, my husband and I met with a nurse practitioner, who was very helpful in answering our questions and who showed compassion. After my surgery, I saw another nurse for the post-op visit, who was good, but not as great as the first nurse was.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Feel comfortable asking questions, even if you think they are minor or irrelevant.
Dr. Shapiro removed my left fallopian tube, which was blocked, and cleaned the adhesions and scar tissue present as a result of stage 3 endometriosis. I did not know I had endometriosis, but I did find that I had a blocked fallopian tube after having done the HSG test. The surgery was necessary to remove the blocked fallopian tube and to diagnose if I had endometriosis.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered; however, I hope this can be worked out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
The surgery I had was around $3-4k, though most was covered by the insurance company. It was less expensive because the clinic has an out-patient facility. The office consultations were $100-$300/visit. The bloodwork was about $300-$900 for my husband and me. Most of these costs were covered by my insurance company, though we did pay money for co-payments and co-insurance. Right now, I have been billed by Lab Corps to cover the lab work done with our initial visit, which should've been covered by the insurance company. I have been in touch with the billing office; however, it has not yet been resolved. RBA needs to resubmit the claim with the diagnosis code that will be covered by the insurance company. The billing office person said they've had several of these returned claims and are working on handling them. However, this has been the most frustrating part of the process so far.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo always addressed us by our names and has a great bedside manner. He understands how hard this process is and is upfront but also compassionate. ... We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again. ... He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff [RBA] were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well. ... I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was upfront when things were not going as well as expected. He laid out a clear plan of what our next steps were and provided us with sound and logical information. He always was kind and open to discussion regarding what we were comfortable with.
He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way. He is also very open to what your wants and needs are and bases his recommendations on that information.
We decided based on how many embryos were produced if we were going to genetically test them or not. If there were 3 or less embryos, we were not going to test them and take our chances. We ended up with 2 embryos so we did not test them and transferred 1 embryo in July 2018 that resulted in pregnancy and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Looking back I wished I had gone ahead with genetic testing. We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were easy to reach via email or by calling. I had a few nurses who responded, mainly 2 that seem to work for Dr. Toledo. I would not say the nurses are very compassionate but they answer your questions and communicate to Dr. Toledo as needed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
$14000 for first egg retrieval, additional 6-8K for meds, $4k for transfer.
Dr. Toledo and my husband and I decided for eSET due to the fact we have had a previous successful pregnancy (my 2 year old) and that multiples for me could be high risk since I am a petite person and complications could be high if I had multiples. Also we discussed that we knew we wanted 1 more child, but we were not sure if we wanted a total of 3 children.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4. However, my husband and I were both certain they told us the 0.4 number.
Sandy Springs
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. ... Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process.
RBA is at the cutting edge of research in the field....but there is still no consistent use of any type of electronic medical record systems. Everything is sent through secure email or by phone. If you travel between offices your physical records are transferred by carrier - keep this in mind if you get bloodwork at a different location than your care team is located - it can cause a delay.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. Before being able to start treatment I ended up pregnant with what ended up being a molar pregnancy. Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process. After my HCG hit negative we were able to begin preliminary testing for an egg retrieval cycle with protocol suggested. This was as far we got before she left the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
She is no longer practicing at this clinic but if you find her at another clinic she is amazing! The best choice of doctor in the Atlanta area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best always had the perfect balance of compassion and scientific facts to back up her reasoning.
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
For treatment of Molar pregnancy I had a next day D&C followed by weekly blood draws until my HCG hit negative followed by monthly negatives for six months to ensure HCG did not rise again. We also performed an SHG and routine genetic testing as well as infectious disease screening before starting an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Nursing staff was always quick and efficient in answering calls and emails.
