Cumming
(404)665-5722
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

I always came away from my appointments [with Dr. Daniel Shapiro] knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people...When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
The procedure costs [at RBA] are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed...The clinic runs pretty efficiently. I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes, at the longest, for my appointments. I've never had trouble with scheduling. The receptionists are friendly and know me by name. The same is true for the billing team. You definitely feel like the whole clinic is rooting for you.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro does not mince words. I always came away from my appointments knowing exactly what to expect, the probability of success and the potential risk. He creates a warm environment, often infused with humor. He gets to know his patients as people. For instance, he actually gave me his family's recipe for latkes (hand written) when he found out I was planning to include the dish over the holidays. When we miscarried after a second round IUI he sat with us for as long as we needed. He gave me a hug (after asking permission) and walked us out the backdoor, so we wouldn't have to go out through reception. I highly recommend working with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don't expect him to sugar coat information, whether good or bad. He is supportive and compassionate, but also direct in his delivery.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro has always been optimistic, but realistic throughout our testing and treatment process. I always feel like he's giving me the time I need to talk through options and get all my questions answered. He never pushes us toward a treatment plan we're not comfortable with or interested in. We also greatly appreciate his sense of humor, especially during the stressful moments.
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I went to see Dr. Shapiro for secondary infertility. After laparoscopic surgery I was diagnosed with mild endometriosis. Given that I had a previous pregnancy, my AMH was high and there were no male factor issues, he recommended IUI with Clomid. The first cycle produced one follicle and didn't result in a pregnancy. The second cycle produced three follicles, my husband's sperm sample was 84M, and resulted in a pregnancy. I actually had a consult midway through my second cycle requesting to skip a third and move directly to IVF. Dr. Shapiro was so confident in the progression of my second cycle he told me that he felt fairly confident it would end in pregnancy, which it did. I did miscarry at 5 weeks, unfortunately, but the IUI was a success. I'm now waiting for my regular cycle to return and a consultation with Dr. Shapiro before proceeding to my next treatment option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I'm lucky enough to work for a company that provides fertility benefits, so I paid little out of pocket. The procedure costs are comparable to other Atlanta facilities. I know there are payment options available, as needed.
2013 - 2019, Successful
Scott Slayden takes an extraordinary amount of time with his patients. He listens, he talks with you as an informed patient who has a huge stake in their treatment, he offers up different solutions and paths to consider, and, above all, he is kind, compassionate, and caring while not sugar-coating the truth of the situation. He delivers news in a gentle, straightforward manner that gives you hope while also keeping a grasp on the reality of the difficult circumstances.
Their [RBA] absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I recommend Dr. Slayden every chance I get. He is very smart, up on the latest news, trends, and treatments, but not afraid to reach back to something tried-and-true if it might help the patient. I was a patient with a lot of complications, that kept getting worse. He was always kind, encouraging, helpful, and compassionate. More importantly, he is EXCELLENT at his job. He seems to enjoy the challenge of a patient who is not cookie-cutter and he has an amazing success rate. He is willing to go outside the box, willing to listen to patient’s ideas, will discuss different options at length, and will fight for a patient to have success. He stuck with us when other doctors may have given up or told us to stop trying. We regularly thank God for him. I recommended him to my best friend after she had failed attempts with an out-of-state clinic. I believed in his care so absolutely that I convinced her to travel to see him. And it was the right decision that resulted in a beautiful baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Even if you don’t live locally to his office, it is more than worth it to travel to be under his care. He is very willing to manage out-of-state patients. He is worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I had had a failed fresh transfer cycle at another clinic and transferred to Dr. Slayden upon the recommendation of several friends who had had success with him. He recommended being strategic and aggressive with getting the most eggs and embryos possible, as quickly as possible. I had a very low ovarian reserve and had only 4 eggs retrieved at my first cycle with the first clinic, with a failed transfer of the one resulting embryo. He wanted to back-to-back retrieval rounds to get as many embryos as possible, freeze them, and then do a frozen transfer when my body was as ready as possible. We did that, got many more embryos, and then did a day-3 transfer that resulted in a pregnancy that unfortunately later miscarried. While my body healed from the miscarriage, we did another retrieval and froze all embryos to add more to the “bank”. We did another frozen transfer but my lining wouldn’t prep correctly, so we cancelled that, and he tried multiple rounds of different therapies and medications to help get my lining to respond. We attempted a “natural” transfer with a frozen embryo, timing it to my body’s cycle. That resulted in a good lining, but a chemical pregnancy. We took a break, attempted another frozen embryo transfer with a natural cycle and got our miracle boy. We had 3 more frozen transfers after him, all with “natural” protocols that times it to my body’s cycle (which doesn’t always work with the lab’s schedule, or our schedule, and we had to try different cycles before they would line up, but Slayden was willing to go that extra mile to get us our babies). That resulted in our daughter, and current healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
All of RBA staff are kind and compassionate, take time with their patients, and have genuine joy and heartache for you. I have not had a single bad experience.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Their absolute strength is the excellence of the embryo lab and it’s director, Dr. Nagy. It is world-class and has incredible results. Their multiple Atlanta-area locations are also a big plus. They are very willing to coordinate care with out-of-state patients. At one point, I was out-of-state and they were willing to have me do as much of the testing and monitoring possible with my local Dr before traveling to be seen at their location. During retrieval rounds this helped a lot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Over $100,000 because of multiple rounds of IVF, frozen transfers, surgeries, etc.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro has a very goofy sense of humor, he really likes Star Wars and makes references that make me laugh when I feel stressed out. He is incredibly knowledgeable and we are so grateful for that...He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options...I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)... only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples...
Cossandra is the care coordinator [at RBA] and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me...[Monitoring] Felt like a pretty well-oiled machine. Bloodwork usually first and then the ultrasound...Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself...The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He can be more on the blunt side when it comes to diagnosing you and giving you your options but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. You come to him for answers and he gives them to you. You should not get your feelings hurt when any doctor is giving you additional information related to what you already know.
From the initial consultation, Dr. Shapiro asked us how we pictured our family to look down the road. He was trying his best to get us into the baby guaranteed program but I produced more eggs than he was predicting. He reassured us the whole way.
