Cumming
(404)665-5722
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

Dr. Best is a warm and welcoming doctor. She is very insightful and wants to go over her action plan in detail. Once she has her plan she is on a mission. My low ovarian reserve count and my husband's klinefelter syndrome didn't stop her as it would most doctors I believe...Dr. Best took the time to attack the plan at need. However, my husband and I both felt that a lot of information was given at once with little take home information.
Our clinic was Reproductive Biology Associates. My husband's doctor was Dr. Michael Witt while I saw Dr. Monica Best. The two offices appeared to function as satellite offices. The only weakness I saw regarding the clinic was the communication between offices could have been better in regards to doctor's notes, medical files and procedure plans...The nursing staff for Dr. Best were able to assist when needed. The satellite offices appeared to not communicate as well with one another.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
Do your research and know your options. Dr. Best will let you know but it is better to go in there with the knowledge already so you aren't lost when she is talking terms and procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Dr. Best wants to do two cycles of Egg retrievals then for my husband to have a sperm extraction procedure. After this, we will then fertilize then send off for genetic testing.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Estimated total costs: $52,000
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Best does have a strong preference to only selecting one embryo to transfer compared to multiple. We have expressed wanting to place two embryos in our first trial and she expressed that it does not raise our chances of pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Lab results came back conflicting.
Monica Best

2015, Successful
Julie [an RBA nurse] was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her! Dr. Best is a deeply compassionate and skilled physician. She was familiar with my treatment history before our first visit and had immediate recommendations to improve the chances of a successful pregnancy for our next cycle. I work in healthcare, she is by far one of the best physicians I have worked with and she made me want to do a better job with my own patients.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Trust her. She is spectacular. If you have questions Dr. Best or her staff will make sure you are taken care of -ask them anything.
I saw Dr. Best after an extremely negative experience with a previous provider. She was thorough, compassionate, & extremely positive. Transferring my care to her allowed me to heal and look forward to my next cycle with hope. She is an amazing physician and all around incredibly decent human being.
Lupron down regulation before frozen embryo transfer, Progesterone in oil supplementation during luteal phase versus vaginal progesterone. Successful pregnancy was the result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Julie was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Travel, Medications, Cycle fee
Monica Best
Marietta
Clinic [RBA] seems to really value each patient as an individual vs a number. Weakness- i think they could do some upgrades to their facility and accommodations for patients in waiting area but I really do not think the clinic has any true clinical or relationship weaknesses.... Labwork- roughly 500 for spouse and I HSG-roughly 2000 IVF round- 15,500 Embry Tranfer- 4500 per transfer Meds- 4-5000 ( IVF cycle 3000 plus embryo transfer prep- mine were 5700) Additional Visits- 150 per visit
How was your experience with Jessica Rubin at RBA?
Dr. Rubin greeted my husband and I as people instead of patients. She introduced herself by her first name and really seemed to make a connection with us on a personal level. Due to our concern with our diagnosis, we saw her multiple times prior to making a decision on a treatment plan and those visits were more like therapy than clinical. She shared her personal beliefs and then discussed science. When we went into the retrieval, I was panicked about a low projected number of follicles the night before the procedure. Dr. Rubin called me at home at 8 pm when I was flipping out (she was not on call) just to reassure both my husband and I. She went above and beyond and made me feel safe in her care. I may need to do additional retrievals and I will only do them under her guidance.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Rubin at RBA?
Be open to tough discussions- she will give you the information in a straight forward way
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Rubin at RBA?
Dr. Rubin introduced herself to us and I knew she was going to treat us as people not a number. She remembered specific details about our lives that were unrelated to our treatment and made it a point to come visit us after our retrieval even though she wasn’t on call. In addition, she called and essentially talked us off the ledge when we almost backed out of Ivf due to fear. She engaged with me on a personal level that was beyond her clinical expectations as a provider. She truly seemed to care about our outcomes as a couple instead of statistic. Using her own experience with egg freezing, she was able to make a connection with me on a level beyond that of another RE.
Describe the protocols Jessica Rubin used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Initial worktop was diagnostic labs for my husband and I, HSG for tubal testing, and follow up saline sonogram. IVF for unexplained infertility. Ultrasounds starting on day 5 of Protocol cycle- every other day until retrieval. Retrieval day 14. CoQ10 recommenced for egg quality. Meds- Gonal 5-150 mg at bedtime, HCG in am (10 mcg for egg quality) for entire cycle. Add Cetrotide daily staring on day 7 to prevent ovulation.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Clinic seems to really value each patient as an individual vs a number. Weakness- i think they could do some upgrades to their facility and accommodations for patients in waiting area but I really do not think the clinic has any true clinical or relationship weaknesses. Overall, a great experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Rubin at RBA.