Monica Best
Sandy Springs
Dr. Brahma is soft spokDr. Brahma is soft spoken and will answer any question asked. She can move through the material quickly as I'm sure she has many patients to get to and this material is routine for her. She was clear in her concerns at the beginning. We met with her twice in person and once by phone for the entire cycle process beginning to end...every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
I felt as if they [RBA - Sandy Springs] forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process...I was on the highest dosage of medication allowed as my AMH is low and 'egg age is older then my biological age'. We built a probe through Cooper Genomics for PGS and PGD testing to look for cystic fibrosis.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Take notes and when you are unsure what she is saying speak up, right then, to ask her to elaborate. Also, every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
Dr. Brahma has 2 nurses that are responsible for responding to emails re: concerns, treatment plan and follow up plans... Both are very nice and prompt to respond. However, we never received proper training for injection administration and/or location. We were told the pharmacy would do that to which the pharmacy said they do not do that anymore, so we were left to learn off of videos on YouTube. Looking back now I should have messaged RBA to say "They won't teach us, when would you like for us to come in for you to show us how?" Feeling like a number: We did our transfer 2 weeks before Christmas so right around the Christmas is when I needed to do my bloodwork to confirm pregnancy. Because we were traveling I went to an offsite 3rd party facility who ended up taking 4 days to send it the results (should have been next day). No one at RBA seemed concerned when I would call to ask if they had received results, which was very disappointing. I wish someone would have lit a fire under the 3rd party company to send results but RBA seemed to only feel it their responsibility to merely wait until the company sent (in their own time)... Then after 'regular hours' were established again Dr Brahma said 'Yes, quite often they do not get us the results next day." That was infuriating to hear this was common and no-one mentioned it to me when I told them I would be going to a 3rd party location as I have to believe we would have changed our travel plans. Feeling like a number: Often when orders would be sent or a plan put in place there would not be much explanation on the details of that plan. I felt as if they forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process. Feeling like a human: Dr. Brahma has an amazingly kind disposition. She is soft spoken and quick to acknowledge any concerns or worries presented. She will reach out to fellow practitioners if she has a question. Meetings with her were clear and we left feeling like she cared about us and the outcome.
Crystal (and Caitlin) were overall quick to respond to questions we had and also share protocol plans. Be mindful that any communication over major holidays the communication is very very delayed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They are familiar with IVF for reasons other then infertility, ie: avoiding specific genetic diagnosis. The billing/financial department is not helpful at ALL in determining what the out of pocket cost will be to the family. they will give you a price breakdown sheet but that is it. We were left on our own to call insurance and see what/ if anything they would cover. RBA will not bill insurance for anything if you do not have an IVF policy so it will be on you to request reimbursement. The cost of how much IVF will be is literally one of the hardest items to nail down.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We built a probe through Cooper Genomics to PGS and PGD testing for cystic fibrosis. The cost for that was $4,500 and $1000 for up to 8 embryos. The probe is kept to be used for any additional cycles/embryos. Medication was ~$5300 Single transfer was $4500 Multiple transfers (until a live birth) was $6000 (The is PER retrieval) Overall we gathered our out of pocket costs to be $35,000. Ours was more because of the extra genetic testing and lack of insurance paying. There is no discount for paying cash for a cycle.
She stated that single embryo transfers are more successful so multiple transfers were not common in their facility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Results arrived over a holiday and it took extra time for anyone to reach out to us from the clinic to relay that.
Pavna Brahma
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Amy was great. The best way to contact her was through the email portal. She usually replied within a maximum of a couple of hours. She answered all my questions and concerns as well as helped me make sure all my records came in from my other physicians...My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications...I liked the initial presentation that I was able to attend on a Saturday morning. It was a good presentation to introduce prospective patients to the clinic, procedures, and some of their doctors and staff. I never had a problem contacting the main office via phone or email. I also never waited more than 10-15 minutes for them to call me back for an appointment.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
The first time I met with Dr. Straub, he was compassionate yet blunt. Blunt due to the issues my age may play a role in success of any fertility procedures. I understood that. The last time I met with him was after the failure of my procedure. He was extremely encouraging, as my body did everything it was supposed to do to prepare with the help of the fertility drugs and we had a great looking embryo. It was the "flip of a coin", as he put it, whether the pregnancy would happen. Because everything set up so perfectly, he is completely on my side in taking 1 more chance.