So I was supposed to do a medicated IUI with LDHCG and GonalF but on CD 9 I had my bloodwork/ultrasound appointment and lucky enough for me, we couldn't almost 8 mature follicles. Unfortunately, that meant the IUI was too high risk and we converted our plan to IVF with a retrieval just days later. Triggered with HCG and although I did feel pretty terrible for about 5 days after retrievable, I felt better after that and I'm grateful for what we retrieved (19!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Diana)
My primary nurse was Diana and she's very nice but sometimes didn't get the warmest feeling from her. I'm sure she's incredibly over worked given how popular Dr. Shapiro is but I guess from the nurses stand point I was hoping for a warmer feeling. Cossandra is the care coordinator and I really like her! Although you do have to wait for a return call, I find it easiest just to shoot her an email and she gets right back to me. I had to have some paperwork filled out for work to make sure I didn't get fired for the time off I had to take and she make sure everything was handled.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Overall I have no complaints about the clinic itself. I wish it was a little bit cheaper obviously but no problems! The billing department was probably the most friendly department I was able to speak with, aside from the surgery staff.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
Without the cost of medications, about $23,000
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Shapiro and his clinic only transfer one embryo at a time due to risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
One time, one of the other nurses advised me that my follicles were bigger than they actually were. No biggie but I did get a little prematurely excited.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. ... Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. ... We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear).
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. ... Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden is pretty easy going and gives patients room to make their own decisions in most cases unrelated to safety. He also was compassionate when delivering bad news or change or plans during a treatment cycle. Some of the information comes at you pretty fast so be sure to take notes and do your own research!
Dr. Slayden will give you a lot of information about pros and cons but will also give you the wiggle room to decide. Make sure to weigh each option before starting treatment.
After going to another top clinic in Atlanta where we felt like a number we were pleasantly surprised by RBA. Although my initial doctor left the clinic midway through the year Dr. Slayden picked up right where she left off and continued treatment.
We started with Dr. Slayden right from egg retrieval. We followed the plan set out by my initial doctor which he agreed with. Stimming was rather uneventful as I was only on Gonal-f and ganirelix towards the end and triggered with lupron. From that cycle we ended up with 11 genetically normal embryos. We met with the doctor to discuss plans for an FET and created a plan about a moth after egg retrieval. I started on the course of medicines prescribed (lupron, estrogen patches) but on lining check day my lining was still quite thin a week out from scheduled transfer. Dr Slayden called me personally and explained why he wanted to cancel the cycle and do a hysteroscopy before proceeding just to make sure nothing in my uterus was preventing my lining from thickening after having a D&C earlier in the year. While extremely disappointed we agreed and were able to get the surgery scheduled within a week. We were able to start the new more intense FET protocol the next day after surgery (uterus was all clear). We transferred at the end of November and I am currently a week away from my second trimester. Can’t thank Dr. Slayden enough for letting us make informed decisions along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie Bean )
Lacie Bean at the Marietta office was the best when it came to treatment, compassion, and answers. She was always there with a smile and a good story whenever we would come in. I think we will probably miss her the most! All the other nursing staff and coordinators were lovely as well.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA went through a tough time in 2018 with a few doctors and staff turning over midway through the year. There was some initial confusion during the transition but I never felt my care was lacking during those few weeks. Now they are very prompt with appointments and answering calls back. I still never felt like a number here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
At RBA at the time a full cycle of IVF was about $14,000 not including medications and a frozen transfer was about $4000 not including medications.
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
For my age and number of embryos we were both pretty adamant about transferring one. I had done my own research and was uninterested in doing more than one embryo. Dr. Slayden and I agreed and the discussion around this topic was minimal.
Scott Slayden
Sandy Springs

Dr Shapiro was very direct- which my husband and I appreciated. He was clear in our treatment and was quick to adjust our treatment so that I didn't have to abandon our cycle. There were points in our treatment that I felt frustrated how many times I had to go into the office but looking back I am glad I was monitored so closely and it led to success.... have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own.
The phone system is a little bit complicated. You have to call and leave a VM and wait for someone to get back to you. I understand this approach but there were times that waiting for the return call was very stressful. The office staff and billing teams were friendly and easy to work with...I was treated very well while going to RBA. The doctors and the office staff were responsive and kind when communicating about treatment.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you are looking for a doctor who is warm and fuzzy Dr. Shapiro might not be for you. If you want direct, quick and sort of quirky Dr. Shapiro is right for you!
I have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own. That cycle did not work. The second cycle I was given Provera and clomid and then injections of Follistim. I was monitored very closely on the Follistim, ultra sounds and blood work every 2 days (at the time this was very overwhelming) but we were able to closely track my cycle and determine the best time for IUI which in my case was cycle day 23. My cycle was successful. In hindsight all the appointments were 100% worth it and I appreciated Dr. Shapiro's attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly & Kelly)
Overall the nursing staff was great. There was some minor confusion at the start of my cycle but it was quickly resolved and my treatment did not need to be changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance so it was mostly covered.
Sandy Springs

I feel like Shapiro genuinely cares about getting you pregnant, and not by doing it the most expensive way possible. Unlike our old RE, he didn’t think we needed IVF based solely one one low number (2% morphology) on my husband’s SA. He talked about completely different possibilities of what could be preventing us from getting pregnant that my old RE never even remotely explored. He spent almost 2 hours in our consultation and goes into great detail when explaining things. He’s very smart, and a little hard to keep up with at times, but you get the sense that he genuinely wants you to understand. I enjoy listening to him, and wish I could have seen him at all of my appointments. I could probably talk about infertility with him for hours. He seems passionate about what he does, and he cares about helping you.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don’t be afraid to ask him questions if you don’t understand something. Sometimes he can explain things to you as if you were another doctor he’s speaking to, but don’t let that intimidate you. He’s just very smart, and seems to really like talking about infertility. Have questions ready in case he spends a lot of time on one subject, that you forget you wanted to ask him something else. He’s very humorous as well and likes to joke, which totally took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the times I got to speak with him.
At the initial consultation with Shapiro, he spent almost 2 hours with us. He really seems to enjoy explaining things and going into great detail, and I really appreciate that. I didn’t feel like he wanted to rush us out of there at all. He genuinely wanted to be talking to us I think, or else he wouldn’t have spent so much time.
