Cumming
(404)665-5722
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

He [Dr. Daniel Shapiro] prescribed me to 3 cycle of monitored timed intercourse with letrozole. I did that but didn't get pregnant. Next option is to do IUI if I choose to, but I decide to go straight to IVF due to the fact with he won't change my medication to injectable due to high risk of multiple.... I usually see a PA when I come in for my monitored time intercourse. I like her, she is easy to talk to and answer all my questions.
The clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs] is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I've Dr. twice. The first time was the initial consultation, he described his treatment plans to us in an effective way. The second time I met with the Dr., I express my incline to move forward to IVF after 3 failed letrozole cycles, he did went over the procedure and the types of medications that I will be on. After the appointment, he told me to contact the clinic when my period starts or when I want to start IVF cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is receptive to your opinion about the treatment plan, so do your own research and tell him how to proceed with the plan
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
There is no follow up with the Dr. Mostly it is up to you to call and request a treatment
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
He prescribed me to 3 cycle of monitored timed intercourse with letrozole. I did that but didn't get pregnant. Next option is to do IUI if I choose to, but I decide to go straight to IVF due to the fact with he won't change my medication to injectable due to high risk of multiple. So right now, I'm waiting for my period to start to do IVF, the treatment for IVF is: minimal dose of FSH, and ganirelex for about 10-12 days with monitor. I will be trigger with either HGC or Lupron, more likely Lupron since it has a lower risk of ovarian hyperstimulation. If it is Lupron trigger, then we will do a FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nina)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is pretty on time with your appointment. The weakness is that it is hard to call them and have someone pick up the phone. Usually I will have to leave my number on the answering machine, but they usually get back to you a couple hour later, in the afternoon. Another thing is that they don't have a patient portal for the lab work, so it is hard to find out unless you give them a call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Every is out-of-pocket for me. It is around $600 for a cycle with monitor. This consists of the first Ultrasound in the beginning of your cycle, blood work. Then you have another mid cycle ultrasound to determine if you are near ovulation.
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He will do a simple embryo transfer because the clinic has a high success with it.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Toledo] seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications....He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation.
They [RBA - Atl Main] were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.... My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
He seemed like a well vetted doctor who was current on his knowledge. He was a good listener, efficient, and concerned with the the things we mentioned as concerns. It seems like he's really honed his craft. He and his wife used the clinic themselves which helped make him relatable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Don't wait. Modern medicine is a beautiful thing. Dr. Toledo can help you conceive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
He seemed to be genuinely interested in our circumstances. He listened and ensured he addressed everything we mentioned. He tailored his plan to our level of urgency in conceiving with consideration for our concerns for complications.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
He suggested some initial investigative work including an HSG, SIS, a semen analysis for my husband, and extensive blood work for both of us including some genetic testing. He recommended 3 rounds of IUI with femara with progesterone supplementation after ovulation. A baby aspirin per day through the first trimester. Continued metformin and thyroid hormone supplementation. Trigger shot if needed to stimulate egg release. If all that failed he would move to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Necy (sp?))
My one complaint is that the care coordinator never answered her phone. You always had to leave a message. There was one instance of a time sensitive test having to be scheduled the same day because I didn't get a call back the previous day. That was a bit stressful but ultimately because of my flexibility I didn't need to wait another cycle for the test.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were prompt with appointments, there was very little waiting. They had well appointed facilities. They had great communication, putting anything pertinent in writing. I liked that they offered patient education events and had a blog for patient education.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Not cheap and not covered by insurance mostly.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Robert Straub] is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time...Expect the appointment to be more of a no nonsense business discussion. His bedside manner in not all warm and touchy...I feel like Dr. Straub took the time and our emails were always responded to in a timely manner. However due to scheduling and the size of RBA Dr. Straub has yet to complete one of our procedures.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment [at RBA]. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by...IUI was $1,500; IVF with PGS was $13,830; unlimited FETs (until we bring home a baby) was $6,500...Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable. They get you in and out of the office quickly so you don't have to wait and miss too much time at work...In preparation for the frozen transfer I was prescribed Progesterone in Oil (sesame). I administered the shot the first evening and was up all night with a high fever. I called the office the next morning and the nurse I spoke to stated it couldn't be caused by the medication and I was just sick. Take Tylenol and go to my PCP if I don't feel better by the end of the day. I wasn't happy with that response so I emailed my nurse directly and asked if I could switch to crinone. She emailed back after discussing with Dr. Straub and agreed to call in the new rx. However, they both agreed that the fever wasn't caused by the medication and I still needed to take one more dose to piggy back the new medication that evening. Again that evening I had a fever again, I took Tylenol and was fine. The next 2 evenings I only used the crinone (using it 2x a day) and have not had a fever since.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very knowledgeable and not afraid to move on to a more aggressive treatment quickly. I feel like our money is well spent and we are not wasting time and money on tests and procedures that are a waste of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We did one round of IUI with Clomid at 50mg. We had a low response to this and learned of MFI. We switched to IVF and I took Gonal-F 150 and Ganirelix. We had 27 eggs retrieved, 26 were mature, 22 fertilized (ICSI and conventional), 15 embryos made it to 5 day blast. We froze all to prevent OHSS. We decided then to do PGS testing and had 6 normal embryos make it out of that. I just went in (today) for my first frozen transfer and now am waiting for the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerajewski)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Can be hard to get a new patient appointment. Once you are in appointments are much easier to come by.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Robert Straub

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Best has also had to undergo IVF to have a child, so she shares her own story with her patients and makes them know that she understands their same fears and worries...Dr. Best makes sure she takes time with each patient. She even has a sketch pad that she illustrates exactly what the fertility issues are. It was nice for my husband and I to see from her perspective why we were experiencing infertility and would need IVF.