He's a good guy. You can't go wrong choosing him to be your physician.
I have some medical issues, and Dr. Straub took those into account and required each of my physicians to "sign off" on me getting pregnant. He wanted to be very sure everyone on my "team" was on the same page. When I saw him post-treatment (that did not work), I felt like he was completely "on my side". I had anticipated trying this one time, but he was very encouraging as everything went as planned except that the embryo did not result in a pregnancy. We are in the process of deciding to move ahead with another try.
I started with Lupron injections. Then, patches and internal suppositories were added. These were simply to control my cycle and prepare my uterus. I was lucky as I had no apparent side-effects of any of the medications. The results were excellent as my uterus did everything it was supposed to do in the expected time frames.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerejewski)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications. Insurance covered the cost of the initial consultation and the FemView (maybe?).
We never discussed multiple embryo transfer. I'm not sure that is even a consideration due to my age.
Robert Straub
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by.... If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words.... After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF.
The clinic [RBA - Sandy Springs] in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes.... The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names and gave us the warmest greeting. He is extremely attentive and will spend all the time we need at each appointment we had with him. We have never felt rushed and always felt very comfortable asking any questions we might've had for him while he was always very graceful answering all of them. He is one giving soul who takes mission trips often, dedicated his time to much research and is an amazing world of knowledge, and I wish all medical professionals had the same attitude about their patients, as it means so much to us, especially in case with fertility treatment us patients get very vulnerable and experiencing so many new emotions. If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words. So having such qualities as kindness, attentiveness, being highly knowledgeable in the sphere, having fine bed-side manners, and a great sense of humor, make an outstanding medical professional in my book! Hands down Dr. Shapiro is on top of the list for me!
Trust him he is one great fertility specialist!
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names, remembered our story and gave us the warmest greeting and spent a lot of time with us at our each visit with him.
Given that my husband and I are both healthy and have no reason to not be able to conceive on our own, Dr. Shapiro first recommended to go with IUI, and try it a few times before we consider IVF. He seemed very rational and considered of our situation and always tried to be very frank and honest with us. Never have we ever felt that he is not invested in our journey. It always seemed that he is also concerned with our financials as well, since he mentioned that IVF is a very costly treatment and lets stay away from it as we can. After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF. Dr. Shapiro was very supportive of that. Every time along the way whether it was IUI or IVF he was extremely informative, has had multiple consultations with us to make sure every detail is covered. At the current moment we are kind of half way in IVF treatment, and only yesterday I had the eggs extracted for fertilization. Once again the preparation period, including ultrasounds, blood work, genetic consultation, nurse consultations and more, was great and made us feel that we do have a fantastic team of professionals that are guiding us and "thinking for us' to some degree which was a very comforting feeling since it al was very foreign to us. So the path to the surgery was not as draining as I was expecting and have heard it would be from outside parties, online research, etc. and again the reason being that I was very well informed and guided and felt a lot of support from my doctor whom I trust and his team. He had assured me that I would have great response to the medications / shots I was using leading to the egg retrieval and that was the case. He was pretty excited on the day of the procedure to inform me with the outcome. Aside the psychological burden we experience as patients, the process was very well orchestrated and organized which relieved me of so much stress. Dr. Shapiro has so far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend him in a heart beat!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! Very informative, caring and ready to help. They all seem very well trained and great professionals. They are very prompt returning phone calls which in this process could be extreme;y sensitive matter. I do not recall them ever not returning my call, falling short on answering my questions and were extremely patient and pleasant throughout the process. In the past month or so most of his staff members have become more like friends that I get to see on almost daily basis. It is amazing as I walk down the hall everyone knows my name and my treatment and it makes it easy to attend knowing how pleasant they all are and ready to help. The nurses are also making sure to let you know how excited they are for you and wish you the best outcome! Its another much needed support team :)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes. Multiple times I had to come in during the weekend for appointments and those were scheduled and handled very well which saved me lots of worries. The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. When I just became a patient at the clinic I was very unhappy with that. I felt that it was very important for someone to actually answer the phone when patients call. Later my attitude about that had changed, and because they never failed to called me back. Another part where I was a little stressed is when the business center (again in my opinion) were not very clear on the treatment payment/cost. I had to speak with multiple finance people until I was given a clear explanation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was given a range of 25-30,000 for the IVF treatment.