He believed there might be an egg quality issue, and that oral medication (Femara) with IUI isn’t enough for me. He had me do a low dose HCG injection lead in for egg quality (started day 15 of the cycle before the cycle with the IUI). This continued up until trigger shot. I then started 75 IU of Gonal F in the next cycle on days 8-12. Ovidrel was used for trigger, then the IUI was scheduled for 36 hours later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Fristensky )
Majority of communication with the nurse is done via email which I was fine with. She was pretty quick to respond which was nice. I had a rough start with her, as I couldn’t get a call back. But then I quickly realized email was my best bet. She doesn’t elaborate a lot in emails, or go into much detail, but I assume that’s because she’s busy. Dealing with her in person wasn’t as pleasant as I got the sense she was in a hurry and trying to rush me through my appointments with her after my ultrasounds. That’s something I cannot stand. I drove over 2 hours for every appointment, only to be rushed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time. I will say that the major drawback about this clinic, and one that has made me reconsider using them for future treatments is that I was told both my consultation and my SHG would be covered by insurance. I was only required to pay my $40 copay for the consultation, and that $287 was my portion of the SHG. My insurance covers testing, and every consultation I had with my old RE was covered. But because of the diagnosis code (female infertility not specified) that RBA is using on these claims, my insurance is denying them. I was never told that the diagnosis code might prevent them from being covered. I’ve asked them to please use a code that doesn’t indicate infertility like my old clinic did, but they’re refusing to. This really upset me considering I had my insurance verified by them, and they told me these two things would be covered, but now they’re coding them in a way to keep them from being covered. I’m not asking them to commit fraud, there are a lot of other valid codes that could be used. It really makes me reconsider using them again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We ended spending about $2500 for one IUI with injectables - that included all appointments, blood work before cycle and during, medications, and IUI ($600 by itself). But now we probably owe $500 or more due my insurance claims being denied that they told me would be covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They failed to tell me that even though my insurance covers the consultation and SHG, that it may not be covered depending on the diagnosis code used on the claim.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor.... the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options.... I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer.
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I went in for what I thought was a Endometrial scratching. I asked the doctor who was about to complete this if he had taken a look at my latest ultra sound. He was unaware as the nurse team didnt double check and sent me in the doctors office to complete the scratch. I mentioned this to the doctor and he talked to the nurse team and decided he wanted to do an Hysterosalpingogram - HSG. I was fine with this as he double checked before conducting my scratch but at the same time I already completed one of these in July at my other clinic where the doctor saw the fibroid/polyp. RBA had these documents but didnt do much with it. Overall this was a frustrating appointment.
Sandy Springs

She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] is very sweet and reassuring of the process...Dr. Brahma is very compassionate and knowledgeable. I feel like some extra communication could have been better for example I did not realized that eggs were graded and actually asked afterwards and then was explained... I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic [RBA] but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me...Approximately $14k for the retrieval process. Then an additional cost of a choice of $4k for one embryo transfer or $6500 for multiple transfers up to a live birth. The second round cost was unexpected and not communicated until it was necessary. I was not able to have My medications ordered until everything was paid upfront.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Be prepared to be very persistent and knowledgeable on the subject yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma is great! She is very sweet and reassuring of the process. The process in general in regards to the office and getting people to call you back and give you all the details you need was less than great. I felt like I had to be on top of all phone calls and calling and or emailing several times in order to get an answer.
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was on the highest dosage of meds for the egg retrieval and wasn’t expected to result in many eggs as my AMH was a .42. My egg retrieval was the highest dosages of Lupron and Follistim. The Lupron gave me migraines. Although the 2nd transfer using it maybe my body adjusted as I didn’t have the headaches like the first two times. I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5. With Estrogen and Progesterone. My first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The embryo started to implant but ultimately did not. All my levels were perfect and everything should have worked but it didn’t. Additionally after the failed transfer I had a scratch biopsy and was put on antibiotics. My 2nd transfer is scheduled in 10 days. In addition to the medication I have been receiving accupuncture treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Crystal Alcantara)
I felt that they forget we don’t know the process of what is happening. There are some things you don’t know to ask or to do if you aren’t told or haven’t been through this before. Some vital information was not effectively communicated.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Again educate yourself on the process, ask a lot of questions,Take notes and be prepared to be the squeaky wheel. They should have someone on staff just to answer phones and answer questions. Calling and getting someone on the phone is an act of God. Most times I would have to call and email and call again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
At first I really wanted to do multiple embryos in the transfer. Due to having a myomectomy in 2014 Dr. Brahma recommended that I only do one at a time due to the potential my uterus may not be able to take getting so enlarged. She also explained that if the uterine environment were to be the cause of a transfer not taking I would most likely lose both embryos in a multiple transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Shapiro] is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him.... I was given instructions to avoid alcohol and hot tubs before and after my IUIs. This prevents a rise in my body temperature potentially putting my inseminations at risk. He put me on an antibiotic to take Agee the IUIs to avoid any potential infection since the uterus is sterile and that barrier was crossed with the IUI process.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office.... There are no weaknesses at RBA. This clinic is wonderful. The office staff, nurses, and doctors simply are amazing. I feel welcome and cared for each time I step in and out of that office. This office has made our process if unexplained infertility much easier with their love and care!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him. He is a contributing factor to my mother in law’s IVF transfer which resulted in the live birth of my husband! He is a wonderful doctor!
Trust him wholeheartedly over any article or research you read, he knows exactly what he is doing.
He gives 100% of his time to his patients. Answers and elaborates on the treatment process. Answers all our questions thoroughly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office. They want my treatment to be a success just as much as I do and they provide me 100% of their time always.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Unexplained infertility is not covered under insurance. We have spent an estimated $5,000 in bloodwork, ultrasounds, IUIs, and consults.
He is the professional when it comes to any and all fertility treatments. Having suffered two miscarriages naturally, now under his care I know he knows what is best for my body and the potential risks that come with multiple transfers. I trust him 100% in his approach to eSET.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Straub is very matter of fact. He doesn’t give any emotional support. He did make a joke at the end of my second appt with him and it was kind of a shock because his personality is so straight forward.... He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot.... We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test
RBA is huge and it is a pretty well oiled machine. The most annoying part for us has been the billing office which took forever to return my calls or emails. Everyone else has been mostly kind. I had one rude person answer the phone but that’s all.... The nurses have been wonderful. They answer all of my questions and put up with my crazy. They tell me of their own personal experiences with IVF. They are quick to respond and always thorough. They made me feel like they cared.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is direct and to the point. He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot. He is not emotionally supportive at all. I cried when he told us ivf was our best option and he pointed to the box of tissues on his desk and kept talking.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Go with this doctor if you want an efficient, smart doctor who will cater to your timeline. Get a therapist elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test and maybe more tests. My husband had to do two semen analyses and ultimately they found male factor infertility was the issue. Due to his numbers ivf using ICSI and a frozen transfer were presented as our best option. We are about to start the egg retrieval process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy C)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
So far we have paid about 13,000 but expect to pay 26 or so for IVF with ICSI.