[RBA's] Strengths: Clean State of the Art Technology and Equipment Kind nurses, technicians, and doctors Weaknesses: Takes a long time to get scheduled Front office staff at Kennestone location is a little unprofessional. Twice when were there for appointments, my husband and I both heard the receptionist talk about another patient with a nurse and complain that she was needy and annoying. It was really embarrassing to think that they might do that to us when we leave after an appointment. I never heard that at the Piedmont location though.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
I would have to say that it is difficult to get an initial appointment. We had to wait 3 months for the schedule to open up; however, we are so glad we were patient and waited. She was exactly what we needed in a doctor for our infertility journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Dr. Best first listened to everything we had already tried with other doctors. She explained that she wanted to complete some diagnostics of her own to see what was going on. She asked that we both get physicals, and she performed an HSG and an SHG on me. She was able to see that not only do I have uterine fibroids, but I also have hydrosalpinx on my fallopian tubes. She then explained that the fallopian tubes should be removed. We shared our concern to ever conceive on our own, and she listened to us. She shared her medical opinion, and ultimately let us decide our course of treatment. For now, we are going to have the right tube removed and attempt to conceive on our left side with some more fertility drugs, while we attempt to save up for IVF. She was very real about percentages and results experienced in the office with this treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
My nurse, Julie Morin, always communicated back to my husband and me within the business day, either by phone or email encrypted system. She always listened to our concerns, and even went to bat for us at the hospital when they were refusing to complete a test on me, because I was experiencing spotting. She explained that it was fine, and they needed to do the testing. If we hadn't had the test done, we would have had to wait one more cycle to have testing done. We appreciated her being an advocate for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
I was not covered for any treatment under my insurance. I paid: $250 at inital appointment $98 for second appointment $196 for SHG $1,000 for HSG $121 for consultation meeting Quoted: $14,500 for 1 cycle of IVF and $5,000 for medications.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Best explained that she would allow us to decide to transfer one or two embryos based on what we were comfortable with. She said she would not transfer more than two at a time, since there are risks with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
After I had my HSG, I was told I would have a nurse call me with the results. After two weeks, I finally called to find out, and they had forgotten to call me. It might not seem like a big deal to them, but to the patient that is trying to get answers, it was very frustrating.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
IVF cycle (freeze all with genetic testing) - approx. $14,000 FET unlimited transfers until live birth - $6500 My medications were about $4000 for IVF and FET but those were not through the clinic (purchased through specialty pharmacies). I also had a hysteroscopy performed by Dr. Toledo. It was approximately $2000 (not covered by insurance)...Dr. Toledo has two nurses. Both are organized and respond extremely quickly to your questions. Usually I receive a response within 10 minutes if I email and about an hour if I have to leave a voicemail. One of his nurses isn't as positive or energetic as I would like but that did not impair my experience (and since Dr. Toledo himself is so optimistic and positive this particular nurse seems to be a real contrast in personality). But my primary nurse, Krista, is phenomenal - very organized and incredibly empathetic. Also Dr. Toledo's assistant, Mellisa, is very friendly and recognizes the emotional toll that this process takes. I also found the ultrasound techs to be very nice and compassionate, especially when I was having a down day during treatment.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has an incredible bedside manner. He really understands what his patients are experiencing emotionally and knows how difficult infertility can be. He made me feel like I was a partner in deciding what treatment options we would pursue. Because my condition turned out to be so unusual (unexplained thin uterine lining that does not respond to hormones/drug therapy and makes carrying a baby highly unlikely) I did a lot of research on my own. I would bring different possible treatments options to Dr. Toledo and we would discuss each one. He made it clear that he was willing to try anything so long as it wasn't dangerous. I also made it clear very early on that it was very important to me that he didn't "sugarcoat" my diagnosis. Dr. Toledo respected my request and always discussed matters with me as an equal - not as a superior. On top of all that, he is a very optimistic person and makes it very clear that he will not give up on you.
Keep a list of questions as they arise and bring them to your meetings with Dr. Toledo. He will answer all of them. Do your research ahead of meeting with him so you can work with him to develop a plan/protocol that is right for you - he is great at creating customized protocols based on your specific needs as a patient. And be your advocate. At one point early on in my treatment I felt like a protocol wasn't right for me and one of the nurses was discounting my concerns. When I spoke with Dr. Toledo he listened to me, understood that I knew my body better, and worked with me to deviate the treatment so it was better suited to my body.
Dr. Toledo is incredibly compassionate. He always makes time to speak with you, even if you don't have an appointment with him or are only in the office for monitoring. If he isn't available in person, he will call you. He remembers all the details about not just your medical treatment but also your personal life. I have no idea how he does it - he must have tons of patients but he treats you like you are the most important patient. I have an incredibly unusual and rare issue and my treatment has not gone as planned. But Dr. Toledo has been very honest an empathetic throughout the entire process.
I had an antagonist protocol for my IVF cycle. I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The doses were very light and this was done because I have PCOS. Dr. Toledo listened to my concerns about the possibility of developing OHSS and monitored me closely to ensure this didn't occur. But I was also concerned about using a Lupron trigger (and not an HCG one) - I had read that eggs may not mature as much with a Lupron trigger. But a Lupron trigger is often used with PCOS patients to lessen the risk of OHSS. Dr. Toledo monitored me carefully and after 10 days of stimming allowed me to trigger with HCG. For my retrieval we had 24 eggs (15 were mature), 14 fertilized, 5 made it to day 5 blasts, and 3 tested normal in PGS. I did not have any complications during or after egg retrieval. Unfortunately I have been unable to transfer any embryos (yet) due to my thing lining. But Dr. Toledo has worked with me to try at least 4 different frozen embryo transfer (FET) protocols to try to develop my lining. None have worked so far but he continues to work with me and present new strategies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The staff is very friendly - much more so than any other place we visited. The receptionist staff is always smiling. The clinic is large but I never felt like a number. I felt like they respected my time and didn't make we wait at appointments. But when I needed to talk to someone they would take the time and never rush me. I had to call the billing department once or twice because there had been an error, which was annoying, but they took care of it as soon as I called.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I have not made it to transfer yet. However, Dr. Toledo has strongly encouraged that if/when I do I transfer just one embryo, particularly because mine are PGS tested. I get the impression that I could push for two and he would consider it but he has not said that (and I only want to transfer one).

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr Brahma is a wonderful doctor, she explains processes in great detail and will listen to all my concerns and answer all my questions. Never have I felt rushed when meeting with her. She takes all the time that I need to make sure I'm comfortable with the information she's provided. An opportunity I feel Dr Brahma could add to her amazing practice would be to consider more protocols. Especially for DOR patients that don't respond to aggressive stims. There has been a lot of new research and she is aware of it but she sticks to standard protocols. I totally get that when its the first round, but after they fail, why not try something new? The other opportunity I see for Dr Brahma would be to consider more alternative therapies. She does agree with acupuncture but not Chinese herbs. She does not agree with using any supplements that may have desiccated organs. She doesn't suggest any dietary changes.
Do your research about whatever you're diagnosed with. As great of a doctor Dr Brahma is, you still have to advocate for yourself. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable. She will answer them and tell you if she agrees with them or if they aren't procedures she would suggest immediately. She is a great listener and provides sound medical advice... Dr Brahma has amazing bedside manner. Her entire team treats me like I'm their only patient. I can easily email them any questions I have and they respond within the day. Brahma greets me with a hug every time we have an appointment together. Her personality and demeanor are the reasons I have not sought out another RE.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Clomid - I ovulated too early then had cysts for months and months after Lupron, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, canceled IVF Estrogen, Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur - Only had two follicles, demanded to proceed and both were retrieved and fertilized. - did not achieve pregnancy HSG - Showed Polyp, had hysteroscopy that removed polyp and endometritis Femara, Follistim, HCG - IUI failed Femara, Follistim - breakthrough bleeding, cycle cancelled Moved on to Donor Egg - Transfer 4/11/17 (next week!)
very organized, great staff
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
25k for an IVF, 18k for Donor Egg. Once I got insurance they filed everything thru them and I did not see the prices

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Toledo is wonderful. When you are in his office you are his only patient (though he probably has hundreds at any given time). He explains things throughly. The answers questions so that you can understand them. He's patient and compassionate and very easy to talk to...I feel like he genuinely wants us to succeed with every cycle. And he's never pushed me to do something that I wasn't ready to do. We started out very conservatively with my first few cycles and only moved to IVF after all other methods proved unsuccessful...