Describe Jessica Rubin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Only single embryo transfer. Statistical evidence that proves that single embryo transfer produces higher success rates and safer pregnancies and outcomes for mom and baby
Jessica Rubin
2012 - 2015, Successful
RBA is a wonderful practice. I was referred by my ObGyn. I've had many visits to the Main office and to Dr. Brama's Piedmont location. I cannot think of any weaknesses. Everyone was kind and professional.....The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
My experience with Dr. Brama was wonderful. She did whatever possible to make sure I understood what was going on with my body. She even drew pictures of my organs to explain parts of the process. My road to motherhood began with the removal of tubal blockages. My left tube was completely blocked and Dr. Brama removed it in 2012. She wanted to remove both, but respected my wishes to give the partially blocked (right) tube a chance. Surgery was successful and after a couple of attempts with IUI, she suggested not wasting my money. The other tube was not cooperating. It would be better to remove it and proceed with IVF. My second surgery was completed a year after my first. After my body had time to heal, I was ready to begin egg retrieval. The retrieval went well; 17 eggs harvested and fertilized. 5 of them made it to 5day blasts. Unfortunately, my body went through ovarian hyperstimulation, so the window to transfer was closing. I opted to freeze the embryos, allow my body to recoup...and pay down some medical bills. A few months later I was back. I began taking the meds to prep my body for the transfer. This procedure was the only part Dr. Brama wasnt a part of due to a scheduling conflict. However, she told me personally which in my mind attributed to the great relationship we had. Again every part of the process was explained. We discussed risk factors and I decided to transfer 1 thawed embryo. For me, 1 was all it took. The transfer was successful and I carried my daughter for a little over 37 weeks. After my baby was born, Dr. Brama was the first person I took her to meet. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brama is very wise and has great bedside manner. Stay optimistic and and trust her guidance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Not to say that one should go off of a picture alone, but as I read the bios of each doctor at RBA, there was a wariness in Dr. Brama's smile that drew me to her. Upon meeting her, I knew I had made the right decision. Taking the news of infertility was hard and Dr. Brama allowed me the time to have my emotional moment. NEVER was there a time that I felt rushed or "like a number".
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I do not recall the protocols Dr. Brama used, but in my opinion it was a blend of her medical expertise and respecting my wishes as a patient. I could've probably shaved a year off of my time had I not tried to make use of the partially blocked tube. I appreciated that, but what I appreciated more was Dr. Brama not being afraid as my doctor to then say to me we're wasting time. Not in those exact words, but it was the snap back to reality I needed to regain my focus and stay the course. I don't know if I'm a special case...being successful with IVF on my first try, but it was a pleasant surprise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day. That afternoon I went to the restroom and saw that I was spotting. Can we say minor freak out? I called Dr. Brama's office and this same nurse was able to calm me down. She asked how bright the blood was. Its was dark burgundy/brownish. She reassured me it was old blood and to not worry. More than likely it was implantation bleeding...and it was. I think all of the nurses are well trained and understand the delicate nature of each situation and our stress levels.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Unfortunately I do not recall the prices associated with my care during those 4 years. Georgia insurance does not cover infertility. I did eventually open a loan with CapExMD. Then I started a GoFundMe page to help pay off the loan.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
We did have a thorough discussion about the number of embryos to transfer. For a while I thought about multiples, but I've always worried about my stature. I'm not even 5 feet tall. It didnt take much convincing on my end, but Dr. Brama also felt it would be best for a single transfer.
2014, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring...She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop... I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
The wait time can be long [at RBA] so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason...Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI...She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop and made sure we took strived to my PCOD under control first. I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
Make a list of concerns you have. Make sure she has any records that pertain to your fertility weeks before your appointment and if possible have your ob/gyn do a preliminary workout so you can ask questions.
She listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle, the outcome of the cycle and agreed on what we needed to do to prepared. She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring. I really like her.
Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The wait time can be long so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason.
My insurance covered everything

2011, Unsuccessful
Mostly we liked Dr. Brahma. However, during the first IUI I remember starting to cry and she seemed genuinely surprised and not sure how to deal with me (which truly surprised me - can't imagine I was the first woman to respond that way!)...I was disappointed with the way she responded during the procedure. It seemed like she should have known how to handle a hormonal woman crying during an unpleasant procedure when she's trying to have a baby...
They [RBA] seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!... there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Please see earlier note about the IUI procedure and her response. Mostly we liked her, but I was disappointed with the way she responded during the procedure. It seemed like she should have known how to handle a hormonal woman crying during an unpleasant procedure when she's trying to have a baby.
Try her out. See if you like her style.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
I don't remember a lot of the nursing staff. However, there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling. She never made me feel silly for asking a question or being nervous or responding to anything in a certain way. She was the best part of the experience!
Describe your experience with RBA.
I honestly don't remember much about the clinic. They seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Brahma [at RBA] was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
I would advise a prospective patient to be completely open with Dr. Brahma. Also, to ask any questions that you may have.
She was honest and courteous with all of our questions and concerns.
In the beginning, we discovered that my egg reserve was low. As a result, we looked into using an egg donor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
My experience with the nurses was always a good one. I had little contact with the nurses as Dr. Brahma was extremely involved in my care and she was present during every visit.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic has several locations which makes it easier for appointments. I cannot think of any weaknesses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We have the basic costs for our care: office visit copays, procedure costs and deductibles.
Piedmont
Dr. Straub explained things well and let us know of the risks involved with the treatments. He was always positive and told us that if this specific treatment didn’t work, we would adjust and take the next step. Lucky for us, Clomid worked on the 1st cycle after some initial testing!...Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen. I still have his drawings for his explanations of our treatments. Amazing!
They [RBA - Atl Pied] were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over....[nursing staff] They kept us well informed and communicated via telephone and email, which was very helpful...he nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Do not hesitate. Schedule an appointment now to be referred!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
The nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen. I still have his drawings for his explanations of our treatments. Amazing!
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Low dosage of Clomid with an injection- can’t recall the exact name of the injection
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
$60 copay per visit
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Robert Straub

2014 - 2018, Successful
Dr Brahma has tremendous empathy and a compassionate bedside manner. She did not sugar coat or over promise results, but was balanced and honest.... I would never have chosen the course of infertility, but knowing Dr Brahma as a result was the silver lining. Her compassionate and wise care changed everything for my husband d and me. We are forever thankful for her intellectual brilliance and her loving bedside manner.... Typical egg retrieval and transfer of tested, frozen embryos.