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He recommended transferring only one embryo for us as it is lower risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
The only issue I had was they wouldn’t call with results as promised. I called every day that the results were expected to come and they would tell me the results but I rarely had them reach out to me.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Toledo is warm and caring. He always comments on things in my life we’ve talked about in the past, I’m sure he doesn’t remember, he probably makes notes and then reviews his notes before our appointments BUT he takes the time to do that. He’s caring and compassionate. When my beta came back negative he called me himself and talked to me while I cried. He’s simply the best.
It’s a big clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs]. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.... Dr. Toledo’s main nurse, Krista, is amazing. She never seemed bothered by my calls or questions and she was kind and compassionate. He had another nurse or assistant, I don’t remember her name, who is also ok, but not quite as warm as Krista. But she wasn’t mean and she got the job done, just not with that warm fuzzy feeling. His NP is also great!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Like I said before, he’s warm and compassionate. He is friendly and funny. He takes the times to answer questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed. When the first plan didn’t work he made a new one. He’s open to things I suggest or ask about.
Write down your questions ahead of time. Write down his answers. Know that once treatment starts you won’t see him frequently but he does look at what’s happening and have his nurse call with the recommendations and changes.
We did a cycle with follistim and ganirelix. I don’t remember dosages but do know that my dose never changed from the starting dose bc I responded well. They retrieved 19 eggs but only 8 were mature. Six fertilized with ICSI and one of the immature eggs did fertilize in the dish overnight. On day 3 the embryos looked good and they pushed me back to a day 5 transfer. On day 5 all the embryos had stalled in the day 4 stage so we transferred 2. Unfortunately, we didn’t get pregnant and the remaining 5 embryos died in the lab the day after transfer.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a big clinic. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We had some insurance coverage so paid a deposit of about $3000 and about $2500 for meds. We also did two IUIs. We submitted one to insurance and maybe paid a couple hundred dollars out of pocket for that but I can’t remember exactly. The second one we paid for ourselves and it was probably about $2-3000
Sandy Springs

Dr. Daniel Shapiro was great at addressing my and my husband's concerns and explaining the details involved for the surgery I had in 2017 to remove my left fallopian tube and clean the adhesions & scar tissue from endometriosis. He also has a great sense of humor, which helped alleviate my anxiety....Dr. Shapiro was very detailed in his explanations and, in particular, explained the next steps needed. He also helped me feel calmer before undergoing surgery. He is a forthright and direct communicator, which I appreciated.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered...For the initial visit, my husband and I met with a nurse practitioner, who was very helpful in answering our questions and who showed compassion. After my surgery, I saw another nurse for the post-op visit, who was good, but not as great as the first nurse was.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Feel comfortable asking questions, even if you think they are minor or irrelevant.
Dr. Shapiro removed my left fallopian tube, which was blocked, and cleaned the adhesions and scar tissue present as a result of stage 3 endometriosis. I did not know I had endometriosis, but I did find that I had a blocked fallopian tube after having done the HSG test. The surgery was necessary to remove the blocked fallopian tube and to diagnose if I had endometriosis.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered; however, I hope this can be worked out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
The surgery I had was around $3-4k, though most was covered by the insurance company. It was less expensive because the clinic has an out-patient facility. The office consultations were $100-$300/visit. The bloodwork was about $300-$900 for my husband and me. Most of these costs were covered by my insurance company, though we did pay money for co-payments and co-insurance. Right now, I have been billed by Lab Corps to cover the lab work done with our initial visit, which should've been covered by the insurance company. I have been in touch with the billing office; however, it has not yet been resolved. RBA needs to resubmit the claim with the diagnosis code that will be covered by the insurance company. The billing office person said they've had several of these returned claims and are working on handling them. However, this has been the most frustrating part of the process so far.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo always addressed us by our names and has a great bedside manner. He understands how hard this process is and is upfront but also compassionate. ... We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again. ... He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff [RBA] were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well. ... I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was upfront when things were not going as well as expected. He laid out a clear plan of what our next steps were and provided us with sound and logical information. He always was kind and open to discussion regarding what we were comfortable with.
He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way. He is also very open to what your wants and needs are and bases his recommendations on that information.
We decided based on how many embryos were produced if we were going to genetically test them or not. If there were 3 or less embryos, we were not going to test them and take our chances. We ended up with 2 embryos so we did not test them and transferred 1 embryo in July 2018 that resulted in pregnancy and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Looking back I wished I had gone ahead with genetic testing. We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were easy to reach via email or by calling. I had a few nurses who responded, mainly 2 that seem to work for Dr. Toledo. I would not say the nurses are very compassionate but they answer your questions and communicate to Dr. Toledo as needed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
$14000 for first egg retrieval, additional 6-8K for meds, $4k for transfer.
Dr. Toledo and my husband and I decided for eSET due to the fact we have had a previous successful pregnancy (my 2 year old) and that multiples for me could be high risk since I am a petite person and complications could be high if I had multiples. Also we discussed that we knew we wanted 1 more child, but we were not sure if we wanted a total of 3 children.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4. However, my husband and I were both certain they told us the 0.4 number.
Sandy Springs
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. ... Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process.
RBA is at the cutting edge of research in the field....but there is still no consistent use of any type of electronic medical record systems. Everything is sent through secure email or by phone. If you travel between offices your physical records are transferred by carrier - keep this in mind if you get bloodwork at a different location than your care team is located - it can cause a delay.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. Before being able to start treatment I ended up pregnant with what ended up being a molar pregnancy. Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process. After my HCG hit negative we were able to begin preliminary testing for an egg retrieval cycle with protocol suggested. This was as far we got before she left the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
She is no longer practicing at this clinic but if you find her at another clinic she is amazing! The best choice of doctor in the Atlanta area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best always had the perfect balance of compassion and scientific facts to back up her reasoning.