RBA is a big clinic. Their staff is generally very friendly! I have had many, many positive interactions...Krista is amazing she is so through and responsive. She gets everything done as quickly as possible and is always will to help out and answer questions!...Plan ahead! He can be hard to get in to see. Usually he has a pretty long wait to get an appointment, so plan to schedule your appointment a few months before you actually want to be seen. Make notes or talking points ahead of time and try to think of questions ahead of time to get the most out of your time with him!...
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I can't say enough nice things about Dr. Toledo. I feel so well cared for and my husband also lijrs and trusts him which is really important in the field. I feel like he genuinely wants us to succeed with every cycle. And he's never pushed me to do something that I wasn't ready to do. We started out very conservatively with my first few cycles and only moved to IVF after all other methods proved unsuccessful.
First few cycles were tuned intercourse with femara. Then we moved on to follistim and femara for 1 cycle with timed intercourse. The next month we planned femara + follistim again but we were going to do and IUI. I ended up over responding to the meds that cycle so I was converted to IVF and had a fresh transfer. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we are planning a real IVF cycle next month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista)
2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Best’s bedside manner is INCREDIBLE. At times, infertility is a subject that can be difficult to understand. Dr. Best explained it in the simplilest terms, always made me aware of the next course of treatment/testing, and has done it with a posititivity & patience that I’ve never experienced with any other DOCTOR...Dr. Best had to remove my Fallopian tubes. It was one of the most difficult periods in my life. She was very kind and compassionate about the situation. I had to trust that she knew best. Fast forward to one beautiful toddler and current pregnancy with TWINS! I guess she knew what she was doing! We are forever grateful for her. Not only would we recommend her to others, WE HAVE. We are donating our remaining embryos, and Dr Best will be the doctor.
Dr. Best’s medical team [at RBA Sandy Springs] are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment...50% discount for vets...Their strength is that they are available to their patients, no matter the time. I normally got sad because I knew after I graduated, I wouldn’t receive the same quality of care as RBA. A weakness would be their sudden turnover, and what I feel is a lack of knowledge from the newest employees. I know that the veteran employees have been there long enough to have processes down to a science, but I feel there is a need for a more thorough on board process.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Enjoy the journey, and learn more than your friends know about reproductive health.
Dr. Best’s bedside manner is INCREDIBLE. At times, infertility is a subject that can be difficult to understand. Dr. Best explained it in the simplilest terms, always made me aware of the next course of treatment/testing, and has done it with a posititivity & patience that I’ve never experienced with any other DOCTOR that I’ve patronized (regardless of practice).
For retrieval, Gonal-F, Ganirelix and luepron (for trigger). For both transfers estradiol patches, progesterone oil and low-dose aspirin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Dr. Best’s medical team are awesome! Amanda and Julie were extremely knowledgeable, and always assured me that everything was ok when I felt like I was missing an appointment or a dosage or treatment.
It was great! 50% discount for vets
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro remembers personal information about my life and works with my religious and schedule limits...Dr. Shapiro truly cares. It feels like my disappointments are his disappointments. He wants us to succeed. Even if my dream is not what he would dream for his life he wants to be able to help me get my dream. He is honest and straightforward.
The clinics [RBA] biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee...Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free...Say hello to everyone in the office. When you are nice and friendly, the staff gets to know you. Then you feel like everyone is rooting for you...Dr. Shapiro truly cares. It feels like my disappointments are his disappointments. He wants us to succeed. Even if my dream is not what he would dream for his life he wants to be able to help me get my dream. He is honest and straightforward.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I have a very high AMH with out PCOS. We used 225 Gonal F to stimulate and get as many eggs as possible. The first 2 days I had a somewhat slow response. But then my estrogen started rising very quickly. We decreased the Gonal F to 175 and then down to 50. We had to trigger at day 10 because I already had many big follicles. We used Ganarelix to stop ovulation. I started it on day 4. We did not use Menopur because Dr. Shapiro believes it will decrease the number of eggs without increasing egg quality. We triggered with Lupron 80mg so I would not hyperstimulate. We got 36 eggs, 30 mature, 17 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5. 3 were PGS normal. We did 2 natural FET because I have a perfect uterus with perfect cycles. Both ended in a negative. We did one medicated FET with an endometrial scratch because it couldn't hurt and maybe it would help. And oral estrogen, vaginal cream progesterone, Lupron to stop from ovulating, medrol because it can't hurt and maybe it can help.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinics biggest weakness is their billing system. You rarely know how much something will cost before and seems there is always a hidden fee.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Everything costs extra! Except genetic counseling is free.
Because the lab has to stick a needle into the zona palusa to get the sample for PGS, it increases the risk of the egg splitting so Dr. Shapiro encourages eSET. He also stresses the risks of multiple pregnancies.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo is very kind and does not make you feel like a number. He was also open to trying new things and did not dismiss my ideas. I liked that I always saw him and felt like I had continuity of care. My only gripe would be that he would quote prices for treatment that were half of the actual cost...I have RPL with a second trimester loss, so I was prescribed lovenox for possible clotting disorders for which there are no tests, crinone, metformin for PCOS, thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, baby aspirin, folate for MTHFR, and prednisone. He performed two hysteroscopies in which he found a septum and polyps following use of estrogen after the removal of the septum. He thought the septum might have been the reason for our 2nd trimester loss. I also did two rounds with Femara IUIs that were unsuccessful. He then recommended IVF with PGS as I have not been able to get pregnant in the last 15 months despite treatment.
They [RBA nurses] respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed...Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment...My LH surges happen at night, and the nurse told me to just not test after 3:00 pm because the office would be closed when I find out that I was surging. Seemed like a weird thing when you can call in the am to get in for the IUI...I have RPL with a second trimester loss, so I was prescribed lovenox for possible clotting disorders for which there are no tests, crinone, metformin for PCOS, thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, baby aspirin, folate for MTHFR, and prednisone. He performed two hysteroscopies in which he found a septum and polyps following use of estrogen after the removal of the septum. He thought the septum might have been the reason for our 2nd trimester loss. I also did two rounds with Femara IUIs that were unsuccessful. He then recommended IVF with PGS as I have not been able to get pregnant in the last 15 months despite treatment.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Make sure you call the billing office to confirm costs of all treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
They respond super to email. Phone calls were delayed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
For an IVF with PGS cycle, the cost is between $30,000.00 to $33,000.00. That seems really high in comparison to some other clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
For IUI it was around $550.00 for the actual insemination, but you needed at least two ultrasounds that were around $245.00 a piece. If you trigger, they require 2 back to back inseminations.
He recommends a single embryo transfer for my age and the first cycle.