RBA has changed a lot and their corporate administration has gotten disorganized. You have to be your own advocate and stay on top of your protocols, procedures and paperwork. Still have a very strong lab... I would never have chosen the course of infertility, but knowing Dr Brahma as a result was the silver lining. Her compassionate and wise care changed everything for my husband d and me. We are forever thankful for her intellectual brilliance and her loving bedside manner.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Don’t wait to go see her!
Typical egg retrieval and transfer of tested, frozen embryos. She was wise to encourage me not to wait too long when I was scared to try IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary Koelbel, Crystal Alcantara)
Very well trained t Dr Brahma
$25k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Just occasional miscommunication from how RBA has changed

1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr. Brahma] is amazing! But I would highly recommended her to anyone who wants a compassionate and effective fertility doctor. ... She was caring and sympathetic which was appreciated for this type of treatment. ... Wonderful and I have recommended her to multiple friends. ... I have heard she has recently left RBA and is consulting although I am not sure where? ... Take notes.
I was at Piedmont [RBA] satellite office which was quiet and usually I was the only patient in there. I went to the main office a few times for retrieval etc and it was very busy. Billing office was easy to communicate with. They gave detailed invoices. ... Great communication , she [nurse] responded to my emails within the hour every time. ... $20k [cost of treatment] ... Take notes.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Wonderful and I have recommended her to multiple friends. She is amazing! I have heard she has recently left RBA and is consulting although I am not sure where? But I would highly recommended her to anyone who wants a compassionate and effective fertility doctor.
Take notes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Great communication , she responded to my emails within the hour every time.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I was at Piedmont satellite office which was quiet and usually I was the only patient in there. I went to the main office a few times for retrieval etc and it was very busy. Billing office was easy to communicate with. They gave detailed invoices.
$20k

2013 - 2019, Successful
Be prepared to wait for your initial appointment, but he [Dr. Toledo] is worth the wait...suspected that we were getting "bad eggs" (resulting in the chemical pregnancies), and he therefore recommended pre-implantation genetic screening to screen for embryos with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. He also suggested ICSI to directly inject the sperm into the egg. We did our first and only retrieval in November 2013, and came away with 9 eggs, 8 fertilized, and 7 made it to day 5, at which point they froze and biopsied all of them for genetic screening.
Megan and Lisa were my primary nurses during my IUIs, egg retrieval, and first transfer [at RBA]. They were both wonderful and responded to all of my emails quickly... For IVF, we used a financing plan that totaled approximately $22,000, but included 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles (and the benefit stops after a successful pregnancy). We only ended up needing one of each, so we probably overpaid...The parking is also kind of expensive, so I would recommend carpooling with your significant other for appointments so you don't have to pay two parking fees.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has a wonderful bedside manner. He is friendly and personable and has been doing this a long time. It takes a long time to get into see him, but there's a reason for it. You won't be sad you waited an extra few weeks. Some of his explanations are technical, but for the most part, he explains things in terms non-medical people can understand. He will take as much time as he needs with patients for consultations - I think those are booked in one hour blocks, just so he doesn't have to get to another patient. I think we spent one hour with him in our initial consult (not including exams, bloodwork, and meeting with the nurses before and after). He answers questions patiently and is happy to take follow up calls. Once we had decided to go forward with IVF, I had questions about the drugs and injections I was prescribed, and I was able to get on the phone with him personally within a couple of days to get answers from him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Be prepared to wait for your initial appointment, but he is worth the wait. And have a list of questions ready to go and be prepared to take notes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most kind and caring doctor I've ever had. He has a wonderful bedside manner. Every time we have been back to see him, he remembers us, our kids, and things we like to do. When we did our egg retrieval, we got fewer eggs than we expected, and he let me cry on his shoulder when I found out.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We started with IUI on Femara. (I had been prescribed Clomid and timed intercourse with my OB/GYN but that had not worked, so we moved onto Femara.) Each IUI cycle also included a trigger shot 12 hours before the first insemination, and then 24 hours, there was a second insemination. The first IUI cycle was negative, so they changed the timing of my progesterone. The second attempted IUI did not make it to insemination because I did not get any follicles, so they reversed on the progesterone timing. The second and third IUI were identical in terms of medications, and both resulted in chemical pregnancies. My beta with the second IUI stalled at just below 50, and the beta with the third IUI barely made it above 10. Dr. Toledo did give us the option after the second failed IUI to start IVF, but we elected to try one more. After the third failed IUI, we were told our best option was to proceed with IVF. We had a whole lot of bloodwork done (on both me and my husband) and a meeting with a genetic counselor. Dr. Toledo suspected that we were getting "bad eggs" (resulting in the chemical pregnancies), and he therefore recommended pre-implantation genetic screening to screen for embryos with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. He also suggested ICSI to directly inject the sperm into the egg. We did our first and only retrieval in November 2013, and came away with 9 eggs, 8 fertilized, and 7 made it to day 5, at which point they froze and biopsied all of them for genetic screening. I was on Bravelle and Menopur at the lowest doses recommended (I believe 2 injections of each, each day) because I have PCOS and they were worried about overstimulating. We then stopped the medication since we would be doing a fresh transfer. We ended up with 4 genetically normal embryos, and planned to transfer one of them in January. For the transfer, I was placed on birth control to level off my hormones and then put on estrogen (patches) and progesterone (suppositories) on the first day of the transfer cycle, which I was on till the pregnancy reached 12 weeks. (They will normally wean you off these starting at 8 weeks when the placenta has taken over, but I was traveling around week 10 and was being extra cautious, so they let me stay on it till 12 weeks, when I started seeing my regular OB/GYN). The transfer took place on day 20 of my cycle, and Dr. Toledo did the transfer himself. We got a positive pregnancy test, and that baby is now almost 4.5 years old. Dr. Toledo also did an "uterine scratch test" at the beginning of the cycle, which has shown increased pregnancy rates. We did a second frozen transfer in October 2016 with the same protocol and steps as our first frozen transfer, but Dr. Toledo did do an HSG test to make sure my uterus was still in good shape (no fibroids, cysts, etc.) It was all clear, and one of his colleagues did the second transfer. That baby is now 1.5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Megan, Lisa, and Krista)