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
For treatment of Molar pregnancy I had a next day D&C followed by weekly blood draws until my HCG hit negative followed by monthly negatives for six months to ensure HCG did not rise again. We also performed an SHG and routine genetic testing as well as infectious disease screening before starting an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Nursing staff was always quick and efficient in answering calls and emails.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Brahma is soft spokDr. Brahma is soft spoken and will answer any question asked. She can move through the material quickly as I'm sure she has many patients to get to and this material is routine for her. She was clear in her concerns at the beginning. We met with her twice in person and once by phone for the entire cycle process beginning to end...every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
I felt as if they [RBA - Sandy Springs] forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process...I was on the highest dosage of medication allowed as my AMH is low and 'egg age is older then my biological age'. We built a probe through Cooper Genomics for PGS and PGD testing to look for cystic fibrosis.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Take notes and when you are unsure what she is saying speak up, right then, to ask her to elaborate. Also, every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
Dr. Brahma has 2 nurses that are responsible for responding to emails re: concerns, treatment plan and follow up plans... Both are very nice and prompt to respond. However, we never received proper training for injection administration and/or location. We were told the pharmacy would do that to which the pharmacy said they do not do that anymore, so we were left to learn off of videos on YouTube. Looking back now I should have messaged RBA to say "They won't teach us, when would you like for us to come in for you to show us how?" Feeling like a number: We did our transfer 2 weeks before Christmas so right around the Christmas is when I needed to do my bloodwork to confirm pregnancy. Because we were traveling I went to an offsite 3rd party facility who ended up taking 4 days to send it the results (should have been next day). No one at RBA seemed concerned when I would call to ask if they had received results, which was very disappointing. I wish someone would have lit a fire under the 3rd party company to send results but RBA seemed to only feel it their responsibility to merely wait until the company sent (in their own time)... Then after 'regular hours' were established again Dr Brahma said 'Yes, quite often they do not get us the results next day." That was infuriating to hear this was common and no-one mentioned it to me when I told them I would be going to a 3rd party location as I have to believe we would have changed our travel plans. Feeling like a number: Often when orders would be sent or a plan put in place there would not be much explanation on the details of that plan. I felt as if they forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process. Feeling like a human: Dr. Brahma has an amazingly kind disposition. She is soft spoken and quick to acknowledge any concerns or worries presented. She will reach out to fellow practitioners if she has a question. Meetings with her were clear and we left feeling like she cared about us and the outcome.
Crystal (and Caitlin) were overall quick to respond to questions we had and also share protocol plans. Be mindful that any communication over major holidays the communication is very very delayed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They are familiar with IVF for reasons other then infertility, ie: avoiding specific genetic diagnosis. The billing/financial department is not helpful at ALL in determining what the out of pocket cost will be to the family. they will give you a price breakdown sheet but that is it. We were left on our own to call insurance and see what/ if anything they would cover. RBA will not bill insurance for anything if you do not have an IVF policy so it will be on you to request reimbursement. The cost of how much IVF will be is literally one of the hardest items to nail down.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We built a probe through Cooper Genomics to PGS and PGD testing for cystic fibrosis. The cost for that was $4,500 and $1000 for up to 8 embryos. The probe is kept to be used for any additional cycles/embryos. Medication was ~$5300 Single transfer was $4500 Multiple transfers (until a live birth) was $6000 (The is PER retrieval) Overall we gathered our out of pocket costs to be $35,000. Ours was more because of the extra genetic testing and lack of insurance paying. There is no discount for paying cash for a cycle.
She stated that single embryo transfers are more successful so multiple transfers were not common in their facility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Results arrived over a holiday and it took extra time for anyone to reach out to us from the clinic to relay that.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Amy was great. The best way to contact her was through the email portal. She usually replied within a maximum of a couple of hours. She answered all my questions and concerns as well as helped me make sure all my records came in from my other physicians...My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications...I liked the initial presentation that I was able to attend on a Saturday morning. It was a good presentation to introduce prospective patients to the clinic, procedures, and some of their doctors and staff. I never had a problem contacting the main office via phone or email. I also never waited more than 10-15 minutes for them to call me back for an appointment.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
The first time I met with Dr. Straub, he was compassionate yet blunt. Blunt due to the issues my age may play a role in success of any fertility procedures. I understood that. The last time I met with him was after the failure of my procedure. He was extremely encouraging, as my body did everything it was supposed to do to prepare with the help of the fertility drugs and we had a great looking embryo. It was the "flip of a coin", as he put it, whether the pregnancy would happen. Because everything set up so perfectly, he is completely on my side in taking 1 more chance.
He's a good guy. You can't go wrong choosing him to be your physician.
I have some medical issues, and Dr. Straub took those into account and required each of my physicians to "sign off" on me getting pregnant. He wanted to be very sure everyone on my "team" was on the same page. When I saw him post-treatment (that did not work), I felt like he was completely "on my side". I had anticipated trying this one time, but he was very encouraging as everything went as planned except that the embryo did not result in a pregnancy. We are in the process of deciding to move ahead with another try.
I started with Lupron injections. Then, patches and internal suppositories were added. These were simply to control my cycle and prepare my uterus. I was lucky as I had no apparent side-effects of any of the medications. The results were excellent as my uterus did everything it was supposed to do in the expected time frames.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerejewski)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications. Insurance covered the cost of the initial consultation and the FemView (maybe?).
We never discussed multiple embryo transfer. I'm not sure that is even a consideration due to my age.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by.... If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words.... After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF.
The clinic [RBA - Sandy Springs] in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes.... The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names and gave us the warmest greeting. He is extremely attentive and will spend all the time we need at each appointment we had with him. We have never felt rushed and always felt very comfortable asking any questions we might've had for him while he was always very graceful answering all of them. He is one giving soul who takes mission trips often, dedicated his time to much research and is an amazing world of knowledge, and I wish all medical professionals had the same attitude about their patients, as it means so much to us, especially in case with fertility treatment us patients get very vulnerable and experiencing so many new emotions. If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words. So having such qualities as kindness, attentiveness, being highly knowledgeable in the sphere, having fine bed-side manners, and a great sense of humor, make an outstanding medical professional in my book! Hands down Dr. Shapiro is on top of the list for me!