2013 - 2017, Successful
I never expected to find a doctor so openly compassionate and caring, but Dr. Brahma was all of that and more. She was easy to contact and easy to talk to. She spoke of my infertility in ways that made it easy to understand and sought out treatment for me and my partner that would get us as close to a successful outcome as she could. We always felt welcomed with her...We initially had my partners semen tested and found that due to male factor infertility, we would need to move on to working on him first. We then saw a doctor for him, he underwent a biopsy and medication to improve his sperm count and motility. We then tried clomid to induce ovulation in me for an IUI cycle, but I didn't respond. We then tried clomid and injectible medication but the she was unhappy with the time it was taking for my egg follicles to mature and was worried that even with my partners improved sperm, the chance of success with IUI would be low. She then suggested IVF. We began planning for that, but found out during planning that I had been diagnosed with a rare visual impairment. With this diagnosis, we decided to pursue using an egg donor. We spoke with 2 counselors and chose our donor and then had the eggs fertilized with my partners sperm. The eggs that survived to day 5 of maturity were then frozen. We then began our frozen embryo transfer cycles. The first cycle I was put on antibiotics, estrogen, baby aspirin, and progesterone in oil injections. The transfer was a success and I found out I was pregnant 10 days later. Unfortunately, I then miscarried at 5.5 weeks. After the miscarriage, a SHG was performed to make sure my uterus was clear and we moved on to the next transfer cycle. This cycle I was on estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections and lovenox to rule out any possible blood clotting issue. That transfer was a failure. The third transfer she decided on a more aggressive approach and I was on 20 days of antibiotics then estrogen, baby aspirin, folgard, prescription folic acid, progesterone in oil injections, crinone and lovenox. This transfer was successful and I was released from Dr. Brahms's care at 9 weeks pregnant.
We had decent insurance coverage so most of our office visits and routine procedures were mostly covered. The largest expense was the transfer cycles that were out of pocket and all together cost about $22,000...The nursing staff was excellent and easy to communicate with via phone or email. The always took time answer my questions and were kind and supportive...This clinic [RBA] is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She is a sought after and busy doctor, so it may take awhile to get in to see her initially, but she is definitely worth the wait.
She was caring and kind. She always remembered me even though I'm sure she had many, many patients. She never made me feel like I was just one person out of hundreds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Karen Brierley)
Describe your experience with RBA.
This clinic is very busy and travel to and from can be tedious if you do t live nearby. However, the entire staff is beyond friendly and the office is nicely appointed with complimentary classes and seminars available to prospective, new and existing patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Brahma had a strong opinion on eSET. She felt that the risk to the unborn child and mother were too great to risk a pregnancy with multiples and that transferring more than one embryo did not give us any statistical advantage in becoming pregnant. To her, the risk was not worth the reward and I agreed.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Slayden and his nurses were respectful and caring during a very emotional time in my life....Don’t let his straightforwardness turn you away. He really cares and will do all he can to help you have a baby....He’s very straightforward and doesn’t leave any detail out. Very through in his meetings with us. We knew exactly what to expect. He showed compassion when things didn’t turn out quite like we hoped....He suggested we transfer two at a time. The first transfer resulted in a failed cycle. The second transfer resulted in a precious baby girl.
We love our clinics [RBA]. Very inviting and professional. We used the office in Lawrencville more than the main office. The office staff there was expectional. I especially love my ultrasound tech, Kimi. She was amazing and so friendly. I love how she shared her story with me. I didn’t feel so alone....Becky was our nurse and she is AWESOME!! She emailed and called frequently to give us updates and keep us on track. I could always call her with questions and concerns and she always got right back to me.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
All along the way Dr. Slayden and his nurses told us what to expect. We did a egg retrieval in the summer and two transfers in fall and winter. Each and every time all aspects were explained and time was given for us to ask questions. During heartbreak they were compassionate and told us we would keep trying until we had a precious baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Becky )
Becky was our nurse and she is AWESOME!! She emailed and called frequently to give us updates and keep us on track. I could always call her with questions and concerns and she always got right back to me. Very caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RBA.
We love our clinics. Very inviting and professional. We used the office in Lawrencville more than the main office. The office staff there was expectional. I especially love my ultrasound tech, Kimi. She was amazing and so friendly. I love how she shared her story with me. I didn’t feel so alone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
I can’t remember the exact costs of our treatments, but there weren’t any surprises. They would let us know what was expected and provide payment option. We were blessed to be able to pay for our treatment without any assistance. No hidden figures at all. Everything was explained very well.
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Sandy Springs

She [Pavna Brahma] has probably the best bedside manner I've ever seen in a physician and I'm around doctors all day in my profession as a physician assistant. She is kind, gentle, warm and calm. She was frank but kind and always honest with us. She spends more than ample time with her patients explaining the procedures, risks and probability of success. I can't recommend her enough. In fact, I've recommended her already to many friends.
Dr Brahms's nurse Mary is amazing. She's so reliable and always responded back immediately when I called with questions or concerns. She provided me when samples when available too. She's also an incredibly sweet person...The IVF cycle was $14500. I believe each IUI cycle was $1500 and we did 3. The mediations cost us around another $1000...[RBA is the] Top of the line fertility clinic. It's the most expensive in Georgia but they have the best results, I think it's worth the extra cost
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Once again, she has probably the best bedside manner I've ever seen in a physician and I'm around doctors all day in my profession as a physician assistant. She is kind, gentle, warm and calm. She was frank but kind and always honest with us. She spends more than ample time with her patients explaining the procedures, risks and probability of success. I can't recommend her enough. In fact, I've recommended her already to many friends.
Prepare yourself mentally for the cost, which while it is ridiculously expensive, is well worth it
Dr Brahma has some of the best bed side manner of a doctor I've ever seen. She spends so much time with her patients in her office explaining everything in great detail, drawing diagrams and making sure all questions are answered. She is patient and listens. She is warm and extremely caring
We attempted IUI with clomid for 3 cycles without success and then proceeded to IVF. We completed one cycle of IVF with successful egg transfer and initially 6 embryos created using ICSI. Unfortunately only 2 embryos survived and we were recommend to implant both on Day 3 so we did a fresh transfer with the 2 embryos and 1 implanted successfully. We gave birth to a completely healthy baby girl 3 months ago :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Our doctor initially recommended we only do a single embryo transfer but on the day of transfer a different doctor was on call and he and the embryologist recommended since our only 2 embryos were not looking great that we proceed with 2 and in the moment we said yes. I'm glad we did, otherwise may not have had the success that we did
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Once they lost our consent forms after we had to get them notarized. It was a small inconvenience. It probably happened because we were being seen at both her piedmont and main office and the staff misplaced them in the transferring between offices.
Sandy Springs

Sometimes his [Dr. Daniel Shapiro's] explanations were too complicated but I was fine with that, i got the gist and more importantly knew what he new. The first consultation was over 75 minutes and he laid out a plan and prediction at each step. His analysis at each step was accurate and with each step I gained more confidence that we would have a baby after 2 years of infertility treatments. Not only do I think he finally cracked the case on my infertility but but also that confidence was new and I think changed the outcome.
Jennifer [a nurse at BRA] was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence...About $12k total for 1 IVF cycle but they broke it up so smartly that for our January cycle we were able to get medicine in December for the cost of $0 because I had met my deductible. I had a $5000 credit for IVF from work and then magically we got a $2000 refund at the end. Out of pocket we only ended up paying about $4k for this IVF cycle!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Extremely intelligent and a thought leader in the space. Sometimes his explanations were too complicated but I was fine with that, i got the gist and more importantly knew what he new. The first consultation was over 75 minutes and he laid out a plan and prediction at each step. His analysis at each step was accurate and with each step I gained more confidence that we would have a baby after 2 years of infertility treatments. Not only do I think he finally cracked the case on my infertility but but also that confidence was new and I think changed the outcome.