Dr. Shapiro had mentioned to us that many patients do in fact transfer multiple embryos for many different reasons. We did not feel that he was steering us to one or the other direction and what he did is inform us of all the potential results / consequences of a multiple embryo vs. single embryo transfer. After he had heard our story and realized our situation he was very much focused on our personal situation and our needs.
Sandy Springs
[RBA] Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly!.. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions...I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Shapiro, there was an instant connection. He treated us like real people. Real people going through a not so great time in our lives. We never felt rushed to leave the office when talking with him. He always made sure that we knew the course of action being taken and why. If there was something I or my husband didn't understand, he would explain it again in a different way. If something didn't work to his liking, he'd tweak the protocol. If he was stumped as to why we couldn't get pregnant, he would schedule an appointment with us, bring food, and make sure we went through everything with a fine toothed comb. He'd even text or call to check on us during retrievals, after transfers, or while waiting to things to happen. My experience with Dr. Shapiro has been one of the best when dealing with a doctor.
Trust him. He knows what he's doing!
The moment I walked in, there was always a smiling face to welcome me. The staff know my name, know about our last conversations we had, gave hugs when news wasn't always the best, hugs when news was good, always positive, and always concerned with feelings and emotions.
For the retrievals, I was put on Gonal F, low dose HCG, and Lupron. Each was tweaked after each round to try and get the best possible number of eggs. For the transfers, Estrace, Crinone, and estrogen patches were used each time. After each failed transfer, the protocol was also tweaked. Part of this was due to my having a thin lining. With the tweaking, my uterine lining continued to thicken each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: 1) Ashely 2) Jennifer 3) Tamika)
I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would. In the office, they would spend as much time as needed with us to go over protocols and questions. They too, are always compassionate! I know I'm not just a number to them, but a human being when I meet with them. They truly want to get to know you and they don't mind you getting to know them. It feels like my favorite place when I am with them.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly! They will talk about their lives and open up if you chose to open up about your life. They know you by name and face. They are always respectful, kind, and compassionate. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions. Weaknesses: there was a time when the group was changing ownership. During this period, things were a little rocky. However, when we stated our concerns, things were dealt with immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Our insurance did not provide payment for services. The cycles cost around $14,000 and embryo freezing/genetic testing cost around $2000 for a package, unlimited for 6 mo. I believe. This has also changed a bit since new ownership.
None. Completely trusted him.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Best was always very thorough and friendly. She had excellent bedside manner and seemed to want the best. My only negative was sometimes the plan was not communicated effectively and I was unsure exactly what was happening with my eggs after retrieval. There was a necessary change in our plan, but I wasnt informed of the plan until I was in pre-op for egg removal which made it very stressful.
The clinic [RBA] is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring....The nursing stahh was nice and caring. They explained things well and were quick to update with lab results and plan changes....The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Be upfront with your concerns and needs and she will try her best to accommodate you.
My treatment was personalize to my needs and she seemed genuine in her care and treatment of my infertility.
We did egg retrieval with a frozen day 5 transfer. 10 eggs were fertilized, 5 frozen at day 1 and 5 grown to day 5. Only one embryo survived. I was unable to do a fresh transfer due to hyperstimulation. The embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000. Office visits were about 1000 out of pocket.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
She encouraged a transfer of 1. There wasnt an option for 2 due to only one embryo surviving but i was educated on why they prefer only 1 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They was a change in plan due to hyperstimulation. I was unaware i would be doing a frozen tranfer or that my eggs would be frozen until i was in pre-op for egg removal. I had been told a fresh tranfer up until that point which made me confused and nervous since i didnt know the plan.
Monica Best