Trust him he is one great fertility specialist!
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names, remembered our story and gave us the warmest greeting and spent a lot of time with us at our each visit with him.
Given that my husband and I are both healthy and have no reason to not be able to conceive on our own, Dr. Shapiro first recommended to go with IUI, and try it a few times before we consider IVF. He seemed very rational and considered of our situation and always tried to be very frank and honest with us. Never have we ever felt that he is not invested in our journey. It always seemed that he is also concerned with our financials as well, since he mentioned that IVF is a very costly treatment and lets stay away from it as we can. After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF. Dr. Shapiro was very supportive of that. Every time along the way whether it was IUI or IVF he was extremely informative, has had multiple consultations with us to make sure every detail is covered. At the current moment we are kind of half way in IVF treatment, and only yesterday I had the eggs extracted for fertilization. Once again the preparation period, including ultrasounds, blood work, genetic consultation, nurse consultations and more, was great and made us feel that we do have a fantastic team of professionals that are guiding us and "thinking for us' to some degree which was a very comforting feeling since it al was very foreign to us. So the path to the surgery was not as draining as I was expecting and have heard it would be from outside parties, online research, etc. and again the reason being that I was very well informed and guided and felt a lot of support from my doctor whom I trust and his team. He had assured me that I would have great response to the medications / shots I was using leading to the egg retrieval and that was the case. He was pretty excited on the day of the procedure to inform me with the outcome. Aside the psychological burden we experience as patients, the process was very well orchestrated and organized which relieved me of so much stress. Dr. Shapiro has so far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend him in a heart beat!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! Very informative, caring and ready to help. They all seem very well trained and great professionals. They are very prompt returning phone calls which in this process could be extreme;y sensitive matter. I do not recall them ever not returning my call, falling short on answering my questions and were extremely patient and pleasant throughout the process. In the past month or so most of his staff members have become more like friends that I get to see on almost daily basis. It is amazing as I walk down the hall everyone knows my name and my treatment and it makes it easy to attend knowing how pleasant they all are and ready to help. The nurses are also making sure to let you know how excited they are for you and wish you the best outcome! Its another much needed support team :)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes. Multiple times I had to come in during the weekend for appointments and those were scheduled and handled very well which saved me lots of worries. The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. When I just became a patient at the clinic I was very unhappy with that. I felt that it was very important for someone to actually answer the phone when patients call. Later my attitude about that had changed, and because they never failed to called me back. Another part where I was a little stressed is when the business center (again in my opinion) were not very clear on the treatment payment/cost. I had to speak with multiple finance people until I was given a clear explanation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was given a range of 25-30,000 for the IVF treatment.
Dr. Shapiro had mentioned to us that many patients do in fact transfer multiple embryos for many different reasons. We did not feel that he was steering us to one or the other direction and what he did is inform us of all the potential results / consequences of a multiple embryo vs. single embryo transfer. After he had heard our story and realized our situation he was very much focused on our personal situation and our needs.
Sandy Springs
[RBA] Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly!.. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions...I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Shapiro, there was an instant connection. He treated us like real people. Real people going through a not so great time in our lives. We never felt rushed to leave the office when talking with him. He always made sure that we knew the course of action being taken and why. If there was something I or my husband didn't understand, he would explain it again in a different way. If something didn't work to his liking, he'd tweak the protocol. If he was stumped as to why we couldn't get pregnant, he would schedule an appointment with us, bring food, and make sure we went through everything with a fine toothed comb. He'd even text or call to check on us during retrievals, after transfers, or while waiting to things to happen. My experience with Dr. Shapiro has been one of the best when dealing with a doctor.
Trust him. He knows what he's doing!
The moment I walked in, there was always a smiling face to welcome me. The staff know my name, know about our last conversations we had, gave hugs when news wasn't always the best, hugs when news was good, always positive, and always concerned with feelings and emotions.
For the retrievals, I was put on Gonal F, low dose HCG, and Lupron. Each was tweaked after each round to try and get the best possible number of eggs. For the transfers, Estrace, Crinone, and estrogen patches were used each time. After each failed transfer, the protocol was also tweaked. Part of this was due to my having a thin lining. With the tweaking, my uterine lining continued to thicken each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: 1) Ashely 2) Jennifer 3) Tamika)
I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would. In the office, they would spend as much time as needed with us to go over protocols and questions. They too, are always compassionate! I know I'm not just a number to them, but a human being when I meet with them. They truly want to get to know you and they don't mind you getting to know them. It feels like my favorite place when I am with them.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly! They will talk about their lives and open up if you chose to open up about your life. They know you by name and face. They are always respectful, kind, and compassionate. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions. Weaknesses: there was a time when the group was changing ownership. During this period, things were a little rocky. However, when we stated our concerns, things were dealt with immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Our insurance did not provide payment for services. The cycles cost around $14,000 and embryo freezing/genetic testing cost around $2000 for a package, unlimited for 6 mo. I believe. This has also changed a bit since new ownership.
None. Completely trusted him.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Best was always very thorough and friendly. She had excellent bedside manner and seemed to want the best. My only negative was sometimes the plan was not communicated effectively and I was unsure exactly what was happening with my eggs after retrieval. There was a necessary change in our plan, but I wasnt informed of the plan until I was in pre-op for egg removal which made it very stressful.
The clinic [RBA] is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring....The nursing stahh was nice and caring. They explained things well and were quick to update with lab results and plan changes....The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Be upfront with your concerns and needs and she will try her best to accommodate you.
My treatment was personalize to my needs and she seemed genuine in her care and treatment of my infertility.
We did egg retrieval with a frozen day 5 transfer. 10 eggs were fertilized, 5 frozen at day 1 and 5 grown to day 5. Only one embryo survived. I was unable to do a fresh transfer due to hyperstimulation. The embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very organized and competent. The business office can be hard to communicate with due to call volume and they can be unfriendly. Nurses and front office staff are always pleasant and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
The ivf was around 5000, medications about 6000, and sperm donation was about 1000. Office visits were about 1000 out of pocket.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
She encouraged a transfer of 1. There wasnt an option for 2 due to only one embryo surviving but i was educated on why they prefer only 1 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They was a change in plan due to hyperstimulation. I was unaware i would be doing a frozen tranfer or that my eggs would be frozen until i was in pre-op for egg removal. I had been told a fresh tranfer up until that point which made me confused and nervous since i didnt know the plan.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Daniel Shapiro] prescribed me to 3 cycle of monitored timed intercourse with letrozole. I did that but didn't get pregnant. Next option is to do IUI if I choose to, but I decide to go straight to IVF due to the fact with he won't change my medication to injectable due to high risk of multiple.... I usually see a PA when I come in for my monitored time intercourse. I like her, she is easy to talk to and answer all my questions.
The clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs] is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I've Dr. twice. The first time was the initial consultation, he described his treatment plans to us in an effective way. The second time I met with the Dr., I express my incline to move forward to IVF after 3 failed letrozole cycles, he did went over the procedure and the types of medications that I will be on. After the appointment, he told me to contact the clinic when my period starts or when I want to start IVF cycle.
He is receptive to your opinion about the treatment plan, so do your own research and tell him how to proceed with the plan
There is no follow up with the Dr. Mostly it is up to you to call and request a treatment
He prescribed me to 3 cycle of monitored timed intercourse with letrozole. I did that but didn't get pregnant. Next option is to do IUI if I choose to, but I decide to go straight to IVF due to the fact with he won't change my medication to injectable due to high risk of multiple. So right now, I'm waiting for my period to start to do IVF, the treatment for IVF is: minimal dose of FSH, and ganirelex for about 10-12 days with monitor. I will be trigger with either HGC or Lupron, more likely Lupron since it has a lower risk of ovarian hyperstimulation. If it is Lupron trigger, then we will do a FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nina)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Every is out-of-pocket for me. It is around $600 for a cycle with monitor. This consists of the first Ultrasound in the beginning of your cycle, blood work. Then you have another mid cycle ultrasound to determine if you are near ovulation.
He will do a simple embryo transfer because the clinic has a high success with it.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Toledo] seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications....He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation.
They [RBA - Atl Main] were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.... My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
He seemed like a well vetted doctor who was current on his knowledge. He was a good listener, efficient, and concerned with the the things we mentioned as concerns. It seems like he's really honed his craft. He and his wife used the clinic themselves which helped make him relatable.
Don't wait. Modern medicine is a beautiful thing. Dr. Toledo can help you conceive.
He seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications.
He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation. A baby aspirin per day through the first trimester. Continued metformin and thyroid hormone supplementation. Trigger shot if needed to stimulate egg release. If all that failed he would move to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Necy (sp?))
My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day. That was a bit stressful but ultimately because of my flexibility I didn't need to wait another cycle for the test.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Not cheap and not covered by insurance mostly.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Robert Straub] is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time...Expect the appointment to be more of a no nonsense business discussion. His bedside manner in not all warm and touchy...I feel like Dr. Straub took the time and our emails were always responded to in a timely manner. However due to scheduling and the size of RBA Dr. Straub has yet to complete one of our procedures.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment [at RBA]. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by...IUI was $1,500; IVF with PGS was $13,830; unlimited FETs (until we bring home a baby) was $6,500...Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable. They get you in and out of the office quickly so you don't have to wait and miss too much time at work...In preparation for the frozen transfer I was prescribed Progesterone in Oil (sesame). I administered the shot the first evening and was up all night with a high fever. I called the office the next morning and the nurse I spoke to stated it couldn't be caused by the medication and I was just sick. Take Tylenol and go to my PCP if I don't feel better by the end of the day. I wasn't happy with that response so I emailed my nurse directly and asked if I could switch to crinone. She emailed back after discussing with Dr. Straub and agreed to call in the new rx. However, they both agreed that the fever wasn't caused by the medication and I still needed to take one more dose to piggy back the new medication that evening. Again that evening I had a fever again, I took Tylenol and was fine. The next 2 evenings I only used the crinone (using it 2x a day) and have not had a fever since.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time.
We did one round of IUI with Clomid at 50mg. We had a low response to this and learned of MFI. We switched to IVF and I took Gonal-F 150 and Ganirelix. We had 27 eggs retrieved, 26 were mature, 22 fertilized (ICSI and conventional), 15 embryos made it to 5 day blast. We froze all to prevent OHSS. We decided then to do PGS testing and had 6 normal embryos make it out of that. I just went in (today) for my first frozen transfer and now am waiting for the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerajewski)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Best has also had to undergo IVF to have a child, so she shares her own story with her patients and makes them know that she understands their same fears and worries...Dr. Best makes sure she takes time with each patient. She even has a sketch pad that she illustrates exactly what the fertility issues are. It was nice for my husband and I to see from her perspective why we were experiencing infertility and would need IVF.
[RBA's] Strengths: Clean State of the Art Technology and Equipment Kind nurses, technicians, and doctors Weaknesses: Takes a long time to get scheduled Front office staff at Kennestone location is a little unprofessional. Twice when were there for appointments, my husband and I both heard the receptionist talk about another patient with a nurse and complain that she was needy and annoying. It was really embarrassing to think that they might do that to us when we leave after an appointment. I never heard that at the Piedmont location though.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I would have to say that it is difficult to get an initial appointment. We had to wait 3 months for the schedule to open up; however, we are so glad we were patient and waited. She was exactly what we needed in a doctor for our infertility journey.
Dr. Best first listened to everything we had already tried with other doctors. She explained that she wanted to complete some diagnostics of her own to see what was going on. She asked that we both get physicals, and she performed an HSG and an SHG on me. She was able to see that not only do I have uterine fibroids, but I also have hydrosalpinx on my fallopian tubes. She then explained that the fallopian tubes should be removed. We shared our concern to ever conceive on our own, and she listened to us. She shared her medical opinion, and ultimately let us decide our course of treatment. For now, we are going to have the right tube removed and attempt to conceive on our left side with some more fertility drugs, while we attempt to save up for IVF. She was very real about percentages and results experienced in the office with this treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
My nurse, Julie Morin, always communicated back to my husband and me within the business day, either by phone or email encrypted system. She always listened to our concerns, and even went to bat for us at the hospital when they were refusing to complete a test on me, because I was experiencing spotting. She explained that it was fine, and they needed to do the testing. If we hadn't had the test done, we would have had to wait one more cycle to have testing done. We appreciated her being an advocate for us.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I was not covered for any treatment under my insurance. I paid: $250 at inital appointment $98 for second appointment $196 for SHG $1,000 for HSG $121 for consultation meeting Quoted: $14,500 for 1 cycle of IVF and $5,000 for medications.