Megan and Lisa were my primary nurses during my IUIs, egg retrieval, and first transfer. They were both wonderful and responded to all of my emails quickly. I did not have as much interaction with Krista because I treated there for a relatively short period of time with my second transfer (Megan and Lisa had both left by then), but she was always kind, called promptly with lab results, and answered emails quickly too.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Toledo's assistant - Melissa - is amazing and returns calls quickly. The front office staff, particularly Mary Ellen, is a delight and calls you by name when she sees you come in. They do have a policy that no children are allowed, which I appreciated as a patient before we had our girls and respected as a patient who has had two successful pregnancies. If you are bringing in new babies to meet Dr. Toledo, they ask you to wait across the elevator bank, just so you do not upset couples who have not yet had successful pregnancies. The only complaint I had about the clinic was their financial/accounting people. They often tried to bill us for things we hadn't had done, and one lady was particularly insensitive when I had to check out after I'd found out we wouldn't be able to go forward with the second planned IUI. The parking is also kind of expensive, so I would recommend carpooling with your significant other for appointments so you don't have to pay two parking fees.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
The IUIs cost around $1500 ($500 per insemination, plus ultrasound monitoring and meds). For IVF, we used a financing plan that totaled approximately $22,000, but included 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles (and the benefit stops after a successful pregnancy). We only ended up needing one of each, so we probably overpaid. We were told when we went back for our second transfer that they had changed the program such that we could have used the funds leftover after our first successful transfer to put toward the second transfer. Medications for the egg retrieval were probably in the neighborhood of $4,000 to $5,000, most of it being out of pocket. My husband changed insurance plans for our second transfer, which had an allowance for fertility coverage, and it cost us approximately $600 or $700 out of pocket (including meds) . I think the frozen transfer without insurance would have been around $3000.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo was strongly in favor of a single embryo transfer - I was 31 and 34 at the time of both my transfers - and he did not see a reason to consider a multiple embryo transfer at my age. Given our circumstances, we also had a very good chance of one working (and those odds only increased with two), and he reminded us that twins is twice the cost at the same time (two daycare payments, two college tuitions, two of all the baby gear, etc.).
Sandy Springs

Dr. Shapiro took the time to meet with my husband and I for an hour to discuss our specific situation and the best options. He was attentive and addressed out questions and concerns...He went over our medical history and was very realistic as to our situation. He was not overly optimistic but was also not discouraging. He offered concrete a strategies to address and potential back up plans...He went over our medical history and was very realistic as to our situation. He was not overly optimistic but was also not discouraging. He offered concrete a strategies to address and potential back up plans.
Everyone was really great at the clinic [RBA]! They were kind, compassionate and encouraging. My main issues was that it was very hard to reach someone fast or directly. I found that on a couple of occasions they did not seem to have my tests stored in an organized manner and seemed to not even know they were available...$14,100 for IVF...The office was always neat, clean and I never had to wait long to get my bloodwork our ultrasounds. The staff was very pleasant and encouraging. I did find that they were a bit disorganized with their paperwork and my test results. It was also very hard to reach someone directly and in an expedient manner.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I would highly recommend a consultation!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
My diagnosis was multifaceted- very low AMH, ovarian resistance and possibly poor egg quality due to my age (40). We went directly into IVF starting on the 1st day of my period with a relatively high dose of medications. Unfortunately my follicles did not respond to the hormone stimulation and we decided to cancel the cycle. On our follow-up appointment, we decided to attempt another round of IVF but starting the hormone injections 15 days prior to the start of my period. This decision was based on the fact that I had enough follicles, just not enough of them grew.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Everyone was really great at the clinic! They were kind, compassionate and encouraging. My main issues was that it was very hard to reach someone fast or directly. I found that on a couple of occasions they did not seem to have my tests stored in an organized manner and seemed to not even know they were available.
$14,100 for IVF
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
I really liked Dr. Shapiro's thought process behind choices like these and found myself in agreement with his suggestions.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Overall, I had a great experience with him [Dr. Daniel Shapiro]....He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment...He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He took the time to get to know me. I ran into him outside the office and he knew and said hi to me.
Strengths [at RBA] - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time...Some nurses were better than others. Some acted as though they hadn’t read my charts and I was practically telling them what to do. Some understand my case and advised accordingly...I showed up once for a midcycle ultrasound, and the ultrasound person said they had me down for a baseline
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Overall, I had a great experience with him. My first 2 pregnancies everything went according to his plan and I got pregnant very quickly. We are trying for our 3rd, with the same plan as before, and are having an insanely hard time getting pregnant. It is frustrating because to him, this is normal and is unexplained infertility, but knowing I got pregnant so easily the first two times makes this even harder. He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment.
I took Femara for each cycle, along with Progesterone shots, ovidril to trigger ovulation, and IUI
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time.
One IUI cycle including medicine was between $2,500-$3,000

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Shapiro spent so much time with us discussing every aspect of our treatment plan. We expected someone as busy as him to rush us through the initial conversation, but he took his time and made sure every single one of our questions was answered. He was blunt in a way I appreciated and never seemed condescending or like he was judging our questions.
It’s a giant practice [RBA] - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Very knowledgeable about what seemed like our very specific set of circumstances, which I think speaks to his overall expertise. He made us feel comfortable discussing topics we hadn’t discussed with anyone else yet. Most importantly he eased a lot of the concerns I had about whether or not it was even possible for me to use my eggs in our course of treatment. The only weakness I’d say we’ve encountered is that it took awhile to get the initial appointment-approx. 6 weeks - but we were lucky to have the time to wait.