Take notes. He is so smart and fast and it's helpful to have notes to refer back to.
Always prepared for my case, hours response time to questions via email, always ready during appointments and fully understood that I was juggling job.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Cunningham )
Jennifer was there at the end of every single appointment, ultrasound, visit with a summary and next steps. Anything i needed she was there with an answer same business day. She completed dr. Shapiros team by providing the consistent presence.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Having been to another clinic, this was head & shoulders above. Clean, medically advanced, set up to flow.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I wanted 2 with hope of having 1 baby. Dr. Shapiro strongly, very strongly, said one was enough and had enough medical evidence of why 1 was better that we listened.
Sandy Springs

Dr. Straub seemed like a great choice at first. He answered all my questions and explained everything thoroughly even drawing diagrams. But when it came down to it he was just to cut and dry. My husband (who had a varicocoele and subsequent surgery)...his doctor said we definitely had options as far as treatments, but Dr. Straub made it appear like IVF was the ONLY way to go...He was very natter of fact about the process...not optimistic, or giving false hope....but more like this is how it goes...only that is the case when everything goes exactly according to plan.
Very efficient, good communication [at RBA - Atl Main]...open short hours though which can be difficult when calling....The staff was always wonderful...The head nurse Karen is excellent. I had another experience with a nurse Jenni that she lied. I asked if the Dr had received updated sperm analysis results and his recommendation was still IVF, she said yes. On my next meeting with Dr. Straub I asked him the same question directly based and the most resent Soren analysis results...he said he did not even have them yet.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub seemed like a great choice at first. He answered all my questions and explained everything thoroughly even drawing diagrams. But when it came down to it he was just to cut and dry. My husband (who had a varicocoele and subsequent surgery)...his doctor said we definitely had options as far as treatments, but Dr. Straub made it appear like IVF was the ONLY way to go. When asking if there was anything else to investigate on my end he was a bit flippant and said he could always find more tests to do. I was going to go ahead and do IVF and after try to look at treating any underlying issues, which I honestly felt he was overlooking due to the fact his goal is to get a baby and the way to do that was IVF regardless of any other issues. I ordered and received all the IVF drugs, but I couldn't go through with it because I just didn't feel comfortable with the decision and his pushiness of IVF over anything else. I should be at peace with my decision and happy to be starting to get somewhere on our fertility journey and maybe finally get our baby. Also after reading versions blogs on infertility and others experiences with egg retrieval I learned that some retrieval cycles are aborted for various reasons, which he never even mentioned as a possible outcome. He was very natter of fact about the process...not optimistic, or giving false hope....but more like this is how it goes...only that is the case when everything goes exactly according to plan.
Do not expect to get any emotional support from him.
The staff was always wonderful...Dr. Straub on the other hand was very blunt which is fine but not always the best attitude when dealing with a major decision such as IVF
I first met with Dr. Straub to assess if I had any issues contributing to our infertility. My husband had a varicocoele and subsequent surgery to correct it. There was originally low motility with 20% acrosomal defects. The surgery improved his numbers and his specialist (within the same practice) said the numbers were good enough for various treatment options. Dr. Straub had me complete bloodwork and a FemVue. Everything turned out normal. I am on thyroid meds and that was ok. My AMH was low normal so he suggested IVF based on some low sperm results (bad sample). Even after a new sperm analysis with good numbers...still pushing IVF, and was flippant when I asked if anything else to look at on my end (due to husbands doctor reporting an increase of 10% natural conception to now 60% now after surgery...but still no success) I wonder if there isn't some underlying issue on my end...but It seems Dr. Straubs goal is Baby, not treatment. I was supposed to start IVF (the drugs are in my fridge) but I did not feel confident or happy about the decision. I will now be transferring to another Dr. Within the practice.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Very efficient, good communication...open short hours though which can be difficult when calling. In general no complaints about the clinic, just DrSttaub, but will be remaining with the practice, just a different doctor
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
Luckily we do have insurance coverage, which it has been suggested to me was the reason behind him pushing IVF so hard
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Just the instance previously described if Dr straubs nurse jenni lying that Dr had seen results and had same recommendation when he hadn't even seen the results. And issue with Dr. Straub
Robert Straub

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Shapiro spent time reviewing what we'd tried previously that hadn't worked...He gave me the statistics but largely let me call the shots. He was concerned about making me happy, not about his clinic's statistics (and it paid off for both of us!)...He made me feel hopeful and confident. Even if we hadn't been blessed with our daughter, I would have been thankful to him for the opportunity he gave us (letting me try what I wanted to try, thereby erasing all doubt about what "could have been if only...")...
[RBA - Atl Main] Weaknesses: Have to pay for parking. Strengths: Everything else! Seriously, they are the best. Never had to wait long for appointments, was always able to get an appointment before work, they worked with me on a payment plan, ladies who drew blood were excellent, and my absolute favorite thing (especially after coming from ACRM) was that I got to see MY doctor after every monitoring appointment. This place is run so efficiently it's almost unbelievable...
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shaprio is smart, well-read/educated, compassionate, and trustworthy. He is an excellent communicator and by all appearances just a quality human being. It was SO refreshing to come to him after our nightmare of an experience at our last clinic. He made me feel hopeful and confident. Even if we hadn't been blessed with our daughter, I would have been thankful to him for the opportunity he gave us (letting me try what I wanted to try, thereby erasing all doubt about what "could have been if only...").
See him sooner rather than later!
Dr. Shapiro spent time reviewing what we'd tried previously that hadn't worked. He listened to (and agreed to) what I wanted to try differently based on research I had done. He validated observations that other doctors dismissed. He promised not to cancel pre-retrieval as long as there was *something* to go after. He gave me the statistics but largely let me call the shots. He was concerned about making me happy, not about his clinic's statistics (and it paid off for both of us!).
All three of my previous pregnancies had followed the use of a Z-pak. Although research says there should be no correlation, I knew in my gut there was so he treated me with both a Z-pak and Flagyl. Also, I strongly suspected my losses were related to some undiagnosed immune issue and begged to be treated with Lovenox. He agreed there were likely immune issues that the scientific community had not yet even identified, much less produced a test for, so he treated me with Lovenox. I am now the proud mommy of a beautiful 14-month old!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer was an excellent nurse but not very warm-and-fuzzy (which was ok as I didn't need that at that point, especially since Dr. Shapiro is sufficiently so).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was very fortunate to have insurance coverage that covered a lot. I think I paid ~$3,000 to RBA (plus some for meds that insurance didn't cover).

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
My husband and I felt great about our doctor choice, [Dr. Slayden], at the beginning- however as time went on, it became evident that nobody at the doctor's office had our best interest at heart. We have the overwhelming feeling that this is almost like an IVF factory...all treatment plans are the same- patients are just looked at as data, not individuals with individual needs and circumstances...