Dr. Best explained that she would allow us to decide to transfer one or two embryos based on what we were comfortable with. She said she would not transfer more than two at a time, since there are risks with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
After I had my HSG, I was told I would have a nurse call me with the results. After two weeks, I finally called to find out, and they had forgotten to call me. It might not seem like a big deal to them, but to the patient that is trying to get answers, it was very frustrating.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
IVF cycle (freeze all with genetic testing) - approx. $14,000 FET unlimited transfers until live birth - $6500 My medications were about $4000 for IVF and FET but those were not through the clinic (purchased through specialty pharmacies). I also had a hysteroscopy performed by Dr. Toledo. It was approximately $2000 (not covered by insurance)...Dr. Toledo has two nurses. Both are organized and respond extremely quickly to your questions. Usually I receive a response within 10 minutes if I email and about an hour if I have to leave a voicemail. One of his nurses isn't as positive or energetic as I would like but that did not impair my experience (and since Dr. Toledo himself is so optimistic and positive this particular nurse seems to be a real contrast in personality). But my primary nurse, Krista, is phenomenal - very organized and incredibly empathetic. Also Dr. Toledo's assistant, Mellisa, is very friendly and recognizes the emotional toll that this process takes. I also found the ultrasound techs to be very nice and compassionate, especially when I was having a down day during treatment.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has an incredible bedside manner. He really understands what his patients are experiencing emotionally and knows how difficult infertility can be. He made me feel like I was a partner in deciding what treatment options we would pursue. Because my condition turned out to be so unusual (unexplained thin uterine lining that does not respond to hormones/drug therapy and makes carrying a baby highly unlikely) I did a lot of research on my own. I would bring different possible treatments options to Dr. Toledo and we would discuss each one. He made it clear that he was willing to try anything so long as it wasn't dangerous. I also made it clear very early on that it was very important to me that he didn't "sugarcoat" my diagnosis. Dr. Toledo respected my request and always discussed matters with me as an equal - not as a superior. On top of all that, he is a very optimistic person and makes it very clear that he will not give up on you.
Keep a list of questions as they arise and bring them to your meetings with Dr. Toledo. He will answer all of them. Do your research ahead of meeting with him so you can work with him to develop a plan/protocol that is right for you - he is great at creating customized protocols based on your specific needs as a patient. And be your advocate. At one point early on in my treatment I felt like a protocol wasn't right for me and one of the nurses was discounting my concerns. When I spoke with Dr. Toledo he listened to me, understood that I knew my body better, and worked with me to deviate the treatment so it was better suited to my body.
Dr. Toledo is incredibly compassionate. He always makes time to speak with you, even if you don't have an appointment with him or are only in the office for monitoring. If he isn't available in person, he will call you. He remembers all the details about not just your medical treatment but also your personal life. I have no idea how he does it - he must have tons of patients but he treats you like you are the most important patient. I have an incredibly unusual and rare issue and my treatment has not gone as planned. But Dr. Toledo has been very honest an empathetic throughout the entire process.
I had an antagonist protocol for my IVF cycle. I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The doses were very light and this was done because I have PCOS. Dr. Toledo listened to my concerns about the possibility of developing OHSS and monitored me closely to ensure this didn't occur. But I was also concerned about using a Lupron trigger (and not an HCG one) - I had read that eggs may not mature as much with a Lupron trigger. But a Lupron trigger is often used with PCOS patients to lessen the risk of OHSS. Dr. Toledo monitored me carefully and after 10 days of stimming allowed me to trigger with HCG. For my retrieval we had 24 eggs (15 were mature), 14 fertilized, 5 made it to day 5 blasts, and 3 tested normal in PGS. I did not have any complications during or after egg retrieval. Unfortunately I have been unable to transfer any embryos (yet) due to my thing lining. But Dr. Toledo has worked with me to try at least 4 different frozen embryo transfer (FET) protocols to try to develop my lining. None have worked so far but he continues to work with me and present new strategies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The staff is very friendly - much more so than any other place we visited. The receptionist staff is always smiling. The clinic is large but I never felt like a number. I felt like they respected my time and didn't make we wait at appointments. But when I needed to talk to someone they would take the time and never rush me. I had to call the billing department once or twice because there had been an error, which was annoying, but they took care of it as soon as I called.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I have not made it to transfer yet. However, Dr. Toledo has strongly encouraged that if/when I do I transfer just one embryo, particularly because mine are PGS tested. I get the impression that I could push for two and he would consider it but he has not said that (and I only want to transfer one).

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr Brahma is a wonderful doctor, she explains processes in great detail and will listen to all my concerns and answer all my questions. Never have I felt rushed when meeting with her. She takes all the time that I need to make sure I'm comfortable with the information she's provided. An opportunity I feel Dr Brahma could add to her amazing practice would be to consider more protocols. Especially for DOR patients that don't respond to aggressive stims. There has been a lot of new research and she is aware of it but she sticks to standard protocols. I totally get that when its the first round, but after they fail, why not try something new? The other opportunity I see for Dr Brahma would be to consider more alternative therapies. She does agree with acupuncture but not Chinese herbs. She does not agree with using any supplements that may have desiccated organs. She doesn't suggest any dietary changes.
Do your research about whatever you're diagnosed with. As great of a doctor Dr Brahma is, you still have to advocate for yourself. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable. She will answer them and tell you if she agrees with them or if they aren't procedures she would suggest immediately. She is a great listener and provides sound medical advice... Dr Brahma has amazing bedside manner. Her entire team treats me like I'm their only patient. I can easily email them any questions I have and they respond within the day. Brahma greets me with a hug every time we have an appointment together. Her personality and demeanor are the reasons I have not sought out another RE.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Clomid - I ovulated too early then had cysts for months and months after Lupron, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, canceled IVF Estrogen, Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, demanded to proceed and both were retrieved and fertilized. - did not achieve pregnancy HSG - Showed Polyp, had hysteroscopy that removed polyp and endometritis Femara, Follistim, HCG - IUI failed Femara, Follistim - breakthrough bleeding, cycle cancelled Moved on to Donor Egg - Transfer 4/11/17 (next week!)
very organized, great staff
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
25k for an IVF, 18k for Donor Egg. Once I got insurance they filed everything thru them and I did not see the prices