Come in prepared with all your questions, he’ll have the time to answer them. Be willing to be open about exactly what your expectations are with him so he can set realistic goals for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
There was some initial confusion with the care coordinator on exactly what types of tests and blood work needed ordered for my first few appointments. But every other nurse in the office always worked extremely hard to get it sorted out when I was there. Everyone has been very responsive to emails and questions and we’ve never had trouble getting in touch with anyone.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a giant practice - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
He only does single embryo transfer - something we were ok with.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
During the initial bloodwork and ultrasounds there was an instance of the care coordinator ordering the wrong ultrasound and ordering the bloodwork twice. It was frustrating in the moment but the nurse assigned to me that day was incredibly helpful about getting it all sorted out.
Sandy Springs

Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring...He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided...immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks...has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE...He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program [at RBA]. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k...The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices...I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo got to know my husband and I as individuals and not just patients. He wanted to know about our stresses in life, occupations, how our journey had been. Our first appointment was an open dialogue about what we had experienced. I was certain he would push IVF from the start. Isn’t that what they do at a reproductive clinic? To our surprise, he didn’t. After several appointments and honest conversations with Dr. Toledo we have decided to pursue IVF. I’m confident he has the hope that we do.
Come prepared. Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring. I predicted that I had a thyroid problem so I pulled blood labs from three years back (non related to fertility). He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided.
Dr. Toledo has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE. With a troubling and disappointing 2018, we scheduled and appointment with Toledo. He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I had four unrelated individuals recommend his name to me, so when our appointment day came I felt as though I was meeting a celebrity. Toledo sat with my husband and I and went page by page over our history. He was so compassionate and thorough. We left with a renewed sense of hope and peace. Every appointment since has been better then the last. Being in his care as where we are supposed to be.
Dr Toledo immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks. He ordered another sonohysterogram. I had one done a year before with my OBGYN but he wanted to run one again. I can’t even begin to explain how easy that procedure was at RBA compared to my first. The ladies at RBA explained that that was something they do daily whereas an OBGYN might know how to do it but they don’t practice it that often. Dr. Toledo also ordered a few tests on my husband so we could have the most current information. He then sat down with us and went through everything, thoroughly explained our options, and gave us his opinion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
At RBA we work with the same staff from the beginning to the end. Dr. Toledo has an admin who scheduled our first consultation and has always been available for general question. Then there is a separate young lady to go through our protocol, next medical steps, consents, etc... Tay is his financial contact. She had a separate meeting with us to talk solely about financing, insurance, and drug costs. We have also met a team of nurses and his medical assistant who have guided us through everything at this point. We feel like we are in really good hands.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices. I live in the city but work about an hour north. I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k. The program lasts for two years or one live birth, whichever comes first. If this does not happen you get the majority of your money back. If you choose to leave the program you also get the majority of your money back. We looked at all options and financially this made the most sense. It’s a great program and we are lucky to be in it!
Sandy Springs

Doctor Toledo was very personable and even shared his own journey doing IVF. He was very casual and confident in this working for us....My AMH showed that my egg storage was on the lower end of normal, the protocol that I was put on was 600 unit gonl-f and Lupron. With an HCG trigger shot. I did this for about 2 weeks.... He likes to only transfer one at a time because it is more beneficial for a full term pregnancy.
From the moment you walk in [to RBA], you are greeted with a smile. We got called back quickly and efficiently most of the time. The only thing I would say is that maybe more exact instructions for egg retrieval and procedures. Sometimes we get a little confused. But we were always able to email the nurses to ask questions so that helped. One thing I wish they would change is that they should validate parking. We are already paying enough for treatment without having to pay for that every time also.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
We signed up as another doctors patient, by the time we were ready to start the cycle we had found out that our doctor had left the practice. We were heartbroken! We were back to square 1. We then decided on doctor Toledo. He was very informative and eased our nerves when we first met him. He put us on a strong protocol. Which we were unsure about, but the outcome was good! So we were happy with that.
Book your appointment sooner than later, it takes a while to get your first consult.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennilyn and Lindsey )
They were all really wonderful. Especially Jennilyn. She always shows so much enthusiasm and excitement during this process. We always felt like we were welcomed like we were family.
Describe your experience with RBA.
From the moment you walk in, you are greeted with a smile. We got called back quickly and efficiently most of the time. The only thing I would say is that maybe more exact instructions for egg retrieval and procedures. Sometimes we get a little confused. But we were always able to email the nurses to ask questions so that helped. One thing I wish they would change is that they should validate parking. We are already paying enough for treatment without having to pay for that every time also.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Because of the aggressive treatment, the medication cost was about 5000, our deposit amount for the treatment was 5700. And then the FET cycle meds I have not purchased yet.
He likes to only transfer one at a time because it is more beneficial for a full term pregnancy. He said twin pregnancies are tough and more likely to not carry to term
Sandy Springs

I felt like a human because I was petrified going in. I am a bigger girl and there is A LOT of bias against obese women trying to get pregnant. Dr. Shapiro addressed it directly which was totally appropriate but also very gently and respectfully.... Dr. Shapiro will only transfer ONE embryo at a time. His reasoning for this is that it does not really increase liklihood of implantation versus multiple pregnancy outcome and complications associated with same. I would like to transfer more than one if available as I am hoping one round of IVF will be enough but I understand his rationale and I like him so much I would rather stay with him, even with his one embryo approach.