RBA has 3 offices. I have been to 2- the main office in Atlanta and Dr. Slayden's office in Gwinnett. The main office is very nice. The appearance is upscale and the staff is professional. This is where most of the procedures and surgeries take place. Dr. Slayden's office is older and more run-down. The nicest thing about this office is that they validate your parking...I was always able to go first thing in the morning to get my ultrasounds and blood-work done. I rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes. The ultrasound tech is efficient and knowledgeable...
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden makes a good first impression. He is friendly and comes across very personable. I now realize, he is a good salesman. Many of the facts and numbers he gave us were confusing. He used a bunch of metaphors that really downplayed what we were going through. ("If we were playing football and I were the quarterback, here's what I would do...") This is a turning point in our family, not a football game. My husband and I consulted with Dr. Slayden after 3 consecutive unexplained miscarriages. We were looking for options. Dr. Slayden explained to us that IVF with genetic testing was our best option because he felt 99% sure that genetic abnormalities caused our miscarriages. Dr. Slayden all but guaranteed us we would find success through IVF. After running all of the tests, he compared my chances to that of an 18 year old. My husband and I were thrilled. We completed the egg retrieval, genetic testing, and embryo transfer without success. Dr. Slayden called to tell me the pregnancy test was negative and said, "I'm ready to try again." I had JUST found out our time (6 months), money ($25,000), and emotion (inexplicable) had been wasted. I was not ready. We decided to take a break to let my body and our bank account adjust from the whole ordeal. When we were ready after a few months, Dr. Slayden suggested we try a natural/non medicated cycle. We first did an endometrial biopsy (I'm not exactly sure why). Unfortunately, we tried for 2 months- but my cycles were inconsistent so we weren't able to do the transfer. Each time, Dr. Slayden suggested we move to a medicated cycle. My husband and I weren't sure why the change of treatment plan was so quick. We felt very confused about what our best option was. For 5 months after our first transfer, my cycles remained inconsistent. Most were upwards of 35 days. I spoke to Dr. Slalyden about this and he casually said, "That is common since you have PCOS." He had NEVER mentioned PCOS in any of our communications. I questioned him and his reply was, "You COULD have PCOS. It can develop over time." He then told me he thinks I should move forward with a surrogate. That was so absolutely confusing since he always seemed so confident in our chances of success through IVF on my own. His reasons for why he said that was even more confusing...I can't begin to explain it here. He scheduled me for some blood-work and the resulting diagnosis is I "may possibly" have PCOS. That diagnosis is frustrating in itself, aside from the fact I certainly thought we would have tested for something so common prior to this point in my treatment. Especially something that can be treated without IVF. My husband and I are now more confused than ever. We did all of the initial work to make as many embryos as possible and now they are 'owned' by Dr. Slayden and RBA. We feel very helpless and it seems like our only option is to move forward with another medicated cycle. There is no change in the treatment plan although our first attempt was unsuccessful. I now "may possibly" have PCOS. We aren't sure if a surrogate is a better option. We are out of money and our patience is running thin.
Research other options.
My husband and I felt great about our doctor choice at the beginning- however as time went on, it became evident that nobody at the doctor's office had our best interest at heart. We have the overwhelming feeling that this is almost like an IVF factory...all treatment plans are the same- patients are just looked at as data, not individuals with individual needs and circumstances.
Egg Retrieval Protocol: Birth Control with start of cycle for 25 days (regulate my cycle) Ultrasound and Blood-work Gonal F after BC for 5 days (produce eggs) Ultrasound and Blood-work Gonal F and Ganirelix for 5 more days (produce eggs and then ovulate) Ultrasounds and Blood-work every-other day Egg Retrieval Surgery (39 days after staring BC) Frozen Transfer Protocol: Lupron on Day 21 of cycle (not sure what the purpose is) Estrogen Replacement on Day 1 of next cycle (prep body for pregnancy) Begin Baby Asprin, Progesterone, and Medrol (prep body for pregnancy) Decrease Lupron, increase Estrogen Antibiotic for 5 days prior to transfer (in case of infection) Ultrasound and Blood-work (determine if lining is adequate for transfer) Embryo Transfer (approx 30 days after starting Lupron) Negative Pregnancy Test 7 days after transfer
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
I was told I was assigned to a particular nurse, Tracy. She seemed knowledgeable and friendly. However, I spoke to a number of nurses throughout my phone calls and appointments at this office. My first cause of frustration was when we began our first cycle and it wasn't clear why I was taking the medication. I may be unusual- however I like to understand the purpose of medications I'm putting in my body. Common answers were, "This is what Dr. Slayden wrote on your chart." ...or... "Don't worry about that, it will be fine." Most frustrating was when I saw the warning label on my progesterone medication mention DO NOT take if you have a history of miscarriage. I called the nurse to address my concerns since I have had 3 miscarriages. She told me, "Just ignore that part...don't even look at it." I also find it frustrating that the nursing staff rarely calls with test results. I can only remember 2 times (out of probably 15) that I have gotten a call with my results. I always have to call them or wait until my next appointment so I can ask about my results. The most concerning issue is that the nurses have (more than once) miscommunicated the medications I have taken or am currently taking. For example: When I first started treatment, Dr. Slayden had me on a thyroid medicine because my number was slightly higher than average. I asked the nurse how long I needed to take the medicine and she said, "For a long time, probably until another doctor down the road tells you to stop." (I prefer my medical staff to be more specific than that.) When I started my most recent cycle, the nurse told me I needed to come in and get my thyroid checked because it had been 6 months since my last check. She then (mistakenly) corrected herself and said, "No you're actually fine since you have never had any issues or had to take medication for your thyroid." I have taken medication for my thyroid...prescribed by them. The overall feel of the nursing staff is that they just want to get me out of the office, or off of the phone. It seems like they just want me to stop asking questions and do as I am told. Unfortunately, I don't have the trust in Dr. Slayden or his nurses to stop asking questions. My gut and their history of mistakes lead me to believe I am the only one being diligent about the quality of my care. I will mention one nurse, Becky, who has been helpful and informative every time I have spoken to her.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
$14,500 egg retrieval $3,000 medication (not paid to the doctor) $3,000 (approx) genetic testing (not paid to the doctor) $4,000 transfer cycle $1,000 medication (not paid to the doctor) $500 yearly for frozen embryos
2016, Unknown Success
Be prepared to take advantage of his [Dr. Toledo] time and knowledge. I had really done my research and had a list of questions. Take notes of what he tells you and just keep track of all documents. I think he's great but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the business and financial side of this process. That being said I'm still in the middle of it.
Be prepared to take advantage of his [Dr. Toledo] time and knowledge. I had really done my research and had a list of questions. Take notes of what he tells you and just keep track of all documents. I think he's great but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the business and financial side of this process [at RBA]. That being said I'm still in the middle of it.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I just started the egg preservation process. My first appointment was great. Dr. Toledo really took the time to explain everything to me. I had signed up for an free education seminar on egg preservation they offer. The seminar includes free AMH testing. The staff said I couldn't do this and that I would have to pay for that lab test since I was already an established patient. They only offer this free screening for non practice patients to draw in business. I spoke to the practice manager, given that insurance pays for NONE of this and I'm paying >$13,000 for all this, you would think I could take advantage of some free screening. After going back and forth they allowed it but when I went in to the office they made me feel like I was a "problem" patient. I had a slew of other lab work done and was never called with results. I had my follow up with Dr. Toledo this week. When I sat down with him he was under the assumption I was aware of my results and the conversation was a little awkward. That being said he explained everything thoroughly and discussed all my options. I had asked for a copy of my blood work which they couldn't give me right away. Someone from medical records had to follow up with me. It's my own blood work, not sure why they couldn't just give that to me.