Strengths of this clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] would be getting patients in to see the doctor quickly, waiting room time is short, front desk staff are kind and friendly and responsive to needs while keeping confidentiality a main concern. I have not really seen any weaknesses, we have always been accomodated, even last minute....Both nurses (Kelly and Diana) are responsive, kind and compassionate. They alternate working the phone and seeing patients in the office but it is so comforting to k lnow that you are seeing or talking to one or the other.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is sensitive and caring and made us feel as if we were family, which i suppose you are to a degree when you conceive with his expertise and guidance! Dr. Shapiro explained the whole process overall and then explained our case with our factors specifically. He is laid back, very funny and you leave with a sense if being in good capable hands.
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Shapiro is to not be worried about what he may say to you. I was so nervous because I felt like the only obese person to walk in there but he was so respectful and kind. He really looks at the whole picture and does not judge his patients. You can feel secure knowing he has your best i terests and outcomes at heart.
In my treatment we did four rounds of IUI Dec 2018-March 2019. Protocol for treatment was an ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle to check ovaries and lining of uterus; Femara on days 5-9 of my cycle, testing for peak LH (Lutenizing Hormone) and since I never received a peak we did another ultrasound around day 14 to see if my follicles were ready to release an egg. HCG trigger shot was given to induce ovulation when egg was ready and insemination followed two days later.i would then have to wait two weeks to take a pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly and Diana)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths of this clinic would be getting patients in to see the doctor quickly, waiting room time is short, front desk staff are kind and friendly and responsive to needs while keeping confidentiality a main concern. I have not really seen any weaknesses, we have always been accomodated, even last minute.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance and our out of pocket costs for IUI was about $400 each IUI including medications, ultrasounds, and insemination.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Shapiro is flexible and can tailor treatment plans that work best for you! I am terrible with shots so during the transfers I was able to do a crinone gel instead of progesterone shots everyday!...my endometrial lining wasn’t where we wanted it to be on day 10 so we increased the estradiol orally and vaginally...was very upfront with us and would let us decide whether to transfer multiple embryos or not. My first transfer he recommended one as I had unexplained infertility so we wanted to see if that took - and it did! On the second we did the same given the success of the first!
They are really efficient once you are a patient! Since you need to be in the clinic so often, you don’t want to wait 30 mins just to get blood drawn (like my previous clinic). RBA is great with this, always prompt and communicate very well on the process...The clinic is so well run that you are never left in the waiting room for more than 15 minutes while the “number” of other patients walked in...There has been turnover in the nursing and support staff. This is one pain point with the clinic. My experience this time around was much better than previously and Dr Shapiro was honest with us letting us know that the nursing staff is fairly new but learning everything quickly.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr Shapiro is very knowledgeable in his field. He can over explain certain things but that only makes you feel more confident in the plan going forward. He properly assesses the pros and cons of each situation and let’s you and your partner make a decision.
Be knowledgeable walking in and have somewhat of a plan as to the outcome you want and timeframe. Dr Shapiro is flexible and can tailor treatment plans that work best for you! I am terrible with shots so during the transfers I was able to do a crinone gel instead of progesterone shots everyday!
I was on estradiol, baby aspirin and crinone for both embryo transfers. On the second, my endometrial lining wasn’t where we wanted it to be on day 10 so we increased the estradiol orally and vaginally.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Thankfully IVF is covered under our insurance for this clinic. Egg retrieval + embryo transfer came to about $3,000. The latest embryo transfer was $900!
Dr Shapiro was very upfront with us and would let us decide whether to transfer multiple embryos or not. My first transfer he recommended one as I had unexplained infertility so we wanted to see if that took - and it did! On the second we did the same given the success of the first!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
In 2016 (different nursing staff then now), it was a mess trying to get prescriptions ordered to start my egg retrieval process- super stressful!
Sandy Springs

I always came away from my appointments [with Dr. Daniel Shapiro] knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people...When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
The procedure costs [at RBA] are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed...The clinic runs pretty efficiently. I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes, at the longest, for my appointments. I've never had trouble with scheduling. The receptionists are friendly and know me by name. The same is true for the billing team. You definitely feel like the whole clinic is rooting for you.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro does not mince words. I always came away from my appointments knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people. For instance, he actually gave me his family's recipe for latkes (hand written) when he found out I was planning to include the dish over the holidays. When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
Don't expect him to sugar coat information, whether good or bad. He is supportive and compassionate, but also direct in his delivery.
Dr. Shapiro has always been optimistic, but realistic throughout our testing and treatment process. I always feel like he's giving me the time I need to talk through options and get all my questions answered. He never pushes us toward a treatment plan we're not comfortable with or interested in. We also greatly appreciate his sense of humor, especially during the stressful moments.
I went to see Dr. Shapiro for secondary infertility. After laparoscopic surgery I was diagnosed with mild endometriosis. Given that I had a previous pregnancy, my AMH was high and there were no male factor issues, he recommended IUI with Clomid. The first cycle produced one follicle and didn't result in a pregnancy. The second cycle produced three follicles, my husband's sperm sample was 84M, and resulted in a pregnancy. I actually had a consult midway through my second cycle requesting to skip a third and move directly to IVF. Dr. Shapiro was so confident in the progression of my second cycle he told me that he felt fairly confident it would end in pregnancy, which it did. I did miscarry at 5 weeks, unfortunately, but the IUI was a success. I'm now waiting for my regular cycle to return and a consultation with Dr. Shapiro before proceeding to my next treatment option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I'm lucky enough to work for a company that provides fertility benefits, so I paid little out of pocket. The procedure costs are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed.