Be prepared to take advantage of his time and knowledge. I had really done my research and had a list of questions. Take notes of what he tells you and just keep track of all documents. I think he's great but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the business and financial side of this process. That being said I'm still in the middle of it.
Dr. Toldedo was very personable and sympathetic. He has great bedside manor.
$8000 deposit $ 3-5k foe hormones $labs $ office visit

2013 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Shapiro is] Intelligent - good communicator - encouraging and in depth - they are Able to have process start remotely which was great as I was working elsewhere and want to get started...Be prepared if you are long distance not living in ATL that you can self administer your shots at first stages. This was unique for me and I had a nurse friend come over for first steps then I was comfortable doing that by myself.
[the RBA staff is] Well educated, Good outcome 23 eggs I’m also super health conscious and always have been They could do more follow up to confirm Eggs are safe and doing well They show compassion and ask about life goals...[the RBA nurses were] Kind and complete in communication and also available by email and phone if I had questions along the way...They were very supportive of all my questions
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Intelligent - good communicator - encouraging and in depth - they are Able to have process start remotely which was great as I was working elsewhere and want to get started - I definitely want children as soon as I get married and want This within the year
Ask all questions you have and he will be very helpful. Be prepared if you are long distance not living in ATL that you can self administer your shots at first stages. This was unique for me and I had a nurse friend come over for first steps then I was comfortable doing that by myself. Trust all the steps they provide and follow them. Healthful living is key and I’ve always done that (nutrition, sleep, healthful patterns overall)
Complete communication without rushing and the doctors took time to discuss any questions I had as my objective was to have a great outcome which I did as I froze 23 eggs successfully. I definitely look forward to carrying my own biological children.
I had shots Sent to me by mail leading up to flying out to ATL stay there for a few days and then retrieval that went very well - 23 eggs - I went through some life curveballs cancelled wedding etc and not knowing truth until years later so this inspired me to take this step to have options as I for sure want to have my own biological children
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: There were a few )
Kind and complete in communication and also available by email and phone if I had questions along the way. I am a Stanford grad so I am one to research and be very analytical to optimize outcomes. They were very supportive of all my questions
Describe your experience with RBA.
Well educated Good outcome 23 eggs I’m also super health conscious and always have been They could do more follow up to confirm Eggs are safe and doing well They show compassion and ask about life goals
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I can discuss by phone with you
I have yet to do an embryo transfer but want to for sure. I know Dr. Shapiro and his team are very detail oriented about options.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best was the first doctor I saw regarding infertility. I went to my initial consult alone. I felt like a deer in an open field on the first day of hunting season at that appointment. I also felt very dumb. Something is wrong, but I have no idea what and I am sitting on the other side of a desk with a woman in a white coat, who is looking at me with the most gentle eyes and kind smile, and I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. The things that we talked about and the ways Dr. Best educated me are things that I still remember, fondly. I was hellbent on freezing my husband's sperm, he has a chronic disease that is half of why we needed IVF, and she was very nicely explaining that, yes, that's fine, but we really want embryos. Embryos equal babies. She was very knowledgeable and well read on current literature/studies/research, which is very important to me.
N/A.
Dr. Best is a warm and caring woman. She was transparent about her own fertility struggles, which she didn't need to be. This is almost reason enough to see her for treatment, she understands this both medically AND personally. How many doctors can say that?
We only met with Dr. Best maybe three times total, and did not pursue treatment with her/RBA. We learned that the work up/diagnostic testing was covered under my husband's insurance at Emory. After further research, we also learned that the cost of a fresh IVF cycle with ICSI was dramatically less expensive at Emory. Dr. Best/RBA wanted my husband to see a urologist for his junky sperm. This would not be covered by insurance. When we discussed this at Emory, they said, (paraphrasing), "who cares, we know it's bad, let's make you a baby."
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
I don't remember anything about the nurse (Jamie? Jessica?) who drew my blood.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA has two offices, I think. I went to the one in Atlanta for the thing where they shoot saline into your uterus, and all my other appts were in the Kennestone Outpatient Pavilion in Marietta. I can't speak to the overall strengths or weaknesses of the clinic, in either location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
When we got pricing sheet for RBA, everything was listed "a la carte". It was nearly impossible to follow, a lot of it because we were still (blissfully) unaware of all the medical terms and meanings and also because it was so extensive. Because our insurance offered ZERO coverage for anything done, we got bills immediately, had to pay a lot of money up front for things, and just were not prepared. My husband was the cooler head, for sure. I was very much, "just take my money and make me a baby, I will pay anything". It was insane how much money we paid, and we hadn't even gotten to the actual baby making part yet! This is the biggest reason we did not pursue treatment with RBA.

2015, Successful
From the initial phone consult through the delivery of my child, I was always able to get a quick response to any questions or concerns that I had. There were times I expected to receive a call from the nurse only to have Dr. Shapiro call me himself!...Dr. Shapiro was very thorough in explaining the donor egg process to me and addressed all of my questions with answers that were easily understandable. He was patient, straight forward yet approachable and made me feel at ease through the entire process.
Jenny [nurse at RBA] was proactive about communicating with me and very responsive to questions via email. I'm a big planner and need a lot of information, and Jenny was very helpful in helping me understand every step in the process even when there were still several unknowns around timing...RBA pioneered the frozen donor egg process and they know their stuff regarding this process. Work closely with the donor coordinator to find a good match for you. There are new donors posted all the time and they don't stay in the bank long, so if you find one you like, be prepared to act quickly.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
I did a donor egg cycle with Dr. Shapiro, using Lupron to suppress my ovulation, then starting estrogen and progesterone supplementation as we approached the transfer to thicken my uterine lining. I stayed on the estrogen and progesterone through most of my first trimester. Dr. Shapiro's office worked with me to let me select the form of estrogen and progesterone I preferred and was covered by my insurance; i used estrogen patches and Crinone. I was also given Doxycycline and Medrol in the days immediately proceeding my transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Jenny was proactive about communicating with me and very responsive to questions via email. I'm a big planner and need a lot of information, and Jenny was very helpful in helping me understand every step in the process even when there were still several unknowns around timing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I chose the 2 High Quality Embryo guarantee program, which included the donor eggs (6), fertilization via ICSI, transfer and all associated appointments. Cycle medicines were the only thing not included in the cost, i believe. The 2 HQE cost was $18K, but my insurance did end up covering some of the transfer costs, so I received a portion of that as a refund back from RBA.
2012 - 2014, Successful
I always felt like I was his [Dr. Toledo's] most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be...caring & understanding. He always spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
All of the nurses [at RBA] were wonderful!...It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly....Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible...I always felt like I was his [Dr. Toledo's] most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I always felt like I was his most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
You probably won't get in to see him as quickly as you might like, but I promise he is worth waiting to see.