2013 - 2019, Successful
Scott Slayden takes an extraordinary amount of time with his patients. He listens, he talks with you as an informed patient who has a huge stake in their treatment, he offers up different solutions and paths to consider, and, above all, he is kind, compassionate, and caring while not sugar-coating the truth of the situation. He delivers news in a gentle, straightforward manner that gives you hope while also keeping a grasp on the reality of the difficult circumstances.
Their [RBA] absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I recommend Dr. Slayden every chance I get. He is very smart, up on the latest news, trends, and treatments, but not afraid to reach back to something tried-and-true if it might help the patient. I was a patient with a lot of complications, that kept getting worse. He was always kind, encouraging, helpful, and compassionate. More importantly, he is EXCELLENT at his job. He seems to enjoy the challenge of a patient who is not cookie-cutter and he has an amazing success rate. He is willing to go outside the box, willing to listen to patient’s ideas, will discuss different options at length, and will fight for a patient to have success. He stuck with us when other doctors may have given up or told us to stop trying. We regularly thank God for him. I recommended him to my best friend after she had failed attempts with an out-of-state clinic. I believed in his care so absolutely that I convinced her to travel to see him. And it was the right decision that resulted in a beautiful baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Even if you don’t live locally to his office, it is more than worth it to travel to be under his care. He is very willing to manage out-of-state patients. He is worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I had had a failed fresh transfer cycle at another clinic and transferred to Dr. Slayden upon the recommendation of several friends who had had success with him. He recommended being strategic and aggressive with getting the most eggs and embryos possible, as quickly as possible. I had a very low ovarian reserve and had only 4 eggs retrieved at my first cycle with the first clinic, with a failed transfer of the one resulting embryo. He wanted to back-to-back retrieval rounds to get as many embryos as possible, freeze them, and then do a frozen transfer when my body was as ready as possible. We did that, got many more embryos, and then did a day-3 transfer that resulted in a pregnancy that unfortunately later miscarried. While my body healed from the miscarriage, we did another retrieval and froze all embryos to add more to the “bank”. We did another frozen transfer but my lining wouldn’t prep correctly, so we cancelled that, and he tried multiple rounds of different therapies and medications to help get my lining to respond. We attempted a “natural” transfer with a frozen embryo, timing it to my body’s cycle. That resulted in a good lining, but a chemical pregnancy. We took a break, attempted another frozen embryo transfer with a natural cycle and got our miracle boy. We had 3 more frozen transfers after him, all with “natural” protocols that times it to my body’s cycle (which doesn’t always work with the lab’s schedule, or our schedule, and we had to try different cycles before they would line up, but Slayden was willing to go that extra mile to get us our babies). That resulted in our daughter, and current healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
All of RBA staff are kind and compassionate, take time with their patients, and have genuine joy and heartache for you. I have not had a single bad experience.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Their absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Over $100,000 because of multiple rounds of IVF, frozen transfers, surgeries, etc.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro has a very goofy sense of humor, he really likes Star Wars and makes references that make me laugh when I feel stressed out. He is incredibly knowledgeable and we are so grateful for that...He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options...I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)... only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples...
Cossandra is the care coordinator [at RBA] and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me...[Monitoring] Felt like a pretty well-oiled machine. Bloodwork usually first and then the ultrasound...Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself...The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. You come to him for answers and he gives them to you. You should not get your feelings hurt when any doctor is giving you additional information related to what you already know.
From the initial consultation, Dr. Shapiro asked us how we pictured our family to look down the road. He was trying his best to get us into the baby guaranteed program but I produced more eggs than he was predicting. He reassured us the whole way.
So I was supposed to do a medicated IUI with LDHCG and GonalF but on CD 9 I had my bloodwork/ultrasound appointment and lucky enough for me, we couldn't almost 8 mature follicles. Unfortunately, that meant the IUI was too high risk and we converted our plan to IVF with a retrieval just days later. Triggered with HCG and although I did feel pretty terrible for about 5 days after retrievable, I felt better after that and I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Diana)
My primary nurse was Diana and she's very nice but sometimes didn't get the warmest feeling from her. I'm sure she's incredibly over worked given how popular Dr. Shapiro is but I guess from the nurses stand point I was hoping for a warmer feeling. Cossandra is the care coordinator and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me. I had to have some paperwork filled out for work to make sure I didn't get fired for the time off I had to take and she make sure everything was handled.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself. I wish it was a little bit cheaper obviously but no problems! The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
Without the cost of medications, about $23,000
Dr. Shapiro and his clinic only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
One time, one of the other nurses advised me that my follicles were bigger than they actually were. No biggie but I did get a little prematurely excited.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. ... Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. ... We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear).
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. ... Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden is pretty easy going and gives patients room to make their own decisions in most cases unrelated to safety. He also was compassionate when delivering bad news or change or plans during a treatment cycle. Some of the information comes at you pretty fast so be sure to take notes and do your own research!
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. Make sure to weigh each option before starting treatment.
After going to another top clinic in Atlanta where we felt like a number we were pleasantly surprised by RBA. Although my initial doctor left the clinic midway through the year Dr. Slayden picked up right where she left off and continued treatment.
We started with Dr. Slayden right from egg retrieval. We followed the plan set out by my initial doctor which he agreed with. Stimming was rather uneventful as I was only on Gonal-f and ganirelix towards the end and triggered with lupron. From that cycle we ended up with 11 genetically normal embryos. We met with the doctor to discuss plans for an FET and created a plan about a moth after egg retrieval. I started on the course of medicines prescribed (lupron, estrogen patches) but on lining check day my lining was still quite thin a week out from scheduled transfer. Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. While extremely disappointed we agreed and were able to get the surgery scheduled within a week. We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear). We transferred at the end of November and I am currently a week away from my second trimester. Can’t thank Dr. Slayden enough for letting us make informed decisions along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie Bean )
Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in. I think we will probably miss her the most! All the other nursing staff and coordinators were lovely as well.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. Now they are very prompt with appointments and answering calls back. I still never felt like a number here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
At RBA at the time a full cycle of IVF was about $14,000 not including medications and a frozen transfer was about $4000 not including medications.
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
For my age and number of embryos we were both pretty adamant about transferring one. I had done my own research and was uninterested in doing more than one embryo. Dr. Slayden and I agreed and the discussion around this topic was minimal.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs

Dr Shapiro was very direct- which my husband and I appreciated. He was clear in our treatment and was quick to adjust our treatment so that I didn't have to abandon our cycle. There were points in our treatment that I felt frustrated how many times I had to go into the office but looking back I am glad I was monitored so closely and it led to success.... have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own.
The phone system is a little bit complicated. You have to call and leave a VM and wait for someone to get back to you. I understand this approach but there were times that waiting for the return call was very stressful. The office staff and billing teams were friendly and easy to work with...I was treated very well while going to RBA. The doctors and the office staff were responsive and kind when communicating about treatment.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you are looking for a doctor who is warm and fuzzy Dr. Shapiro might not be for you. If you want direct, quick and sort of quirky Dr. Shapiro is right for you!
I have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own. That cycle did not work. The second cycle I was given Provera and clomid and then injections of Follistim. I was monitored very closely on the Follistim, ultra sounds and blood work every 2 days (at the time this was very overwhelming) but we were able to closely track my cycle and determine the best time for IUI which in my case was cycle day 23. My cycle was successful. In hindsight all the appointments were 100% worth it and I appreciated Dr. Shapiro's attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly & Kelly)
Overall the nursing staff was great. There was some minor confusion at the start of my cycle but it was quickly resolved and my treatment did not need to be changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance so it was mostly covered.
Sandy Springs

I feel like Shapiro genuinely cares about getting you pregnant, and not by doing it the most expensive way possible. Unlike our old RE, he didn’t think we needed IVF based solely one one low number (2% morphology) on my husband’s SA. He talked about completely different possibilities of what could be preventing us from getting pregnant that my old RE never even remotely explored. He spent almost 2 hours in our consultation and goes into great detail when explaining things. He’s very smart, and a little hard to keep up with at times, but you get the sense that he genuinely wants you to understand. I enjoy listening to him, and wish I could have seen him at all of my appointments. I could probably talk about infertility with him for hours. He seems passionate about what he does, and he cares about helping you.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don’t be afraid to ask him questions if you don’t understand something. Sometimes he can explain things to you as if you were another doctor he’s speaking to, but don’t let that intimidate you. He’s just very smart, and seems to really like talking about infertility. Have questions ready in case he spends a lot of time on one subject, that you forget you wanted to ask him something else. He’s very humorous as well and likes to joke, which totally took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the times I got to speak with him.
At the initial consultation with Shapiro, he spent almost 2 hours with us. He really seems to enjoy explaining things and going into great detail, and I really appreciate that. I didn’t feel like he wanted to rush us out of there at all. He genuinely wanted to be talking to us I think, or else he wouldn’t have spent so much time.
He believed there might be an egg quality issue, and that oral medication (Femara) with IUI isn’t enough for me. He had me do a low dose HCG injection lead in for egg quality (started day 15 of the cycle before the cycle with the IUI). This continued up until trigger shot. I then started 75 IU of Gonal F in the next cycle on days 8-12. Ovidrel was used for trigger, then the IUI was scheduled for 36 hours later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Fristensky )
Majority of communication with the nurse is done via email which I was fine with. She was pretty quick to respond which was nice. I had a rough start with her, as I couldn’t get a call back. But then I quickly realized email was my best bet. She doesn’t elaborate a lot in emails, or go into much detail, but I assume that’s because she’s busy. Dealing with her in person wasn’t as pleasant as I got the sense she was in a hurry and trying to rush me through my appointments with her after my ultrasounds. That’s something I cannot stand. I drove over 2 hours for every appointment, only to be rushed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time. I will say that the major drawback about this clinic, and one that has made me reconsider using them for future treatments is that I was told both my consultation and my SHG would be covered by insurance. I was only required to pay my $40 copay for the consultation, and that $287 was my portion of the SHG. My insurance covers testing, and every consultation I had with my old RE was covered. But because of the diagnosis code (female infertility not specified) that RBA is using on these claims, my insurance is denying them. I was never told that the diagnosis code might prevent them from being covered. I’ve asked them to please use a code that doesn’t indicate infertility like my old clinic did, but they’re refusing to. This really upset me considering I had my insurance verified by them, and they told me these two things would be covered, but now they’re coding them in a way to keep them from being covered. I’m not asking them to commit fraud, there are a lot of other valid codes that could be used. It really makes me reconsider using them again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We ended spending about $2500 for one IUI with injectables - that included all appointments, blood work before cycle and during, medications, and IUI ($600 by itself). But now we probably owe $500 or more due my insurance claims being denied that they told me would be covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They failed to tell me that even though my insurance covers the consultation and SHG, that it may not be covered depending on the diagnosis code used on the claim.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor.... the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options.... I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer.
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I went in for what I thought was a Endometrial scratching. I asked the doctor who was about to complete this if he had taken a look at my latest ultra sound. He was unaware as the nurse team didnt double check and sent me in the doctors office to complete the scratch. I mentioned this to the doctor and he talked to the nurse team and decided he wanted to do an Hysterosalpingogram - HSG. I was fine with this as he double checked before conducting my scratch but at the same time I already completed one of these in July at my other clinic where the doctor saw the fibroid/polyp. RBA had these documents but didnt do much with it. Overall this was a frustrating appointment.