Dr. Toledo was so warm, patient, caring & understanding. He always spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
I do not remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
All of the nurses were wonderful! I was sad to leave them once I was passed 12 weeks.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly. When I did my IUIs with another doctor in the practice I didn't always get to see her which was a negative for me. Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible. When I was first at the practice I don't believe there were any support groups available which would have been helpful. I do believe that may have changed since then. I think support groups for different issues would be a great thing for them to offer their patients. ...........................
I don't remember
We first did a single embryo transfer at Dr. Toledo's recommendation. It didn't result in a pregnancy. The next time we transferred two at his recommendation which resulted in one baby. For our second child he recommended two again but we chose do transfer just one as we were not in a hurry and did not want multiples and that resulted in one baby.
2013 - 2014, Successful
Care was specialized and custom to my past fertility issues. Testing and treatment was thorough, explained and I was made to feel comfortable with the fact that there were things beyond my control however my doctor assured me that I can achieve a pregnancy with help...Dr. Mitchell-Leef was direct, candid and honest. I appreciated her complete candor and the ability to tell me exactly what was going on without making me feel like a failure. She was able to show empathy and presented a well structured plan to help me achieve my goal. I felt very much like part of a team that was willing to work hard for the best outcome attainable.
Care was specialized and custom to my past fertility issues. Testing and treatment was thorough, explained and I was made to feel comfortable with the fact that there were things beyond my control however my doctor assured me that I can achieve a pregnancy with help...My nurse and care coordinator were incredibly compassionate, great listeners, very good communicators and always calm and caring.
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Stay the course, ask questions if you are uncertain and rely on the experts. From the nurses to the doctors, believe in them and trust them and you will succeed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Describe the protocols Dorothy Mitchell-Leef used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I used donor eggs given my age and history so the preparation is standard with the hormone and steroid injections. My first implantation failed so my dr. and her team met to discuss the outcome and she changed the protocol to add a uterine scratch test. There was a marginal change in the injection protocol, but after the scratch test and the second implantation I had a positive HCG
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Ellsworth)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is professional, has a warm environment yet definitely is very high quality. Exactly what I expected for the money.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA.
Describe Dorothy Mitchell-Leef's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Very strong approach to single implantation. We were happy with that decision.
Dorothy Mitchell-Leef
2013, Successful
Dr. Shapiro had genuine compassion, delicately expressed, and was truly with us along the way ... After 5 cycles at another top clinic in the country, that either failed or resulted in miscarriage, Dr. Shapiro read our chart, new exactly what to do and handled everything with his uncharted brilliance and delicacy. I respect him so much as a person. ... We used icsi and out of 9 embryos, 8 came back genetically perfect.
It was with one ultrasound technician who, unaware of a heterotopic pregnancy, raised her voice to me that I was "making myself bleed by coming in for ultrasounds," which, would have killed me had I not since I was bleeding internally. Additionally, 5 times RBA has transmitted the wrong insurance information and lost documentation of having been paid. ... The billing dept was short and rude, and though ultimately discovered they were in the wrong. It was a massive headache and somewhat traumatic
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro was truly compassionate, beyond careful, and perfectly funny. We care for him so much. After 5 cycles at another top clinic in the country, that either failed or resulted in miscarriage, Dr. Shapiro read our chart, new exactly what to do and handled everything with his uncharted brilliance and delicacy. I respect him so much as a person.
Just do it.
I remember that we lessened the amount of medication that I had been put on from another clinic. We used icsi and out of 9 embryos, 8 came back genetically perfect.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
We had one nurse who was very harsh and incorrect about a complication that arose. Also, the billing team repeatedly billed things wrong, lost payments, never accounted for payments and were very rude despite being totally in the wrong every single time, not accounting for thousands of dollars.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The doctor is amazing, billing department was terrible to deal with. But it is worth it. Document everything that you pay, etc., and you will have to talk to insurance, etc. But I always felt like I was in phenomenal hands with doctors there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We had insurance coverage so it was minimal
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
It was with one ultrasound technician who, unaware of a heterotopic pregnancy, raised her voice to me that I was "making myself bleed by coming in for ultrasounds," which, would have killed me had I not since I was bleeding internally. Additionally, 5 times RBA has transmitted the wrong insurance information and lost documentation of having been paid. I also had to go through a third party doctor to get approval for payment because they filed incorrectly. Then was called two years later demanding payment, even though they were paid. The billing dept was short and rude, and though ultimately discovered they were in the wrong. It was a massive headache and somewhat traumatic
2010 - 2013, Successful
He [Dr Slayden] treated us for our infertility, one time ending with tubal pregnancy (which he himself performed the operation to remove the tube - in fact he insisted upon it!), and the other two pregnancies ended with two sets of twins. He rejoiced greatly with us when we were able to get pregnant, and often told us of other cases that gave him great hope from his past. His staff, especially Nancy, were caring with all of our questions, and were certain to get back to us as soon as they could about any questions that we had. They never blew us off even with the silliest of questions.
They [the staff at RBA] are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden was very straightforward about the expectations and realities of our particular infertility. He made sure to tell us the risks that were inherent with our treatment, but was also optimistic about our chances of pregnancy. We almost always saw Dr. Slayden for appointments, and during transfers, he was present and was in complete control of the room. He also made sure to state his success rates versus the national average. Also, he made us feel at ease with him from the first visit.
Be open and honest with Dr. Slayden. He can see through hesitancy or lies.
Dr. Slayden and his staff always treated us as a family member would do. We always felt more than just a case. He always was fair and straightforward without being mean or painful. He treated us for our infertility, one time ending with tubal pregnancy (which he himself performed the operation to remove the tube - in fact he insisted upon it!), and the other two pregnancies ended with two sets of twins. He rejoiced greatly with us when we were able to get pregnant, and often told us of other cases that gave him great hope from his past. His staff, especially Nancy, were caring with all of our questions, and were certain to get back to us as soon as they could about any questions that we had. They never blew us off even with the silliest of questions.
We used clomid at first to see if we could get pregnant that way. This ended up not being successful in getting pregnant. We ended up doing a full egg retrieval using various drugs that were very successful (38 eggs retrieved). We ended up using progesterone shots for four weeks before transfer, then for the next six weeks after implant twice per day. We also used a steroid shot before implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was the best. She always was compassionate, but also stern to make sure we were following our care plan. She wanted us to have the best chance of success. She also made sure that we were coordinated with the pharmacy, as well as the business office.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The office does have pay to park at their facility in Sandy Springs (the one we went to). There is sometimes a bit of a wait for your nurse and doctor, but not long. They are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
We had costs for various procedures. Per our insurance, they covered everything UNTIL we had the prognosis of infertility. This was not a problem with the clinic, but rather our insurance. Dr. Slayden put off a full diagnosis until the last possible moment to allow insurance to pay for a great deal of our treatment. We had costs for the operating room for embryo retrieval, as well as for our embryologist. This was covered in a 'down payment', which was used up by the time we were finished. Costs for freezing was very low per year, and the second cycle was much cheaper than the first. There were no additional costs outside of treatment for the second cycle.